Speaker 1: What's going on? Everybody. Welcome into Fantasy pros. This is Leading Off Live, the Fantasy Baseball Podcast. I'm your host, Joe Rico. I am indeed back, had a nice little vacation time off the last few days, but I am joined here by my dear friend Casey Bubba. It is year three of the Joe and Bubba Show. To close you out here for the season on Leading Off now, there will still be some mixing and matching. You'll see some more wealth, do some more Bogman, and Bubba will be paired up randomly with a couple of those guys because I got some more vacation time coming later in August. But for now, it is the Joe and Bubba Show. It's great to see you, my friend. How you been doing.
Speaker 2: I am doing great. It's good to get back on the mic with you once again. And like you said, we got about well over two months of the Joe and Bubba Show, which is always a highlight to wrap up with the season slows down for some we keep pounding along.
Speaker 1: Absolutely season three. A lot of shows do he can find their stride and see you three, So we're hoping we got some good stuff coming up. Here for you. We're against talk a lot of baseball. We're gonna talk some Red Sox who are on a crazy winning street. Garrett Cole looks like he is back, but get some questions ready in the chat. We'll probably have a little bit of time today to help you guys out with anything fantasy related, anything baseball related, anything at all. Drop it in the chat. We'll be happy to help you guys out. Let's kick it off today with Garrett Cole. He is the cover boy. He is on the thumbnail for a reason. He has really turned things around over his last couple starts. He went seven innings yesterday allowing three runs on four hits against the Pirates, and he struck out eleven. His previous start was also very good. He went six innings, actually worked into the seventh with two run ball and eight strikeouts against the Dodgers. So buba is Garrett Cole quote unquote back. We did see a bit of a rough stretch from him there three four five ear and run games. The strikeouts weren't really as high as we're you, super Garrett Cole. But we look at the season stats right now, it's a three ninety two era it's a one to ten whip, twenty one percent strikeout to walk. Great. Do you think we see peek Garrett Cole? I'm back at any pointer. It's about as good as we can hope for. You know, a couple of good starts in a row with some inconsistency's what are your expectations going forward for Garrett Cole? I guess is the best way I could put it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're seeing we're getting much closer to the a Scarett Cole that we've grown to love. It was a slow start coming off the il. He missed so much time obviously, and the command was a bit of an issue, but he's been locked and loaded in the month of July. Four starts in July, we've seen thirty two strikeouts to two walks over twenty four and a third innings pitched. That's an almost thirty two percent k to walk. Then is elked everybody, and to top it off, he's given up to ten runs over twenty four and a third innings, so it's three and runs or less than every start. So three straight quality starts, three seven o ERA and one of the metrics I always like to look at is he's got the the area of three seven oh but a two four to three si Era, so he technically in a weird way, kind of unlucky. Garrett Cole looks a lot better. When he first came back. I looked like he was just trying to locate. I mentioned the control things, the fastballs getting hit all over the yard. Now he's pitching like the dominant guy again, and the Pirates aren't aren't a joke, Like they're one of the best offenses in baseball right now. So we can't even say that's what it was. He looked awesome on Wednesday, and if you stashed him or you were lucky enough to grab him before he came back, he is going to pay up dividends I think down the stretch.
Speaker 1: So let's say Cole continues at this kind of pace the rest of the season, with you know, eight or nine really good starts to close things off. Do you expect that people are drafting him next year the way that they were drafting Pete Garrett Cole. Do you think he's an SP two? Like? Where do you think people will will end up drafting him next season? Should he continue out of this space?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going to be back in SP one probably probably more SP two range, but only because of how just diabolically bad the pitching has been this year. And so if he were to give you two months on top of this July finished two more strong months and leave everybody with that great taste in their mouth like, Hey, this is he's back. This is Garrett Cole, a guy that used to be one of the top five pitchers in baseball. That goes a long ways because like when Ryan and I recapped the first half already pitchers the other night above in the Bloom, it was horrific outside of like the top five picks, and then that the pocket of youngsters. It was a war zone out there. So yeah, if you can get some Garrett Cole in your life, pitching the way he used to pitch, his value is going to go up astronomically at this draft season.
Speaker 1: I think there are certain things, certain players who are of a Hall of Fame caliber, and you can never really fully count them out, whether it's Mike Shroud, Garrett Pull, a lot of other players who I mean Jacob b Gram as well, we kind of assume that their careers were at the end over the last couple of seasons. But when you have such a high peak, coming down from a high peak can still be an excellent starting pitcher or player in general. So even if Garrett Cole is not winning Cy Young's he could still be a very fible asset down the stretch. So who ever picked him up, whoever stashed him, it looks like he will be k at the evidends. I wanted to mention the Red Sox because they've won if in in consecutive games. This is one of the longest win streaks now of the modern era, of the expansion era, I guess since nineteen sixty there's the twenty seventeen Guardians who won twenty two games, the money Ball As had twenty, the Cardinals in twenty twenty one at seventeen, and then the nineteen seventy seven Kansas City Royals won sixteen games. Those are the only longer win streaks than what Boston has done. Right now, they're tied with the one Mariners, who I believe were the best record in Major League history, and the two thousand Atlanta Braves at fifteen games. It's kind of turned them around from looking like sellers. You know, Sunny Gray Chapman Jared Durant are going to get traded to now they're potentially a playoff team. What do you think of the streak that we've seen and how do you expect it to impact the Red Sox over the next couple of weeks. Do you think there's still a chance we see them sell or has this completely changed the way that they are going to go about the last couple months of the season.
Speaker 2: Here Bubo, Well, I'll highlight one thing real quick. The streak snacked in Game two with a double hitter on Wednesday, so it finished at fifteen. Still an amazing streak. That's outstanding. And it's crazy like they're probably buying or at least staying pat right now because before the streak started, there's been rumors and stuf where he's going around. They're like, hey, you know, a world as Chapman was almost as Cago White Sox, like there was trade talk there and they were shopping the masses out there, and right now it seems like this team is clicking on all cylinders. You know, maybe they do still trade to Jaron duran but to upgrade elsewhere type thing, but it feels like a Chapman he's not going anywhere, and they, if anything, I think they're buyers now and continuing in an al East that you know Yankees will stick around. The Rays are the Rays, but it's still a division the Red Sox can win.
Speaker 1: I think they can too. I don't know if there's any team in the American League Geese that is so far ahead here, Like the Rays have a two and a half game lead on the Yankees, who have a four and a half game lead on the Red Sox. There's still so much baseball up. We've seen much larger leads evaporate much later into the seed. So the American League Eese still feels like a huge, huge wildcard here. I think the Red Sox it'll all come down to the next couple of weeks. I think for a lot of these teams, even if Blue Jay has been terrible, and I still hear like, well it's the next couple of weeks go Well, maybe they're buyers. And I think a lot of American League teams are in that boat because the American League's terrible. This isn't really awful. Well, I think the Red Sox are going to be more positioned as buyers or at least kind of neutral. Maybe sell a couple of pieces, maybe bring in a couple other ones over the next couple of weeks. I got to bring up my boy Kate Cavali year, who looked like a disaster to start the season. He looks absolutely terrible and he went into tour yesterday at six shatout innings WHI allowing just four hits. A striking out Kate, He's been really good for a while now, Kate Cavalie's looking back. Since the end of April, sixteen wins, he's won seven of them. It's a three forty five's a three twenty three Sierra. The whip is finally below one twenty. He's given up a lot of hits this year, but in that frame it's one nineteen and at twenty one percent strikeout to walk great. Seems like he's finally arrived by But what are your thoughts on Kate Cavali. Is he somebody that you're trusting I set it and forget it type of guy, or are you still looking matchup dependent here for these next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, he's definitely a set it and forget a guy for me. I absolutely love what we're seeing from from Cavali. It's a guy that we know. The skills have always been very good, even in the miners. He's one of the higher end prospects, that is what I would say, But injuries have derailed things. So he came back after a short and twenty twenty five. My biggest questions like, yeah, you're gonna sit and forget it for now. But we're seeing one hundred and ten innings pitched already this year. He's coming off of forty eight. Well, between the Bigs and the miners, it was one twenty. We'll say, how far do the Nats let him go? Is My question is do does he go one thirty? Does he go one forty? I still probably get some close to the finish line, which is fine, but we might see some tinkering here. But to your initial question, I love what we're seeing from him. Strikeouts are grit there, the control is great. To your point, all the things you highlighted, Cavali seems like a dude. And the one thing with the Nationals for most of this season. In recent seasons, they've had bats, they haven't had pitching. And Cavali seems like a guy that can get him there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm very excited. I have a lot of shape that looks horrendous to start the year, but things have started to turn around. Off my boy Kate Savalie, so I'm really you're happy about that. I wanted to shout out Van Rod here on the street, one of the most loyal viewers seventy five stream streak. That is phenomenal work. Thank you Van Rod for supporting the channel, always here, always throwing your questions and so we really really do appreciate that Chris sailed down three. Nothing already in the second not what we want to see. There are a lot of early games today. There's not a huge late like. It's five total games with two in the afternoon evening, so a lot of games are already underway. There's a question about and or Kate Cavalie, I should say in relation to Kate Anderson, so I pick up Kate Cavali over my Kate Anderson's fash I would say yes, yes, I'm not sure what the Mariners are gonna do, but they have six pretty viable starting pitchers. I mean, Brian Wu, I know that pens of inconsistencies and Steo is not the guy he used to be. But between Miller Wu Gilbert Kirby to Steo Hancock, son't nope, there's really room for Kate Anderson.
Speaker 2: Bubba, Yeah, I'm not sure if there is room Frankers and they don't have enough room for their six as you mentioned the piggybacks they've been doing and everything else that's been crazy. Now, maybe they flip a guy to build somewhere else at the deadline. That could help with things. But it's a problem. That's why we're going to see Ky down there, I guess, not the Brax and Ashcraft problems that we're seeing. That's a whole nother weird dilemma in Miami. Kate Anderson just has there's no room at the end, and they have Sloan also, who's a really good minor league pitcher. So changes a lot to be made in the off season, probably before we get really excited about Kate Anderson.
Speaker 1: I think so too, Like this is probably a situation where the Mariners do look to move off of a Castillo or maybe Woo. I'm not sure what the calculus looks like, but this does not seem like the year for Kate Anderson. Barring an injury or barring the Mariners trading two starting pitchers at the deadline, which I'm not really expecting. Let's take another question here. I better call Bob. Hey, guys, I need your opinion on my pitching staff, Ms, Burns, Rasmussen, Riley, Bradley, Burke, Ray, Barlin, Durant, and go. That's a hell of a staff, good enough to compete for a ship. I would say it probably is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: A lot of that does come down to what happens with Jacob Mizerowski and Chase Burns down the stretch. I would imagine they're limited to some extent. Miserowski only went four innings the other day, four good innings. But I think you might get crocheted from a couple of years ago with the White Sox, where Garrett Crochet three four inning outings. You're not trying to overwork him. Now. The difference, Bubba, with those situations is that the White Sox were historically bad at the time and the Brewers are the best team or maybe the second best team in baseball as of today. Do you think that makes a huge difference on how they will use Mizerowski. The fact that it's a good team as opposed to a bad team.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it just means they want to limit him even more because you need those bullets for October, right Crochet. They're just trying to keep him working and you know, build up some innings for the following year. Like Miz, they might skip a start, it might be literally like a one time through the rotation starts stuff like that, because you need him to be able to go six seven in October because he is that guy that can get you a win by himself, and that, as you know from last year, how valuable that is for the postseason. So I could see them really babying them is here, especially in September, as they closer to kind of figuring out their destiny as the best team in baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not something I'm really hoping for, but it does seem like the prudent thing keeping a guy healthy. I mean, it's going to be hard to keep him healthy forever, with hell hard he throws, but doing what you can to keep him healthy in a season where it looks like the Brewers do have a chance to compete like they do in most seasons, but better not to waste it and get him hurt. And then have to be scrambling and acquire a pitcher or whatever you got to do down the stretch. So I do agree that they'll probably keep him three, four, maybe five innings, Bed saying, I feel like Tindra hesitant to push guys with extra day's rest and would rather keep the rout teem with less innings. I think that probably is going to be the case here. Landin Roop is the next guy. I want to mention that we do have a question about him in the chat, which we'll get to in a second. But landon Roope has been really really good recently, made through six scoreless innings before allowing two runs. In the set against the Royals, he ended up allowing four total hits, truck out seven and over his last three starts, you know, going back before the break against the loser Blue Jays eight innings, one run ball, five strikeouts, coming out of the break at Seattle seven innings of shutout ball, and then yesterday against the Royal six innings, two run, seven strikeouts. You're a Giants fan, but what do you think of land and Roup Because you look at some of the advanced metrics, you know, especially in terms of the quality of contact he allows, and he's one of the best in the game. Four percent barrel rate, thirty percent hard hit, he's got fifteen percent strikeout to walk rate. I know that Mason is not a huge fan, but what do you think as another another Giants fan in the space.
Speaker 2: I am a fan of Landing Root for a couple reasons here. Remember, he reminds me of like an early Logan Web. He pitches is the way I say like watching him throw. He's not just like trying to gas guys up. He works around the zone like he has his blow ups. A lot of four runs starts, but a lot of two to one run starts also, and he goes deep in the game. He doesn't want the ball to get taken out of his hand. You mentioned the swinging miss comes with a fifty percent ground ball, so that that's a plus. It'll keep him in a lot of games as well. And I just I like it's the stuff you don't see like on a stat sheet watching him pitch. It's it's his intensity, his his give a care is the way I'll say it for the PG crowd out there. He takes it very personally, which a lot of guys watching the Giants this season do not, and so that makes me appreciate him more. And he's gone out there, like after his last bad start four starts ago, you mentioned that he's real off three gyms, he's pitched great, and he's done that a lot this season where he puts two three four starts together, which show you that there's a there's a room for him to become a solid like SP two and a in a rotation, not in fantasy, maybe more like an SP three four, but a very solid piece to have like I in fifteen ten leagues. He's almost just locked in weekly for me, and if the blow up happens, it's fine. But he's I think he's very good and I think he can only get better. That's that's the good thing about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the blow ups have been really bad, and I know you can't really do this, but like you take away the blow up, he's been a true, true ace And it really comes down to like three, three or maybe four bad starts out of twenty the one against the Diamondbacks at the end of June, the.
Speaker 2: Dry because they had no bullpen that day. That was just garbage. That was bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even with a couple of those blow ups. The era is still under four. The fifth is a three thirty one. So a guy that I do really like in a very good park to pitching as well in San Francisco. So I'm a fan of Landing Roup. Jay Chow's got a question here. It looks like you got a peek at the show sheet before we started today. Ruper Cavali for two starts next week. Cavally has Toronto and Atlanta. Rupe has Milwaukee and San Diego. If you could just go with one there.
Speaker 2: But that's that's in San Francisco, I think right, I think so.
Speaker 1: So the first one is at home. The second one is at San Diego, which another good picture park.
Speaker 2: If I'd probably take land and Roupe. But Cavali has a bigger ceiling for strikeouts for you, I'll say that much. Because the Jay is no offense to the Rica. It's not a scary situation. Oh, it is a scary situation for you, for you, not for the opposing pitcher.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, from the disappointment of the World Series to you know, you bring in some new fans who watch the playoff run and then they're watching this year, like what the hell are we watching for. I've pretty much stopped watching the Blue Jays. I got to protect my mental health and they are not a good watch. But to your point, Kate Cavali probably is the way to go, just because he's facing the Blue Jays next week. Let's talk about Logan Henderson, a guy where there seems like there's been some kind of injury concerns going back for at least a year, but whenever he's out there, he looks really good. Same thing yesterday against the Mets. Two runs on five hits over five innings while striking out nine. I you know, going back to last year, I can't believe they sent him down in the middle of the season when he was pitching well. And this doesn't seem like he's gotten that true, full fair shake. But maybe they've been careful with him Bubba because of the forearm, stuffed the potential for a worse injury. But in his eight starts as a three h five r it's a sub one whip, it's a thirty one percent strikeout right. It seems like an ace if he's ever able to just put together a consistent run of starts here. How concerned are you from an injury standpoint about Logan Henderson and trusting him going forward.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love everything about this guy. Like you mentioned, he is that good. It's just a matter of when are we going to see all of that? If that makes sense, they do baby like yesterday was another you know, eighty pitches and they're taking taking their time with him. And maybe it is a little bit to do with the with the the forearm cramps he had, but you look at all of his starts. It's we're seeing this with Jared Jones this year, We're seeing it with a lot of Griffin Jacks. It's essentially seventy five to eighty five pitches every start that Logan Henderson's made. I just pulled up his game walk. That's they're taking that approach with him, and maybe that's what the Miz starts to do as well. Keep this in mind, like maybe that's their way the limit things, And that's fine because it's annoying for us. Fancy because I'm with you. I think he is an ace, like he is a huge Like if they can somehow keep the Mizz and Logan Henderson together, that is one heck of a one two punch. They're going to have there in Milwaukee. But what we as fantasy players we forget so often is they're playing a game. And what I just said about one two punch for the future, they're seeing one two punch in October and that's all they care about. So if they can all of a sudden, let Henderson throw a hundred pitches in October and go six or seven, they'll take that over worrying about what we care about right now. But to your initial point, he is awesome. I'm starting without even looking pretty much every week and he's that good.
Speaker 1: He's fantastic. I just really, really hope that he can stay healthy heading into next year. Next year is going to be an interesting test with you know, you want to draft a guy who's had some forearm troubles, but when he's been out there, he's been great. I'm not sure yet. I'm not sure. It will depend on the price and everything. But I love the talent. I really do love the talent. Just hoping that he is able to avoid the knife and stay healthy for at least a good few years. I got Bubba on the show, so I do need to bring up at least one catcher, and that's Gabrielle Moreno fifteen run explosion which Engage jump took quite a bit of sixer in runs on eight hits over four and two thirds. I think Gage jump is probably a pretty safe drop At this point, I'll let you chime in into second, Bubba. But Gabriel Moreno, I mean for the season, he slashed in three to zero, two, three ninety one, four forty two. He's got seven homers, four stolen bases. He's also reached base safely in thirty seven consecutive starts. Catcher is so so deep this year that I get if you're in a one catch league, if it's hard to fit Moreno in. We played a lot of two catcher leagues, and Moreno, I mean I loved him going back to his time as a Jay's prospect. It looks like he's finally finally starting to break out this year.
Speaker 2: Bubba. Yeah, I've always liked Gabriel Moreno. My concern because people think I don't like Gavirin Moreno, but you got to like read through the tea leaves of what I talk is he's hurt a lot, and he's been on the IL I think two different times this year. He's played seventy five games. But I've always said when he plays very good, noted like I always said he was like a port man's Alejandro Kirk, like he's gonna hit for average, will the power and speed come to play. Didn't know what it was, but the fact he missed games, I had him behind Kirk. Right now I have him a head of Kirk because he's actually hitting with power and running and that that's a beautiful thing. So the skills, I've never denied what Gabriel Moreno can do. It's just a matter of cansty on the field. And right now he's got seventy five games. If he gets you to like one ten by seasons in, that's a win. That's a win. As a catcher too, He's just it's hard to make him a catcher one because the playing time you need at least one hundred and thirty plus games for me to be a catcher one. So he's a very solid catcher two in those two catcher leagues you mentioned. But right now you talk about the streak. A lot of these listeners play Yahoo's ESPN's ten team leagues. Gabby's a very viable stream. While he's swinging at this well right now, So something to keep in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean rest of season. Would you rather have him or cal Rawley? For me, I'd probably take Moreno, But would you drop Ca? Do you have the stones to drop cal Rawly? That is a whole other question.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying. I'm not saying I wouldn't. But are you rostering your two catchers as the initial because are you dropping.
Speaker 1: Raw If cal Rawley's name was like John Stevens and we were just looking at his stats and be like, get this guy the hell out of here, I'm it's it's it's tough. Like I am a long term believer in Raleigh. I don't know if this is the year. It seems like he's hurt. Everything is down across the board, the barrels, the heart hits, the exit velocities, everything looks bad. I'd probably take Moreno. I probably wouldn't drop Raleigh yet, but like maybe I would, honestly I might. Like in a one catcher league, I think you can. There's just so many good catchers this year. Is that again? A one catcher league is that it gets safe to move on and two catcher leagues I get holding on to Raleigh. But if it's just a single catcher, ten or twelve teamer, I'm finally it's justified to move on.
Speaker 2: I'm finally good. As I've gotten older and been through the trials and tribulations of this game, I'm not afraid to make moves. Like Welsh and I talked above Ladito yesterday. I said, I get a world with someone had a listener question and maybe it was in the Q and A we had like he had two solid corner infielders, two solid first patients and the lady. I'm like, Lattin's the drop. Like as bad as that sounds like, that's just the one and Welsh couldn't do it. I get it. I get it. That's why I asked you the cal rowly part of this. It's just I'm at that part where I'll make the tough thing and if it backfires, are backfires. But I want what I could do right now for my team because we can't wait any longer. It's over.
Speaker 1: It's true. I mean, I'm just putting together like a little schedule for my guest Pie that comes out on Saturdays, and looking at the end of September, we're going to do like a disappointing stud seasons and what should we do with them next year? And cal Rawley will be the first name discussed on that showcase. The second round pick doing what he's done is catcher or otherwise, it's kind of unprecedented. A couple more headlines we're going to talk about in a second, but first I want to remind you guys about my playbook to manage your fantasy baseball lineups and dominate your leagues. With my playbook from Fantasy Pros, the suite of powerful tools to help you make better decisions, manage your lineups, and win your leagues. Import your team to get custom fantasy baseball news, rankings, and analysis. You can sink your leagues today at fantasypros dot com slash MLB my playbook, or you can download the Fantasy Pros app Let's talk Christian in Karnassi o on Strand, and I would bet that this name has not been mentioned at all on the show this year. I'd be surprised if he has. But Christian karnassion Strand is actually looking not too bad. He had a really good first game of the doubleheader yesterday, went three for four, hit a homer, hit, a homer a couple of days prior as well. There's a guy who kind of took the fantasy baseball seen by Storm in twenty twenty three. He debuted in Cincinnati, thirteen homers in sixty three games. He hit two seventy really nice power metrics, and then he had almost like a Jordan Walker type of falloff after a good rookie season, two years of injury, washouts, time in the minors, no productivity at all. Is there a chance that Christian karnassi and Strand is able to recapture what we saw as a rookie? I see people in the chat are already already talking about Christian Karnacian Strand. I don't really believe in him, but I just wanted to put the question out to you, Bubba. Any world where you're picking him up and hoping that he's able to get back to what we thought he could be.
Speaker 2: He's a streamer for me, just for the fact that he's playing versus left hand and pitching. They haven't proven they're playing him every day, so he's a short side plat two, and they faced a lot of lefties because if people aren't keeping track at home, if you face the Red Sox. You're facing nearly every left he they have because that's all they have, and they just played four against Boston, I believe, so I need to see more now. If he plays every day deeper leagues, he's enticing because third base is rough. I think the bigger fallout here, not just like ces ryding Wright's hot, like he's going to struggle nineteen homers. Driple A is good. The bigger concern is, like people thought when the third base opening came up with another recent entry in Baltimore, that Kobe Mayo would finally get his chance. That ship has definitely sailed on that potential prospect. So I just want to throw that out there as well, because some we're hoping he'd get some love, but it looks like ces is getting that for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they kind of hugged their prospects a little bit too much over the last couple of years. I don't know if Hessen Kirstad has really much value at this point. Got h it's crazy, yeah, cade Povich and a few others like you know, I think, especially when you have that many top prospects who are mostly infielders, you got to trade a couple of them. You got to do something now. The stours for Rogers trade looks all right, but I think that they kind of missed their window to make a couple more moves there. Move off a Keearstad, move off, move off of a couple of these guys anyway, just to try and recoup some value in other areas. But I think they held their hand a little bit too long. Let's wrap up the headlines with south Stewart. He had his twenty first homer of the season. There have been some ups and downs this year, for sure. He came out like a bat of the hell in April, pulled off a little bit, but the overall line is very good. He'shitting two forty nine with a three twenty seven on base rate, four seventy two slug eleven stolen bases, twenty one homers, and seventy four RBI, which is good for fourth in the majors. And you look at his multi position eligibility. I wonder if south Stewart's a top thirty thirty five pick next year, especially considering that ballpark. Bubba, what have you thought of his rookie season and how do you think you'll approach him next year In drafts.
Speaker 2: I liked him a lot this year. I was afraid to pay this is the Helium rose, and I'm mad at myself for that. He's got the first base third base eligibility that should carry over to next year. Yeah, is still a little short on second base in most formats, but you know, the average is what it is. I didn't expect him to be an elite average hitter with two fifty plays. It's more of the power to speed that he's gonna get thirty home runs and get at least fifteen steals by the season. Like that is outstanding for a corner infield that's outside of the and he's probably over one hundred RBI's outside of like the lower average. It's like a poor man's Jay Ram right there. Like that is great stuff. So he's gonna be worth every bit of a top thirty pick, probably, I just due to the position, Like you know how it is, Joe. So third base, you have Jay Ram, and there's always like Machado and a cup like Riley, Like Stewart goes over Riley Amachado to me, like because of the steels. So he's gonna sit there in that second, maybe third round in a fifteen team league, which miss fourth or fifth in a twelve or whatever. Like, I think it's been worth every penny. He's only twenty two. We might not have seen the best yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, you miss Cavion. It's great, but it's okay. Yeah, But like South Stewart for the whole season as a whole is a twenty second overall player, So I think it's reasonable to talk about him as a second round pick. I know he's first and third right now. If you're talking a twenty game threshold. If you are playing on Yahoo, which I feel like a lot of you guys probably are, he's already there for first, second and third eligibility. You could have him or Miguel Vargas next year. Which way would you go?
Speaker 2: Bob? I would go with South Stewart, But that is zero slight of Miguel Vargas. I love me and Miguel Vargas. I have no problems with Miguel Vargas. That is just I think the power, speed and the ballpark for South Stewart just leaned to much more love from me.
Speaker 1: I think I agree. Yancey. Good to see Yancey Eaton in the chat in a while. My friend, Uh, we're gonna move out of the headlines and we're gonna do a little bit of a deep here. I wanted to talk about Nick Gonzalez because Nick Gonzalez is having an incredible season, but there's nothing really below the surface that would suggest he should be having this type of incredible season. He's slashing three eleven, three sixty nine, four thirteen, six homers and four stolen bases. And what is the third ranked offense in the BIGS this year. I know it's kind of hard to believe, but by WRC plus buyers are the third best offense. Gonzalez has taken a step back in terms of his exit velocity, launch angle, barrel rate, heart hit percentage, bat speed, pretty much every other metric that we have to look at. You guys can see it on screen here if you're watching on YouTube. A lot of blue on the stat cast page and yet a breakout season. It looks like for Nick Gonzalez, what have you thought of what he's done so far this season? Are you buying into it? Is this a player that you would be looking to buy if it's sa a dynasty context, only twenty seven years old? Still, what is your evaluation. Tell you, Bubba about Nick Gonzales.
Speaker 2: Very good contact hitter this year, very batting average, solid babip. I'm trying to be nice. The power and speed don't do it for me. He's a much much better real life player than fantasy is the way I would say now deeper leagues, Nickens always has plenty of viability. He's what Luisa Ryes used to be before this season, where he's just kind of jumped off the page. He's one of those kind of profiles. But really he's gonna score a ton of runs, which will be good because he's getting on base so much, which which is also good. But outside of that, like he's a two to maybe three category guy stuck for deeper leagues.
Speaker 1: It's kind of where I'm at as well. Like as much as I like Nicknzalez, and I've been a fan of him over the last couple of years as like a plug and play type of guy, you pick him up when you need a couple of weeks of second base production. I worried that he might get overdrafted a little bit next year based on the surface level stats. I know, six homers, four steals is anything crazy, but people see a three hundred average close to an eight hundred oh ps and a good lineup with multi position eligibility, and I wonder if people might overrate him a little bit. Just wanted to throw a little bit of cold water. I do agree Nick Gonzalez for this year, for right now. I think he's a perfectly startable player, but not somebody that i'd really be married to in the long run. Let's move on and talk about a couple of fun facts. This one is pretty cool. Max Munsey moved into fifth place in Dodgers history with his two hundred and twenty ninth homer hit, his twentieth of the season on Wednesday. In La Dodgers' history, this is the second highest home run total because there's obviously the history in Brooklyn before. Is that kind of surprising, Bubba, that Max Munsey, if you look at the storied history of the Dodgers, is top five at home runs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is. It's surprising when not a guess that I know he's been there his entire career. Like he's made a point that he's quote unquote taking discounts because he wants to stay in La forever. And a lot of these guys say and you know, obviously, when is he taking a discounts to question, because they just spend money. But yeah, it's kind of surprising. I know he had some monster years, but twenty nine seems low for a franchise like the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: It's true, like you, it seems low from both points. Like Munsey has had I think four or five thirty home run seasons, I would have thought that he would be a closer to three hundred anyway, And I also would not have thought that they'd be anywhere close to top five in terms of history of the Dodgers, one of the most story teams, about the most story team in the history of the league. Max Munsey is top five in terms of home runs for the franchise. Yancey asking the important questions here are a Rico and Bubba wearing the same glasses. I'm not sure these are a pretty generic brand here, nothing too crazy. I went for the discounts last time I got them filled. You got any fancy brand name going on there, Bubba?
Speaker 2: It probably is a fancy to some, but I go to the Costco Costco Eye Doctors, so it's at a discount. The brand is guess, but I guarantee you they weren't as expensive as people think. I have to go to the they had like six options for big heads, and this was one of them. That's just the way it went. I don't get to I don't get to shot most of the wall on there. I get like this area.
Speaker 1: So yes, lastest shopping is an event. At first Pitch Arizona, we'll see. I might be able to film some content at the Kirkland Ice Store. We'll see what happens down in Arizona. One more fun fact here, Salvadra Perez now tied for the all time home run lead in Royle's history with George Brett. Another thing that's like, what how.
Speaker 2: That's more believable than Muncie though it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. My dad I grew up only hearing about George Brad, who was his favorite player. In my mind, I thought that George Brett had a lot more than three hundred and seventeen homers. By sal Perez already tied. So I guess it brings up the question that I've asked a couple of times over the years. Will sal Perez have a plaque in Cooperstown?
Speaker 2: I think you will, But yeah, I just pulled up George Brett's page. He had a lot more less than twenty homer in seasons than we thought. But that's just the era of base what we played in. But Salvi will have a plaque like he's he's he's always buying the dish. Did the amount of games he played over and over again just like an iron man in version of catchers is what he did. The power he showcased. There's so many good stories about Savy that play into how Baseball views their Hall of Fame. There's so many things like that that Salvi should if he doesn't. If Piazza has one, Salvi has to have one, is the way I look at it. So that should play one quick story and we can move on. So I don't know if you saw it, but others probably did Salvi hit When the straightaway center it went in the fountains. Somebody in the fountain area jumped over into the fountains, grabbed the ball and hopped back and he had a Salvi jersey on him. Dude got arrested for hopping into the fountain. Salvi went on social media to the case police department said please release him. He got me my ball back. He was just having a good time as all I would have jumped into and then he goes, thank you for doing your job, but please release him.
Speaker 1: Did they let him go?
Speaker 2: I'm assuming so at that point, but because the guy didn't even realize it, it was just like spontaneous. He hops in and then hops right back out, grabs his beerd he's watching the game. Didn't even think twice about it. It was no big deal than the cops came and got off.
Speaker 1: He went, hey, you probably you know, I'm not sure when in the game that was, but you're sure the jedial was like an it was late. Yes, So he's had a couple of alcoholic beverages. He's feeling no pain. He sees the ball coming, Salvey hits it probably didn't even realize it was a tying home run for George Brenton, just hopped over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always remember David Freeze's home run the center in the World Series in twenty eleven, and then like everybody ran under the middle field there at Bush Stadium to capture the ball back. I think in certain moments you kind of lose yourself and just you just go for the ball. Well, do a little three up and three down. C J. Abrams, who has been talked about a lot this year, and for good reason. Four for five with a double, a run scored, and a stolen base. Just an incredible year from him. Brooks Lee two for four with a homer and four RBI. And Brady Singer. I thought I would give him some love because he's especially Welsh. Is bashed on Brady Singer a lot this year, but six and two thirds, three run ball while striking out six a really solid day for him. The Downs are made up of all one team, three players that were just awful yesterday, and three players who have been really productive recently, Ryan O'Hearn, Bryan Reynolds, and Ezmerlin. Valdez twenty six played appearance for them in the doubleheader against the Yankees. Fourteen strikeouts, four walks, which were all Valdez, and zero hits amongst the three of them. Bubba, any thoughts here on any of the ups or any of the downs, I'll give you the open floor, Abrams, Lee, Singer, any of the pirates, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I'll just quick hit all this real quick. Abrams. We talked about him a lot with well so the camera is the Q and A or not, but beast, absolute monster year. Can't wait to see where he lands in the shortstop hierarchy for next year's drafts. Brooks Lee underappreciated having a phenomenal season with multipositional edgibility, but I wanted to hit on Brady Singer. This dude has been awesome and again another pitcher that I say awesome, and it's maybe a loose term considering how bad pitching is. Singer has just been a steady machine. I wrote about him recently for a matchups call him. I do like three and runs or last and four straight starts in like nine of his last ten. He's getting you five plus k's every time out, Like he says, he's what you want from a pitcher like Brady's Singer. He's been very, very good and then real quick on the downs the Buckees. Let's remember how we started the show. Joe Game one, Garrett Cole Game two. Max Freed came off the IL and was awesome five innings with the ra with the rested bullpen. So I'll give him a grain of salt on that one. A little reprieve. You'd expect a little more from this offense because it's been so good. But I guess I'll take a plus out of it. Esmond Valdez walks four times in two games. That's not bad for a guy that strikes out thirty something percent of the time.
Speaker 1: We were in the outfield there in Arizona last year at the home runner, every stand up beside Welsh and Welsh was he knew this was common, like, just watch this guy and it was a home runner. But everybody's hitting the homers. But Esmond and Valdez was just spanking, just spanking the ball repeatedly into the opposite field. He went on top of a roof thing that nobody hits balls onto, like a special, a special power hitter. He probably will regress. The contact rates and the swinging strike rates are not great, but it's been a hell of a lot of fun right now while he's doing what he's doing. You mentioned Max Freed. We'll get to some of the injury updates. Returned from the IL looked great. Five innings of shutout ball, allowed just one hit, one walk, and struck out seven. Jose Ramirez activated from the aisle by the Guardians and hit second against the Twins. He went two for five with a run and two RBI. So two star players missed a good chunk of time, seemed to have come back and hit the ground running. Any lingering concerns for either Freed or Jayram over the rest of the season, Bubba.
Speaker 2: No, They babied Freed a lot to make sure he was ready to go. So I think here's your business as usual there, and Jayram didn't need a rehabit. He look like Jay Ram right out the gate on Wednesday. So we're back, baby.
Speaker 1: We are back, and we're looking like Edwin Diaz is going to be back to He threw a nineteen pitch bullpen session on Wednesday, scheduled to throw up to two more. I believe there's a potential for one on Friday and then one potentially on Sunday, so it looks like an activation early next week. Tanner Scott has done some really good work for fantasy managers. But are you preemptively dropping him in fab on Sunday or would you maybe give it a week or two just to see if Daz might need a little bit more time.
Speaker 2: I had to wait a week or two because I think we have to say we have two months of the season when Diaz comes back. I'm just for reference. I think Tanner Scott still gets you five to eight saves. For the fact that Diaz I don't think goes back to back for a long time. I think they make sure he stays good to go. Could be totally wrong, could be pure speculations, Like I know I have him in a fifteen team league and I am not dropping him. I'm probably still starting him for a little while, just because saves are so hard to come by. Tanner Scott's been that good. So but like, if you're not gonna attend team here and he got two or three other closers, yeah, go for it. But I think he'll still be viable.
Speaker 1: It might be a little bit of a unique situation. But I had a guy message with the message me the other day and he's got Baker, Duran, Grant Taylor, and Diaz, and he's like, what should I do with fore closers? Like four clothes is probably a lot. Take Grant Taylor and offer him to the Tanner Scott owner. So if you are in a position where you might have won too many closers or you have a big cushion for saves, take a look at the Tanner Scott owner, because they're probably going to be at least a little bit desperate over the next couple weeks trying to find some saves. I know in my home league, that's the situation that I'm in. Devin Williams alone, we'll certainly not be cutting it. Hello, is cool? Just followed the channel and Yancey Eaton as well. Really appreciate you guys, follow, subscribe, do all that great stuff, whether it be on YouTube, the podcast feed, here on Twitch, we really do appreciate it. As football starts to come in over the next couple of months, Football usually is the king in the fantasy sports world, but baseball is our true love here, so make sure you guys are following along helping us out here down the stretch. One more news on the Injury Front Show, Heyo Tani threw a bullpen session, but his timeline to return to the Dodger's rotation is still unknown. So what this says for me is that Trek Scoble Bubba will be a Dodger in about two weeks time, which maybe it doesn't happen. It feels like it's going to happen. But do we see Shoheo Tani pitch again in the regular season, or do the Dodgers just say there's no need to force it.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised because originally it sounds like he wasn't gonna do anything, and now he's sitting there throwing a bullpen session. I we might see him on some like short outings in September, just to see if they could use him in the postseason. I don't think they push it right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think they will. I don't think they should necessarily. I mean River Ryan, I know he had a couple of bad ones recently, but they like they have him, so now he's gonna be coming back like, there's no need to push it. And plus, we know what's probably gonna happen, whether it's Google or somebody else. They'll acquire a top tier pitcher. Maybe it's maybe it's Freddy Peralta and they fix him. Who knows, but they'll bring in somebody. Rest assured. Let's get to the home run board. Take a look at the home run calls for the day. Hi, Kobby in the lead at forty four, League Goldman at forty one, Whips at thirty eight, soflow thirty eight, solar flare at thirty eight, lots of competition at the top of the board. Hig Kby could start thrown away with it hasn't white happened yet, but you never know what will happen over the next couple of weeks. First place finisher, of course, we'll get that signed one Soto jersey. About where are you headed today for your home run call?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a trend with some of our action here in a minute, But I'm going to Detroit to Riley Green. Ryley Green's having a monster season, gets to Randy Dobnach, who he's had as goods as bads, and we've seen the bads. So also not to mention very short slate today, not a lot of options to choose from, like like two of the five games, so they are already going. So I'm gonna go with Riley Green coming at you on a Thursday night.
Speaker 1: Riley Green is a good option. I'll also be talking about Randy Dobnack in a second, but I'm going to take Corbyn Carroll for my home run call. He hit one yesterday. It seems like he's coming out of his slump. I mentioned him a couple of weeks ago with Welsh about. You know, he's not a typical by low, but after hitting one hundred for a month, you probably could have thrown a little bit of a low ball offer on Corbyn Carroll. I think he'll be just fine. He's facing Michael McGreevey tonight, who is having one of those kind of inexplicable great seasons when the numbers blow the surface don't really indicate that he should be. But I am taking Corbyn Carroll to leave the yard tonight and that will lead us into our Best Bets of the Day, brought to you by Hard Rock Fat. You know, it is kind of considered the slow part of the sports calendar, but it just means that baseball is on old display right now. There's no hockey, there's no basketball, there's no football. World Cup is over, It's all baseball time. There's almost a full slight every day, not today, but most days. If you a full slight to bet on same game parlays, you can lie bet every inning from the first pitch to the final out. You think baseball is too slow, think again. The average first inning last just seventeen minutes, making first inning bets one of the fastest and most exciting ways to get in on the action. So let's see how we're gonna get on the action today, Bubba, what is your bet looking like for Thursday?
Speaker 2: I'm going right back to Riley Green and the Detroit Tigers. Going to be Riley Green's runs, hits and RBIs over three for plus one thirty five. So basically, he goes deep. We're already at a push and we're gonna go that route. I think he at worst he drives in some guys as a big night because I don't think Domnick's that great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm also going Melton versus Daubneck here Tiger's run line. If Alex Chamberlain is listening, I sincerely apologize because I know you've loved Randy Dobnack for a long long time, but I don't think he's all that great specifically against Melton. Melton has been just phenomenal. So taking the Tiger's run line minus one point five at plus one ten. Go check out hard Rock Bet guys, if you haven't done so already. You get new promosts every single day. We're talking no sweat beats, profit boost bonus bets, and more. Open the hard Rock Bet app now and see what you've got today and sure. Hard Rock Bet is Florida is only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan, with more states on the way. Every day, down with the hard Rock Bet app and swing for the fences to day. Payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminol Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one A three to three play wise. In Indiana. If you are someone who knows a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio and Virginia, call one eight hundred My reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler, Bubba. That will pretty much wrap it up for us. Lots of fun. You know, with us, it's like riding a bike. You know, we can go six months withough riding a show. We do one and it feels like a great time every single time.
Speaker 2: My friend yep, always great. Looking forward to doing this quite a bit. Actually, we'll be back to tomorrow to do this.
Speaker 1: So yes, we will be back again tomorrow. Make sure you guys are subscribing to the channel, Liking the video, going to YouTube commenting, go to the podcast feed on Apple, go on Spotify, subscribe everywhere. Takes like five seconds. Subscribe, Like doing all that great stuff, doesn't take much to help us out here. Yancy asking to Bubba on the show daily. Bubba's gonna be on the show quite a bit. We're gonna have a bit of a rotating cast of characters here over the next couple months September, it's almost exclusively myself and Bubba. Over the next few weeks. You will see some Bogman, you will see some Welsh, you will see some of myself, you'll see some Bubba. It'll be uh, you know, you'll never really know what you're gonna get when you tune in on a given day in August September, it'll be mostly myself and Bubba, so make sure you guys are tuned in locked in on the channel for Casey Bubba. I am Joel Rico. We will talk to you next time right here on the Fantasy Pros Baseball Podcast. Thank It Easy, everybody.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball Podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros MLB