Speaker 1: Welcome. In Thursday edition Clay Travis Buck Sexton Show, I am live at a minor league baseball stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee. Buck, there is no minor league baseball game going on. There would seem to be no reason whatsoever why three different guys with leaf blowers would need to be on a field with zero leaves. But as I set down to begin this broadcast, my eternal nemesis people with leaf blowers are maybe they're doing this just because they knew I was gonna be broadcasting here. There are three different guys with leaf blowers walking around out on the field and there are no leaves, and they're all blasting their leaf blowers as loud as they possibly can. So if you hear that in the background, hopefully at some point there gasoline will run out in their leaf blowers. But I'm excited to be here. I'm gonna be doing a speech right after. It's gonna be fun. Obviously, Knoxville is an awesome place. We've got a big audience all over the place, but a lot of people up here are fans, and so we're having a good time. Buck. Today, huge numbers of our audience will be watching something that you had no idea was going on until I'm about to say it. Right now, the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin is underway. I will be watching this tonight along with probably twenty million or so other people, many of whom are listening to us right now. I believe Green Bay is one of our newest affiliates, if I'm not mistaken. So we appreciate all of you up there in Cheddarland. We were already very popular in the state of Wisconsin, and we've had a lot of awesome friends that we've made in that state over the past several years. But that should be an awesome scene now, a bunch of different stories that are out there. Let me give you a little bit of a roadmap of where we're headed. Dana Perino, who for my money, may be the nicest person in all of media. That is the standard that I think she might well be able to win. It's a tough standard. There are a lot of super nice people, but Dana Perino, who many of you watch at America's newsroom every day on Fox News with Bill h Or, will be on with us at one and then I think this is going to be incredible. I'm super excited for this. Doctor Larry arn the president of Hillsdale College. They had a fabulous interview with him in the Saturday Sunday edition, the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal. And there's been so much discussion about Harvard suing the Trump administration over what the Trump administration is focused on there, and they actually have a really good argument that is Hillsdale and Larry are due. They said, Hey, the reason we don't take federal dollars is because we want complete independence. When you take taxpayer money, you are giving up complete independence. Why can't Harvard, with a fifty three billion dollar endowment just say thanks, but no thanks US federal government. We're concerned about our ability to have complete freedom when it comes to teaching as we see fit and running the university as we see fit. Well, the President is quite clear when you are allowing federal tax dollars to be used, you don't get that complete freedom. We'll dive into that with him. I think you guys are really going to enjoy it. But Buck, yesterday, I got a lot of feedback from moms and dads out there who were listening to us talk about the books that were being read in Montgomery County schools, and honestly, even I was, I knew that there were like kind of edgy books that were being pushed. I went back after we talked yesterday, book Buck and looked at these books even more. The fact that this has gone all the way to the Supreme Court, that parents would be saying, hey, we need to object to what are being read to our five year olds and our six year olds at story time is I think emblematic of the country just losing its way. And not only that, I went back and read more and studied on the Supreme Court discussion surrounding this case, and I couldn't stop focusing Buck on Katanji Brown Jackson and the arrogance. We may end up with a couple of cuts from her the questions that she asked she her defense of these books being read to five year olds that tell you, hey, if you believe you're a boy and you're a girl, you're right and your parents should treat you that way. And sometimes we end up in situations where people get the gender wrong, meaning when you are born, a doctor in the nursing room, in the delivery room is unclear of whether you're a boy or a girl. This is what's being read to them. Kataji Brown Jackson said, well, if you don't like it, you should just switch schools. This was her actual take. Listen to this, I.
Speaker 2: Guess I'm struggling to see how it burdens a parent's religious exercise. If the school teaches something that the parent disagrees with, you have a choice. You don't have to send your kid to that school. You can put them in another situation.
Speaker 1: This is one of the most arrogant things I have seen, argued. I would bet ninety five percent of the people that are listening to us right now don't have great options when it comes to just pulling your kid out of your local public school. And so for her defense of this buck to be well, if you don't like it, you should just go to a new school. First of all, they oppose school choice by and large. But second, it's one of the most arrogant arguments I have heard, that you should just change your public school. Of course, and what you see here is the continuation of this argument from the left that they aren't doing indoctrination and in a sense, a secular religious training with all this transgender delusional nonsense. Right, they've managed to try to kick God and faith out of public schools and replace it with this Marxist credo of insanity. And this is why they push the stuff that they do as hard as they do. This is the big question I think, Clay, we kept returning to yesterday. Why is this so important to them? It's clearly very important, so much so that they are willing to look at parents, well, sometimes look at parents in the eyes and say, yes, your kid needs to learn that doctors get the gender wrong at birth, like we think your kids need to be read that in schools. It is completely nuts. But it also goes to one of the great things I think about the Trump administration right now and one of the reasons why the left hates it so much. And the more they despise either a person or a policy, the more important I think we all recognize it to be. And that is, Clay, the forever regime, which is what the Democrats had set up for really, certainly the last twenty years or so, the forever regime of the deep state, people within the federal bureaucracy who are pushing in left wing agenda. The universities which have become completely political monocultures of left wing madness, media. All these things together allow them to assert control at different levels of society even if they lose an election. Trump is going after that, and I think it's critical that we see that for what it is. He is going into the kitchen of the enemy and saying you don't get to just cook whatever you want and call the shots anymore. And that's really shaking them up. That's beyond just what is Congress going to do? What executive orders are out there. So I think that we're seeing, finally after many years of saying, when are we going to take on the universities, When are we going to start to enforce civil rights law in a way that is advantage, let's just be honest, advantaging conservative and Republican and right wing points of view. This has been a long time coming, and I think it's fantastic. And I think that the fact that they're still trying to push this transgender nonsense on the kids in school just shows you how completely bonkers they are, unrepentantly nuts. What I said yesterday, Claiy, I sorry, I know I'm ranty, hear, but what I said yesterday, if they could force your kids to learn this stuff or else they would do so and we all know it, meaning that they would mandate this stuff if they could get away with it nation I'm talking nationwide, not just in one school district. Have you ever been to a elementary school in read books to kids new in the dad game? So it would not surprise me if you haven't. I volunteered at an underserved DC public school in a program a few times too. But I would think they were like ninth graders. I would hopefully you weren't reading books to them, but which would be very funny. But so I have helped. I was helping. It was like a homework help program. I was just trying to think of this. Yeah, I have been to multiple schools over the years, and I bet a lot of you with young kids, grandparents maybe as well, have been and gotten to sit in front of the kids and read books. And my recollection is that when I've done it, the teacher and the teachers have all been fantastic, have said, hey, we've got two or three books that you can choose from. If I brought a book like that in, if they had said, hey, Clay, you know you're reading for kindergarteners today. You can pick any book. I would see that as a direct attack in some way on the school district and on the kids. If I walked in with those books that we were talking about yesterday and tried to sit down and read it, not only would it be inappropriate wildly, but it would actually to me be an assault on the school itself and on those kids, because there are ages. And this is why I think it's a wild book. This case brings together Muslim, Jewish and Christian parents who said this is unacceptable. And I think everybody out there five six, seven year old kids, eight year old, what are you doing teaching gender ideology? To them? It's actually sinister and it's nasty, and to me, it's diabolical. I mean, this is close to evil. And what you see. What you see is that they, and this has always been true of a lot of this gender cult stuff, they want as many people as possible to be subjected to it and involved in it, because then you've been a part of the process. This is one of the things that you saw also with COVID. I might just add they wanted you to police your neighbors. They wanted you to be shouting at people to mask up. They wanted you to be one of the useful idiots in that process, because then you're invested in the perpetuation of that system. Any adult, any teacher, anyone who shows up at one of these meetings in defense of this stuff is going to be very hard, and especially if it's a parent who has pushed for this for their children, very hard to get them to see the light and understand how bad this is down the line. So they want to push it as fast as they can, as aggressively as the head because it's building the roster, if you will. It's like forcing recruits onto their side, which is obviously at the heart of what they're doing with these kids as well. But it is essentially a secular I mean, a secular religion of sorts is what they are pushing. I mean, here's another experiment. You could go on Clay. What if you said, okay, fun, we're you know, I'm okay with my school district greeting this stuff. But also we're going to have some conservative children's books in there that say that boys are boys and girls are girls, and people that have, you know, problems in their head should go see adults and speak to them about it and not expect everybody to cater to them. Would that be okay? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And look, there are so many amazing kids books that you can chew. It's not as if there aren't six hundred one thousand Newberry I think is the award winning children's books. It's actually I would imagine for a lot of you who have been elementary school kids tough I mean teachers to pick. If I ask you right now, what are books that you just have a you have a fond memory of from your I'm talking your childhood too. I'm talking third I remember, I remember all the way back to the Very Hungry Caterpillar. Some of you probably remember that one class James and the Giant Peach, where the wild things are, the wind in the willows, the hobbit. I mean, you go back, you think about that, Clay like, I mean, you could do the same thing, right. You go back, you think, oh, well, you're talking about being what an eight year old? So we're going back almost almost uh what forty you know, thirty forty years and you remember those books. That's the kind of influence they had on your thinking at that time in those formative years. The Communists know this. This is their little this is their little red book of gender madness that they're making teachers and kids hold up and pledge allegiance to in these schools. And that's why Catangi Brown Jackson is she'll make any argument to keep this stuff, any argument. I want to say one positive thing. I mentioned this yesterday, and I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with it. One of the greatest things that I've ever seen a celebrity do. Dolly Parton has something called the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. I'm not sure if it's only available to kids in Tennessee right now, but they will send your kids free books, you know, little engine that could. We were signed up for this for our kids and they were so excited to do it. Dolly Parton did it Buck because she grew up in rural East Tennessee and didn't have access to kids books. I mean, they're fabulous. She's given buck two hundred and seventy seven million books to kids to be able to experience reading that otherwise might not that their parents could read for them. As we remember, this is why Dolly Parton is the Queen Elizabeth of the Smoky Mountains. She is amazing buck and I want to say something positive associated with this, So I think it's available all over the United States imaginationlibrary dot Com. If you're a kid, if you've got grandkids, if you've got kids, or if you want to donate. I don't know anybody yet Imagination Library. I'm just telling you that they have done amazing work. And on the positive side, there are people trying to get uplifting normal books in the hands of kids to help them have hopefully a lifelong love of reading, which both you and I would agree is probably the best gift that a parent can give a child because it works across the board. Look in times of adversity, really, when you find out who your friends are, people in Israel know they can count on most Americans. Your ongoing support for the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews prove positive of that. Anything but normal right now in Israel, I saw it with myself. The amount of bomb shelters that are needed, the amount of first responders who need armored security vehicles, ambulances believable in the wake of October seventh, how much help they need, and how many of you out there, Christians and Jews have come together to take a stand with Israel. You can call to make your gift to those in the Holy Land at eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ. That's eight eight eight four eight eight four three two five. You can also go online to SUPPORTIFCJ dot org to give that website support IFCJ dot org.
Speaker 3: Making America great Again isn't just one man, It's many. The Team forty seven podcast Sunday's at noon Eastern in the Clay and Buck podcast feed. Find it on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Welcome in Clay Travis Buck Sexton Show. Appreciate all of you hanging out with us. I'm in Knoxville, Bucks down in Miami. We are having a fabulous Thursday with all of you. Encourage you to go subscribe to the podcast. If you haven't already, you can search out my name Clay Travis. You can search out Buck Sexton. Also, you can download the iHeartRadio app. That a guy on Monday at the CIA World Congress of Sport at the bar, I was getting a beer and he pulled it up and he said, hey, I've listened on the iHeartRadio app. He was from Chicago, probably listening right now. Appreciate him into sports marketing universe and a lot of you out there listening on podcasts, five hundred and fifty plus AM FM stations and also on so many different ways including the iHeartRadio app. And we bring in now doctor Larry Arn of Hillsdale College, and speaking of ways to get your message out, Hillsdale has been phenomenal at getting the message out about everything that they are doing. And I had a good fortune to get to sit next to doctor Larry Arn at a Seattle, Washington area Hillsdale College event and I read over the weekend a great weekend interview with you, doctor Arn. Given all the controversy surrounding Harvard and federal funding of universities and colleges out there, you had a really good argument. I want to let you make it for our audience. The reason Hillsdale doesn't take federal dollars is to be completely independent. Harvard has fifty three billion dollars in the endowment. Why can't Harvard just say, hey, we don't need any of this federal government money. We want to instruct in the best way that Harvard feels possible. That seems like a pretty good case to me. And you guys have done it at Hillsdale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you very much. You're a sports gun. I really enjoyed talking to you that I didn't enjoyed your speech very much. Yeah. So we live in what we think of as a liberal society. That means free, That means a lot of things have to go on in the society so that it can control the government. And if the government in detail manages education, including higher education, then the society loses its independence. And you know Harvard, which gets a lot of money from the government, I mean billions, they are living under hundreds of pages of detailed rules and they probably be better off of that them. But now they've met some rules they don't like. I don't scream, don't let the students scream dirty two at each other, and they are rebelling about that, and that's you know, they're in an interesting spot, aren't they.
Speaker 1: They're not the only ones either, doctor, I appreciate you being with us. There are a number of schools Columbia University, I could rattle off a few more if I thought about it, but some pretty big name educational institutions out there that have gotten on the wrong side of the Trump administration and therefore the federal government on some of these issues. Do you think that their plan is to just try to batten down the hatches and ride it out and keep doing what they've been doing, Because in the case of admissions, for example, a Supreme Court has been quite clear that some of these institutions have been engaged in unconstitutional discrimination in their educational practice and admissions practices, and yet the understanding seems to be they're just going to keep doing it and get federal dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's something really bad about that. I mean, first of all, these the institutions we're talking about are some of the greatest universities in the world. Harvard is the oldest in our country, and it has been a treasure for a very long time, and it's still a very elite place. But they got wedded to the idea that what color you are is some vital characteristic in your qualification to be a student. And that's just wrong. I mean, it's bad philosophy. It undercuts the whole understanding of the academic task, and as you point out, it's unconstitutional in a nation devoted to all men are created equal. So there's you know there, and they are stubborn about it. It's deeply ingrained. It was amazing to me a year ago in the spring that they were having these demonstrations in favor of Hamas and you know, River to the Sea, and they were oppressing Jewish kids, I mean, abusing them and spitting on them, and some of them were assaulted physically, and they were certainly terrorized and they couldn't stop it. And in Columbia they suspended class. At Harvard there were major disruptions, and I thought, at some point, these places are run by people who are in broad agreement with each other. At some point you'd think they'd say, this is embarrassing. We should go back to class. That's what we're here to do. And they couldn't do it, and that's just you know, sad. It was. It made me sad, also surprised. And you know, they've they've got some problems. Now they are addressing those problems, they say, and I sometimes doubt their capacity to do that. And the Trump administration is demanding certain monitoring of them, and that's what they're kicking about and rebelling, and the Harvard is to the government, and it's going to be a big legal fight, and you know, but think of the outcome if they win. It would mean that they're entitled to the money that you can't stop it on the ground that they are discriminating and oppressing people because of their race and religion, and you know, and the government may not monitor that well. At the beginning of the show, you said, what I think is the actual solution. We need to decentralize very many things in America. There's way too many rules coming from the top and making a uniform administrative system all over every kind of industry all over the place. And colleges should be funded in a wide diversity of ways. You know, there's like really rich people in America, and you know, a lot of them give money to Harvard and a lot don't. Well, the thing is those rich people disagree with each other. And so if it's the government, it's a uniform rule for everybody, and you have to have that some but you don't have to have that so comprehensively, and especially affecting something sensitive like education, which is you know where what college is actually for is for young people to go and go into excellent human beings and intellect and character, and the definition of that is human, and that means Jews and Arabs should both aim for that, and the institutions of higher education should have practices and standards so that everybody pursues that and does it together. The word college means partnership. So they've lost their way in my opinion, and I hope they find it, but they're fighting very hard not to do it.
Speaker 1: Not to do it, Doctor Larry Arne with us right now. If Hillsdale College fabulous school, got kids out there, not a bad place to consider applying. I'm in Knoxville, Tennessee, right now, doctor Arne. Basically I can see the University of Tennessee campus nearly from where I'm broadcasting. I'm curious how you would analyze this in your career as an educator. It used to be that people look down on big state schools in the South Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, whatever school you want to use in the Southeastern Conference region. Now I hear all the time, and I bet you do as well. For Hillsdale applications. People in New York, LA Chicago who would have said in the past, Oh, I would never send my school, my son or daughter to the University of Alabama or the University of Mississippi bragging about their kids going to SEC schools because what you just referenced, these protests, they didn't stand for them in the South. They didn't stand for a tacking Jewish people. In the wake of October seventh, what does it say about the cultural shift in our landscape that big state schools in the South are suddenly desirable across the country and small schools like yours in Michigan that are independent and classically committed to education are surging in popularity, while places like Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Stanford that maybe in the past have been the absolute paragonds of academic achievement seem to be declining. What does that tell us?
Speaker 4: And that's something and you know that has to do with the politics of those states. You know, Hills Dealth the special case because we don't take anybody from the government, and we're old and committed to certain things that we've been committed to for one hundred and eighty two years. But those you know in the state like Tennessee or Arkansas. I'm from Arkansas, you know, the government and several state legislatures, including in Tennessee, have set up centers in those places where friends of mine are teaching now and they, you know, make sure they're sane. But the general climate of those places is not.
Speaker 2: So what.
Speaker 4: The most elite places in America and that it's not just in higher end. It's the Ivy League, but it's journalism, it's the government, it's big corporations. They look at the world as sort of an engineering project, and we're going to remake the world. And so they don't, you know, they've they've got very unusual views about a family and sex. And it turns out that what's going on in America is that's not working with lots of people like you know why you know, we we we you know. I think people want to get married and have kids because it makes your life richer and it's cool and it's hard. But if you do that, what do you think about the kids? What do you want them to become? They are produced by a relationship and a sacrifice that parents make for decades, and so they don't want their kids sex changed without their permission. They don't want their kids taught that human nature is just a convention and we can re engineer it.
Speaker 1: And so there's doctor Arc. Can I just jump in really quickly to ask, because this is what I was going to take you anyway, you're talking about the kids and what they're being taught. I'm sure you saw the arguments before the Supreme Court. We were talking about it on the show What is going on in education? Where they want to read these very explicit and very trans agenda focused books to very small children and this is widespread? Where what is this? Where does this come from?
Speaker 4: Well? It's you know, first of all, the intellectual roots of this movement are old, right, that's you know, they became explicit in nineteenth century German historicism, and they came into America through a movement called aggressivism that's still with us today. People use that word still today. But what did they think? What they thought was there isn't a thing like human nature. That word nature is a very interesting word and it means a lot of things, but it starts with the Latin word for birth, how we come to be and grow, and what we're like when we're grown. But now no, it's not that so much. Now what we have is the idea that we understand a historical process that is liberating us and changing everything. And because we have modern science, we can get control of the process and we can re engineer even ourselves. And so of course then the family has to be a target of that, and race is a target of that, and in some versions of it, you know, like the difference between Nazism and Communism is only one thing. Nazism is mostly about race. Munism is mostly about property and money. And the Nazism thinks if you've got the right genes, you're a superior being. And Communism thinks you are formed by what you do for a living and how you work. And if you've got a lot of money, you're in one class, and if you don't hear in another. And there's a and we have to transcend all that, we have to overcome private property. And what the Nazis think is, you know, if you've got the right blood, then you're superior. Now, what's interesting about both of those doctrines, because their materialist doctrines, what they do is upset that the idea that any human child can come to know things objectively. That's you know, and human freedom hinges on that argument, which is a classical argument and a religious argument. And all of the colleges, any college of any age, Hillsdale College, Harvard is the oldest one in America. They were all founded on that idea that there's something a spark in the human being that transcends his body, includes his body, and transcends his body, that makes it possible for him to learn objectively. And if that and see, what's interesting about discarding that argument is that you've discarded all the basis of reasoning. In other words, if the Nazis are right or the Communists, they can't have objective knowledge of anything, say, because they're own. They're just creatures of some material condition that drives them. And you know in those documents that those doctrines are very prevalent in the world. They have led to two great world wars. You know, tens of millions of people killed over them. So what you should do in a college is study them, understand them, and understand the all alternative, which is, you know, we study those things at Hillteale College, but also we study the classics, right, and and then you've become armed with a way to understand things to let you evaluate the world. And see, that's Another thing about these Ivy League colleges. I noticed in the last three year ago last spring that when they were demonstrating about hamas and anti Jews, they would interview these kids and they didn't really seem to know very much about it. You know, they've just got doctrine and they want their way right now. But aren't they really there to learn? Like it's you know, it's a very interesting question, which you know, turns out I work for a great history and who wrote about this? Do the Jews modern Israel have a right to the land on which it is? Well, first of all, that's a that's a history that goes back. You know, Israel was how to nineteen forty eight? How did that happen? Where did that come from? Who decided it? Right? In other words, there's a rich world of stuff to figure out about that, and I know, Dr Arn, they're doing it. Harvard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right about that. We have to go to a commercial break. I feel like we could just have you on talking for hours and it would be phenomenal. We need to have a longer form conversation at some point with you. In the meantime, if your kids are applying to colleges. I would suggest you could do way worse than Hillsdale. Sir. We appreciate the time, and I encourage people to go read that Wall Street Journal piece, which I thought really elucidated some very interesting and intelligent arguments as it pertains to academic freedom. Thank you, Doctor Arnold. Was great to spend time with you in Seattle.
Speaker 4: Thank you both.
Speaker 1: Look NFL draft. Pauk is fired up. You heard Dana Perino fired up, Doctor Larry arn He's a big sports fan. We had a great conversation in Seattle. If you're fired up and want to have some fun with the NHL, with the NBA, with Major League Baseball underway, heck, I'm sitting right now Minor League Baseball Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee, just off the University of Tennessee's campus. If you are a sports fan, you need to go get signed up right now pricepicks dot com code Clay. You get fifty bucks when you sign up, and whatever sport you love, you can play along with Rush loved sports. I know many of you out there are huge sports fans as well. All you have to do is go to pricepicks dot Com, put in the code Clay and you get fifty dollars when you play five dollars. You can play in California, you can play in Texas, you can play in Georgia. Do it today, pricepicks dot Com, Code Clay.
Speaker 3: News and politics, but also a little comic relief.
Speaker 1: Clay Travis and Buck Sexton.
Speaker 3: Find them on the free iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Welcome back into Clay and Buck. We've got the market doing pretty well today, which I think goes to some of the anxiety that the media is trying to create about the Trump economy. So that's one thing that I think we can at least take a moment here and look at. But Clay, you know the Trump there's other negotiations happening, not just on tariffs and the economy, but on Russia and Ukraine. Now there's some reporting that came out Senator Marker, I'm sorry. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said that the reporting is total trash, that they basically saying that they were willing to give all kinds of concessions to Russia, and they're trying to take a shot at the Trump team that is negotiating with Putin, there was some there were some major strikes rocket rocket attack against Kiev or Kiev we're supposed to say like different ways, right, but keev that have killed a number of people at Trump is ticked off about this. He has been sounding the well sounding not the alarm so much as just letting people know that letting Putin know this is unacceptable to him. But there's also frustration with the Zelenski side of thing, clay because there's reporting that Zelenski does not want to give up officially Crimea, which has been under Russian control and has been a part of a fully functioned part of the Russian Federation now for many years before this administration even came along. It goes goes back to the Obama administration. So here is Caroline Levit, White House Press Secretary, talking about this plate seventeen.
Speaker 5: In order to make a good deal, both sides have to walk away a little bit unhappy, and unfortunately President Zelensky has been trying to litigate this peace negotiation negotiation in the press, and that's unacceptable to the president. These should be closed door negotiations. The President's national security team, his advisors, has exuded significant time, energy and effort to try to bring this war to an end. The American taxpayer has funded billions of dollars in this effort, and enough is enough. The Presidence frustrated. His patience is running very thin. He wants to do what's right for the world. He wants to see peace, he wants to see the killing stop. But you need both sides of the war willing to do that, and unfortunately President Zelensky seems to be moving in the wrong drug.
Speaker 1: It's not looking great for the negotiations right now. Let's just say what's going on here, Clay. It's still early, but it's looking like this is there's a distance between the combatants on what a negotiation would look like. And Trump is getting frustrated with both sides. I think that's right. And here's what we told you. This is how this ends. There's gonna be a new line drawn. You can argue about it, however you want to argue about it. I failed to see at this point, and I would love to have Zelensky on. I'd love to have putin on what is the point of continuing to fight? We essentially have both sides dug in. The lines are not moving very much to the extent that they are moving. It is a slowly inch by inch, yard by yard style advancement from Russia. Ukraine has depleted significantly. One thing they decided to do Buck And I don't know that we've talked about it that much on the program, but based on the lessons of World War One and World War Two, they actually have tried to not take eighteen to twenty five year old men to fight, because when an eighteen to twenty five year old man dies, most of the time those men have not had kids yet. It's very sad to think about, but that wiped out entire generations of population in Europe because so many young men who had not become fathers were the first to be drafted. And Ukraine in some way is balancing that out by basically taking men twenty five to forty five, of which there are almost none left. And what is the play here? I really think that media need to be holding Vladimir Zolensky accountable here. And I don't mean because I think he's the bad guy in any way. I think Russia is the aggressor. We all know that. But what is Zolensky hoping for at this point? What are his strategic goals and ambitions. It doesn't seem to me like there are any buck I mean, can you even what is he trying to get. He's not going to get NATO, He's not going to get the return of the border that existed prior to Russia's invasion. What are his reachable goals at this point, now that tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of his fellow countrymen are dead. I just don't understand why the war's continuing. Well, I think that in his mind, the perpetuation of the war one means that he stays in power. Right, they have under the Ukrainian constitution, they cannot have elections during a war. We've heard this many times. This is why his declar martial law. And there's no way that anyone's gonna be able to take over from him while that's going on. So there's that incentive that I think has to be remembered as we're talking about what he seeks to have happened here and Clay, I think that there's just it's a little bit like the US and Afghanistan, to be honest with you, where the idea was if we just keep this going maybe things will get better, and that was not true in Afghanistan. That was not true. I was in Afghanistan in twenty ten. Talk about it a little bit in the book by the way, And what is the title of your book? By the way, what's the official title? Have you talked? Or title not official or still title not official yet? We're still there's a couple of things that are getting in place, but it will be It's very It is definitely very. It's a different vibe than balls. This is gonna be very. Clay and I may have books coming out roughly around the same time, and Clay's is going to be like very was it was. He's gonna be a lot of fun and it's gonna be very kind of in mind. Is gonna be like a guy with a tweet jacket on and you know a pipe pipe, you got the you got the uh, what's the elbow pads on the tweet jacket? Two? So we're going in different directions here on. So that that's good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But look, I think I think that what you have with Afghanistan was a plan that was never going to get better, but nobody wanted to be the one that stopped it. Nobody wanted to be the one that said, you know what, everything that came before this didn't get us to where we want to be. It becomes very deeply psychologically ingrained. Right, well, if we just keep fighting, maybe there'll be a better day ahead. So why don't we just keep fighting? I think that's where Zelenski is on this. And now you could say, rationally, in what world? The only one that I can see is if the United States and NATO actually get drawn into the conflict in some way, which is what we are trying to avoid at all costs. Right, But he can't say that publicly, right, He can't say that. He can't say, well, if you you guys create a protectorate of Ukraine against Russia, then we'll get a better deal. I don't see how militarily, though, there's any option for him other than that that puts him in a better spot. I agree, And it feels to me like maybe we're headed towards some perpetually unresolved conflict, almost like exists still in North Korea and South Korea where they have the de militarized Zone. Both sides have substantial facilities on the either side of the de militarized zone. But I believe I'm correct. You probably know off the top of your head, we've never had an official peace in Korea, right. They just basically have kind of ended the war, but I think technically they are still considered to be in conflict. There was no Grand Peace accord that has been signed in technically in a state of war at whatever is the thirty eighth parallel. So for some part of me thinks that that might end up being the resolution In Ukraine. I don't think it's ideal, but you have some sort of security guarantee based on the mineral Rights agreement that we have discussed, which provides Ukraine some belief that the United States will help to provide security in addition with all the European countries, and then Russia feels like they have this territory. Now you know. The real danger to Ukraine, and I felt this all along. If you look at the map, is if Russia decides to try and take away Ukraine's ability to reach the water right there, basically you would landlock them. And they've kind of taken away a huge percentage of it through Crimea and more. Yes, well, the geography here matters a whole lot speaking of water and taking it away. We haven't discussed this yet on the show, but you may have seen some of the headlines between India and Pakistan, two countries that have a long history of really hating each other and have nuclear weapons pointed at each other, and there was just a major terrorist attack in the Kashmir is this disputed region between India and Pakistan, and there have been there's a law. We've never really talked about this in the show. There's a long history here Kashmiri militants, particularly Pakistan likes to train these different terrorist groups that operate there in India and that they've been going at it here for a long time, firing artillery at each other. They're militaries and in some places this is you're amazed that human beings are even up as high as they are fighting. I mean, this is like you think it would just be mountain goats up there. I mean they are way up, you know, eight ten thousand, twelve thousand feet elevation. They're firing artillery rounds at each other and there is now a the the president of our Prime Minister of India India has come out and said we're going to fight and find the terrorists wherever they are. They've cut off water to Pakistan. It's by understanding through the Indus River and the entire Pakistani well. A huge percentage of the Pakistani workforce is agriculture based, and this is not a country that can afford to have a lot of its agriculture cut off. So we're not even talking about I just made me think of this claike. We're not even really focused on this right now that much in the in the West. But if you're talking about a place, it is far more likely. And I hate having to say this out loud, but it is true. It is far more likely that you would see a major escalation and a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan than anything going on right now in Russia. In my opinion, between the United States and Russia, like these are two countries where if one side thinks they got the upper hand of the other side tackle nuclear weapons. I think the likelihood of that is higher than any feared escalation between the United States and Russia with nukes. I think that we've had a long standing, you know, daytent with Russia, so union before that, ever, nukes clay Indian Pakistan. These countries hate each other. I mean just there's a long standing history of these countries are at each other's throats. Their entire militaries are basically squared off the border from each other between the two countries. So think about it that way. And this is why ultimately the Iran decision and North Korea and all these other countries, right, I mean, you understand why they want nukes, and this is why I'm not optimistic unfortunately that we're suddenly going to get a deal with Iran where we feel like, oh, you know what, the world's have safer place. It feels to me like they're going to lie about everything having to do with their nuclear weapons policy because it makes sense right logically for them to lie and get them just so over knows. India has told all Pakistani nationals to they had twenty four hours to get out of the country. So they're like, get the bleep out of here. This is national pile. This is happening right now. They have cut off the waters of the Indus River because they have you know, the dams and locks and things. They've cut off water, which in which Pakistan, by treaty, is supposed to have access to and needs for its agriculture. It's a little you know, if this continued, it would cut off it would destroy their ability to feed themselves the country. So these are big, These are big moves now. And Kashmir, I think twenty six people were killed. Twenty six India nationals were killed. So there was just a mass casualty terror attack in Kashmir. India believes Pakistans, Pakistan is behind it. India believes Pakistan's behind it, and India is taking really aggressive steps right now. So you know, it's just interesting how we all get so focused on what's going on in this region or that region. This is getting barely a mentioned in most of the US media. And if you're asking me, where is the likeliest place for a really nasty war to break out where both sides have nukes and I think would be willing to use them under certain circumstances. It's this part of the world right now, and no one's even talking about it. So you know, Trump's got his handsful. I think Jade Vance was just in India this week and we're hoping that there's going to be a treaty between or a tariff rather agreement between the US and India. I think there's early Charlie Gasparino was reporting this morning that there looks like there's some agreement on that. So, you know, multi are a billion plus person country that's going to have a better trade relationship with the US. Seems like a very So that's on the positive side of things. If JD. Vance were a Democrat, Usha Vance going to India would have been a huge story because her family is of Indian ancestry. But as is, it got almost no attention. Think about how much attention that would have gotten otherwise. They almost didn't pay attention to it at all. I thought that was a cool segment. They have kids, three of them that were on the trip with them. I thought it looked. For the coverage that I did see, which was limited, I was impressed by. Look, we talked all about testosterone, how important it is for so many men out there. You don't want to end up like the Democrats. Did you see the video. I don't even know if Bucks saw this yet. Did you guys see the video of the governor of Wisconsin throwing a football? It was one of the saddest things that I've ever seen, and I have one of the worst golf swings of all time. But he threw a football. They cut it, and then he's throwing a football to himself and they're trying to celebrate the fact that the NFL Draft is happening in Green Bay, and it was one of the least masculine throws I've ever seen in my life. That's partly because there are no masculine Democrats. They got Tim Wall's spirit fingers. They got Governor Tony Evers in Wisconsin, who can't even throw a football. If you don't want to look like that, if you want to have some testosterone in your life, you need to go to Chalk. Chalk dot com our buddy seat and will hook you up. They've got a male Vitality stack proven to increase your testosterone levels by as much as twenty percent in three months time. It's all natural. Testosterone is your body's natural engine, and if you have more testosterone in your body, you will have more energy, you'll be able to accomplish more things. You can go online and get hooked up today at chalk dot com. That's choq dot com. My name Clay. Massive discount on any subscription for life you can cancel at any time, no penalty, no worries. Chalk dot com, choq dot com, my name Clay to get hooked up today. You ain't imagining it. The world has gone insane. We claim your sanity with Clay and Fun. Find them on the free iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. We're gonna take a few moments to chat with our friend Dana Perino of Fox News. You all know her. She's got a book that just came out this week. I wish someone had told me the best advice for building a great career and a meaningful life. And perhaps we will even get her to weigh in on flutes versus fifes and other fascinating conversations today on the show, Dana, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 6: Hey, I thought you were having me on to talk about the NFL draft.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's my data, that's my area of expertise. Maybe you and I can do a whole segment where we discussed the draft. Because Clay had to tell me that this was even happening, so I had zero idea, but now I love the idea. Dana read sports is one of my favorite parts of Fox News. I love the idea of Dana and Buck try to figure out sports related issues, like you guys just with no help, just come together and try to determine some sports related conclusion. I got a week.
Speaker 6: I really loved the I love watching the NFL Draft because I liked watching all the people, like like in the families and like their excitement. I think that's so fun. And live tweeting the draft is some one of my favorite things to do, so I'm gonna make sure I'm doing that tonight. Like who wouldn't want to?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 6: Who wouldn't want to live in Arizona? That sounds fun. They got cute uniforms too.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll just tell you I've actually never seen the draft, so I think we've established that Dana's knowledge Clay of this exceed mind substantially. I've never watched an NFL draft in my life, so maybe tonight will be my first time. Dand tell us about about the book a little bit here. I mean, you've had a huge career. You were White House Press secretary under Bush. Now you're at the five Fox doing all this amazing stuff. What's the book telling everybody out there?
Speaker 6: So it's called I wish someone had told me the best advice for building a great career and a meaningful life. And I've done a book before called Everything Will Be Okay. And actually, I remember you all had just started your show together, and when that book came out, you had me on and it was such a fun conversation. I remember exactly where I was standing and where we did that. And that book was really targeted to young women going through their quarter life crisis. This book is post COVID and it is not geared just to young women. I made it much more broad based. And also because I have advanced in years since when I left the White House, a lot of people that I mentored back then are still coming to me for advice, and they've become executives, moms and dads. They are looking for the next step in their life. They're making big career transitions. And so I realized I didn't have all the answers myself. I interviewed over forty people, many the people here at Fox News and like Gutfeld, Harold Ford, Junior, Jesse Waters, Sandra Smith, Jimmy Fayala, you name it, Darien here, but also like my college roommate, my husband and Dirk s Bentley. That's why I was thinking. Of of course, I think of Nashville, and I mean Clay Travis, Nashville, Dirk Spentley to talk to them everything from how to start, how to get your foot in the door, how to get a promotion, how to be intentional with your time in a work life balance, and I know Buck your new dad, and yes, sure all of this is I'm sure you'll be able to write a book of advice for dads anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Oh would I would love that. But I have to tell you, Dana, as I'm talking to you. It's always reassuring when I find out that my wife is actually listening to the show. And she texted me and says, make sure you tell Dana that I got a lot out of her book Everything will Be Okay. So Carrie Sexton is a fan of book one and now will be a fan of your most recent book.
Speaker 6: I am sure your your wife is so lovely. Well, you know I love hearing that. And one thing I did find out, guys, is when Everything will be Okay came out, it was a big success. Everybody loved it, but they were younger guys, especially around here at Fox we're like, what about one for us? And there's an insatiable need of young people who they really want to be successful, and they're just looking for us to give them the blueprint, and we don't have the answers. Of course, one of the best things that I've learned and that I could pass on is that I really worried away my twenties for no reason. I was so trying to plan out my life, and everything that happened great in my life is not because I planned it. And if you are an educated American, you already won life's great lottery. And so all you have to decide is how hard do you want to work?
Speaker 1: I think that's so well said, and thanks for coming on, Dana. I had a perfon at Vanderbilt Law School, Larry Soderquist, who has since passed, but he was an incredible business professor and his big thing to us when we were in law school. And I'm sure there's some kids out there that are going to grad school or you're going to take the bar exam soon coming up this summer, and he said, you are already set. He said, you guys have done the hard work of getting into law school. He said the question you have to decide going forward with your legal careers is how do you want to work this law degree? He said, But you're never going to be homeless, you're never going to be hungry. The big concerns in life you have taken care of, and you should think about that more than you do all of you. And I thought that perspective was super important, and I think it reflects upon what you said where there are a lot of kids out there in their twenties. They get out of school, they get out of grad school, they have these quarterlife crises I had won myself, and they wonder what else is out there? And I think this is an important lesson that you're trying to teach them, is that one you're still going to be trying to figure out a lot of things when you're in your thirties, forties, fifties, and sixties. Nobody has all the answers, but you're probably going to be okay.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely. And one of my favorite mentors was President Bush, and I remember he would talk about the importance of not being so risk averse, that America was built on people willing to take a risk and to be pioneers. And I think about Elon Musk right, like he takes risks all the time, like landing rockets on chopsticks. But because he was able to, he was willing to take a risk you can get great reward. And I remember I was really hesitant to start my own business after I left the White House because I had a million reasons that were stupid really looking back. And the President said to me, ask yourself this, what is the worst thing that could happen to you if it fails? So I saw hemden had for a minute and he said, so you're telling me the worst thing that could happen to you, educated American woman who was the White House pres secretary. Start throw within, say it fails, and the worst thing you have to do is go back and work for another PR firm. That's the worst thing. And he said, I'm not persuaded by that. And that's really helpful to me. I learned from doctor Samantha Boordman. When people are dealing with anxiety, and of course of course we all do, and also we're surrounded by young people who have a lot of it, you ask yourself, what's the worst thing that could happen, and what's the best thing that could happen, and usually what happens is somewhere in the middle, and it can calm you down pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think there's an old quote from one of the great Stoics that we suffer more in imagination than reality. It might have been Seneca or it's one of them. So it's a version. You know, Dane is updating it for the twenty first century. But this is very true Jackie Waters.
Speaker 6: When I interviewed him for this book. Jesse Waters talks about the Stoics as well in this book.
Speaker 1: Well, Jesse Waters and I are apparently brothers from another mother. I had no idea fun fact. Jesse doesn't even know this, but maybe he was in. I think it was like an English one oh one class at Trinity College with my older brother at one point, to give your sense to what a small world it was. Then Mason transferred went to a different school. But yes, Jesse and I have been give me the tea. Yeah, Jesse and I have, and ship's passing. The Mason assures me he might have popped his collar, but he was a very nice guy. But yes, we've got Dana Perino with us right now, and she's got a new book out which you guys should all check out, and her books have been huge successes up to this point. So what's uh. You know, if you're if you're looking now for the people out there who are going to be grabbing this book, if there's one thing that you want them to really take out of it today, or rather one thing that they would read and you hope that they could apply to their lives as soon as possible, Dan, And what would that be.
Speaker 6: Well, I think We've covered a lot of it, and especially what I'm hoping is that when people read this, they will realize they don't need to worry as much. One of the reasons that you seek out a book like this is because you're trying to get some answers the things that are bothering you. So I'm hoping that that is true. But I would also pass on this advice. Most of the mentees that come to see me, they are definitely interested in professional guidance, but they also are looking for meaningful personal lives. They would love to meet somebody, they want to get married, they want to have families, and they want to find a work life balance that will allow them to have a great wonderful, meaningful life, and my experience was unusual. I met my husband on an airplane twenty eight years ago, and there's a million reasons why we might not have met, or that we could have talked ourselves out of it. But choosing to be loved is not a career limiting decision. It actually made all the difference for me. And I'm hoping that young people can take that away and realize that investing in yourself in a commitment is a great way to enhance your life and your career.
Speaker 1: I got a great I got to reverse for a second. Here, take us into this. This is a this is a great story of romance. You met your husband on a plane. Like, what was the first move? Here? Did he spill his his peanuts or his Seltzer and your lap?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How did you get this going?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Okay, so it was nineteen ninety seven, So let's go in the way way back machine. Nobody had phones, nobody had air pods. Okay. So I was carrying a book. I was working for a congressman. I was coming back from washing from Denver, going Denver Chicago, Chicago, DC. And I was on an American Airlines flight. I almost missed the plane because it was my first time driving out to the New Denver International Airport, which might as well be in Kansas.
Speaker 1: It's so far away, exaccurate.
Speaker 6: And so the last two people to get on the plane were myself and this guy. And I sat down in the window seat and he said, would you like me to put your bag up above? British accent?
Speaker 1: Strong move? I thought, you strong move?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the accents. Accents are helpful, no wedding ring handsome. And he had a book called The Tailor of Panama by John McCarey. I said, oh, I said, do you like that book? So we started talking about books and for two and a half hours. We talked for a long time. I remember asking him what do people in Europe seeking about Bill Clinton? And he said they think he's a clown. And I was like, oh, wow, we're going to get along great. But then I remember looking at the window and saying a prayer to God that I know I asked you to help me find someone. But he's much older than me. He lives in England. I had my career is on the right track. I didn't think I would meet somebody on an airplane, but I couldn't eat, sleep, drink, concentrate anything. After I met him, and about six weeks later we had our first date when he was back in the States in New Orleans, And six months later I moved to England twenty eight years ago.
Speaker 1: Wow, what was the reaction when you told people I'm just kind of curious. Hey, I'm going to move to England. I met a guy on an airplane.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you didn't you hit the nail on the head of One of the reasons I wrote the book because one of the things I worried about in my twenties was how am I going to get a job, How will I succeed? How will I pay my bills? Then? How am I going to meet somebody? How am I going to meet some Then? What are people going to think about me for wanting to be with this man who is much older than me, lives in England, and that I'm leaving my job and career to go live in England and who knows what's going to happen to me? Yeah, And I worried myself to death. And this a woman of a family friend that don't give up on this chance to be.
Speaker 1: Loved, And there something in their daty. What one superpower that I've learned is to not care what people think who don't matter to you, you know.
Speaker 6: But you know what it's so interesting is that we have to learn this lesson over and over again, because your parents teach you that when you're young, or maybe you learn it in Sunday school or from a teacher or from other friends. And all of these young people are always thinking about what others are thinking about them and how they're being judged. And what I remind them is that actually we all just think about ourselves all the time. Somebody has time to think about you.
Speaker 1: And by the way, especially in a social media age, people are even more obsessed about how they're being perceived than they would have been in the past. Way, can I ask her a question that, Dana, do you think that? Do you think that women? I'm putting you on the hot seat a little bit here? Everybody loves data, Pirno, everyone's gonna love this book. You're on the hot seat now. Do women in this era care too much about men's height?
Speaker 6: Gosh, you know, I am barely I'm not even quite five foot one, so even Guttfeld is a little tall to me. Just kidding. He is not tall to me. Woman cares much about height. I mean maybe, I mean I know that it's sort of it depends, like I don't you don't see.
Speaker 1: A lot of how tall is your husband, Dana, how tall is your husband? Let's just let's just go through this.
Speaker 6: About I would say five to ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is like he's like tall but not you know, you didn't date like you're not a five to one lady who married a six foot five guy. We've had some conversations on the show recently about this.
Speaker 6: He's tall for someone from Scotland. How about that?
Speaker 1: Fair enough? Fair enough? Yeah, I don't even know if that's just a shot at Scottish men. By the way, that you just I wouldn't have been all for someone from Scottish men are short? Is this true?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The book, by the way, is fabulous. I have met her husband. He is fabulous. Dana has taken us out. He is great, he is fantastic. Well, hey, by the way, you're listening to a guy who may get canceled at any moment. No idea what might happen from one second to the next. The book I wish someone one had told and Dana Perino, go buy it. You're gonna like it. Dana. We appreciate the time you do. Fantastic or til Bir, we said high, thank you. Same to you. Claiy. I was struck by something as we're talking to Dana, who who? It is true? Everybody My wife loves Dana. Everybody loves Dana. Her book is fantastic. I'm sure the last book was fantastic. I have a book title for you for your next book, because we know the topic. I have a title for you. Do you want me to tell you the title now or when we come back. I want to hear your title when we come back. We've got a title for the book and it's probably not going to surprise you, but I'm curious if your title is somewhat similar to the title. We've got an idea. Now that you're telling me this, I feel like it could be, but you have Just to be clear, Clay has not told me the title of his forthcoming book. I have a title in mind for him, and I think some of you are really going to like it. So that's what we call it. Ease in the business. Uh. And if you switch, is it me or you? Who's supposed to know. It's me. It's me. Oh, I blew it. Sorry, the leaf blowers are throwing you off, buddy. I need the leaf blowers just track me everywhere. I hate those guys. Look this, my family's coming down because the uh now we got we got my grandmother on uh well for my child, my mom, and my dad. They're all coming down this weekend, and you know what, we're doing a steak feast Saturday night, courtesy of Good Ranchers. Kerry and I have already picked out the cuts of meat that we're going to be serving where I got a I got an additional because it's gonna be a whole bunch my brothers, my sister in law, my mom, my dad, my sister. You know, we got a whole squad here. How do you feed a whole squad a Good Ranchers box everybody. We've got the meats cut, We've got the meats picked out. Rather they're going to be delicious because I eat Good Rancher stuff all the time, so I know it's top quality. Makes it so easy for me. I even got an extra souv bucket. That's how much Good Ranchers meet. I'm gonna making this weekend. Try Good Ranchers yourself. Support American ranchers in the process. You're gonna love the meat, the chicken, the pork, the fish. They've got all kinds of great stuff, and they ship it all right to you in a box with just the right amount of dry ice, careful packaging to keep those products frozen and ready to enjoy just how you like it. When you buy from Good Ranchers, you're supporting family farms and keep them thriving. I'll post some photos and video and stuff of the amazing steaks I'm gona be cooking up this weekend. Papa Speed my dad. He's gonna love it. He's a red meat man. Enter my name Buck when you go to good ranchers dot com. Enter my name Buck and you'll receive free bacon, ground, beef, chicken nuggets, salmon for a year and forty dollars off Good ranchers dot com. Enter my name Buck is your promo code forty dollars off plus free bacon, ground, beef, chicken nuggets or salmon for a year.
Speaker 3: Stories are freedom stories of America, inspirational stories that you unite us all each day, spend time with Clay and find them on
Speaker 1: The free iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.