Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Me and M, the British modern luxury clothing label designed for busy women. Founded and designed in London. Me and M is about intelligence style. Much thought and care are put into the design process, so every piece is flattering, functional and made to last forever. Me and M is well known for its trousers and how I got to know the brand. It's my go to for styles that are comfortable enough to wear in the kitchen or the restaurant, also polished enough for meetings. Me and M is available online and its stores across London, Edinburgh, New York. If you're in London, I'd really recommend heading to their beautiful, brand new flagship store in Marlevin, which opens on the twenty ninth of October. There is one email I cannot wait to receive each year, and it always starts like this, Ruthy, Kim and I are coming to London. Can we have a table at the River Cafe and will you be there? Answer to the first is yes and to the second, well yes yes. When Michael McCarty walks in, he immediately fills the room with his warmth and his kindness. He knows what working in a restaurant means introducing himself, recognizing staff from his last visit, and checking out the customers. Sean Owen, our executive chef, told me that on Monday night, he walked up to her at the pass and praised in detail the grouse he had just eaten. Restaurants are, of course, but he knows best. When he and Kim opened Michael's in Santa Monica in nineteen seventy nine, they brought California cuisine to the world, artichokes, asparagus, tomatoes, and peaches grown in the sun and eaten under the sun. Ten years later, California came to New York when they opened Michael's in Midtown Manhattan. When my brother Michael also and his wife Bianca married in New York, there was only one restaurant they wanted to celebrate in. We are family, And when Michael and Kim leave, I'll say goodbye, knowing there'll be another email in a few months time, Ruthie, We're coming. Will you be there, And the answer will be yes. So here we are, here, we are, You're here in the River Cafe. The sun is coming. You broughtably. It was gray and grim, So what we'll do if you're happy to do that is start by reading the recipe for the grouse that you ate the other night.
Speaker 2: Well, the roast grouse. This has all of my favorite ingredients in it.
Speaker 1: Oh good, What are they?
Speaker 2: The ponchetta, the time garlic butter without butter butter, four slices thin panchetta, two large fresh time, one garlic clove, peeled and chopped, twenty five grams of unsalted butter. Two hundred and fifty mili liters aletico dipuglia. One grouse, plucked and cleaned. So you start preheat the oven to three hundred two hundred and thirty degrees. We're in England, so it's the puts it two thirty, place the times brig on the breast of the bird, cover with punchetta slices and tie the legs together.
Speaker 3: Put the grouse in a rusting tin and cook. Depending on the size and how rare you like the grouse, we serve them slightly pink. The easiest way to test for dunness is to pull the leg away from the body at the thigh.
Speaker 1: It's still blue.
Speaker 4: Cook for a little longer.
Speaker 3: Grouse very in roasting time because they differ so much in size.
Speaker 2: Remove from the oven and leave to rest two to three minutes and untie the string. Put over a medium high heat, add the wine reduced by half, return the bird to the pan, and coat in the juice is den serve This is delicious, served with cavello nero.
Speaker 1: Do you serve game in Michaels.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 2: We serve quail, squab, but they're off arm raised, beautiful low duck. Of course, we have great duck, but our squab is spectacular.
Speaker 1: Squab is the appeasial pigeon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your pigeon here and the quails are sensational. That's about it. You know.
Speaker 2: To me, I find pheasant unless it's perfect, it's too dry. I mean that grouse last night was spectacular.
Speaker 1: So tell me about growing up the McCarty household. Was eating important in.
Speaker 4: Your Yes, it was a very interesting.
Speaker 2: We grew up in New York in the Hudson Valley, in a little town called Briarcliffe, Manor. My dad commuted thirty years to New York. My mother he worked with General Electric. He was the founder of the corporate communications.
Speaker 4: For ge and the forties.
Speaker 2: In the late forties, right after the War, and he graduated from Michigan with my mother and they moved.
Speaker 4: To Schenectady, New York, which is where go there.
Speaker 2: The building is still there, and my father was put in a room and the guy who hired him said, this is your this is going to be your partner and doing this turned out it was Kurt Vonnegut. So my father and Kurt spent five years in that ge. Yeah, and they were there. If you look at some of his beginning books that were all take place in Connectedy, and then in about nineteen fifty they He went on to become a full time writer, and my dad moved to New York and City, but we remained. They remained friends all the way up until my father passed away. But at any rate, the whole crowd of my parents' friends loved to party. They entertained all the time, all seasons. We had a little beach shack in Missquarmiketrhode Islands. We were there and in Vermont in the winter, and everywhere we went, you know, we learned quickly, you know, what was growing there and how to cook it, and what were the traditions. And my mother and father, you know, it's not like today where everybody teleentrically talks about food, you know, it was.
Speaker 1: More like this.
Speaker 4: This would have been in the fifties and the sixties.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, I really got into this because of the The allure was the entertainment aspect.
Speaker 1: So they would have fun.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. We had huge party, huge parties.
Speaker 2: One party called the ten to ten and there were people that stayed from ten in the morning until ten at night. And there were like five different menus throughout that whole time.
Speaker 1: We participating or did you sit on the steps.
Speaker 4: And watch grabs?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: After a while, I was in the kitchen with my mother and she'd make her beef stragging off or she'd make you know, my father would make these like really good barbecue pork tenderloins and grill them and you know, and the whole thing. Again, it was always very simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me about the house with the kitchen. Was it a big kitchen?
Speaker 4: Well, my father, working for GE, we every house we moved to the appliances.
Speaker 2: She'd tear out the garden and she'd tear out the kitchen. Those are the two things. Yeah, And so she always had the latest ge you know, like I remember in New York at the one house we lived in, she put in the beginning of the modern sort of Jensen George Jensen super you know, modern refrigerators hidden in this into that and always but they always had a barbecue outside.
Speaker 1: She have a collection of cookbooks.
Speaker 4: She I gave her the Well she cooked basically from the New York Times cookbook and oh very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah sixties seventies. Yeah, that was that was the good cookbook. I introduced her to Julia Child after I got back from France, and we got her the Double Whammy, you know, the two cookbooks, and she poured over them.
Speaker 4: She passed away.
Speaker 2: Recently we got all the cookbooks back. We have them in a room in a box right now. We went through them once. But yeah, a lot of a lot of mementos.
Speaker 1: Before we leave home. Tell me about your growing up in your house, Kim was.
Speaker 3: My household was very different because when I was born in Los Angeles, but my parents were from Youngstown, Ohio. We moved abroad to outside of Genevan, a little area called Conch when I was five. My father said he couldn't get a job anywhere. He was a chemical engineering and he kind of figured out this paint company. So he was a great salesman going around places. So we my mother being from the Midwest, she saw, you know, all this fresh salad in Geneva and all this stuff, but it had bugs in it. And they were very post war, you know, fifty sixties. So we had to go to like we were like army brats. We went to the canteen and got chef's boyard and iceberg lettuce and American candies, and.
Speaker 1: That's what we would eat fair enough. Yes, So she didn't know the place, the language, probably, and so she looked for.
Speaker 3: So we were always at the dentist because we had so many cavities.
Speaker 4: And yes, it wasn't until much much.
Speaker 3: Later that we realized that all the nutrients that were in these you know, food could cheese to be in excellent, excellent And for the I mean I was there from five to sixteen.
Speaker 1: Was what did they entertain? They did?
Speaker 3: They did not that much, not that much because my father was one of those men who were always traveling, always traveling, so we did not. It was very, very differct because Michael's family, Michael's family was all about food. My family, I was a family of three girls him a family of four boys, so we always had to be on diets, you know, because my father is very strict that way.
Speaker 4: They're pickers. They pick all day.
Speaker 1: Oh I see little bit sol day, little bits all day. Did you leave home at an age to go to college or where you went to front?
Speaker 2: I went to France as a junior in high school. So I'm sixteen and I got accepted to this program school year abroad. They had one in ren Brittany and one in Barcelona, and fifty young kids eat from all over and we would go and they put you in a family and you spend the year there and then you know, your brain is still clean, so you really pick up the fluency of the language. But the night before I got on the boat, my parents took me to Laurent, which was one of the.
Speaker 4: Classic you know, lives and lies in New York.
Speaker 2: And it looked like Maxims and it was September, and it was everybody was stunning, and everybody dressed up in those days and they were all tan, and they were all eating and having a big time going this is just like my parents' parties. About halfway through the meal in walks, the owner and the whole electricity level in the room ratcheted up like there was no tomorrow. He started working the tables like we do, you know, and you're greeting all your friends and your guests, and you're meeting new people, and it's a riot, and everybody's going crazy about the food and all of that. And then at the end of the meal, had his glorious meal. And at the end of the meal, you know, they bring a check. And I said, well, now this makes sense because my father a businessman, you know, I go back and forth, they go, wow, this is a throw party, and then give everybody a check, you see, so it's a business. The next day I get on the boat and it is the SS Aurelia, which was his last voyage. But it had fifteen hundred school year abroad students, most of them except for the fifty of us were in college, and it was run by the Italians. So and it took eleven days to get to Laharvo.
Speaker 4: Eleven eleven. I was like, you do do do?
Speaker 1: I went it was five?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, no, no, this was a tanker.
Speaker 2: And at any rate, you know, they had five meals a day, they had boothe yeah, so it was sixteen.
Speaker 4: I was sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was pretty rowdy eleven days. But then I landed in laharv and I went to put in my family. And my family was a very interesting Bretton family, you know, classic folklore, love Britney.
Speaker 4: Guess what they did all the time?
Speaker 2: Eat, party, party, eat. They had a house on the beach like we did. They had one in the country. They had a nine hundred year old chatteau that had never seen repairs and maintenance for eight hundred and sixty of those years, and bathroom one open, you know, I mean, it was completely crazy. But I'd go down and there'd be the person that grew all the vegetables, the one who did the chickens, the one who did the beef, the pork.
Speaker 4: And that's who explained to me.
Speaker 2: The Eeko hotelier, the French hotel and restaurant school if you wanted to be a chef. We didn't have those in America. So then I went back to Paris.
Speaker 4: Spent the first half of the seventies in Paris, and that did it.
Speaker 1: You just studied cooking there.
Speaker 4: Yes, I graduated.
Speaker 1: Did you want to cook or did you want to be ann?
Speaker 4: Well? I realized early on I wanted to have a restaurant.
Speaker 2: When I realized early on that you had to be a good chef, and it helps, it helps, well, you know, you have the classic idea, you know, your chef walks out of you on a Saturday night, what happens. So it was sort of that ingrained in the fact, but I really got into it, you know, I mean living in Paris.
Speaker 1: What year were you in Paris?
Speaker 4: It's seventy two three of that.
Speaker 1: That's when I was there. Were you, Yeah, because Richard was building the Pompadou that's exactly when.
Speaker 4: That's exactly when it was happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were, we were, so we must have.
Speaker 4: Because Leo was still there.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And where did you live in Paris?
Speaker 2: I lived in several places. I lived right next to the rue Uftau, the market, yeah, the Yah, and then I lived down El San Luis in the beginning, and it was what were you doing?
Speaker 1: Did you work in restaurants?
Speaker 4: I worked one night in the three star restaurant. It was less Air, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I said that's on the on the right back, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And after working one day there, I said, this is not for me. You know, I can learn more eating in this restaurant in one meal than I can spending. You know, this was still the old archaic way of running restaurants. What was that, you know, where you are sentenced to the potatoes for six months. Yeah, and then they move on to the mushrooms. You know, it was still Remember this was the beginning of the new bell cuisine revolution and you had the Gone Mio had just opened and I was taught at the Cold on Blue which I went through for two and a half years. Oh yeah, and that's where I met Julia in nineteen seventy two. Yeah, child, you know, she had come back and Madame Brassal was this a little tiny owner. She said, Michael, I think you need to meet this lady. So we went to lunch and it was at two o'clock and by seven we finished lunch. So we became pals for the rest of her life.
Speaker 1: And so you were at the Court of You studied restaurant or did you.
Speaker 2: I studied that was cooking, that was entirely cooking. And then at the Eco hotelier you study in the three years, you study all three You studied cooking mostly, then management, and then dining room. My first restaurant was actually in Anio, San Luis.
Speaker 4: It was a.
Speaker 2: Totally illegal could have come. It was as big as this room. It's at twenty people. Yeah, and uh, you know I Selouis was a different town in those days. It was more like a village and had two fish guys three.
Speaker 4: Weeks oh fabulous, several Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, my cooking school got out of about seven every night, so I would pre order the night before from everybody there.
Speaker 4: Wow, and then they would it would be on.
Speaker 2: My doorstep when I got there, so I could cook for my thirty or forty people.
Speaker 1: And what did you cook?
Speaker 4: Well, that was the beginning of how I sort of created what the modern American New American food. Again, like you did last night with the with the grouse. You know, you take a protein the market, you got really simple herbs, you use butter, you use salt and pepper, and you accompany it with like a little pasta or little little vegetables, you know, but very simple and stunning fish. You know, everything we did all that, we began to compose the South.
Speaker 1: That's a good fish because you know, we lived in the Marie, we lived on the Route Descent, and then we lived in the class and honestly, I used to get my laundry done on the There was that launder bat and I chose it because, you know, you crossed the sin every day to get your laundry, and I thought, well, in the city would their baby, then you could cross the scind to have your you know, your sheets washed. It was. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was an amazing the first half of the seventies in Paris.
Speaker 1: How long was your How did your restaurant exist?
Speaker 4: Well, it was totally illegal and a totally fake.
Speaker 2: It was in the bottom floor of a friend's building, Okay, And I just ran.
Speaker 4: At that one year and then you came back to and then I.
Speaker 2: Graduated while I was in school. Once I graduated in seventy four, I came back and that's sort of where I learned what it means to run a restaurant.
Speaker 1: The River Cafe Cafe are all day space and just steps away from the restaurant is now open in the morning an Italian breakfast with cornetti, chiambella and cristata from our pastry kitchen. In the afternoon, ice creamed hoops and River Cafe classic desserts. We have sharing plates, Salumi, misty mozzarella, Brisquetta, red and yellow peppers, Vitello, Tonado and more. Come in the evening for cocktails with our resident pianist in the bar. No need to book see you here. Did Michael cook for you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Actually, this is an interesting story if I can just say that the first meal in my apartment, he said he's going to bring me dinner. So I had a little cat. I was then, you know, doing my design projects all night. And he comes and he knocks on the door and he has two live pheasants and it's like, what like live and he lets them fly around the apartment and there's like they're going nuts nuts. So I grabbed my cat, I shut him and.
Speaker 1: Lock him in the apartment and I fly you left him in the part.
Speaker 2: I was doing two ways of preparing them, but I had to start with you know, part of the theory was how do you how do you prepare them?
Speaker 4: She ate it when she came back.
Speaker 1: I did not eat it. I did not. Was there a dessert?
Speaker 4: No, no, The dessert was in the dessert.
Speaker 3: When we were in going to school on Boulder, Colorado, and Michael was teaching French cooking, and French. My roommate who said for the final you know, they would be bringing a raspberry sou fle.
Speaker 4: And then I was just in.
Speaker 1: I was in, food is seduction. It is, it is. You know, so many people can remember, Oh by your Friends in his podcast that he remembers cooking for Willow, the first thing he cooked for her. And you know, there was Michael Kaine's movie The Hipcress File where he's you know, and I think food for you know, male or female is part of It's very seductive. I think for women to have a man cook sexy, don't you think.
Speaker 3: But at that time, again, just going back to forty now forty eight years, no young college person was a cook.
Speaker 1: Mail was a cook.
Speaker 3: So everybody it was an extremely extremely suspicious my family, what chef?
Speaker 1: You're kidding?
Speaker 3: You know, Now it's a very elevated thanks.
Speaker 1: So we actually haven't started with Michaels because Michaels was your first major, major restaurant. It's still there. Yeah, it's a restaurant that really brought the world a kind of way of looking at a restaurant, which was could be delicious food, incredible ingredients and fun. It wasn't intimidating, to make you feel stupid if you didn't know why. And so you did that at Michael's and.
Speaker 4: So called US California cuisine.
Speaker 1: Yes, really it was.
Speaker 2: Calibarty was basically the first regional American food, you know, which doesn't sound as sexy, but that's what happened in California. That then moved to France, that moved to Italy, and that moved to England where instead of everybody cooking you know, remember I said I was taught at Scoffier cooking, but the new bel cuisine revolution was going on, so you could waiver back and forth. And learning the Escofia method was extremely important to me because that's the Latin of French cooking, and if you learn that fluently, you could speak ten other languages.
Speaker 1: It's like knowing poetry before you write, for you verses exactly.
Speaker 4: And so that is what you know.
Speaker 2: When we we sourced everything, we had to convince probably forty five different farmers to switch over to growing you know, broad leave arugula. They didn't have basil, and you wanted spices in those days, you went to the supermarket to the dry spice rack.
Speaker 4: You know, there was nothing unless you grew it in your house.
Speaker 2: But it you know again, and then that I mean, I remember the friend chefs coming over and they were going, you know what Nouvea becuz he sort of gave us the push, you know, out of the nest. But now we're going to go back and we're going to go back to our grandmother's food, you know, and we're going to remember where we grew up in Perry Gord or in Brittany or wherever, and we're going.
Speaker 4: To begin to go focus on that. I remember Michel Garard.
Speaker 2: We're eating at the buttau Fook and he says, I'm moving, yeah, And I said where you go? And he says, my wife has this cool place down outside of Bordeaux.
Speaker 4: He goes down there in the middle of nowhere. It creates this whole.
Speaker 2: Thing based on that environment down there, and it was just this beginning of that.
Speaker 1: Did you find that it was tough in the beginning. Did people come to the restaurant and say, Wow, this is amazing or was it hard to get Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was people were surprised that it was so. I mean, Michael was twenty five when we opened. Did you have investors who know I mean a loan unmotunately, things did not cost what the costs now to build to build out a place. But also one thing about Los Angeles and the way of dining is that everything was very dark and dank used to be. It was like the speakeasy feel that you would go to Dominic's. So to have a restaurant that had a garden in Los Angeles, whoa and then did not have the waiters wear tuxedo. You know, I just were you know, Ralph Lauren Polo.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I told Jerry Magden, who was in the food business, in the art business, and in the clothes business. His father owned magnets, and he's said, I'm not putting him in tuxedos. Do you have a little young America? Everything was about America. Do you have a young American designer that we could utilize his come over time? And he goes see at the corner over there, that big that's that's Ralph Lauren.
Speaker 4: He calls it Polo. I said, great, So we still New York.
Speaker 2: In New York use the pink Polo shirt with the reptie and the khaki pants and uh.
Speaker 1: And so your role in the restaurant was to be both of you front of house and changed the menus.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wrote the menus and then we had with our original crew. We had like a stunning roster and uh Nancy Silverton, Yeah, she was the night cashier and she said, I want to do that pastry prep thing, and so she did that at night and then she came into day and then I sent her to France to work at Lenoka and Plant and she came back and was our pastry chef and she fell.
Speaker 4: In love with the grill guy, Mark Peel.
Speaker 2: And they opened camp But before that they they went and opened Spago for Wolfgang.
Speaker 4: Then they opened Campani.
Speaker 1: Wolfgang was amazing too. Oh yeah, you think that. I remember going to Mount Maison and the eye that this French restaurant, and you know that it was great in the car park, wasn't it? But it was an incredible food and fun. But that you know, his next restaurant was basically Pizzaza was shocking, Yeah, shocking. Yeah, that was it and he did that and that was it. We we all friends, were you.
Speaker 4: From the beginning? Yeah? John?
Speaker 1: Thing I think is that when you start a restaurant, you know, everybody tells you how competitive and that throat. And what Rose and I found was people were so kind, you know. And when Rose died, the place was full of I think they were all calling each other and saying, you better get down there and help uti. But I mean I never knew that. But I've never found it that cut through. Maybe it's just the people that we deal with, people that we like to be with, the kind of restaurants we run. I think it's a good group, don't you Like for.
Speaker 2: Our sixteen for our forty fifth anniversary party, I had sixteen of my former chef's come back and cook and it was like, you know, five of the Barbravos stars now and all this and that, and they were all there and they had a blast, and we had four hundred people and they ate everything under the sun.
Speaker 1: Do you think the values that what you learned in those early early early days stayed with you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Completely?
Speaker 1: And what would what if you somebody was going to say I'm going to open a little restaurant or a big restaurant. Was do you have some values that you would say? I mean I have some, and I wonder what yours might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, again, I think you have to be completely clear on what your concept is and does anybody care about that concept? You know, there's a lot of people that randomly open places. You know, again, it's a combination of your location and what you're trying to put in that location. And today it's even it's the craziest I've ever seen it. In the mid seventies, there were six or seven restaurants in any major city in the United States.
Speaker 4: Now there's like.
Speaker 2: Thirty in every neighborhood. I mean, you come to la you can up believe it. And they keep opening and they keep closing, which is something that's always happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, the values are simple, you know. You you really have to have your idea down. You've got to understand the market today worse than before.
Speaker 4: You could be much more naive in the old days. And like labor cost and yeah, labor is the worst, you know, and fortunately, our ability to buy ingredients. I mean, the food we buy today is so unbelievable, unbelievable. I mean, you know, we started the Farmer's market and in Santa Monica forty years ago, and you say.
Speaker 1: We started the farmer's market.
Speaker 2: Who started the city of Santa Monica gave us the space as a community outreach, right, you know, it was very early on. Yeah, and in Santa Monica was a tough city. I was chairman of the Arts Foundation. We did a lot of public art and they thought that the idea of this would be good, and we said, are you kidding? And so they put it together and you know, then we had to find Remember during seventy five to when I opened in seventy nine, half my battle was finding farmers to grow the products that we wanted. And you know, we brought all the seeds in for France. I flew in duck eggs. We started a duck farm because that was the one product that was not up to snuff.
Speaker 3: We'd go to the airport at two o'clock in the morning to pick up fish and cheese.
Speaker 4: My big mistake was not founding fedeggs.
Speaker 1: We I mean time, we didn't have to go probably as far. But Rose and I used to bring back cheeses from We'd go to Italy and bring back parmesan. You know, there's a famous story about Rose ordering to bring back a huge pumpkin and they wouldn't let her put it in package, so she poked a seat for the pumpkin. Yeah, she put a seat, and then it turned out that that was the only seat. The head was in club class, and so we always said the Pumpkin came back club and we came back.
Speaker 4: And I love it.
Speaker 1: And you know, one of but now, the access to ingredients. I remember there was when we did our first cookbook, Random House said that we had to trial. Maybe it's the New York Times that a woman who lived in Maine and she had to be able for every recipe that was in the book, be able to buy the ingredients within forty miles of her house.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know, so I forget salted anchovs, salted kickers or you know. But California, we always do think of California as the farmland of oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Great, well, you know it. It was a very interesting time.
Speaker 2: I mean, Alice Waters in, Jeremiah Tower and Mark Miller and Berkeley, and you know, they had wonderful growing regions around there. Plus they had the fish and us down in southern California. We had a little country called Mexico that had one of the greatest, greatest growing regions. And our own area vent tour north of US is called the Ox start Plains one of the five biggest, best growing regions in the world. And you know the strawberries had come from there, Harry's berries everything.
Speaker 1: You know, it's tomatoes. And you were involved in the restaurants from the very beginning.
Speaker 3: You know, just by default. I mean I was in design school. I always have always had an art practice. But yes, fortunately, you know, it's a mixed thing because with Michael having many different restaurants at some point someone when in Denver, went in Detroit, Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: When he wasn't traveling.
Speaker 3: I always felt the responsibility of having a presence there.
Speaker 1: And that being said, I mean, as you know.
Speaker 3: In the restaurant business, and a lot of the men that own the restaurant businesses, they don't want their wives involved. Michael is a very you know, he's a generous person. Because even though it was a lot of work on my end, I was fortunate that I could actually be involved.
Speaker 2: Also, what was also very important is that we had such we were such a gathering place for all the artists.
Speaker 4: It's Anamonica in Venice.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the artists.
Speaker 4: Oh listen, I mean we had.
Speaker 1: Deep and corn at Hockney. I mean Robert Graham who you know.
Speaker 3: I mean that was really Venice was the kind of hub then and also for the past since we opened, we always had a space upstairs that I always put up shows of all the arts. So like you know, I even did shows of Ed Ruscha, the playwright, David Mammott.
Speaker 4: Because he's a photographer, photographer.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I used to teach I myself used to teach a class for architects, so all the architects. I would do a lot of shows for them, and it was so charming because here there they were all competing on big projects. These were all the la architects. And then they'd have their painting on the wall and they go, oh, I'm so nervous, I have my painting on the wall.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was like so personal for them.
Speaker 1: If you like listening to Ruthie's Table for would you please make sure to rate and review the podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, O, wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you. What about the move to New.
Speaker 2: York, Well that we did in nineteen eighty nine, again, like Kim was pointing out, those days of restaurants were totally dark, Yeah, totally you know, what do you call the red velvet curtains. You could be there at noon and it was like you were there at midnight. And so we're sitting in this dark bar. We walked through this dark, cavernous thing and open up the back door and there's this huge garden out in the back and I go back quietly and I say.
Speaker 4: This is it. This is the place I can tell I know exactly yet. And what's Sea Dress twenty four West fifty fifth.
Speaker 1: So that's right in the theater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're right just above the just above the.
Speaker 1: Also in a lot of media television, all.
Speaker 2: The whole media world was there. Everybody's still there. Yeah, but all the italent agencies were there, you know.
Speaker 1: I see them.
Speaker 4: Was on the corner. William Morris.
Speaker 1: Was that the days of the three martini lunch or that.
Speaker 2: It was the beginning of the transition out of that funny enough because.
Speaker 3: And women and women becoming a major business women. Yeah, that was the.
Speaker 1: Big interesting thing. Well, tell me about the Well I think that also.
Speaker 3: Well, since I've always been a salad eat, you know, Michael started adding salads and greens to and the men were being concerned about their diets and how they were looking.
Speaker 1: But I think since.
Speaker 3: Michael and his staff were the first that really engaged with the women that walked in the doors, and they felt comfortable, they didn't feel like they were put upon, you know, and they felt like they were given some you know, gredence. And they all just started to come there. And then when all the women started, of course all the men come too.
Speaker 1: And it's always.
Speaker 4: Felt it was a very big literary Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ed always came, always, yes, it always came yeah, my brother Michael, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And but all the agents from IM and CIA and William Morris came, and most of.
Speaker 4: Them were women. Remember something. We I found the place in nineteen seventy nine. It took me until nineteen eighty nine to make the deal with it. Young we know, Wow, he was seventy eight.
Speaker 1: We started seventy nine when you opened Michael's.
Speaker 2: Yeah in LA and we were supposed to open in nineteen eighty and I was so wedded to this place that I waited until nineteen eighty nine. He calls me and he says, okay. So that was one of the reasons we took off like a bat out of hell. There was because during that entire ten year period anybody from New York that came to La eight in our restaurant, So we had a complete list of people.
Speaker 4: That knew who we were when we opened. It just took off like a bat.
Speaker 1: If you were thinking now about the changes, people always say to me, I've never been interested in trends or fashion or what's going to be the next big thing at all. You know, I just say, we just try and do better. You know, we try and do better. But do you find that people who eat in the restaurants now are a different kind of crowd. I kind of think that here in London and they've become more interested in food, They're really interested, you know, that they're more traveled, that they're interested about wine really and do you think they've also become more more did you find that people are more demand they would eat off menu or you.
Speaker 2: Know, unfortunately the kind of style of the cooking we do is so accessible and we made it that way, you know, as Kim said, you know, we were in the land of the bounty of the greens, and so the vegetables and the nobody had a salad on their menu. You know, you ordered to sell I bear. Remember how the French they would eat it after dinner. Yes, you know, God forbid they had cheese. But Coleman Andrews could never get over the fact that we had this unbelievable dessert table that had a cheese plate on it that was bigger than the desserts.
Speaker 4: And that took a lot of getting people too used to it.
Speaker 1: Americans. When I was growing up, you'd have cheese like with your drinks in the beginning.
Speaker 4: Always always no.
Speaker 2: But I mean I think that the explosion of the different kinds of food, or remember something. When I opened in seventy nine, you wanted Italian food. There were two kinds. Northern Italian with the white sauce, Southern Italian with the reds.
Speaker 4: That was it. There was none of this regional stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean it was there, but nobody ate it and arrest but Chinese food, same thing, fake Chinese food. This is before the Japanese went nuts and the Thaie and the Vietnamese and everything. I mean, it's so widespread now, it's like, as I say, the revolution was televised, it's working, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it is exciting. I think you know, as you say there it can be difficult. We can't say, yeah, we try and say yes.
Speaker 3: I think these days you say yes to everything.
Speaker 1: Don't you think it makes like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world, the restaurant world is definitely not in a great place. It's especially in America. Least we have a ton that are closing. You know, it is so costly to operate in America today. People keep talking about inflation in the cost of food. Is it that's expensive? But it's not like labor costs.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And you asked earlier about what kind of advice would you get give to someone young wanting to open a restaurant, I said, get a great least. That's the number one reason why restaurants go out of business. They can't afford you know, they got stars in their eyes and they go, yeah, sure we'll sign that, you know, and you can't afford that.
Speaker 4: You know. It's fundamental rules.
Speaker 1: So food is you know, restaurants are all this excitement and they're also fun and friendly, but they're also comfort and so is food. Food is matty things. Food is something that you want to share or when you have excitement because you're in a new city. But it's also comfort. So if you had to go to food for comfort, is there a food would you like to go for as kid.
Speaker 3: Well, I probably would always go for your stratch of Tell ice cream.
Speaker 1: Oh oh as oh because actually my fond that it had to be from the River Company.
Speaker 3: No, but I definitely because my father who always felt that we ate too much, but we would always give. We give him like leaders.
Speaker 4: Buy them from you your strate.
Speaker 3: To Tell ice creams and in the middle of the night we'd all go scoop and.
Speaker 1: Skeep the ice cream in the middle. It was just would bring such joy.
Speaker 2: It's an accurate statement from Kim because her favorite thing in the world is dessert and ice cream in particular, she could dispense with the rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just have us. I love us. What was your comfort food?
Speaker 4: Oh? I got too many.
Speaker 1: I mean it's insane. You don't have rules here.
Speaker 2: I am a pork guy. I'm a consummate pork chops uh, fresh time grilled, pan seared. I find the veal and pork are best pants seared.
Speaker 4: Uh. And I'm a big fan of Bays English muffins.
Speaker 2: You may not know them, but they are from Chicago and they're particular that my mother we they're they have a certain baking soda taste to it. It's not sour though, it's not white, it's not wheat, and it is spectacular. And I do that with Lando Lakes butter and chunky peanut butter and Smuckers strawberry.
Speaker 1: More and more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I eat it with a slice of thirty.
Speaker 1: Year old butter. Peanut butter and.
Speaker 2: Strawberry and more butter on the top side more on top of the both both sides.
Speaker 4: You put the butter on, Okay, then you put the Then you put the peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Is it melted, So there's the butter. Is it hot?
Speaker 4: It's hot. Yeah, you toast it.
Speaker 2: You put that on it, Then you put the strawberry. Then you put the top on it. And you eat that with a big glass of milk and a side of compete thirty year old compte.
Speaker 1: That because it wasn't enough on it.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's the balance again, okay, the balance of that.
Speaker 1: Could I have one of those at Michael's?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's not on the menu in our brunch days.
Speaker 1: It's so bad for you, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Turkey BLTs is another one. The day after Thanksgiving. Yeah, we make turkey bl teas on those same English muffets.
Speaker 4: With a very thick tons of Helmans mayonnaise.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm coming home. Where does the mayonnaise go? This isn't the BLT doesn't go on that other.
Speaker 2: No, no, Hello, my father was a peanut butter and mayonnaise guy.
Speaker 1: So let's go have some food now and have some fun and some hungry aleviation and comfort. Thank you very much, thank
Speaker 4: You, thank you time