Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Money is about making and investing your money, but it's also about spending it, and a lot of people like spending it on golf, both watching and playing it. Professional golf only caught the attention of golfers for decades, but over the last five years it's become kind of a soap opera. Bloomberg Senior Business of Sports reporter Randall Williams joins us Now and Randall, I go to the idea that for people in the US, professional golf was equal to the PGA Tour, But then you had Live Golf, which was funded by the Saudi Arabians, popping up as a competitor. And then at some point the two decided on a merger. But then I don't think anything happened. What's the latest or what has happened.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been on an indefinite pause, but the PGA Tour has evolved since then. Of course Livgolf entered. It caused a lot of chaos. But then you had the Strategic Sports Group that's backed by Fenway's Sports Group is backed by Steve Cohen, who's the Mets owner. And then you have Arthur Blank who's the Falcon's owner. Them and a lot more people put up to three billion dollars into the PGA Tour, which created a for profit arm called the PGA Tour Enterprises. Since then, the PGA Tour has been slowly trying to i'd say, recalibrate itself, to get on the right track, to evolve, to fill in some of the holes that maybe live golf exposed.
Speaker 3: What were some of the holes that live golf exposed, Because golf had a bit of a renaissance during the pandemic. Up until that point, a lot of people criticize it for being hard, elitist, expensive, but then golf like found itself during the pandemic.
Speaker 4: Well, I'd say that golf is very a traditionalist sport, and so with tradition, there's always tradition versus innovation. And so of course you had some people complaining about player of pay, you had people complaining about the tournament schedule. And so now we have a bunch of innovations that are happening in regards to the system of golfer. Is going to be a championship series and then a challenger series, and that's how the changes have come.
Speaker 5: What do you be doing here? I mean, the Master's is iconic and all that, but in terms of the entertainment TV streaming battle, are they going to be a huge bidding warm from where you said.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 4: I think we're a couple of years away from that. But media rights are of course a huge part of the sports business, and if you're not in the media rights business, then your sport probably isn't going to last very long. And the PGA Tour is still the dominant presence in golf. I think live. The threat of Live came from the Saudi's who had seemingly limitless pockets.
Speaker 2: Now that that is not.
Speaker 4: In existence anymore, the PGA Tours again once again the dominant franchise that I think broadcasters are going to be bidding up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Saudi Arabia pulling is funding from that other golf league. Thank you so much, Bloomberg Sior Business of Sports reporter Randall Williams joining us now, I'm pleased to say, is the CEO the new CEO of the PGA Tour, Brian roll up, Brian.
Speaker 2: Great to see you here. Great to see you.
Speaker 3: So we've just talked about how golf is for the traditionalists. A lot of people like to say it's the sport most like life because it's hard, but it's also kind of elitist and kind of expensive. Coming from the NFL, do you see those as features to be protected or barriers to growth that should be challenged.
Speaker 6: Well, I think any sport, professional sport that's worth its salt will always.
Speaker 2: Sort of challenge where it is.
Speaker 6: And I think there's one thing I learned at the NFL over two decades is you know, if you're not going forwards, you're going backwards in innovation matter.
Speaker 2: So when I first.
Speaker 6: Took the job, I was very clear that we're going to honor tradition, but we're not going.
Speaker 2: To be overly bound by it.
Speaker 6: And you look at some of the trends of the game of golf, well, as you say, maybe it has this reputation as elitist. If you look at the growth since COVID, participation in golf in this country has grown thirty nine percent since COVID. Now you don't have to play a sport to watch it on television, but sure helps.
Speaker 2: Half of that growth is under the age of twenty or thirty five, the.
Speaker 6: Average age of a professional tour telecast inclusive of the majors, is sixty six years old, So there is a disconnect between where the sport is going and what professional has been able to do. We are closing that gap in significant ways, and if you just close that gap to a minimum, you've got a bit of a rocket ship.
Speaker 3: You've talked about how Live Golf helped expose some of the weaknesses of the tour was the biggest lessons about the economics of professional golf. About the product itself.
Speaker 2: I think it's the product.
Speaker 6: I think, listen, there's something about the sports industry I don't understand. If you look at the history. Huge innovation usually doesn't happen without a crisis. It could be a labor dispute with a collective Borrodi agreement. Back in my old job, the USFL or the AFL NFL. When I looked at this opportunity, I just saw the AFL NFL, which essentially created a lot of systemic changes in professional football that started to accelerate the growth.
Speaker 2: I think we've had that moment here.
Speaker 6: So I think a lot of perhaps shortcomings in professional golf came with a little bit of competition where all Americans competition is a good thing.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 6: We've seen that and we're trying to build something that outlives all of us.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 5: What did you learn from Pete Rosell? I mean it was before your time. If we say Pete Rosell invented all of this really best practices as well. What is if you're the Pete Rosell of golf, what do you need to do to really jump start.
Speaker 2: It's a really good question. Pete Rosell.
Speaker 6: I think one thing he got I mean was he was thirty four years old when he took a job, and I don't think people realized that, but he he was the.
Speaker 2: First one who figured out media.
Speaker 6: I think when it came to so the modern media model that I think you see in the NFL that I was a part of, but then I think other sports have adopted, is if you get your media model right, you can build a sport. So when he started the NFL, we he started working in the NFL, it was probably the third most popular sport in the country, behind professional baseball and college football. But because of a reach model using network television, he built the sport and told the stories. And so I think that's one thing I've learned is how you know we're concentrated. How do you increase the reach of the PGA Tour and how do you tell more stories about the athlete to play it.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you got Ernie from l Twon in Pennsylvania coming up the course, lightening it up decades and decades decades ago. I was at Rochester in nineteen sixty eight when Lee Trevino turned your sport upside down. Who's your new Lee Trevino?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I think we have a lot of stars.
Speaker 6: I think there's a misconception about professional golf that a given competition or given tournament only matters if one or two golfers are in it. When you actually look at professional golf, the difference in winning a tournament and losing tournament is one stroke over four days.
Speaker 2: That type of.
Speaker 6: Competitive parody, it's that tight. The only other place I've seen that as in professional football. So the reality is is we have a collection of some pretty amazing golfers. Whether you take the established guys like scottis Shefflin, Rory McIlroy, or you look at the Coyven kid who's just coming out of Auburn and some of these younger guys who are just really performing well. I think we have an amazing roster of veterans and young guys who are really, really competitive.
Speaker 2: It's our job to actually showcase them better.
Speaker 3: Randa was talking to us about the PGA Tour Enterprises, this commercial arm. Of course, FIFA wanted to follow the tour's lead and spin off its own business and seek outside investors. That ended up failing. I'm curious to hear more about the pg tor Enterprises and the role of it in the PGA Tour overall. Is this something that the players feel and experience, this is something that the fans feel and experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the answers both of them will. I think the players experience it.
Speaker 6: Where what PGA Tour Enterprises has allowed us to do is to evolve the PGA Tour where most.
Speaker 2: Professional sports have gotten.
Speaker 6: We've actually capitalized it and turned it into a commercial business. And the strength of that commercial business funds innovation, it funds player persons and funds everything. I think the PGA Tour was locked in a bit of a legacy governance model. Now that the mission is clear, and now that we're capitalized, we can do that. So I think the players will feel it and that you look at the new competitive model that we've announced. There's healthy persons across the board, and they can actually earn equity in the tour. This is the only professional tour of scale that I can think of. Players can actually earn equity, which is a huge opportunity and also aligns investors, management and players like no other sport in the world. I think the fans will feel it be because of that commercial change to the tour. We have investment dollars to make the fan experience better, to make the competitive product better, to make the media product better. So I think that is and I think it's one thing that came out of this, this this live competition of crisis, is we got focused, we got capitalized. Now we know what the mission is and I think fans and players are going to win.
Speaker 5: Because what are you personally to do about slow play? There's no other mean, Meredith Whitney was just done with us and she's stand on the golf course lining up a five foot putt for twenty minutes. Yeah, and the answer is slow. I mean the retires, we do personal finance, retirement, wealth management. Everybody in retirement wants to play your sport four days a week, but they can't because a stupid slow play.
Speaker 2: What do you do well?
Speaker 6: I don't stay up at night worrying about slow play among amateurs at their country club.
Speaker 2: I actually don't think about that.
Speaker 6: I only when I think about the PGA Tour professional golf. I think it depends when we're talking about who you're talking to when you talk about slow play on a Thursday or Friday round before the cut, when we have one hundred and forty four players and it's early in the year and we're racing against daylight. To keep this on television, we need to speak fascinating when you're talking about a Sunday round or a playoff and someone's taken extra un out of your line up a shot because it's the shot of their life that's different. So I think context matters here. I also think it's about how we produce the sport. So if you're watching on television and somebody is actually standing over a putt a little longer, there's a thousand other shots going on on the golf course. It's our job, and our broadcast partners produce it better. I come from the NFL, where we produce the Red zone channel, the red zone channel moved around. The fact of the matter is is half the time when you go in to look at a Cleveland game.
Speaker 2: It's not live. It already happened. Roll it back.
Speaker 6: I think we can produce it better and actually tell a better story. So it's a complex issue. But I'm not really focused on your local club. That's the local club's problem. I'm really focused on the PGA Tour.
Speaker 3: Can you do a red zone version of the PGA Tour?
Speaker 6: I think I think we're talking about a lot of innovation, but if you think about how golf is produced already, it is a little bit of red zone.
Speaker 2: Here Scarlett on the eighteenth Green, let's take a look. Let's go over here, ask do you need a hydration break?
Speaker 5: I mean, please tell me. I mean it's the ninth hole of hydration break was a Jenny kream.
Speaker 2: Alb that's the story here.
Speaker 5: What are you going to do about a hydration break to bring in a marginal million?
Speaker 2: Well, no comment on that. I'll ask the FIFA guys on that. I don't have a view on that. Well.
Speaker 3: Having said that, I mean, I'm sure you watch the World Cup. Are there any learnings from the World Cup, the spectacle that was the World Cup that you can apply to pro golf.
Speaker 6: I just think in general, I think the World Cup, or what we're doing, whether sports are doing, it's a reminder that the value of sports is increasing in a world that is continually fragmented, whether it's by media so much competition for your attention. There's a handful of things that are standing out that can aggregate tens of millions of people at one time doing one thing, and I think it's sports and maybe some news. So I think that is encouraging. If you're in the sports business now, you know, it doesn't mean you can rest on your laurels. It means you need to innovate and keep up with the chaming demographics of the sports fan. But I think if the World Cup or anything has taught us is that sports is a pretty strong investment class.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, when you innovate, especially when it comes to media distribution. You guess the point where fans are left confused. We have a Bloomberg New story about how sports fans are looking at two thousand dollars streaming bills in order to follow their favorite team. Has it gone too far to the point where fans will start rebelling and it won't work anymore, and we have to kind of rethink this.
Speaker 6: Well, if fans are rebelling in sports, we haven't seen it yet. But I think the larger question is, while I'm a big believer that in order to build a sport and the value proposition of sports and media is reach, how many people can you reach? How can you aggregate audience? That is still true. Pete Rosell got that right, That is still the case. The difference is reach is much more complicated because of where the media world is.
Speaker 5: I got to slip this in. You have a gift used to get Florida State. I think he's fourteen. I don't think you can drive a car, Miles Russell. Okay, what do you do with the property? Like Miles Russell who's fifteen, I think fifteen to sixteen years old.
Speaker 6: Well, I think what you're going to see is when we announce our new competitive model, which if you study what we've done as we've opened up the meritocracy of the PGA Tour. We've created a championship series which is the top twenty three events or so, where the top one hundred and twenty golfers are going to compete together weekend and week out. They can't play down into the Challenger Series, which is for everybody else. They will compete for a regular season title that will be the most precious, prestigious thing in golf. They'll also be promotion relegation, so at the end of that you're going to be relegated down. My point is we've opened up the meritocracy, so if he's that good, we have now created a system where he will work his way in to be into the top. No more sponsor exemptions, no one of the stuff that hid in the meritocracy. Where you play is based on how you earned it in the play, so I think.
Speaker 2: That's important, Brian.
Speaker 3: At some point Lebron James will have a lot of free time, and we know that he's been playing a lot of golf and he is an investor in PJ Tour enterprises. Have you talked to mister James about some kind of role for him in professional golf. I don't know, some kind of ambassadorial role.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't, but I think Lebron James is an example of the growth of the sport. Like when people get the bug, they get the bug and and it's a great competitive sport to play but also to watch, and so we love.
Speaker 2: Lebron to be more involved.
Speaker 6: We love everyone to be more involved, and I think you're going to see more of that over time.
Speaker 3: Brian, thank you so much for your time today. Thank you great to have you in with us. Brian roll up, the new CEO of the PGA Tour.
Speaker 5: Should you see Lebron in the sandtrap and nobody else had seen the tea and he's just looking right.
Speaker 6: Over it and those deep bunkers on the links course, and see what's goods an advantage?
Speaker 3: It's very cool to say that would make a very interesting bread Zone version of PJ Tour if you put that all together.