Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the program. We're fully assembled on this Wednesday. The Minister of Humor, Fritzi is here seating his back Marvin Pauli, yours truly in the backroom, guys. And the garage sale, the yard sale. The tag sale continues at Danpatrick dot com, clearing out inventory for the spring. Everything must Go. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. First, how we're brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. If you don't have the right team, they can help from contract replacements to full time hires.
Speaker 3: They've got your covered.
Speaker 2: Visit Expresspros dot Com today and let them handle your hiring so you can focus on growing your business. Play the Daypole question, stat of the Day, All of that forthcoming. We'll get phone calls eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address EPA Danpatrick dot com and our Twitter handle at TP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. And we say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country, including iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio. We'll check in with the former NFL defensive back now an analyst at the Mothership. One of the smartest football people I know, Dominic Foxworth will join us. Former Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett a little bit later on as well. Not a free agent frenzy yesterday, but still some notable names.
Speaker 3: Joey Bosa going to Buffalo.
Speaker 2: That to me is spicy because I thought he might go to San Francisco to play with his brother, but he goes to Buffalo.
Speaker 3: That's a nice addition for them.
Speaker 2: DeAndre Hopkins going to the Ravens got a lot of coverage, too much coverage because I think we're still living in twenty fifteen. You know, Raven's got d hop Okay, they're going to get DeAndre Hopkins and hope that he has one or two games where you go, that's why they got him. Maybe he's going to have seven catches where you go, Ah, look at those catches, and they might be big catches for them. But DeAndre Hopkins getting a hundred balls not going to happen. But DeAndre Hopkins going to the Ravens, Joey Bosa goes to Buffalo. March madness punching their tickets. Bob Morris, UNC, Wilmington, Saint Francis of PA, and Gonzaga. The Cleveland Cavaliers are getting too good for shows networks to avoid them. I mean, that's how good they've gotten, because I can guarantee you Mothership and Fox and anybody else is.
Speaker 3: Going they want again, they want again.
Speaker 2: They're fifty five and ten. That's tied for the fifth best record through sixty five games in NBA history. You have to cover them now. Not exciting. I watch them. They're a really good team. They're a balanced team. I mean, that's not the kind of thing where you go, hey, tonight the Cavaliers. All right, hey, tune in for teamwork tonight. Watch the Cavaliers play both ends of the floor tonight on TNT yes Seaton.
Speaker 4: Which is funny because it's kind of what critics of the NBA are always looking for. Where's the fundamentals, where's the teamwork? All this individual iso play, That's not the game I grew up watching.
Speaker 2: So the Cavaliers fifty five and ten. The Warriors in twenty fifteen went fifty nine and six. The nineteen ninety five Bulls went fifty eight and seven. The Bulls in ninety six went fifty six and nine, the seventy six ers in eighty two and fifty six and nine. Those are the only teams who have had a better record through sixty five games. And please don't do this, Please, if you're an analyst at a network on a radio show, don't say the following, Yeah, but what are they going to do in the postseason? This is about the regular season. If that's the case, do we go, Yeah, Shay Gilge's MVP, but what's he going to do in the postseason? This is about the regular season. It's like the Seattle Mariners won one hundred and sixteen games. I didn't think they were built for the playoffs, but you still have to acknowledge that they won one hundred and sixteen games and they proved not to be have not to have a pitching staff that was built for the postseason. But Cleveland has done a wonderful thing here. They play really good basketball. It's not maybe your type of basketball, exciting basketball, you know, flinging threes all over the place. But Seaton makes a great point. This is about playing winning basketball. That's not exciting, that's not going to get you clicks, that's not going to get you the featured game on TNT or the Mothership. But the Cavaliers beat the Nets. They've won fifteen in a row, first NBA team to have multiple winning streaks of fifteen or more games in a season since the six Phoenix Suns. They're that good that you have to cover them, which is kind of interesting, but I enjoy watching them. If you're going to talk about Shay Gilgis, you got to give him the MVP because he's playing on the team of the best record in the West. Then you have to have consideration for Donovan Mitchell. Donovan Mitchell is the best player on the team with the best record in the NBA. He's not going to win. He's probably going to get a ton of third place votes. It'll be SGA, then it'll be Joker, and then it'll be Donovan Mitchell. Just be fair, cover the sports. Just be fair occasionally and acknowledge some of these sports that they're not going to, you know, make the headlines here. They're not a ratings draw. But our job is still to cover sports. We may go once again. I was there for a couple of the Spurs NBA Championships, and I can tell you there was an audible groan. When Ugh got to go to San Antonio again. You still saw one of the greatest teams in NBA history, I mean, with David and Tim Manu, Tony Sean Elliott, one of the greatest coaches in history.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't exciting.
Speaker 2: We'd rather see a team that is more exciting, not as good, and maybe they don't win a championship, but boy, they were fun to watch.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, the.
Speaker 5: Crazy thing is the best offensive basketball I've ever seen played in my entire life, all forty years of Marvin Prince's life. Twenty fourteen Spurs when they molly wopped the heat in five games. That is what basketball is supposed to be.
Speaker 3: It's so boring.
Speaker 5: That's what you guys wanted, Just like seeing said earlier, you guys want all this teamwork. And then when people have teamwork, they're not exciting. They don't draw ratings.
Speaker 3: These guys don't shoot sixty threes. You know.
Speaker 2: That's but you know, we've kind of gotten accustomed to that's exciting basketball, or that's basketball, and that's not necessarily the case. Cleveland is a really good team, really good too, and they'll have home court advantage and let's see what they do when they, you know, collide with the Boston Celtics. I mean that's probably what it's going to come down to. Yes, Sedon, I'm on.
Speaker 4: NBA dot Com right now looking at the MVP ladder. Yeah, and they Donovan Mitchell right now? Do you want to guess where he is in the top ten?
Speaker 2: Oh? You extended it to top ten? Yeah, well I had to. I'm gonna say, well I had to. I'm gonna say he's eighth.
Speaker 4: You're close. He's seventh. Two weeks ago he was tenth. Yeah, now he's moved up to seventh. He is behind let's he's starting at one, Shay Gildess, Alexander Nikola, Jokic, Jannis Jason Tatum, Lebron James is at five, Jalen Brunson and then Donovan Mitchell. Okay, his Steph just behind him, Kate Cunningham and Anthony Edwards.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Jalen Brunce is a head of Donovan Mitchell. Correct, Like, I gotta give that. What is value is value being notable, getting clicks, being popular highlights? Like, is what is value now to where it used to be? Your team is winning at a historical pace. If he's if Donovan Mitchell was averaging twenty nine instead of whatever he's averaging twenty twenty four, then then all of a sudden he's third, because it'd be easy to.
Speaker 3: Go, well, yeah, he's averaging almost thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, he's averaging twenty four, and it feels like there's a big difference between twenty four and twenty nine that SGA and he's averaging thirty. Well, if he's averaging twenty four, is SGA going to be the MVP?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. It's tricky, Yeah, pulling, and you could.
Speaker 6: Maybe, if you want to go deep cut on this with Mitchell, make the case by him shooting less. Three years ago, he took twenty one shot the game. He's down to eighteen. He's opening up for his teammates. He's not being selfish. He's not a stat hog, and I'm not calling anyone else that. Remember Steph Curry when Kevin Durant showed up and he went from thirty points a game to twenty four and a half and they won. You didn't see stuff complaining about his stats that year. Yeah, there's value in certain things that you do. D Wade Letting Lebron think the Heat was his team. There's value in that Lebron is showing value with what he's doing with Luca right now. I mean, there's a lot of ways to equate value. And this isn't to diminish what SGA has done. He's going to be the MVP. He's been wonderfully consistent this year. But I think you've got to acknowledge certain people on certain teams at certain times, and this is one of those moments. They're fifty five and ten and he's averaging twenty four. And I probably guarantee you that there's a lot of people haven't watched an entire Cleveland Cavalier game, and they're going to be voting on these things. It's like the Heisman, but you know there's a lot of people vote on the Heisman to vote on highlights. If you're voting on highlights, Donovan Mitchell's probably not.
Speaker 2: Going to get a lot of love there. SGA does, But he's just so good. He is unstoppable. He truly is. He can get to the hoop on anybody.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marmon, if this was Utah Donovan Mitchell, Oh, he's got some high lights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's fair, but the Cavaliers are that good. Fifteen consecutive wins. Zion Williamson continues to play some pretty great basketball. Twenty two ten and twelve. I'm still not buying the stock because this is always a if he stays healthy, he's the king of well. If he stays healthy, yes, but he won't like all he's an ankle turn away from all of a sudden being out for a while and then coming back and then we have to have a slow rebuild again.
Speaker 3: But he's playing well. He's a really good passer.
Speaker 2: He can't shoot, but that's what makes it even more amazing at his size, still going inside and dominating. And twenty two ten and twelve since January, so the last six weeks, seven weeks, he's been great. He's back to all when he's healthy. He's been on two All Star teams. It's just he's usually not healthy. But twenty two ten and twelve. A couple other notes there. The Dodgers extend Dave Roberts and rightfully so. And let's see, we got a couple of bids that are on the line. Last coming up tonight, the Southland, the Patriot League and the Big Sky so Lamar and McNeice Navy and American University Montana versus Northern Colorado. Also the story that kind of slipped in and all of a sudden, it feels like, wait a minute, Tiger tears his achilles and he's out, won't be able to play probably for a year. And it was weird because and Seaton brought this up this morning. Are we holding on to Tiger or is Tiger holding on for dear life to golf? Because I think it's us holding on to Tiger. I don't expect him to do anything. He can play in the Video Game League the tgl Okay. It's great to see him out there, but the days of two thousand long long gone. But it is a sport that you can play and play well when you get older. It's just he's going to be fifty years of age coming up, I believe in December, and that's an old and that's an old fifty. That body has been through an awful lot. But we'll talk about Tiger and the achilles injury. And granted, the injury and the surgery is a whole lot different than it used to be with modern medicine, at least in the last couple of years here, and maybe there's a chance that we see Tiger and people will say the following, well, you only have to be healthy for the four Majors. It's not like you just show up at the Majors and that's all the golf you play. It is weeks of preparation to get to that, and then after that it'll be weeks of recovery for him. With that body. It's not just four weeks out of the year. It's probably twenty weeks out of the year to get ready and then all of a sudden, you have to get ready again.
Speaker 3: You got to ramp it up. You can't do it.
Speaker 2: And that's always been my concern when we talk about Tiger going into a tournament.
Speaker 3: Can you be healthy? Can you play great golf for four days?
Speaker 2: And he can't. It's just too much to ask. He'll show those glimpses. The network's fall in love with him. They'll show every shot of every round. But I don't think he's threatening. And this was before he had the injury. But Tiger, there's certain athletes where you go, Nope, I will not bet against him, but I don't know how much he wants to play I mean he's got a brand, he's got you a new business, you've got merchandise to move. I mean, there's a lot attached to this, but the days of what we saw before, and that's where we're holding on to. All I asked for years ago was give me one more. That's it, and he gave it to me. He gave it to me to Augusta. I'm fine. I think he's the greatest golf forever. I think the year two thousand, you can put that up with any other athlete in any other sport. What he did, he changed golf right before very eyes. Maybe this is all. This is the way it ends. I'm full, this is Thanksgiving meal. I'm very lucky. We'll take a break, we'll settle on a poll question. Glad to have you on board. We're back after this, Dan Patrick Shaw.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 7: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: No news on the Aaron Rodgers front, but it does feel like it's pending. I thought it was going to probably wrap up by the end of the week. And the question is is Aaron weighing out three different options or two different options? Is it the Steelers, the Giants, Vikings question mark? And if you're Aaron Rodgers and you have the opportunity of all those three, you're taking the Vikings. Absolutely take the Vikings. Now, if you're the Vikings, do you say, do we want to develop JJ McCarthy on the field or do we want to do what happened with Jordan Love And Aaron Rodgers is going to be in front of him? How much of an upgrade is Aaron going to be over Sam Darnol? And is JJ McCarthy healthy? Also, what's Aaron Rodgers going to want? But if you're looking at bigger picture with Aaron Rodgers with a better team, that head coach, those wide receivers, Minnesota is where I'd want to go. Pittsburgh, I get it. But can you get two years out of Minnesota? Can you get two years out of Pittsburgh? Can you get two years out of the Giants? Because that's the latest report Aaron Rodgers, and nobody has a direct line unless he appears on McAfee. But if he says I want two years, are you willing to give a forty one year old quarterback. Two years, you front load the contract, then you decide after one year if you want to bring him back. And the numbers were very deceptive. Statistically, you go, man, Rogers had a pretty good year. Well, if you watch the Jets, he did not. There's a lot of garbage time numbers there. And I didn't think he played well at all. First half was terrible, but that's kind of to be expected, I guess, coming back from the surgery. But you know, twenty eight touchdowns, eleven interceptions, that's not bad, but it's deceptive. I want to know what you do in the fourth quarter. I want to know what you do with a potential game winning drive. And he didn't do well with those numbers. That's what I want to know. You can have great numbers. I want to know when you have those great numbers. And if I'm Aaron Rodgers, is he an upgrade over Russell Wilson? Yes, Russ feels like ninety eight. Rogers feels like ten and seven and maybe a win in the playoffs, Like Pittsburgh is in uncharted territory from the standpoint of maybe they have to stop doing Pittsburgh like things you bring in DK metcalp like, now you have to make some moves.
Speaker 3: Now, you got to. You know, it's a.
Speaker 2: Great franchise, one of the great ones. They Letnajie Harris go. He signs with the Chargers. So when people say, well they got a really good running game, well they just let a thousand yard rusher go. Now maybe you say, well you plug and play and you get another thousand yard rusher. You know, that offense is just it's been stagnant for a lot long time. They've changed offensive coordinators. George Pickens makes me nervous. DK Metcalf, how consistent is he going to be? Dk Metcalf, Russell Wilson they were, you know, they know each other. Russell apparently was a stealer whisperer for DK Metcalf to what degree, I don't know.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of things going on right now. And then we heard.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh did want to keep justin Fields that that's probably the direction they would have gone in if Fields doesn't go to the Jets.
Speaker 3: Now you got Russ.
Speaker 2: There Another situation to keep an eye on, and I heard this yesterday afternoon is the Browns with Kirk Cousins. Cousins, you can get him at a cheap price if the Falcons would release him. Now, if on the Falcons, I say we're going to give somebody a starting quarterback, we want something in return. What that is I don't know, but that's another possibility. Could Cleveland go into the draft and maybe take Shadoor Sanders they got Kenny Pickett. If the answer is Kenny Pickett, I don't want to know the question. You know, you got Deshaun Watson, who's not going to play again. Now you can bring in Kirk Cousins. Okay, that's n upgrade and he wants to start again. That's sort of what's going on, like what's left with the landscape. The Niners are mere to me, are fascinating because you're watching a team be dismantled. It's like when you watch a house being built. This is watching a house being rebuilt, taken apart like piece by piece, and you'll go, oh, well, all right, full back, oh wow, defensive, Oh well, that's what's happening now. There's still star power there. But and a lot of teams would love to be in the situation the Niners are in. I would say eighty percent of the NFL teams would go, all right, we'll take that Hall of fameane tackle, great tight end, potential Hall of Fame running back, got a quarterback who is good, got a couple of defensive players. You got a linebacker's going to the Hall of Fame. You know, you've got a lot of pieces in there. But it's where they were to where they are. It's the you know you're going up the escalator. Now you're going down the escalator. And can you still compete for a Super Bowl? I mean you're in the NFC West, not the AFC West, but you lost. I mean you went to two super Bowls in six years. How many teams would sign up for that? Ninety percent of the teams in the NFL would go hell, yes.
Speaker 3: Ninety five percent.
Speaker 2: Yes, But we're looking at what the Niners have done, and you probably walk away going unsatisfied, unfulfilled. Had the opportunities and they didn't capital and they could have won those super bowls. They were great super Bowls that they could have won, but you're watching that. I don't know if Christian McCaffrey can play an entire season. George Kittle, I don't know how long he could play. Brandon Ayuk is your go to guy. Ricky Pierson got shot, got some defensive players. Bosa is still good, Fred Warner is still good. But it just feels like you got a car and all of a sudden, it's got three wheels on, it needs a carburetor, and the muffler's loud, the interior's a little rough, but it can still get you there. That's what I feel like that they they've got a car that looks good. It's just not as good as it used to be. Yeah, Pueng and you have.
Speaker 6: To pay two hundred and sixty million for a new transmission.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, called your quarterback. That's gonna be a tough one too, because can you ask Rock Purty, can you get something that feels team worthy? Or I should say win win, Now, agents don't do that because agent's very proud. How much did you get him? I got him two fifty two ten guaranteed. Hey, high five Jimmy. They have an ego as well. I don't know if you go, hey, this is a win win, Like remember when the Chiefs did their deal with Patrick Mahomes and everybody's like, oh my god, five hundred million. I go it's a bargain. It's a bargain.
Speaker 3: In a couple of years, it'll be a bargain. And it is.
Speaker 2: You know Bryce Harper with the Phillies. Oh my god, juice, how much they give him. It's a bargain. Now, I didn't say that about show Heyo Tani or Mike Trout. It's a bargain. Show Heyo Tani may turn out to be a bargain. Mike Trout has not turned out to be a bargain.
Speaker 9: Yes, Ton, what does the forty nine US front office say in negotiations to try to bring the price down, Like, what would you like, Well, he didn't win the Super Bowl? You know he did this, but you've got to start kind of naming players that are better than you at the position and the fact that he didn't win a ring. You've got to say certain things to try to get Brock to agree to something less than what he wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's usually what happens behind closed doors where you're not there to hear. I mean, I told you the story that my agent told me when my boss at ESPN said that he's over the hill and he'll never get another job, And my agent told me that, and he goes, I think we should sign the deal, and of course I didn't think I had any other place to go. And then I find out later NBC said you should.
Speaker 3: Have let us know. I'm like, I'm over the hill and I'll never get another job. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think this is sort of the game though, that like teams play or I don't know if it's the team or if it's just the media society in general. But brock Perty should take a team friendly deal so he could play better. Know Saquon Barkley should take a team friendly deal because he's so old. It's always the players that are supposed to sacrifice more money rather than wy, don't the owners just pay more?
Speaker 3: The teams just pay more? Why don't they?
Speaker 4: It's always, well, what are you paying Saquon Barkley for? He just had a great season, but now he's old, so what are you going to give him.
Speaker 3: That money for in the future.
Speaker 4: It's always the players that are supposed to get the haircut.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to fit all of this in under a salary cap. If this was baseball, then I could understand where you're coming from and be like, hey, you got the money, pay them, and if you don't somebody else. Will you know you have the confines of a salary cap that we got to fit everybody in. We're not going to be able to fit everybody in. And then all of a sudden, rock perty can't go?
Speaker 3: Hey, who am I supposed to throw it to? Yes?
Speaker 4: Right, and the concept of a salary cap benefits who the owner?
Speaker 10: There?
Speaker 3: You go?
Speaker 2: Nailed it, Yeah, nailed it. Yeah, it's a time honored tradition. The owners do really well.
Speaker 4: We could only do so much here again, you know, I mean, how much are we supposed to pay these guys?
Speaker 3: What is the poll question? From the first hour of this program.
Speaker 4: We got a couple of options right now. I just put up there since we were talking about it. We'll Tiger win another major, yes, or I have one here, free agent quarterback you would sign? The four options are Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston, Gardner Minshew. They'll seem to be the four best.
Speaker 2: Available right now, rightikes, unless Gardner Minshew votes on the pole question.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's getting a vote.
Speaker 4: I gotta admit I kind of feel bad that Russell Wilson is even in that conversation.
Speaker 3: Yep, Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 4: He's not a bad guy, you know, he just I don't really understand how things got so far off track for a guy whose career trajectory was an absolute rocket ship.
Speaker 6: Yes, a lot of things went wrong last year. They're kind of glazed over. He was going to be the starter for the Steelers. Then he had that cap injury right before the season started. Justin Fields walks in I think did he was? He five and one as a star, and then was replaced by Russell when Fields cooled off a little bit. So he went in last year with the Steelers a little bit underwater perception wise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it happened long before that.
Speaker 2: This has happened in Seattle, where it was either Pete Carroll was leaving or Russell Wilson that there was battle lines drawn there, and russ was I think polarizing with some of his teammates, certainly the defensive players. When he was in Seattle. You go into Denver, you want your own office, Like now you're part of the front office here.
Speaker 3: You don't play well at all.
Speaker 2: He played well the last year that he was in you know, those respectable numbers, but it just doesn't feel like I mean it's a check that he can't cash. And I think he's so used to being that guy. And you know, he's not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. You know some of these guys as they get older, you're like, yeah, they can still play. Russ is not in that position anymore. Yes, Ton, That's where.
Speaker 9: Things to me really got big because obviously I've watched every game with Russ in Denver, so even with Seattle getting you know, moving on from him, what I saw in those games with Denver. That's why he's in this poll question a lot. He had his moments, and he had his moments with Pittsburgh, but what happened in Colorado was a disaster and it's going to take a long time for him to get the stink up ever off.
Speaker 3: Well, he's not going to.
Speaker 2: But this has to do with Seattle, because if everything goes well, you can stay in Seattle. And it came down to egos and then all of a sudden he says that he wants out. And you know, go back to that what couple of days or day after the Super Bowl when we had him on the show and I said, what did you think when you're watching Brady and Mahomes in the Super Bowl, and then you could tell that and he gave me an honest answer, like, hey, why am I not here? And it felt like that's where both sides started to realize, you know what, maybe we're better off without each other. And then Russ Denver pulled off an unbelievable trade, or Seattle pulled off unbelievable trade to get him send him to Denver. And then all of a sudden, you're going, all right, let's go, let's see you win. And Russ couldn't do that. In Seattle. They had a great game plan. In Denver, they did not that first year. Now bow next comes in and bow next leads them to the playoffs. That hurts Russ too. And I've said this before. Can you play yourself out of the Hall of fame? I think Russ is playing himself out of the Hall of fame, which sounds maybe crazy, going to two Super Bowls, winning one and being a really consistent quarterback, really good quarterback, yeah.
Speaker 6: Pony, Yet nine Pro Bowls in Seattle out of ten years. He had a four season stretch thirty four touchdowns, thirty five thirty one forty his career right now, three hundred and fifty touchdowns, one hundred and eleven picks. That is a fantastic ratio. Great, but the last three years have just been non threatening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's kind of in no man's land, you know, can he can he still be a starter the Giants?
Speaker 3: Could he go to Cleveland? Like I don't, I don't know, yeh see.
Speaker 4: And it's crazy too with Russell Wilson because if you'd just given the ball to Marshawn, if you had just done the most obvious play in NFL history, if you had just handed the ball off, Russell Wilson somehow would be considered a better quarterback by handing the ball. But that's not his fault, it's not. But he's the one that's well, Pete Carroll's not taking the hit. Carroll's career is fine. It's Darryl Bevill who was the offensive coordinator I'm calling. Yeah, Well, it's like Atlanta losing the Super Bowl to the Falcons.
Speaker 2: That's on Kyle Shanahan. People think Kyle Shanahan was the head coach of the Falcons.
Speaker 3: Le Go, No, he was the OC. He called the plays.
Speaker 6: Yes, we need a segment who should be blamed more and sports that would be funny.
Speaker 2: Doug in North Carolina leads us off, Good morning, Doug, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Well, then I have a little confession to make. I didn't root for Tiger early on in his career. Things were just too automatic for him. So I naturally gravitated towards Phil because Phil understood struggling. He was the people's champion, mister thumb's up, mister pager at the US Open, waiting to become a father, and when he finally broke through, it really was inspiring. But in the last decade everything is totally flipped for me. Tiger has become more human, Phil has become more well, maybe you realize that you brought into something that wasn't real. So what broke my heart with.
Speaker 12: The news yesterday was realizing to myself that I didn't really appreciate Tiger until it was too late, and now you're realizing it's over. And I didn't appreciate the excellence because I wrote it off as being too automatic, And it breaks my heart.
Speaker 2: We do that though we pick favorites. I brought this up when I was growing up. I didn't like Bjorn Bork. I never met him. I mean I met him later on, but when he was dominating at Wimbledon, he would beat John McEnroe.
Speaker 3: Well, I loved McEnroe.
Speaker 2: Therefore, I didn't like Bjorn bork Borg didn't do anything other than be great.
Speaker 3: And you tend to have these built in biases.
Speaker 2: It's a rivalry or I can't like that guy, and I'm sure Red Sox and Yankees are the Giants and the Dodgers, like there are certain players where you go, I can never like that guy, and then the further away you get from it, you're like, man, he was great, and I do hear that. You know, players weren't big on Phil Micholson. You know they would tell you who Phil was. You know, Phil wasn't what he was presenting himself to be. But still I got along with Phil. I enjoyed my conversations with him. Tiger I didn't have much interaction with him. But you can't cloud your judgment because somebody's nice to you or somebody's not. I mean, Bonds wasn't nice to anybody. I can't dismiss what I saw, even the steroid stuff, like he proved you want to see what a guy can do on steroids if they'll pitch to me, all hit one hundred home runs. And I really believe that if they had pitched to him when he hit seventy three, I believe he would have hit one hundred home runs. I mean the same thing with Lance Armstrong. A lot of people do not like Lance Armstrong. I get along with him. I appreciate him. Did he cheat, yes, in a sport that everybody was cheating, And did he say, oh, you want to see what I can do when I cheat? I'm gonna win these every year. That's where I see bonds. I see Clemmens, I see Lance. Can I separate? I try, I try, but I don't want to act like what I saw that. I don't like that person because I liked somebody else, or you know, if I had a bias towards people with things I knew about them. I have a lot of biases because in this business, it doesn't take long to get an answer on certain things. All right, let me take a break. We'll get phone calls. A lot of people want to uh weigh in on tiger Woods as well, and we have our poll question as well.
Speaker 3: Play of the Day next after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Oh My God.
Speaker 3: Of the day. My God, this is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out. Halliburn's got the ball.
Speaker 13: Halliburton rises ups.
Speaker 3: You have got to be kidding me. That's courtesy a tnt SO tyre's.
Speaker 2: Halliburton is on the left side of the court and kind of going into the corner, fading away and he hits the three, then gets fouled and Uh, it's a four point play that wins the game. It's an unbelievable shot. And I think that he's been banged up. He might have been questionable for the game but ended up hitting the jumper fading away. Tire rack dot com official tire expert at the DP Show brings you the play of the day. Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan Try the tire Decision Guy.
Speaker 3: Full lineup of.
Speaker 2: General tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rack dot com The way tire bind should be.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Chris in Texas, Hi Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 3: What's up buddy? How you doing?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 3: Marvin.
Speaker 10: Great shout out for the twenty fourteen Spurs.
Speaker 3: That brought back a.
Speaker 10: Lot of good memories, but it also brought back some pretty big heartaches. Twenty thirteen. I'm sure you guys remember, Spurs had a five point lead twenty five seconds left. I had a bottle of champagne ready to spray my friends and heartbreak. So it got me wondering, what is the biggest heartbreak that you guys have ever had? Sports heartbreak, not girls, sports heartbreak.
Speaker 2: Hmm yeah, I had far more girl heartbreaks than I did sports. Brooks Robinson broke my heart nineteen seventy Orioles, third baseman. It might be the best defensive performance in a big moment I've ever seen in my life. The entire World Series. Anything that was hit towards Brooks Robinson, he got it and they beat the Cincinnati Reds, big red Machine. That one was a tough one because I thought the Reds were invincible and Brooks Robinson almost single handedly just diffused them, took away their heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Seaton Hall, Michigan Easy, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: I was ten.
Speaker 4: I think I would have been ten at that time. Uh eighty to seventy nine in overtime NCAA Championship game, Seaton Hall out of nowhere is great, god Man. That really felt like just a magical moment that a garbage call robbed us off, Roumel Robinson to the line, just sobbing. I remember my dad who was also kind of crying, but going it's just a game, It's just a game, no worry. He was having this like opposite reaction of trying to calm everybody down.
Speaker 5: What about you, Marvin two thousand and six, Yukon losing to George Mason in the Elite eight.
Speaker 3: Did you cry?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: But my girlfriend at the time now wife, she's really, you know, not a big sports but Ukon basketball is a thing.
Speaker 8: What the bleed?
Speaker 5: George bleep and Mason, Oh it walks out. Maybe that's hers more than mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounds like it, PAULI.
Speaker 6: Clearly the two thousand and three Cubs losing to the Florida Marlins. I was in New Haven, Connecticut. It was only my second year working with you in Fritzy at ESPN. So the Cubs were gonna make the World Series and I had a cretent credential to attend every single game of that World Series, So it was like I would have seen every Cub's World Series game winner lose.
Speaker 3: So it was a double hit. What about you, Fritzi?
Speaker 9: Because the Broncos got blown out so many times, there was no key moment in one of the Super Bowls that they lost. I got to go with the eighty six Astros Mets Game six in the Astrodome where Rosco ended up throwing the glove up in the air. It went like seventeen eighteen innings that if Houston would have pulled that game out, then Mike Scott could have likely won Game seven and Houston would have played Boston in that World Series.
Speaker 2: Cindy in North Carolina. Hi, Cindy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Well, since we're on the topic of heartbreak, I was thinking about Tiger Woods and sort of the idea that we're trying to hold on to him, and some of that may be true, but I think we're sort of grieving for the game a little bit. You know, you mentioned the Tiger Phil rivalry. If we had some young rivalries, I think we would be less inclined to hold on to him. But you know, the big problem is you've got these great players who defected to Live. I mean, John, Ron Bryson, Deshambeau and Brooks Kepka, and we get energized at the majors because they're able to play in those. But I think part of it is just the state of the game right now. We don't have other than Rory, anybody who really is excites the fan base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point, Cindy, but you really didn't have a rivalry when Tiger was playing. We tried to make rivalries, remember Ernie Els, Phil Micholson, David Duval tried to Tiger kicked him to the curb. Now, hey, Justin lennr Yeah, okay, Nowadays you got Scotti Scheffler, who might be treating the rest of the tour the way Tiger did.
Speaker 3: You're trying to you know, here.
Speaker 2: Comes Rory, here comes Justin Thomas Xandersch.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And even if the Live guys come back, I mean, the only guy Deshambo's the guy that I would say he moves the needle. John rahmde I watched the Live tour on Saturday. I stumbled upon it and I watched and it was sad. They were playing overseas, and you know they got music. I mean, nothing really meant anything. And you know you got David Ferdy who is very colorful. But I'm watching and I know it doesn't mean anything like that doesn't feel like it's really important.
Speaker 3: They all got paid.
Speaker 2: You want to keep your spot on your roster, but we're wearing shorts and we're playing music. You know, it's like, you know, the the dad who thinks he's cool and dresses a certain way, and you go, you've seen him. He looks dorky, And that's kind of what it was. It was just like you're trying too hard and there are some great players, we know that, but it just doesn't mean anything. It doesn't matter. And then you watch some of these other events. You know, Russell Henley ends up winning in dramatic fashion. It meant something. That's what Live is missing. They all got paid, but none of you guys are moving the needle. They don't get any ratings. Still don't know if you're going to get a merger anytime soon. So what are the Steelers doing if they don't get Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 3: What's plan?
Speaker 2: B Dominic Foxworth from the Mothership will join us coming up hour two