Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live.
Speaker 1: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six sect ted pat touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's so Wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 1: Texas in the SWBC studios.
Speaker 5: It is now week fifteen of the NFL season as the Cowboys get ready to take on the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 1: Coming up on Sunday at noon.
Speaker 5: Will at Patrick No see Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand Back with Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's whole cast and crew ready for you today to rock Isaiah, I thought.
Speaker 1: You were back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: A lot of rock.
Speaker 7: Long Yeah, you know, Kyle's in and out man.
Speaker 1: One day trip maybe one day trip thisay. Next time I saw your day in the life on your story, it was nice.
Speaker 7: Try to do that from time to time.
Speaker 4: You know, just how your chase checks bro boy man listen, y'all three all three got salary.
Speaker 7: I gotta get the contract, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm all about it, man, that's I love that you.
Speaker 7: No, it was a good time. Man.
Speaker 4: I wish I could have stayed and watched the game in person, but you know, duty call, so I was able to do the pregame show to carry my responsibilities with the cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hopped on.
Speaker 4: The plane went down and it was a short night. It was a very short night. But got up and did TV and now I'm back with.
Speaker 7: My fellows there.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to watch this, man, I did.
Speaker 7: I watched all of it, watched every every minute you.
Speaker 1: Watch it on the plane, got that Wi Fi and almost.
Speaker 4: Almost took out a couple of flight attendants because my body language at the time. I had the bones, fossil you know, arms out, hands overhead, I had all that stuff going on, and I definitely almost hit the person that was sitting next to me who was sleep sound asleep. And yeah, I had all the stuff, all this stuff I was I was watching it, Yeah, all the things like legit, if there was a hidden camera on me, I wish there was because you guys would have seen like.
Speaker 7: I was doing all of it on the plane.
Speaker 1: Were you in? Were you and coach? Were you in first class?
Speaker 7: They take care of me. Okay, I did not pay.
Speaker 1: It was a gift for those that don't remember. We've got history when it comes to that.
Speaker 8: That's why they caught Isaiah first first class stand back. So he's not a stand by.
Speaker 1: You're not a stand by. First on first off.
Speaker 5: Jones Es leg room stand back. So what did you think of the Special team's miss cue?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just that's not I mean, that's, first of all, amazing call by bones fossil yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, we talked about that amazing execution.
Speaker 4: By the blocking portion that the guys that are on the line of scream issues and responsible for creating the mismatches and a confusion a Nick Vigil doing a great job of getting both hands down, getting it, getting it blocked, avoiding the kicker, avoiding the punter in the process. As a straight veteran, you don't see that out of young guys a lot of times. And then you just have to be smart. You just have to be smart. I don't like pointing out guys, but these are conversations that you have if anybody who's questioning Bones Fossil's decision. If anybody's questioning you know whether or not Bones Fossil teaches his guys. Every person who is a specialist understands that once you block a punt, unless that thing is bouncing right in front of you and you are on the opposing side, right by the punter and you can pick it.
Speaker 7: Up and scoop and score, you get the heck away. It's called Peter Peter.
Speaker 4: I don't know whether where originated, but as soon as you hear that, soon as you hear that, you look around you find the ball.
Speaker 7: It is Peter, Peter, Peter, Peter, get the heck away.
Speaker 4: Run to the dog dog on second level of AT and T Stadium, Go sit down next to somebody, grab a little bit the popcorn, take a little sippy sip, and watch the ball come to a halt, and then watch your offense go back out there and get the ball and go win the ball game. That's how you go about your business. So it was great up until that point. And it's unfortunate because instinctively, instinctively, you want to be the one to grab the ball and go do something with it. That's instinct. That's just your competitive nature. Now, So I don't fault anybody for instinctively wanting to go make a play. The logic has to kick in correct.
Speaker 7: The coaching has to coaching has to come in.
Speaker 4: There has to be the little bones fossil sitting on your shoulder, throwing his arms up in the air, saying, Peter, Peter, Peter, get the heck away, because it's literally natural for you to go to the ball. But you will see it, you guys, go look at all the punts, all the blocks from this year, and I guarantee you you will see people in distinctually go to the ball and then they pulled back. Yeah, it's natural. So I'm not faulting the natural instinct. I am faulting the disregard of the coach, coaching wise element that should have been coming through your head at that point in time to get the heck away.
Speaker 7: And because of that, it's.
Speaker 4: Unfortunate, but that particular play ended up being a thing that lost you the game. And there was accumulation of other plays that could have taken place throughout the game. Could have done things better, could have executed better, could have had less penalties, all the things that contribute to a loss, but in that moment, that was too big of a moment.
Speaker 7: To not be fully aware of what the severity of that situation was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And we talked a little bit about it yesterday about Emonio will Warria and his Yeah, what his thought process was going into it. And one of our callers yesterday talking Tuesday, said that he felt.
Speaker 1: Like it was a selfish move.
Speaker 5: I don't think he used the word selfish, but he said it was a move where it's like you can't be the hero in that moment and try and take it and do something. He was falling on top of the ball, in my opinion, So I think it's more so what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: It's instinct. It's sea ball, get ball, let me recover it. He's not thinking I'm going to pick this up and go take it.
Speaker 4: This is not the first time we've seen it, Yeah, And I want people to remember and remember that. And it's the first time you've seen it in special teams. How many times have we seen o Liman this year try.
Speaker 7: To pick the ball up?
Speaker 4: Yet it's twice right playing hero ball. He's still in guiding right both of them.
Speaker 7: This year.
Speaker 4: People forget this right, let me help you guys recollect. Okay, those guys are instinctually you're supposed to fall on the ball.
Speaker 7: Up, I take that back.
Speaker 4: Instinctally they want to get the get the run, right, Logically, they're supposed to fall on the ball.
Speaker 7: Remember who you are, Remember what your position is.
Speaker 1: Fall on the ball.
Speaker 7: The probability of you scooping and scoring is probably very low. So fall on the ball. But we've seen instincts say.
Speaker 1: What get the ball and run.
Speaker 8: I mean, look at just a couple of weeks ago in Washington, one Y Thomas. He picks up that that onside kick and takes the coach for such.
Speaker 7: In that moment, you fall on and you fall on the ball, situation instinct says I'm going to make a play. Yeah, right, and.
Speaker 1: You're not.
Speaker 4: You don't think about all the you don't think about all the what ifs, right, because understand this, And that's why I said I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to come out too hard on him because he knows right, trust me, he's beating the crap out of himself right now. Mentally, if anything, he needs support at this time the game is yeah, I'm yeah, yeah, trust me stepping in front of it.
Speaker 1: And yeah.
Speaker 4: The thing is people need to understand when you are the one responsible for losing the game for your team, you need all the support in the world because you people aren't talking to you.
Speaker 7: You can feel the energy.
Speaker 4: You already know, right you're running through that same play thousands of times in your head.
Speaker 7: What I should have done differently, what could have done better?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 4: Why did I do that? I don't trust me. He is beating himself up, so we don't need to beat him up, but we need. But they're the coaching element needs to be continually ran over because I know it's been communicated, right, I know it's been communicated.
Speaker 7: And for that to have happened at that moment just is just really unfortunate.
Speaker 1: You don't react that way as a team.
Speaker 5: I mean the sideline reacting the way that they did, the Nick vigil from.
Speaker 1: Halfway across the field with his hands over his head. You don't react that way if it had not been communicated.
Speaker 5: If if and that's where a lot of people might say, well, why didn't they coach them up better?
Speaker 1: They did? These guys know the fundamentals of all of that.
Speaker 4: Can I give you an example, a really quick example. So we were playing I think it was a Monday night game maybe against Philadelphia back in the day, and I was a kick returner and it was at the time it was myself and it was Jones, Felix Jones goes back to returning kicks, and they didn't want to kick me the ball. I had had maybe a handful of good returns leading up to that game. So we ended up doing this thing where we were interchange and we would switch right based upon the approach of David Akers.
Speaker 7: Trying to try to force their hands.
Speaker 4: So David I ended up declaring myself and David Ackers kicked me a knuckleball, a freaking knuckle Now this thing is coming at you, you know, sixty yards away, and it's freaking going like this, right, anybody ever seen a knuckleball before. It's kind of crazy. He made it happen with a football. So the ball's coming at me right, I step outside of the en zone. I come to the ball and it dives out it literally right out right, as right as I were grabbing it, freaking curve broke. It was nasty twelve six, freaking nasty six. So it hits my hand and goes in the end zone. Instinctually, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Pick up?
Speaker 7: Picking up? I touched the ball. I touched the ball outside the end zone. It's hot, it's hot. I gotta get it, right, I gotta get it. I gotta get it.
Speaker 4: I gotta hurry up. I go back in the zone, grab the ball. I gotta come out. I gotta try to make something happen. Logically, right, I didn't understand this at the time. Right, coach had went over it back in training camp. Right, But logically I should have taken the knee because the momentum of the ball carried into the end zone. But instinctively, I went back, grabbed the ball, and I came back out in I got tackled, like on the two yard line. Next play, Tony Romo gets stripped sack for a touchdown. M butterfly fit. I was beating the craw out of myself. I was beating myself down, right, because I was the one responsible for that. Right, But instincts kicked in and all logic went out the window because you go into panic mode, right, right you went.
Speaker 7: I went to panic mode.
Speaker 4: I'm like, so to this day, I run this play over and over and over, so understand what he's going through.
Speaker 7: And I feel him, right, I feel him.
Speaker 4: It's it's just one of those things and you just hope that when you have those moments that they don't have these.
Speaker 7: Results, and unfortunately this decision did.
Speaker 5: Now that's a great example, really is, and there are very few people that understand it the way that people would if you've gone through that, you're.
Speaker 10: Talking about it all these years later.
Speaker 7: Yeah, imagine what year this bro, That was my second year in the league. Old at and T Stadium, I mean.
Speaker 4: Texas Texas Stadium. You know, the roof open at all time. I mean it's bro and I mean that was a big time. Philly was in town. I mean it was you know, it was old school Philly. Brian Dawkins Philly all said it was Monday night too.
Speaker 7: I think it was Monday night games. I mean everybody their mom was watching Monday night. Sunday night was one of the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was crazy, very similar, very similar.
Speaker 4: And as a return touchdown, everybody's watching who you there was nowhere else for anybody to look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and the ball. Yeah that's it man. That Yeah, that's tough.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we talked about it, coaching moments, learning moments. You can't reverse it. You can't You're going to replay it forever, but you can't change it, and you kind.
Speaker 8: Of have to give it up for AO in earlier moments this season. I mean, he was the one to ice the Giants win for us when he picked off Daniel Jones in the last in the final seconds of the game. He's had some really good plays. It's not like this guys is not worth playing on the field.
Speaker 5: It was on the same wavelength, at least for me as a guy like Josh Butler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was Josh Butler this season before Josh Butler then became Josh correct.
Speaker 1: Correct, So didn't anticipate it. You pick him up off of the street as a free agent.
Speaker 5: He comes in and contributes, and that's all you ask out of those guys like that. And he's making an effort play, trying to do what he can. But like you said, I think it's the battle between logic and instincts. That's what you just outlined, and in this point, instincts won out. He's trying to see ball, getball, hop on top of it, secure possession because he doesn't know what happened outside of that, you gotta be you gotta be better about it.
Speaker 1: And that's that's the only thing you can learn.
Speaker 7: That's called football.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 4: The highest of the highs, the lowest of the lowes, and you see it, and you see it often. Obviously it's not always as highlighted as much as this one was. But we see holding calls all the timers like, come on, man, you gotta let him go. Well, the dog and me says no, run this dude into the ground. The logic says, hey, once he gets leverage on me, I gotta let him go, right. So, I mean, you see it all the time. It just doesn't get as much attention as it One of the main things is and you can attest to this, Isaiah, definitely as a form of pro player, being a professional NFL or being a professional, because that's done it being a professional player in any sport, but we're talking about the NFL. You have to balance the preparation and the code that's been instilled in you versus your fight or flight in the moment. And that's all it ever is when any given and that's what.
Speaker 7: Holding call is.
Speaker 4: It's mono versus you know, man, man versus man, you want to beat me, I don't want to beat you.
Speaker 7: So in that phone booth, letting you go in that phone booth.
Speaker 4: You know there's a play going on, but it's you versus this guy, and it might result in a holding call.
Speaker 7: You might get a little too aggressive, you might go full block off. Man, I'm not going to concede that you beat me in the middle of So those types of situations, it's situational for yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: That is when it's most important, which is why some coaches and again I don't know what happens on that side of the building, but I know it. Bones foss was one of the most respected coaches in the league. And I think even if I was reading up, mister Jones even went in there and questioned bones.
Speaker 1: Fossils what was the play to me?
Speaker 4: And he came. When I came back around, I was like, I don't fault him. Great execution, All the stuff is right. That's why some just spends so much time on situational football. And I go back to a lot of times people hate it. Yeah, I know people hate when I go back and talk about my time in New England, but that was the time where where there was an emphasis on situational football. We spent hours every day walking through situational football. Coach Belichick will bring up situations from the Dog on seventies film out that there was a literal film, you know what I'm saying, not digital but actual film, and we would go over here and back in this game. You know, this was the situation, and this we're going to go over in practice today because when those moments present themselves, that's the first thing that comes in your head. Ah right, and it tries it. And they do that to try to limit the instinctual response because you're a competitor. You are a competitor, and the coaches understand that as a competitor, it is naturally and ordainly in you to react the way that has made you a professional. So I have to have to literally teach you so much situational ball that it overthrows your instincts which.
Speaker 7: Have made you a professional athlete.
Speaker 5: That's extremely insightful from the future coach of the University of North Carolina, Tar Hills.
Speaker 7: And his son.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's get into some news and notes quickly before we get into some other previews this week.
Speaker 4: Indeed, so We're still waiting to hear an update on Cooper BB as far as the concussion is concerned. But like I said yesterday, short week going into Carolina, I personally am not penciling him in for this game. I think the starting lineup, we'll see what left tackle looks like with Tyler Gotton, but Tyler Guyton Slash, Chumdidoga and then Tyler Smith brought Hoffman, TJ. Bass and Terrence Teel. I think that's give or take your starting five or six rotation there. We'll see if he can clear protocol in time, but I'm not confident that he can. And Overshown, we got the confirmation after yesterday's episode that Overshown.
Speaker 7: Has torn a c l M c l P CL.
Speaker 4: So that's that's the devastating news is that he will as we expected, he's gonna have to have surgery. Yep, his season is over, but there is a solid likelihood that we may not see him on the field next year, next season or next year because calendar year twenty twenty shot.
Speaker 7: Maybe Cowboys make a playoff run of some sort.
Speaker 4: When you see him in January of twenty twenty six, which is still technically next season, but it's a long journey.
Speaker 7: Don't pencil him in for that. Just let him get his knee together. Heel up.
Speaker 4: Now that's the bad news. That's dark cloud over twenty twenty five for him. Before you go on like prayer, I was gonna keep to him, Go ahead. I'm sorry. Sorry, prayers up to demo. And if anybody questions how tough some of these dudes are, this dude got.
Speaker 7: Up and it was assisted, but walked off the field.
Speaker 4: It's preseason torn ACL walked walked off, walked off.
Speaker 5: It was a torn ACL and MCL last year in his left knick, Yeah, that was left and then this is PCLC and the right knee.
Speaker 1: So this is a worst This is the trifecta. Yeah, this is the worst injury he's had throughout his career.
Speaker 4: However, opposite need And yet I know I was gonna say, and yet it's not the worst case scenario.
Speaker 7: Meniscus, no miniscus damage, it's good. No nerve damage, that's good.
Speaker 1: So it's really good.
Speaker 4: With no nerve damage, this is much less. I know a lot of fans were wondering if this is career threatening With no nerve damage.
Speaker 7: He'll be back he's a dog. He'll be back. And I was citing this reference yesterday on Twitter, Nick Chubb.
Speaker 4: Okay, Nick Chubb, and people like, well, Nick Chubb doesn't look like the prime Nick Chubb.
Speaker 7: But first of all, he's only been back on the right, So there's that. But keep in mind.
Speaker 4: Who's giving you the reference, right, So Uga, I'm a Georgia guy everybody knows in fit say that because in twenty fifteen, where was Nick Chubb? He was in Athens with my dogs. Twenty fifteen he suffered his first devastating the injury. Questions about what he be able to get back to peak form at the NFL level, Should people use a high pick on him, whatever the case may be, Cleveland rounds, he was a high pig. Guess what they get? They get an all pro player. He turns all Pro after that devastating the injury. So I say that to say for that to a guy like the Mario and Overshown, who much like Nick Chubb we're talking about. Certain guys are just different physically, right. I am one hundred percent confident that, barring some type of horrendous set back knock on wood, that it doesn't happen Marion Overshown will be back in a Cowboys uniform. I believe that he will get back to peak peak form. Give him a little bit of grace when he gets back as far as timeline is.
Speaker 7: Concerned, but he'll be back.
Speaker 4: His mental fortitude is unmatched, his faith is rock solid, and as far as work ethic is concerned, you're hard pressed to find a guy who will attack this rehab as hard as he will. So some obviously bad news, but good news. No nerve damage, no miniscus damage. He just needs to get the three ligaments repaired surgically and get to work, and he will and he will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good news. There any other news and notes.
Speaker 7: Cooper Rush is going to start again.
Speaker 4: He's been officially named the starter against the Carolina Panthers, and honestly, in listening to Mike McCarthy and listening to Jerry Jones on one A five three of the Fan, it doesn't sound like the Cowboys are going to play the Tree Lance card at starter until slash unless they're mathematically eliminated, so Panthers might do him a favor.
Speaker 7: We will see.
Speaker 4: Just reminder, both Cooper Rush and Trey Lance around the last year their contract that they're both free agents, and Trey Lance is actually a higher cap hit this year, he's being paid more than Yeah's pay. He's being paid the same amounts Coop Rushes the entire contract. That's correct, million, just over five point just over rushes two year contract is what Trey Lance's receiving salary this year. Yeah, you also didn't give up a pick to a choir coople Rush, which is even more questioning as there myself.
Speaker 1: Panthers, the Panthers, the Panthers a Wednesday.
Speaker 5: So we're gonna preview the Cowboys defense in their matchup with Bryce Young.
Speaker 1: And the Panthers when we come back with more talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 9: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and.
Speaker 7: Pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 9: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black Rifle coffee. Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles perall.
Speaker 3: But the good news is Todd has at and T five G.
Speaker 12: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew and fast reliable.
Speaker 3: Secure five G.
Speaker 2: Requires compatbale plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dy deals.
Speaker 5: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack black dot com slash Cowboys.
Speaker 9: With the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 13: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan and friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 10: The wins will be even tastier.
Speaker 7: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 10: I said, ah, your oats on the Internet using the code in the corner. Q are the quake ar code in the corner.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: We're back, baby.
Speaker 7: I just had mine, did yours?
Speaker 5: I did not this morning? No, I did not this morning. I know I'm missing out. I had him yesterday, though, had him yesterday, Kyle, I know, hilarious.
Speaker 1: I know, just a just a busy guy, all right.
Speaker 5: Cowboys defensive preview against Bryce Young in the Carolina.
Speaker 1: Panthers Not as easy as people think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Josh, when you look at this matchup, I know you watch the film and you're looking at Bryce Young, who all of a sudden looks like a capable franchise quarterback.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 5: And then you've got some weapons around him that are playing pretty decent after being banged up at different.
Speaker 7: Points this year.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, well, you look at last week and they almost they almost got him. Man, they almost got the Philadelphia They will call you almost. I know, I know they almost got a Bryce Young. He ranks fourth in red zone past percentage. Do you guys know that that's pretty darn good for a team that started very terribly this week?
Speaker 7: At fourth.
Speaker 8: Guy who was benched out of thirty two he drinks fourth? And uh, do you guys know that the Dallas defense is ranked last and red zone touchdown percentage?
Speaker 1: I don't like what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Not good for us.
Speaker 10: However, however, guys, they got a running back. His name is Chuba Hubbard. How about this dude is also.
Speaker 7: Very very good.
Speaker 1: He's almos He's a former cowboy, Homa State cow State cowboy. What are you talking? I just what do you want? Everybody that's lessening probably was like you idiots.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean I only consider him good if he had a thousand yards.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he does have a thousand yards.
Speaker 8: He was on fifteen attempts, eight touchdowns. Already, great vision, his patient, he finished runs. He's a north and south guy.
Speaker 1: With deceptive speed.
Speaker 10: Dude, I am not looking forward to seeing too.
Speaker 7: But they lost his backup though they didn't really back up.
Speaker 10: But this guy can carry the rock and he can carry it a lot.
Speaker 7: So here's where I am on that.
Speaker 4: So first of all, yes, it goes without saying to you with Hubbard, he can, he can make some waves. When the Cowboys went to Bank of America Stadium last year and they started kind of playing with their food food so to speak, and that Cowboys team you.
Speaker 7: Could use that term onre not this Cowboys now different.
Speaker 4: They were playing with their food and they found out, they almost found out the hard way like you don't do that. Yeah, yeah, I almost went there, faf f afo, faffel tube. Hubbard was actually, you know, tearing off some some yardage against him last year. So they're familiar with what hubbrid can do.
Speaker 10: And it's our defense is as good as they were last year.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 4: No, But but I will say this, which great segue. The run defense has definitely taken steps forward.
Speaker 1: It has taken steps in the right.
Speaker 4: They shut down the rushing attack completely of the Cincinnati Bengals. And I know people say, well, you know, the Bengals they wanted to kind of throw the ball, not as much as the Cowboys were forcing them to throw the ball. Over the course of the first three and a half quarters, they really put the Bengals in a bind and made them one dimensional. But then the problem once they made them one dimensional, and Kyle will not because we talked about this, Isaiah, we talked about this, Josh, we talked about this.
Speaker 7: It was more than.
Speaker 4: Simply pressuring Joe Burrow and knocking him off the spot, because he can reset. You needed to get hands on him and take him down. So the run defense was there, the pressure was there. They just couldn't get the sacks. I say that to say this run defense might actually be I just I just remember Demo was going so the run defense prior to losing the Marveyonovshow, I could argue was better than last year's run defense, whereas the secondary play was better last year than this year. But now that it just hit me again that Demo's out on the field, now you're gonna have some real questions about you know, is that run defense is going to take a step back or now.
Speaker 8: But I think in the later half of the last game you did see enough from the mad to give you a chance in that aspect.
Speaker 1: Not He's not Demo.
Speaker 8: There's no other player on this defense than is Demo. But I think you have a chance, like you said, to continue the progress that the run defenses have so far this season over the last second half of the.
Speaker 4: Day, they're gonna have to play Demon. They're going to have to play But it can't be he's being scratched for. Yeah, anyways, the Damon last time he was on the field, he was impactful.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was impactful. So yes, you're gonna miss Demo.
Speaker 5: Only he has a ton of experience too. Now at this point in his career. He has a bunch of snaps for this early on. So yeah, I feel confident with the mont Clark step again, is he de marve and over nobody?
Speaker 7: Nobody?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 5: And And I think you're right, Marius leaf Out is that guy who's gonna have to step up in that?
Speaker 10: And he was giving you a lot. I mean he sacked Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: My person did not.
Speaker 4: He's at critical junction. He's said he did that. That would have helped give you that game if what happened after didn't happen.
Speaker 8: If there's any silver lining to the demo injury, it is the fact that you're going to see on the field more and he will have the chances.
Speaker 7: He will have those chances. Who is the most dangerous weapon on this on the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 5: Offense outside of Young or including including outside of right now right now, I think it's Bryce Young, But I would throw at him Feeling into the mix too.
Speaker 1: He was really good last week. Yeah, yeah, he was. He was big last week.
Speaker 5: He was part of the reason why they gave Philadelphia fits. Philadelphia couldn't cover him.
Speaker 4: I'm going I'm gonna go with Bryce because if Bryce is confidence isn't where it is right now, then feeling is not effect agreed completely.
Speaker 1: I'm starting Cuba.
Speaker 7: You're going Tuba. I'm going Tuba. I'm going with David knalism.
Speaker 1: Old the coach a little little coaching A yeah, well curveball.
Speaker 7: Yeah he's a dude. Yeah he's a dude.
Speaker 1: I know first, he like his scheme.
Speaker 4: He was my assistant coach when I was in a Seattle briefly, and I worked with him thoroughly.
Speaker 5: I worked with him every very adamant when before he was he was ever going all the way back to before the off season happened and Isaiah was looking at these guys that are possible coaching candidates. He said, wherever Canalis ends up? Forgot about this entirely. You said it was going to be a huge thing. And what you said you needed a running back and you needed a young.
Speaker 1: Quarterback to coach up sipts. Well, there you go. You got two guys.
Speaker 7: He's got freaking dude.
Speaker 4: You will talking about somebody who was passionate almost as good as what he does.
Speaker 7: My world traveling helped me out. I was like, you're gonna go here, here, here, here's gonna be off later.
Speaker 4: David Kanalis is uh a student of the game, like a genuine student in a game.
Speaker 7: He loves the.
Speaker 4: Game of football. He he every aspect of it. He likes creating concepts. He's just he's a dog. And when I'm watching the film with the Panthers, i can't help I know what's about to play the Cowboys, but I can't help but smile and just laugh because I'm like, these concepts.
Speaker 7: That he's creating are absolutely insane.
Speaker 4: And once Bryce Young is throwing the ball on time, and once he has receivers that can make plays all, give me the example.
Speaker 1: Give me an example of one of these concepts.
Speaker 8: Look at how openly get was in that that touchdown a lot of guys would be touchdown, would be game winning touchdown. Right, Yeah, look at that play design and tell me that. I mean, like you said, the evidence is there.
Speaker 1: You need a savior.
Speaker 4: Look at of the draft to every almost every play play almost every First of all, there's a lot of motion, right, so there's a lot of coverage declarations, deck declarers, a lot of coverage declarations, right, so they make you declare what your coverage is via motion. That's the first thing that he does so as you guys go back and watch film of Carolina. Look how often guys are in motion. Look at the guys that are in motion. Right, Look exactly how the defense has to adjust and the information that that conveys to Bryce Young right, I don't care, young quarterback, old quarterback. It gives you a ton of information when you start sending guys in motion, the leverage that they were able to create by going in these motions.
Speaker 7: Right, where are these guys going?
Speaker 4: Are they inserting or are they going outside of the receivers that are lined up in the slot. And then typically there's always gonna be somebody at all three levels. These are not routes that are called. These aren't concepts that are that are called simply because okay, we need to get seven yards. Like they have somebody for seven yards, they have somebody for fourteen yards. They have somebody for the home run shot. Almost on every play, you can go back and look and see there is a home run shot on almost every one, and he has it literally layered.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's a dog on seven seven up, three layer clack, all right, it's just you watch it.
Speaker 4: It's like crap, he got wheel routes on almost everything. He has deep posts and deep and goals on almost everything. It's pretty dog on sick because as a defense, you can't relax, you can't get focused, you can't get so enamored by the down and distance that you're playing downhill because somebody will literally sneak out of your air peripheral and be open for a touchdown potential touchdown.
Speaker 7: Like you just saw what you just talked about. So when you watch film, just just look at it.
Speaker 4: Just instead of zooming in on where the ball goes, zoom out and look at where it could have went, and you will open your eyes and you'll be like, oh crap. One thing that I noticed when I was watching the Less several games with Bryce Young at the helm, not when the red rifle was in, but I would I expect it going in that, considering how impactful to be Hubbard is and the fact you just gave him a new contract and everything, that they would play more off of him as far as the play action in the passing game. But I noticed on film there was not a ton of play actions. So I'm like, Okay, maybe this is receiver at all. Yeah, I was like, maybe this is an aberration for this game that I'm watching. But then I went and I looked at shouts out to next Gen stats, and the numbers bear out what the film was hinting at. So surprisingly enough, the Carolina Panthers and David Canalis, they only run play action twenty one ish percent of the time on his dropbacks as far, so that's something that the Cowboys won't have to account for. But what it tells me is that one of the reasons Canalis has been able to unlock Bryce Young for the most part, he understands he's a young quarterback and one of Bryce Young's biggest issues when he first came into the league and as a rookie, was he wasn't processing quickly enough right. So when you take the play action out of the equation, it allows your young quarterback to get right into his reads immediately. As opposed to play action, you turn around and now you're worried about pressure coming. So there's not going to be a lot of play action. Well, I should say they're they trend to not want to run a lot of play actions seventy two percent of the time. They just give him a straight dropback. Cowboys will have opportunities to get pressure on him. And if they do that and they can get to him and knock him off the spot. This isn't Joe Burrow. If you're not Young off the spot, you just won that rep, right, so do it. That's that's that works in the Cowboys favor. But it's interesting to me, but it does go to what Isaiah's saying as far as explaining why Bryce Young is starting to do better, because again Canal is he's looking at his young quarterback who had trouble with going to get into his reas quickly, and he took the play action out of the equation for the most part.
Speaker 7: And a.
Speaker 5: Break to the offensive line doesn't have to set up for as long, they don't have to hold their blocks for as long.
Speaker 1: And the whole play design.
Speaker 5: Is based off of these levels that Isaiah's talking about. And I mean, I'm looking at one the game winning play. I went back and looked at it just like play concept wise, there wasn't any motion there like no motion on this play. It was all set and it was really it's just levels, that's all it is. You have to get wide open he beat Uh who is this brad Berry on the outside. There was no safety help over the top because the safety was worried about Fling on the opposite side. And then there was a guy in the middle of the of the the hash marks, and then there was a guy right at the line of scrimmage on kind of a drag route over the middle. So levels, levels, levels, and you have to sort through it perfectly or else something like that happens. And that was a hell of a throw from Bryce Young, by.
Speaker 8: The way, And to Kyle's point about feeling, I mean, I think Canalis loves the fact of having a guy like Fling who exactly he's versatile, he can do anything.
Speaker 7: On the field receiver.
Speaker 1: However, this week he.
Speaker 10: Has to go up against Jordan Lewis, and I like that.
Speaker 8: I like that, I like exactly that man, because that's a guy similar in size. I'm pretty sure that can eliminate Adam Theelin from doing all of the different compts and Oklahoma drills to speak.
Speaker 10: Oh, I mean, if we had Patrick out there, he can cover the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just by proxy, just because he because he would be Jordan Lewis in the Oklahoma drill.
Speaker 7: We spoke with Joran Lewis, did Josh, but Patrick's on I R.
Speaker 1: He can't play this. He's got three more games.
Speaker 7: Just so.
Speaker 1: We actually went up.
Speaker 7: To Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 4: Jordy Lewis did say, he said, of course he's a competitor. He's going to try to keep me ten out of ten. He's gonna try to knock me out ten out of ten. But he conceded that he may not win all ten straight.
Speaker 6: From that's Jordan Lewis trying to He looked at your arm and was like, yeah, you know, real quick, I know we gotta take another break.
Speaker 4: I want people to understand this is not the same Carolina Panthers from the first half and hours. No, okay, I know there's there's been a stigma and the whole storyline about the Carolina Panthers and blah blah blah. Listen since their bye week and week eleven. Okay, they faced the Kansas City Chiefs and Definny Champs. Right, they were back, if not for the power of saying back to Champs.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: Okay, lost by three, yep, almost took them to the white should have really should have won.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then they played the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Crap man how you could play Ken City. And then Tampa Bay lost by three.
Speaker 1: Tampa Bay with Mike Evans back by the way, Yeah, lost by three.
Speaker 7: Okay, if that's not bad enough.
Speaker 1: Then they played the Philadelphia Eagles and it almost took them.
Speaker 4: These are three playoff teams, right, yeah, oh yeah, and almost took them, right and lost by six.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So their last three games they have faced three they placed the defending champs, they face another team that's been in the conversation, right, then they face another team that might be in that conversation this year, and they've lost by a total of three six And say, what was that twelve points?
Speaker 7: Three games?
Speaker 8: They're playing well man.
Speaker 7: In their defenses.
Speaker 4: And we'll talk about this, but they have the defenses better than the Bengals defense and you could only muster twenty points against a historically bad drink.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it tomorrow though, and we'll talk about it with science. Yeah, that's more talking cowboys coming up.
Speaker 12: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 3: But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G.
Speaker 12: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 3: At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 2: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you forty deals.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Aggonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here, with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to at and T stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yettie dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and we're going to overtime Erica.
Speaker 7: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash ericaup by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica respondses to me. Very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored, quality assurance and mesage data rates and additional turns me apply, Thank America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: This segment of the show has brought to you by in Visi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Yes alongside Isaiah stand Back, Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us. Yet not the same Carolina Panthers team this time around, gentlemen, not quite and they've lost three straight. They're desperate to try and find their winning ways again. Cowboys are a little down.
Speaker 1: I think my it's tough. There's a lot of things you're gonna have to do right.
Speaker 5: But just my overarching thought process around this game is you cannot let the Bengals game beat you twice.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you saw, you saw exactly how that could play out. After the Amanio A Wario Special Teams Blunder and we talked about the drive afterwards and how easy it was for Cincinnati to drive down the field. That could very easily if you don't have their back on the practice field today, if you don't have a great week of preparation, great week week of practice and put all.
Speaker 1: That behind you.
Speaker 5: Carolina Panthers are going to beat you this week, playing and simple. You cannot let that game beat you twice. And it's going to be tough to do that. Even I hosted an event last night with Micah and talking with Micah and he's still beating himself up about it and himself and really he's one of the best motivators that you'll ever talk to. And he is all about the motivation and he's going to be right back after it again starting today. But yesterday it was just kind of a morning period. But you cannot let it pass over into today.
Speaker 1: Definitely not one.
Speaker 8: And if you don't think that the Carolin Carolina Panthers are motivated, you call.
Speaker 1: Them the Carolina the Caroliners that worked.
Speaker 8: We don't think they're motivated to beat the Dallas Cowboys this week. Just think back to last year where we beat them pretty soundly. But not only that, but we held a press conference right before the game in Carolina to announce that Jimmy Johnson is going.
Speaker 5: To be to TV time with the announcement press conference in Carolina.
Speaker 1: In Carolina, half of the press box was empty because of it.
Speaker 5: No we were we were here, I was we were here remember we were watching with Nates right in the back, and they they had the surprise.
Speaker 1: Announcement of the Jimmy Johnson thing.
Speaker 5: It completely hijacked the entire day, the whole day, sidelines, the game.
Speaker 1: Everything listen.
Speaker 4: As as a beat writer, let me tell you that was logistically a nightmare.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they remember, And they had beef with Nick Eatman too, by the way, behind the scenes storyline in Carolina, because he's about to go find that dude again, and they are not happy.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't be happy if.
Speaker 1: I were them.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be motivated to listen. Bryce Young is playing confident in good football. You Behoveard is doing his thing. You got leget, you got feeling. Canalis has those guys believing in themselves on both sides of the ball, and they're going to be at Bank of America Stadium. The Panthers crowd is starting to kind of buy in, starting to believe. They've been desperate to feel something good. And even in a down season that's just wrecked by adversity, every team would still look at it win over the Cowboys as a big deal, and the Panthers will look at if they can get this win against the Cowboys, they will use it as a big deal. So mentally, no, it's not the same as beating the Eagles if they would have last week, or the Bucks if they would have or the Kansas City Chiefs if they would have escaped with that win. But psychologically speaking, it's going to feel just as good for the Panthers to do it if they can do it. So if you're if you're the Cowboys, like Kyle said, especially on a short week, which makes it that much more difficult to turn the page from such an emotionally shattering loss like you had against the Bengals. Because you just said you had the one on one with Michael yesterday. Okay, well the Panthers game is right around the corner. It's right there, and Tuesday night Michael was still hurting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, so the.
Speaker 1: Player's day off, they haven't hit the field.
Speaker 11: It is that.
Speaker 4: But also with the I mean, I don't want to keep bringing up injury to Demo, but that takes that hurt, that hurts significant and it's called what it is. Some players have more impact on a lockerom than others. And he has a tremendous respect in his locker room. Yes, and understand. People understand not only his energy, they understand his his aura, right, his character, his resilience, his work ethic that he had to come back from last year's injury, and then the impact that he had and the attitude that he had and the swag and everything that he brought by being on the field this year. Just to have it taken away again, people feel that just it's very deflating and it's very hard to overcome as a locker room.
Speaker 5: Just to add to that point, if you were to name the five most impactful players leaders in the Cowboys locker room right now? Okay, so he's up there, who's the other guys out of those.
Speaker 1: Four and Zach Martin, Lawrence Michaeh, Well, okay, version, but there's five then right there.
Speaker 5: Four of those guys are out and have not returned yet. Of course d Laws on his way back. But four of those guys five, the only one is Micah and he missed significant time too. I mean, that's the type of season that it's been. Not to make excuses, but it still is. It's it's crazy the amount of injuries but have ravaged this locker room.
Speaker 8: But to your point, I mean, and this is poignant because last year, a lot of the conversation was as Micah Parsons a leader, You're going to see it in the last few games of the season because I mean, now.
Speaker 10: But now he has nobody else. You know, this is got CD on the other side. But it's like, this is your leader. This is a definitive leader on defense.
Speaker 7: This is the biggest test for him.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to just hand him the leadership badge in these last games because I truly think if you really want to know, I'm not questioning the mass charage. I'm just I'm just saying that I'm watching it have for those that have I'm watching. I'm watching to see how he handles the remainder.
Speaker 7: Of this season.
Speaker 4: Because even when I was on NFL Networks, you know, people were talking about, you know, Micah and how he was reacting. I'm like, no, no, no, you were getting playoff Micah. In that last game, that was playoff Mike. That was playoff Michael, because he which is why he walked off like that. That's why you saw his reaction like that, because he was doing literally everything that he could to impact that game. Because they knew that that was most like their last chance to make the playoffs. If they won that game, they were still in the picture. If they lost that game, pretty much out the picture. So you got every ounce and to and for that to not be enough, that's the reaction that you get. So now that your playoff hopes are pretty much gone, who are you?
Speaker 7: Who are you? To the locker room even more?
Speaker 4: And so now because of the fact that the other leaders are out the picture, Ye, you're the guy that's on thee.
Speaker 7: How are you now going to react?
Speaker 4: Are you going to just go out there and just kind of go through the motions or are you going to step up and demand excellent from everybody I'm watching?
Speaker 10: Yeah, gotta be ready to run through a wall.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I think that's a great point because, and I would argue you've already seen that a couple times. Like you said you saw playoff Micah last week, I think you've seen playoff Micah the last couple of weeks, going back before Thanksgiving and that game against Washington basically really the game against Washington ten was the first time I stepped up and said, Okay, that's the Micah we've been waiting to see, not just from a sack standpoint.
Speaker 7: And he's always had production and effort.
Speaker 1: He's always there.
Speaker 7: That was waterboy Michael last week, he was all over it.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you when it began for me. It began for me in training camp when I started to see how he was taking Mozzi Smith under his wing and challenging Mazzie Smith and even when the cameras weren't on and the mics weren't on, you would see he and Mozzie Smith running drills between practices and things like that, and him correcting Mazie like little things that the media is not paying attention to because you know, it wasn't during the media portion of practice whatever, and maybe I'm just out there and I'm just watching an ox or whatever.
Speaker 7: We're there, Yeah, we're there.
Speaker 4: So that's when it really started to kind of click in my head. I was like, wait a minute, I think this version of Micah that we're about to see in twenty twenty four is going to be different.
Speaker 7: And here we are fast forward to now.
Speaker 4: But like you said, that's when hope is on the here's the biggest test for Yeah, there's the biggest test.
Speaker 7: Now, here's the biggest teste because right now with who's on ir and who's not coming back? Right now? It's your team, it's what are you playing for? But there's nothing to play for? Who are you?
Speaker 4: And that's why I say this is the biggest test because when you have the potential of the playoffs and the potential is still getting a ring and all that stuff out there is different.
Speaker 7: It's different than when there's no home for any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, who are you? Right right now?
Speaker 7: Who are now?
Speaker 4: You got to get him to play for Pride and just to watch him because I mean it's still four games and now we talked about this versus team tank.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: The reason players don't tank is because now you only have four more games to put good on film.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: A lot of these players, because this is a game of attrition, A lot of these players, not a lot, but several of these players will just the fact is they will not be in a Cowboys uniform next year part of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's part of it. Which means they're also interviewing for the other thirty one teams as well. So he's not, No, he's not.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is this is the type of motivational messages you look at the locker room. If you're Michael, you say, hey, go out on your shield. Go out on your shield. So I love what Isaiah's saying. This is the biggest test of leadership for Michael Parsons, and you hate how it arived, but it's here, and the timing of it is wildly ironic considering what's about to happen in the offseason as far as the beginning of his contract talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely gonna be a case and a talking point going into it. All right, Tomorrow we preview the Cowboys offense versus that Carolina Panthers defense. Like Patrick said earlier, this defense is better than what Cincinnati brought to the table. Can the Cowboys find a little bit more success on the offensive side. It'll be back tomorrow with more nine am Central Time live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com for Chris beeB, Isaiah stand Back, Patrick no Cy Walker, Josh Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yomen saying, so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.