Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Thursday, October third, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number forty one. Welcome to the latest edition of The Breakwall, Live from that WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LG. LG is the world's number one O led TV brand for eleven years in counting seey at LG dot com Ford slash o led Evo. Today we're going to talk a little bit about the Pittsburgh defense versus the Cowboys offense. Yesterday we did break down the opposite the Cowboys offense, I mean Cowboys defense versus Pittsburgh's offense. A lot of interesting things on this defense. This is a very very good defense. So Brian will break down what the Cowboys will be facing this weekend and we'll get to some player evaluations, some offensive players that we have not talked about as much, and focus in a little bit on some of those wide receivers that you're probably going to see a little bit more of this weekend with Brandon Cooks being out. But we're going to start right there with injuries. There are two guys on the injury report that I think are most significantly worth talking about. Kayln Carson was limited in practice yesterday with a shoulder injury. He missed last week's game. The hope is that they can get him back this week, and then of course Brandon Cooks out presumably at least one week, maybe a few weeks with the knee injury. Let's talk first about Kayln Carson. Brian, what are we hearing there as far as his availability for the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were last week they they knew they weren't going to have him, and then this week it was going to be about, okay, try and get him uh onto the practice field in any way possible. And he's dealing with a shoulder bruise, so it was just a matter of with a bruise that's blood in the area there, you know, and getting that down and he's swelling any any things you know, you need to range emotion to be able to play corner. You know, you've got to be able to use your you gotta be able to extend and be able to to be able to defend balls.
Speaker 2: And things like that.
Speaker 3: Tackle tackle on the perimeter would be a really good thing to be able to do.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So they're going to work through him with him this week and see where they're they're at. So as we uh, we had yesterday's practice. Today, we'll see what the designation is today. But the the intent is to try and get him ready to go on on Sunday night in Pittsburgh. But it was looking like it was a you know, it's kind of a wait and see thing. But they're at least encouraged these out on the practice field again.
Speaker 5: A right, I have a question. Maybe it's me, but I feel like it's you.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 5: One, the practice report looked a lot better than I thought in my mind or what I was expecting, but looking at it, and it just popped into my head. And since we started having this conversation of how well are they practicing and all that isn't me And I was trying to go to the previous three weeks, But I feel like I never really see other teams resting their veterans like having and I are rest day.
Speaker 4: Well, let me clarify one thing real quick.
Speaker 6: I don't know that you necessarily have to designate rest for a veteran. So other teams may list the guys limited or out or on their practice report and they were doing it just to rest them. I think the Cowboys that seems to be more of a how we sing where they didn't rest more than anything else. But there may be other cause there are I know I look at other injury reports every single week, and we're gonna talk a little about some of the injuries that that the Pittsburgh Steelers have and and some of those guys, you know, they start off on DMP or they start off unlimited, and as the league goes on, it's fully and and I think some of that is probably resting guys, but again we don't know that for sure.
Speaker 5: And it's just curious because they just the way it's presented, it looks different. Like for example, if there's somebody uh dealing with something, it will say what the injury is, calf growing ankle, and then it'll be listed US limited but every time we see the practice report for these guys, and it's just a question that just popped into my head as I look at this, I'm like, hum, I never see them ceoposing teams listen it this way, and it makes me wonder, are they actually dealing with an injury? Which I'm sure everyone's banged up at this point, but it just brought it brought into my head, like what does that look like for other teams around the league? And are we resting these guys so much? Not to say that I don't want trouble, but I get it you have to rest and all that. I'm just curious as to what it all makes actually entails.
Speaker 3: You know, that's an interesting point you make because you wonder on Wednesday what kind of installation goes in on a practice? You know, is Thursday really your most important day? Is Friday your most important day?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: For installation? Are you just kind of basically going through things on Wednesday? Like are guys sitting out major parts of installation?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You know, That's where that's where you get a little That's where the questions I would have, you know, if I was in the building across the way, you know, and we have this rest plan. My my concern would be if we were resting guys on major days of installation or is you know, like to me, it really kind of important short origin goal line, you know, especially the goal line, the red zone stuff. We're resting guys on the red zone.
Speaker 2: Area, then to me, that seems like a problem.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe we need to evaluate because if you remember one year, they're playing a game in Philadelphia and Amari Cooper wasn't on the field when they were down in the red zone and Mike McCarthy's they were asking why wasn't Amari in the game, and well, he hasn't. He didn't practice those plays, he didn't need. You know, we were better, We had a better chance with the guys that had practiced the plays. I'm thinking, damn, this is one of your best players and he's not on the field for a crucial part of the game trying to get the ball into the end zone. So it's a it's an interesting point you make, and I.
Speaker 8: Think it comes into my head just.
Speaker 3: I think I think Dallas listed lists their designations differently than a lot of teams.
Speaker 2: I just I think there's teams that rest their guys. Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: But I wonder, I wonder if you could, if they could walk me through, if they could walk me through what would be a Wednesday? Is a Wednesday practice just normal down in distance? Is it first? Intends its second and sevens? Is it you know, third? And you know, I mean if it's if it's red zone, short yardage stuff like that, I want my guys practicing. If it's normal down in distant stuff, maybe I'm a little bit more open to Okay, my guys are not practicing this in this period today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think that the biggest thing is just does it help? Like I don't mind him doing whatever plan he wants to do for resting guys and making sure guys have what they need.
Speaker 4: The question is does it help?
Speaker 6: Does it see does it end up in resulting in them playing better and the team ultimately having team success? And that's the part where you know, you obviously don't really know, but that's what I would be, you know.
Speaker 3: Mostly unfortunately last year at the end of the season, you know, and if you talk to people, and I'm still friends with a lot of the medical staff guys, the one thing they appreciate about Mike McCarthy is his understanding of his players or his team's health.
Speaker 2: He gets that.
Speaker 3: They're like, hey, listen, we've worked with coaches and this staff a lot of these guys, Jim Mauer and those guys can go all the way back to Britt Brown.
Speaker 2: Those guys can go all the way back.
Speaker 3: To Jimmy Johnson in the early nineties. They've been here a long time, so they understand. They've been through coaches. They've been through Jimmy, They've been through you know, they've been through Chan Gaily's. They've been through Dave Campo's. They've been through Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips, They've been through all, you.
Speaker 2: Know them all.
Speaker 3: I'm trying, but you know, it seems like Jimmy was a really good selection back in the day. I don't know why we all of a sudden we said he wasn't any good. But I'm just kidding. But the thing is is, you go through the coaches, you know, these these these these trainers are like, hey, you know, there's there's a lot of questions. You know, I remember Britt Brown like yelling at Parcels, Parcels yelling at him about you know, like you caddle these guys, you do this, you do that, and but it's like where where'd you get your training degree from? You know, And it was a lot of back and forth. And some of these coaches are very very you know, they're very like, you know, hey, practice play, Jason Garrett very much a if they practice, they're going to.
Speaker 2: Play, you know, and everybody else they don't and they're not.
Speaker 3: But this is where I'm concerned. I'm sorry being so long winded. That's just what I do. But the thing about it is at the end of the year, unfortunately, Tank Lawrence in an interview.
Speaker 2: Said that the team was tired.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if his words were the accurate or if he he was looking for something, but it described a team as he as he said, was tired. Then I had a chance or one oh five three the fan when we were at the Super Bowl in Las Vegas, had a chance to interview, you know, interview Cook's interview Gilmore and one of my colleagues asked, what's this thing about being tired? And you could see the look on gilmour in Cook's face like what do you mean tired? You know, they were like kind of eyes rolling, kind of thing. And I think maybe Tank used the wrong phrase. But the one thing that this coach will do this is my point, is he makes sure that his team is as.
Speaker 2: Fresh as possible.
Speaker 3: And now whether that's good enough or bad and I don't know, because they've been really fresh and going into playoffs and.
Speaker 2: The thing completely fall apart on him.
Speaker 3: So I admire him for knowing that. But I think the designation that he is, he's trying to like protect his guys. But also I would have the question if I was in the front office, are they missing anything on a Wednesday practice that's hurting us in a game?
Speaker 2: To Ambar's point, all right.
Speaker 4: Let's move on.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about the Pittsburgh injury report. There were some interesting interesting names on this report that did not practice yesterday. Really at two primary positions. You had a linebacker both Alex high Smith who was out with a groin injury and Nick Herbig who was also out with an ankle injury. And then you had two running backs Cordero Patterson who we talked about yesterday out with an ankle injury, and Jalen Warren we didn't talk as much about. But he's going out of their offense absolutely with an eat knee injury. Is there anything that that you're hearing on that, Brian?
Speaker 4: What you about those guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, high Smith's not gonna play and that's and that is going to be a huge loss.
Speaker 2: So if you're going to if you're going to trade one of.
Speaker 3: Your best defensive players, you're one of your you know, you've got a couple of defensive players, you're you're losing when you start to talk about tank and then Parsons Alex high Smith opposite J. T. J. Watt is a is a really good combination. Herbig is the backup to Highsmith. So when high Smith goes out, Herbig comes in. Well, here's a guy that can also rush the passer. So now they're in a situation where no high Smith and we'll see what happens with Herbik here.
Speaker 2: With the ankle.
Speaker 3: But those would be big, big losses for the Steelers defense because the one thing that they will do is they will get after you. They're they're a four man rush get after you defense, you know, and they really don't rely on the blitz all that much. They really you know Turtle Austin the DC there, he wants to come get you with four. And it's funny. I look this up, Derek. They're one of the there. They're a weird team.
Speaker 2: They think.
Speaker 3: There's five teams in the league that when they bring more than four, their pressure numbers go down. And the Steelers are one of them. They want they want to rush you. When they bring that fifth rusher, they're numbers, their pressure numbers go down. There's four other teams that are like that.
Speaker 2: In the league.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of funny. You think, well, bring pressure, they can't block us all. Well, they bring pressure with the Steelers, you block them all and then you know, and they play a ton of zone defense, and that's been a problem for them. They play a ton of the zone defense, and they give up. They give up plays that way. The coverage plays off, there's passes underneath, there's run after catch, there's there's things. And when we get into this that you can I feel like you can attack these guys in a couple of different ways.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and real quick on those on those running backs as well. Yeah, to be honest with you, Najie Harris, he is their starter. He's the guy I'm least concerned about because I don't know if he's as dynamic as those other guys.
Speaker 3: They got a cowboy situation going on there. Yeah, I don't know if they're playing their best guy. To me, Patterson really isn't now Warren is. I think Warren's a good player, but he's been banged up. Patterson is not a running back. Patterson is a football player, football player exactly it. You know, they try to run a counter the other day, and backs will take a counter step. You know, they have this really nifty way of stabbing their foot and then and everybody goes one way and then they cut it back the other way. Patterson was kind of like a bourbon street drunk. He was kind of stumbling and then all of a sudden got his balance and then they hand him the ball into seven yard game yep, Because you know he's trying to do the running back counter but he can't do the counterstep. You know, if he was on Dancing with Stars, he'd be they'd boot him off kind.
Speaker 2: Of a thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he I mean, they've got Warren and Patterson are really their best backs. Harris is and they're a volume run team. We talked about that they are a volume run team that plays a ton of thirteen personnel that really doesn't take very good advantage of that.
Speaker 6: We're gonna take our first break, but I'll throw this out before we go, because I think it's gonna color a lot of the conversation that we're gonna have in this second segment about the Pittsburgh defense versus the Dallas offense. I was looking at the weather report, and I know amber bows rise.
Speaker 4: But no, this is the one thing.
Speaker 6: This is the one piece of weather that actually changes NFL games. There are thunderstorms that are reportedly going to be happening throughout the entire night.
Speaker 3: So we met whether you may have weather delays what happened in Denver team, but you.
Speaker 6: Also have to think about it if it's a wet night, how much does that affect the passing game? Again, with two teams that don't have the greatest running games, but you know Pittsburgh likes to run it right and Dallas, who doesn't really run it and hasn't shown that it's really good at running it. If you get into one of those kind of messy games, I think that's going to change the complexion of what happens in this game. I think it's worth talking about. We'll do that when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty details.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas.
Speaker 12: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys from.
Speaker 13: The field of the festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back to the Break, LG ol at evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it.
Speaker 8: Not After yesterday, Digital Trends.
Speaker 5: Said the the LG oled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. So do take the word for Digital Trends. They know what they're talking about. Yeah, see for yourself at LG dot com slash oled evo.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, second segment of the Break, Laughing Mats WBC Morty Studios at the start, what'd you say?
Speaker 4: What are you about to say?
Speaker 3: No, I was laughing at your story about mister Rooney just going through the line. You know, the Rooney family. I worked with Dan Junior, who was was an NFL Europe and he's the son of and Dan. Dan's scout for the Steelers. He doesn't want His wife's a doctor that live in Chapel Hill. You would never know that his family owns this Pittsburgh Steelers. He's like the most just play nice guy, you know, I mean, just hey, I just want to fit in, don't want to cause a problem. But like your family owns one of the most historic franchises and professional sports. But there's some of the nicest people.
Speaker 2: Real quick.
Speaker 3: If I could tell a story you talk about the Rooney just mister Rooney going through the line like everybody else, not cutting in or anything. Willington Mirror of the Giants, held an elevator for me one time. Yeah, he ever told you the story about I was at the was at the old Giant Stadium and like I was coming, I was flying around the corner, you know, and I was trying to I heard the elevator was closing, and I'm like, well, hold the elevator and all of a sudden, an arm like with a navy blazer and cuff links, probably some very expensive company. Yeah, and the arm comes out the elevator and I turned the corner. It opens and it was Willington Mirror, the owner of the Giants. He like stuck his arm out of the elevator and it and and I and I stopped, I mean in my tracks, and I go, mister Mirror, I'm really sorry. He goes, get on, Sun, come on, We're all going the same spot. And I'm like, well, thank you. He saw my cowboy, my my logo, like, oh here checking this out.
Speaker 10: Huh.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, yes, sir, just do a little scouty.
Speaker 3: He goes, all right, well enjoy and he got off in his air and I'm like, but yeah, here, hey, hold that elevator and is like the owner of the Giants like sticks his arm out to you know, like sacrifice for me.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh gosh, what I just do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The story I was telling was in the break was we were in Pittsburgh for Rudy Families, mister Rooney the father. Yeah, and I think he's pasted since yes, but he was I was in the press box, and we were going through the line getting food and uh and then you just see this elderly gentleman standing in line, and by the way, you would never guess he was the owner of the Steelers. Like he was just you know, kind of just there and people would walk by and say, how you doing, mister Rooney, and how you going. But he just he got in line like everybody else, didn't jump the line, like they just got.
Speaker 4: In line, walked through, got his food and spoke to everyone.
Speaker 2: They asked it for his press box ticket. Now you know, they usually ask it if you're a we're your ticket, your president.
Speaker 6: Yeah you had a credential, shouts back when security wasn't what it is. Yeah, now you got eyes they're checking your eyes and everything else.
Speaker 2: But that's crazy.
Speaker 6: But no, it was just it was kind of it just stood out to me that he was so much just one of Again.
Speaker 3: There's a great history between these two franchises. I mean, trust me growing up in the seventies as a kid and the heartbreak that I had with these being a Cowboys fan and the Steelers, I mean there their roster was just as good as your rust and it was just a battle and the super Bowls were just so tough and heartbreak and just it was.
Speaker 2: It was tough.
Speaker 3: But there's a there's a great history that the Rooney family that was one of the pillars of the National Football League. They really are the Maras, the Rooneys, these old families that own these teams were They're incredible.
Speaker 2: The great part of why we all have jobs is because of.
Speaker 8: Iways here about the history of Oh my god, is crazy.
Speaker 5: As a current fan or you know, like in today's nowadays world, it doesn't feel like it really you don't. It was like you don't meet the Steelers of their.
Speaker 3: Last super Bowl was against them, you know, and you played a lot of Super Bowls before that with them.
Speaker 2: And seriously, they they had they had Hall of Fame players. I mean, they're rostered.
Speaker 3: You had Hall of Fame players like you'll see on the sidelines of the stadium. Just look at their ring of Honor that they have and the next legit it is like you're going, my gosh.
Speaker 6: You go through other stadiums and you'll you'll look up, yeah, exactly, the Steelers they got.
Speaker 4: I mean when I was a kid and I grew up in Houston.
Speaker 2: You saw it with Houston when I grew up in the Chuck Nolan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there were two of my favorite players, like as a kid that I really looked up to mean Joe Green Frankel Harris Steelers. I wasn't a Steeler fan, but those two players just always stuck out to me, and they had that caliber of player.
Speaker 4: They just had a bunch of really really.
Speaker 6: Good players back in the day and and they've had a you know, over the years. And it's one of the things interesting things to me, probably more than any other franchise I can think of. There is a culture that seems to just be like when you say the Steeler Steeler football, it's been the same thing. Play tough defense, right, very physical defense, run the ball well like this has been like going back to the seventies. This has been their mantra and it's what they continue to do today. And it's just it's interesting.
Speaker 4: To me how they can. I mean, they've only had with three coaches in the.
Speaker 2: His three coaches since nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's like they don't change coaches, but they keep the same culture pretty much. And that's probably how you do it. You don't change the coaches and you can just have this one culture that kind of keeps going, you know, generate every generation after generation.
Speaker 3: Every time you want to throw dirt on Mike Tomlin like he's lost his quarterbacks, he's done. He's he finds a way to get the team to eight.
Speaker 2: When sits up in the top, he is.
Speaker 3: Just always The last time they made it to the Super Bowl, Uh, it was against they lost the Packers.
Speaker 2: I think in your backyard here, I think that it.
Speaker 4: Was just twenty ten. Yeah, I think it was after two thousand and nine season.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, was it ten or was it eleven? Because it's somewhere in that run somewhere that tenn super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they they had been they'd won the Super Bowl before and they went in Detroit, they beat the Seattle and then but then but your last super Bowl was against them, and that was the one you won in a super Bowl thirty That's what.
Speaker 2: That one was. All right.
Speaker 6: So let's talk a little bit about this this Pittsburgh defense. Let's put it really let's put it all in the context too, of like they're they're going to have to play in some elements, So how is that going to affect what they're doing?
Speaker 4: What they want to do and what the Cowboys want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is when you start to talk about there's a there's a common thread we're going to talk about here.
Speaker 2: Uh, when you know this.
Speaker 3: Is the third AFC nor team you've played, it's a common thread.
Speaker 2: Defensive line. That's what it's the whether.
Speaker 3: It's Cleveland Baltimore Steelers, it's about your defensive line. You can't function in that division unless you have good guys up front. And these guys might not have the name guys, they do have the TJ. Watt that that is the name that you're going to have to deal with. He's predominantly going to play over Terrence Steele. That's where he lines up. He lines up extremely wide, and he's going to rush. He's going to try and take you wide, and he's going to try and take you inside. Teams have found ways to chip him, you know, to keep him, you know, kind of make him distracted. Teams have run the ball at these defensive ends for the Steelers, and I think high Smith was a little bit better run defender now him out of the game, but her Big and Watt they're linear guys, They're thinner guys, and they're built to rush the passer and you get bodies out on them. In numbers people have done this where they've tossed the ball that direction and just got bodies and tried to mash them and had a little bit success doing that. So you know, when they can rush the passer, they got an advantage. When they have to play the run, it's a little bit of a problem for them to have to kind of defend the run that way, but what they make up for it is inside you have the nose tackle with Keanu Benton is a is a load to deal with inside. He's not your three hundred and fifty pound guy, but he's super active number five ninety five. He can he kind of beats up your center, he beats up your guard. Cameron Hayward, he's going to predominantly line up over Tyler Smith. And so when you start to talk about Cam Hayward, he can get pressure from the inside. So you got pressure from the edges, pressure from the middle. But the way that he his way he lines up, he's going to be against one of your better when and you look at you look at the metrics on Hayward is good at defensive tackle pressure. Tyler Smith is one of the best in the league when it comes to not allowing tackle pressure. So that's a good matchup, that's a good poss ability. How things are going to be played on the outside are going to be the key, as they always are. You know, how do you be able to handle what you know? I think that Patrick Queen, who they got from the Ravens is played in the games I've seen. He looks like a guesser right now. It might not be maybe he needed at the Ravens. He kind of had guys around him that could kind of help him with what was going on scheme wise. But when these guys give up a big play, an explosive play, it's a gamble or a guess is what happens. And when I say gamble, that's on the outside. We'll get to these cornerbacks here in a second. But Patrick Queen, there's some times in the running game, especially with the Chargers game, where they were able to kind of bend the ball back and they took advantage of how aggressive. But sometimes Patrick Queen will jump gaps. Peyton Wilson is a rookie linebacker. Loved him everybody in the Draft show. He's from North Carolina extremely banged up, doesn't have an ACL but is a tough player, and the Steelers took him in the third round and he's a very active guy as far as making tackles and things like that. Right now, he's playing better than what Queen. You'll see another one. You'll see number fifty Roberts in there as well. They kind of try when they try and kind of rotate their guys in the inside linebacker spot of it. But Queen is a guy that people have taken advantage of in the running game, and they've taken advantage of a little bit in the coverage aspect of putting him in coverage, he's had some problems with that in the secondary. Joey Porter Junior, they stole him in the second round in the twenty twenty three draft. He's one of the best corners. Last year he played a lot more tight window coverage. I mean, you look at it.
Speaker 2: I went back.
Speaker 3: I'm like, man, he looks like he's he struggled a little bit, but they playing a lot more zone coverage. And when he plays off, I don't think he's as good a player When he's on you. Then there's the tight window throws like last year it is fifty percent tight window throws. This year he's down. He's down, you know, well down tight one like again. I think a lot of it has to do with the zone coverage that they're playing here, him and then Dante Jackson number twenty six. They've struggled when that zone. You see routes break in front, you see routes down the field, they have to rally to tackle. They haven't played a lot of man coverage that way. And I'll be interested to see with Dallas's situation, do they allow Dallas to have free access and routes, especially with no Cooks involved. Now in this last game. In this last game, Porter and Jackson split, it was fifty to fifty on the sides they played. I was curious, like, hey, in college sometimes they play what we call a boundary corner, which is into the sidelines, and then they have a field corner, which plays the whole field. So I really couldn't get a gauge of why. But you will see Jackson and Porter flip sides, and I don't think it's I don't think it's a coverage thing. I think it's just they that's what they do. So in some games they'll play really fifty to fifty split and in other games you'll see them play more Porter to one side and Jackson to the other. They must have felt like against the Chargers there was something that they that they were on or the excuse me, the the one of the Chargers. It was the uh, the Colts they went fifty to fifty. The Chargers they played a little bit more station like the Porter stayed on one side and then Jackson was on the other. But they they have the capability of playing both sides. You know, with Dallas down, you know, down a receiver, we'll see they might just determine that, Hey, you know, we got to take Lamb out of this game, and if anybody else beats us, then then so be it. But they they will, they will flip sides on Amika Fitzpatrick.
Speaker 2: The safety is.
Speaker 3: Always around the ball. I mean he is always around the ball. Deshaun Elliott. Now, they've had some problems in their second arry with communication because they're given up. They've given up some plays and especially down in the red zone. It happened in the Colts game the other day. I was watching them, was confused because Patrick Queen was like yelling at Porter.
Speaker 2: Because of spacing.
Speaker 3: You see them learn like you know, they throw the ball inside it Joe Flackel, Boom, it's a touchdown right there. And then all of a sudden, you see, you know, Queen's like yelling at Porter, and Porter's kind of like, what you know, you got that?
Speaker 2: I got you know.
Speaker 3: So we'll see, let's see if this if the communication problems carry into this game. But you know it's going to be about if you're going to have to throw the ball, it's going to be have to be blocking t J.
Speaker 2: Watt.
Speaker 8: We're looking at it.
Speaker 5: I mean, they don't allow a lot of points other than the Colts game, which was twenty seven seventeen nothing before they knew.
Speaker 6: By the way, they are second in the league and points allowed, only allowing thirteen points per game. And the Indie India is the only team that's really been able to get their offense going.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, they really they did a great job.
Speaker 3: Atlanta was awful in week one, and then they played a rookie quarterback in week two, you know, but they did a really nice job against Justin Herbert and against the Chargers.
Speaker 2: They limited what they can do.
Speaker 3: But the Chargers did make a couple of plays that kind of made me think, like, okay, Dallas, what you got to do with these guys is they will what I call bump coverage, and they if you bring motion. And this is the great mystery all of a sudden, but if you bring motion and you make them bump the coverage, you could set it up where you could put some of their weaker cover guys on your better players. You know, you could kind of set it up, but you gotta be willing to make them bump the coverage.
Speaker 2: Which means you got to use motion to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the Chargers were able to do that and it caused it caused them a little problems. It was some pretty creative stuff that they were able to bump. And then they got the safety on a receiver and that was a bad matchup for them.
Speaker 2: So there's things you could capable do.
Speaker 3: This isn't the ninety the eighty five Bears of the two thousand Ravens defense.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've got.
Speaker 3: Good players, You've played some you've played some good defenses already, you know, and been able to handle things. But you just got to make sure you don't let Watt wreck this game for you.
Speaker 6: All right, let's take our final break, Let's come back. Let's talk about the wide receiver position. Let's talk about Jalen Tober, Jalen Brooks and Cavante Turpin. The question will be which is more important this game? Without the likes of Brandon Cooks, We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 7: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 7: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 7: Lg ole led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 4: See for yourself at ELG slash oh leed Evil.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 16: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even say it's a Pepper.
Speaker 7: Thing and we're going to overtie Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 17: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica respondses me very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance, message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G free for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: At and T Connecting changes Everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome Back.
Speaker 6: Final segment of the break Life in SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star Got I guess about eight minutes here, So let's talk about the wide receiver position. I have this question for you, as you look at the fact that Brandon Cooks will be out, which player would you think is more important that the Cowboys need to try to get involved in the absence of Brandon Cooks, Jalen Tolbert, Jalen Brooks or Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 5: See with Jalen tolver I really like him, I do, and I think he's done a really good job. But what it makes me wonder I'm with being let's say a number two and having more attention drawn his way, is he gonna be able to perform as good or make as many plays?
Speaker 8: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: And my answer that I give you it's not gonna matter because they're not gonna they won't do it, like, for example, cavan To Turping. I still think he's a very good weapon Brooks. We've seen him how good he can be. He's made a lot of plays when given the opportunity, even at practices, he's always shined. I think he can be very very good too as well, and I would love to see him be more involved.
Speaker 8: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I see the possibility of all three of them being good for the offense, but.
Speaker 8: Is he gonna click? Are they gonna actually execute it very well? I don't know.
Speaker 2: If Weather's poor.
Speaker 3: To me, getting Turpin involved makes a lot of sense because if they're gonna play a lot of his own coverage and it's gonna be wet, put a guy on the move and make them if they're gonna play stationary guys and not really move, just hit a guy in the move and let him.
Speaker 2: Run, you know. Tolbert Brooks, Floornoy. I'll say this about about Tolbert.
Speaker 8: Do you think we'll see a lot of him? Floornoy?
Speaker 2: I would think so.
Speaker 4: It's probably gonna be acting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gound be active. But but this is where this is where, this is where I would I would see Florinoy. If you're interested in running the football, and you're doing all your crack tall stuff, and you're putting you know, or you're throwing these bubble screens, and you have guys that are blocking out there, I'm tired of seeing Tolbert out there. Hold I'm saying I'm tired of seeing Tolbert get knocked on the ground. You know, I'm tired of. He's not a good blocker out there. He's not a good blocker in space efforts. Fine, his technique is poor. The one thing with Flornaway, you got a big guy, big body guy. This would be the audition that I would keep to think about. Okay, is this is this a guy that I want to keep on every week that can help me, you know, can catch balls, can also block in those tough running game situations, but also play some special teams. If I'm Flornay, I'm taking these next couple of weeks and trying my best to be on the forty eight every week, you know, and maybe he could show up better as a blocker than what we've seen from from uh, you know from from because we have it. We've seen holding calls, we've seen penalties, you.
Speaker 2: Know we haven't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's made catches, but make catches, be able to block. But that's on the coaches though, too, you know, that's on the coaches.
Speaker 6: I'll say this, Brandon Cooks, and not to say that the Cowboys utilize it all the time, but the dimension that he adds to an offensive speed and the one guy on this list that I think has that kind of speed, is Cavante Turpin. I don't think the Cowboys take advantage of the speed that they have on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 8: But what I'm saying because even with Cooks healthy, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we've seen that and they don't they don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, they primarily kind of have him run out and do you know curls hooks, you know, that's basically his route.
Speaker 3: Tree Pittsburgh has a similar offense, run of the sticks and curl Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I'm thinking, like, I think this is a game, and I'm assuming that you'll be able to you know, these are professional players.
Speaker 4: Even with rain, they should be able to throw the ball.
Speaker 6: I think there'll be some opportunities for Cavante Turpin if they're willing to use him, getting upfield and trying to to take some shots. I just don't know if they'll use it. But I do think that can give you He can give you that kind of game that you should have been getting from Brandon Cooks before whatever reason just don't consistently get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, Hunter Lipke, I mean, he's another guy that he's shown to be able to catch them.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe in a wet weather game, too. Hunder Lipke running the football not a not a bad option there. I mean, now you know when people say, well he needs to hold on the ball, well, that was one time. I think Hunter Lipkey has shown you he could play with balance, He's got vision, he's tough. Yeah, if it turns into okay, we're fighting for four and five yards of carry here. You know, Hunter Lipke would not be a bad option. Or throwing him the ball is not a bad option. He's not going to make a mistake that way. He's going to make plays for you. Every time he makes a play, the play after seems to be even a better play. Somebody makes a touchdown. You know, we saw Ceedee Lamb he had the fourth down run. What happened the very next play they had the past to to lamp touchdown against the Giants. I mean, he's the kind of guy that keeps the offense going that way.
Speaker 6: I heard something on the radio this morning on one O five three the Fan. It was on Sean and RJ Show, and they mentioned that the Cowboys were I think they said second right now in the league in streak a number of consecutive games without a one hundred yard rusher and I want to say. The number was like I want to say, but the next closest team was the Broncos. They were leading the league. I think it's like seventeen. And they asked ask an interesting question. I'll ask you, guys, if the Cowboys are going to break this streak this season, which of those, which of the running backs on this team is more likely to do it?
Speaker 2: Hmmm?
Speaker 8: Just gives him in every way, I mean most likely down I guess.
Speaker 5: But uh, I want to see the guy that's still sitting there in the practice squad waiting to be called up, because that's.
Speaker 2: If anything, if anything, just something different.
Speaker 8: Some exactly something.
Speaker 2: But it's not it's not about it.
Speaker 8: It might not even work exactly.
Speaker 5: But the benefit of the doubt that maybe I'm giving them is like, Okay, they see the whole practice. Maybe they're seeing something that is just like okay, well you guys like us, we don't get to see. And there's a reason why they're making this decision not to put him up just yet. But I mean, it's just it's just I don't see anybody doing it.
Speaker 3: Dalvin Cook, I think it's Dalvin Cook. I think there's they're going to get to a point and unfortunately, I don't let the thing get to two and five. You know, don't don't don't find.
Speaker 8: What you decide to bring him up?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you need to.
Speaker 3: If if you get to a point there, there's going to you're going to need the ability to run the football. And you know there's going to come to a time too where they're going to look at it and they're going to go, we've I mean, the next two weeks are not going to be easy playing playing offense against these next two defenses Pittsburgh and I know we've talked about Pittsburgh. Yeah, I mean it's but to me, if somebody's going to break dabt'll makes a lot of sense. Hunter Lipkey would be the next guy. If you volume, you carry just you know, I'd love to see a game where Dallas is ahead and they just turned the Hunter Lipkey in a four minute offense and it turned into deck just like they did against the Giants. First down, pass for four or five yards, Hand the ball to Hunter Lipkey for four or five Hand it to him again for a first down. Throw the ball again on first down.
Speaker 2: You know, play play. Don't play a game.
Speaker 3: Where you're you're having to run it. But Dallas did a good job against the Giants on first down throwing the ball to at least get five or six yards, so the next play could be a positive run, you know. But I'd love to see Hunter Lipke getting a four minute offense on a grass field in Pittsburgh and just try and wear them down at the end of a game and kill this thing off.
Speaker 2: That would be glorious.
Speaker 5: And if anything, I mean bringing Cook up, and I get it it. It gets tricky with the whole roster spot situation and how many times you can bring him up. And but but the point is maybe that also elevates everybody else's game and puts them in their toes like, oh crap, okay, let me let me do something better here. You know. It creates a more competition within their own running back group. But they just have to do something different and you have someone different. They're just waiting to be called up.
Speaker 6: All right, that's a wrap. We'll be back on tomorrow. We'll wrap this thing up before you get you guys ready for the Sunday game. Hopefully it does happen on Sunday.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 2: We're going to.
Speaker 6: Brian Roddison Navigarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.