Speaker 1: What's good people with questlove and as you know. In honor of Women's History Month, each Friday, we'll be releasing an episode from my new podcast with the story Pirates Historical Records. It's an explosive fusion of hip hop and history, tailor made for music loving kids and families. In today's episode, Nemine travels to Texas to witness Emma Teneyuka fight for workers' rights, and Broadway star Mandy Gonzalez performs a brand new hip hop track about the pioneering labor activists. This is Historical Records, the show that proves in order to make history, you have to make some noise.
Speaker 2: Hey, listeners, Niminy here, what's that ringling sound? You ask? Oh? Nothing, Just this awesome scooter I found. Can you believe it was just lying on the floor of the bunker. Perfect timing too, you see. I woke up this morning and realize just how much history there is. There is so much work to do when here at Historical Records are simply not working fast enough. But this scooter will help me get it all done. First, let me put on my helmet. Then let's see just how fast I can go. Hey, robot voice.
Speaker 3: Roll that voice initiating.
Speaker 2: Initiating, hurry up, robot voice. I need you to time me while I scoop to the other end of the hall. There's no time to lose, Okay, start the clock in three two one go what.
Speaker 4: And so?
Speaker 2: How long was that?
Speaker 5: Four point three seconds?
Speaker 3: A new record.
Speaker 6: I've got a need to speed.
Speaker 2: Indeed, think of how much work I can get done, all the historical figures I can learn about, all the songs I can write. Oh, this is going to be my most productive episode ever. Listeners, it's time to get this show on the road.
Speaker 3: Historical Record.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to Historical.
Speaker 2: To make history, you got to have struggles to make history. You got to show toys. Cannot be quiet loud as the riot. To make history, you gotta make some noise. Welcome back to Historical Records, where we conduct highly experimental experiments combining history and hip hop. Working at top speed gets me a bit winded.
Speaker 6: But those are the.
Speaker 2: Breaks, or I guess these are the breaks anyway. Today's episode is about labor activist Emma tenne Yuka, but.
Speaker 6: Before we get to her, there's so much work to do.
Speaker 2: First order of business, check in on Tina and the rest of the raccoons and see how today's beat is coming along. I'll just give a knock here on.
Speaker 6: The studio door.
Speaker 2: Hey, Tina, I hope you don't mind that I opened the door, but I couldn't wait for you to open it. Time waiting is time wasted? Anyway, I'm checking in on today's beat.
Speaker 6: And whoa, what is going on?
Speaker 2: You're doing yoga?
Speaker 6: There's no time for yoga. TikTok, Tina. We have to finish this song. Cut out.
Speaker 2: Well, if you already finished the first half of today's beat, you'd better get started on the second half. Chop chop hop to it.
Speaker 6: No time to waste.
Speaker 2: Let me turn off these yoga tunes so you can focus. I said, no time. I'm off to check on Phil the hype Man. We need Phil to be ready with his A plus hype game or we'll fall behind schedule. Off to film office. I can't believe I caught those raccoons slipping. How are we gonna get everything done if we don't do it fast, fast, fast. Hey, maybe I should look into adding a laptop connection to the scooter so I can get even more work done on the go. Oh, look at that I'm already at Feel's office, even though Robot Voice and the raccoons were doing some new age lollygagon.
Speaker 6: There's no need to worry about Phil.
Speaker 2: It's basically a human energy drink, so that's absolutely.
Speaker 6: No way he'll be fast asleep.
Speaker 8: Part of people say what ye woo oh?
Speaker 6: He even hipes when he snores.
Speaker 2: All right, niminy, don't be distracted by how cute Phil is when he's sleep HIPing. Get back to work and wake this man up so we can get to work, I said, Sila, Oh he's still fast asleep, Thank goodness. Phil is a textbook hype man, so he always keeps an airhorn nearby and in three two one, Hello, hey Phil, quick question for you.
Speaker 8: I bet it's a good world. Lay it on me, Sure.
Speaker 6: Thing, Phil? What were you doing sleeping?
Speaker 8: Huh, tough butt fare. I just felt like my batteries be did recharge, And you know, since there wasn't any hype in to do, I thought maybe I'd make like a cat and take a quick nap.
Speaker 2: Miro, Philip, there is always hyping to do. Coffee deal, seize the day, Rise and.
Speaker 8: Grind, okay, rise and grind. What am I grinding.
Speaker 2: I don't know, coffee beans.
Speaker 6: Maybe here?
Speaker 2: Take these are.
Speaker 8: These coffee beans? Yeah, but you don't drink coffee.
Speaker 2: Philly, my man? Is that what a hype man would say?
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, coffee. You know, I'm always on the coffee grind, espresso drip.
Speaker 2: Wo, that's more like it. Gosh, I'm glad I found this scooter. I'm getting so much done. Now, off to the library to check on Gabe Today's Historian. And look, I'm gonna have a schedule.
Speaker 6: I'm doing it. I'm working faster and smarter.
Speaker 2: I'm headed for the library. Good thing I was wearing my helmet.
Speaker 3: Nimity, I heard a huge crash. Are you okay?
Speaker 2: I'm fine.
Speaker 6: Sorry about your books, Gabe.
Speaker 2: No worries.
Speaker 3: The books are fine. I'll clean them up after lunch.
Speaker 6: Lunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is my lunch break, Today's Panini day. Yum game.
Speaker 2: There's no time for my historian to take lunch. We have to explore the life of Emma Tenna Yuka, write a song, and now we have to put away these books.
Speaker 6: We can't fall behind schedule.
Speaker 8: What schedule?
Speaker 2: The one that we don't want to fall behind.
Speaker 3: Niminy, really don't worry about it. You just crashed a scooter. You should sit and take a break. Have some of my panini.
Speaker 6: I've got extra.
Speaker 2: Panini more like punin no as in no time. We have to get to today's historical figure. If you're still hungry, I have a great idea for eating on the go, on the go, gulp tube for gulping food on the go. That sounds awful, Bye awful? Do you mean efficient?
Speaker 8: I do not.
Speaker 3: Food isn't meant to be gulped on the go. Lunch breaks are good for people, and they're good for workers.
Speaker 2: They are they are.
Speaker 3: There's something Emma tana Yuka would have passionately supported too. Did you know she believed in workers' rights so strongly that she went to jail.
Speaker 2: Really, that's amazing. I need to see that. Where's this week's history simulator?
Speaker 3: You're standing on it the scooter? Yep, I was wondering where I left it. Let me just flip the simulator switch on.
Speaker 8: Ready to go?
Speaker 2: Aren't you forgetting something?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 8: My helmet?
Speaker 6: Now we're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Welcome to San Antonio, nineteen twenty.
Speaker 6: Woo, this place is I'm busy.
Speaker 2: They're singers, speakers, people waving newspapers. Are we in some kind of plaza.
Speaker 3: We are in the Plaza Plaza del Zacapte, to be exact. It's known today as Millam Park, but in the nineteen twenties it was the place for Mexican Americans to exchange news and ideas. It was where a lot of socialists and anarchists would come and spread their ideas about radical social change.
Speaker 2: I've heard the phrase getting on your soapbox, but I've never seen anyone actually do it.
Speaker 6: What do Look at that guy over there with the newspaper.
Speaker 2: What's he doing?
Speaker 3: He's reading the latest news from Mexico. There was a recent revolution where people fought against the government. Some people had to flee, and a lot of them ended up here in San Antonio. So they're anxious to hear the latest news about the new government back in Mexico.
Speaker 6: Hey, I see a little girl. Is that who I think it is?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 8: Sure is.
Speaker 3: That's a young Amatanayuka here with her grandfather. He's helping to raise Emma and he's making sure she learns everything, so he brings her here. Mika, go and listen to the different speakers and bring me back some interesting news.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, look at her run.
Speaker 2: She's so eager to hear the news.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 3: She soaks up all the energy and political discussion in the plaza like a sponge. The plaza is her school outside of school, where she learns about religion, socialism, labor movements, the injustice of segregation, and the struggle of the poor all over the world.
Speaker 2: Ooh, here's your gums, and she is ronic. I wonder what she heard, A Wilow.
Speaker 6: The railroad workers have voted to go on strike.
Speaker 3: Very good, Mica, very good.
Speaker 2: She can't be more than one eight. How amazing that she is learning all this stuff at such a young age.
Speaker 3: She's off to a radical start. Wait until you see her in high school.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: It's nineteen thirty three, right smack in the middle of the Great Depression. People all over the United States and the rest of the world are having a really hard time making a living and getting enough to eat.
Speaker 2: I see Emma, she's under that tree reading a book.
Speaker 3: Emma is always reading books. She's a junior in high school, where she's both a star athlete and a star scholar. Did you know she formed an afterschool reading club.
Speaker 6: Awesome?
Speaker 3: I love books, so do I, and so does Emma looks like she's reading The Advancing Proletariats.
Speaker 8: What is that?
Speaker 3: It's a booklet published by the Industrial Workers of the World. The IWW, also known as the Wobblies, are an international workers' union that was founded in nineteen oh five. That pamphlet is encouraging workers to unite and use their collective power to fight for better treatment.
Speaker 2: She's learning about workers' unions at sixteen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she's learning all kinds of advanced stuff. She reads enthusiastically about the Wobbleys, Thomas Paine, Karl Marx, Tolstoy, Charles A. Beard and Moore. Do you see the size of her book bag?
Speaker 6: How does she even carry it?
Speaker 2: Santa could never Hey, who's that boy approaching Emma? Oh?
Speaker 3: That's one of her classmates. He's a member of one of the school's Latino groups, Ulla Eima gomostas Ola.
Speaker 8: Hmm.
Speaker 2: He looks like he wants to ask her something, but he's hesitating.
Speaker 3: Probably because he already knows the answers.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: He's part of the League of United Latin American Citizens and he wants Emma to join their cause.
Speaker 2: But why would she say no?
Speaker 3: Because this group and other groups like it advocate for something called assimilation.
Speaker 6: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: They want to gain acceptance in society by acting more like the white people who often treat them unfairly. Emma knows that they want her to join just because she has lighter skin, meaning white people might be more willing to acceps. But she's only interested in a movement that helps all people.
Speaker 6: Ah, I see.
Speaker 2: Oh, now she's getting up and packing her book away. Where's she off to?
Speaker 3: She's on her way to the Fink Cigar Company to join the picket line.
Speaker 2: What's a picket line?
Speaker 8: I'll show you.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 3: We've arrived at the Fink Cigar Company. See that big group of people walking in front of the factory.
Speaker 2: They're holding signs enchanting strike, Strike.
Speaker 3: That's a picket line. It's one way that workers fight for better treatment. They refuse to go into the building to work and instead stay outside and protest the low pay and the bad working conditions.
Speaker 6: And there's Emma.
Speaker 2: She's holding a sign yup.
Speaker 3: At the young age of sixteen, Emma is joining the Fink Cigar Company strike.
Speaker 2: Police whistles, What are the police doing here?
Speaker 6: Nobody here is in danger?
Speaker 3: Business owners don't like it, but work go on strike it costs them money, so they often use the police to try to break up the picket lines and force the workers to give up their cause.
Speaker 8: You're there, you're under arrest.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're arresting Emma, but she didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 3: It'll be okay, and Emma will be okay. In fact, getting crested is what inspires her to go on to make history. Let's go to nineteen thirty eight. Okay, it's January thirty first, nineteen thirty eight, and we're outside of the Delicious Pecan Company.
Speaker 2: Oooh pecans. That explains the delicious smell. Are we stopping for a snack?
Speaker 3: No, we're here because this is where Emma Tenayuka made her biggest contribution to the workers' rights movement. Niminy, what do you know about shelling pecans?
Speaker 6: P conzabt sholls?
Speaker 3: Not once these workers are through with them. But shelling pecans is hard, dangerous work. These women work seven days a week, all will being exposed respiratory diseases like tuberculosis, and they get paid less than two dollars a week.
Speaker 2: Oh that is so unfair.
Speaker 3: Emma thought so too, which is why she took up the cause. Look there she is giving one of her trademark passionate speeches.
Speaker 7: Workers, we must unite against these unfair conditions.
Speaker 6: Copita laitana.
Speaker 2: What are they calling her?
Speaker 3: La capitana, which means the captain. They've unanimously elected Emma as their leader, and they're about to follow her to the picket line.
Speaker 2: We can no longer tolerate these terrible working conditions.
Speaker 6: We are on strike stright, there are so many of them.
Speaker 3: Almost twelve thousand workers walked off the job. It's the largest strike in San Antonio history, and it was the first major Mexican American action for civil rights and economic justice.
Speaker 2: I can't believe if Emma is leading this huge movement, she's only twenty two. Oh no, the police are coming to this strike too. Yep.
Speaker 3: The mayor of San Antonio sent the police out with tear gas and clubs to break up the picket lines. This is an illegal gathering.
Speaker 6: You are ordered to disperse immediately, right right, These workers are not backing down, That's right.
Speaker 3: The Pecan shullers went on strike for a whole three months. Tenna Yuka's passionate speeches brought national attention to the strike and earned her the nickname La facion Naria that Dejas. Historians today regard the strike as the first successful large scale act of Mexican American struggle for civil rights and justice.
Speaker 6: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I can't believe someone would care so much about fair working conditions that they risk getting arrested or beaten.
Speaker 3: Up or something worse. Emma received a lot of threats of violence and death just for striking. Emma was a member of something called the Communist Party in the nineteen thirties. People were very afraid of the Communists and believed that they had to stop them at all costs. It made Emma's work very dangerous. Even the FBI came to spy on her.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, did she go onto hiding. Nope.
Speaker 3: She left the picket lines, but spent the rest of her life teaching and mentoring other activists. A lot of people say that without Emma Tenayuka, there may have been no Deloresquerta or Caesar Chavez. Let's check out what she said in an interview in her seventies.
Speaker 2: She still has such fire in her eyes.
Speaker 3: And a lot to say.
Speaker 9: What started out as a movement for organizing for equal wages turned into a mass movement against starvation, for civil rights, for a minimum wage law, and it changed the character of West Side San Antonio.
Speaker 3: The goal of her activism It wasn't a certain ideology or an abstract concept, but simply food.
Speaker 2: Food, as in food that should be eaten on a RESTful lunch break and not gulped on the go exactly. Hmm, this gives me a lot to think about. I think I might need to make some changes to the way I've been working. Let's head back to the bunker. Oh, we made him back. Oh hey, all the raccoons are here. I can't wait to tell you all about Emma Tenna Yuka.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is time for the song.
Speaker 2: Indeed, let's turn this history into an epic showstopping song for the ages, featuring Broadway legend Mandy Gonzalez.
Speaker 6: So here's what you need to know.
Speaker 7: Year's nineteen thirty eight and San Antonio striking for our right to get what we're old. Strikes running long, though, and the mood is low. Just want to little mo but they still say no. Up to twenty thousand strong, our numbers grow reason by the men, they will hit it stick they mayical.
Speaker 6: This ain't ever happened in the us Pibo. Three months with thousand, we've been.
Speaker 7: Off to flow and we don't know how long that.
Speaker 4: The throng can go, like a powder cake that's about to blow.
Speaker 6: But thank god we got a leader to control the flow management. How that's working long even on the weekends.
Speaker 7: Make your only peanuts yet we even selling peek can't need it some hope.
Speaker 6: A young sister the beacon and Emma Tennor, you got.
Speaker 2: Here's what you speaking for?
Speaker 8: They treated how they.
Speaker 6: And the tota simple too.
Speaker 5: For kness, and you reduce for demasuras, dream big holiday.
Speaker 6: Yours a Latina.
Speaker 7: Emma's parents more poor but practical, But in the buzza at night with her.
Speaker 2: Bramps, she would listen to the radicals.
Speaker 7: She read words magical, picked up common sense from Thomas.
Speaker 6: Paine, and from Mark she learned of capital first joining.
Speaker 7: To strike at sixteen, she wasn't natural a residents at the protest, which made her fight more fanatical.
Speaker 8: Her flight was rational, living.
Speaker 7: Under the fists of capitalists with their backing all she joined an org found a lack in the leadership, especially bat At reaching the Latina membership after high school.
Speaker 6: She led more and led more.
Speaker 7: Read more manifestos, no emmsn as red, the PA can't strike. She runs it at twenty one workers getting four conditions.
Speaker 6: The low front. Emma's on the front line. The crowd is at a low hump on the vega phone.
Speaker 2: She is shouting on the door.
Speaker 5: Were they treated how they do? Had a totus simple tude for nasson, you produce for strongmus dreamdig halliday.
Speaker 2: Yours.
Speaker 7: We used to get actions of factions, had enough, we outper deals. But they still be passing up sick the boar. Oh honest, they harassing us. We marching mass, but the breast here gassing us.
Speaker 6: So now they're targeting our comrade.
Speaker 7: Emma feature so powerful they are like an antenna raw casted wide from the press to the wrong manner.
Speaker 6: This creates in the movement a wrong dilemma. There's a rift afraid the public would be nipped if.
Speaker 7: They knew the leader of the strike was get The communist just applied to try to make the people stop, but consequently Emma lost her stuff.
Speaker 6: She stayed on unofficial to combat.
Speaker 7: The regime won the battle, but at a toll for Archie secured rais until the greedy came and stole ardream.
Speaker 6: A few months later, we're replaced with machines.
Speaker 5: Fucking courier before they treated how they do and at a simple toua for roast, order organizing you redusor for struggle the Mazukas dream big Halliuia yours.
Speaker 6: A montena k.
Speaker 4: I continue to organize for a few boy years. The cruiser time from the woodside box. I left, the party left, the chimps left, the tears, became a teacher, and this is.
Speaker 8: What I taught.
Speaker 5: Pass sucking courier, bully treated hobby and a totus simple una for non. Asked the order organizing you producer for stronger than assulaus dream big.
Speaker 6: Hallua yours a montenau.
Speaker 5: Basking bully treated Habyja and a dotis simple junior for none.
Speaker 6: Asked the order.
Speaker 5: Organizing you producer for stronger than massukus dream big Halloluna yours a montena uku.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back after a few words for the grown ups.
Speaker 8: Whow.
Speaker 2: I could really feel Emma's passion coming through in every beat and every note. Great work, raccoons. One other thing, I'm sorry I was pushing you all so hard Earlier, seeing how hard Emma Tenna Yuka fought for workers to be treated fairly made me realize I was taking fair working conditions for granted. People fought to earn those rights, and I shouldn't be so quick to forget that. Thanks. Hey, have you guys ever thought of starting a union? Yeah, here's a pamphlet. It's called so You're a Raccoon who wants to start a union? I got it from Gabe.
Speaker 6: I know it's pretty specific.
Speaker 2: Leave it to Gabe to find the perfect literature for the moment. I feel just the hype man I was looking for.
Speaker 8: I don't need to finish that, Senches, I know exactly what you want to hear. Don't worry. I've been hyping non stop since we had a little talk. I told Tina that she made the sikest beat I've ever heard. I told some birds outside the bunker that their nest was off the hook, and I told robot boys I won't stop hyping until it Giga works.
Speaker 2: Who actually, Phil, I was going to ask you to take a break. Well, I want to apologize for interrupting your nap earlier. Going forward, you can take all the naps you need, as long as we are too behind the schedule.
Speaker 8: Of course, of course I'll wear this giant alarm clock for a reason.
Speaker 2: You know, Oh I'm not wearing clocks. Was just the standard hype man uniform.
Speaker 8: It is, but it's because being a hype man requires impeccable timing, including getting up from naps right on time.
Speaker 2: Yeah awesome. Oh hey, are you interested in joining a union? Here's a pamphlet.
Speaker 3: So you're a hype man man who wants to join a union that's made up of mostly raccoons.
Speaker 8: Simony, how did you know?
Speaker 2: Holla? Peruse that at your leisure.
Speaker 8: At my leisure. Shouldn't we ride and grudge?
Speaker 2: Nope, I hereby declare that we have finished our work for the day, and so we can spend the rest of the day taking care of ourselves.
Speaker 6: In fact, I think today is the perfect day.
Speaker 8: Oh she's pausing, so you know the rest of this sentence is gonna be good.
Speaker 2: To open up the bunker pool. Yay, Robie voice, Please open the door to the bunker pool activating door, and when you're done, take a nice long break and join us pool side. You've earned it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I am overcome with emotion.
Speaker 6: All right, y'all, last one in the pool and.
Speaker 8: Who I play? Marco? Hey? All right, robot voice, you're rid Michael?
Speaker 3: Where mycos who?
Speaker 7: It's going to be difficult to win this game without a corporeal on.
Speaker 6: How's the water felt quarter is?
Speaker 8: Go come out in and play around on Marco Polo with us.
Speaker 2: I will just give me one second to end this episode. Listeners, Thanks for joining in today and for going on a journey with me to learn about legendary labor activists and a tena Yoka, and a huge thanks to today's musical guest, Mandy Gonzalez. We'll be back next week with another episode, another song, and another hero.
Speaker 6: For now, it's time to get in the pool because it's my turn to be Marco.
Speaker 2: Until next time, remember to make history, you gotta make some noise.
Speaker 8: Bye.
Speaker 10: Historical Records is produced in partnership with Story Pirate Studios, Questlove's two one five Entertainment, John Glickman and iHeart Podcasts. Executive produced by Emir Questlove, Thompson, John Glickman, Lee Overtree and Benjamin Salga. Executive produced for iHeart Podcasts by Noel Brown, Producers for Story Pirate Studios are Isabella Riccio, Sam Bear, Eric Gerson, Andrew Miller, Lee Overtree, Peter McNerney and niminy Ware. Producers for two one five are Sean g Brittany Benjamin and Sarah Zolman. Hosted by niminy Ware. Our head writer is Duke Doyle. Our historians are Gabe Pacheco and Lee Polus. Music supervision for two one five by Stroe Elliott. Scoring and music supervision for Story Pirate Studios by Eric Gerson. Sound designed and mixing by Sam Bear at the Relic Room in New York City. Additional recording by Brett Tuban, Song mastering by Josh Han. Theme song by Dan Foster and Eric Gerson and produced by Eric Erson. Production coordination by Isabelle Riccio, Production management by Maggie Lee. The line producer for Story Pirate Studios is Glennis Brault. Pr for Story Pirate Studios is provided by Naomi Shaw. Episode artwork by Camilla Franklin. This episode was written by Alexis Simpson. The song Emma Tenna Yuka was written by Dan Foster and Eric Gerson and produced by Micah James. Special guest Mandy Gonzalez. This episode features performances by Peter McNerney, Kento, Marita Lee Overtree, Gabe Pacheco, Rebecca Roblaze, Austin Sanders, and Matt Sombrano