Speaker 1: I love the sounds, the constant buzzing from the stadium, the melodic yet off key chanting from the fans, the whistles, the rhythmic cadence of announcers calling the place. I feel at home with this in the background. Add to that Lavodana. I love to see a table with spicy snacks and an extra cold beer that spent the last five minutes in the freezer. Elksito Las. All of this is football to me, soccer and not just any soccer. It's the World Cup. Most of my World Cup memories are tied to my If I go back to the foggy burst of memories of my very early years growing up in Mexico, I can see him sitting cross legged on the carpet close to the boxy TV, the sound of a soccer match in the background, and the smell of his cigarette. It was the eighties, okay. After my parents split, my dad moved to the United States to Arizona. My little sister and I would visit, and in the summer of nineteen ninety eight, I remember watching France win the final with Sinnadin Sedan, hearing my dad say his name just like that. By the last World Cup In twenty twenty two, I was living in Arizona with a child of my own, a toddler. I dressed her up in this cute bootleg Mexico jerseys so we could match. I taught her how to cheer for Mexico. She was into it. I remember my dad letting out one of his squinty Eyeland laughs when he watched his granddaughter in uneven picktails, copying us. My dad always a sports guy through and through a sports watcher, I should say, I'm talking ESPN and Univision de Portes, always on TV, knowing all the stats, the rankings of tennis players, how the top golfers were trained, which baseball team would win it all, and of course all things soccer, from small leagues to the national teams. I am not that at all, but I kind of go nuts every four years when the FIFA Men's World Cup erups. I yell at the TV like a backseat coach. I make side comments about the hot players. I constantly get up, I pace a little, I get real close to the screen during peak moments. My dad much quieter, with some yais here and there and single collapse for at least ninety minutes in a game, the steaks feel so damn high. I love the drama under this dull roar from the stadium coming through the screen, and those sounds. If I close my eyes I can hear them. Up until now, they've given me a sense of home, of fun, of spending time with my dad. But if I'm really honest, I feel uneasy about what they might bring up this summer. This will be the first time I'm going to hear those sounds without my dad. His void of canyon proportions hits me as I prepare to watch the first World Cup since his passing. Will it make me miss him more, feel his presence closer? I have no idea. What I do know is that for so many of us, the World Cup in soccer in general, is tied to the beautiful and sometimes bittersweet memories of home.
Speaker 2: To me, for what means family, I think my first soccer game I went to I was still my mom's womb.
Speaker 3: I love watching them with my mom and my sister.
Speaker 2: It probably my little circles together in Louis.
Speaker 1: I like paging it with my dash.
Speaker 2: I'm a grandpa now, so I'm getting them into good training them now that's.
Speaker 1: A little of what we heard when we took our mix to the street. And see, when you're a soccer lover here in the United States, many times that connection is also to another country, like it was for me and my dad. We weren't in Mexico with other family members when the games were on, but we put on our green jerseys and try to make it feel like it because this is a place made up of immigrants, and so many times soccer is that tied to our roots, to our homelands.
Speaker 4: As I grew up back in Lobanon, it was the center of everything.
Speaker 1: I'm from Colombia and I feel like it's part of my culture and growing up.
Speaker 2: I've grew up in Morocco watching soccer and it's beautiful. When I say soccer, I mean for nobody gets that confused.
Speaker 1: And it's also our connection to people from other places in the world, whether it's playing a game of pickup soccer or watching a match, it's a connecting force.
Speaker 2: Being able to learn about let's say, Cameroonians, you know, Nigerians playing with Iraqi's, Afghani's and I'm not Goudoria my friends.
Speaker 1: Being Brazilian is my friend being Colombia and my friend, like everybody just collapsed.
Speaker 2: We all come together and we watch the same thing, which is football.
Speaker 1: I think Pele, the Brazilian soccer Idol has said it best football is the beautiful game.
Speaker 5: The joo is soccer, soccer.
Speaker 1: El juego bonito, the beautiful game that is soccer. And this summer, the best male players in the world will be entertaining us from the biggest stage at the FIFA Men's World Cup. I'll be wearing the Mexico jersey, of course, but as I have in the past, I'm also going to root for my other favorites if my Mexico is out last World Cup. I went to the mall to buy an Argentinian jersey at child's large was actually cheaper, and since it fits, I went with that. I mean, how could I not root for MESSI back then, come on, but I also love an underdog, and we get plenty of that in this World Championship. Every four years we watch as tiny countries can go toe to toe with economic superpowers. Uruguay has consistently punched above its weight, even though it has a population the size of the state of Iowa. In twenty eighteen, I remember rooting for Croatia when they won the semi final. Their small framed superstar Modric had me googling facts about the Slavic countries. The second Scholar Station History top final. That same year, Senegal, a relatively poor nation, made it to the World Cup, while the US didn't. Cl only the third African saint who have reached the quarter finals of a World Cup Cameroon in nineteen ninety gone or in twenty ten. With the others, and even the US team itself is an underdog. It's like the one thing that the US is a true underdog at, which is part of the fun of rooting for them. Getting to watch these teams compete every four years, the giants, the little guys, and those in between. It provides an escape from an increasingly tumultuous world. For me and for many of you.
Speaker 2: Why do I watch the World Cup? That's like asking me why do I breed?
Speaker 1: Soccer means fun?
Speaker 2: I just love the spirit behind it. The guys are young and cute and fat.
Speaker 1: I learn about celebrations, learn about players, memes, songs from the crowd, and listen. I'm not blind to the many, many, many flaws behind this whole event, the politics, the corruption, the human rights violations, the insanely expensive tickets, the scams, all the things happening outside of the field. I'm not discounting any of that. But once the whistle blows and the game starts, none of that can stop me from loving what's at the core of the World Cup, the heart, the passion for rooting for your team, the soccer. Of all the unimportant things, football is the most important. A version of this quote has been attributed to everyone from Pope John Paul the Second to soccer players and coaches, but the sentiment is the same regardless of who says it. This thing we love is important simply because we love it. From Futuro Studios, I'm Fernande Chavarri and this is American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and it's under dog roots. The Men's World Cup is coming to our continent and to this country, so we're using this huge event to dive deep into what soccer means in the United States. We look into its history as an immigrant sport and the details are surprising. It is an American game. The Brazilians don't like hearing that, though we talk to players, the women and men who've been fighting to bring you as soccer into the limelight. We were tied zero zero with Brazil in the second round and I took an elbow to my head which cracked my skull. We'll hear from immigrants all across the country for whom soccer is a touchstone, but who've also women the sport into American culture and life. And of course we're also going to talk big cultural moments of this twenty twenty six World Cup, the surprise, the fans, the songs, the memes, the beautiful game. But first we're going to start with a little history. We're going back to the nineties, to the very first time that the World Cup came to the United States. There was Oprah, there was oj and it changed soccer here forever. We'll be right back. This is American football. I'm Fernande Chavarri. This summer will be the second time the United States gets to host a World Cup, so it's worth talking about the first time that happened to understand just how far the US has come. Back in the late eighties, the US didn't even have a soccer league, so it's wild that in the summer of nineteen eighty eight, FIFA, the governing body of soccer, announced that the nineteen ninety four World Cup would be hosted in the United States, a country where soccer wasn't really that big at the time. I mean it makes sense that the reaction from the world of soccer was shall we say mixed.
Speaker 3: I think opinion was divided. I think some people saw this as this is the next frontier. There's clearly tremendous marketing opportunities, revenues to be derived from this, and that really, if we are to be the global sport, we need the US on board. But equally there were people who were thinking, well, what are they going to do to it?
Speaker 1: This is Jonathan Wilson. Jonathan is a columnist for The Guardian and an all around soccer expert.
Speaker 3: I'm a football historian. I've written thirteen books of football history, including The Parent of Glory, A History of the World Cup.
Speaker 1: He grew up in Sunderland, a shipbuilding town in the northeast of England, and like everyone else he knew, Jonathan was obsessed with soccer from a very young age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, went in my first game October eighty two when I was six so that's first World Cup. I remember, so I turned six during that tournament, and you'd say, that's one of the real formative experiences of my life. This recognition of football is this vehicle for accessing the world.
Speaker 1: Or at least a good chunk of the world. Because back in the eighties and early nineties, the US really wasn't part of that global family of soccer players and lovers. It had n't competed in the World Cup since the fifties, and the country had tried and failed to build a successful national soccer league. This was the country fef I wanted for the World Cup. People were worried that the US would sort of ruin the game for everyone else.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember, there was all these rumors and you never quite knew how seriously to take them, that, Oh, it's not gonna be two half, it's gonna be four quarters because they have to fit in the ad breaks.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can you imagine a soccer game with ad breaks every ten minutes? And that criticism wasn't just happening outside of the country. Tom Weir, a columnist for USA Today, wrote at the time, quote, Hating soccer is more American than apple pie, driving a pickup or spending Saturday afternoon's channel surfing with the remote control end quote.
Speaker 3: And I think to an extent, it's understandable that if you're a fan of American football or basketball, or baseball or ice hockey, you don't want this other sport coming in and stealing your market share. Of course you're going to be opposed to it.
Speaker 1: So what is happening in the US. Is there an effort or a push to get more buy in from the public before the World Cup? How does the US sort of make soccer be more exciting for people?
Speaker 3: There was, but what they did wasn't to try and sell the game. They were selling the event, and I think that was exactly the right thing to do. They say, look, this is this enormous world event. I mean, we've seen Johnny and Patina at this time saying this is one hundred and four Super Bowls.
Speaker 1: One hundred and four Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: I mean, that wasn't language used then, but it was similar. This is this enormous global event is coming to your country. Go and watch it, even if you're interested in soccer, go and watch the fans, go and watch the sort of the passion of other people.
Speaker 1: So maybe people here were still on the fence about soccer as a sport but an event a show. Now that is US of a up Until then, Jonathan says, World Cup opening ceremonies were kind of not so.
Speaker 3: Flashy this summing endearing the amateurship at quite a lot of it is this sort of school sports day atmosphere to it.
Speaker 1: So the US said, call my beer, We're going to turn this into up production and listen, you can't make this up. That day, the day of the opening ceremony, June seventeenth, nineteen ninety four, will also go down in history as one of the juiciest moments of the nineties in the US.
Speaker 3: For something else, that's the day of BOJ Simpson car chase through Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: The vehicle is registered to Al Kling, a former teammate, close friend of Oj Simpsons who has been a fugitive from justice. Now almost twelve hours.
Speaker 1: The other day, I was watching a documentary called Soccer Town USA, and the players were talking about how they were literally distracted by the ojchase that night when they should have been trying to get in the zone.
Speaker 3: I'm hearing the TV in the crowd on second, Yo, toes, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe this was happening, and he kept yelling at me, and we got a World Cup game. And it's early tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's an absurd day of Americana.
Speaker 2: The opening ceremonies are underway. Let's go now to Soldier Field.
Speaker 1: It's a sweltering afternoon at Soldier Field, the largest sports stadium in Chicago, packed to the gills, more than sixty thousand spectators on the stands and millions more watching at home. The MC of the event none other than Oprah the mt SA. Diana Ross sachets into the field in a bright red ninety suit, her hair flowing. She's surrounded by hundreds of dancers dressed in white, who part like the Red Sea. As she sprints down the middle towards the goalkeeper, there's a soccer ball waiting for her. All she has to do is kick it into the goal.
Speaker 3: And the idea is she kicks a ball into this skull, which then will split open and not introduced the next phase of the happening so only, but.
Speaker 1: Instead of that triumphant moment, Diana Ross hedges and then kicks the ball way to the left missing the goal completely.
Speaker 3: Sure that was supposed to happen, and okay, yeah, she's not a professional athlete. I think she just sort of poked. It would have been fine, but she takes a cue swing at it and sort of drags it wide. The goal still split. Outhing goes off, but it just looks fascical. I mean, I think Oprah fell off the stage and damaged your ankle as well.
Speaker 1: That wasn't on camera, so.
Speaker 3: It's sort of shambolic. It's ill omened. It's very funny for those of us watching on. And then the game itself, the first game of the World Cup, which is Germany against Bolivia, is a terrible, terrible game.
Speaker 1: Germany floundered but ultimately beat Bolivia one nil. It wasn't the best display of skilly bun.
Speaker 3: I'm watching it now thinking, God, I wish I'd been there to write about it. This would have been such an easy, funny piece to write.
Speaker 1: But this embarrassing star didn't actually doom the whole tournament. For one, it had record attendance.
Speaker 3: The highest average attendance of any World Cup was in nineteen ninety four. Oh wow, Because the US has the normal stadiums, I think probably there's a lot of immigrant communities who were going to games. There was a lot of traveling support. But you know, ordinary Americans who had not previously watched soccer were clearly going because they wanted to witness the event.
Speaker 1: But how did it end overall? Was it a good World Cup? And what would make it a good World Cup if it was?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what makes a good World Cup is a great question, And I think it's only partly about the quality football played. I think it's more about the storylines.
Speaker 1: It's about the storylines. And the nineteen ninety four World Cup here in the US also had some good drama. Argentinian superstar Diego Maradona had just returned from a drug band to play that tournament.
Speaker 3: Then the second game is against Nigeria, he's taken off of the random drugs test.
Speaker 1: At the end, once the game was over, a nurse walked into the field and escorted Maradona out to get a doping test.
Speaker 3: And it's a really heient image. They walk off hand in hand and she's wearing this sort of white uniform with sort of green crosses on it, and of course he fails to drugs test. Bulls the analysis of the urine sample have proved it to be positive, and he never plays vargentaintum again.
Speaker 1: Another example of the drama of this World Cup was the tragic victory of the US over Colombia after Colombian defender and Risiscobard kicked the ball into his own team's.
Speaker 4: Netted dr own girl the USA that's the school ascoball on the own goal and the United States breaks Columbia.
Speaker 1: Shortly after he returned to Colombia, he was shot to death, and there's still dispute over whether it was really about this mistake. But there were moments of triumph as well. Nigeria played their first ever World Cup and even though they didn't make it far, Jonathan says it was a debut to.
Speaker 2: Remember the.
Speaker 3: First goal that Rashita Buchini scores against Bulgaria and the group and his celebrations sort of yeah, clutching the net to its face one of the great iconic celebrations. And that was a great Nigeria team to wash and they went on to win the Olympic gold two years later. So there was loads of great stories. There was loads of great football played the beginning and the end weren't great, but the stuff in between.
Speaker 1: Was really good. That's my thing right there, the stories, the drama, the in between. I love hearing Jonathan say that that's what makes a World Cup great, and it makes me wonder what the story of this Summer's World Cup will be more after the break. This is American football. I'm Fernande Charity. By and large, the nineteen ninety four World Cup is credited with bringing back soccer to the United States. Two years after the tournament, in nineteen ninety six, the US gave birth to Major League Soccer. Obviously, we know that the US women's team has the most wins since the Women's World Cup started in nineteen ninety one. They are the winning team.
Speaker 4: The goal, the woman they fed most of the air, has given the USA the league.
Speaker 1: And this year, with the World Cup at home the men, they'll have another chance to prove themselves on their home turf and the home audience is watching.
Speaker 5: The reason that we're decked out in this red, white and blue reppin for USA is for this reason. The exclusive reveal of the twenty twenty six US Soccer World Cup uniform.
Speaker 1: Here. They are the most watched, the most followed event worldwide is going to be played here in the US, in Mexico and Canada, and this tournament is already primed for good stories. There's so many countries who fought so hot to get here, like Kati, deep in a humanitarian crisis, with security at an all time low, gangs ruled the country, and yet they qualified to play this year, making an appearance for the first time since nineteen seventy four. Iraq is also competing for the first time in forty years. There's going to be eight Arab nations playing, a record Ivery Coast and Senegal are set to compete, even though the US government put a visa ban on both of those countries. These stories also make it impossible to deny that the World Cup is coming back to a very different United States thirty two years later.
Speaker 3: I think this is a World Cup that people are approaching in trepidation because we don't know what's going to happen with Iran. It's the twenty third World Cup, the previous twenty two. The attitude of the House has always been, please come to our country, look at how gred it is, and go home. Tell everybody, by and large, that has been the attitude of hosts. You look back, even Mussolani in nineteen thirty four subsidized travel for foreign fans because you wanted people to come and see his Italy and how efficient and beautiful and effective it was.
Speaker 1: That's not the case today. The US is overly hostile to foreigners.
Speaker 3: Well, four qualified nations on the visa band lists, others on a soft block list. It's going to be a difficult tournament from that point of view, in a way that other tournaments haven't been.
Speaker 1: All of this will most likely become part of this World Cup story, visa bands, ice, raids, war. Still, none of that can take away from how deeply diverse of a country we are, and that diversity will be on display at this World Cup. As Americans wave they are many flags even before planes arrived from abroad. There will be a base of fans from all over the world ready to cheer for their roots. Call me hopeful, but I think that you will rally. I mean it is football, after all. Who do I root for the World Cup? Well?
Speaker 2: USA, always, always USA. I like the German team Moncle first and the USA obviously second.
Speaker 1: I would go with United States or Port Chico, Oh Mexico percent because I'm from there, my second church of Spain. I'm going to go ahead and say I just root for the Ecuadorian national team.
Speaker 2: Oh USA, USA Nigerian blood roots, of course, but USA.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 2: I would say Haiti because I was born there, but I had a chance to live in Brazil shortly. And actually one of the game that I'm absolutely going to be devastated to watch is while against Haiti.
Speaker 1: But I would say I routed a lot for England because obviously I'm half British Columbia.
Speaker 2: I like the Combia Mence team, not England, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Hey for.
Speaker 2: I don't know Mexico, but truly the US because you know, I've been raised here.
Speaker 5: It's a complicated time to be a US soccer fan.
Speaker 4: I feel like part of me wants to root for the United States, even though politically I have some complications here.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean we shouldn't root for our guys here. I'll root for Mexico, and if Mexico doesn't too great, then our root for USA.
Speaker 1: Viva Mexico. So join me every week for gripping and dramatic stories from past and present about the game we love and the people who love it. American Football is produced by Futuro Studios in collaboration with Iheart's Mike Ultura podcast Network. I'm Your host Fernandi Chavarri. This episode was produced by Me, Rebecca Ivara and Levi Sharp. It was edited by Marlon Bishop, fact checking by Roxanna Guire, mixing by Brandon Grugle at Multitude Productions. Victoria Strada is our production manager. Legal review by Jonathan Fisher at Fisher Legal Arts, additional production from Andres Cavaglero. Rebecca I. Barra is our senior editor. Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Futura Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana. Futura Media was founded by Maria no Josa. You can listen to more episodes on iHeartRadio, app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your shows. So if you like ours, please don't forget to rate and review and share it with your friends. It really helps us. Thanks for listening. Baye