Speaker 1: How thieves are using Bluetooth to smash and grab, how Amazon reviews are faked, Black Friday resources and your tech questions answered.
Speaker 2: What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro.
Speaker 1: This is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about.
Speaker 2: Joining me as always producer Megan, what's up?
Speaker 3: Oh? I love that intro music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying something new.
Speaker 1: I was doing my friend's podcast and they have the same board the film Vault, by the way, and I watched them use the board and I was like, I am using one fifth of this board and they were using all these different features. So I said, you know what, I'm gonna try something new today. So tell me I feel like the music. I mean you did, But as our listeners, if you like the music, I think it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's kind of nice, a little different. Maybe I'll change it up every time, but I kind of like this little try, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: It is the eve of the holidays, because Black Friday is happening soon. That means Thanksgiving will have happened. Maybe by the time you listen to this it will be Thanksgiving. Maybe it is Thanksgiving right now. Who knows in the podcast world because you can listen whenever you want. But Black Friday is happening, and I'm gonna do some of my Black Friday tips for you.
Speaker 2: But I just found this story to be.
Speaker 1: Really interesting this week because people are gonna be shopping and they're gonna be leaving their cars in mall parking lots, and they're probably gonna be prime targets for theft. Oh yeah, and I, as a tech person, generally leave a lot of tech stuff in my cars. I will never do that again because of this story from Wired. And the story in Wired basically explains that it feels like, wait, how do these thieves know that I have a laptop in my trunk? Well, it turns out they may be using this simplest thing ever, a Bluetooth scanner app. And I downloaded one of these on my phone to kind of test it out and see what it does. All you have to do is install this on your phone, and it gives you a list of all the Bluetooth devices around you, and not just all the Bluetooth devices. You can filter by the type of device you'd like to steal or Now. The reason they have these apps is purportedly to help you find your lost stuff. So let's say you lose your fitbit around the house, your Apple Watch, you would have to use this app to like show you where it is. You could because the apps actually have like things in them that help you. It shows you like a heat map, like you're getting hotter, you're getting closer. Yeah, And so imagine if you're a thief, you can use.
Speaker 3: This to find something gift for a thief.
Speaker 1: Yes, so Wired had some trouble getting, you know, police departments to kind of admit that they're noticing this happening. They did get one on record to say it, but a lot of them were just like, we don't really know, but we kind of suspect this is happening. And the reality is, I don't think all thieves are using this, but probably some of the smarter ones are. Yeah, and it is something that you should be aware of. And so for that reason, yesterday when I went to the gym, I had my laptop in my trunk and I realized, I said, oh my gosh, I need to practice what I preach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so actually brought the laptop into the gym with Mabe.
Speaker 4: I've left my laptop in my car so many times, and now I'm never going to.
Speaker 3: Do it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the way to get around it. If you don't want to take your laptop in with you or your phone, you got to completely turn it off. Just putting on airplane mode doesn't necessarily take.
Speaker 2: The Bluetooth off.
Speaker 1: So on the iPhone, especially with the recent software update, if you put it into airplane mode, you'll notice. And try this on your phone, Swipe down access Control center, put it into airplane mode. You'll notice that Bluetooth a lot of times and Wi Fi still stays lit up. And why Google or sorry, Apple is doing that is because let's say you have a Bluetooth pair of headphones on you're on the plane, they say, all right, flip your plane into airplane mode. They don't want that connection to be disrupted, right, so they kind of keep it alive.
Speaker 3: Right, That makes sense?
Speaker 2: Crazy start, That is crazy.
Speaker 1: So it's just wild, and I guess down download one of these apps I download. I just just searched Bluetooth scander just to see how it works in your house, and it's pretty wild. And I even filtered mine here, like at the station I filtered for like iPad I filtered for computer and it shows you like even the name of the device.
Speaker 2: And the reason why.
Speaker 1: Bluetooth does this is because it's helping it. You know, that little signal that it's sending out is helping it connect. So when you go to connect, it says, like what the name of the device is pretty wild?
Speaker 3: It is crazy. It's a good story though.
Speaker 2: It is a good story.
Speaker 1: Now, well we use the new music and now I completely forgot what we decided for you.
Speaker 2: Is it this? No? Not that? Not that? This?
Speaker 3: There we go like the mix of those.
Speaker 2: Two a lot. Okay, that was really mess getting a.
Speaker 3: Little ahead of himself with the board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I promise not to try anything else.
Speaker 2: I can just imagine if you look. We have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the only time I use this sport is when we do the show, like so I only have like one minute before one minute.
Speaker 3: After right now, I know?
Speaker 2: All right? Okay, So sister Megan, first question.
Speaker 4: Our first question comes from Angel And by the way, if you want to send a question, just go to rich on tech dot tv, click the contact section and you can submit your question. So Angel asks, so we have a Visio smart TV and a much older LGTV we anxiously waited for Disney Plus. After buying the three year bundle for one hundred and forty dollars, we thought it was a great deal. We now see on the website that we can't use it on the visio and the LGTV isn't smart, so we reached out to Disney.
Speaker 3: Of course, they didn't get a response. Are we out of luck?
Speaker 4: And then they said, we are old enough that we don't watch TV on our phones or laptops, So if you have any suggestions that won't cost us more, we'd be grateful to hear them.
Speaker 2: What's the person's name again?
Speaker 3: Angel?
Speaker 2: Angel?
Speaker 1: Okay, so good question, and this is why I generally recommend getting one of these streaming devices versus the smart TV. Yeah, and with the exception of the Roku, which I feel like they update more than like the rest of them. But if you're getting like LG, if you're getting Sony even or even Samsung, like, yeah, those platforms are large. But I feel like, if I'm an app developer and I'm Disney, what am I gonna hit? I'm gonna hit the biggest platforms out there, which is comes to mind, what number one Roku.
Speaker 3: Apple, TV, Apple TV, Amazon, what's Amazon?
Speaker 2: Amazon Fire?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Amazon fire So those are the top three that you are concerned with, because that's what a majority of people have.
Speaker 2: They come from the biggest brands.
Speaker 1: After that, you'll say, okay, well, maybe we'll do something for LG. They've got a couple of smart TVs out there.
Speaker 2: Visio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're big. Let's let's do something for them. And in this case, you notice Angel that your TV the video is kind of out of luck because Video I had to come out and say, look, we don't have a Disney Plus app and we're not going to have one until twenty twenty, which is next year. Yeah, it's a long year. You never they didn't give a date, so we have no idea.
Speaker 3: Can they do an Amazon fire Stick?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that's that's really what I'd recommend in this situation. Now, Amazon Firestick is on sale for like twenty five dollars during Black Friday. It's so easy, so easy, it's always updated. That's what I use.
Speaker 3: Or what about a Roku.
Speaker 1: You can get a Roku. You can get a Roku box. You know, you can get a I Actually here's the thing. I like the cheaper Amazon Firestick better. Than the Roku box. If you're gonna go with Roku, go with the expensive one, okay, because Roku what they do is that they're lower end models that are cheap. They don't have as many features, and I feel like you lose out on some of the best features. So if you're gonna go Roku, I would rather see you spend the ninety dollars or one hundred dollars on one of their high end boxes.
Speaker 4: What are the best features of the Roku well high end box.
Speaker 1: A couple of things I love about it is you can plug headphones into the remote control.
Speaker 3: Oh see, that's something I don't have.
Speaker 2: Which would be really nice, right, but I can.
Speaker 3: Just switch out the remote maybe you.
Speaker 2: May be able to.
Speaker 1: But then you're spending the extra ten or twenty dollars that it would cost you you to just upgrade the box, right if you're originally buying that, well.
Speaker 3: I have a TC Sorry I have a different situation.
Speaker 1: But so you know, it's it's one of these things where this is why I recommend that you know, and you get you just get more stuff with a little higher slightly higher priced, whereas if you just want a basic streaming stick, I really like the Amazon Fire TV stick because it's just simple. Get the four K model. Don't get the low end model again because you do lose some of those features I like. But anyway, so back to your question Angel LG. I don't really see much about LG getting a Disney Plus app. Maybe it will, but right now, the only smart TVs that it's installed on is Android TV devices.
Speaker 2: Oh, they do have LG does have an app. Oh so it does say LG.
Speaker 1: But she says she has an older one older, So that's why it's not getting it isn't it's not smart.
Speaker 2: It's maybe half smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, Disney Plus, I will say this has been one of the more anticipated streaming services. They did a really good job with getting these apps out there. They kind of some places they just didn't fire, you know, like the I shouldn't have used that because Amazon Fire. But that's no pun intended there, because they were on fire. They were on it'd be a bad joke. But the Visio specifically video does have Chrome Cast installed, but the Chrome Cast is not the right version to support Disney Plus. So the workaround there is Airplay. If you have it available on your video, you can use that for now. So anyway, good question and lots of people using Disney Plus. I was curious if they're going to have like any new movie for the holiday season.
Speaker 2: I know they got that one on there that Yeah, have you watched it yet?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'll probably watch that. I'm going to because it looks really cute. Yeah, the kids. It seems like it's family appropriate. I did yesterday watch the fifth episode of the Morning Show.
Speaker 2: On Apple Time.
Speaker 3: I'm caught up to the fourth.
Speaker 1: Oh let me tell you, just have someplace for your jaw to drop, because like, don't be near a hard surface because.
Speaker 3: It is like crazy, whoa really?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Can you give me a hint?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, crazy things happen, Okay, So lots to catch up over Black Friday weekend. Speaking of Black Friday, I know it is happening, and hopefully you listen to this before it happens. I'm just gonna give you a couple of my places that I go as my resources for Black Friday. So number one, you've got to have a barcode scanning app on your phone. I know ninety nine percent of you are going to just shop on Amazon, but hey, you know, like you might go into the store and you might see something that you think is a good deal. Number One, have the Amazon app on your phone, give it a scan with that. But if you want to widen your search a little bit, there's an app called shop Savvy and you can download their barcode scanner.
Speaker 2: I find it to be the best out there. There used to be a bunch of these.
Speaker 1: There's not really that many reliable ones anymore, but shop Savvy seems to still be doing it well. Aiming at the barcode, it'll scan the price from over five thousand stores. Realistically, there's only like five that you care about because you're not gonna buy from some random website right, no matter how cheap it is. But it does Walmart, it does. Amazon does target the thing to watch out for. And the thing that's also kind of interesting is that a lot of time tis the cheapest price will be at eBay, which to some people they may discount that, but I've actually started not discounting that and getting some of the stuff from eBay that is cheaper as long as it's new in the box, and it works out to be fine. And you wonder, well, how does someone have a brand new Roku Ultra in a box, right, Yeah, well maybe they got it as a gift. Maybe they got it at a gifting suite, maybe they got it whatever they you know.
Speaker 2: Who knows. You don't know the person's story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there are reasons why people have these new things. Did they steal it every single time? I don't know, but maybe they did. It's hard to steal, so that's that's well, maybe they work it like a store and they just stole it like straight out.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, that would be bad. That's like the worst case scenario.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Then Google has a new price tracking tool. So if you search for an item you want on Google, you tap shopping. You tried this yesterday, right, did it work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you tap shopping and then it gives you kind of like the the product with all the prices and stuff. Don't tap where it says compare prices of twenty stores because if you tap there where you will not find this feature. Just tap like the product image and then you look at the product and it says track price and if the price goes down. And Google's very good about tracking prices because they scan the whole internet like every day, you will get an alert that the price drop and that's brand new.
Speaker 2: By the way, then this is the super secret way. This is very sneaky.
Speaker 1: You can search the ad library at Facebook dot com. So let's say you have a favorite brand, right, throw brand out there. Oh wow, Like, what are those weird clothing brands or makeup brands like Glossier or something.
Speaker 2: Like glass I sell stuff? Ye, stuff?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know. I justar you talking about them. Is it like makeup or close make up?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So let's say you love Glossier and you always see that they sometimes run like little promos in your Instagram five dollars off, ten percent off. Well, you can go on the Instagram library or Facebook library and see all the ads they're running, along with any promo codes.
Speaker 2: Or links they have to special offers. It's very sneaky.
Speaker 1: This was kind of born out of political necessity because they want to like be transpar about the political ads companies are running. But you can look up any company. So go to Facebook dot com slash ad library. Yeah, and some companies works. It works better than others. But it's really eye opening to see all the ads at some of these big.
Speaker 4: Social wild But also it's interesting because there are a lot of stores that I thought had.
Speaker 3: Promo codes that have none. I know, is I wonder if promo codes are like not.
Speaker 2: I don't think they think.
Speaker 1: I don't think they are anymore because companies can use such targeted tracking you deal stuff.
Speaker 4: So there's also did you did you mention? Though there's uh like a promo code add on extension?
Speaker 2: Which one? There's like, I mean, there's a couple I don't.
Speaker 3: You've already mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Honey, so I don't really recommend it, but you can try it.
Speaker 3: There's Honey, and then there's another key Buy.
Speaker 2: Is the one I keep buy That's that's the one I like.
Speaker 1: I find again doesn't surface as many codes, And if you're shopping on Amazon, there just aren't that many codes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, But to be honest, I just bought a mattress, one of those mattresses in a box, and.
Speaker 3: A Casper No.
Speaker 2: I bought Lisa oh l E E s A.
Speaker 1: So with Lisa and Casper and a lot of these, you can actually go into stores to go on them. So we went to the Casper store in the mall. We laid on the bed, then we went to Macy's which has the Lisa mattress in the store, and so you can go lay on it and then order it. They want you to buy it from Macy's. I just went online and sadly audit. But anyway, the promo code that I ended up using was cheaper from a random website than it was through what Wikibi found. Oh and now the promo code for Black Friday is even better, So I'm kind of annoying, but anyway, whatever. Anyway, So the other place I like to look. Dealnews dot com fantastic for finding deals online because they have a team of editors that looks through stuff and they give you reasons why things are a good deal. And then slick deals dot net is a great one. I think it's just slick deals. Is it slick deals dot com or dot net? I think slick deals dot net. And so you go there and they have a lot of great deals and those are kind of crowdsourced. So if you find deal megan online, you submit it to the website. Other people say, oh, yeah, it's a good deal, and they give it the thumbs up, and that brings it to the top. The best deals rise to the top and helps everyone out. Oh really cool thing? All right again, I totally this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, there.
Speaker 3: We go, there we go.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this next question comes from pacoh Yo, Rich. I listened to you on your podcast on and on the Tech Guy. I got turned on to Libby by a friend and Libby rocks. I have not bought a book for a couple of years now.
Speaker 3: Don't let Amazon know.
Speaker 4: I open the app on both my kindle tablet and my iPad Mini four. The Los Angeles Public Library is awesome. Have you checked out Canopy with a K, the Netflix of the lap L streaming movie channel ten free movies per month with an extensive movie library.
Speaker 3: Here's the link. Pass on the info on Canopy. Stay safe, Paco, stay safe, Stay safe.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm not a question just like no, but he's adding, so I shared Libby, which you have tried now and you are a believer, right, I'm a believer. It's amazing. I got my mother in law on it. I'm on it.
Speaker 2: I mean it's I will never buy a book again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is it owned by the Los Angeles Public Library?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: So here's the way they do it. The libraries, I think have to pay to be a part of this. So it's just like like this is like its own company. But I think that company goes to the public library and says like, hey, we can expand your reach and we'll take over all the digital kind of distribution of your books. You just let us do that, and I guess I'm sure they pay for that. Interesting, but it's not just LA Public Library. It's all the different libraries in America that want to link up. And I'm sure there's other companies that do something similar. But we live in La so we're using overdrive or sorry, it used to be called overdrive. Canopy is now what Paco is recommending. And I'm looking it up and it's the same kind of thing. It looks now, this is interesting. It says available in participating of public libraries, colleges, and universities. And I'm looking on line and here's some of the movies that I'm seeing. Chinatown, Captain Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Remember that was a couple of years ago. Moonlight, Okay, I can't really I'm trying to like search. Is there a way to like search? Not unless you log in? It looks like but again, you can get it on TV Roku, Chrome Cat.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. You can get it on all your life. I need to install this to see.
Speaker 2: But look at that.
Speaker 3: Eighth grade new story on it.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of eighth grade? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know it's on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I watched that. That was kind of sad. That was actually sad, that movie, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I watched the first ten minutes and I was like.
Speaker 1: The girl who does like this is too sad the YouTube stuff, I think she's like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey guys, oh Olivia Jade, Yeah is that who it is? Yeah, she's like watching and there's like Lady Bird trying to do her makeup like her, Oh it.
Speaker 2: Is Olivia Jade was in that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sad love Ladybird.
Speaker 2: Ladybird was great anyway, So this looks like a great it says.
Speaker 1: It has critically acclaimed movies, documentaries, award winning foreign films, and more so. I don't think it's gonna be every movie that, like, you know, you have on your wish list, but it's going to have enough where it's like another place to look for stuff and again free free.
Speaker 2: So sign up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna download this to my uh firestick and see how it works.
Speaker 2: But why not. It looks like it has a lot of kids stuff, but cool? Can it be with A K, K A N O P Y good?
Speaker 3: So is it?
Speaker 4: Is it? Well, we don't know, but is it this simile? Is it the same as like you have to place.
Speaker 2: A hold if it's not about Oh that's see, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Probably, So that's the thing with Libby is yes, because it's the public library. You don't just automatically get to read the book, right, there's.
Speaker 1: Not like unlimited copies, just like if you went into the library.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming this is the same exact way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a certain amount of people that can check out Lady Bird at one time.
Speaker 2: You put yourself on a list. So again it's not like as easy as Netflix or buying something. But again free fr ee yeah spells free.
Speaker 1: Oh speaking of free, Okay, tell me if you've heard of this, because I actually know all about this before I read this BuzzFeed article.
Speaker 3: But okay, it's free.
Speaker 2: Probably they do a really job.
Speaker 1: So you know that there's a bunch of reviews on Amazon And when I actually wrote my book, reviews. Reviews were really important last year for my book because when people saw good reviews it would make them more confident in buying it. Yeah, and I did not buy reviews. I didn't even ask people to do reviews. I did once I saw them coming in and said, hey, you know, if you bought it, you know, write a review because it helps. But I didn't realize the extent of like, if you see zero reviews, you're like.
Speaker 2: Eh, nobody's buying this right.
Speaker 1: Well, companies are very hip to this, And this BuzzFeed article by Brian Anselm goes through the process of explaining how companies.
Speaker 2: Get bogus reviews. Well, the reviews are real, but here's how they do it. Basically, you're Megan.
Speaker 1: You go on a secret Facebook group that has a whole bunch of offers. Hey, this new hairbrush will send you. They won't send you one for free. You buy this hairbrush on Amazon. Once you leave a five star review for it, we will reimburse you with a gift card in the amount of.
Speaker 2: That hair brush plus plus you get to keep the brush.
Speaker 3: So you get the brush for free and you get your money back.
Speaker 1: You're not making any money, but you're getting a whole bunch of free products.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this goes.
Speaker 3: On and I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised either, but it's kind of sad.
Speaker 4: It's really annoying because I'm always looking at reviews on Amazon and sometimes I'm like, this review just like feels fake, right, And.
Speaker 2: They used to so Amazon the way this used to happen.
Speaker 1: So Amazon has banned giving people free products in exchange for reviews. So it used to be on Amazon there were entire websites dedicated to where you could go on and just search for stuff you wanted.
Speaker 2: Let's say you love makeup products. Yeah, bing bing bing bing bing, they.
Speaker 1: Send it to your house and all you had to do in your review is say, I'm writing this review because I got a free product in exchange for their review.
Speaker 2: It didn't cloud my judgment at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, Amazon was like no, no, no, no more, We're not doing that.
Speaker 2: So now you can't do that. So these companies have found a way around it by private Facebook, private Facebook groups, so we're not giving and they don't give you the product for free.
Speaker 1: You buy your credit card, which by the way, gives that little badge that says verified purchase.
Speaker 2: So it's even more terrible. Yeah, isn't this crazy? So you got to read this article in BuzzFeed.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you've ever checked for links in the show notes and you found that they weren't there, Ray and San Diego really got on me for not doing that, and so I said, you know what, I was waiting for someone to call me out and they did.
Speaker 2: Ray did, yeah, And so now I put the links in, so when you.
Speaker 1: Go to the show notes, you've got all the links to everything I mentioned, so you don't have to go find this article on BuzzFeed. Ray, Yeah, Ray in San Diego, thank you anyway? Crazy Huh, It's just annoying.
Speaker 3: Like how are we supposed to really know?
Speaker 4: I guess everyone has their own opinion, but then there's all the fake opinions.
Speaker 1: So it's just like fake pinions, as I call them, opinions opinions. So this is why you have to listen to someone like me that actually gets stuff.
Speaker 3: Don't to me.
Speaker 2: Well, they listen to.
Speaker 1: You too, But I'm just saying like, this is why reviewers, and you know, even INFLA winswers are more important nowadays because you feel like you trust them.
Speaker 2: You've gotten to know them through their videos. Right.
Speaker 1: So I just started following this girl named Ali Fedatowski.
Speaker 3: Love her.
Speaker 2: Do you know who it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so I knew of her. She was the original Bachelorette, right or Bachelor what.
Speaker 2: Do you call it?
Speaker 3: She was on the original She was like number four bachelorette.
Speaker 2: She was on the original show.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and so she was on the Bachelor.
Speaker 4: Oh no, Melissa in the Bachelor. Okay, she and then she went on to become the Bachelorette, did she? And then she was ONNY for a long time. She was a reporter, and I think she might sometimes be okay, but well.
Speaker 1: She has a lot of followers, and so her husband actually works at the radio station here in LA and so anyway, I just was fooking at his stuff and I was like, oh, well I remember her, like started following her.
Speaker 2: She is very into storying her life.
Speaker 3: Oh all bachelorette, Like I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So yeah, okay, you did you have a question that was we were talking about Libby?
Speaker 3: Well it was it was it was about canopy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's my turn.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're let's talk about the new Ford Mustang all Electric mock e. For the first time in fifty five years, Ford has a new Mustang with an suv. I don't know what I think about an suv Mustang, but it makes sense because when you think Mustang, what do you think?
Speaker 2: What comes to mind? A horse like power?
Speaker 3: Strong?
Speaker 1: Yes, strong, Like this is like a machine like yes, Like you would not think an suv that's electric.
Speaker 2: You might think that's wimpy.
Speaker 1: It's like no, no, no, there's a Mustang power. We mean business here, yeah, room room room, right. And so the new Ford Mustang E. So I'll give you a little inside baseball mock E. So Ford was like, hey, Rich, do you want to get an early heads up of this Mustang? And I'm like, of course I do, right, Like this is amazing an electric car from Ford, which I think it's their first all electric. Maybe it's not, maybe they have another one, maybe they have a whatever, yeah, but it's a Mustang whatever. So I and I'm like, in the course, and this is totally inside baseball, but like you know, they're asking me like, okay, here's your setup, you have an interview, you can walk around the car. Inside baseball means like this is stuff that I probably shouldn't be telling the home listener, but I am because it's very much like probably four doesn't want me to say this, and it's very much like it's behind the scenes. So they negotiate with me back and forth, like hey, we'll give you a look at this car before anyone else sees it. And I didn't even realize what a big deal this was. But my main thing was like I want to see I want to take a drive in this car.
Speaker 3: Oh, I remember this because seeing a.
Speaker 1: Car is one thing, but like, I'm not Car and Driver magazine, Like I don't we're not doing pictures of this car for people, Like I want people to see what it's like to ride.
Speaker 2: An electric Mustang that's an suv.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so they come back and forth, and so finally two things happened to Guy's like, well, when you see it, it's gonna be totally i'm uh, disguised, Like they put camouflage over it. I don't know if you've ever seen this driving, but the new cars that like all these like editors of like road and track and stuff, are driving, Yeah, they cover it up with like these weird things you can't tell what the car is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's number one.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's gonna be camouflage and number two, we're not doing a test drive.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right, well talk to me when I could do a test drive. Yeah, Like, I don't. I get it. You have a great car, but like I want to see what it's like as an average person to drive this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So it didn't work out needless.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, we didn't get that story. They're doing this story.
Speaker 1: Ever, So the Mustang mach e U looks like it's gonna be available. I don't know either next year or the next year, but it's about anywhere from like forty five thousand to like sixty thousand dollars. They have so many different versions of this thing. It's gonna go about three hundred miles on a charge.
Speaker 3: Should we know what it looks like?
Speaker 2: Now we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks really nice. It's beautiful, But it's just one of these things. They're trying to go heads up against Tesla, which I think they can. But when you think Tesla, if you're gonna now Tesla's Tesla's SUV is about eighty thousand, so you're talking you're getting an suv for like you know, a third of the price.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry, that's better a.
Speaker 1: Third off, I should say, yeah, so I think that they have a chance here. But I personally am not buying a brand new Oh it's gonna come out in twenty twenty, I'm not buying a brand new first generation electric car, like nope. Like Tesla's been doing it for a little bit. So if I was gonna put eighty thousand dollars, if I was ever going to do that for a car, which I probably never will, but if I was ever going to do that, I would put.
Speaker 3: It towards So you're like, it's like eighty percent now right now?
Speaker 1: No, I would say in if in twenty twenty one, if I'm ready, when I'm ready to buy my new car, which I do think will be electric, I will give this a look.
Speaker 3: A Tesla. No, no, the Mustake, the must You'll never give Tesla a luck, No.
Speaker 2: I will, but not for eighty grand.
Speaker 1: I'm not spending eighty I would give the Tesla three yeah a look, and probably that that one is like probably the way I looked at it was like forty five to fifty because they say it's like thirty whatever, But like when you really add all the stuff you want, it's not like any car gets more expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, that's it.
Speaker 1: So I think that it's cool that they're doing that, and I'm glad that Ford is getting on board, and I'm glad the whole electric thing is progressing. My concern with electric is still it's like I just want to be able to get in my car and go, and I have a lot of fears with electric, like if I have to drive to San Francisco.
Speaker 2: I guess if you're in California, you're fine, but it's like if you it's just I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's like a freedom associated with a gas car and even a hybrid car.
Speaker 4: Well, because you can always stop and load it in five minutes, and don't they have fast charging.
Speaker 2: Do but it still takes a while.
Speaker 4: It's still got to get the cord out exactly. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: And the time I took a test drive with the Tesla, I drove up to San Francisco and back as a proof of concept to like see what it's like. And it was fine, but I had to eat lunch both there and on the way back, and my lunch was like thirty five dollars. Yeah, while I was sitting there for half an hour charging it.
Speaker 2: So it's like, we didn't have to have lunch. What are you gonna do? Go hungry?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I had to have lunch, eat.
Speaker 3: A power bar.
Speaker 1: I eat power bars every day of my life. I wanted a nice lunch power bar Paris Ranch and that's right.
Speaker 3: Eight pick in and out next time.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of odd. I do I ate the charge it in and out, That's what I'm saying. I had to go to Harris the chargers.
Speaker 2: See this what I'm talking about. And then when you stay at your hotel, the hotel I stayed that just happened to have charger in and out.
Speaker 4: If you're listening chargers, you need to add a trick field vehicle charger.
Speaker 1: So and the time it takes to go through the in and out drive through, you would have a half an hour to drive.
Speaker 2: Her charger car.
Speaker 3: Geez geez.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time I ever had in and out when I came to LA. When I went to USC never even heard of it in my life, never heard of anything.
Speaker 2: So I didn't even hear of LA. I didn't even know what it was. I just came here.
Speaker 3: You didn't even know what like Texas was no.
Speaker 1: Literally I didn't Australia. I'm not kidding. I grew up in the biggest bubble in New Jersey. I never knew anything outside of the East Coast. The farthest I'd ever been in my life was Ohio once, and I didn't even know what California was, never heard of it until literally, I'm not kidding you had never heard.
Speaker 4: Of California, California, Ia until I got something in the mail.
Speaker 3: Or sorry, seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I saw a little Hollywood sign. Yeah. I know it's tough to believe, but like I grew up in a bubble.
Speaker 1: It was very much like just we went up to Upsot date in New York and I knew about I'm not even sure I've heard of Los Angeles, but I don't even think I knew.
Speaker 2: Anything about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't sell yourself short.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding about I did not.
Speaker 1: I never even heard of usc Yeah, I knew there's something I knew the world was, and it ended right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still.
Speaker 1: It ended at the edge of New Jersey. No, I really, it's really weird, like.
Speaker 3: The Jersey Shore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what my kids, I mean, I think about what they know at eight years old. My kid knows Mexico because we've been there. Yeah, they're going to know Hawaii because we're going there. He knows Las Vegas but in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: But they don't really know, like you know, yeah right, No, I get what you're saying. I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: It's really weird.
Speaker 1: We think back to like what you knew as a kid and watching kids grow up and like learn things, like my kid will ask me questions in the back of the car, like dad, so is this how it works?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And like you're like, oh, yow, like they really their little brains or they don't know.
Speaker 3: No, they don't, they don't. Yeah, all right, all right, yeah this is me.
Speaker 4: Next question comes from Jim enjoyed you very much sitting in for Leo. Heard you describe your method of scanning by phone and saving receipts. Couldn't catch all the details and I have an Android phone. Are there details documented anywhere? So basically he wants to know, how do you scan? Is there a scanner app for an Android phone?
Speaker 2: Oh? Android, okay, I've learner refused on Android or iOS so I did talk about on the Leo Show.
Speaker 1: I got a caller and someone asked about, you know, going paperless, and I said, I did this a couple of years ago, I think in twenty seventeen, where I decided everything's got to go, and here's what I do.
Speaker 2: So I do a combination of things.
Speaker 1: I mostly use my phone to scan stuff, and so I will use either the Google Drive app. If I'm on my Android phone, you go into Google Drive, you press the plus sign and scan. I think we talked about this before. I think we talked about this last week and I thought we did, or maybe I've just talked about it on the radio so many times that like it all blends together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the main thing.
Speaker 1: If you have Android, okay, and then on Android also you can use like the Adobe Scan app, you can use the Office Lens app. There's a lot of different apps. I found that those two are probably the best that give you. On Android, you get a wide range of clarity when it comes to the scan of the PDF, which is really weird. On Apple, it basically all looks great. It's because of the way that Android photo our cameras interact with the app. They're not necessarily written perfectly so anyway.
Speaker 2: But I would say that's the way to do it.
Speaker 1: And then the way that I've done it with my scanning is for a couple of years, I just did everything in Google Drive and just throw it all in there, right, and then you can search Google Drive by you know, it scans everything in your PDFs for keywords, so you can scan like let's say your doctor's name is doctor Smith. You can type in Smith and find all the statements from doctor Smith, right, And so that's easy. But if you want to get a little bit more organized, which I found because for the first couple of years I didn't do any organization.
Speaker 2: I said, I'll just search for the name.
Speaker 1: But then I realized it's a little bit easier on yourself as the years go on to put everything into a year folder. So I do twenty nineteen, and then I do everything by specific whatever the company or business or whatever is, So I don't just do a house folder with everything that has to do with my house, house insurance, you know, whatever electricity, I do, whatever the biller's name is, so like I'll do like LADWP and that way. When I want to find that, I go Because when you think about your house or apartment, you don't think like oh my apartment.
Speaker 2: I know this was my apartment. You think my spectrum bill, right, yeah, like be really specific and it just helps.
Speaker 1: Like if you have a doctor, put them by doctor for medical. I'll do like you know, rich medical and you know, put stuff in there. So like I kind of, you know, because I don't have that many things, thank god, right now. Maybe as the years go on, all specific those out right, but right now I just have a general for that. But anyway, so that's the methodology that I use. And I find that you can dump everything into Google Drive at the base folder, and then on a Saturday and Sunday you go through and kind of like drag them into the folders that you need to. So I have a very specific way of doing it. I keep everything not every weekend, probably once a month. I go through and actually scan everything in and then organize it into folders. Like on a Saturday morning, I should be doing this or Friday night, depending on how much I got to see.
Speaker 3: That's a big Friday activity for me.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a good Friday night for you.
Speaker 3: Like at like six pm, I'm like that that.
Speaker 2: Don't you have that wine glass that holds a full bottle?
Speaker 3: No, I just that's called a bottle. You mean the bottle, the bottle, the.
Speaker 2: Bottle drink from that. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about but before we do this, Okay, a website called only on Streaming dot Com and Megan, I think.
Speaker 2: You'll like this.
Speaker 3: Okay, only free.
Speaker 1: Yes, But here's the thing. So a lot of people wonder how you find all these shows. There's so many new streaming services, Like we talked about The Morning Show, which is only on Apple Tea, and if you go on Netflix, they have so much stuff. Like if you ever tried to find something on Netflix, and like you can literally see a show and let's say you find it on the Netflix home screen and you search for it on the web and you're like this came out like six months ago?
Speaker 2: How did I not know about?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Happens all the time. So this website only on Streaming dot Com brand new has current information on upcoming titles and current titles from Netflix, Amazon, Disney Plus, Hulu, DC Universe, CBS, YouTube, Crackle, Apple TV, and other originals. So this is not cataloging everything available, it's just the originals.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking right here. The night before Christmas night spelled with the k N. You know, yes, you would.
Speaker 1: Netflix is clearly going after the romantic comedies. Look who at stars Emmanuel Chakiri.
Speaker 2: But you won't like this. Who is that the girl from Entrage? It isn't that her.
Speaker 1: I didn't really you never watched it was probably a little bit before. I'm pretty sure that's Sloan. Let me say I think she was. I think that's who it is. I just know Ari Gold, Okay, so you know him, right, yes, yes, look at that.
Speaker 3: Nice job.
Speaker 2: I don't know many people, but point for you. Okay. Anyway, So this is really it's actually a very well done website. I hope they can keep it up.
Speaker 1: But they have all of the originals, so you can see the originals that just came out, which is really cool. There's a crown, and then you've got you can sort, so you can do browse all types. So let's say I just want to see movies and I just want the I like comedies a lot, so I'm just gonna put comedies and I'm gonna say go, And now I can see all the comedies that just came out on Netflix, eighty four of them, and you can sort by release date.
Speaker 2: Or eight ISZ look at this? How great is this?
Speaker 3: Do they have ratings or no?
Speaker 2: When you look inside them?
Speaker 1: Yes so clause TVPG No I mean reviews. Oh sorry, I thought you're like, I don't watch any thing, righted?
Speaker 2: Are I don't p for me?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yes they do.
Speaker 1: They give you the IMDb, which I find those not to be very good, but they give it to you. I would rather see something like a metacritic, but it doesn't matter. I mean you could see, you know, you can get a good idea. Maybe they do have you know what, these are probably all so new that they probably don't have as many you know, ratings.
Speaker 4: Have you ever watched a movie and then looked it up and it had and you loved it and has terrible ratings?
Speaker 2: You like?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Give me an example. I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: I like a lot of those dumb comedies like the stupid uh like Jonah Hill kind.
Speaker 3: Of stuff, like the oh yeah, step Brothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah I never saw that one actually, but that kind of genre of like I just like dumb movies. Yeah, basically yeah, his.
Speaker 3: Movies do don't they like? Don't like they're like the funniest movies.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of Man, yeah, like something like that. Like, Okay, I'm just trying to think of a good example. But I like those kind of dumb, thoughtless movies on a Friday night where I don't don't have to think about anything and I can just watch and laugh and it's not the best movie in.
Speaker 2: The world, but it's funny and you're like, okay, this is yeah, it makes me smile. Yeah, and I look them up. I don't. I actually don't go a lot by ratings because I just don't care.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: Like I'd rather just you know, see the movie and just kind of have your own opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I'll watch the trailer basically and kind of read a little bit about it, and you know, I don't go by IMDb for sure. I might look up Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, but like even Rotten Tomatoes, like some of these dumb movies.
Speaker 2: Like what was the one Last Year the Christmas movie? It was like on Netflix. It was like something with Christmas prints, the Christmas Clause or something like that or something.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm not big on Christmas movies, so oh you're not.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's an interesting little nugget we got about you. Yeah, that's sad.
Speaker 3: Well, I just haven't watched.
Speaker 2: A little part of you that's kind of dead inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I yeah, we can talk about this next week.
Speaker 2: We only have like two minutes left.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just I like them as a kid, and then I think I just watched too many. I think I was inundated with Christmas movies and so now I'm just like, interesting, I just watch horror movies during Okay, Christmas?
Speaker 2: Do you really know I'm giving?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, as I get older, I like Christmas movies even more because you've kids.
Speaker 2: May Well, yeah, maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: It's just like the nostalgia of like, I really enjoy that holiday season, and like the older you get, the like more compact. It feels like there's only twenty two days between Thanksgiving and Christmas?
Speaker 3: Sure, which is expressing me out?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Is that really possible?
Speaker 3: Twenty four can't be twenty two?
Speaker 2: I can't be. Why is there anyway whatever there's Do you wish that it's Amber?
Speaker 4: Do you wish that the month of December was a longer month, Like if there was any month that could be like thirty six days but each December? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why didn't they make leapier like before Christmas? Yeah, I don't know. I don't know, Megan, you know, I don't nobody we will never know.
Speaker 3: I'm only ninety two years old.
Speaker 2: What you're only Oh, I'm doing the wrong one. I was. I was seeing the music playing us out. Oh cool, So that weird?
Speaker 1: Now it can do that, right, that's really cool. All right, Well, let's take the time to thank who needs to be thanked. Thanks mom, Thanks to you for listening, including Megan's mom. Yeah, and you and yours and our subscribe to the newsletter. You can go to richon tech dot, tv, Slush, or just look up newsletter.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to this podcast.
Speaker 1: If you're listening for the very first time, you're like, what a train wreck of a show? How is this produced by KTLA and Rich and Megan. Well it is, and it does pretty well.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: So hey, you know what, it's something's working. My boss likes it, we all like it.
Speaker 1: And I get a lot of emails from you saying you like it. So look, we may try new things and do weird music and whatever, but the end of the day, this is ours, this is me. Nobody's taken away from us.
Speaker 3: Are you crying?
Speaker 2: So see a little teer there.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to the podcast. Just search Rich on Tech in your favorite podcasting app. You can find my book one hundred and one iPhone Tips and Tricks on Amazon. That makes a fan fantastic gift. And if you want producer Megan to read your.
Speaker 2: Question, tweet me, tweet her. Do you even use Twitter sometimes?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? I love Twitter?
Speaker 2: Producer Megan on Twitter? And look at this. We've talked so long we've.
Speaker 3: Run it looks like we have to replay the song.
Speaker 2: This is how good we are at this? Wow?
Speaker 1: Can you believe that KFI is going to let me host four hours on Black Friday?
Speaker 2: Like doing this kind of antics? I thought so too, but clearly they're letting me.
Speaker 1: So, if you're listening to KFI AM six forty in Los Angeles on Black Friday, I'll be hosting from ten.
Speaker 2: To two ten to two. I hope they don't listen to this there too.
Speaker 1: Meghan might be there as well, so we may be pulling the same shenanigans there. I hope they have someone that knows how to play the music, because we sure don't.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: Submit your question to Megan, how can people find you?
Speaker 3: Twitter? Producer Megan and uh did you change?
Speaker 2: Oh you did? Sorry?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, are you okay?
Speaker 2: I think it's yes, Producer Meghan on Twitter.
Speaker 1: I am at rich Demiro on Twitter, Rich on tech everywhere else, my website, rich on tech dot t V.
Speaker 2: Submit your question there and we will talk to you real soon. Bye bye