Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Ethos and what Ethos does is it helps you find life insurance. Let me tell you why life insurance bailed me out. My father died when I was sixteen. We didn't have a lot of money when it happened, and we were in a pretty tough financial spot after it happened. I'm an only child. Suddenly my mother's single, single mother. She had a job, suddenly lost a job, looking for another job, and we were struggling. You know, my dad didn't leave us in the best financial situation, but he did make one purchase. He bought a life insurance policy. Wasn't a huge chunk of change, but it was enough when we found it. And when I say we found it, meaning we went through his desk and we found, oh, look at this, let's see if there's anything here. And it helped us out at a time that we really needed it. And that's why I think it's important that if you can, especially if you have young children, if you can get life insurance, you should get it. Life is full of unexpected emergencies, unexpected things happen. It is an extra bit of security, something you can leave and help out at a time when you're not there to help. So what does Ethos do well. Ethos makes getting life insurance fast and easy, and it's one hundred percent online. You can get a quote in seconds, you can apply in minutes, and you can get same day coverage. They will find you the right fit. There's no medical exam. You just answer a few simple health questions online. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage and some policies are as low as thirty dollars a month and you'll get your lowest rate from their network of trusted carriers. So take ten minutes to get covered today with life insurance through Ethos. Get your free quote at ethos dot com slash chuck that is e t hos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary and rates may vary. So one of the questions I get a lot from various people frustrated by the current political system, and this comes from folks throughout the spectrum is what do I do? What can I do? Versus I need to do more referring to me and or media, et cetera. And my answer is always the same. Well, ultimately, my vote is the same as your vote. You've got to just everybody has a role here, but he's got to do something well. The conversation I want to have today is about it's it's a new book that's out called How to Be a Dissident. It's by Gal Beckerman. That's my guest. Gal's here now. But the real point is it's sort of like, when you're living in a fairly free society and you feel as if you're not being represented, what do you do and what is it? What did others do? And are there is there inspiration to take from others who lived in less free societies. And obviously when you hear the words dissident, it immediately invokes people fighting less free societies. But the current situation we're all in, I think there's this feeling that we when you feel unrepresented or underrepresented, do you start? Is it good to start to think like a dissident? So this is a question that we're going to simply ask, and Gal's going to give us the answer. Gal, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: So let me start with the premise of the book, How to Be a Dissident. Is it intentionally written for an American audience in your head, like who were you talking to when you when you when you frame it. Look, the book's about it's a little bit history, it's a little bit of communications, it's it's a little bit of a lot of things. But you must have had a motivation. What was it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, for sure, I was thinking about an American audience that needed to hear about the experience of people in other times historically, and needed to hear about the experience of people right now in other places in the world, like Iran, like China. Why did they need to hear about those experiences? Because to my mind, being a dissonant is saying no, experiencing a reality that somehow violates your sense of what is normal, what the normal conditions for a sort of free human life should be, and refusing to go along with it. Now, in authoritarian systems, that can take on a pretty extreme form. You know, you're not allowed to say whatever you want to say, You're not allowed to read whatever you want to read. You're not allowed to wear your hair in the way that you want to wear your hair or leave it covered or uncovered. You're not allowed to gather with other people. But there are ways that I began to feel that those sort of conditions for a quote unquote normal life were beginning to be impeded upon even here in the United States, and in ways that I had never really I had never really experienced them, certainly in my lifetime. And you know, to take an example that's just fairly recent, if you think about Minneapolis, when that happened, when people responded, when citizens in Minneapolis responded the way that they did, I saw dissidents.
Speaker 1: I saw, yeah, they even created these networks like you hear about in other countries that they had a code or they would honk ORNs or you know, you hear this stuff. But it was yeah, yeah, ID to hear stories like this in Cuba, for instance, if you thought somebody was watching the little things you do, right.
Speaker 2: But but I mean, even at the level of motivation, I think what happened in people's minds is I don't think this was political. I think people said, look at what's happening to my neighbor, look at what's having the people who live in my community who are afraid to send their kids to school, or hiding in their houses or are being harassed on the street. And those are those were pulses that Vak club Hubble, who is the great Czech dissident, playwright, check dissident who became the president of a free Czechoslovakia. He had a concept, he said that dissidents starts with the pre political It's not these aren't These aren't sort of motivations which say, oh, here's this one leader in charge. I want to put my guy in charge. It's about those conditions of life. It's about saying how do I think my neighbors should be treated, and then seeing that being violated and saying I have a choice. I have a moral choice. I can put my head down and do nothing, which is actually very hardwired in human beings right to do nothing in those circumstances, to just conform, or I can say no, I can refuse and do something about it. And I think that's it's out of that. It's at that crossroads that the dissident is born.
Speaker 1: So in your mind, what makes a dissident is somebody who's not looking for political power but is just looking for to write a moral wrong.
Speaker 2: It's it's less even about writing a moral wrong than than saying no in an instance where they feel that a certain value or a certain part of their conscience has been violated. I have a great sort of I love this particular quote in the book from Hanaharant. Hannah Rent, the German philosopher, was trying in the post war years to understand why certain Germans, very few of them refused to go along with the Nazis. They refused in every circumstance to just conform. And she came to an interesting conclusion. She said, these weren't people who just like you know, had a strong kind of set of moral precepts and and and those were the things that guided them. In fact, a lot of the people with moral precepts were able to switch from thou shalt kill to thou shalt not kill, you know, as soon as somebody sort of switched them from one side to the other. She said. The people who refused were the like perpetual sort of doubters and skeptics who took everything, everything that they experienced and it's at face value, and tried to answer it with one single question. Can I live with myself? Can I live with myself if I don't do anything in this situation? Can I live with myself if I go along with something that I may ask to go along with and she said those people. For them, it was quite quite simple. It's they didn't want to live with themselves because who they would be would be murderers. So they didn't want to live with a murderer. So it's it's this sort of very essential question of conscience, of kind of of your gut in a way. I know it can sound a little bit sort of vague when when you talk about it that way, but I think we all know like those moments where we have I call it in the book moral nausea, you know, where you open the newspaper and you see something and you just you just don't it doesn't feel right to you. But then you have this next moment where you think, well, I've got to go on with my day, like I'm not gonna you know, and so I I you know, and we can't all be dissidents, you know. I mean, I think that's one of the takeaways that I have from this experience of spending time with Dissonance. It's in some ways it's a very extreme position, you know, to always be the one at the front line of that particular moral quandary. But what I learned is that like, I need to understand that I do have choices. There is moral choice. Even when I look in the newspaper and I see something that really bothers me, that gives me that kind of nausea, I can choose to do something about it. I can all so choose not to do something, which is also a choice. But it's the accepting the idea that there is a choice, that I have some agency as a human being in these circumstances.
Speaker 1: Let me let me get it something that you're an expert on because you've written another You've written a book on it. Right, You've written a book about the Soviet Jewelry. What made the dissidents in the Soviet Union successful that the dissidents in today's Russia are struggling with? It's same country in theory. Obviously it's a smaller version of it, but sort of similar ways, although it's slightly different how the Soviet Union operated versus how Putin operates.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it because the Soviet Jewelry is no longer there? Is that it? I mean, you know, and if if they were, you know, I mean, what's what's what's your explanation for why the Soviet jewelry was so successful and so far the dissidence in Putin's Russia had not been.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. It's not something that I really thought about. But you know, I I the thing about Soviet this jury movement, which for those who don't know about it, was a movement of Jews who were trapped inside the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union did not let them leave. They would not give them exit visus to leave. At the same time, their existence as Jews in the Soviet Union was pretty terrible. They couldn't really like have any kind of Jewish identity, but they were also actually there was also actually a lot of a lot of prejudice against them. Schools that they couldn't universities you couldn't go to, professions you couldn't go to. But at the same time they couldn't leave. So the Soviet Union had almost like this, you know, it was they were yeah, yeah, and and and so they made a cause out of this desire to leave. And here again just to point, you know, to go back to something earlier, I said, what made their cause powerful was that they were drawing on I think what is a very human impulse, which is that we want to be able to live where we want to live. So the idea that they were actually imprisoned in the Soviet Union once they were able to dramatize that to the world, and they did in all kinds of ways over a long period of time. That's the other thing we can talk about is dissidence takes time. It takes time to sort of incubate in a way. These were small communities of people. They built loyalty amongst themselves. They were outcasts within their own societies. As soon as they asked to leave, they were thrown out of their jobs, out of their sometimes out of the department buildings. So they really formed these tight communities of people and they appealed to the world, the United States in particular, which then put pressure back on the Soviet Union, used it as a leverage in negotiations. You know. The benefit I think they had was that that was a world in which shame, the kind of shame that was being worked, it still worked. The idea of human rights was still had currency and not something that you know, an American president could sort of just like, you know, laugh off. So those are all powerful levers that they could use against the Soviet Union.
Speaker 1: So you might make the argument then that take the navalney dissidents, okay, and just loosely that you know, it's in the same stages of where Soviet Jews were in the sixties, and it's going to take time and that eventu. I mean, look, I'm with you. I mean, every dictatorship ends the same way. It takes forever and then it happens overnight, right like a sod in Syria. Just one night, he's like, oh, he's now in Russia. It's over, right, like all of a sudden. You don't think it's ever going to end, and then it ends immediately.
Speaker 2: Well for you, yeah, I'll give you an even more contemporary, very very contemporary example. I've been doing some reporting today on what happened in Yahan, Hungary, because we saw this the fall of Orbon, which people didn't think was going to happen, you know, or happened quite as dramatically and you know, as it did, and as totally as it did. You know, two thirds of the country voted against him. But I learned that there was something you know, incubating, percolating over the last two years in the Hungarian countryside, in rural areas which were strongholds of Orbon. This is where most of just where it came from, where for people who lived there, it seemed almost impossible to imagine that they would ever be a different leader than Orbon. There began to be these small groups they called them islands. Actually Tisa Tisa, which is the political party that won. They call them Tisa islands. And this was like civic organizations, you know, in places where civil society had really almost disappeared under Orbon. So you have like the local entrepreneur and the doctor and maybe like a you know, a farmer, and they start meeting to discuss things like a local factory that's causing pollution. They organized to do clean up, like cleaning up later in the village or having like a movie night or something. And these were happening in hundreds and hundreds of rural areas. People weren't they were not directly connected to the party that but they were sort of affiliated with the idea of some kind of change. But what it did was it built up this kind of like citizen muscle, and it made people less scared. It made them I mean I heard today what people told me is that it got people out of this spiral of fear and of silence that there could ever be anybody but orbone, because otherwise people understood that things were not great and hungary. The economy was not good, you know, there was the education system is not good. There was all kinds of ways that they wanted to change, but they needed to take this kind of step of both recognizing there were other people who felt like they did, to do activities that were not at first risky, and have those sort of slowly ramb up to the then bigger task of voting against the man who they had voted for for the last sixteen years. So it's I mean, it's a kind of a perfect example of how dissonance needs to grow. I'll give you another example, if you want from here, is the No Kings Day rallies. You know, people witness those and they say, well, on one hand, like what's the immediate effect? We always want to know, like is this going to translate into midterm election wins? But I think that's a really wrong way of thinking about it. I think these organizers have really been smart about how they've ramped up these rallies or these demonstrations, which have been totally decentralized. They have happened in I think the first one had like two thousand and the last one had like four thousand. They're local, people can come with whatever cause they care most about under the umbrella of creeping authoritarianism, and they are seeing each other. They're seeing each other in real life. They're saying, Okay, I'm not alone in this feeling right, doing things like being irreverent or jokey about the president, which you know, doesn't sound like it should be important, but it actually is.
Speaker 1: Like it's important to be able to spend a whole chapter in comedy.
Speaker 2: I do that. I think being able to sort of laugh at the King, to see him naked is the first step towards imagining him gone, you know, so that they are sort of sights where people can reinforce these feelings and one another and build towards something bigger.
Speaker 1: Well, this episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Quint's. This time of year always makes me rethink what's in my closet. I'm trying to keep fewer things, but better ones, pieces that are well made, easy to wear all the time. Trust me, I am constantly on this. I have given up ties, So I'm looking for upscale casual, nice casual, right. That's why I keep coming back to Quints. The fits are thoughtful, pricing actually makes sense, dirty little secret. Some of my birthday gifts came from members of my family using the code and ordering from Quints, and I love what I got. Quins makes some high quality every day essentials. They use premium materials like a one hundred percent European linen, and they're insanely soft flow knit active wear fabric. Their men's linen pants and shirts are lightweight, breathable, comfortable, basically the perfect layer for spring. I've got some of the linen shorts on right now. They're fantastic, trust me. And the best part is that their prices are fifty to sixty percent less than similar brands. How well Quint's works directly with ethical factories, cuts out middlemen, so they're paan for quality, not the markup of the brand. Everything is designed to last and make getting dressed easy. This is one I wholeheartedly endorse. I wear the products. I really like it. I can find my comfort zone here literally what I'm comfortable wearing and comfortable appeering in on air so refresher ward war with quints. Go to quins dot com slash chuck c uhck for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns. Now available in Canada too, so go to q u I n CE dot com slash chuck for free shipping three hundred and sixty five day returns quints dot com slash chuck. Use that code.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm hungry. And one of the things that I'm trying to digest is the fact that the leader of the movement that toppled Orbon was was once a member of Orbon's party. That it was not somebody who had been part of the loyal opposition for twenty years, but in fact had been You know, I and I wonder, how is that is that a model? Are the best dissidents the ones that used to be a part of the system, Are they the most effective dissidence? What's Is there a pattern that you feel like you've uncovered.
Speaker 2: I think in Hungary it certainly made a difference because it provided a kind of like permission structure. The permission yeah, people said it. And and this is of a piece with these islands I'm talking about, because it's like once you see your neighbors start to say, okay, I'm not going to vote for Fidez this time, then you think, okay, it's okay for me too. And the leader of the party is a guy who was once a loyalist and turned his you know, turned around. So it all sort of like trickles down.
Speaker 1: Unique to hungry or is it in any system like that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean I do think of somebody like Navalny, who was like, you know, very much a creature of the establishment in Russia. He wasn't like wild eyed you know outside No.
Speaker 1: In fact, some of the critics of him say, you know, he's not really this and he's not really that. Well, you know what he is. He's a guy who stood up to Booten and that many people were willing to do it.
Speaker 2: I know, he actually got a lot of heat for once, uh, sort of becoming too cozy with nationalists, you know, when he was trying to build.
Speaker 1: I think in his own way, he is a Russian nationalist, but he thought Luton wasn't a real nationalist, right, I mean, right, right.
Speaker 2: Right, But you know, I think people saw in Navalny also like he created it that creates the kind of safety to say, like, Okay, if this guy who is like comes from a sort of I mean, he was a lawyer, he kind of has a sort of you know, elite background, if he's the one who's willing to take on the dictator, like, we can't too.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, Why didn't Liz Cheney serve that purpose for the for the opposition to Trump?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, she in some ways fits that definition, right, And I mean I look at it, it's like, yeah, well, she never really was part of the Trump movement. In fact that you could argue she was a member of the establishment that Trump overthrew inside the Republican Party too. So maybe maybe that isn't the right you know, maybe Mike Pence is the better is the better avatar? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think in both instances, and this is true of Hungary and Trumanavalney, you have to build a base, right, you can't be you know, to have an individual who does a brave thing is helpful as an example, but it has to sort of create a culture of people each doing their brave things, you know. So for her to take on, for Pens to take on the sort of Maga world and the culture that is Maga would demand building an alternative, you know, an alternative that has its own distinct value system.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the archetypes you come through. You sort of the book is structured in a way where there's almost like a structure and a dissidence. You did this by studying various ones, so so hit me with it. You know, what would you say, why do you think qualities travel history? You know, like sometimes a certain quality might have made sense two hundred years ago but it doesn't now, but you sort of see it as it doesn't matter you're historic era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it was important for me to sort of understand what was universal about these qualities, which you know, I've some people have looked at the book and they go, oh wow, well, how amazing that you're you know, you have like a Chinese woman and a you know, ancient Greek philosopher in them. It's so u you know, you know, multi faceted in that way.
Speaker 1: And that wasn't right, like the benaton for dissidents, right exactly, that is not what you were going for, right, No.
Speaker 2: That wasn't my intent. I mean I think that I felt that the universality of these qualities had to be proven, and the only way to prove them was to be able to say, I'm going to show you how as tracks, you know, to talk about the qualities a little bit. I mean, I think there's sort of like three sets of you know, things that I was looking at. You know, I wanted to understand sort of like what, uh what makes a dissident in some ways? You know, like what what sort of what the essential aspects of a dissident has to be? You know, so something like a certain kind of aloneness, a certain ability to step away from conformity, which is such a strong I mean, in that chapter, I looked at what a strong human impulse that actually is. We we are hardwired to conform. Yeah, it's survival, It's it's allowed our species to exist. As long as that we have these sort of we can create social bonds and and we are loyal to one another in this way that you know, it's very hard to break away from. So uh so there is this sort of a weirdness around you know, the dissident who's willing to just say I'm going to just like you know, the world has to stop I can't go on, you know, living the way that I'm living as long as this thing is happening in the world. I looked at pessimism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was an interesting one. You're just like really pessimist, Like, yeah, all right, you you need to have pessimism in order to understand optimism. You know. I used to try to tell my kids that, you know, in order to have good days, you have to have bad days. That used to be how I explain to my you know, when they were in their single digits. You know, now they're young adults. But like, in order to understand what a good day is, you have to have bad days. That was the simple way to do it. Is that the thesis here.
Speaker 2: That's part of it. But it's also that well, first of all, I think people misunderstand pessimism as being you know, this as being fatalism, as being this notion that like things will always and forever you know, get worse.
Speaker 1: So what's the difference between pessimism and fatalism.
Speaker 2: So pessimism is just that things will probably get worse.
Speaker 1: So the word probably is doing a lot of work there.
Speaker 2: Well, no, not really, because like you know, maybe they won't, you know, maybe they won't get worse. But what that opened up for, what that opens up for the activeness is a space of action, right because like if if you think that things are going to get worse, but there is a possibility that they won't, then you're really motivated to act. If you think things are probably going to get better, then yeah, you could be passive. The arc of justice is going to bend in the direction. Why get off my ass to do something? You know, if I know that one way or another, climate change will be solved.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny you say, I'll use let me give you a dark version of how I yeah, talk about climate change and I ask people this question, and I'll ask it to you. Yeah, if in fifty years, well, let's say by the year twenty one hundred, the world's population is three and a half billion, did we survived climate change? Three and a half billion people did?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like we lost two thirds of the world's population, right, Right, So it is one of those like, I mean, you know, it's like, do I think eventually we'll serve we'll survive it? But how much damage is done? How many people lose their lives? How many? Is that optimism or pessimism.
Speaker 2: Well, you're your your notion that we're surviving it is I mean that you have a very clique. You have a distinct idea of what it means to survive, which is.
Speaker 1: Well, the species survived, then we've survived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, species technically survived, but the amount of misery that was caused along the way, it's something to contend with. So, I mean, you know, if you're a climate activist, you can say to yourself, look, I think that you know somebody is going to figure this thing out. You know, why should I You know, maybe I should, I should go out into the street, But like you know, eventually it's going to be okay, or maybe that it's the species will survive one way or the other. But if you are a pessimist, you think humanity is probably going to be wiped out. Uh, your motivation is a little bit higher. It doesn't mean that it will be wiped out. You're a pessimist.
Speaker 1: And that's why pessimism at least gives you the the ability to come up with a place.
Speaker 2: It's it's a sobering way of sort of understanding reality and change and how things happen. That's saying like there's actually a great Dutch philosopher, contemporary Dutch philosopher, nam Mara vander Lud, who has an expression that I kind of stole from her. She talks about hopeful pessimism, and hopeful is is this idea that things will probably get worse, but that you need to you need to find hope within that, within that sort of bubble that opens up, you know, in that word, probably you know that like he needs to do the good things.
Speaker 1: Like the old John McCain joke, it's always darkest before it goes completely black.
Speaker 2: A little bit. It's more than like you should do that. You should do the good that you can do right now, and maybe not worry about whether or not we're going to save humanity, because like that's a question that you can't answer in any case. But you know that, like right now there's something that you can do. And that to me is is that that's what hopeful passimism is.
Speaker 1: Now, we talked a little bit about satire and funny, but that I mean to me, you know, I've always viewed humor and satire as a way to talk to a larger audience. That that's ultimately, you know, I think the South Park guys are probably our best satirists, and satirists are different than comedians. Satirists sometimes don't make you laugh right right, you know, but they're going to point, they're going to do something so absurd that you're like, it takes it back, right, And the south Park boys, I've always thought, capture that spirit of satire that is uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Right. It's also it's also just like, I mean, I use the word reverence a lot. It's like it's just so over the top sometimes, right, I mean talk about South Park.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're very over the top, but it's intentional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're taking the like, you know, it's not just let's do the King naked, Like, let's do the King naked?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll do one that's not even political. I think the remember the human iPad if they that, I don't know how much you watch it, but the idea was, what do you mean you didn't you just accepted without reading the terms and conditions. Well, now Apple can use you as the first iPad the absurdity, But that was the point if like, do you know what you're reading right right?
Speaker 2: Well, I think absurdity is the right word because there's also and this is actually very very old. This is a very old mode, is to flip things upside down to create like such absurd it's a carnivalesque. You know, it's the it's the one day a year you know in the Middle Ages where men with dress as women, women as men, poor people as rich feal richual as poor people, you know, throwing the world into disarray in a way that that makes you actually question the taken for granted, you say, well, would do things have to be this way? Do we have to have these crazy uh, you know contracts that we sign, Like what is that about? Like it's these things that you don't actually think about that you just assume our a natural part of our world. That what humor does, is it it defloes that it says, you know, it says, let's look at it from this totally other angle. And uh, I mean, you know, there was even I was reading in the in the seventeenth century, there were these like posters when when printing press became more popular, there were posters of like, you know, the world in which uh, you know, cats were chasing mice or like ox were butchering the butchers, and you know, the authorities would confiscate these because they saw it as threatening the idea that people would do, Yeah, that they would have this almost like revolutionary sense of things don't have to be in the current order, they can be different.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about your advice about being reckless, right, because reckless, I mean this is you know, recklessness can backfire if you do it wrong. Yeah, So why why is it? Why is it an attribute that you think is the mark of a successful dission? Maybe it is the better way?
Speaker 2: Well it was, I mean, you know, that chapter was actually the hardest for me to write because I just felt like I needed to wrestle with this idea of you know, if we're going to take we're going to take this to its ultimate conclusion, that dissonance often you know, put their bodies on the line, put their lives on the line in order to make in order to make the injustice that they're trying to illustrate perfectly clear.
Speaker 1: And this is the metaphor of handcuffing yourself to the tree that's going to get chopped down. Sure you have to chop me down with it, right, yeah?
Speaker 2: Or I mean, you know, you know I have in the chapter I talk about the children in Birmingham, Alabama, nineteen sixty three and the decision, you know, which was a very you know, we don't we see it now with such a successful campaign, actually that we don't know that. Behind the scenes, King was tormented about this. He said, what do you mean put six year olds in front of you know, dogs and water cannons, even though he knew that what it would do would illustrate, you know, his point, He would illustrate the brutality of segregation in that city in a way that nobody could dispute. Nobody with a heart who was watching it could dispute. On the other hand, I mean, they were lucky nobody got hurt, but somebody could have very well been hurt. So how do you what is the calculus there? How do you understand when it makes sense and when it doesn't make sense?
Speaker 1: Is it a strategy? Do you view reckless?
Speaker 2: And it?
Speaker 1: I mean you have to be strategic with it, because one would argue if it's strategic, it's no longer reckless.
Speaker 2: No, it can be a strategy. I mean it's certainly a strategy for King. But I think what you have to you have to know, you know, is that it's not about uh, it's not self destruction that you're not doing. It is kind of a martyrology, you know, as a way to that that it's sort of outward focused. Actually, the fact that there is a strategy is I would say a good aspect of recklessness, because you know, there aren't people who just become so enmeshed in the moral purpose that they feel that they're pursuing they lose they lose track of strategy and they actually just want to and they set themselves on fire. Right, they would do something like that to prove their point. I don't think that that's always the right thing to do, or maybe ever the right thing to do. But you know, another complicated example from that chapter one that I really actually touched me in a real way. It was Navalny, who he's mentioned before. You know, he had already been poisoned once by Putin, so nearly killed, was saved when to Germany, and then had to make a decision was he going to go back to Russia. Now, think about how hard that decision is. You know, he, on the one hand, if he's going to be true to his cause and actually if he's going to set the example that he wants to set for his people, for Russians. He kind of has to go back, but he knows that he's going to die to death. Yeah, Putin's not going to let him live. He'll let him you know, the best case scenario, he's in prison for the next for the rest of his you know, of Putin's reign. And uh. And this is a guy who has kids, he has young kids, he's got a wife. You know, he's a guy full of life. I don't know if you've.
Speaker 1: How would you have judged him if he chose not to go back. I mean, I mean, how much more I could argue how much more did he have to give to the cause? Right? But he did it anyway, right, he had already give it, you know, almost sacrificed himself. And and and he had every right to say I'm gonna let somebody else take the next hit, or or do what.
Speaker 2: He was doing from exile, you know, I mean he was. I mean, social media was his tool he could have you know, kept it's quite effective, a thorn in the side of Putin. But I think that he really understood the need to go back as a kind of Actually, he wasn't even you know when you read his memoir, I don't know what it was like in his head, but when you read his memoir he talks about it is not even complicated. He said, what else could I do? Like I made a promise to the Russian people, and if I have convictions, then I have to follow through my convictions. Otherwise who am I now? I don't know. We can all sort of like dream that we could have such you know, these have such a moral core. But but I think for him, when you ask how I would judge him, it's the question is more how he would judge himself. And I think that he really wouldn't be able to live with himself. To go back to that Hannah.
Speaker 1: R End question, Well, he in some ways fits better in the immortal than the idea of that be immortal.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, no, And I actually come back to him chapter because because he.
Speaker 1: For me, this is the Obi wan Kenobi piece brea me down. I become more powerful than you can imagine. Right, that's the great Star Wars line. And there is something to that, right, like you know you got to you you kill you kill one of these leaders, and you actually could end up elevating the cause. Yeah, And that they couldn't do in life.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's sort of what he had accepted. I really do. I think he understood that, like he was probably going to die and that it would serve the purpose of his cause, you know. And uh, and I think it's because he you know, when you mentioned the immortal I think what I was trying to describe in that chapter is this sort of this this this duality that dissonants often have. I mean King had it too, which is that they they both are are are sort of operating at this at this higher level of principle and values you could call them. Sometimes those values are religious values. I mean they were for Navalney in some respect, they were for King as well. Sometimes it's just like a sense of justice, like a deep, deep sense of justice. Sometimes it's a sense of you know, life, death and the cycles of just how the world works. But they're they're tuned into that, they're tuned into it in a deep way at the same time that their feet are sort of firmly grounded. So they're trying to do their work here on earth. They're trying to actually I mean, if only you know, I had this great religious sort of virtuous feeling that he was he was being righteous and what he was doing, but he was also talking about the education system in Russia, the corruption. I mean, most of his work was about, you know, looking at how Putin and his circle were, you know, stealing money, enriching themselves. I mean, these are very earthly things he was he was focused on on on the on the reality that he wanted to change, but he was also tapping into the sort of greater righteousness of doing that work. So and you know, these aren't unique individuals. I mean, I think I try to establish early on in the book that like I'm looking at them as almost like north stars. You know, these are people who live, but will you know, have these qualities. And I'm not I'm not suggesting small significant person that I am that I could you know, wake up tomorrow and become a dissident and act like one. But it somehow felt like right to try to understand, like what are those qualities, like what actually what actually makes up that personality, because maybe that would give me and readers like a sense of, you know, things to strive for.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Soul. So if you love that end of the day unwined, but hate the hangover. Souls out of Office is for you. These sparkling THHC drinks and dummies give you the same relax social feeling without the alcohol, without the calories, and without the crash. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious hemp derived THCHC and CBD products designed to boost your mood and help you unwind. Their best selling out of Office Gummies were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood, and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe. So also has a variety of products specifically designed to help you get a better night's rest, including their top selling Sleepy Gummies, a fan favorite for deep, restorous sleep.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: I have made no secret, I am a believer in this stuff, in cannabis and hemp derived. I do not partake in alcohol. For the most part, I think this stuff is a lot safer than alcohol, a lot less addictive than alcohol. And yes, I have to say I love these drinks. It is the glass of wine and you know, after work, that's what this is. So no hangover and no excess calories like this. I'm a big fan, So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to Sold today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. Go to getsol dot com and use the word podcast that's getsold dot com promo code podcast for thirty percent off. And yes, I too, am a customer. So I want to bring this to sort of back to America. Yeah, please, because on one hand, look, we're not we're not anywhere in the situation that Russians are in. But we've had we've seen some co opting of institutions, right, whether it's media organizations, universities capitulating to the state. You know, maybe it's setting in a lawsuit, maybe it's trying to get government funding from being cut. That's obviously not behaving as a dissipance, right if you work at it, Right, if you work at one of those organizations. But are they arms of the state or are they just simply making compromises under pressure that many a good person might make under the similar circumstances. I mean, that is what do I do with those folks?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: They it goes to the people that didn't want to be Nazis but complied, Well.
Speaker 2: This book is for them. Yeah, because no, I mean that was a big reason why I felt impelled to write this, because I saw that capitulation, and I think, probably like you, I was sort of struck by how quick it happened and how widespread it was.
Speaker 1: I'm still so upset. A look, I obviously I care about the press first. That's where you know, the decision to settle the Stephanopolis lawsuit is the single biggest mistake I think that mister Iger has ever made. I fully understand that the CEO of Disney had to make a decision. Yeah, yeah, he made a decision that was in the best interests of Disney. Yeah, and it absolutely destroyed, I think, corporate ownership of media going forward for the foreseeable future. It put a stain on it that is going to be you know, it's look, it's turned into an opportunity for some of us that are now in the independent space, but it has made it where it's impossible to ever think about going back because you cannot find yourself being a journalist and feeling. And I wonder how many academics feel this way. If you don't believe the institution you work for will fight for your right to do the job from the best of your abilities, then you'd rather be on your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I think that's absolutely true. I think you know, so many of those examples of universities and law firms, you know, and and people in the federal government who were forced into impossible positions but then decided to just keep their head down, you know, I I am.
Speaker 1: And there's good rationales for them to do it. There are people that need to get their funds. There are people that you know, of course, there's the road that hell is paved with good intentions, right, and you know that's gonna say.
Speaker 2: But I'm of course there are good reasons. But I'm telling you there are good reasons for people in you know, Stalin's Russia to know, you know, to look the other way when much worse things were happening, and and so you then you start to wonder, like where is the line, you know, like where is the line where people feel that it's not just uh something that they can you know, justify to themselves as okay, well, it's this one time thing, and you know, it's not gonna have a it's not gonna have a ripple effect. Everyone has to find that line in themselves. And I think that's everyone has to sort of. I think what made me want to think about this question is because I think those people weren't prepared. I think there's people weren't prepared to act in good conscience because We've never been faced with a situation like that.
Speaker 1: It's always another country that has this, we believe it. Wow, how did that happen? That happened really fast? How did that happen right?
Speaker 2: Right? And and I and I mean think about when the Ukraine War started and all those people left Russia, you know, overnight or some of them did, you know, because they said, I just can't be here anymore, you know. So I know those people. Maybe we're more prepared than Americans to be forced to make more of those kind of moral choices. And so I I think, you know, I feel sympathy to some extent because I don't think people were prepared, but I think we are now. I think we've learned something over the last year. I think when Ice entered Minneapolis, you know, Grants it a different context than being Bob Biger. But I think people were not political people, not lefties, not people. You know, we look at the people who sort of took a stand. They did feel like they had a choice they had to make, and I think that that is something, maybe something we've learned over the last year and a half, that that being a citizen in this country does sometimes demand a hard choice.
Speaker 1: You're getting at something that we went on and I'm going to you know, we're about the same age, our generation sort of everything kept you know, you know, I entered adulthood with the Berlin Wall falling. We won, we had won the argument, right, like, okay, so boy, this is going to be great. How quickly are we going to be spreading a version of democracy all over the world?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And it was really moving in Eastern Europe and it was really moving all over and shoot, you know, I I you know, up until about ten years ago, I'd have been convinced China was, you know, oh, welcome to having a middle class China. Just trust me. Democracy is coming whether you want it or not. You know, because the middle class has demands. You know, wherever you have a middle class, you're going to have Uh, you're you're going to almost have a forced democracy at some point. Uh, and then it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I I think that's why. You know, And when I when I took about this book with dissidents in other countries or with people just people in other countries, they at laugh and they're like.
Speaker 1: I know I've had these Yeah, now you understands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's true. I had to go back to you know, I was thinking about an American context, you know, but of course there are differences.
Speaker 1: Look, there's King, there's Susan B. Anthony, there's certainly plenty.
Speaker 2: Of Macarthy era. You know. You know, you think about people on the you know, the blacklist, and you know, how do you respond? You know, if somebody comes to your to your office and starts asking you to name names, what are you going to do? But that was before, long before us, you know, that was not the world that we grew up.
Speaker 1: That was our previous edit. We took care of that, right, you know, we we sort of wiped all that clean, you know, with with the whole you know, the bacle of Vietnam and Watergate. We realized, oh, you can't, can't do that anymore right and right yet Nope, And.
Speaker 2: That and I think the thing that I hadn't really fully contended with in terms of what that meant for us, for our generation and for people who kind of come came up when we did, is the individual aspect of like the choice that it would sort of impose. And I keep using this for choice, but I think that's what felt new to me, was like, Oh, I have to actually decide what my relationship is to this government, uh and to this and to this society and to the people around me. Am I going to care when something happens to my to my neighbors? Am I going to do something about it? I haven't actually ever been forced into that position before, you know, So I think I think understanding it at the individual level is important for people to well.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things I remember. My first trip to Israel was in the early two thousands, two thousand and four, two thousand and five, and my immediate takeaway was everybody here understands its citizenship is active, it's work. And it was the bit and I realized, and this was on had piggybacked. I'd done a trip to Cuba about the year or two earlier and where I understood how how the government oppression works. When I saw kids coming home with bread to bring to mom and dad, to reinforce the nature that the state provided mom and dad doesn't provide, right, So you started to see and it was just sometimes you have to just as you know. It made me a better reporter to be around and visually you understand these things. And I realized in our country we had become passive citizens. Yeah, right now, there is an upside to the Trump era. It's been the highest voter turnout we've had one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I attributed to when you when you when the stakes are higher, we more people get engaged. And maybe that's a net positive in the medium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think that's it's funnier. The thing that's reminding me of is a is the day after Trump's first win, I had I have two little girls who were you know, like six and nine then or somewhere around those ages, you know, and they, like a lot of us, they went to bed thinking that they were going to wake up and see the first woman.
Speaker 1: First girl president. That was my daughter. My daughter was well, I thank you, and she was in tears. What do you mean we don't have a woman president?
Speaker 2: And they said, well, I said, well, don't worry, I'll wake you up nights. You could see, you know, it's enough. And in the morning they came to me and and they were like in tears, and they were and and and I think the only thing that I could pull out of that was also because like you know, we'd come to think of Trump as this completely unanged character who you know, and for them, in their young minds, what would it mean to have somebody, you know, who was president who acted like the way that they had, you know, come to understand he was acted? And I said, the metaphor, the only metaphor I could grab, although it's kind of a horrible metaphors, I said, you know, think of it. We were like we were sitting in the backseat of a car and there was the president who was driving the car, and we kind of trusted that, like you know, maybe we didn't agree with him always, but that he would basically, you know, you know, do you know, keep keep keep his eyes on the road, you know, and get us there and get us to where we need to go. And we could kind of relax in the back seat and have conversations amongst ourselves. I was like, well, that's not the case. Now we have to sit up in our seats. We have to watch the driver, we have to make sure that he's not hitting the potholes, and we have to I mean, it's kind of a terrifying metaphor.
Speaker 1: No, often's funny. I have used that metaphour of saying, if America were a vehicle, we'd be led by a drunk driver, right, which is like he kind of knows the direction to go, but he might swerve into crazy places or fall asleep, fall asleep at the wheel, you have no idea where we're headed. And it's sort of no, I've I've butchered that metaphor myself or analogy or whatever whatever is the correct form of that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I agree that I think I think that I've seen it in my own sort of social world, and and I do think, you know, to come back to things like No King's Day or Minneapolis, I think we've actually become more sophisticated as a country when it comes to protest. I think that you know, we've something I've seen in Trump two point zero is that you know, we don't believe that we should just have like the one big massive demonstration, you know, in Washington, and then it's over. It's this notion that we need to build networks of of people who are engaged, involved doing like what those folks are doing in Hungary, you know, finding ways to connect and care about local issues. You know, I'm not saying this is happening perfectly, but I think that that is the path towards that more engaged citizenship. It's to sort of understand that it's a slow process of connecting way.
Speaker 1: This is the most important lesson to take away from your book, I believe. And it happens to dovetail with a project that I'm involved in. It it's about some boring electoral reform. When I say boring, right, it's not the sexiest thing. But you know, there's sort of there are things you can deal with now, and then there's things you've got to deal with that will make things better in the next thirty years. But it's going to take time, and it maybe you have to start one state here, then maybe you get to hear and then maybe a party adopts it, or maybe there's this yeah, and is that how do you and there isn't a straight line to success. It is. It's plotting along. It's plotting along. It seems hopeless until it isn't right. And in fact, you may not live for when it happens. You may die before it happened.
Speaker 2: That's pessimism, Chuck.
Speaker 1: But you still believe it. It's going to happen. I just may not be here to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got it.
Speaker 1: I think the hardest thing because Americans want change yesterday right right, and in fact we want change so badly we keep voting for it. We vote this century. Whichever party is the new is running on Hey, we're not them in power. We're different. They won't they're winning, right. It's almost like it's a bit, you know, and at some point the voter is going to say, well, wait a minute, we're now windshield wipers and neither one of you get it, and maybe we have to wear ourselves out. And you know, that's what happened in the mid nineteen century, and finally a third party came along named the Republican Party, and Lincoln and Loan behold here we are. You know, maybe that's what I did. I don't know, but one of the things you preach in this book, but more so in your previous book, is that it takes time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but all I'm and and and that's hard in our world today because you know, there is this unfortunate constant speeding up and a constant search for you know, immediate gratification and metrics, and you know, there is there is a countervailing force to this, to the to this quiet, slow process that is so hard to challenge. You have to do it deliberatively. You have to do it, you know, consciously, and it's but it's the the only thing that works, you know, otherwise you do get exactly what you're describing. It's sort of like sea sawing that appeals to our basest instincts. You know that we want the thing that we want right now, and then okay, we want the opposite thing. And then you know, and what I see, I mean, I'm not saying anything that's that new, you know, but when when I see social media and the sort of what social media sort of biases us towards in terms of the way we communicate, that's the thing that worries me the most because I feel like it robs us of that slow, deliberate process, which which we need to all get on the same page to figure out how to meet the bigger challenges. But yeah, that is I think that is the thing.
Speaker 1: Somebody reading your book, let me get you out of here in this Somebody reading your book or listening to this interview. Yeah, they're a mid level staffer. Maybe they're in a government agency. Maybe they maybe they serve in the military, Maybe they work at a university, maybe they work at a major news organization. What should they learn from your book? If they want to do something but they're not sure what to do.
Speaker 2: I think. I think first, if they're putt in a position that they feel gives them that moral nausea, sit with the moral nausea, don't you know, sort of swipe it away or pretend that it's not something that's actually bossed doing it. Yes. Second, I would say, understand that you have a choice that you know you don't have to conform, and and really ask yourself the question that essential question, can I live with myself if I'm forced to do something that violates some sort of core principle that I have. There's something that's going to hurt other people, or something that you know that that is going to make me feel like I have given up some essential agency that I think that I should have as a human being in this world. So live with that choice, still with the uncomfortableness, live with the choice, and then make a choice. And I say this, even if the choice is that you've decided not to do anything, understand it as a choice. You understand way out. Okay, Well, on the one end, I have my family and my kids and my livelihood, and I really can't sacrifice that because it's going to be hurting them, and hurting them is you know I would I would rather not hurt them, you know, as opposed to sort of take a stand you know that I need to take.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I mean it goes to the Navaalney exercise that we just did, right, which is which is he'd have gotten a zero criticism for making the choice of that. Yeah, yeah, he'd already given a lot. So and then I guess there's no shame. There's no shame in that, but you do have to live with it.
Speaker 2: And the third thing, and this is the hardest actually to sort of wrap my own head around, is like the notion that you need to act for its own sake because you think it's the right thing to do, and not because of the result that it will bring. That's hard, Like it's hard to say I'm going to act on behalf of let's say, climate change because it brought it up earlier, even though I think that probably the world is going to warm by two degrees and we're all gonna, you know, die, Like, I still need to do the thing that I think is the right thing to do. So that that not being able, that that ability to tell yourself that you're acting because you know that it's the right thing to do and not because of the of you know what it will Tangibly, the tangible metrics is is something that's important to sort of accept, but to just be positive about it. I also want to say that when I talk about those moral choices, they're burdens obviously, Like it's a burden to open the newspaper and to see a dying child and to say, oh shit, now I have to actually do something thing about it. Right. But and this I kind of took from Jean Paul sart Or, the French philosopher. He talks about moral choices as being creative acts. This is the substance from which our lives are made. Are these acts? Are these choices, these decisions that we make about how we're going to live our life. You know, that mid level person who you're talking about, he's going to be you know, he's going to look back at his life in his eighties and he's going to remember. He's going to remember that moment where he was asked to, you know, to do a thing that just violated every sense of sort of conscience that he has, and it's not going to make him feel good about the kind of life that he lived.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say that I said this to others. Any every dying person I've ever been around, never talks about the things they did, Yeah, always talk about the things they didn't do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So gaal, Look man, it's a no. One's saying this was easy reading, but it was is. And I don't mean that like it wasn't well written. It's not that, but please no, what I mean is it's a it's a good read.
Speaker 2: But it it may it.
Speaker 1: It forced, It forces your own reckoning as you read. Yeah, that's all because I think that's the and that's the point. Put yourself understand. Here's some here's some people in similar situations, or here's people that and here's how they handled it, and here's where they're and and look you have the everybody you profiled in some ways were successful. The question is did they know they were successful in the moment. That's true, that they were a choice. And I think the answer is no, none of them.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, they still did it.
Speaker 1: And they still did it. Well, congrats. The book came out this month.
Speaker 2: Right, it's coming out on the twenty twenty. First.
Speaker 1: Yes, people will be hearing this just before it comes out, so it'll be perfect, excellent how to be a dissident in an election year. But is it one of the rules for radicals? Is this an updated version? I mean you like the comparison or do you not like the comparison?
Speaker 2: No, No, I like the comparison. I thought that. I think that book is a fantastic look radical sort of gives it a I remember I always remember Nut gang Rich used to throw around Sawlolensky's name with this.
Speaker 1: Color the right loves. I think the right used more Sololensky advice than the left ever did.
Speaker 2: Right, that's all right, right, No, I mean that that book is all about preparing the ground it's about uh, not looking for easy victories. I mean he was. Solinsky was responding to Vietnam War protests, and he thought, you've gotten You're at the last act. You gotta do Act one and two. You got to like, you got to lead up to it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well anyway, well congrats and look now your voice will get better for the rest of it. Thank you, Thank you, Ga