Speaker 1: Now, the Shotguns Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here.
Speaker 2: And where a week.
Speaker 3: Alright, alright, alright.
Speaker 4: Dent no man, darn your.
Speaker 5: Greetings, and welcome to another edition of the Shotgun Start. Today is Friday, January thirty. First, Shane, how.
Speaker 3: Are you doing?
Speaker 6: Andy?
Speaker 4: Doing great?
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's you. Guys do these podcasts late all the time.
Speaker 4: Don't you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we're late.
Speaker 4: I don't understand how you do it.
Speaker 5: It's difficult, you know, but Thursday night, if you want Friday morning fresh content, you gotta do it late.
Speaker 4: No, I know. I'm just impressed.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you guys can do it, do it this late in the evening, eight thirty.
Speaker 4: Eight, My goodness, gracious.
Speaker 2: I mean, I had to make turkey burgers and I had to put my grill hat. You know, I have a hat when I grill that I wear for when I grill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's my girl and hat.
Speaker 3: What's what's it look like? It's like, is this a chef?
Speaker 2: It's it's a flan like a red and black flannel hat that has the flaps to go down on the side.
Speaker 3: It's a columberjacket.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, you're lucky.
Speaker 5: You're lucky it's not Hawaii. You're lucky that Brendan didn't get sick of the Hawaii s way.
Speaker 3: Those are like midnight, Oh.
Speaker 4: What is wrong with the big guy?
Speaker 6: Is he okay?
Speaker 4: You wanna let the people know?
Speaker 3: I don't know. He told me.
Speaker 5: He texted me in the middle of the day like I don't think I can tooth pot. I texted him back, I'm like, you want me to find us up? And then like six hours later he texted me He's like, I haven't been able to get vertical all day.
Speaker 3: I think I got the flu. I mean, he's had a cough for like six months, so he's got four kids.
Speaker 4: I was joking online on the on Twitter earlier or I guess this would be to last night. I was joking that.
Speaker 2: I actually do have a cough, and so if I do at some point just randomly start coughing. I'm not actually impersonating Brendan. That's truly what what's going on. And it's the first time I've had a cough in like seven years. So, but I also just have a new kid, So maybe it's this kid thing. Maybe just if you're a dad you have a cough.
Speaker 3: I think that's what happens. You know, he's got four. I haven't been second like five years. I got no kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was talking to my wife about when you have a kid, you're you know how you know how when you charge your You used to charge your cell phone battery and they'd say, don't you know, don't charge around.
Speaker 4: When you get it, let it die all the way and then.
Speaker 2: Charge it because the theory was if you started charging at fully fifty percent of the battery, believed it was half the battery power.
Speaker 4: Whatever. Mm hm and uh.
Speaker 2: And I feel like now as a parent with a kid that like coughs in your face, I can never get back to one hundred percent of like always healthy ever again the rest of my life until they go away for college.
Speaker 3: You're the You're the battery that's just been killed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe I'm my max is eighty five percent.
Speaker 2: That's as good as I'm gonna fills eighty five Like that's a plus for me.
Speaker 3: Now, Oh man, that's depressing, But.
Speaker 2: I mean that's not a bad thing. I just feel like I feel like over the last four or five months, I've had this like randomly you'll have a cough and then like your throat will hurt one week and you're like this doesn't have grabbing everything, and then around other kids as well. So that's my that's my theory.
Speaker 4: I hope I'm wrong. I hope I get back two hundred percent.
Speaker 3: See, I work from home and.
Speaker 5: I haven't been sick and forever, like not even like the a smidgeon of sickness.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not around you, If you're not around human beings, it's really.
Speaker 6: Hard to get sick.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: Oh it's the best.
Speaker 5: I really enjoy not being sick. I don't want to get sick a bad thing. You were out of the waist management today. You should I run down the leaderboard, tell you what's going on.
Speaker 4: I would I would like you to please all right.
Speaker 5: Wyndam Clark leads ten under a troop, followed by another troop Billy Horschell at eight under, and then the pace card JB. Holmes at seven under and uh Tommy tables. Plenty of casinos around for Tommy. He's at six with Harris English and uh ben On and Bud Coll.
Speaker 6: Do you know how JB.
Speaker 2: Holmes started the tournament? Have you looked at Do you look at how he started today?
Speaker 3: He started with like a double on the second hole.
Speaker 2: Let me, I'm gonna read it to you, because you know, I like a psycho scorecard, a pars one doubles, two, Birdie's three hole in one on four, Bogie's five to be even through five?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he made him one and a birdie for Bertie and a whole one here.
Speaker 2: Even, but he heat lit it up on them. I think I think he played like the last ten holes something like seven under.
Speaker 4: He just played. You know, he loves this place.
Speaker 6: This is his spot.
Speaker 5: I thought you were going to say he played the last ten holes in seven hours. When you were saying that, it's like where my brain naturally went.
Speaker 4: Do you do you think if you asked JB.
Speaker 2: Holmes what his favorite golf course was, do you think he would say TPC Scottsdale.
Speaker 5: Him and Hideki might both love this place more than anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Matt Fitzpatrick has a head cover of Harbor Town, and I asked him one time Why do you have a Harbord You know, this guy's obviously not for America. Why do you have the Harbor Town headcover? He was my favorite course in the world.
Speaker 6: We got to get maybe get JB.
Speaker 4: Dpc's Constile headcover.
Speaker 5: He plays well here. He plays well at Tory though too. Something about this West Coast wing. He won it at Riviera and riv and riv Does he play the He's got to love the pebble. If he plays it, you know, he doesn't have to hurry up. How is the vibe out there today?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was.
Speaker 2: I would say it was quieter than I remember Thursday's being, but I was I was in. I was following Homa and we were through sixteen early. He was an early tea time and started on ten. So when we got to sixteen and went through it, it was like quiet. You know, it wasn't they weren't going crazy yet, but I could hear it over on about five. You could hear sixteen, you know, the cheers of the booze that basically started about noon.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's just it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: You've made this point a few times to me, like the waste management. Phoenix Open is should be praised for everything it does, and it's this unbelievably.
Speaker 4: Unique event and I'm walking around it every year and there's more stuff different than the year before. You know. It's it's just it's always evolving.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I kind of appreciate that because it's surprised you even if you go every year.
Speaker 3: Are they just continuing to add grandstands?
Speaker 4: They're everywhere. I mean, they're everywhere.
Speaker 6: But the thing is that they put in.
Speaker 4: A new complex and it sells out.
Speaker 6: In the day, you know. I mean they can't.
Speaker 4: Build enough stuff. You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's just that popular, Like seven hundred and thirty thousand people there last year, the year before, you know. I mean, this is that's what's so nuts about it, is like you just see all these people. It's like there's no other golf tournament where there's a fifty thousand people a day that could care less about golf.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: That that's the thing too, is when I was out there a couple of weeks ago, like every Uber driver they'd be like, what are you. I'm like because they saw my golf bag and they're like and I was like, oh, I write and talk about golf, and they're like, oh, you know the waste management. Like if that was Chicago and you came to Chicago, they wouldn't say anything. Like if you went to.
Speaker 5: If you went to Memphis, they wouldn't be like, oh, you know, we got the WGC.
Speaker 3: Nobody would say that.
Speaker 5: Like every Uber driver was like, just kept talking about the waste manager. I was like, yeah, I'm aware of the waste management.
Speaker 4: You know, But I mean, but you were now you wish you were here.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know if it could top Orlando's convention center scene.
Speaker 4: It's about as much walking, you know what.
Speaker 5: The I don't know how many people that listen to this have been to Orlando convention Center. I actually got to go to the closer convention center this week. You know, the one that you usually have to walk through to get to the main f Yeah.
Speaker 3: This one was in the one that you walked through. It was great, relieve all the issues.
Speaker 4: This was this week. So you have you been in there twice in two weeks?
Speaker 3: Twice in two weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've been wearing out Eye Drive International drives.
Speaker 2: You were in you were in Orlando for the show for the PGA show, you went home, and then you went back to Orlando again for another show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, golf industry show. Yeah, hang with my supers.
Speaker 4: Did you stay in the same hotel room now?
Speaker 5: Just different hotels, different hotels, same mansion, same management group, different hotels.
Speaker 6: I would have just maybe seen if you could have just you.
Speaker 2: Know, let's just leave the stuff, leave some stuff and in the closet and.
Speaker 4: See if anybody moves it. You know, you'll be back in three days.
Speaker 3: That would have been a bad idea.
Speaker 5: I mean, could you imagine that being in staying in Orlando for ten straight days?
Speaker 2: What's the what's the golf course equivalent to Orlando in your mind?
Speaker 5: Oh, you're trying to get me in trouble with the Orlando ins. I mean, I think there's some really cool pockets of Orlando.
Speaker 2: So I need your thoughts on a golf course. What's a golf course that has little cool pockets?
Speaker 6: You know, all these.
Speaker 4: Courses there's six flooding around in your brain right now.
Speaker 3: It's just trying to get me in trouble here.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, it's like, oh man, it's like a golf course that's got that was really that's got some really cool stuff going on, but then maybe somebody came in and did a really bad renovation and there's still some cool stuff going on, but there's a bunch of stuff on top of it that I can't I mean, it's just but then there's all these kids. Like I was on a plane full of kids coming down.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like the family boarding was like three hours.
Speaker 2: There's so there's so many children in that airport. It's the most children in any concentrated place that you'll ever see outside of like a high school or something.
Speaker 4: Do you know that Jordan Speed and Rickey shot plus three today? Yeah? I saw four. Ricky made a whole bunch of birdies.
Speaker 2: I think he had like four or five birdies and they just ad trillion bogees.
Speaker 5: I know Ricky won here last year, but it's kind of been like a house of horrors for him.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Have you looked through how he's played. Yeah, to your point since that win.
Speaker 5: I mean he won last year, but like the the thing with like Ricky every year, he like has had so much heartbreak at this tournament, you know, right right, Yeah, he had the when he was twenty one, he lost in the playoff or to Mayhan. You know, Mayhan cracked his driver that day. His wife or is good. It was then his girlfriend like brought a driver out to him. He couldn't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: You know what I've always thought was kind of strange. And I understand that they have to get tournament to tournament, but you know, you get all those tour trucks that are at these tournaments Monday through Wednesday, so it's and they're obviously that's when everybody's tinkering, so you're getting stuff regrift to reshafted, you're tinkering. But then when the actual tournament starts, all those trucks are going to the next event, and if something breaks, it's like you've got to go basically you'll find a golf shop.
Speaker 4: Or you've got to go find up, you know, somewhere that.
Speaker 2: Will basically replace the basement or they get it shipped out quickly.
Speaker 4: I've always I've always wondered if there's one place.
Speaker 2: Where like we're going to stay the entire time to picture equipment, if that would like entice players.
Speaker 5: You know, that sounds like a startup enterprise. We could get in on the ground floor.
Speaker 2: Of our truck pulls in on Wednesday night. Yeah, and we're we're the where the week.
Speaker 3: Guys, We're there. We're there for you when you really need us. And we charged we charged a premium.
Speaker 4: We don't get business for like four straight months.
Speaker 3: We get percentage.
Speaker 5: We say, hey, you want this drive for fixed, you got to give us twenty percent of your earnings.
Speaker 2: When Tigers Snap desired Augusta, you'd have been right out there.
Speaker 4: We'll get it right right after, sir.
Speaker 3: That What did you see the Do you see that? That notice?
Speaker 4: The the.
Speaker 3: You know the optional driver testing volunteering? Do you see that? Where?
Speaker 4: What's it?
Speaker 5: They had a sign up? Rex Hager tweeted about it. It was a they had an optional driver testing this week at the stop.
Speaker 4: How many players participate?
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 5: What do you think the equivalent of an optional driver test if your driver failed, you had to take it out?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe like an optional d UI checkpoint.
Speaker 5: I think it would be like an optional actual driving test. Like I was thinking about it because this year my license is up for renewal, and I was like, God, I.
Speaker 3: Hope they don't make me take the driver's test again.
Speaker 4: Which part of it makes you nervous.
Speaker 5: I don't know those there's a lot of questions out there there.
Speaker 4: Not the written part.
Speaker 3: Is there anything, No, I'm talking about the written part.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't want to take that either. I probably fail.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought you were nervous about having the drive a vehicle.
Speaker 3: Driving a vehicles fie, but actually knowing all the rules. I don't think I know them.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should make Maybe we should get to get the test and you and I can do a test to higher lower scorees to donate something to charity.
Speaker 3: We could do that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think they have different tests across states.
Speaker 4: I'll just take yours.
Speaker 3: It's fine, you're confident.
Speaker 2: Do you guys have any weird Illinois rules? What can you do on a red light? If you're gonna turn right?
Speaker 5: Can you turn right on red sometimes? Unless pedestrians are president. You know, to people in Arizona, you know what drives me insane. It's the people that don't go out. When they're turning left. They stop at the line. Texas, they stop at the.
Speaker 4: Line when they're turning left.
Speaker 3: You know, the lights green, traffic's coming.
Speaker 5: The person's turning left right, but you're waiting for the traffic the people that.
Speaker 3: Stop the line drive me insane.
Speaker 4: Oh they don't roll out.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, And they're never ready to they're never ready to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've got to always be You've got to always be like an inch away from like an accident when you're making that turn. You know what I'm saying, Like, you've got to be way out there, get a full view of what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they you gotta get out.
Speaker 5: I don't know, that's that's something that I feel like on the West Coast.
Speaker 3: It happens Southwest.
Speaker 4: What what golf stuff you want to talk about?
Speaker 5: I know this is a terrible podcast so far. The uh how about Speed?
Speaker 3: What? What do you think about this?
Speaker 4: Like you just presented it? How about Speed?
Speaker 3: Well, just we're talking about him?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think it's I think it's I think it's the one of the craziest sports stories going right now in terms of a player's lost ability, Like why are we not talking about this more? I mean, he struggles every single week like it went. It's one of those things where like you've got the friend that's partying a lot and they're fun to hang out with, and then at one point you're like your friends start talking about it, and then you stop talking about it. I feel like we're like in the friends starting to talk about, like what's going on with this guy? Because he was the best golfer on the planet for like two and a half three years.
Speaker 3: Yes, I I mean like think about what he wanted, Chambers.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 7: I mean, he he he's he almost won every major in one season. Like he he had a legitimate chance, legitimate chance. He missed a put at seven and seventeen in St.
Speaker 2: Andrew's he ran into an unbelievably red hot Jason Day, who like broke scoring records at the PGA away from Wayne grand Slam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like in what in a season?
Speaker 6: And now the guy is he like can't put.
Speaker 2: Together four rounds of tournament golf. It's it's a bomber. I mean, it really is a big bumber. Jordan Speith is great for what we're doing.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 5: About Speath too, is his like marketing appeal and is like the general fan interest with speed, Like of all the players out Tide of Tiger, I think the Speath had the biggest fan interest from like just like a broad scale.
Speaker 4: Yes, Speath and Rickey and Speeth obviously had more accolades in terms of big events won.
Speaker 2: But I mean you're talking about it. You were going to draw up, you know, the dream scenario for a young player if you were an ad agency, you know, looking to recruit a guy to be the face of your company.
Speaker 4: You know, Jorgans Beith is that guy.
Speaker 6: I mean, he was young, he was articulate, he.
Speaker 2: Was smart, he did all the things right, and he was winning these big events when you're not supposed to win them. So it's it's just strange that we saw him come in so hot and do all the things he did, and now it's it's I mean, you know, it's it's been a long time, Andy, I mean, was it twenty eighteen Open as his last win.
Speaker 5: It's you just reminded me of that the wedding crashers were not that young anymore, spent a long time.
Speaker 4: It's it's really when you by the way I was.
Speaker 2: I was, I was talking to somebody a couple of days ago abound speed and I was looking through his owgr you know, he's fifty first in the world.
Speaker 4: Now. He finished tie for third at the PGA Championship last.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, he made every putt. He made every putt. He looked at that week too. That's the thing.
Speaker 5: That's the depressing thing was he had like a historically great putting week and he finished third and he wasn't even in it.
Speaker 2: Right, It was a ghost when Koepka started to fall apart and Dustin was making a little bit of a charge and they were getting closer and closer.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was like still a big game.
Speaker 5: I think he was eight shots out of out of first. But that this is the other thing. So if you just look at his finishes, like twenty thirteen, he had a win in three seconds, twenty fourteen two wins to seconds, twenty fifteen, five wins five seconds, twenty sixteen, three wins two seconds, twenty seventeen three wins three seconds. He hasn't even finished runner up since then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been you know, his weekend scoring last year was abysmal. I mean, he would get himself going on Thursday or Friday. We saw him put up some good scores in those types of environments, and then it was like Saturday and Sunday came around and you would shoot a million and it just you know, they say, you know, if you can miss it one way, you know you have a chance to be good, right. I mean that's what all the pros try to do. They want their missed the same way. You know, Speef has the double miss going off the tee. He's not hitting desires as good as he was, and he was an unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Iron player when he was like really really hitting it.
Speaker 2: And it's like he's the guy that if he has if he doesn't have an exceptional putting week, it's it's really, really, really really tough for him to finished in the top twenty five or thirty.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing that gets lost is like people are like, oh, he's never that great. He was a great ball striker, unbelievable, He finished like I want to say, twenty second and strokes gained off the tee and fifth and approached one year like extraordinary year.
Speaker 2: But it was it was one of those narratives that obviously, you know, narratives that aren't one hundred percent actual or fairly annoying, but you know, it was this narrative that he was a great putter and he had this unbelievable putting season. But I mean, you know, you're putting for birds and eagles, you know, for a reason, right, and you know you knock those in. That's awesome, but you got to get it there and you got to get.
Speaker 4: It in the right position to set yourself up.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, talking about speed and you talk about his impact and how you know he had that kind of I want to watch him play golf factor to him, Rory has that speed's got that.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering who kind of the next I think JT.
Speaker 2: I think when JT's locked in, he's a lot of fun to watch because it just seems like he doesn't really miss a lot of golf shots, and he kind of takes on these crazy, crazy shots, like when he won the PG eight at that seven iron from two to twenty, but that putts.
Speaker 4: Feet made on sixteen at St.
Speaker 2: Andrews as he's kind of trying to mount this comeback that didn't even seem like it was even there. It didn't seem like they were going to have holes left. I think it was one of the most excited moments I've had watching a golf vent if not maybe the most excited, because I mean, I was rooting so hard for this thing to continue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's he had so many great moments in the last like, you know, the last decade, and he was you know, relevant for only half of it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the uh.
Speaker 5: I mean, Birkdale was unbelievable. After the whole Van incident in the drive right like that that finished, he was extraordinary. And then the Masters like stuff he was doing Augusta. I mean, it's a really crazy thing. You're right, in terms of like sports, I don't know if we've ever seen anything like this. If it especially if it continues, you know.
Speaker 4: Well, just just lose it.
Speaker 2: I mean just losing losing kind of you know, it's it's you're losing your ability to truly compete.
Speaker 4: Because you can compete. You can finish T six, you can finish.
Speaker 2: T three, you can get yourself in the conversation, you can play four solid rounds of golf. But I'm trying to think of the last time we truly saw him in.
Speaker 4: A golf tournament on Sunday, you know, truly.
Speaker 2: An actual factor, you know, and and it's it's been a while, and and and and you know what the problem with that is, the further you get from that, the more uncomfortable it's gonna be the next time you do it, you know, I mean he was so comfortable in those moments. You know, the next time he's going to be, you know, two shots clear after three rounds, it's going to feel like that was a long time ago, the last time you had to deal with those types of kind of inner deems.
Speaker 5: It's that scar tissue that happens. This is like sometimes golf holes get harder the more you play him, right, because you're like, oh, I know where all you just start to know where all the trouble is and you think about all the missus And I think that was like a big thing with Tiger, you know, is that I think he was so dominant for so long that he didn't think he could lose, right, And then.
Speaker 4: Wait, it's just didn't lose.
Speaker 2: I mean that that's that's that's why like you can't really when you talk about like when you talk about the way golfers handle things, you have to almost throw Tiger out of the conversation.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like he's the outlier, not you know, he's the guy that for whatever reason, was wired where he won anytime he was there in those moments and everybody else that we know in the history of golf did so it's it's really Tiger and everybody else in that regard.
Speaker 5: You know, Speed reminds me a little bit of uh my plight with Derek Rose.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it's it's very alright, like if you.
Speaker 5: So, I was a huge Bulls fan, season ticket holder for Derek Rose and you get the kid from Chicago, you draft him number one, and he's the youngest MVP and ever in the NBA, great great player, and and then he's just gone. And Speed's kind of this in Rose's injuries. You know, he's having a great year this year and he's had but he I mean for five years he was just irrelevant, right, you know, the injuries just killed him, And like Speed's not dealing with injuries. But like it's similar thing where it's just you know, everybody he's still a superstar because he's Jordan Speith and that you're never gonna take and Derek Rose is like Derek Rose is still Derek Rose. Like you say Derek Rose to any NBA fan, they know Derreck Rose is and they remember that version. But like Speed's kind of in the same boat right now, and maybe he comes back and is great but like this, this three year lull that we're kind of a two year now approaching three years is it's just a really strange thing. No matter what happened, he could have a great rest of his career and you're still gonna look back and be like, what happened these three years?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah? His I was talking about how he played on the weekend. Last year.
Speaker 2: He was ninth on the PGA Tour in round one scoring. In twenty nineteen, he'd led the PGA Tour in second round scoring. Last year for the entire season, he was one hundred and seventieth and third round scory and one hundred and eighty seven and final round scoring. So ninth and first, I mean, I would I would dare you to find another player that's in the top ten in first and second round scoring of anybody all season long last year.
Speaker 5: That's that's the scary thing about it, because it's that to me, points to to mental issues, you know, with the I don't know, because he's getting it done two rounds of the day, right, I don't know. Let's talk about more positive things. Is kJ choy going to notch the top twenty this week? He's tight right now?
Speaker 4: I'm watching him for a couple holes today.
Speaker 3: How great is it to watch kJ Toy play golf?
Speaker 2: It was he's I want to I want to play golf like kJ.
Speaker 3: You know, he's electric, He's electrified.
Speaker 4: He is electrified. When's his last top ten?
Speaker 5: He's got to be like Riviera twenty fifteen or something. I remember that tournament.
Speaker 2: He's body free today. By the way, kJ CHOI, no bogey's on the card, no flaws.
Speaker 5: I think he's got like a he used his career money exemption or something.
Speaker 4: This year he had a.
Speaker 5: Finished third at the Hyundai Insurance kJ Choy Invitational on the Korean Tour. Twenty twenty sixteen, he finished uh second at the Farmer's Insurance.
Speaker 4: Which year was that?
Speaker 5: Twenty sixteen Andy finished fifth? Andy finished fifth at Riviera that year. That was the year he played great rip. He almost won that thing. Three wins his had you know, yeah, I got it right here. Sixteen worldwide.
Speaker 4: PGA.
Speaker 5: Let's see one, two, three, four, five, six, seven eight.
Speaker 3: I mean he's a great player.
Speaker 2: Eight PGA Tour wins, one on the euro Tours Japanese.
Speaker 5: Nine PGA Tour wins, nine PGA Tour wins Okay.
Speaker 3: I think he's a Hall of famer. Is he a Hall of famer? He won the players.
Speaker 2: Nine PGA Tour wins. See see, you can't use the player, you can't. You can't use the players here, and they bashed the players other times.
Speaker 3: Now you're trying to according to the World Golf Hall of Fame, he's a major champion.
Speaker 4: You can't g have it both ways.
Speaker 2: You're using it for your benefits to try to get kJ in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: What's your take on Hall of Fame? Like with kJ had massive inner like influence in South and you know, he's I think directly responsible for the you know, a lot of the young, great South Korean players we have.
Speaker 2: Now I agree with you on that, and I think that probably plays a little bit into and I mean, I hope he gets in. I hope everybody that deserves to be recognized gets in. I just if you're a resume, if you're looking off of resume, then he probably doesn't get in, you know, I mean champions.
Speaker 3: Discussed sixteen worldwide wins.
Speaker 2: He finished third in the four Masters when Phil won for the first time and Ernie was right there.
Speaker 4: So kJ kJ was in the hunt for a while.
Speaker 3: Kj's great player, he's not a Hall of Famer. Right, that was.
Speaker 4: Top eight, Top eight and three masters.
Speaker 5: I think we need to overhaul the Hall of Fame. I think it needs to be like twenty players.
Speaker 2: Kj's out twenty total.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like twenty five.
Speaker 4: Do you cap it?
Speaker 2: Because if you do, you have to kick somebody out if you include somebody.
Speaker 5: No, No, I think you just start at twenty five and it. I think there's just too much riff raff in it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I understand that point, but I'm saying, the numbers twenty five.
Speaker 3: So what if you're let's start.
Speaker 5: Let's start with twenty five and then we can add people.
Speaker 2: But that's what this system is, you add people.
Speaker 5: Well, what I'm saying is you got to start over and pick out twenty five.
Speaker 3: So you want to do away with all the all the yes.
Speaker 4: Anybody that had a voice that has since passed away. All of these people are gone, just this current generation.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, they they can be in still, but we're just going to restart.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, you're picking who the Hall of Fame is.
Speaker 2: So I'm just thinking, maybe you you aren't the best. You might not be the best historian on I said, I said, we okay, who would be your number one pick?
Speaker 3: Probably Jack?
Speaker 4: That's such a cop out answer.
Speaker 3: Bobby Jones, maybe too, you know Ben Hagan.
Speaker 4: Oh okay.
Speaker 6: I mean you're you're really digging deep. I'm just one.
Speaker 2: I just feel like Jack is the is the is the biggest cop out of the Well.
Speaker 3: Your number one pick Tiger?
Speaker 5: I mean it's it's Tiger or Jack, right, I mean, who's your number one pick?
Speaker 4: Probably Byron Nelson.
Speaker 3: Wow, let's see that's different.
Speaker 4: I mean, or like sayre Palk like she should be a top three pick.
Speaker 2: See, she changed the entire landscape of golf.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm talking about. We need to we need to readjust recalibrate, start over.
Speaker 4: So what if what if in theory?
Speaker 6: And I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 2: I just want to make it clear. I'm not back in your three haul the Golf Hall of Fame side.
Speaker 3: I like that you're playing along with it though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I but I actually, so what if you named certain categories of the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 5: I like that because there Golf is a very big sport. The It's the only sport in the world where more people play it than watch it.
Speaker 2: Wow. So you're so you've you've got you've got this, You've got this, this category of people that were great golfers that change the landscape. Then you have guys that were just great golfers you know they won, and women that won a whole bunch of tournaments. And then you could have you know, like the goat category where it really is like just.
Speaker 3: Just playing credentials.
Speaker 2: There's five chairs, and to get a chair, you've got to knock out somebody that was there four.
Speaker 3: That'd be sad the day you revoke it.
Speaker 5: Like can you imagine a guy like that's still living, he's like eighty five and he gets his He guess it's all of fame revoked.
Speaker 4: It's not all he has to live for.
Speaker 3: You're gotta take that away from you.
Speaker 4: Phill with fill with another masters. See.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Phil be in my Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, this is this is this is creeping up there with your worst take.
Speaker 3: No, I he'd be in it, but it's uh, let's move on. We got we got Saudi Arabia too. Hey are you going back out to Phoenix? The rest of the weekend Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be out there tomorrow all week. I'm not my.
Speaker 2: I'm probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm TVD. I'm going Saturday because I might play golf myself.
Speaker 3: That's that's fine. I'd be if I wasn't in Chicago, I'd be playing golf.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 3: You know this sounds like a pretty nice thing to do.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's here, though, but you don't I listen. I'm thirty six, dude. No matter if you're inside the ropes, right outside the ropes or flying over the ropes, Saturday is a lot for me, you know, it's just a It's a lot going on, is.
Speaker 3: It to me? It seems like I'd rather be on seventeen than sixteen.
Speaker 4: Well, seventeen is the new sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like the place to be.
Speaker 2: The Bay Club is was the first I believe this is true. The Bay Club was the first building there on seventeen when they decided to kind of overhaul what they were doing there on that whole. And I still to this day think Bake Club is the best spot at the Waste Management.
Speaker 4: I love I love the view. I love it. It's a little more chill, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Can see eighteen t shots, you can see the guys driving on seventeen, you know, and you're you can.
Speaker 4: Just kind of sit there and let the breeze blow through.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That's a fun hole to watch.
Speaker 4: Well, you get to see everything.
Speaker 2: You know, you see t shots in the water and then you see guys drive it to twenty five feet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a low key kind of awesome tournament in terms of just like the finishes for the last decade.
Speaker 4: It's an awesome tournament. I mean, there's no low key about it.
Speaker 2: It's it's one of the best events on the PGA Tour, if not the best, in terms of what it is.
Speaker 4: It's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: It has a quadrillion people to come out, It has a great field, It produces good winners. It's you know, what more could you want?
Speaker 4: Kopka?
Speaker 2: You know, listen, it knew about Kopka before a lot of people did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first win, does this first PGA Tour win.
Speaker 4: First win. He shoots sixty five to sixty five on the weekend, is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: He played great that year. You know who's leading in Saudi Arabia this will be I do not know Graham mcdeal and Gavin Green, Phil Phil's only two back shot sixty six, Stenson's one. This a good field, A lot of a lot of money paid for it. But DJ's DJ's three under m it'll all be different tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Wonder about you, guys, I've always I've always wondered about you guys.
Speaker 3: Do that well, give her a results rundown.
Speaker 2: Well, I understand the results rundown, But like when you do the Friday episode, you guys always have to have a disclaimer.
Speaker 3: Well, some people are gonna be listen to it on Friday afternoon, some Friday morning. Some might actually get the results, you know, if they're like in the UK listening in the morning. There's a global audience here.
Speaker 4: What's your demo?
Speaker 2: What's your percentage demo from America that listens a shotguns start.
Speaker 3: You're asking the wrong guy that question. I think it's like eighty percent.
Speaker 4: Okay, see, so I am asking the right guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know, sublind guests, when's.
Speaker 4: The last round of golf you played with you? That's it? Last time country club?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't work, I don't play golf anymore.
Speaker 4: How's the putting in the basement?
Speaker 5: Going now, I haven't. The clubs are still in the in the travel back Spencer, got it.
Speaker 4: I take them right out. I can't. I can't leave them in there. It drives me crazy.
Speaker 3: They're like the darkest room in the basement. They're so far from coming out.
Speaker 4: I mean yours. You say that you're probably gonna be somewhere next week playing golf.
Speaker 5: I'm going on another trip without my golf clubs.
Speaker 4: So oh, were it?
Speaker 3: I go to l A.
Speaker 4: With four wedding.
Speaker 5: No, no, just a little little business trip. I don't know why we're talking about this right now. Nobody wants there on my travel schedule.
Speaker 4: I want to hear about your upcoming travels.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: On the on the corn Ferry Tour, I've been better about not saying web tour. We got Taylor Pendrith, the Canadian, the big Canadian leading seven under Grayson Sig six under Grant Hirshman, Ryan Ruffles ruffles or ruffles ruffles.
Speaker 3: I think it's ruffles.
Speaker 4: Well it's Gabriella's brother.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, ruffles fine? Uh, Patrick Fishburn.
Speaker 3: The wolf Man. I'll kinds of people on this. Steve Fountains is two twenty one. You got any thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: I'm just so I'm watching you smile your way through going through the names, and your smile gets bigger when you do the nicknames.
Speaker 6: It's it's so much.
Speaker 4: Fun to watch. I was like insurance by this.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not I'm not a I'm not a host of this podcast. Friend. Is the host given me a hard time?
Speaker 4: No, it's I've been. I've been enjoying it. No, I have. I don't really have any thoughts on how the corn event.
Speaker 3: Surely anything could happen at this point.
Speaker 4: Also the results, the results, amount of chase.
Speaker 3: They're gonna be fine tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Okay, perfect.
Speaker 3: Tell me about your new podcast.
Speaker 4: It's just it's a new podcast. You and I ramble about stuff for the.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: I have a new podcast coming out on Monday, February third, depending on when you're listening to this, it's called Get a Grip with Max Helma and Shane Bacon.
Speaker 4: I am part of that.
Speaker 2: I'm half of its name, Get a Grip, and uh, we're gonna do it once a week after tournaments. It'll be out on Mondays, and uh, he's gonna come over and watch the super Bowl on Sunday and then we're going to record the first episode. It'll be about weeks when he's playing. If not, you know, observe him and just kind of dive into, you know, his life on the tour. And I'm sure we'll have tangents similar to what you and I.
Speaker 4: Have had to night.
Speaker 3: How did you come up with the name?
Speaker 2: Well, we had a name we really liked, and I think we sat on our hands too long and it ended up getting snatched.
Speaker 4: Up on the internet and we were really bummed.
Speaker 3: Out about it.
Speaker 4: Shot It's called the Shotgun Start. We had it for years. I had it was my dream when I was younger to have a shotgun Start show.
Speaker 3: What was the name? What got snatched up?
Speaker 4: Strokes gained podcasting.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's good fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know it was Max.
Speaker 2: That was Homa all Homa and and but we we did all this stuff for it and then found out it was already a show called So anybody out there listening that wants to do anything, ever, make sure you check that there's the availability of it first, before you you know, started like mocking up potential logos and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would recommend not naming it after a common food too. This is a small piece of advice I have?
Speaker 2: What what's your number one piece of advice you give people that ask you for advice?
Speaker 5: I think by the best advice I have is to just be yourself and be authentic. Don't try and be somebody else, you know, because if you try and be somebody else, you're not gonna be as good as the other person.
Speaker 3: Is that being themselves?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: I like that what's your what's your best piece of advice?
Speaker 2: I always tell people that trying to do what we're doing, like in whatever form we're doing it in right now we're podcasting. But you know, I always say, you know, try to take any job within your job that you feel the most uncomfortable. So if you have no idea about doing how to do tape and you're supposed to be editing, you supposed to be editing tape. But it's a it's an option you could take, do it. You know, if you're not a writer at all and there's an option you can write and do some writing, try it out, because I mean, the more of those random skills you can pick up, especially in this world, like the TV editing world.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're a good example of this.
Speaker 2: You're a guy that had absolutely no idea how to do a lot of this stuff and just kind of threw himself in it. And look at you, you're a you're a star.
Speaker 3: Then that's that you shouldn't use that term around me?
Speaker 4: Star? Why is that just.
Speaker 3: I'm a schmuck?
Speaker 5: But but yeah, that's the thing. If you gotta learn how to do everything. I mean, if you go listen to the early Friday audio, it's brutal.
Speaker 4: What were you recorded on? I was.
Speaker 5: I was playing it through my computer the speakers on my laptop and recording it on my phone.
Speaker 4: I gotta go back and listen to some of them.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know how to ask a question either. That's the other thing.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been to the waste management before?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Would you you? Would you want to come?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Yeah, I could come. I would come.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's.
Speaker 4: A great event to come see see.
Speaker 3: The thing is like I don't want to go as a pressman.
Speaker 4: Don't go as a pressman man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I want to go be a fan.
Speaker 4: Sit in the stands, get worse for the wear.
Speaker 3: Maybe I might drink my athletic What.
Speaker 4: If you came now as yourself?
Speaker 2: But you wanted to be a fan, would you Would you get a little crooked and accept the nice pans you're gonna get offered for the for like the box seats.
Speaker 3: Absolutely okay, that was making I.
Speaker 4: Was going to actually make fun of you if you said, no, I'm.
Speaker 3: All in on big hospital.
Speaker 4: You gotta come next year. Do you want to come next year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll come next year.
Speaker 2: How many tournaments do you think you guys have actually gone together.
Speaker 4: When you said you're gonna go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we went to the Masters, the US Open, and we were at the PGA together last year.
Speaker 4: And how many of y'all said you're going to go to.
Speaker 5: Well, we talked about going to like five last year, five off the beaten path once and we none of those. I went to the BMW last year too. This year I'm going to go to some more.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta come to the amateur. You gotta come to abandon cover the am.
Speaker 5: That's not gonna happen. It's a bad time of year for me. There you go, all right, But you got any partying thoughts? We could do news. If anybody's listening to know, God save your soul, you lose you you just listening. I got a spotty, spotty connection here.
Speaker 4: That's what happened there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm I'm on a Wi Fi hotel I Fi. You got anything other thoughts?
Speaker 4: You're in Orlando.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've been in Orlando. That's whole time. I got like a seven am flight tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I thought you were already home. No, this is way more amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm in Orlando. I'm leaving early tomorrow.
Speaker 4: All right, you're gonna go. You're gonna go to Rocko's Tacos.
Speaker 3: No, I'm leaving. All right. You gotta hate partying thoughts.
Speaker 4: Shade.
Speaker 2: Partying thoughts. I'm excited for the weekend. You know what, I'll tell you this. Here's my parting thought. I'm really excited for the super Bowl, as much as excited as I've been in a long time for Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've just everything's been damping by Kobe.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: It's been a weird week because of the Kobe thing, and it's been somber, and it's just been a bummer and you just feel for everybody involved in it. And but I feel like, you know, there's like that transition of your kind of watching something. I just feel like people are going to get together for Super Bowl parties and be able to kind of like hang out with people they like and watch a game. And I'm just excited that it's like again, like these are probably the two best teams in the NFL, and I feel like that isn't always what happens in Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: You know, Hey, do you want to make a bet?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: What's the line?
Speaker 4: One and a half?
Speaker 3: Who do you want?
Speaker 4: Oh? I mean I think I think San Francisco is gonna win.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll take the Chiefs. That's fine.
Speaker 5: I'm fine taking the Chiefs. What you texted me about some bet the other day? You wanted to make a bet?
Speaker 4: So that's what it is. I mean, that's not very much fun. We don't even know what it is.
Speaker 3: Didn't you text me about it? Bet? I don't know if somebody's gonna come up with a good bet.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm down to do something. Well, people listening? You made it this God love. You think of something and we'll try to.
Speaker 4: Pull it off.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this is what you texted me. I found it. You you visited uh you you visited the uh the Troops Center, the uh the station.
Speaker 2: The ball mark I got. Okay, you got to use this ball mark.
Speaker 5: For Shane text Shane texted me a picture of ball marks that are bombs.
Speaker 3: Let's say, kaboom baby.
Speaker 4: So i'll you you use that for your ballmarker for the next ten rounds?
Speaker 3: Ten rounds? Has it.
Speaker 4: One hundred rounds?
Speaker 3: I'll probably lose it before then.
Speaker 4: That I was That's literally what.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say was there's no chance you'll be able to keep it for a hundred rounds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, and then I'll come up with something for you. I got I gotta think of something for you.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 5: I'll come up with something. But yeah, that's a good bet. I'll use that kaboom baby. I gotta buy it too, right, Uh.
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 4: You know what I'll buy it you used, I can.
Speaker 5: Buy it extra pain and suffering, Like it probably costs like one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited. I'm really I'm really excited. Maybe you have to use it for a year.
Speaker 3: I'll use it until I lose it. How about that.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm trying to think of something for me. I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Come up with something.
Speaker 5: I'm tired. I gotta go to sleep. I've had a long day. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Everybody. Check out Get a Get a Grip podcast.
Speaker 4: Nice subscribe to do it Monday.
Speaker 3: Big Monday Drop. I'm going to tune in.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Thanks to all the shotgunners. I love you guys. It's uh in.
Speaker 2: This again is one of my favorite, if not my favorite podcasts in the world.
Speaker 4: So thanks for having me on.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks for coming to the rescue for BP. We're gonna cancel tonight.
Speaker 2: Hey, and thoughts to BP. I hope he feels better, big big guy, feel.
Speaker 3: Better, laid out, just gone.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking about him, man. I think I gotta I gotta send him a text. I gotta send him a note and say we're all. He feels better. We got to get him back for Monday.
Speaker 3: I need him Monday.
Speaker 4: Keep the train on the tracks, all right, all.
Speaker 5: Right, thanks Shane. We're cutting this. We don't we don't want any more anymore anymore. Off the Rails Commentary
Speaker 4: M