Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always went. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart and today we're joined by Jannis Brody, Corey, Marge Roman and Seth. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at the number five that how many days until the third season of Meat Eater Kids is released. The first episode will be available on June thirtieth on the Meat Eater Kids podcast feed. We'll have five new episodes this summer, with new ones dropping each Monday through the end of July. We've got new stories, new critter noises, new jokes, and new trivia. Again. That's the Meat Eater Kids podcast feed on June thirtieth.
Speaker 3: I just had a fellow today tell me on the phone how much they enjoy him and the kids listening to that. They put it on on their way to basketball practice and they really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: We've got a new crop of kids this year playing trivia. We've got Corey Culkins junior. It's gonna be there. He was. He was the highlight of that day recording those episodes. I'm glad you.
Speaker 4: Thinks so too.
Speaker 5: Did Marshall feel like a star after he left? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, he thinks he's a celebrity now.
Speaker 2: Oh good, yeah, okay. He will be in five days on June thirtieth.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: Here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the Medeater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Joel Donneley says, what's the most common question people send? I talked about this in the past, similar with a with a different question. There's a lot of people who are right in asking what state has the most miles of shoreline or the most running water, And they'll also provide like five different answers Kentucky, Nebraska, Alaska, California. So that's that's a common one people will send. But there's a different question that is very cut and dry. It's been sent to me thirty one times. I just checked this morning. What's the longest running outdoor TV show. No one's gonna get this. Do you guys have any guesses?
Speaker 6: Longest running out that's abroad, hot and fishing.
Speaker 2: You've never even heard of this? The answer is Kentucky Afield.
Speaker 7: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, yeah, Kentucky Field. Thirty one people have sent that Kentucky Field does a very good job of branding that they are the longest running outdoor TV show. It's part of the communications arm of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife. It's been airing since nineteen fifty three. They claim it's the third longest running TV show of any subject matter and is just slightly younger than Meet the Press and the Today Show.
Speaker 8: So kentuckyd or is it like a public access thing?
Speaker 2: I don't know where they aired. I'm guessing on local stations in Kentucky, But like I said, it's put on by their state's wildlife agency and it's just a standard hunting fishing show with a touch of conservation. And they love to tell those folks in Kentucky who see it that it's the longest running outdoor TV show. So much so that thirty one people in the last four years have sent me that question.
Speaker 3: Well man, and just after ten seasons of meteor we were like, man, what are we gonna do next? We got to send Steve all the way to Africa. And these guys have been doing thirty one seasons in one state.
Speaker 2: I know thirty one times I've been sent this question. They've been doing this since nineteen fifty three, so seventy years running seventy seas. Like I said, only Meet the Press and The Today Show are older than them. So good for you, Kentucky Field, thanks to those folks who have sent that question. As you can tell, it would be one that no one would get right, but good for the folks in Kentucky Field.
Speaker 3: Do you know what the most common infrequently asked question is too?
Speaker 4: That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of them was about when Meat Eater podcast guests will start participating again. That was a common one that folks would send in or we have some housekeeping. During the Jabroni Championship, we had a question about the name of the yellow wildflower that combines an injury with a woman's name. Corey, would you put for that one? The brown eyed Susan brown eyed season, which is not right and gave me a real chuckle. The brown eye. The correct answer was the black eyed Susan. Now, Michael Mote wrote in to say that besides the black eyed Susan, there should be another acceptable answer. It's not the brown eyed Susan. It's the cut leaf daisy. Those are a yellow wildflower and it does combine an injury with a woman's name, So if you said cut leaf daisy for that one, then you'd also get cut leaf. A cut would be an injury, and it's a daisy, so a cut leaf daisy would I would give that if someone nobody in the room said that, and only one listener wrote in with that commentary, So if you were Michael or another person who said cut leaf daisy, we'll give it to you. We're still not going to accept brown eyed Susan though, which Corey said is a precursor to getting pink eye. Very much enjoyed that right. The Shelby ind extra today is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop phill. Look, I need to know what I stay under win everything?
Speaker 1: How's it just tend to win?
Speaker 2: Everything, Demon Suckers. Question one. The topic is woodsmanship. This first great question is via Charlie McDonald and as always, it will be multiple choice. If a lightning strike and thunder are separated by ten seconds, then how far away is the lightning? Is it one mile, two miles, ten miles or miles For our international listeners, that's one point six kilometers, three point two kilometers, sixteen kilometers, or thirty two point two kilometers. So if a lightning strike and thunder are separated by ten seconds, then how far away is the lightning? Your four choices? One mile, two miles, ten miles, twenty miles. Does anybody know this?
Speaker 7: I know what we used to say when we were a kid.
Speaker 2: Yes, same right, same, see if that's accurate or not? Again? One, I've heard it somewhere two miles, ten miles or twenty miles. And that's if the lightning strike and thunder are separated by ten seconds, and that is one point six kilometers, three point two kilometers, sixteen kilometers or thirty two point two kilometers.
Speaker 7: We're in America, miles.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? That's another common IFAQ? Can we get more? Canadian New Zealand Australian questions. Those three groups specifically, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have SATs saying ten Roman, ten, Giannis ten, March ten, Corey ten, Brody ten. The correct answer is two miles. Nobody got it right. The general rule is that you count the number of seconds separating lightning and thunder than divide by five for miles, were divided by three for kilometers. Noah says that anytime you're close enough to hear thunder, you're close enough to get struck by lightning.
Speaker 1: We just left off that divide by five party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, so ten seconds would be two miles for every five seconds.
Speaker 3: We were always all thinking we were a lot closer or a lot farther.
Speaker 2: So Brody was your board?
Speaker 1: Say hello, Mike Lee.
Speaker 2: The back of Brody's whiteboard says, suck it, Mike Lee, you're here. Question two. The topic is conservation. This seven letter word is defined as quote the breaking of ice chunks from the edge of a glacier. Oh man, I hope I can get seven. This is question two. All six of our players got question one wrong. This seven letter word is defined as the breaking of ice chunks from the edge of a glacier. Jannis and Rody and Corey seem like they know what seth? Do you have this one?
Speaker 1: Right? Wow?
Speaker 9: The word I the word I chose didn't quite add up.
Speaker 2: You've probably seen more glacier anyone else here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've seen this happen for.
Speaker 2: This seven letter word is defined as the breaking of ice chunks from the edge of a glacier.
Speaker 10: Makes me think of The Titanic.
Speaker 5: My kid really wants to watch that, and I think, oh, you don't let him.
Speaker 7: Well, it's a three hour movie.
Speaker 2: And a half. He's watching nights.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: You know a fun fact one of the crew members there's a last minute like crew exchange, and guy got off the ship with the only key for all of the binoculars on the entire boat, so they didn't have buyinos the entire time they were out there. They were just locked away in a locker because of a last minute cruise on the real Titanic, the Real Titanic. Another fun fact, when they took took off from port, there was a fire burning on board that had been burning in one of the coal never cold storage areas for over a week and a half. They didn't put it out for two days into the voyage. So fun fact, so.
Speaker 6: Mark's gonna do a Titanic trivia.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: Seven word is defined as the breaking of ice chunks from the edge of a glacier. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sath and Roman without an answer. Giannis says calving. Marge without an answer. Corey and Brody say calving. They got The correct answer is calving. Calving can happen to glaciers, icebergs, and ice shelves. If it happens on water, the falling ice can cause hazardous waves. These events are so powerful that the World Wildlife Fund says a calving glacier generates the loudest natural sound in the Arctic Ocean. Where were you at when you saw Calvin glacier?
Speaker 9: Set was in interior Alaska. We can't well, we're I was dull sheep on with Steve and his brother and we can't like.
Speaker 4: The whole valley below.
Speaker 9: Us was a glacier. So you lay there at night in your tent and just hear that thing, Oh, big chunks falling off of it all night long.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, yeah, very cool. It was loud.
Speaker 2: Question three the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Nicholas Bush. This is an audio question. Bill is going to play you one minute of a song about fishing, and you need to tell me who the artist is. Take it away, Phil on.
Speaker 6: Nitty Gritty, I'm already mad.
Speaker 11: I love her set, I love the fish.
Speaker 2: I spend all day out all this leg nail. It's all like catch.
Speaker 4: But today she's an easy one.
Speaker 2: At the door, said.
Speaker 5: I, what do we need to tell?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Tell me who sing who is singing this song? She'd be packing all her things and she be gone by.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's terrible. I just go I'm just like a go to country guy. And then I just whose name I write down when these things come up?
Speaker 4: If you don't have it by now, you're not getting.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: He doesn't say his own name in this song, set.
Speaker 3: No, it ain't Luke Colmbs song set No, thank you.
Speaker 10: All these music ones are always a genre of music that, to be honest, I don't listen to. So it's really hard for.
Speaker 2: Me, like throw me something sounds a little like Axel Rose woe write that down. Seth needed two words and he had the answer. Corey, how do you feel about your antser really bad, okay, really bad.
Speaker 3: What if there's any rap songs where they mentioned and fish?
Speaker 2: We had Hucci Mama as an answer a few weeks ago, which is a rap song. There you go. You know, I don't know that song, Seth, you really liked that song?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not my favorite, but I don't I don't mind it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Kelsey didn't like Kelsey didn't make you pick between No.
Speaker 9: I listened to a lot of country there you go, a lot of people give me ship about that, but I don't give a ship.
Speaker 2: A lot of people like Steve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Steve, for sure, he's only.
Speaker 7: Against a certain type of country.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like That's where I fall too.
Speaker 3: I listened to a lot of country too.
Speaker 2: This country was not your favorite country, Okay, I'm with that.
Speaker 4: I like all the country, the old, the semi old, the new.
Speaker 2: Okay, again, you need to tell me who was singing that song. It's everybody ready, Phil, what do you think of that song? Not my favorite? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying Brad Paisley without an answer. Jannis says, Randy, Travis, Marge says, Keith Urban Corey says Alan Jackson Brody says Morgan, the correct answer is Brad Pace.
Speaker 4: At least you guys wrote down country.
Speaker 10: Ours that was a country artist, right.
Speaker 9: To Brad Paisley, I mean I grew up listening to country radio, so I don't know whenever, So you knew about him.
Speaker 4: As a kid. Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That tune is called I'm Gonna miss Her or the Fishing Song. Brad Paisley wrote it in college and performed it at a student concert, then tried selling it to Garth Brooks, George Strait and get this Alan Jackson, Corey. He eventually decided to keep the song for himself and released it on his second album in two thousand and two. I'm Gonna Miss Her got CMA nominations for Song of the Year, Single of the Year, and video. It was a highly celebrated.
Speaker 9: When post Blone started dabbling with country, he covered that song and it was fantastic.
Speaker 11: Brad Paisley's a paleontology net he I worked them of the rockies.
Speaker 8: He came in. He was just there a month.
Speaker 2: I saw you. He had a photo there a little while ago. You get him on the pod nice and he married the woman in that music video who was Phil I bet you loved According to Jim Right, No, no, she she was the sister in law on that show, and that's that's his wife. Question for the topic is hunting, common, hooded and red breasted are the three types of this North American diver duck?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: These things are tasty.
Speaker 2: Corey Brody, Yanni all seemed to know this one. Common, hooded and red breasted are the three types of this North American diver duck? Common comma, hooded comma. Look at you right behind, you can see it. Common is one, hooded is two, and red breasted is three. There are the three types of North American diver duck of this.
Speaker 4: Where is Randall?
Speaker 2: He's in Germany right now? Oh yes, We're gonna have two Randallists episodes here the next couple weeks.
Speaker 3: What if Steve was haunting in Germany? Would you be any more excited about that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little more? Yeah, I don't know. America's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Seth is about to spend America's birthday in Africa. He leaves in a couple of days again.
Speaker 3: Question four, which country in Africa is that?
Speaker 4: Which country? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Uh, well, Africa is the country, right yes, I don't know.
Speaker 8: Said you're going to Tanzania.
Speaker 4: Tanzania no interest.
Speaker 2: And we can tell common hooded and red breasted are the three types of this North?
Speaker 7: You know, since your expectations are so low.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think everyone I talked to says that going there changes their life.
Speaker 2: So that's what are you going to celebrate the Fourth of July while you're there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 2: Some fireworks, big old American flag with Does everyone have an answer for question four? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying merganzer. Roman says swallow Yannis merganser. Marge, Cory and Brody say merganser. They got it. The correct answer is a merganzer. Briganzers are categorized as saw bill diving ducks, which are fittingly named after their slim, serrated bills. These specialized beaks help them catch and hold prey such as fish, crustaceans, and amphibians. Organzers are considered one of the worst tasting ducks a hunter can harvest. Brody gave a little hint and said they're delicious. How many organsers have you eaten?
Speaker 7: None?
Speaker 6: Jannist I used to work for a fly fishing outfitter that just hated these things, just wanted to kill them all.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that us trout? Oh yeah, I bet.
Speaker 3: I think the very first float trip for fishing, maybe ever float trip, and the very first duck I ever shot was a combo for uh uh and it.
Speaker 2: Ended up being a hooded merganser Colorado. Oh yeah, we tried, uh huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had my wife's uncle. He was duck hunting. Did not intend to shoot her, did Merganza. But he shot once then he got it mounted.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I was going to get a duck mounted.
Speaker 2: They're pretty Yeah, there's all three types on their bill.
Speaker 10: That would have been a good one for part of my plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, organser. What makes them taste so bad their diet? Just because they eat a lot of Brody's little trout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm reading a book right now where the author ate a loon and he said the worst thing he'd ever eaten was merganser, But a loon was ten times worse.
Speaker 7: Than that.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, darker and even fishier. See a lot of LUNs here this time of year in Montana.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question five The topic is cooking. This culinary technique is defined as quote quickly cooking food and boiling water, then dunking it in ice water to stop the cooking process. Oh dang it.
Speaker 3: This was one of my questions for my upcoming episode.
Speaker 2: This culinary technique is defined as quickly cooking food and boiling water, then dunking it in ice water to stop the cooking process. This may be a one hundred percenter. The room looks optimistic. Quickly cooking food and boiling water, then dunking it in ice water to stop the cooking process.
Speaker 4: The word food is throwing me off. Everything else.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Roman and Jannis and Marge. The whole room says blanching. The whole room got it right. The correct answer is blanching. Blanching is most commonly done prior to freezing vegetables. Blanching also helps remove the skin of tomatoes and peaches, a step you might use before making salsa or pie. To learn about this process, check out our article on the mediat dot com called how to prepare your garden's harvest for winter storage.
Speaker 7: You got to do that with crabs and shrimp too.
Speaker 2: You blanch them every time.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean I thought we do shrip cocktail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you blanch some stuff from your garden this year. I'm gonna be getting too.
Speaker 6: That from my garden yet is a few strawberries and some radishes. It's like early summer, man, right, are.
Speaker 2: You going to have to blanch later this year?
Speaker 7: Now we just eat the stuff like, well, we'll save.
Speaker 6: Some tomatoes, preserve some tomatoes.
Speaker 2: But that's it. Fell We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's not good.
Speaker 11: Pretty close game. Last place got roam with one and the rest of the players are right in line with the Shelby index. We've got Seth, Corey, Brody, and Jannis all tied up with three points at halftime.
Speaker 2: All right, Question six. The topic is conservation. This next great question is via Josh Perry. The wolf Center defines this nine letter word as quote when scientists place devices on wild animals to track their movements and behaviors.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: The wolf Center defines this nine letter word as when scientists place devices on wild animals to track their movements and behaviors. The room appears to be stumped after having a one hundred percenter on question five. Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I got a nine letter word? Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Corey, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Fifty?
Speaker 2: The wolf Center defines this nine letter word as when scientists place the devices on wild animals to track their movements and behaviors.
Speaker 8: Maybe sixty forty?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, he's growing more confident. Show your wifeboard to Brody see what he thinks of it. Yeah, buddy, okay, they are in agreement. Seth, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know where they're both right or both wrong in between?
Speaker 2: When scientists place devices on wild animals to track their movements and behaviors. J honest looks stumped down there. He did not have this question for his next time hosting How you doing, Yanni?
Speaker 7: Honestly, Jannis always does this and then comes up with that.
Speaker 9: I honestly don't exactly know what the word is. That I what it means the word I put down? Oh okay, well I've heard before, you know.
Speaker 2: The Wolf Center defines this nine letter word is when scientists places devices on wild animals to track their movements and behaviors.
Speaker 3: I ran it down the same word three times, and every time. It's ten letters.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, just lose one of them.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, maybe you're selling that's what I do. Maybe you're just spelling it wrong.
Speaker 9: Yeah, drop the e.
Speaker 3: That's a good good point.
Speaker 1: Drop the e used to t some.
Speaker 3: It's slaying everybody. Ready, I need some I need some space in my brain.
Speaker 2: What do you currently fill that space with? Right now? It's all this chitter chat? I need some space to come up with the answer. Marge, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 10: I just added iron.
Speaker 3: G Yeah, I guess I do.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying telemetry. Roman says analyzing, be honest. Without an answer, Marge says coloring, corny collaring, Brody collaring. The correct answer is telemetry, right, you're joking waiting for the punchline. No, it's telemetry. This this is what the wolf Center defines that nine letter word as well.
Speaker 1: I could define collaring that way.
Speaker 2: Too, buddy, Well, the wolf Center is not. As we learned on a previous episode of Trivia, technology used to track Sputnik is what birth the science of wildlife telemetry. This GPS research has been used across the animal kingdom from Wales to butterflies. Question seven.
Speaker 3: I'm like, there's no way it's telementary because who the hell has done that in the last twenty years since the GPS.
Speaker 2: Still used today.
Speaker 7: That true is GPS and there's GPS.
Speaker 2: Huh GPS Question seven? The topic is natural history. This man who was coloring, though, this man who was America's secretary of state negotiated the deal to purchase Alaska from Russia. Some this man who was America's secretary of state negotiated the deal to purchase Alaska from Russia.
Speaker 9: It wasn't Mike Lee because he'd want to sell right, good one Brody has I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 2: Brody can tell you if he likes this man who was America's secretary of state negotiated the deal to purchase Alaska. Brody just did.
Speaker 3: Do you guys know what the I think it's called valsalva. Do you guys know what that salsalva maneuver? It's something I learned about when I was having those the heart palpitations things more often. And it's basically a way that you like just like scrunch down your body and like create pressure to like kind of reset your heart, so that quit's doing it. I think Brody just did that exercise the valsalva maneuver to push that answer into it.
Speaker 2: To actually all try it. Did you? Is that something you did?
Speaker 4: Yanni? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I tried it, but then I later learned that it didn't. It doesn't really work for the kind of issue I was dealing with.
Speaker 2: Again, this is question seven the top. It's natural history. There are five blank whiteboards, and then Brody, who thinks he.
Speaker 1: Has to give everyone a hint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this man who was America's secretary of state negotiated the deal to purchase America.
Speaker 1: What's the score, phil Well?
Speaker 2: I think Seth has a one point lead on you, and last name, last name is good enough. These will be Jeopardy rules for this one. This man who was America's secretary of state negotiated to purchase from Russia. He flashed his whiteboard to brilliant his head.
Speaker 7: No, it's someone's folly.
Speaker 4: Wow, Chester will that helped me?
Speaker 6: The purchase of Alaska was someone's BOLLI there is a hint from Brody.
Speaker 2: The answer is not.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get it wrong, but I think I'm right.
Speaker 2: There was an episode of ice Fishing that was named Chester's folly.
Speaker 1: Not Chester. He didn't buy Alaska.
Speaker 2: What was the folly on that trip? What was the issues? Too cold?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he should have pulled the plug and we should have not gone.
Speaker 2: How many fish were caught?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. We I mean, we caught quite a few perch, but just just everything broke. Yeah, it was Yeah, it was rough fifty. It's tough to ice fishing.
Speaker 7: That stuff that'll turn you off ice fishing forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Brody is handed out a hint that it was someone's folly, and it did not help anybody in the room. But I bet there's listeners who have come up with the answer for sure. Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers and have seth without an answer. Roman says Smith, you're honest, Hancock, Marge without an answer. Corey says Hoover. Brody says Seaward. He got the answer, Seward. That's William Seward, which is Seward's folly. At two cents per acre, which came out to seven point two million dollars. America acquired Alaska in eighteen sixty seven. Opponents of the purchase gave it the nickname Sewards. Folly and Seward's ice box. About thirty years later, even his harshest critics changed their tune when the Klondike Gold Rush began in eighteen ninety six. Today there's a town, Peninsula Highway, and multiple schools in Alaska that carry his name. Question eight, The topic is fishing. Angler sometimes mimic the larval stage of a Dobson fly, which goes by this ungodly name. Brody quick to answer again. Angler sometimes milled the larval stage of a Dobson fly, which goes by this ungodly name. Again, Brody has an answer five other whiteboards in the room. I do not have an answer this question one. Okay, you want to hand out any hints to this time? Did his generosity for this episode? Angler sometimes mimic the larval stage of a Dobson fly, which goes by this ungodly name.
Speaker 8: H when you say ungodly, it's gross to say it, but.
Speaker 2: Not going to give you any hints.
Speaker 6: No more hints, buddy, Do you have this one right?
Speaker 7: The ungodly name gave me an answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, I hope it's right. We'll see yep. Now, the last time those two agreed, you did not have the right, Yanni, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: No, not yet.
Speaker 2: Anglers sometimes mimic the larval stage of this dobs.
Speaker 1: But I think you just gave Oh yeah, man, we'll talk more.
Speaker 5: I mean, I see him all the time.
Speaker 1: Really, you don't got him out here?
Speaker 4: You don't see him all the time.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Not here.
Speaker 2: West of Yann. He's really studying this conversation. Buddy thinks he has Okay, do you have an answer?
Speaker 4: Set?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay? And has it? Is it an ungodly name?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Maybe Brody and I are wrong, maybe.
Speaker 2: But Yanni is really squinty.
Speaker 4: I think I think Brody and I are on the same page.
Speaker 2: Be honest, anything coming to you? No, m hm must not have been much of a fishing guide.
Speaker 1: Huh well he wanted.
Speaker 2: No, he wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's a Pennsylvania but.
Speaker 1: The Mighty River they got him there.
Speaker 4: You want to.
Speaker 2: Marge, do you have an answer? Let's go right, everybody ready, go ahead and reveal answersite Roman without an answer, Giannis says hex. Marge says sex dungeons very good, wrong but ungodly. Corey says hell gramite. Brody says, hell gramite. They got it. The correct answer is hellgramite and the spelling is h E L L g R A M M I T E helgramite. Helgramites are a universal fish food, getting eaten by trout, bass, catfish, panfish, and more. The most popular way to imitate one is with a wooly bugger fly. But if you want to use the real thing, then check out our article on the medeater dot com called Creepy Crawlers how to catch and fish with Helgramites.
Speaker 1: They'll draw blood.
Speaker 2: Man, they got some big old pinchers of them. So what's what do you do? Familiarity with hellgermites? We used to use them for bait for some Pennsylvania Corey, where do you think you've seen helgramites that? Brody disagrees with.
Speaker 4: You on I just looked it up.
Speaker 2: I was way off, but as an angler, I knew all about this. Uh huh, good on you, Bill. Let's get a scoreboard update. We have two questions left.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 11: We are Romans still has his point, he's holding on to it. Maggie has two, Jannis has three, Corey has four, and tied up in first place are Brody Henderson and Seth Morris with fow anglers.
Speaker 2: And all the fishing questions should be done for now. They are Question nine. The topic is hunting. Who wrote the nineteen seventy three turkey hunting book tenth Legion?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Get out? Who wrote the nineteen seventy three turkey hunting book tenth Legion? Brody quick to answer. Seth has now joined him. Corey, Do you have a chance at this?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, Okay? Who's read this book in here? Okay? Yanni?
Speaker 4: Seth?
Speaker 2: No, I read Part I already, Yanni, you have this one right then?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 2: Who wrote the nineteen seventy three turkey hunting book?
Speaker 3: So I'm not going to be able to take him down.
Speaker 5: Today Monday's Meat Eater podcast, if you haven't listened to it yet, did they talk about this?
Speaker 2: H we had Will Primos talked about this specific book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was in the room.
Speaker 2: Did they say his name? You were when you saw the answer? Did you remember that name from the podcast?
Speaker 11: I actually own a copy of this book. That's the reason, and I've never read it.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 8: But yeah.
Speaker 11: Also, yeah, he was at an NWTF one year too, which is very funny. Just sitting like him, just sitting behind a desk, like citing copies and stuff.
Speaker 2: Who wrote the nineteen seventy three turkey hunting book Tenth Legion?
Speaker 3: Because everybody, it's not just for some reason, it's because you're an aspiring turkey hunter. And Ben O'Brien gifted you that to help you, you know, to inspire.
Speaker 2: Ben had him on the podcast. I feel like at one.
Speaker 8: Time, yeah, I think that was before my time, but yeah.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have sat saying Tom Kelly, Roman without an answer. Janna says Colonel Tom Kelly, Marge without an answer. Corey says Knox. Brody says Tom Kelly.
Speaker 4: They got it.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Tom Kelly. Tom Kelly's website has declared it the Bible of Wild Turkey Hunting. The name of the book is from Colonel Kelly's comparison of turkey hunting to Caesar's Tenth Legion in his analogy. He says both groups have a cult like obsession and common goal. Phel Before question ten, give us a final scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: It's down to Seth and Brody. They're still tied up at six points.
Speaker 6: Who's never happened question For the last question, the topic is gear.
Speaker 2: Damn. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Brad Hankins. We're sending this great question. Brad is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the week, then send your question to Trivia at themeedeater dot com.
Speaker 9: I'm rooting for you, Seth. Thanks you the last time you had to win. I don't even know it's been so in a long time.
Speaker 4: Maybe the old office.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, that was that was twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Then maybe here I have no clue. All right, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Leastion ten. The topic is gear. This is for all the marbles. Colombia, Pendleton, Keene, Danner, bench Made, Leatherman, Gerber, and Louipold are all headquartered in this state. Seth quick to answer, Brody taking his time. Oh this isn't It's gonna be a uh what do they call it?
Speaker 4: Tiebreaker?
Speaker 2: Colombia, Timebreaker, Danner, bench Made, Leatherman, Gerber, and Louipold are all headquartered in this state.
Speaker 4: I definitely have it down to two.
Speaker 2: Okay. Marge and Yanni agree on what the state is.
Speaker 10: And I'm pretty sure maybe the first one no longer is there potentially, or maybe they moved it from the capital of the state due to some conflicts.
Speaker 2: Brody, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 7: Ninety nine point oh it's a conflict.
Speaker 2: Nine okay, give it away. Core Are you gonna come up with an answer? Columbia, Pendleton, Bench Made, Leipold one out of one.
Speaker 3: I think you should have at least a one out of forty nine forty eight chance.
Speaker 7: I mean, go ahead, write another one down.
Speaker 2: Marg Marge declared it a bad guess for the story.
Speaker 4: There's no helger mites there.
Speaker 1: Either.
Speaker 2: Probably give us, give us another making a third swap.
Speaker 10: Maybe go the other direction, the other direction.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have set saying Organ Roman says Organ Yannis Oregon, Marge Oregon, Corey Washington, and Brody Oregon. The correct answer is Oregon. That means we're gonna go to overtime between Brody and Wonderful. All of those brands are headquartered in Portland, besides Bench Made, which is in Oregon City, and Louipold, which is in Beaverton. Portland considers themselves quote the world's epicenter for peril and outdoor gear companies. They claim to have the largest concentration of outdoor brands in America besides Bozeman. Tell us about your answers, Corey, what were the two states you arrived at the start.
Speaker 5: With Kentucky and that got laughed at, and I threw out Pennsylvania just because the jumped on it, and that got laughed at.
Speaker 4: Did you go yeah? Did you go to Kentucky because of Penalton?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I just we are headed to overtime, played the drop fill.
Speaker 11: I they just cut it at if you ain't first your laugh and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I never liked it a Phil cough Man.
Speaker 2: The tie breaking topic is conservation. This tie breaking question is via Jesse Patterson. This will be a numerical questions. Whoever is closest between Brody and Seth will be declared the winner, but the other four players will also come up with an answer, because if somebody gets it right on the nose, meat Eater will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. How many states have a national grassland? How many states have a national grassland. Seth has a blank whiteboard, while it appears that Brody is making a list. Two different strategies unfolding in front of us. How many states have a national Grassland?
Speaker 4: I have no clue. Okay, so it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be a guess between one and fifty mm hmmm, Johann, it's also making a list now, No, no list one number? How many states have a national Grassland? I think this is back to back weeks of tie breakers after having like a three month strench earlier this year without a tiebreaker. It's rain and overtime around these days. Hmmm.
Speaker 3: I was hoping for a little bit of a closer game on Sunday Sunday night, m hm than half a field.
Speaker 4: Yess?
Speaker 2: Where do they rank among your favorite teams? Number two? You know if you've made me, made me choose and put them in a Bucks number one?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: Why, I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, because I was born in Indianapolis. Number one? Then yeah, so they'd be number one.
Speaker 10: You gotta love the Pistons.
Speaker 2: I'll take time to be.
Speaker 4: One of the Are you a Bucks fan?
Speaker 2: No, he's a Bucks fan, the honest.
Speaker 9: I saw buck sweatshirt at Goodwill the other day. M and I was gonna buy it, but I couldn't remember who who the fan was a spencer.
Speaker 10: I got to I forgot to tell you. I got to go tour behind the scenes of the Timberwolves training facility because my friend's friend is the chefs. I got to go behind scenes all the cool stuff.
Speaker 2: But good Will is no longer goodwill?
Speaker 3: Or were you somewhere else?
Speaker 2: No, it was good there's a good Will and we went from two to one. What was the coolest thing you saw their march?
Speaker 10: It was the way they can tell It's like all this camera equipment around the basket, looking down just at the basket, and how accurate the ball is, like touching with inside the rim. And I took a video of it, and they're like, you can't share that anywhere, So I did.
Speaker 2: Does everyone have an answer for how many stays have a National Grassland? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Romans saying seven, Gianna says one, Marge says thirteen, Cory says six, and our two players remaining. We have Seth saying nine and Brody sang four. The correct answer is twelve, giving Seth whoa and Marge is only one off. Those twelve states are California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, South Dakota, and Wyoming. Twelve states have a national grassland. All right, Seth? What are you can do with your five hundred dollars today?
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't even think about it, but because I usually never get to this point.
Speaker 9: But uh, well, with all his public land stuff going on and Mike Lee being a meathead, let's go bha.
Speaker 2: That's too nice of a way to describe him. Yeah, he's a dickhead about that. Yeah, family, five hundred dollars going to b h a via, Seth. Well done, Seth. Gotta feel good right right. It's a very exciting trip, have funny, life changing, life changing next week for more meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 2: He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones.
Speaker 1: He lays them questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur Lockow