Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock act Ah. The final hour on this Monday, Dan and The dan Ne's Dan Patrick Show howls morale. There's certain fan bases, like in Dallas where you're going. I thought we were ready for primetime. I thought we were ready for the forty nine ers this time around. And then you get this comment from Dak Prescott. He seemed a little surprised last night.
Speaker 2: Didn't see it coming, as you said, put everything into this and got punched in the mouth.
Speaker 1: Called a couple of weeks ago humbling against Arizona, But this is maybe the most humbling game I've ever been a part of. Should you have seen this coming that you're surprised, like, Wow, didn't see that coming? You should have at least known what they had offensively and defensively, Hey, we knew this could happen instead of Man, I'm surprised Rock Purty played well. Everybody did for the most part. This is one of those it's not just you know, you go into the shallow end and all of a sudden it drops off. It was a big wave that he and hits you early. By the way, this Sunday night, get ready. The Giants take on the Buffalo Bills Sunday seven Eastern on NBC and Peacock. How many times will Danny Dimes get hit? How many fumbles will he have? How many interceptions will he have? Or will he even play?
Speaker 3: Yes, Tod against that angry Bills team that just lost in London to the Jaguars.
Speaker 4: You don't want to mess with Josh Allen and Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Now, thank you, Todd.
Speaker 3: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've lost a couple of defensive starters there, even tougher sledding for the Buffalo. Just when you think you figured out, okay, that's who the Bills are, they go over there and then you go just you know, we thought that we had figured out the Jags and then the Jags play like that. The NFL is full of that, you know, usually like first five games and then after ten games and then maybe towards the end of the season where you go, okay, still try to figure this team out, or they surprise me they're better or worse. Detroit might be better than we want to give them credit for, but because of their history, it feels like we're holding off. We're like, okay, I just did it last hour, where we go, well, they beat the Panthers Detroit, there's nothing flukey. They've won by fourteen, fourteen, and eighteen. The last three weeks. Defense has been really good. They are very good against the run, and Jared Goff has played well. Maybe dot dot Dot MVP candidate Baltimore blew a great chance of beating all three divisional foes on the road, and they would have done this in the first five weeks. The receivers dropped a few passes there, and just when we were ready to go, okay, new offensive coordinator and you know, we're seeing something different with Lamar Jackson. They didn't look good at all. But the Ravens, as Peter King said, must have vomited through the first fifty minutes to battle back against the Steelers seventeen to ten. They lose. They've lost six of the last seven in this series by four, five, one, three, two and seven. Stat of the day, stat of the day, that past stat of the day, stat of the.
Speaker 4: Day here comes that what stat.
Speaker 1: Of the day. Also, the Lions have lost a total of three games in the last eleven months, so they are for real. I think think we're waiting for them to have a big moment, big game. I mean, they're overtime loss away from being undefeated. But it feels like we're holding off on them. Are we holding off on any other team because we are with the Lions because they're the Lions. But they've been they've been moving quickly. They've been moving right at us. I mean, it's a high speed glacier here. It's gonna hit you and they're gonna beat you. I don't know if Tampa's any good. They're three and one. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, now, I don't count. I'm gonna go with the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: We gotta see and by the way, Detroit at Tampa coming up next week. I'm telling Marvin, what'd you say?
Speaker 4: I'm going with the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: You're not sure who they are.
Speaker 4: I think they're away and see team.
Speaker 5: Also only like the Lions, because they haven't been great in recent history. We got to see, like this offense is great now. But let's see when it gets a little deep into the regular season, into the playoffs, Let's see what they do well.
Speaker 1: They weren't good last week, but then they were good this week. You're just not quite sure. But you know this on the road, is it a trap game? You know the matchups that you have, you know, all of these things where you're just going this system, this scheme, this team, this offense, this defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is funny how all records aren't created equal. You know, like a four and one Lions, I don't really know what the four and one Chiefs is.
Speaker 1: Like, hell yeah, yeah, man, they're right on course.
Speaker 7: Right would you take the Bengals at two and three or Tampa at three and one?
Speaker 1: I take the Bengals, right, Yes, I would. The Patriots lost to the Saints. It was the worst shutout loss of Bill Belichick's career, the worst home loss of his career, and this coming off the worst loss of his coaching career, losing to the Cowboys thirty eight to three. Hadn't been a good couple of weeks here for coach Belichick. But uh, he was not too interested in talking to the media, as you even when they win, he's not too interested. But he was asked about his quarterbacking situation.
Speaker 5: No, Well went into the decision to sit down Mac dreing the the understands the game.
Speaker 4: Does he stay your quarterback going forward?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of problems that certainly wasn't wasn't on him. Here's Mac Jones on being benched by coach Belichick.
Speaker 3: Mac, with the results being what they are and you finished two straight weeks ending the game on the bench, do you start to feel like you're playing to keep your job.
Speaker 8: Like I said earlier, just trying to trying to do better as an offense. You know, he didn't score any points, so that's the important part, scoring points and executing your job. And I try to just execute my job.
Speaker 1: When when you don't score any points, you obviously can do better. Wow, yeah you have. You couldn't score less than you did against the Saints, right, hoping.
Speaker 4: To get better?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, like score man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it does feel like America is enjoying this. You hear people if you take yourself out of New England and the twenty years of the run that the Patriots had of relevancy of you know, basically giving the middle finger of the rest of the league.
Speaker 1: Well, America enjoying the Patriots getting blown out or the Cowboys getting blown out.
Speaker 7: I'll bet you it's the Patriots because we've seen the Cowboys struggle for on and off for thirty years. I almost want the Cowboys to win something, but.
Speaker 1: They're close though. Patriots aren't threatening at all.
Speaker 7: I bet if you did a poll, I think America really is enjoying the Patriots and Bill Belichick's suffering, not just being irrelevant, but.
Speaker 1: They haven't done anything the last couple of years. Now, these are embarrassing. These are historically bad losses for Bill.
Speaker 7: They never stunk before in our life, in our you know, twenty years, they haven't never stunk.
Speaker 1: But do you think you know the National fan who maybe he is not a Cowboy fan or a Patriot fan? Are they which one? Are they reveling in more Dallas, who's supposed to be on par in the NFC is one of the top three or four teams, or New England and they're not any good. Yes, Tom, I think.
Speaker 3: They're enjoying the Patriots just because of the recent domination in all the Super Bowls. The Cowboys haven't really done anything like thirty years, so recency biased. That's the team that was just beating everybody up. I also wonder if Tom Brady is enjoying what's going on with the Patriots or is not that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: It certainly elevates his status as if that could be, you know, possible, because now it's oh, it's definitely it was Brady. You know, Bill had the system, but you know Brady had the culture. Like people wanted to play for Tom Brady. They have to overpay to get them to go and play in New England. Now, that to me is a bigger issue. Can you even fix this? Free agents? I okay, what are you gonna pay me? Yeah, it's not enough because there's no joy there. Even when they won, there was no joy, Like the joy was like those fifteen minutes after you won the Super Bowl, be like as a great coach. And then you know, probably fifteen minutes later, you know, he's diagramming things or looking at what the schedule could be, or cutting somebody you know who knows how much joy he has in all of this. Let me get some phone calls in here. Todd always says, don't take any phone calls as people just say mean things about they do. It'll be uh packers at the Raiders. Raiders a slight favorite. Bill Cower will join us coming up here in a little bit. Let me go to Troy in Kansas. Hey, Troy, Hey, how are you doing dad?
Speaker 9: Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, I was wondering.
Speaker 10: If Belichick got tired, would he be a candidate for crap.
Speaker 1: No, thank you, Troy. You know we're happy with our coach at Crappensburg State right now.
Speaker 4: Well, you got to bring him in for an interview if he's available talking.
Speaker 1: No, No, can't do that. That interest Yeah, Crappensburg State. We're headed towards selling two thousand t shirts of Crappensburg State. We have some bumper stickers coming out too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we got a couple of new shirts coming, some bumper stickers, hearing, maybe some coffee mugs. It's a full line. It's the full collegiate experience. What is uh when you walk into the school bookstore.
Speaker 1: Somebody did suggest to me do we have nil money for our athletes at Crappensburg State. Oh? Interesting, Yeah. Charman is obviously a big donor to Crappensburg State, and well it's a Charman field at Crappensburg Stadium. So Josh in Indianapolis, Hi, Josh, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: What a DP?
Speaker 12: Hi?
Speaker 1: Josh?
Speaker 11: First time, long time? Five nine soft? What's the wee GT?
Speaker 12: For me?
Speaker 11: Was my Longhorns defense and the defensive coordinator. If you want to be a national playoff team, you can't do that. Best of the weekend was this morning. Actually, I'm a teacher. On fall break, I told my wife I was going to call in and get my best and worst before she leaves for work. She says, tell Dan, I said, hi, and suck it back row. So shout out Tanna in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: And hello to your wife, so I could back row. Uh. Luke in North Carolina, Good morning, Luke, Hey Dan, how you doing?
Speaker 9: I got I got a just a worst of the weekend, But before that, I just wanted to say, went to a Crappensburg State baseball game last weekend and it was a pretty touching ceremony. They inducted Bartolo Cologne into the Bowl of Honor.
Speaker 1: Well done, well done, Luke. Luke got the assignment, Well done. What else do you have there, Luke?
Speaker 9: Yeah, my worstest of the weekend was this is not the first time Mario crystal Ball has done this.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 9: He did it in twenty eighteen with Oregon against Stanford. Granted then it wasn't mathematically over. They could have knelt and punted and there'd be like fifteen seconds left with a whole field, but they ran, fumbled and then lost in overtime. So that's the worst second time, worst happens to Mario Crystaball.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Luke, Nick and Cincinnati, Hi Neck, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey Bud?
Speaker 13: Heat five eleven and three quarters hard one thirty? I got a best at Invester. First off, Joey B looking like Joey B got us excited here in Cincinnati, and the Bester Foster Moreau saw him get in the end zone last year. Diagnosed with Hodson's and trema, yep, I'm sure we've all been affected by that horrible disease one way or the other. My mom fought it and beat it, so yeah, it was nice to see him get in the engine.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, thank you Nick, Tim and Saint Petersburg. Hey Tim, adp Hi, bun.
Speaker 12: Hey, gentlemen, fretzy, first time, long time five. So down at Crappensburg State, they're considering running the tush Push this weekend, but they came up with alternate play names for it. I'm gonna go rapid fire here, so please hold your applause or booze. So we've got the line to gain strain, the crapper slapper, the glute scoot, the hide ride, the button rut, the trench clench, the booty scooty, the posterior plunge, the bum scrum, and the colon roll in.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, nicely dark all right. The glut scoot glute scoot was a favorite of it, and that really stood out.
Speaker 4: What's the poll.
Speaker 1: Question we're going to go with in the final unco glut scoot wonderful.
Speaker 6: We're gonna go with two dan oh in the final hours, okay, We're going with who do you like seeing Loise Moore?
Speaker 1: The Patriots are the Cowboys?
Speaker 6: Okay, And we're also going with how much are you enjoying the Patriots struggles A little, a.
Speaker 1: Lot, having the time of my life. I guess I'm probably in the minority with that. I didn't expect anything out of the Patriots tough division this year. I mean with Aaron Rodgers, we thought and I thought they were gonna be if at best, you know, like an eight win seven wins at best, They're just they're boring, non threatening. Their two best defenders are injured.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Paul, the Patriots, Brady Belichick, all of them together. Remember when you're in high school or for most of us, you know, if you were like a kind of a normal guy in high school and there was a quarterback who got the cheerleader and he was a star and he's a prom king. Yeah, and then you see him twenty years later at the reunion. You're doing well and he's losing his hair and he's chubby, and you're in your head, you're like, ah, payback to This is payback time for the Patriots. Now Brady's not around to catch the heat. If they stunk with Brady, it would be a celebration in and out of our country.
Speaker 1: Mm, you mean the world celeb The world would celebrate team team Gazelle. I'm team Tom Giselle. Seeps seems to be getting closer and closer to that judo instructor I'm just saying yeah, and he's he's, he's been in the mix.
Speaker 4: There kicking it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm gonna give you a bloop on that one. All right, We'll talk to Bill kwer Hill join us. More phone calls coming up as well. We'll take a break. We're back after this. In the Dan Patrick Show, King Sawaiian Slider Sunday, I had a Slider Sunday. By the way, case you're wondering bacon cheeseburger sliders, Kingshawaiian dot Com had the bird burger patties, bacon, the caramelized onions top with American cheese. Now, I had the caramelized onions but just a little, and I had Swiss cheese. The og kings Hawaiian Sweet role and they have a roll for you King Sawaiian Slider Sundays. So they have the original roles, the slider buns, the salty pretzel slider buns, and just like Todd, there's soft and fluffy and irresistible kings Hawaiian roles perfect for any football get together and you want recipe inspiration. Kingsawaiian dot Com Football Sundays are all about sharing great food and fun with friends and family in football. King Sawaiian Slider Sunday is the only way to enjoy a Sunday. Go to the bakery or deli section of your local store, pick up those sweet, fluffy, irresistible Kings Hawaiian rolls and enjoy. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. More phone calls coming up each seven to seven to three DP show see would you update the poll results? Then we'll get to the Hall of Fame coach Bill Kauer.
Speaker 6: I sure will, Dan, Okay, right now, we've got a bunch of poll questions working actually as a matter of fact, But if we go with the new ones, how much are you enjoying the Patriots struggles A little, a ton having the time of my life right now?
Speaker 1: It's one hundred percent having the time of my life.
Speaker 6: That is a that's a tough result right there. And then who do you like seeing lose more? The Patriots or the Cowboys? This one's a little more balanced. It's fifty seven percent Cowboys, very negative.
Speaker 1: Two pole quests. You can catch coach Kawer the rest of the NFL Today crew Sunday's at Dune Eastern on CBS and Paramount Good to see again, coach. Let me let me start with this. Do you enjoy seeing the Patriots lose more or the Cowboys?
Speaker 2: I see the theme of a Monday morning. There are some great wins. Yes, let's not talk about let's go right into misery Monday.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, do you care?
Speaker 2: No? You know, in a weird way, Dan, I've kind of been there. I think when I look at the Cowboys, you know it was San Francisco is a very good team, and they couldn't get untracked early, got behind early, and you become one dimensional against that defense. It it's gonna be a long night. And I think that there's they can get things worked out. I look at New England. To be quite honest with you, I don't know where you go for answers, to be quite frank, I mean, you look at the offensive side of the ball. Name me a playmaker. The quarterback is struggling, offensive line is not creating any running holes. Defensively. You just lost your two best players in Gonzales and Judon. You know, it's it's a big, big challenge right now for Bill. You're coming off two very, very tough lives. Is you know, to be critical of your team right now you could lose them. There's a very fragile confidence I think in that building, probably a place where Bill has not been before. But you know, so it'll be interesting to see how that unfolds.
Speaker 1: Can you watch a game as a fan or do you have to watch it through the lens of being a former coach.
Speaker 2: I always looked at as a former coach, and I get mind blown today by some of these decisions in terms of analytics. I mean, I watched yesterday. John Harball is a good friend of mine, a good coach, in a game where you know points are going to be minimal in the very first quarter, has got a chance to go up thirteen nothing. Instead it goes forward on fourth and one and those three points. We're looking at him the rest of the day, and so I see it all the time. I mean, what's wrong with taking points? You work too hard to get down there. And I don't want to hear about analytics because they tell you about your odds. They don't tell you about what happens if you don't make it. We share those things and you're steering you in the face the rest of the game. So I watch it really as a coach, to be honest with you, and I look at at it and just seeing the end game tweaks that every coach has to make and willing to make, And how do you slow down to Miami offense that you know that looks like they're playing faster than everybody else. We watched a little of that blueprint with Buffalo, and then you feel for Buffalo. They come up one of the biggest wins of the year and they go over there and lose maybe their best defensive player in Milano. They just lost for Davius White. Sean McDermott will figure this out, but that's a big blow for Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 1: How often would you send a play in and the quarterback would change it even though you didn't want, They would defy you. How often do you think that happened in your career?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't I didn't call the plays, but I know when I would go to the coordinator to call the plays. I think sometimes I realized the back thing the what I got, and I realized it was actually it was a maneuver. They said they couldn't hear. It's like they would say their helmet was out. They're tapping their ears and I'm going like, oh, okay, is that true or not? Are you hearing me or is it selective hearing? So you know, sometimes you know. But a lot of the plays we had, you give options to the quarterback, and I think the biggest thing you do to me, Dan, is the quarterback earns the right to have more input, right, So I think they earn your trust and then they get learn to trust you. So I think when you go into game plans, you're going against certain things. You can flip a running play from one side to another based on what you're seeing the front being. You can also see a front that takes you out of a running play to a passing play. So those things are always going to be there as part of what you give a quarterback in terms of game plan. But then sometimes a quarterback thinks he knows more and then he just hits his helmet.
Speaker 1: I got this Roethlisberger would do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I found out after the fact because I kept thinking, man, we're having proms for our communication. They're going coach, there's no problem. I can hear everything in his helmet. I go, oh, okay, let me look at the second alternative here, mag was selective hearing.
Speaker 1: I wonder if with a quarterback of Ben's size, would you be using that the brotherly shove that Philadelphia is using.
Speaker 2: Well, he'd have to feel he have to feel comfortable doing it, right. I mean, I think it's so funny when you watch and you think about a quarterback sneak. We think about Tom Brady, who did it so well for so many years. He takes it and he goes down low and it kind of hits his head down, and you watch Jalen. He's got this, you know, I number one. I don't know if any singers can get as low as Kelsey. Kelsey's already a small guy and he gets low, really low, and it's almost like Jalen's just riding the wave. It's like he's right on top of it. You don't see him go down. He's riding the wave of the back. So it's interesting to see the techniques involved. I don't like to play personally, I think it's a rugby play, it's a scrum. I think it's as bad for football as nothing strategical about it. But until we find ways of losing, of stopping it, until we find ways of people not getting hurt into the Giants triede of the Year a week ago and two guys got hurt. So I think until it becomes a safety issue, you know where they're gonna keep doing it. I don't like to play personally, I just don't, you know, but you have to stop it. It's been very, very effective.
Speaker 1: Talking to Bill Kellner the Hall of Famer NFL today on CBS, analyst Dion said, why don't we have sort of a penthouse with the Hall of Fame? And I propose, if you have first ballot Hall of Fame, then can you do a special floor for the first ballot Hall of famers? You know, Joe Montana, whoever it might be. Dion, do you have any problem with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, I guess I look at it from the standpoint of, you know, I think when you go to that launch and I've gone now for you know, for two straight years, you're sitting there and I met this past year, I met Dick Buckets for the first time on lifetime, idle. I think we all recognize who there was some quality players and coaches in there that you know, what they did was probably more than what you did. But yet I think what you did was warrant of contribution of being recognized as one of the best at what you did. You know, to sit there and who's to measure what that criteria is to put you into that other element of it? So I understand it. You know, I didn't go win as a first ballot. Maybe there's circumstances that the don't put you in there for the first balluot. I wasn't, you know, and there was a lot of media involved with it. I wasn't one of the most cordial guys at press conferences at times, you know. And so at the same time, I feel very proud of the record that I had, and I will match it with you know a lot of the people that are in there. So you know, and listen, we all recognize Dion Sanders first bout. I think we all know the first bout and you all know the players that are in there. But I think once you get in there, to sit there and say there's a first class and second class I think will be a disservice to the honor.
Speaker 1: But in there a seating chart though somewhere coach that might get you know, the Hall of Fame events do they have, you know, Montana's upfront and LT's up front.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I do it more by whoever can walk better. A lot of times you go to Dan, there's a lot if you can stand, you're in the back. If you just didn't go in the front. So it's more by by your health the status than anything else.
Speaker 1: How does every team pass on brock perty seven times? But he's going to be and should be an MVP candidate this.
Speaker 2: Year, no question about it. And I wrote about it a year ago and we came in and so I ran it because it had me thinking about Tom Brady. Right sixth round, this guy's seventh round. And you walk into a team and you sit behind the starting quarterback. It takes a starting quarterback to get hurt to get your chance, just like it took you know, you sit there and Brady Brady comes in and Bletso gets hurt, and then all of a sudden, you know, here comes Jimmy g and all of sudden, Perry comes in, and you know, he walked into a great situation and I think he just fits the system perfectly. He walked into a very good defense. He walked to a Kyle Shanahan offense as very quarterback friendly. He's a very, very very good at processing information. That's the thing I would take away from Kyle's offense. Yes, it's run oriented, it's a lot of motion and probably a lot of dialogue goes on a lot of moving pieces, So you have to be able to process a lot of information very quickly. And I think that's the one thing you hear people constantly talk about with Rock Party, his ability to go from one read to two to three. He sees the field, he can process things, and if there was ever a better offense to walk into, it's probably the Kyle Shanahan offense. So yeah, it's always interesting when you see the free agents, the seventh round picks, the sixth round picks. You know, there's certain elements that you can't measure going to the next level, and Rock Party is certainly surpassed. You know a lot of the people what they thought they saw and didn't thought his limitations were they no longer are.
Speaker 1: Is there a game that you just can't get out of your head leakship at night.
Speaker 2: Probably the two thousand and one AFC Championship game against the New England Patriots. You know, we knocked Brady out, We brought blood so in. We gave up a punt return for a touchdown because all of a sudden, we kicked the ball from the left hash from our own five yard line. We had a guy run out of bounds, Troy Edwards. They replayed it, pushed us back. They put the ball in the right hash. Punter Josh Miller kind of didn't know what we're supposed to do. Am I supposed to kick it back into the boundary, So I go to the other boundary. I didn't know what he was talking about. I didn't even realize they'd moved the hash. He kicked it right down in the middle of Dion Branch just took it right back for a touchdown. We go to kick a field goal, he gets blocked for a touchdown. Out. We outs had more almost one hundred yards more than they did, but yet we lost the game. And that was a very very good team in two thousand and one. So I look at those championship games, and I think I think about those, you know, some of the nine ninety six Super Bowl against the Dallas Cowboys. So I think about more of the games that ended my season, not the games during the season, than anything else. And I'll probably remember the losses more and I remember the wins.
Speaker 1: Could you out smart Brady?
Speaker 2: Can you ask smart Brady?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: You gonna be patient against Brady, and you got to just try to just if you can, try to create some degree of hesitation into what he thinks you're doing, almost like in a weird way, like Peyton was. Peyton and Tom were so cerebral that you had to play a little bit of a chess game with them, and then you got to take advantage of the opportunities if he ever gave them to you. But if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, if you showed them what you were doing from a defensive standpoint, they knew exactly where to go with the ball, and they were patient ough to take what you gave them. So it's almost like who could be more patient? Somehow come up with a third down stop, don't give them the big play. But you bear to be disguised in what you're doing, because if you give them pre snap information, they're going to beat you and just tear you up.
Speaker 1: Is would you rather face that quarterback or the guy who athletically is going to extend plays drive you, whoever that might be. But that guy that you just you won't have the athleticism to counter, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I Mahomes is that guy now, right. Mahomes is the ultimate guy who can step up and talk about manipulating a pocket and having pocket presence. He loves staying in the pocket. And you're gonna get off off schedule plays. You're gonna get his improvisation that he's gonna have at times. Those are probably a little bit tougher to go against, to be quite honest with you, because you know those you can't control. At least the other things are controllable. I can control what I show, what I play. I can control my disguised part of it. I can be patient and make the play and make the tackle. But these plays that get extended for six seven seconds. Remember going against Michael Vick, that's the closest guy I can kind of relate to. Michael Vick is all of a sudden, you can't rush as like you used to always rush because you have to make sure that you are very disciplined in your rush lanes. And to tell our rusher to be disciplined is kind of going against It's almost like an adverse, like, oh, be discipline, but you wanted to rush your quarterback Like that's that's a culture. You know. It's a contra dictionary statement, I know, but it kind of you need to be that way. So you know, you want Patrick Mahomes to stay in the pocket and beat you, and he can do that, but I'm not sure I'm staying in the pocket and beat me. Then get out of the pocket and then throw the ball down the field. And then you have the offenses right now that today is the biggest challenge you would have is at Miami offense. The motions, the San Francisco motions, Mike McDaniel, Kyle Shanahan, he came from the same system. They like to give you a lot of window dressing, a lot of movement to get you to kind of take your eyes off where they need to be. And they play very fast, and so there's a lot of speed down in Miami. That's a big challenge. And again, patience has to be a part of that solution and try and at least slow them down.
Speaker 1: I watched that Steeler Ravens game. Now, granted it's the best rivalry in football, but that's bad football. And I keep waiting for the Steeler, that Steeler offense. Uh, where is it?
Speaker 2: Coach, It's a work in progress, Dan.
Speaker 1: Boy, it's a worker. You're being politically correct there.
Speaker 2: No, but but you know what, and you just keep fueling the fire by everyone's sitting there writing for Mike Tomlin to fire Matt Canada to sit there and say you can't do this and can't do that. Yes, it's going to have to be more productive. Yes, they're going to have to start taking more shots down the field. And they're going to have to if they get Deontay Johnson back, maybe you get a guy who had a little bit of run after catch. But they're playing defense for defense right now. Maybe the best bookend rushers you got right now in high Smith and TJ. Watt. They're not giving up the big plays. And right now Canny Pickett is not turning it over. He's got like two interceptions in the last four games. You know, the block punt yesterday. I know they kind of gave it back, and to be quite frank, Baltimore did not play very well. We had six drops, they missed the wide open receiver who falls on the turf at fines Field. So you know it's a Heinz field. The ghosts of Heinz Field came out yesterday for the Baltimore Ravens. But you know, I look at I still like the Baltimore Ravens, and I mean I think that I think Todd Monkin, I think Lamar in that system when it's more spread out in the weapons that he has, is at some point going to get more and more comfortable. You see signs of it. Yesterday was not one of them. And I think from Pittsburgh standpoint, it is a long year. It's a work in progress because clearly the offense is going to have to be more productive than it has been right now. And I think getting back to their running game is a little bit of that answer. And I would not just be with Naja Harris and Naja Harris Jalen Warren combination. Jalen Warren came in and really gave that team a spark when he came in. He made a couple of big plays on third down, a couple of big runs. He gives them a little bit that splash, a little bit of that this that you want to see on that offense because you feel like they're just plodding down. They're plodding on down there. You know, there's that twelve thirteen play drive. You cannot live on that. So they needed Deontay Johnsons, they needed Jed and Warren. You're gonna get to get the George Pickens maybe one on one, he'll make the big catch down there, but he's not gonna get the great separation. So I think that's still there. And the biggest thing they're doing is they're winning while keeping you know, winning games ugly and that, and that's always gonna be a case with the Baltimore Pittsburgh game.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you were in a fight A.
Speaker 2: Fight, well verbally or or I mean I'm fighting with with with Boomer and film.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that I mean like a physical.
Speaker 2: A physical fight. It's well, I would say college, No I actually had the fight. Wasn't the pros to I was just there was a practice one time. It's actually the same day the first time my late wife I hold at lunch and I found out she lost our baby, and and I never forget. We went to nine on seven. I was with the pads on and I just was so mad, and so I just start crying and I just start hitting everything, and they're saying, what the relaxed? Relax? I don't you know? I just I got in a fight.
Speaker 1: But did you eventually tell your teammates and coach what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I'm usually pretty good at control my emotions, to be quite honest with.
Speaker 1: You, except for the time when you ran off after the first half. Weren't you didn't you had a word for an official?
Speaker 2: Well, I like those were controlled emotions.
Speaker 4: I could have done it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. You should be commend.
Speaker 2: Well, I I was not controlled.
Speaker 1: I like that. Okay, we just didn't. We just didn't know that. Yes, hey, great catch up with you as always. Thanks for joining us, coach.
Speaker 2: Man, always a pleasure. You're the best. I still got your jacket. You know you're getting one of those jackets that came came to the Super Bowl to one year. Yeah, and I still have I pulled. I go, here's my black Dan Patrick jacket.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I'm giving you prompt as I walk around you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, coaching, thank you, thank you. That's coach coach Kauer, who knew that he was showing, you know, restraint. There he looks like a guy you wouldn't want to mask with. Yes, time, that's restraints.
Speaker 3: Stuffing like pictures into the pants of a referee.
Speaker 1: As you read, it's good stuff, Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Let me take a break. Last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow, create the headline for tonight's game for tomorrow. Back after this. As always a special shout out our friends at Panine America. They invite you to check out their NFT platform at NFT dot panine America dot net. They're available on the public auctions on the site, we're available in packs. You'll find the honest rookies, the old time greats, biggest superstars, and get the newest released packs from all the biggest Panini brands. Now is NFTs Right now, Panini has been turning up the heat as well with name, image and likeness deals. So Texas quarterback Quinn Yours, Freshman Sensation, USC wide receiver Zachariah Brant and Arch Manning. Be on the lookout for college football's top players in Panine's nil products that are coming soon. Also Trading Cards NFT Trading Cards Panini giving you the opportunity to pull autograph cards, memorabilia cards rare insure it's even one of one NFTs from every pack. You'll find that on the Panini NFT platform, whether you collect physical or digital packs Panini. As you covered, go to Paniniamerica dot net the official trading cards at NFTs. The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 14: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 2: I think you like it.
Speaker 14: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Bears Hall of Fame linebacker Brian Urlocker will join us in the man Cave tomorrow. Last call for phone calls. What we learned, what's in store tomorrow? What's the headline going to be tomorrow? Todd, I'll start with you create tomorrow's headline.
Speaker 3: Today, I'm gonna go with DeVante's Inferno receiver goes off on former team.
Speaker 1: All right, I like that, Uh, Seaton, you have a headline off tonight's Packers Raiders gave.
Speaker 6: Me something about like seven card stud hearts wild as Love goes off?
Speaker 1: Oh oh yes, good, all right.
Speaker 4: I got the Raiders winning. The headline is going to be it's nothing but a g thing.
Speaker 7: Okay, Paul I had I had a terrible Jordan love play on words, So I'm gonna doubt that one.
Speaker 1: Uh let's see, all.
Speaker 7: Right, Bat to the future Packers, No, because he's he's out for I was adjusting out for the season.
Speaker 1: I was gonna do what's love got to do with it? Everything? Yeah? The secondhand emotion shout out to the late team, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: No dice for the Packers.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, we did the dice Clay one time. That's it. That's it, that's it. You got to do your impersonation now, thank you, thank.
Speaker 4: You, gets boring, wrong line the bank.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Todd, what a great moment for me. Yeah, well that I know, I know, I know. But Friday was rough Friday after the show because Todd was doing his dice Clay in person.
Speaker 4: I was glowing with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No one's had a better year than Fritzy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's not leading Canada for a most Valuable dant. Yeah, he's had a good year.
Speaker 4: Darius Rutger and Andrew dice Clay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know. Right now you're the clubhouse leader most valuable Dan in oh thank you. Yeah. Still plenty of time though for you to screw it.
Speaker 4: Up like the Lions or the Dolphins. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I don't know if everybody's bought in and they think you're real, like for real, you're you're sort of a Lions type. Feel we're rooting for you, but I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Fritzy has been the most valuable and least valuable Dan at the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: So odd that you can do.
Speaker 1: That, Uh, Johnny, Grand Canyon where they have phone service.
Speaker 10: Hi, Johnny, Hey Dan, first time, long time, five to eleven, two ten, So best and worst of the weekend. I'm gonna start off with worst Clayton Kershaw getting rocked for a third of an inning. Sad to see, uh, sad to see that. Hopefully he bounces back. The best of the weekend, the Steelers taking that w from the Ravens. And I also wanted to send a invitation to everybody out there for my new bar at Crappensburg State the Cathedral. We are a fiber of Crappensburg State Athletics where everybody can pull up their throne every weekend and catch a game.
Speaker 1: Well, you go in there and you sit on a stool there you see what I did to yeahol, okay, to me over under for the Lions this year, anybody, Marvin, I'll start with you.
Speaker 4: Over under eleven and a half?
Speaker 1: Seeing these things? Are you seeing these things.
Speaker 4: That I am not? You swear play the day stuff? I know?
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, MVD rolling, Okay, let me try this. The Cowboys over under Marvin and don't try to give me the wrong answer just to throw me off here.
Speaker 4: No, I'm gonna try to get it right. Okay, I got him at nine and a half. Done, I'm ten and a half.
Speaker 1: Nice try, Marvin. It's close enough, but not Chiefs over under Marvin.
Speaker 4: Twelve and a half Blue. Come on, don't play with me. Come on now, come on, no life, Come.
Speaker 1: On, Brandon and Tallahassee. Hi, Brandon, great, great, great great.
Speaker 15: I have one very quick best of the weekend, and then the trivia question for you guys I would like to answer. Okay, okay, so the best of the weekend. I got the pillos to watch Crappinsburg State squeeze out a double overtime victory over rival Western Crappinsburg State.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, okay.
Speaker 15: And then the trivia question would be no quarterback in NFL history has lost to all thirty two NFL teams. One quarterback has a chance to Lucia's thirty first this year, which would be the most all time. Who is that quarterback?
Speaker 1: Marvin?
Speaker 4: Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't in the league. I'm lost on this one.
Speaker 1: Anybody want to tod Do you want to.
Speaker 4: Go Matthew Stafford. It's been around a long time.
Speaker 1: That would have been my guest, the Matthew Stafford. Brandon, Brandon, what.
Speaker 15: Derek Carr is the answer?
Speaker 1: Oh Derek Carr? All right, well, thank you Brandon. This day in sports history, Pauling.
Speaker 7: There a car that's a curveball. Cincinnati Reads in nineteen nineteen won the World Series and the eight Red Sox players were charge of throwing the game. They actually were found not guilty in a court of law, but the their band for life. And let's see, oh this was a really gutsy move. The La Kings retired Wayne Gretzy's number ninety nine. Not a lot of decision making that one.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 7: You imagined that meeting should should we?
Speaker 1: Should we wait a little bit? Well, it's like the Ring of Honor with Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys, like you know, at some point Jerry waiting for the time. You're right, yeah, hottest rookie's, biggest superstars, the old time greats. The only place to collect them all Panini Trading Cards started continue collection now Panini America dot net. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support we're gonna do it again tomorrow.