Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern.
Speaker 2: On Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 1: Or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Israel sends more troops into Gaza. Welcome to the fastest show in politics, as Israeli forces also conductor raid in the West Bank and another airstrike in Syria as the war with Hamas enters a new phase. We're joined by Brett Brewin, former US diplomat now President of the Global Situation Room for the latest on this speaker, Mike Johnson says he will bring Israeli funding as a standalone bill to the House floor this week. And the latest polling from Iowa shows Nicki Hayley on the ascent in a field that no longer includes Mike Pence. Analysis today from our panel Bloomberg Politics contributor Republican strategist Rick Davis, joined by Alvin Jordan, Vice president at Rock Solutions Democratic Strategy. We've got a lot to cover on this Monday, Let's get to it. Welcome to Monday, the Monday edition of Bloomberg Sound On. I'm Joe Matthew in Washington, where again we're painting out of several buckets today and we'll bring you the latest on Israel, on the new Republican speaker, and the agenda ahead for the House. No one in town right now. Lawmakers don't come back until Wednesday, as a matter of fact, and of course the campaign trail with new numbers today following Mike Pence dropping out of the race over the weekend. So let's get to it. We begin in Israel as we prepare to bring in Brett Bruin. More Israeli forces have entered Gaza this headline crossing the terminal ten fifty five am local time. More forces rolling into Gaza, with the invasion advancing gradually and according to plan, according to spokesman Daniel Hagari, who says now two hundred and thirty nine people are thought to be held by Hamas. John Kirby, speaking for the National Defense Apparatus at the White House earlier today on ABC's Good Morning.
Speaker 4: America, the situation in Gaza is very perilous, which is why the President spoke to Prime Minister NETANYAHUO yesterday to make sure we can continue to accelerate that flow and increase that flow of humanitarian goods.
Speaker 3: The latest though on the terminal, Army says captive soldier freed in ground fight. This is brand new, Israel says, a female soldier held captive in Gaza was freed as the army extends ground operations in the territory. But of course we saw a lot happen over the weekend. We saw Israel conduct arraid in the West Bank. We saw another air strike in Syria. We also saw skirmishes to the north where there are great fears that a second front could be opening. And that's where we begin our conversation with Bret Bruin, the president of the Global Situation Room, former US diplomat, back with us here on Bloomberg. Brett, it's great to see you. This is the new phase as announced by Israel, and there's a lot of pressure, of course, coming upon Israel to spare the lives of Palestinian civilians. How is this going so far? How effective has this operation been?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Look, obviously news of the release of this Israeli soldier is encouraging and obviously will bolster Prime Minister net Nyahu and his efforts to expeditiously undertake an operation, and it's one Joe. I think it's important for listeners to take account of the fact that after nine to eleven, after the rise of ISIS in Iraq, there was no talk of a cease fire. There was no notion that a terrorist organization was going to be able to abide by those terms, or quite frankly, that we would be any better off, any safer in pursuing one. So Israel sees the situation through that lens, and it's an understandable one after having suffered the most significant terrorist attack on its soil since the founding of the Jewish State. So it obviously is a very difficult endeavor, and one that because of how Hamas has ensconced itself in and amongst civilians, obviously, you know these operations will have as a result a number, a high number of civilian casualties.
Speaker 3: AMAS says eight thousand, three hundred and six Palestinians have been killed since the seventh of October. Authorities in Gaza say more than three thousand of them children. Brett, This is a very difficult narrative here for an operation that's still widening to what extent Israel in fact trying to spare civilians' lives. We know we're talking about dense urban warfare and a pretty tall order for Israeli troops who are being sent into harm's way as well.
Speaker 6: And obviously those numbers are truly tragic and ones that speak to just how difficult these operations have been will be going forward. And yet obviously it is part of, unfortunately the kind of military operation that Hamas initiated. Hamas chose to reinitiate its attacks on Israel, and that led to the death of fourteen hundred civilians, capture, as you mentioned earlier, of two hundred and fifty odd civilians as well as soldiers. All of that creates what he is, without question, an extraordinarily difficult and dangerous situation. And it's why I think it's important that not only the US, but particularly regional partner are pressured to do more. You have to ask questions, For instance, why has Egypt made it so difficult to get humanitarian aid in let alone allowing gozens out. You have to wonder why there have not been more efforts by the likes of Saudi Arabia Kutar, as well as other Golf states and close US partners to try and pressure on both sides that there are fewer rocket attacks, that there is a commitment to swearing off the kinds of brutal tactics that were used in these attacks by Hamas.
Speaker 7: So I think there is.
Speaker 6: Obviously, as we often discussed, diplomacy has to be central to these efforts. Obviously the military operations are underway and will continue, but ultimately the solution is one that runs through diplomatic efforts.
Speaker 3: Is it really a realistic conversation though, Brett to be talking about sparing civilian in life when we're seeing the use of bunker busting bombs to try to get to these tunnels underneath Gaza, there are buildings on top of those tunnels, and when you start getting into civilians as human shields. The stated goal is to eliminate Hamas. Can you eliminate Hamas without killing scores more civilians?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 6: I think first the initial phase of the Israeli operation did unfortunately involve quite a number of air results. It's the same tactics that the US that our allies use, whether it was in Israel, Afghanistan, or in other places where ahead of sending in your troops you're going to want to take out some of those command and control points, some of those rocket batteries and other high value military targets. And yes, the images coming out of Gaza are absolutely horrific and we shouldn't lose sight of that.
Speaker 7: And we should as I think we.
Speaker 6: Have heard over the last several days and the last couple of weeks efforts by the Biden administration by other world leaders to impress upon Israel the importance of doing everything possible to limit civilian casualties, and I think we've seen some results to that, whether it was delaying in that initial invasion or in just the last couple of days restoration of telephone internet service into Gaza as well.
Speaker 3: I'm sure saw images from this airport in Russia over the weekend Brett Maka Kala, if I'm saying it right, capital of Dagistan, where a mob went on a rampage after a Red Wings plane from Tel Aviv arrived. There are images and video of crowd running through the airport chanting a la akbar, looking for Jews, trying to get onto the engine. Somebody got onto the wing of the airplane. They had to shut the entire airport down, and we have further news on this today Brett that Vladimir Putin is meeting with top government officials to address these anti Semitic protests in what we should notice a predominantly Muslim region of the country. John Kirby spoke about this earlier today on ABC. Here's what he said.
Speaker 4: It's certainly worrisome footage to see that all that hatred and potential violence against the Jewish passengers on an airplane. I mean, it's absolutely unacceptable, and I mean, these are two entities, Russia and AMAS, that want to white neighboring countries off the map.
Speaker 8: So that's it's very concerning.
Speaker 4: I don't know that there was any, you know, high level endorsement of that activity, but it's definitely definitely worrisome.
Speaker 3: He's referring to a meeting with Hamas that Vladimir Putin had, and I just wonder what you can tell us about all of this bread Obviously, this was chilling to see and something that we wouldn't have thought necessarily would have involved Vladimir Putin to the extent that it does here. But how concerned are you about what happened over the weekend in Russia?
Speaker 6: Absolutely was chilling and brought back echoes of the stories I used to hear from my grandparents who left Russia, Eastern Ukraine and Moldova at the time because of pagrums, those attacks that took place against Jews in various villages across Russia and neighboring countries. So this ought to set off alarm bells in capitals around the world. It ought to joe, I think, especially here in the US, where some of the rhetoric used by politicians on both sides of the Isle, whether it's in describing Israel's actions, whether it's in describing what Israel or the United States should do, need to be much much more careful. The language that I've seen in just the last couple of weeks in public statements and interviews as well as social tweets, is adding more fuel to this fire, is exacerbating and quite frankly, is endangering Americans with some of the suggestions like Vivekarswami Ramaswami over the weekend, who suggested what ought to be done and I'm not going to repeat it to Hamas soldiers, these kinds of very vicious, very just extreme descriptions of the situation. Quite frankly, inaccurate descriptions or ill considered descriptions are exacerbating the conditions and are a leading to the kind of mass hysteria that played out yesterday at that Russian airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mass hysteria is another good way of putting it. And this comes against the backdrop of calls for Benjamin Attania whose resignation Brett, while you're still with us, I wonder if you could speak to this as he is now apologizing for blaming security chiefs in a tweet that was then deleted. It's kind of a long story here, but he doesn't seem to be keeping the people of Israel with him. As I look at the Jerusalem Post, four of five Jewish Israelis believe the government and Prime Minister Netanya who are to blame for the mass infiltration of Hamas terrorists into Israel. How much trouble is he in?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: Without question, there will be a high political price to pay for what obviously details still to be forthcoming, but completely inacceptable, unacceptable that Hamas fighters could get into Israel. And ultimately the buck has to stop with that Yahoo at some point, through these investigations and ultimately a determination of accountability. I think both he as well as perhaps some of his cabinet members will be ushered out, and hopefully Israel is able to put forward a government that is going to both address the current crisis. But let's not forget, Joe, there are a lot of issues when it comes to settler activity, when it comes to the judicial reform that Netnyahu was pursuing beforehand, which have obviously created a very fragile foundation for democracy and for peace and stability in Israel.
Speaker 3: Brett, it's good to see you. Thanks for starting your week with us Brett Ruin of course, at the Global Situation Room here on Bloomberg Sound On. I'm Joe, Matthew and Washington. As we assemble our panel today, Rick Davis is with US Bloomberg Politics contributor Republican Strategist, joined by Democratic analyst Alvin Jordan, vice president at Rock Solutions. We'll have plenty of time to dive into this, though, Rick, I wonder your thoughts on what you saw over the weekend with the minute or so time that we have. Is this next phase just the tip of the iceberg? Or is this the ground invasion you were waiting for?
Speaker 10: Well, I think this is a ground invasion we were anticipating, but I'm not sure it represents just the next phase. I mean, this is such a multi phase.
Speaker 8: Attack plan that the Israelis have, and I.
Speaker 10: Would say that we have to give them time to really formulate that plan and let it see what happens when it hits the ground, what kind of opposition you'll get, whether or not they're successful with negotiating through the Kataris to get hostages at back.
Speaker 8: I mean, this is a multi stage.
Speaker 10: Effort, and I think that the ground forces being there, rolling up terrace elements within the Hamas organization is just one aspect of that.
Speaker 3: We'll have the deep dive next with our panel, not only what's happening on the ground in Israel, but here in Washington. Whether a request for funding will be taken up by the House this week, the new speaker talking about it over the weekend. That'll be Israel funding alone. However, I'm Joe Matthew. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern.
Speaker 11: On Bloomberg Radio, the tune in app, Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 12: And the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play. Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: The new Speaker of the House says he stands ready to pass aid for Israel as soon as this week. In fact, it looks like there will be a vote come Thursday. That's the reporting at Bloomberg. Mike Johnson speaking with Fox over the weekend, remembering that the supplemental request that came from the White House included funding for Israel, for Ukraine sixty billion dollars worth, also for Taiwan, and then the rest for border security. That's the way the Senate is tackling this, apparently not this Republican Ledhouse. Here's the new speaker.
Speaker 13: Well, listen, we're going to move a standalone Israel funding bill this week in the House. I know our colleagues are Republican. Colleagues in the Senate have a similar measure. We believe that that is a pressing and urgent need. There are lots of things going on around the world that we have to address, and we will, but right now, what's happening in Israel takes the immediate attention.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into this with our panel as the ground assaults in Israel enters a new phase, something we were just discussing with Brett Ruin. Rick Davis joins, of course, Bloomberg Politics contributor Republican Strategist today with Democratic analyst Alvin Jordan at Rock Solutions. Alvin, it's great to have you back. Thanks for joining the conversation. What's going to happen here? If the House decides to tackle Israel funding alone, knowing that the Senate and the White House see this differently, isn't this kind of inevitable how this is going to go? It'll slow things down until the combined bill actually becomes law at some point, or are these going to go one at a time, each cause gets its own piece of legislation.
Speaker 7: I think the hope truly is to have these go one at a time.
Speaker 14: And I think that the you know, news speaker correctly points out that by prioritizing the immediate need in this particular instance, that the turmoil in Israel I think demands is a you know, great place and a clear point of view. I think as far as you know, looking at the situation as it stands, and I think we would all hope that as opposed to kind of backlogging and jamming this up a bit more, that this would free it up and just kind of set the basis for an understanding that we kind of have to tackle, you know, kind of one bite at the elephant at at a time.
Speaker 3: Rick, It's not lost on us that Mitch McConnell is appearing today Louisville with Oksana Markarova, the Ukrainian Ambassador of the US, who is no stranger to American media. This new speaker is going to have a real issue with the Republican leader in the Senate, isn't he.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's got an issue, you know, with the approach that Speaker Johnson's taking by taking these one by one. But he's also got a problem with his own Senate Republican caucus. Just recently, jd Vance, Mike Lee, Ted Cruz from Texas, they all indicated a willingness to move forward right away with an Israeli bill to fund that supplemental request and to do it on an independent basis.
Speaker 8: So, in addition to problems.
Speaker 10: He's got in the House of Representatives moving forward on a standalone basis with israel funding, he's got a sort of back effort in the Senate that he has to stall in order to just make sure his own caucus is on his side.
Speaker 3: Well, you do wonder how this is going to come together, and if Ukrainian funding reaches the sixty billion or so that the President is looking for, much of that's going to be spent domestically. Alvin, and I wonder if you see the messaging coming out of the White House as being effective here when you hear not another dollar for Ukraine from some on Capitol Hill, They're not thinking about our own munitions here, our own stockpiles, and our own work with American defense contractors. Do you agree?
Speaker 14: I think the important part to remember here is, you know, just taking a step back, are you know, kind of new speaker has already shown the ability to unite what seemingly seems to be a kind of divided group, And so I think you have to kind of look at the statements from the administration and from the President kind of with that same lens as if it is very clear where the administration and where the president president wants this to go from a funding standpoint. But we really, I think, have to do the work in prioritizing what exactly.
Speaker 7: That means considering just.
Speaker 14: The amount of not just funding that we've already sent out out of the door, but just considering the turmoil that the world is in and the amount of assistance that will be needed. I think anything hasty that kind of overlooks that true point is just, you know, not in the in the best interest holistically, you know, at this given time.
Speaker 3: Well, when you take a look at some of the other items facing the new Speaker as soon as this week, it looks like an interesting party here, Rick. It also includes not just an effort to fund the government with a shutdown looming on November seventeenth, and we can talk about that, of course, but three privileged resolutions, one to expel George Santos, two others to censure members Marjorie Taylor Green and Representative to Lee, who I realize is not a Republican in this case. But the Speaker still has to herd cats in this House of Representatives. Should all of these come to the floor, and what happens when they do?
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, Look, I mean these are most of the junk resolutions. They're not going to pass. They'll get scheduled in due course by the Rules Committee. And they'll come up in regular business. So I don't think those things are going to sort of slow him down. And I would be shocked if he took any of his time and prestiges the brand new Speaker of the House to even address them much publicly, right, I mean, they are these are sort of leftovers, you know, from a period of time that he's trying to avoid, which is sort of the Balkanization of both parties fighting with each other internally and then taking those fights out, you know, on the floor of the on the floor of the House. So he's got his work cut out for him to be able to accomplish this. But every indication I've got from his his allies on Capitol Hill is that he's going to resist as much as he can these kinds of public stunts and try to get some of the business done, knowing that you know, as you say, Joe, we've got to fund the government. We've got to fund Ukraine, We've got a fund Israel, we've got to fund the border problems.
Speaker 8: There's a real need.
Speaker 10: To act in the House to catch up to where the Senate is on these appropriations bills. I mean, he's got other things to worry about that actually have real upside for the country.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a Congressman from Ohio named Max Miller. He wants to change the threshold on the motion to vacate. This is, of course, how Kevin McCarthy got fired, and it's still technically hanging over the speaker here to force one hundred and twelve members in this case of the majority or minority to sign onto the resolution to fire a speaker of the House. Does that need to happen? Alvin? Will it happen?
Speaker 7: I hope it doesn't happen.
Speaker 14: I think, just as we've seen just up until this point, just how much this really just muddies the waters and just gives a larger barrier, you know, to injury. As far as allowing the speaker to do their job, I think, you know, more than anything right now, you know, kind of the collaboration and the work across the aisle just really matters more than anything. And I think given any kind of you know, credence or just look back to to these types of things, I think just slows the process. So you would like for you know, for us to find ourselves in a place where this isn't something that continues to kind of become that dark cloud over the speakership, if you will.
Speaker 3: I think he wants to make it more difficult though, and actually raise the threshold. Is that something you'd support to give the speaker a slightly easier ride here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean in that way. Sure.
Speaker 14: I just think that up until this point we really need to I mean we're talking about you know, funding and sending money out of the door and just you know, finding ourselves in a place where we're working collaborative, collaboratively, and so I just think that in this particular instance, sure, you know, making it a hearder threshold is fine, but we really need to kind of, you know, pass this topic of discussion which seems to keep creeping back up into discussion.
Speaker 3: Well what do you do, then, Rick, do you raise the threshold or get rid of it all together?
Speaker 10: Well, you can't get rid of it all together, but there are mechanisms to make it more difficult, if not downright unfeasible, And and and again they probably ought to do that. They should have done it the day Johnson got elected. Every day that goes by, guys like Matt Gaets get a little bit more oxygen.
Speaker 8: I mean he's been chastised, right.
Speaker 10: I mean, here's one guy who was more desperate to get a speaker elected than anybody else because he was to blame for three and a half weeks of complete, you know, misfunctioned malfunction, lack of function of the House of Representatives. I mean, that's a heck of a burden to carry around with you for the balance your term.
Speaker 8: So I suspect that.
Speaker 10: There's nobody who's really keen to exercise a motion of vacate right now, and so they ought to just clean that up. But again, you know, I don't think there's any there there right now. I think between now and the end of the year, you know, they've got so much business to do that there is a sense, as Alvin said, of a new spree of corps to get things done a little bit of by partisanship hopefully, And I think it'll be mostly tested by this Ukraine resolution. Will the Speaker put a Ukraine resolution on the floor without a majority of the Republicans supporting it, because it'll pass overwhelmingly with almost the entire Democratic caucus backing it. But will we allow a bipartisan solution?
Speaker 3: We will find out. Rick Davis, Alvin Jordan. Great panel, they stayed with us. As we turn to the campaign trail next, new numbers from IOWA and Selzer's latest just out, and of course it's all about number two. We'll have a lot more on that ahead.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app and the Bloomberg Business App, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: Prime Minister Benjamin Netan Yahoo just wrapped up a news conference in Israel, generating a couple of headlines on the terminal for starters and not a surprise. He says he will not agree to any cease fire with Hamas and getting to one of the issues we were speaking to earlier, calls for his resignation after over the weekend apologizing for blaming Israeli military and intelligence officials for the Hamas terror attack and missing the cues that might have led to it. Dismissing calls for his resignation as Prime minister officially, he says he is working for Hamas to resign. I'm Joe Matthew in Washington. Thanks for being with us on Bloomberg's sound on the war with Hamas was a huge issue over the weekend in Las Vegas, as the Republican candidate spoke to the RJC, the Republican Jewish Coalition, Nicki Haley among others speaking to the crowd. Donald Trump was there. He said he would reinstate the Muslim ban if re elected. Nicki Haley went after the former president for his remarks recently about Benjamin Ettanya Who and Hamas.
Speaker 9: While the polls are notable, principles matter a lot more.
Speaker 15: As president, I will not compliment Hesbla.
Speaker 9: Nor will I criticize Israel's prime minister in the middle of a tragedy in.
Speaker 3: War not exactly a standing ovation, but she wasn't booed for it either. As we reassemble our panel, Rick Davis and Alvin Jordan Rick, of course, Republican strategist, Alvin Democratic analyst from Rock Solutions. This is a must stop, Rick, obviously when you're speaking to the arch They each took their own path here, and of course Mike Pence made some news dropping out of the race, and that really kind of became the headline for the campaign over the weekend. I don't know, if you were expecting the former vice president to be the next one to drop here. But how important is that for this whole conversation that we're having. Other than former President Trump and Nikki Haley, he was the only one with direct foreign policy experience on that stage.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's you know, it's important to note that, You're right. I mean, he had incredible foreign policy chops. You know, the four years he spent with President Trump, he was all over the world developing these relationships, and he just wasn't able to gain traction in Iowa, a very key state, especially for midwesterner like himself. And I thought it was actually very impressive that he took the RJC conference to announce that he was suspending his campaign, because that would have been a group that I think, you know, probably would have been more supportive of Vice President Pence than most of the Republican crowds you have, especially during a crisis like this, and especially due to the fact that he was such a strong supporter of Israel throughout his political career, but especially as vice president, so all that lined up perfectly for him. I think that it does put more focus onto Nikki Haley, one of the very few other Republicans besides the President himself, who have actionable foreign policy experience, and she's been willing to make it a case for that on the campaign trail, even before the war broke out in Israel. So she's she got to that trough first. Obviously the president has made President Trump has made many missteps along the way, especially related to this current fight in for Gaza and against Hamas, and so yeah, advantage Nicki Hayley consolidation is important to her. Getting the spotlight on her commander in chief credentials is important to her, and showing a true contrast with the president, as she did in her speech at DRJC, was I think a really good weekend for her.
Speaker 3: Well, she certainly has a good showing in this and Selzer poll. This is NBC news. Des Moines register shows Donald Trump dominating the field. That's not news. He's leading everyone by nearly thirty percent, but Nicky Haley rising into second place to ty Ron de Santis at sixteen percent, tied at second. Reminding you that in August, Nicky Haley was at six percent in this poll, Ron DeSantis was at nineteen percent, and so Alvin when this really starts to be looking like a second place coalescing around Nicky Haley. Is that not Joe Biden's great worry right now? He wants to run a against Donald Trump. Does a Republican nominee named former ambassador, former governor Nicki Haley keep him up at night?
Speaker 7: I think it absolutely has to keep him up at night.
Speaker 14: I think any you know, formidable politician with as you mentioned, kind of the chops to match and the resume to match is exactly you know what the Democrats and Joe Biden just don't want to see.
Speaker 7: I know we've kind of, you know, joked.
Speaker 14: In in our back and forth that this was, you know, has been at least a race to second place. But I think as you know, Nikki Haley's base grows and she continues to outpace kind of what is that second tier group? I think you definitely have to get a little bit bit nervous if you're the Biden team, for sure.
Speaker 3: What do you think of the results of this pull Rick, the trajectory for Ronda Santis and the trajectory for Nicki Haley or hard to.
Speaker 8: Deny, Yeah, it is hard to deny.
Speaker 10: I mean, Desanta's has been you know, sort of just going nowhere. And we've been talking about the phenomena that he has because he has to make a mark in Iowa. He doesn't have another state to really campaign in. All his one hundred million dollar super pack is getting spent in Iowa and the fact that he's actually ticking down in this survey is really bad news for him. In reverse, Nikki Hayley, who's actually been making moves in New Hampshire and actually we've seen in public polls increasing her capacity and even outstripping DeSantis in New Hampshire, now can add Iowa as a potential battleground because she almost doubled the amount of support that she had since the last de Wine registered poll and frankly, with very good underlying data a little bit, I've been able to dig in on this pole. I mean, she doubled her numbers with Independence, while everybody else either went down or stayed the same.
Speaker 8: So you know, Independence makeup.
Speaker 10: Almost a quarter of all the caucus goers and it's a it's a likely group that would really attach themselves to her, and all the while, nobody else in the field moving No, Chris Christy, no, Right, Vivic Ramaswami none, of these other people have made any progress.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 3: Of course, Mike Pence is out, so we'll see where his couple of percentage points go in Iowa with Rick Davis and Alvin Jordan. I'm Joe Matthew. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern.
Speaker 11: On Bloomberg Radio, the tune in alf, Bloomberg dot Com, and.
Speaker 12: The Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: Speaker Mike Johnson has got a long to do list, but what can he get done? Welcome to hour two of Sound On. As the new Speaker of the House promises a standalone bill to fund Israel on the House floor this week, even as the Senate moves in another direction and a government shut down looms. Just what three weeks away. We're joined by Jack Fitzpatrick, Bloomberg government appropriations and Congress expert, and we'll have our weekly conversation with Nick mulvaney, co founder of the Freedom Caucus, former acting Chief of Staff in the Trump White House. Three up and three down. You might have heard it. GM cuts a tentative deal with the UAW that takes care of all three of the big three automakers. We'll be joined by Arthur Wheaton, director of Labor Studies at Cornell, and his expertise on the way forward.
Speaker 12: Here.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our two of Bloomberg Sound on Monday edition. It doesn't feel like a Monday at all.
Speaker 15: Kaylee, Oh, it very much does.
Speaker 3: Kaylee lines is with us, of course. The thing is, Kaylee has an excuse. Kaylee ran a marathon over the weekend. I slept through the weekend and I feel like I need another weekend though. Half marathon. Congratulations. You do this like every weekend though, if you have a Saturday, Kaylee, as a marathon. It's completely the way things work around here. You know, you're just killing time for the appropriations to begin, exactly. I understand how this works. Well. We did get a speaker last week, and that was a big deal around here. Now the speaker's got a menu here of things that a lot of people are asking for, and it's unclear exactly how all of this is going to work and whether the government will stay open through November seventeenth, though I know Jack is going to tell us that it will happen right well?
Speaker 16: He very well, mae should, we asked Jack, Well, we certainly can't rotate some share there He is now Jack Fitzpatrick Bloomberg Government from next door on K Street.
Speaker 3: It's good to see you, sir, Thanks for coming in. Not a big shocker to hear Mike Johnson say over the weekend he wants to stand alone vote on Israel funding. He said last week what buyfei or kate was the word he used. Now speaking with Fox News, he does it again. Just for good measure. Here's Mike Johnson when asked about the big request for money for Israel, Ukraine, Taiwan and the border.
Speaker 13: Well, listen, we're going to move a standalone Israel funding bill this week in the House. I know our colleagues are Republican colleagues in the Senate have a similar measure. We believe that that is a pressing and urgent need. There are lots of things going on around the world that we have to address, and we will, but right now, what's happening in Israel takes the immediate attention.
Speaker 3: So how is this going to work when the Senate apparently wants to do it the way the President is asking. Mitch McConnell is appearing in Louisville today with the Ukrainian ambassador to the US to make the point, do we already have a standoff?
Speaker 17: This is a fight. I'm not sure it is the fight. On one hand, yes, the President said, give me a bunch of things all in one, and there are lawmakers who think it makes sense to put Israel, Ukraine, US Mexico border, Taiwan, and the Indo Pacific funding all together in one big thing. House Republican leadership clearly does not agree. But I remember just a week ago or so a group of House Republicans who are pretty pro Ukraine. They were led by Dan Crenshaw, sort of defense hawks, said the real question is can we get a deal on Ukraine with the border stuff.
Speaker 3: That's the political trade off.
Speaker 17: So that the neoliberal neoconservative people get what they want in a Ukraine package, the more hardline conservatives get what they want in a border measure. And I do not think that separating Israel necessarily makes everything collapse. They can do multiple bills, but there's still this opportunity to maybe bring the two wings together if Ukraine and borders still go together.
Speaker 16: Okay, so you're talking about multiple bills here in terms of supplemental funding, but there's also a number of bills to contend with in terms of appropriations. I know they're going to try to pass a couple more this week, right What exactly is the sequencing here?
Speaker 17: We don't know yet how much the House is actually going to sincerely try to do.
Speaker 3: There was a detailed.
Speaker 17: Plan by Mike Johnson put Forth as he was running for speaker that said, here's how we're going to pass all our bills by November seventeenth. The House is not actually coming back this week until Wednesday, and they are going to vote, he said, on this Israel measure which then leaves out Ukraine and the border by Thursday. They are going to have to vote this week.
Speaker 1: They have to.
Speaker 17: Legally vote within two legislative days on the expulsion of George Santos because of a measure that was filed that requires a vote on that. So there's a plan to vote on three more regular appropriations bills in the House. There are a lot of distractions though, and that's also the case in the Senate. They've got about ten amendments left to go on the Senate on this three bill package, so it's pretty slow going.
Speaker 3: Before we bring in Mick mulvaney, I want to ask you about the motion to vacate. There's a new effort I guess, to increase the threshold on the motion. Does that have support in the House after this whole saga we just lived through.
Speaker 17: That wasn't answered clearly during the speaker fight, and given that Mike Johnson did not make his candidacy contingent on people agreeing to change that, that seems more like a conversation that has to happen rather than something that's going to be forced in action sometime soon.
Speaker 16: It was interesting in that interview he did with Sean Hannity last week, though there was a moment in there and it was Hannity was getting ready to ask another question, but Mike Johnson was kind of like, I think we're going to change it.
Speaker 15: I think we're going to change it, and then that's kind of going to do.
Speaker 3: So we'll see Jack. Great to see you, Thanks as always. Jack Fitzpatrick our colleague at Bloomberg Government, right next door Congress reporter who specializes in appropriations, not unlike Mick mulvaney who's with us now, each Mondy at this time, the former OMB director. I'm just putting that first, because I never do. The co founder of the Freedom Pop is for the acting chief of Yeah, there's something else in here I could put in front of it. It's good to see you, Mick. As always, before we get into the real work. Does this motion to vacate actually change? There's an effort right now. I believe it's Max Miller of Ohio who says this should this should require one hundred and twelve members. Do you agree?
Speaker 18: Well, that was the rule under Nancy Pelosi. I think she'd changed it to the majority of the majority. Other than that brief, I think it was two or four year period. Every speaker in history had to deal with the motion made by one person, and there's a lot of weight of history there. Then the question is not the number of people, it's the people you've got. So's I'd be curious to Jack still listening. I don't remember. I've been out of the House now about seven years. I don't remember how to change the rules in the middle of a Congress. I think the burden is higher the boat burden is higher during a Congress to change the rules than it is at the outset of every Congress. Typically at the beginning of each congress, right after they pick a speaker, what happens is they adopt the rules package for that Congress for that two year congress, and they usually don't change that during the two years, but they can. I just think there's a higher burden, and if there is, it's highly unlikely you're going to change this.
Speaker 5: Look, everybody I've talked to said that while you know.
Speaker 18: That they're watching Mike very closely, I'm sure the appropriates are watching Mike very closely. Folks in the center of the Republican Party watching him extraordinarily closely and will hold him his feet to the fire. I'm making sure things work in the folks I talk to Joe Gaily, I don't get the impression there's a lot of appetite right now for either changing the rules on the speaker or more importantly, having another speaker vote. I think Mike Johnson is going to be the speaker for the rest of this Congress, and then this discussion will go over into what happens after the next election.
Speaker 16: Okay, mix, So if we operate under that assumption that it will be Speaker Johnson at least until twenty twenty five, how much power and influence does Speaker Johnson really have, considering a lot of people didn't even really know who he was before he ultimately got the gabble. Is this really going to be Speaker Johnson in the front and Steve Scalice is the man behind the curtain.
Speaker 15: How do you think the power dynamics are going to work here?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 18: You know no, I mean that both Louisiana I assumainly know each'all. Again, I don't know Mike Johnson very well. He got there just as I was leaving. I know Steve Scaleze very well. My guess is to answer your question that Mike Johnson will have roughly the same amount of authority that Kevin McCarthy had. It's an institutional sort of authority. What does the speaker get to do? He gets to pick which bills come to the floor. He gets to a sort of as he's heavily involved in the committee chairmanships, but those have already been set. So the Speaker has some authority, but not a tremendous amount of authority, especially when the margins are this tight, keep in mind Nancy Pelosi did not have a lot of authority when she was Speaker, and that sounds strange to say it, so let me take two seconds to explain why that is. She only had a margin of four or five votes. And while she had more control over her conference than Kevin McCarthy did or Mike Johnson will, she still had to essentially bring stuff to the floor that everybody could vote for. She couldn't pass anything that was controversial within her party. She had a sort of go wherever her majority point at her. And that's the same sort of environment that Kevin was in. It will be the same environment that my Johnson is in.
Speaker 3: Cool a lot there, And I wonder your thoughts on Ukraine funding, specifically with Mitch McConnell. I keep referring to this, Mick, but I think it's fascinating he's spending time appearing with Oksana Markoova today in Kentucky. Of course, Ukraine's ambassador to the US, who is a known entity in our media here and has been for the better part of two years. This is not something that he's going to drop very easily. Is the Speaker do you think already in touch with the Senate Republican leader on.
Speaker 18: This, Oh, sure, one hundred percent. I think Jack actually in your previous segment hit the nail on the head. Is that, Look, a lot of Republican members, a lot of congressmen and women from both parties don't like these monster deals right where you throw a bunch of crap in a bill, and if I want to get the one thing i'd like, I have to vote for nine things that I don't like.
Speaker 5: They don't like that.
Speaker 18: It perverts the process. That's a bipartisan sort of objection. So you hear the speakers say I want to split off funding for Israel, My guess is there's going to be a good level of support for that. That does not necessarily kill Ukraine funding because, as Jack pointed out, it still allows the folks in the Senate to talk about marrying Ukraine funding with the border. So you could have instead of one monster bill, you might have two. You'd have one for Israel, which is a relatively small bill. Keep on the funding for Israel's about fourteen billion dollars or roughly twelve percent of the overall bill. Have one bill for Israel, and then another bill for Ukraine married with a border. That's the type of thing that sounds like it might have some life to it and allow everybody to have their own vote, vote yes on one, no on the other. But the House in the Senates still get to work their will without forcing down a monster omnibus bill down a lot of people's throats. So I'm cautiously optimistic that sounds like it is the way that things should play out.
Speaker 16: So it's going to come down to the math and whether or not any of those individual things can get the adequate number of votes. And while we're thinking about numbers and counting Votesmick, knowing all that work needs to be done, that there's so many bills that they're going to need to pass, is there any real chance that the Republicans kicked George Santos out of the House and narrow their margin even further.
Speaker 5: Ooh, really good question.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 18: I think Mike Johnson had said early on that that wasn't going to be a priority, that other stuff to do.
Speaker 16: I no longer the Expulsion resolution could come to the floor this week, And I just wonder how many people are going to vote.
Speaker 18: Yeah, the questions are they going to Kaylee, and I'm asking you a question I don't know the answer to.
Speaker 5: Is that a privileged motion? Do they have to vote on it?
Speaker 16: Yes, two legislative days is our understanding.
Speaker 18: So it's sort of like the same as the motion of vacate. It has to sit for forty eight for two days to ripen, but then it can be brought at any time. Keep in mind there's two different things there. By the way, as soon as I say that out loud, you know, people got the motion to vacate wrong. They said that after it was interduce used it would have to get him up in forty eight hours or two days. That's not true. It's after it was introduced. It could come up at any time after two days, as long as someone then.
Speaker 5: Brought the motion to the floor.
Speaker 18: If the motion did to expel Santos falls into a sort of a similar category. You could file the motion and then you can bring the motion force a vote anytime after two days. But it doesn't mean the vote automatically takes place after two days. So if you're a Republican from New York and you want to sort of beat your chest and say you want to get rid of George Santos, you could file the motion but then not bring it up for a vote. I don't know that George Santos thing is really, really weird. I don't know the guy, Thank goodness. My guess is he's probably gone if it does come to a vote. And now that the speaker thing is sort of put to bed, maybe for the rest of this Congress, the Republicans be more likely to get rid of him because they don't care about that extra one vote. In terms of emotion to vk.
Speaker 3: Well, I was compelled by his answer when asked about this on Fox last week.
Speaker 18: The Speaker did lie for due process compelled You weren't compelled by anything, said, are.
Speaker 3: You kidding me? I don't know if yes, right not. Due process was invoked, but not until after he talked about the thin margin in the House.
Speaker 12: MC.
Speaker 3: Here's Speaker Johnson, here's the reality, Sean.
Speaker 13: We have a four seat majority in the House. It is possible that that number may be reduced even more in the coming weeks and months, and so we'll have what may be the most razor thin majority in the history of the Congress. We have no margin for error, and so George Santos is due due process, right, he is. My understanding is I think he's appearing in a federal court tomorrow and we have to allow due process to play itself out. That's what our system of justice is for.
Speaker 7: He's not convicted, he's charged.
Speaker 13: He's charged. And so if we're going to expel people from Congress just because they're charged with a crime, then you know, are accused, that's a that's a problem.
Speaker 3: So Mick, we're just saying it out loud, right, this is not about due process. It's about keeping every vote you can.
Speaker 5: Joe, and I owe your apology.
Speaker 18: I thought you meant you were compelled by something that George Santos had said.
Speaker 5: I was taking you to task on that, and.
Speaker 3: I'm compelled by everything George Santos says, that's not a question.
Speaker 18: Look at this point, I don't know if there's as much of a difference between a five vote margin and a four vote margin. It's going to be tight regardless. So you know, I think he's let The safe place for him to go is to do process. I think I respect that and to say, look, the House will work its will. It is typical that you know if you're if you're under indictment.
Speaker 5: You're supposed to, you're supposed to.
Speaker 18: I know you're supposed to get off your committees, and I think George has already done that, or they kicked him off of this committee. I don't know what the precedent is on indictment on on I don't know if there's anybody who's been expelled for an indictment. If not, then George is probably safe for a while.
Speaker 5: I think he pled not guilty late last week, right after that interviews taking place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty remarkable he did. It was actually just our after I always wish we had more time with mcmulvaney. It's great to see you make Let's do it in a week. Just imagine what will happen between now and then. Mick mulvaney here on Bloomberg Sound On. I'm Joe Matthew with Kaylee Lines. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern.
Speaker 2: On Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: So, our historic auto workers strike appears to be over. This is just tentative now, but GM is the last piece to fall in place following Ford in Stilantis. I'm Joe Matthew along with Kaylee lines that news coming this morning. GM cutting a deal means the whole thing is done, right, This was all three of the Big three.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean this is still tentative.
Speaker 16: It'll have to be approved by the union, So we're talking thousands of members that will have tens of thousands of them that have to sign off on this. But it does seem like this brings the beginning of the end of a six week long strike. And what they got is very similar to what they got out of Ford and Stilantis. And when I say they, I mean the uaw twenty five percent increase in wages, cost of living allowances included in this, and it's Delantis's case, it was also an issue of making job security concessions as well.
Speaker 3: Does Sean Fain get like a parade? Does he get what are the members do for Sean Fain? Throw himself a parade.
Speaker 15: Gift him some more Camo shirts.
Speaker 3: Right, it'll be all white Camo. He must be writing a ripper right now for his next Facebook Live. I don't know, maybe you know when that happens. This is what he was sounding like last week when it was Ford. Of course we were talking about.
Speaker 19: We took our strike to a new phase and hit the companies with maximum effect. On Monday, we called on our UAW family at Sterling Heights Assembly to stand up that is stillanus's biggest and most profitable plant. On Tuesday, our UAW family at Arlington Assembly answered the call and they went out on strike, shutting down GM's biggest and most profitable plant. Ford knew what was coming for them on Wednesday if we didn't get a deal that was.
Speaker 3: Checkmate, checkmate, maximum effects, he says. The strike delivered, and so Sean Fain may have just set a massive precedent for organized labor all over the country, which is another part of maybe the next part of this story.
Speaker 16: Yeah, because we're thinking about a four year contract here. So there's the potential that all this song and dance happens again in twenty twenty eight. And what's interesting is the UAW has asked other unions to time their contracts around the same May twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 15: Everybody could be going on strike.
Speaker 3: This is something and he could probably be the one to pull it off right.
Speaker 15: Maybe it's a movement, not a moment. We'll see.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 15: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to the professor. Professor Wheaton, director of Labor Studies at Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations. Loved our conversation in the throes of this. Arthur Wheaton has helped to actually negotiate labor contracts before, and it's with us now that we have some news. It's good to see professor. Thanks for joining us here once again. On Bloomberg's sound on Sean Fain got more than a lot of people thought he would get. How would you grade his level of success here?
Speaker 20: I think he should receive a grade of an A plus. I think he far exceeded what I thought possible for him to get. And it's important to remember that they got quite a bit for the workers that were hired before two thousand and eight, but they got massive increases for the new hires, temporaries and what they refer to as in progression workers, in some case up to one hundred and sixty five percent increases in their wages.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and it's not just about wages, as we know, there's other benefits at play. Here, we're still trying to figure out what exactly the details are in the case of gm as retirement benefits where real sticking point we understood in the conversation, so they must have ironed that out in some way. But net looking at this, looking at what the UAW has been able to pull off here with these automakers, is this something that is Sean Fain and an Auto workers union specific, or is this something that other labor forces are going to be able to replicate when they're dealing with companies going forward.
Speaker 20: I think it's also building upon the success that the Teamsters had with ups, and it's building upon this strong labor market. We have to help in this case, but Sean Fain deserves a tremendous amount of our respect and support for what he was able to accomplish, not just for the UAW, but for all workers, because people will start paying higher wages to avoid unionize union drives at their places. So this should help all folks in manufacturing, especially in the auto sector.
Speaker 3: Should we assume these are all around FID.
Speaker 20: You never you can never assume anything. They thought they had a deal at mactruck and that did not get ratified. I'm optimistic this one will get ratified, but I'm making no guarantees, but really big improvements, much higher than most analysts dream possible.
Speaker 16: When you talk about how this creates something that is much bigger than the UAW or a force that is greater than just the United Autoworkers, I also just wonder thinking about auto workers that aren't at these these big three, like those that are employed by say Tesla. Do you think we could see this force spread there?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 20: Tesla has had a Elon musk Is like the saying he's paying as much as the UAW so that there's no incentive to join the UAW because they pay decent wages. But these improvements for all of the different categories and classifications for the UAW means that's no longer the case, so they will have an incentive to pay higher or face additional organizing drives. And according to Sean Fain, his phones ringing off the hook for members trying to join with the UAW now that they've got big gains on the table. So if you get a big contract, it really helps in your organizing efforts.
Speaker 3: Well, you tend to believe him. What did he refer to the Big Three becoming the Big five or six that would have to include Tesla. I'm assuming Kayley, Professor, I want to ask you about the greater picture here. We still don't have an actors' union contract, and as we look around the country, we can find any number of others that appear coiled and set to spring, not the smallest of which is in Las Vegas. We've got the Culinary Union on the Las Vegas Strip, on the verge of what appears to be a massive labor action that would come on the eve of an F one race, the Super Bowl, the Consumer Electronics show, the type of strike that a lot of people would see and would likely get a lot of media coverage. We know how important that group is for Democrats coming up in the Nevada caucuses will also be held at the beginning of next year. It could be a collision when it comes to timing. Does this deal that we're seeing here in the recent action by the UAW prompt more labor actions like those it can?
Speaker 20: It shows success of collective bargaining works and taking collective action can make a difference. And why would it happen with the same sorts of events you're talking about because you strike when you have the most leverage and you want to make sure you can get the biggest gains. If there was nothing happening and you were during the heights of the pandemic and no one was going to Vegas, it wouldn't have as much impact. Now that you have Vegas starting to attract major events, that's when you have the most leverage at the table. That's when you want to try to get your piece of that economic action. So it only makes sense, and I think it's going to happen in other sectors as well. I hope they get the SAG after ratified very quickly. And you're seeing President Biden already trying to make changes for artificial intelligence, and that's one of the issues actors are facing. So's it's not just one small piece of the puzzle, where a lot of people that are just workers and trying to get a little bit bigger piece of the pie.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I'm glad you brought up President Biden because what you just said about the UAW deal being a testament to the power of collective, collective bargaining and unions. That's essentially what the President said in the statement he put out after the news of the Stalantis UAW deal was announced.
Speaker 15: What grade would you.
Speaker 16: Give him in terms of his support of unions and his efforts here with the UAW. Knowing that he did go visit the picket line in Detroit.
Speaker 20: Being the first sitting president to ever walk a picket line and support of the union, I'd have to give him an A. I think that's at least an A for effort and trying to be there. I think you if you try to give all of Congress a great that's a little harder to do. So you can only do so much as president, and I think he's got a good positive attitude towards union, along with about seventy percent of America has a positive attitude about unions.
Speaker 3: I thought it was an E for effort, Professor, I don't know how that goes that. That's very generous for Joe Biden. Does that mean that Donald Trump gets a different grade? He went out there to speak to union members as well.
Speaker 20: I would have to give him a failing grade, because if you're going to go and support of union members, you might want to try going to a union facility. So he went to talk to non union people in a non union factory and trying to criticize the union that was on strike. So I think there, in terms of their efforts towards helping the workers, I would have to give Biden the edge on that going to the people actually involved in the same cities they're involved.
Speaker 3: All Right, we got maybe this will be a thing on sound one didn't we never did the grading before. Thank you for playing along. Arthur Wheaton, director of Labor Studies, Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations. Don't assume, Kaylee. He says that these deals will be ratified.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think we should probably be calling them tentative deals.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, and you did. I think we both used that word. I think I'm going to give us both credit for that, But boy, that would be a major blow for Sewn Fain. Yes, well done. That's an A I think an editor. That's an E for editorial.
Speaker 12: Nevermind.
Speaker 1: You're listening to The Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern.
Speaker 11: On Bloomberg Radio, the tune in alf, Bloomberg dot Com, and the.
Speaker 12: Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: As the Biden administration brings artificial intelligence back into the conversation today, this is not the first time, Kaylee lines, it will not be the last, as Capitol Hills seek some sort of legislative solution that won't be coming anytime soon. We can't even fund the government. The administration should get some credit for keeping the drum beat on this. The President today signing another executive order, is going to be talking about this momentarily here too. I hate to say this again, to put guardrails around this emerging technology?
Speaker 12: How did I do?
Speaker 3: Would that go in the news release?
Speaker 15: Yeah, that pretty much sums it up because.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean anything to us, and we don't always know what we're talking about when it comes to AI, right to begin with.
Speaker 16: And a lot of these executive orders are multi prompt and he's directing different departments and agencies to do different things, but broadly sweeping, it's just let's try to do something about AI, yes, right, and then it gets a little bit more specific. But to be honest, show a lot of this still feels.
Speaker 3: Quite a MorphOS sure, and it begins with the matter of privacy here and of course getting corporate partners to sign on. You were up on Capitol Hill when Elon Musk and everyone else came up there to brief lawmakers. That was the all Senators briefing. Nothing followed that though, right, that was a conversation and a photo op.
Speaker 16: And yeah, Chuck Schumer had said, this is going to be the first of many. And really it was about education. It wasn't about actually trying to set policy. It was just trying to get members of Congress to wrap their head around this technology and hear from people so that they can proceed on a path forward. And yeah, I haven't heard much about what that path forward, at least legislatively is too well.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg government was the first to get their hands on the Order on the EO. Here we go again, new standards on security and privacy protections for AI, with far reaching impacts on companies developers such as Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet. Of course, these are the main AI concerns out there. Google's parent will be directed to put these models through safety tests and submit results to the government before their public release. So if you're teaching one of these models something, apparently you have to tell the government first. I don't know how that's going to work or exactly what they agree to, but I don't think any of this is binding either.
Speaker 16: Well that's very good point of whether these are just you know, agreements in principle. Yeah, and then we'll see about actual enforcement. Something else is asking the Commerce Department to help develop measures to counter public confusion about authentic content. This is when we start thinking about deep fakes and misinformation.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well, this afternoon at the White House change anything. I don't know, but we wanted to talk to Kaitlyn Lagaki about it. Four Corners public affairs partner and spent time as an advisor to the Commerce Secretary in this administration. Caitlyn, it's great to see you. I know, this is something that you were actually briefing the Commerce Secretary on. And the Biden administration is trying to keep up with the flow here and it feels like Washington is already behind. How important is this executive order today?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, Kaylee mentioned earlier that a lot of this still feels a little bit soft. I was actually surprised at how far this executive order went. We're obviously still in the early ages, but this was or early stages, but this was much more robust than I was expecting. I think they cover a breadth of topics, whether it's healthcare, education, national and economic security that a lot of folks are concerned about. And so, like you said, this is a very important first step. But I think the most important thing is that at least the Biden administration and to an extent, Capitol Hill have learned the lessons of you know, the social media debate on Capitol Hill, and they want to place some sort of guardrails on this before the horse gets too far out of the barn, because you know, once these technologies take hold, it's so hard to reel them back in. And so I think this executive order is a really important first step to kind of one tell companies what the administration is concerned about, what they're looking at. But it also sent a message with its utilization of the Defense Production Act that they want companies and businesses at the time table shaping solutions. But this administration is not afraid to go even further without them.
Speaker 16: Okay, well, you say it kind of gives companies a better idea of what their concerns are and gives companies some directives as to what they should be practicing. But how hard is it to actually make what has been outlined in this executive order a reality, for it to have real effect be enforced.
Speaker 9: That's a great question. I mean the interagency coordination that this document is going to require as a job in and of itself, I saw at least five different Cabinet agencies names. You're obviously going to have additional equities within the White House Department of Defense, so that I think that is, frankly one of the biggest challenges. The good news is that as the Biden administration has been approaching this question of AI, they've had all of those folks at the table from the beginning. But you're totally right that there are questions about enforcement. There are questions about how is this going to match up with legislation should it ever get through the Congress. But I think one of the most important things that is in this document that is going a little bit under the radar is how the government is going to use its procurement capacities to help shape some of this technology. The government is going to be spending billions and billions of dollars on AI technology, both for national security but also for how we do business within the government. Enforcing companies to comply with this set of guidelines in order to get federal contracts is going to be an important tool to enforce compliance with these goals.
Speaker 3: That's pretty big leverage, is that? Why, then, Caitlin, all fifteen companies signing onto these commitments are actually with the president today to try to make a united front here. These are the same companies who are asking in some cases to be regulated.
Speaker 9: A little yeah that, I think everyone recognizes the importance of having a shared set of goals and values and guidelines for how we implement this technology. But you're right when you look at the companies that aren't with the president, it's a lot of the biggest players in the space.
Speaker 3: They have a lot.
Speaker 9: At stake in terms of getting this right and protecting their corporate brand reputations. But I also do think that companies don't necessarily want to be on the hook for managing this on a case by case basis. The way that many social media companies are when it comes to disinformation on their platforms. They recognize the value and having everyone playing from the same set of rules.
Speaker 16: Finally, Kaitlyn, we only have about a minute left, But we were just having a whole conversation on labor in the power of unions and artificial intelligence's role in that was raised in that discussion. How much is this executive order going to have an impact on job security for American people.
Speaker 9: I don't know that it does yet. I think where you'll see a lot of it is in terms of figuring out where within the government you can automate tasks using that as a pilot. But this administration is very focused on making sure that we're balancing those equities and that we're not pushing people out of jobs, or if there are jobs that are being phased out because of technological advancements, how do we account for that. I don't see this going away as a major labor issue anytime soon. I also see it emerging as a huge issue in education and healthcare, and we've been very focused, I think, on the consumer applications for this, and.
Speaker 3: It depends up where we had more time with you, Kaitlin Legaki from Four Corners This is cut. Thanks for listening to the sound on podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. And you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at one pm Eastern Time at Bloomberg dot com.