Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty and now he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: It's The Armstrong and Getty Show, featuring our podcast One More Thing. Download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's just been in the last few years I feel like that they've started breaking down intelligence into different groups. Yeah, it used to be smarter dumb, but now there's different kinds of intelligence, including emotional intelligence. And I ran into a guy who had very low emotional intelligence or whatever ability it is that some people have or don't have to read a room to read other people's body language or faces or whatever, and it's amazing. I mean I have run into several people. I know some people that are very high on that, Like I think Trump is extraordinarily high on that. He probably actually is genius level when it comes to emotional intelligence. I think a lot of successful people probably are. But I've known some really smart, successful people that seem to have like zero I mean, they're like imbeciles when it comes to emotional intelligence. And I met one on vacation as I said the world's least humble marine, and yes, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, do you think a decent description of emotional intelligence is understanding how the other person is receiving an exchange perceiving that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And it seems to me the people that are really bad at it have never even considered the idea of wondering however people are reacting to them.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, truly, the uh, you have no idea, how bad you or the more dumb you are, the smarter you think you are, one of those things. Yeah, and everyone asked that question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the whole incompetent people don't know they're incompetent. And I guess that's true on all topics and my experience with military people as we've Joe and I have done so many things with so many military people over the years, and we both have family members in the military. Military people tend to be pretty humble just the way they are, and the higher up the food chain you go in that the more likely they are to be humble, like Special Forces dudes, super humble guys. You would never know they And most Marines I've ever met in my life were like that also except for this guy. So I'm on vacation and my son and I is actually going to be both my boys and I were going to take this boat trip. It's like this inflatable boat probably fit fifteen to twenty people on it, maybe a couple of motors, and you're going to go out on the ocean and it was described is a pretty rough ride and then you ride around in the ocean and then there's gonna be some snarkling and then a ride back and has a pretty long trip. It was like three hours total. But anyway, they made it clear it is really rough. And then my youngest son decided he didn't want to do it, and thank god he made that decision because he would have never been able to handle it. It was grueling. I mean it grueling. Yeah. You had to you had to have your feet underneath these straps and then you had to hang on with both hands to these other ropes. Have you done this before?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 4: And these boats are not a smooth ride.
Speaker 2: No, no, super rough and you like had to hang on really hard with your legs and your arms to stay in the boat. It was and it was hours of this and it is a pretty physically grueling thing to do. And it was fun, but I mean you'd go over waves and land and boom, and it's just like such a jolt to your spine. I mean, it was. It was wrong. AnyWho. So before we got on the boat, there's a young dude in a bucket, hat, sunglasses and a this is on the fourth of July, a white and blue speedo. And he's a super fit guy, like big guy, guessing like six two two ten, very fit, very muscular dude.
Speaker 3: Just to clarify, the bucket had the sunglasses, the speedo and nothing else.
Speaker 2: Correct, Okay, all right, he had flip flops on. Well, grandam have a pair of flip flops red white and blue speedo and and uh, you know, there's a variety of groups so like husbands and wives or boyfriends and girlfriends, or like me and my son. And then he's by himself and they talk about before we're gonna get on the boat. The captain who is a super cool dude, really really cool dude. He was a six years in the Coastguard and then he's run other big ships around the world and he piloted this thing and he went in and out of Rocks. I mean, he's like one of the most confident people I've ever been around. In my wife, I wish I was like him. He was military, so that factors the story because he was like your regular military guy, kind of humble and you know, not trying to show off or anything like that. So he's telling us where all to sit on the boat, and you know, if you really want to smoother ride, sit in the back. It gets rougher as you go toward the front. And then if like you're really worried about this, sitting the miller middle pillar. And so there are some older people that sat in the middle pillar, some girls dead, and it kind of spread out, and my son and I were up toward the front. Marine guy takes fronts. He said, I'll take front, and guy said, okay, cool, you're sure, and he said, I'm simper fie man, I don't worry about it. Oh right, So right off the bat, Marines never freaking tell you you're the marine unless it comes up in conversation. The fact that he just said that right there is the first time I've ever heard that in my life. At the guy in the speedo. So he gets up there and he's sitting toward the front, and uh, we take off on the boat and he's just non stop talking the whole time, never stops talking, talking to the captain, talking to all the girls around him. Of course, non stop chatterbox caught it. I don't know how many times you mentioned he was a marine or he was simperfie. Wait, too many times not hanging on to any of the ropes. He would just fly up in the air and land and kind of balance some stuff. See, I don't need to hang on I'm simper fine.
Speaker 4: And I hate them already.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. And it gets worse. So they're going around, and so they start handing out The captain starts handing out gloves. He said, you're you're, you're. Your knuckles are gonna get rubbed bloody holding onto the ropes against the canvas of the boats. Let me guess, So if you want to wear gloves, you can get him. He said, I don't need them, and the captain CD, I didn't know you'd take any captain city. The captain is already tired of this, dude. You can tell. Captain says, uh, yeah, I didn't figure you'd want to. Of course, not simper five. We don't use gloves. Okay, we get it. Dude, you've made it clear to everyone on this tiny boat who's hurt you already you were in the Marines. He's actually still the Marines. But you're a tough guy. We all fully understand the whole dynamic of what's We just stipulate that.
Speaker 3: Move on.
Speaker 4: We get it, and it's neat.
Speaker 2: Okay. So we're on this boat ride and the captain points out a couple of hikes and swims that people do in this touristy area on the ocean, and he talks about this one. It's a seventeen mile hike and swim. Not very many people do it.
Speaker 5: Do it?
Speaker 1: Do it?
Speaker 2: It's really really hard to do. It's really grueling. You have to be like an expert swimmer. Marine voices. I just did it, did it yesterday. I didn't think it was that big a deal. I'm not kidding. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is why you go ahead.
Speaker 6: It says when you go whoops and accidentally just donkey kick him off the side of the bove.
Speaker 3: You know, if only his dad had told him like once, I'm proud of you, son, or a good job.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you think that's it? Uh, that could be it and not a shock that he was by himself. But so he had done this grueling like seventeen mile coastal swim or whatever, and the captain, the coast guard veteran guy was pretty impersonally, said wow, you did that, and I said, yeah, I didn't think it was that much. And he said, I don't know how many people have done that? Were you with? Some people? Says by myself. He said, man, that's not a very good idea. I usually suggest if people are going to do that swim they have a boat with him or nah, that says a marine guy. Okay, fine, we get that going. But here's the ending of my story. This is my favorite part of the whole thing. The captain, super cool guy has a big speaker on his boat and he's blasting music the whole time, which made it kind of fun. And he's got like a bunch of different cool songs, so Jimmy Buffett tunes and different stuff like that and just you know, kind of songs that people would like. And then this song comes on Michael, So that song starts and the marine says, hey, you know what I call this song. Captain'sy like, what Freeballin'. Oh no, he's like, what Freeballin'. You know you haven't ever heard that term Freeballin'. It's like when guys don't wear underwear, we call it freeballin And I wanted to say to him, everybody got it, dude, We all underst stood from the first moment you said that you're pun You're you're you're fantastic punn. We just thought it was like coursing uncool, and there's you know, there are a couple of they're not children on here, but just a couple like high school girls or whatever, not appropriate content for them or whatever. So then when it gets to the chorus, the course comes on and he stands up. So now free balling, like really emphasize again it frea come on, everybody's a free balling? Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you testicles? Michael?
Speaker 2: You're right, Yes, they're good. I actually thought, at one point, are you a Saturday Night Live bit?
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask, are you in the background of some jackass ish video you're reacting to? That's wow?
Speaker 2: It was amazing.
Speaker 6: This guy sounds cringe from start to finish. Every part of this.
Speaker 2: I hate oh yeah, it was just it was tough and I didn't know if my son was picking up on it or not. But when we got off the body, he was like, God, that guy was an ad you know whole u oh yeah, everybody and the captain just trying to ignore it. No, what do you call it? Free ballin'? Okay? Do you get it? Yeah? I get it. We all get everybody gets it. See the problems. And that's where I come in with the emotional intelligence thing. I mean, it was clear all of us looking around that we I mean, we're all looking at each other. We all felt exactly the same way, and I would like to It's like an experiment as a sociologist to talk to the guy and say, are you really not picking up on any of the cues that everybody on this boat is giving that one? They're tired of hearing you talk too. They don't think your course jokes are funny, Like you really that hasn't sunk into you at all?
Speaker 4: Was he drinking?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Do you think he was a real marine or was he.
Speaker 2: Just being I definitely think he is a real marine and he had all the They talked a lot about what base you've been on and when you get out and blah blah blah, and he had too much knowledge about it. I think his marine. I just think he. I think he's a super stud athlete, good looking guy. So the the there's a captain, and then there's another person who's like the tour guide and talks and takes lots of pictures. And she was like twenty five and super attractive. She went up to the front to sit by him at one point, like when we first started, because I think she was singing, here's a single guy, good looking guy. I'm good looking girl, I'm gonna talk. She was up there like five minutes, went back to the back of the boat.
Speaker 6: Okay, from the department of this is why you're single, dude?
Speaker 3: You know, uh number number one? Well, I'll skip to this second point reminds me of a dude I ran into in La Ma's classes when Judy was pregnant with her first and it was so obviously a case where a big stud dumb ass found himself some hot dumb chick and the two of them got together and pretty quickly started to make each other insane. And he is so clearly headed for that sort of future. He's got to be in the outermost, like three percent of utterly clueless.
Speaker 2: Right, And man, imagine how difficult that is to make it through life if you can't read other people's reactions to you at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're standing on a boat screaming, freeballing.
Speaker 2: Right and in a family setting. Yeah, I mean it wouldn't been It wouldn't have been funny if we'd all been nineteen year old dudes. It's still yeah, we get it, We got it right at the beginning. You don't need to sing it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was no way for the captain to make him accidentally fall overboard.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I was just gonna say, karma really demanded that. When the boat flew up in the air, he smacked down hard, maybe on them, you know, Karma punishing him for his well, the aforementioned sins.
Speaker 2: And I thought kind of what you were thinking there is like, how many women have fallen for this good looking studley dude and how long did it take him to figure out? And or is the reverse? Is this the really dumb hot chick that guys put up with for a while.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I see him connecting with either the and forgive me for referencing it in anyway, But the Hawk twak girl who was viral for a cup of coffee, or the two stupid good looking chicks who stole the girl scouts money who we've played the clips of whoa Right many times? Well, they had the money and I wanted it. Uh, he'll end up with one of them.
Speaker 2: Or both of them.
Speaker 6: Probably Speaking of the Hawk two egg girl, I just want to let you know. I was at a bar over our vacation and my husband was elsewhere. So this guy came up and stood next to me and went, Hey, I just want to let you know. You look just like the hawk two ey girl.
Speaker 2: Oh, And I.
Speaker 6: Said, first of all, no, I don't. Second of all, is that your opening line? That's what you're going up to chicks now and saying, So anyway, I'm apparently the other hawk two ey girl.
Speaker 3: I got a marine, buddy, I think you should beat the two you get along grape.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Fretty, The Armstrong and Getty Show, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Here's we're talking about the neo Marxist trying to subvert society and what Americans love and are proud of and the rest of it, and a lot of people go along with them because they think they're doing the right thing. Here's a Democrat led town in Connecticut. This state trooper was killed by a hit and run driver last week. Young man family, the whole tragic story that you've heard, you know too many times. But several of the council people wanted to fly the thin Blue Line flag in his honor and explained why they wanted to and what a fine fellow he was and what a tragedy it was.
Speaker 2: But several of the.
Speaker 3: Council members said, no, we can't do that. It represents racism and antagonism to many many people. And if you don't personally believe that, and you fly it at your house and think it means something to you, that's fine, but we can't do it because again, it represents racism antagonism to many many people. Here's how this works. The flag which has always indicated support for concern for love for police officers. During the heyday of the defund the police movement, the Black Lives Matter movements, which are both neo Marxist movements.
Speaker 2: They're trying to tear down the West.
Speaker 3: They've admitted as much. While they were in the midst of that fervor, they convinced people that any support of police police is racist and antagonistic, even though it's not and it was never intended to be. But they convinced a bunch of people that a legitimate expression of support for police is racist. And so now you have people saying, I've heard.
Speaker 2: That's racist, right, or at least controversial. Right.
Speaker 3: That's how that works, as James Lindsay has put it, Really, James Lindsay, if you want to control something, call it racist until you control it. Here's another brief example. Here's a North Carolina teen, North Carolina, you ought to be better than this, suspended from school for using the term illegal alien in a classroom discussion. An administrator likened that to saying the N word, sixteen year old Christian McGee. Right, wow, right, and so now is this here's the difference between the N word and illegal alien.
Speaker 2: I can say illegal alien over and over, just like you did, teacher, illegal alien, illegal aid. Try saying the N word. You'll notice the different real quick well.
Speaker 3: And Czech federal statutes, you will find the term illegal alien all over the damned place. So is this school administrator an activist, a Marxist activist, could be there are a lot of them. Are they just a soft head that has been swept up in thinking? Oh, that's I'm told that it's racist to use that term, So I'm gonna punish anybody who does.
Speaker 2: Probably that one the useful idiot right.
Speaker 3: It is in no way, which is why it makes me so crazy that now you hear even Fox News using the term migrant. How did we decide to go from illegal immigrant to immigrant to migrant? It's because activists on the far left insisted on it and said if you don't, you're a racist. And people said, dud, I don't want to be a racist, So I'll do what you tell.
Speaker 5: Me to do.
Speaker 3: How about a little independent thought, folks? Goodness?
Speaker 1: Are you strong?
Speaker 3: And yet? It's The Armstrong and Giddy Show, featuring our podcast One more Thing. Download it, subscribe to it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 2: I really like to know what's hot. I just partially I think it's good for the radio show. Partially, I just I'm interested in note. I like to know if there's a super hot band, super hot movie, super hot whatever, clothing style, whatever. I just like to know. And so the other day I'm walking through the newsroom and Jensen, who you may have heard on our show before, she's in the newsroom. She said, do you watch The Bear? I said, to what now? She said, it is my favorite show of all time, Not just my favorite show right now, it's the best TV show ever. And now I thought, wow, we ought to have you on to talk about it. And then, weirdly, in the next forty eight hours, I came across a couple of different articles or tweets or whatever from people saying this season of The Bear might be better than last season. It's my favorite TV show of all time. We brought it up on the radio show. We got a number of text when people say it's my favorite show ever ever. That's a heck of a thing to say.
Speaker 3: It's a story about a guy who takes a trained bear around the country playing county fairs, makes the thing dance, Yeah, it on cocaine occasionally, a.
Speaker 2: Guy who drives from town to town in an old truck, engaging in street fights, and he's got this charming bear that rides with.
Speaker 3: Him that sounds terrific solves people's problems.
Speaker 2: Anyway, We got a couple of clips from The Bear. It's actually it's a.
Speaker 3: Story about the guy who's like a brilliant, gifted chef and his brother who runs a Chicago sandwich shop, dies and he has to take over the family business. That's the broad outlines or the very basic outline.
Speaker 2: Cool. Well, here's here's the first clip. This is a delicate ecosystem and it's held together by a shared history, a love. I have every intention of turning this into a respectable place of business.
Speaker 3: Eventually.
Speaker 2: That's funny. The music reminds me. I'd read a couple of different places that the soundtrack for The Bear is just fantastic. That's one of the things that draws people in. But I did as to be Willco there in the background, the only, the only the way I can watch a TV show as if my kids can watch it. So why, I asked Jensen, I said, is it okay for kids? She said absolutely not. And I guess this next clip will make that evident. It's some of the tension in the kitchen. Let's hear it, Ebra, make sandwiches. Don't stop making sandwiches. I'm gonna make three sections. Okay, they're gonna be wet, hot and sweet. All right, I'm gonna take green tape. Make those sections, Louis, I want you to get the sandwiches. Put them on the corresponding sections. Yea sweet, Yes, Mark, You're gonna fire every single chicken we have?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 5: Okay, Ritchie, do you even know how to do price?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 2: Marcus? Where are we on?
Speaker 7: Cakes?
Speaker 2: Get in there?
Speaker 7: Getting what?
Speaker 2: Marcus?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Still working on this?
Speaker 5: Come on?
Speaker 2: What are you tripping for? Doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 5: There's four kicks and stool.
Speaker 2: They're not even cut yet. I am I'm doing them in five big everything, Fire everything. Okay, I'll fire everything now. I just was finishing. Step out, Marcus and step out.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Talk to Marcus now. Thank you. We're firing seventy six piece, thirty four chickens okay, twelve French fries, twelve mash oush.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm you know a deli version, Gordon Ramsey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm intrigued. I heard sandwich from people I'm from, people have known who worked in kitchens. That is a relatively accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow wow, It's like if the Sopranos are making sandwiches.
Speaker 2: I'll check it out. I'll probably watch an episode tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's obviously, if people are raving about it, there's there's much more to it than the mechanics or what can be described.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, obviously. Yeah, if you can, if you can give a good flavor of your hard and then pun of a show with a thirty second clip, and ain't ain't that great? It ain't. That's probably a bad show, right, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like a song you love the first time you hear, it's probably going to bother you by the third time, exactly. Yeah. And in being a pigheaded idiot, it took me a while to understand that great documentaries are all about people. They're all about humankind and our struggles and whether it's well, it's a story about a guy who trims bear's fingernails at a zoo, and I'm thinking, I don't have any particular interest in bears fingernails, but it's an award winning documentary. Just watch it. It's gonna end up being about life, right right, anyway, do we have time for that? While I suppose to the podcast, we can make it as long as we want to.
Speaker 2: Where Joe Rogan, we got three hours left.
Speaker 3: No thank you. My froat already hurts. At the end of the radio show, came across this Twitter thread that I thought was absolutely terrific, and we'll post a link for you at Armstrong and Getty dot com. It's an analysis of how Julius Caesar started his political career. And this historian said he was Rome's second greatest orator after Cicero. And here are nine lessons from a brilliant early speech of his that made his career take off. And he wasn't as a young man. He came from a good family, but he wasn't really taken very seriously. He was deep and dead. He had a reputation as a playboy. He had kind of a Matt Gaitsiz reputation.
Speaker 2: If I may, he said, I got this idea for a salad. Nobody would listen, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, raw eggs, What are you crazy? Anyway? In sixty three BC, the conspiracy of Cataline was unearthed. Evidence came forward to plots to murder senators, burn the city of Rome, overthrow the republic. You can look more into it if you want, but the Senate in Rome declared martial law to avert the danger and said essentially that the danger is so severe there's no time for trials. We've just got around these people up and execute them. And Caesar thought that was a bad idea, and he delivered a speech in the Senate against summary execution. And according to this historian, his speech is a master class in swaying a group gripped by fear and anger away from acting on their urges. And I don't know if we'll go through all of this, but we'll do part of it. Number One, name the emotions your audience is feeling. And some of this to you who are like more intuitive, persuasive, you're good at you know, you're good at speaking and influencing people. Maybe a little obvious to you, but I just thought it was interesting to see it laid out. So name the emotions your audience is feeling that you need them to not act on. Chris Voss calls this tactical empathy. Caesar begins by doing this in order to clear a little room for reason. Quote, members of the Senate, all men who deliberate upon difficult questions had best be devoid of hatred, friendship, anger, and pity. When those feelings stand in the way, the mind cannot at all easily discern the truth. And no one has ever served at the same time his passions and his best interests. When you apply your intellect, it prevails. If passion takes control, it is master, whereas the mind is.
Speaker 2: Entirely impotent and has been my experience, it has.
Speaker 3: Absolutely been my experience. That would be incredibly unpopular in politics today, where anger and passion and yeah, is like that's the only thing that matters practically.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 3: I read another study the other day as a tangent that people are much easier to mislead when they're anger. When they're angry, you can convince them of about anything if it feeds their anger.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 2: Really, that's an interesting thought.
Speaker 3: And I thought, yeah, I kind of got hung up on that because I thought, yeah, not only another person can convince me of something when I'm angry, but I can convince me of stuff that later I think, that's not true. That's not healthy, it's not good that other person isn't guilty of that. You're more easy to mislead when you're angry.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Caesar went on to say, you're gonna have a really giant baby. I got a plan for that.
Speaker 3: Let's see, but that's not enough. Number two, tell us story as quickly as possible. Are several, preferably stories that appeal to the audience's identity. Stories from history are good, especially if you're talking to a group. Caesar said in the Punic Wars, although the Carthaginians, both in peace time and during truces, often did many abominable deeds, our ancestors never did likewise when they had the opportunity, but they took into consideration what conduct would be consistent with their dignity, rather than what action could be justified against the Carthaginians, so appealed to the shared history of the group. Number three, make very clear what the story means and how it relates to your point. Caesar's point in the speech is showing restraint was essential to the Romans coming to dominate the world. That was one of their best qualities. Restraint is in your best interests you likewise, members of the Senate must see to it that the villainy of Popelius, Lentilus and the rest do not have more weight with you than your own dignity, and that you do not take more thought for your anger than for your good name. Number four, affirm emotions while making clear they are not relevant to the decision, especially if other voices are actively trying to stir up those emotions against your advice. Again, empathy plus reason. Are they trying to get us angry? We're already angry. In other words, here's what he said. Most of those who have expressed their opinions before me have deplored the lot of the nation in well structured, grand language. They recounted the horrors of the war, the wretched fate of the conquered, the rape of maidens and boys, children torn from their parents' arms, matrons objected to the will of the victors, shrines and houses pillaged, bloodshed, knacts of arson, in short, everywhere, arms and corpses, gore, and lamentation. But by the immortal gods, what was the aim of that eloquence? Was it to make you detest the conspiracy? You know, if this is the second greatest orator in Rome, and I believe the guy's right, I gotta read more.
Speaker 2: Cissera.
Speaker 3: That is so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Number five, praise your opponent's good intentions, build common ground with the real people you need to persuade.
Speaker 2: We don't do any of that anymore.
Speaker 3: Not really, And he mentions one of the guys who's on the other side of it. He calls him a gallant and dedicated man who said what he said out of patriotism. I know this man's character and such his moderation. So he singles out one of his main opponents, praises him up and down, and by the way slips in in moderation is his greatest quality. Happens to be what I'm arguing for.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Number six appeal to tradition and self explanatory. Number seven cite more history to show this is a dangerous precedent going in the other direction. Number eight recommend an alternative. He recommended that they have the guilty guys all their assets confiscated, and then be sent to prisons throughout Italy, probably to await a trial. Once the danger passed, who everybody could calm the f down. Ah, Then here's the twist, plot twist. The Senate was swayed at first, but then Cato the Younger delivered a speech in favor of execution. The Senate adopted Cato's proposal and recommended Cicero execute the prisoners. So Caesar lost. Oh but that brings us to number nine. Taking stance for moderation can be good even if you lose. Caesar probably knew he wouldn't win, but he had an additional motivation. Cataline raised an army of ten thousand by championing the interests of the poor, downtrodden, disaffected Rome, the ninety nine percent. When Cataline failed and died, the poorn down trodden remembered Caesar as a champion of their lost cause because he was reasonable and just, and indeed he became the emperor.
Speaker 2: And then number ten. Crutons are the key to my salad. They allow a crunch that you wouldn't otherwise have.
Speaker 3: Anchovies are no Now, I am staunchly pro anchovy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm disgusted by anchovies.
Speaker 3: There are fishers, right, not or something?
Speaker 2: There are a fisher something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a fish or rat? A fish or a shoe string? No, they're a fish.
Speaker 2: Very salty sounds disgusting.
Speaker 5: Listeners, Look for the new show I see you through the smoke. This is when a blind neighbor teaches Jack Armstrong barbecue techniques and a wonderful friendship reform.
Speaker 3: What army strong? And this is the Armstrong and Getty Show featuring our podcast One More Thing, Get it wherever you like to get.
Speaker 2: Podcasts, Katie. Your view on Ben Affleck smart guy, dumb guy, hot guy.
Speaker 4: Don't care. He's not bad looking. I mean he's all right.
Speaker 2: He was the world's Sexiest man once for People magazine, Oh oh, the last once.
Speaker 3: He's dead sexy. You can't deny it, but he I think.
Speaker 2: He comes off as a dope, which makes you less sexy.
Speaker 6: And in all a lot of the photos I've seen of him, at least recently, he always looks mad.
Speaker 2: Well he's a drunk. So uh, there's the drunks, unless you, you know, find a way to deal with it, tend to be quite unhappy when they're not drunk.
Speaker 3: So I came across this. This was Ben Affleck in two thousand and three talking about the future of entertainment, and I was own away about you know how much he nailed. Michael, we can stop this right and restart it, you know, stop it.
Speaker 5: It's completely impossible, Yes, of course we can.
Speaker 3: You all right, go ahead roll it.
Speaker 7: I believe that the industry has been too slow to embrace and adopt these paradigms. If you look at historically in terms of technologies, in terms of consumer based technologies, you have like basically shared where that introduces the consumer to it at no cost, at which point the consumers on the hook they figured out, they've worked out the kinks, they figured out how to interact with it and how to exploit it, and then you truge a fee, and the consumer historically has been willing to pay that fee. I think I think an annual subscription based system is the one that works. You have the music business three point four billion dollars a year business, okay, which is largely about one point seven million people in the country spending two hundred dollars a year. That's same people would spend those two hundred dollars a year each year to have us access to basically the entire library of bist in music. And of course you continue to read for subscription because you pay for new music. Relators would be paid in or directly to the to the artists. You have less overhead, you pay no shipping packaging, and you pay no You know that there's this mammoth amount of executives at music companies that are alowing off a lot of that money. I believe that paradigm is the most effective productive.
Speaker 2: That's the paradigm that Adam Smith would most want.
Speaker 7: I think their inefficiencies in the market now and I think they're being worked out. And I think file sharing is pushing the industry towards death balance because you know, it's because of its availability right now.
Speaker 1: Well, eventually it's just going to be video on demand, movies on demand because bottom line is going to eventually affect your guys's pocketbooks if piracy container.
Speaker 7: Piracy movies, and it will be it'll be moves on demand, but it'll be a tear structure. It will be like if you want to watch it first weekends, maybe it won't be available first weekend, but then if you want to watch it, you know, you'll pay more. And then as it goes to another stage and its release, it'll become less expensive. But there's a lot more adoption that has to happen technologically speaking right now before people can watch movies or at least integrate in terms of the PC web connection. You know, the catacnology is not quite there yet, but it will be within I would say five years.
Speaker 2: That's pretty impassive, and he drops in Adam Smith in there I changed my mind about Ben Affleck.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how far ahead of his time was, but if I'd been listening to that and had some cash around, I might have thought, Wow, people are going to be streaming music instead of buying it physically. I ought to get on the ground floor of whoever's doing that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what was going on in two thousand and three, that's clear back in like napster days, wasn't that Like.
Speaker 6: That's exactly because I was trying to think, why would he be talking about this? But this is when Napster and LimeWire were really big for people pirrating music.
Speaker 2: Now, Michael, you or someone that you knew, not you, you wouldn't do that now whatever someone you knew used to get pirated movies like somehow. Do you remember how they had.
Speaker 5: All sorts of burning DVD software that yeah, people could do.
Speaker 2: And they would just find him on websites online.
Speaker 5: I him online. You could uh take the physical media and then copy it. Ever were things that got around the You.
Speaker 2: Know, can that same person still do that to this day or is it harder now?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: I'm sure you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can definitely do it today, But it just not makes sense.
Speaker 3: Find point.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: So I guess Ben Affleck's point was what you're calling pirrating and and file sharing and all that is clearly the way things are going and and and.
Speaker 2: Well you didn't he didn't catch his his uh term and for whatever reason, his Boston accent was really coming out there. Did he not work as hard back then to get rid of his his share where it's wicked and smart, the share where.
Speaker 3: You got to have the sharewear.
Speaker 2: That was kind of funny. Oh yeah, with the sharewear.
Speaker 3: Fucky cat Jimmy's getting He's got sharewear for you.
Speaker 2: You give you a floppy diss just take it from him. Well it's another How smart is it? Celebrity Wednesday? Next Wednesday, will do Leonardo DiCaprio idiot or genius?
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Geddy.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack Armstrong, He's Joe Getty. Where the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: We cover the stories the mainstream media ignores the stories that are important to your life and important to the world. The election, of course, many trials of Donald Trump, a couple of wards, gender bending madness.
Speaker 2: WHI are kids looking at so much social media?
Speaker 3: And we bring you the stories the mainstream media is on, but we do it without the left wing media spin.
Speaker 2: Listen to Armstrong and Geddy on demand on America's number one podcast network, iHeart.
Speaker 3: Open your free iHeart app and search the Armstrong and Getty Show to start listening.