Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 2: Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 3: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 2: You have to think about up front who's doing what and who is responsible for what, especially in partnerships and when it's just you it's cool. Everything falls on you when you start needing to answer questions and you're being checked by people. It's good to be able to say no, this is the rules, this is what we said, this is what we agreed on. People are emotional, and emotions in business do not mix. They may say, oh, well, I'm gonna buying I need some money, so I want to take out some money from the business. No, no, we said that the money was locked up. It's a lock up. Nobody's taking any distributions for the first two years. That now makes it a personal problem and not a business problem. And we agreed on this. My graduates from my school being forced back drop drop drop, backdrop.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, welcome back, e y l. This is a very nostalgic episode. I'll explain. So, you know, we started earning Alesia and the original concept was just me and Troy and we were talking about like different relevant stuff and pop culture relating into business, business case studies, things of that nature. And we didn't have any guests.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, just us.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then the first guest that we had episode eight eight.
Speaker 5: You said, let's just invite somebody man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, yes, Miss Business. So I met I met, I met Miss Business through MG shot at MG went to his workshop that he had. I spoke at his workshop, and this is two years ago and going on three years man almost three, but it's like it was like two because we didn't have a guest. We start, yeah, like two and a half years ago. To long story short, I met Miss Business there and you know, the accounting CPA. So around that time, Amazon had a big story in the news where they didn't pay any federal taxes taxes federal right, no federal taxes. Yeah, and they had made like eighteen billion dollars that year and they didn't pay any taxes. So it was a real big trending topic. So I'm like, all, this is the perfect time to actually talk about this, but instead of me and Troy talking about it's bring an expert in to talk about it, and then not only talk about that, but to give general you know, tax tips because for like, taxes was something that was very, very important. So, long story short, inviting Miss Business and she was the first guest of E Y L. And then I was opened up the floodgates for everybody.
Speaker 5: Everybody about you did have me.
Speaker 2: Talking about we were talking about every brother. Yeah, I believe that was two years ago. Yeah, that was that has happened in two years.
Speaker 5: A lot has happened, a lot of things in change, a lot of things.
Speaker 2: We was at the we was at the dining room table.
Speaker 5: This is a fact. Now I just eat dinner there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is a fact. So so this is a full circles moment. So if you're familiar with us, then you're probably familiar with miss Business CPA short in there and she's been one of these people that's kind of been a fiction with ey L where she's done events for us. She's did market Mondays, We've done YouTube live, We've done she's done taught a lot of classes for Eyo University. She's been she's been with us, kind of like how MG has been with us, but we have not done a follow up episode. So I thought this was the perfect time and for a follow up episode. Different topic though this time is probably one of the most requested topics that we have ever had, where it's like we talk about business so so much, and one of the top topics is how do you start a business? Like what is the steps to start a business? From setting up an LLC to setting up EI in number, the bank account, the idea of actually starting a business, the operation agreements, and then once you have a business, as far as how do you put stuff in your business name, how do you take tax deductions? Yeah, all of that stuff. Retirement, how do you sort of retirement plans, How do you hire employees? How do you put employees on payroll? So much stuff. It's like, you know, even if you go to business school, a lot of this stuff is not taught. Most of the stuff's taught in business school is like more theory, things of that nature, supplying demand charts. But this is real world business and what happens is most of the time is that you just learn as you go. The problem with learning as you go is that you make a lot of mistakes, and you can avoid some mistakes if you have some level of mentorship. And this is what EYO has become, kind of like mentorship and the sorts. So this conversation is extremely important. We're gonna be talking about how to start a business, how to keep the business afloat, how to run a business, operations, everything you need to know to have a successful business this year, next year, and every year. So first and foremost, thank you for joining us, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, Thank you for having me again.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, now back. This is you know what, it's also perfect timing.
Speaker 3: We just saw of report that four point five million people quit their jobs, right, and we saw that a lot of people are not they're not going back to work, but they are becoming entrepreneurs. So we saw the ADP numbers rise, and so that's an encouraging sign, especially if you're looking at like who's trying to start their own business.
Speaker 5: So this is the absolute pristine time and.
Speaker 2: The perfect way to start the year, perfect way to start on twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: Indeed, that's a fact. Yes, that's a fact. A lot of people have New Year's resolutions of starting a business. So what better way. And even if you have a business, this is gonna be information that you can usually take your business to the next level and just run things more efficiently. So all right, not even gonna waste any time. Let's get into it. So the first question that I have we're gonna start from like the beginning all the way to the end, is choosing a business. Like when you're considering a business, you have passion projects and you have businesses. A lot of times people start businesses for the wrong reasons. They start the wrong businesses. So what are your advice as far as like starting a business idea?
Speaker 2: So when people have everyone has ideas, right, I believe that we're all phenomenal and we all have these amazing ideas. However, I think that when you're considering I say passion versus profit, because you hear all the time you need to like follow your passion, and you need to follow your passion, and sometimes that passion leaves you broke right, And so I think that when you are thinking about all these different ideas that you have, you have to think about what is going to turn me a profit, so that way it will allow me to then go after my passion and then serve my passion. If your passion happens to serve you and turn you a profit, then congratulations. But most of the time people are just one looking at what other people are doing, and that's not the right thing to do. You have to think about what's important to me. What problem am I solving?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like with you guys, you guys came out and yes you were talking about financial literacy, but you were presenting it in a more digestible manner. You knew that you like the culture needed to hear financial literacy from a different perspective, and so just thinking about, Okay, what what is the market missing? What can I add? What's important to me? Answer all of those questions and then say, okay, I'm going to first do this one thing because that's important. One thing is important because people will say I want to do real estate, I want to start t shirts, I want to you know, do a sock line, and they will try to do everything at one time. You can do that. So I think the first thing is becoming very clear on what is that first thing that you're going to put out that's going to either be your your passion if it turns a profit. If and this is my opinion, you guys can say what you think. I think that people should go after it should be what's important to them. But I think that you should figure out how can you make an impact while making a profit to then do all the things that you know make you feel all gushy inside. So what do you guys think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was told like, if it doesn't make profit, it's not your passion, Like then you're just having a hobby. It's something that you like to do, but it's not something that you necessarily should be doing. Right, you're not passionate about it. You got to find out how can I add value?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Once I have those things all right, this is my passion, I've added value. Now what like I got to crumb up with a business name or something like. That's what's the next thing I want to do.
Speaker 2: So after you figure out and you're very clear on what product or service you're going to offer, the next thing that you have to consider is your name. So your business name is going to be everything, right, because this is what people are one going to refer you, refer to you as as well as thinking about and considering what does that mean in the future, how will that affect funding? Like a lot of people are denied regularly for loans or any type of line or credit because they may put investments or real estate in their name. Lenders are like, no, that's risky, right if you put that you I don't know you do anything risky. The bank is going to be like, no, I'm not approving that loan because guess what, I don't know if I'm going to get my money back. And that's the only thing that any lender or investor cares about. How am I going to get my money back? So you have to think about a name that one represents your brand and two is not going to mess you up with lenders.
Speaker 4: Let's talk. Let's get right into this conversation of name since you brought it up first. You also want to make sure you have a name that is original and not trademarked, right, yes, So how can you search that to know if the name is actually something that you're not going to get sued for because somebody else is already using.
Speaker 2: So before starting any business or putting out any slogans, you have to make sure that it's not already in use. If another business already has it trademarked, then you have to consider the fact that you probably can't use it. And so you want to go on the USPTO's website and search to confirm to see if that name is available. Okay, So that is like step one or step two, because you want to check your LLC's, which I'm sure we're going to get into. Yeah, right, But you want to make sure that the point is that you want to make sure that you're not infringing on someone else's business. You don't want to sit down and create products and packaging and create an entire brand, and you're ranting and raving about it for you to just receive a cease and desist letter from another business because you're infringing on their brand.
Speaker 3: So yeah, a lot of times people just come out with things and put it on their product and then you get to see some desist letter. But also one of those things you got to look at is what the actual slogan is or the name is being used for because there's different categories right, different category. It could be for clothing and good for food, it could be for educational purposes. So you got to make sure you look at all those things.
Speaker 2: Yep. Because I and I actually got this information very early on from the BIS lawyer. She does all of my she does all of my trademarks, and so she had to break it down to me. She's like, because when I first tried to do miss business, there was like all these different categories and I'm like, well, I want to do this and I want a trademarked in this category, in that category. And so I actually got an office action because there was someone else in education. We fought it and I own this business now. However, it's so important to understand, and there's all. She gives an example where it's like, you have Pandora Music, but then you have Pandora Jewelry, right, so those are two different categories. But what's happening is that you can literally have businesses with the same name but just in two different categories because it's all about what a consumer can identify as your brand. So no one's gonna like think that Pandora Music is Pandora Jewelry. Right, It's two different things. So we have to uh, we have to think. That's an amazing example. When she Yeah, when she talked about that, I was like, oh, wow.
Speaker 4: You're right unless but that's why. Also if you get trademarks, because you never know, you might want to start at one thing and then go to another thing later on where you're not you might start as a clothing line and you're thinking that's only going to start as a clothing line. But using references, Griselda shout out to Benny the Butcher and West Side Gun and Conway. You up on them, I'm not heard.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I'm I no, no, I know I know who they are. I know who they are and I like their music. But to be honest with you, I just listened to.
Speaker 4: Safe Bet, but I used them because they started as a fashion line, so even their drop is like Risel the fashion Rebels. But obviously now they're in music, so I don't necessarily know if that was the original plan to go to music, but let's say that wasn't the original plan. They started as a fashion clothing company, but now they're a music company. So I say that to say it's good to kind of trademark as many different things as possible because you never know where your business is going.
Speaker 2: To take and being able to look into the future too. Sometimes we're thinking too small. So to your point, it's like, and figure out what your gateway is going to be to get into different industries. So it looks like they reversed it, and that's why I was so shocked to know that they first got into fashion then went to music, because most people go into music then go into fashion, right, So it's it looked like they said, you know what, we're going to do fashion and then we're going to go into music, because maybe they felt that it was a good marketing strategy, but sometimes just kind of figuring out, like what's going to be your can't do it to get to the masses is important and you want to make sure that you're protecting yourself at every aspect.
Speaker 3: There was these two guys from Greenberg that had a slogan that had access liabilities on the shirts to start as closing and ended up at the TV.
Speaker 2: You might know them or you may not.
Speaker 3: Also, this is true too, right, not only trademarking the category, but trademarking.
Speaker 5: The place you are, like location.
Speaker 3: So like having a trademark in the United States doesn't mean that it's trademarking Europe and Asia.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that. Let's talk about that, right, because a trademark is federal, right, So federal meaning that it's going to cover you throughout the US. But as you mentioned, that does not cover other countries. And are we going to get to LLC's Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, but yeah, so like LLC's as an example, we could go back into it, but LLCs is more so going is more so registering on the state level, right, And then people will always ask me about let's say, like a DBA that's registering it on the county level, right, So you have to be careful and understand what you're protecting and at what level you're protecting, because if you you know, someone can take your same name in a different state and then start a business because you only you know, register in that state. But if you do your trademark, that's going to protect you federally. Right, So the.
Speaker 3: Price is not that much when you do like well LLCs or trademarks, it's like maybe a couple hundred dollars, maybe a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Unless you gotta fight it. But yeah, it's not fast, it's not that up yet.
Speaker 5: It's not to national a little bit more expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about, all right, starting it your business yourself or working with partners.
Speaker 3: This episode of Erni a Lisia is brought to you by McDonald's, proudly serving communities since nineteen sixty five. McDonald's is more than just a place to get tasty, affordable food. Over the years, has become a staple in our community. It's the place you're guaranteed to see teammates after a big game because everyone.
Speaker 5: Is headed to Mickey D's win or lose.
Speaker 3: When I stop in for my morning breakfast of three hot cakes and a hash brown, seeing students using the Wi Fi for their social media is all part of the routine. It's become the epicenter of the community, whether it's gathering for a birthday party and we've all been to a McDonald's birthday party, or the place that someone receives their first job. McDonald's grows with his patrons, which makes it the go to place generation after generation by McDonald's. I'm loving it.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm the accountant, so I get all the information, right, so people have to consider what I like to say every time someone comes to me and they're asking should I start a business by myself or should I get partners? Sometimes people are getting partners for the wrong reason. They're getting partners because they want someone to lean on. When this person does not provide any sort of value to you at all. It's just someone that you can talk to. People want a therapist, right, They want a therapist. They want someone that they can bring along on their journey. So that way it can you know, be I guess, yeah, they can have a partner. They can have somebody to go along and showed a lean as I said, a therapist. But business is so business is so complicated and there's so many decisions that's going to be made that you want to make sure that if you are partnering with someone that they are of benefit to the business. And so there's so many different ways when you have partners everyone doesn't have to be in the forefront. You may have someone that is a partner for you, but it may be on a monetary perspective, right, you may need their capital, or you may need someone that they may have the knowledge. You may have the capital, you may have the time, they may have the capital. But let's say both you have the capitol, but nobody has the knowledge. What are you doing right? You know? And so I've seen so many partnerships come together and then dissolve. Like I've literally had people form an entity with me and then on the phone because they could not get things together, dissolve the company right on the phone with me, like you know what, let's just dissolve this. And that's because they did not do their due diligence upfront and they were just trying so desperately to make it work. Guard your ideas. I find that sometimes there's usually a group of people in a room and they're just like, hey, yeah, I want to start this business, you want to start it with me? It's like who makes this person qualified to start a business with you? And so that's the first thing that you have to do. Really figure out what asset is this is this partner going to be an asset or they going to be a liability and so figuring that out and what they bring to the table is going to be extremely important. Then deciding based on their value in the business, what ownership percentage do they have? Do they does that automatically entitle them to fifty percent of your business? Did you already have a concept already proven? Have you already did all the research? What exactly are they coming with? They may only need twenty five percent, they may need ten percent, they may need fifty percent. You really need to consider if you're giving away fifty one percent, because that's control, right.
Speaker 5: These a real conversation.
Speaker 2: These are real conversations that people are not having. And as we move into this space where there's so many entrepreneurs, that's kind of like how miss business started because I was looking around at the time, I was in corporate and I'm looking around and everybody's having the conversation about, oh, we're gonna get this money. We're gonna get this money. We're gonna get this money. I'm like, whoa hold up? What about taxes? Right? And so now what I'm sitting back and I'm looking at is COVID happen. Everybody has some time, you guys educate in the world on what's possible, and now everyone knows what their options are. However, no one has that blueprint or someone to be like, listen, this is you know what you need to do. So there's a ton of LLCs being created, but not a ton of profitable businesses. And as I say, I'm on the accounting side, so I know everything right, like who's profiting, who's not, who's you know, doing business for free? You know who can't get it together? And so it really is, you know a lot of things that we have to also pay attention to if we are going to start these businesses as well as be profitable.
Speaker 5: So so you said LLCs, you can do that by yourself, right.
Speaker 2: You can definitely form your LLC by yourself.
Speaker 5: You can do it with partners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can definitely form an LLC if you have partners.
Speaker 5: What's that process like?
Speaker 2: So you definitely Okay, So there's a two step process when you're forming an LLC. As I mentioned, an LLC is when you are forming your business on the state level. So you have to register your articles of organization with your Secretary of State, and as I mentioned, that's on the state level. You then need to apply for your ei IN number, so your ei IN number is federal. That's done with the IRS. You have to do both, and it's best if you do both around the same time because December, so many people will rush and be like, oh my god, like I haven't articles, but now I need an ei IN And it's like some people now don't have their ei IN until twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: That's like the tax identification.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's their tax identified So that's your employer identification number.
Speaker 4: That's like your Social Security number.
Speaker 2: That's what I call it. It's like your Social Security number for your business. So going forward, you're no longer providing your name and social You're providing your business name that you formed with the state, and then you are going to provide your ei IN that you've formed with the IRS.
Speaker 4: So all right, let's get into this conversations. We're talking about this LLC. What's the difference between LLC C CORP. There's different ways you can form the business, yes, with some pros and cons and yeah, talk about that perfect.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about when you're registering, you have to consider just like you're just like choosing a partner, you have to decide what entity type you are going to choose, because it's more than like the same process with registering your LLC. If you decide to be a corporation, then you would register your corporation with the Secretary of State as well. But one thing that you have to consider is if you choose an LLC, that's telling the IRS that you want to be taxed as an LLC. If you choose a corporation, that's telling the IRS that you want to be taxed as a corporation. So the difference between all of let's say, let's start with LLCs because that's the popular entity as I.
Speaker 4: Call it, limited liability, limited.
Speaker 2: Liability company, limited liability company, and an LLC is not a tax structure and LLC is a legal structure. So what that means is that if you form an LLC, it does not allow you to write off anything additional. Then if you are operating as a sole proprietorship, meaning that you did not register your business. So the reason why as an LLC you can write off the same thing. So I have so many people that come to me all the time and they'll say, I want to start a business, and I want to start an LLC because I want to be able to write these things off. You can write it off. You can still write it off if you're operating as a sole proprietorship. The big benefit with an LLC is that it protects you against liability. So if you are if someone were to sue you, they and you're operating as a sole proprietorship, then now your personal assets, your home, your stocks. I know you guys, you know have everybody invest in you guys, have everyone invested in stocks. But these are assets. And so if you decide today to start a business and then someone sues you, they will now all of your assets. You know, your cash, your personal your home, your primary residents, your stocks, that will now all be at liberty in that lawsuit because there's no separation between you and the business as a sole proprietorship. But if you're an LLC, then what happens is if you were sue then they're just suing the business, they're not necessarily suing you. Okay, so that is something to consider. Now from the tax side of things, with a sole proprietorship or an LLC, what happens is that you have to worry about self employment tax. So now when you're getting taxed, you're worried about your your income tax on the federal side, your income tax on the state side, and then you also have self employment tax, which is about fifteen point three percent additional on top of that. And to drive it home to people, I always say, would you allow somebody to walk up to you and just say, let me get fifteen point three percent of your business, you would look at them like they're crazy. But because it's the irs, most people are not questioning it because they're afraid to actually, Well, one, I think they're afraid, but then I also think that people don't understand taxes, so they'll just say, you know what, I'm gonna just like I'm gonna just pay whatever, and not really looking at exactly what's what's due. So, I mean, what's the taxes are made up of? Right, And so that fifteen point three percent is a lot. It's a lot. So that's what you're looking at. And so that's pretty much a con of an LLC. Right, that's a con because you have to pay that additional fifteen point three percent. Now let's talk about a corporation. So corporations does have a pro of it depending on how much money you make. A pro of a corporation is that there's a flat tax twenty one percent for a corporation. However, however, you have to consider double taxation. So now that's the con. The con with double taxation is that you have to pay taxes on the business side, that's twenty one percent, but then profits then have to be distributed to the shareholders. I if it's just you as the owner, then you would be that shareholder and then profits will need to be distributed to you. So you have to consider that as well. And so it's very and you know, I like to just talk about let's say Apple. With Apple, Apple is paying taxes at the business level and then they distribute out the dividends to all of the shareholders. The dividends then have to be reported on the personal tax return and then from there you then have to pay tax on it again. Right, So that's pretty much how it works when you have a corporation, and a lot of people will form corporations either if they're grossing a lot of money or if it's a situation where they may have investors or they want to go public. Situations and scenarios like that will require you to be operating as a as a corporation versus an LLC.
Speaker 3: In an example that you just gave it, but the dividend payment, what tax does that on? Does it matter how long you held the position, is it short term or is it like a flat tax?
Speaker 5: Short term? Long term?
Speaker 2: Short term and long term are taxed differently. So short term capital gains mean in less than one year is tax at your ordinary income tax rate. So just as though you were working at a job, you have those you based it's going to be based on a bracket. Right. Long term it's also based on a bracket. However, the brackets are much larger. So as an example, if you are married filing joint and you have let's say marry filing joint and you have long short term capital gains from about zero to about forty thousand, you have like zero capital gains in short term no sorry, ten percent capital gains, but if you are married, filing joyed with long term capital gains, and let's say you profited forty thousand dollars, you would have no tax, no tax liability, it would be zero. So the idea, as we always talk about, is that the tax code is a series of incentives. The government wants you to keep your money in the stock market longer because it's driving the economy. So therefore they're going to reward you having your your money in sitting in the stock market a lot, you know, a lot longer. So if you want to like be in and out of trades on a daily then they're like, okay, well that we're going to tax that as earned income. So that's something to think about.
Speaker 4: So all right, let's talk about the C corp escorp. So the C corp you got to put yourself on salary, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Secorp you have to put yourself on salary as well as an escort.
Speaker 4: Okay, And so the benefit, the main benefit with the C corp and the escorp as opposed to the LLC is that you save money in taxes.
Speaker 2: Correct, all right, So it depends it depends in the C corp. So C corp you really start to save on taxes. If you're making I want to say anything over let's say like three or four hundred thousand dollars right now, you are saving because what happens on the individual side is that tax rate is that like forty percent. So if I can just pay a flat rate of let's say twenty one percent. It gets very complicated, right with a with a corporation, But there are instances with a corporation where you are saving significantly more if you are profiting more because you know, with a corporation you may have different things that you need to set money aside for for future use, and it's it gets a little complicated, more tax plan and stuff. But a corporation out the gate unless you are I do have some clients that start businesses and they are like, listen, I have these big contracts waiting for me. But it may make sense for you to either start out as an LLC or an escort because you can always change, right if you start out.
Speaker 4: So as an LLC, you can always change.
Speaker 2: If you are an LLC, you can always elect to be taxed as an escort, or you can elect to be taxed as a corporation.
Speaker 4: What about a DBA. What's a DBA.
Speaker 2: So a DBA just means that you're doing business as. So that means if you, let's say you didn't register your business and you wanted to just follow a DBA, you're saying, all right, well, I'm operating a business and this is what I'm doing business as. You also have an option if you're an LLC. Two, sorry, if you're an LLC, to say I said that my business name is earned your Leisure, but we want to go by assets over reliabilities, so we'll be doing business as assets over reliability.
Speaker 3: So in the LLC, now you said, the difference obviously in the corpse as corpse corpse is yet you got to pay yourself a salary. And so when you pay yourself a salary, now that's when you can have set by our ads and four one ks as opposed to LLC.
Speaker 5: Is that correct or no?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, you can have it in an LLC. So let's just talk about s corpse because everyone loves escorpse now, so let me just break ESEs corpse down a little bit. So with an s corp, you do have two main requirements. One is to pay yourself a salary and the others to file your taxes every single year with pay yourself a salary. What happens, as I mentioned before, you will go you'll have Well, what I mentioned before with the LLC is that you on one hundred thousand dollars, you still have to worry about that self employment tax. With an ES corp, you don't have to worry about the self employment tax on your total profit. What happens is self employment tax is really made up of Social Security tax and Medicare tax. So when you are an employee, if you look at your W two, you have Social Security tax and Medicare tax. But when you are the employee, you pay half and your employer pays tax. So you guys are splitting it. But when you are the employer, you're required you're responsible for paying one hundred percent. And that's how we get to that fifteen point three percent, right. And so now when you're an ES corp, your only requirement is to pay yourself a salary. So when you pay yourself a salary, you let's say, and let's say it was one hundred thousand dollars profit, and you may say, you know, well, I'm going to pay myself irs just says that you have to pay yourself a reasonable salary. It's not like a specific number or percentage. So let's just say you say, you know what I'm going to pay myself thirty five thousand dollars. You go from paying that Social Security tax and Medicare tax on that whole one hundred thousand as a LLC or a sole proprietorship to only paying it on that thirty five thousand dollars as an es CORP. So that's how you're able to save. That's how you're able to save on the s CORP side.
Speaker 4: So okay, so let's talk about registering a business. So what is the process you have? Okay, you got the trademark, what is the process of actually doing the business registration?
Speaker 2: So the things that you want to make sure that you have when you're registering your business is, again, you want to make sure that you have your business name on every state's website. They have a function for you to check to see if your name is already taken, so you want to make sure that you know your name is available. So after determining if your name is available, the things that you'll need to consider and think about is your address right, Like, so that's one thing. What is going to be your business address along with your name. Another way to get denied for funding is the address. So if you're putting your personal home address as your business address, there's instances where lenders will deny you because they're going to do a quick search and your house is going to pop up on Google Maps, right, and so that has to be considered. What's going to be your business address? I suggest getting a virtual address if you do not have an address. Virtual addresses are perfect and you can utilize them in so many different ways. Like when I first started my company, I was working from home and I had a virtual address. It was on Fifth Avenue. I had to you get an option to choose, so I was like, oh, put me on Fifth Avenue in the city. And so I'm in this big high rise in mahaees and in the city. And then they also with virtual offices, they'll have different options. So they'll have one option where they can you can just use their address, or they have other options where they can act as like your receptionists, so they'll pick up the phone and they'll, you know, just say hi, Brock's Alliance, right, And so people were like, oh, can I speak to Shiquana and then they'll transfer it to my cell phone. Right, So nobody knew, but I needed that virtual address when I first started, when I was registering in my business, because I knew going into it I wanted to build business credit. And so because I knew that I wanted to build business credit, I had to make sure that I, you know, did all the things that I needed to do, and one of those was making sure that I wasn't using my home address. So that's the next thing that you have to think about. After that, you have to think about who is going to act as your registered agent. As a register register agent just pretty much means who's going to be served? If somebody comes to sue you, who's going to be served? And you have to think about with a registered agent, there are requirements. The space needs to be opened during regular business hours, There needs to be somebody that they could technically come and serve, and so you have to think about that are you are you and your do you want people rolling up to your home address to serve you? And you have to think about that all of this information is public, right, and so you may not want the entire world to be able to you know, see you know where you live, and depending on the state, not all states, they'll make your address public, but the registered agent address is public, so you have to think about that, right so with the registered agent. So with the registered agent address, you have to think about do you want to be the you know, the registered agent or do you want to hire a registered agent right to to get served on your behalf. Keep in mind, no, you do not need to be there. If you put them down as your registered agent and someone comes to serve you, then they are still serving you because that's who you put down as your register agent. And outside of that, it's just really your name, your business address, your register agent. Make sure you fil you know, you have to pay filing fees, and most states ninety percent of them, you can do this all electronically, some dates. Most some states have like you know, a waiting process. Other states that it's automatic. But the ideas that you can do it online. It's not like somewhere that you have to go to to get it done.
Speaker 3: One of the things you said inside of creating that that business, we got the name, but you said to operating agreement is one of those things that you have to have. So I want to make sure everybody understands, like what needs to be inside of the operating agreement when it is created?
Speaker 2: What really okay? Yes, so after you register your business, then you have your EI in. Now you have to think about those supporting documents, those documents that's going to dictate what happens in the business. Again, there has to be a lot of thought put into a business before for the business starts, and most people don't do this. So in an operating agreement, it's to make it very simple. It's the rules of the business. This is where you detail out if there's multiple owners who, what ownership percentage each member has, how will the profits be split, who's responsible, who is the operating manager of the business, who has access to the bank. Because when sometimes most of the time if it's just one person, it's two people, they'll say, okay, everyone has access to the bank, and that's fine, But what if you had a silent partner and they didn't necessarily need access to the bank. You have to detail all of these things out and so really establishing at what point are you going to share those profits at you? Is it a specific date, is it at a specific time. Do you want to create a lock up period meaning that you all can't touch the money at all up until a certain period. Who's going to be responsible for distributing out these funds? All of those things have to be detailed out. And I like to say when you are kind of walking through your business plan and you're thinking about it, because everyone should have a business plan, but you know, and so when you yes, so when you are walking through your business plan, you have to think about who's going to be responsible for this? Who's going to be responsible? You know, like who's your accountant? Do you have someone in your business like it is you know one of your partners. Are they really good at bookkeeping? Are you going to hire someone that's doing bookkeeping? Are they going? Is that a part of their role? Because what a lot of people don't know is let's say someone brings me into their business and they say, you know, what's business. I just want you to like, I I love your brand. I just want your brand to be associated with this business. And I also just want you to do that accounting. But then down the line you sit me down and you're like, yeah, I want you to do marketing and I want you to work in a store too. That's out of the scope on what's and I will operate an agreement that I agree to. Now, in theory, yes is my business. I should go as hard you know. However, you can also say, all right, well as a business, I mean, that's not what I signed up for for this business. So I want to be paid additional. That's what's called guarantee payments. So with those guarantee payments that you're saying, okay, well, I'm going like I'm going to be paid out of the business. Yes, I'm an owner, but I'm going to be paid additionally before you know, these additional services, and so you have to think about up front who's doing what and who is responsible for what, especially in partnerships and when it's just you, it's cool. Everything falls on you, right, you don't have anyone to answer to. But when you start needing to answer questions and you're being checked by people, it's good to be able to say, no, this is the rules, this is what we said, this is what we agreed on. Because people are emotional, right, So people are emotional and emotions in business do not mix. So they may say, oh, well, I'm gonna buying. I need some money, so I want to take out some money from the business. No, no, we said that the money was locked up. It's a lock up. Nobody's taking any distributions for the first two years. That now makes it a personal problem and not a business problem. And we agreed on this, you know. And so I see a lot of partnerships dissolve a lot because no one took the time to say what the rules were in the beginning.
Speaker 4: Exc So as far as the EI in, you go on the government's website, you set the EI in up and that's like same day turnaround, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same day turnaround. So there's.
Speaker 5: Earners. What's up?
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square.
Speaker 5: We love supporting.
Speaker 3: Businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence.
Speaker 5: All from one simple system.
Speaker 3: If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 5: What matters most ready.
Speaker 3: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about world are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring the safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC.
Speaker 6: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: There's two different ways you can apply for it. One is manually filling out a form and then faxing it over or mailing it over. Some people only have that option because sometimes keep in mind you have to make sure that your name in social matches the IRS record. So sometimes you're you are able to file it electronically and that's like same day, you'll get your EI in, same exact day. However, sometimes there will be an error message because you're let's say someone got married and the IRS may only have your you know, your maiden name and then you know you You now are trying to tell them that you know this is another name. They're like, Nope, that doesn't match our records, and now you have to like mail it in. So ninety percent of the time with my experience, people are able to do it electronically, but sometimes you will have to complete that SS four form and send it.
Speaker 4: In and then all right, so once you get the EI in number, now you can set the bank account up. You can't set the bank account up until you have the e.
Speaker 2: In right, the EI in and your articles, so those are the and sometimes you're operating agreement. So some banks will require you to have your operating agreement, your ei in as well as your articles of organization or in corporation if you're a corporation.
Speaker 3: Now, if you do it by yourself, that's fine, but if you have partner's day also need to be with you at the bank to do.
Speaker 2: This, not necessarily not all banks, and so that's important as well, just getting the communitycation to find out what the bank is looking for. So sometimes banks will allow just one of the partners to open up the bank account and then you can list out who else has sign an authority. But that's the thing. Banks will require your partners to sign, like who has signed an authority on the bank account. But in terms of opening up the bank account, depending on the bank, most of the time one person can go in and do it.
Speaker 4: So since we're on topic of banks, so a it's extremely important right for you to have money coming in and out of the business bank account. That's the whole point setting up a lot of times people running businesses and they just putting the money in their personal account, taking money out of their personal account, mingling why why why should they never do that?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you shouldn't do that because now you have to realize you have established this business. You now have an EI in that's a whole separate entity. You have to treat it as that's that's like your friend. You wouldn't come and pay your friends bills. You wouldn't your friend wouldn't deposit all their money into your bank account. You have to treat your business as a separate entity, and so that's the first thing. First thing is just legally, you're just not supposed to do it right. It's like at the end of the year, I have so many people who will say, yeah, I have an LLC and I have a bank account, but I don't use it and I ran everything under my person or I'm like, okay, well you were operating as a soul proprietorship. Because if in the event you're audited, the IRS is going to want to see your bank statements. And if you have no money coming in the bank statements, you have no expenses, what did you report? Where did this money come from? So now you're opening up a whole new can of worms, because now they want to understand where's this money that you're reporting. Are you making this up and you don't have any indication of your other business or you receiving money. So now that is important, and I stress it so much to clients, but it is hard. It's a transition, and I think that it's something that people just have to be cognizan enough. When you start this business, you have to open up your business bank account and utilize your business. If it's a situation where a lot of people have an issue at is they're like, all right, well I open up this business bank account, but my business isn't making any money, So how am I supposed to buy supplies or how am I supposed to actually pay for things? If I can't use my personal only thing you have to do is take money, transfer it from your personal over to your business. That's not considered income. It's just considered a capital contribution and to your business. And you then need to pay for all of your expenses out of your business account.
Speaker 4: What a debit card, So make sure you get a business debit card.
Speaker 2: Business debit card, credit card, or a credit card a business credit card as well. And so that is also a thing where people are like, oh my god, well I just started this business and I don't have any business credit and they're not going to approve me. So that's not true. You can, especially with the bank that you're opening up the business bank account with, you can ask, hey, I want to apply for a credit card. They may use your credit your personal credit to like as a personal guarantee to make sure. But if you have good personal credit, you can get approved or a business credit card. And just keep in mind that business credit card on a monthly basis is not going to report to your personal to your personal report. It's only going to report to the business report. Right, So it's kind of like using your personal credit as leverage to then build your business credit.
Speaker 3: So it's one of the things you said is a foundation of your businesses bookkeeping, And now that we're talking about bank acount and keeping records, I think probably that's the best way to do it right.
Speaker 5: And so what are some ways we can.
Speaker 3: Track our books or create our books and why is it the foundation of the business?
Speaker 2: Bookkeeping is the foundation of a business. It is the most looked over process in a business. Most people do not understand that you have to have bookkeeping in place in order to understand what money is coming in, what money is going out. Some people have multiple streams of income. One stream is just paying for the other stream. They're not necessarily understanding what's how they're profiting, what's doing good, Which months were they doing better and then another month, why were they doing better in that particular month, and so bookkeeping is really the foundation and for twenty twenty two, if you have a business, you will have a bookkeeping processes in place. Right, can you guys tell them that they need to have bookkeeping right?
Speaker 3: Vitally important, violently important, Like you want to know where your money is? Like you want I remember, like like fifteen years ago, I would go out with him and he would like we go out to dinnity, like, give me.
Speaker 5: To receipt, give me receipt, give me receipting. I'm like, yo, why.
Speaker 3: And I realized later like he was tracking his books. He's like, yo, this is this is my dinner. I'm taking this. I'm keeping books on myself. I'm like, oh, that's what he's doing. He's doing his own bookkeeping. Because you need to know where the money's going.
Speaker 2: You need to understand where the money is going. And again that it is so overlooked and no one is thinking about I need to tell I mean, I need to understand where my money is, Like how much money is coming in? Are you operate? You do not understand? How many people I point out, I'm like, you know you're doing business for free. You cannot afford to quit your job and then do business for free. So many people don't.
Speaker 4: Understand that's a fact. Yeah, that's a fact. But the thing about it this year, when he's referring to like years ago I had, I used to keep white envelopes and I used to label them like meals, travel equipment. It's like seven different things that you can take deductions off of it. I would keep all my receipts and then I would put the receipts in each envelope that it fit, and then at the end of the year, I would meticulously. It took me forever, but I would go through every single one and track it and be like, all right, I spent five thousand dollars on food, and even then that was my deductions for the year. So that was a manual.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the manual process that we don't have to do anymore. So I mean, listen, different things work for different people, right. However, now we have so much technology, so I use quick books with my clients. So quick books has different different levels of you may have self employed. As more complex as your business becomes, you have different options. I suggest getting like quick books, QuickBooks essentials at minimum, because when you have quick books, it does a few things. One, you're able to sink your bank accounts, so now it's not a situation where your business bank account not your personal I have so many people that come to me and their personal accounts are connected, personal credit cards are connected, their husband's accounts. I'm like, why is all this stuff in your business account? This is not business right, and so your business account should be connected to QuickBooks. What happens is that your transactions automatically sinking. You then go in and then you categorize all of your expenses, saying, okay, this went here. You know this is meals, this is travel, this was supplies, this was repairs, and then what other feature QuickBooks have that I love Because I'm bad. I'm not as organized as Rashad is with his envelopes. So for me, I have receipts everywhere. They're in my purse, in my pocket, it they're everywhere. So to for a solution for that, I started taking pictures of my receipts, because even if you hold onto receipts, receipts crumble, they fade, and I feel like that's like I felt set up. I'm like, well, I kept my GUS receipt but it's nothing on this receipt. And so what I started doing was taking pictures of the receipts, and quick books allows you to attach the receipt to the transaction, so now you don't have to worry about, you know, keeping anything like on hand, and now it can be like a total like virtual process. And so it's just like a total virtual process, and it does make a difference. While I have some clients who try to, you know, do it Excel, and that's fine, whatever works for you, I don't recommend it because as a business owner, you have enough hats to wear. The last thing that you need to do is come in every day to say this money came in. I spent this money on something that's already being recorded in your bank account anyway. So you have to get a system in place, and that's important. So bookkeeping is the foundation I tell clients, and I go back to it all the time, because even when it comes to filing your taxes, people don't understand that bookkeeping is really a requirement. They don't look at it as a requirement because the irs isn't explicitly saying you need bookkeeping. But what happens when you're audited, they need the following things. They're going to ask you for your bank statements. You cannot just provide receipts alone. Cannot just provide bank statements alone. So what they're going to look for is your bank statements. They're gonna want receipts, they're also gonna want your general ledger and your trial balance. In what your general ledger and trial balance is, which if you have quick books, it'll be an easy download for you. Your general ledger is pretty much your detail of your transactions. So let's say if you say, you know what, I had ten thousand dollars of travel, that's gonna show that one line item shows up on your trial balance travel, but said ten thousand dollars ten thousand dollars. Now in your general ledger, that's going to show all of the like what makes up that ten thousand dollars, So the hotels, the flights, the meals while you were there, and so you have to think about it's really a requirement because if you're audited, the iris want all of those things. They want to know what made up that line item You reported it on your tech you reported ten thousand dollars of travel, what makes that up. Okay, cool, you said you had some hotels, you had some flights, Okay, where does that show up on your bank statement? You said the flight was seven hundred dollars. What does the seven hundred dollars show up on your bank statement? Okay, cool, it's showed up on your bank statement. Still not enough. We still need to see the receipt, right, So you need all of those things. And then a step further. It provides insight. You don't really know, as I mentioned, where you're profiting. You know what's your profit margin, if you're doing business for free, if you need to increase your prices, you don't have that insight without having those numbers. And then final step, I can't text plan for clients that do not have bookkeeping because if I don't, if you don't know where you are, I can't help you because I can't tell you what adjustments need to be made because you don't know where you are. So without having that foundation, it's like it's so bad for your business.
Speaker 3: Word Otherwise I would say, if you're on quick books, if you're not check every month, right, because yeah, when it gets to like no November and you're looking at uncategorized purchases in February, it's going to be tough to remember, so I would suggest looking every month.
Speaker 5: Also, go through your pictures. That helps a lot.
Speaker 3: So like if you go through your pictures and you're like, wait, February fifth, where was I Oh wait, I was.
Speaker 5: Here, I was in Miami. Oh we had dinner, it kind of helps you with that as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's your strategy. That's how you answer those uncategorized transactions.
Speaker 3: For me, exactly, yeah, but it helps because like, oh, wait that we were there. Now I can explain this purse. This makes sense, So it falls in line.
Speaker 5: So at what.
Speaker 2: Point strategy should we be thank you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: At what point should we say, you know, I can do this myself. I need to hire somebody to do my quick books.
Speaker 2: Two things that you have to consider. You have to consider your capacity and you have to understand the person that you are. So what I mean by that is what is your capacity? When you first start out in your business, you are going to be wearing nine million different hats. So you are in marketing, you are in finance, you are the CEO, You're in product, you're in shipping, you you're everywhere, right, and so you have to consider as your business starts and it grows, what stays with you versus what you can outsource. Because where you put your energy, that's where it's going to pretty much flow. And so if you're putting your energy into bookkeeping, your finances may be right, but guess what your marketing may not be or your you know, the operations of the business may not be. So you have to understand what's pulling you away. And people underestimate bookkeeping in terms of the amount of time that it takes in order to be organized, and so it's so important to just consider that. Right, first thing you have to consider is Okay, do I need to be doing this or should I be hiring somebody to do this?
Speaker 5: Right I get the email, I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: That, yes, let's let's switch topics for a minute, because this is something that a lot of people will want to know. How to buy assets in your business name? What's what's the deal with that?
Speaker 2: So buying assets in your business name, you have to make sure. So first thing that you need in order to buy assets in your business name is a business bank account, right foundation, And this is what I am stressing going forward. I used to be so nice like, oh no, you know, made people feel like it was an option. It's not an option. If you're gonna thrive and you're gonna make this decision to be a business owner, you have to do what you need to do. So now, buying business in your I mean buying assets in your business name is it's amazing, right, And I love it because it's more so shifting what would typically be a personal expense and then shifting it over into your business. And so whenever you have not whenever, but most of the time, when you have an asset, you have some sort of you know, interest, because you have a loan, you can if it's personal, let's just use a Let's use a vehicle, right, because everyone loves to write off your vehicles. Jay, Remember they remember the six thousand pound roll, right that was actually about a year ago. All right, So let's talk about a vehicle. Typically, it will be your personal vehicle. You'll be paying your cardinal or your lease, your insurance, your registration, your repairs, your maintenance, everything. If you're paying it on your personal side, it would just be coming out of your personal checking account or credit card. But if it's a now, a business expense. What happens is that now you're able to write those things off, and so everyone wants to do it. But now let's talk about how you can do it. So the first thing that you want to make sure of is that you have your business bank account because lenders, again, when you go to a lender, the only thing they want to know is how are you going to pay them back? So they want to make sure that you have money coming into your account. They want to make sure that you have money going out of your account, right, and then not make sure that you have money going out of you account, but see what you're spending money on when it's going out of your account, and so that's pretty much their way to analyze what's happening. Another thing that they are going to want to see are your taxes, so they want to make sure that you can again afford to pay them back. So what exactly did you report? They will also want to see a current profit and lost statement. So let's just say right now, it's January twenty twenty two. The last tax return that was filed was twenty twenty, Right, we're gearing up to file twenty twenty one. You may say to them hey, yeah, I have my twenty twenty taxes. They're gonna say, okay, well I need a profit and loss bookkeeping. I need a profit and loss statement and a balance sheet. So that way, yeah, so that way they want to see those financials, So that way they can see what activity happen in twenty twenty one, because they still need to make sure that you didn't dissolve the business or you know, for whatever reason, it isn't operating this same and so they're going to pretty much want an update. So those things are going to be extremely important in some cases, when you are buying an asset in your business name, you also want to consider the You also want to consider if you have to be like a personal guarantee I'm sorry, personal guaranteur to the loan or if it's something you know your business can handle it. And so you have to think about all those things. And that's pretty much the things that you're gonna they're gonna look at.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, when you have to be a personal guarantee, that has to do with how old or how long you've.
Speaker 5: Been in business.
Speaker 3: Right, So, at one point, because a lot of people saying, you know what, I heard that rule I got a business, I just opened it.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go use my business to get this car. But there's a time frame that you do.
Speaker 2: There's a time frame business for yes, and every lender has a different timeframe. But typically what I see is that they're looking for you to be in business for three years or more, and they would be looking for at minimum one year of tax returns, but in most cases they'll ask for two years of tax return and of course, like your most like six months of bank statements because they want to see they want to get a full picture of what's happening.
Speaker 4: So and then the financial statement P and L. People hear about like P and L a lot, Like what is P and L? And you know what's the importance of having profit and law statements? Financial statements?
Speaker 2: Yes, so financial statements are very important because it tells the story of your business. I tell clients all the time, I really don't have to have a conversation with you if I take a look at your financials, I can kind of see exactly what's happening, right, because you'll start to see like a cause and effect. As an example, you may be doing more marketing in this particular month and your sales are going to be up. Now with a profit and lost statement. That is really just the statement that captures your revenue and your expenses. So that's important because you need to understand how much your business is profiting. That's going to tell and that is like the most That is the number one financial statement requested by lenders on a consistent basis. I think my office phone rings on a daily because people are like, I'm going for a house, some of they want a profit in law statement. I'm going for you know, some equipment, and they want a profit in law statement. That's because they want to know are you profiting? That's typically what that statement. That's what that statement is telling lenders. Are you profiting or are you operating at a loss. So it's going to report your revenue, your money in and your money out, your expenses. Now you're a balance sheet. The balance sheet is not talked about enough, but it is very important and also important to lenders because you could be making a profit and I know you guys talk about this and sort of health of companies and you know on market mondays. The balance sheet is an important statement as well because when you are looking at you need to know how much cash, Like lenders want to know how much cash do you have in the bank? Investm may want to know, right, it's not only lenders. If you are going to someone saying that you want them to invest in your business, they are going to want to know how much cash do you have in your bank? How much liability do you have? These assets of reliabilities, you guys are really like the balance sheet. Okay, so when you think of it's.
Speaker 4: An account, it's actually an accountant slogan.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 4: Everybody sees it like are you accounting? Are you an account Nobody ever, really, you know, ever thought about like put But the ironic thing about that is that when I came up with the idea as is of reliabilities, I didn't necessarily know that that was so popular in the accounting world. Oh yeah, I just thought that that was a good slogan. But it is like, yeah, like what we go by, it's an accounting term. But it's so crazy that that's nobody ever thought about putting it out there like that, like you. But every time somebody always says are you an account here, I feel like it's like an underworld society because their accounting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's what shows up on the balance sheet. Your assets, so your cash, your stocks, your real estate if you have if you know you're in the business of real estate, what your bonds, your account's receivable. So if anybody owes you money, right, that's what's gonna sit under your asset section, your liability section. If you owe somebody, the banks want to know I'm giving this person money. Who else do they owe? So that's important because if you have high revenue, but then you have high liability, technically you know you may be operating at a loss almost right if you pay these people back. Another thing that everyone is always so crazy about, you know, people's net worth. That's pretty much how you calculate somebody's net worth. You take their assets, you might as see liabilities. You also are going to take in you know, to consideration their equity and then that's how you get to the their net worth. And so yep, all right.
Speaker 3: So when we spoke about personal guarantory, that speaks to not having business credit. And so how does one build business credit if we just started our business, Like, what's the process or some steps we can take?
Speaker 2: So steps that you can take when first outing a business as we spoke about before, is that one you can leverage your personal credit to then help you build your business credit. So acting as that personal guaranteur for your business credit cards, for line of credits that is, that is like the easiest way to get approved starting out, Before you establish any sort of business credit. The second thing that you want to do is start some trade lines. So those tier one trade lines like quill and staples and you know gas cards, those are really good ways to start building your credit, your business credit. You want to make sure that whomever you're building trade lines with, and it's pretty much what you'll do is create like net thirty accounts or net sixty accounts, and what that really just what that means is that they're going to supply you a product and then you're going to pay them, but you know within thirty days, right, Once you pay them within thirty days, they will then report that to dune in Bradstreet, right. And so that's important because just like with your personal credit, you want to build up that history. When starting out, I would order stuff from Quote all the time because I needed I needed to build my business credit. I didn't need all those supplies. I would like have like big dish detergent in my house, right, But I did it because, yeah, it came in a bigger bulk, but it was something that I was going to use anyway, So instead of going to you know, a local store to buy it, I just ordered it there and they were able to report to my to Dune and Bradstreet that I was making those payments on time.
Speaker 4: So there you have it. So that's a whole lot of game. We can keep going on and on and on.
Speaker 2: We can, you know, So.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this switching gears because you know, when you go to business school and one of the things that people always ask about is like, how do I put together business plan? What happens is that nobody really ever puts together business plan. One of the reasons why they actually end up failing in business. And most of the time most businesses fail because they're not properly prepared all of this stuff that we talked about, but this is only like the chip of the iceberg. There's so much stuff, and it's like, you know, unfortunately, if you don't come from a situation where the businesses passed down to you or you have a level of mentorship, you just start in a business. Most of us just start businesses. You're just learning. But the learning curve can take you out of business if you're not successful enough. So that's something that's vitally important. It's like this is one of the most important episodes because it's like the information that you have can make or break if your business is going to survive or not. And that can Who knows, your business could be a million dollar business, multi million dollar business, a billion dollar business, but if it never actually gets a chance to get to that point, it's going to be a failure. So you decided to actually put all of your years and expertise together and create an educational portal. So what made you get into the educational component?
Speaker 2: So I got into the educational space because, as I mentioned, as the accountant, I see a lot of things. I have access to everything, and what I realized is that so many people were starting businesses, but a lot of people were not operating successful businesses. And it wasn't as you mentioned, it wasn't because they didn't have million dollar and billion dollar ideas. We see the most basic things become billion dollar ideas, and it's not because they don't have great ideas, but the execution isn't there, the resources isn't there, the understanding of what's necessary to actually build a business. I had, you know, the opportunity of being a part of a small business since I was six years old, right, So for me, I got that small business side and just really understanding like what it took to start a business, and then go in corporate understanding what corporations we're doing to operate their business their business. And so I love business. If it's one thing, I just love business, like I that's gonna be my thing forever. And so I wanted to get into the education educational space because I knew that people didn't understand how to operate businesses. And so it's cool that everybody's starting a business, but I want everybody to actually create and operate sustainable businesses that they're profiting and they're able to build, you know, this generational wealth because most of the time that is the foundation one. You first have to get the money in. So now that you get the money in your business, then you can take it and invest it and you know, then take it, you know, to that next level. And so it's important we are no longer in twenty twenty two and beyond. Twenty twenty two is Year of the bosses, Right, we are bossing up, we are doing the things that we need to do, and I want it to just be that person. Very similar to how it was with taxes. I'm like, yeah, nobody's talking about taxes. We have to make it a part of the conversation. And so now I'm like, we have to make business, like real business a part of the conversation.
Speaker 4: So you came up with the business blueprint. What is the business blueprint?
Speaker 2: The business blueprint is pretty much taking your idea and helping you execute it. So inside of the business blueprint, we're going through deciding your business name, marketing, funding. We're also talking about dissolving your business, taxes, financial statements, bookkeeping, hiring, payroll, HR, We're talking about everything, buying assets in your business name. And the best thing about it is that I've brung experts in to talk about so many of these topics. Like, yes, I took care of the you know, the business stuff and the tax thing when it came to like, you know, we have an HR expert. You know, we have we have so many people in this course and they were needed.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of them, you know a lot of you know, it's very similar to like when I said, Matt, he created the encyclopedia for real estate with the Homeboys blueprint, And when I got a chance to just check out the blueprint that you created for business, and I had never seen anything like it as far as you know, I just wrote down some notes where you have the execution, contracts, trademarks, going over business credit, business insurance, budgeting, taxes, marketing, hiring, payroll, retirement. It's like, you know, being when I was in the financial advising world. You know, people used to pay to get business plans put together. In that business plans anywhere from like two thousand to five thousand dollars for a good business plan for somebody to like put it together for you. So I had never seen anything. And that's just the business plan. That's not really the retirement part of it. That's not the payroll, that's not all of the different stuff. So it's literally the only equivalent I could really give is like going to college. It's like going to college, like if you could wrap four years business school together, and.
Speaker 2: It's like getting your MBA. This is like the NBA for small business.
Speaker 4: It's No, it definitely is. It's an online NBA program for sure, without you know, actually having to go for years, four years painting one hundred thousand dollars and taking our student loans and things of that nature. And you also have a workbook attached to it. So that's like really academic. So talk about this, talk about the work I.
Speaker 2: Was not doing this course without adding some sort of business plan and something that people can leave the course with. As you mentioned, business plans can cost from two thousand to five thousand dollars. But they're just telling you, okay, well, this is how you get started, this is what you can look forward to, right, But it's not giving you those experts and making you really think through all of these different topics. And so the workbook pretty much is going to be like a guide, a hand by a side by side, a tool that can be used with the course. So as you're going through the course, you have to complete the workbook. So as you're completing the workbook, once you're done with the course, then guess what you have? You have a business plan, So you don't need to hire somebody to do your business plan, because as you're getting all this information, you're now going to be able to write all the things down. You also have contacts, like I made sure every single person that was in this course gave the blueprint, so they gave the blueprint to their industry. You now have those people as a resource, so you don't have to worry about oh my god, I want it, like I need contracts. Who can I hire to get a contract? Nope, you have their contact right and so that's worth more than that's eliminating mistakes, Yeah, and mistakes cost in business.
Speaker 5: No one plans to fail, they just fail the plan.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty ill that you have an actual business plan when you complete the course.
Speaker 4: You also put together all star lineup where you have people talking from the car industry how to buy cars in your name. You have people from marketing industry talking about marketing. You have the business lawyer talking about you know, the aspects of that as far as actually doing it right the legal way. Of course, our good friend and our lawyers. Sabine contributed to it, Connie Falls contributed to it, and I contributed to it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, contributed to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I talked about some retirement planning, talked about buy sell agreements and yeah, I have a whole section in there, so you know, it's an amazing body of work. And once again, you know, it's something that I don't want people to necessarily look past it because yeah, it's easy to go to like, Okay, this is a course on how to make money on stocks. This is a course on how to do four x with that's exciting, but it's like, if you're starting a business, literally literally, people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm not I'm not over exaggerating that, Like if you go to any top business school, that's how much you want to pay. At least a couple hundred thousand dollars and even bigger than that. Not knowing the mistakes can cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, millions of dollars, who knows, even a billion dollars if your business isn't successful. So you know that actually, like I said to actually, you know, spend some time on the course and actually go through the course myself. I was just amazed that, you know, somebody can actually put together that much information. Like what we just did in this podcast was an hour of the course. I believe it's fifteen hours, so imagine that fifteen times. What a workbook. So thank you for putting that together. First and foremost, you're welcome. And then also in true eyl f ash, you know, anybody that has of course, because I invested in my education all the time. But one of the you know, prerequisites for anybody that comes on that has a course, we always you know, asks if they would do a deeper discount than what they're currently offering for all the earners, anybody that watches the podcast, and that's something that's exclusive where nobody else on the market has that price. We try to do that as an incentive. So you were gracious enough to oblige for that voice, So we got one thousand dollars off of the regular price. So the website is ms B the letter B Blueprint eyl dot com. That's ms B blueprint eyl dot com. Will put the link in the description of this video and then on Spotify and Apple and then also it'll be on our website on the alumni tap. But that's the only website that will have that special thousand dollars off. And once again that includes the four modules that includes everything from the idea to execution, the contracts, the trademarking information, the business credit information, the business insurance information and retirement planning information, the budgeting for your business information and taxes, the marketing, the payroll, all of that, and the workbook as well.
Speaker 2: The workbook it has a six figure of blueprint. It has a seven figure blueprint, right because as you're starting your business, most people are thinking, hey, I need to make seven figures, but hey, let's first get you the six figures. So now that you've got your six figures, then it also has a blueprint because what it took for you to make one hundred thousand and processes, the anxiety, you're gonna have to deal with some different things to get to seven figures, right, and so it also includes that. So we also talked about talk about funding in there, like there's a funding lesson and so it's literally everything that you need from A to Z as it relates to business.
Speaker 4: Better than college, way.
Speaker 2: Better than college. I went to business. I went to college study business. None of these things.
Speaker 4: Were yet telling if you don't if you don't know what you're doing, you're not going to be successful. I know that because I'm a business owner. I've been a business owner my whole life, well my whole adult life started businesses. Some businesses work, some businesses didn't work. And the ones that didn't work is because you know, you didn't have a plan and strategy in place and didn't know what we were doing. And even the ones that did work still made a lot of mistakes because you didn't know what we were doing. Just fortunate enough to get through those mistakes. But but before we leave, let's give let's give a couple more gym before we wrap up. You want to talk.
Speaker 3: About Yeah, so in true EUIO fashion, right, people had to six thousand pound, So let's give them something that's new for twenty twenty two. As far as taxes, I want to talk about payment processes third parties, specifically paid.
Speaker 2: Packs one hundred dollars cash out.
Speaker 5: Vimeo is a big thing that has changed. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So starting January twenty twenty two, I know there was a lot of speculation, but what they have settled on is that any payments that goes through payment process at third party payment processors in excess of six hundred dollars or more, you will be receiving a ten ninety nine K. So this is so important. And this is such a huge change because previously the benchmarks or the thresholds was if you made if it was two hundred transactions or twenty thousand dollars. That's now six hundred dollars. That's a big jump and a big difference, you know. So there will be a lot of ten ninety nine ks coming in the mail next year. So keep in mind January twenty twenty two is when this went into effect. Twenty twenty one, it doesn't go into effect. It's still the two hundred dollars, I mean the two hundred transactions or twenty thousand dollars. But yeah, this is a game changer because a lot of people was not reporting a lot of the money and funds that they were receiving. And so now and keep in mind it is six hundred dollars total, not six hundred dollars transactions, because I get that question all the time.
Speaker 3: So if you put something on sale and it's two hundred dollars, once that goes over three.
Speaker 5: Sales, you gotta start reporting. Yeah, So the government wants to make sure that they get all their money.
Speaker 2: They want to make sure they are not playing with this digital money they're like, wait, hold up, we do not have a holdover like a hold on this. And one more thing, because I know that you guys are like big in crypto. The irs is getting their hands wrapped around crypto as well. In twenty twenty one was the last year that washed sales was available, I mean was possible for crypto. So for those of you who are not familiar with what washells is when you sell a stock and then rebuy a stock right and then be able to recognize that loss. And so in twenty twenty one, that was the last time that you could do that. Now going forward, wash shells are not not possible with crypto.
Speaker 5: Stuff go with so volatile that that could happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could happen, Like you could be they could be December twenty fifth, you could be like, you know what, it just dropped. I'd have a loss. I'm going to you know, sell it, recognize the loss, re buy it, you know, January first, you know, just rebuy it a few days later. And so that that's a big one. That's a big one because a lot of people were offsetting a lot of their gains with those losses and then just picking up the picking up whatever coin it was in a few days, but now that's no longer possible.
Speaker 4: So there you have it, Ladies and gentlemen, whole lot of game Jeff, definitely a lot, a lot of gems, a lot of gyms. How can the people contact you? What would you like to tell the people before we wrap?
Speaker 2: So before we wrap, I want to tell the people that twenty twenty two, start your business, start it the right way. It is important. We are no longer okay or content with just having LLCs. No, we are starting profitable businesses and so do the work. Hire who you need to hire, get the education, and do what you need to do. That's like my theme, like going forward, no more babysitting it right. So that's what I want to leave you all with. In regards to contacting me, my it's business Miss Business one on one, on Instagram, in all platforms, so follow me, send me a DM, you can always email me. My website is miss Business one on one dot com, so you can always reach me through any of those platforms.
Speaker 5: Make make sure you tell it that you're an earner.
Speaker 2: Love, make sure you tell me that you are earner. I have Oh my god, we were just talking about it. I'm like, oh my god, I have you know, the earnest call and they're like, I'm an earner. I'm like, all right, you guys are VIP. Listen. If you are earner, you are VIP. So don't even worry about it.
Speaker 4: Reach out there, you have it. There, you have it, and don't forget MSB blueprint eyl dot com for the special price on the business blueprint. Everything you need to know idea. It's the execution and get the business up and running, profitable and taking it to the next level. Troy Housekeeping item.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, shout out to all our Patreon remember the shout out to ey University, all our earners that are in there.
Speaker 5: Shout out to the merse team and shout out to you.
Speaker 3: This is episode number two, which now means that just let him in jacket or maybe let him in sweater card again. Yes, yeah, I mean, I mean not many people have two episodes or earning leaders.
Speaker 5: So thank you. Appreciate for coming and giving so much game. We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, take execution. Let's make this year great. Thank you for rocking orders. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: My graduates from my school being force back.
Speaker 4: Drop bag drop drop droft.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine near one thousand dollars a day. Imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 2: Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 5: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,