Speaker 1: By US standards, Brazil's Highway BR fourteen is certainly no Indiana Turnpike or New York State Thruway. Meandering one three hundred and fifty miles from Belem to Brasilia through the jungles and scrub of Brazil's wild interior, it is barely two lanes wide. The surface is dust in the dry season, mud in the wet and some of the ruts could swallow a Volkswagen alive. Yet, in the eyes of former President Juicellino Kubacek, who built the road between nineteen fifty six and nineteen sixty, BR fourteen is the highway of dreams for underdeveloped Brazil and the means to a new civilization on the central plateau. So it is since the road's opening in nineteen sixty, some six hundred thousand settlers have poured into the area to tap Brazil's immense riches. Every day, long lines of trucks rumble north and south, carrying out lumber, rubber, and vegetable oil. New farmlands produce beans, rice, corn, and fruit to feed Brazil's exploding population. What was once useless scrub in the central state of Goyas is now pastureland for four million head of cattle, and prospectors fanning out from the road have found a vast mineral potential, with deposits of nickel, tin, lead, zinc, copper, gold, diamonds, and quartz. Towns are sprouting every few miles. If I don't pass a certain stretch of road for two or three weeks, says one road engineer, I almost always find a new cluster of shacks there when I get back. Our Guayina, which got its start in nineteen fifty eight as a road construction camp five hundred miles north of Brasilia, is now up to eight thousand people, has its own branch of the Bank of Brazil, and will soon have a one point six million dollar factory that will refine oil from native babecue, nuts, peanuts, cotton, and sunflower seeds, and produce the cans in which to export the oil and cut up local mahogany to make cases for the cans.
Speaker 2: I love your newscaster voice, thank you, and I hate everything else about that.
Speaker 1: I think it so. That was from excerpted from a Time article published on January seventh, nineteen sixty six, titled Brazil on the Road. To dreams, and it's such a fascinating reflection. I think of how forward progress was viewed at the time, like yeah, we must go forward, and like it's it's also understandable, right right, Like there's this is economy that's driving this. But the reason that we picked this particular article or this excerpt is because that construction on that road is what is thought to have led to the spillover and spread initially of the focus of today's episode, which is or a pouch virus. Hi, I'm Aaron Welsh and I'm Erin Alman Updike, and this is this podcast, will kill you? Welcome to or a push virus? Or a push virus. Yeah, we've got one time to learn how to say that. Yeah, this morning. We've gotten some requests over the years for this virus, and it's interesting. I feel like we've been seeing it trickle more and more in the news lately, and so we wanted to just kind of like get a lay of the land. What's going on, how is it transmitted? Why is it suddenly making headlines.
Speaker 2: It's it's gonna be a great episode because I feel like it's really going back to urine my roots. Erin of like, what got us wanting to make this podcast in the first place. And it's been a really long time since we've done a vector worn disease, since we've done an infectious disease.
Speaker 1: So I was like, how do we do this? I know there aren't many books to read on this right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, We've got a lot for this episode and I'm excited about it.
Speaker 1: Me too, Me too. What are we drinking this week, Aaron? We're drinking sloth sprits. Yeah, or push virus is often called sloth fever or sloth flu. Been seen it called, and I don't love it, no, but we are going to honor the sloth in this way. I love sloths. I do too, I do too. Yeah, tell us what's in sloth sprits?
Speaker 2: You know, it's a delicious little concoction of passion fruit juice or whatever, nectar nectar, passion fruit, lime, mint, and you know, some bubbly of some kind.
Speaker 1: Choice's delicious, refreshing, et cetera. All the above. We'll post it on our socials. In our socials, on our socials, not our website.
Speaker 2: But on our website you can find a lot of other great stuff, like, for example, transcripts from all of our episode sources from this in every single episode, Bloodmobile. Who does the music? We've got merch This is an old one. I don't know if it's still available.
Speaker 1: I love that shirt though, met too.
Speaker 2: We've got Patreon, We've got a contact us form, a first hand account form.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's basing than Look. Yeah, this podcast will kill you dot com. It's there, It's there. I have a piece of business because this has been bothering me since we listened to the episode for like QC purposes. You know what I'm gonna say, erin I do elephant I didn't. This has bothered me deeply that I mess this up. Elephant's poop. If I had thought about it, I would have. I would have. I would have realized that fifteen pounds sounds like a lot to us, but for an elephant, which is gargantuan, right, actually doesn't sound like that much in a day. And it's true, it's not that much for an elephant in a day. Fifteen pounds is more like in one poop sash throughout the day. It's about two hundred and twenty pounds. That's pounds, and they poop like twelve to fifteen times a day. So that's how the wow maths. Yeah, twelve to fifteen times a day. They're basically it's just they're just poopish. Yeah, the constant wow.
Speaker 2: I love knowing that fat for more poop facts. What's really funny, Aaron is in that episode when you say fifteen pounds, I'm like, fifty pounds because I also clearly was like that sounds like so much. I numbers are really hard to conceptualize sometimes.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you're talking about pounds of poop, it really does feel Yeah. Yeah, So anyways, anyways, that's my correction. Oh, I just wanted to mention this is technically the start of season nine. I know, there's no break, and so if we if you hear AU say season nine or new season or whatever, it's only for at this point our file, organizational system, our file.
Speaker 2: But and also like I think, our hearts because I'm really proud that we've made it to season nine.
Speaker 1: Are you hitting me? Yeah? We doing this for that long? Yeah, Halloween twenty seventeen. Yeah, we're still there's still more things that can kill you.
Speaker 2: So speaking of a whole season planned, but first we begin with or a poosh virus right after this break or a pooshe virus is an arbovirus, which means that it's a virus that is transmitted by arthropods, an arthropod born virus. Some of our favorites that we've ever covered, I think are arboviruses vector born diseases in general.
Speaker 1: I mean disease ecology really, you know, Yeah, it's in our heart of hearts. True.
Speaker 2: But one of the things that's quite unique about this virus compared to any other that we have covered before, is that it's transmitted by a whole new arthropod that we have never talked about on this podcast, and that.
Speaker 1: Is a midge. A midge, So let's talk about what image is, shall we. Yeah, I am, I can't I truly can't wait. I mean that sincerely.
Speaker 2: So a midge or a biting midge is a type of biting fly, And the term biting midge is not a very scientific grouping of biting fly whatsoever, because in some places these might be called sandflies, even though they might not be what we would have called sand flies. In other places, they might be called no sums. And there's probably even more other terms that people use for these, but in any case, these are teeny tiny, and by teeny tiny, I mean they're like one to three millimeters long. Like the there's pictures of them online on someone's thumbnail where they barely take up the space that like between your cuticle and your thumb.
Speaker 1: Like barely, Sam, Yeah, no, barely, Sam.
Speaker 2: There's other pictures online of them next to a mosquito, and you think of mosquitos, like, they're not very large compared to many other types of flies.
Speaker 1: Depending on the mosquito. But yeah, yeah, some of them are heaty, scary ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, but they're but compared to a mosquito, they're like so deeny.
Speaker 1: They're like the size of a.
Speaker 2: Mosquito's head that is cheni, I know, kind of adorable. And in this case, we're talking about these biting midges in the family serato Pogona dae, specifically this species. There's one major species that we think is the primary vector for oropoosch virus, and that is Culaicoid's paraensis. Yes, and these biting midges in this family and in this genus, they share some similarities with mosquitoes, but also quite a lot of differences. First of all, they're quite small. They're proboscis that they use to bite us and do their blood feeding is not nearly as long or robust as mosquitoes, so they can't as easily bite through our clothing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good news. It is good news.
Speaker 2: However, they're so small that they can fit through things like most of our screensh No, yes, yes, so they're harder to keep out of your house and things like that. Okay, But similar to mosquitoes, their larvae are aquatic, and similar to mosquitoes, it is only the females who blood feed in order to mature their eggs. So in the case of oropush virus, this midge Quliicoid's paraensis will take a blood meal from an infected person or animal. We'll get there, and then upon their next blood meal, we'll spit that virus back out into another host. And that is kind of all that I can say about the transmission cycle. Sometimes in these virus or arbovirus or vector borne disease episodes, we can get into a lot more detail about what's going on inside that vector, about how long it takes for this virus to disseminate and then be able to be transmitted. It is amazing how relatively little we know about this virus. So we think that this one species, Kuloicoid's paraensis, this one species of biting midge is the primary vector to humans and probably to other animals. But much like many other vector born diseases that we've covered on this podcast, there are kind of two different cycles of this virus. Right, there's a wild cycle or a sylvatic cycle, and there's an urban cycle. And in the wild or silvatic cycle. It's thought that sloths, especially three toe sloths as well as I know, right.
Speaker 1: They're like, I'm sorry, but they are the cuter slot, but you apologize just like by far. Yeah, it's quite dramatic, it is. They're the ones with a mask.
Speaker 2: If you haven't, if you don't distinctly know off the top of your head the differences between a two tone and in addition to the number of toes, the three toes are the ones with the black and white little mask, and the two toes are brown and have a little.
Speaker 1: Pig nose, which is also cute, but it is a different way, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And I do like how fuzzy like their fur is like longer and anyways, this is not an episode about slots.
Speaker 1: It should be it could be done.
Speaker 2: So it is thought that sloths, as well as non human primates like capuchins and howler monkeys and some bird species, these are probably the most important vertebrate hosts of this virus. But when it comes to the vector species, we don't really know exactly which arthropods, which biting insects are playing the biggest role in transmission in this wild cycle.
Speaker 1: Especially so we.
Speaker 2: Know that this biting midge, the Culicoiles paraensis, is definitely present in the selvatic cycle. It definitely can and does bite freely other animals in addition to humans. But there's some evidence that various mosquito species, including some Clex mosquitoes which transmit a wide variety of other illnesses, and some eighties mosquitoes which are the primary vectors for things like dengae virus which circulates in the same area as or a pooch virus. Some of these mosquite have been found to be infected with or a push virus, but we don't really know are they what we call competent vectors, can they actually transmit this virus to other animals, and like how big of a role do they play in the environment. We don't know, which is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a question about that, like what is the midge's habitat preferences? Great question, We don't really know. We don't really know.
Speaker 2: Apparently the larva, especially of these species, this species in particular, wasn't even like described and identified until the nineteen nineties, which is so recent, and so we really just don't know nearly as much as we should about the natural ecology. And while other biting midge species are known to be important vectors of a variety of animal diseases like blue tongue virus and other viral infections as well, I don't think that they have historically been considered as imp important of a vector of human diseases compared to something like mosquitoes. And so that's probably part of why their natural ecology and just their understanding as vectors and just in general is not as robust as it's just it's.
Speaker 1: Just so interesting because I feel like they they occupy well, do they occupy a similar niche as mosquitoes? They yeah, But like there's there's like why do midges play less role? This is like a bigger question than, but you can ask it in general. You know, mosquitoes are what we think of when we think of like vector born diseases like mosquitoes, ticks and and midges don't feature very heavily.
Speaker 2: Why why great question, I don't know, so yeah, But so that's we think though, that this is the main vector species. There's one other species of Kuliquoides as well that has sometimes been found to be infected that might play a role, especially in the urban cycle as well. And the urban cycle meaning in the human cycle of.
Speaker 1: Or A push virus.
Speaker 2: It really is us humans who play the primary vertebrate host. Our domestic animals do not seem to play a big role in the maintenance of this virus in urban cycles, except maybe chickens.
Speaker 1: Even then, Yes, we don't study it enough.
Speaker 2: Will know a lot more in the coming years, but there is still so much that we don't really know about this virus. What we do know is how it tends to present. Even though the symptoms of or A push virus really overlap with so many other arboviral so like vector born viral illnesses and just other viral illnesses in general, so they're very nonspecific. The symptoms tend to start with a fever.
Speaker 1: Classically.
Speaker 2: Classically, headache is a very very common symptom, as well as muscle aches, joint aches, dizziness. You might get chills. Oftentimes people will have like ocular symptoms, eye symptoms like photophobia, like your eyes hurt if you're trying to look at the light. Or sometimes people get like redness in their eyes, not like as full on as like a you know, red eye, like pink eye infection, but just a bit of like redness overall in the eyes.
Speaker 1: Isn't doesn't that happen with zica or chicken guna, It can happen with Yeah, I just feel like it was like a feature symptom in one of those mosquito born ones. That is more than I can remember, Aaron. It could be a false memory, that's possible.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people will have some like GI symptoms like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain. Sometimes they might have anorexia, like you just feel so sick you don't really want to eat anything. Sometimes people can get a rash, and I've seen it described as kind of a Rubella type of rash. And Rubella, if you don't remember, is another viral illness, not vector born that causes this red, splotchy, pinpricky type of rash that often is on like the torso and then can spread to the face and spread downward. But it's really like a very kind of non specific viral looking rash, is the way I would describe it. And rarely sometimes people can have haemorrhagic symptoms, so that might be things that look like you're having a bit of bleeding, but not like bleeding everywhere, but maybe your gums or maybe a nose bleed or other kind of mucosal type of bleeding.
Speaker 1: How is the virus causing these symptoms?
Speaker 2: Great question, aarin no idea. Okay, we know so little. I have a bit on this later on, but i'll tell you now erin. We know so little about the like pathophysiology of what this virus is doing in our bodies, what sells? Is it even infecting? What sells? Does it preferentially and effect? And where does it replicate? Like are there specific tropisms, meaning are there certain types of cells that it preferentially is going to infect and how and why those cells?
Speaker 1: And what are these symptoms? We don't know. We don't know any of that as far as I can tell.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So yeah, we don't know why it's causing these very non specific viral type symptoms.
Speaker 1: But it is another thing though.
Speaker 2: That we see with our push virus that we see with a lot of other arboviral diseases, is that the course of your symptoms can be what we call biphasic, meaning that three to ten days or so after you get infected, that's the usual incubation period. So after you get these bites from these midges and you get infected, you start with these symptoms that I've described, and that first phase usually lasts like two to four days or so, okay, and then you will get better, but then a week to ten days later you might have a resurgence of very similar symptoms. How often does this happen, we don't really know, because again there's so much that we don't know, but it suggested that it's like in up to sixty percent of cases, which is quite high, so quite common that you would have this kind of bi phasic illness.
Speaker 1: And most of the time, I think the.
Speaker 2: Best news about or a push virus is that the vast majority of the time this is a self limited disease, meaning those symptoms that I describe. You feel miserable, you feel sick. Maybe it comes back and it lasts for quite a while, but then you get better. When this disease causes more severe symptoms, which it can, it can result in a meningitis or a meninjo encephalitis, meaning infection in the brain brain stem, causing swelling in your central nervous system. Even in those cases, people almost always recover and recover completely as far as we know, and there are asterisks there, but up until twenty twenty four or a PUSH virus had not been known to cause any deaths. That's no longer true, but we'll talk more about it later, Okay.
Speaker 1: Immunity immunity, great question. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, we don't know how good of immunity we generate. Is our antibody immunity like long lasting? Can you get reinfected with this?
Speaker 1: We don't know. Are there different strains or like subtypes?
Speaker 2: So there definitely are, Okay, there definitely are. And this is actually a really important part of our push biology that we do know.
Speaker 1: Quite a bit about. Okay.
Speaker 2: So, similar to flu viruses oropush viruses, are an RNA virus that has a segmented genome, which means their genome is not just like one piece of RNA, it's three different chunks. They're named small, medium, in large, SM, and L and similar to flu viruses, if a host like say a sloth, is infected with two different strains of this virus at the same time, it can lead to a mixing up of different chunks of their genome and result in a completely new version of this virus, often one that is drastically different than either of the so called parent viruses. There's actually a few other viruses that have different names, Equito's virus, Madre de Dios virus, and perdos virus. I might be pronouncing that one wrong, which that one doesn't infect humans, but these contain parts of the oropushe virus and then another segment from a related virus in the same what we call zero group, the same group of viruses. So yes, the fact that oropush can recombine is a really important aspect of the like virology of this virus, and we think it was probably involved in the most recent outbreak that we saw twenty twenty four twenty twenty five, and we'll talk a little bit more about that later in this.
Speaker 1: Episode, changing virulence patterns and all of those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and speaking of transmission, so this is a virus that is transmitted via vectors, right via these biting midges. There has not been shown so far any direct human to human transmission, so even if you're sick and miserable, you're not transmitting it to other people. However, similar to zica virus, there is now evidence that our push can be transmitted across the placenta, so if someone is infected while they're pregnant, it can infect the fetus, and it's been thought to be associated with a number of stillbirths, fetal losses, so miscarriages, and things like microcephaly, which is when the brain does not fully develop, similar to how we saw with zicavirus. Unlike with zecavirus, we don't know enough about the virology yet to understand what's going on or how common or any of that. But epidemiologically, this pattern seems to have come out of this most recent outbreak that we've seen, and so we do think that it's crossing the placenta and can cause damage to the fetus, which is pretty serious.
Speaker 1: But no sexually transmitted or great question. Great question.
Speaker 2: At least one paper that I saw said that they thought that they had detected it in semen. Does that mean that it's able to be transmitted?
Speaker 1: Right? We don't know. It's a huge open question, right, Okay, yep. Question about the habits of these biting midges when you know how like mosquitoes love down and dusk doesn't mean that they don't bite you in other times of day, but like where do they bite you? When do they bite you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do I'm assuming because they are their larval stage develops in water, that there's like a seasonal or climate component to this what's going on?
Speaker 2: You're very right, So there is definitely a seasonal and climate component. So we see that the highest burden of these of our push virus tends to be during rainy season, and that's going to be when you have more water available for larva to you know, mature and for the females to lay their eggs and things like that. So that's definitely the case. In terms of when exactly they bite, they can potentially be kind of throughout the day. They do tend to be done in dusk, similar to a lot of some mosquito species. Not all mosquitoes are like that, but like I said, because they can't bite through clothing, they're going to tend to go towards areas that are more available. So a lot of times they're biting on legs, they're biting on arms, they're betting on things that they can actually access, and they're really voracious.
Speaker 1: Their bites hurt.
Speaker 2: And then beyond that, there's probably more that either I don't know or that we don't know yet about about these vectors.
Speaker 1: And maybe you're getting there in the current section. But distribution geographic distribution of midge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this species of midge is found throughout Central and South America and throughout the southern part of North America all the way up into like the eastern seaboard. You can even find them sometimes in Michigan and Wisconsin and things like that, and then all throughout the south southern United States. Which is an important part of the distribution of this virus so far is that this virus has not been found everywhere, but the vector does exist far beyond the range that we have seen the virus so far.
Speaker 1: Right, which just means potential for spread. Potential for spread, Yeah, exactly, yeah, which is also I mean, I know that we'll get there, but like the fact that this virus can infect so many vertebrates, so many, it seems like, and we don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know the extent we from what we have found so far, we think sloths, capuchins, howlers, and some birds, but like birds is a huge category alone right now, it's just fun.
Speaker 1: It's Central and South America, I know, some of the most biodiverse areas on this planet, right exactly.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so we don't we don't know, you know, And who is playing the biggest role, who is involved in the spillover events and why, Like we don't know any.
Speaker 1: Of those things. We don't know. We don't know.
Speaker 2: And as is the case for so many tropical especially viral and other infectious diseases, diagnosis remains a really big challenge and that severely limits our understanding of the true epidemiology and spread of this because you can't diagnose it without adequate identification, especially because the symptoms are so nonspecific and they overlap so much with other diseases that are in the same geographic areas, So you have to have access to either serology or like PCR rtPCR, which isn't available everywhere, especially in the range of where this virus is found. And as with so many other viral illnesses, we have no specific treatment for it. We have no vaccine and spoiler alert, no vaccines on the horizon that I have seen, Like as of twenty twenty two, there was like one paper about vaccine development for oro poosh virus. So this is pretty neglected viral illness. Yeah, even though it's not technically considered a neglected tropical disease yet, which is wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it is. It's really interesting to read back through some of these outbreaks and epidemics and it's like so much, so much a shot I don't want to say shot in the dark, but like the these estimates are based on the information that was available, which is can be very often limited based on what you said, how you have to have testing, you have to have and because the virus itself is so tends to cause these self limited infections. Someone's better in a few days. They may never you know, like right, they may never know that they had or a push virus exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so our estimates are very very limited, but that aaron is or a push.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me where it came from?
Speaker 4: I can, I can okay.
Speaker 1: On September twenty sixth, nineteen fifty five, a twenty four year old man entered the fever clinic that was run by the Trinidad Regional Virus Laboratory in Sangre Gerondi, Trinidad. I love that there's a fever clinic. Oh, there'll just I'll tell you more about it. He hadn't been feeling ill for very long, just like one day, and his symptoms weren't too extreme. He had just had a back ache and a little cough, no sore throat, with the exception of his fever, which was one hundred and four degrees fahrenheit. Oh, pretty high, pretty high. I didn't write that down in celsius, but it's high high thirty over forty maybe over forty maybe forty. Yeah. He was referred to this clinic, which was kind of standard practice at the time, but his symptoms were so vague that it was like, well, we don't really know what this could be. Let's run some standard tests, which included, you know, looking at blood smears under the microscope. There was one smear that looked like maybe there was one single malaria parasite, but it wasn't conclusive, and then people who looked at it later were like, there's nothing here. So it was kind of like, well, this guy got better really quickly. His illness lasted three days total. In normal circumstances, like in many of the time, we would think that like that person would fly under the radar and you're done with that. That's not what happened. And in retrospect, it's kind of amazing that he made it to the clinic in the first place while that illness was still ongoing, which meant that the doctors could the researchers there could take blood samples while he was acutely ill, so then they could take that blood and run more tests on it. So they took serum from that blood sample gave it to mice who died, which suggested that a path gen virus was involved. What virus was it? Like, this is not this is this is concerning right, that's a great question. It didn't seem to be one of the usual or even one of the unusual suspects, and so it was given a new name or a poosh virus. Yeah, why or a poosh. Well, the man who had visited the clinic that kicked off this pathoge and hunt, he lived nearby in a small community called Vega Day or a Push, So that's it's a place name. Yeah, where you're from. This is yeah, it was before that became against the you know, when it was right while naming diseases after places was still a conventional thing to do, but subsequent tests with the virus revealed that it could cause disease in a range of animals like mice, guinea pigs, and chicken embryos, so it definitely wasn't nothing to worry about. Whether or not those animals could play a strong role in it's spread is not clear, but just the fact that it could cause disease and death in that right is you.
Speaker 2: Could have symptoms. And also they were just like culturing this virus from this dude's serum this whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, I know, I know, he.
Speaker 2: Just went to the best possible climate. Come yeah, I mean he got better on his own, so I guess think he got much for him.
Speaker 1: But right right, they were running all these test finding that it was indeed some sort of you know, previously undescribed potentially pathogenic or seemingly pathogenic virus. Where did it come from? And this was the question that the Trinidad Regional Virus Laboratory was very motivated and equipped to answer. The first clue came from the patient himself. Although he resided in the village like most of the time vegadevo or Pousche, for two weeks before his illness, he had actually been working and sleeping in a forest a few miles away where he worked as a charcoal burner. Okay, so if you didn't know, I certainly did not. A charcoal burner is someone who makes charcoal by burning a bunch of woods, you know, deforested area chopped out a bunch of trees. You burn those trees and you have to stand by your your charcoal pit for weeks, often on end, while the charcoal is being made. It's a long, lonely job. There's even like a poem by the creator I think of we need the pooh about it, like how sad it is. And because you have to stay by your charcoal pit in the woods around where no one else is there. It's not like this is a group activity. Oh Okay, and so learning that this guy was a charcoal burner, it immediately set off red flags for the researchers because they were like, Okay, you are spending a lot of time in the forest. This suggests that it's probably vector borne. There's probably a mosquito or something else out there. This is a spillover event. I love that they that that ough. I love this story, Aaron keeping, and so they went out there. In the nineteen sixty one paper that first describes as virus, quote, when it became evident that an agent pathogenic for mice had been isolated from a forest, steps were taken to attempt recovery a virus from blood sucking diurnal insects prevalent about the patient's home and charcoal pit in the forest. Reasonable. Next story, very very and mostly as far as I could tell, it was mosquito species that were collected, and none of them seemed to be the clear culprit, although it did suggest that there was, like I think in a later collection. In a later paper, they found one instance of the virus in a mosquito. So they were like, okay, well that doesn't rule it out, but it's clearly not mosquito's entirely. They did also do antibody testing in some animals like primates, and they found that yes, some primates seem to have been exposed to this virus previously, and so this suggested that oropush virus was not uncommon in wildlife. Also, they like developed an antibody test for it already. I know, I'm amazed. I can't wait to tell you were okay this was I will say, like it's you're amazed, right, Like it's really cool to look at this, beautiful Like okay, logical, next steps. You have the resources to look at this, you understand what you're looking for all this stuff, right, This was not front page news even in the world of viruses because it was first of all, viruses are very diverse. There are so many undiscovered viruses out there. And this was one person this who had recovered quickly. This was yeah, this was a handful of howler and capuchin monkeys that showed past infection. Maybe an infected mosquito or two. I mean, this was one of an untold number of viruses circulating in wildlife that remained to be name. It was like, who cares, Okay, so you found a new virus right. It was like, thank you for recording that information. Right, we'll add it to our list of thousands of viruses, right, just like this. Yeah. And also maybe it was a fluke. Maybe this was a one time event that happened. And the next five years of silence that surrounded this vires seemed to suggest that that was actually the case, until it popped up again in nineteen sixty, this time in an entirely different country, over one thousand miles away. Ooh, not good, not good, well intriguing, yeah, and not good. A three toad sloth in northern Brazil was found to be infected with the virus in a way kind of foreshadowing the sizeable epidemic that would occur in the region in the following year. So in nineteen sixty one, and estimated eleven thousand people were infected with ore A push virus in the same region. Oh wow. And so, as it turned out, no, yeah, that not only was that first nineteen fifty five case not a one off, this epidemic would also be just the first in a series that occurred over the next decades, as the virus spread to much of Central and South America and especially throughout Brazil.
Speaker 2: So, but they were able to identify it as or a pushe virus because of the work of the people who identified it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nineteen fifty five. That's incredible. There's yeah, because of this work, because of this network of information, this virus was able to be name, described, identified, and linked to an outbreak. That's it's pretty it's pretty impressive. It's very impressive. Yeah. And over the next decades, I'm kind of like squeezing a lot in here, the numbers kept climbing. So between nineteen seventy eight and nineteen eighty one and estimated two hundred and twenty thousand cases, thirty outbreaks along the Amazon River between nineteen sixty one and nineteen ninety six, with an estimated half a million cases, and most of these are in Brazil. And it wasn't just the number of cases that kept growing though, it was also the virus's geographic distribution. First there was that case, the individual case as far as we knew, in Trinidad. Then there was the outbreak in northern Brazil, then all along the Amazon River, then in these non endemic regions of Brazil than in Panama, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Venezuela, Haiti, Colombia, French Guyana. You just like, yeah, Guatemala, Cuba, on and on, just.
Speaker 2: To all of these, all of these places, by the way, that don't all touch and are not all that close geographically necessarily.
Speaker 1: Some of these cases are you know, whether or not this indicates local spread. I'll let you answer that later on. But the increasing number of countries that are reporting this virus at all shows two things. It shows that the potential for increased geographic spread, and it also shows an increased awareness becauset better detection and awareness might be driving some of this because for decades or a pooshe virus cases were probably wrongly ascribed to dengey or like outbreaks. So like how many of the past and gay outbreaks were actually or pooh, could it r mix this kind of stuff or checking don yet like they're all so they're all so kind of similar. Yeah, but there's there is no doubt that this disease is on the move and it might actually be evolving to become more virulent, you know some recent cases, or it has the potential to become more virulent. Given what you told us, Aaron about the virus's characteristics. You know, it's high mutation or recombination rate, multiple insect vector hosts, and multiple vertebrate reservoirs. This is not entirely surprising that we're seeing this kind of spread, but it is concerning and it begs a few questions. Where did this thing come from? Again? And how is it spreading so quickly? H And why was anyone looking for viruses and sloths in the first place? Yeah, that's what I want to know.
Speaker 2: Who tasted that slothyting that slot?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to answer the first two questions. First, I could do this pretty quickly, or a push virus probably originated in Brazil anywhere from Prepare yourself for a wide range. Wide range here eighty to three hundred and sixty years ago. Smaller range than we have for a lot of other things.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, eighty to three hundred and sixty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, so it's super new, super new three it's the oldest they think it is is in the hundreds of years. Okay, but here's here's the thing that I I kind of have questions about because we talked about how it has these different like the segment to genome with a lot of reassortment, and so our existing data is like the diversity of these viruses is maybe not reflective of the overall history. I'm not sure, but I was thinking about how flu we have complete extinct viral lineages right right right, So whether.
Speaker 2: That's called those different viruses or would we Yeah, it is because the zero group that or a push belongs to is called the Simbu zero group. And I had a really hard time sorting through, like are these different genotypes?
Speaker 1: Are these different viruses?
Speaker 2: Are these different and there are a number that they classify as different viruses even though they are quite similar.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a confusing phylogeny of that whole group, including or a poosh virus, So that I guess makes sense in that way. So like the Simbu zero group is probably much older, but or a poosh itself, who knows.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean I do think that it's like there are viruses that emerge or evolve, and when when does a new virus become a new virus? I think is a that's a question.
Speaker 3: For a virologist philosophical question too, or a philosopher, sure, but I think that whenever it originated, it has seemed to expand relatively recently, like it's only in the last few decades that it's expanded across the most of South America and Central America.
Speaker 1: Why it has done so is because of humans. Bottom line, deforestation and widespread movement of humans created the perfect conditions for aur poosh virus spillover and spread as forests were cut down. That led to more opportunities for infected mosquitoes to bite the humans living on the forest edges. So like, think about the construction of that highway highway and then increased movement for humans, both short scale like from deforested region to city and then long scale from one city to another region or another country drove the spread of this virus. So consider, if you will, the sequence of events. Someone is working on the construction of a road through a newly deforestd region of the Amazon, for instance, like the road that we discussed in our first hand One day, they're bitten by a midge that's infected with or push virus. A few days later, they take their day off to drive back to their nearby city to visit with some friends and family. There, a midge bites them, picks up the virus. That midge then bites someone else, infecting them. Another midge bites that person, and suddenly you've got an epidemic on your hands. This is how one spillover event can lead to sizeable outbreaks. And the story doesn't end there. So now, let's say somebody else was in town during this outbreak, and they also happened to be working on road construction in a newly deforested area, but in another part of the country or another country entirely where or push virus is not present. They get infected during this city outbreak, head back to their work site, where another midge bites them, becomes infected, then bites a sloth or a howler monkey, Another midge or a mosquito picks up the virus, and then suddenly or a pushes endemic in this new forested region. This is spillback, spill it over, spill back into two wildlife. Spill bat doesn't get talked about enough.
Speaker 2: I feel, no, it doesn't, It really doesn't. But yeah, it's an important part.
Speaker 1: It is a really important part, and I wanted to mention before I forget that I'm wearing my spillover. I'm gonna call it my spillover sweater today. Yep, it's got If you're watching on YouTube, you can see this. It's got a woodpecker, it's very cute, and some little squirrels, squirrels, it's very cute, so cute. So it's from now on, anytime we do another Oh, I've got it. I've got it, cuts down on decision making. It's wonderful, fantastic spillover in spillback for aur a poosh virus, they're not just like likely to happen, but there they have happened, and they are likely to result in sustained transmission or turning an uninfected area into an endemic one. And this is for for all the things that we've already talked about, right, the wide host range, the recombination multiple potential different species of vectors. We don't really know. I mean, this virus is like it has never heard of a dead end host. It's just like, so what it seems like, what's the It's all about those borders between humans and wildlife becoming more porous due to human activities like deforestation. In fact, deforestation in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil from the nineteen fifties to the nineteen eighties coincided with two hundred arboviruses being discovered in the region. So oropush is not the exception, but it is rather the rule. In fact, roughly seventy five percent of all emerging infectious diseases have an animal origin, and seventy percent of those come from wildlife. Yeah, wildlife. I've got some good stats too, got so good.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, wildlife like the sloth, who is the subject of our third question.
Speaker 1: Why were people looking at sloth viruses?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: I love that someone funded this, so give it to me. Okay, Okay, So, given what I just said about the high proportion of human pathogens that come from animals, maybe the answer is self evident, like why someone was looking at a sloth well, because wildlife can carry viruses. But I want to dig a bit deeper, exploring not only why researchers were examining wildlife for new pathogens in the mid twentieth century, but also the infrastructure that allowed them to do so. Both the first described case of our poush virus and this isolation from a three toad sloth took place at two viral research institutes, one in Trinidad and one in northern Brazil. Both of these institutes, the Trinidad Regional Virus Laboratory and the Belem Virus Laboratory, were established and funded at least in part by the Rockefeller Foundation in the mid twentieth century. Okay, interesting, we've encountered the Rockefeller Foundation before on this podcast, maybe most notably during our hookworm episode. The organization, which was started by one of the wealthiest people in history, it played a pivotal role in eliminating hookworm in the early nineteen hundreds in the southern US. Or at least that If that part is controversial or for debate, sure that's fine. What it did is it at least elucidated some of the factors that sustained its transmission, and over the following decades, the Foundation broadened its goals beyond the US. Its mandate, as set out in nineteen oh nine, was quote to promote the well being and to advance the civilization of the peoples of the United States and its territories and possessions, and of foreign lands, in the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge, in the prevention and relief of suffering, and in the promotion of any and all of the elements of human progress end quote. Okay, it's a notable goal. Yeah. I wish more billionaires would take up philanthropy instead of the other alternatives. Yeah, yeah, But I think it would be incomplete to view this foundation or the field of tropical medicine as a whole, as solely philanthropic, whether in intent or impact. Philanthropy was part of it, but it was not all. Why were people trying to better understand how yellow fever was transmitted or how to prevent leshmaniasis in part the Panama Canal exactly so that imperialist powers like the US and England could install local governments without people dying of infection. Infectious disease in these regions became the first hurdle to overcome in you know, settlement, whatever that meant, like, you must first conquer infectious diseases before you can conquer this nation. Scientific and medical knowledge may have benefited the populations under imperialism, it did not always, and if it did, it often came. Those benefits came much later on, and it came with tremendous costs. That knowledge was not freely shared, and in some cases it wasn't shared at all. The colonizers were often the only ones to benefit from that knowledge or have the capacity to implement it. Oh, screens prevent mosquitoes, which could then prevent yellow fever. Put those screens in our houses, our houses. Yeah, clean water screens, bugsprit medications, stuff like that. That was not like, oh, and then now here it is everyone. He was not in the age of imperialism from the late eighteen hundreds, so the early nineteen hundreds, scientific progress was not democratized, and the concurrent rise of germ theory enabled the use of tropical medicine as a tool of imperialism. The Rockefeller Foundation which emerged as this period was winding down. As the age of imperialism was winding down, it seemed from my reading, less focused on conquer and more on capitalism, which is unsurprising given Rockefeller's prowess as a businessman. He saw progress, particularly economic progress, as viewed from a capitalistic Western perspective. He saw this progress as being hindered by poor health. It wasn't just that life was being cut short, it was also labor and productivity. Similar to how today we use the metric disability adjusted life years to measure the impact of a disease, right, Rockefellers saw that improving the overall health of a region through public health interventions would ultimately lead to greater economic prosperity, which was great if the region was under the control of the US, but if it wasn't, then that also meant more money to be pumped into the global capitalism machine, which predominantly benefited Western imperialist powers. So it's kind of a yes and situation. Yeah, So the virus labs and other Rockefeller initiatives absolutely reduce the overall disease burden in certain areas, and they advanced scientific and medical knowledge and the US and probably Rockefeller and his descendants enjoyed some of the economic benefits from those efforts. Maybe that feels like a touch cynical or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, but we've always said like how much money you save with public health and how investment in public health is. Like it's just like it's a clear example of someone having enough money to do that, which is really interesting, fits.
Speaker 1: Simple, right, And it's like it's kind of one of these things where it's like we're money or public health is money saving, it's not revenue generating, right, And so investment in public health ultimately is like the smartest thing that you can do as an economic power. Are billionaires listening right, right? And so it's like, Okay, if we can't convince you to do this out of the good you know, good for mankind, just to have a leave a legacy that means something more than just consumer and profiting off of whatever, right, all of that, then let us convince you because it makes more financial sense to do so it will eventually save us a lot of money. Yeah, yeah, but it still feels like it still feels a little bit cynical. And so I also, I don't know. I wanted to also add that I think that the researchers and probably the organizers the administrators of this foundation who were involved and wanted to take part in these efforts, I think that they probably or possibly had good intentions, like the purest of intentions. Right. Maybe they went into this field to reduce human suffering, to devise new vaccines, to identify pathogens, or simply just add to this body of knowledge to help make the world a better place.
Speaker 2: Well, and like a bunch of nerds getting to actually do this important science, Like.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? It's the dream, and it's not like local populations where these labs were established were just like passive players. Many citizens and regional governments became directly involved in primary research as well as the application of that knowledge and in funding. It was often like meeting the funding need. Yeah. From nineteen fifty to nineteen seventy, the Rockefeller Foundation provided the arbovirus program with thirty million dollars in funding, which is worth about two hundred and thirty million dollars in today's and many local governments directly matched that funding. Wow, it's it's kind of staggering when you think about what a force that must have been and how investment in basic research really has pays off. It pays off.
Speaker 2: I just still can't get over the fact that they found this virus from one dude, and then within a couple of years we're able to identify outbreaks that easily. I mean, how many times have you told a story on this podcast, Aaron where it's like, yeah, someone found this virus and named it, but then decades later, someone else found this virus and they thought they were the first person ever to identify it.
Speaker 1: Like that's usually how these stories go. It's usually how it goes. I think part of it has to do with when this like the historical context of when this was happening, and so in a lot of those cases there was not the technology or the scientific know how to be like, this is a virus at.
Speaker 2: All, right, or to be able to share that information. We'll share the information, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think this was sort of a confluence of we have the equipment to do this, we have the minds to do this, we have the funding, and we have this this network of information that can be spread and the incentive to identify this like, hey, here's this money, find out what you can about.
Speaker 2: About arboviruses, and so that's what they were doing with this sloth. But they were like, we've got money to find viruses, and so we're going to test a bunch of animals anywhere. Oh yeah yeah, but that was my dream job for TI.
Speaker 1: So these Rockefeller Foundation virus laboratories were established initially to keep better track of the yellow fever virus, which had caused deadly outbreaks in Central and South America in the early decades of the twentieth century and had hindered the US progress in building the Panama Canal check out our yellow fever episode. It also had been in the US for a long time. Blah blah blah. Yeah, anyway, Hamilton Hamilton Field Laboratories were established not just in Trinidad and Brazil, but also Egypt, India, South Africa, Nigeria and Colombia. And as researchers uncovered more information about the ecology of yellow fever, its mosquito vector, its vertebrate hosts, how climate induced its transmission, two things happened, at least. The first was that in their ecological studies of yellow fever, they were also finding other arthropod born viruses that had never been described. You know, test this mosquito, screen, this monkey, sloth, etc. Oh, that's something we haven't seen before. Let's dig a little bit deeper. The second is that they were leveraging their knowledge about yellow fever to make meaningful, sustained progress in its control. If you could make such headway against a long feared, deadly disease, maybe you could do the same for these new viruses that you were finding. Identify the arthropod vectors, figure out which vertebrates act as reservoir host, measure affection against climatic or seasonal variables and then use all that information to disrupt the chain of transmission and prevent disease. Even though it wasn't called that at the time, this embodies a one health approach where animal, human, and environmental health are all taken into consideration. Historically, after the early years of germ theory and epidemiology, where animals and the environment were more likely to feature in studies alongside human disease, these different fields were often siloed so like there was pre germ theory, it was like, oh, the weather has turned, this might lead to an outbreak of plague, you know that kind of thing. Once we found one bacteria, one disease, that sort of segmented segmenting, chopping up these diseases into discrete entities. That also meant that specialties were also segmented and siloed, like a biomedical researcher wasn't necessarily inclined to observe a disease under natural conditions. If a lab environment and an experimental animal could suffice like you could control the ecological noise much better that way, and collaborations between physicians and veterinarians dwind as the fields grew more specialized who's got the time? Or you would have to learn a lot more about like a horse's guts than you were prepared to. One area, though, that resisted such rigid boundaries among disciplines was that of medical entomology and tropical medicine.
Speaker 2: Oh love that, And these.
Speaker 1: Were the two areas in which the Rockefeller Foundation was heavily involved. How could you predict the movement of a mosquito born virus without considering the mosquito itself, right, you.
Speaker 2: Cannot, and all the other things they're feeding on, and their environment and where they're living, and yes, how hot it is and how long it takes for their larmy to develop, and how long they live.
Speaker 1: And it's the environment, it's the wildlife, it's the domestic animals, it's humans, it's all of these things.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the Rockefeller Virus Labs, staffed as they were by researchers interested in cycles of infectious disease and natural environments, they were well positioned to ask and answer these questions of what about the mosquito, what about the wildlife? What about the environment, what about the climate and the weather, And so hopefully that answers the question of why people were looking at sloth viruses in the first place. This one health approach is not just one lens through which to view a disease like or a push fever. It's the only lens that we should be looking at this right. Fortunately, that is the framework that many researchers are using today to better understand what this virus might have in store for the future. Speaking of the future, Erin, could you tell me where we stand with or a push virus today?
Speaker 2: I would love to, Erin. I have some stats to start you off with GAT. It's very similar to some of the ones that you hit us with ARIN. According to a paper from twenty twenty four in the Lancet, Infectious Diseases, vector born disease specifically, vector born diseases account for nearly twenty nine percent of all emerging infectious diseases. Of all emerging infects disease are vector born and arboviruses specifically, so viral vector diseases are forty percent of all pathogenic viruses found in humans from the late eighteen hundreds through twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I feel like I'm doing a research for my dissertation.
Speaker 2: I know, and it is it is bringing me back in a way that I didn't realize how much I missed this. The true burden of arboviral diseases is not known period. However, we do know that over the last several decades the global burden has been increasing, not decreasing. Yeah, and or a push virus. I am just so shocked that I did not know about this. Like when we were in grad school, I had not heard of or a push virus, which is so weird because we were so deep in this world.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that also just shows silos again, Like again, it wasn't directly applicable to our readings and our research exactly.
Speaker 2: It is and has been considered one of the most prevalent arboviruses, where it's documented second only to dengay virus.
Speaker 1: It's very prevalent.
Speaker 2: It's very very prevalent. We think that there has been at least half a million cases, at least five hundred thousand cases, and that is almost certainly an underestimate because of so much of what you talked about, Aaron, that like, we didn't know until we were able to identify this, we didn't know that it existed. How many times between then and before then and now has this been misidentified as malaria, as dengae, as zika, as chicken gunya, as so many other viral illnesses. But even as of twenty seventeen, the research at least to that time had suggested that it was only found in a few countries which were not all geographically that close, because by then twenty seventeen paper it was like Panama, Brazil, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, and that's not the entire the entirety of its range. And we know now from the most recent outbreaks that that is definitely not the entirety of its range. We also know from a few more recent outbreaks that the attack rate of this virus, so if it gets into a community, how many people isn't likely to infect might be quite high.
Speaker 1: Seems like it. It seems like it.
Speaker 2: There was an outbreak in twenty twenty in French Guiana where about forty three percent at least of a population was infected in one outbreak. And there haven't been that many sero prevalence studies, but the ones that have been done in Colombia and Brazil have found between ten and sixteen percent of people in the regions that they've studied show evidence of prior infection with oropusch virus.
Speaker 1: Wow, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: But the biggest news with Ora pouch virus, and the reason that we started getting email requests for this back in twenty twenty four, is that there was a very very large multi country outbreak that spanned really it started in like the end of twenty twenty three, but especially twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five, that spread across at least eleven countries, including Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guyana, Panama, Peru, and with travel associated cases in the US, Canada, Cayman Islands, and multiple country trees in Europe. By the end of twenty twenty four, there had been over sixteen thousand confirmed cases thirty nine thousand suspected cases, and that was not the end of the outbreak, because in twenty twenty five, an additional thirteen thousand confirmed cases were reported across the Americas and another seventeen thousand suspected cases were identified that year. And like we talked about in terms of the seasonality of this, the vast majority, like we saw several kind of outbreak waves. If you look at the graphs. The Pan American Health Organization PAHO has a really great you can go in and look like month by month and look at these graphs of all of these reported cases. But the vast majority of these cases were in the rainy seasons, which kind of do vary depending on where you are. This is a very large range geographically, from like the mid Central America and the Caribbean all the way into South America. But the outbreak seemed to kind of wane by June July of twenty twenty five, and since then there have just been sort of sporadic reports. It seems like that particular outbreak is over, but was incredibly large. It won't be the last, no, absolutely not. And in those two years some really big changes also seem to have happened with our poosh, not just how much more widespread this was, right we saw it in countries like Cuba, where we didn't even know that this vector species existed. It has now been found in Cuba. But when the first cases appeared, people were like, what the heck is vectoring it in Cuba? Culicoid's parentsis doesn't exist there. Maybe it does, or maybe it was a different vector species it's still a little bit unclear, okay. But so the geographic spread was astonishing in that it was in so many places that we had not previously seen it. We also saw the first ever reported deaths from our A pooh virus. In twenty twenty four. There were two deaths reported, both of them from Brazil, and the last majority of these cases were in Brazil across both of these years, twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five. In twenty twenty four, there were two deaths in Brazil, both in two otherwise young women in their twenties, healthy with not any known conditions that would put them at high risk. And in twenty twenty five there were six additional deaths, five in Brazil and one in Panama. And that does not count the miscarriages or pregnancy losses and still births which we saw that we think were associated with Ora push virus, or the congenital malformations that we think might be associated so microcephaly and the lack of brain development that we have seen in a handful of cases as well. Yeah, so huge changes that we saw with Ora push virus in the last couple of years compared to anything that we had seen previously. Why we don't really have great answers. There was Elminho years during some of that time, and so we think that, you know, the seasonality and the increase in rainfall and things are likely associated with that particular outbreak and will be in the future.
Speaker 1: Right, just higher numbers of midges for exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And like I said, there are still questions to be answered about what was different about this particular viral strain, but it does seem like the almost all the cases in twenty twenty four to twenty five, these large outbreaks were from this kind of novel reassortment where we saw a virus that looks quite different than or a push viruses that we have seen in the past. And so that and how big of a role that played, and what about this novel reassortment made it so that this outbreak could happen, We still don't know, but it is very likely that that played at least part of a role. In addition to the vectors and the rainfall and the climate and the deforestation and the travel and the globalization and all of.
Speaker 1: The past that play. I feel like some things are could be If you're thinking about this in terms of like a fire, right, some things are the matches and some things are the kindling. Yeah, and so it's like, what the El Nino year is not the match, but it's the kindling, you know, like that that kind of stuff. Yeah, I'm curious for the genetic diversity of these viruses in that outbreak was all the same.
Speaker 2: As far as I could tell, it does seem to be kind of all this big novel reassortment that is quite different than any of the other or push viruses that we've seen in the past.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have covered a lot of mosquito born and arboviruses on this podcast, and there are many, many, many more out there that we have not covered. And I think sometimes the number just like the sheer diversity of sort of like how I was like, well, this is not the or A push is not the exception. It's the rule. Can paradoxically make you go, oh, well, then there are so many like whatever, but or a poosh is it is exceptional in many ways, in its its ability to spread, in its vector prevalence and distribution, and in the increasing frequency, and just sort of also the fact that like we're not I worry that the that we all have maybe a little bit of headline fatigue when it comes to things like this, and it's like this inclination to go, oh, it's just an exaggeration or whatever, but like, no, I really these things will continue to happen.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Modern medicine won't prevent us if it's not if it's not able to be accessed and not shared equitably, right yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I mean we still from what I can tell, it's not like this has led to a huge boost in or A push funding and now we have all these vaccines on the horizon. There's not there's none, there's nothing, there's I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I certainly don't see that happening with this administration.
Speaker 2: So definitely not Yeah, yeah, no, it's uh. I think or a Push is another example of so many that we have seen of these will just keep coming. Viruses will just keep coming, They will keep spilling over. We will keep seeing new ones and.
Speaker 1: The end great stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, We've got lots of people want to read more about or a push virus.
Speaker 1: We do, Okay, So I there was a paper from twenty twenty four that I really liked. It was by Tilston Linnell from twenty twenty four or a push virus and emerging Ortho bunya virus. That was great. There were a few more there were. Honestly, I have a lot of a lot of papers if you're interested in reading more about sort of like the Rockefeller and public health imperialism perspective. There's a paper from nineteen seventy six by Brown titled public Health and Imperialism Early Rockefeller Programs at Home and Abroad. And then finally, I just want to recommend these papers because it was really interesting to think about the on health and where did this where did this idea come from? From Anchetta at All From twenty twenty one, there are two papers, the Origins and Lineage of One Health Part one and Part two. Love it about. I also had a number of papers.
Speaker 2: One from twenty seventeen by d Rosa at All from the American Journal of Tropical Medicine Hygiene.
Speaker 1: I really liked.
Speaker 2: That was called Aura push virus Clinical Epimological and molecular aspects of a neglected Ortho Bunya virus or bunia virus I don't know. There was also a review from the Lancet Infectious Diseases from twenty twenty four by Wesselman at all.
Speaker 1: The it was.
Speaker 2: Titled Yeah, that was a good one. That was a good one, Emergence of Aura push fever in Latin America, a narrative review. And then if you want more detail on this novel reassortment, there was a Nature Medicine article from twenty twenty four by Noveca or Novesa at all titled human outbreaks of a novel reassortment or a push virus in the Brazilian Amazon Region. And then I also want to shout out one that was more focused on the vectors themselves by Galley Choate. I'm probably pronouncying that wrong and I'm really sorry, And it was from plast Neglected Topical Diseases that was called vector Competence for or a PUSHFIREUS, A systematic review of pre twenty twenty four experiments. It was it was a really good one.
Speaker 1: It's like we don't know anything, I know. I mean, I feel like it's like, despite the fact that we've kept saying, well, we don't we know, we don't know, it's understudied to understuded people. A lot of people have done a lot of great work on it, and so check out these papers totally. There's a lot. There is a lot there. We just we still don't know the comparative.
Speaker 2: To other viral and arboviral illnesses. This has not gotten the cell attention or recent reasons funding that it deserves.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay. Thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode in all of our episodes.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Tom and Leanna and Pete and everyone at exactly Right for everything you need to make this possible.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. Thank you to anyone who enjoys this podcast in any way or participates or partakes or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, thank you, and especially thank you to our patrons for your support over on Patreon. It really really does mean a lot to us.
Speaker 1: It does. It does U. Until next time, wash your hands you feelthy animals