Speaker 1: Welcome to a good Game with Sarah Spain, where we are rejoicing that WNBA sponsor Google has finally adjusted the WNBA standings so they aren't divided by conference.
Speaker 2: WNBA conference is me nothing, Okay, Commissioner's Cup standings, but that's it.
Speaker 1: Shout out to producer Alex for noticing and posting about it back in twenty twenty four, and Sports Viz Queen Alison Gaile for making it happen better late than never. It's Thursday, August sixth and on today's show, North Carolina Courage and Canadian national team goalie Caylin Sheridan joins us to talk about what really happened during her final few months at the San Diego Wave, how the Courage welcomed her to the squad and made her feel valued, what the Courage need to do to stay in the playoff hunt, and how Team Canada is preparing for major upcoming international competitions.
Speaker 2: In the wake of the twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Drone Gate, plus former stars returned to the field, the screen, and the court, a debut for one Hooper, and New York hopes to find new heights. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back, slaces. Here's what you need to know today. Starting with soccer, the NWSL twenty twenty seven season schedule is now official and last week's league was accurate. The season will start earlier than usual with the Challenge Cup on February sixth. The game between the previous season shield winner and championship winner returns to its preseason slot after twenty twenty six's game was played mid season. The regular season kicks off on February eleventh. In a press release, the league said the season opener in Los Angeles is strategically placed to coincide with Super Bowl weekend and maximize the league's visibility during one of the biggest moments on the American sports calendar. And of course, the season is starting extra early because there will be a nearly two month pause to accommodate the FIFA Women's World Cup. Each team will still play thirty regular season games, with the final regular season games aka Decision Day on October thirty. FIRSTSL League Commissioner Jessica Berman held a mid season press conference on Wednesday, and among other things, Berman announced the launch of NWSL Foundation, a nonprofit quote to advance the health and longevity of women athletes by supporting women's health research and convening and coordinating the women's Athletic Health Research ecosystem.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: That's according to a job description now seeking applicants for the executive director of the new org currently listed on the league website. If you're looking for more info and want to apply. Berman also touched on the league's policy for trans athletes. When asked about the absence of one by a reporter, she reiterated the NWSL's line of quote, our policy is our practice, and she added that quote, every player who plays in this league has been determined to be eligible, and we're continuing to apply that on a consistent basis end quote.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this on the show before.
Speaker 1: It feels like right now, in this moment, continuing to be inclusive without putting that policy in black and white might actually be the best thing for the NWSL. So I understand the policy is our practice line more and more. The commissioner also confirmed that a second league division is still actively under consideration, but offered no update on the timeline or structure.
Speaker 2: More Soccer.
Speaker 1: Former US women's national team star Tobin Heath has signed a contract with the Portland Thorns.
Speaker 2: All right, don't get too excited. The deal is just a symbolic one.
Speaker 1: The Thorns announced on Tuesday that Heath signed a one day contract with the club so she can officially retire as a member of the team where she established herself as a club icon over seven seasons. Heath represented the Rose City from twenty thirteen to twenty twenty, helping the Thorns lift two NWSL championships in twenty thirteen and twenty seventeen. She actually announced her retirement last summer, a few years after suffering what turned out to be a career ending knee injury during game for her NWSL club, the Seattle Rain. The Thorns will host an on field pre match ceremony to recognize Heath at Providence Park on Saturday, August twenty second, when the Thorns played Denver sum At FC to another former US women's national team legend friend of the Show, Meghan Rappino, is starring in a new documentary called Rappino from production company Story Syndicate. A post from the company on Instagram reads, in part quote, through unflinching intimacy, we share Repino's rise from world champion to outspoken icon, revealing the profound personal cost and inner transformation behind every battle she chose to wage.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: The world premiere of the doc will be at the Toronto Film Festival in September. Keep in the legend theme going, but this one is Unretired tennis goat Serena Williams is stepping back onto the court to play doubles with her sister Venus at the Cincinnati Open next week. Organizers announced on Monday the pair had received a wildcard entry into the doubles field. This will mark the first time the sisters have played a doubles match together since twenty twenty two. They were supposed to make their return to the court at Wimbledon earlier this summer, but had to withdraw after Serena sustained a knee injury in an earlier singles match. Venus also earned a singles main draw wild card into the event. Competition starts a week from today on August thirteenth, to hoops. Anissamorro played her first game for the Toronto Tempo on Tuesday night, after being traded from the Connecticut's on last week. The Tempo lost to the Golden State Valkyries ninety two eighty one, but Marrow put up eight points and got five rebounds, playing sixteen minutes off the bench. She also picked up a flagrant one foul in the third quarter, her first of the season, when she elbowed Kaylea Thornton in the neck and jaw area during a spin move. More w few games to put on your calendar tonight. First up, at seven pm Eastern, the Las Vegas Aces travel to Gainbridge to take on the Indiana Fever. Then at nine pm Eastern and the La Sparks are on the road to play the Minnesota Links. Finally catch the expansion teams going head to head in Portland when the Fire hosts the Toronto Tempo at ten pm Eastern. Even More w we told you at the start of the week about the pregame on court conversation between Minnesota Links head coach Cheryl Reeve and Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham. As a reminder, Reeves showed up to that game wearing a trans Kids Belonged T shirt, and Cunningham had inspired several pregame rallies at recent Fever games after recently advocating for the exclusion of trans athletes and girls and women's sports. We heard coach Reeves take on the conversation. Now Cunningham is sharing her side. Here's what she said Wednesday morning.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know, she just came up, and you know, I respect her for coming up in person. I think a lot of people high behind screens and love that type of thing. She had stories about her point of view, and I had stories about my point of view, and we left with love and respect, and I think that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: In case you missed it, Cunningham post for photos with anti transcrifter and one time fifth place swimmer Riley Gaines before that game against the Links. We'll see if Gaines or other Cunningham supporters continue the practice of gathering at tonight's game in Indianapolis to the Women's Professional Baseball League. The first full week of games are underway at the league's inaugural season home field, Robin Roberts Stadium in Springfield, Illinois. Tonight, the New York Heights and the San Francisco Fire Bells meet for the first time at seven thirty pm Eastern. New York will be looking for their first franchise win after losing to LA in the season opener. Saan Fran, on the other hand, is coming off a win after beating the Boston Hunters eleven to three earlier this week. If you're in the States, you can watch tonight's game on ESPN Select or the Scripts Sports Network, and folks outside the US can watch on YouTube. Thanks to loyal Maple Bacon Slice Marcus Sisson for lending us know that yes, up in Canada, you'll be able to get those games on YouTube. We're going to take a break when we come back from San Diego, California to carry North Carolina. We take a journey with Kayln Sheridan and just to set the scene of where Caylen's mind was when we spoke. We chatted a few days after the nc Courage lost to the Utah Royals last week, their third straight loss. But since then, Sheridan squad got back in the win column with a resounding five mil defeat of the Orlando Pride, and the Courage just played the Denver Summit last night. But we're recording this before the final whistle. Okay back in.
Speaker 4: A second.
Speaker 2: Joining us now.
Speaker 1: She's a goalie for the NWSL's North Carolina Courage and the Canada National Team. A Pickering, Ontario native, she played her college soccer at Clemson. A twenty twenty gold medalist with Team Canada, twenty twenty two Goalkeeper of the Year with the San Diego Wave. Mom to Skyla Ray, she once turned up to a Team Canada dinner dressed head to toe as Buddy the Elf and I once talked shit to her from behind the goal at Soldier Field and all it did was make her even better.
Speaker 2: It's Kaylen Sheridan.
Speaker 5: Hi, Kaylin, Hi, thank you so much for having me and bringing back Buddy.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually want to start there because I have watched that video so many times.
Speaker 2: You were not just in full character.
Speaker 1: You embodied Buddy the Elf right down to the absurd escalator behavior. So I'm wondering if this was a one off or if we were to dive into your camera reel. Are there videos and photos of you in other ridiculous costumes.
Speaker 5: Well, then we did Gringe the next year, so there's definitely a couple costume videos. Buddy the Elf was such a hit, so we decided to go for something else. So I don't know, maybe I'll have to do it again this year. Yeah, obviously those two are so iconic and they're funny and I feel related to them.
Speaker 4: In a way.
Speaker 2: Can we do a Jack Skellington.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, that sounds like pressure.
Speaker 2: What was the impetus for this?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Why were you dressed up for this team dinner?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Well, usually camp kind of falls right before Christmas, right at the beginning of the month of December, and we always have like a fun opportunity to have like a quote unquote Christmas dinner together in camp, and we have like a fun gift game and you know, just something to bring the team together in camp. And we always were like ugly sweaters and I was like, this is kind of getting boring for me, Like I'm just over the ugly sweater thing. But you know, I really relate to Buddy the Elf and I understand him, and I just feel like we need to bring him out and have a little fun with it. And we were at home in Vancouver that year, I think so just made it a little bit easier.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the girls loved it. It was just such a hit.
Speaker 1: I mean, you really committed, which I appreciate as someone who wears a lot of costumes and really commits.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, then I'm going to need some suggestions from you, and I have plenty and.
Speaker 1: Help because Okay, I have an annual Christmas party and it used to be ugly sweater and then I was like, this is boring.
Speaker 2: So then I started to expand We're on to.
Speaker 1: Like thirteen Thannuel, So I've got a whole bevy of costume opportunities to share with you.
Speaker 4: We's got a separate closet of Christmas costumes.
Speaker 1: Yes, this year, I actually dressed as a nutcracker and I made my husband be a giant nut and I made the costume myself, So that's iconic. Yeah, Okay, let's get to the real stuff, because we got to talk some soccer. Your North Carolina courage. Middle of the table. We're talking to in a bit of a slide. So what would you say has gone wrong the last couple matches?
Speaker 2: In your opinion?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we're in a bit of a down right now, but we were on a high before and I think we can get back there. I do think that last week's performance was probably one of the strongest we've had, even than the result didn't show that, it really gave us a lot of confidence and a lot of pride in how we've been building as a team in the direction that we're going. And I think it's just one maybe getting a little luck quote unquote luck maybe from support that somebody in the middle in a different color might be able.
Speaker 4: To help us with.
Speaker 5: And I think also just a little bit of that last little bit of finishing touch in the box, both on the defensive and offensive sides, Like we just need to lock it down a little bit more and behind and be more ruthless, and then finishing wise, we just need to we need to score some goals and get our front players feeling that confidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would you say you need to improve upon to get back on the right track that you were feeling before.
Speaker 5: I think we just need a little bit of momentum in our way. I think honestly, when we start to feel like something's going well, you can kind of see a shift in our group and everything kind of starts to fall into place for us. So I think I need to bring that in a way in the back and I think we need to see some goals going in and just feel that, Okay, we're still in this moment where we kind of prove to ourselves that we were there because the performance, like I said last week, the girls were so incredible and the intensity was there, and it's just that those last little bits that need to fall into place for us. And it's a pretty young and pretty new team in a way, so those things will come together.
Speaker 1: Is there someone on the team, or maybe more than one person that are kind of like the hype girls, the ones that you rely on to get that energy up and to remind people like we got this and then kind of try to ride that wave.
Speaker 4: We kind of shared that role.
Speaker 5: I think I have my moments of hype, and especially when my back lines doing something great, I love to give them all the flowers and really give them any confidence that I can. I know Ali Schlegel is good at that. She's a positive and she reinforces those positive behaviors as much as she can, and she just has that kind of aura about her. But I think everybody kind of has their moments. I know Danny kind of keeps that left side positive, keeps it the vibes going. So I think everybody kind of just finds their own moment, finds the opportunity when they're feeling maybe a little bit more confident where they can pass it off. And that's really the important piece of being in a team. You can't always rely on one person for everything. It's really helpful when you have a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Leaders in a way. Danny Weatherhole, yeah, Danny Weatherhole, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's gone well this season?
Speaker 1: Because you are in the middle, you are in fighting contention for a playoff spot, Like, what are you guys doing well?
Speaker 5: I do think that when you know things having gone well for us, we have found a way to kind of adjust in training and come back and we go into the next game and we've we've fixed the thing that maybe we weren't doing so well before.
Speaker 4: So there's a big learning curve.
Speaker 5: But I think the time between each not really mistake but thing that we want to fix, the time has gotten smaller and smaller to when we see the result of and we see the production of it on the field. And we have had some incredible individual performances. I think Ashley Sanchez has been on fire. I mean she at the beginning of the year just decided to make sure that everybody remembered her name and put her in the contention and remind Emma you know that she's there and ready to fight.
Speaker 1: Emma Hayes and the US women's national team trying to catch the eye ahead of some pretty big international events coming up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's massive, and I think she's kind of been out for a little while, and I'm really proud to see how hard she's been working, and you know, just meeting her in the last six months, seven months and then seeing the amount of work that's gone into it and everything that she's doing to fight and keep herself in like top form, it's really impressive and you know, it's really cool to see. So individual performances like that have definitely helped, and I think that we'll continue to see the team evolve in the direction we want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ashley Sanchez currently third in the Golden Boot race, so she is absolutely keeping her name in people's mouths and minds as this second half releague that's going.
Speaker 2: What's coach mack Linde, Like, what's his style?
Speaker 4: He's it's hard to explain. He's kind of an enigma.
Speaker 5: He kind of has this like tough exterior, like this kind of broody, dark kind of guy, but he's such a teddy bear and he's just like so supportive and wants the best for his players, wants to support his players and and help anybody really in the in the group improve and succeed. I do think that he holds us to a high standard and he's not gonna, you know, let us get away with anything. So, you know, within this last three weeks, he's definitely been getting onto us and pushing us and making sure that we continue to you know, put our foot down and you know, hit the gas a bit and put some more effort in, more intensity in. But he also knows how to communicate with us, which I really appreciate, and I think that's gone a long way within the group. It's a hard job to be a head coach, and I wouldn't want to do it right now. It's not within my purview.
Speaker 2: Maybe later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 5: Require some skill and some ability to both be like intelligent and smart within the game and a really good people person who is able to communicate and not just explain your theories in your mind, but kind of communicate in a way that's supportive but also makes people want to run through a brick wall for you. And that's really really hard to find both. I feel like I've had coaches who are brilliant and cannot communicate, and I've had coaches who are great communicators, but maybe we're just they need some support on the soccer side, and I do think that he has both and it's really cool to see and be a part of.
Speaker 4: And you know, he does make you want to work for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always found the coaches that I liked best were the ones that I was not worried about making mad so much as I was worried about disappointing. I wanted to do well to make them proud more so than I wanted to avoid their wrath.
Speaker 2: And there's that fine line there, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think athletes are always like, if you're mad at me, I can just run through mad like no problem. But when you really respect somebody and you trust their opinion in their insight, you want to do everything to make them proud.
Speaker 4: It's it's kind of like a father figure, like.
Speaker 2: A totally or mother figure. On the rare account, we have women.
Speaker 4: Coaches exactly, We're getting there, man, It's.
Speaker 1: Kind of I know, I want to know how often you're looking at the table, because you know there is a hard line there you're in or you're out. And when you're in the middle of the pack, like y'all are how much do you think like, okay, three games slide, like we got to get back up, or we can't let this keep happening, or we're going to slide below Like how much are you at actually watching that or does that not happen until further down the line.
Speaker 4: I think it's different for everyone.
Speaker 5: I think the coaches are definitely watching it, and some of the players are watching it. I personally will check in every once in a while and try not to let it affect my training and my mindset in that because I think that's kind of a nerve wracking thing. It's the same thing as a results If you let results kind of dictate how you train and how you perform, it doesn't always work for the best. And I think I've found that in my career it's better for me to focus on the process and focus on the day in and day out of training and how to improve and how to make my performances better rather than just results driven. I'm more productive and I'm more efficient at, you know, being better every day, So personally, I don't check it as much I have checked it within the past week though, So I think towards the end of the season, when things start to get real close, real tight, and you know you're pushing for those last few games to see with where you are within the lines and where you are within the top eight, you're looking at it every game, every you know, you're watching it as you're watching other games. You're seeing the live changing of it. So I think towards the end, I definitely start to look at it more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think in England they call it squeaky bomb time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the end of the season squeaky bomb time. You know, the Courage are your third stop in the NWSL after Skyblue Slash got them in the Wave, and I remember in January we were talking about the release that you and the Wave mutually agreed to terminate your contract, but you commented after the announcement that you were sad to see the chapter come to a close sooner than expected. And your wife Dominique also posted on social about the stresses of things like just breaking a lease and finding a new home and trying to keep doctor's appointments because y'all had a newborn, so obviously the breakup was maybe more unexpected than the press release would indicate what happened.
Speaker 2: What happened there, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit more abrupt than originally maybe I had in mind and planned for. I definitely I still had a year on my contract there, and I think I went into the end of the year meetings feeling like that was where I was going to finish at least that contract spell and then you know, look into other options. But the club told me they wanted to go in a different direction on the last day of the year, and that you know, wouldn't necessarily, without so many words, be in my hands to fight for anymore.
Speaker 4: And I didn't appreciate the.
Speaker 5: Way that it was all you know, handled and dealt with throughout the last maybe four months of being there, and not that I didn't really see this coming and really understand why in the moment especially, I was having this conversation when nothing had really led me to believe that this was going to be.
Speaker 4: The direction that was happening.
Speaker 5: So, you know, leaving that conversation, I think it was just their way of guiding me towards the door in my own way, and I had to make the best decision for myself and my family, and you know, I don't think I was going to be treated in the best way having felt like that coming out of that conversation, So that wasn't going to be the best place for me and mentally and emotionally, and especially having people relying on me at home to be a good version of myself. So I had to make a really hard decision to find somewhere else that I felt respected and valued really and you had that people that had confidence in me and people that really respected me, because I left feeling without that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the value thing's huge.
Speaker 1: I've been somewhere before where technically I can hang on, but it's like, do you want to be somewhere where you're no longer a priority and a value or do you want to find a place that's going to see you that way. I think the collective bargaining agreement was in place by then, right where you had to give your consent. I did to like ending the contract, or that's correct, figuring out what was next. So the consent came from your realizing that it was better to be somewhere else, not because you wanted to leave.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't want to leave in all honesty. Originally that was not what I thought was going to be the future for me. But towards the end of that conversation, I realized that I needed to leave and I needed to go somewhere where I was going to feel a lot more respect and a lot more value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, message was received. So how's it been adjusting to North Carolina?
Speaker 4: No, it's been great.
Speaker 5: I definitely got all of those things right off the bat, and they have been nothing but supportive, especially to my family, which was a huge shift for me and one of the biggest things that I was looking for coming from an environment like that where I just didn't feel that, and then coming into here where everything was just how can we support your four month old child and your wife and the move and everything, And you know, when we don't have the resources this maybe most men's clubs would have.
Speaker 4: That's massive.
Speaker 5: It makes you feel more secure and more and more supported, And if I can take like ten percent of that stress away off the field, it just makes me more able to fulfill all the things that I want to do on the field.
Speaker 1: Was that shift in the feeling from the wave to the courage more or about resources or about an attitude about the fact that you had a kid and that you needed to prioritize family at times.
Speaker 4: Resources definitely wasn't the thing originally.
Speaker 5: I think there are some clubs that don't have the resources that other clubs have, and I think maybe Carolina doesn't have as many as some of the bigger clubs, but they have the people willing to go out of their way and put you first and make sure you're taken care of, and ultimately, that's all you can ask for. And I have never felt a lack of in that kind of situation. So it was massive just to feel that support and that want to help you mentality, want to make you better, want to make take something off your plate so that you can be better when we need you. And that's just huge, just the feeling of that coming into a club that, especially when you're new, you're like, I just want to show up, I want to be the best, but I need to take care of my family, need to take care of myself, my health, my physical abilities, and so just to take a little bit away from that so I could get to know all the players better, make sure I was present at training and not having to worry about getting home to set anything up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are so many more moms in the NWSL than there used to be. There are Like have you been able to take advice from like an og like Alex Morgan who helped prove it could be done?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean before we had Sky, I was asking Alex all the questions and watching her and learning from her, And she's just been such a pioneer in the space and she's made it possible. She's one of the people that's made it possible for all of us to be able to do it now. And I didn't really see that growing up. I didn't think this was going to be a thing, you know, being able to have your career at the highest level and be a mom. That was like you had to you had to wait. There was no and when I was growing up, let alone, the fact that you could be a professional soccer player, that was already far fetched. So I think just watching her and watching other athletes and women just go through their professional careers and choose to become moms and be phenomenal athletes after becoming moms, it's mind blowing and it's just giving me the confidence and respect to allow myself to be able to do that, and I think that's massive, and I'm so proud of all of the moms in the league, and like they're just such badass superstars.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not having to wait or cut your career short because you're like, I gotta start now, and I got to end this in order to start that.
Speaker 2: What's the best part of being a mom? Oh?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think within it's all amazing. It's the best thing I've ever done, for sure.
Speaker 4: And I didn't even.
Speaker 5: Do all the hard work I did the bear but for me an honest, I watched the hard ware happen. But yeah, just like day in and day out, seeing her smile and like making her laugh is the best moment of my day. And you know, after the game, like we're talking about this three game slump, we're in a little bit. Going to her after the game it changes me even just a little bit from what I was before, where I would be like I got to go into a dark room and I got to make myself feel even worse, and you know, just look at all the problems in my in my life. I look at her and I'm like, she doesn't even know I played a soccer game. She doesn't care, and you know we're gonna do it again next week. It just kind of brings me back to reality a little bit, and I think it allows me to have a bit of more mental strength than I ever had.
Speaker 1: Totally perspective for sure. What's the toughest part of being a mom?
Speaker 5: I think at the beginning it was not sleeping as much and still trying to drain and like like have the best you know, physical ability, which little sleep. That was really tough, and just like show up every day as the best version and try to like prove that I could be great regardless of what was going on at home, not make anybody guess you know, Yeah, that was tough, but I wouldn't trade it.
Speaker 1: So you make the move to NC. What stands out to you about the Courage franchise. How is it different from New York or San Diego, especially with the recent push toward game day experience and you know, record attendance. There's really been a resurgence in the last year or so in terms of fans and everything else around there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they're really trying to revamp and rebuild what they had in the past, with like a winning mentality and a really big community involvement. I think that's kind of gone a little bit awry in recent years. But a lot of new people coming in, a lot of shift in not just the game day experience, but the way that we play and the style the play that we have in the players that we have, and it's really exciting.
Speaker 4: It's more my style.
Speaker 5: It's more in possession and being on the ball and being smart with the ball, which is really exciting for me and I want to be a part of a team like that. There's differences and there's similarities. I do think it gives me kind of a little bit of flashback to the first year at San Diego, just like getting a bunch of new people together and new coaches and new everything and trying to build from nothing originally. But at least there's a foundation now and I do feel like we're steps ahead of where we had been back then, but very similar where we're getting on the same page. There's a lot of excitement. There's a lot of talent in the room, Like some of these girls are absolutely unbelievable on the ball, and just getting their confidence up to show that and to be great day and day out, and I think there's just so much excitement for a lot of where their careers are going.
Speaker 4: At least for me, I have the coaches that are too.
Speaker 1: A lot of off season talk about changes to the league and an effort to retain talent in the league, a lot of talk about the high Impact Player rule. Have you noticed many changes either as a results of hip and the way rosters are being made, or the way people are talking about it, whether player to player, or a shift in the vibes of the league as a result of that off season push.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's necessary.
Speaker 5: We need to push, We need to make the league needs to be focused on that and figuring out where it can be better in retaining like great talent and bringing in new talent.
Speaker 4: I think that's massive.
Speaker 5: I'm not a huge supporter of the hip rule. I do think that the league needs to spread that wealth. Like some players, especially even in the hip rule, like they deserve more than what that is allowing them, Like they are bringing so much more to the table. But it's also then limiting so many players who bring that already and who don't fall in the category because the categories are a little subjective and they I think we're missing out on allowing big players or or not big players to become big players because of these rules that are set in place. And I think you look around at other leagues and they don't have that, and they're able to bring in big talent and there's more movement of talent within their leagues because of it. And I think we're already lucky because there's such a big pool already to.
Speaker 4: Kind of hold it in.
Speaker 5: But if we want to grow as a league, if we want to remain the best, if we want to challenge these top leagues and really make players question more deeply where their values is, we can't have limits on that. It's going to require the league to take a big, hard look and some clubs to take a deep look if they're ready to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems odd to me that the gms of teams wouldn't be the ones to decide how to distribute money, would instead come down to the subjective categorization of those players by the league itself, And I know and understand that. I think the main reason is the league doesn't want to continue expanding the salary cap year after year. But if that money is available and to be spent being able to decide how you distribute it should be the choice of.
Speaker 2: The teams in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Really quick before I let you go, we're about a year away from the FIFA Women's World Cup in Brazil.
Speaker 2: What are the vibes around Team Canada?
Speaker 1: New coach, bit of a reset after Drone Gates, So you're in two situations that are sort of in fresh reset mode.
Speaker 2: What's it feel like up North.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a lot of excitement around the team now and we did go through a bit of a transition period. I think last year we would call our transition period between the mishafs of the past and the excitement looks of the future, and I think this year now it's about really refining all those things, especially going into qualifying. The intensity is definitely shift in the last month or so, and just the drive from everyone and the competitiveness is going to be massive going into all these tournaments, and I think we're just really excited again. It's one of those very similar for me because I feel like there's a lot of talent. It's just how we manage it and how we kind of funnel it to the best direction, so that we're all going together and we're all functioning on full cylinders all at the same time. That's going to be the key going into not just qualifying, but then going into twenty seven and all the things that are coming our way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like because you're Canada, we kind of took it easy on you on the whole drone gate thing. Like if it had been a country that we're used to hating, we would have been like all those cheaters and.
Speaker 2: We're like, oh, it's Canada. They can have done it on purpose.
Speaker 1: But I do feel like now y'all might have a little chip on your shoulder, like wanting to prove, hey, we don't need to do that to be successful, and whatever ideas you have about us, like don't have them.
Speaker 2: We're fine.
Speaker 1: We weren't involved in Like there's going to be an interesting I think sort of slightly different view of the team than in previous years after all that went down. But again, you guys, you guys earned a lot of goodwill just by being awesome for so long and being kind and nice that we're like, we'll let it slide a little bit more than somebody else. But I'm interested to see how, if at all, that impacts people's.
Speaker 2: View of the team coming into the World Cup.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think we kind of within the Olympics made that statement that it wasn't us and that it wasn't how we would like to compete or how we would see parody within tournament lifestyle, and the way that we competed after that, I think, you know, with all the sanctions and all the things that came at us that were really difficult, I'm so proud of the group and how we responded in those moments. And I think now with you know, that performance and those amazing results that we were able to achieve even given the shitty circumstances that we were in coming into the shift, now it's going to be really massive for us to step.
Speaker 4: Up and walk the walk a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and with the Northern Super League and all the development that's happening up there, we got to look out for you Canadians now to keep an eye.
Speaker 4: Forgot about us. You're sleeping on us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh huh, no, sleeping in Canada, especially as a place to escape to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why you were nice to us. Come on, that's why you're really nice to it exactly.
Speaker 1: We still leave an escape plan. Caylen, thanks so much for the time. Always great to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Kaylin for taking the time and being so open and honest with us.
Speaker 2: And don't forget.
Speaker 1: You can now watch full length good Game interviews on the Iheartwomen's.
Speaker 2: Sports YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: We got to take another break when we return ranking Christmas is past.
Speaker 2: Welcome back slices.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Follow Kaylen on Instagram to keep up with her NC courage and Canadian National team content, but also of course to see pics of her cutie Patuty Little One. We'll put a link to her page in the show notes, and of course we'll link to video footage of that incredible Elf costume too. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email Good Game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy, and don't forget to subscribe a rate and review. It's easy watch top three Fletch Navidad looks rating three two one review. As I mentioned in my interview with Kaylin, my husband and I throw a Christmas party slash birthday party for our dog Fletcher every year called Fletch Navidad. What began as a humble apartment party in twenty twelve celebrating Fletch's first birthday continued Fletch Lives two, Fletched two, Furious, on and on until eventually, a couple of years ago, it became a giant house party with an elaborate handcrafted tunnel of lights inspired by the movie The Night Before shout out Handyman producer Brad on that one, plus games prizes.
Speaker 2: And way too much malort google it.
Speaker 1: In the early years, Brad and I exhausted every ugly sweater option, from a Golden Girls themed May all Your Christmas Is Be White with b Arthur and Betty White on it, to Jesus in a birthday hat with the Noisemaker, to a beautiful knitted sweater with an RV and Shitter's full on it. So, since Kaylin and I both decided to upgrade our ugly sweater events into full fledged costume affairs, I thought i'd rank my top three Fletch Navidad costumes. The Nutcracker and the Homemade Nut were already invoked in the show, so we'll go with number three. Fletch Navidad eleven Electric Boogloo. We were Frank Shirley, the rich boss, cousin Eddie kidnaps in National Lampoon's Christmas vacation, and the Boss's wife. So pinstriped Pj's a giant red ribbon and a gag for Brad, white nightgown, bob haircut for a coat for me That was a fun one. Number two Fletch Navidad seven The Furry is seven Trashy Christmas. Brad's shirt featured fake tattooed arm sleeves and a fake pot belly sneaking out, and he wore a beer funnel hat that he could drink out of. I rocked a Mariah Carey inspired Missus Claus dress with a light up fascinator and a fanny pack. Uverer one Fletch Navi DoD twelve Live Fletcher die Hard. Brad was the world's largest Elf on a shelf. He's six foot five and I was Jovi from Elf Zoey Daschanelle's character in the Little Pink and Red Elf outfit the two tallest ELFs You've ever seen, and I'll tell you what, Dressing as an elf and running around a party is super fun.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend it. Now it's your turn. Y'all rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Good Game, Kaylin, Good Games, Serena and Venus getting up and trying again after Wimbledon didn't work out. You trying to take down a giant tunnel of handcrafted PBC pipe and lights every year and shoving it into the rafters of the garage until next Christmas rolls around. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianke. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery LOFTUS and I'm your host, Sarah Spain