Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three twenty eight, Episode five, the grand finale, Season three twenty eight of der Daley's I Guys Say production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. My body is a resonance chamber, according to our guests today, so we believe just a little exploring the ranges from up here.
Speaker 2: To that's just a scream to sing, baby to see.
Speaker 1: It's Friday, March eighth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yes, that means it's National Peanut Cluster Day. National. Hey, shout out to all the editors out there. It's National proofreading Day. You know what I mean. Proof read your shit, proofread your work, you know what I mean. And also, Jack, shout out to your birth state. It's National Oregon Day.
Speaker 1: Oregone. Yeah, how about that. It's a national like three times eight is twenty four, so that day of the month when the first two numbers make the last one. So shout out to basic multiplication.
Speaker 2: Is that a thing are you guys doing? Like beautiful mind type shit right now?
Speaker 1: Like the dumbest beautiful mind ship. Two plus two equals four, four plus two equals six.
Speaker 3: Like I've got the John Nash thing, but it's the most basic mask.
Speaker 2: Three a A one.
Speaker 1: Kindergarten, kindergarten, beautiful mind. Anyways, my name is Jack O'Brien aka. It's a murder in the back yard. Crows are looking for.
Speaker 4: Some food almonds Gonna make these goddamn birds my friends. That has a courtesy of Vicky Sage Murder on the Dance Floor about the murder of crows that I want to be friends in my backyard. I got some wild advice from frequent guests Ben Bolan about how to be a friend a murder of crows.
Speaker 1: I should have just like gone directly to him right like.
Speaker 2: It felt a little like spicy where he's like, bro, you're how are you going to ask about Corvid's Yeah, not hit me up? Is wrong with you? Corvid? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Every time I hear Corvid, I think of your New Zealand's accent.
Speaker 2: Thing Corvid, Corvid, Corvid nineteen, Corvid nineteen.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles ground.
Speaker 2: Break Old Lead.
Speaker 5: He's a man who's fingers aw soo old they are ice called old finger.
Speaker 2: That's obviously Shirley basically from a Goldfinger the titular song from the gold Fingers Shout out Ana, Ramic, you and sltis for that one, because you know that's yeah. That was like when I was first like, you know, messing around with making beats. That was like one of the first tracks that I sampled because the song starts off with this wild brass hits and I was like, oh my, just blaze shit back then. But anyway, if you're trying to make friends with some.
Speaker 1: Corvids with that wild vocalization, to me, my Hills, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a wildly talented Ethio American vocalist, songwriter, composer. Her most recent album was named among the best albums of the year by band Camp in the Sunday Times, She's performed on stages all over the world. The host of a podcast radio series, Live Show, Please Welcome the brilliantly talented mcley. Thank you, Welcome back, returning Champion. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm really good. I'm feeling sparkly today.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, we like that. We like Yeah, people don't know this, but we demand our guest sparkle. Yes, you are, but you are covered in sparks sparkling. Yes. And how's the weather, rider, how's the weather in the Bay Area?
Speaker 6: It has been raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining, raining and raining and raining and raining, but today's kind of.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, we got a peak of sun. So yeah, I don't like that the weather app like suddenly be like, oh yeah, it's going to be a torrential downpour in like an hour.
Speaker 6: It's not even an hour. It's like it'll be like it's all clear, and yet my socks are already soaking from being outed for two minutes.
Speaker 1: So you have that wild new AI technology where your socks get pre wet before it before it even rains.
Speaker 6: You know what sucks the worst. It's just the worst. They just ruin your day anyway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that and I think I was talking about this, I forget where, but when your shoes are so wet to the insoles and they're gushing. That's also one of my most hated sensations.
Speaker 1: We were talking about that on our basketball podcast, Miles and Jackob Matt Boost because there was a Converse shoe that was like, oh, Nike you're gonna put air in the bottom of your shoes. Well, we're gonna put liquid in the bottom of our shoes. React juice. It was like, No, people don't like, didn't want they did.
Speaker 6: That sounds gross.
Speaker 2: Squash squash, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like it just that's not what people are looking for when they're running around on the basketball court is wet shoes.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing they never made it. That wasn't really like the promise, you know, just more that it would get I don't know whatever, that somehow the liquid reacted to your muice would.
Speaker 6: Bring it back to what the brand intent.
Speaker 1: The physics never made any sense to me whatsoever.
Speaker 2: No, No, there's a commercial. This one's with J. R. Ryder from nineteen ninety four. No, Converse shoes would react choice. They're super light, you're perfect for you.
Speaker 1: And he comes out.
Speaker 2: But if then he's just dunking a bunch, it's not clear what the juice is doing.
Speaker 1: Oh it turned him into a scary were wolf.
Speaker 6: That he's a wolf.
Speaker 7: He's a wolf and some game page you got.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Anyways, the way we were selling things to people, Hey yeah, kid, yeah, we got to react juice and he turned to a were wolf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I guess that's good for basketball. I respect it. I respect that there's still room for like strange looking sixty eight year old men on TV back then, you know, now that would have been Chris Hemsworth trended.
Speaker 2: Rather than like a retired butcher from New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, mclet we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of the things we'll be talking about in a little bit. We're gonna talk. We're gonna get to meet a new just completely broken brain has dropped Freak of the Week, Mark Robinson, the GOP candidate for North Carolina governor and man just a murderer's row of beliefs that we've got here, truly.
Speaker 2: Now that says a lot when even like the people on the writer are like, this guy's a amazing they have electability problems, So yeah, we'll dive into those.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about the World War two photo of the sailor dipping the woman over backwards kissing her in Times Square on V Day. It's the I guess it's called VJ Day and Times Square it is controversial because a lot of questions about consent in that one yea, not really questions, just facts about consent that people who are familiar with picture, who you know, don't care about things like consenter just like, ah, shut up. So we're gonna talk about that because that's been in the news lately because of the VA banned it from their hospitals. And then we're like, psych, we just wanted to do make sure you knew that we weren't gonna ban it, and so right, I'm.
Speaker 2: Just glad you heard that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, we're gonna talk about music in the hospital because hospitals apparently if they were willing to be a little bit more musical and a little less beepy, fewer people would die. So all of that plenty more. But first, mcleat, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 6: All Right, I was just searching there's this there's like a new Apple Plus show called Constellation, and I was searching is Constellation horror? Because I started watching it and then there are these certain sounds and you're like, wait a minute, is this is this sci fi? Or is this like sci fi horror because I cannot do horror movies. I can't. I don't want to talk about ghosts. I don't want to watch nothing about ghosts. I don't want to watch nothing about some creepy stuff that's going to give me nightmares, or like when I wake up in the middle of the night, I think about some kind of no, no horror movies. So, yeah, it's Constellation horror.
Speaker 2: But is it horror?
Speaker 6: Well I didn't keep watching.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like there are these sounds, It's like, oh, this is a horror soundtrack. I then one site said yes, and I was out. I was like, no, no, I can't.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: I can't. I can't do horror.
Speaker 2: Horror. Yeah, a lot of talk of ghostly voices. Yeah, yeah, do it. So I don't. I don't like to unwind to that kind of stuff either.
Speaker 1: So where does the film Alien fall for you? Have you seen the film Alien?
Speaker 6: I have seen it.
Speaker 1: And horror sci fi?
Speaker 6: Well, a horror is a hyphenated horror sci fi. I will say that. You know, it's a little bit more thriller to me. Yeah, you know, it's like it's like it's on the other side of the line. But I just get creeped out, Like I wake up in the middle of the night a lot because I have a four and a half year old, and then yeah, and then those things they just like like, that's not what I want to be thinking about at three in the morning. I just I don't.
Speaker 1: Having a young child really puts you in a lot of horror movie settings, Like because you're walking around late at night, you don't get as much sleep. You'll wake up and there will be a child standing at your bedside, just like staring at you, like like a horror movie. Like that shit happens to me all the time. Oh Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I used to do that. I was checking if my mom and my grandma were breathing. Yeah, yeah, And I would and then I'll go back to bed. And I remember my mom like she would catch me a couple of times. She'd be like, please, it's it scares.
Speaker 6: Me, super creepy, And they whisper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you held a mirror up to their mouth and when they fogged it up, you were a red rum on it. What I was just making sure you were still breathing.
Speaker 2: Breathing.
Speaker 6: God, it's definitely over some kind of line.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, so is it the supernatural, like that's what you don't funk with.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't funk okay, Okay, So you're fine with like a just a regular human guy murderer terrorizing people, Like is that okay? Or is that still horror? And you're like just morally you're fine with that.
Speaker 1: It sounds like yeah, it sounds like you're gonna cos opponent serial killers.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: What I'll say is I have stopped watching like all of those shows, those like you know, human Killer, blah blah blah, true crime. It's all about hurting women. So like that I have stopped. I have stopped, but more like, oh there it is again. God just noticing how much it's that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right right right? Yeah yeah, well now maybe maybe maybe I'll do this Constellation challenge and watch it t I no, no, no, no, no, this.
Speaker 9: Is wait well thank you No, yeah, I don't like I'm I think it's because like I'm just such a like I'm like THC the person like I like to be chill, So anything that gets me stressed out, like for entertainment.
Speaker 2: I'm like no, no, no, life is already stressful. I need to go to the land of not you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I always find it interesting that Star Wars is like completely flat lines every time they put it out in China. And one of the reasons people point too is that China doesn't fuck with ghosts because and like Star Wars, cut is just like somebody who died, just like pops up and they're like, I'm blue now and I can like pass a.
Speaker 2: Long information to you.
Speaker 1: And apparently the Chinese film going audience is just like what the fuck like won't even even countenance it. So right, I'm just saying a little life hack for people who don't fuck with supernatural things but don't mind a nice little thriller. Check out the box office performance in China to see.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh right, got it? Yeahmark it? Yeah, I love it. If they're more just like it's really weak writing to be honest, yeah, you know, like there so much day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I can see that. What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 6: Going to bed early, like three times a week. I've started going to bed at like eight thirty, and I know it sounds so so early, but I've been on my like three days a week of eleven hours of sleep, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Just, oh my god, I know what.
Speaker 2: I love it you're able to stay in bed that long. You can pull off eleven like that, that many hours straight of sleep.
Speaker 6: I mean I never used to be able to, but once again I will return to the four and a half year old. What is it about those little little creatures that just requires so much energy? I mean it's all it's amazing every but so much energy that like eight thirty rolls around and I'm like, I'm I'm done.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah. I got in bed at nine thirty last night.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you can't stay awake.
Speaker 6: Also, there their sleep like rolls over you and.
Speaker 1: Just like so peaceful. They don't have anxiety yet, it's yet, except for except for young Miles Gray. Just they're who walked over and like make sure you're still breathing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gotta make dude. Yeah, I was fair. I mean I was I've always been kind of an anxious. Kids. They alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, take advantage of that. Take advantage of that. Like if you're able to sleep eleven hours, god damn, I know, but it's my hat's off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just just a few times a week a few times a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kids, Yeah, if you can get on the same schedule as your kids, like that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. I started going to bed at seven like my baby. Yeah all right.
Speaker 6: I think it was the two years of waking up ten times a night that did it. Maybe I'm still catching.
Speaker 2: Up from that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, sure, sure, sure. I feel like my that period just like ruined my nervous system and now I just like wake up at four point thirty every morning, just like.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right everything?
Speaker 1: What is what something you think is overrated?
Speaker 6: High heels one hundred percent over rated? Don't want to wear them, don't want to think about them, don't want to see them my feet. Like I at one point I had all these high heels. I just I threw them away and it was so fun. It was like it was like I was like, oh, this is the time when I actually want to, you know, burn the trash. It was it was like it really, high heels, it's too much, it's too much, so overrated.
Speaker 2: Did you snap the heel off the shoe like like a wishbone, like in a BacT of liberation, You're like, ah, like give me another pair.
Speaker 6: That sounds like it would be a wonderful set of release. Yeah, maybe next time.
Speaker 2: What are you wearing? Now? What's what's your what's your foot game? Like?
Speaker 6: Like now I like fancy sneakers. Yeah, I'm into the I'm into the fancy sneakers, especially you know, on stage whatever, and then boots. That's it, some fancy sneakers.
Speaker 2: Okay, boots.
Speaker 1: I was talking to somebody who is like a real like foot like footwear snob in a way that I hadn't encountered, where he was like, well, see, the thing is with you with most kids' shoes, the toe box is too narrow. You need to let their toes spread out, and like most of our shoes, you're like walking in a pillow. You can't like grip the ground. You need like shoes that have like barely any that make you feel like you're walking barefoot. And it all made sense to me. Sounds like a lot of work.
Speaker 6: Is that the kind of person who wants you to wear the toes that like the shoes that are like toe Yeah, totally he.
Speaker 1: Did not, And I asked him a number of times. I was like, but you're trying to get me to wear those two toe shoes, right, you're part of that cult that has the particulated toes at the end of the free at the end of the shoe. It's but I truly, based on everything he was saying, I can't imagine a worse thing for a human foot than fucking high heels. Unbelievable. Shouldn't be allowed.
Speaker 2: This is I don't know if you see this. This is a video my friend sent me when they went to a parent teacher conference of another parent who had leather toe shoes. Wow. That's real. Wow those are And I was like, they look like if Darth Vader was wearing those toe shoes. Like the ascetic of the shoe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it looks like a costume. It looks like a looks like.
Speaker 1: It's like a Christian Bales batman like became like dropped LSD and like moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, became skin basically. Yeah. Well, you know, I like being foot, so like I'm not like against the idea of like something that mimics that, but part of me is like I'll just be barefoot, you know, like I do a lot of barefoot, like around the house or just like if I have to go up the street or something. I'm not. I'll go to the mailbox and bare feet.
Speaker 6: Really, I mean yeah, so there's in your neighborhood, there's no I.
Speaker 2: Know how to I know how to dodge it. Okay, I'm nimble, I'm spry, and I can do all. I can dance around it. But like as a kid growing up like in La, I just was always barefoot, especially in the summer, so like the blacktop, like my feet like just became accustomed to summer asphalt barefoot. And I kind of take that now that's the point of pride. Although the bottoms of my feet look terrible. They look like flintstone ships.
Speaker 1: But whatever, flintstone ships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, like you know the ships. Yeah yeah, not not they're not.
Speaker 1: They're but there was a part of the flintstones that my brain had blocked out. Oh no, but you're just saying that. Like the skin on the bottom of your feet is like three inches oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And anytime like I've I've gone to like I remember I got like a petticure once when I was working on a campaign with all the other campaign people, like it was like right after election. It was on election. They were like all right, it, work's done. Let's just we can treat yourself. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was cool because I'd never done it before, and like all these people, I was like, no, not go ahead, come on, come on. They went, and the amount of time they spent on the bottom of my feet, I was like, Oh.
Speaker 1: Did they do the sanding thing, like the cheese grater on the bottom of your feet where there's just like a pile of grated parmesan.
Speaker 2: They yeah, they put a respirator on and like like an air vent like they were cooking at like a tepanyaki restaurant or something.
Speaker 6: You needed one of those treatments where the fish come and eat the dead skin off your feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see that all the time. Yeah. I'm like, but then part of me is like, is that really good eating on there for you? That good eating? Okay?
Speaker 1: They just give up the fight and they're like, geez enough, Yeah, yeah, right, like pandorizer, you get some a one on this. It's a little well done.
Speaker 2: Salted a little bit before you come to the damn All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some news. We'll be right back and we're back and new Broken Brain just dropped Mark Robinson, GOP candidate for North Carolina governor. I had heard tell of this man, yeah, but I didn't know the specifics I mentioned him.
Speaker 2: You know how Trump said this guy's Martin Luther King times too, But are you really the beginning of that quote is this guy's Martin Luther King on steroids? Did you really see that? That was the first the first half of that quote that I missed. I just caught him calling him Martin Luther King times too. Because again, the GOP is deploying their favorite tactic of being like, what if we got a black person to run as a Republican and then maybe that'll excuse some of the wacky nonsense that they're gonna stay out of their minds and how.
Speaker 1: Like businesses pitch things. Now it's like this on steroids. Yeah, Like that's he's truly being like I think that like Martin Luther King and meets George Washington on steroids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy's Martin Luther. He's got terrible back acne and terrible impulse and rage controlled issues like wait what? But yeah, so I feel like, you know, like every election cycle we get one or two candidates on the right that have just that extra special something you know that. I mean, yeah, an absolute freak that was raised on a diet of like Facebook shit posts and Alex Jones. And well, this cycle's freak looks to be. As we've said, Mark Robinson of North Carolina. He's the lieutenant governor. He's running for governor against the state's attorney general, Josh Stein. And man, this black man is so maggot out in the brain that he comes off like the real Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks. I don't know if you watch The Boondocks, but Uncle Rugus, like that's him. Okay, Before I run down a list of some of his greatest hits, I think it's important to remember that these massive culture war grievance candidates do not perform well, as demonstrated in twenty twenty two, as demonstrated by Ron DeSantis. But this is what the GP's going with. So here's Mark Robinson on the issues. Ready, here we go. On abortion, he won't even use the word in public, he said, and when he has used the word, he's likened it to slavery. Voting rights, he believes women should not be allowed to vote lgbt women should not be allowed to vote. Actually that he said, we need to go back to the time when women weren't allowed to vote voting before that meet too nonsense.
Speaker 6: And he's already the lieutenant governor.
Speaker 2: He's already lieutenant governor. LGBTQ issues the end of civilist and has also likened them to maggots. Not very great civil rights movements. He said, a communist plot to overthrow capitalism, and black people actually lost freedoms.
Speaker 1: A communist plot to overthrow capitalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe because towards the end, I mean, you know, Martin Luther King was speaking a little bit more specifically about capitalism, but again his main takeaway though, is that black people actually lost freedoms during the Civil rights movement. George Soros, he's the mastermind behind Boco Haram in Nigeria. The Holocaust never happened, moon Landing, Fake as Hell, nine to eleven, Inside Job, Michelle Obama is a man. Music industry ram by Satan reparations. Guess what, folks, Black people should be paying money back rather than receiving reparations.
Speaker 1: That's just weird that, Like he got the music industry one right, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah right, I was like, yeah, you know, kind of based on what we're hearing, does not sound great, might not be Satan the Dark the Prince of darkness, but I you mean that there is there is a there is a darkness that hangs over the music industry.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, yeah, I mean a nine to eleven inside job. I mean I was nineteen at one point, but yeah, this is uh but yeah, so this guy turned the maga dial up to Jesse Helms on crystal meth. And keep in mind that like North Carolina voters are like, you know, they're the kind of voters that will elect a Democrat as governor like Roy Cooper, but then also Trump will win the state as president, so they aren't always like it's it's a little bit like less idiological sometimes. And you know, while he did win the nomination, thirty five percent of Republicans rejected him and his terrible beliefs, which is probably more likely to help Democrats down ballot than anything. But yeah, it's just this, this whole the black Maga shtick is just it just obviously reeks of internalized white supremacy. But since you know, white supremacists are pulling the strings politically on that side. You know, they might as well just keep thinking that again, having a black candidate is enough to offset all the nonsense. I just listed every type.
Speaker 1: Of white supremacist we have now, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly internalized, outward white supremacist. Curious's right, there's all kinds that we have. But yeah, like just going down that list, you're like, how do you expect to Okay, I don't know. I don't know. I don't I haven't seen Josh Stein's you know what his platform is either, But it's just the this is again we're just starting to see the new, the new all stars of the twenty twenty four election cycle.
Speaker 1: Have we had a Holocaust denier like running for major office like this major in office? That's pretty stag Like, that's what did David Duke rum for? That's right? Okay, we had.
Speaker 2: A literal clan wizard, you know what I mean? Yeah? Yeah, but I but I guess because a lot of people are like these are things he said on his Facebook from a while back. But either way, these all come together to form the we have no Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he'll come through with like the watered down HOLOCAUSTA and I'll take I don't know what that even.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's going to be pressed on it, but yeah, this is it's just it's just it is. It is wild to see it because I mean there was also there there was another person. I mean, Trump would always meet with these people, but yeah, running for it's not that he's running on that platform, but he'll probably do the thing where he's like, oh, I'm not talking, but I was just old. I never said anything like that, you know what I mean. He's like, I'm trying to focus on denying people body autonic or he'll just like.
Speaker 6: Or he'll just like, you know, run wild off the page of the talking points that the Republican Party is trying to get it to stick to, you know what I mean, because those things are so unhinged that it's not a person who could like stay focused on like messaging. It's just that that is I don't know, but it's like, my how many times do I do I end up speechless in a day because of like some wild assault, Like I'm like, wait, what what?
Speaker 2: Truly truly And he was even saying like he's like, you know, Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby are being maligned like was was his take was a few years ago. So he's you know, he's he's on the wrong side of everything basically. So you know, I gotta love the consistency. Yeah, he's just gotta make sure everything sir reparations. Nah, yeah, we need to be paying money back. I was like, wow, not even wrong. They're saying that.
Speaker 1: All the way wrong. He doesn't just want to be part way wrong. He's gonna he's gotta follow it through to the logical conclusion like this, Each each stance on each issue is like a logic puzzle for him, where he's like no, no, no, no, no, no no, we gotta go. We gotta get every single point of this as.
Speaker 2: Wrongly as possible. Yeah right, so yeah, this is we shall see what will happen in the fall. But like I said, like having that that, that's probably going to motivate some people to come out against him, to vote against him. But hey, I don't know, you know, it's twenty twenty four, we don't know anything right now.
Speaker 6: That times I think this stuff is about the Overton window. You'll you know that, like yeah, right that exactly, just like make it go so extreme that the people who used to look extreme, look moderate. You know, there's like because that's just like, what kind of strategy is that. That's the only kind of strategy I can logically think of that would make any of that make any kind of sense.
Speaker 1: And it's much more popular with the Republican voter. Right, so they do better in the primary than they're going to do in the general.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly exactly, because like I said, in twenty twenty two, there were a lot of wild election denialists, you know, full hardcore maggot people, and majority of like especially the people that like these are Trump's picked, they weren't losing, and I remember at the end of the twenty twenty two cycle, they were like what are we what's going on? What do we do? It's like, it's your platform and these absolute clowns that you're running out? What do you mean? What's going on? Like have you seen what these people say out loud?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But I remember there was a point like after twenty twelve where the Republicans were like, we've just got to like, you know, triangulate and become more moderate because this stuff isn't popular. And instead they went in the opposite direction and won the presidential election next time. So yeah, I don't know, like, on the one hand that it's like, wow, they're really digging their own grave. On the other hand, our country there's some wild shit happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's weird because his campaign website, like there's nothing about where like the issues. It's just like volunteer events, get updates, donate meet Mark the first pair, Like I'm just gonna read from his website. This is this is how you get to meet him. Quote meet Mark. I was I grew up as the ninth of ten children in Greensboro. My father was an alcoholic who beat my mother. He died when I was in the fifth grade, and I was terrified. Damn wow. I was like, he's coming out with that, Like it's like whoa, Okay, lot of lot of heavy shit there. But then we go through there's really nothing about like what his you know, like the nothing that reflects just how extreme he is on anything, because he probably can't put like on the issues abortion. It's not gonna be like won't use the word in public, you can't have that. But hey, there's I'm sure there's still time for the consultants to get in. But yeah, this is this is Donald Trump's favorite pick in North Carolina's MLK on steroids, So because I think the other thing about that too is Mark Robinson has said he does not like Martin Luther King.
Speaker 6: Also, so yeah, well I mean again, did you yeah exactly, I mean this guy, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, that's he's on every Yeah. So yeah, that guy was a comedy I guess according to his world.
Speaker 2: Coming over overthrow capitalism the greatest system ever known to man.
Speaker 1: That's right? Who all right? A little bit about the photograph VJ. Day in Times Square, famous World War Two picture in which a sailor and nurse kiss on the street following news that Japan surrendered. It was temporarily like there was a memo that went out for the Department of Veterans Affairs that was basically saying, this doesn't fit the values of the VA anymore. We now know that this picture was taken, like was not consensual, and you know, we want to foster a quote to foster a more trauma informed environment, which is like, okay, where's the catch That actually seems like y'all are doing the right thing there. And then there was a massive backlash, of course from the right. So just to give a little bit more background on the photo. The most widely accepted theory is that it's George Mendonza and Greta zimmer Friedman, and she her account of things is that like, while that looks like it could be confused as like a classy kiss from like you know, a fella gal, yeah, it is in fact a headlock. And like she he just walked up, grabbed her, kissed her. And this was like happening kind of all over the city, which is also why the it's it's gotten this wider sort of reconsiderate reconsideration because there was like on that day sailors just running around like you know, kissing, groping and like assaulting women and even and like young girls and like fighting the cops to fight the cops, like tried to step in, they would like fight the cops. So it's just this like horrifying event that is kind of captured in this photo that people have just sort of romanticized over the years. The VA was like.
Speaker 10: Maybe we want to not not do that, maybe not, And of course the right has freaked out, so Jesse Waters of course had to weigh in, and it's just the wilder shit I mean it seems like it's a clip from mad Men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about a photo that is just with the history of it, because when you talk to the people involved, like the guy just came up and kissed me, Okay, here we go is does.
Speaker 1: That look non consensual to you.
Speaker 2: Julie, she doesn't seem to be fighting it.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, no, it's fine.
Speaker 2: She looks into.
Speaker 3: It, look at her hands.
Speaker 6: It's like limped out. She's like, take me right.
Speaker 1: And she was there when the sisters were returning from war.
Speaker 2: I mean, what did she expect? I mean, he's an America. Could I bet you that's not only.
Speaker 6: She paid him back with oh wow hah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's a footnote in that actual photo. His wife is in the background, right, like girl girlfriend. Yeah, his girlfriend that you're going to is in the background of that photo.
Speaker 1: Like what the is it?
Speaker 2: Okay? George, and I love that the somehow they're they're trying to forensic analysis on a still photo. Truly, uh again, Like because I think all of it leads back to how especially World War two is like treated as this, like like the one time it's okay to fucking do war, Like that's the good one it's the it's the clean war, it's the good war. And I think anything that begins to to pick that apart, of course, they're going to begin to freak out because then that opens up a larger discussion of what is armed conflict and what's its place in our in our world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I also think it's just part of like the inability to reimagine our symbols, to like look at the symbols that we that like that the country is kind of built on and actually like think what's really going on here? What's the what are you know? And so it's just a kind of like it's the same thing that's happening in the last several years with monuments, like what does it really mean to like lift these images up and these you know, frozen moments in time. But we have to we have to do that work, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, truly, and then again we see the resistance to it, which is to completely be like, no, Stonewall Jackson was a good man. He was and he was just he was merely on the side of of you know, business and commerce.
Speaker 7: It has nothing to do with with with with slavery or white supreme Oh gosh, Like why do we have to begin opening this candle worms and a lot of people like I think she was even saying, She's like, my hand was down there because I was being careful about my skirt.
Speaker 1: Trying to kiss my skirt from going up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not because I was swooning that some man just grabbed me on the street and kissed me on the mouth. Yeah, and it was just wild too, how like like for the anniversary that they tried, they made them repose that for that photo like in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, holy nineteen eighty. But anyways, so VA officials like who should maybe be taking things like this very seriously, are now being like that that was an error. We actually didn't mean to send that memo. You weren't supposed to get that, which is especially galling because yeah, the whoops, that was actually we didn't even mean to send. Sorry, I didn't mean to hit.
Speaker 2: Some disregard my last dam disregard.
Speaker 1: Didn't mean to hit sent. But yeah, the VA, you would they would want to be cleaning up their image right now, considering that they're hot off the heels of a scandal in which a whistleblower prompted an investigation into widespread sexual harassment via Secretary Dennis McDonough, the guy who so vehement ly wants to keep the photo, was specifically accused of helping to shield allegations from the public and congressional scrutiny. So yeah, that maybe was why they initially made the right decision, but it's apparently not not going to change how much. They're just going to keep their fucking head down and yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow too, that's the least she could do. These guys just got back from fighting war. I think the real story is they were in the street because they thought they were about to be shipped off for the full scale land invasion of Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they found out that and.
Speaker 2: Then they weren't, so they're like, oh great, yeah, we don't have to anymore. It's just like, yeah, there's just so many elements to it that like, yeah, it's interesting how we've enshrined that image, especially to be sort of like this like this wholesome, like being like and this is the wholesome punctuation after we've dropped Adam bombs on civilians.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but then the minute that that wholesomeness is questioned, it's like the language just becomes rapey. It's like the way that it was just like like a what's the problem?
Speaker 1: Look at her, body, lang, she's asking for she she's loving it.
Speaker 2: Look at us exactly. I mean, that's not all she did? What what?
Speaker 1: Holy shit? For real? Yeah? Just the version of events that Jesse Waters was setting up is that like, so that's the day that Japan surrendered and those guys immediately got home, like Japan surrendered and then they just came home from what they were.
Speaker 3: Acted back Yeah hot damn yeah, and they and they may have fought or whatever, but again it's just like this weird logic too that suddenly that they had to be like, okay, well if she didn't like it, then the next thing to way to justify it is that people who have fought in a war have carte blanche to do whatever they want.
Speaker 1: Body Yeah, sounds like a good policy, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we expect nothing less from Jesse Waters. I mean, like.
Speaker 1: Jesus are truly really yeah, thoroughly fascist. But in this case, like I do feel like they're probably I don't know, like I feel like a lot of Americans are just like don't take that one from me. Come on, that's that's right, said, I've seen that postcard before. Don't make me change my mind about it. Right, Yeah, it was in a dang Coke commercial.
Speaker 2: I feel like a recreation. I mean that thing has been like that brain Yeah, yeah, no, truly, Yeah, just let it go. Yeah, I mean yeah, mclet your point about just the imental the amount of like neural energy it takes to be like, can I rewire my brain to see this in a different way without it being sort of like being the embodiment of the sanctity of World War two? Right, it's very tough for people, and I'm sure like especially for like these like Americans, Like, but my grandpa was like one of those guys like yeah, and he may have been a fucking freak too.
Speaker 1: My grandpa was kissing gals and they liked it. Okay, Yeah, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about music in the hospital. We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back, We're back. Okay.
Speaker 1: Let's see. So there's a story I think we covered it on this show. I know it for some reason, but about how like lighting in hospitals has been reevaluated because for so long it was just putting people off their circadian rhythm, and like sleep is such an important part of the body being able to heal itself. So there's been a whole rethinking of lighting in some hospitals, like very like you know, progressive ones, but like to try and give people as much sleep as possible when they're healing when they're in.
Speaker 2: Hospital, yes, convalescing. But people are.
Speaker 1: Also pointing out like sounds, the soundscape of a hospital is super annoying. Yeah, you know, alarms sounding on various devices, just it sounds like a fucking casino, like a death casino in there. It's just deeps loops like ringing, and if you've ever been in there, like with a loved one, it's fucking super stressful and like oh yeah yeah, Like I can still remember the sound of like an alarm that went off when like during the birth of our first child. That was like terrifying, and like it's still like yeah, So I feel like everybody has those experiences. People who work at hospitals, like they they hear those sounds in the shower, like in their sleep, wake up hearing those sounds.
Speaker 2: It's like the same thing when people get like the phantom like phone vibration in their pocket. Yeah you know what I mean, Like did it be And you're like, no, dude, you're just so used to it that like sometimes you're just getting the phantom ones that your brain's like I think maybe maybe people have.
Speaker 1: That with slack. I'm so glad that we're not like a overly slack bist company.
Speaker 2: Like I think it's slack.
Speaker 1: I think it's like a little like kind of hollow coconut knock is the thing that I've heard.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah. Yeah, Like like if you're playing a drum kit made of pistachio shells or something, the sound, Yeah, pistachio drum kit, pistasio.
Speaker 6: Kit would just make a good shaker.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: If you were a tiny little like cockroach playing a pistachio drum kit maybe, yeah, like then that would be base for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, playing times to plaint Tom Sawyer by rush on there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so the on the presence of beeping alarms in hospitals is actually detrimental not just to the staff but also to the patients who can't properly rest with all the noises. And also it just like blends into this like fog of sound that makes it harder for people who work at the hospital to like recognize and be aware of because there's just so many of them. Apparently, like the alarms are only actually accurate like fifteen percent of the time. Irrelevant, yeah, relevant, fifteen percent of the time. So yeah, the desensitization to beeps created by alarm fatigue led to quote a reported five hundred and sixty six alarm related deaths between two thousand and five and twenty ten, according to the FDA. And I mean, I'm sure that's not counting every single one of them, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's interesting that they're saying, like the solution is to have something more melodic or more musical or more quote percussive with his quote short bursts of high frequency energy like a xylophon's ping. But I guess in a study show that that was just like actually it was a little bit more effective than just a which I guess I get.
Speaker 1: Right, Like all of the current soundscape comes from a time when you had machines that could like you're like, all right, we're gonna put this tiny little thing on it sound maker thing on the machine, and that it can make one sound but now we're at a place where you don't you don't need that, like you can you.
Speaker 2: Could play Tom Sawyer by Rush there really.
Speaker 1: Is that like patient is dying.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's just kind of hard, you know, because I feel like melody is so fun. I think what I think Quincy Jones said, melody is the voice of God or whatever. So to put that in like a medical context, I mean, I don't know, Like I don't know if you want to create a bad connotation or something when suddenly something's like standing alive and you're like, oh, ship, like someone's.
Speaker 6: Crashing, but you have you could you could like here's the thing I would be worried about is that they would turn hospital sounds into like hold music, you know how like hold. Like if you give a company, oh, that's like the so who's gonna make it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: You give a company like the ability to like decide about music, it's gonna be something even more awful. Like you could actually you could actually like commission some musicians to collaborate with like like acousticians and doctors, Yeah, and make something together that would be kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: That would be super interesting. It would create jobs, you could have like musicians like DJs. You know how many out of work DJs they're about to be, Like an entire generation wanted to be DJs, like you. Just every intensive care unit has a DJ. That's just like channeling the information to like create like a sound scape that alerts everybody.
Speaker 2: But then people are turning up too much and yeah, not doing their job.
Speaker 6: But I still don't see like as a musician, I still don't see how you would like, there's no way for it to not be a cacophony because it's so many people, it's so many different kinds of information. It's it's it's like there's the rhythmic ad Like you can't actually do it rhythmically because you would be having so many rhythms on top of each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, start probably having polly.
Speaker 6: But there's definitely a way to make better sounds. Just like I was thinking, like a glockenspiel. You know how nice those are? It was just like people love those.
Speaker 2: You just wait, which.
Speaker 6: You talked about a xylophone. It's kind of like a xylophone, but it's much but it's much more like it gets your attention.
Speaker 1: But it's sler right, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 1: So they have studied this and they said that sounds with percussive timber, many of which contain short bursts of high frequency energy, such as wineglasses clinking or xylophones, are actually much better for getting people's attention, and they stand out from like things that are loud flat tones that lack high frequency components, like a reversing trucks beep.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: That's the example of the thing that doesn't get our attention, the reversing drugs. I think you'd want to fucking like not like lock that one in the thing that's like gonna could just like back over an entire family of humans.
Speaker 2: I feel like that, don't mess with that one. You know, we've all accepted we do know what that is. Yeah, we're like, okay, that's that's something backing up. But I think maybe we have the space to do that. And like, to your point, it sounds like McLean, like there are artists musicians that have been enlisted to like help make things sound better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yoko k Sen in twenty seventeen, an electronic musician who worked with healthcare companies to revamp the soundscapes and hospitals and design new sounds for at home cardiac monitors. Even back in the eighties, people were experimenting with this. One guy came up with an elaborate series of melodies that would signal different patient problems, but doctors and nurses ultimately found it confusing. Like we kind of suspected, right, this is also like just as synthpop was kind of becoming popular, so I'm assuming there was like a lot of just a lot of synth. It's a little synth heavy for me.
Speaker 2: It's like, does it have to be rocket by Herbie Hancock? Like, okay, well, yeah, that that might be a little bit tough. It's like, wait, what does that mean again, Beverly Hills, someone's axel lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that idea was rejected by the International Organization for Standardization, But then they okayed another musical strategy with alarms inspired by the NBC chime the Yoe oh chant from Wizard of Oz And then it was like a disaster. Yeah, they ended up having to come back and be like, so the thing we tried while our head was in the right place, these sounds that we chose were quote basically terrible, basically terrible voice, that terrible is such a great thing to say about the massive decision that you went with. We ultimately went with some sounds that were basically terrible, But I don't know like that we This kind of came up recently when we were talking about how like the problem that car companies are having to solve with you know, electric vehicles being too silent and therefore dangerous for people who don't hear them coming. And so they have been working with internal engineers, but also film scorers and you.
Speaker 2: Know composers, Yeah, composers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been working with composers from the world of film to like try and create unique sound signatures so that it makes sense to me that you would do that to hospitals, right, I mean you.
Speaker 2: Could do it.
Speaker 6: Like thinking about the way a space sounds is just a good thing, Like it is a less high stakes environment. But have you ever been to a restaurant and it's so loud just from people talking that you can't actually hear the person in front of you. It's like because they haven't thought at all about how sound is going to carry in that space, and then they created an experience where you're like, actually, I want to get out, or maybe they're trying to make you get out quickly because they want to turn around, you know, turn over tables. Yeah, So, like there's so much room to think about the way that sound works in our spaces and actually make life more pleasant and save hundreds of lives, like like they're saying in that report.
Speaker 2: Because it might not just be like, well, you know, the thing is, we just got to start using ring tones like we used to back in the day. Like this one can play like My Humps by Black Eyed Peas, and then this one can play I'm a Hustler by Cassidy, remember that one feature in jay Z. Like that's not gonna like versus Tom Sawyer, but like what sonically makes sense rather than like just beeps and boom, you know, like is there another way that doesn't necessarily to be music, But we are thinking of what the sound can be that cuts through, that stands out, that is clinically relevant, I think was the term that they were using.
Speaker 1: One of the best like examples of sound design that I've ever experienced in like a physical setting was when we were in the war, like the birthward for our children, and they had like this little like harpsichord that played basically every time a new human dropped, like every time they're a new baby, they would just like play this thing and you would be like, ah, a new new soul like dropped like a like a Looney Tumbes thing was like like a yeah, yeah, like a really gentle harp sound, and that was like, hey, we just just burst another one.
Speaker 6: Right, that's so wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really nice.
Speaker 6: It's like a it's almost like a community building thing or like a hate you can do it too, or like yeah, you know, it's it's an encouragement.
Speaker 1: We do this all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is one of the most new baby yeah, like yah, don't do that.
Speaker 1: And then on the other end, like if they went to an ICU, every time someone dies, they get the Hanshimmer like whoah from the inception.
Speaker 2: To yeah right, which you could also do harp too, you know, just to show that it's it's all just that in reverse with maybe like some whispering in reverse, or just to take away that sort of connotation that it's still like it's peaceful, you know.
Speaker 1: It is like I have had the thought multiple times that like it's kind of weird that chances are the last place that you are going to be alive is in a hospital where it sounds where it's like bathed in fluorescent lighting and sounds like a casino twenty four hours a day. Like that's kind of a weird way to go out, but feels like it's like kind of the place that most people do experience their last time on Earth. So it would be if you could just like kind of fix the vibes a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, come on, hospital, let's figure it out. Vibes are fucking off in here. The fucked up this cocophonic I hate it.
Speaker 1: We got so many great musicians in this world. I'm just saying, we got one of them on this show. Like let's uh, let's go, let's get.
Speaker 2: Got any pitch. What would you do for instead of a beep like Lee? What do you think? Like, what's what do you think?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, there's so many sounds that seem to me, like like if you think about it, the heartbeat monitor where it's like it beeps in every it's like a regular thing that I don't understand why that's necessary, Like why is it it should be that it beeps when it's irregular? Like here's something to pay attention to, right, So I would just cut out all first thing I would do is just cut out everything that is not giving me that information that that's not giving me relevant information, right, because it's not like the nurses in there listening to it. I'm the one listening to it. That makes no sense to me. So I would just cut a bunch of stuff that was, you know, or somebody tell me why is it necessary? And maybe I'm just not seeing the whole picture. That's possible, but then I think, I mean, I would do things in high registers like trumpets, you know those cut a lot right, nothing in any base tones. But you could also have a thing where you could kind of choose, you know, like if you were a doctor and you're like, these are the sounds that like there's some kind of level of personalization, you could see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in too, you know, like I only know this. I only respond to the sound of a digital cow bell on a eight to oho eight. That's just all of that.
Speaker 6: Just turn it into that or like or like people like I could see a lot of light information like have you ever seen like how fire alarms also flash right for people who are hearing impaired. That's also vary. That we're such visual people, that should also happen, like, okay, there's a code blue, I want a visual flashing bite you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huh, we got we got work to do.
Speaker 1: The heartbeat monitor is pretty iconic, but it's had a good like the you know, it's a it's a sound that has really done a good job. I don't I don't want to just dismiss it out of hand. It's it's been putting in great work for many years. But yeah, yeah, I mean the sound of a flat line, I mean nothing, Yeah, that's just yeah, that's that's a little alarming, you know. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like that's when the like heart rate begins to like like rise rapidly or decline rapidly, then like give that a sound like to mcleat's point, But again, I'm not a cardiologist. I'm not a medical professional. I'm somebody who just like.
Speaker 1: Yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, my license was taken away, but that's because this the state board is fucking ran by a bunch of losers who don't know what they're.
Speaker 1: Doing, run by satan, just like the industry. Well, mclee, what a pleasure having you on the Daily Zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: I got a new album dropping today, y'all, so hey, find me in all the places Mattley music dot com. That's also all my handles m E K L I T Music. Yes, yes, y'all, it's called Eto Blue, the new EP amazing.
Speaker 1: And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying besides your new album?
Speaker 6: I really enjoyed the uh Mister and Missus Smith on Amazon Prime the Donald Blover did it was really good?
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a blast.
Speaker 1: Miles. Where can people find you? What's working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Find me on the app based platforms at Miles of Gray Fine Jack and I on.
Speaker 11: The basketball podcast Find yeah, Josh Gondolman was what a that guy telling you absolutely guy freak a freak free, the nicest guy I've ever met.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then also find me on four twenty Day Fiance talking about ninety day Fiance. Is there a tweet I liked? Yeah, there's a couple. One is from at j towrch ten thirty one. It says reading way above my grade level did not get me as far in life as I had hoped. Yeah, look it levels out at a certain point. And then another one is like, this is really only kind of funny, I think to basketball fans, you know how, like in a broadcast, you'll see the referee come over to the scorge table to like explain what's going on, like, okay, were the plays under review or whatever? Who is this? This is Jason Gallagher at jg A four to one a g h e R posted a picture that with a ref at the scores table but looking down the camera and says, hey, can I do a titos and soda with extra line and I'll just close it out. I appreciate you broke it like that bartender like you at the bar. He's also got his arms on display. He's really like the triceps. You know, y'all know what's up.
Speaker 1: A couple tweets I've been enjoying Andrew oh at the Overdall, who I think has been on this podcast. Andrew Overdal tweeted me to my dogs, I'm gonna feed you the best food I can so you can live such long, healthy and happy lives. Me to me another red baron pizza for you, fuck face. And then Zach Dunn tweeted, Yeah, I like west Wing all right, west Wing on the ground with my friends. It's just cute west Wing. I will west Wing. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O Brian you can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily Zeiguist dot com. Worry post episode codes and our footnote we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles is the song you think people might I.
Speaker 2: Think just ride out on the well. See the song that is out from the album Etial Blue is. I was listening to it, So we'll go off to the titular track from mclet eto Blue. The track is really dope. I love the piano playing like you can you feel the Ethiopian this, you know, just in the scales that are being used and the saxophone and everything. It's just for my lovers of music from across the world. I think this is a really dope track for you to get into and if you're not expand your horizons with the work of mcleat. So this is etial Blue from mcleat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we will link off to that in the footnote. The Daily Zeitgeist does a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this week. Back this weekend with you know, some highlights from this week's shows, and then back on Monday to tell you what is trending and we will have an expert on on Tuesday. Have a great weekend, everybody. We'll talk to you abut then bye.
Speaker 2: Hey, And if you're an Austin hit us up.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, we'll be in Austin for Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for Sunday. We'll hey, you're hearing this. We're in Austin on Sunday and a little bit Monday. Where should I get a sandwich? Let me know, Austin' hiking? All right, we'll talk to you that Bye bye,