Speaker 1: Hey, when you were a kid, if you ever did anything wrong? Were you ever threatened with military school?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, you never had that. You never was never like we will send you off to military school.
Speaker 2: No, no, no military, no boarding. Nothing.
Speaker 4: It was like you'll you don't get to go to dance, probably or I honestly I don't remember what my threats were.
Speaker 3: I'm so funny.
Speaker 1: That was my biggest threat too, is my parents being like, will you don't get to dance? And I was like, what, You're not gonna where dancing? And that's when the music started and it was like footloosing in my bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I honestly don't remember.
Speaker 4: It probably was candy sweets have been a thing for me my whole life, which is hilarious.
Speaker 1: So you're you're you're a so you're a sweet person, Like if you had the best sweet next to the best burger, you're going to take the best sweet every time.
Speaker 4: When I was little, yes, but it's definitely my daughter now but now I it depends am I pregnant?
Speaker 2: Because if I am, I need that ice cream like pronto.
Speaker 1: That was well, first of all, hopefully you're not asking me if you're pregnant, because I would say, how would I know?
Speaker 4: I mean, like, sweets were everything on both pregnancies, but not really as an adult.
Speaker 3: What was your weirdest craving when you were pregnant.
Speaker 2: I didn't have weird cravings.
Speaker 4: I just literally had at least one, like scoop of ice cream every night, Okay every night.
Speaker 1: There's a famous Fordell family story where my mother was so craving and eating jelly donuts with one of us that my dad had a nightmare where he woke up in the midlight screaming because my mom had turned into a jelly donut.
Speaker 2: Hilarious. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: I was really stoked about the weird cravings. The only thing I think I got that was weird was I would either do cream cheese or sour cream and then put green salsa on it and dip it with Freedo chips.
Speaker 3: Okay, I could see that.
Speaker 4: But when I think about it, I feel like that was an eighties slash nineties appetizer where you do like.
Speaker 2: A block of a block of cream cheese with.
Speaker 3: Salsa melted in the microwave and then dip with a free Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I guess I kind of brought that back from my childhood.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Well, we've gotten far afield from if you were ever threatened with military school, how we end up, dipp, I will not understand.
Speaker 4: Did you get threatened with mill Schorel You kind of had to write you were like living that life a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dad was in the military, but no, because my parents would never have sent us away.
Speaker 3: Nothing we would have done would have had my parents center right.
Speaker 2: My parents say, I think if they even tried, that would.
Speaker 1: Be like yeah, okay, yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 2: You could live without me. That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Will Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian and Sabrina.
Speaker 1: I'd like to start today by saying you're welcome because I picked the film we watched today and we're going to get into it. So you don't have to send me gifts. Don't send them right to the house because you are welcome.
Speaker 4: Oh well, well, I think I speak for the producers as well, that you are no longer allowed to pick any movies.
Speaker 1: I disagree, I should pick them all. It was brilliant that.
Speaker 2: Has been taken away from you.
Speaker 1: Well, ten hot soldiers, line up and give me ten. Because we were reviewing nineteen eighties The Ghosts of Buxley Hall, a supernatural comedy that I swear to God, I picked solely on the poster. It came up on my feed. I've wanted to watch some of the older kind of movies. Yeah, this one popped up. I knew nothing about it, and I was like, let's do this one. And I'm glad I did, because what a film. It was originally broadcast as a two part episode of Disney's Wonderful World. That is a first for us, and they aired them a week apart, so part one was on December twenty first, and part two was on the twenty eighth of nineteen eighty. Nineteen eighty was a tough year, but we'll get into that later. The movie was filmed at the Banning House, which is a historic Greek Revival Victorian home in the Wilmington section of Los Angeles. It was originally built in eighteen sixty three by an early Los Angeles pioneer.
Speaker 3: And you know it's early when.
Speaker 1: The first name is Phineas Phineas Banning, you know that we are talking about a while ago. It is now a museum that has been designated a California Historic Landmark as well as federally listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. And none of that is for being the filming location for the Ghosts of Buxley Hall.
Speaker 3: It also just happened to be filmed there.
Speaker 1: This is obviously the building itself is a big important set piece, so the movie is basically shaped around the entire building. In addition to the double broadcast, it was released on wait for it, folk, and you're gonna have to google this a lot of you listening on something called VHS in nineteen eighty in the eighties as part of the very popular Walt Disney Home Video line, which a lot of people remember. And then in twenty twelve it was released on DVD, which is another digital video disc. Some people don't even know what that is anymore, as a Disney Movie Club exclusive, only available to club members, making the physical copy a bit of a collector's item. And oh yes, you gotta love this. Turner Classic Movies aired it back in twenty fifteen as part of their Treasures from the Disney Vault series. But now, folks, and again, you're welcome. It is on Disney Plus to watch, so you can go watch it now before we get into it, or just wait till we're done.
Speaker 3: Neither's rude. We're not gonna judge it either way. I'm gunn you.
Speaker 1: I'm actually gonna judge you, and not even silently. I'm gonna come to your house and just openly judge you. Does this movie, involving characters from the Civil War era, depict sexism and thinly veiled racism?
Speaker 3: Uh huh, yeah, yeah, sure does one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Have we now hit our third Disney movie that involves drinking.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, certainly have.
Speaker 1: But in all fairness, we don't have any deaths from DUIs, which will stay solely with Susie Q for now, which holds the I think most characters killed.
Speaker 3: In the beginning of a Disney movie trophy.
Speaker 2: Uh we have more, Yes, yes, we had them. That was the whole thing. At Tower or Tair, we lost four people.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we lost the whole cast.
Speaker 2: You're right, seconds in.
Speaker 1: I take it back ninety seconds in and the entire cast is killed.
Speaker 3: You're one hundred percent the entire cast is gone, jeez, well remembered.
Speaker 1: And it was shot in nineteen eighty so similarly to the Leftovers, the footage does look like it's being projected from a VHS tape that was bathed in mud on the back of a broken burlap sack that you found in your basement.
Speaker 3: But hey, that is the era. And not trying to color our.
Speaker 1: Own feelings here, but this is one of the more dismally rotten Tomato scores we've received for any movie so far. It is twenty eight percent. I think that was a little harsh, but that's we'll get into that. But again, they should not sway us either way. And first Arena, I think I can guess the answer to this. But I'm not even gonna ask if you knew about the Ghost of Bucksley Hall. I'm just gonna say, how much did you know about the Ghost of Bucksley Hall?
Speaker 3: One of your favorite films of all time? Before the podcast?
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 4: I was actually excited because I grew up, you know, at my grandparents' house watching kind of Western movies, you know, war type stuff, and so I was kind of excited for it from the poster, not anything that I thought it was gonna end up being where it takes us immediately, with the amount of children that are in the movie, Like, I just was not expecting that at all.
Speaker 2: No, I was thinking more John Wayne.
Speaker 1: Really for a Disney movie, it's any kids, Hey, maybe he would want to do something kind of like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know, you know, but I just I mean, from the poster itself, I was shocked when it started to reveal what this movie was gonna be.
Speaker 3: I think that's so funny.
Speaker 1: I had not heard of this movie. I again, I know, old timey movie, which is so horrible to say. In nineteen eighty I was four, but I wanted to watch an old school movie.
Speaker 3: That's what are the joys of this podcast.
Speaker 1: When we first started this podcast, I didn't want to just do awesome new movies like Zombies and and you know, Descendants. I wanted to go back and see kind of where it all started. So yes, unfortunately, one of the things that we're running into, and this is a deal we've made with ourselves, with the producers and also with our audience, is that We're not gonna watch any movie that is so difficult to find that Hey, we got one random copy of a VHS that you and I shared and nobody can watch along with us.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna we're watching even the old ones. We find our movies that are accessible to our to our audience. So Ghost to Bucksley Hall popped up. I'm like, this is perfect. It's right there on Disney Plus, it's got a great poster. Let's get into it.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting to me though, that it did get such a low score, knowing that it's on Disney Plus and all the things that it was brought back and the Disney Club often, Yeah, all that stuff into to see that it got like a low rating is interesting that they would then, I mean, you know, but maybe at the time it didn't get that kind of rating right that to me, it was more of a newer rating system from it wasn't happening in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Also, and we can we can address this right at the top. I am forty eight years old. This movie to me, this the quality of this movie, the acting in this movie, the look of this movie, all of this is exactly the type of movie I would watch when I was eleven or twelve years old. Okay, so this was like the dcom of its day for me. Were these kind of movies like the one we watched was sean Aston where they they're at the military base. The other one we watched, Yes, like movies like that were the movies that I grew up watching. So this looked like my kid kind of movie. All right, this was my Descendants, not this movie specifically, but the look of this kind of movie. These are like my kind of Descendants. So I was I was excited.
Speaker 2: I gonna need you to pull back from comparing it to Descendants.
Speaker 3: I know exactly.
Speaker 1: Wow, I met in that they're both movies with actors, which is probably where where the where that stops?
Speaker 2: But starts and stops.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 1: All right. So before we chug some wine from the bottle we're hiding in the library, let's get into the synopsis. The ghostly founders of a military academy try to undo a merger with a girls school, girls EH and save their legacy, while some family members of a newly orphaned student have ulterior motives for trying to gain his custody and if even the synopsis was confusing, wait until we get into the film.
Speaker 3: Early thoughts, Sabrina, what did you think?
Speaker 4: I want you to know this is one of my spring seas. But it just has to be said right from the start. As soon as the trumpet started playing, I rolled my eyes and was like, I hate you will.
Speaker 2: Started. The second the trumpet starts playing, I'm like, oh God, oh God, here we go. And it did it much farther up from that, but that's all right.
Speaker 1: I thought much differently about this film. This is the best movie we see. No you know what again brought me. The style of film brought me right back to my childhood. The big cartoony acting, Yeah, kind of one two three, blocking of everything stand here, I will shoot you with camera brought me right back to the movies that I grew up watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I had a much more nostalgic field thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The nostalgic field for me again felt like I was sort of kind of back at my grandparents house, staying over for the weekend, and this is the movie that we sat down and watched.
Speaker 3: You know, I forget.
Speaker 2: By the way, how old were you in nineteen eighty none?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were nine years old. That's what I thought.
Speaker 4: I was nine years old here none you had your non birthday that year, you is my non birthday? Yeah, yay, but same though. But honestly, that was what I was watching when I was going to my grandparents' house.
Speaker 2: That was like again, the.
Speaker 4: Look and the feel of all of it, that costume, the like you said, the acting, the very over.
Speaker 3: The top acting.
Speaker 4: I think when I if I had watched this at sitting on there, you know, the floor of their family room, I probably would have been cracking up because I loved that when I was little, that kind of acting was so funny to me. Just yeah, And then my grandparents would crack up because they loved when I did my belly giggle.
Speaker 2: Like that kind of stuff was really fun of me.
Speaker 5: That's what. So I agree.
Speaker 2: But the trumpet plane, it's they just got me right into that life.
Speaker 3: Damn you for.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 1: This movie was directed by Bruce Bilson, a high profile TV director from the sixties and the seventies, working heavily on Oh and now I'm I'm going to say, folks, some television shows and stuff with our actors, directors, everything we're doing here that we really need to get into because it is some of my favorite things of all times, so working heavily on Get Smart, which you want an Emmy, four Hogan's Heroes, The Odd Couple and Mash my favorite show of all time. And a fun fact about Bilson Slash as hr Nightmare. Just months after filming the Ghost of Bucksley Hall, he would end up marrying actress Renee Jarrett, who played Miss Emily Wakefield and then only acted maybe one or two more times after this and they are still married to Wow since nineteen eighty If you do the math, that's almost twenty years ago in my head.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Movie stars Dick O'Neil as General. It's supposed to sound like Ulysses, but it's Ulis d Bucksley. O'Neill is best known for his roles in the original Taking a Pelm, one, two, three, and The Jerk, but was also a massive veteran of TV, appearing on everything from Three's Company to Mash two, Boy Meets World, Yes, Wow, Alan and Eric by Alan, Eric and Amy really by the Wilderness store Front. Then you got Victor French played Sergeant Major Chester b.
Speaker 3: Sweet.
Speaker 1: French was the star of Highway to Heaven, Little House on the Prairie where he played Isaiah Edwards. They were both totally iconic roles and amazing television shows, but he appeared in so much more, including Gun Smoke, Bonanza, and Tarzan. This is one of the reasons why I love doing older movies because these actors were in some of the most influential television movies of all time.
Speaker 5: So cool.
Speaker 1: Louise Latham, another huge just banger, played Bettina Bucksley, and she was seen in classic movies like Alfred Hitchcock's Marnie, The Philadelphia Experiment, and basically every TV show over the era, including The Waltons and The Six Million Dollar Man. My brother, by the way, little off story, until he was nine years old, didn't ever run without going no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no, no no no.
Speaker 3: Which is how The Six Million Dollar Man ran.
Speaker 1: So he would literally run in slow motion while doing the own sound effects for himself until he was like.
Speaker 2: No, that is the cutest thing I have ever.
Speaker 3: Until you're in a race, and then it's awful.
Speaker 1: The three of them played the ghosts of the movie and were all established amazing workers in Hollywood at the time. Then we've got Monty Markham, who plays Colonel Joe Bucksley, also a big TV mainstay on things like Dallas, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and so many more. But most importantly, he would appear on over forty episodes of Baywatch as Captain Don Thorpe.
Speaker 3: They've just been in all the greatest stuff ever.
Speaker 2: Baywatch a classic for you.
Speaker 3: It is, well, you know the funny thing.
Speaker 1: So we just had Kelly Packard on Podmets World and I told her I've known her for years. I've never seen a single episode of Baywatch in my entire life.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: I never seen a single episode of Baywatch. Isn't that true?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Well, I know never.
Speaker 1: Vito Scotti played the ridiculous Count Sergio Luceesi di Gonzini, And this guy was in so much great stuff.
Speaker 3: He played Nazarene and The Godfather, big kind of film.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And he was one of the voices in Disney's The Aristocrats.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: There's also a bunch of child actors that went on to do other things. We'll talk about them a little bit later. Because the kids didn't play as big a role in this as I thought they were going to. For a Disney movie They kind of came and went, but here we go. The mo movie, when set as just one part instead of the two parts Broken Up, is ninety two minutes too off from the celebrated Bullseye. It was written by cy Gomberg, who was an outspooken activist against quote gratuitous and unpunished violence unquote in movies and TV.
Speaker 3: Sounds like he'd be fun to hang with that parties.
Speaker 1: He also won the nineteen fifty one OSCAR for Best Story with When Willie Comes Marching Home, and again that same year he was nominated for Best Screenplay with Summerstock, starring Judy Garland and Gene Kelly Man. He left us in two thousand and one, but I'm sure he will be rolling over in his grave as I also mentioned that he wrote an episode of Small Wonder, which, next to Mama's Family, might be the worst sitcom of all time.
Speaker 3: Oh that was a tough one to get through, and he shared the credit with Rick Middleman.
Speaker 1: Like most people involved in this movie, Middleman was a TV veteran with scripts on Mash, Karen mcgever and Welcome Back Codter, Welcome Back, Miss got it?
Speaker 3: Okay, did you get any of what I just said, Srina. You didn't get any of those references, did.
Speaker 2: You, mister Carter?
Speaker 3: Yes, you watched Welcome Back Carter?
Speaker 2: I did. I watched NICKD Night a lot when I was young.
Speaker 3: Okay, our good, I'd love to hear it. Yeah, So now I know. I tried my hardest to give this movie a synopsis.
Speaker 1: But also there are a ton of storylines going on at one time.
Speaker 3: God, was this movie easy to follo over you?
Speaker 4: No, I'm telling you, this movie took me seven hundred hours to watch Will because there.
Speaker 2: Was just so it just kind of it almost over.
Speaker 3: Like did you stop and start and stop and starts.
Speaker 4: I had to or kind of go wait and like went back because I felt like I missed something, because how come how did we not finish.
Speaker 2: That conversation exactly? You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It was just like it took me so long, and then I was like overstimulated at some point, so I had to go back. I just was, you know, and then I started it again the next day. It just kind of it took me a long time to get through this. And then the second time I definitely did a quick skimming of you know, got it, got it, got it, got it type of thing.
Speaker 1: I'm going to admit to you it took me. I did it in piecemeal as well. Yeah, and I only watched it once.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just trying to get as many like Sabrina seas that weren't just like kind of dumb, you know.
Speaker 2: And I really did probably still didn't about it because.
Speaker 4: It was it was rough, Okay, I like I tell you, I don't disagree. It takes me a lot to not text people when I'm irritated with them.
Speaker 2: And I really held back for like an entire week. Here will just kidding, who is it irritated? I so wish.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is what happens when you literally pick from a poster.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I also, for the record, I don't know if this is this is a side tangent, but I've been told that from from now on, I will be picking all the films.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I disagree.
Speaker 3: Oh it's so fun.
Speaker 1: So does the idea that the film is now the color of dull crayon and everyone involved in it was famous from shows that even gen xer is barely remembered.
Speaker 3: Did that make it a tough watch for you? Yes? Did it make it kind of a tough watch for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but folks, let's buckle up, Harry jeez. We open outside of Bucksley Military Academy and the sign reads established eighteen seventy six by General Bucksley. And then we hear the sound you'll get very, very used to Sabrina's favorite sound, terrible bugle playing a meager group of military school students, and there are they're like fifteen of them, but they're supposed to be.
Speaker 3: It's not a budget thing. They're supposed to be.
Speaker 1: The school on a downslide watches the American flag as it's raised. Then the Colonel, a Bucksley descendant, watches on. He's accompanied by the manager of a local bank and it's loan officer. They don't seem happy about the attendance or financial state of the institution. The students leave for class just as a school bus pulls in. It reads Wakefield School for Girls.
Speaker 3: On the side.
Speaker 1: We also see that the janitor is changing the front sign. It's becoming the Bucksley Academy for.
Speaker 3: Boys and Girls.
Speaker 1: And they didn't even think about adding the Wakefield's name, but we will get to that later. It's because she's a woman and women suck that seems to be an ongoing thing in the film. So there's going to be a merger between these two schools to help the Academy's financial troubles, and that's the reason that the big brass bankers are there in the first place. But the giggly nature of these new girls and their principle, the confident and bouncy Miss Wakefield, have a totally opposite vibe. Then the armed boys of Bucksley, Miss Wakefield and Colonel Bucksley start to bump heads almost immediately, but all the teens are noticeably stoked because you know, boys and girls, and they're all going through puberty, and it's a whole new situation which is going to lead to Shenanigan's goings on and trouble.
Speaker 3: The bankers have doubts about this merger helping anyone.
Speaker 1: Both schools are in financial trouble, but Buxley and Miss Wakefield think now that the school is going co ed, it'll see a spike in enrollment. And so how the president of the bank agrees, and he recommends a lone extension of six months. But what seems like a charitable gesture is really just giving the building enough time to get on its feet and even fetch more money when they dump it for profit. This was one of the first times where I went, Okay, wait, they're merging the schools together. That's great, But why isn't it then a military school for boys and girls or a non military school for boys and girls.
Speaker 3: Why is it that it's a.
Speaker 1: Regular school for the girls but still a military school for the boys.
Speaker 4: When I watched it the second time, it's an obvious. It's very much a situation of they just did it and thought.
Speaker 2: We would work out the kinks as we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was no actual clear direction or anything settled on. It was literally just bring the girls to the dormitory and the school and we'll just go from there. Yeah, it's just it's instantly like, of course, there's gonna be chaos.
Speaker 2: You guys don't know what the hell is going on.
Speaker 3: Also, the bankers.
Speaker 2: They set the bankers up as being bad as the villains.
Speaker 4: You think this is where we're meeting the villains, and then we don't see them till the very end of the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're kind of good.
Speaker 4: The one the guy that suggests about making a bigger profit, completely goes away and then comes back and he doesn't seem like a bad guy at all.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like, yeah, so okay, it's a little jar.
Speaker 4: It's already getting very foggy, Yeah, very strang we're and we're two and a half.
Speaker 1: Minutes in, so right, wonder already lost lost the plot. We're about ninety seconds in we are back at the Bucksley Academy. We get our first Disney drinking scene as the custodian from earlier finds his wine or whiskey whatever it is, stashed in the study and takes a big old swig of it in front of two very realistic portraits of the school's founding fathers. So we've now seen some drinking and dcoms, and I have to say it still shocks me every time we see it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, this was by far the biggest drinking situation.
Speaker 3: But bo, he's a raging alcoholic.
Speaker 4: He's a alcoholic and just drunk and the like the president of the schools, everyone knows about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not a secret.
Speaker 4: You don't even know why he even bothers putting it in the trophy, because you might as well just have it right there on his workstation bench.
Speaker 3: Openly drink, yes at this point.
Speaker 4: But again, back then that was a funny thing. It wasn't a serious thing like it's looked at now at all.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a funny thing. It made somebody a funny character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as opposed to horribly horribly ill.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: So, the painted pioneers we see in these these wonderful portraits are the great great grandfather and grandmother are the current headmaster Buxley and his sergeant, Major Sweet, which is a great name for a candy stort. Just as the now drunk custodian leaves, the portraits come to life.
Speaker 3: Boom, they jump out of the painting.
Speaker 1: They have a real Vigo Ghostbusters two things going on, Oh but thy wood. The men start complaining about girls joining the academy because their deathbed promise was to keep the school as it was forever, which is of course a big old sausage party. The great grandmother, Betina Bucksley, seems interested in women's rights, but the men could care less about our opinion. And in the process of sexism, we learned that the ghosts can't be seen or heard by any living humans unless they will it. Keep that in mind, because it's going to get confusing and yet come back in the future. So the painting ghosts freely walk the halls, impressed by the indoor plumbing because this is the first time ever out of the paintings.
Speaker 2: There was so I guess that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: I guess they've never been out of the paintings, which they've been there for so long. There's a h already sort of a dynamic between the janitor and the sergeant.
Speaker 2: Right right, but they but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I get I was confused too, because there's another part where he goes and looks at a gun when he picks up when he gets the gun, and he's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, what's this?
Speaker 1: What's wait a minute a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of strange.
Speaker 3: It didn't make any sense, didn't make sense.
Speaker 1: And it's like they've been they could leave whenever they want to, but they'd never walk the halls of their own institution.
Speaker 3: I didn't understand.
Speaker 1: What was going on. So, yeah, why would they have never popped out in a hundred years? Yea, And our girls entering the academy must be so big that they have to leave their paint.
Speaker 5: Believe it or not.
Speaker 3: It started to not really make sense at this point. They had me until here and also.
Speaker 2: For four minutes, right, But it's good for you.
Speaker 1: They don't know the rules of anything, so the people can see the ghost actions, like they'll see an invisible person drinking from the water fountain, like they'll see the water fountain or just the gun floating like you said. But the rules are totally arbitrary. They just kind of it's whatever they need whenever it is. And yeah, I would they know when how would anyone know if they've left the paintings.
Speaker 3: But if they didn't, then.
Speaker 4: What Sometimes Yeah, sometimes it doesn't make it. It doesn't seem like it matters for them to get back to the painting, right because you would think with how often they're out of the painting throughout this movie, that they would that would have been noticed more than just the one time that the janitor sees it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's strange. I I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: But this is why, Sabrina, why I'm never gonna let you just pick a movie for us based on a poster.
Speaker 3: Again, so strange that you picked this one. It's fine.
Speaker 2: By this time, I've rewound it four times to try to.
Speaker 3: Hell's going on either way.
Speaker 1: The mostly tipsy janitor who only sees things floating in the air and such, and he's constantly running away when you sees something it's it's an actually does fifty thousand times in this movie. I'm not even gonna tell you how many times he does it, but it talk about cartoony performances.
Speaker 3: At one point he literally goes full scooby doo. Yeah, really it is straight up. The only thing missing was pulling the.
Speaker 1: Mask off somebody and going old man cheevers Ooh, I would have gotten away with it if worn for you meddling kids, I mean full scooby doo. Oh. So Miss Wakefield and Colonel Bucksley continue to clash with the idea of integrating women into the military school. He wants separate but equal. She wants everything shared. But with the one hundred years of history the school has, even the male ghost agree to keep them women away. They have vaginas, and vaginas are gross. Meanwhile, a new recruit has arrived, the Air of Ross Industries, Jeremy, the six foot tall kid compared to everybody else to the school. He's a big, rich Nepo baby, and the school is dying to sign him up. He's accompanied by his uncle George and his aunt Ernestine, who is married to this big, over the top, real quote unquote count from Italy named Sergio, who is another It's like, yes, do CARTOONI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, as soon as he started talking as like, oh man, will is gonna rip him?
Speaker 3: Oh man? It's just so cartoony.
Speaker 4: It's on a character level. I don't think I've ever felt so bad.
Speaker 2: For a character in one of the movies we've seen.
Speaker 4: He every everyone disrespects this guy. He is the most disrespected character we have ever had in our deeper ship. Yes, it is so sad how much his wife doesn't care, His wife's chauffeur doesn't give it.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares about Sergio.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: Even the ghosts leave him alone. It's nerd. So it is.
Speaker 1: While Jeremy's family chats with the colonel alone, Jeremy meets Posey Taylor, a firecracker little girl in a feminist T shirt who offers him gum who has a real Tatum O'Neill vibe going on. Yes, And I actually googled her because I was like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: She's so Tatum O'Neil.
Speaker 1: It turns out she actually took over Tatum O'Neill's role in Bad News Bears from the movie. She did the same role on the television show, so other people obviously saw her as a little Tatum O'Neill as well. She's a firegracker little girl in a feminist shirt who offers him gum.
Speaker 3: Jeremy admits he's.
Speaker 1: Been kicked out of a ton of schools, and we get the feeling that both his parents are dead. We also meet the kiss Butt Cadet Captain Hubert Fletcher, an overachieving student who already has problems with Posey and Ross. Inside the meeting with the Ross family and Bucksley, Uncle George wants him to enroll immediately. He loves the school, but Aunt Ernestine and her perfume Jigglo seventh husband want to take him back to their house. They are fighting over legal guardianship, and we find out it's because Ernestine are Italian. Dude just want the resulting ten million dollars inheritance he's going to get. They want to control it, and the back and forth is all in front of the ghost great grandfather Bucksley, who they can't see he's learning what he's up against. We talked a little bit about Count Sergio, but what else did you think of him?
Speaker 2: I mean, I thought he was so funny.
Speaker 4: Obviously, again, him and the Janitor both took me into that over the top comedies from the eighties that you saw and that was really funny at the time.
Speaker 2: You know now and.
Speaker 3: You Atga Goga Ghosts, right.
Speaker 4: It did not now obviously if you put it into like a current movie, it would be too much, it wouldn't be taken well. But back then it worked and you just that was again, we have to do it with so many of these movies, especially the older ones, for me to remind myself kid kid comedy. And then now it's like in the eighties, you know, you gotta kind of put yourself when this movie was made.
Speaker 1: So in the end, Jeremy decides, thanks to Posey, he will stay at Bucksley, which is now infested with girls. The count yells Mozzarella, as all Italian people do when they.
Speaker 3: Leave a room, literally yells Mozzarella.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a different one from a different character that just randomly happens.
Speaker 2: Later, I can't wait to say it's Sabrina sea because it's just like, it's.
Speaker 3: Like, what the hell is going on? There are a lot of what the hell was that.
Speaker 4: Moment hits just random line Mazarella.
Speaker 1: See Mazla who says that Uncle George says, if Bucksley can keep Jeremy in school, he promises a massive donation that would cover their debt, an idea that thrills Colonel Bucksley. This would mean they won't need to merge with Wakefield to save the school, though it's too late to change it now. However, he thinks the females will be so exhausted following their new military schedule that they will drop out by the end of the week because girls have weak arms and the male painting ghosts love this idea. They love the plan, especially after hearing that West Point and Annapolis now let in women because again they hate women. This is a big kind of theme through this, like Girls Bad. I get what they were going for to show how strong girls were, but it was a real girl's bad.
Speaker 3: Kind of movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ghost Sergeant Chester will make sure the new cadets love the school, but they need to keep the quote um quote haunting to a minimum in order to keep the building's value up, because no one is going to buy a haunted house, unless, of course, it's twenty twenty four and true crime podcasts are hot and you want to be in multiple murder house.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Back at school, there's a party and it's it seemed to involve drinking in loud music. Did you think the kids were drinking the same vibe?
Speaker 2: Well, what are they doing? What's happening? I mean, are we in the Can't Hardly Wait movie?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like the little kids are boozing to me. I'm sure they weren't.
Speaker 1: No, but maybe you red Solo Cup hadn't caught on as just meaning drinking back in the day.
Speaker 5: But I will say sorry to cut in here. Yeah, the janitor does say you guys can't drink that. What else would he be referencing.
Speaker 2: That's a good it's a great call. So they're drinking right, Yeah?
Speaker 6: Soda?
Speaker 5: I mean, you can't be drinking soda. It seems weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think all these kids are boozing.
Speaker 5: The middles just wasted in the middle of the day.
Speaker 2: In the middle the day, that isn't that where?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: You know, Sabena in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: The drinking age was sixteen, So I mean, you're not that it's not that different from where it was.
Speaker 5: So it was, it was well, not everywhere, not like Federally.
Speaker 1: You know what, dude, I was trying to get her and you just jumped in and saved it.
Speaker 5: Don't worry. We still love the quiz to go.
Speaker 3: I know I had her though I had her for two seconds.
Speaker 2: I know you are lying. I knew it.
Speaker 5: I was saying. My problem with it is that it was thirteen Federally exactly.
Speaker 2: See these guys, but it seemed like they were drinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Painting Ghost.
Speaker 1: Grandma Betina is interested in what's going on in the school. She's obviously intrigued by the girls and the invention of the hair dryer, something that once again scares the janitor when she comes in and picks it up and he just sees a floating hair dryer. But weirdly here she does it in front of all the girls, but none of them notice it or say anything about them floating.
Speaker 4: They don't even show them. After the shot they show the hairdryer. The janitor sees it, he runs out end of scene. That's again another thing. What are the girls freaked out because that would have probably freaked out a bunch of girls, right, I think, And girls get more jittery than.
Speaker 1: What would have freaked you out more though at that age, floating hair dryer in the middle of the room, or drunken old man janitor in the middle of your room without.
Speaker 4: Knocking right, well, I imagine he again was kind of everywhere all the time.
Speaker 1: I know, but now you've got girls in the school, man, you can't just be opening random doors anymore.
Speaker 3: Bro, nobody cares out.
Speaker 2: In the eighties, they feel like that was not a thing.
Speaker 3: Probably No.
Speaker 1: The janitor, by the way, whose name is Ben Ben, he even goes and he sees the empty paintings since the ghost you're out walking around the school, but he can't prove it to anyone else in time. He's so don knots mister Furley, Oh Jay, the goth I mean, it was so over the top and it's a ton of fun.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: The Count and Count Tessa return home to have very cheap cold duck wine, which was the thing, because the truth is, we find out they are actually broke. They need to control the nephew's fortune just or survive, so she plans on making an offer for the school, but her condition is the girls have to leave, knowing she doesn't have the money. Once the girls leave, she'll pull her fake offer. It is a very convoluted kind of way of doing this, but she does. She'll pull her fake offer, and Bucksley will have to close, now footing the entire mortgage. The closure will of course leave Jeremy without a school or a reason to be there with his bachelor uncle, so.
Speaker 3: He's gonna move again. I'm just going, wait, what's the plan.
Speaker 1: And then to really escalate this plan, this is where I'm like, are you you get ready to beleeve?
Speaker 3: Because I literally yelled are you me?
Speaker 1: The plan when Jeremy then turns twenty one in eight years, he gets control of his bank account. But the aunt Ernestine says, essentially, well, what if he doesn't make it to twenty one, she's planning on killing it.
Speaker 5: It's not essentially she's planning on killing him.
Speaker 3: She's planning on killing him.
Speaker 1: She's going to kill her nephew in a Disney movie, Yes, to gain his fortune. And she even already has the goon. She's like, this is why I hire exits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this then then it alludes to her other husbands, like what happened to them?
Speaker 2: Why is she on number seven? Has she killed six men?
Speaker 3: Yeah? This is a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Got a serial killer on a Disney movie.
Speaker 5: She definitely killed her husband six.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have a serial killer on a Disney movie Running Free. Yeah, just it was it was wow, wow a n A n as.
Speaker 3: This movie was bananas.
Speaker 1: But again, think about old school Disney. You're talking Kuela Deville making a jacket out of dogs villains.
Speaker 3: But this so, this is the crazy aunt who wants to.
Speaker 2: Kill the guy her nephew nephew.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Jeremy can't sleep at school, so he wakes up Posey to talk. He just walks into a room in the middle of the night, and she doesn't want to wake up any of her roommates, so she suggests they go to his room, even though he says his room is probably a jinx and that's why both of his parents died in a car accident, that he's a drink anyway, he gives it. The military kids and girls, all of a sudden, they get into a big fight upstairs because the guys were trying to prank them. The girls pull the prank like double prank, and they becomes a pillow fight, causing Colonel Buxley and Miss Wakefield to wake up and they bust Posey and Jeremy for being in the same room. Now, I'm gonna be honest, up until this point, I didn't really see them as love interests, did you, because it seemed like they were kind of way different in age. They might not have been, but just the casting made them look like way different in age to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess did.
Speaker 3: You think they were? It was a love interesting It.
Speaker 2: Didn't surprise me that it. I mean, when it happened, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm asking still is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because I mean he says things like if she leaves, I don't know what I'll do. I'm not leaving without her. He's holding her hand as they're going up the hill. I mean she might just be short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's why I wasn't too worried about it, because that was just me.
Speaker 2: I just everyone was so tall. I looked eight years younger than ever.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what it is. How tall are you?
Speaker 2: I'm five foot okay?
Speaker 1: How tall were you when you were say? At a military school in the eighties. None none none fee exactly you are none fee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so still I still don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was weird.
Speaker 4: There was no actual development. It just kind of stays at this one level of whatever it is. He definitely cared about her. It seemed more than friends. But that could be brother and sister and not.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 5: It felt brothers sister to me, even when the credits roll.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with that sentiment.
Speaker 1: It kind of felt that way to me too, But then it also felt weird at times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Bucksley wants Posey expelled, but he's no reason why he's gonna bust Jeremy because he's the school's mill ticket.
Speaker 3: The ghost General.
Speaker 1: Bucksley loves the infighting with the girls school, but his wife Bertina is starting to speak up about how women belong, and this causes her ghost husband to say, quote, you're just a woman. You can't expect to understand these things, then send her off to make his brandy. With one last piece of encouragement, he does say, good woman.
Speaker 4: Get him, Bertina, you get him, get him, get him.
Speaker 1: Then Jeremy tries to run away because we've also learned that he's run away from many, many, many of these schools before he's completely shaking the ghost sergeant that is supposed to be following him, but remember he does know that he is a shadow. He eventually finds a nearby barn and hides in it because it's hees headlights, so he's trying to get away from it. The sergeant does eventually catch up, and instead of letting Jeremy leave for his aunts, he decides, ooh, he's gonna break the ghost rules and show himself. The ghost gig is up. Did this at this point kind of feel like the whole premise for the movie was over. It kind of felt like it just the ghost guy gave up real quick. He didn't do anything ghostly. It's just like, here, I'm just gonna show you myself and then tell you what's going on.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I feel there was nothing else he could do.
Speaker 1: How about tripping him or I mean, yeah, I guess we're knocking his bag away or for me, it.
Speaker 4: Was the scene of what he was gonna do with the car and him seeing a car for the first time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he waits a hundred years to get out of the painting and then gives up in ten minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's being private about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just needed a friend. I feel like he needed a friend just as much as Jeremy.
Speaker 1: So straight maybe they're the friendship that really what was what this film was about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, was strange.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say it's strange or weird or bizarre a thousand times in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When Posey herself eventually arrives at the barm, she convinces Jeremy to return to school and doesn't see the ghost because he the sergeant, is not letting her see them. The Count and Countess run into the janitor at a local restaurant and he gets drunk more drinking and he spills the beans he's been seeing the ghosts, but they don't believe him. However, this does lead the Countess to an idea, let's personally haunt the school because that is a good way to get the girls to leave.
Speaker 3: Everyone wants these girls to leave. They go home. They throw a sheet over the count again.
Speaker 1: Straight up Scooby Doo throw a sheet over the count and the hip man security guard and boom, just like that they are ghosts. We also get a Mamma Mia from the Count that once again is proving the Italians only know things that super Mario has said.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: The next day at school, it's our first class, the first class ever, which is sex bed.
Speaker 3: It's crazy timing to.
Speaker 5: Go co ed.
Speaker 1: Jeremy arrives late with his invisible sergeant chaperone, and Bucksley is teaching. He's very bad at this touchy subject. He not eludes, he flat out says, you know your teacher's gone. We've no money, so I'm essentially gonna be I'm the mister Feenie of the School'm gonna be teaching.
Speaker 2: Every Yeah, mister Fenie.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 1: Then all of the Wakefield girls enter and Bucksley is forced to teach them about sex too.
Speaker 3: It is his nightmare personified.
Speaker 1: He's nervous and is so bad because he's clear this man has never had sex before in his life. When he asks if there are any questions, all of the girls raise their hands. Jeremy and the ghost bodyguard Sergeant Chester, meet back up, only for Posey to see him talking to himself again, and then Jeremy gets in trouble when the cadet and his cronies bust him for sitting on the upper classman's bench, also embarrassing him in front of his either love interest or little sister friend not sure, we still don't know. With this in mind, Jeremy wants the ghost sergeant to teach him how to box. He wants to beat up the bullies, or at least be able to hecked his little friend girlfriend. So as he trains once again, the janitor arrives to see him and some more ghostly activities and runs away. I'm not mentioning all the times it happens where he runs away, but it's like fifty percent of the film. Colonel Bucksley and Wakefield decide, by the way, it's the worst boxing one lesson in boxing ever in the history.
Speaker 2: Of Oh oh my gosh, so funny.
Speaker 3: Just awful. The sergeant couldn't throw a punch himself. It was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Colonel Bucksley and Wakefield are getting closer, though. They decide to share their first names with each other, and the flirting has officially begun, especially after she sees how good he is with kids, what he wants to be. And this is something I want to point out here. The little kid that runs in totally over the top and says, I'm sick my throat, I can't do this. Huh. Is the guy from who becomes the best friend on Parker Lewis Can't Lose That We've talked about one hundred times and was the brother in just one of the guys.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if.
Speaker 1: This was his first ever performance, but I guarantee you that was him.
Speaker 3: I would recognize him anywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't know his name, but that was the guy that was the wow, So it was by the first time.
Speaker 5: That's Billy Jane, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, isn't that his name? Yeah, Billy Jane right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He was also in the Burbs, but he's like an extra in the Burbs, which is the reason I even know who he is.
Speaker 1: I also thought, and we could be wrong, but the guy who plays the main kiss up, yeah, the Cadet.
Speaker 3: The Cadet looked so much like him that I think that could be his older brother in real life.
Speaker 5: Oh really, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They looked so similar to me that it was like, I wonder if those two people are related, because when he ran in, I was like, oh my god, just one of the guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's him.
Speaker 4: Like that was a Lawrence situation. He just happened to be on set and.
Speaker 3: On set and let's make a kid, Let's make your starf yes.
Speaker 1: So anyway, He also reveals that it is the night before Suicide Hill the most extreme for Buxley students, and both the boys and girls will participate this year. This is another dickish plan to get the girls to leave, and the ghost General his great great grandfather loves it. Suicide Hill not a name they would put in anything at all.
Speaker 4: Did I mean and hurt missus Wakefield like response, suicide Hill?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also think they're still in high school.
Speaker 4: They still do Hell Week, which when it's said sometimes in front of certain parents, they kind of get a little weird. I mean, we're so sensitive to those chains of words. Yeah, those words. So suicide Hill would just absolutely never be said no in a movie or any situation ever. Isn't that what you kind of think of when when like you said, parents, use you're gonna go to boarding school, you're gonna go to military school because they have things like suicide.
Speaker 1: Suicide Well you know the other one, ye, the other one that was used in all that. It was always dead Man's Curve, yeah, or dead Man's Hill, Like, oh no, they lost their lives on dead Man's Curve.
Speaker 3: He was always working. But you're right.
Speaker 4: Never ever military esque, military school esque or whatever.
Speaker 3: Would suicide Hill. You'd never hear that.
Speaker 1: Now the Count is murderous chauffeur finally arrived to haunt the Buxley School in the middle of the night.
Speaker 3: But they're shenanigans and goings on wake.
Speaker 1: The painting ghosts, who consider them impostures, hope them with swords and actually scare them as true to life dead spirits.
Speaker 3: So the sword he's using is a real sword he can use.
Speaker 1: It's not a ghost sword like he could literally if he wanted to run that guy through with his ghost sword, actually kill him.
Speaker 2: I guess. So that's a new rule that we're finding as we go.
Speaker 3: I couldn't get the rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't set. No, they were not fly at the seat of your pants.
Speaker 3: Yes, the rules were fluent. The two bad guys run way in absolute fear.
Speaker 1: Sergeant Chester follows them out, and here's the Count read the falls them out, and here's the Count reiterating their entire.
Speaker 3: Devious plan for the school.
Speaker 1: Word for word, leaving out no details, because of course, bad guys always just repeat their plans loudly when they're scared. Either way, now the painting ghosts know exactly what's going on, well, not to mention.
Speaker 4: They're screaming. They've left this this this boarding school that everyone is sleeping. They are screaming, get off my face. They're on top of each other, they're having this old thing.
Speaker 3: No, you're standing on my handella.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then again he gets completely disrespected because the chauffeur is about to leave him like later out Poor poor fake County, poor guy oh Man.
Speaker 1: Back in the school, Wakefield and Bucksley argue again over who's behind the haunting, the boys or the girls. They ditch the first Dame basis and it looks like they will never get a chance to make love and this man will never understand the touch of a woman or how to teach such an education. Did you want to become a couple at this point? Were you rooting for them in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: A little bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I think I think he would kind of calm her down in a sense, she would soften him up and curve his women can't do anything they should.
Speaker 2: Be it should be thrown away species than us type of thing. You know, you could see how they could benefit from the relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would like to see them together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Posey unfortunately thinks that the two schools are about to head for a divorce, and Jeremy says, if she's gone, he'll run away from Bucksley again. I do not know if it's a little sister thing or is in love with her, But the painting goes. Bettina hears this and reports back they need Jeremy to stay at school. To save the school. Everyone has to serve Suicide Hill, no matter what the sergeant thinks about the girls being in the academy. They have to keep it together. So now we cut to Suicide Hill day. Everybody is ready, even the painting ghosts, but Colonel Bucksley and his great great grandfather Ghosts have no plans.
Speaker 3: I'm taking it easy on the girls.
Speaker 1: The general is not listening to his wife, Big Shock or Sergeant Chester. And then we get your favorite, which is another horribly off key bugle sound and Suicide Hill begins. I'm trying to set the stage for you. The girls are trying to keep up with the course, which frankly just looks like some rocks and weeds until they get to the death defying rope slide above the ravine, which is.
Speaker 2: At best a puddle, a mud puddle.
Speaker 1: It's a mud puddle, and so yeah, might I suggest calling this the you could get a hangnail hill instead of suicide hill, but it is what it is, possibly twist an ankle hill. Yeah, so they slide down. He slides down first Colonel Bucksley and he lands with a flourished boom. Miss Wakefield jumps on and falls in the mud puddle and then playfully brings Bucksley in with her. He then does one of the best ever in the history of film that is not hyperbole incredible face plants ever. You see him, He's like shaking. It almost looks like they speed up the film. He goes face first. It's unbelievable. But the flirting is back on and the kids are loving it. We are now back with the again. I said lots of stories, so if I'm saying back to your back here, it's because this is how it went.
Speaker 3: It gets We are.
Speaker 1: Back with the count and Countess and drunk Janitor Ben is still spilling the tea about the ghosts and giving her an idea. She runs to a judge Let's make it legal people, her good friend, and pleads for his help. She says, Jeremy's in deep trouble. He may do something drastic to himself. More suicide talking and Disney gone. She needs the judge to see Jeremy. He eventually agrees and sets up an appointment at her house the next day. Back at Bucksley, Jeremy's looking for Posy, but instead runs into the bullies again, but this time he finally stands up for himself with his new boxing skills.
Speaker 3: That one lesson, that one time for thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: He learned from the ghost sergeant, and like in any good fight, he knocks out the cadet twice while counting his punches, completely telegraphing.
Speaker 7: The same spot every single literally one two three, one two three, crump, Like, wouldn't you realize to just back away three times and then move to the left to the crumber right?
Speaker 3: How hard would that be?
Speaker 1: Swivel, I might as well be going up left left left right, left left left. Just then Posey walks up and breaks the news, Oh no, they are leaving Bucksley. Jeremy needs the sergeant to help or he is leaving. So finally the sergeant reveals himself to posey. He says, you don't want you don't want me to do a lad, She's gonna scream. Girls always scream, so he releaals enough who only does a small scream. So maybe she's one of the good ones.
Speaker 3: But then immediately she falls in line with the idea that ghosts exists.
Speaker 1: Kids are pliable. Uh So, I was gonna say, is it weird? It's not weird. Kids pick it up right away. But I have one question which we haven't addressed at all.
Speaker 3: Are they dating? What's happening?
Speaker 2: I know I feel that.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is when I'm definitely thinking they're a couple. You guys still seemed confused. I felt like, first of all, the kid's adorable. She's a cutie too, she's cute. Sure it has to be. There's just it's gotta be. I don't think it's the sister brother thing.
Speaker 5: We know that. Can we guess on the ages?
Speaker 1: I would say they're both twelve. Maybe they're both twelve, that would be my guess. Maybe he's fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say he was fourteen. She was alive.
Speaker 5: I honestly think she's ten.
Speaker 3: You think she's ten? Oh gee, I.
Speaker 5: Think she's ten and he's fifteen. And that's why I was like, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't think he was as old as fifteen. He was probably thirteen, thirteen eleven. I think it's thirteen eleven.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: Well he's clearly looking for a pocket full of posy, Thank you very much. Jeremy doesn't end up needing the sergeant or posy. He decides he's going to buy the school himself.
Speaker 2: Wait did you just do that? Just out of nowhere?
Speaker 3: Was that I did?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: My god?
Speaker 4: I will yes, will yes, Yes, that's what it's gonna Sorry called.
Speaker 3: Fuck yes.
Speaker 1: He decides, though, he's gonna buy the school himself and uses oh kids looking up a payphone to calm get the money, but he can't reach anyone, so he screwed. And that's how the nineteen eighties was no one called. If you called, no one was there.
Speaker 3: That's it. You give it.
Speaker 2: You used your one quarter.
Speaker 5: I have an answer on their actor ages.
Speaker 3: Guys, Wait, you have an answer on their actor ages? What are they?
Speaker 5: He was fourteen, she was thirteen?
Speaker 2: Okay, see.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's not to but she was just.
Speaker 4: Sure to stop hating on the short girls. O case takes us a little bit of time to get there.
Speaker 3: Ah, you're still waiting on your girls friends.
Speaker 2: I'm still waiting on it.
Speaker 4: At my quarter of an inch that got me to five foot happened my sophomore year. There were eleven and three quarters of an inch for two years, and I finally sophomore year got to that five foot and I was fine. I said, God, if this is all you got, that's okay, as long as I'm five foot.
Speaker 1: Take this however you want to take it. But a quarter of an inch can make all the difference.
Speaker 5: It's just true.
Speaker 3: Just then, I don't know what You're probably good.
Speaker 1: So just then the Countess comes and takes Jeremy away for the meeting with the judge, but she pretends it's just a dinner.
Speaker 5: This is bad.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be bad people. Sergeant Chester and Patina. I'm hopping back because this is how they're doing it. Sergeant Chester and Patina then hitch a ride to her house with jender Ben in the bus and just start randomly pressing buttons while he's driving. Once again, making him feel insane. They're trying to drive this man, if not to drink, then to suicide Hill. As always, he sprints away, screaming goga ga ghosts.
Speaker 3: The movie is just one.
Speaker 1: Big gas lighting session on a poor, sick, drunk customing it. By the way, he was driving, yeah, probably should not be behind the wheel of a large but no. While the bus speeds through town causing some very intense and unneeded crash stuns. They also never actually they They showed a reaction shot of somebody watching the bus without people driving, but they don't actually show the bus without people driving, which I thought was very interesting. Yeah, because probably couldn't afford to get like a fake steering. I don't know, but they just didn't do it. They arrive at the count of his house. She uses some of the ghost infos she got from jandor Ben and encourages him to talk about everything. Come on, Jeremy, tell me what you meant. So the judge is listening from another room and none of it makes sense. It makes Jeremy look mentally ill, and now the judge is ready to change custody so that his aunt can take control. The bus, now, of course driven by ghost misses the judge by seconds and attacks the hitman, chauffeur and the count to enter the house so the ghosts can punch.
Speaker 3: People too, which was interesting.
Speaker 1: Now inside, Betina and Sergeant Chester make themselves visible to throw a pie in the aunt's face, and she reacts like she got shot and the shotgun at a foot away. It is such an overreaction to getting hit in the face by a pie. Oh man, it was great. Jeremy finally gets to another payphone because they were around all the time people, they really were. And now he's told you can't buy the school, but his uncle says he might be able to set up a trust fund so that they can keep the school going. And so the payphone did work. Go nineteen eighty. It's just the way it is. Yes, barely able to make it to her feet because she was horribly covered in pie. The Countess is now obsessed on buying the school and tearing it down. She doesn't even care how much that will cost her. This is where the time speeds up.
Speaker 2: She says, she doesn't care how much of his money.
Speaker 1: It'll Yes, I don't care how much of his money it's gonna cost me.
Speaker 3: Back at the school. Emily is packing her things to leave.
Speaker 1: Colonel Bucksley tribes one last time time to keep her around, because after that sex said class, he'd really like.
Speaker 3: To try it.
Speaker 1: He says, he'll build a separate but equal campus next door. But she's just not having it. He doesn't get that she wants her name on the sign. She wants to share, not be a part of his school. Her mind is made up. The girls are moving, and so will Jeremy soon. Posey says goodbye to her boyfriend, lover, brother or sister, whatever, and things are looking very dim. Just then Sergeant Chester and Bettina quickly tell the ghost General the girls can't leave because then Jeremy will leave. And then he quickly just accepts it. The thing he's been fighting for the whole movie, in his whole life, turned around in one second. Why couldn't they have told him that earlier in the movie. They try at one point, but he's.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't want to hear it. You're a woman. Women don't speak, and that's the way that happened.
Speaker 1: Then, like you do in this world, you make one phone call to the bank, the several hours later, it seems like you arrive as aunt Ernestine does at the school with bulldozers.
Speaker 3: And a crew.
Speaker 2: They full crew.
Speaker 1: It is that quick, nothing legal, there's no chance to hey, wait a minute, you can't do this. She makes one phone call and is somehow able to destroy the school. She bought the school from the banker who she has intimidated with her hitman chowffeur, and she's ready to destroy the campus because of course that's how it legally works. The students and the painting ghosts, they all get to work. Okay, quick note here we get more bad bugling, But finally the Sergeant Chester just rips it from the kid's hands and starts to bugle perfectly. By the way, Sabrina, keep an eye out for Amazon. I ordered you a bugle. You're gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I don't want it. I don't want it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be great.
Speaker 1: The Countess wrecking Ball, of course, who she's brought, is set to demolish it. Seconds away from forever destroying the Bucksley Academy, when all of a sudden boom, water comes in from water hoses.
Speaker 3: We pan over.
Speaker 1: The girls who we thought had left have come back and they are on water canon duty while the boys have grabbed shovel and pickaxes and formed a battle line, and the fight is underway. The painting Ghosts are shooting from cannons from far away, but they're shooting like bubbles because drinking's okay in a Disney movie, but cannon balls are not. Colonel Bucksley then punches out the chauffeur, which of course, is gonna lead to a sequel where they're gonna track each other down like full on john Wick Matrix style. It's gonna be awesome. It's gonna be called Ghosts of Bucksley Hall two. This time it's bucks Ley Er. Miss Wakefield sees the punch and is obviously turned on. Someone get them back to that sex sid class. Yes, the Count and count has try to make a run for it, but the painting Ghosts make themselves visible and they scare them off the campus for good.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Chester does a.
Speaker 1: Very weird move where he appears all over the front steps making goofy faces. He's like jumping down the steps and then ends right in front of the camera. The married villains leave crying and sounding like they are off their nut. This, of course the judge is there, because why not. The judge then rejects the change of custody, and now Jeremy will go and live with his uncle, who apparently he really loved the entire time, which I never got that vibe at the beginning either, But he.
Speaker 3: Does and he stays at Bucksley.
Speaker 1: His uncle such a good guy that he's going to fund the school completely, of course, with Jeremy's money, but under one condition. It has to stay co ed on an equal shared level. Bucksley agrees, but he turns and needs Emily to agree as well.
Speaker 3: They will be partners. That's the new arrangement. She agrees.
Speaker 1: The school is saved. Maybe girls aren't so icky. The painting ghosts are happy. Everybody's happy. Josie and Jeremy either now best friends or boyfriend and girlfriend. They go and they find Chester, who breaks the news that, as happy as he is, he's supposed to go back to his painting now that the school is safe. However, last minute, he convinces General Bucksley to let him stand guard as a lookout for any future issues. Now alone, the General and his wife settle into their art, and the General says he just can't get used to women being equal. He liked when men were men and women knew their place. And then he says to Bettina, go open a bottle of sherry. But she says, open it yourself, you dick.
Speaker 3: We she does it. She just says open it herself.
Speaker 1: And that's how feminism was born, apparently. And there is your film roll credits. Once again, to everyone out there, I picked this film and you are welcome.
Speaker 4: Sabrina Gosh, I gotta stretch I gotta stretch it out.
Speaker 1: Who can we do some real reviews. I don't even know how anyone found a one star.
Speaker 3: Review of this film.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, I don't know, but if you could read it, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know how many Jensen had to sort through to find this one, which is a gem. By the way, this one stars from Peter DM. I only watched this movie to get it out of my recommended list on Disney Plus. This movie is long and boring, with the same over and over again.
Speaker 2: There really isn't even a plot.
Speaker 4: It's not scary, it's not funny, it's not a drama.
Speaker 2: It just sits there like a pile of crap.
Speaker 8: Peter, you have been heard and you are agreed with Oh my god, it was all of the above.
Speaker 2: Thank you Peter, I disagree entirely.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna read the five star review.
Speaker 1: I agree with with MJ Bnate who said, my god, I'm reading this perfect good.
Speaker 3: My God.
Speaker 1: As a grown man who's seen plenty of scary films, I didn't think a movie could affect me like the Ghosts of Busley Hall. Yes, I expected to be scared, but I was not expecting to question my own sanity. From the moment the Civil War soldiers come down off the paintings to put a stop to the unthinkable concept of girls being admitted to their beloved Bucksley Hall School for Boys, the psychological siege on the viewer does not let up. But the moment you fully comprehend that you are watching a true masterpiece of horror is the scene where the hapless janitor witnesses a floating hair dryer. It's a scene that stays with you for weeks. No matter how big a horror fan you are, think twice about watching the Ghosts of Buxley Hall, and please do not watch it alone. If you're under thirty years.
Speaker 3: Old, do not watch it at all. You are not ready for this. Five stars. I don't think there was any hygh ferdu there by the way. I think that was a true review.
Speaker 8: All the pay through be fair to believe that was a bunch of bolt.
Speaker 3: MJ.
Speaker 4: Get off the commenting boards with your bs and your lies.
Speaker 2: You are a liar like Ann.
Speaker 1: I would put this MJ up with Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Montell Jordan, and now now MJ. Bnate for knowing what's up with film? Let's do our feature this week. Sabrina's favorite part of the podcast is our feature. Now with the Ghosts of Buxley Hall, we get the closest to modern warfare than really any other dcom will get us. So for this week, we'll be given the name of a war or historical battle, and we have to decide if this is the name of an actual conflict that happened or something completely made up. So again these names are real wars or completely fake. Get three out of five and win.
Speaker 2: Now we're going on to history.
Speaker 3: I love history. I do. I'm a big history fan. So here we go. Number one.
Speaker 1: Remember is this a real war or a fake war? The War of Jenkins's Ear? Sabrina, I think that's real. Actually it is real. This was actually a war that was based on I believe a Spanish soldier ended up cutting the ear off of a captain named Captain Jenkins, which started the War of In's Ear.
Speaker 5: Producer Jensen, You are right, but it's not a confirmed story. Oh really, yeah, it's like kind of a rumor. But it went on from seventeen thirty nine to seventeen forty eight between Great Britain and Spain.
Speaker 1: It was Britain in Spain, Okay, gotcha. Number two, the Battle for Captain Eckersley.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think this is fake.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say that's fake. I'm gonna say it's fake. Wait, wait, no, I'm gonna say it's fake.
Speaker 5: It's fake. It's a reference to relief pitcher Dennis Secresy.
Speaker 1: It is okay, Dennis Secresy was great.
Speaker 3: I know this next one the Quasi War, the Quasi war or the quasi War.
Speaker 2: Let's go it true.
Speaker 3: It is true?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's true. It's seventeen ninety eight to eighteen hundred between the US and France. And I can't believe they had it right in front of them, the Quasi Wardo. I can't believe it was right there. I can't believe it was right there right there?
Speaker 3: How does no one hit that pitch exactly?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: So we're three for three? We just won.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean yeah, but let's see if you go five first time?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right? Just one Sabrina. The number four the Pork and Beans War.
Speaker 2: I bet you that's a real one.
Speaker 3: It is real if memory serves. I think we learned about this in history. Isn't the Pork and Beans War a real war?
Speaker 5: It is? And it's also called the Aroostook War eighteen thirty eight to eighteen thirty nine US versus New Brunswick.
Speaker 3: Okay? And number five the pastry War.
Speaker 2: That's a TV show, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: It's called Kitchen Nightmares. I'm gonna I've never heard of this one. It could be real, but I'm gonna say fake just because we've only had one fake one so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's fake.
Speaker 5: Two it's real. So we do not have a five out of five, damn it between Mexico and France in eighteen thirty eight. Damn four for.
Speaker 1: Five, And we're getting educated as we go. Thank you so much, Producer Jensen. Could we do some Sabrina sease?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because I'm not over it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna bring back I was calling it a trumpet and finding out that, which I can't believe because one of my favorite songs is the bugle Boy song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I've just that was funny.
Speaker 4: But I wanted to just make a note to let you know that the chances of either of my children ever being able to even try to learn an instrument of such sort will now never happen.
Speaker 3: I'm sending two bugles to your house immediately.
Speaker 4: I cannot live in a house with that going on terribly all day.
Speaker 2: So horrible.
Speaker 1: So if one of your kids comes to you and says, mom, I'm taking up the bugle, It's all I've ever wanted.
Speaker 2: To do, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Okay, So of course you know I talked about the hairdryer with the girls, all that stuff. Everything we've all we've covered up until the part where I can't believe you didn't see it because it was so obvious. During the time where we find out that the count and Countess don't have money and it's around that champagne bottle that needs to be opened.
Speaker 2: Did you see that they screwed up with their scene plays.
Speaker 3: As far as uh oh, the continuity.
Speaker 4: The continuity takes it over to the coffee table. He has it, and then all of a sudden he doesn't, and she refers to the chauffeur to open it up.
Speaker 2: It like just disappears, like he takes it over, he.
Speaker 4: Has it in his hands, he's talking, and then all of a sudden, it's gone and it's in with the didn't. Yeah, it was because they also talk about it.
Speaker 2: They're talking about the champagne, then he has it.
Speaker 4: Then they're revealing that they don't have money, and then she tells the chauffeur, I went, I rewound, it went wait no, but he had it in his hands and he never walked back over there. So continuity issue was kind of awesome. Everything was kind of hilarious.
Speaker 2: I did love the.
Speaker 4: One line, I'm going to punch you out. So that's a line that I think I want to bring back to punch you out.
Speaker 2: That was kind of funny.
Speaker 4: One of the I referred to it earlier, the random It was very much like Mozzarella. Right before she goes down the ziplone, she goes.
Speaker 2: Pocahonda, pokas why why what? Why? What does that even mean? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Last thing because it was so funny. Was the pie in the face scene. Yes, this woman you can tell is clearly done up. She has lashes, not only on the top lids, she's got them down below. Is a very good looking woman.
Speaker 3: Yes, she.
Speaker 2: Is just done all the time. You can tell that's just her thing. She gets this.
Speaker 4: Pie in her face, Okay, obviously she freaks out, like you said, she thought she got shot. But then they go to again, then we cut to some other storyline. Go back to the storyline. When they're on the phone, she still has it as if it.
Speaker 2: Was just placed on her face making a call.
Speaker 4: This woman is way she is way, way not that person. She is far too vain to have a pie just sitting on her face. I was like, wait a minute, wait, Although I think it's funny, obviously, pie in the face, who doesn't love that, of course, But it was kind of a character flof issue, like choice for me for her because she would have been right away, I mean, getting that pie off.
Speaker 2: So that was my last funny thing.
Speaker 3: I like that quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually googled her because she was stunning to me, and she was like a forties throwback movie star.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, what'd you find I think, I forget, I forget what I found out.
Speaker 3: Just it's like just the stuff she'd been in.
Speaker 1: She'd done so many great things and was you know, stunning when she was younger.
Speaker 3: But she was absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 2: She was just the like I loved those women in the movie.
Speaker 4: He's just like a classy eyelash, top eyelashes, down low makeup.
Speaker 2: Was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh, such class And now we of course have to come to rating our film when I know you're already giving this a ten, so I will just do it. No, we're gonna rate our movie one out of ten are options this week? One out of ten bad bugles, one out of ten, possible big brothers are possible boyfriends, one out of ten, drunk ghost lit janitors, one out of ten, sexist generals, one out of ten small puddles you can call a ravine, one out of ten payphones, or one out of ten hit in chow first. Which one would you like to do this week?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 4: I think because I hated them so bad, the Bad Bugles is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 1: A Bad Bugles, by the way, is a great, great, great name for a ska band. So yeah, I think you went first last time, so I think I have to go first this time.
Speaker 3: Here we go. I loved this movie. I loved everything about No.
Speaker 1: Okay, this movie was the nostalgia of course, brought me right back to eighties movies. This is not a good it's the rules don't make any sense. The storyline are all over the place. The acting's kind of weird. It's very Scooby Doo. This movie just didn't know what it was. However, it was fun romp for the ninety two minutes we had. I'm gonna give this a solid four point five back.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's great, you were gonna go more and I just gotta.
Speaker 1: I've got to give this movie what this movie is, especially since we've been watching like Zombies and all these bangers lately that have just been so good. I'm trying to give movies like this the benefit of the doubt. But a lot of this movie just made no sense. It was all over the place.
Speaker 3: So four and a half bad bugles from me.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I am gonna go with four.
Speaker 4: And I at first wanted it to be a better movie.
Speaker 2: I was ready for the nostalgia of that.
Speaker 4: Like I said, it took me back to the times where I got to spend the night at my grandparents' house. These are the kind of movies they loved to watch. They liked to watch them with me. I liked the over the top acting back then, so I was really ready to love it. But because it was so confusing and so choppy, yeah.
Speaker 2: That I had to take breaks to go back to it. I got bored during a lot.
Speaker 4: Of the things.
Speaker 2: It just was tough to get through.
Speaker 3: It was a slog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really was just a slow, slow pace. Nothing really came out of it at the end. There was real, no big win, you know. Yeah they got this. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It just really I didn't care that much, you know, And that was hard for me.
Speaker 2: I have loved so many of these movies.
Speaker 4: There's very few of them that I haven't liked, even the funny parts of certain things. But yeah, and I just still can't it's still days after I've watched it that I can't get that sound of my four Yeah, my four bad bugles are just staying with me.
Speaker 2: So four Bad Bugles is my rating this week.
Speaker 3: Well, there you are, buddy. That is the Ghosts of Bucksley Hall. See it with a friend if you don't want to be friends with them anymore. Our next movie is the Even Stevens movie A.
Speaker 1: Dcom Class in two thousand and three, and we might just be joined by somebody that I have quite the history with and we will leave it at that and in the.
Speaker 2: Meantime love as well.
Speaker 1: I will see who knows in the meantime. This week on our dedicated magical rewind Feed, our Park Hooper episode is going back to Zombies, talk about a banger of a film.
Speaker 3: We couldn't just leave it there. We had to dig deeper.
Speaker 1: So this week we're talking to our favorite character, cheerleader Trevor Towrjman aka Bucky Buchanan fucking and we tried our hardest not to just keep saying you're the best, over and over.
Speaker 3: Let's hear a little snippet from that attempt.
Speaker 6: The audition, it just said untitled Zombies Musical, and I was like, what is this? And then you guys know how much of a trip Bucky is, right, So reading Bucky's lines, I'm like, what is he even saying? I was digesting the lines. I was like cajun or shaking bake. I was like I just need to make a joke out of this, you know what I mean. And I remember I was wearing my bathing suit and my now wife was taping with me. She's like, are you gonna change out of your bathing suit? I was like, no, run it, let's do it. You can and just did this whole thing and then the director was like, that's perfect.
Speaker 3: Oh so much fun.
Speaker 1: And remember to subscribe to our feet and you can follow us on the magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine by everybody