Speaker 1: All right, So on today's episode, we're going to talk storm chasing, We're going to talk greatest college towns. We'll talk a little college football. We have Josh pat here, who is the college football guy. Unless you're Brandon Walker watching this now, he's still the college guy. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So first I wanted to talk about the best college towns in America without giving you the list. And you've been I think practically to all the good ones. What comes to my top college towns?
Speaker 2: Athens, Georgia. I love State College, Pennsylvania. Now is this a list like a ranking?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to guess, or is it my I want just yours because you've been a lot of places.
Speaker 1: I have a list, but I don't want you to see the list before I go. Here are yours, and we give ours?
Speaker 2: Okay. I love Athens. I think if I were to have to take someone from another country who wants to see a college town on a game day, I would take them to Athens, Georgia. I think that's pretty quintessential. Now, you may hate Georgia, like you're a Florida fan or something, but I don't think if you could divorce yourself from that you could deny just the vibe of Athens. Knoxville's a bigger town, but I still think it is a really, really good college town if you're in the right spots. Tuscaloosa can be like that. I just mentioned State College, so Penn State. I was just up there this week, so kind of recency biased. Too cold, though not in August fair enough, So make sure you go up there with me early in the season. Have you been to Eugene, have you been to Oregon? Yes, so I think it's good for me, but I'm from the South. If I take some of my Southern buddies up there, it's really hit or miss, like they either kind of can get with that or they can't get with that. So that's kind of a conditional college town.
Speaker 1: So isolated. It is like I can find a reason to say everything is bad except Fanville. So just know that I'll find a reason to hate on everything. And Eugene's awesome. It's just so hard to get to if you're just going there for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're either southwest probably two stops to Eugene, or you're probably Portland and then an hour and a half down the coast and you're not really driving on the coast, so you don't get the scenery. I don't know. I like Eugene, Okay. The one that I haven't been to enough. I've only been to a game there once is Oxford.
Speaker 1: Oh this hurts. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: You It feels like though, if you ever walk into like a Louis Bitton store or one of these luxury brand stores, how they look at you when you walk in, they kind of want to make you feel less than just to see if you're worthy. That's kind of what it feels like when you go and you're the opposing team, because you go out in the grove and everybody's fancy. It's like they wear two collars on their shirts that type. Yeah, yeah, not toy one collar, they're wearing two. Or they're wearing the flip up you know how we used to do back in the day. So it's great though. So Oxford is fantastic because it's all built in. You did not mention Feteville, So I'd like to hear. Have you been to Fable, Arkansas?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. Very underrated, very underrated airport. By the way. Yeah, you gotta drive twenty minutes kind of ou in the middle of nowhere. But I remember, I remember X and A because we're right next to BNA. That's just a place where if I were to circle two of them, South Carolina and Arkansas is a place where if I could just snap my fingers in like a couple of places or better perennially at football, those would be the two, because I actually I would. Arkansas is one of my favorite places to go. I got to get storry about in a second, which I may have told you just about losing my vision up there because of the moonshine over not moonshine, something even more dangerous cold brew consumed in large quantities. I wish they were good. I know you're trying, like I know you're doing everything in your power. I wish that I had more reasons to go up to Arkansas. People will say all the time, why don't you come up here enough?
Speaker 1: Hey, you suck.
Speaker 2: We're going to the biggest games in the country every Saturday. The last one I could go to is when you guys played Cincinnati to open the season a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it hurts. We bought a house right next to the football stadium, but we bought it. You know, the market goes Mark goes down. I feel like we got a better deal in the house because we suck right now, which.
Speaker 2: I guess is one ray of sunshine. That's one way to look at it. As at least it moves the needle in one direction.
Speaker 4: People park in your yard like game day.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't lived there during a game a season yet. Well I know, dude, there's the money to be made, but twenty bucks a car, But what do I care? I don't want to be parking in my yarda ugh, I would put And it doesn't really count because the city is so great. It just happens to have a college there, Austin Austin.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to go.
Speaker 1: It's got a million residents. I know, it doesn't I hate the Longhorns, hate with every part of me, and I live with Longhorns and have friends that coach Longhorns. Growing up in Arkansas, we hate Texas. But Austin is freaking awesome. But it's not a college town. It's a city that has a college in it.
Speaker 2: Do you have any familiarity with Texas Tech?
Speaker 1: Meaning I know they head football coach.
Speaker 2: But do you know like, have you've been out there in the lubb.
Speaker 1: It but I haven't really experienced their island of Texas technis good.
Speaker 2: Way to put it. You haven't been to the island of Texas Technas.
Speaker 1: So I've played a show. I did stand up out there at theater, but I didn't really get to experience the Texas technis.
Speaker 2: That is one I would describe that, even more so than maybe how we describe Eugene of like people think Texas. If you're from Michigan and you've never been there, you think, oh, Texas is Texas. Austin and Lubbock are like Jupiter and Mars. They're like different planets. Culturally they could not be any more different. So that's another one. Like Lubbock, I love it because it reminds me a little bit of sort of the environment I grew up in rural Georgia. So you go out there, everyone's sleeves are rolled up, just literally and figuratively. It's kind of like an US against the World mentality. You feel like you're on the moon. It's six hours from the next biggest town, and if you're about that, it's awesome. If you're not about that, it's like, man, how soon can I get out of here? Since I'm about it? I love it. I took Savannah and my wife out there, and she had never been pretty much west of Dallas in the state of Texas before, and we took her out there this past year. They played Brigham Young game days there, like it's a huge day, so we'll go see Joey. We'll go out there the day before and I had her spend the forty eight hours. She couldn't shut up about it. She still hasn't shut up about it. We've gone out there again since then. And I think that's one that's a little off people's radars where if you just popped, hey, what do you think about Lubbock, Texas on them, it would kind of catch them off guard. It's like a little fist to the chin in the college town conversation that they don't see coming. But you go out there, man, it's a different world. You may not like it, but you may also love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Could you just reveal bias that you are from Georgia and you just picked Georgia as your number one team? Like, I know where you're from. I was just gonna let that slide but I can't address it and said you didn't say it.
Speaker 2: Well, you can say I'm from Georgia. What I'm more interested in is Georgia being my number one team, because I said Athens was my number one town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying college towns though. Yeah, they said there's some bias there.
Speaker 2: There is. I don't know. Yes, you could say that, and I can't convince you of a counterfactual. I think I would say Athens if I were from you know, like Wichita Falls. I think Athens. If I'm going to list you the things I look for in college town, I'll tell you one thing that's underrated. A little bit of terrain being baked in, like if it's not just flat.
Speaker 1: We went to Provo Eddie and I did a shoot with BYU. Yeah, what a freaking city.
Speaker 2: I've only flown over it.
Speaker 1: You're on the field, And when you say terrain, that's what it triggered, YEP, is that it's surrounded by snowcap mountains.
Speaker 2: It's like a screensaver basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and whatever they had Mormon's name is, he's up on the top of it doing this, and so you're just like, that's cool.
Speaker 2: That's great. So they played Notre Dame there this year, obviously, and that's the one where I'm looking at the few places I've never been. I've never seen a game at Brigham Young. I've never been to Provo. Maybe that's my shot, but I don't have it off the top of my head. But that's that Saturday. There are really two of them this year. They're just cram packed, and that's one of those Saturdays where you've got half a dozen games that may qualify as the biggest game on any given other Saturday. So crossed we can get out there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I have guilt about our Provo trip because we go and we're hanging out. Everybody's so nice to us, you know, the coach is awesome, and we're going to go and work out with some of the players and they're like, what jerseys do you want? And Eddie, what number did you get?
Speaker 4: I don't remember, like seventeen or something.
Speaker 1: Now I remember remember where at b Yu. Huh what number should I not ask for?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't ask for Jim at Mann's number.
Speaker 1: Let's think you're twelve years old. Immature more than that, Like, what's the most immature number you could possibly ask for that you shouldn't ask for at a school that's.
Speaker 2: Built on sounds like an offensive lineman number. Yeah, probably in the upper sixties. Yeah, and everyone rolls their eyes and you did.
Speaker 1: It like an idiot. And I regret it. And I don't regret anything in my life. I've learned from many mistakes. But once I started looking at pictures and the video of it, I hated me because I wore the number sixty nine at BYU. It was just bad. It is bad. I don't like me for that, and so that's my regret.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give a pregnant pause to let it sizzle. So you are what age right now?
Speaker 1: Forty six?
Speaker 2: You are a forty six year old successful man. And if you're speaking to a college class right now and someone raises their hand, mister bones, excuse me, mister bones. What is your biggest regret in life? You're gonna go, well, Chad. I went to Provo one time and they asked me what jersey I want and I went sixty.
Speaker 1: Nine, Chad.
Speaker 2: Other than that has been a pretty good life, brother.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's the answer. Yeah, it used to be when I got fined a million bucks by the FCC.
Speaker 2: That's distant memory.
Speaker 1: That's too. Number one is picking number sixty nine at a religious school because it was stupid. It was so stupid.
Speaker 4: They're so nice over there that I don't even think they realized what he did.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good theory.
Speaker 1: I think that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Great number.
Speaker 1: You don't think they knew, They didn't know what that meant. Hasn't got there? Yeah yeah, so I deeply regret.
Speaker 2: Has it got there? As it got there? It has now.
Speaker 1: I traveled through the top five from Business Insider, are at number five, Tallahassee, Florida at Florida State.
Speaker 2: To do that, Wait, wait did they list the criteria out of curious?
Speaker 1: Yeah they did, so these are the best college towns where culture, lifestyle, local college economy, population, and they also factor in how well known is the college. Right, So at five was Florida State. Eddie and I played a concert in Florida State in the in the football stadium and before you go, wow, that's cool, they had the stage facing like only the end zone. Yes we really playing, Yeah yeah, we played toward the We don't say that details.
Speaker 2: That's all it counts.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: And that same time I try to sneak into a frat party that night.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you did, dude, this might be worse than sixty nine.
Speaker 2: They did not let me in continue that, and you know what, it was parents weekend, So I thought I had a chance, Like okay, and this was what how many years?
Speaker 1: We got another dad over here? Seven or eight years ago?
Speaker 4: Years ago? So I'm like you, me and another buddy, We're like, all right, let's see we can get in and they're like, no.
Speaker 2: Getting in here?
Speaker 4: Like all right?
Speaker 1: At number four, Gainesville, Florida, No problem with that. It's because they haven't been good though in a while, like consistently good. That didn't it didn't factor into yours, all right?
Speaker 2: Uh No, it's I just didn't do a comprehensive list. Gainesville. I would have eventually gotten to Auburn, Alabama really good one. Auburn's excellent. I actually Auburn would be way up there, possibly top five. I like, going, is Auburn on there? No?
Speaker 1: Not in the top ten to me, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how this is no shot at FSU. The way I would list the criteria for great college town, I have no idea how Tallahassee Florida is above like Auburn or Athens. I grew up within close proximity to those. You could say that's biased, that's fine, but like those two places are pretty awesome to me.
Speaker 4: That frat party looked awesome.
Speaker 1: Dude, from the door, it looks you know what the best part about going to Auburn was there's a gas station near the university where you take your stuff and you just put it on the counter and automatically reads the price. That was Tallahassee. No, that was Auburn. It was Yeah, it was Auburn because that's where the Charles Barkley statue is. OK, and of everything that we did, because we went in played ball there and shot some stuff, and they had a gas station that that knew the price of a banana by just me putting it on the counter.
Speaker 2: I don't even know about that place. And I'm from there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'll give you. I'll give you a detail. So Number three Charlottesville, Virginia, University of Virginia, never been it's it's so clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds clean.
Speaker 1: It's so clean. Number two is Arizona State Tempa Arizona.
Speaker 2: Love it, yeah, love it.
Speaker 1: We went to Arizona State.
Speaker 4: We went to Arizonazona.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a different vibe. Yeah, the Arizona vibe is different than Arizona State vibe.
Speaker 2: Do you mean like maybe one's a little little dirtier, grittier, and the other one's a little.
Speaker 1: More Arizona stream, more maserati. Yeah, Arizona straight Corolla.
Speaker 2: We were late. Yeah, fair enough, say no more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had number one. I've never been here An Arbor, Michigan University of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's different in a sense that they are good. They know they're good. They make no apologies about acknowledging that they're good. But if that's okay with you, it's a little more sweater vest crowd, then maybe I'm used to growing up in the South. It is a quintessential college town experience. Though, they are right about that. That's a good one. I probably wouldn't have rattled that one off because I've gone for the Ohio State game, so I've just been totally zoned in on the game when I've been there. That is a good one.
Speaker 1: Though, have you ever seen him at he hit US soft ball?
Speaker 4: I would imagine he just smacks the crap out of it.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, like he's jackshit. He obviously works out and takes care of his body, and like I respect that. And still though it's different the physiology to hit a softball than it is just a bench press a lot, it's unreal. He does the thing where he walks up and swings and walks back to the dugout. It's just a safe time. What do you mean of all the content he does? And I'm a fan of Josh because he created his own lane. Like to me, I'm a massive do your own thing if you can, even if you can't, like figure out how to patch it together and make it work. Like to me, that's the Josh paid story is like he did it himself. But the second thing is he hits a softball a mile And when he posts content, that's my favorite thing.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you do a lot of great but it's when he posts on story he'll be like yeah, like he'll put a ball with like a rocket on it. He'll just walk up gone, he walks right back to the dugout. So wow, how does that feel to just be an athletic monster out on that field?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, conditionally, now like we are talking about Smirnit Tennessee on a Friday night.
Speaker 1: That ball goes out anywhere. The balls I see you hit, they go out it in any park.
Speaker 2: It's fun. I love hitting, like hitting athletically, whether it's baseball or softball. Outside of working out, That's always been my favorite thing I play. I didn't play basketball, but I've played most of the other sports growing up. I played basketball growing up, but I just didn't like it. But of all the things that you could do repetitively in sports, hitting like when you hit good, it's a really really good feeling. Love it.
Speaker 1: Will you be able to send us a video because when we clip this, I want to make sure we have a video of you launching a ball.
Speaker 2: I think I can round one up.
Speaker 1: Dude, you've seen athletic feats until you've seen Josh Payton Smart of Tennessee on a Wednesday night six thirty game.
Speaker 2: Hey whatever, now whatever, this.
Speaker 4: Is the league you're in, that you're in a softball.
Speaker 2: I love it. I do some absurd things that end up costing a lot of money logistically of travel wise, so I could play in that Friday night league. I love playing softball.
Speaker 1: Do you ever not hit a home run?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, plenty of times. Three home run limit per game.
Speaker 1: Do you get all three though?
Speaker 3: On your team, I'd say most of the time, if someone's gonna hit three, yeah, not all the time though, Like I mean, I'm not the only one on the team who could hit one out. Oh but you're by the guy that hit the farthest right when you count, the same goes in the crew one with a shot.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a philosophy. Yeah, one time, long time ago, when I had stopped playing baseball and I started playing softball. They're all kind of unwritten rules and float pitch softball. Anyone who's played the game for any length of time knows that if you're playing in a certain caliber of that sport, like travel ball, it's all former minor league baseball players, you can hit the ball up the middle. You can do whatever you want to if it's a if it's a caliber below that, guys who are playing for fun church league, they're doing it one night a week. Like there are people well over fifty years old in some cases on these fields don't be hitting the ball up the middle. I didn't know that, so I hit a guy in the net, like just next to his throat one time. I knew him. He's like a friend of mine. And he fell and it makes that like a kind of a smack sound against his neck, and I was terrified. Fortunately he didn't get hurt bad. But if it hit him in like the esophagus, I have no idea what would have happened. I have not hit the ball up the middle again since then. That was in know, maybe twenty ten. That's at least fifteen sixteen years ago, so I don't but I see it happen. We had a guy, I kid you not, man, this is a serious story. I played with a buddy in a tournament Manchester, Georgia, and we're playing outfield and it's we're in like our fifth game of the day and he is playing left field. So guy hits a ball and he's my buddy is going to get under this ball. He's camped and he knows, all right, I'm good, I can cut off sprinting. He turns around and he's kind of like coasting in a backpedal, catches the ball, trips over his foot a little bit, sling shots himself into the fence. This field had like light poles built into the fence, which is dangerous. His head just so happened to hit one of those poles flush against the pole, knocked unconscious. It had seizures right there on the field in front of me. They had to land a life flight helicopter on the field in Manchester, Yeah, and airlift him down to Columbus, which is like forty five minutes south of Manchester. I mean, he was never quite the same again, gos like, he's terrifying. I'd never seen anything like that happen before.
Speaker 1: Were you a basher when you played baseball in high school?
Speaker 2: In my junior and senior year, I got to where I could hit like that, but I never touched weights until my sophomore year. So, I mean I first worked out in tenth grade, and they had a rule. I went to Harris County High School in west central Georgia. There's a rule in there, which is probably a good rule, that you can't be working out in the general population until you can bench, power clean, and squat one hundred pounds each, like that's the minimum threshold. So I could not power clean or bench one hundred pounds. So I had to work out with the girls for a little while in a separate workout group when you used to still have co ed weight training. And then I finally graduated up. So I started from whatever the bottom is. I started below the bottom on strength raining. But then I was like so underdeveloped that it was like leaps and bounds. Once I finally learned to eat and lift halfway properly, so like junior and senior year, Yeah, I could. I just wish that I had been at a serious place that made me work out, because unfortunately I was not then mentally like I am now. No one needs to tell me to do it now. Back then you had to drag me in the weight room and like make me do it because I just didn't have the mental discipline.
Speaker 1: Edy, you'll be freaking out of your shoes when you see him hit a ball. Wait to see you know, I have all the things, and he's built his own empire. It's hitting us off ball that I'm there.
Speaker 2: You go, hang tight.
Speaker 5: The Bobby Cast will be right back, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk stormchasing for a second. Why do you do that? Do you have a background in weather?
Speaker 2: Yeah? My background is the year's nineteen ninety six twister comes out the movie. Yes, I go to see the movie.
Speaker 1: I go to see it.
Speaker 4: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: And that's my background.
Speaker 1: See just what fascinated two things?
Speaker 2: All right? So Twister came out in ninety six. I was a kid. I think that in Titanic and weirdly a Denzel Washington movie called Deja Vu. Those are the only movies I saw in theaters three times. So that's how fascinated I was by Twister. Also, I only watched Sports Center in the Weather Channel at my MEMM's house growing up. That's how I learned my geography. That's how I learned my stats. That's how I learned everything that I knew about the world was Sports Center and the Weather Channel. And then when Twister came out, like I was gobsmacked by it because I'm in that really really adventurous, nothing's impossible sort of stage of childhood. And then I found out I already have a fascination with atmospheric science from watching Weather Channel all the time. There are people who do this recreationally, like there are people who go out and do that. Maybe one day you can even make money on it. Then you fast forward all these years later and it's a whole industry. It's an industry of content creation, but it's also an industry of You could be out there for scientific reasons, you could be working on government grant money. But there are people out in the field now. And the best way I can describe it for the ninety nine percent of people watching this who smartly will never put themselves in close proximity to a tornado is if you picture the adrenaline mixture of like being at the very top of a roller coaster as it starts to go down, and if you mix that with sex, and if you mix that with being in a haunted house right as someone jumps out to scare you. If you mix those three feelings, that's what stormchasing feels like. In the peak moments. That's what it feels like. It's unbelievable. It's not for everyone. It's for almost no one. But if you're like a little twisted and it doesn't like that meter that's supposed to go off inside of you that says don't do that doesn't exist, and it doesn't exist in me, it's incredible. There's nothing else like it. I do it every spring. That's why I cover college football for a living.
Speaker 1: You had one turn on you and come back at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. March third, twenty nineteen, we were done in Beauregard, Alabama. Twenty three people ended up dying within a quarter mile radius of where we were. And it's a big EF four tornado. This is near Auburn. Actually it's between Auburn and Columbus. We were having to do what is called core punching, which is where you're not where you're supposed to be, so you're having to attack the thing from the north. Normally, when you're attacking tornadic supercell from the north, you got to go through a hail core. In a big rain core, you want to be south of it. It's clear, normally you can see things from the south of it, and so we thought we'd have time to core punch it. But it's moving northeast about sixty miles an hour. We're going south, you know, so it's coming this way, and I realized we don't have time, but I realized really late. So we you turn it right as that thing crosses in front of where we would have been, and then we were the first ones to come in on the back side of it. Destruction like I had never seen before. You had fatalities. First responders aren't there yet. This is like the most most terrible environment imaginable.
Speaker 1: How close were you to doing that instead of doing college football?
Speaker 2: I'm still close now to doing it.
Speaker 1: No, but now you've built you're a college football guy. But to be in camp toward junior how close were you to doing that?
Speaker 2: No, I'm still close. Now you're doing it. I'm dead serious. I mean, you and I are. So just think about this, Okay, if you and I were talking in nineteen ninety six, Yeah, you pretty much have to exist in a lane, just the way that's the way the media industry, the entertainment industry worked twenty twenty six. You just don't have to think like that. So, yes, college football will always be the core of what I do. But if you start to be successful there, and then your company starts to scale and you got all kinds of different opportunities and financially you're not nearly as strapped as you used to be, there's room to pursue all kinds of different projects. That's always been one that's been right there on the shelf. I've had the concept. I've just been waiting to be able to BANKRLL it because I don't really like borrowing money from people, so I've been waiting until I can, and we can do it now. I mean truthfully, I tell you this because I know we're doing it, because we've already been like six months down the road on it. So it's not necessarily maybe something i'd be the face of, like I'm built for college football, but I think there's a huge, huge, untapped market still for what we're talking about out there.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the sequel?
Speaker 4: Is that Twisters?
Speaker 2: It is good? Good title, too obvious, very good, very good title. Yeah, I thought it was good for what it was. I thought that it was such a missed opportunity to not have more callback to the first Twister, Like there's so many layups. The last scene in Twister, the original spoiler alert spoiler very important spoiler alert. As we as we come up on the thirtieth anniversary important spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: It's Bill and just Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton. They get back together.
Speaker 2: They're they're probably getting covered in rass sewage. Something's raining down on them, some kind of pie his burst and then credit troll and we don't know what happens after that. It would have been so easy thirty years later to just incorporate the concept that maybe they had kids, maybe they ended up together. Because the unfortunate part was by the time Twisters comes out, Bill Paxton has passed away, Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away. Like there were central figures of the original movie. You can't incorporate anymore, but you can instill. You can still incorporate themes from it, and they didn't. So it was a good movie. I just thought there was so much left on the table, which so they're not related, they're not really.
Speaker 1: No, Like if you saw the Tornado though, was the son of the Tornado from Twitter that you need me to lead you there? If you just wipe through the credit, you would have seen that you saw the old Tornado talking to the young Tornado, like, yeah, you made me proud.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe that's what we cover in Twisters is maybe that's what they cover.
Speaker 1: Hey, Loki, Helen Hunt, underrated babe of back in our Day.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it. I just watched What Women Want the other night. I think there's a conversation to be had.
Speaker 1: I think that she doesn't get the credit she deserves. Even I have to be reminded of it, but she was for a teenage kid who like to be alone. She was awesome, like even mad about you. Yeah yeah, so I mean, Paul Riser Man, what, I don't have anything in my eye.
Speaker 2: There's a conversation to be had, I think because this as a kid, this is how I viewed Helen Hunt. There I would watch if I watched National Lampoon's Vacation and I see Christy Brinkley, that is not obtainable. Obviously I'm a kid and she's a full grown adult. But I think to myself, no, people like me don't grow up to marry people like Christy Brinkley. Helen Hunt had an obtainability about her.
Speaker 4: It's like she lives next door.
Speaker 1: Yes, possible, Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it's like you could conceptualize it.
Speaker 1: At least it's it's the Gilligan's Island. It's why people because there was marionn Yeah, skipper too, this conversation with a skipper. You can have a skipper, but you know, the girl next door was the one that most people like related to. I just searched underrated babes in the nineties. Come on, Parker Posey oh yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dayson confused come on?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And also she was not nineties but white lotus as an older lady. Yeah, still had the.
Speaker 4: Yeah still hot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't say that what I wanted. I didn't want to say that, but I still had.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Also Robin Tunney.
Speaker 4: I don't know that is.
Speaker 2: Remind me who that is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, same, let's google immager.
Speaker 2: Not a good idea. Not a good day for Robin.
Speaker 1: I know she's watching, Okay, I remember do you remember Robin Tunny?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I would have known the face a lot of these I'll know the face of I may not.
Speaker 1: What was she on Robin Tunny? You would know her from things such as Empire Records and Sino Man. I think she was the main girl in in Sino Man. Yeah, musically Fiona Apple Ah, she was the man talk about strung out hot is what kind of that? And then she was always too A lot going on? What was going on in her head?
Speaker 2: A lot going on?
Speaker 1: And then another one was I don't know who this is. Carrie wore her she's from Anaconda and Sliders. I gotta look her up.
Speaker 2: Ka r I she took a back seat if she was in anaconda. W h why, I mean, that's the snake nearly peaked j Lo. That's post Selena j Loo. That's Jlo when she she's rolling at that point.
Speaker 1: Ever, was a Jlo guy.
Speaker 2: I didn't say you couldn't hit mute. I didn't say you had to consume the film a certain way. And granted, the snake did a great job in the movie, but I thought jo.
Speaker 1: The snake was an oscar that went to lead actor would be the snake in your story. To me is extremely inspiring because of kind of how it started. Let's act like I don't know it. How did this Josh Pate get to because you're just big and famous now, but you weren't. You were just working local.
Speaker 2: Right before media, I was just working in warehouses and construction sites. Because I came out of high school. I was like a tweener where you don't grow up broke, but you're closer to broke than wealthy, because when we couldn't even spell wealthy. But you're not growing up in your back against the wall. You're not some impoverished kid who knows I got to make it or my family screwed it. Wasn't quite like that, so I didn't really know what I wanted to do. When I graduated high school in Georgia, they have the lottery thing, the Hope Scholarship. If you have a B average, you get a couple of semesters paid for. So I did that, ended up dropping out of school because I had no direction. I had no idea what I wanted to do. I was failing classes, so I just got in construction heating, in air installation. I was working in a fabric warehouse for several years, and I was just listening to sports talk radio every day. And I'm early twenties by that point, approaching mid twenties, Like, still no idea what I want to do, And I just remember so vividly. Nick Saban got hired at Baman in O seven. He came to Columbus. He spoke in Columbus, and I borrowed forty five dollars so I didn't have any money to go. And he spoke that night about some stuff that wasn't revolutionary. Like clearly the message had been disseminated before Sabin said it that night, but I had never had it click with me, the idea of how to properly set goals, how to put the goals to decide, how to engage in process oriented thinking, how to inventory your time and convert time spent into time invested. I'm just like mind blown. It's just a higher level of thinking that I never knew existed. So I knew, Man, you got to either make a decision. It's the Tracy Chapman kind of lyrically like, we got to make a decison or live and die this way. That's kind of how it was. And so your mid twenties, you realize you're not a kid anymore. You look around and there's so many people if you grow up in a small town anywhere in this country, there's so many people who have never left. And there's not anything wrong with that, but you can kind of sense like an aura of what could have been, maybe even an aura of regret. And you know you're about to become another one of those. And so I got my act together, and I know I've got talent to do something. And I know I love sports talk radio, I love sports media. I consume college football year round. I love it. I'm immersed in it. Could I ever do this for a living? So I'm just like beaten down the door of the local radio affiliate, the ESPN radio affiliate in Columbus. It was WIOL fifteen eighty the zone in Columbus. So the program director just let me come in to observe, which is all I wanted to do. Truthfully, I was not begging to be put on air at all. I wanted to come in and like, if I could sit in the corner and here right now and observe pre deduction happening. I'd never seen it before, so I went in there. I did that for like a month or two. Maybe. One morning it's during football season. His co host calls in, can't make it in. It's like five minutes to airtime. Last minute, I'm out, So he has no time for a backup plan, and he just threw me on area said, do you want to hop on air today?
Speaker 1: That's the fantasy. It's awesome. I didn't know how awesome it was that day, but you were terrified of that.
Speaker 2: I really wasn't no time. If he would have given me a day, I would have been terrified.
Speaker 1: He gave me five minutes.
Speaker 2: So I do the show. It's awesome, man. It's afternoon drive caller based radio in the South during football season. It's a layup. It's like it's easy, and it was so natural. So after we got done with the show, he because the program director was also the host of the show, he asked, where have you worked before? So I'd never worked before, But he thought I was lying when I said I'd never worked anywhere before. Because if you go back to the Sabans thing from a few years earlier, Saban talked about defining your goals and then converting some of the time you're spending aka waste during your day to time invested, so repurpose that time to align with your goal. My goal was I wanted to do this for a living. I realized, I'm driving around in my truck sixty to ninety minutes per day just listening to music, which is fine, but I'm not getting anything out of that. How do I invest that time? The way I invested it was I just simulated sports talk radio. I would turn on Mike and Mike or Colin Cowherd or someone, let them begin a segment, and then hit mute and I'd pick it up where they left off. Did it for a year and a half to two years, not knowing that it was going to lead to one day me just being thrown on air like that was my big break. I didn't know what it was coming. The morning I woke up, the dude thought I had done it for a living because I had gotten hundreds of hours of reps just doing it my truck. So I never get taken off air, and I do radio for a couple of years, then local TV calls and I do local sports and doing my own local college football show. That becomes being their news anchor for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Yeah, you were the news anchor from sitting in and just being able to hop on the air right even that if the story ends right there, what a story that is?
Speaker 2: That's what I said at the time of story.
Speaker 1: That you Yeah, you're the news anchor. Yeah, but you're doing Did you like doing news? No?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't like doing news because it's it's news.
Speaker 1: Was it going to raise from sports to the anchor though? Is that why you took the job?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I went from I went from twenty seven thousand dollars a year twenty four thousand dollars a year to thirty thousand dollars a year to anchor news, which if you're not making any money, is a lot of money. But that's that's about eleven or twelve years ago. That's where we are on the timeline right now, and that's when it all started to happen, because that's when podcasting is really starting to become a thing. That's when Facebook Live becomes a thing. That's when YouTube live becomes a thing. So, as you well know, if you were in our industry up to that point, if you were ever gonna do any kind of national anything, you had to have massive overhead and distribution. You had to have someone with the keys to really really fancy production facilities, and you had to have a syndication.
Speaker 1: Deal, yeah, the gatekeepers.
Speaker 2: You had to be on network like that was it. And in my world of sports media, if you're not from Syracuse J School or Northwestern Missouri, chances are you're not going to make it. So to that point in time, it just looked like a dead end to me. And all of a sudden, then all those barriers just break down, like Berlin Wall's coming down, and you realize, if YouTube live is going to be a thing, that means distribution's the Internet, and that means overheads in your hand, because theoretically you could just go live from anywhere. So I started doing a college football show. I would literally go in the control room because it looks fancy after the newscasts, and I would set up my phone, I would go live and I would just start doing it in the last for two weeks and management at the TV station said, you can't do that. That's a brieki.
Speaker 1: You wagged a finger in the face.
Speaker 2: So I had to wait a whole year until my contract was up, and they wanted to renew me and bump me to thirty five per year, and I said, no, not if I can't do this, because like, my future clearly is not being a news anchor. My future is doing this, and they thought I was bluffing. So he get to the last day of my contract and they called me news director and GM called me into the office and said, are you going to sign the contract or not. I was like, I already told you know, and they said, but what are you going to do? They thought I was going to a rival station, That's what they thought. And I said, no, I told you what I'm going to do. I'm going to start a YouTube channel. And their first words to me were, but what are you going to do for money? Because this is twenty fifteen. No one's monetizing YouTube At that point. It was a foreign concept, but you could tell it was coming. I thought it was coming like it was easy to see where the industry was going to go. So we arrived in an agreement where I would stay on to be their news anchor, but work as an independent contractor making far less. But the trade off, which was gold, was they'll give me the studio for three nights per week to produce anything I want to out of it on my channels.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So we started doing the college football show and it took a few years for us to grow it, but then it really blew up. In twenty nineteen, Joe Burrow in LSU season, it really blows up. CBS sees it and calls me and they offered me a job. I moved to Nashville right before twenty twenty. I start a new channel from scratch, but under their umbrella, COVID sets in world of sports go dark. Everybody who has a sports show starts talking about things they have no business talking about. I stuck to college football a bunch of alienated audiences came to our show because we just talked about college football. Shows scaled immediately. Executives come back to work eight months later and realized, Wow, this show is already making money. Don't touch it, leave it alone. So ironically, because of COVID, we got to do the show the way we wanted to, instead of having a lot of corporate hands in the kitchen. And we proved the concept really quickly, and I got a new contract one year in. I got a new contract another year in after that, and really it came time to negotiate ownership of IP, ownership of assets because I knew, I mean, the show is blown up. By twenty twenty three, it had already since blown up. And I knew, if I go one more contract, I'll make a lot of money, but I will never own this. And I went back and forth with CBS, because CBS offered me an astronomical amount of money to just sign a five year deal, and I said no, and I countered with a number that was far less but also included ownership of my channels and my feeds and my IP. And we went back and forth for six months and it was no, no, no, no no, And then it was Yes, they just caved and I signed for another year with them that ended in twenty twenty four, and I went out on my own and now it's my everything. I own the production company, we produced the show. And now you live in a world where you do your show, you own it, you sell it, you do everything that there is to do with it, and then you just like if ESPN calls and says we want to sign you to a talent deal, you just go do a talent deal with them. It's like the best of all worlds. But it took a long time to get there.
Speaker 1: That three years where you're building and there's not a lot of movement probably was exciting. Were there's stagnant moments where you wondered if that was the right decision.
Speaker 2: Yes, I got evicted. I had no money. I was beyond broke. I had no money because I had lowered down to making because I was making like twenty four when I started as as a sports anchor. I ended up making less than that on the upgraded news anchor independent contract deal. So I wasn't making YouTube revenue yet, and so I'm making less than twenty five thousand dollars and I'm trying to do odd jobs to just like make ends meet, and they're not really meeting. And that's you know, you say that really quick. It takes me forty five seconds to say that. But that's a solid three year chunk of your life where you've jumped out of the plane and you're pulling the cord and the parachute's not immediately coming open. You still got a little ways. You still hope it'll open, but you don't know. I just believed in the concept so much like I'm not someone who constantly has the light bulb go off above his head, so when it does happen, I pay attention to it. And that's one of the moments where it happened. It was just so clear to me, you're driving through thick fog right now, but if you'll keep your foot on the gas, it will clear up. And it eventually cleared up, and you know, very similar to how I told you that day at the radio station, happened where you wake up that morning you have no clue. It's one of the biggest days of your life. The day that Shannon Terry called me, who was running twenty four to seven Sports at the time, which was owned by CBS the day he called me and offered me that job. I had no idea that call was coming on that day. It's like two or three of the biggest breaks in my professional career have come on days I would have least suspected anything big to happen that day.
Speaker 5: The Bobby Cast will be right back. Welcome back to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: It's funny when people talk about luck or even breaks, and I think that's how we have to refer to them. But when you talk about you getting hey, we got to go on in five minutes, you were ready for that, I think about I was working in a much lesser capacity on American Idol. I was on every episode, but I wasn't the host. Yep and Secrets was sick and he's never been sick ever. And it were ten minutes before going on in your live and they go, hey, you have to fill in. And it wasn't nervous because I didn't have time to be right. And then not only that I had done so many freaking hours getting ready that I wasn't. I never got nervous, like I was built to do that. Afterward, I was like, oh my god, can you After it was over, I think back, and I just think, I'm so glad they didn't give me a day to think ahead of time and to try to plan what I was going to do and say because again I had done all the reps, that it was so natural that the only reason I didn't ruin it is because I was going off of instinct and repetition.
Speaker 2: That's why every great coach will always try and drilling you. Just trust your preparation. Trust your preparation. If you're not prepared, you got a whole different set of issues. If you're prepared, the only thing they can get in your way is what your mind tries to do to you. That's why what you're talking about, what I'm talking about the sweet spot is have it come out of nowhere, because if you're prepared, it doesn't matter if it comes out of nowhere, you'll handle it fine. And the same opportunity may be presented to you a week earlier. You're still as prepared in scenario B a scenario A, but in scenario B, when you got a week to think about it, your mind can mess you up, which is why the best who are in the coaching capacity always tell you forget about that just trust your preparation. Trust your preparation, because I agree with you. When we were doing local news, I will tell you the one thing I loved about local news, which is otherwise so monotonous and boring to me because you're reading a teleprompter all day. I loved breaking news because then we got to ad lib, and that's the only thing that was fun to me. Now, if it's a story about like a triple homicide or something, the story's not fun. But that's the only time I felt alive. Otherwise I'm doing morning shifts. You gotta wake up a three thirty in the morning to go into on air at five. You're trying to keep yourself awake during breaks. That's when I first started drinking coffee. I'd never consumed it before. I only started drinking coffee because it was on air every morning at five o'clock, not doing something I necessarily love to do.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like you were lucky that morning, and I don't feel like I was lucky that evening. I feel like eventually our opportunity was going to hit us, and it was when that opportunity met all the work that we had put into it. I do feel like, eventually I was going to have an opportunity like that, regardless if it was that night or another time. I feel like eventually you were going to have an opportunity like that, if it was that time or another time, but you were ready for it. And I think because some people go, man, how lucky was that? I mean, lucky would be if I'd never done it yep, and never prepared for it and then kind of killed it out of nowhere. But it wasn't lucky that I had spent freaking ten years doing every small, stupid red carpet job, every prompter job, begging to be on dog network, and then it happened.
Speaker 2: I'll say that experience for me totally changed phrasing that comes out of my mouth. I used to say things like right place, right time. I used to say that all the time. It just rolls off the tongue, sounds good. It's kind of a catch all. I never say it anymore. Right place, right times. If you win the lottery, right place, right time, that's pure luck. If someone's achieving something professionally, the much greater likelihood is they put themselves in the right place for an extended period of time and then the right time finally found them. That's the plus side of that equation. The downside, the flip side of the coin is wrong place, wrong time works the exact same way. If you traffic in bad habits for long enough, then the wrong time will eventually find you. If you surround yourself with the wrong people frequently enough, the wrong time will eventually find you. And I used to not think like that. I used to think, oh, it's just a perfect confluence of events. Sometimes, yes, far more.
Speaker 1: Often no, Yeah, I've on this show, You've been had people on and I will argue the concept of luck and it's the most boring thing you've ever heard.
Speaker 4: In your life.
Speaker 1: And everyone starts to roll their eyes, and then I go, well, you can't really define what luck is until someone dies, because one thing can lead into another and by and it's just terrible. It's like the worst content you could ever imagine. But I like you treated differently, and it was going to happen for me eventually anyway, because I was ready for it, same with you. You were ready for it. It just happened to be that morning. How crazy of a story, though, that's an awesome story.
Speaker 2: I will say one thing about luck if I was the person I am, but I was born in nineteen seventy three, because of the difference in the media landscape versus what it ended up being. To me, that's maybe a little bit of luck, because that's not a controllable of mine. That's if I were if any of us were born in thirteen eighty two, you know, for example, like you were very blessed to be born to who you are, where you are when you are, or I am at least because those things are out of my control. Some of the other stuff that's in my control. You're right, I don't want to really view that so much as luck. If you catch a good break, like thankful for it, but also understand it's not a coincidence when you look around in your life and some people seem to catch a lot of lucky breaks and other people seem to always, quote unquote, be unlucky.
Speaker 1: You're talking like Bill Gates was just happened to be around the computer that was within three hundred, right. So with me, I started very young, and people would give me the credit of being Wow, this guy's way. Hey. I was podcasting in two thousand and five, and I was dedicated to it. But it wasn't that I was so much smarter. I was just living my life. I was young, and so that's what we did. We listen to podcasts. I was doing podcasts, and they'd be like, this guy is doing things nobody else does. No, No, I just happened to be born at the right time, So I can give you that. But i'd a rock in thirteen hundreds. I'm not gonna lie to you. Yeah. No, yeah, for sure. And if there's an apocalypse, now find me.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think we'd be a pretty good team.
Speaker 2: You think, so.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna rule, but you can be my guy. You take care of that.
Speaker 2: We'll figure that out.
Speaker 1: He's the muscle.
Speaker 2: Is a lot more time for softball, not much else to do.
Speaker 1: I do congratulations on the ESPN show. Thank you, I appreciate it. That's so cool. So you're going to campuses? Is that going to be game days or you go? Guys going in.
Speaker 2: They gave us full selection, so we get to go wherever we want. I would suppose sometimes that'll be where game day is, other times will be where they aren't.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess, I mean, is it going to be actual just on game day? Or do you go in the day before, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So what we'll do is we'll have a show there on ESPN on Friday, and the show will eminate live from whatever campus we're on Friday. From that point, I'm always going to be at a game Saturday, so I may stay at that campus where we are if it's like a noon kickoff the next day, I'll do this a lot, like I'll do the noon game and then I'll go somewhere else for the primetime kickoff, which is absolute dream scenario for someone who grew up loving college football. So but yeah, we're going to be at a game and the Friday show will be live at campus of one of the big games in the country.
Speaker 1: Was there a debate on whose name got to go first busting or pay because I'd have gone Payton bussing, But that's that's me.
Speaker 2: I think names are overrated in this sense, and like, so we didn't argue at all about it all. Here's what was funny. We were on a meeting Will Taylor myself or on a meeting with ESPN one morning and news leaks about the show coming out. We have no idea what the show is because we're on a meeting trying to figure out the name of the show, and so like we're looking at Front Off. I think it was Front Office Sports or OutKick that leaked the story, and Lwan like his his instinct is I'm gonna retweet it and said, that's cool. What's the name of the show, because we didn't know.
Speaker 1: And so we're starting to figure it out. That was where a lot of suggestions came in. That funny so it's busting and pay on campus. So so it's called on campus with bus busting and paid on campus three times. Okay, I'll get your sticker busting and pay on campus and you're gonna be doing the show. I was on Friday, and you're going to stay out on Saturdays. Let's see your stuff. I have a story about each of those guys. I don't know Taylor at all, Lawan, but I forgive me. I was landing back at the private airport and I gave the I was like, hey, I'm here to pick up my car, and so they bring it to you, and so I got in and I had a rental because somebody had hit me in my car, and so I got in and I drove. I don't know third of the way home and I realized, same kind of car. This ain't my car. There was just like something weird in the middle. And then I realized the cup holders weren't the same because the rental they gave me wasn't the car that I'm used to. But I had it for like a week and it was a I don't want, Doc Taylor. It was a big black Suv YEP, and so I turned around, I drive it back and said, this is not mine. They're like, oh yeah, sorry about that, and they go and they bring another one up. I was driving the one's suv home.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: The first thing that stands out to me about this is that's a former NFL left tackle. The proportions of the seat configuration alone very long.
Speaker 1: Guy, what do you want? I just want to.
Speaker 4: One of the guy that drove it to Bobby was probably normal.
Speaker 2: Probably so I like the first one.
Speaker 1: I went to the doctor and uh six foot one recently, boy, absolutely, thank you, So.
Speaker 2: You will do okay in the thirteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying. The other one is I have met Will. We were at the Super Bowl and I was playing with one of the barstool teams in the trivia, you know, they do trivia, And I was on Brandon Walker's team and that's the only time I've met well. And he was extremely nice. Who knew he was like the kindest guy. He came up and we were talking about we just had the bad weather here that we had to live in this place. It was so bad storm, yes, and we were talking about, you know how it just had destroyed where we live. And he was really really nice. So I stole Lawan's car, but Compton was extremely nice to me. That's my two stories.
Speaker 2: Actually a pretty deep catalog of stories right out of the pocket. You can relate to this, all right. I've done solo stuff pretty much my whole media career. I prefer it that way. It just far less things can go wrong out of your control if you do solo. So like I always wondered, okay, what would that ensemble dynamic be like? Though, here's the problem, all right, And this is what local news taught me. Sometimes you have great on air chemistry with people you don't really like all that much, and you have terrible on air chemistry with people you do like. And it makes no sense to someone who's never done this for a living. Because you would think, oh, your buddies, that's who you'd get along with on air. And I had both of those cases happen. So I thought to myself, Man, what a shame if I ever tried it out and I found people who I clicked with, but I didn't like them all that much. So I start doing stuff with those guys just last year is really when I started doing stuff with them. In first fifteen minutes of first show that you do, you realize I like them a lot, and Wow, there's a lot of synergy here, Like it's just flowing. You can't create that in a lab. You either got it with someone or you don't. The first show, like we realized we got to put a protective fence around this, Like we got to make sure this concept right here because we all feel it, We all like it. You want to have synergy with the people you like, and if you can ever find that, those are the ones you want to build franchises out of. And we're two years into doing a little bit of that now.
Speaker 1: And also reading between the lines, you told me that Will and La want hate each other. That's what I got for it.
Speaker 2: At least I'm there, Yes yes to keep it together.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming in. I love to hear your story. I like for you to share it every so often, especially with people that are watching and listening to me, because it is you knew what you wanted, you sacrificed to get there. You didn't have it easy even while you were getting there, you made difficult decisions and you got there, and so I like the story that resonates with me. I feel like a lot of people that listen to me and watch this stuff like they feel that too. So thanks for sharing that. That's why I kind of wanted to talk to you before, because you're the kid with a swimming pool that in the summer everybody wants to be friends with the kid that has from the pool.
Speaker 2: Man, I knew those kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in college football time, you can't get you because everybody everybody wants you. So it's before I when I messaged you, I was like, let's go before you, before this phone poll opens, Let's get Josh in. So I really appreciate you coming in. I'm rooting for you because of what you come from and what you stand for. And yeah, I hope to show on the field with Peter and Bussy. Who does really.
Speaker 2: Great verbatim that I appreciate it, but you're killing it. I'm a whole set up here, love it. I appreciate you having me over.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 5: There is the great Josh pat Love this episode of The Bobby Cast. Subscribe on iHeartRadio, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.