Speaker 1: He wanted to talk at all. Holy caw, the Yankees won a game in extra innings? How about that? How you doing? TK doing good man?
Speaker 2: That was a good, good win, a much needed win, as the Red Sox also won their games. So they're battling off Boston. But good to get a win there. I believe I looked it up earlier. Their last walk off was in back in May when Aaron Judge hit a home run against the Tampa Bay Rays to walk it off. So nice to get that.
Speaker 1: I think that might have been his last home run before he went down with the injury too. That was while he was hurting, and it was like a pop up to right field that just carried out of the ballpark. Well, not a big crowd tonight. A lot of people, I think, you know, turned off the game when it was two to nothing going into the ninth inning. The offense for the Yankees tonight was not good, but it came through at the right moment. The Braves hit two solo home runs Riley and Olson, but the Yankees battled back in the ninth inning. You had a big double by Austin Wells. You had a what was it a double by Ben Rice? That hit the wall. I don't know if maybe you got a single out of that, but he smoked it anyway. That tied up the game, and then the Yankees won it on a sackfly. We got to talk about the defense tonight because there were some great defensive plays you had. Ryan McMahon made a fantastic play George Lombard Junior. The arm strength on that kid is insane. And then you had a fantastic over the shoulder catch by Luis Garcia and it all added up to a Yankees win and TK this was a big win because Boston won again. How much are you sweating Boston right now?
Speaker 2: I'm big time. I'm worried. They are playing unbelievable baseball. I would say in the last forty games they are. I mean not only record wise, obviously, but they are the best team in baseball. I'll give you guys a little nugget here, but I have a friend of mine who has a friend, so it's a bit of a friend of a friend situation who's kind of close to the Red Sox front office. And the word that I heard was that one of the things they did was simplify it for the players, meaning they took one a lot of the analytic guys out of the dugout the guys with the iPads. It's just too much information. It was just too much information for them. They kind of simplify things and they were just kind of like, get out there and play baseball. See the ball, hit the ball. It's not that analytics are bad and information is good, but sometimes you got to streamline things a little bit. And ever since then they've been playing great. They got a great pitching performance tonight as well. I think that, yes, the Yankees one tonight, but going as what the offense has been the last couple of weeks, the last month or so, even you know, and the Yankees being heard, I expect the Red Sox to eventually take the Yankees over if they keep playing this way.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well let's get to the good, the bad, and the ugly. And as you can see, uh, there was not a lot of great stuff for the Yankees tonight. Ryan McMahon had a couple of hits. George Lombard Junior had another hit and a walk. Trent Grisham's slump continues. He has just been awful, t K. And we were gonna talk about and we can talk about it as soon as we're done with this, whether or not. Trent Grisham and Spencer Jones like, who's gonna be the center fielder when Bellinger comes back here pretty soon, because neither one of them is hitting very much right now. Spencer Jones hit a couple of balls to the warning track tonight that goes gravity. Both of them were caught. Jazz Chissel went over three, he's down to two fifteen and uh for the Braves, Akunya Junior had a couple of hits. Drake Baldwin had a couple of hits. Olsen with the home run, du Bond with the home run or with the base hit. Sorry, Austin Riley with a home run. Uh Hasan Kim hitting sixty seven oh for two but uh yeah, that is your good, the bad, and the ugly. We got to talk a little bit about Max Freed. We're gonna break him down in just a minute, but DK let's get to the nitty gritty. So Max Free does feel like he is back, and that is huge. The offense feels like it has not changed very much though, even with the additions of Lombard Junior and Garcia and Ramos. Ramos had a double and I think a walk tonight, and Garcia had a couple of walks. But still this team just is not putting together any kind of rallies. It's mystifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Lombard's actually the guy that kind of got it going, you know, in the in the ninth inning there, and you know Grisham. It's funny Grisham. I kind of went back and forth where I was very vocal that I did not believe in giving him the qualifying offer, kind of expecting him to turn back into a pumpkin, so to speak. And I think if you look at Trek Grisham's numbers this season, he's very much the player that he's been his entire career, and last season is clear the outlier. Even what worries me about Grisham Derek is like, defensively, it looks smooth, like I almost think if he looks like Robinson Cano in the outfield, like just in terms of how he fields the ball and how he moves out there, but metrically the range isn't really there. You know, He's definitely not that gold Glove caliber outfielder that he was, you know, not at all. It's not even close. So I think it's like, even with Bellinger being injured currently, I'd rather have Jones in center and have Grisham in left and Ramos and right and do it that way just because I'd rather have Jones and center. And I realize that Jones is not really hitting all that much. I mean, obviously neither is Grisham, but I'm more so of the mindset that Grisham is not going to be on this team next year. Spencer Jones has a high likelihood of being on this team next year, and I'd rather him get the run and center, and defensively he's the better player. Offensively, they're kind of the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I think the trade off is that you're gonna get more strikeout with Spencer Jones, but he's also going to probably hit for more power than Grisham, and he's a better defender. He's a plus defender, I think, whereas Grisham really isn't that great anymore out there. The one thing I definitely agree with the audience on is that Grisham cannot be in the leadoff spot anymore. I Mean, this guy is hitting like one hundred for like a month. At some point, you got to make a change there. I think the Yankees not getting a rise is going to come back to bite them because Jazz is washed. Jazz is awful. He's having a terrible year. Jazz doesn't even look like he's trying anymore. He doesn't even look like he cares anymore. So I don't want to pick on Jazz too much, right but this is the impression I get from him. He was hoping he would have a huge season so that he could get a massive payday. Imagine thinking that you had a pretty good chance to win three hundred million dollars in the lottery, and then a couple months later, it's pretty clear you're not going to win, and in fact, in fact, your career might be winding down quicker than you thought. Nobody's gonna give this guy a big, long term contract. I'm not sure that he can hit the type of pitching that exists in Major League Baseball anymore. He's unfocused. He's I mean, an okay defender. He makes some runs with his legs sometime sometimes, but I just feel like he has packed it in mentally, and I think the Yankees are gonna regret not getting a rise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I was really all really about getting a rise. I think Philly is lucky to have grabbed him. He's exactly you know. It's just that he doesn't fit what the Yankees like, which is home runs. It's a guy who doesn't strike out on a lot, you know, he's a baseball player. And I was really for Louis a rise because his defense had improved dramatically over in San Francisco, having Ron Washington kind of his ear there. But yeah, man, I think at this point, like there's just no way in chance that I'd be re signing Jazz even if if and I'm expecting Jazz to kind of sign like a like a two year contract with a one at want like an option to opt out, or a one year prove it deal, like that's kind of what I'm expecting from him. But even if I'm the Yankees, there's just I don't want any part of that anymore. I'd love to sign Luis a rise in free agency because he will be a free agent. I don't think he's gonna sign for a ton of money just because front offices don't value what he does. Look, I know this is like way too early for the offseason. But two things I'm doing immediately if from the Yankees is signing Luis a Rise and hiring one Ron Washington to coach third base and coach the innfield. Those are the two things I'm doing. I'm getting George Lombard Junior, who's already showing that he's going to be an elite defender. I mean, I don't want to kick him when he's down, but there's just no way Anthony Bolti makes that play in the hole there or makes that throw. I've seen him enough, you know. I'm just Those are just the two very easy things that I'm doing if I'm the Yankees.
Speaker 1: So something I was talking about on the show yesterday or day before. I'm not sure if you watched, but I think it's totally appropriate to compare Lombard and Volpi. They're competitors in the same organization. Right at this moment, they are in competition for the shortstop position. Okay, Volpi is obviously losing that competition. He's down in triple A. It doesn't mean we have to kick him, but it's not It's not sacrilege to be like, you know what, Lombard's better he's just better, right, we're just evaluating. I don't think that's kicking somebody when they're down.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the evidence, it's impossible to ignore. The arm strength is elite for Lombard. And we've got some people talking in the chat about whether Lombard would be a good leadoff hitter. I think eventually, but I don't think Yanks want to put that kind of pressure on him yet. But so far in the major leagues hitting three hundred and three for ten with a couple of walks, so getting on base. He has tough at bats. But I want to see him get through the league a little bit for you know, maybe a month or so, and see how he's doing, see how the hee's pitching him, pitching him, because the last thing we need is for him to get attacked differently and go into a big, long slump, because Grisham has been in a huge slump. If you put somebody else in there and he immediately goes into a slump, well then it's just like you're giving up the leadoff spot for a whole season. I'd rather put somebody who can actually hit in that spot. I was hoping that it would be Dominga's didn't work out. Honestly, I agree with Joel Sherman. I think Jose Cabairo needs to be the second baseman for right now. Just go ahead and put him in the lead off spot. He'll he's fast. At least if he gets on base. He's not gonna get on a base a ton, but at least if he gets on base, he can steal second, you know, and maybe you get a run in the first inning. So that's where I'm at. Ryan McMahon, good day, had the sack fly to win it. David Bednar, good job in the ninth inning, Yankees win this one over win. Okay, I'm calling it audible. I've been playing too much Madden this afternoon. While I was waiting for the rain delay, I was playing a little Madden, and I'm in the mood here to use a football term, borrow some football parlance. I'm calling an audible. I know we decided on the belt winner before we started live, but I'm changing it up just from the comments that we're seeing here. So your belt winner tonight, mister Ryan McMahon, And I'm gonna let you dissent like a Supreme Court justice in just a second, but one the original belt winner that we had decided on, or that I had dictated was Ben Rice because that double to break out of the slump there and tie the game in the ninth inning. You wanted to go Luis Garcia because of that great play, but if you're gonna give him credit for that great play, you have to also consider McMahon's great play defensively. And McMahon also had two hits and the game winning hit. So that is my reasoning behind Ryan McMahon. But feel free to dissent.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I got a little frazzle there, my girlfriend calling me mid show. But I think I was going with Louis Garcia Junior just because, yeah, that's right, guys, I'm in a relationship. I don't live alone.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna say, we gotta tell her to knock that shit off.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I'll let her know. I'll let her know. But I went with Louis Garcia Junior just because I thought that play in the ninth inning saved the game, just that one play. It was a tremendous play. He's not really known for his glove. He's definitely a offense first first baseman. He I mean the Nationals were basically like they banished him from second and made him a first basement's last dagh. But I thought that that was a critical play in the game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, That run scores.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't know if they're with this offense the way that they've been playing, Like, I really really just thought that there was a good chance they were gonna lose that game. So that's why I had gone with Garcia. You have Max Freed, obviously contender with a great start tonight. There were a lot of guys you could have gone with, but for me, it was Garcia just on that play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna agree with Wayne that we got some great honorable mentions. Let's get to one of them. Max Freed, who was tremendous tonight. Six and a third innings, three hits, no runs, two walks, seven strikeouts. It's a shame that it has to be so stressful because he can't get any run support. He deserved to win. He pitched well enough to get a win, and the fastball was over ninety seven tonight. I think he's fully back. I think he's fully backed.
Speaker 2: TK Oh yeah, no, he looked great. He looked fantastic. He didn't really look like he was laboring at all or whatever anything like that. Stuff looked great. Atlanta's a great team, They're one of the better teams in baseball. Also, pitching against his former team sometimes there's something like maybe they know him better than other teams do just scouting wise. So I thought he looked great. You know, I thought that they were gonna maybe let him finish up that that seventh inning, but I guess they don't want to like push it too much coming back from injury. But definitely very encouraging. Seven k's. You know, there was only I guess that war little misshapp And I think this is just because you know, Garcia is a new player where you know, there was that back play, but and then you saw Boone talk to him in the dugout after that, Like when Max is on the mound, you always got to be covering the back because of the move that he has.
Speaker 1: So yeah, let's get to the game breakdown real quick, getting kind of late here. Seven hits for the Yankees, three doubles, no home runs, seven walks, fifteen strikeouts. Fifteen strikeouts for the Yankees tonight. That is no good. They left thirteen men on base tonight and two for eleven with runners in scoring position. TK it is astonishing how many people they leave on base and how much they strike out. Elliott Ramos with the hardest hit ball of the night, one oh six point three. I love that opposite field line drive from him. It reminded me of that Gary Sanchez double from the twenty seventeen ALCS you talk about. Just I can mentally replay that perfectly because I've seen it so many times and I go there in my mind and I just feel, I feel good. I feel a good season.
Speaker 2: Who just love that team. You tell the Todd Father thank you for the memories.
Speaker 1: All right, I will. I'll say he's supposed to be on the show. At some point. We're gonna get him. We're gonna get crats here as we go towards the uh the Pennant race. Here, take a look at the division snapshot. So, unfortunately, the Rays did win tonight. They're two and one and the Red Sox won. They won thirteen to one. So the Yankees remain a half game ahead of the Boston Red Sox and still four and a half back of the Rays. It's looking like a wild card year. I'm just hoping it's not the second wild card. I don't want to go on the road.
Speaker 2: No, no way, no way, you want to go on the road. But I think that that means that the Yankees are probably gonna get bounced early in the postseason. I think that winning the division is critical for making a deep run. You saw that last year the playoffs with you know the Blue Jays. Yeah, you had a legendary star from Cam Schlittler, and you were able to beat the Red Sox at home. But then you know, the Blue Jays were kind of waiting for you. They got their pitching set up, you know, they were able to align that up, and it's the Rays are not going to be easy. Neither are the Red Sox the way that they're playing right now now, it's one of those things. Eric, Like the beginning of the season, I didn't think the Red Sox were that bad, but I don't think that they're this good either. Even over this forty game sample, they're playing great, but I don't expect them to, like, you know, become the best team in baseball over the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I think that they will cool off and maybe they cool off right in time for October. But at the same time, man like you know, it's the same formula with this team, the strikeouts, the no big hit. You know, they don't get the big two out hit a lot. You know that does not work in October.
Speaker 1: Can I interject something? So we're looking at this screen now for those of you who want to say batting average doesn't matter. The two teams that fill up the top five batting averages in the American League East are the Rays and the Red so Yandy Diaz two ninety six, Chandler Simpson two ninety six, Setian Rafaela to eighty nine, Wilson Contraras two eighty eight, and Jonathan Roonda to eighty seven. Not a single three hundred hitter in the division, but that's probably because Judge was struggling and hurt. As Wilson Contreras as your leader in the division with a nine thirty five OPS. Junior Caminaro second, Ben Rice is third winner or the leader and wins is Sonny Gray at fourteen wins. He has been unbelievable TK fourteen and two with a two point seven eight ERA, and he has been great at home. He has been great on the road, eight and one on the road, six and one at home. Sonny Gray having a fantastic year. I'll be interested to see how Cam Schlutler bounces back, because every time he has a bad start, he seems to rebound quite well. I'll take a look back at his recent action here and see if I can find his his start by start. Let's see, I know we have game logs here somewhere, I just can't find it. Oh yeah, here we go, game lug. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was hearing on Mookie Bets's podcast, like every time he goes through a start, like the his coaches, his mental coaches show him videos of people like talking, you know, talking to ne talk against him and like kind of motivating mentally. So Cam, if you're watching, you sucks last start and use this as the fuel for the next game, all right, man, Like there you go.
Speaker 1: So backround June thirtieth, he gave up six runs to the Tigers. Next time out was against the Rays, eight innings of one run ball, and then the next time that he's stunk was let's see, I guess it was four and things against the Dodgers, and then he went seven and a third innings of shut out ball against the Phillies and struck out twelve and so last time against the Cardinals, four runs, six strikeouts, and five walks. Unlike him. So all right, TK, let's say a couple of voicemails and get the hell out of here.
Speaker 3: I swear this past offseason one of the worst Thinger did was offering Trent Grisham that qualifying offer. Not only is he not hitting and he's a below average offensive player, but defensively, both analytically and in the iepest, he is just horrendous. His arm is flat out not good, and again defensively, he cannot be so slow. He cannot run down any ball. And not only does he give the team extra outs offensively, but then attacking your bullpen, attackes the pitchers pitching as a starting pitcher, and then attacking your offense because they have to make up for extra runs that are scoring because he can't run down any ball. He is literally the worst move they've made his past offseason, and I am just beyond dealt with it. Let me know what you think there, thank you.
Speaker 1: I gotta say no notes, no notes on that call.
Speaker 2: Tak Yeah, yeah, I hope that's kind of going back and work one because before you even got hurt, he was on a bit of a heater and he was playing well, and I was like, oh, maybe I was wrong. Nope, nope, I was dead on the money. I expected him to turn back into the player that he was, and that the Yankees, you know, I hated that. Well, you know, we wanted to have an insurance who wanted to secure a center fielder because they didn't know if they were bringing back Cody back. It's like, dude, at that point, you had two outfielders that were untouchable in trades, and it's just like, you know, why didn't you go one of those guys. If you're not going to trade them, then you have to play them, and maybe you just struggle with the growing paints And yes to at Ban twenty one. I am still posting on my YouTube and I'll probably be doing so this weekend at some point.
Speaker 3: Go check it out.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody, I've got some great news. Okay, TK is now a made guy. TK will be getting a victory hat in the mail. Let's hear it for your guy, TK. It only took him a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Also, Frankie baseball. You know, we were unable to offload him at the deadline. Apparently he failed the physical, so Frankie's still around unfortunately. All right, ladies and gentlemen, more time from John Sterling. Oh, game over, Cans win Nik. You know, Frankie was at the game tonight and I was gonna say he was. I had this whole joke written out about how much bad luck he was when they were down to nothing, because both times that he's gone, it has rained and the game has gone extra late, and uh, you know, I was, I was gonna I was gonna break his balls a little bit, but they pulled through the win. Any final thoughts here before we wrap it up.
Speaker 2: He literally texted me in All Caps win of the year when when they did win the game, we were texting back and forth, so he said he got to uh he got to see Reggie Jackson walk right by him. Michael Kay as well. We were texting back and forth. I got the chance to meet Karl Anthony Towns today, so I had texted him that. He was like, oh, we both met some some New York royalty today. So you know, Cat, great guy, by the way, great guy.
Speaker 1: When I was twelve. I went to Game one one of the nineteen ninety five American League Division Series. It was Don Mattingly's first ever postseason game, and around the eighth inning we left. It was a weeknight, so we left a little bit early to beat traffic because my dad had to work in the morning and he would get up at like five in the morning and go to work. And so we're leaving the stadium and I got my head down, I'm reading the program and I bump into an old guy. No sorry, man, and my brother who was with us, and my dad stopped in their tracks like they saw a ghost. It was Joe DiMaggio. I bumped into him. I bumped him to him. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Whoa dude that is. That is like a walking legend. That's like one of those guys where they're like floating when they walk around.
Speaker 1: I bumped into the guy who married Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's wild, Yeah, that's wild. Yeah, not a very handsome guy, but he was Joe Demaggio, you know.
Speaker 1: A handsome guy. Come on, let's not pick on, pick on, Joe Dumbmaggio. All right, guys, we'll see you next time. Hey, Thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store, Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it. We'll see you next time.