Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host, Will Compton. It is a strong victory Monday today. Boys, let's fucking go. Where's the energy? Where's the energy? The only you know, there are no moral victories. There are no moral victories but the boys. The Nebraska boys played their ass off this weekend. But hey, there's no moral victories other than that. Though. We swept. We swept it all. Washington Football Team, dub Tennessee Titans, dub Vegas Raiders. We're two and zero, like what. And it was my birthday. So it's just been a great weekend all around, outside of the Nebraska game, which we'll get into before we get into it, before we get into everything. This episode is always brought to you by the greatest truck brand in all of the world, the Chevy Silverado, the strongest, most advanced Silverado ever. The Silverado is strong, advanced, dependable, hard working, great, and all the things we talk about every week. The design is big, bolt and commanding. This truck turns heads. It's hey, it's Monday right now, and everybody in Nashville knows how hard it's been raining all damn day, and the Chevy Silverado doesn't bat an eye. Everyone else is swerving out there, kind of getting caught in the water a little bit, sliding a little bit. Not to Chevy Silverado. Why because it's dependable and you can rely on that thing. A partner with grit and determination, anything is possible. And the Silverado is a partner in that it's used for tailgating, hauling, whether it's a new big screen TV, tailgate equipment, whatever the case may be, towing, towing boats, RV trailers, towing the bus off roading, moving day, and like I said, driving in the rain, helping out your friend or family member. Garrett, you remember that road trips. Go to a Chevy dealership near you. Let him know that the boy sent you personally the boy I used Freeland Chevrolet right out here in Nashville. If you go to Freeland and you let them know, you let those boys know, hey will Compton the boy he sent me. You might get a little something extra. I can't tell you what it is, it's up to them, but you might get a little something thrown in there for you. So enjoy a little weekend day before the big game, and go get your Chevy Soverado at any car dealership near you. Now, a lot of stuff to talk about. Number one we have on Spencer Lee. He'll be the interview guests here in a little bit. We got to get through some current events and some current topics first because we've had a couple like recent pods with Roger Soefold and Jeff Simmons, awesome pods, some bad timing, but some awesome pods. Nonetheless, you know, we had to take an L. The boys had to take a little bit of an L. Last week is the boy. We talked about Jeff Simmons getting five sacks out a high school game and Ryan Tannehill got sacked five times, and so we had to eat a little bit of an L last week. It was tough, but just like always, we danced in the rain, we had fun, and we fought through the adversity. The boys started off a tough oh to one. I think it was tough for everybody out there. And uh, a lot of stray bullets. The boys are catching a lot of straight bullets. I'm catching stray bullets up in the stands. I can't even go home to my family. People are throwing shit at me. And the boys were going through it but again, just like anybody who can withstand any of this pressure, the Boys did because the Boys bounced back in Week two against Seattle and at one of the toughest stadiums to play in against the Seattle Seahawks, and the Boys outed him in OT thirty three thirty. We needed this win bad. We needed been this win bad because of Week one the Boys at Bustin. We needed this win bad. Julio my main Julio needed this win a little bit because of because he needed a bounce back game as well. Speaking of Julio, let's talk about that that that catch that he had that was considered out of bounce and that was a touchdown. Do we have that photo? What's crazy is that we were talking about it at our little birthday bash or a little birthday party yesterday, because yes, sir, it was you know, it was my birthday last Sunday birthday shots to the boy. But we were like, why can't if you challenge a play, why can't you come correct with your own evidence, Like why can't Donald Page or whoever took that photo right, that very high def four K photo and send it in And Ray pulls and pulls out his phone and says, hey, here's all the evidence you need. The heel is in. But what's bullshit to me is like what what? Like? Is the full rule? Is it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I had a tweet? So if you tiptoe and the rest of your body goes out of balance, it's a catch. But if you tiptoe and then your heel goes out of balance, it's not a catch. Jp you weren't there would would would you not agree with that? That was a fair That was a fair assessment. All the boys across the ward were like, hey, that's com Hey, that's comp that's a great point. Comp.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense why it would be any other way.
Speaker 1: Right, So if you toe drag we have tow drag swag all the time, right, you have the little clips of the toes getting in, the body catches the ball way out of balance and they fall. Your body eventually falls out of balance, but your toes in. But if your toes in backwards, the rest of your body still has to fall out of bounce your heels a part of your body. Like, if your toe is in, why is that not a catch? And not to mention, we don't even have to go to the photo because this heel was in, So I don't know, like what angles. What sucks is that the refs don't have to face the media after the game. The rest don't have to give explanation, you know what it's I think it's also shitty for them because I think some refs would like to have some accountability for themselves. Yeah.
Speaker 4: On the broadcast yesterday, they were talking about the officiating crew having a track record of something like Knight teen calls and fifteen of them were reversed.
Speaker 5: So the nineteen times on this one calls and fifteen times skeptical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what all the calls were. Some of them might have been reversible. I know this one shouldn't have been reversed because clearly, as you guys are beautifully watching at home, this photo was taken by the Titans PR. I don't want to say names. I think it was Donald, but maybe it wasn't Donald, so I don't want to accidentally give him credit if somebody else took the photo. But we can assume that Donald took the photo. Hey, shout out Donald, Page Bay shouts the boy baby. But this one shouldn't have been reversed. I truly like I don't get it. And like again, like let's say his heel was out of bounce. I don't understand, like why his toe couldn't have counted going backwards just like it does going forward and the rest of your body goes out of bounce. Uh But either way, thank god the boys bounce back because that was a game. I felt like that was a little game changing call and uh man, we just we needed that win bad. Garrett. Hey, huge Titans fans. We got Garrett, we got Jack. How do you guys feel? How do you guys feel about getting out of Seattle with a win? Getting out of the twelfth Man Arena with a win? A huge win in Seattle? I saw another stab.
Speaker 5: It was like, uh, Seahawks going into the fourth quarter up fourteen or like fifteen to o in the last couple of years. So for us to be able to go in there and do that was massive. Twitter was a graveyard last week. Everybody was taking shots like you and right, left and right, everyone catching trade bullets. We we found out who our real friends were, that's for sure. But it was good to just kind of calm to call We're not we're not gonna out anybody, but Yeah, they were.
Speaker 1: There were some battles with the friends. We talked, Yeah, we had.
Speaker 5: You know, there were text messages being sent to everybody. You know, we were catching blame for a lot of things that the brand, the Boys, the Boys individuals, you know, everybody. We're not even gonna give them any kind of credibility though, any spotlight, because everybody wants to jump ship the first time we have some some bad stuff go down, and so obviously week one we had some things to work out. So it was huge for us to go into Seattle, one of the best teams in the league, one of the best, biggest crowds, play against that twelfth Man and then we got the Julio ordeal and then we had Russell almost with a walk off safety to end it, which is also something that yeah, yeah, you saw that photo where he's like a yard short and that there are just a lot of things with the refs that obviously didn't go our way. Yeah, we were playing against the refs, So it was good to come out with a win. If we didn't have that win, you know, who knows it made Yeah, no, they'd be coming to the bus and.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't have got this one. We're taking the bus. We have to be going somewhere else. Boy, especially we're not like, I'll did you finish your thought? I didn't want to cut you off.
Speaker 5: My fault really, just especially coming back to Nashville this week with the Colts coming divisional game there zero and two. If we're able to put the Colt to oh and three, especially with the track record we have with the Colts, it's gonna be massive for us in the AFC South, and Houston doesn't look you know, as bad as everyone says they do too, So this week coming in, it's got to be loud. Nashville must win. If we can put the Cold to oh and three, us go two and one. We got, you know a lot of that. The naysayers on Twitter talking a lot of shit to us. I think that'll kind of fizzle out.
Speaker 1: So I just don't understand the shit talking by the people on Twitter, especially if you're a fan of I saw somebody say because I said, credit to everybody for I forget what I said. I said, like, credit to everybody for staying you know, staying staying even keel or staying composed throughout the week. And somebody's like, oh, if you didn't have emotions, then you're not a Titans fan. It's like, well, what kind of bullshit is that? So if your wife pisses you off and you don't hit her, that means you don't love her, you know what I mean, you don't get mad. But I'm just saying you don't get like pissed off and like cuss out your significant other if they piss you off, Like, oh baby, that just means I love you. Like what kind of dumb shit is that? Relationship shit? It just means I care about you that much, right right? Yeah, I just don't want I just don't want it. Like, you know, I get it. We started off on one and it was a bad on one. Now we bounced back now and everybody's like, oh, yeah, it was great to see that. I'm glad they you know, I'm glad they bounced back like they were in charge. Like, yeah, they better of or they would have had to meet me type of thing. Like everybody kind of talks that way. And another thing too, is like people taking shots, and I get it. You want to take shots at busting because for whatever, for whatever reason, whether you hate you hate on the boys, you got a little jealousy or envy, you know, with the media people out there. Taylor definitely runs the Twitter account too. That's that's why they're Yeah, people did catch us because Taylor runs our Twitter account. Taylor runs the bus with the Boys Twitter account. So they're right, like Taylor, like he clearly his priorities, blah blah blah, this and that. It just it's just it's so easy. I get it though. It's easy to grab some cloud. Everyone's out there cloud chasing on on social media, myself included. Everyone's sitting everyone who has a profile is doing some cloud chasing because you're there trying to gain status, and to get in any status in this status game, you got to tear somebody down. Busting with the Boys is an easy plug because the boy, you know, I don't even want to say juggles both because he doesn't even really juggle. I know, I was really double and triple downing against old portnoy On saying like juggling both things. But you gotta be careful saying that because people think he prioritizes busting with the Boys over playing football, and everyone who listens and knows anyway, I'm not even preaching to a new choir because our audience was fucking tier one. We got a bunch of day ones out there. Everyone knows that the boy's focused on ball right now. And yeah, I know that the boy was going through it after that game, Like who doesn't like you come off? You have the couple of years and I Number one, he's the boys hard on himself for not having a healthy year last year. He tours Aco last year because he was on pace to you know, be part of the two K season hopefully you know, get that rushing title with Derrick Henry, or get that rushing record with the Boys getting back to his Pro Bowl esque play by after he had the ped year the year before, because he got pop for pds, finished strong, the Boys went to the AC Championship. But the boy was really like down that he didn't get to complete as year last year. So he tears his ACL and he comes back after a long year of just living. Number one, he wanted to come back from the ACL fast, like everybody does when they want to come back from an injury. So as he's learned with the a CL and A and a big surgery like an ACL procedure, you realize, like you know, you kind of have to. You got to give yourself some grace and realize, like you're not gonna You're only gonna come back as fast as your body allows you to. And the boy had a rough first game. Everyone knows it. Nobody's running from it. Like the boy had a tough first game. All the boys had a tough first game. But everyone acts like like his priorities are messed up and that his focus is out of whack and that he's been he's changed everything up, like you see the you see the tweets out there, Oh he looks like a podcaster and this and that because it's just an easy jab to throw. But uh, yeah, the boy had a rough one. But it's like you got to give yourself some grace and realize you're not just gonna come back and be like like maybe you are. I don't want to this, I don't want this to come off wrong, but you got to give yourself some empathy that it's just not gonna happen overnight, Like you're not gonna bounce back and everything's not gonna be out there. He knows that and understands that. I'm more so giving context to everybody listening. That's had all these opinions about the boy that said X, Y and Z that they said all the shit, like, nobody knows what the dudes went through. I've seen it. We had to take our paw, we had to go to Arizona to record some things. And like anytime that that happens, it's always ball first over the podcast. And again, I know people know this is just to give some context because I know people want people are, oh, we should we should be saying something, or we should have Chandler Jones on the bus and saying all this dumb shit that people don't understand like that people just aren't on the inside that knows what goes on. The boy understands what kind of game he had, and he's he's anxious and he's ready to get back out there. It sucked. He had another hiccup again, Like you have a bad game. The first thing you want when you're a player and you have a bad game, you can't wait until you get to the next game to bounce back because you know you're gonna have a bounce back game. You can't wait to get the bad taste out of your mouth because you put some bad stuff on tape, and everyone hates watching themselves do bad shit on film. You think I enjoyed when Rogers saffold almost through many stands, Yes, I can laugh at it and have fun with it. But I'm watching that game and I'm like, motherfucker, I hate that I have that bad shit on tape. When KB caught that ball, Yeah, could I cover it any better? Probably not, But I want to make that play because you don't want to look bad on tape. You don't want people to have shit that have all the petty stuff. You know. I go back and forth and have fun with an embrace and do all the bullshit with it, but you hate putting bad shit on tape. And my coach that after I played the Titans in Oakland that next week, somebody got cut. Preston Brown got cut. He didn't even play that bad. We all played bad. I'm not saying that bad, like he played bad and deserved it. But the Coachlarer looked me in the face and goes, will you think you played good enough for him to get for Preston to get cut just now? And I have to look at him like no, because I knew I played shitty again. Mind you this was when k called that ball and me Roger threw me in the stands, like had a bad outing, had a bad day, laid up sleepless nights like I can't wait to get to the next game to get this bad taste out of my mouth. That's all it is. That's all it is when you have a bad game, like the Titans knew, all the boys knew, like they weren't the same team that they put on film on week one. It's just you got to get back, have some accountability, have some optimism going into the next week, and you bounce back. That's what you do. You don't dwell and make excuses like you know a lot of Twitter does, and a lot of people that are down bad due you dwell in the situation. You don't see the big picture for what it is though. The ones who get over it, like the Titans did. You have accountability, you have optimism. I know the boy wanted to bounce back this week and again he hypercentded his knee. We have the clip that people, you know, people saw that. You know you're again anxious to get back out there and restart, like, hey, let's put week one behind us. Let's go in the week two, then you hypersend your knee, so you can only imagine what the boy like. It just fucking sucks. But like we always say, like we like to say to each other, like hey, nobody's coming to save you. The boy knows, and I know he'll be ready to go. I know I'm talking about him a lot, and I'm kind of like, I feel like, do I sound like I'm speaking for him?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, Okay, I gotta want to speak for him. There's so many different types of red tape and stuff that you want to step around to make sure you don't fucking mess up. So people have fucking clips and shit like that for it. But that's just giving you guys context on the situation because the people who talk about the podcast and the stuff anything other than football just have no clue the lifestyle that the boy actually lives and and you know what what he goes through on the daily band says, and what that entire team does, because everybody was going for everybody's head after that first game. Moving one, the Raiders are two, and oh we got some heat cooking up for the boys too, Like we can't where you know, I learned after week one. I can't just ride this wave. I can't just ride this roller coaster. The boy's got to he's got to look at he's got to look into what's best for his family, for his uh, for my skin out there on social media. I gotta look out for what's best for the boy. I gotta stay safe out there, So I'm gonna hop on. You know, you gotta hop on the bandwagons of the teams you play for. People like, oh, you're just picking the teams that you played for, Like okay, sick, you can't do that, like you know what I mean? Like dudes just like mad because I get to go, Oh, the Raiders, I know a lot of those boys. Let me just go out in the woodworking and pick the Raiders. But we got some merch cooking up for the Raiders fans, for the the tier ones, them Raider tier ones that we got on this pop Baby, we love you, and we're making some hot merch that you guys are gonna be able to pick up. It might be out already and if not, probably come out to night maybe tomorrow, maybe Friday, just like with our Spootober shirts, which you guys are crushing. By the way, those things are heaters. I'm wearing one right now. This is my favorite one. The White Crew. But the face ones what do we call them? The caricature, the self porcher ones. That's a banger, the self portraits. Yeah, chilly roll as jelly roll the best our spootover merches out. We're gonna have some fun stuff in the works for Spectober.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But you can get our merch obviously. You guys know where stored up barstool sports dot com. All of our merches out there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we got some stuff cooking up for the Raiders room, might get some stuff going. You know what I like? I like uh, I like lean. I like being able to watch the boys in Nebraska. Now. I like being able to have my saturdays free to watch the boys in Nebraska. We were down bad and there are again there are no moral victories. I'm gonna keep saying that there's no moral victories. But the boys played their ass off against Oklahoma. I'm stoked from the build off of this number one. They should have beat Oklahoma. What Jack, what's so funny?
Speaker 5: I'm just invested with you because we've talked about it. Because I'm a Tennessee fan, I feel like Tennessee, Nebraska the Michigan's.
Speaker 1: We're all in this same boat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where it's like we're historic programs, but the last decade have been shitty. Yeah, by the way to put it, so like, I feel like I'm living like an alternate reality through you with Nebraska as tnc and so it's just like I for all of us, baby, I want us all you want.
Speaker 1: But hey, I'm telling you, man, Alex. You didn't get to watch the game, did you. No, I just saw you on Twitter. If the boys make the field goals, and I don't want to do I don't want to attack the kid. He's just a kid. He's just a boy. I know he's going through some tough shit, the kicker. But when we make those kicks, if we make those field goals and that extra point, because you got to remember, the extra point got taken back to the house for an extra two points. That was a three point swing right there on an extra point after putting up a good tuddy. And we make those kicks and that extra point, we're winning the game. Like we're beating number three Oklahoma. We're storming the field. Because the rivalry is now the rivalry's back. And don't you remember back earlier in the off season, Oklahoma was trying to back out of the game against Nebraska. They weren't trying to play the Boys. The Boys like, no, no, we got to keep this game alive. We got we're playing these guys. So Oklahoma tried backing out. They play the game, they get lucky, they beat us because we beat ourselves in the first drive too out of mind you we had to settle for a field goal. Fortunately we made that one, but we had five penalties, four or five penalties in the first drive. We don't get those penalties were probably gonna score a touchdown and put the game even more out of reach. We should have been up like sixteen seven at a half time, and then you probably run away with it thirty four fourteen. At the end of the year, I can't even keep the straight face anymore. Like just just talk so much ninsense, talk so much nonsense. But no, for real, I was. I was like optimistic after that game. I felt like the Boys started off. We lost to Illinois. We kind of you know, we made make a wish happen for Illinois, and I'm happy about that. You know, take a lot of pride in being charitable. But I thought we were down bad a little bit. Who do you have next week with the boys? The boys? The boys, I almost bounce back against against Oklahoma. They put up a good fight out there. There are no moral victories though. This next week we got Michigan State. What does that mean? I don't know what that means. You were like, who do they got next week? They got Michigan State? They got twenty Michigan State. I think that it's a very beatable Michigan State team, very beatable. I don't know much about them, but I think they're very beatable. I can't go on and talk about what the schemes they do and everything else because I'm not an analyst. I think Michigan State's beatable. I know a lot of those defensive coaches over there, so maybe I need to like hit up our offensive guys and and talk about like what they run and shit like that because a lot of them are my old college coaches. And I was thinking about going back to the to the homecoming game. Is that that's not this week? No, it's at Michigan State.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The next time game is October second, against Northwestern Oh and then October ninth against Michigan. Ooh, maybe go and make an appearance at the Michigan game. See if Portnell will get the college Game Day crew. There were like, hey, let's like, let's make a little deal out of Michigan Nebraska. We'll go were they But it's Dave. He's all Michigan really not the role. Get the cameras, see what kind of feel passes we can get. It was up to all the tier ones out there, all the Nebraska fans listening. What'd you say, Garrett?
Speaker 4: I was just throwing our boys' name out there, a little shout out.
Speaker 1: Who was it? Awesome? Winfrey shout out Ausome Winfree, you're a boys all free shoutouts. Yeah. I feel like we need to get to uh, we need to get to a Nebraska game. Since I got all this free time with my hands, it's tough, like just rooting for all these teams, several teams, I felt like I need to go actually support them in person, you know what I mean, outside of just the tailgates, which, by the way, we're gonna have another tailgate this weekend and act me go to it. We're gonna hay those shirts that you guys there were. You know what, my hand's up on this. I promoted a shirt not long ago and it was the boys shirt. Phenomenal, great shirt, the oiler colors, like, the shirt is a banger, And we can only get like fifteen made because the warehouse was lowish low on the quantity, right, so we couldn't get him printed and get him, couldn't get him to us fast enough. But I was told Barcel, I was like, just send me the fifteen. We'll just do a little thing at the tailgate. I didn't know that it was gonna be like shirt of the year, you know what I mean? Like I got to Act ME on Sunday? Who was I with? Was I with JP? And the line is wrapped around Act Me without the doors opening yet doors open at ten o'clock like the actual ACTME doors open at ten o'clock. But there's a line wrapped around and people are wanting that shirt, people wanting that the boy's shirt. And I'm sitting there going in thinking, fuck me, I did that video. Everyone thinks we got these shirts at the tailgate, and the shirts were gone in the first fifteen purchases by five that's what I'm saying. I didn't even know that. Yeah, so like everybody who was probably in the back of the line, like damn, they sold out already. Hey they're popular. Like that person who's probably sixth in line, that's probably like he didn't get a shirt, Like, what the fuck's going on? I literally got here at nine am. But we're restocking everything. Everything will be restocked. If there's one thing the boys learned about, it's hey, we need to have shit stocked. Last year was the COVID year, so we did like and the year before that, the boys were like newer, so we we just weren't slingk merch like the boys have been slinging merch. And last year was the COVID year, so you just the numbers were lower. The numbers were low, we were capped off, so stuff flew out. And I've realized, like, I can't do the fans like that because you guys come to that tailgate. I need to have this merch ready for you guys. So there will be those new shirts. You'll be able to get them at the tailgate. We will not be short. I want to say, I promise, but I gotta I still gotta you know. Make I gotta make clear with Alison. I gotta make I gotta make clear with barstool first. I almost promise, I had ninety percent promise. Should we have a should we do an ad? Read? Yep? Who is it? Who? Do we get better help? This is perfect for us right now because we're all down bad. We could use some help. Uh better help, betterhelp dot com shout out the boys at better Help. The best way to think about therapy is through a bunch of analogies. Do am I supposed to read that? Yeah? Okay, I didn't know if I was supposed to give it an okay, okay, okay, okay. We get our cars tuned up and even bigger issues down the road. Okay, let me say that one again. We get our cars tuned up to prevent bigger issues down the road. You saw this one coming. We get annual checkups and go to the gym to maintain physical wellness and prevent injury and disease. We do chores regularly, some of us anyways, to avoid a giant mess of a house and eventually cockroaches. Going to therapy is like all of the above. It's routine maintenance for your mental and emotional wellness to prevent bigger issues down the road. We're we're having Spencer Leon, he didn't get ACL surgery. But there's this good ACL analogy. And it's not because fucking Taylor E. They're for the love of god, I'm realizing this whole I'm digging. But I have one of my business my business advisor, financial guy. He always talks about like having like tough conversations, Like you want to have tough conversations. It's like getting ACL surgery. If you don't get surgery on this big injury, I shouldn't even say ACL should just a big injury whatever, um making a big deal. But ACL one, I don't even need to. But you fixed the problem so that way you're not dealing with them down the road. Just like the big analogies we use in the beginning, I didn't even have to go to that one. But therapy doesn't mean something's wrong with you. It means you're investing in yourself to keep your mind healthy. And Barstool Sports agrees they're offering better Help services to their employees as an added benefit to help take care of their overall well being. Better Help is customized online therapy that offers video phone and even live chat sessions with your therapists, so you don't even have to see anyone on camera if you don't want to. It's a much more affordable than in person therapy, and you can start communicating with your therapists in under forty eight hours. Why invest in everything else and not your mind? This podcast is sponsored by Better Help and our listeners get ten percent off their first month at betterhelp dot com. Slash bussing. That's b E T T E r h E l P dot com slash bustin. It's Tough Boys Spencer Lee. So we had Spencer Lee. He flew in from Iowa. He's a an Iowa wrestler. He's making his way to the Mount rushmore of wrestling. I feel like I feel like there's a lot of talks out there, a lot of stories out there of the boy becoming one of the best wrestlers of all time if he locks in the forts Natty going in after this year, saying he goes undefeated. I'm putting a lot of pressure on the boys saying all that stuff. But he is. Spencer Lee's a three time national champion. He's went all three years, going for his fourth in a row this year. A two time Dan Hodges Trophy winner. And for those who are football fans and not wrestling fans, that Dan Hodges' Trophy is just like the Heisman. So he's a two time Heisman winner, already two time Big Ten Wrestler of the Year, James E. Sullivan Award winner. That's the best athlete in America? Was that this year? I believe it was last year. Yeah, he's the kid who he went viral for talking about tearing his ACL. He tours ACL in the Big Ten Championship. Eight days later won the national title in the NCAA's on a torn ACL not fixed. He talks about it in this podcast. He was in the facility like nine hours a day, doing three three hour workouts. He's won thirty five straight matches, outscoring his opponents four hundred and thirty two to just forty two damn points. That is insane. He's seventy five and five. What do he say he lost twice his freshman or three times or sophomore year. Yeah, that's tough. Seventy five and five fifteen and oh at NCAA championships. But this is an awesome interview. You guys are going to enjoy it. He's an I will wrestler. I know that is brutal, trust me, it pains me. But we only want the best on the bus, and this boy lives up to that caliber. He's cut from a different cloth. The dude has some insane stories. But you guys are really gonna like Spencer Lee. Rate review. If you guys are watching right now on YouTube, please leave a comment in the real comments, not just the live chat. Love you guys in the live chat. You guys are doing phenomenal. But click x on the live chat, go to the real comments. Leave a real comment for the day, ones for the tier, ones for the boys always in forever. Subscribe get our merch. You guys know where it is. Yeah, here's a Spencer the interview. All right, Spencer Lee, appreciate you coming on the bus. Sorry if I get a little I already feel too formal. All right, welcome to the bus. You know, Oh, so your eligibility. I was looking up your stuff and I was getting confused because it looks like he's wrestled for four years, but he's a three term very and now I know he's going for a fourth so explain, explain, like, what the where your eligibility is at?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the one year, I h, we competed the entire season, and so we had our Big Ten tournament and then the next week or two weeks there would be nationals and four days four nationals. They canceled into the tournament. So I did wrestle my fourth years, but with the COVID happening, they actually just gave us all another year if you weren't a senior ready. So I, oh, so this this last year didn't count towards eligibility, So I was technically a senior this year, but didn't counter towards my eligibility. Like, so now I'm a super senior almost, I'm a fifth year.
Speaker 1: Ser Yeah, to be a nightmare again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one more year, Yeah, some more year.
Speaker 1: That's why that's bad. Uh, that's bad research on my part, knowing that the because the spring athletes got canceled because baseball did. Yeah, you guys definitely did. Damn. Okay, that makes sense. That makes sense. So I want to read do you have all his accolades on here? Because it's it's too long of a list to even memorize and rattle off. I actually had your stuff pulled up. Dude. The ship's insane, man, the stuff that you've accomplished. And you know, look, I'm a football guy. Any anybody, any wrestler fans that we accumulate by having this by listening to this podcast and all the eye with faithful listening right now, Like I'm a little ignorant now in the wrestling game. My brother he went to Nebraska wrestling, so we're we're a wrestling family. But the stuff for anybody not familiar with wrestling, the dude that we have on the bus right now. Number one, he was the kid who tore both of his acls and won the Natty on two torn acls. Right, yeah, So we'll talk about that. We'll get fired up. Trust me, we've got enough. The boys will be can your ego enough? But the dude is like, you're a three timer right going for your fourth, which you would if if listen. I know, coach, what's a coach you name? Coach Brand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, coach Brands, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Coach Brands. They've they're twins too, They're ferocious. I visited there when I was getting recruited, and I'm sitting here thinking in my mind, now I'm about to start talking about.
Speaker 3: Myself, and says, I'd rather you talk about yourself.
Speaker 1: So when we were going through the recruiting process, Cody, my brother Cody, he was a senior national champion coming out of high school. He's a stud, the boy Cody, Cody was a stud. And we did this unofficial recruiting trip where I went to Missoo, first Uh, Nebraska, and Iowa, like all in the same week with my family and all Missoo. All those three schools were also recruiting my brother Cody because they knew that I wanted to go to a school also Illinois. They knew I wanted to go to a school to where Cody could also wrestle there too. So when we went to Iowa, it was after the Nebraska visit. Nebraska is just their facilities are insane. And then I go to Iowa. I know their football facilities are better now, George Kittle, I get it, they're better now, But back then, it was like it wasn't even close. It was black and white. Like I was like, yeah, these guys have no shot. But I knew the wrestling program obviously. I was like the greatest arguablyeve Nebraska, but uh yeah, but we win. You know, I'm meeting the brothers, the brands, dude, and uh dude, they're just fiery. Like wrestling like is just a different It's just a different world. You guys are all fucking crazy. Yeah, like what we would uh we would have wrestling bouts at uh parties in college when I was at Nebraska. You don't, you know, you can speak on whatever you want to speak on. But the football team, we'd have all the boys together, and the football team would think that they could beat the wrestlers. I'm sure you've dealt with your fair share of guys who are heavy and you thinking they can wrestle with you. And dudes would circle up outside in the front lawn. We're at a house party, right, dudes are We're circling up, putting the lights on the putting the lights on the grass. People are circling up all around to make a little ring. Football players would go out there and wrestle these dudes. Me I'm smart. I stood back because I knew what time it was, I knew what was gonna happen. Dudes are getting hip toss left and right. We got our You know, one twenty five pounder toss in our freaking one corner like it was our linebackers getting in there getting tossed by like a one to fifty fifty seven. Yeah, one fifty seven pounders just getting dummied, And hey, will you're gonna get out there against Cody like that's my brother, and it's like fuck no, I'm goin getting out there against Cody. That's fight.
Speaker 3: Was that what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right? And Mike Chandler came on one time he hip tossed Blaine Gabbert. They said they did it at Miszoo. Have you ever wrestled a football player? Have they ever wanted to challenge you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I've had a few joke around, But are you No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't deal with that.
Speaker 1: I'm not. You don't ever say let's scrap a little bit. No, I mean I might.
Speaker 3: I might mess around, like grabbing, because a lot of the football players that I with their wrestlers too, So like you know how wrestlers get each other are always grabbing and messing around. You know, you know you ever see wrestlers you ever see you ever see rst of greed? We're just grabbing your arm, or we're walking up behind you.
Speaker 1: Taking a guy, start working in control up.
Speaker 3: That's how wrestler's greed. They're just it's like people look at you weird because but us like we're just naturally grabbing you like no problem.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen the full players?
Speaker 3: And oh yeah, yeah, I watched. I watched one of our backup heavyweights kind of get launched by a football player. They were they were there one. Yeah he did because well he was the state CHAMPI in high school. Not to you know, but you know, they had wrestled in high school, and the restaur obviously had won all their matchups. But I think they were a little gone, you know. I think I think someone was a little they're they're having some fun and yeah he got he got thrown. So I've seen that video a lot, and I'm not going to name names. I don't want to make him feel better.
Speaker 1: There's a video out there, Yeah, there's a video Welcome to the Busting with the boys.
Speaker 3: He I don't know if you're gonna be able to find it. It was it was like a video.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that Oklahoma video? What was the was it a football player?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was an m m A guy.
Speaker 3: Okay, awesome, awesome.
Speaker 1: No, I wanted to say, the football player like shoved him right, and then the dude was like kind of like are he like kind of like hit his face and kind of rubbed his face like okay, motherfucker, and then just dropped him. It was actually the guy who got dropped right. The m m A guy finished it. The other guy started it. Yeah, this one right here just getting his as. I'll tell you what though, being around the wrestling culture, wrestlers they want ship like this when they go out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, wrestlers. They're they're they're not looking for trouble, but right they'll they'll kind of adhere to it. They'll they'll kind of push things right the gas Oh yeah, but they're like no, no, no, no, but they they'll kind of keep it going. And then because well, yeah, they want you to mess with the wrestlers. Wrestlers, you know, they know what they're capable of, and at the same time, they also think they're even more capable of what they really are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then you get a few of them together and then you're kind of hyping. I don't know, he don't know exactly like, no, he doesn't fucking know.
Speaker 3: I feel like every wrestler is like little Man syns room. You know, I commend Spencer for saying that I'm not. I'm not running down Listen, listen. I'm I'm a one twenty five pounder in college. I'm five foot three, I'm small. I know my place. I'm not going to fight some two hundred and fifty pounds you know, linebacker right somebody place. But my teammates will. My teammates don't.
Speaker 1: Crazy man say, would you say you have a little man syndrome?
Speaker 3: I do not. I'm I'm I'm a lover, not a fighter, you know, the one so the only time, only time I'm mean is when that whistle blows. Other than that, I'm pretty nice. My teammates are very different though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Theyn't fight anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you go to one of the wrestler house parties and that's just just stay on parties this whole time, wrestler house party and these dudes you'll go in, They'll be full team, will be there, maybe their girlfriends maybe not. They don't even need women there. They just need to be shirtless with a bandanna on their head and a beer in their hand talking about wrestling and cawflower rear? Is that fair?
Speaker 3: I don't know about our team. I've heard stories about previous teams. Though I was I was, I was pretty big party school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I knew because Nebraska. Like my brother and I we lived together, and he'd be like, oh, no, we're going to go to We're gonna go to a Yeah, yeah, we're gonna go to a wrestler's house. And they'll be like, hey, what do you guys do we're thinking about going out. We might swing by, you know the pregame, we might swing by there before we go out. And you go to the to the wrestler house and it's just like, hey, boys, what are we doing in here? Like we're the chicks Like these days you just want to play like beer pong and compete about you know games, and like, hey, you want to wrestle, And then they start fucking wrestling.
Speaker 3: The competitive nature is so stupid. They'll they'll play Madden and they'll throw the controller and break TVs. Like my teammates are so funny, like they're just there's the it's they hate each other. They'll get in the fist fights and then they'll be smiling, laughing five minutes later.
Speaker 1: It's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 3: Oh I love this different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're probably all about it.
Speaker 3: Different breed man. They just think differently.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your this double A c L story that went viral, and it was the one thing I wanted to give George Kittle credit for because he's an Iowa guy, is that you were out there talking about what was your famous quote? What was your famous line?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I said, excuses excuse for That's right, I said that was my that was my look.
Speaker 1: At it backwards, ad on when I say, he looked like Pablo Sanchez. If there's backyard rest, people can hear it. If we had our headset on, we'd be able to hear what you're saying. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I played the audio.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean eight days ago, I tore my a c L am I either knee, I'm wrestling with no A c LS And you know whatever, man, I didn't want to tell anyone because excuses excuses are for Russ And you know what, that was a tough term for me.
Speaker 1: I could barely.
Speaker 2: Wrestle, I could barely shoot. I can't sprawl, you know what. I believe in my coaching staff and everyone that believed in me, and.
Speaker 3: Here I am. So here you guys go.
Speaker 1: How did you handle the self doubt?
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean there was no doubt. It was just hey, no one else you are you. I was just so fired up.
Speaker 1: You should be. You want to for the championship eight days after tearing an a c L. I get being uncontroled. Trust me. When there's compliments, JP gives them to me a lot. I get gets your man uncomfortable and uh the biggest fan. Yeah, JP's he's a he's a tier one of the boys. But uh, I understand you feeling like you know, I know you're in the moment. But dude, number one, how did you tear your a c l Oh?
Speaker 3: I tore it in the middle of the Big Ten Finals first, like thirty seconds in the match.
Speaker 1: Did everybody know it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I knew immediately I tore it. I was kind of like he took me. The guy actually scored on me, and then my nose I started bleeding or something. I remember running over the corner and I'm like my sail was torn, and I'm like I'm like feeling I'm like, oh yeah, I was like, I blew it out and but I still have like the whole first period to go next two periods and I'm losing. You know, I got taken down first, which like never really happens to me, so I was kind of like, so well, I was like but like I saw him like all confused. I'm like what's going on, Like, yeah, what just happened? And my coach is like in my face and I'm trying to tell him like hey, I tore my a cl and he grasps me and he's like he's like wake up, and I'm like okay, and I just remember going back to the middle and keep wrestling. And I never told him I tore my a cl. So I ended up I ended up winning the match twenty one to two. So he scored two points and I end up waiting twenty yees. So I scored.
Speaker 1: I scored the dude duo was up on you two zip or two one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, two zero, and then I ended like so I scored twenty one straight points and I run off the mat and I'm like just trying to tell them about knee and they're like, awesome match, you good, let's get ready for Nationals and I'm like, I'm like Tom. Tom's like what because I stopped and we had guys in the files of thirty three forty one, like we were just go boom. So he's getting ready for his coach. I'm like I'm like Tom, I'm like, I tore my a CL. He's like your other D. I'm like, yes, my other D. He's like what and he was gone, next thing, you know, and I got you know, doctors and they're they're feel my knee out, and then doctor Westerman and doctor Peter like yeah, yeah, he goes. He's like I'm ninety percent SUREY tore e c L. And I was like, I was like, I know it's torn, Okay, you don't have to tell me. It's like we need to get Amri tomorrow. I'm like, no, we don't eat memory. I was like, I know it's tour and he's like no, we you know what else he did, I'm like, I know, I know what's wrong. I just didn't want to know. Really, you know, I didn't actually want to know what was wrong with my knee. But I was like, I know it's torn. And that was kind of like what happened.
Speaker 1: So did you get an MRI the next Yeah.
Speaker 3: Next day and there's you know, completely torn a cl just clean the al yea, nothing else. I was very fortunate. They always tell me, you know, it's my third time tearing a cl and I only ever tore in a c L very clean, you know, as clean as it can get. They always tell me. So I guess I got Really, I'm really good at tearing things very cleanly.
Speaker 1: This yeah, just Taylor catching a stray bullet. Hope not shout out Fight Camp. No free shout outs. Fight Camp. Have you ever wanted to learn how to box or kickbox from real fighters? Do you want to get your kids involved in a fitness journey with you while teaching them a valuable skill. Fight Camp brings the boxing and kickboxing gym right to your home, with full body workouts that you'll actually look forward to and a free standing punching bag that can take your hardest hits. It's great for kids. Fight Camp is one of the only home workouts that are safe for kids to do because there are no heavy weights and no spinning wheels. As soon as most people get their fighting Camp bag, the kids are always the first to walk up and want to try it. Of course, to the kids that the boys they want to get in some action. Their panci need to get this for them for Halloween, for Thanksgiving, for Christmas. Learn from six highly qualified trainers, all with real fight experience, ranging from a pro MMA fighter and mother of two to a kickboxing champion. Fight Camp uses new tech that tracks each punch you throw to measure speed, volume, and output so you can follow your progress. Push yourself, push yourself, compete, push yourself compete on the community leader board and challenge others to do you versus you on the new versus mode. You can pay for your fight camp over twenty four months for less than a cost of a boxing gym and get it right away. Plus, fight Camp offers free shipping with a thirty day money back guarantee. Just go to joinfightcamp dot com slash busting and the boys got you for some free shipping with a thirty day money back guarantee. What a deal. Go to fight caamp dot com slash buzzle. So did you have you had another? You tore your other ACL before you tore that one.
Speaker 3: And instaly finals two years prior.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when you went into the see when you went into the Nationals this year, you only had one actual torn a c L at the moment.
Speaker 3: Well, they're still my right and he's still torn.
Speaker 1: You didn't get it fix?
Speaker 3: No, I never got fixed.
Speaker 1: What the fun? I uh, why didn't you? Well? I was down too old. Then I told my and there like he's like, let's go, and I'm like, okay, go to the middle of the Matt and I went twenty two to two.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing was, I had surgery with an awesome doctor and he was pittsgh Steel's doctor, doctor Bradley, so he so I was at a great doctor and he did an awesome job. But I ended up just freak accident tearing it again in the NS away finals and like the second period U finals.
Speaker 1: And uh, I was like, and this was yours is my sophomore year.
Speaker 3: So when I won my second way, I tore it in the second period just randomly. Like the guy who was like Matt returning me like from I was standing up and like pull me backwards, and then he just gave up, and I was like, I was upsex I'm like, I I got surgery, and he felt hundred percent wasn't wearing a brave nothing boom, just tear it again. You know, A year and two months after I have surgery. You know, I've only been healthy for like four months really, you know, you know how surgery goes. Day seals like you're healthy, but like you really start feeling good after like ten months, and so I'm like, I don't want to get surgery. I was like, I'll just see how I do. And I just kept wrestling with it, and I wore brace all year and now it's pretty strong.
Speaker 1: So that's so when you when you tore your a sale in that sophomore match, were you up? Were you winning or losing? At that point?
Speaker 3: I was winning, Yeah, I was winning a I think I was doing two zero, but he rode me out and I got like a stall call. So I got like a point for stalling because I made him. He was stalling the first pier when I took him down, and so I end up waiting a match I think five zero in that match, and he chose neutral. I took him down. So that was pretty.
Speaker 1: JP and wrestling. Like you're gonna hear phrases like ride me out. It's a wrestling phrase, So don't be fucking childish, back there.
Speaker 3: He's gonna make fun of me. I got.
Speaker 1: Ride me out.
Speaker 3: It relaxed, right.
Speaker 1: So at any of these moments, like we've all obviously seen a bunch of guys who tear a cls. I've been fortunate. I've only told with PCL But was were you just not battling pain like with the like I don't know, Like I see some days they can't walk right after. Sometimes there are gentle ones going and then they don't feel till later. And I some guys walk into surgery obviously they can't like play football, play their sport and they get surgery to repair it. Like, are you not experiencing pain like after you tear your a.
Speaker 3: C L Well, yeah, there's there's I mean the pains really from like the swelling and like you know, you're exploding off of it early like just stuff like that. So I mean there was more pain at the insulay turn, but there would be like like like now like if you wait like six months, right right, So, but I mean it's not really the pain, it's more like you can't do things like like if my buddies wanted to go play like spike ball, I can't play spike ball like I don't want to.
Speaker 1: It's a good game.
Speaker 3: Hurt myself, right, yeah, like the student stinks like so it's like more like that, like there are things that inhibit you, like like when I said in the interview, like, oh, I can't shoot, I can't spur al, I can't you know, I really couldn't do anything, like I was basically just like walking at the guy like a like a robot and was just trying to get my hands on him so I could move him with my hands rather than being able to explode, like I tackle the guy and you get to it. Just like the way I wrestled, I couldn't do it and it was just is and I really couldn't because really messed me up. Was Yeah, my right knee was good, felt good. But after you hurt your left knee, you're doing everything again with your right name my right niece. I hurt me again. So I'm trying to just stay completely. My whole goal was stay healthy. At the national tournament, I was just trying to say as healthy as I could with a yeah when they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both with a torn a cl.
Speaker 3: Well, my sport's a little different than football. I don't have to cut or explode or run, you know for sure and stayed that you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah for sure, But it's still like the way you have to plant and do everything else, Like all it takes is for your shoe to get caught a little bit on the mat to damage it even more, like kind of put you out. But I'm like so curious about even the pain the pain factor too. Obviously, Yeah, you're you're a tough SLB. Yeah, but like I mean, eight days after tearing an a cl right, yeah, yeah, I am a bad Uh. The first one when you toured at the NCAA tournament, obviously, I was a championship, so you won, so it's like, hey, it's all good at least. Yeah, when we got out of it, were you feeling more pain after that one than you were this one?
Speaker 3: I would definitely say, my this this one hurt more than the one two years ago, I think. But the one two years ago I already had sergery on, I had a graphing it. I was doing physical therapy for like three years, you know. You know, I feel like after I tore that one again, I still had like a lot of like stuff in my knee keeping it strong. So if I mean I was able to do like I mean, my my my trainers and my my doctors, they were always kind of like making fun of me because as soon as I tear it, I they do all the test like whether or not you have an ACL tearing up without an MRI. And I could do everything. I could you know, one one legged squad. I could explode, I could jump, I could cut you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but.
Speaker 3: The instance was as soon as like it did, it did give out. Like the instance like if you posted wrong, boom, like I would just fall in the ground and you know that that would hurt like crazy. Then mine you would swollow up and then you're getting it drained and you're icing it again. You're going you know, you don't want to go backwards. So like it was really I mean, it was a long process. I mean, surgery is a long time. Not having surgery still a long process to you.
Speaker 1: So uh and then the eight day one when you had eight days, like what protocols were you kind of doing to kind of keep yourself out of the weeds of like it acting up. Oh, because you can kind of like you probably want to train a little bit for the NC double as, but at the same time, you're probably kind of in shape. I guess, yeah, it's like what are you doing in those eight days to keep swelling down and making sure you're ready to go? Like for the freaking national tournament.
Speaker 3: I I had, those were eight days were pretty much like living hell to be honest. I mean I was doing three three hour workouts a day basically still every day. Well, my workouts, I couldn't wrestle, so I would have to go in and I do my physical therapy would be like to strengthen my quad. It be flexing my quad, be doing like stem. I'd be doing you know, exercises where I'm firing my quada. Just want to fire your quad, you know, because that's keeping the swelling out and you're keeping the muscles from atrophy, because once swelling starts, atro feed after like twelve hours, actually starts happening to lose muscle. That's bad for the Obviously you don't want to lose muscle. So I mean I'll be doing like physical therapy for like an hour and a half because I had warmed like three minutes on a bike, and then I'd have to you know, I'd do like jumps and just flex my quad and like, and then I'd have to do my workout. The coaches then put me through an hour and a half workout so I could keep my in shape, keep you know, and then I have to you know, I'd go home and I basically I had like an hour and a half to sleep, and I'd sleep and I'd go back in and then i'd hour half a therapy into another hour and a half of a workout. Then I have to go in at night for like my weight way to keep my weight down, because my weight's always really good. I'm a big guy at my weight class. But for me, it was really hard because you go from wrestling every day and being able to run because I ran a lot. I loved running. That was like my way to like keep my weight down, keeping shape, And now I can't run. Yeah, I could every step hurt to run. I couldn't run a treadmill to save my life. So now I have to bike and I have to like aerodyne, and I have to for an hour and half and then I half, you know, I couldn't even jump ro but so like I was you know, arm road machines, everything whatever it could do to like another hour and a half and then I have to do physical theory beginning with ice in my knee and stem and quad every day for like eight days straight, like I was. I literally lived in Carverhock Arena like for like almost nine hours a day, just trying to keep my knee from swelling and to keep in shape and to keep my weight down. Like it was just constant, like, and my teammates are they're they're they're like getting ready for Nash termas, so they're they're tapering, they're not coming in as much, they're they're staying off the mat there. So I'm in there nine hours a day and they're in there for like an hour and a half two hours a day. So like it was just like they never saw that thing because I was always in at different times than everyone else because of COVID, right and everything. So I was the only guy, one of the two guys in my team who didn't get COVID, So I was actually trained different times everyone else because they were trying not so I wouldn't get COVID. That's the only way you lose, right, So I was just like it was just like you're in it. Yeah, I didn't have time to do school, like it was either sleep or do homework, and I was I was homework. It was I was begging my teachers like hey, just let me do my homework late, like please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a student athlete, I'm not trying to do homework. We're trying to win championship.
Speaker 3: School supported too, that right, he school's important support everybody. Yep, yeah, that's first first thing.
Speaker 1: Bro, Yay, that's nuts man. Then you get to the tournament, right, And so are you nervous about your first match?
Speaker 3: I hadn't rustled, right, That's why I don't even know how my knee felt, right.
Speaker 1: So were you nervous like going into your first match? I don't know how this thing's gonna wrap because again this isn't You don't have the graph, you don't have the stuff that you rehabbed on your other a c L like this is a new a CL, like nothing's happened to that lake. So were you nervous going into like the national tournament thinking like yeah.
Speaker 3: So they had to get me a brace, so they get me fitted and then the brace came in like two days before nationals. So I never wore the brace before on my left knees. So and then you tape. I always tape my knee. Then I put a brace on, but then it's your knees so stiff from the tape and the brace being so tight, I can't I call bet my legs like here like it was like so I can't even like I couldn't really do anything with it. So I'm trying to like drill before like my match, to see how it felt, and I could like barely drill, and like then my knee would like give out one time, like before you know, money would give out. So then we're trying to make sure it's not swelling. And and my coach is like, okay, you're good, you'll be fine, you'll be fine. We'll just warm you up like on a bike. So I'm warm on a bike, and then take my knee, put in the brace on. Then I'm going out to wrestle, you know, And I'm like, I have no idea what's gonna happen. So I got out there to wrestle, and I ended up getting a quick takedown. I turned the guy and I got off the mac quick. I'm like, ohyah, that's good. That that's the play, and that's what we want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I got off the mask fast like could. That was the That's what I wanted to do. But that didn't end up happening to the rest of the tournament. All my matches went the full distance after that, so I I had to learn how to.
Speaker 1: Were you ever in pain when all this stuff is happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean during the match, you know how it is adrenaline Like I was fine, but like my more and more problem was like I didn't have the ability to do things like a guy. I remember I got taken down like twice by a kid in the second round, and both times I don't even remember how I even got scored on. I'm like, I'm just like wrestling. I'm wrestling, and he like grabbed my ankle and pulled out. Next thing, I'm on my stomach, like my knee just like I couldn't do it, Like I just fell over. I'm like, oh, shoot the top of me, and I'm like trying to get away. I'm like, what the heck just happened. It's just like there are things that happened, and then you come off the mat and then you know, after pulling your knee out and your knee hurts. Then you're going back home, you're doing the stem, you're doing the ice, still flexing. Then you gotta make the weight and you still got to compete the next day. So it's like I was constantly like just doing these things, and it's just like no one sees that. They just see the the interview, right like.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, no, excuse sound just.
Speaker 3: Just did yeah no, but there's always more to it.
Speaker 2: So ye.
Speaker 1: Apologize. Yeah my bed is it good though? Okay? All right, cool, so you win. Now what's the thought process? This is the same thing thinking I don't want to have surgery on this a cl like why haven't why why hadn't you wanted to fix this knee?
Speaker 3: I just you know, I I said, you know, my right knee feel was good. So if I can ever get to that point, you know, so.
Speaker 1: You're you you're writing feels good right now? Yeah, and there's a toy. You don't have a CLS in either, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I could. I can even people don't believe me, Like I remember, like ESPN posted that and I don't really like reading comments because people are mean, right, So I remember I love that? So yeah, there no that God everyone knows everything right. So I remember clicking on a couple just like I was like, oh, you know, I had a lot. I kind of I didn't even know ESPN. I never been a ESPN before. You wrestlers aren't usally on ESPN. I was like, okay, this might be kind of cool. I'm reading the comments. This guy's faking it. No way, he's lying. I'm like, I'm like, I'll post my my my, I'll screenshot my medical like no, he like slapped hair noise or whatever. You know, I don't even know the term or anything, but I love.
Speaker 1: That, like the innocence and genuine of just like no, you know, I don't. I wanted to read the comments. I thought it was cool being an ESPN. But I looked and people are mean something. I probably shouldn't read this thing.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's okay. I mean I made on ESPN. I'm happy.
Speaker 1: You know. That's the mind. That's the mind we all need. Like, yeah, well, let's just not even dive into this at the bottom fears. No, I'm not on Twitter a whole lot. No, never, never, I try to stay off there. I try to narrow vision, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Focus?
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, like knowing you have two torn A c ls right now, and you're going to do this year. You're not worried at all because apparently you feel good. What are your goals? Like? What are you You're obviously going for a fourth you would be one of how many to have for of all time? Yeah? Last, and that's your company with one of your own Gable right.
Speaker 3: Uh no, Gable you didn't win.
Speaker 1: For I listened to him on Joe Rogan recently. He was awesome. I loved listening my dad like growing up with the wrestling my dad. That was back when you had to buy all the VCR tapes. Yeah, you had to watch. But who is it?
Speaker 3: Kyle Sanderson, Keile Sanderson, Pat Smith, Logan Steeber, and Kyle dak are the four four timers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're probably looking to be the fifth trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta I got a lot of you know, I gotta get there.
Speaker 1: So so with because I also read something to where you were gonna do something with the Olympic team this year. Well yeah, so how does that work with wrestling? Because obviously, if say any other sport, it's balancing that you're a college athlete, but then you also get an opportunity to be with the Olympic team. Explain how those seasons kind of work for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so usually the Olympic Trials or World Trials or right after the collegiate season usually you know April or you know May. So yeah, so I I that was one of the reasons why I didn't immediately have surgery, was I wanted to make Olympic team. I would have probably been the second seed at the trials, second or third seed.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was right top three because the one seed was the guy who's been on the team the previous years, and the two seed would have either been me or you know, another guy, So it would depended on how the seeding meeting would have gone. So I was right there. I mean, I mean, I I think I'm you know, obviously you got to think you're the best wrestler in the world at all times.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're saying you're not, then you're obviously lying yourself. Yeah, exactly, and you're in the wrong sport in my opinions. So it's individual sports, you versus on another guy. So I mean, I was gonna go and uh, you know, last second, we made a decision not too.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: I was pretty beat up after Nationals. I I I pretty much hurt everything in my knee without hurting everything in my knee, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So you basically strained everything everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Fortunately you didn't didn't care anything. Yeah, So I was like, I want to wrestle, and the coaches like, if it's your choice ultimately, you know, so you don't want to regret anything. And end of the day, I'm like, I don't even if I could wrestle the mat right now. And I but I wanted to. I wanted to. I was like, I can do this. I can you know. I'm gonna you know, I'm not gonna make you know. I just went viral for some stupid no excuses, right, and I'm gonna make you know. I got a lot of crap for not I got a lot of crap for not going on trial. But exactly exactly, That's why I was like, ah, like you know I cut, but.
Speaker 1: No doubt, broy I.
Speaker 3: I I just don't know how it would have gone.
Speaker 1: You don't want to damage your knee more than yeah, if you're feeling pain, like you just got to know when Hey, today's not the day this sucks.
Speaker 3: The Olympics for every four years, and you know, I mean I watched and you have a buddy from Japan who won Olympics. We said we would go to it was in Tokyo, so we'd be there together, you know what kind of thing. So, son of a gunments you went and won it without me.
Speaker 1: You know, you gotta wait for more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well nice? What's nice with COVID? I guess it's only twenty twenty four for three years and it's in Paris, so Paris is super cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, so you get done with you know, you get done with the n C Double a's and immediately because the difference with Olympics and what you see and on n C dublas for everybody watching and listening is in the NC double as it's folk style. When you get in the Olympics, you go into freestyle, you go into this new kind of season. Yeah. Are you also doing freestyle tournaments and Greco tournament? Is there Greco in the Olympics?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you doing these tournaments while also in the n C Double A season or does the do those seasons just happen immediately after the n C A over? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, folks on freestyle are pretty similar like on your on your feet, you know, as you know, like when you guys are neutral. I mean, maybe people don't understand what I'm talking about, but basically they're they're very similar. Yeah, they're very similar. Like the styles, they're just rule changes, that's all I would say. They're just different rules, different scoring a little bit, you know, But if you know anything about folks style, you'll you'll be pretty good with freestyle, just like there's some certain things that change. But we go right into freestyle right after season, and we you know, our goal is make world in the big teams, you know, when we go to Iowa was Tom Tom Brands always says world Olympic and national titles. That's what we're training for, and that's so yeah, so that's that's the plans, the goal, and yeah, we go into it, and then you know, the world change of the Olympics usually year and like I would say, like August usually, so then right goes right into college season right after.
Speaker 1: So it shows that you guys go all year round. Yeah, there's no season of wrestling, and then you're kind of in the off season like you're all year round. Ye all the time. Yeah, the World's Worlds.
Speaker 3: Every two years, so World Championship every year, and then every fourth year is the Olympics.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so did you go Did you do compete in the world this year?
Speaker 3: No? So this year, if you're an Olympic medalist at your weight, you get to take the World team spot of this year. So the guy my weight ended up taking Olympic bronze, so he took the week. He's the world He'll be the World team member next month as well. So got or else I would have tried to compete for the World team spot.
Speaker 1: How would you've gotten to compete if he wouldn't have medaled at the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he would have. He would have probably been in the either in the summis or the finals at the trials, and then I would have had to go in.
Speaker 1: So you don't even get a shot to win Worlds this year?
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Is that brutal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it sucks if you miss Olympics and then you missed the Worlds. Yeah, you know, and that's your goal. But I mean it's fine. You know, I'm still young. I'm only twenty two, and yeah, I mean I'll be twenty three next month, so I'm getting not old, but like for college, I'm getting pretty over a college kid. And then you know, I got five five to ten more years maybe competing internationally.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you think, how long do you want to wrestle?
Speaker 3: Gives out?
Speaker 1: So you want to go into Hey, you can't even walk like there's.
Speaker 3: No pretty much? Yeah, I mean if you love the sporty.
Speaker 1: Wind, Hey, you both your legs like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: May maybe take a year off gets everything you try again.
Speaker 1: My favorite boots on the planet Georgia Boot the world's most comfortable boot. I will read that again. The world planet Earth their most comfortable boot. Georgia Boot is the world's hardest working boot. For eighty years, Georgie's been making boots that work as hard as you do. And if you guys are listening to this podcast, I don't have to tell you how hard you work, but you should be working with them. Georgia Boots on tough enough for your job, cool enough for everything else. Georgia Boot makes super good looking and super comfortable boots so damn comfortable you never want to take these boys off. We like looking good and even when I'm working These boots do just that. They look good. These boots will hold up in any condition without sacrificing comfort or style. Whether you're working on your feet all day, working around the house, or grilling out with your boys, these boots won't sacrifice comfort or style. They look good. Georgia Boot offers the best work boots, wedges, and loggers around. Whether you need a waterproof boot, steel toe, soft toe, square toe, met guard, non punct or shank, non slip soul, They've got it all. Head over to georgiaboot dot com and use code busting. That's bussi in for twenty percent off. The boys got you for twenty percent off. Start buying presents for Spootober for the people you love most, and do it starting with georgiaboot dot com using code busting. Explain like, were you yourself and a lot of the majority of wrestlers like get this mindset of this individual sport and not having any doubt? Is this something you've always kind of had or do you feel like there's been times throughout your career and your journey since being a little kid, just being a little pup, like growing up and just like kind of cultivating this mindset of I am the best, you know what I mean, Like, you've never are you are you saying like since you've been in college at Iowa, even as a young freshman, because there's obviously beasts like all across the board, You've never thought like, I'm like this dude, like he's he's better than me. But you know, I got a little bit of a shot here or there.
Speaker 3: Uh So I would say I was always different. I've never asked someone for their autograph. I've never asked one for a picture.
Speaker 1: Saying he just did out there with me. So it's just kidd.
Speaker 3: Totally my first time, first time we'll talk to the first time. No, it's it's just because I uh, if I saw someone in the rusting community that was like Worl Olympic champ and they asked, you know, if everyone's getting their autograph, I would say, I'm gonna better than him one day, So I don't want his autograph, He's gonna want mine. That's kind of what Even when I was a little kid, I always thought like that. So I I never thought that there was anyone better than me. Ever when I wrestled in my entire life, ever, so I just.
Speaker 1: Fact that you're a three timer. I'm just like, I'm kind of an all But if you hadn't wont anything about you, this dude's a fucking sich. But you know what I mean. Okay, he's a young kid, right, and you see, like Jordan Burrows, you wouldn't want his autograph.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 3: I'd rather I'd rather be on the team with him and be a teammate.
Speaker 1: You know, have you medjored. Yeah, he's a good.
Speaker 3: Dude, awesome guy. Yeah, I'd rather be teammates.
Speaker 1: So and so this is something that's just always been a part of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never I've never I've never understood autographs. So whenever I was first asked to sign an autograph, when I was like, I don't know, thirteen or something and pa, little kids, you know you want a state title? They ask you, I was like, why you want my autograph? Doesn't make any sense to me, just just a signature. So like when I see that stuff, it just kind of makes me laugh.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Even today, I'm like people with nil you know, people were like, oh, you know, I'll pay you to give me autograph, And I'm like, now I'll just give it to you, like, I just don't think it's really worth anything.
Speaker 1: Oh that's where that's where you're boys got to come in. Yeah, well I don't know how much he wants to be on No.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, we don't worry.
Speaker 1: He's talking, he said, no, no, no, no, he's talk here thinking if he wasn't sitting here like, I'm just gonna have to from that one, I'll be your guy.
Speaker 3: No, but that's not that's that's just how I'm just saying, that's how my brain works. Yeah, I totally understand that, like what it is and how it works and everything, but I just like, don't my brain doesn't compute that because I'm like, why wouldn't you just want to be you know, better than What about no doubt?
Speaker 1: I said, the autographing, But what about doubt? How have you dealt with doubt throughout your career? Well?
Speaker 3: I think that uh, you know, I think doubt creeps in on everybody. But the biggest thing is, you know, what I've learned being in college because I never I think I was almost too confident in high school, Like I really thought that I would win the Olympics when I was like seventeen, you know, and you know I could wrestle with like our Olympian I was, our Olympians trained partner, Dan Dennis. He was He's awesome, He's he's our region he's our regional training center coach. So he's Olympian twenty sixteen. So I knew I could wrestle with him. I knew that like where I was, but you know I was then I got to college and you kind of like open your eyes. The guys are really good and people are proving and and you know, I was like, wow, can I do this? Yeah, And it's like coaches there, there's their job to kind of like reiterate the fact that like, yeah, you can do this and like so like they really helped me like believe in myself to get to that next level because I always just thought that one day I'd be the champ. You know, like it's just gonna happen, right right, because I was like I'm gonna be the best, like and and uh, you know, they're like Spencer, it's really hard to win the Olympics, Like, but you can do it, you know if you just keep being positive, because like I'm always super negative. Like if I even gets scored on like two or three times in practice. Ever, like even one time, Like I'm I used to like freak out and get upset and get mad, like why is he scoring on me? Shouldn't score on me? You know, and like hey, this guy wants to win too, Spencer, like, you just need to keep focusing on yourself, keep positive and keep wrestling. Just use that to fuel yourself, right, So like I just you know, you get more mature and you learn, so it's kind of like no doubt. Just be positive and just keep going as hard as you can.
Speaker 1: So were you one of those kids when you lost when you were younger, you would you would kind of run off and like pout for two hours at a time. Well I wouldn't so wicked, So like Cody, he would he would lose, but when he lost, he was like he you know, he was just like a spoiled brat for like the next two hours, like pouting and crying and like throwing stuff and everything like that.
Speaker 3: So maybe you know, I, well I totally understand that, like for sure, Like I I was never like the crying two hours spoiled brat, but for for five minutes, for five minutes, you don't go near me, you know, even in college. I mean I've lost five times in college, so I've lost a lot of times and the end, and weren't they all as a freshman? No, I lost three as a freshman or two as a freshman. Three is sophomore and I haven't lost some then, and and I like it's like you can't be near me, Like my my dad, remember my dad warning Tom Terry like hey, if God forbid, if he ever loses a match, like he's like, just just know that he will be fine after like five minutes. But if you go to him during those five minutes, you're gonna hear things you don't want to hear, right, And like so I did end up losing, and like I I mean, I'm not even gonna tell the story because I don't want people to hear hear it. To be honest with you, Yeah, well I've said some crazy stuff to Tom after I lost, you know, like like even like tell hi, I'm gonna quit or like you know, just like cause like my brain my brain's like how like what is this? Like why am I going through this? Like what is this? You know it's my because I will never ever blame anyone else for a loss, like I feel like I get I'm so hard after a loss on myself. It's like I suck. I should have done this, I should have done that. You know, you never want to say you should have, could have, would have? You know you never want to ever have doubt, Like you never want that. It's like I'm like hard, Like I'm like, I'm the worst. I should just hang up my shoes now, I should just retire. Like I'm like, you know, but I'm not, like, you know, you know your fault. You should have this, you should that. It's always like how could I have been better? You know? Then I after like five minutes, I'm like I'm sorry, Like let's get it's what's next? What's next? Best thing?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Because I've lost. I didn't win a Big ten title till my like my junior year of college, you know, and I was two time national champ and I never won Big ten's, you know, and uh, it's like what's next?
Speaker 1: Next?
Speaker 3: Best thing? Was always nationals.
Speaker 1: Did you ever feel like when you lost in those Big tens that it was gonna carry over? Like you had like doubt crept in on those guys who would beat you.
Speaker 3: I mean I would that you.
Speaker 1: Were like ready to get to the NC Douce because you're like, I.
Speaker 3: Know exactly what. I haven't seen anything, Like they haven't seen me at my best yet they have. That's how I always thought. And but what always like blew my mind was I would like be number one in the country and i'd you know, go to Big tens and I had to get upset and like the fans would be like he's washed, He's gonna lose, Like so he's gonna lose at National's. Like hey, seriously, I people say crazy stuff like I remember, like I used to get like like I don't know, like upwards of like twenty dms the day people tell me that I suck when like I lost in the Big ten finals the second time, you know, and they're just like you suck. You're gonna lose again, like your career is doomed. Like I'm just like why do people like do that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I should just be like I want to like talk to him, like, hey, you uka like something happened.
Speaker 1: To you, Like they're definitely projecting.
Speaker 3: Something, yeah, like is there something to go on in your family life or something.
Speaker 1: That being in some eight nineteen twenty year olds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you're washed, Like no, basically harder on me than myself. And then my coaches know that, so they know, they know, they know if I, you know, lose, give me some space and I always come back. I'll always be fine.
Speaker 1: What's next?
Speaker 3: How can I be better?
Speaker 1: You know, if you ever went back at a DM or I.
Speaker 3: I I would, I would just delete them. Just there's no point you're getting You're giving them what they want. That was my problem. I knew, I knew I wanted to say something, but you can't, you know, because these guys, they have the power. They can screenshot it and they can post it. You know, if you say something mean, like, you're the bad guy at that point, you know, if you're you know, you gotta be the bigger man and not do that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, sometimes I like to be the smaller man. I don't blame you man a little bit more.
Speaker 3: See, but you're you're you're funny though, you take it, you take it funny.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you make it. You make it. It's been a lot of it's been a lot of work. Yeah, there was a what are you laughing at? JPN? But the doubt and the like the beginning, like in your early days, especially like when you get to a collegiate sport, like you're you're starting to learn about how much fans care because you're not in high school just dominating anymore, right, Like how much people care, how much they're like judging you, Like how just opinionated everybody is, and that you feel like you're under this microscope and you only think about your own bullshit, right, So you never realize that pretty much every player on the team or every teammate you have, is going through something similar and everybody kind of deals with the same stuff. So that's what I meant by that, JP, I thought you were talking about how you go back to grind. Grind, I'm talking about back in the day, like when shit did with kind of like you're just like you're like pissed off, you want to fight them. Now you just realize you can have fun with it.
Speaker 5: Spencer, going back to like high school and growing up, did you play other sports that were more team oriented or was it always just wrestling?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, I played soccer is probably my next favorite sport. On a cross country I delivered to football when I was younger. I mean I was. I've been the size since I was eleven, So five 't three, you know, one hundred and twenty pounds and I was eleven. I'm like one thirty now.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I played some football. I played some football. I just wasn't very big.
Speaker 1: So I would love to see you in your uni as a kid, like with the helmet on, just oversize. He's like tipping over.
Speaker 3: So funny. Uh yeah, but I loved I loved other sports.
Speaker 1: Why did you start going wrestling only?
Speaker 3: Well, so in eighth grade, I made the so we had we have age group world teams and World Championships. So I made the kid that world team at fourteen years old. And I went over to World Championships and it was in it was rendering, Serbia, and I ended up losing two matches there and I was winning the match both times, and I kind of just like I never really had to, like I always kind of killed everyone in freestyle in America. Like those are my first two losses. I think I've only lost three. Yeah, I've lost three times in freestyle in my life. And those two two losses when I was fourteen, and I didn't really know what to do. I was like, I didn't. I thought I would just kill everybody at the World Championships, you know I really seriously, that's just kind of what I thought. And then I was I was being them pretty good, but I ended up like kind of like falling off and they kind of came back both the matches, and so I was like, I can't be doing other sports, Like if I want to be a world champion the best of this, I have to only do wrestling. I can't put my time to other aches, you know, other baskets. And I so I was like, I dad was like that I will never have that feeling again, like I will win worlds next year, you know.
Speaker 1: So just what a savage like, you know, being so like obsessed with the sport, especially like wrestling like it is wrestling ever just you like don't want to do it for a certain period of time, or you just love it so much and want to do it so often that you're always ready.
Speaker 3: To fucking I think that's what makes someone like manic is when the sport never gets old. You know, it's always like how can I be better in this position, or how can I be in better shape? How can I help someone else, even like I just I always just want to be involved in the sports somehow. But when I am not in the sport, then obviously like it's okay, Like I play video games and you know, I try and somewhat social, not the most social personal live, but you know, but you know, I'm always you know, wrestling is my life. So it's what I do, so I live it. I live and breathe it, so don't really get sick of it.
Speaker 1: Nuts Like I hated wrestling growing up. I like Cody was always the best at it, and when it was wrestling season, Cuddy was the favorite kid. And when it was which wrestling's more so all year round, so it would get the football season, I'd get a little more love. But I can never like win state or up and I always got like second shit like that. And then I quit after like my seventh grade year. Yeah, and had to wrestle again my junior high school because I didn't go out for the baseball team because I just wanted to do football all year round. And I told my mom as a sophomore, like, oh, I'll go out for baseball next year, because she was like, why don't you doing more sports? Because I was like doing every sport up until high school and then I kind of just started to focus on football. And since I didn't go out for baseball like I had said, my parents said I could either be grounded all when or I could wrestle because my dad, you know, it's like a wrestling family. My dad was all about wrestling. And you know, Cody now coaches with the Pearlers, like he's part of the Pearler team where they travel and all that stuff. And uh, like I hated wrestling so much, like I had to get threatened. You're either wrestling or your ground.
Speaker 3: You're like debating, like, oh, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to brag, but I qualified for state.
Speaker 3: Hey I've taken that many years off. That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: I can roll around a little bit. Yeah, I played football in the Brass I didn't wrestle.
Speaker 3: I say, would you? Yeah, Missouri, there's a good state.
Speaker 1: Missouri was solid back then. Back then it was like, uh, if I can remember Cody being on team Missouri. It was like Missouri, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio. I mean I was always in there. Where'd you grow up?
Speaker 3: Pennsylvania?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, always been in the deadly team but yeah, is that you? Is that you? Yeah? That's me? Is that the little Is that the little guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? My football play, my highlight?
Speaker 1: You just were you a running back?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you get after it a little bit. That low center of gravity. Yeah, my dad always swore by it. He's like, your pro jility's gonna get better, and your your low center of gravity, your balance, blah blah blah. I mean, you know, fuck him for being right, but it was. It's it's brutal living like this tall off the round for like three months of the year. I hate running like I'm built. Football players are all built for like six seven seconds at a time. Wrestlers you're like, these dudes are running for days at a time. Start, you know, not eating food. Cody's cutting weight. I wrestled two fifteen, but I was two o five, so I can kind of give. I'm coming in a huge subway or McDonald's or something, and Cody's pissed off. Like then my parents would get mad, Hey, you can't eat in front of Cody. Cody's gotta make it, you know, dude is tough. Man Wrestling just just I have a bad tasting my mouth with wrestling growing up. Yeah, spinning cups. I'm talking these dudes. If they're a little bit overweight, they're like, they'll go into the day of wrestling our way in it's like, oh, I'm good, I'm five pounds overweight, and you're just like, what are you fucking talking about? And then they just take the next thirty eight hours to run in sweats where their duct tape around their ankles and their wrists where they can keep all the sweat in. They're jump roping, they're running, they're sitting in saunas or we didn't, you know, not having a sauna, we would have to waste all of our hot water in our house because you would have to just shut the door, stuff towels at the bottom, you turn on just the hot water and couldn't be sitting in there in garbage bags. Dude to make weight because he wanted to wrestle, like, ready to beat some dude's ass. And me, I'm thinking, maybe I can over under this guy if I can hip him and toss in my win. If not, he'll sink his scepts and pin me in. It'll be over. They will be over. I'll fucking eating chips and said, I lose, I go up. My Mom's like, oh, don't sit next to me. She's the one mad. I'm like, mom, I lost. It was my best day. You've seen any crazy weightcut stuff? Well, yeah, you done me? Uh so uh.
Speaker 3: In twenty sixteen, I wrestled a one hundred and ten pounds So think about that, you guys. Fifty kilograms was the weight and I weighed about one thirty. So I had to lose like twenty pounds. It took me like six months. I shook my boy to be I was really this pig. Yeah, it was a night for Wayn so I was. I cut five and a half pounds probably like two hours for way and started, so I was like one fifteen and a half, went down to one ten next day I was one twenty five. I was insane disgusting that they changed the rules for wrestling, because there's no more day before Waynes Now it's two hours for international now because so stuff like that. I mean, when I was in the Olympics in twenty sixteen watching as a training partner, see these guys they're rustling sixty five kilos now, which is won forty three and they were won twenty five pounders in twenty sixteen and twenty seventeen their one forty three pounders just because night per wahyan, you make weight, you kill yourself, lose sweat pounds, you're barely walking to the scale. Next day, you know, boom, you're ten over, thirteen over, fourteen over.
Speaker 1: Are you one of those dudes who're just not fun to be around when you're cutting weight?
Speaker 3: Like, no, I'm i I uh, I keep my weight low all year round. I'm always constantly basically, I guess you could say perpetually cutting weight. But for me, it's just like a lifestyle. I think cutting I think cutting weight to a lifestyle. Like I hate when I see guys who are fifteen twenty over and then then they start cutting weight a month four season. Then they're they're struggling, they're hurting, they're having bad practices, Like now, I'd rather hurt, you know right now? Two months, three months, four months, five months, be four season. Even starts them during the season, you know, because then you get down, you feel good, So it's like an edge when your weight's always good.
Speaker 1: That's probably the right way to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, high school kids do it wrong. That's why you're That's why I'm laughing about the plastic bags and the and the you know the the you know it well, well, when you're young, you don't know any better. I mean I was, I was, I was telling you, I was Kyle about you know the when I was in high school, like I didn't know any better. You you well, my dad would tell me that you should work out before you weigh in, you know, break a sweat, lose like a pound a half and then you feel good. It's like you're warm up and then you we warm up after making weight. But high school kids, what they do is they just don't eat anything the day before, they do anything the day of. They don't drink anything the day of. So you wait at like seven pm. You wrestled at eight you haven't you know, drink anything all day. Then you stuff yourself with food and water. Now you feel like crap for the match. Dude, they get ready to get whatever because you're the one picking, like your parents aren't there, and you guys are You guys are so good. It's just validating what you guys are doing.
Speaker 1: Like you go out there, you know you're gonna tech the guy, like it would be don't pin him too fast, work on your stuff. Go out there and tech him, like start working on stuff, like, don't just pin it like that's easy, Like you'd get not me, he's like me. But that's how it was. I assume it was the same thing for you, Like you know you're gonna tech these dudes, so you kind of just go about your life however you want, because you know you're just gonna beat the shit out of everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh I could pretty nurse for every match, so I wasn't. I took everyone pretty almost too seriously in school. Oh yeah, I mean it doesn't matter that I was. You know, I was a three time world champ in high school, and you know, I was undefeated in high school, and I'm wrestling kids that are you know, they don't they don't know pretty much. You know, they're they're like one time state qualifiers maybe at the best, and you know, so I would, uh, I would, uh, you know, I would take them a treat every match like it's the Olympic finals.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's that's how my mindset was always but unrattled.
Speaker 1: Right now, do you have many matches ever even go the distance?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, yeah. In college, I had a lot. I mean, I mean i'd lost five times, so but I don't know. I mean when I was in high school, I probably only had like ten matches out of like one hundred and fifty to go the distance. So over four years.
Speaker 1: I was reading something and I don't even know if you even care to even talk about this, but I was reading somewhere to where I was talking about the company you could be entering by winning the fourth and just how you've measured up so far throughout your career. But you have your five losses. And when somebody brings like a Kale Sanderson who went no losses, yeah, and uh, people then talk about the style you do it too, like you're you're known as I would assume on the alls go ahead and say the mount rushmore of like scoring like very fast, very high scoring. You were like averaging over twelve points a match last year, which seems incredibly high. I don't know where I'm going with this.
Speaker 3: Are you asking me where I put myself?
Speaker 1: I kind of want to.
Speaker 4: I want to.
Speaker 3: Well, I haven't won yet, so that's.
Speaker 1: True, and so I kind of I don't want to. I don't want you to have to say anything that you. I don't want to just put that stuff out there because I know you are still in college. If you were a pro like I would really be trying to get that out of you. Absolutely, But I don't want to do that because you know the brands. I don't need any of them boys at my front door, you know what I mean. I don't know what kind of shape Manning's in Nebraska, but I don't know if I can count on them to, you know, to help me out there. Roll back, shout out the boys or rollback. Before I read this ad, let's read the message that they sent the boys. They said, Will and Taylor, thanks for the opportunity to sponsor the show. The last read was epic. The whole offense, Oh damn it, the whole office loved it. Thanks again, boys. Feel free to go off script. I'll do my best roadback activewhere you know all rob You all know Roeback, best fit, best feel, best vibe. Hey, there's my one off. There's my own prov rowback drop, new performance Polos, just in time for football season, Just in time to watch the boys. When we say the designs are fire, we mean it. Three fire emojis. Don't do it. Fourth because it makes the tech small. Keep three emojis, so the fire stays lt and it fire stays high. So if you're hitting the golf course or need a fire polo for a night out with your girl, Rowback has you covered. We've worn these pollos one hundred times and the college look brands making new each and every time, and the fabric is just so soft. Rowback sciars popping up all over the NFL. From our boy Quentin Nelson, who's about to take an l this weekend, to the Bengals DN sam Hu Robard Roeback quickly is becoming the go to actor where in the league and the boys on the bus. They're fresh off two of the biggest apparel sponsorships in all of college sports with Notre Dames Kyle Hamilton. Is it Hamilton or Hamilton, I don't know, but I would guess Hamilton. Kyle Hamilton. Baby, shout out the boy and shout out the boy. At Georgia quarterback JT. Daniels officially joining the Roadback fan Rowback you this past week. It's fair to say Roebacks gear again is popping up all over the map. Luckily for you guys, Rollback just restock their performance hoodies. And I'm not kidding when I say these are absolutely the softest, highest quality of hoodies in all of the land and in the game. The material is actually out of this world soft and the stretch is unmatched. Nobody does hoodies like the boys at Rowback. So if you play football or you're a football fan, you wear Rowback simple as that. Use the code busting bussi N on roadback dot com for a generous repeat generous twenty percent off your first order. That's spelled rodback h. That's spelled rodback r h o back dot com. Twenty percent off your first order on all the polos q's episcidies and teas with code busting Hop on the Roadback train, Hop on the roadback bus now because it's taking off, So go check them out of roadback dot Com. Do for the boys always in forever. Uh but going in Obviously your clip goes viral and you now have a shirt because guys can now monetize and name image likeness with the new NIL world. I assume you're a huge commodity in the nil world because you're an Iowa wrestler. What has it been like with the NIL rules changing, and what did you initially think? And maybe you didn't think that much of it. But also another question I have is like how has like it been handled in the university, like with your team with that stuff too, because I would assume it's as excited as a I was. We had like we had hundreds of DMS ourselves. I know, Barstool, you're a barsol athlete as well, but I know they had several hundred thousand people inquireant sign up for that. And all I can think of is my head in my head was coach bo Pliniard, Nebraska coach at the time, what had us in a team meeting talking about all these things, like take us through the transition going into this NIL world, how it affected you and how it's affected the coaching that's went into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a whole new world, man. I Mean you go from you know, not being able to make any money. You're you're being super careful. You gotta be careful with camps. You gotta tell them everything you make. Everything Now it's like you tell them everything you make. But like you can pretty much monitor yourself in any kind of way that it seemed you know allowed like by the law of your state or you know, or your compliance office. Everything everything goes to them. So yeah, I mean it was I mean I wasn't like expecting anything crazy, but like I knew that like after like my quote and everyone wanted a shirt from my quote, and I was like whatever, I guess.
Speaker 1: Because at the time you couldn't put that. You couldn't put that on a quote. Yes, so a viral moment happening. Yeah, that's a prime example. Say the Nile world is happening at that time. Within those next few days, that shirt hits and you know, you're capitalizing off of that moment that you have.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, it would have been I mean that would have been like the best timing of course, for sure. I mean we didn't didn't put a shirt out until like you know, July like twenty seventh or something. Yeah, you know, and that obviously happened in March.
Speaker 1: So did you sell a lot of shirts?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean for yeah, I mean it was pretty I mean it's still kind of going on, and it's been really cool. I mean, Iowa fans are awesome, like they're I mean, you probably don't like GOT fans very much.
Speaker 1: But I don't like to give them credit just because I have this.
Speaker 3: I totally get it with you, I totally get it, but you should.
Speaker 1: You guys love that incredible an incredible wrestling fan base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's unreal. I mean, have you ever been to a wrestling match in arena?
Speaker 1: No, not not in not in the Iowa, not in the Ioway right now, but that shit is lit, dude, Like everybody in the stanzyone two and like arguing at the ref and wrestling wrestling matches is lit, dude.
Speaker 3: I mean, we averaged like thirteen thousand fans. Really, I'm sure it's a match for for wrestling, and it holds fifteen thousand around there, so we almost sell it. Every time our fans are loud, they're into it.
Speaker 1: So you know, the Nebraska we've sold out all of our stuff for since like the sixties.
Speaker 3: The football games, right, yeah, yeah, you guys get donors to buy the rest of the tickets up for we're.
Speaker 1: Taking shut now, we're taking shirts. I might have been the donor. Hey, I'll do it. We gotta say face here. Okay, that's awesome. I wasn't I wasn't prepared for that. That was very good you're on your toes right now. Where can you get the shirt? Like, where can people buy the shirt if they want to go get the Are they available right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean there's the barstool shirts on the barstool website.
Speaker 1: They store, yeah, store do barstoolsports dot com. You can go what category is it under you search? Come on now, don't way around that website.
Speaker 3: I didn't just all I remember was it was like on the front page when I looked it up the one time. So that's no, that was that was That was That was. That was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll drop the link to where you guys if you are Iowa fans, Spencer Lee fan, you know, if you're about not having excuses, then you need to buy the shirt. Because my man's got an unelectric. That's a dope shirt. It's like it's got like a little uh, it's got like it reminds me kind of like a like a w c W vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That weird the shirt that the writing no excuses. It reminds me of about Wolfs tee from Walmart. But you're in the middle and then you got like this this nice Go buy the shirt. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, dude, like, how are you balancing the two? So I got something your coach has brought you guys in and talked about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that we have. We had a lot of meetings with it. Our compliance talked to us a lot. We we use an app called Influencer and we have to put report everything through there. There's a bunch of resources on there too that our compliance office is really big and to like if you need help, like there's a lot of people you can go too. Because yeah, I mean, I I just I try not to focus on you know, I'm not worried about like how much money can I make. It's just like, you know, these are awesome opportunities and what's best for my brand and how can I promote the sport or wrestling the best, you know, being ambassador of the sport. And you know, at the same time, my main focus is winning you know, my fourth national title and winning every match this year and being healthy and not it's not just about how much money can I make, you know, because I feel like people are so focused on like how much can I make or how can this opportunity to do signing here pictures here, like I don't want to take time out of my day. You know, that's the best kind of way to make money right there is have a shirt, have someone else make it for me. And so yeah, yeah, exactly. So that was I mean, that was the easiest way I mean sending you know, it was talking with Dave, which is super cool to fortnite. He's awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, how's he with you?
Speaker 3: He was like, I mean it was like I was like, is there someone else I could I could talk to that? You know, He's like, no, You're gonna work with me. I'm like like, okay, like that sounds good. Yeah, well that was like the coolest.
Speaker 1: Thing, you know.
Speaker 3: So really I was really like kind of like blown away abou how like easy that was, and how like you know, down to earth it was, you know, for that to opportunity to happen. He was super into it.
Speaker 1: Yea, I understand what you're saying, because I mean, clearly number one, you're a three time NCAA. I don't think anyone questions where your brain would be at with monetizing and stuff like that. But it's also super interesting to be in a spot like you because guys athletes can now monetize image and likeness, And you're right, it's not beneficial to take time out of your day to go do signings unless it's something that's planned way in advance. Like the advice that I feel like I would give an athlete if they wanted to find ways to take advantage of it is having infrastructure that takes care of it while you can do what you want to do. Having your own shop. Obviously for you, you get to be a barsol athlete. You get to be a credible one, like somebody who's a legend to be a barsel athlete.
Speaker 3: What is this right here, Rudis that's that's that's like the brand that I signed with. So it's like, oh nice, yeah, so the wrestling company by wrestlers.
Speaker 1: And when I say legend everything, I'm not saying that to like, you know I I you know, I'm saying that for everybody else. Like I'm saying that the people listening like you are in a credible spot. And the benefits for you to do that is having this infrastruy behind you so that way you can focus on wrestling and not bend over backwards to try and figure out Okay, how do I make money now? Yeah, I definitely don't think you do that at all. Number One, you're in wrestling. It's not like it's the most financially benefits of sport out there. But it's good to be an iowall wrestler. Yeah, and in these big schools because whether it's national or even local, like I'm assuming you guys might get your your team might get benefited by somebody local eventually during the season with this nil stuff. If you're a smart local business, it brands you guys behind that. But it's good to be like an iowall wrestler, even though it's not the best. Wrestling is not the best sport to be in, but being in your guys' shoes, like you guys can capitalize a little bit more than I feel like a lot of those other schools out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's super awesome. I mean, that's that's what's really cool about like the like the you know, this city, the fan base, like you know that we had an awesome Dan gible era kind of like grew that that that that image of us, and that's why we averaged the amount of fans at a wrestling match I mean when I first went to an i rustling match, I blew my mind.
Speaker 1: You know when you think I would think wrestling, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which you know we at least you know, we're trying, you know, well yeah we were like we find the country right now, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I can hear the Malason's voice particularly. Well, yeah, it's a good Oklahoma close game, you know, but uh, it was a great game. Actually, you know, I don't watch a lot of football all time.
Speaker 1: You missed a couple of field goals, field goes and then extra point we win.
Speaker 3: The game, yeah, which it would have been a big upset of awesome for you guys. So just.
Speaker 1: Play that game with him.
Speaker 3: Well I do. I mean, I think wrestling is ingrained in Iowa, you know, right, like every like small high school. It's like the wrestlers are like the cool kids, you know, like I remember like talk and even the Iowa kids like they're like really cool in high school. It's almost like they almost get like less cool when going into college unless they go to like Iowa. Yeah, like you know, you know, like big schools that they're doing really well. It's like crazy, there's so like the Iowa State tournament for wrestling is like packed, like there's like there's not a lot of seat to take in there, Like it's crazy, like people love it. They schools will let their entire school out for like three days, no no school, just to go watch our wrestling state tournament. So like it's ingrained. Like you know, so like then these kids, they they become wrestling fans and you know, then then they go to IO wresting duels and then then you know, everyone's watching. It's like it's like a family event. People go there like yeah, So it's like so I think it's so when you're an IO wrestler with n il and stuff is you know, I think there's an opportunities that might come just because you are right. So I think that's super And.
Speaker 1: Not to mention you guys don't get now unless it's changed since I was playing, But you guys don't get full rise either, or does wrestling get.
Speaker 3: Full Oh you get nine point nine scholarships.
Speaker 1: Correct for some guys might be a full might be a full ride guy.
Speaker 3: Right, just thirty six spots and a roster, so it's hard to get.
Speaker 1: Some guys get divvied up. It's not like it's not not NFL. It's not like a college football or college basketball, college volleyball even you get full rides. It's kind of like baseball where you get a certain amount of cartials partials. There's a lot of partials that go around. So if you're you can still benefit from that way. Like are you you a full scholar guy?
Speaker 3: Now, I mean I have I do have a scholarship.
Speaker 1: So okay, all right, okay, you have that's good answer. Do you have a scholarship? But say, like the hypothetical is that Spencer Lee does not have a full right scholarship. You're able to benefit off of rules like this, whether or not we know you're not focused on it, but you're able to benefit to help you offset those costs that you're paying to go to school.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I saw like an article about like Ivy League schools because they don't get scholarships. I saw that they were trying to trying to use nil as like an opportunity where they can kind of make up that gap from other schools for like recruiting purposes. Even so, I think that's like a really good way of put did like just like that because like even could help like us with recruiting too, Like let's say we got a guy who's like a full ride guy and we gotta get him, but like we only have a fifty Maybe there's a way we can We university cannot help career athlete get their money, but I'm saying like, if he's able to perform, he can maybe maybe make up that gap of correct that and then he's able to like not have debt in college, which I think is like obviously you never want to be in debt, so like I think that's right.
Speaker 1: It's the thought of going like, oh, all these athletes want to make money, yeah, versus like, no, they're not making money. They're closing the gap on the expenses of their paying to go to school when they don't get full rides. Like a sport like wrestling, Do you have any interest in doing anything else outside of wrestling?
Speaker 3: Like MMA WW I I was like got a joke because like Gable Stevenson, he he got signed a w W. I was always joking, and I was always gona be like, like you ever need a buddy, you know, hit me up, you know, but uh, I never actually like meant that, like for real, would you at WWE. I don't know, don't well, do they really want a five ft three hundred and three pound man A w W?
Speaker 1: You know maybe one everyone goes everyone.
Speaker 3: I see, I was just gonna say that, everyone goes Rain misterial. He's like five six. You know, I'm five to three, you know, much smaller I am than him. You know, I'm like fifty pounds lighter than him, and I'm three inches shorter. I'm just saying, yeah, but you know his name. Everyone knows his name. Everyone knows who Raymisterio is.
Speaker 1: That's all we got to do is work on your mic skills, so athlete, Now you're busting with the boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go. And I think I was that's not happening. Imagine me. It looked like a little royed up and freaking lever coat, you know. But uh, I always think I was born to be a fighter. Combat sports have always been really good at like like body awareness and like movement, and so I think, I mean, and then they could be in my future. But I've never like thought of it. I never wanted to be a guy who got punched his face for a living. But you know, if it's an opportunity that ever comes to rise and it's something that I feel is best for me, then like I would fight. I just I just don't think it's something you should, you know, be like, oh I might fight, you know, that's not it's a fight game. That's not something you kind of like, you know, joke around either, got you exactly, you gotta you gotta want to, like, you know, you gotta know you're gonna get hurt, You're gonna get hit. You know, it's not something you just gonna go out there and just murder everyone, you know, unless you're like, you know, I don't know, like a bibe or something, but he's he's a different breed, you know.
Speaker 1: But have you dabbled with MMA at all, like in any of your off seasons.
Speaker 3: Well, my parents did judo, so like there's a there's some grappling in judo kind of like jiu jitsu on the mat with judo, So like I know, I like, I know how to defend myself, but I never really I don't know how to strike. I don't know any of that stuff. So if I ever did it, it'd be like the only thing I'd be proficient and will obviously be wrestling as like a martial arts.
Speaker 1: So shoot, we got Michael Chandler bro, we could just hit up Mike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was the wrestler.
Speaker 1: Yeah so yeah, speaking of what was his name, uh, the one who went to w W, Gable, Yeah, yeah, is it? Is he also a college athlete while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's gonna wrestle in college this season and then good w W after I think.
Speaker 1: So he's not doing anything w W now in season.
Speaker 3: I think they're gonna just use his name, his likeness, and he's gonna you know, I think he's only gonna do home matches for him and then I think, actually I think he said the only away match he might wrestle would be Iowa, which is awesome. But uh then yeah, so I think they're whatever they need to use him for for that. I mean, he might do like appearances and stuff at events, but he ultimately his goal will obviously to be a national champion again, and then he's going to go into WW and try and be a superstar.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's awesome. It's really good for our sport. I mean, if he keeps winning, it's good for us. I mean good for him, of course, but like it's good for us. That's my main goal is to have wrestling grow to be a bigger sport. I mean it will never be, you know, a big sport like football or basketball, just because the rules and it's you know what it is as it is. You know, that's why.
Speaker 1: And then they why don't you think he could football or basketball?
Speaker 3: So if I grabbed one of you guys and I made you watch my match and took the scoreboard off, could you score it? No?
Speaker 1: Now if I if I grab say that again.
Speaker 3: So if I and I made them watch a match of wrestling.
Speaker 1: Oh got ya? I was thinking physically and I took.
Speaker 3: The floor and I took the scoreboard off, could he score it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Well, if I pull you into a MMA Matt fight and you've never watched it MO before, could you understand what's going on? Yeah, one guy's getting punched in the face, the other guy's getting punched in the face, and if the guy taps or gets knocked out, who wins? Right, That's why it's so popular. It's a sport where anyone with football. I mean, obviously these sports are way way more complicated. Like obviously football isn't just you throw a ball, catch a ball run a ball run, you know, but like if you it's obviously the ball wants to go to an end zone. The ball wants to go into hoop, right, you will hit a baseball out of a field. Wrestling, it's like, Okay, his hand didn't touch the mat, so that's not a takedown, that's not points. He turned away, there's no points and he got away. You have to actually know the sports, so I don't I think the unless they like simplify the rules maybe in wrestling, which will be hard for wrestlers because there are rules like that for reason. For wrestlers we understand, but like for a fan, it's really hard. That's why restart wrestling isn't as popular because it's different than college. So you can get into call. Then you watch freestyle, it's like, what's what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So I think that's the biggest thing for us.
Speaker 1: Will ever go to like just freestyles since that's the Olympic sport.
Speaker 3: I wish they did, but I think it'd be impossible because in freestyle you're allowed to slam a guy as far as you can on their head and there's no penalty. You get you know, rewarded for that and folk style you get disqualified for that.
Speaker 1: I think that'd make it more popular.
Speaker 3: It would definitely make it more popular. But I think the way, you know, kind of like the sport is in America, how people are I mean, imagine having a you know, a little kid go up for wrestling and he just gets supplexed on his head and that's you know, like yeah kind of you know, because like imagine you'restling kid he's been wrestling for four years and he's he's like, he's he knows about it, he's pretty good, and a new kid comes out and he has what he's doing, gets you know, doc supplex right out of his head. What's a mom and to think, oh my god, my son. Right, So it's like that's kind of why I think folk style kind of developed. I don't actually know why, but that's my theory. I think that they wanted rules that were safer and you know, easier to like watch and anyone can do other than like you know, you pretty much could break a guy in half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I don't know shit, but I feel like that's a good theory. I did. Well, he's kind of seems like he's thought about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought, I mean, I'm trying to I want to go to the sports.
Speaker 1: What would be what rule would you change in folk style to make it easier to watch? What's something that you would be like, I would change this rule if this was.
Speaker 3: The first Maybe A push out rule is kind of the big thing everyone wants. It's like, you push your guy to bounds, you get a point. That's a rule in freestyle, so like if your foot goes out of bounds first, that's a point and folks out a lot of times, guys, the rule is if there's any point of your body in bounds that you can continue to wrestle. So if I just had my finger in words out of bounds, you can keep wrestling right the raft will and blow it out when both bodies have left the mat. I think that's really complicated. There are rules like, you know, if you're on your back, you know, stuff like that, and freestyle, if your back exposes the points are scored in folks out you have to hold them. So it's just there's like a little differences like that. But I think a push out rule is pretty simple. You can understand that, Like if I push you off the mat, I get.
Speaker 1: A point right, So yeah, what else I.
Speaker 3: Mean wrestling in the old like WAYBC when it was like one of the first sports. I mean, I think the rules then were like you had to make a guy tap like before I'm talking like like the oldest sport like wrestling. I think Rescuse wrestling was like super popular in Collis Suns and stuff. People would wrestle and uh, people would fill up stadiums for for wrestling, which you know, And then I think the rules then were either it was either like three takedowns, which meean you just had to like take them down to the ground, or it was like you had to make someone like tap or like quits, like you'd like impose your will on someone. I don't know if that would make it more popular, but I was always like kind of thinking like what made it so popular back then? And like those are very simple rules, right, Like you can understand that, yeah, I mean you could. I mean whatever, I mean, I'm not saying that, but like I'm saying like it was obviously I mean different eras of course, but like if it's simple, if it's yeah, if it's one guy has beat another guy, I mean when it comes to rules, I mean I take advantage of the rules today, Like I score a lot of points in like turning people in my my wrestling, and that wouldn't really do anything in the rules I'm saying, So it wouldn't benefit me at all. Actually, it would actually hinder me, to be honest, because I scored a lot of points really fast because of the way the rules are. And if it was just like impose your will on someone who's tougher, like, that would be different.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I don't know that's solid. Yeah, I like to push I should listen to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's been talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it sucks, like you know, saying the legend all that stuff, like I know, you got to go win the Natty this year, Like I know that your goal. I know that's your goal. And not to like downplay or anything else. I clearly hope you do. And we can wear our Spencer Lee shirts. Yeah, but it happens. Appreciate it. You guys have any questions for him? What do you want to do after as of right now? Like the lifes of wrestling?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what mean they could do a lot of things. I mean, I could go into coaching, maybe coach at I was like, it was always like the path that I was kind of on. I mean I could, I could fight, I could I could do entertainment like w W. If I was ever if anyone's ever interested in me, if that was something I really thought about. You know, I always wanted to be like an athletic director of a division school, you know, so so I could. I mean I have a school like yeah, yeah, so I always had different You have a lot of different paths I could do. I mean, never really know what's gonna happen with life, right, kind of hits you differently. I mean I'm I'm super young obviously, so we all a lot of stuff I could do. So you are young, Yeah, twenty two is young, right, I mean were you three two?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So yeah? Were you about to try to go with the joke there? Were you about to go into an old.
Speaker 6: Joke when you're not a full steam ahead with wrestling. What are some other things you enjoy doing, like other sports maybe hobbies?
Speaker 3: What are your other interests? I love I love archery, like traditional archery. I'm actually carving my own bow out of like you know, it's a black locust wood with my buddy named Sam Coat. He loves this podcast. He'ld be pretty pumped. I said that, so it was it was named Sam Sam Coats and so Sam Coats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey Sam Coach, shout out you big dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's an easy so he he has to carve my bow and which is awesome. So I love like I don't do like compound or I don't really hunt. I love target shooting. I love video games. Me and my buddies built our PCs, so we all played video games together. So video game I played. I played League of Legends, which is pretty pretty nerdy game, but they played like Fortnite and war Zone and all the you know.
Speaker 1: Epex like Black Lotus would Black Locust yet Black Locust would Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: Expencer, have you dabbled into the twitch world then, like h I mean I did it for like a little bit after COVID happened two years ago, just because I was so bored, like we could we weren't even allowed to train and carver because of COVID, so we couldn't even Like the only thing you could do is run, you know, it can like run so much.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, I mean I would run. I mean i'd run like five miles a day. But like at some point, at some point, like you're you know, I got bad needs somewhat. So it's it's like so I was like I can't do that anymore. So I started I streaming a little bit. It was fun. I mean, it's just it's different. It's not like it's that's as it's a full time job if you actually wanted to do it. So it's something hard. You know, penwill No, I gotta give him credit. I gott give him credit. He was a wrestler.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a wrestler. He's big, he's strong, he's you know, he's tough. He's not gonna you know, No, I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 1: But a lot of stoicism comes with being thirty two.
Speaker 3: You're getting married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you in a stoicism? I just start trying to, like I thinkism. I'll put you on a book.
Speaker 3: After we get Yeah, all right, Well I love reading, so yeah do you like reading? Yeah? I love reading.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get better at reading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just I mean you give me get better read more often? Both both, he's doing both. He's getting better, wow, doing it more often? There we go.
Speaker 1: We're reading more often? Yeah, me reading more often. I appreciate you coming on man is Yeah, this is awesome. Dude tearing a CLS, winning natties, carving black locust wood wants to go old Testament rules. You just can't. You just don't make him like this dude anymore. You know what I'm saying, Well, you do, but maybe just in the wrestling world. But I appreciate you coming on man. It has been fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Have we have? We not hit anything? I don't want to say your name you though I know who you are. Solid. We did We did good too, all right? Uh, Spency's got his chaperone here. No, but thanks man, go to uh again. If you want to support my man, Spencer Ley. You heard you heard us talking about nine point nine scholarships, get divvied up in the on the wrestling rosters. If you want to get behind an athlete that is on his way. I won't even say that. I don't. I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid. But you want to help a dude out and go buy a shirt. You can get that on store dot barstool sports dot com. It's called the excuses are for Woos's tea. You buy that simple twenty eight bucks, you do that, but you support Spencer and doing so IBA fans. I know you guys are all about the boy Spencer. Everybody else listening you now know who Spencer Lee is. So keep your eye out for the boy because he's now representing bustling with the boys along with being a barstool athlete. But he is now one of the boys. So we're about to go balls out. It's going to be tough for an Iowa guy, but Spencer is somebody I can get behind it. I'm rooting for you, bro. I hope you get this fourth. It's going to be sick and we're gonna be screaming from the top of our lungs, probably at our TVs. Maybe maybe we'll go, Maybe we'll go watch the boy. That could be sick.
Speaker 3: When when are the National March nineteenth? I think to the twenty first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might be I think that would be sick. Get a little section. Oh hey, hey, brain's going we'll have to figure something out. But hey, good luck, man. I appreciate you for coming on. You have fun.
Speaker 3: I had awesome. This is a blast.
Speaker 1: I love it Ye. Shout out the Nebraska corn Huskers subscribing right five stars, busting with the Boys YouTube comment and the comments right now, be a fucking wolf. That was fun, Boys,