Speaker 1: And now proper wat my mic back like that.
Speaker 2: Strike headquarters, it's behind.
Speaker 3: And those are you just tuning in the civic cyper. I'm your host, Ramsey's job job.
Speaker 1: I am frust I know left you, but I am discouraged because of an earlier topic, heartbroken and uh less and less hopeful.
Speaker 3: I got enough hope for the both of us. I don't worry about that. Wow. Man, Well listen, this is my partner q Ward and uh we do the show for you every week. We appreciate your support and we appreciate you listening for the next part of the show because we've got more to talk about. We're gonna be discussing why GOP voters are so loyal to Trump. It's uh eluded me, and I think I have a little bit more insight.
Speaker 1: It has not eluded me.
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna talk about I'm gonna learn from you today, and we're also going to talk about some more cool stuff. But first and foremost, let's discuss becoming a better ally Baba Baba. Today's Baba sponsored by Unknown Union, the fashion house situated at the intersection of meaning, innovation and culture. More information check out unknownunion dot com. All right. Shout out to the Smithsonian. We like those guys. They treat us good, and I will read. The Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, will host its second annual hip Hop block Party this August, featuring performances, interactive art, and focused exhibits celebrating fifty years of the genre. The block party will take place on Saturday, August twelfth, The museum announced recently. The event will be held at the intersection of Madison Drive north less than fourteenth Street northwest, outside of the museum. This is in Washington, d C. For those that don't know, and it is worth it to make your way there. I know Q and I are going to be there. You and I have been there.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to go back.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we have a lot of friends there and supporters there, and it's just an awesome time, in a life changing experience to have. We wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. Man, even me who grew up with all this beautiful history that is troubled and hard and gorgeous and inspirational and all of everything in the middle man, it grew me up even more than I thought I would experience in a museum like that. Please go all right, I'll keep reading. A full time lineup of artists and programming will be released in the coming months, according to the museum. The event will be free to attend, though tickets are required for entry, and will be available online in July. While the inaugural twenty twenty two celebration mark the one year anniversary of the Smithsonian's Anthology of Hip Hop and Rap, this summer's event will celebrate fifty years of the Revolution and Innovation. In conjunction with the event, the museum will install an outdoor panel exhibition including artifacts from the museum's collection. The party also coincides with the museum's high profile Afrofuturism exhibit. So again, the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington.
Speaker 1: D C.
Speaker 3: Be there, all right? Why are GOP voters sol loyal to Trump? I want to let you know that I sourced a lot of our talking points from a conversation from an article was published in The Hill and the author was Caroline Vakil. So credit where it's due, because these are some interesting things to think about. And of course I want to shout out Yahoo News as well for sending this over, I'll read a bit. Trump's lead in the presumptive field of GOP presidential candidates has widened in most polling, even as he finds himself embroiled in high profile legal battles and as the party grapples with a worse than expected midterm election. That by itself is it shouldn't be surprising, and yet it still is. Now. You bring up this point quite a bit on the show Cube. Once upon a time we had a video of a man who's running for president on a bus with a reporter or journal or something like that, and he says, you know, if you're famous, they let you do it. You can walk up to a woman if you're a celebrity and just grab them by the genitals. I mean, I'm sure you know the word if you live in the same country as I do, because it was everywhere, And you make this point quite frequently, Q that that historically would have been enough to not only invalidate someone's presidential run and disqualify them from being the presumptive nominee or a major political party, but it would have kind of had them blacklisted from politics altogether and from everything. Every Yeah, exactly exactly. And so when I say that this is it shouldn't be surprising, and yet it is. I mean that because this is, this behavior is still shocking. This man can be convicted, he can be determined to be guilty and liable and uh, what's the word where they indicted and charged? Criminally charged over and over and over again, and all his cronies over and over and over again. And somehow on the right there's this narrative that Joe Biden is at the head of this like criminal family, the Joe Biden crime family. From what I understand, Joe Biden's son has had a problem with addiction, and see he's lived kind of a wild lifestyle. Joe Biden not a perfect man, none of these people are. Indeed, I'm not either. But when you compare him to Donald Trump in terms of like integrity and quality of human being by any any measure, from any any standard that any human being has, any moral standard, pull it straight from the Bible, if you will, right, because many people do that there is no comparison. It is not even fair. It is so overtly, out loud, in front of your face, hypocritical, and as you mentioned, Q, people will see it right in front of their face and be like, Nah, that isn't it. It's like, no, we see it. We're looking at it. Nah. And it's like I know they're not delusional. I know they're not in denial.
Speaker 1: They used to. They used to say, Nah, that ain't it. They do not anymore.
Speaker 4: Okay, I see where you're going. They embrace it, they used to say, because I guess we can be straightforward here. Capitalism would have once required them to deny it to protect their bottom line. One of the scariest and lowest points in my life was that man, with all that we know about him, with all that we knew about him prior to that video, but with all that we knew about him prior with that video and all that we've learned since, still becoming the president. Because then every other person that was pretending to be decent realized.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't have to do that no more. Let me tell you how I really feel.
Speaker 1: I don't have to pretend to not be racist anymore. And not only can I still make money, I can become the president of the United.
Speaker 3: States, and we see these other people, I can be.
Speaker 1: A racist, fascist, sexist, bigot, and everyone can know it, and I can still become president. And then even after doing a horrible job at presidenting, even after making a mockery of the office, even after inciting a riot.
Speaker 3: Hold on, even after running up twenty five percent of our national debt that happened under Donald Trump's administration, I can.
Speaker 1: Still get the sixty million people to come out and vote for me.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: So why would I ever pretend to be anything other than what I am? Actually, let me dig in a little down, let me let me go a little bit harder, because not only will I not be punished, I'll be exalted, I'll be lifted up.
Speaker 3: I'll be deified.
Speaker 1: Like trump Ism is almost a religion now, you know, after one of our shows, I had to show Rama's a video of a woman telling her daughters that it was okay for a man to grope them because she just doubled down on her support of Donald Trump. So rather than say, you know what, maybe I was tripping, Nope, he is who he is and who he is who we believe in. So she turns to her daughters and coaches them into saying it's no big deal for a man to grope them and touch them unappropriate.
Speaker 3: It was it was really gross video to watch.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and this wasn't in private, This was on a low news on television. It might have been national news. Cameras pointed at them, made her daughters humiliate themselves an effort to stand in support of a man she's never met. It is really really scary and disturbing.
Speaker 3: So we need to figure out why, Well, these are human beings, and we need to have the conversation. I give what you're saying. I'm not trying to figure out why. Let me let me say that. I say I say this with some frequency on the show. We started this show, and we knew that we were going to have to love our way through some very challenging times, right, and.
Speaker 1: We though, and I don't I don't say that to say that to knock us off track, but I think at some point we figured that with love and with reason, we'd be met with to be able to get to a common place. I do not think now such a place exists anymore for.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 3: None of this stuff that I do, not here, not anywhere, works without the belief that it is possible. Now here's where I allow the space for this conversation and to learn what is going through the minds of these people. Here's the point, Okay, I realized that human beings are imperfect. I realize that human beings, black people, we are the first human being, and all people are susceptible, vulnerable to fear. We have a drive to protect our species, our posterity, our lineage, et cetera. And you know that list goes on, and we are motivated to take action or corrective action by what we perceive as fear. And if we can be tricked, other people can be tricked. One of the things that helped me frame this is that when doctor King was alive. We talk about this quite a bit. When Doctor King was alive, he had a twenty percent of approval rating from black people, meaning eighty percent of Black people did not approve of doctor King, not as policies, not as anything like that. We can be lost in the sauce too, Okay. So when I look on the right and I see, forgive me my brothers and sisters, When I look at police, when I look at that police officer that was messing with me last week, there has to be a part of me that says, this is my brother. He's lost and I'm older than he is, so it's more like this is my son. I'm from Africa to most ancient people, right, that's the spirit that moves this body. So I have to look and say, okay, the love that has caused me to be here, I have to draw from that well in order to interact appropriately with my brother or my son. That might be lost. Now he might have a gun, they might have a political power to my you know this and the third But as a philosophy, as a person who studied doctor King and Malcolm X, it realizes that there was indeed a place for both of those philosophies. Trust me, I be Malcolm X A lot of the time. I have to realize that without love, a what's inside of me doesn't really work. I was made out of love. My mother and my father loved each other. That's where that's why I exist. And then be I feel like you can have a meaningful conversation based out of love, and you can have a divisive, destructive conversation when you don't have that, and it could get devolved, not even with your intention, it could get devolved because they're on their weird stuff. In other words, it's like interacting with a little kid. If I meet a little kid where the little kid is a little kid, don't know no better, and then I do, so that it's not gonna work. I have to have a little bit more patience. And I don't mean no disrespect. Well, I kind of do mean disrespect, because a lot of these people need to grow up. But I don't mean it like they're beyond redemption. I mean that it's going to be along road. It might not happen in my lifetime. And the conversation that we're having right now.
Speaker 1: How many lifetimes?
Speaker 3: That's an excellent question and a valid question. And I don't know the answer, man, but I you and I both know that, like, don't let you feel fuel you ladies and gentlemen. Q has a heart big as his chest. She is a lover too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Ramses has said that out loud, and it's true, and that it's part of the reason that there's callous Now, how long is my heart supposed to be exposed and broken and stepped on and stabbed and shot and hang and burned? How many cheeks do I have to turn? How much time do we have? How many lifetimes?
Speaker 3: Mine?
Speaker 1: My father's his fathers, his fathers, his fathers, his father Like, at some point this road is long, sure, but if we're both walking that way, then we'll get there. If the other person has either stopped or started walking the opposite direction, then what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, because this double down has gotten to be ridiculous at this point, Like I said, there is no longer a denial of the racism. There's no longer aim to see this twer is no longer a pretending to be ignorant anymore. There is no longer a requirement for them to be righteous or just. They are singular in this idea of white supremacy. I don't We don't have to dance around us and unite it on it in a way that is terrifying. Sure, because the rest of us, they're leaning right meaning people, just meaning people, good intentioned people, are not united on anything. And the party that is united on racism and white.
Speaker 3: Supremacy is very united.
Speaker 1: They're very united, and they're all going to show up and vote. So they're not just Florida, not just Texas, not just Kansas, but everywhere can start to adopt and vote on laws that make it illegal for us to exist so let me say this. We don't get to have history in some of these states right now. This is not something that's mythological or that might happen, or that was introduced and perceived to be ridiculous. Because I have friends that argue with me when some of those bills were introduced. I said, this is scary, and they said to me out loud, there's no way that's going to happen. Why do you believe that? What evidence do you have that makes you think that there's no way it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump won, that happened.
Speaker 1: That happened. He's the person most likely to win again. And you can say the first time caught you off guard. You thought they was just playing. You thought there was no chance he will went okay, now that he has back in the front again and the people on the other side are not even pretending to be decent, keep wanting to meet in the middle, and they keep standing right justified. So again, so meeting in the middle means meeting on the right.
Speaker 3: On their side. I understand this.
Speaker 1: And only we want to meet in the middle.
Speaker 3: They have no interest.
Speaker 1: You guys, come over here or not. Everything that you're trying to do that's actually for the people we cool on that we're not letting it happen. No so, and the people you're trying to do it for are going to sour because you didn't deliver on any of those promises. They're going to stop voting our people. Are you not on any single front. It is not about policy, It is not even about doing what's in the best interest of your constituents. It is white supremacy, racism, the word that they're making illegal out loud in front of everyone. And we have to keep hope alive.
Speaker 3: Yes on what Yes, yes, absolutely so. Now I said something earlier in the show. I said that we are a liberal country. We are a liberal plant planet. Now I don't want to say that that means that everybody's a liberal is good and everybody who's conservative is bad. Is that's pain with two broader strokes. And it's not entirely accurate.
Speaker 1: Used to not be accurate, it's still not entirely conservative in this country. It's almost synonymous with that. And well here's very very negative. Just so let me so, let me add let me add to that, let me add to that. I happen to know that even this show where we're sharing these ideas and these thoughts right now with our listeners. This would not be on the radio in certain cities had it not been for white men who were admittedly conservative saying this program is necessary. These are conversations we need to have. So I recognize that for me to paint with that broad a stroke might be inappropriate.
Speaker 3: Are there huge problems that are affecting our people and our brothers and sisters who are also minorities in this country that stem from that wing of the government.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, how you're voting, who you support, means more than even the opportunity that you extend to me to talk about this stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I realize that, But it is also possible for a person to vote a certain way and shut the door in our face. And half of something is better than all of nothing.
Speaker 1: So as long as you pay for me to go to college, it's fine that you've abused me my whole life. See how ridiculous it sounds, No, So sure a person could double down on it, But I don't get to pretend like you didn't abuse me because you pay for college. If after you know better, if after you say yeah, you guys do need to talk about that. If that's still how you think and still how you vote and stell who you support, then I don't care.
Speaker 3: So let me say this again. There's there's a.
Speaker 1: Because you no longer have the plausable and not belie. That's my point. I know as people, they're no longer pretending to even here's here's.
Speaker 3: Here's what I'm saying you you're not wrong. I can't say that you're wrong. What I can say is that there's always a way that I have found to be hopeful in the outcomes that shape the world that I would like to see my sons and my grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up in. And to look at a person who abused me, who then paid for me to go to college, It's an awful reality to have to deal with. It's awful reality, especially if they're still abusing you. Sure, sure, sure, you're not wrong. But I realize that no matter what, this is a long road full of baby steps, and a long road means yes, several lifetimes for several people. I said in the beginning of this show, nobody deserves this, but here we are, and we have made progress. We have made progress and I believe that we will continue to make progress. The thing is, we are up against people like these loyalists who here I'll read this real quick. Through the presidential debates and primaries, polsters and even some anti Trump Republicans point to the former president's recent indictment and is no hold bar no holds bar approach to his GOP rivals as being among the reasons that some of the party are still leaning toward the former president. They like the fact that he's a bully. They like the fact that he gets in trouble and breaks.
Speaker 1: The rules everything about him.
Speaker 3: They like the fact that he uses nicknames. They call him a giga chad. This is a term that they use. It's like the ultimate buff white guy that doesn't take any mess and gets all the girls and the sort of thing. It's like an internet meme, really gross, cartoonish looking thing, like something off Abuts and b Head, But it exists. And a lot of people think that he's their greatest chance at fighting back against the great replacement theory. A lot of white people think that they're being replaced intentionally, and I think Donald Trump is their best chance to push back against the US that are controlling the media and the liberals that run the country deep state, we're trying to replace white voters and white people in this country, which is all unfounded. But if that's their reality, then Trump is their guy. So we have to move on, unfortunately, because there's a lot more to talk about there, obviously, but it's time for the Way Black History Fact and today's Way Black History Fact sponsored by Underground Beach Club from the streets to the beach, the finest in beachware. Visit Underground Beach Club dot com and I'll be pulling from a couple of sources today in wyhistory dot org and Central parkyc dot org so you can go and check out the full stories. We had to just kind of compile some stuff to share this with you today, but I'll read since eighteen fifty nine, millions of people have enjoyed the natural beauty of Central Park. What do you know about the origins of Central Park? Did you know that before the park existed, the land it lies on was home to about sixteen hundred residents. One neighborhood that once lay within the boundaries of the park was called Seneca Village, although the residents may not have called it that So that's what we're talking about today for our way black history fact Seneca Village. All right. No photographs of Seneca Village survive, and no personal papers or living descendants of its residents have yet been found. So how do we know anything about it? What we do know, and why should we care? An important story about this place emerges from newspaper articles, maps, census data, and other records of the day. Seneca Village deserves our attention as one of the first communities of free African American property owners and immigrants in pre Civil War New York. That's great, doesn't it. Well the story, the story gets a lot darker. So turn that brown upside now, all right, here we go. Here's what we know. Seneca Village existed between eighteen twenty five and eighteen fifty seven. The boundaries of Seneca Village were roughly eighty second Street to eighty ninth Street, between Seventh Street and eighth Avenues for those that live in New York or have been to New York, basically where Central Park is or Central Parks a lot bigger than this, but it was right in the middle of Central Park. Initially, John and Elizabeth Whitehead, a white couple bought the land that made up Seneca Village. They soon subdivided and sold it to Andrew Young Epiphany Davis, both African Americans, and the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church out to the Amy Church. In the eighteen forties, Irish and German immigrants began moving in. All these groups may have enjoyed being far away from the dirty, crowded slums downtown Manhattan, where most Irish, German, and African people lived. The eighteen fifty five census reported two hundred and sixty four residents of Seneca Village. For African Americans, Seneca Village offered the opportunity to live in an autonomous community far from the densely populated downtown. Despite New York State's abolition of slavery in eighteen twenty seven, demest sorry discrimination was still prevalent throughout New York City and severely limited the lives of African Americans. Seneca Village's remote location likely provided a refuge from this climate. It also would have provided an escape from the unhealthy and crowded conditions of the city and access to more space space both inside and outside of the home compared to other African Americans living in New York, residents of Seneca Village seemed to have been more stable and prosperous. By eighteen fifty five, approximately half of them owned their homes. With property ownership came other rights not commonly held by African Americans in the city, namely the right to vote. In eighteen twenty one, New York State required African American men to own at least two hundred and fifty dollars in property and hold residency for at least three years to be able to vote. Of the one hundred Black New Yorkers eligible to vote in eighteen forty five, ten lived in Seneca Village. The fact that many residents were property owners contradict some common mis perceptions during the mid nineteenth century that the people living on the land slated for the park were poor squad living in shanties. In other words, in order to take the land from them to build the park, they had to spread falsehoods about the black people living there, saying that they lived in squalor, when actually this was a prosperous neighborhood. We'll get there. While some residents lived in shanties and in crowded conditions. Most lived into two story homes. Census records show that residents were employed, with African Americans typically employed as laborers and in service jobs, the main options for them at the time. Records also show that most children who lived in Seneca Village attended school. According to data, this community was comprised of mostly working class people and some rising middle class folks. However, prejudice against African Americans and the Irish sometimes caused newspapers to report otherwise. One newspaper article compared African Americans and Seneca Village and Irish residents of a lower part of the park. It states that Seneca Village is a neat little settlement that presents a pleasing contrast to their habits and the appearance of their dwellings to the Celtic occupants in the lower part of the park. If some of the hogs, goats and other inmates of the shanties in this vicinity do not die of the yellow fever this summer, it will only be because death himself hesitates to enter such dirty hovels. And that was something printed in the New York Daily Times on July ninth, eighteen fifty six. All right, other articles referred to the residents of Seneca Village as squatters, as though they were living illegally on public lands while they still own them. In eighteen fifty three, the city government approved a plan to use something called imminent domain to take over all land in what is now Central Park during the eighth sorry. During the early eighteen fifties, the city began planning a large municipal park to counter unhealthful urban conditions and provide space for recreation. In eighteen fifty three, the New York State legislature enacted a law that set aside seven hundred and seventy five acres of land in Manhattan from fifty nine to one hundred and six Street between Fifth and eighth Avenues to create the country's first major landscaped public park. Imminent domain is the state's power to take over private lands for public use. The government offered to pay owners what it claimed was their fair value for their land. They offered nothing to families who rented property in Seneca Village. Many of the land owners believed the government was not valuing the land highly enough, which is likely true given the history of this country's treatment of black people, and at that time Irish people too, all right, African American landowners had more than just their property to lose with the destruction of Seneca Village. Again, at the time, African Americans could vote if they owned at least two hundred and fifty dollars worth of property. Losing their homes meant losing the right to vote, a right that would not be protected by the US Constitution until the passage of the Fifteenth Amendment in eighteen seventy. That was still not practiced for the next century. So again, you know, we talk about a lot on this show, A lot of a lot of what we would consider to be problematic in the black community stems from a lack of wealth, lack of resources. And the reason for that lack of wealth and the lack of resources is immense, from everything to redlining black codes, the New Deal not being available to black people all the way to nowadays our houses being undervalued, us getting higher interest rate loans or the same sort of credit history and so forth. And that's a whole segment by itself, that's a whole show by itself, be honest, and we've done that show. So if you want to find out more, please go back and check it out. But here's another example of the theft of black wealth. And you can show out a piece that I made for the Black Information Information that we're called should the free Market dictate social Outcomes, where I describe how black people don't participate in the free market to the degree that white people do because white people have more money. So that's it for us here on Civic Cipher. So once again, i'm your host, Rams's job. He is Ramsey's job.
Speaker 1: I am once again really really discouraged, tough show. And yeah, man, it's it's it's scary because we're parents now and once upon a time, a brighter, better future for our children seem realistic, and today it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we'll find our light again real soon and hopefully you can help us out with that. Keep on rocking with us in the free world. Follow us on all social media. I'm at Ramsey's job. I am q woard And of course you can hit us at Civic Cipher on all platforms. Send us some kind words, make a donation on the website, follow share.
Speaker 1: Right all of that hate comment like, especially on YouTube, a little less hate this week.
Speaker 3: So uh, I think that's about it. So until next week you'll corect.
Speaker 2: Y'all like, yo, we hand the label. These presents are fabulous. It's our lady showing you where Vron traveled this world. Speak too, from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fight spot roll my mic back.
Speaker 3: You're like that jonalist with journalists too.
Speaker 2: We can strike back horb borders with orders from head borders behind in the beline side step and the borders with press passes. We bring it to you as it happens the streets love locked on from music and wrapping the street compland the slash week expando. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 3: What's happening? It's hot. You've got a questions to ask if Deduce is just a TV show?
Speaker 2: Get passing and this from a white wartime journalists headlines, wake up, preheats and resist like this like what like this?
Speaker 3: Like is us