Speaker 1: It's the latest edition of Birdland Territory. Welcome to fan Steve Maleski, Tim Barbelace, Brad Brock, and today as we take this, we're one week ahead of the twenty twenty six Major League Baseball All Star Games set for Philadelphia. It was ten years ago. One member of our show spoiler alert, it wasn't Tim.
Speaker 2: It wasn't me. No major league based All Star game.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, Tim, Kingsville Rec Council All Star Game once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in that.
Speaker 1: No, don't have that on the rest, but Brad Brock does. Oriol Fans with good memories will remember the oriols Cent a Hall of players of that game in twenty sixteen. Brad was there with teammates Zach Britton, Mark Trumbo, Matt Wheeters, and Manny Machado who started that game the American League One.
Speaker 2: It was in San Diego, the team.
Speaker 1: That originally drafted and brought Brad to the big leagues. There's a lot of cool aspects of that day we're going to share with you today through Brad's mementos and remembrances and all that. And so Brad, we want to talk about that special day and game for you, But we want to start leading up to what got you there, and that was amazing pitching in the first half of twenty sixteen, and fans can look up the stats as I did.
Speaker 2: In your first half. You were six and one with.
Speaker 1: An O nine to one ERA and ANA three to one whip in forty nine and the third innings. They weren't shy about getting in the games first half of the season in twenty sixteen, and again not being the regular closer on the team, you really got to light it up back in those days to make the All Star team as a reliever, and you did.
Speaker 2: Man, when you.
Speaker 1: Think back to that first half, that must bring back some pretty good memories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. And it's like you're going through a season like that, you're just trying not to think about it. You're just going out there whenever your name is called and just trying to put up zeros. And that's kind of all I was doing, especially with the season Zach was having and obviously Darren helping out, Michael Gibbons, guys like that. Just you just didn't want to disappoint anybody and our team we played a bunch of close games, so as a reliever, you want to go in there in those close games and just pitch well, and it just it kind of got off to a you know, hot start, and I just kind of rolled with it from there. During that first half, I do remember pitching a lot of multiple inning outings, so that's kind of when I was having good games. I think I had a couple I think it was almost two plus outings during that and it was just kind of it was kind of nice because you got into rhythm and you didn't have to kind of spread it out over a couple of days. I was able to rack up a couple outings there where you know, multiple innings helped with the inning total and everything. But it was definitely a fun half and it was something that I'll definitely never forget and hopefully can share with my kids one day because they obviously weren't weren't there to witness and everything, but it was it was a really special time and just a fun half.
Speaker 4: Really, was there a moment there for you, though, Brad? Like those numbers that Steve gave, they're pretty ridiculous type numbers, Like.
Speaker 2: That's the best groove of your career?
Speaker 4: Like, was there a moment where you're like, Okay, this could be a special year for me.
Speaker 3: You know. There, I wouldn't say like a particular moment. There was just that there was a few outings in there, like I faced Kansas City at Kansas City and at the time, you know, facing them in fourteen and fifteen weren't our favorite opponents, but I had a couple of really good outings against them, and I knew there was manager choices and stuff like that, so I knew i'd fitch really well against the Royals, and I had a couple good outings against the Blue Jays that were multiple innings, and it just kind of you get to June, and honestly, with Darrin o Day making it the year before, him being like a really great mentor towards me, it made me hopeful that with the SATs I had, I could make the All Star Game, because really I only thought of it being as closers and starters that make the game. But Darren making it the year before just really kind of started to, you know, pequ my interest there. Once I got to like June because me and reliever, your stats can get blown up after one outing, so it got to like June and I was like, maybe if I hold this down for another month, here I got. I got a shot that kind of join Darren what he did the year before. So it started somewhere around June, I said, I probably started to realize that if I can kind of keep this going, maybe I'll have a shot to go to the game.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how you found out you were going?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Actually, Buck sent a text to my wife and was like, Hey, is Brad around, Can you speak to me real quick? And she was like right now, And she showed me the text after and then after she came out of the she went to the bathroom in the hotel room. She came out and was like, yeah, you're going. You're heading to the All Star Game. And that night, obviously they had the selection show, so they wanted me to know beforehand as opposed to finding out like on the TV. And so I had a chance to like talk to family members and friends and that kind of thing. But then it was just a slew of text messages and phone calls. And I actually still have like like four or five voicemails saved my phone from when I got phone calls from college pitching coach, a guy who was a bullpen catcher in San Diego. Just other family members and stuff like that. It was just something I really wanted to remember, and I'm glad I still have stuff like that to look back because now, especially like ten years, I think at the you know, the five year, ten year, twenty year market kind of just has like an extra special meaning to it, and you kind of really look back now that my career is over looked back and just you know, it's very fond memories and just a unbelievable experience and I'm like extremely grateful, humbled that I was able to be a part of something like that.
Speaker 2: Wow. So Buck told your wife to tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, he just he wanted He's always big, He was always big on that, like getting family members involved, and just kind of he wanted her to be the one to kind of break the news to me that that it was gonna happen. So he he went behind my back and just kind of told her and she let me know that, Hey, we're heading to San Diego next week, and it was just, I mean, the slew of emotions was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: What was the meaning like like in that moment, Brad, Because when we did the Show with Jim kallis what a week ago and just saying now, a forty second round pick and to even make it to the big leagues is a big enough accomplishment in and of itself. But to make an All Star Game, as you know, a late round pick, a late round pick that doesn't even exist in today's baseball.
Speaker 3: Like what does that mean? Like in that moment, Yeah, it was like it's like hard to put into words at the moment, would it met? Because it was like, as I'm going through a honor the career, like you said, four second round pick. I always made the goal of making the All Star team at every level I was at because to me, I felt like I needed to pitch well in order to stay in professional not even thinking about the big leagues at the time. So it's just funny because once I got to the big leagues, you kind of establish yourself as a guy on a team, those like dreams and like aspirations like somehow they went away. And I started working with a mental skills coach in the middle of twenty fifteen and he was kind of like why did you stop having that as a goal, And it was like kind of a very insightful thought to have and like thing to think about, like why did I stop trying to be an All Star? Like that's the goal, right, you want to be one of the best players at your position in the league every year. So it really started happening in the second half of fifteen. I just kind of put in my head like, hey, I want to make this a goal. I want to make an All Star Game. And whether I know, wiled it into existence or just kind of felt like I kind of came into my own with Baltimore and just felt really comfortable. I don't know what it was. And like I said, with the Darren ol Day selection, it really kind of like, hey, this is the possibility. Why can't you be a guy like Darren you know you've seen it done and just go out there and perform and put up the numbers and maybe you'd have a shot. So I mean, at the time, it was just like a whirlwind of emotions, but just just really proud of the work that I put in, especially kind of struggling at the big leagues when I was with San Diego. Came over to Baltimore kind of find trying to find my role and then somewhere along twenty fifteen, it kind of started to click and my stuff started playing up, and I just thought myself in a comfortable spot and it was just it was really surreal.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a great time to be an Orio fan. That twenty twelve through sixteen, three playoff appearances, the Orioles led the American League and wins. They were beating the best teams in the league routinely, and they were contending for the postseason and in it three times. And in twenty sixteen, Brad Brock and four other teammates went to the All Star Game. Man, that is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So we are going to spend some more time on this show talking about some momentos and some things that were pretty special. Tim, Why are you smiling so much right now?
Speaker 2: Parking right now? Oh? We can't, I can't. No, you're good, Okay, you'd tell the dog O. It's okay. Man.
Speaker 1: We're excited about Brad's All Star appearents ten years ago, and if he wants to bark a little bit, it's worth barking about.
Speaker 2: But we're going to come back.
Speaker 1: We're going to show some mementos Brad has from that day, that game, those days and talk more about his All Star Games All Star experience in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Coming up today on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 5: Hey for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, looking to K twelve Pared Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family. Todd Father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past. I know you liked it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career or whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 5: See how K twelve Pirate Schools can help unlock your child's full potential today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago at Bergland Territory, teammate Brad Brock was an American League All Star twenty sixteen San Diego. So, Brad, we've been talking about it a little bit, and so a lot of emotions hit you. Your wife tells you you're an All Star, you get to share with four other teammates. What was it like when you walked into the clubhouse in San Diego and looked around that room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was. It's it's almost like I it's like you feel like you shouldn't be there kind of thing, Like it's a weird thing, like they said, being I think just being such a late round draft pick. And I was thirty years old at the time, and you was just wondering if like half these guys even know who I am. You know, as a reliever, you're out there every so a little so often. But it was, it was, it was unbelievable. When you go around you just look at the names over there, I mean future Hall of famers, David Ortiz, Beltron and when in Carsonione, you have Miguel Cabrera. The names just go on and on. I mean every year the obviously the All Star rosters are loaded, but that year especially, I think now looking back, I mean there's a potential to have five, six, seven All Stars that I mean all Stars in that team that could end up being in the Hall of Fame, which is just, I mean, unbelievable looking back. So it was just kind of a starstruck moment. But it was kind of surreal too because that was the home clubhouse I first knew when I when I came in, so as I walked in the doors, it was a very familiar place. But at the same time, I'm like, this is not what I remember after when I last left this clubhouse in twenty thirteen with the Padres.
Speaker 4: I've done that a little bit before the break, Brad, Like, how much of a full circle moment was that, Like going back to the ballpark, the organization in which you made your debut with that we're just drafted by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was unbelievable. I think if I could have hand selected an All Star game, I think that would have been the one to kind of, like you said, it was full circle. I love the Padgers organization always have. I mean, I'm so grateful for them just to give me a chance, even though it was a late round pick. They're the team that gave me a chance and where I learned how to pitch. Are the big league level. When I got to the Oriols, I took it to another level. But that's where I kind of you know, I was twenty five when I got called up and was just kind of trying to figure it out as I go. And then as I walk in the clubhouse, the head clubhouse manager of the All Star Game was a guy had in Triple A, TJ. TJ. Laidlaw was. He was the clubhouse guys. I walked in and he's just like, man, He's like, it's awesome seeing you.
Speaker 6: Hear.
Speaker 3: He's like, I mean, talk about a moment, like last time I saw you, You're in Tucson, and now you're here in San Diego as an All Star. He's like, I just the guys were so happy for me. It was really cool to get to see them. You get to know a lot of the clubhouse guys, especially in the minor leagues. You spend a lot of time with those guys when you're in Triple A, you're traveling with them there, you know, give you the food that can get you through the day each day, especially in two soun Whent's one hundred and twenty degrees out every day. So to see him again I walked in, it was just it kind of put me at ease there because then I really did start start to feel a little bit more comfortable because it was, like I said, it was a place I was very familiar with walking in that San Diego clubhouse.
Speaker 1: What are we looking at here, Brad? And what memories does this bring back to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So this is the picture. This is like one of the cool stories I like to tell about now that I'm done, because when you're playing, you can't really show guys this, Like I'm gonna be facing David Ortiz in a week or two. And Ryan Flaherty apparently likes to He's a trickster. He likes to play some prank. So he packed that five hundred chain in my bag. And when I got to my locker, it was hanging from one of the you know, like belt strap things up there, and Zach Britton sees it. We got that it was a giveaway. When we were playing the Red Sox earlier that year, Fenway celebrating ortizes five hundred home run, so of course Zach sees it. He tells me to put it on. He's like, hey, Poppy, come on over here. You take a picture with Brad. And I'm like, this is not I don't know if this is okay, Like can I do this? But after I'm done doing this. The week before, he had a home run off me over the Red Sox bullpen and it was in the ninth inning. It was kind of like his you know, his going away tour, so every bad he had the crowds going nuts. He hit a ball so far off of me as of them. I look, it's going over the bullpen. It hits the stands and he's still standing in the in the batter's box. And at the time it wasn't very happy, and I'm like, you got to be kidding me, Like I understand this is like your farewell tour, but it's a five to nothing game. I'm having a pretty good season two And I mean he pimped. He pimped it so bad. So after we were done taking the picture, I was like, hey, man, next time, you hit a home run off me, could you could you not helicopter me and fall into the other batter's box, maybe just run a little bit quick. He's like, oh, Poppy, my back. You know, it's it's bothering me these days. And so it was just a really cool memory to happen. Like I said, I'm at the time, I was a little nervous taking the picture, but I'm really glad I have that memory and can kind of look back and tell the story of it, because I mean, it's David Ertiz. He's one of the better players of our generation and obviously Hall of Famer. So just really cool momentum the half of that game and stuff like that, like you just wouldn't expect to happen when you're there, and uh, it was just really really cool. Thanks to Flaherty for pretty in that uh that fake chain that we had there too.
Speaker 4: Well, now go ahead, Jim, I was gonna say, well, what were some of your favorite moment mementos from that week that you got?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, players, Yeah we had so I didn't know, guys, I talked about there being an all star ring So do the best I can to show this as I can here the uh so every player gets an All Star ring and when at the end of the week, we got one of these and it just has the American League symbol on this side with the Padre symbol and there also trying to do the best I can with the focusing part. And then this ide just has the All Star Game symbol on it and just kind of just a really cool momento there that we got at the end. And like I said, I wasn't expecting it kind of thing. But every player gets one of these every year that I come to learn, and that was kind of cool, and you know that to me, I always loved the different baseballs, whether it was Mother's Day, Father's Day. I always kept a bunch of them. So the baseball's had a and yellow stitch on them. This is actually the ball I warmed up with. I unfortunately didn't get in the game, but I warmed up twice. Ned Yos called down to the bullpen was like, hey, I'm gonna try to get you in this game, but if you warm up a second time and don't go in, He's like, I'm not gonna be able to get you in this game because I don't want to have to fill a phone call from Buck that you warmed up three times before you went in this game. He's like, you've pitched a lot this year, so he's like, I'm gonna do with the best I can, but just don't get mad at me if I can't get you in the game. So just the baseball's warming up. I always enjoyed this was a So we had our practice jerseys lined up in the clubhouse for all the guys to sign, and Zach Britton actually got this frame for me after the game, so I mean that's pretty much the entire roster signed there on my practice jersey. So that's always a cool one to have and to show people whenever they come down to a little bit of a man cave that I have. And then I have my jersey from the game too, which a lot of people I don't know. I think they know about the stars in the back a lot of times. Obviously the All Star Game patch on this here, and then I thought the coolest part of these jerseys are that you have your signature in gold on the bottom and the stars represent how many All Star Games you've made. So you can imagine going around that clubhouse and seeing these hanging up and you see Ortiz which has ten stars on his and some of the other guys that had you know, seven eight games and they have all those stars on theirs also. It's so that was just a placer was special to me because you know, it's from San Diego. It's got the the Peco Park kind of outside on it, it has the dates on it and everything like that. So just stuff like that I always enjoyed when I was playing, just the little kind of kind of details that we had, like whether it's fourth of July, Father's Day, Memorial Day. I always enjoyed the clees. I enjoyed the different balls that we use and stuff like that, and so I always thought that was cool. And then one of the cooler things that I got was an actual invitation to the game, which was I mean, not expecting this. It shows up and it says, you know, special invitation from the commissioner. It's got this cool little sticker on the back, and then it's got like a like if you're getting I did to like some fancy gala. It's got the All Star Game symbol on it, and then on the inside it's just got an actual invitation and it's you know, really nice cardboard that it's on and it just says welcome to the Midsummer Class and congratulations the link in the game with Manfreend's signature on it. So just kind of a lot of this stuff as I went through the week. I'm glad I kept. It was kind of a whirlwind as you're going through it, so I'm glad I was able to keep a bunch. And then I think my one of my favorite things. I'm a big cleek guy. So one of the cooler things that we got was a package from Nike and I think I have a I think there's a couple of pictures of that. And it was just a box from Nike that was there sitting at your locker when you got to the game, and it just said congratulations, I'm making the All Star game. And it had a special pair of cleats. That's the box right there, So it was just sitting at your locker and as you opened it up, it had this green plastic on top and it had the cleats, trainers and a pair of sunglasses in there, and then obviously it's there it just says congratulations on being selected and thanks for being part of the Nike team, and to me, that was one of the coolest things. I'm just so glad I was able to somehow ship it from San Diego back to my house in Nashville and it's still all intact, and the cleats are still there. I never wore them after that, and the turfs I just wore during batting practice and they're sitting in there also, So, like I said, just kind of one of those things I never really get to show many people because it's sitting in my closet and I don't know what to do with it. So I just thought it'd be cool to kind of show people kind of the day backstage pass on what you kind of get and what's there during the game, and just kind of all the stuff that happens behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool stuff, pretty cool stuff.
Speaker 1: And Brad, thanks for sharing that so Birdland could see that, and you know, throughout our careers and I wish I'd say more things along the way. And Tim, being a young guy, there's the message to you. Yeah, things that are special that don't seem as special today, put that away in a box.
Speaker 2: In five years from now, you're gonna be glad you did.
Speaker 1: And so we're talking with Brad Brock about the twenty sixteen All Star Game in San Diego the team. We'll tell you about some of the other players in that game and talk to Brad Moore about that game in a minute here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager romount see terms at sportsbook dot fandol dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Was going back Brad and looking at the Pox score.
Speaker 1: Just a couple guys who started for the National League included Bryce Harper, Chris Bryant, Buster Posey, Anthony Rizzo. In the starting lineup for the American League, some players are Manny Machada of course in the Orioles, Mike Trout, Oseel Tuve, David Ortiz, Eric Cosmer, Salvi Perez, Chris Sale got to start on the mound the American League one four to two. Zach Britton saved it scorelessending at the end. And so how badly did the players want to win the game in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the time it was for home field advantage of the World Series, So it was pretty important at the time. And as I went through the experience and got done with it, it's crazy that that that was the stake of the game, because there's so much that goes on when you're there, Like for us, flying from the East Coast to the West coast, you get in when it's dark, it's at least ten o'clock at night when you get the the next day you have all the home run derby, which Trumbull was involved in, and that was an awesome experience too, just having a teammate and getting to watch Jet Ruiz the bullpen catcher for us. He was one of my good buddies on the team. Throw him the batting practice during the home run derby, So that was that was an awesome experience getting to do that. But you go from that to after that game, there's a players party which they encourage everyone to kind of just go and you know, you enjoy it and you have fun. Jamie Fox was the singer of the of the night there and guys are having a good time. But then the next day you're waking up early for a brunch and then you're doing the Red Red carpet show and you go to the stadium right after that and you have to play a game that actually means something. So it was just it was like a complete, just tornado of events that goes on and you're like getting ready, Like I said, I'm warm up for that game, and if I came in, it was gonna be with guys on base. So it was a big deal when I came in. You don't want to be the one that kind of blows it for your league when it comes to the World Series having most home games. So it was it was a lot and at the time, we're in first play, so we're thinking we're gonna be the ones that are gonna, you know, take advantage of having the home field advantage, and you're imagining the World Series being at Candy Yards. You just all these things kind of flooded come flooding to your mind as you're warming up for the game, getting ready for the game. But it's just a lot going on. So you're like, I'm glad they took that away. So maybe guys can like really just kind of embrace the thing, because at the end of the day, you want to perform and you want to do your job at the best, and when you know something on the line, you're going to try to do your best at that. So it's it's I think it's a good thing they got rid of the home field advantage thing, because you said in twenty sixteen it mattered a lot, and it was just it was just a lot going on that if I had other All Star Game experiences, maybe wouldn't it felt as overwhelming as it was, but at that time, you're like, man, I just don't want to be the guy that comes to the game and closed this right.
Speaker 4: How cool was it? Steve mentioned at the top five Orioles, like, that's that's a lot of All Stars for one team. How cool was it just to experience that with four other teammates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was awesome. I mean, and getting to have Matt Weavers there which I throw to all the time, and then seeing Manny start the game and Zach and the save in the game. It was just I mean, we played a big part in it, and it was really cool to, you know, say, I was a part of those five guys being a part of the game, and I mean it was a huge honor, and I'm glad those guys were with me, and I'm glad we had such a big group because we got a nice group photo together that I'll have forever. And just like getting to be able to experience with guys who've done it multiple times, and for all those guys it was there, you know, second, third, maybe fourth, fifth time that those guys had gone. They're just kind of they were just encouraging me to enjoy it. And kind of take it all in. So it was nice having teammates there to like help me be able to enjoy the experience and just kind of like really just embrace it all and kind of soak it all in because they're like, you never know you're gonna go back, and you know my case, I didn't. So it was just I'm glad I took as many momentos as I did. I'm glad I took as many pictures as I did, and just kind of really the memories. I was able to soak them in while still being ready for the game at the same time. But it was just it was really cool. My brother lives out and just outside of San Diego, so he was there, My parents were there, My brother flew in from New Jersey, my wife's brothers flew in from all over her parents, so it was a lot going on. But I'm just really glad I was able to experience it with all of them at the same time too, because, like I said, never got to go back to another one, So I just really wanted to make sure I enjoyed it and got to embrace everything there was to enjoy with it.
Speaker 1: Time fly So it was ten years ago, that twenty sixteen All Star Game, the American League victory, and five Orioles there, and the Orioles kind of on top of the baseball world in the American League for a run of great success there under Buck and Brad and your guys. Let's talk more about it when we continue here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 8: Big Bed Morning Show, Finny and Haney, Inside Access Live on YouTube weekdays six till six. Search Baltimore one O five seven the fan, subscribe for daily Short's right to your phone and never missed which you missed one O five seven the fan.
Speaker 1: You know, Brad, there's one Oriole going this year, Adlie Ritchman, and he's gonna have, I'm pretty sure, a very different experience than you had. Not that he's not going to be proud, and there's a lot of family there and and he's being celebrated for a great year. But there are no other Orioles there. The Ools are having a very disappointing season. They're not on the telecast announcers talking a lot about Baltimore because what a great year Brad and those four teammates and their teammates are having. So that's very different experience. I think ten years later for an Oriole going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gotta be. I mean, when you go solo, I just can imagine being in that locker room by myself. Like I said, it's guys you want to go talk to. But at the same time you're like, I don't. You just don't. I don't know how to do. But like I said, having other teammates that were talking to other guys made it a better experience. And there's also one little thing I like distinctly remember, and I thought it was one of the coolest and like, I just thought it was an awesome We were in the back tunnel after media and Ian Desmond came up to me and he didn't have to do this. We're just walking down the hallway and he's like, hey, I just want to let you know, like you're nasty the last couple of years. I thought you had great years. He's like, I think it's awesome you're getting recognized for this honor, and like I am forever grateful to him for saying something like that, because you just don't know if guys recognize you don't know, they said, I don't know if guys even know who I was when I was in that locker room. It's just there's so many big things, there's so many different agendas going on, there's so many different careers that are being had that you're not sure if you are being recognized by everybody else. And I think him going out of his way and saying those couple of words to me was amazing. And now you can see what he's doing with his community in Sarasota, just all the amazing philanthropy work he's done there. It goes to show what kind of guy he was. But at the time, I didn't even know if he knew who I was. But for him to take the time to do that, I hope Adley gets stuff like that where he gets to spend time with other guys on other teams and they can kind of, you know, just kind of let each other know. It's a really cool thing. And I think the one reason I kind of want to talk about it was because I feel like a lot of the All Star stories or you hear about the you know, the crazy stories of guys who like have injuries or whatever may happen, and a lot of stories that are being told are from the superstars who go all the time I'm not saying they don't appreciate it, but I just felt like it was something that was I mean, it's something I'll ever forever be recognized as. Now I'm not saying that as a brag, but now, like to Steve, when you say it, it still doesn't make sense when you're like twenty sixteen All Star brad Brock, but it's it's something that people will recognize forever. And I have guys that live around here, like Kayleb Joseph. I'll see and I'll be talking to somebody about my career and they'll be He'll say he was an All Star. This guy was an All Star, and it's like, you don't think of yourself that way, but it's an honor that is, like I said before, extremely humbling, and I'm just very proud that I was able to, you know, add that to the back of my baseball card and we'll be there forever. And I just hope badly he's able to kind of enjoy the experience and have other guys come up and tell him that even though he's gone three out of four years, it's really cool and he should try to keep going from from here on out and get the ten if he can, because it really is a cool experience, and I'm sure every city does it completely different. This year in Philadelphia especially, should probably be awesome with the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of America and the Declaration of Independent signing, I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of cool events there. So I hope he's able to enjoy it even though he's going by himself, and hopefully the orials can kind of catapult off of his success into the second half of the season.
Speaker 4: No, Brad, I look, I'm not just saying this because we're doing the show together, but like, to even play MLB one game, you know, you're one percent of the one percent. Then to make an All Star game, you're the one percent of the one percent of the one percent. Like that, that's a hell of an accomplishment, it really is. And especially you know, getting drafted forty second overall, the odds are that much more thin. And No, I think it's great. I think it's a really cool behind the scenes look, and it just sounds like such a whirlwind, you know, forty eight hours, seventy two hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was, Like I said, I hope I was able to articulate it pretty well here. It was just it's just really, like I said, all the I'm always always been big on, like I said, the cleats and the different momentos that you get from these things, and there's a lot of them there, so I'm glad I have. It's funny as I go through the bag too, and then like one other little thing, I want to give Chris Gootta the shout out here too. Here's our recruitment manager. He made these cool little bags for us, the Camos Fort Saint Diego. They wear these on Sundays and then with the oil symbol on the side. So this is my little pitching bag. He made a full equipment bag with it two but this is like where I kind of have all the all Star stuff in. So it's it's just cool because I forget what's in the bags. And as I as I was setting up for the show, I mean, I'm just kind of pulling stuff out of this bag and I'm like, I'm just really glad I kept all of it and it's all in good condition. Like I said, I can show my kids one day maybe they'll appreciate it. And my grandkids and I don't ever get to put this stuff on display. It's just kind of and at my house, I feel like it's weird kind of showing this stuff off. I don't know, it's just like, ah, it's just a weird thing I have. But it's I'm glad I'm able to hopefully show some of the OL fans some of the stuff that's there and just some cool stuff on the game. And it was it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, and I just am forever grateful to Ned Jos really for you know, electing me to join that team and just whoever was in the selection process, because it really meant the world to me, and it still means the world to me, and I'm just really glad to forever be mentioned with that. I mean, the lineup that you just talked about, the guys that are in that game, it was I almost feel like that year was a snapshot of that era of baseball when I played. I mean, it was every single superstar and you almost forget who was on the National League because you don't even get to spend time with those guys. You don't really even see them. So Steve, as you read that lineup, I almost forgot who was out there on the other side, and it's just it's just amazing that I got the line up on the same line with those guys, and on top of it, the same line that I did my first ever opening day with, you know, at San Diego. It was the cherry on top of everything, and it was just just an unreal experience that I still have hard time putting into words. As I talk about.
Speaker 1: It, Man, we can hear the pride in your voice, and it should be there, because in twenty sixteen you had the best.
Speaker 2: Year of a great career.
Speaker 1: It was actually a great career, forty second round draft pick to have played as long as you did and did what you did, but never as good as twenty sixteen individually for you. You just look at the stats. Those fans go back and look two of five RA ten wins relief pitcher through seventy nine innings in twenty sixteen. Brad was doing it all for a great orial team. And as we watch you or struggle now I'm not taking a shot these guys, it just makes those fans appreciate so much more winning times because you realize how special it is and how fleeting. It can be and you're not guaranteed to win or be great every year player or a team. So looking back on that ten years later, Brad, that was special for me. I bet for you too, Tim.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, that was great, A great stuff Forrad.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that, Thanks Tim, And thanks to Dogo for his cameo. He can come on the SIDEWI we dogs are too terrible. Dogs are humans too on this show, Tim, We love them, so they can come around anytime, hang out with us. But thanks for watching today, ohs fans. Great trip down memory Lane with Brad from the twenty sixteen All Star Game, a couple of days ahead of the latest edition, so that was really fun.
Speaker 2: Today. We'll talk to you soon with
Speaker 1: Another edition of Birdland Territory