Speaker 1: I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I don't know how to say this without sounding like into myself. But I've had some big people on this podcast and that I've had other people reach out to be on it, and truthfully, what's most interesting to myself and listeners is just nonsense. So it's rare that I'll say, wait, I want to have that person on because it's just somebody that I'm interested in speaking to and hearing from. This is sort of like my garage band. I kind of do exactly what I want and I talk to only who I want to talk to.
Speaker 3: That well, other than what a compliment that is, that means the most to me because I don't think it's you being full of yourself at all. You are the bipolar opposite of the story I'm telling now, because you succeeded enormously from a platform I honor and respect to hell lot of that. The interesting thing is that what the story I'm telling now, I didn't do that. I did not do that.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I didn't know you were doing something. I have a friend who mentioned you to Manic Wait. He thought he was pitching you to me, and I'm like no, yeah, what happened to her? Because we're going to explain to the audience what we're talking about, because most of my audience, probably half my audience, has no idea who you are, all right, So let's start from the sort of beginning from my perspectives. So growing up, like, there were certain people that you remember. You remember Suzanne Summers in the fitness sort of health diet space. Diet was a big word back in the day. Half a cantalope tab a cigarette like that, you know, Dexa trim, slim fast bars. That was sort of like my life of coming up from diet Atkins diet. Later it was a South Beach diet. Later later it was the Zone diet, the Scarsdale diet. Hot dog on a Tuesday, all fruit and meat on a Wednesday, like yeah, boo yon. Like, so I remember, because I grew up in an eating disorder household, I was always ripping out the magazine thing that had all the diets, and so in our vernacular, there was a period that was later called stop the insanity. Okay, in the same way that you'll hear that's hot now or hot mess and not know where that comes from. Not remember that that that's hot as Paris Hilton or hot mess came from Christian Siriano or you know certain, or that I invented the skinny margarita, like a lot of people just anecdotally order skinny margarita, thinking it came with like Adam and Eve, you know, with the apple. I invented that. So stop the insanity, which many people may say now came from Susan Powder.
Speaker 4: Absolutely okay.
Speaker 2: So from my purview, there was a woman who was tall and lean and thin and ironically slightly insane, like unhinged and passionate, and she had almost shaved platinum blonde hair, and it was like she was just talking about low fat. So I was watching this woman who began the fat free movement, which was as prevalent as the calorie deficit or the low carb or the kytosis movement or any of that or the whatever they call it, like the carnivorre diet. There was a woman and this is her, this is Susan Powder. She was massive. She was piling up potatoes, piling up pasta and saying, you can have all of this as long as you have no fat. And people were going to restaurants ordering spaghetti and tomato sauce as long as it had no oil, no fat, and that was a precursor to the low carb act in South Beach lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Okay, so enter Susan powder.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting thing is that that was one component to stop the insanity because what I was saying is whole foods versus process I was saying low fat, not processed low fat food. I was saying whole foods. That's what people who read the books, who came to the seminars, it did get massive. But the interesting thing about stop the insanity was the fact that I had any chance in hell. And that's why I understand and respect a lot of what you have done, because I'm sure that you have heard. Oh my god, she said so much energy. She's so aggressive, she saw this, she talks so much, she does this. Yet it was the energy that what I did was stop the insanity. Was I told the story of my ex husband. I flat baloney in the air and said, this is a pig's butt.
Speaker 1: It was disruptive before disruptive was a thing.
Speaker 3: Like I said, stuff that had nothing to do, nothing to do with it. Being a dietician, never I never called myself a fitness guru. The press, which you know, is far limited in the nineties compared to even now. There was no Internet, so the press said fitness guru. I never said that. What I said was from the beginning, and I say it now, I'm sixty seven years old. I'm just a housewife who figured it out. That's what I said. So the big industries that came in later, Bethany, and I don't think many people would understand this more than you. Never once believed. I had no chance in hell. It was a complete fluke.
Speaker 4: Normal Ray.
Speaker 3: It's the movie Norma Ray when Norma Ray, when Sally Field steps on the thing and brings the mills to a grinding halt. The American women said, I don't care what she's saying, like there's something real.
Speaker 4: They it was the way you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's disruptive.
Speaker 2: It was disruptive, it was polarizing, it was shocking. But by the same token, in the way that like a Hule Cogan is disruptive too, like you barely it's not about what he's doing or fighting's just who he is. You're just like, wait, what. So it was disruptive, but by the same token. You did not have the Internet to clarify anything.
Speaker 3: I didn't need to because millions of women came to events, bought books. Seven of them bought platinum videos.
Speaker 4: So my message.
Speaker 3: But I didn't have the direct to consumer like I have now. But unabashed is the word and hull Cogan, I mean whatever a woman being unabashed. In nineteen ninety three, single mother, ex stripper, unapologetic, beyond belief. I was a stripper in Dallas, Texas, and I started teaching exercise and the women gathered and I would talk a million mas a minute, a million like I still do now, a million maza minute. Stop the insanity started. It started in the grocery aisles of Piggly Wiggly, that was the name of the grocery store. I heard everyone in Texas two babies in a thing a year apart. You have a daughter, you have a child. I was single mother, two babies a year apart. He walked out when I had a six week old and a one year old.
Speaker 2: What is like an evangelist and people were just like clung to you.
Speaker 3: I just told the truth of my and storytelling was not in the fitness world.
Speaker 4: When I stepped into fitness. I never. I never got a degree. I never.
Speaker 3: I made fun of having to be certified because I sent in the money when I finally had it, like a thousand dollars to be certified, and I said, you never met me, you don't know anything about me. I've got my certificate. It was unabashed. It was insane. But it was me talking to women, not directly.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: But that's that's interesting because well, first of all, that was when there was a movie called Perfect with Jamie Lee Curtis. Fitness was the most fitness has ever been.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: It was the it was the the headband, it was the neon leggings.
Speaker 3: Did you see the redoing of the skit that she just did it on Saturday Night Live a couple of months back.
Speaker 4: It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Now you have to say, no, no, she did it as a And do you know that Jamie Lee is the executive producer of the movie.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's so much we have to talk about. No, No, that's why you bring her up.
Speaker 2: I would be because that's my generation and I remember all the videos and the Jane fond of this is when like fitness started to be like, wait, I could be fit at home and do calisthenics and all this stuff and diet.
Speaker 4: It was down hundred percent.
Speaker 1: What you're saying.
Speaker 2: Effectively, I always say that people did not buy the skinny margarita.
Speaker 1: They bought me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stop the insanity.
Speaker 3: The infomercial, which was part of what came Simon It's us two books, We got all that. They shot that infomercial, I said, get women live, audience five camera shoot.
Speaker 4: They didn't believe it was going to be anything.
Speaker 3: Believe me when I tell you the reason it was a success was because of conversion rate. People were calling up to order the product. They saw the informer and they were just like, I want it. Yeah, And they hadn't seen that in the industry. Because the infomercial Injucy comes up with you if you order in the next five minutes, and you get, and you get and you get.
Speaker 2: The most important thing. I've had brands reach out to me and say to me that I've moved so much product and other people who have millions of followers haven't sold a single And that means that I have a high engagement and conversion rate and you have that too, And for you. You were in the world of QVC, et cetera. And if you're bringing in new customers, if people are sitting there for a minute, and maybe by other things, those ares metrics people think about. So you were like an influencer. Before there really were influencers.
Speaker 4: Well, they didn't even exist.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that compounds this is that people don't understand because it was so big, because it went into a lot of different industry. I mean, I did all the work. Nobody wrote my books, nobody did a thing. I did the work. That's great, but it was a very short amount of time. It was four and a half something years. It went from nothing to stratify.
Speaker 1: Everything to nothing. It happens.
Speaker 2: I was just reading somebody talking about this girl who's a podcaster who literally I saw only every second of the day during the pandemic, and it was only she probably had six months, but was astronomical And now we don't see her anymore because so, you know, it is fool's gold. You had a four year moment. Social media now is so insanely relentless. You could be the biggest thing in the world for three months and be over like it's really insane. Because there's so much volume. When you were big, there was really no volume. Like I can literally name ten people. I could say Suzanne Summer's, Richard Simmons. You this is pre Oprah, Jane Fonda. You know, Redisphilben was a big deal back then, but not selling anything like I could name the people.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 2: You know, it was a different time, so you were a big deal. How much money did you make?
Speaker 4: Okay, I was a dancer in Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 1: I opened it making nothing. You had no money?
Speaker 4: No, I made really good money as a stripper. No, no, really it was a stripper.
Speaker 2: What we let's slow this down because people have to follow as a stripper, you had your babies as a stripper.
Speaker 1: You had your babies after being a stripper?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I had two children a year apart. The original book of Stop the Insanity is I was married, had two babies a year apart, two ten pound babies, woke up a year later, husband gone, and you know two hundred and sixty like shop like a lot of millions of women nursing babies, running a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had to change the way I looked and felt because I hated it what I was scared about, and I was genuinely scared about it is. I looked up to twenty four months goes by, you know, to fifty, and I remember thinking, you know what's next?
Speaker 4: Three? Three?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I didn't hold on you weigh two hundred and fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: Or sixty pounds before and after picture and stop dance ending. I didn't have a babysitter, I didn't have any money. So here's the answer to your question.
Speaker 2: And you want to be there for your kids? Which is the number? It was never my phone.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think of it.
Speaker 4: Well, no, no, that wasn't my primary thing. I was. I wanted to get myself back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he walks out, he's got a you know, ten year old girlfriend whatever, girlfriend like you don't even know. I told the story in the original book about when he finally did show up for visitation. You deal with it, I know, divorce. Everybody understands. I was hugely fat.
Speaker 4: My kids.
Speaker 3: Finally, it had been two months since I had had a weekend off, and I was crouching down trying to look at his girlfriend, and I got stuck between the chair and the wind.
Speaker 4: I got stuck.
Speaker 1: And it's a story this is fat.
Speaker 4: That's what that launched the I mean I it.
Speaker 2: Was anecdotal, atidotal come up.
Speaker 3: With I'm a fitness expert. I never said that. I said, this is how I live. It's still how I lived.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a woman who created Stacy's Pita Chips, and the business was about the sandwiches. She had a sandwich cart, and the only thing that you couldn't ever run out of with a sandwich car because you had a bunch of ingredients in the freezing cold in Chicago, was the bread. So she never had she never ran out of peda. She was at extra peda. So what did she do with the extra peda not to waste? Was the maid of the peda chips. The pita chips was what popped off. But that's not what her business was. That's what she sold for two hundred and fifty million dollars. So I'm saying your what you're saying is what became The thing that they wanted was not the main thing you were talking about. It was you just saving your life. And everybody ended up clinging on to the weight loss one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: But that was the peta chips that immediately was massive corporations. I mean it was literally, can you write a book? I was like, yeah, well I'll write a book whatever. I wrote my own.
Speaker 1: What were you making as a stripper a year?
Speaker 4: You know, on a good night eight hundred on a de can break on twenty five. I didn't pay it.
Speaker 1: You can make a quarter million dollars a year.
Speaker 4: You could well in Dallas, the biggest clubs ever.
Speaker 2: I mean that's you know, okay, I just want to get okay, So what did you personally make in the four years on?
Speaker 1: Stop the insanity, just broad strokes? What did you make? What did you met?
Speaker 4: Well, they're in lives the story.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I made because I got we got a phone call that said, you know, so and so wants to invest in you to do two things, to build franchise, studios and a clothing line. I was like, yeah, let's do a clothing line and franchise. That's great, get it, take full responsibility. But no, it wasn't that deep. And then they built another studio, and then all of a sudden it blew the hell up. They they did not expect it. So when I went into that meeting a year and a half in and said, I just want to do things. You know, you make your money back. That's fine. He put his finger in my face and said, I own you for These are the exact words for batim. This is in lawsuits.
Speaker 2: So the cautionary tale for the audience, which has happened in many cases, and this is why I've been successful, is in the beginning, when you're creative and you have a good idea or you're succeeding, you're like yeah, yeah, yeah, and you'll listen to so many different people. And the truth is that's when the things that seem like it don't matter because you're playing checkers, but you have to play chess at the same time. You have to think of the little thing, the little kernel that could become something massive, because that's really the key to success. And you were so successful and then you ended up being an uber eats driver. That's quite a swing because you were folks. And this happens, by the way, many chefs, successful chefs, very successful famous chefs. They are not focused on the business because they're focused on the passion and the creativity, and they lose their name, they lose their ip, they lose their business. Like you could not even have your own name.
Speaker 3: I had the owner of this ex owner of the season Battle Corporation bought a racehorse in my name that AI didn't know existed and was winning races with it, and I didn't know that existed. And absolutely what you're saying, Yes, but it's I think there's a dimension to that that you have to add. The nineties not as an excuse, as an absolute reality.
Speaker 1: No people, no one had a brand, No one was an entrepreneur.
Speaker 3: I couldn't go to Time Warner and say I want to see the book. Sorry, it didn't work that way, right, you know, I got it. I literally was sitting in a business meeting. I mean, this has happened to me all the time. I knit a lot, and I get bored in business meetings. And I was knitting and there was a huge meeting and there was an agent in there, and everybody was nervous and I was just knitting. And this guy came by and you remember that used to wear the Madison Avenue white collars, you know, on the white cuffs and the stripe ties. And he walked by and said, you don't look like a woman who knits. And I said, you look like a fucking barber pole with a head on it, and he said, Hi, I'm the president of blah blah blah, and we got the job, Bethany, we got the job. I am who I am, but they produced me out of me.
Speaker 1: No, that is very common too.
Speaker 3: TV came along, Multimedia, net Star comes a lot, you know, the infomercial came along. Simon it Ch used to in time Wonner. I was up I mean, you may as well crucify me. I was up against and that is not an excuse, but I did not.
Speaker 2: Know that makes sense. And the nineties people were smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol while having babies, like anything really went and that could work. And that's why it's so ironic that back then there were so many archaic rules because in some other ways people were so fast and loose. It's like there's a combination of people being more pearl clutching but then also being completely rogue. So it was an interesting time. It makes perfect sense what you're saying. It makes perfect sense. Not until shows like Shark Tank did anyone talk forget women, But did anyone talk.
Speaker 1: About brands ip lawyer?
Speaker 2: You just sort of you know, this is why Roger Ayles was fondling people that worked at Fox like it was a digretch and Carls this is it will go a bit beyond fondling. Yeah, exactly. No, it was a different time. That's why the cast and couch. It was a different time, you know, and you just accepted it.
Speaker 3: And also it is we didn't have any way. I mean, I wrote it in my book that I just wrote I went before e commerce was e commerce. I said, I want to do products that are authentic. I mean I loved my audience always everywhere I went all over the world, but I couldn't get directly to any of them, to any of them.
Speaker 4: This has shanged now.
Speaker 2: There was no direct to consumer and you could be yourself right now and you could connect and if there was somebody that did something wrong, you could have a platform for it, you could talk about. It's a different world and this the world of streaming.
Speaker 1: It makes so much sense that you are.
Speaker 2: In a new I think it's a new documentary like this with Jamie Lee Curtis. This makes perfect sense, Like it's so circular, and it really also shows people that like you just never know.
Speaker 1: Ironically, the Fat Lady hasn't some pardon the pun, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You never know when something's going to come around and you're gonna be able to have a voice. And I think it's really amazing. And so you're you an Uber eats driver. Now, is that how you're supporting yourself? Drove yesterday, drove yesterday. Yep, proudly.
Speaker 1: I love Uber It's I've done deals with Uber.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to be old enough to appreciate greatly gigwork because it's sixty seven.
Speaker 4: I'm the best waitress on earth.
Speaker 3: Some of their best drivers are people my age who take care of the food, who respect having the privacy of the job. I've died a million deaths behind the wheel of that car. I've been shamed to the point where I can't even tell you I've been so grateful I've been I could literally do. I want to do their corporate training videos to help people my age use their equipment and understand how to do it and not be frightened of it.
Speaker 2: They're missing a big market. No, And you're also saying that like it's not the same thing. But years ago you were able to dance to support your kids, and now you're saying that Uber eats has like, given you the freedom to do this, and you're producing shit and write a.
Speaker 3: Book, Well, do you want to hear the moments where it's very difficult, something that down which I don't get knocked down, believe me. I was delivering one day and it was, you know, I pull into this gated neighborhood and you know, I'm like, I used to own a house like that. You know, sometimes it's just visually shocking a lot of times. And I walk up to the front door and I rang the doorbell and Louie Anderson answered the door. And Louis knew me back in the day, and he knew who it was delivering his food.
Speaker 4: And he has said it's the craziest story. No, no, But.
Speaker 3: Here's what's crazy. Is I hand over his life's battle. And he would say this, I'm not speaking okay. His life's battle was fast food and a lot of it food. Food was his life's battle. Sorry, And so he opened the door and looked. He knew, Oh my god, I'm a position, that's what That's what I'm saying. But he what was what used to be your life's battle? Well, not even that I might I didn't have a life anymore. Beth and like, I'm his delivery driver, and he knew me, and I knew him, and I was as respectful in handing him, and we looked at each other. But I turned around from that three days in tears, three days of just like Susan, what like what I mean? So it's not just oh, I'm proud I work no matter what. This has been a very painful ten years.
Speaker 1: Wow, I believe it. Wow. Thank you for saying that.
Speaker 3: There have been many moments where people say I worked on the strip. The most hated people on the strip are timeshare people.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Timeshare people?
Speaker 3: You know, they hand you stuff, they stop you, they try and get you to go on those horrifying tours the whole afternoon and you're stuck up in the middle of whatever. I worked the strip and only two people knew who I used to be. This is a couple of years ago. And the Elvis who's there every day if you're on the ship, always has a huge beer like it's seven in the morning. And it was Elvis who recognized me. Now, what should be funny and what should try to be was stragic to me. Character was drunk as hell. He was drunk as hell, and he said, you remind me of that crazy woman.
Speaker 1: You remind me of that?
Speaker 4: Are you that fucking woman? Are you that glipper?
Speaker 3: And I ran through planet Hollywood and I didn't go back to work for days, a couple of days, and then I would sit alone and think that ship that's ironically kind of hysterical, but it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Come on, you're a human being, well as Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a mother, and you're used to be fancy schmancy, and you got all your money and your competent whatever. And then eight years later you look up and Elvis is screaming at you. You still got kids, You're still a mother. It changes that dynamic too, changes every dynamic.
Speaker 1: First of all, can I just say something like.
Speaker 4: You could say anything, this is yours.
Speaker 2: But no, no, you're a guest in my home. Constructive criticism when you slow down and tell these stories like I feel it, I get it. I can't like I really get it because I'm gonna tell you a story. And the Louis Anderson thing tracks too, like you're just like this is that moment and it's just the two of you, so it's not like everyone's seeing it, but you are and you're feeling and so is he because he had a has been feeling too in his lession. Yeah, I mean I'm feeling it for like Joan Rivers, who in her documentary said that she felt like her identity was about filling up that calendar. Like everybody who was somebody Elizabeth Taylor, everybody feels degraded at some point, Like that's that's what the show Hacks is about. Yeah, you know, like she's washed up, but she's trying to like get it back. Like I believe that I will be Jean Smart in Hacks, Like I think that's who I am, Like someone who used to be major, has all these major possessions and is like gonna still go bargain at the antique place and my assistant going in to try to get a deal while I'm driving up with the Rolls Royce. So we all get it as you get older, like you're just like wait, WHOA Like every everybody you know, no one gets out without paying the bill. And that's why I think it's so remarkable. And I really hope this documentary, like really thank you gets this because it's so granular. And I had a moment let me just tell you my story that that reminded me of. It's not exact, and I wasn't like rock Bottom by any stretch. I am on I have no idea why the tables keep going hot, and the minute they're called, I'll walk out. Not to intentionally use a Vegas reference, but now I feel lucky and smart, Like I feel like I'm lucky and smart because of what's happened to you can happen to anybody, and so I feel grateful for all the obsessing over the details and for being a little bit tough, like people would be like, she's so aggressive, and she's so tough. And someone commented in a post of mine there was a post about me and it was a flashback of the way someone treated me on a show, and the people commenting someone said, now I know why she can be so aggressive because people have tried to demean her so long. After you're a woman, people have tried to demean so long and diminish what you've done. You're gonna be a little agro, which I am. But I was asked to open the stock exchange and ring the bell and I said yes, and my team said yes. As something you say yes to you.
Speaker 1: Just say yes.
Speaker 2: It sounds iconic, it sounds big and like we should be doing it, like the cover of a magazine. But I didn't really understand what it was because I have so many things going on and sometimes something comes that you know is good and yes, the box is checked and you're going to do it, but you don't really understand on a granular level what it means.
Speaker 1: So I agree to it.
Speaker 2: I get dressed up, I go down there to Times Square to do this thing, and I remember like having a weird thing. Should my daughter come? But then she had practice after and she was like, mom, I have practice. She doesn't understand the magnitude of it because I don't understand it, and I haven't said you need to come. This is important. This is like me coming to your recital. And I'm like that nobody needs to come. I didn't invite one person. I show up there with a publicist and a publicist assistant, and as I get there, it's so big and there making such a big deal about it, and the studio is so big and we're in Time Square and I'm just like wait, and it like seems kind of grandiose and massive and I was so like, just it was part of my calendar. And as I get there, of course it's on a time thing. It's when the market closes. I didn't have time to get my daughter there. I feel so I'm gonna cry. I feel so alone. I feel like such a loser that has done so much in my life and is so successful, and the world's about to see this. This is a global platform, and I didn't even stop down to like think about it, to take the time to ask anybody to be there. And I feel like I'm at my funeral by myself, Like I feel like no one came to my feeld.
Speaker 1: I am so alone.
Speaker 2: I'm hysterically crying. I cry on the internet after I was just like wait and it was going too fast, and I did it alone, Like I feel, I feel like a loser now talking about it.
Speaker 4: It was so I understand. I understand, so anyway, I understand. That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: I understand too, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I understand what that moment on someone's stoopid that should mean nothing, who cares? That was like your whole life and on that Vegas strip of that guy, I really understand.
Speaker 4: And because you're a mother. I'm a mother. I don't care.
Speaker 3: I got a forty two year old and forty one year old in a twenty seven year old. I don't care how old they are. There's still my children. Then you're gonna add you have to add the ripple of Oh my god, I like totally failed my family, like I like, I like I totally failed.
Speaker 2: You feel like a loser in front of them too, even though they don't know what's going on, like you still feel like a loser of failure. Part breakingly so, the whole thing is degrading, demoralizing, and it can happen to anyone at any economic level.
Speaker 3: Things do not always work out. And you know, I mean, you know cliche. It's beyond cliche. How you manage it? If they really go sideways, it has nothing to do. It's not formulaic. I'm not telling you how to be wealthy in the face of poverty. I wouldn't do that. I'm not insulting. For God's sake.
Speaker 4: What I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: Is I would have absolutely been dead if I didn't have the physiological strength that I've spent years building. I was when I was walking upstairs delivering uber eats in the middle of the winter. Let's not pretend it's like hell, raining, rainy days, trying to find an apartment, just being shocked at what's happening. I'm all, I literally say, Susan, you got strong legs, let's go. I saw it as exercise and movement I encourage. But you know, that's all great because I have that ethic. I have a strong work ethic. And there's no load to this high. I maintained pride in myself even on the days where sobbing, sobbing, sobbing, many of them, many, many, many of them. I maintained like, it's okay, Susan, It's just get up. And it's very interesting to me that you mentioned Joan, because a I knew her back in the day.
Speaker 4: I refer to her all the time in the book.
Speaker 3: Because when I had an opportunity, which is again is right here, you know, here's the story again, right here, out of nowhere, I got a call a year and a half ago. I wasn't thinking about anything. I didn't even even writing the book. I was just writing down the chronology because I didn't think i'd make it.
Speaker 1: You just wanted to get it out.
Speaker 4: I wanted my story told.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but out of nowhere, I got a text from someone Susan Powder, question mark. Nobody knows I have three children and one friend. I don't nobody. Nobody calls me nobody.
Speaker 2: Are you surprised that I knew exactly who you were? I was like, wanted to have you on here?
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: I wasn't surprised that you knew who I was, because I know that you knew that time. I was fascinated as to why, because I know you're smart, and I was like, and you know, I know you haven't read the book, you haven't seen the movie Eve and whatever, so that's why you know you're coming from where most people are, which is, what the hell are you talking about? I was fascinated because I'm appreciate talking about real things and having the chance to just even if it's encapsulated.
Speaker 4: Explain it.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 3: And also, come on, you know you have a voice and you've never you know, you're you're not a sackape. I mean, Bethley Franklin wants you on. I'm like thrilled, thank you well. I was grateful too, very great, Like I was like, oh, I'm really glad because I know it'll be a good conversation. So anyway, I get a text out of nowhere that said Susan Powder question mark, which was and I thought it was someone I just delivered to who figured out that it was me, and I was like who? And I called my friend Marianne who's in the movie on the book, called my friend mari Anne and I said, what who is this? And she called like, you know, hey, you know you're trying to get in touch with Susan Powder. And it was a very talented filmmaker who said, Hi, my name is and he said, I'm interested in meeting with you about a documentary. I said, no, Like, I mean, what would Joan Rivers do? That's what I said out loud, What would Joan do? And what I said is Joan would show up if there was work, even in the back rooms of Las Vegas, which she played for years when Johnny Carson tried to destroy her career, she would show up. And she kept showing up until she paid for that damn wedding of Melissa's at the Plaza Hotel.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: The biggest joke in our family is what Mom always says, is you know ww they think it's what would Jesus do?
Speaker 4: It's what would Joan do?
Speaker 3: I say it, I say it on a daily I can go get the picture right now. Yeah, there's no coincidence. It's not coincidence. It's not coincidental at all. But when that happened, I was just shooting a Vice interview. So I watched my first infomercial and I'd never watched it, and I thought I'd be ashamed.
Speaker 4: I thought i'd be ashamed. I was so proud of what I did on that stage.
Speaker 3: It was the only the last authentic thing they let me do was that first infomercial because nobody gave a crap because they didn't believe it because I hadn't generated a penny yet. It's not just if your talent. It's not just if you have a good thing. It's not just if you know your market. It's not just if you know your brand. It isn't because you make two hundred million dollars for someone and it's like.
Speaker 4: No, I just don't need to tell her. No, we'll talk to Susan about that later. No, No, you know what, well, I heard those things.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's how But that's how Bravo was with the ratings. They didn't want anyone to know how well the ratings were doing, because then they would have to pay people more. And I was the one who would badger them and say, I don't understand why if we're.
Speaker 4: Breaking Susanne did that on Three's Companies.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was just saying, you need to send us the ratings, and I made them send them every week.
Speaker 1: Every cast member will claim.
Speaker 3: And what I'm saying is the fact that women are still saying that is beyond bloody ridiculous. But even now you can do that because look at the power you can have.
Speaker 1: No, I love this, I love this.
Speaker 2: I love this for them, for you, but like to make it, to elevate it and to make it even more meaningful because it's great that you're speaking to them about with pride. You're amazing. I can't wait for this documentary. Good for you for everything the pride. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: So yay.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see what happens next. And I can't wait to tell my friend I'm glad we had you on.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.