Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the Final Hour in this Thursday Dan and the Danet's Dan Patrick Show. The Mets are going to have a new play caller coming up on Monday night against Buffalo as one of their assistant coaches. Is this Todd Downing? Who is going to be promoted now? Is he offensive coordinator or is he just going to be elevated to calling plays which feels like that would be what Nathaniel Hackett does as offensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: All that was said by the Jets is that Todd Downing, which sounds like a made up name, by the way, does not sound like a real person, is calling plays for the next game. No word on status, job titles.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Final hour here. John Smoltz was on the call last night with the Dodgers and the Podres, the Dodgers using eight pitchers shutting out the Padres. And now we have a game five. You have Guardians at the Tigers, that's coming up later on today, Yankees at the Royals, and then forty nine ers at the Seahawks. So Johnny Smoltz will join us coming up here in a little bit. Good morning, If you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app you can watch the program. It's Todd Fritz's birthday today and we want to once again wish Todd a very very happy birthday. We've had one woman who in her best Marilyn Monroe voice, was singing Happy Birthday to Todd.
Speaker 4: Was very well done by.
Speaker 2: Her, and we got Todd in an ice cream cake and so we'll have that for him coming up a little bit later on very thoughtful. Thank you, Todd eight seven seven to three. DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dpshow. Stat of the Day brought to you bot Patine America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Derrick Henry will be on the program tomorrow. They have a big match up with the Commander's Little Territorial warb there between Washington and Baltimore coming up this weekend, Big ten Saturday Night Ohio State Oregon. Todd Blackledge will be on the call for that game for NBC in Peacock. He'll join us to preview that coming up tomorrow. So it's Big ten Saturday Night Ohio State and Oregon. You know, I was wondering about this. When Oregon, USC, UCLA, Washington joined the Big Ten. I think people joked about the cross country travel. The jokes have become a reality six weeks into the college football season. As of today, teams who have been forced to travel a significant distance across the country have lost nine out of ten games so far in the Big Ten. To make it more interesting, or where, seventy percent of those teams failed to cover the spread in that same game, meaning they're not only losing, but the games haven't been competitive either. And I know it's a small sample size, but this is the downside of Hey, everybody, you can travel to Piscataway, New Jersey. That's not a big deal, leaving you know, Southern California, Oregon hosting Ohio State. We knew this was going to happen. Practical, that's why you have regional conferences, so you cut down on travel, you cut down on cost. The other sports that fall under this financial umbrella. But hey, football rules, and it's going to continue to rule until we have this moment. I don't know if I'm going to be alive when it happens, but it'll be a oh, you know what we should do. Let's get sixty of the top schools and then we'll put them in regions and then they'll play one another, maybe they'll play them twice, and then all of a sudden, we'll have a large playoff. Yeah, that's what we're going to do, basically the NFL model. Now, I did talk to somebody, a college football source, who said there are plans in play by different people, different groups, not the SEC, not the Big Ten, not the NCAA. They're trying to come up with a formula where we would have at least twenty four playoffs, twenty four playoff games or twenty four playoff teams. And they have it, you know, where they this is how much money there's going to be rev share. There's going to be a collective bargaining agreement. I mean, they're going to be basically professional football players in waiting to be really truly professional football players. And this is a model that's being worked on as we speak. And I was given, you know, I was privy to at least a little bit of the information. What they what they think is going to happen is you're going to have twenty four teams qualify for the playoffs. Now you have twelve we just start. We haven't even gotten into it yet. Now they want to expand because now everybody realizes the amount of money. What you're going to get back to is regional matchups. You're going to have teams on the West coast playing teams on the West coast. That will be that division. They'll be one let's say, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, Midwest. This is what's going to happen. So basically what we've had before where conferences stayed within I don't know, a couple hour radius time radius of travel, and that's what they're looking at right now. I don't know, you know, if it comes to fruition, but we haven't even gotten into the twelve team playoff and they're already looking at a twenty fourteen playoff and maybe that's sixty schools and they would fall under the umbrella. Now, there's a lot of work to be done. I know that they've reached out to Greg Sanke, the SEC commissioner, and you know, does he want to bless this? I think he is backed away from that from what I'm told, But once again, it's kind of in the embryonic stages. But just to let you know, this is moving fast. May mean we're not even into twelve team playoff and now they're talking twenty four and that's where we're headed, and that's where it's going to be a model. That's and I've asked about relegation because I was told that I was a big proponent of relegation to add yet another I don't know, week of drama there, and I was told that that was received, not well received, but received that they would, you know, think about this, and I was like, okay, that's fine, Like you can't stop it now. Remember I was I wanted from two to four. I said, I'll be happy with four, and I would have been happy with four teams. But then all of a sudden, it's well, wait a minute, it's like having a lottery ticket. And I'll go back to when I broke the news they were going to try to break that contract and move it up so they could go to twelve teams instead of having four teams. They were going to break the Bowl contract and everybody said you can't do it. I said, you can have a winning lottery ticket and everybody's going to make more money. And that's exactly what they did. They moved it up. Now they want to move it up even quicker because now we're looking at twenty four schools. So whether it happens two years, three years, four years, five years, that's where we're headed. But we are headed for collective bargaining players getting paid. There is going to be a reb share where schools I was told would probably football schools would probably get seventy five percent of the REB share, and then the trickle down with other programs. So these are all things being discussed now. They're being discussed by people who are outside of the college football world. They're business people trying to create a plan. Yes, Pauline, I.
Speaker 3: Do have a little background on this. About a week or so ago, this kind of mysterious email went around to people who cover college football. It was from a group that calls itself College Sports Tomorrow CST. It's a quote. This is from the press release. A group of respected, influential progressive leaders in higher education and sports. Sorry, they're in the like you said, embryonic stages of things called the College Student Football League the CSFL, and as part of their plan, it could be seventy two programs compete in a power twelve conferences and then the second tier would be sixty four teams. Kind of what you've been saying for years. But this has been pitched from quote unquote outsiders, college football businessmen, some people who work in it. Guys like Greg Sank and the SEC are not involved in this, but they got the whiff of this about a week or so ago.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been going on, so we haven't even had the twelve team playoffs, but they're going to because everybody understands the amount of money that's at stake here, and that's why they're going to do it. I don't think it's a question of if, but when, all right, Thursday night football. This is kind of spicy though, Seattle against San Francisco. San Francisco given three and a half here. Time for Dower Rankings. Yes it is Thursday. Seaton is the host of Dower rankings. If you'll explain Dour rankings. And do we have any music for Dower rankings? Marvin, We do, all right, Seaton.
Speaker 6: I think we're going to go around the room here and go with uh, any sport and really anything pop culture even I think something that you're down on, down, something that you're down on. Lots of people do power rankings. These are like the strongest things. Right now, We're going to go Dower. These things are kind.
Speaker 7: Of weak right now, Dour. Yeah, yeah, I'm happy to start out.
Speaker 6: Okay, give us an example example of right now being lost in all of the uh Mets sort of victory pree of winning that series. Is just how tough it is to be a Philadelphia sports fan the last couple of years. I'm going Dower rankings on the city of Philadelphia. If you go back a couple of years, Phillies blew a two to one World.
Speaker 7: Series lead to the Astros, that's tough.
Speaker 6: Then you have the Eagles looking great, Jalen Hurts incredible, team makes it to the Super Bowl. They blew a ten point lead in the second half to the Chiefs. Seventy six ers, can't beat the Celtics, they can't beat the Nicks.
Speaker 7: Joel Mbat can't stay healthy. Not great.
Speaker 6: The Eagles start the season ten and one. Last year wash out, and now the Phillies again kick it past.
Speaker 7: The Mets to win a playoff series. That is just a long stretch for the city of Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd Dower rankings.
Speaker 4: The Cleveland Guardians and scoring two runs in the sixth inning in Game one.
Speaker 8: The Guardians have been.
Speaker 4: Shut up for twenty consecutive innings. Over that span, the Guardians are hitting one forty seven, which is ten for sixty eight, twenty strikeouts and only three extra base hit.
Speaker 2: We did take the Cleveland Browns off the board, correctly, correct two Dour, that's just two, yeah, okay, Marvin Dower.
Speaker 8: Rankings, Josh Allen's MVP chances. What up? The Bills got Molly watt by the Ravens and then they went and he went nine for thirty against the Texans and a loss.
Speaker 2: You don't think he can recover to win the MVP.
Speaker 8: I didn't say that, but I'm dowur on him right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, didn't expect that one early in the season. Media Darling Josh Allen MVP, Paul Dower rankings.
Speaker 3: I'm also going to look for the origins of Molly wopped because I've heard that phrase before. Kudos to Marvin for dropping it. We'll get to that later. I'm going to go lightly dour, medium dour. Michigan football. They got their four and two. Now, remember they won the national title last year and lost their coach so it was great season.
Speaker 2: Then there they lost their quarterback, yes.
Speaker 3: And they didn't find a quarterback they have. They're four and two there at Illinois, which I think is going to be really tough, Michigan State, Oregon, Indiana. They finished with Ohio State and then the Big Ten championship game, which they will be watching probably, but that's they could be out of the college football playoff that's been expanded.
Speaker 2: Wow, lightly dour, lightly down? Damn, I just had my dour. Dang, it's it's dour three of the program.
Speaker 7: Eh I Did it have to do with Todd and his birthday?
Speaker 2: No? No, I'm not good. No, No, I'm gonna celebrate it. What was my What was I bummed down about?
Speaker 7: A kind of put a screech in hate again?
Speaker 3: Maybe your thought was not that dour? So you know, Oh my god?
Speaker 7: Was it the Jets?
Speaker 8: No, the Todd Dower? You doing a play calling now?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: Was it the w NBA Finals?
Speaker 2: No? No, I can't, I can't remember.
Speaker 8: It should be Aaron Judge.
Speaker 2: Uh well, one for eleven with five strikeouts, something, the postseason over rated? I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: Yes, would you rather be for your career? Lights out? In the regular season and average in the postseason, which can get you to the Hall of Fame probably, or a mediocre regular season player and a lights out guy in the regular postseason that probably doesn't go to the Hall of Fame. Any sport, you may be in that local team's Hall of Fame, like a Julian Edelman's in the Patriots Ring of Honor, situation, ring of Honor and rings.
Speaker 2: So would you rather be Julian Edelman or Larry Fitzgerald?
Speaker 3: Oh, that'll question?
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 7: How many times have we done this?
Speaker 3: We do that every year.
Speaker 2: God, you can be Julian Edelman or Larry Fitzgerald.
Speaker 4: Selfishly, I think I want to be in the Hall of Fame even if I don't come through a couple of times during.
Speaker 2: The post shocker that you're being selfish.
Speaker 8: I'll be honest.
Speaker 2: He did come through in the Super Bowl. He played well. He probably would have been MVP, just not quite that good if he had gotten the tackle on James Harrison seton. Would you rather be Julian Edelman or Larry Fitzgerald?
Speaker 6: Edelman all day, I want to win, and I want to contribute in those wins. He had some massive games big catches, all of that. I'll take that all day.
Speaker 2: You can't tell the story of the NFL without Julian Marvin.
Speaker 3: Edelman, Paul Fitzgerald nine Pro Bowls. I'm still passing Julian Edman none Pro Bowls, but first ballot never pays for a drink in New England again.
Speaker 2: How about Tony Gonzalez, Julian Edelman Todd.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go Tony Gonzales, seatan.
Speaker 7: What are the abtions?
Speaker 2: Tony Gonzales, Julian Edelman.
Speaker 7: I'm still taking Julian Edeman.
Speaker 8: Adamman more memorable moment, okay, Pauline Adaman, no die.
Speaker 6: I love his career, Okay, maybe fair enough, even just having that moment against the Falcons. I think where he's like, no, I got it, I caught it. I caught it, and they're like, no way, dude, they hit the ground. He's like, I'm telling you I caught it. Watch and he did.
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know, now, it says a lot about who we picked because most of us are team players, and we picked Julian Edelman Todd.
Speaker 4: On my birthday. I'm gonna be suppers today tomorrow, maybe I have a.
Speaker 8: Different answer today.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm going with those.
Speaker 4: I'm going with life at jail then tuning them out right.
Speaker 2: Let me take a break. John Smoltz will join us. He was on the call last night with the Dodgers and the podres. We'll get to more phone calls as well. And uh, by the way, the gambling podcast that'll be later on today, that'll be up at Danpatrick dot com. And that'll be Shane Irving Dylan, the graphics guy. Dylan and Mario went to the game last night, the Mets and Phillies game, and I thought we'd see them on kiss cam, but apparently they were seated in different sections there, throwing us off a little bit. They actually brought women with them. Wow. Yeah, yeah, their girlfriends got them tickets, which I said, man, that might be Marrion type of people. You know, if your girlfriend's getting your tickets to the playoffs, that won't happen when you get married. But right now, and.
Speaker 4: The way that game played at that's a good karma right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: I was exciting to be at.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to John Smoltz. He was on the call last night, Padres and the Dodgers Game five tomorrow night in LA, game time eight Eastern on Fox Steven Portland, Steve, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Born in DP, third time, long time, Portland, Oregon. So my wife's asking me to call in every time Seen O'Connor has a birthday, because like him, same month, same day, same year, seven twenty four to seventy eight. But every time I either forget or I just can't get in. So say, in honor of Fritty Fritzie birthday, same month, same day, some beer, we're giving a shout out to seeing them.
Speaker 2: My wife don now.
Speaker 9: Onto the business in honor of Chris Bermant coming on and all the years in ESPN. Dan, you've talked at length over the years about your time at ESPN and going the transition from ESPN to going out on your own, the attic days, having a beer at the pizza shop there in La that day and regretting, wondering if you're going to regret.
Speaker 10: What you did.
Speaker 9: But as I was explaining to Tyler and with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady and these guys like what do you do when you leave?
Speaker 10: And these people lot, You have never really.
Speaker 9: Went into any kind of detail about how you were feeling emotionally mentally from you were the star, the faith of the of the network at that point, the peak, you were at your peak and with at ESPN, in my opinion, can you talk to us about how you felt emotionally going just what you were going dealing with at that time.
Speaker 2: Let me get to John Smoltz and then I'll try to bring back those emotions or memories there kind of a blur, painful, don't want to get emotional here in the final hour. It's Todd's day. It's Todd's birthday, John Smoltz, who shares a birthday with me on the call for the Padres Dodgers. Now we got game five in LA coming up tomorrow. Explain the Dodgers pitching strategy last night, John, because I likened it to a jigsaw puzzle or Rubik's cube, where you Dave Roberts had to make all of that work and somehow did last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're limited, right, They put a roster together. They're supposed to have a great pitching staff and that's been beat up. So they got to the postseason best record, all the pressure in the world on them, and then they really don't have a game for starters. So I've always said in a vacuum, you could do it one time. It's hard to do it all the time. You just need one guy to mess up. But give him credit. Every single guy came in. The score was lopsided. He's stick with. He stood with those guys even though he could have gone a different direction. And I think part of it is he didn't want the Padres to get any momentum, any rally, anything going, so that Game five is a totally different atmosphere now, even though everyone knows the Padres offense can explode. So he did a great job last night and sold the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Normally it used to come down to starting pitching. It does it anymore? What do you think Game five comes down to?
Speaker 5: Well, Game five and elimination, winner take all always comes down to the shortest leash for starters. So whatever starter goes longer, you think puts that team in a better chance to be successful. Look, the Mets have had great starting pitching. They've moved on. You've got teams that are trying to Like the Tigers, they're at the I mean every game is a miracle game. They've been playing momentum baseball. We've seen this new playoff format put a lot of stress on the teams that have had rest. Their offense doesn't get going. There's a lot of things in the mix. And for the Dodgers, really Game five comes down to can they do the things and the top of their lineup, whether Freddie's in there or not, to match what the Padres have done in the first three innings. It's been a simple formula. Padres explode early, they win, and last night they didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that atmosphere I thought in San Diego, I mean that that was Can you maybe compare another atmosphere that you had in San Diego these last two games, you know, Philadelphia, Philly, You're right, they were.
Speaker 5: This is a stand all the time. It doesn't matter what the score is. Something's a rally. Two zero counts a rally. And I've said in the postseason, the teams that handle the cleanest innings and don't allow some hiccup, you know what rallies were starting with two out walks. They were starting with a walk. So I love it. I think San Diego's atmosphere la will be raucous. I mean, these two teams don't like each other, it's well known, and they're now kind of sparking this rivalry because they're both good. I can make the argument that the San Diego Padres have the deepest roster and maybe the best roster in the postseason. But now they're going to have to find a way on the road to get by the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: A better chance of making mistake to Bonds and not paying for it or Otani.
Speaker 5: You know, Bonds was in an unbelievable world of his own. But what Otani's done now is early Bonds would steal a base and make you pay for walking around him. Otani will steal a couple bases, right, He'll just absolutely beat you on the path. So they've shown and he's shown that he is vulnerable to certain pitches. But here's the problem in the game today. There's a few pitchers that can go three times to that spot. We've got such a max effort and great stuff, but every hitter today is looking for that one mistake and when Otani gets it, you may not get it back.
Speaker 2: And you bring up a great point. I brought this up earlier. I sound like the guy who says, get off my lawn. If I was developing pitching or looking for pitching, I want to see somebody who can, you know, give me legitimate velocity but has location and movement. If you give me that, I'll let you throw a hundred. I don't don't care. But if you give me location in movement, and that's what I don't understand that. And we're not going to be developing these pictures because everybody's throwing a hundred, you got to throw a hundred, and yes, I mean that's to me. God, I would love to have those kind of pictures.
Speaker 5: Well, rule changes will come again to effectively change that again when you think about the way the game is operated. Look, I understand it's harder to hit today than ever before because velocity is at an all time high.
Speaker 2: But no rule changes are you talking about.
Speaker 5: They'll be pitching rule changes that will change the philosophy to get you more towards what you're saying, Because I if I'm having every picture break down and we're having this epidemic of pitching injuries. Organizational philosophy is not going to change unless there's a rule change, and that could be anywhere from you know, tie in your starting pitcher to the DH to roster manipulations that don't happen. You can only have so many relievers on a team. There's ways to affect the game, no different than two years ago. But your point is well taken, because if I don't have to teach a guy command and I just have to teach him how to throw that nasty stuff in that box, then the hitting styles are going to stay the same. Swing for the fences hope to connect, and you're only going to find a few elite pitchers that can throw a ball in the area that gets a pitcher out, that gets a hitter out. A well placed pitch still gets a hitter out. But it is the kind of philosophy that we're dealing with, and right now it takes more pitchers in a game to do that.
Speaker 2: Talking to John Smoltz, John will be on the call of Friday Night that'll be back in LA. Game time is eight eastern on Fox. Are the Mets a good team, great team or team of destiny?
Speaker 5: I think they're a team of destiny. You could make a statement that this good team, which is on a great run, believes in itself that after two months of the season it looked horrible and they stood the course, and I really got to give them credit that leadership inside and management took a took a heart look and saying what direction are we going? Many people maybe complained that they didn't go out and make a whole lot of moves before spring training was over, but what they did is establish themselves in the pitching rotation.
Speaker 8: Again.
Speaker 5: It comes down to a healthy starting rotation that now looks pretty good and a team that has gone through the gamut. You cannot have that roadmap and predicted they would be in this spot going to one sixty three. Well, in essence an extra day after the season playing a doubleheader, So I give them a lot of credit. That town's going to be on fire. They've been waiting a long time. And you've got really two teams kind of mirroring each other between the podres build it up, tear it down, Matt spend all kinds of you know, tear it down. And now look where both of those clubs are back with a chance to go to the World Series.
Speaker 2: I know that they're not musty TV, but the Tigers are a fun and I know you grew up a Tiger fan. It's fun to see and scooball might be the best pitcher in base If they get to a game five, then he'll be pitching. But just to see that, I mean, it's weird because you're like, oh, the starting pitcher's still in the game. John's it just does. I mean, he's that good that he's breaking the mold of what we have with starting pitchers now.
Speaker 5: He is that good. He pitches off his fastball, he's a big, strong down the hill, the good mechanics. It's refreshing and it's one of the things that they said they were not going to do is trade him. They traded other pieces. This was not supposed to be their year. I know. I've done a few events in Lancing, Michigan, and they asked me how far are the Tigers. Away said they're not that far and they're like, really, this was two months ago. I said, I think they're building something special over there.
Speaker 6: A J.
Speaker 5: Hins done a nice job. He's got them to believe and it seems like they're just burning the candle at both ends, trying to get just one win, just one win, and they're finding ways to do it. You might not have some wholesale names yet, but you're starting to develop some of that. And their bullpen's been great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Aaron Judge is probably going to the Hall of Fame when it's all said and done. But he is not a good postseason performer. He's batting two hundred, you know, he's striking out every third time in postseason.
Speaker 8: How does that?
Speaker 2: I know there's certain guys who just do well in the postseason, maybe not the regular season, but how do you explain Aaron Judge struggling?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say the attention and the over magnified approach to Aaron Judge is going to be hyper focused in the postseason when every starter or every pitcher gets the scorecard, the lineup card, and they circle Aaron Judge. They don't pitch him that way in the regular season. It's too long of a season. He's facing too many different pitchers. He's a great hitter that when he gets unlocked, I think will be able to handle what's coming at him. Because there's so much expected of them. The narratives in postseason are like the worst things in the world if you're not able to put them aside and do your thing. And what I would say, not for everybody, And we know heart beats are different. If you're mechanically sound at the postseason, the game's easier. If you're struggling, you're off, you're pressing, the game's harder. You're asked ten times more about your mini slump than you would be in the regular season.
Speaker 2: I have you what five career home runs, three career stolen bases.
Speaker 5: Regular seasons and I got I got a couple.
Speaker 2: In the postseasons. Okay, of course, could you see yourself as an o'ton? Were you Otani? They just wouldn't let you be Otani when you were when you were playing for the Braves.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a great question, Dan, and it's probably trending towards yes. But I don't want to spend a lot of time on the fact that I was not given that opportunity. In all seriousness, I hope this opens the door for more open mindness towards players who are talented. Maybe not like him, but I rooted for him to stay healthy on the mount because people have yet to see how great this guy is on the mount, and hopefully he can show it over the next five years and stay healthy and avoid the injury.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, Thanks for joining us. Safe travels my pleasure.
Speaker 5: Yep, same to you.
Speaker 2: It's John Smolt, Hall of Famer, World Series champ on the cy Young and of course the lead analyst for Fox. They don't have their Game five coming up at Dodger Stadium onnth Friday night. Tony in South Carolina. High tone, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hell?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 11: How you doing?
Speaker 2: Great? Tone?
Speaker 10: Dan? I just wanted to call in. This is my first time ever calling in six foot one two twenty five. I was excited this morning when I found out it was Fritzy's birthday ten ten. I've just come through a two year battle with advanced prostate cancer and I took my last test yesterday and I got the results this morning, and I am one hundred say cancer phrase.
Speaker 1: That's so big.
Speaker 2: That's more more important than Fritzy's birthday.
Speaker 10: Hell yeah, but it's a good Hey, can't can't baby, Let's go.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Tony, congratulation.
Speaker 3: Good laugh, very healthy.
Speaker 2: I know I like that. Ten tane, Let's good news there good news? Ring my bell?
Speaker 3: Who's singing that? Ring my bell?
Speaker 4: Blondie?
Speaker 8: Right? No, no, no, call me? Was Blondie?
Speaker 3: Ring my bell?
Speaker 2: Sounds like? Was it? Patti LaBelle? Anita ward ah Anit Award.
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy nine. Ring my bellned Award not familiar.
Speaker 2: I know the song, but it always reminds when I hear somebody's name is Anita. It always brings to mind a woman I met and her last name was Hooker and her first name was Anita, and she even said, get your joke out of the way. I'm like, don't need to because she said need a hooker, and I didn't like it. Caught me off guard because I was like, wow, that's forward, and then I realized that that was her name or she got married, and so she said, you know, get your joke out, and I go, I don't have one. I need a hooker. Colin in Iowa, Hey Colin, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: A DP Third Time, Long Time had a question for the room and a bet for Seaton. A question for the room is would you rather watch a Jets game with Woody Johnson a Panthers game with David Tepper or a Broncos game with Fritzy. And then my bet with Seaton is Iowa State going to West Virginia this weekend.
Speaker 9: I'd bet a.
Speaker 12: Bunch of Iowa smoke house meet up against the opportunity to attend to meet Friday. Thanks and all.
Speaker 2: Listen, Well, Satan doesn't have the authority to allow you to come in for a meet Friday. Correct, Yeah, so we can't have that beat. Do you want to watch a Bronco game with Todd We've done that, David Tepper or Woody Johnson. Well, chances are if you're watching a game with the Jets owner Woody Johnson, there's maybe some other famous people there with David Tepper. Don't spill a drink, I'm gonna go Woody Johnson. I think I'd I'd rather watch with Woody Johnson than David Tepper or a Bronco game with Fritzi. I mean, Fritzy is exactly how you think he would be. It's every call, every play, every moment. It's it's your wife videotaped you watch in the game. We watched the Super Bowl with you for a little while.
Speaker 4: Left in the first quarters, three nothing relaxed.
Speaker 8: No, no, but it's holding on Garrett balls again.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you go up to your room when we were watching the Super Bowl? They were winning, weren't they.
Speaker 4: I know, I just needed to be by myself. It's probably best for you guys to enjoy the second half of that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we would have enjoyed the first half without you too, Yes, Paul, I would.
Speaker 3: Have thought though with Todd. If you're winning, you stay in the same seat, you stay in the same place. Like a little superstition. You leave where you're sitting while your team's winning the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: That is a good point. I am very superstitious, but in that situation, I'm like, you know, I'm just getting nuts. Let you guys do your thing and I'll run around and be crazy in my room.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock. We are going to give Todd his birthday cake. We have to take it out of the freezer. It is a a ice cream cake.
Speaker 4: Got a cake to the face?
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no, no no no no. By the way, we do have a bed a wedding cake to the face. If Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift get engaged and Troy Aikman. I thought said that they were engaged, and then he had to backtrack on that. But then he was on barstool, and then I think he did say, hey, he was told they might be engaged. So if they get engaged, you get a wedding cake to the face, Todd, I do, all right, take a break. Last call for phone calls after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Raven's running back Derrick Henry gonna join us on the program tomorrow. He's the fifth player to reach ten thousand yards rushing and score one hundred touchdowns in their first one hundred and twenty five games. He enjoy. He joins a list that includes Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Ladanian, Tomlinson, and Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 3: Startup Day, Startup the.
Speaker 2: Day, Start of the Day, Start of the.
Speaker 9: Day, Startup the Day, Startup Day, Stup stat of.
Speaker 2: The Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. So he will join us on the program tomorrow. We are going to write the headline today for tomorrow with the Seahawks and the forty nine ers. So I'll give you guys a little bit of time. Let me get to James in Virginia, and then we will write tomorrow's headline. Today.
Speaker 11: Hey James, Wow, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 11: Happy Thursday, DT, Dannette, Salute the Commander, Rumbling, bumbling, stumbling, he could go all the way. Man, what a great interviewer, Boomer. This my twenty first year at UPS. I couldn't have madgin him forty five years for the Swami back back back back, dawn Man. Speaking of baseball, how about the amazing on a miracle run the miracle Mets man out town, Tyler. I've been a player for the kids. The Nauset Tides used to be the farm team that used to come down and play preseason before the season started. It was just a great experience. And I would be remiss if I didn't take the time out to shout out my guy Frinch do O double D. Happy birthday, brother, it's your birthday. Yeah, for your birthday fifty five years man. Congradulations man, you guys have a wonderful day to loot the commander.
Speaker 2: All right, Salute the commanders. By the way, I get Todd a cake. Now, I don't decide what the cake looks like. It's an ice cream cake. And then all of a sudden he goes, why is it shaped like a whale?
Speaker 4: A fair question.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: There was a shot.
Speaker 2: It was a short notice and it was Anthony the intern who went out and got it.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: Now I always calling him out. Just like that, I could afford to drop several LB's. I didn't think there'd be a whale shaped cake.
Speaker 2: I have no idea if that's what the cake was. That was already made short notice, and then they did put Happy Birthday Todd, and they only had one D on them.
Speaker 4: But you the well is a famous Carvel cake, so I can possibly wink at that. But there's gotta be other cakes.
Speaker 2: I don't think that there was a subliminal message being sent.
Speaker 8: That would be kind of mean on my birthday.
Speaker 2: It would be and I will discipline him. I will scold Anthony the inter. It would be accurate and fair to get for me to tell him I'm going to fire him. No, definitely, okay, because if you say fire Anthony the intern, then I'll go do that.
Speaker 4: It could be a little more sensitive next time, and then I'll just leave.
Speaker 7: It at down.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, Paul quickly fritzy, what animal would be more fitting with your physique?
Speaker 4: Like a bullfrog?
Speaker 2: It is not wrong.
Speaker 8: I got a big upper part and.
Speaker 4: Little skinny legs to bounce around him.
Speaker 7: He is not far off with a bullfrog.
Speaker 3: That's actually really good.
Speaker 4: Like throat and the mouth issues like I do skip leg day and it's just very thin legs and a big upper part.
Speaker 7: We have the let Todd clear his throat? Uh? Do you remember that from way back in the day. Yeah, let Todd clear his Do we have that?
Speaker 2: Barman? And he says, looking okay, right tomorrow's headline Today, tom.
Speaker 8: I'm going with Brock in a hard place, fox squawk.
Speaker 2: Okay, seek no counter.
Speaker 7: I'm going with forty whiners whoa yeah, okay, okay, take your losses like Marvin.
Speaker 8: G No thanks, Oh, niners dominated oay.
Speaker 3: Okay, Paulie, that was pretty ugly niners no show against the seahawk.
Speaker 12: All right?
Speaker 2: Did you find the the clip there Marvin with Todd?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, been a nice payoff. It would let us a right, They're stay in sports history. Paul the billiard.
Speaker 3: Ball was patented by John Wesley Hyatt. And I'm gonna yield the rest of my time for this clip, Marvin. I heard, I hear him play all right.
Speaker 8: Let's go with.
Speaker 3: Uh. Joe Namas and nineteen seventy seven played his last National Football League game with the Rams. Rams is correct. Back to you.
Speaker 2: Nineteen thirty six On this day, John Brungart, John Brungart first person to dot the I in script Ohio for Ohio State marching band. At halftime, John Brungart, run guard. Let me see anything else here?
Speaker 7: Umm?
Speaker 2: Oh? Nineteen twenty, Elmer Smith hits the first grand slamming World Series history, and then his teammate Bill Wam's Nass makes the first unassisted triple playing worlds Area again, Bill wams Ass, Is that the character from Succession? Yes, yes, Bill wams Nas.
Speaker 3: I'm asking you for that.
Speaker 8: March.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not about me, Paul, It's about Todd. It's his birthday. It's his birthday. Thank you, Todd Blacklitch, who's doing the Oregon Ohio State game tomorrow. Derrick Henry said to join us as well. What did you learn today, Tod?
Speaker 4: There's already been some talk about a twenty four team college football playoff Watt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's down the road, It's coming. Seaton, Chris Berman still the King. E Marvin.
Speaker 8: You want pictures with movement, I do.
Speaker 2: Give me movement and location over velocity.
Speaker 3: Paul Todd is built like a bullfrog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I thought it was Jeremiah Todd. What did I learn today?
Speaker 4: The new norm using starting relievers and pizzing a game together like the Dodgers did last night in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Tierrack dot com the official tire expert at the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tire rack dot com. Slash down tried the tire Decision Guide. Full lineup of Kumo tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tirerac dot com The way tire buying should be a lot of fun. Thanks for joining us. We'll try to do better tomorrow. Happy birthday, Tod