Speaker 1: Quest Love Show is a production of iHeart Radio. What's going on?
Speaker 2: This is cousin Jake, one of the producers of The Questlove Show, and this season we kicked things off back in November with Open Mike Eagle, an artist that Quest You've been super supportive of. You guys did a whole season of a podcast together, and you guys spoke for like two hours, but I think I spoke for.
Speaker 1: Two hours full disclosure.
Speaker 2: I mean the comments on that, and I'm the guy that has to read the hate mail, the love mail, the suggestion.
Speaker 3: That was the ishtar of no way, yeah Way.
Speaker 4: It was the they went in on me, no you know, And I explained to people that y'all just caught me in a very dark week. I was kind of dealing with the D'Angelo situation the time that I couldn't share and so.
Speaker 2: Is I remember it that taped, not it didn't run terribly long after we taped, but I was getting ready for it. And that was the day you released your Instagram like public statement and you had a series of videos and then I always imagine like you turn your phone off, so you sat down and you were a phenomenal listener about that and you spoke about how life almost sent you down a psychology path or yeah, And I mean what's interesting is the comments. Yes, some people said more than another episode's Yo questlove man, let the guy talk. I know, but you know that was thirty five percent sixty five percent where people like this is an evolved, high frequency conversation between two men, two artists. Nevertheless, we wanted to continue that here with kind of a special announcement we can make in a few minutes. But you know, Mike, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm chilling? You know, I'm good. I'm happy to be here, you know, happy to be here working, always making stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: But what are you working on now?
Speaker 3: Oh? I did just I just finished another album, like I just finished the Master. I got the Master's approved this week, So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 1: I envy that.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I mean, you know, it's just me really, so I don't have as many things to oversee and monitor and tweak as you. You know, y'all got a lot of things going on over there, so who could blame me? Before it taking a little longer.
Speaker 1: Than I'm overthinker.
Speaker 4: You already established I'm the overthinker and you're the hard guy, and I'm trying to get to that place over think too.
Speaker 3: But it's just it's a lot easier when I'm overthinking by myself. It's a lot easier, Honestly, I don't have to have as many conversations.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm very excited because I've definitely decided that you are probably the voice in my head. You're the voice in my hip hop head. Like every line you say, I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel. That's how I feel too.
Speaker 4: It's like the last time I did that was probably watching Love on the Spectrum.
Speaker 3: Hey I do that that show.
Speaker 1: Damn that's me too, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I want to even ask you about that. I mean, you know, our purpose here was to continue some of that discussion. And I'm sitting in because you're a voice that folks might hear and maybe see in this case on some of these mini episodes. But I just want to know what your daily listening diet is like.
Speaker 3: So on this album, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: You got Michigan Jay Wonder, that's the song I keep coming back, and you've got the you know, the homage to boot Camp click in there right, And I'm like, man, this guy listens like, I just imagine you really latching on to I'm not going to say deep cuts, but I'm just curious what your music diet is.
Speaker 3: Like, that's really interesting. Like right now I'm in a phase of listening to this band called XTC. You familiar with.
Speaker 4: Oranges and Lemons helped me, see they were in my label mates at Geffen. So again, we would raid the closets at Geffen.
Speaker 1: Hey what's that over there?
Speaker 4: Have canvas bags and then run the bleaker Bob's hopefully get forty fifty.
Speaker 1: Dollars records you can go to.
Speaker 2: You feel the stickers off at least the promo at all.
Speaker 4: Well, their version of it was put the little whole punch or the whole punch. Yeah, but oftentimes but even then, like, uh, you know, Sonic you've admitted and uh, weez Are admitted they did the same thing. So you're getting which your album in particular.
Speaker 3: So Mummer is the one I've been listening to over and over again, Okay, And I don't know if there's a connection to the Mumbers Parade or anything like that, but I hope not. I mean it might, I don't know who knows, But that's the one I've been running over and over again. I always listen to this stuff when I'm writing, like not writing rap, but like writing TV film stuff. I listened to them a lot, Like they put me in the right zone. So I've been bumping Mummer over and over again. Orangeans and Lemons, Gosh, just a few records by them that I can't remember the name too right, but.
Speaker 2: You still create that like see the experience of like I got one in the car, Like I'm gonna keep this album heavy rotation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and I listened to a lot. You know, I'm listening to streaming, but I'm typically listening by an album, like I'll put on XGC album, put on a stereo lab album like you know, Like that's typically my consumption is is album based. When I'm in the mood to listen to an album. Most of the time, I'm listening to people talk on YouTube. That's what I'm listening to the majority of the time.
Speaker 1: What do you listen to?
Speaker 3: Oh? I listen to people talk about anything that I'm interested in, whether it's music, professional wrestling, comic books, TV, film, conspiracy theories. You know, things are getting real real these days out here and with the government. So like I'm doing a lot of deep dives along with people who I'm not sure if they're experts or not, but they.
Speaker 2: Can you listen to somebody that you dislike or disagree with for a long period.
Speaker 3: Of time, not disagree with.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I can listen to somebody I dislike, but I can't necessarily spend a long time, like the type of attention I give a YouTube video. If they keep saying stuff I disagree with, I start talking back out loud, like in my in my home, your inner Eric Manee is about they start, and I can't.
Speaker 4: I want to get Eric Mana on QLs man because this guy, I love him, Man, I love this Eric.
Speaker 2: Brittany's on the phone right now.
Speaker 4: Trying to I know that I'm probably still dipping my toe into the world of YouTube, you know, because like all the kids, of all the roots kids, the way that YouTube consumes their lives, and you know these are like some of them are watching actual like well whatever the black nerd version of Jonathan Lipinski from Jerry Maguire, you know, like Berson beefs and smell Fire, Like all these nerdy Roots kids are like showing me some sort of scientific thing that they saw on YouTube. I'm purposely not jumping into the whole of YouTube the way that I should because I'm I'm afraid you guys will never see me again.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, what do you listen to me? You're listening to music primarily. Do you listen to talk? Do you listen to people? You listen to podcasts?
Speaker 1: Like you want to know? Okay, let me you did this?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you no.
Speaker 1: And we can only play ten seconds of it if it's I'm being mindful. Right.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing, though, I'm being highly mindful of what I do listen to.
Speaker 2: You've been playing some amazing music while we've been on this trip, Like you were playing Art Farmer yesterday. I was like, damn yeah, I called it Freddy Hubbard. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I tend to gravitate towards the opposite of what I'm going through right now creatively. All right, So to give you a good example, like I will listen to this for like like the second I get home. This is the noise that is in my house for like the next six seven hours.
Speaker 3: Are you meditating?
Speaker 4: I just have to be in a meditative state because the level of what I'm juggling right now, Like as I'm speaking, I'm juggling at least six projects. So I just pretty much listen to tones. I don't listen to music much anymore because of what I do for a living, right, I have to get that out my system.
Speaker 3: So that's precisely the reason why I'm typically not listening to a lot of rap music these days, because that's primarily what I'm making, primarily what I'm discussing when I'm making my own YouTube videos and so like, there's so much that happens in my mind when I hear a rap song or rap album, it's got it's almost got nothing to do with the music. I'm thinking about who this is, where they're from, what label they're on, how this music got to me. There's so much going on in my mind because I'm so embedded in the industry, even though you know, obviously not at the major label level, but it's just such a part of my life that it gets in the way of my enjoyment of it. So typically I have to put on genres far away from what I do.
Speaker 2: So you you just said you completed it. Now I'm very curious, and I know you're very soon you go overseas for a tour run. I'm always fascinated with this with comedians of like putting new songs in their set. Will you perform songs that aren't out yet for your audience?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm going to start that process this time because I want to get used to playing them, because I find a different relationship to songs when I start playing them, So I don't want the first time that I play these songs to be when it's the release party, you know, So I want to get used to seeing how some of them feel.
Speaker 2: And will you how much does the crowd dictate what you think of that song? Are you able to.
Speaker 3: Just probably more than they should, Probably probably more than they said. If they have a bad reaction to something, I'm going to think about that for a good long time, even though.
Speaker 4: Wait, how do you know they have a bad reaction If they don't, if they're in different, if they're indifferent, if they don't release energy at the time when I feel like that should happened in the song, somebody say, oh, well, I don't get I mean, you know my version of that, which is probably saying something a little bit a little less traditional.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I feel like, okay, whenever I'm on a zoom. Do you know about the Macbeth curse?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: If you are in a theater, you are to never ever say the word Macbeth.
Speaker 1: It's a centuries long kind of owning. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact, if you go to a Broadway play in New York when the theater's empty, they purposely leave a single lamp with no shade and a single light in the middle of the theater to sort of throw it off the spirits of the curse or whatever.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact.
Speaker 4: The night of the Slap, the first thing that Chris Rock says when he walks on stage is, Hey, Denzel Washington, I just want to congratulate you on your Oscar nominating turn.
Speaker 1: And Makebeth and we all laugh like and then you saw it hap them five minutes later.
Speaker 3: So what happens if you're doing a production of Macbeth in the theater, Like what happens to question?
Speaker 4: I think there is some sort of exemption there, but you're to never ever say the words Macbeth inside of the theater or else it'll be a curse.
Speaker 1: And so okay, now I just did it. I fell down a rabbit hole and forgot why I brought.
Speaker 3: This up about a zoom call. You were saying, oh, okay.
Speaker 4: So my version of that on a zoom call is people will tend to say, and you know I do a lot of pitches on zoom. They will say, well, everybody's excited, so yeah, we'll reconvene next week, and everybody's excited. A project will fall apart or never fall through. Literally everybody's excited. Is the version of So how about those mets?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I feel like somebody say, ho, and whose side is live? Or I still see older?
Speaker 3: I don't want to see it.
Speaker 1: I'm serious.
Speaker 4: I've seen many of my nineties contemporaries still do the whole.
Speaker 1: Yo say fuck, this side say fuck that's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the side things people in the crowd like why are we fighting?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: So, like, what is your version of engagement where you know they're rocking with you? Because even like the eight mile thing, I think is kind of or you know, like the whole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I mean, I have one song where I do a hands up thing, but it comes at the very end of my set and the song is sort of built around it. In a way where it makes a logical sense to do. It's not just like a ram.
Speaker 1: You're an asshole if you don't do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's yeah, it's like I'm taking a survey, you know what I'm saying. And by that point people are either with it what I'm doing or they're not. So typically you know it, get a good amount of hand. It's at that point. But I don't want to be asking for hands the whole time. I don't want to be asking for noise. To me, the thing is to like ask for those things without asking for because to me, the death knell is to be looking like I'm seeking their approval. That to me is like if I give them this sense that I need them to do anything, then I've already lost.
Speaker 4: This is why to this day, The Roots have been doing shows for thirty one years and we've never once ended a song right right. Our show is like a say, from beginning to end. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It's just the idea of like.
Speaker 3: Uh, you the same way, you know what. I think. Ideally there's a version of my show that's like that, But I've never actually taken the time to put all the interestitial pieces together. So I have like chunks of show where like two or three songs kind of run into each other and then I sort of stopped down. Dude, maybe a little band and then start the.
Speaker 2: Next is your set? You know, I know every every leg is different, but does your set change much nights tonight?
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot. I mean it changes a lot toward to tour, but night to night it doesn't change that much.
Speaker 2: Interesting, and then what becomes of like Neighborhood Gods Unlimited now that it's no longer the youngest born I mean about it still is what what's your relationship? Because I think you made this point when you were on you know, this season earlier last year of like every album is a different conversation piece for you, and it's a different theme and you figure out what the theme is as you work on the album. How does the relationship change when the next album's out to the past?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, what is an interesting question. I'm not you know, able to say much about what this next album is, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Not asking that.
Speaker 3: But it's okay. I think it's an interesting thing you bring up because you completed it's over. Yeah, but it's you know, I'm not the only stakeholder in this situation. So I like to coordinate with folks. So when we you know, when we when we make announcements to things. But this album is like a it's basically like a breakup album. So it's a conversation.
Speaker 1: Past the divorce album or past the divorce album. There's a new one.
Speaker 3: There's a new one, damn it. But that was five years ago. And that was six years ago. Damn So a whole other thing stopped and started in between.
Speaker 1: Uh, some more Black Marry episodes.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's more life Ruin and that's not necessarily Black Marry episodes. But but yeah, to.
Speaker 1: Here my DearS in in a cannon. There it is.
Speaker 4: And and the thing about it, you do a third one, You're the problem.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the thesis of both of these projects.
Speaker 2: Am I the problem?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: There's no question.
Speaker 3: But the thing about the Anime Truma Divorce album and when I released in twenty twenty after my divorce, is that because it was a pandemic, I didn't tour that album. So I have worked those songs into live performances after the world reopened. But this will be the first time where I'm like Okay, this project centered around a very specific thing. How do I strike the balance of having this conversation and also working in my old stuff?
Speaker 1: All right? So there's a question I'm donna know. All right.
Speaker 4: So when Will Smith wrote his book, I asked him the process of like, yo, you're really putting a lot out there, and a lot of your stories have to do with people in your life.
Speaker 1: Did you have to go? He says, yes.
Speaker 3: I had a whole weekend where he invited.
Speaker 1: Everybody over.
Speaker 4: And he read them the entire book over that three day period, and if there was an objection or whatever, people took a note, and then he did a one on one to say, okay, like you know, chapter seven you mentioned da da da da, and so he had to get their blessings.
Speaker 1: Is that the same for you or no?
Speaker 3: Because you know, in a book you kind of got to say what happened, Right, I'm making songs. I'm not saying what happened. I'm saying how I feel about what happened. And I don't necessarily have to clear that with anybody.
Speaker 1: Do you play it for them first?
Speaker 3: Just hell no?
Speaker 1: So do you know what your ex wife's reaction was to the album?
Speaker 3: I told her that I made a divorce album, and I told her what it was titled. And I told her that I didn't put any details of anything in it. And she says she was okay with that, and that's all the permission I needed.
Speaker 1: Does she listen to your music?
Speaker 3: She used to. I couldn't blame her for not paying at couldn't blame her at all. Boy, couldn't blame her.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That's super exciting, you know, on the subject music I always have. I mean, it's really cool to be sitting here with you because over the years, in my previous lifetime, I always just wanted to talk to you. I music.
Speaker 5: But there's one song yeah no right, yeah, Croiz, one of my favorite songs, the last I guess it's ten years.
Speaker 2: I was just looking to check the date, but it is admitting the endorphined addition that was that was my jump off on open Mike Eagle, Like it's funny enough, like I knew people that knew you and had worked with you and always said amazing things about your humanity and your artistry. But when I heard that song, that was the one that like, oh and that whole album, Just curious if you could just like unpack that because I think for a lot of listeners of this platform, that is a great entry point.
Speaker 3: Huh okay, you know, like that was a song where I'm an album a moment in my life, but a song in particular where I'm sort of realizing, as many of us were, what role the phone was playing in my life. So there's Check to Check, which is another song on that album about how I'm checking my phone all the time and like, and I sort of got at this underlying thing of like, oh, I'm getting these little endorphin packets from all of these apps, from waiting on these emails that are supposed to do yeah, like that, And it was sort of just wrestling with that, like what hole am I trying to fill with these little energy injections that come from these interactions with people in the internet, you know, And and the whole song kind of comes from that point.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I got asked, like, what's your relationship with your phone? Now?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm still psychologically part cyborg, like I am, you know, a part of my mind is always thinking about what's going on on the Internet and what is being directed towards me at all times. What I'm noticing more these days, and it's kind of getting at what I was talking about with YouTube. How I'm like watching the world sort of move to tiktokification in a short video and I just like, I can't do it. I can't, Like I can't do the video casino where you don't know what's coming next, like and I see a lot of people getting their dopamine hits that way, but that don't work for me, Like I need to choose. I need to be sitting in a conversation for eight, ten, twenty minutes like that's that's my relationship to this content that we're all consuming. And I'm watching the world go this other way and I'm like, okay, this.
Speaker 2: Is are you still a call me type versus a text me? Now?
Speaker 3: Never call me? Call never. I'm just making sure no never call me? Are you camera?
Speaker 2: Like when people cold call you my first, it's violence.
Speaker 1: It's a violent act. I literally say, are you fifty years old? Like why are you calling me?
Speaker 4: But unfortunately their answer is amir, you know I'm fifty three. And I'm like, dog like, stop calling me first?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Man, oh god yeah no.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 3: I hate it. I hate it so much.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, I'm so thrilled that your voice is going to be joining us. I mean, I know we spoke about it at the end of the episode that ran last year, but are you in a position to talk a little more about that you have brewing and why this ecosystem really aligns itself.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, so we're starting a podcast.
Speaker 2: You don't need to whisper me and.
Speaker 3: A producer, but it's important, you know, I'm just bringing it, bringing it, making people lean into this part. You know what I'm saying. Starting a podcast with you all's network? Is there a name to this network? Is a question?
Speaker 1: Whoever network?
Speaker 3: Network? Is it a network?
Speaker 2: We don't have a name. Yeah, we'll think of a name.
Speaker 3: Okay, Questlove Umbrella that's a merchant, yeah, no more self emosily, I'll think of something. Whatever this this unnamed enterprise that y'all have heres.
Speaker 1: Just think of it now. That's on you back me we go.
Speaker 3: But I'm starting a podcast. There's a working title for which is the album that changed my life? That might change But we're going to be talking to h luminaries in the in the culture and all walks of life about the album that did that for them and we're going to be bringing in people who worked on those projects to have a to have a real in depth conversation. It's sort of a I think interest wise and unpacking music. It aligns perfectly with this platform, and it's sort of an extension of my podcast. What it happened was where I talked to a person about their project. Now we're getting to unpack other people's favorites and hopefully getting some insight into how those projects were made.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to ask you what, but while we've been with a lot of people the last few days, just coming in and out. While we've been recording here in La, more than one person said they hope for more of what had happened. Was will that can and continue?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm taping the next season now. Wonderful your phone by the way, you know, I'll tell you all off, Mike, When does it come? That's I mean, I'm talking to a very busy person. As I obviously am inclined to do, was talk to very busy people. So it's it's taken some time, so I can't necessarily project when it will happen. When it'll be in the can hopefully this summer. Nice hopefully the summer best.
Speaker 1: News I've ever gotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, because truly that was you always joke about people making bread during the pandemic, learning how to That was my favorite thing during the pand I know it started right before, but like.
Speaker 3: I think we taped it most of it the year before, but it started airing right in the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was that. It was the Jordan Bulls thing. Oh yeah, and last Dance Joe Exotic. You know, those were my three entire and then lastly, I just wanted to say to you too, and I encourage everyone that loves our podcast since we're talking about watching things on YouTube past due, that is what I listened to when I prepared dinner. Awesome.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's that's that could be rough dinner making listening. I hope, I hope you're not crying and you're post is just the last meal, you know, And and you know that podcast is a is a laborer love for sure, But for people who don't know, that's a podcast where we talk to creatives about how they're navigating this economy. And for most of us, it is more difficult, you know, when you get into real conversations with folks. They're having a lot harder time than they put out there publicly, and we really get knee deep into those conversations.
Speaker 2: On past two, I really admired when you put it on the camera on yourselves or put the mic on yourselves and just like open the books of the show and talked about things I like, you know, from being somebody who's you know, four or five years in the podcast space. That was a lot and it's so cool. In your first question, I just encourage everyone, since the first question is often what is your first musical memory? On Questlove Supreme, and in the Quest of show, your first question your guests is outstanding. I encourage people to listen.
Speaker 3: Did you want me to tell them?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: The first p.
Speaker 3: The first question And we're gonna ask you, Jake.
Speaker 2: You don't have to tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But the first question is, and I'm not seriously asking you to answer, is when's the last time you were worried about covering your monthly expenses? And that opens up every conversation we have on that show, damn, So I won't be asking you anytime. So, dude, even.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, like I always felt, you know, once you jump in the pool of a dream that becomes like I'll put it this way, there's a well established artist that we've all known and loved, and somehow I feel I was privy to how the sausage is mean as far as expenses and whatnot. And what I learned was, now, this person, to me was like, you know, he's a figure that we all know to be immersed of money. But the whole andree three thousand check the check thing comes up, and even for that person, someone told me that the true sign of success, at least in that sort of money grabbing way that hip hop has always been, is if you stop what you're doing right now, how long could you sustain your life? And for most people that are in that place, like living the way they live without adjusting, you know, five to ten years if you're lucky. But for a lot of us, like you know, I'm this is the reason why I work.
Speaker 1: Someone is I'm.
Speaker 4: Seven weeks Like, if everything we're to stop right now, I could still live this way just for seven weeks and then that's when the.
Speaker 1: The knock starts.
Speaker 4: So you know, I'm not at a place where you know, back in the day, it was Robin Peter Pain Paul, Hey, I need more J gigs any more DJ gigs any more? But no, it's it's still a monthly not nightmare, but a monthly thought of you know what, can I still keep this going?
Speaker 3: That that you just expressed, that gets at the reason why we do that show, because we've had all sorts of people who are actors, comedians, musicians, writers, people that people know, and we're often surprised how much economic insecurity is at the top of people's minds.
Speaker 2: You leave every episode, I feel like feeling a lot closer in a different way than just like seeing an interview show too. You get that person absolutely, So check out that podcast. Please come back for this podcast, our quest Love Show. Many episodes have just got a significant upgrade. I'm thrilled that Mike is here, so look out for a lot more of this.
Speaker 3: Happy to be here, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Questlam Shows a production of iHeartRadio.