Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tori Spelling and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, how are you? I'm okay, how are you? Friend all?
Speaker 3: I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I wish I could hug you right now.
Speaker 3: I know me too, I can see me too.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, is it summer break yet?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And uh is that maddening if you could look at like the art.
Speaker 3: My office is like the guest bedroom also, and it is just stacked with Scarlett's going to sleep away camp a couple of days. She's totally terrified at first. Well, she went once for a week, which was like a total shi t show. It was like bad wound up being like.
Speaker 2: Her entire class of girls.
Speaker 3: And like it just was wrong. It was like taking the school playground and then putting it in camp. Like it wasn't supposed to be like that. So somebody like broke their foot, people were fighting, you know, it was like ridiculous. So this is really the first time she's going for two weeks on the East coast, and so anyway, it's like stacked with you know, like all the stuff.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my gosh, that's okay, I have a podcast in the corner of my room. It's like bad kids. That's all I'm allowed. This is my work space.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have chills, and you're totally relaxed about it and it's not even my kid, Like, oh that would I know?
Speaker 3: I also, well, she she's an only child, right, so all this there are a whole host of things that she doesn't learn from just having to like share her space, her time, her focus like with other people.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: So this away camp is like super important for her to have agency and kind of grow up a little bit. Like she's super mature in one way in the sense that she can be around adults and can you know, have those conversations, but she also is a little bit like can you get me the water? And I don't want to do that? And I don't want to do that, like just sort of does what she wants to do. So I don't know. It just seems like super important. So I'm a little nervous too, like I'm going to miss her more probably than she will ultimately miss me. But it just feels like super important, like it has to happen.
Speaker 2: My kid just got her driver's license first one on.
Speaker 3: That Holy that feels scary to me.
Speaker 2: That feels I mean, at this point I wish you'd go to sleep away camp like this is I'm like, I haven't seen her.
Speaker 3: Right, She's like bye bye.
Speaker 2: Literally, I'm like whoa. And this is the one out of the five that was I would say the cleaniest. When she was younger, interesting, and I always had such worries, like like at times she would be like knitting next to me in bed and I'm like, you're fourteen, Like are you sure you don't want to go hang out with friends? She's like, oh my good, do you want to put on a movie? And I'm like, oh no. This is what.
Speaker 3: Worries me about my daughter. So this has made me feel better that she.
Speaker 2: She is not like fly be free transformation, like and this just happened. I would say last year, she's seventeen. Last year friend group all of a sudden, like it just everything changed. Now she got her license and it's just like bye bye.
Speaker 3: Especially in LA because everything you just you need a car, Like it's so so you really do you know, We're in San Francisco and it's you still you can't like walk everywhere, but it's such a small city that you know they'll just probably could just it's not you know it's not. I don't feel like it's as much of a you know, like a win for them. Like I don't know if she even wants to learn how to drive.
Speaker 2: Well, my eight year old he's fine with uber, right, firstborn. Yeah, and he's like, nah, I'm good, I'll get to it. I'm like, wow, Like when you were sixteen, did you get your license right away?
Speaker 3: I got? I remember I was dots in a dots in five ten and that was like one hundred and fifty years old when I started driving it. Yeah, loved. I think it's like sixteen. I think I think I was sixteen. But it was like that conditional one you couldn't. I could drive to school and work and then I would get busted. Like I would drive out at lunch and be like smoking out the window with like ten people in the car and then seeing my mom, you know, no, and I was pretend like it wasn't me. Is if she you know, I'd be like, oh, I don't even see what are you talking about? That wasn't me, And she's like, I'm looking right at you. It is you, and you're driving and you're not supposed to be driving. That I really yeah, Like you.
Speaker 2: Couldn't no back then. But back then they had to like go on foot or car or horse and buggy and trust and track us down. Like now, it's just like life three sixty. I know, I'm not like people are like I have TikTok addictions. I'm like I have Life three sixty addictions. Right, I will, I'm not kidding. I will sit and just stare at it. And it's like I can see all five, like not all five because bows home with me, but four of them moving, and I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like la la la, Oh my god, this is like fixated Harry Potter map. Did you guys ever watch Harry Potter. I'm still a Harry Potter fan. It's a night like comfortable safe place that map where they could see all the little feet the Marauders map. I forgot about it. You could watch all the little feet traveling around. I do feel it. Don't you think that there is like a but there's there has to be some sort of a balance between we get you know too much about our kids, Like we're too aware of what they're doing all the time, which is good for like safety, but then also I feel like, how do I let go of her? Like there's a certain amount of like they're supposed to do stuff on their own, you know, right, Whether it's like I try not to curate her life, but in some regard it's like if we don't create things to do, I don't know, she's like staring at a screen anyway. I've been thinking about this more and more of how like when she gets older, I'm probably going to be just like that, like where is she all the time?
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that's just my personal It's like an OCD thing, Like I'm not even that she's a good girl, so I'm not even that worried about her. It's like little known. Sorry, this interviews about you and I'm talking about me. But so it's like, yeah, here we go, let's talk about whatever. When I'm on an airplane and there's a screen, my favorite thing to watch is the airplane and tracking it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that too.
Speaker 2: For hours, people are like, do you know that's on? There's like movies here and TV shows. I'm like, no, it's my safe place. I like to just look at it. And that's what I do with life. Three sixty.
Speaker 3: There is something about that that plane thing that is suit that thing of watching that's soothing to me because it feels like life is suspended somehow, like I don't there's nothing really I'm supposed to be doing because I'm up in the air, so I have all this time to just sort of be, especially if I'm flying by myself, it's like heaven, Like really.
Speaker 2: I wanted too, Yeah, I could never. I mean my I have a fear of flying. I'm not like em Sugarman on a plane, but like I it's yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Ioughly forgot that. But you're getting better, right, getting better? Yeah, you've done it.
Speaker 2: You've done it by much semi refer formed scared flyer. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean that's probably why you get comfort out of watching the thing, because it's like, oh, we haven't we haven't crashed, We're still.
Speaker 2: Going, We're still in the still up there. I used to always have to look out the window and just like tracking, and people are like, we want to sleep, like we want the window shades down. And then I'm always like if I can, like I have to have a window seat. And I know people are probably like, oh, she's so bougie, like she like she's such a diva, And I'm like, no, no, no, I just need to look out the plane window because like Twilight Son traumatized me when I was young that there was like a little green man on the plane wing. Uh huh my god, Twilight's so oh I just pulled back.
Speaker 3: But still you're talking about like the original Like O G, I remember there were two that scared the Bejesus out of which too.
Speaker 2: I love this question.
Speaker 3: You realize that these people are trying to get like climb out of this thing and then in the end they fall out of it's a lamp post and they fall into the snow.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you just rode it for everyone who hasn't seen it. Oh wait, I love that one, the ballerinas in the box.
Speaker 3: Yes, something that there was another one with the mask those like yes, looking all I have an image of that. I don't remember what it was about, but like.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it right now. One's like a pig snout mask. It in my head. Oh wait, did you like this one? The one where they used to dive into the pool and they'd go down and they would come up somewhere else. Yes, Yes, that one, yes, yes, the one. I'm getting so excited right now.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, they were super scary, like the I mean, that's a lot of years ago, and those images completely are embedded in my brain.
Speaker 2: I can't get them out. Like and you guys like we're talking about well, I don't know if we're talking about the same one, but we're talking about the black and white version.
Speaker 3: Black and white version.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that were that old of you guys, But that's what we did have color TV TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was colored when we were kids, but there was also some black and white.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I just remember every summer Fourth of July they would screen all of them from like morning till midnight.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: It was God.
Speaker 3: So I feel like I always wound up hitting on the same episodes, Like I bet I haven't seen everyone same, Like I see the same ones.
Speaker 2: Wait, I wonder if that's a sign.
Speaker 3: That felt like, oh that's this is what I'm supposed to see this.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yeah, like energetically you were supposed to see those interesting. Actually I want my kids to watch it, but I feel like they'd be like black and white, I know, because the remake ones weren't the same for me.
Speaker 3: No, they were No, No, they were Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Want to talk to you about Clueless, but I feel like everybody talks to you about Clueless. Okay, I mean they did. We're known for Clueless.
Speaker 3: But you know, I just had a moment about this because we they just screened the film at the Academy last weekend and we did this panel Alicia Brecken, Mona, Mae Marshall, Ross and I and it was really you know, again, we're asked to like talk about this all the time, but something First of all, the event was super fun and like really special, and there was something about that event where I really just kind of settled in and I realized, oh, this movie really impacted people, like they really love it, and I don't That sounds so stupid that I am just realizing that, but it's almost like, I mean, I knew that obviously, but I felt like I really appreciated it in a new way that I hadn't before, where I don't have any kind of I don't have any weird feelings about it, you know, I don't like I did know that I did before. Your feelings like we're not weird, but sort of like it's impossible, And I know you get this too, you know, it's impossible to separate yourself from that when you're so associated with something right, So it's like it just inherently is a part of yours. If people ask like, oh, how does it feel to do this, well, I don't know, because I don't know what it.
Speaker 2: Feels like to not right.
Speaker 3: So I guess the weird feelings being. I think the older that I get, the more appreciative I am of it, and the more I think distance helps to just kind of really have gratitude, to see it with clarity, and the things that were hard about it are no longer hard. You know, it doesn't feel as.
Speaker 2: You've compartmentalized the trauma that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, you know, because there are like the years there's some years where I just felt like, oh my god, what am I doing with my life? No matter what else I do, no matter what other projects I do, people, I really the way I would do it. What are you doing right now? I'm like, oh, well, I'm doing this movie or this show. It's like, oh, yeah, okay, well we don't care about that, Like we don't. You know, it feels like your life has no meaning or something. So that is like a personal sort of adjustment that I had to go through, of feeling like I, you know, I may never have an experience like that again, and that's a huge gift that I had in the first place, you know, and sort of just moving through it all and all the things that's allowed me to do, you know, an artist as a creative person, as it gets, really afforded me many many other things in life that I feel really appreciative for. So I guess that's what I mean, Like, I don't feel any I don't know, I just.
Speaker 2: Like, how old were you when you got that girl?
Speaker 3: I was twenty, no, twenty hyman and I was twenty two one or twenty too, And so you know, I had done one other I moved to LA from New York and so because really what happened the year was it? The year before? No, that summer I tested for nine O two one zero. It was Tiffany oh right, and Meredith and the three of us, And obviously Tiffany got the role.
Speaker 2: Meredith for Valerie. Yeah, like wait, Meredith Salander, Yes, yes.
Speaker 3: It was the three of us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved her in the Journey of nat Again when I was a kid, Oh my god. And then we went on to go to school together. Oh you did, yes?
Speaker 3: Oh I wait, I never.
Speaker 2: Knew that she was at the third one testing.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I didn't know anybody, right, I didn't know Tiffany, I didn't know Meredith. I didn't I was like petrified. I remember your dad being so nice to me from the beginning, Like he just was so kind. I was like, ohh and I was super nervous. And then didn't get the job obviously, and then I went back to New York for like a month, moved to LA and I started working on Blossom, that TV show Blossom with my and they hired me for one episode and then we had great chemistry. I was playing Joey's like girlfriend love interest, and then they started they wrote more episodes for me, and then I got clueless, and then I couldn't do the show anymore. So everything kind of like happened quickly, and then gosh, and then I wound up going back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if you had gotten nine O two and O. I know it would have changed your whole journey.
Speaker 3: It would have changed my whole journey. I would have like a whole other then.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, wait, like Amber Valerie, I don't know which one I would know.
Speaker 3: It isn't that crazy because I could never have done Clueless. If I would is doing nine O two and O like I wouldn't be named.
Speaker 2: Maybe Tiffany would have gotten the role of Amber. Maybe Tiffany would have Tiffany Aberthiesen. We just rewrote history. I mean obviously nine O two one I was very special to me and to you because you played gingerl Monica on it, But like Clueless, that's a whole nother entity. And maybe because I can see it from an outside perspective as a fangirl.
Speaker 3: Oh right, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Gosh, you got the movie, you got the series. That was a much better choice. I'm so glad you didn't get that role. Thank you, Dad.
Speaker 3: Well, I remember, Yeah, he was so nice to me and he looked I just and so when I wound when I went back to audition for Ginger Jason, maybe he wasn't a producer before and then he became one, or maybe he was what wasn't in the room the first time, I don't know, but he was in there like for the final callback.
Speaker 2: And really I don't think he was a producer yet he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe he was de see or maybe he was there because I had to work with me so much, with my character so much.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I remember Jason Priestley and they were just like, oh, do you want to come in? Great?
Speaker 3: Great, great, great, good anything, And he was so nice to me. I had such a great experience on that show with you guys. It was like, it was so nice, and I was totally freaking out because I was like newly recovered from anorexia and I was like measuring my food and being super weird, and I was like, everything's fine, very fine. How do you just eat my yogurt and my cereal? It's a half a cup? Like, I was so freaked out, but everybody was super nice and friendly, so I had a great time.
Speaker 1: Summer is this season of love. Some are loving. Here we come. If you're old enough to remember Summer Loving, you're old enough to find and I do Part two. Listen each week as our hosts make it their goal to find you the.
Speaker 3: Next true love of your life.
Speaker 1: Jenny Garth, Jana Kramer, Alexia Napola, Cheryl Burke, Jen Fessler, Kelly Ben Simone, Amy Robot, and TJ. Holmes are dedicated to helping you fall in love again. It's time to make it hot hot hot this summer.
Speaker 4: Listen to I Do Part two on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's not interesting how we think about, like from our perspective, what other people might notice when and I try to teach my kids this every day, Like do you think they're thinking this about me? And I'm like, they're thinking about themselves, like you know about and no, that's I'm fifty two. That's I think I just learned this like last year.
Speaker 3: Yep, right, it longed me forever.
Speaker 2: To learn, Like that person looking at me weird that do they hate me? Do they What are they thinking? Do they not like what I'm wearing? It's like no, they're thinking about like the fifty things they need to get done one day. They're like looking right through you, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely. I feel like that's the best lesson that we could teach our kids. Like my daughter is thirteen right now, she's newly thirteen, and she's like a little thirteen. She hasn't gone through puberty yet, but some many of her friends have, and so she is like I can see her confidence starting to flail like should I were Before she would just wear like you know, basketball shorts or sweatpants, like that's what she's interested in. Now she's like, oh, does this match this? And should I wear this? And should I? And I like that she's starting to care about kind of what she wears. But at the same time can feel her starting to like lose her mojo and she's like super unique and I do not want her to lose that. And it's so hard to just kind of sit back and be supportive but not try to control the situation. But that confidence is so key to you know, for girls especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know, I don't know how to tell them to maintain I don't know. God, all of our lives would be so much different if we never lost that youth confidence, like oh my gosh. And sometimes it takes one thing, like it's one word that someone doesn't even remember they said, and you're like, change my whole life, Like yeah, yeah, I wish we could take that part out, like everything else I'd like to leave in, like, you know, even the bad stuff, like the heartbreak they'll experience like that it's part of their journey. But if you take out like that, that one moment when you start to like question yourself physically, it's like oh.
Speaker 3: Right right, it's like I I you know, and then I don't want to put my own you know, my is youth from that time are not hers, you know. So I don't need to be like, you know, worried. I worry about her. I want her to get enough nutrition. I so I have to like talk about food differently than I would, but I have to not be like you need to eat something, you know. So I'm like trying not to make her crazy, which who knows whether I'm succeeding, but uh, you know, like I don't want to put my stuff onto her. But also because I'm a big fan of being a weirdo. Like I was a weird kid, I was like, I'm cool with that. I think it is like great to be an individual and like.
Speaker 2: Just be love. Yeah, me too. I don't think I'm conditioned to be a weird kid. But I definitely was.
Speaker 3: I mean, you probably because you were in like you were just in the public eye, whether or not you were on TV, yet like that was your whole world. Was THEO was people that that certainly had to care about what they looked like and you know that was like just a part of what you grew up with, right, I mean, there's no Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time that I wanted to dress differently than what was expected of me as a young kid. And a friend's mom took us to Melrose And it was in the eighties, late eighties, so I was probably like eleven twelve, and I came home with a head to toe orange Neon outfit.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love it.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like it. Yeah, everyone wears me on. It's like no like in our day in the eighties, Like it was like shocking and new and like mesh like the gloves, like thinking Madonna, but like and I had the bow orange. I chose of all colors like bright orange. And I just remember like my mom trying to be very encouraging, but she was probably like what is going on?
Speaker 3: She was like, oh, people are going to give her a hard time about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think I wore it out once and I was like okay now, but I'd say, wait, who else audition for Amber?
Speaker 3: I feel like I heard stories of Sarah Michelle Geller because it was like they were she might have auditioned for Share too. But there were no auditions for for Alicia for Share because Amy already decided that she wanted Alicia. She had the script and she was was already in development. And then she saw Alicia in in the I think the Arabs with the videos and she was like, this is the girl. So it was always she was always going to be Share. So it must have been Amber that Sarah auditioned for and somebody else too, like of the nineties ilk of that that.
Speaker 2: Time, one of those nineties girls. I was with Alicia the night she got like the firm offer, like it was happening really, yes, Oh I love that because we had met because her boyfriend at the time, I was dating his friend, and we became fast friends. And I just remember she got it like she was like, it's happening, it's going through. And we went to Jones.
Speaker 3: The Italian place.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was like dark boots and everything, and then they had the bar area yeah, and she was like, let's go to dinner to celebrate, and we went. I was like, oh my god, I didn't know that you guys were like friends.
Speaker 3: I love her so much. We just got when we did nineties Con when I saw you for the first time and yes, which is now a couple of years ago. I guess that night we had we had just done the Super Bowl commercial together a couple months before, but we didn't.
Speaker 2: Have any time, which was so radh my god.
Speaker 3: Hang out.
Speaker 2: That was like surreal to be in the They started that trend going on, like now all ninety stuff nostalgia, like everyone's coming back and doing commercials. I love it, Brian, and I just did too, but like you did yay, yeah, yeah, you and Alicia bitterly but.
Speaker 3: She So we didn't have a lot of time when we were shooting to like hang out, catch up anything, but at nineties Con we did and we went we had dinner that night this Saturday, and it was the first time where we got to be like, oh, oh, I like you, how are you? Like we're grown nile and we talked about our own experiences of that time and it was so wonderful, Like I just loved it because you know, we could talk about it in a real way where all of the guys are like, oh, it was so great. We were like playing basketball in between shots and it was totally cool. And meanwhile, you know, the girls are like, oh, I'm totally stressed out, like this is really hard. Do I look? Okay? Am I doing?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And Alicia was like a million hours a day, you know. So it just was really nice to talk about it in a real way because obviously we're so grateful for it. It's was a wonderful experience to have, you know. And I felt like, oh, I guess it was my first movie, so I felt like, oh, this is just how it works.
Speaker 2: When everything you do becomes a huge hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he becomes a huge hit. That's how I felt with dn't are the directors Like women write and direct everything. They tell everyone what to do, and they're awesome and they're geniuses. They hire the right people. I wish everything's perfect, you know. And then of course you realize, oh, that was a very unique situation, you know. I mean, Amy was like she was incredible, and that was very unusual for that time to have a female writer director that, even though she had already done fast times as a writer, she like, it was unusual for a studio movie for them to allow that, and she was like incredible in the wardrobe.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, the wardrobe.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, it was really and that too, you know, as an actor to have like that, the wardrobe totally informed who my character was, like it was a part of her. And that's such a help as an actor to have things like it just helps you to create such a specific person. And I loved that so much, Like mona genius, genius, genius and so fun, like just so much fun.
Speaker 2: I would love to pick a brain link and hear the backstory of where that inspiration of everything came because it's just so unique. Nothing's been done like it since. Yeah, and she But I wonder how many people dressed up as you for Halloween? No, no, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: There was actually my my a friend of my husband's from college when my husband and I first met and the first time I met this friend who lives somewhere in the Midwest, and he's like, oh, remember when we met and you were dressed like your character for Halloween? And I was like, no, I didn't do that, and he said no, no, yeah you remember and you said, yeah, it's really me but and I said no, I'm a hundred percent sir, and I have never dressed as myself for Halloween. And I thought, like, what are Everybody is so like, one, did he really think that I would dress hisself for Halloween? And then two I thought some girl is like my doppelganger and convinced this guy that I was really meet, Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: The whole dresses Amber or dress your dressed as Amber?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine I was if I dressed as Amber for Halloween?
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at the idea that what it means, and like not say anything and just walk in and people be like, yeah, so we will be so excited. And then there'd be the girls that'd be like, who does she think she is?
Speaker 4: What? You love?
Speaker 2: God? Oh my god? People.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'd be like, wow, she really can't let it go.
Speaker 2: She can't let go my gosh. What Okay? So what if you dressed as Amber and I dressed as Donna and then we just went out about for the day just to see yeah, and just acted like yours is more iconic. It's hard to like really get an you're very specific.
Speaker 3: It would be hard to know, like you'd have to cut your hair like her or do something or right. No, but even if you just wore one of the outfits from that time, we would look that.
Speaker 2: Would be okay. But it so hard to know because all of those outfits are back in now.
Speaker 3: So oh my gosh, that's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Now it's leading into Y two K and I'm not okay with that. Like, no, I wasn't as excited about that trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's like at least stick. The nineties were a happy, brighter time.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they should like, yeah, everyone needs to milk them. Milk the nineties as long as possible.
Speaker 3: Milk it, milk it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, speaking of nineties, con Joey Fatone was there. Yes, you've dated, so we.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it looks like I'm blushing. I am not blushed.
Speaker 4: What I love.
Speaker 3: Yes, we did date. Yes we did. Now that was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course. And I look how you're clarifying this. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: He cracks me up because that you know, we did the music video. Also because they did an episode in sanc did an episode of Clueless, and so that's how we met. And then we would all just go out together. I don't really know how it happened, but anyway.
Speaker 2: We wait. Was that was that the time that you told me you might have made out in the dressing room with him?
Speaker 3: So there was there was a moment when.
Speaker 2: My blending boys or that's the same boy.
Speaker 3: No, just just only in Joey so he had started dating or whatever you would call it at the time.
Speaker 2: And then uh as the kids would say, you guys were talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess you were ducks.
Speaker 2: Su ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And then they all, well not everybody. Joey, Justin and Chris came back to set. We were shooting the last what turned out through the last episode of the series, and they came to visit on set, and so we were on location and and yeah we were. We had a nice time, and then they left and we still were. You know, like I went I went to I don't even know. I feel like I was on their tour bus for a little bit or a night or two. What Yeah, like, yeah, I definitely went to a couple of the concert. That's also when I realized, oh, people might like think clueless is cool and you know, I'm interesting, but whoa, people went absolutely bananas.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I've always wanted to see that. You were like a group friend for a minute. Yeah, so girlfriend, Yeah, I just coined that is that exactly?
Speaker 3: They were at Staples Center, I think, or one of the huge venues in LA and I went and I went early to go hang out with them, So I must have taken a car, Like I don't even remember how I got there because I didn't have ubers then, but I guess a car probably. And I got out of the car and it was like they just the fans like swarmed me, and not because it was me, but because they knew I was going to see them, right, And I was actually like a little bit scared. They were crazy, and I just thought, how these guys are like the Beatles. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to date a rock star or star or a musician, just a musician.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if they are rock stars, but I'm.
Speaker 2: A pop star. Musicians yeah, yeah, I can't fathom, Like we have one like platform that we know fans recognize us from. But that's like a whole nother level.
Speaker 3: Oh it is when it's you know, in person and hundreds of thousands of people like screaming and crying for you, like girls were crying, you know in the audience, like you know, I mean, it was wild wild.
Speaker 2: Have you ever felt that way about seeing someone that was like a hero to you? Like you we can wanted to cry.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to meet Prince and I never actually when I was doing Nino too, and oh and you guys everybody had security right outside of their trailers on location right.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jenna and I were just talking about this and Amy like it must have been during a time when there was like.
Speaker 3: There was something, because I had one too. And yes, so my security guy, I was playing Prince in my trailer one day and he opened the no He's like, you know, I work for Prince and I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, what what what?
Speaker 3: And he said to me, he kind of like burst my bubble. He said, He's like, Prince would really like you, but I don't think that you He's like, you don't want to know him. He sort of like made it seem like he was creepy or something. But I just would was like not hearing that. I would have loved. I did when he was doing those those final sort of what turned out to be final ish concerts in La Yeah, I did, and he was having people come on stage and dance with him. I did to get to go on stage and dance with him briefly, but I never I want to like hang out with him, you know. I want to like play ping pong with him or like, you know, shoot the breeze.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm picturing you and Prince playing ping pong. I don't know, I'm not sure. So during the same time that I was friends with Alicia, I was also friends with Carmen Electra.
Speaker 3: Ah right, I bet she has some.
Speaker 2: So I heard some great stories. I heard really good stuff though, Oh good. She adored him happy, like yeah, creatively and stead. He was just like the kindest, actually really amazing stuff that she didn't have to say because I wasn't telling anyone except from telling meThe now. But you know what I mean, it was all good stuff. I never heard anything that goadive. I remember when I was a kid, I was at Chasin's and Apollonia was there. Oh wow, I know, I was.
Speaker 3: That's a star sighting.
Speaker 2: That's like a she.
Speaker 3: I mean that whole movie that time period. I snuck all of my friends into see Purple Rain when because it came out. I think when I was in eighth grade, I want to say, or seventh grade, sometime around then when we couldn't we weren't old enough to go. We weren't enough to go. So we'd like coerced. I coerced one grown up to buy an R rated ticket and then we all got PG tickets or must have been two because then I would go into the movie with somebody chade out the you know, yeah off the thing and we all went.
Speaker 2: In and I did the same thing you did, yes, or purple rain, No, just in general. It must have been because yeah, it wasn't allowed to go out like to Westwood was the area you could walk around if there was one parent, right, So I'm not sure, but yeah, after that, like we started doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a pretty it's pretty solid system that until they figured it out, but you know, it was a good way to There was a whole row, like whole row of us, and I was really the one driving the train. I was the one that was super into prints, like much more so than my friends. But I would like have them over. We'd go in the basement and I would like sing Prince songs where they.
Speaker 2: Were all sort of my gosh, favorite print song mine.
Speaker 3: The beautiful ones, the beautiful ones.
Speaker 2: Sure way, I'm like a raspberry worry girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's also they're all they're all amazing. I uh, yeah, I have like dreams about Prince.
Speaker 2: He's like, I feel, really, what does he do in your dreams?
Speaker 3: He sometimes he leads me around like shows me things, and other times he's been like, my it's like he's like my creative spiritual guide. I mean, it sounds crazy, but.
Speaker 2: No it doesn't.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: And then sometimes like he'll whisper. In one dream he whispered into my ear and he just said, you have to do it, like you have to be you like these things where I was like I woke up feeling like wait a second, did this happen? This is you know, after he's passed. Right, anyway, I'm going to go with that that he's my my guide in the.
Speaker 2: After kind lucky right, Yeah, my god, where where's mine? I want someone iconic? Oh my god, I believe it. Wait are they Are they going to do a reboot of Clueless?
Speaker 3: So at the Academy events, some of the press where they were asking that question and Amy there there is a TV series they have not Amy said, we don't know what it's going to be. We have no comment, like I have to say nothing about it. And then they tried to ask Alicia as if he wasn't sitting next.
Speaker 2: Let me just go down the line. Maybe one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she said the same thing like, we don't know. I'm going to be happy with whatever we do. So I think they really haven't decided kind of what the storyline will be, or they're just not saying, I don't know, I have to do something. I love it. I hope Amber is in it.
Speaker 2: What is the weirdest DM you have ever gotten? Someone slid into your d MS regarding you or regarding your character Amber.
Speaker 3: I received a photograph of a tattoo on a man's arm that was of me as as Amber with the headband and the bangs and the black thing like all of it. And I think that's probably the worst. I mean, it was a full tattoo, like I'm not talking like a presslot, you know, like like a real.
Speaker 2: Tut Oh, I understand. Was it well done? Was it good artwork?
Speaker 3: It looked like me? It really did. And so I showed it to my husband and he was like, do we have to do something about this? Should we be concerned? And that is that I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't know, And that was it. He just wanted you to see it. Yep.
Speaker 3: Just like, look at how look at how awesome this is? And I felt like, I mean it is a great likeness. It really did look like me.
Speaker 2: Well that's a great honor. I mean it could have been creepier. It could have been like on.
Speaker 3: His ass, true, this is true things respectable place. It was on the bicep, so it.
Speaker 2: Was someone must have gotten a tattoo of flying at my nose. I mean, someone's done.
Speaker 3: I sure, I'm sure does somebody.
Speaker 2: If anyone knows anyone and I look around to the heaven, anyone talking to you listeners? Let us know.
Speaker 3: Do you read all of the I had some of it?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I am just realizing that there are the areas of messages in Instagram because I'm like living under a rock. The one you sort of like don't want to look at because it's all it's just like straight up porn.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, How do I find that? Guys?
Speaker 3: It's like the the I don't know the one, what's what are the headings? It's like you're general or primary general?
Speaker 2: Okay, go on your Instagram right now.
Speaker 3: The other one.
Speaker 2: And I just had a request looking in there, and I was like, oh dear God, I need to stay out of there, tell me one thing, one thing, and then hidden requests hidden, I don't know, I have to.
Speaker 3: I delete them like every like every day like dick pics like super obscene. I haven't opened, but like why not me? Like I don't know why am I getting them? Why am I getting them?
Speaker 2: So it's so unlucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see here we go, it's in I feel it's in message requests, all this crazy, see all this crazy.
Speaker 2: It's all crazy. Wait I have them here. No one person's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's all. I will show you this if you you know, like I mean, it's very wacko. Let's see. And there's one. I'm very lonely. I don't I'm not cooking out any photos. I don't want any more of this, but literally it uses, but now I just delete them every one time.
Speaker 2: Did I get the hidden like blurred picture and I didn't know and I clicked it and oh dear god, like it was massive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a learning.
Speaker 2: My kids, like mom, why would you click on it? Do you know how much stuff you're going to get?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Like you're you gonna get spam? Like yeah, it was I know that's.
Speaker 3: What I'm so I've stopped doing it now and I do have less, but there's still you know, significant amount in there.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. What would Amber be like in a porn Oh? Really ask the same questions everyone was asked you.
Speaker 3: I think really demanding. She would have a lot.
Speaker 2: She would be a dom.
Speaker 3: Yes for sure, and then she would be very.
Speaker 2: Like, can't listen to this episode? Can she?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very difficult to please. I think would be the general vibe.
Speaker 2: Huh. But what's the soft side of her?
Speaker 3: So, you know, I do think she really just she just wants to be liked. She just wants to fit in. She wants to be you know, yes, she wants to be kind of cooler than everyone else, but she wants to be loved. That she just like tries so hard. You know, it's like she has flies to Paris for fashion week, takes it right off the runway, where is it to English class because she thinks, you know, that's going to get the attention of Share and everyone else, and then you know, kind of doesn't always work out for her.
Speaker 2: I know what, you were so vulnerable in that movie, though. Yeah, there's so many times that a character like Amber could be played depending on the actor that is cast portrayed a very different way, and I just remember the first time watching it and just all the fields from your character, like oh my god, that character, like oh my god, that character, like you know, oh, that's so nice, which is why I think your character still resonates so much with people.
Speaker 3: But I think it's like you have to have all as a person. I don't know, I feel like because I generally, my truly my personality is like I I want to be kind, I want to be nice to people like that That's how who I am. And I think that helps play more kind of edgy, spiky characters because it makes it not one note, you know, or it feels like, oh, you feel some sort of kindness underneath this. Maybe I don't know, but I because I've played a lot like Sabrina, I pretty much play nine on two and O like say, I, you know, have not played the nicest of people.
Speaker 2: I make it's likable because you cannot be likable. Oh yeah, you were talking before about you know, such a unique situation and such a blessing to have been a part of Clueless, But not many people can say like you were such a part of so many iconic things clueless to bring to the teenage, which like it's just like, oh my god, it is like you're the girl.
Speaker 3: I think that's the other thing that when I was saying, you know, I started to really embody a week ago that this one, right, that how impactful clueless was. I also simultaneously kind of realized, oh wow, this is unusual, Like I'm really fortunate to have been a part of so many things that have made such an impact. I mean, that's like doing nineties con that that year I went, this is like going back to college or something. I've worked with almost every person in this room, right, I was like it was so bizarre, and I just feel like I do feel really lucky in that way. I feel very fortunate. And so you know, when I I think it's important to really have as an adult a proper relationship with our past, right, no matter what you do, as you know, it's like growing up and moving through whatever challenges you have and finding gratitude and learning and becoming a deeper, bigger person and all of that. And it just is it's the same thing of being in the public eye. You know, if we don't kind of embody and embrace what has happened and what we've been given and deprived of at the same time. You know, we can't. You can't. You can't have a happy life, you know if I so, I feel really grateful for all of it. I do, and it's been you know, sure, I've had some bad experiences, but for the most part, all of those experiences have been so wonderful. Like all of you walking into nine o two and zero, you guys could have been real, you could have been just like not given me the time of day, and everybody was because you'd all been together for so long. The show is so successful. It's like plug and play. You don't have to like welcome a new person, you know, you just don't. And all of you were so kind to me, and I laughed so much and I had such a good time and very welcoming. And the same with Sabrina. I mean, Melissa is like she's like a unicorn. She is so normal and I say that in like the best way, right, like un affected and she and she completely grew up in the business and she's so generous, super kind, works her tail off, she works so hard, and you know that's not I don't. I feel like that's not normal either, So I feel like I've gotten really lucky in that regard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was on Stave by the Bell. Well, I had done True Beverly Hills, the movie of Shelley Long, I had done Saved by the Bell. So when I started on nine O two and oh, I had been through experiences where.
Speaker 3: Wait by the Bell with Tiffany I did were there two Oh? I didn't know that. So you guys already knew each other.
Speaker 2: We did, Yeah, since we were fourteen. I think I started that, but I was Screeched's first girlfriend, and I actually was recurrying. And then it started to cross over when nine on two and O started and I went as a regular in nine. But that's where I really learned the importance of how you treat others on a set, because it's not easy coming into a group almost like a click, and you know you're there to do your craft and your work and you want to do the best job. But it's so much easier if there's acceptance and kindness and yes. And so I had some experiences that weren't the best and some that were great. But I really came into nine on two and zero leading with compassion for anyone that came on as a new member.
Speaker 3: It is so like it means so much to the people coming in. And so then that's how I learned to do the same. When I we did the series of Pulis as a series, I was very consciously kind to people and welcoming them in and doing that because it's hard. It's hard to be the new guy and you're only there for a short period, you know, it's just hard to come into those situations. And then I did the same with Sabrina when even though I was the new person, but then we were there for three years, you know, so it's like there's just no time for that. Like the egos, the like any I will say this, I think that I've always believed this, and I'm not going to name names, but when people are unkind and they are like ego driven and have bad attitudes and are cruel or however you want to characterize it, it comes back to haunt them. And I think, so I do, I do, and it doesn't It will always come out in the end, and those things never wouldn't We still hold those people having very difficult personal lives having lose it. There are a lot of ways that the universe pays pays it back, and I think it is and because when it's happening, I have had this experience of someone who who I worked with who was wildly unkind to me, like very very cruel and then in a public way and did like was really terrible, and that person is and in the moment when it's happening, it's devastating, right, It's like it feels like, oh my god, I gotta fix this, I gotta fix this. And I didn't do like how a little, you know, and I was like crying, and you know what, there is first of all, no fixing it in the moment because it's totally out of my control. Over time, now that person is not in a good place and I had nothing to do with that. You know, I'm not wishing them ill. I just don't want any part of it. And sometimes it takes a long time for that that to right itself, but it always does. So I just yeah, that's what I'll say.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll hold you to that, because yeah, not all of my experiences, I'm like a person still like everyone loves them, everyone does like why like they're not kind?
Speaker 3: But you know what, it's the behind the scenes things could be going very sideways for that person, or it is down the line it's going to go you know, I just and nothing it has that that is I don't know, you know, that doesn't have to happen, but it has been my experience that I have seen that that you know, the best revenge is living well, as they say, right, so it's like, keep your life in a way that is meaningful and enjoyable and genuine, and then they can't you know, nobody can touch you.
Speaker 2: Agreed, agreed. So do Scarlett's friends like see all the memes, the clips on TikTok of you and like.
Speaker 3: So they we have like a strict no social media policy in our paths for her.
Speaker 2: So she's seen at school at all, but she.
Speaker 3: Some of her friends on text strings and things have it and they will you know, yes they do. So they had all seen things before Scarlett did. I only she only saw Clueless maybe six months ago. No, everybody, all of her friend she goes to an all girls' school, and almost all of her friends had seen it and they were and so she started to feel left out and weird, and you know, so she I let her watch it and my husband hadn't seen it either, for the record, so they watched it together.
Speaker 2: What is happening right now? What do you mean your husband has never seen clues? He's just that's a story. He's told you.
Speaker 3: The only thing did I tell you?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 3: This when we when we uh talked in December.
Speaker 2: He's all, anything, Well, we met.
Speaker 3: We met in Mexico on the beach on vacation with vents. A whole long story. This night we were talking for like how he was like, oh, so, what do you do? And I said, oh, I work in entertainment and he said well, like in what capacity?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 3: And I said I am an actress? And he's like, oh, anything that I've seen And I said I don't know maybe, and then he's like, well, like tell me and I said, well, the movie Clueless and he said, oh yeah, I never saw that and I was like, oh, okay, this is a tail. Yeah he said, he said anything else that I would have seen, and I said, well the show Sabrina the Teenage Witch. But the Witch. He's like, oh, yeah, I know I never saw that. And I was like okay. Well. Night at the Roxbury the Saturn Night Live guy oh, yeah, No, I didn't see that. I'm like going on. And then at this point I'm like, uh, hey, guy, like I have a pretty no hell, and then I said, well, I did nine O two and oh the original nine O two one oh, and he goes, oh, no, hinjure la monica. He knew, I promise you. He's like, oh my god, you're ginger. And I was like nine on two and oh always nine two and he and then it turns out he and his friends in college had a cast photo of you guys and they would have like do the drinking game or whatever, and somebody would like pas, I forget what the game was with the photo, but it would always wind up at someone else's, you know, house or something. So when we really started dating and I went to San Francisco for the first time, he had the picture and I was like, oh, no, is this he dared. I'm like, is this getting like real strange now? And then he's laughing and then I met you know, as it turns out, they're all very normal people. But I was like, oh, it was nine and that was the only thing that he had seen.
Speaker 2: God, I want to believe this story, but how many like oh, god, like before your husband, even like you wouldn't meet guys and they're always like, oh yeah, what do you do after? But you just feel guilty, But you're like, why am I guilty? You feel like embarrassed, yeah, anything, and then you have to tell them and you're like you feel like what I do?
Speaker 3: Like my run down just I was at Lax the other day and this woman comes up to me and she's like, are you a real housewife? And I was like, no, I'm not. And she's like, you're so glamorous. Well what do I know you from? And I was laughing like, oh, I'm so glamorous, Like keep talking? What did she say?
Speaker 2: Glamorous? Wait? If Amber, though were a real housewife, which one would she be?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I don't know what are they? I don't know. I don't, I don't and I should Yeah, I don't know anything. She would definitely be the one. I do believe Amber today would be running her own fashion line. I think that is definitely what she would be doing. She and then is debatable whether she's like either married to a super wealthy guy and like driving him crazy or she has no she's doing it all on her own and has no like, doesn't have a partner at all, and just as kicking ass everywhere interesting.
Speaker 2: She has her own fashion line. Hello, mmm mm hmmm, uh huh should I yes, maybe I should?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's right, I probably should. I do have like my own unique This is also what's.
Speaker 2: Fun guy to call it as if? I mean, I know your character didn't say that, but like still whatever, yeah, what I.
Speaker 3: Should write? I mean, I do have my own sense of fashion that I think is very unique. And sometimes it's like spot on and sometimes it's a little like hmm, And I think that's okay. I think that's also Amber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it should be Amber inspired though. Wait, we just created a great idea.
Speaker 3: I think this is a great idea.
Speaker 2: I do. I do think it's a great idea. Now is the time to strike. It's all nineties, Yes it is. Yeah, it's our time.
Speaker 3: Anniversary. It is time to do it.
Speaker 2: Also at the anniversary, you have to anniversary. There you go.
Speaker 3: I listened to the episode with Ryder.
Speaker 2: I have a great idea. I'm gonna tell you off podcast.
Speaker 3: Great, let's do it. I also want to do that nineties horror.
Speaker 2: Will you be in it? I was just thinking, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, it's all about First of all, Clue is like my favorite.
Speaker 2: Movie of all time, one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Out is one of my favorite new movies of all time. So I think and Agatha Christie those movies I try to get my daughter to watch. I remember reading those books when I was younger, and one of the movies that I loved, I feel like it was.
Speaker 2: And then there were none, and then there were none.
Speaker 3: It was so scary.
Speaker 5: I remember feeling like, wait a second, how am I going to ever survive if I get on an island by myself with people in a scary house, you know, and my mom being like, well, you have to like actually.
Speaker 3: Get like you're not that's not happening to you.
Speaker 2: And I was like, very isn't it crazy? That was like the og Like, yes, there were two titles for the book, but the one well known for the novel was and then there were none. But it was a story of started with ten people and then one by one they were killed off and that's hello, that's a storyline for every horse.
Speaker 3: I think it is so totally and it would be amazing. And then deciding who is the person, like who's the one.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yeah, because it would be like a main character energy because technically none of our characters were the main character, but yet ultimately in life we really are.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, yes, it does.
Speaker 2: Like that while you were one of the leads, like you weren't yet, like you know, you weren't share like it's yep, you know, and when the show started it was like Brenda and Kelly like it wasn't Donna. And then you know with writer like it's just he always said, I think that's great. I mean, every girl crushed on him, but he wasn't like technical lead the show.
Speaker 3: That's the whole. I think that is a key component of the storyline, that it's all the you know whatever you would call us, the the.
Speaker 2: What would what do we be called?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Look, we now bitch. It's like everyone was like she's still standing, like still iconic.
Speaker 3: Do we call it number three on the call sheet?
Speaker 2: I think I was. I think I was number sun Or is it.
Speaker 3: Three to seven? Between three and seven?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, whoa wife. It's a great idea, it is. I it's that call sheet common out because I'm used in the movie.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, there could be so many times.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many layers, so many layers. Oh my gosh. Oh, I'm so glad you were into it because I was just thinking this morning, like, oh my god, should be perfect. I'd love to do this. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I mean I think it would be great. And I just for the first time did which I'm not really supposed to talk about, but I'm not going to be specific. So it's fine. This spec series that's like Ryan Murphy esque horror thing that I just did, and let me tell you, it was so fun. It was really, really, really fun. So and you met Ryan Murphy or anything like that. No, I've never met Ryan Murphy, have you.
Speaker 2: No? No, I feel like we're his jam. I'm like iconic, like he loves like eighties and nineties stars and pops them into all different fun roles and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, let's put it out there, Hi, mister Murphy. Hello, here we are.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hi, Ryan Murphy.
Speaker 3: I'll do whatever. I love these ideas. I think we for many many possibilities.
Speaker 2: I know, look at us in our second chapter.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. It's shaking your head like this.
Speaker 2: So no, no, I.
Speaker 3: Know, it's so much better now because I feel like more at ease with myself. I feel more able to access my creativity, my life. I'm more confident. It's just like it just feels better.
Speaker 2: It's definitely. Yeah, the confidence thing, it's all getting better than it was back then.
Speaker 3: I of talking with you.
Speaker 2: I've love you.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: I know I could talk to you all day because I could talk about anything, and there's so much more we'll have to talk.
Speaker 3: Well, we now have like four businesses that were starting.
Speaker 2: So that's great. I mean the ones that are yours, that are yours like, but I'm happy to offer ideas. Yeah, I love it, fun, fun puns. Okay, I love you.
Speaker 3: I love you. Have a beautiful rest of your day. And I hope I get to see you soon.
Speaker 2: I know me too. Oh maybe I'll come to San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Yes, come, that would be so fun.
Speaker 2: I know I've been wanting to for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna make it happen. Manifesting so much, so much.
Speaker 3: I love you all right, I love you.