Speaker 1: Smell us now, Ladie.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time, that's noon for our friends in Platte, South Dakota, on Thursday, April twenty fourth, and we're live from Meet Eater HQ and Bozeman. I'm your host, Spencer, joined today by Seth and Chili. On today's show, we'll interview Brian Schroeder about North America's oldest weapon kit that was just discovered in Texas. Then we've got a hot tip off about recycled waiters and fleshing furs, followed by one minute fishing with Trout Unlimited in Connecticut. After that, we'll play Meat Eater's Price Is Right, and finally we'll interview Amanda fair baron Kimmerie about one of the coolest tattoos I've ever seen. First, Seth, I want to talk to you about this very successful weekend of hunting. Had how many turkeys died? Well, between my wife and I four died four turkeys. You boys are going to be eating good. You and your wife can be eating good on white meat for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we were somewhere in America hunting and killed some turkeys, and then had some time to kill, did some exploring, and when did a little Spencer Newhart rock counting.
Speaker 2: Seth, You're getting right to the part that I want to talk to you. Yeah, I thought I was going to have to listen to turkey hunting storm.
Speaker 1: Well, I can tell you them.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the rocky, Yeah, let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I found a big rock that had a little bit of this amonite sticking out of it, and time I didn't know what was in there. I could just tell that there was something going on. So I threw that rock against another rock a little too hard.
Speaker 2: Yep, you threw the soft rock against the harder rock, Yes.
Speaker 1: And broke it open. And this is what I found inside.
Speaker 2: Seth in his hand has a softball size secretter. This is an amonite. Ammonite had one of the most successful runs in the history of the planet. They were around, They showed up in the fossil record like four hundred and fifty million years ago, and then they disappeared around sixty six million years ago for the same event that killed the dinosaurs. Now, in between that time, they survived all kinds of crazy stuff. There were other extinction events that happened where like ninety eight percent of the life on Earth disappeared and they survived that.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ammonites made it through. Around two hundred million years ago, they started to struggle a little bit and the event that killed the dinosaurs is also what killed them. And this amonite is wonderful. They at one point, or at probably multiple points, were the most populous animal honor. There was more of them than anything else living in our oceans. And you should watch the documentary Prehistoric Planet if you've seen in the regular documentary called like Planet Earth, all right, Yeah, there's a Prehistoric Planet one they do, and there's like a whole little section on ammonites. It's a ton of fun in this one. Seth has a beautiful knacker on it. That's what that little sheen what you see on a seashell that you pick up in the ocean. Show that thing to the camera a little more, spinning around a wonderful ammonite. Now, there's some of those that are the sides of your fingernail all the way up to ones that are nine foot wide. And this is a big one, Seth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have another rock that I had found with a couple small ones just kind of sticking out, like poking out. But yeah, that's the biggest one I've ever found. And another thing I find with this, what's the shine called again, knacker Knacker? I believe it's a baculite. Yes, yeah, yeah, so we find those with that shine on there too.
Speaker 2: A similar yeah, a similar type of animal.
Speaker 1: Do you know what would have made them so successful?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm not sure. I think they obviously if we think about the things that are successful now, like a kaya or a cockroach, they're able to occupy a ton of different niches, right like if one food source or one type of habitat disappeared, they just keep on going with something else. I'm assuming it's something similar with made them so successful. That's a special fossil set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you.
Speaker 2: It's one of the better ones in my collection. And where's your collection live?
Speaker 1: It lives in my living room. Kelsey and I made my wife, Kelsey and I made these like shelves we called the Morris Museum. There's just all the cool stuff we found over the years.
Speaker 2: And it looked like that thing was found inside of a cannon Ball. There's a whole river in North Dakota called the cannon Ball River and and basically that's like mud that would kind of roll in the waves, and sometimes I would pick up fossils like this. So that's probably what happened there, Yeah, is that this thing died, got rolled up in some mud and then just got brown blown around on a windy shoreline for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's I don't know, it's cool. Like you, I've seen videos of people breaking those open and like you never know what's going to be inside. Yeah, but yeah, this one I got lucky with this one.
Speaker 2: What a weekend, that giant fossil in four turkeys?
Speaker 1: Four turkeys. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, at the beginning to show there, I shouted out Platts, South Dakota, Chile, You fellow South Dakota. Nicest people I ever met on Earth are from Platts, South Dakota.
Speaker 1: Oh they're great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they kind of have a bigger footprint than I I thought. I went fishing up in Alaska in a town called Saint Petersburg, and the guy who took us out his name was Oly, but his parents originated from Platte, South Dakota. Moved to Saint Petersburg. He now lives there with his family, but he goes back every single year. And then I got people that I grew up with that live over there.
Speaker 1: Great bird hunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, what goes on in plat everything right on the Missouri River.
Speaker 1: Yp Oh, So they got fishing, deer hunting, dirk hunting.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like a paradise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we love you, Platt. Me and Chiley shout out Platt. All right, let's move on with the show. Joining us on the line first is Brian Schroeder, the director of the Center of Big Bend Studies. He's here to talk about what maybe North America's oldest intact weapons system, which was just discovered in West Texas. Brian, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: First thing, Brian set the scene for us by describing Bend Big Bend National Park.
Speaker 5: Okay, so these are found just outside of the park a little bit, and they're right on the edge of a big cliff and it's it's called the Alamedo Creek Drainage. And the Alamado Creek Drainage has was had live water and so you're we're you know, we're looking at the large of a big desert environment at the base of a large creek and a dried up stream.
Speaker 2: So besides the weapon kit that we'll get to in a little bit, what other notable finds have archaeologists had in this area?
Speaker 5: So the regions had a lot of stuff found throughout the years. I mean, that's kind of what lured me there. There's just a mammoth tusk that's rattling around in the news that we just our center just excavated that. But for the most part, it's stuff like this, just lots of weapon kits that just did not weapon kits, but weapons in particular. So it just preserves perishable stuff really really well because it's so hot and.
Speaker 2: Dry, and so that's that's the key for that area. Why like ancient things are so well preserved in West Texas.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, you get really good preservation where there's where you it's either hot or dry or it's protected. It's the same thing. You know, microorganims needed some stuff to live and when you've when you remove water from that equation, you're getting really good in preservation. So yeah, that's how that's how they preserve.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us about the day of discovery. Describe the cave and why your team was in that spot.
Speaker 5: So this is we're actually there because the cave has been collected for years by amateur groups, and we were there actually because we didn't think we would find anything. We were there because we thought that it was really impacted. And what we wanted to do is we wanted to open up a cave and date the sediments so we could see how much how much time was left we get to understand and the sediments and the pesty archaeology record wouldn't get in our way. And so it's really collapsed. It's been very dug and so it's it's it's not this Hollywood cave that you walk into. It's been pretty impacted.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so tell us about like when the weapons were discovered. How close to each other were they did you know what they were? Was everyone stoked and given high fives out?
Speaker 5: Oh so, yeah. So we actually dug in a portion of the cave that was really collapsed, and we thought that that would be the best example to find all of the sediments we were looking for. And some of the crew thought we were crazy because it was really tucked up back underneath the rock, and we started excavating under that and we ended up finding four of them in twenty twenty. That was the first year that we found them, and one of them we could tell that it was a piece of a dart, but the other ones really didn't make any sense. And so we were really excited about the dart obviously, but we did not we did not know what the other pieces in part were, and then we found a piece of it every year after that as we expanded out the excavation, so we've literally found pieces in parts since twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us about what this weapon kid fully consists of besides the dark.
Speaker 5: So it's got it's it's really interesting because it's got different components and so it shows us how modular the hunting kits were. And so we have h We have at least four stone tipped for shafts that would have won the end of the at laddl system. We have the at laddle itself that's missing the spurs, so the spur actually snapped off of it and then they discarded it back there. With this, we have footwears, we have we have sandals that they left with there. We have some kind of antler piece that's clearly for like retooling the stone that goes on there. And then we have a what we call the people call rabbit sticks, but the discipline starting to call plate straight flying boomerangs, so a hunting boomerang. And then it's we have wood tipped darts that probably were a poison delivery device, but that's conjecture right now where you've got to do the science on that. But that's where we think they are. So we have all these modular pieces. Oh and then we have the we have the of the darts themselves. So the only thing we're missing out of the kit is the actual sleeve that the foe shafts would have fit into. So we have almost the complete hunting kit at a moment in time almost seven thousand years ago.
Speaker 2: And you can see a photo of this hunting kit right now on the med Eater podcast YouTube channel. What do we know about the person who left these behind? Did they live there? Were they just passing through? What do you guys think?
Speaker 5: So that's the part we're trying to understand right now. Because we have there's a small little hearth back there, and there's four copper lights back there, So there's four pieces of essentially human poop, and it seems like somebody just went back there, went through their weapon kit. They cut the fletching off of the back of the knox, so they salvaged their knox. They were retooling their darts, and then they left the pieces of the four shafts that you know, they couldn't service because all the four shafts are split. So it seems like one person passing through. But it seems like the intent was to come back because there's a there's a prong horned hide that's been folded like they were cutting pieces off of it and they were maybe like maybe servicing some something, you know, clothing, I don't know, but then they folded it up and they put it on a rock, and it seems like they meant to get back to that and they never. They just never got back to there. So my guess would be passing through and probably one, maybe two people, not many. It's a really really small little crook in the cave, Like it's not like, yeah, one person laying back there would be crowded.
Speaker 1: Brian Seth here got a question for you. Are you guys done with the excavation or could there be more stuff in there that you guys haven't found yet.
Speaker 5: No, so we're actually at the beginning. We're I mean, we were not in the beginning. We've been digging for twenty twenty. But now that we've understand this period, this time period better back there, We're we're not to the time period we want to want to get to. So we want to get to the early record. We really want to look at the paleo record, and that's what we're trying to get to. But we keep finding all this stuff. So we're we're we're five years into a collaborative research with the University of Kansas. The University of Kansas actually sponsors it, and we're going to keep going for the foreseeable future. So we're kind of kind of midway through.
Speaker 2: I would suppose, Brian, do we know what was in the fossilized crap?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: No, that's one of the things we need to look at. They it's definitely fiver, but there's there's kind of a startling amount of bone in it, and uh, that's one of the things we need to do. We just dated them and we really didn't think they'd be the same age as the deposit, but they're the exact same age as the hunting care. Wow, so all that's the exact same age. So that's that's gonna be amazing because that will give us direct I mean, that'll tell us exactly what you know, at least they were doing for a moment in time back there.
Speaker 2: And what do you think the weapons were used to hunt?
Speaker 5: So I think there that's the coolest thing is I think they're hunting different things, right, So there's a stone tipped point that goes on the into the dart. That's for one type of gang, probably medium game. I mean, it's pretty sexy to say that. You know, that toolkit maybe killed the prong horn that was in there, but that I definitely don't know. That's just you know, that's me editorializing it. And then the darts, the poison if they are poisoned darts, the wood tips those are for something else entirely. And then there's a straight flying boomerang boomerang, which is we think it's for small game, but the faculty that I work with do a lot of experimental studies and they've they've played around with those and they think they could be pretty deadly for other stuff. So, uh, it's definitely a medium mammal sized toolkit and maybe small mammals. Definitely pronghorn. We don't know if there was bison out in West Texas. That's one of the open questions. So I mean certainly medium game and small game.
Speaker 2: You said that the idea that they are darts is sort of a hypothesis right now, What makes you think that they are poisoned darts and what kind of poison would they have been using.
Speaker 5: So that's one of the things that my colleagues at the Center want to really look at. They're the ones that have really been like showing me more of the sighting that a lot of indigenous groups knew how to hunt with poison, and they knew how to make poison compounds and exactly what it would be I don't I don't know, But we just actually got the a lab equipment to start testing that. So we're actually going to start doing that and making They're going to start making different poison compounds and testing it against that with residue and seeing if we can figure out what they're doing. But the wood, the wood part of that I think is what we think there's clearly coded in some kind of resin, and they've been sort of looking for this parallel and the archaeological record that if there's these wooden tips, that would be a great way to deliver poison into animals and love to hold. This cave has at least three of them, so we can start testing that hypothesis.
Speaker 2: And what kind of wood are those tools made of.
Speaker 5: That's so the only thing we've dispeciated as far as wood goes right now is the actual at laddle itself, and that is it's an acacia. It's probably local Mesquite. I mean, it's absolutely jaw dropping. I'll never find another at lettle in my life. And it's a really really old at laddle. But it's as far as things that they can make, it's probably a fifteen minute job for them. It's a pretty simple at laddle and it's it's just a split. It's just split, so that one we know is mesquite.
Speaker 2: And the radiocarbon dating, the radiocarbon dating process for wood is that the exact same as it is for rock.
Speaker 5: So radiocarbon dating it works on the organic the rock we date differently rock you can date residues off it if there's organic compounds, but you can only date organic compounds. So that's what makes the weapon kits so cool is that it's it's a direct decision and those people killed those trees to make that weapons and so you're actually they are the ones that actually killed the organic organic materials to make that kit. So we're dating a direct human decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was declared by you guys. I think that this is the oldest intact weapons system in North America. What Discovery now has the silver medal. We talked a lot.
Speaker 5: About this, so again my colleagues at the Center, we were talking about this, and there's certainly older weapons like individual weapons, and there's probably some stuff in the Yukon that's as it's probably older. But we all can think that the second oldest complete system is probably from White Dog Cave. You get the full aut Lattle system that's too twenty five hundred years somewhere in there. So I mean we're getting a significant time difference, and this weapon kit is completely different than the one in uh White Dog. So that's really interesting to see how that that technology evolved over four thousand years.
Speaker 2: So what comes next for this project?
Speaker 1: We're gonna keep going.
Speaker 5: I mean, the goal of the project is I mean the seventh you know, the sixty five hundred year old weapon kit is really really cool. But what we really want to do is know if there's earlier deposits in the cave and if the cave was used by earlier folks and we just haven't gotten there in the excavation. So next is continuing to go down and see if we get earlier deposits and we have a you know, a paleo record there and we can get the initial entry of humans into North America.
Speaker 1: So that's next. Keep digging.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for joining us, Brian. Congrats on the exciting fine and good luck with the research to come.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks for having me have a good one. Thanks, thanks, Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we've got to We've got a real Spencer episode so far, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of rock, yeah, top Yeah, but you're stoked about this.
Speaker 2: We'll see if the listener stick around with us or not. All right, Our next segment is hot tip off, Jo, what's that face? That's salty? That's salty?
Speaker 1: God, Phil.
Speaker 2: That song was so good. Even got Phil back there, Bob, and he composed it. Phil has been trying to line up karaoke date in the next few weeks.
Speaker 7: You know what, I got to get the credit to another man in this room, and that would be Chilly. He's the one who brought it back back up to my attention, and I'm glad he did. We're trying to make it happen. So you know, if there's anyone at the company watching, hit up that group slack, let me know what date?
Speaker 2: What's the groups that called?
Speaker 1: It's just called I'm just trying to bring the people together.
Speaker 2: You know what, do you just sing these tough times?
Speaker 1: What am I gonna sing? Yeah? Oh, there's so many songs out there. Yeah, go with Creed.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: See the problem I run into at karaoke nowadays is I'll try to make this quick. Is you get either really really old people or you get really really young people.
Speaker 2: So either gonna try and bridge that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna offend some old people, or you're gonna sing a song that young people don't know.
Speaker 1: Which is it's a fickle game you gotta play.
Speaker 2: Okay, give us an example, though, a boy you think you might sing, oh.
Speaker 3: Man, you know you can't go wrong with like some Tyler childers. My actually go to song is Neon Moon by Brooks and Dunn. Because I can do this thing where I can kind of sound I can do like make you know, Ronnie Dun's voice a little different. I can kind of do that, And so the old people in the crowd they can appreciate. The young kids just have no clue what's going on.
Speaker 2: So the last time we went out for karaoke after Kickball, I.
Speaker 7: Sang the I was gonna say, I think I've heard Spencer sing that one good choice choice.
Speaker 2: All right. Hot tip Off is where two listeners go head to head with competing pieces of advice, and after we hear each tip, we'll declare which one is hotter. If you have a hot tip, take a one minute video on your phone and email it to radio at the meat Eater dot com with the subject line hot tip Off. This week it's Adam Smith versus Brian Nistley, and they're competing to win a three year on ex Elite membership in a Moultrie Edge two cellcam. All right, let's hear this week's hot tips.
Speaker 1: Adam Smith.
Speaker 9: Hey there, Adam Smith, coming at you with a hot fishing tip that is budget friendly. I love to wadefish. But I don't normally use waiters or need waiters, but I do like the storage they provide. And so I was looking for a chest rig, a weatherproof, water resistant chest rig to take waiting. And as I was doing that, I remember that I had an old, messed up pair of waiters that was leakan. So instead of taking hundreds or dozens of dollars to spend a new piece of gear, I took some scissors, took that old pair of waiters and just cut them in half right at the belly. Now the top half of that waiters serves as a chest rig. I got water resistant storage here for falling wallet keys. And between this and my fishing vest, everything is right on me, easy access. And if I take a dip in the water or the weather turns real rainy, I know I can still keep my essentials dry. So I say able to do that without buying a new piece of gear. So let me know what you think budget friendly fish and tip.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Bryan Nisily's Brian Nisley, Northwestern Pennsylvania. We got a hot tip for you guys that are questioning coons or other super greasy animals.
Speaker 11: Always like chanlenge keeping your beam clean. Let's you start pushing the fat off off the skirt, get your beam all greased up, use paper towels or something to wipe it. But uh, paper towels are getting expensive. First cheap and I learned this from the furbire years ago. Get yourself some sawdust. I work at saw mills. I get it for free.
Speaker 12: But get a sawmills or woodworking shops anywhere that sell saudust for animal bedding or whatever. Throw a handful of sauducet on there, wipe it around, soaks up that grease and wipe bread off.
Speaker 11: You're good to go or three hands too. Super cheap and effective.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And again they are competing for a three year on ex elite membership in a Moultrie Edge two cell cam. Now Brian is kind of going for Seth's heart there. He's from Pennsylvania wearing a bear grease hat talking about fleshing. What do you ever there? Reckon raccoons? Now, I'm gonna have to rely on you here, Seth. Is that a hot tip about putting sawdust down?
Speaker 1: That is a hot tip. It's a hot tip that I've been doing for years. Oh, okay, decades Actually, where'd you learn it? In Pennsylvania when I was fleshing coons? Yeah, we're a fur buyer.
Speaker 2: Of of the percentage of folks who are out there fleshing coons, what percentage do you think know about that hot tip? Is it common knowledge?
Speaker 1: I would say it's fairly common okay, yeah, but I could be wrong. I just the guys I ran around with.
Speaker 2: Their experience, Yeah, they were legit.
Speaker 1: But you know there might be some folks starting out that don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Great, you're an aspiring trapper, right, did you know about the sawdust trick?
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's I I don't know a whole lot about fleshing. I've only done it a number of times. Seth has been a part of that process pretty heavily. But now for so for me, that is a hot tip.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was more interested in his his setup that he he had going on. Yeah, everything Beam was pretty sweet there.
Speaker 2: Now, Phill, are you doing a poll of our audience?
Speaker 1: I am doing. I've got a live poll in the chat right now.
Speaker 2: Bill's gonna let that go.
Speaker 1: I will kind of tight so let heard.
Speaker 3: I will say with the first hot tip smith yep, I was you know, I love the idea. I was looking for it to be a little shorter, you know, to pique my interest. You know, it was me it'd be probably just that, just a tube top, just a tube top.
Speaker 2: I like that. You'll get to you can really appreciate these hot tips if you're watching this on our YouTube channel, and again we have Adam Smith with the recycled waiters versus Brian and doing the fur trapping. A while our audience continues to vote on this, I want to tell you folks that we need more hot tips. Corey Calkins, he's the one who manages our inbox there, and he said, we're running low on really good ones. So please take that one minute video and email it to radio at the meadeater dot com with the subject line hot tip off. You gonna compete for some really good prizes if your video gets chosen this week. It's that three year on ex leap membership in a Moultrie Edge two cell can.
Speaker 7: And really quick get some questions into the chat for the crew for our listener feedback section two.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder, all right, Chile, if you were voting, you're gonna pick the recycled waiters of the fur trapping. We're gonna let the audience decide, but maybe we can sway their opinion.
Speaker 3: Brother, I would say, where I'm at in my life, I would say the hot the trapping, hot tip. Audust like, that's probably gonna be more applicable to me.
Speaker 1: Right now, Okay, Seth, I appreciate a frugal man, but I'm gonna go with the fur trapping as well. The hot the Saldus hot tip. He Brian's from Pennsylvania. Yeah, he's flushing raccoons, good facial air. All this is very familiar territory, territory to me. I'm going with Brian.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Adam Smith. I like the idea of recycling those waiters, and that looked like a pretty handy little thing to have on your chest. People would talk to you about it if they saw you on the river, I think too.
Speaker 7: All right, I'm gonna go ahead and wrap up this poll right now with fifty three percent. Oh no, at the last second, fifty two now, Okay, the winner is Brian withst well done.
Speaker 13: Brian.
Speaker 2: Cory Calkins is going to reach out to you about how to claim your prizes and for everyone else listening, please send us some more hot tips. We want to keep doing this segment. We want to get educated and educate our audience with your hot tips. All right, let's take a break for some listener feedback. Phil, what's the chat have to say?
Speaker 1: That's a great question.
Speaker 7: Well, first, I just wanted to say congrats to Mogor, our guy Mogor in the chat. He just passed the toughest exam of his life and we're officially kicking off the weekend for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, congratulations, he's in the chat every week. We appreciate you sticking around with a smoke goer and hanging out from Hungry. I'd like to know what that exam is. Maybe let us know in the chant.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, please do, because I think he mentioned it a couple weeks ago as well, and I was curious.
Speaker 1: So yeah, let us know Mogor.
Speaker 7: This is kind of a big general question, but it's still that's still that turkey season. So if you guys have any hot tips, speaking of for spicy nachos, he says, Hey, all, first time turkey hunt here. I was wondering if I could get some late season turkey hunting tips in Canada. Here, turkey's open ten days ago and he has had no luck.
Speaker 1: I got one, thank you.
Speaker 4: Go for it.
Speaker 1: So you're hunting late season turkeys, you have to be in the woods from that ten o'clock to two o'clock hour if your state allows it. Late season hens, once they're done doing their thing getting bread in the morning, they will go sit on their nests and those toms will become solo and looking for love. It's a great time to kill late season turkey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and turkey hunters who were smart than me, we'll talk about how you should change your decoy set up throughout the season, Like what were you using this weekend seth in Montana? Here, we'd probably be considered what like early season here, middle of the season or early season? What are you running for decoys?
Speaker 1: I typically don't run decoys unless I have to. I just that's just because I just like, well, one thing, I don't love the way I hunt a lot of running and gunning. I just don't love carrying decoys. And I don't know, I just like to to play the game without decoys. I like to set up in spots where the turkey basically has to be in shooting range for it to see where the calling's coming from. M So that's how I liked Hunt. I will use decoys occasionally if I'm set up like in a big open area or whatever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think like sort of it's very general rule of thumb. But usually your turkey decoys setups get smaller as the season goes on. So an early season, when birds are still really flocked up, ye, you may have if you have the ability to do it, four decoys out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you're really getting late in the season spicy nachos, it might be time to pair that down to just a single hend or a hand in a strutter. What else you got?
Speaker 1: Phil Andreas is asking Chile what was your mos when you were serving Andreas?
Speaker 3: I was in six fifty one, which is what calm M data networks specialist. But yeah, I did a bunch of stuff with communications equipment, things of that nature.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: All right on, Ben says, Spencer, did you hear that Dakota Angler brought back the Apollo Meno rap as an exclusive? You had said in the last radio live you were in that you caught your personal best Pike on it, but they were discontinued.
Speaker 2: I had a few people reach out to me and email me that that Dakota Angler is bringing back their Apolo Mino wrap. Rapaula has so many offerings and this was like a very specific one at a very specific time in place, and I'm thrilled to hear that Dakota Angler has that sort of swing to get the Mintal Wrap back on their shelves. That's a great part of the country to be offering that crank bait. So good on you, Dakota Angler, and thanks for the heads up and everyone else who reached out.
Speaker 1: I caught my PV Pike on an x rap.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, what kind of x rap because I feel like there's a lot there's like X wrap this x rap that. Yeah, sometimes they'll have it was like a little bucktail on the last.
Speaker 1: A little bucktail it was. It was when the x rap first came out. So yeah, whatever the og x rap was. Yeah, I bought a handful of them for catching bass and Maine when I was living back East.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of the x raps too, they would have like the hollow body look, they'd like see through them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one you can see through is blue yep. I had bucktail on it, but yeah, that was caught my PV pike in Montana.
Speaker 2: I miss being really tuned into like what crank baits are are hot right now? And like what's the new color that Rapaula came out with this year.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't do a whole lot of crank bait fishing. I'm more like jigging plastic type guy for Walleye And yeah, don't do a whole lot of bass in here. But I love it. It's fun. I just wish there was more opportunities, which there are some good ones, but uh yeah, I don't exactly keep up with the the those style of baits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it used to be really tuned in and it was. It was totally one hundred percent something that caught more fishermen than fish. Yeah, but I still like being very familiar with the library of crank baits that that different brands were offering.
Speaker 7: We'll do one more here, well, actually people do a light one and then a real one. What do the crew members used to maintain their facial hair? I hate an itchy beard, but don't enjoy the twelve year old boy look with a bald face.
Speaker 2: I I as someone who's like gone back and forth between mustache and beard in the last you know, few years.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: The itchy stage to me is like a very specific time. I don't know, I don't remember when that is, but it's like between weeks, I don't know, two and four or something like that, and then it's not itchy anymore.
Speaker 6: Is that what you like?
Speaker 2: Your familiarity with it, Chili?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I when I had a big, big beard, Yeah, Like it was like that two to four weeks, you know, maybe a quarter of an inch long, and it got super itchy, and then all of a sudden, it justs.
Speaker 2: Not itchy anymore. You never think about it now. As far as maintenance, I don't do anything. It gets the same shampoo that my hair gets.
Speaker 3: Tree tree sap every morning, especially freshly found in the woods.
Speaker 1: Jili is a tail main guy. Yeah. The hair is Maine and tail maiden.
Speaker 2: Tail maiden tail.
Speaker 1: Is it like a palmade or no, it's it's a shampoo conditioner made for horses.
Speaker 2: Now you're you're messing with its hot tip.
Speaker 1: You don't care for those.
Speaker 2: You have a horse shampoo conditioner in your shower right now.
Speaker 1: Maine and tail.
Speaker 2: Okay, you send me a picture.
Speaker 1: I will send you a picture.
Speaker 2: I'd like your hair a lot more chili. Now knowing that, who told you about this idea?
Speaker 3: No, I see, well, originally it came from the movie Blades Glory. Oh, and he goes like, you help yourself to the maintail all you want, but don't even think about touching the verdic cola.
Speaker 1: So and then like it kind of took off. And then for me, uh, I mean, as you can tell.
Speaker 2: Proof is in the pudding, right, good, good head of lettuce chili.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh huh, it's just yeah shimmers. Okay.
Speaker 2: So I like it Maine entail.
Speaker 1: I do nothing for the stash, and I like to wash the hair, like maybe once a week. We should tell keep it greasy.
Speaker 2: That that was the fun one. Phil. Let's hear what this dark twisted one is.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, it's not.
Speaker 7: I just meant I said real, not not like, man, we're gonna get real. I just meant, like, that's a real question.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: That's the fastest time you have filled a turkey tag? You pass up the bird that comes out first light on the first day, said he lives in a single bird bag limit area.
Speaker 1: That's will m I got a story that could tie a handful of things together. We talked about please do it. Last Saturday, we my wife and I killed some turkeys in the morning and then we went to a different spot and this was probably about eleven thirty ish and got to a ridge, made a call. Turkey gobbled like two hundred probably two fifty ish away, and within I don't know, a couple of minutes, that thing was dead. It just came running.
Speaker 2: That's efficient, yep.
Speaker 1: And it was that. It was that you know, that mid or that late morning hour which hens went to sit and he was lonely.
Speaker 2: Did it ever cross your mind to pass on that bird?
Speaker 1: So you can well my wife, My wife was shooting on that one. I was just calling and I guarantee it didn't pass her mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never crossed my mind cross a legal turkey. The quickest I ever killed. It was my first archery bird. It was it was opening morning. I was set up way too you close to the roost what would be considered too close, but it worked out anyway. Bird came down right off the roost, walked into my decoys and I shot him dead. As far as passing on a bird at first light of the day.
Speaker 1: Nah, no, thanks, Yeah, I don't pass on turkeys unless you jakes. I'm to the point around she jakes anymore, but all right.
Speaker 2: Moving on. Our next segment is One Minute Fishing.
Speaker 3: Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 14: We'll do you Punk, go ahead, make my cast.
Speaker 2: One Minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch a fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation, do a conservation group, and for the whole month of April, our friends at Trod Unlimited are joining us for One Minute Fishing this week. Our angler is Jesse Vidala, the Eastern Region manager at TU. Today he's on a tributary of the Housatonic River in Connecticut and fishing for a donation to Trout Unlimited. Jesse, welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Hey guys, how you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to give you the most chaotic and worst audio possible, but I am quite literally next to a racetrack at the moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, someone's going to figure out very easily where Jesse is today. Jesse, we asked Trout Unlimited to highlight some important water sheds across the country for this segment. So first thing tell us about the wild trout streams of New England and their greatest threats totally.
Speaker 13: So it does tie into where I'm standing right now.
Speaker 4: This is the salmon Kill Creek, which is right across from the Lime Rock Speedway. It's a wild trout tributary that had stunted habitat and.
Speaker 13: Tough deals with erosion.
Speaker 4: So what we're doing largely at TU across the Northeast is for wild trout, specifically the brook trout.
Speaker 13: We're working on improving connectivity, removing culverts and barriers.
Speaker 4: Have a beautiful open bridge here that we're checking in on and that's where I'll be fishing right below. But yeah, we're doing a lot for connectivity and improving habitat the wild trout.
Speaker 2: So what are some other things that TU has done to help fisheries of the northeast.
Speaker 4: T has been a grassroots organization that largely focuses on educating the next generation. And today I've got about twenty five students out here that are planting trees and a riperran buffer.
Speaker 13: This is an annual program where kids get out and learn more.
Speaker 4: That's the bread and butter of TU is teaching the next generation about fly fishing and how important healthy cold rivers are. So that's what we do, and it's evident in my work today, even though I'm quite literally catching the porch race of team moving behind me.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about the fishing. What are you targeting today and how are you doing it?
Speaker 13: Totally so real quick.
Speaker 4: Obviously, as a catskill dry fly angler, I'm always paying attention to the hatches. This time of the year, we're starting to see Hendrickson's male and female. So I'm fishing in a merger that has both a dark Hendrickson and light Hendrickson kind.
Speaker 13: Of cothorax color.
Speaker 4: Super optimistic to try and catch fish on drys on a bluebird daylight today. So if it doesn't happen, I'm going to shoot some of the bigger holes below for the bigger brown trout. Usually fishing something like a small but wiggly black marramouse streamer. Uh, something cool to get their attention when they're hanging out low.
Speaker 2: Okay, And when we talked to you before the show, you were very concerned about spooking trout.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's going to be an issue when you get to the water.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, Actually I think the cars might smook him more than me.
Speaker 13: But I'm walking over the right now. We're going to see how this goes.
Speaker 2: Okay, could even get worse.
Speaker 13: You feel like if you don't want a lot flat fishing, they're getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're one minute of fishing will start as soon as you make that first cast.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is walking through the lanes of the racetrack right now.
Speaker 1: Headed to the water, cars zipping by, and we've.
Speaker 2: Now lost him.
Speaker 13: Chaotic fishing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jesse, are you are you set up and ready to make your cast?
Speaker 13: Man? I'm walking into the stream side right now.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now, the the green, the green on the trees in the background makes me think of morel mushrooms. Have the kids planning? All those trees come across any mushroom patches? Yet?
Speaker 13: Good question. We're still a few more.
Speaker 4: I would say a week, maybe two weeks that most pretty well closely aligned to Turkey season. We see morels up this way. A lot of rams still out and about on the streams.
Speaker 13: That's a big one.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, we've been able to find some, so I think pretty soon we'll start seeing morel's. I'm gonna set you all off right where I had you before, and uh, I'll hope for the best.
Speaker 2: Okay. Uh, Jesse is about to make his first cast. The timer will start when he makes that first cast. The video and audio we're getting a little choppy and he's got to fly in the water.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 2: Seth would you be on that racetrack?
Speaker 13: There are actually light Hendricksons near the water and.
Speaker 2: Some small Okay, you've got forty five seconds later.
Speaker 1: Uh, probably more like could be on the river than the racetrack.
Speaker 2: Jesse is feeling confident. He's saying that he's fly is matching what he's seeing.
Speaker 1: In the water.
Speaker 2: Thirty seconds to go.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, that's that.
Speaker 2: Let let's get eat.
Speaker 1: We're going in.
Speaker 13: There's a natural right next to it. Hell, it's not.
Speaker 1: Looking good, folks.
Speaker 2: You got fifteen seconds, Jesse.
Speaker 13: I do like that.
Speaker 1: He's providing his own commentary.
Speaker 13: Another clean one on street.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got ten seconds.
Speaker 13: Street one more. Let's do it all the way all right?
Speaker 2: Didn't happen today for Jesse.
Speaker 13: Them?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 13: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks for joining us, Jesse. Good luck with the rest of the day of fishing.
Speaker 1: Thanks ma'am, Thanks so much.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Take care.
Speaker 2: One minute. Always bring some chaos to the show, but we'd like it. All right, here's some more chaos. Our next segment is the Price is Right.
Speaker 8: Oh here it comes from Mosman, Montana Media Radio's most exciting ten minutes.
Speaker 1: It's the Price is Right.
Speaker 8: Yeah Morris, come on now, mister Chilliam, come on down your hat. Two contestants on media Radios. The Price is Right Now, here's your host, Spencer New.
Speaker 2: Thank you Phil. Now, this game is really simple. Phil is going to tell you about a product from the meat Eater universe, and you need to guess its price. The player with the closest answer without going over will be declared the winner. If both players go over, then you'll both be told to try again, and the chat should play along as well, because whoever has the closest answer will get a shout out from Phil. All right, there are three products on today's show. Phil tell us about the first item up forbid.
Speaker 7: Clicking a lot of buttons. Here, Spencer, just give me one sec. Gotta turn off this banner. It's kind of in the way.
Speaker 1: I just want everyone to know that that what Phil just did was live, that wasn't like a drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he brings all the energy.
Speaker 7: Well, let's start today's midding a three piece walleye dinner from Culvers. For one month every year during Lent, Culvers adds a deep fried walleye to their menu. Each filet, which comes from Crystal Clear Canadian Waters, is ham battered and cook to order. Their Northwoods Walleye three piece dinner comes with tartar sauce, a warm roll, a soda, and two sides. It'll get to choose from a garden salad, crinkle cut fries, coleslaw, cheese, curds, chili or pretzel bites.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to save room for custard after eating those one and a half walleyes. The flavor of the day today is chocolate caramel twist at the on Alaska, Wisconsin location, which is where I source the price for this dinner. That's a three piece walleye dinner from Calvers, two sides, a soda, a warm roll and tartar sauce. And there are some big old filets. Seth, how do you think? How big do you think them walleyes were? Yes, twenty plus for sure. These are some healthy.
Speaker 1: Canada Canada.
Speaker 2: That's that's what their website says. Now when they say Canada, I don't know if there's like aquaculture in Canada or if they're going out and netting some some far away river or what the deal is, but it's it's very well reviewed. Walleye from Calvers a three piece dinner, and again, you boys cannot go over. If you go over, you will get it wrong.
Speaker 1: Look at that sandwich. Chill.
Speaker 2: You know, every time I'm heading east on the Interstate and I passed through Rapid City, that's the first time I can smell Callvers. Again, that's about as far west as they get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, answer, We'll leave it. Yeah, you boys literally have to save what if we get the right answer? Dude, Well we can't. We gotta have a winner and loser. We can't tie.
Speaker 2: Okay, set this Seeing Chili's answer, Chili, you miss the Culver's back home in Rapid City.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I feel like, yeah, you're right, they're outside of Rapid West Rapid you don't find them.
Speaker 1: No, and if there are someone most now, but you can.
Speaker 2: Start to smell Casey's when you get that far east exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I do, miss I do miss a Culver's burger.
Speaker 2: All right, you boys ready, and this price is from on Alaska, Wisconsin. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying thirteen dollars and Chili says twelve ninety.
Speaker 1: I want everyone to know if Chili wins this, I had that first. Well, maybe you shouldn't be so, I don't know. I'm not gonna say that that's bad. Just stick you where your answers to your.
Speaker 2: So you you had twelve ninety nine as well. Okay, both of you come up with a new answer. Then you saw Chili's Answer're gonna have you come up with a new answer. You are both lower than the correct answer, so we come up with the new one. They both wrote down twelve ninety nine. Seth then change his answer, but we're gonna make them try one more time. We know the price is higher than twelve ninety nine. Chili, you have your answer, I doe. Seth, you have your answer. Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chili saying fourteen ninety nine and Seth saying fourteen fifty. The correct answer is twenty dollars and seventy nine cents. Giving chili that very first point, suck it seth. Then them walleye ain't cheap huws se. I guess not who did well in the chat?
Speaker 1: Phil?
Speaker 2: Anybody get it around the right answer?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I haven't looked for the last thirty seconds. So we had Derek saying nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: That was the call. Oh what his last name is?
Speaker 2: Xanders? Xander is a European walleye. That is fantastic, Well done, Derek, Xam.
Speaker 1: There's some of those in.
Speaker 2: South Dakota, North Carolina, Cottonwood Lake.
Speaker 1: I think it is eh. There you go?
Speaker 2: All right, Phil, tell us about the second and second item up forbid.
Speaker 7: Well, if you prefer selling fish to buying fish, then how about owning your very own bait shop. Lacy Marine baiton Tackle is located at the Jersey Shore. This turnkey business comes with all of their inventory for bait, freezer's, a live bait tank, and a state of the art POS system. Lacey's has been opened since nineteen sixty nine and is a fixture of the community. I forgot that I can't change the slide without getting the script out of my eyeballs, and now it is gone. Where was I but there are some things money can't buy, like the Lacey Township Police Department Citizen Recognition Award that the business received in twenty twenty three. Lacey Marine baiton Tackle got the honor after its owner saved the life of a customer who collapsed while shopping for bait.
Speaker 2: Amazing, and Lacey's claims to have an annual revenue of nine hundred and twenty thousand dollars and has been list it for sale since November twenty twenty three. Seth and Chili, what does that bait store cost? And Phil is showing us some pictures of Lacey. That is Lacey Marine Bait and Tackle, located at the Jersey Shore. We're looking at some blood worms there. That appears to be one of their hot ticket items based on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Seth, you want to look at my answer?
Speaker 2: Nope, you boys have an answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would love to own a bait chop someday.
Speaker 2: That would be fun.
Speaker 1: I think it'd be so fun, especially if you had a bar in there too.
Speaker 2: Where would you put that bait shop at?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 1: Probably like Upper Midwest. Yeah, that type of culture. I feel like this is more like ocean culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very marine heavy in there area. They've got like a whole section of yacht paint in this bait store.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'd be wanting to, like, you know, have a have some cheese curd or something in there, and you know, smell like bait have Chester come walk callbers.
Speaker 2: That's good? You boys, ready, yep, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Chili saying one point three million in Seth saying one point four million. Cheat, you're both too high, so you'll both need to try again. Wow, what on the too high has an annual revenue of nine hundred and twenty thousand. Now that's revenue, not profit, So that's uh, that's their top line number, not their bottom line number. You guys have an answer.
Speaker 1: This isn't trivia.
Speaker 2: I could probably just lift this up. I suspect some of our audiences doing that. You guys ready, yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Chili saying eight sixty five and Seth saying nine hundred and thirty thousand. They're still too high. Oh yeez, they're gonna need to try again. We have yet to have this happen. This place has been on the market for houses right since November twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I gotta say everyone in the chat is right there with you guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, too high, too high? Wow, this this bait store may have a lot of suitors after this episode. If you folks are willing to throw around one point four million, it could very easily be yours. Okay, you guys ready again, So even if he's like.
Speaker 3: Lower, but if I if I'm over by twenty five k, but he's under by three hundred k.
Speaker 2: He wonder is important. You're automatically disqualified if you're over, Are you ready? Okay? Seth is going back to him, So it's chilling.
Speaker 1: We're going to go. You're going.
Speaker 2: Okay, they figured out the game. We're ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Chili saying four hundred and sixty thousand and sets saying four hundred and seventy five thousand. They're still too high. They're going back to their whiteboards. Four four attempts.
Speaker 1: We got ourselves, so game pokes, you went to your something.
Speaker 2: Then we've started at one point four million. We're all the way down to under four hundred and sixty thousand at this point, Seth and Chili are on their fourth attempt of guessing the price of Lacey Marine to tackle at the Jersey.
Speaker 1: I'm just sticking.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Just go ahead and feel your answers. We've got Seth that says fifty six dollars. No, that's oh, that's five five bucks. He says five dollars. Chili says two hundred and forty four thousand. The correct answer. It's two hundred and seventy nine Chili.
Speaker 1: The second point, Hey, sure with five bucks victory, that's not bad for a tackle shop.
Speaker 2: Hey, it could. It could be yours. Like I said, a lot of folks in chat may be outbitting you though.
Speaker 1: Well, here's okay, really quick.
Speaker 7: A bunch of people started getting closer after the third you're too high, but pit past podcast Guest two ten right off the bat.
Speaker 2: Alright, pass pit pass. You get that point? Bill, let's her hear about our third item up forbid. We'll see if Chili can get the skunk on Seth and make him run around the office naked as his tradition nobody wants.
Speaker 7: If you're looking to fill that bait shop with decor, then how about an autographed Jaws poster? This movie poster has a certificate of authenticity, meaning it's the real deal. It measures twenty six inches by thirty eight inches and is signed by four members of the cast plus Steven Spielberg. Actually, I will tell you that John Williams is not a member of the cast, but a composer of the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: The oscre wedding film turns fifty years old this year, giving you a chance to own a piece of piece of cinema history.
Speaker 2: The eBay seller also offers a jockey's costume from Seabiscuit and twenty three Disney DVDs. All right, Seth and Chili, what does that sign Jaws poster? Cam? Who's the composer film?
Speaker 1: John Williams?
Speaker 2: John Williams, And I think that's how they won their Oscar was via their music. It was not best picture or or Best Lead Actor or anything like that. Best music.
Speaker 3: You said that this fella has this on eBay on eBay, Okay, So he's not trying to like sell this out, okay.
Speaker 2: And he's also selling jockey's costume from Seabiscuit and twenty three Disney. Gives me some thoughts, you ready, I'm ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Chile saying eleven thousand dollars, and Seth goes with one dollar.
Speaker 3: Such a that's bush league correct, You're such a bush leaguer.
Speaker 1: D I never watched the show. Yeah is right, Yeah, but wins a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the correct answer is one hundred and ninety dollars, giving Seth his third point, and he's quite sad first sorry, his first point, Chili is the today's game is right? Don't how the chat do?
Speaker 1: Dylan Jenkins saying one seventy five.
Speaker 7: I believe that was the closest without going over. Oh nope, nope, Nick said, which is kind of suspiciously close.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've heard that name during the Prices right before Nick.
Speaker 1: I think Nick by himself a new poster.
Speaker 2: All right, getting that ends today's game of Prices, right, Thanks for playing along. Everybody, remember to help control the pet population. Have your pets spade and neuter. All right. Our next segment is Tattoos. I regret.
Speaker 15: Hello darkness, my old friend. I looked at my attach lookame it such a good idea. I was drunk last summer and the pizza.
Speaker 1: The tattoo says the Pusson will.
Speaker 2: Always find more beans.
Speaker 13: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: It's a tattoo?
Speaker 15: I reg.
Speaker 2: Now I'm so thrilled about today's tattoo that, for only the second time ever, we have the person with the regrettable tattoo joining us live here. She is now Amanda Fairbairon Kimmerie. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Thanks thanks for having me, guys, Amanda.
Speaker 2: Let's get some backstory before we reveal your tattoo. First thing, when did you get this?
Speaker 14: I got it almost probably like a decade ago when I was a junior in college at Clemson.
Speaker 2: Okay, And what was going on that day when you got that tattoo?
Speaker 16: My friend and I were having ourselves a good Saturday, and at the time, Clemson was winning the national championship. Everyone was getting you know, go Tigers, Go tag send tattooed.
Speaker 14: On the inside of their lip.
Speaker 16: It was like a new trend, I guess joggd on and my friend and I were sitting there, I'm like, what is just the most outrageous and ridiculous tattoo you can think of?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's how you landed on this idea. Have you ever met another person with this tattoo?
Speaker 14: No, I haven't.
Speaker 16: I've met the hundreds of people with lip tattoos, and like when the video of me went viral, I was reading the comments that everyone was commenting like what their lip tattoo that they had was, and I was really expecting someone else to have something similar.
Speaker 14: But no, not a soul yet?
Speaker 2: Is this your only tattoo?
Speaker 14: So no, I actually have.
Speaker 16: Four other tattoos and they're actually all related to the outdoors in some way as well.
Speaker 2: Ah, all right, well let's reveal your tattoo and then explain its meaning for us.
Speaker 6: Okay, So it's eighteen oh four to eighteen oh six, and it is, yes, eighteen o four to eighteen oh six, and it is the dates of the was in Clark expedition.
Speaker 2: Okay, love that? Why why the Lewis and Clark expedition dates?
Speaker 13: I mean, when.
Speaker 16: Sitting out, you know, on a nice Saturday with my friend, we were thinking, what's the most outrageous thing?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 16: What else could you possibly think of other than something having to do with history way back when that kind of people forget after grade.
Speaker 14: School too, you know.
Speaker 2: So what ideas did you pass on before landing on eighteen oh four to eighteen oh, six on the inside of your bottom lip.
Speaker 14: So we passed on my mom's phone number. Oh, I think he's probably very grateful I.
Speaker 13: Did not have that.
Speaker 14: And then we also passed on I think it was Bill Gates' birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, Like I said, we.
Speaker 16: Were thinking about outrageous and random things, and my friend got the dates of.
Speaker 14: My calendar when it was expected to end.
Speaker 2: She got those days tattooed on the Okay, very good. Now what are your friends and fans think of the tattoo?
Speaker 16: When I first got it, they just thought it was stupid, and you know, they figured, oh, it'll fade in one to three years whatever. Well, here we are almost a decade later, and they still think it's just as outrageous. But it's brought a lot of joy and laughter, so everyone just thinks it's funny.
Speaker 2: Now, do your other friends with lip tattoos have their lip tattoos faded? Because I've always heard it said that that's a thing that they fade, but then that hasn't seemed to be a reality.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So like that's why everyone started getting them, like a decade ago.
Speaker 14: Is for the room was like, oh, who cares like it fades? In one to three years. But yeah, no, hers, actually my friend that I got it with, Hers is pretty faded. I think there's still a little bit left of it, but hers is pretty faded. Mine's going strong about do you.
Speaker 2: Actually regret the tattoo, though, I'm going.
Speaker 14: To say no.
Speaker 16: If you would have told me when I got it that it would last probably my entire life, I probably wouldn't have gotten it then. But looking back now, it's just brought everyone so much joy and laughter, and it's actually the reason my husband and.
Speaker 13: I are together.
Speaker 2: Oh how did that come to be?
Speaker 14: So when we met, we.
Speaker 16: Met at a mutual friend's house for a party, and at that said party, you know, he was there with his boys, and he was like, I'm not going to talk to any girls today. I'm just gonna hang out with the guys. He told me this lady later in our relationship. But then later on he also admitted that the minute he found out I had that lip tattoos, like, I'll talk to her, like she seems like a pretty cool girl.
Speaker 2: Wow, and now they're Mary. That's great.
Speaker 14: Well.
Speaker 2: Traditionally, during this segment, we shame people for having bad tattoos, but we're not going to do that. I think it's so damn cool, and I'm jealous I didn't think of it first. Why didn't I come up with putting the day to the Lewis and Clark expedition on the inside.
Speaker 1: Of my lip. Yeah, that's like something you totally do.
Speaker 16: I know.
Speaker 2: But now we're talking to Amanda instead, who did have that great idea on a drunk.
Speaker 14: Saturday, will have the same lip tattoo.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, Amanda. Thank you for joining us, and thanks for sharing your tattoo that you absolutely should not regret.
Speaker 14: Thanks for having me. Guys appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Chili.
Speaker 2: Do you regret regret any of your tattoos?
Speaker 1: Not a one?
Speaker 2: How many do you have? Oh, I don't even know thirty?
Speaker 1: No, not that many, almost twenty. Maybe you don't.
Speaker 2: Regret any of them.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: I think the only regret I have is like I didn't do some bigger I don't have regrets about like, oh, shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have dead Man's hand here right above my watch. I wish I would have done that bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have Yeah. I like that tattoo a lot. I wish you would have.
Speaker 2: Done a bigger Thank you Chill.
Speaker 1: Your tattoos are really like a lot of thought went into my thoughts.
Speaker 2: Oh, I appreciate it. Well, I did a thing that most people tattoos don't do.
Speaker 11: Like.
Speaker 2: Uh, I didn't start getting until I was almost thirty years old. Yeah, you know, your tattoo eras when you're in college or something, and I was just too broke to afford him then.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So now I had a wiser version of me coming up with bad tattoo ideas.
Speaker 1: I like them.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Seth. All right. That brings us to the end of the show. Phil, what's the chat have to say?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got a few more. Just wanted to shout out Mogor, who got back to us. He says he officially passed the Hungarian State hunting exam. Oh says inspired by meat Eater, So good job, Mogor.
Speaker 1: That's on that.
Speaker 7: Devin asks, well, first of all, last chance to get questions in do that right now? Devin asks any good recommendations or favorites for solo camping tents for hunting trips. Looking forward to doing my first deer hunt later this year.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Seth, I have.
Speaker 1: It's a nemo I don't remember what model, but it's just like a one person real light. It's a three season, so keep that in mind if you're gonna be in some cold, snowy weather. But I enjoy that thing. It's from super Light. I fit in it great, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Chili, I'm I'm a fan of the Seek outside Cimarron. It's a four man tent. Probably get two fully grown men in there. But the cool thing about that one is too it has a you can if you purchase a stove, you can run a stove out of it too, So if you are late season hunting, you can you can have some warmth with you. Obviously, you have to do some more logistics when it comes to where you're going packing in wood and all that stuff. But I and that thing's great in the summer as well, so pretty light weight and it's a very very low profile as far as packing, so that's why I like it.
Speaker 2: Stoves are nice, Devin. I tented for most of my deer hunts, and usually I'm so low I run a three person tent. I find that's the right size for me to be like very comfortable in there. And I'm talking about car camping specifically, where I can fit a cot, I can fit a little heater, I can like hang up my socks and clothes to dry. Real nice. Seth had brought up having a three season tent if you're hunting in the fall, which sounds like you are on this deer hunt. I think it's very important to have a four seasons tent, and those ratings are sort of done different by each company. I don't think there's any like legal obligation to call it a three season tent or a four season tent if it fits this certain criteria. But I think, Devin, if it's important to you to stay warm at night and you're hunting anytime, you know, from mid October on in the north, look for a four season tent. And if you know you're going to be by yourself three people, a three person tent will keep you really comfortable. I run an ELPs Tasmanian tent. I've had that for five years. I really love it. I'm very cozy in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was thinking more backcountry stuff. But if you are Karcam and go with a bigger tent, yeah, it's just nicer to have the extra room.
Speaker 7: Phil, what else you got the only reason I'm going to put this guy's name on the screen is because he specifically told me how to pronounce his last name. Okay, if this is kind of an ethical Chettiquette esque moral conundrum here, but here we go. Brad asks, while being a father of three, with food prices as high as they are, is it okay to accept game meet that was probably poached?
Speaker 2: And how do you pronounce his last name Phil.
Speaker 1: With tucky in case anyone wants to look for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take that game meat, Brad. You're fine. It's not gonna taste any different. I don't think would you boys have any if.
Speaker 1: You needed to.
Speaker 2: Feed a family of three, would you take some poached meat? We don't know, So yeah, I take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, take that meat, Brad.
Speaker 2: And then and then when you're feeding it to folks, you can talk about conservation. It gives you a good little nugget of information to share with other people.
Speaker 1: Deniability.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows.
Speaker 7: Let's see here, favorite way to cook turkey breast that isn't schnitzel or nuggets, which he already loves to make.
Speaker 1: This is from Keith Seth.
Speaker 2: What are you doing with all that turkey meat?
Speaker 1: Well, schnitzel and nuggets might go too.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: My wife and I did a stir fry the other night, which was fantastic. I just kind of sliced it up in like thin strips and and did that. It was great. Serve it over, Rice, Keith.
Speaker 2: Go to the meat eater dot com. On our section you can search. You can put the criteria in there for only turkey meat. You'll get all kinds of great recipes from people who are far better cooks than us, and there'll be a lot of inspiration there that's not schnitzel or nuggets.
Speaker 1: Seth.
Speaker 7: This is from Will Seth. I've watched you and Steve's trapping, skinning and fleshing videos. Will y'all ever do a tanning follow up? Or do you have any tips right now? He said he recently started and his coons always come out greasy and stiff.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm. Well, I don't do any tanning. I send everything off to the tannery to get tanned professionally. I just I never got into the tanning thing.
Speaker 2: Did you ever mess around with like quick tan? Isn't that something that no? I?
Speaker 1: When I was younger, I used to like kill squirrels and just salt the heck at, like, stretch them and salt the heck out of them.
Speaker 2: And where of them squirrels at? Now?
Speaker 1: Oh, they're probably rotted away some Honestly, I have no clue. I might have one or two left back of my mom's house in Pennsylvania. But yeah, that was in a forever type treatment. But uh, yeah, I've honestly never tanned anything like legit tanned something. So I can't really help you there, Phil.
Speaker 7: Any experience putting electronics on a pontoon that's from Brian, Not on a pontoon.
Speaker 1: But a lot of electronics with other boats. What do you need to know? Larance? I'd go with the bird, but I kind of it just depends. Hummingbird is better mapping, and I.
Speaker 2: Bet on a pontoon it's a little more simple, like you know, plumbing your electronics to the bottom than it would be with a traditional v hall boat. But I don't know, Brian, Uh a lot of electronics on ponteens like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Uh. Max Bart's father in law. While I dan, he he guides out of upon tune. Oh yeah, he probably has lots of experience with rigging pontoon boats. But as far as I'm concer, I think a pontoon boat is a great fishing vessel.
Speaker 2: Gives you a lot of surface space to walk around in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I imagine if you're if you're rigging up a pontoon with expensive electronics, that you're trying to be a good family man. Brian. You're trying to have one foot in both worlds of good fishing and taking the kids out on the river with the lake on a Saturday. It's good on you, Brian.
Speaker 7: We'll do one more here, but first Brian who won the hot tip offs that he got busy at work and missed it live, but he just popped in and says thanks so much. So yeah, Brian, be on the lookout for something from Corey here if he hasn't already messaged you already. Well, oh yeah, that's a pro go producer tip Brian. The last one from Ben Spencer. Have you ever tried paddle fishing by Yankton? He said he's from the area and wants to get his first spoony.
Speaker 2: I have done it, Ben. It was It was like some of my favorite outdoor memories as a kid. The fishing is even in the band had years. It's very good by Yanked and that's where a dam is on the Missouri River. It's a last dam on the Missouri River, and a lot of fish get stacked up there. It's a lot of fun. It's not a thing where you have to be up super early or stay out till the last minute of daylight. There's really really good camaraderie with it. Ben and I assume if you're a resident, you get access to better water than everyone else, and so enjoy that. Ben, keep buying those preference points. Know what the slot is and how to measure it. Folks are very willing to give tips on how to do it, how to rig your weights and your your treble hooks. So don't be afraid to ask someone if you need some help. But enjoy it. I miss it a lot, all right. That brings us to the end of the show. Thanks everyone for watching and listening. We'll see you guys back here in one week.