Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Saturday, August seventeenth. The Ravens beat the Atlanta Falcons in the second game of the preseason. They won thirteen to twelve at M and T Bak Stadium. After the win, head coach John Harball met with the media during the press conference.
Speaker 2: Okay, appreciate everybody being here. I mean, it's three h eight. Is that crazy or what I'm all about it? Man, Let's play all these games at noon. Let's get to go.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a good night for a lot of fans tonight. So good effort, a lot to look at. It's just all about, like I told you, guys, it's all about going back now and studying how guys, how we played individually, then how we operated in terms of learning experiences and different things that come up for situational football and apply them to the rest of the team. So that's where we'll be at tomorrow. And I'm proud of the guys. Tavis make it the made the big play on the two point play, which is great to see, and then d Wade making the catch and just a great throw, and all of it's been really really good in terms of those plays right there.
Speaker 3: Big important guys you know, they know come down to that last play for them to be successful. Yeah, it is. It's big.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know obviously when you're successful with something that gives you confidence, the next step is to be successful throughout the game and look at a look at it play by play and see where you're successful and where you need to work. But it's very meaningful for for the guys. I mean, those guys are the guys. This is their future, it's their opportunity and they want to make the most of it.
Speaker 3: About how you trust him? How think you play that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I thought he played really well.
Speaker 2: I mean Josh did a great job, guys on a few plays here and there, had a chance to uh move the team down the field twice really well. Had the unfortunate snap and be the kindest word I could use to say to give it, but uh uh that was that stopped the one drive so the first one. So yeah, that Josh played.
Speaker 3: Well the job. He wasn't clear what was your impression?
Speaker 2: Seemed like he was out there and was a factor. You know, it looked like he was uh really stout against the run. Thought he set some edges really well, had his eyes back inside, falling back when the ball tried to get in the sea gap a few times, and then uh pass rush was a factor out there, had some pressures.
Speaker 3: You look good.
Speaker 5: How encouraging is that when you know you've seemi practice Obviously he's doing there, but would get a good game situation.
Speaker 2: That's a great point.
Speaker 3: I mean, Brian's exactly right.
Speaker 2: It's great in practice and you're excited about especially in pads, but in the game is when it's football, you know, so to see guys step up in games is really important. That's why the games do have a lot of value.
Speaker 6: All along those lines. These eyes are it's been a long time coming for him.
Speaker 3: A different others, uh a game situation on to take out his story, Yeah, it's the same.
Speaker 2: I mean, he be he was, He was a factor, you know, rushing the passer run game.
Speaker 3: He's a big guy.
Speaker 2: You know, he's explosive. He's still he's not as far along as David is as far as the conditioning part of it, cause he had the hamstring and uh so there's gonna be He's gonna be sort of tomorrow, I'm quite sure. Uh hopefully we can get him back in time t for next week, just because you know, that's that's off to get out there and and uh work that kind of work, that kind of playing a real game with that kind of explosive is that kind of speed and all that's hot out there, uh without as much conditioning. So I do worry about that a little bit with him, But I'm happy about the way he plays. Sure look good. He he's kind of got to start there.
Speaker 3: You know, it was really late in the game. Was already update on him because.
Speaker 2: We saw him go to Yeah, he's just kind of cramping up and stuff. So we'll just have to see how he how he feels tomorrow.
Speaker 4: How did Emory kind of respond after last week and and then he gets way more today?
Speaker 7: Obviously that worked out that way.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll tell you one of thing, one of the main things about Emory is he's he's a even keeled, level headed guy, you know, very smart, very uh just mindful of of uh keeping his cool, you know, the guy. I thought after the game and I talked to me, did that even after that play, which was crazy, and then uh all week in practice and then go out and playing well, today.
Speaker 8: So I know you haven't seen the film, but anything you say about officsive line, what you saw as far as.
Speaker 2: The performances, Yeah, I mean, really, you gotta go back and watch the tape of those guys. There were some good plays and some bad play. He's in tay you see the tape.
Speaker 4: Real you don't know John holistically.
Speaker 5: You know with the preseason game, we've seen support with camp.
Speaker 4: How are you feeling about this group of backup quarterbacks?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And going into season which you know looks like I'm confident that those guys. I'm confident in all of our players. That's why they're here.
Speaker 6: Oh what people say about like Davis Robinson's played at the end and just just played throughout the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tavius is uh. You know, he's the kind of guy that you look for. He's the kind of mindset, the kind of style of play certainly that we look for. So if you wanna talk about playing like a raven, that's a that's a term that you wanna use, just tag it right next to his name. You know, he's he's that kind of guy.
Speaker 3: I know, cause words incited to see Gioga Argy out there.
Speaker 2: What were some of your initial impressions and.
Speaker 3: What are you to do for the specialty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can kind of see that where's where he's gonna he's gonna have a good feel for what he's doing. I mean it's tough on the kickoff returns cause he caught two going back toward the the end zone. In a real game where i'na let those fly into the end zone, I'm sure most of the time, unless we're set up for or a deep kick return, which we weren't on those plays. So but you know, the part returns, he looked good. He's natural quick, he's got great visions, so it was good to see him out there and get some reps.
Speaker 3: On the kickoff where Justin was pedalized.
Speaker 6: Was he was he just going for something and the execution didn't turn out or what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was trying to drive the ball down there and line it down there, and he's kind of kind of just, you know, captain a little too much more than he should have. So, I mean, it's all part of trying to figure this thing out. I think it's all new.
Speaker 4: We saw Devantes walking dress, but maybe not play a whole lot.
Speaker 2: Is he still coming back or Yeah, he's got a little injury, a little rib injuries dealing with.
Speaker 3: So that's where he's at.
Speaker 1: In the locker room. We also had a chance to hear from Tavius Robinson, who sealed the wind by coming up with a big stop on a two point conversion play late in the fourth quarter. He talked about that play in his development as an outside linebacker.
Speaker 4: He just specifically, what did you say on that two point play?
Speaker 7: So the tackle went down and so on that play that means that I like scream off his hip. So I saw him go down the tight end arc me and then I went straight to the running back to make the play there.
Speaker 2: So so this at this level, at this stage of your career, this stage of this person, how big is that for you person?
Speaker 6: Right? Huge?
Speaker 7: I mean I think, you know, confidence wise, and I think confidence just kind of kind of grows every day. You know, it's been a good camp just getting better. You know, all of us been, you know, sharpening iron every day. So it's been good for sure.
Speaker 1: John Harble said that if you kind of look up play like a raven, your guy that embodies that, how how would you describe your mindset and your mentality?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, first of all, that means a ton. That's definitely how I try to play every day and how I approach every day. But uh, I think it's just being relentless and everything you do. You know, So when I'm on that field, I'm always trying to run to the ball like I'm the one making the play, and uh, you know, every aspect of this football I just I just take so seriously, you know, whether it's film, weight room meetings every day, So it's just giving that effort in everything is kind of what I think.
Speaker 1: So you can of play like that kind of be a springboard you as you you know, go into the season and go into the regular season.
Speaker 7: Well, it was definitely, yeah, I think it played like that, you know, keeps building my confidence and just carry over into the regular season for sure, Davis.
Speaker 4: Just to feel much different for you this year versus last year. Yeah, how so much more different. I was telling people that the other day.
Speaker 7: Actually, just uh, you know, I remember this time last year being so nervous before games and like kind of playing slow and like not knowing what to expect. But now, you know, being through a whole season, it's and you know, I know it's a long season. I know how the weeks go. So it's just feel a lot more more comfortable on the field most for sure.
Speaker 1: So you weren't supposed to be on the field for that, right, You came in because the DESA went out.
Speaker 5: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember Chuck was saying you never passed up a rep.
Speaker 1: So so when a DESA came out, and you know, it's like, hey, game online, two point conversion, what's what?
Speaker 4: How do you look at that opportunity?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it was an opportunity to win the game. So when the decent went down, you know, I ran out there and you know, we just made sure that I knew what my job was and you know, did whatever I could to help the team get the win, for sure.
Speaker 4: So Lisa played pretty well up to that point. What did you see from him today? What did you like about the way he played? Yeah, I think he's gonna be a great player too.
Speaker 7: You know, he plays He played a lot of special teams today as well too, So I think he's a great young player and he's going to continue to grow.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: Have you seen anything from him in camp or just up to this point that kind of made your confidence coming in like ye's gonna he's gonna be good in that debut.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he's a dog, Like seeing him in camp, the way he runs to the ball, how physically he is, you know how we strive to play up front.
Speaker 4: He's got that. So he's going to be a great addition to our d line for sure.
Speaker 6: What did it mean to the outside linebacker room to get David Jabo out there and his first game since last year's injury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was huge too, you know, seeing him back out there after his injury.
Speaker 7: You know, he made a couple of plays and he was feeling good out there, so it was good to be out there talking with him on the field.
Speaker 4: That will start there, and yeah, happy for him for sure.
Speaker 1: We also heard from quarterback Josh Johnson, who went eleven of eleven on the day, also through a touchdown pass. He talked about his performance in the play of.
Speaker 8: The offense, like everything all the little details, but it takes to be efficient in the passing game, and I felt like we took the work.
Speaker 3: From practice onto the field. So if you feel good about.
Speaker 6: That to come back from I think it was the bad snapping and the drive after to to drive down there and go seventy yards with that touchdown Just kind of what does that say about the offense and kind of bouncing back in those moments.
Speaker 8: You know, we know, we we know we have what it takes, but now it's just about consistently doing it. And uh, like with our group is spec you know specifically, it's a lot of guys that's that's new, like, uh from the backups perspective, and so you know, we just wanted to you know, keep but there was nothing. We hurt ourselves and that when you hurt ourselves, you know, you just focus on the adjustment that's necessary and you go back out and get back to doing what we was doing.
Speaker 2: We're just moving the ball key to have that after you know, some sloppy play early on, to get better from that and to kind of learn from it.
Speaker 3: I mean that's what it is all about this point, right. Yeah, this game is full of adversity.
Speaker 8: I mean, you guys know, uh, sometimes you have a slow start and you can finish strong. Sometimes you finish start fast and don't finish at all. But what we did, we we we didn't we didn't let it compile.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: We actually we just you know locked in one another and focused on getting our job done, and we was able to do that.
Speaker 3: That's the most important.
Speaker 5: Think you feel like you've shown about yourself and how you fit in this offense in year two with Toddmunkin, they know I can handle everything that's you know, that's expected in regards to, you know, the operation.
Speaker 3: Of the offense. You know my style of play.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm not exciting as Lemar and nobody is, but uh, in regards to making the plays that's necessary, I will do that. And then you know, for me my experience, I use my experience to my advantage of just being able to know what the defense is doing, knowing where guys should be, knowing how to handle protections, all those different things.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I just try to make sure that I bring that to the practice, practice to the game every day.
Speaker 2: Emory, last week it's one snap, it's a strip sack. Is I mean first time on the field that happens to for him to come back today played the way he did.
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 2: Talking to him on the sideline seeing him do that.
Speaker 3: I was excited for the young fella because we see it every day.
Speaker 8: We know him got all the skills, make all the throws, show his talented every day. You know, it was just some unfortunate situation. But like I like, you know, like all of us, he responds, He came back, He responded. He was real, calm, cool, collected out there. He took his film work to the game, and he was able to go out there and put on a good show on something.
Speaker 5: Heavy fun coming off with the last week, How big was that for you to you know, have this perfect passing day and really get the offense going.
Speaker 8: It was just you know, you you for me, it was just just doing me. Like you know, I was frustrated last week. I know, I expect more of myself, I expect more of this offense. But I also know, you know, there was things that we had to grow on as a unit, and I felt like we focused on that. We didn't focus on the things you know that we know, you know, it just showed up in the game and it happened to just be that day. It was a rough day, but those days, you know, he got another opportunity. We move on past it and we improved in which we did that and now we want to stack.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens press past podcast, head over to the Lounge podcast feed is Ryan Make and I do a full breakdown of everything that we saw out there on the field today and give you an indication of who's gonna make this team when the fifty three man roster is decided later this summer. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back with you on Monday.