Speaker 1: Follow Cheeky's and Chill on Amazon Music. Just head to Amazon dot com slash Cheeky's and check out even more podcasts by Michael Dura throughout Hispanic Heritage month. Listen to my latest episode of Cheeky's and Chill on Amazon Music. At Amazon dot com slash Cheeky's and listen to Cheeky's and Chill on Amazon Music, or ask Alexa to play Cheeky's and Chill on Amazon Music. What is one of the biggest mistakes to lead to like a disorganized area.
Speaker 2: I would say having too much stuff for the space that you have is the biggest mistake you can make. Being organized is not about being perfect. Being organized is about having easy cleanup, having systems in place so that getting your life back on track is quick and easy.
Speaker 1: I have a new fiance. I'm learning to pick and choose my battles. I'm like, I don't want to argue about the silliest thing. So there's socks and then pants that again he wants to wear you.
Speaker 3: Oh the song?
Speaker 2: The song?
Speaker 1: You know what I love about Mondays? Besides the fact that there's a new Cheeks and Chill episode, I love that Monday's are the start of a brand new week, and that means a brand new start. And that's what we're going to be talking about today, fresh new starts. We're going to be talking to Janelle Cohen, a professional organizer. She's going to teach us how to take our old living and working spaces and turn them into cleaner, fresher spaces. This is Cheeky's and chill. Sitting here with me today is none other than the organizer to the stars, Janelle Cohen. When she's not busy fixing the homes of Jay Shaddy or the founders of Alo Yoga, you can catch here on TV shows like The Today Show or Good Morning America. She's also been featured in a number of publications like The Washington Post. Hi Janelle, It's so good to see you again.
Speaker 3: So nice to see you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me, of course, thank you for taking the time. And I just want hopefully you're proud. My house still looks nice and and so does my pantry.
Speaker 2: Good glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: Well, a little backstory, you guys, how I met Janelle. I saw her on Instagram and I had her come to my house and just organize my life. So she started with my pantry, and then from there I was like, can you you also like decorate and I love the way you do it?
Speaker 3: Can you do that? So she did that for me.
Speaker 1: She did the entire house because when I first bought this house, I was traveling and I didn't have the time or the energy or the mental space to do it. So I just said, here, this is kind of what I want. Can you just take over? And that is how whatever you see on Instagram, you guys, because I haven't really shown my house like too much, but whatever you see in the background is all her. Everything, the kitchen, my bedroom, everything is Janelle. So I'm proud of that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love you so much to hear. Yeah, and you also have a book I did it called Again. It's in my laundry room.
Speaker 2: The folding book, and the laundry room is the perfect place to put it. As you're doing laundry, you learn how to fold everything, so you nail the location.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have it there, because especially like men's shirts, if they don't hang them or get them like dry cleaned, and they're just not like hanging. It's there's a certain way of in your book, you explain this of folding them very nicely where it also helps you save space, you guys everything. It's honestly, when when you came out with the book, I was like, what the heck, I've never I never thought about that, But there's there's an art to folding your clothes the correct way in order to have more space you guys.
Speaker 2: So yes, and it also reduces wrinkles. It takes better care of your clothes. You can see everything you have, and it's like a free skill that you can learn to better your home and you don't have to spend anything. Yeah, you know, you can totally transform your space just by learning a new skill.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm. I think that was genius. I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and I'm so happy for you because you were already doing amazing before I met you. But now I'm like, I feel like I see you everywhere, and you know, kind of like when you buy a car and you're like, oh, I'm gonna get this car because no one has it, and then and then you see it everywhere. I feel like, oh my god. I feel like Janelle was my little secret kind of and now I'm like she's everywhere, but no, I had seen you on someone's like very famous. I mean, I mean, come on, you you organize Jay Shatty's I'm a huge fan of Jayshetdy.
Speaker 3: You organized his.
Speaker 1: Whole yn But I feel like I see you everywhere now, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you so much. That means a lot coming from you.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. Of course, You're very welcome. Okay, So tell me what got you into organizing. I'm just curious because it's something that was always a part of your life. It is just something because it comes natural or did it come natural or I don't know. Tell me a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, what's funny is that during the pandemic, I started looking through old childhood videos of myself. And at this point I already had started my business. But I found a video of myself at two years old, folding perfectly with an iron and I had no recollection of that being a part of who I was as a child, neither did my parents. But clearly there was something there, you know. But I got into professional organizing clearly by accident. It was a Mother's Day gift for my mom. I was going to do her pantry, her pantry is amazing, but was a hot mess, and so I decided I was going to figure it out. I was going to redo it, and I did, and I posted pictures on Facebook, some befores and afters, and people started commenting and they were like.
Speaker 3: Can you come do mine? Can you come do mine?
Speaker 2: And I was like, why the heck not? Might as well? So I started doing people's pantries and then closets, and I was like, you know what, I really love this. This is my passion. I at the time was acting, so it wasn't like I was on that path or on that journey, and I just took a right turn and I was like, you know what, I'm going to double down on this, and I think I can turn this into a really successful business.
Speaker 1: That's what I did, and you definitely did because with my pantry, you guys, mine was also a hot ass mess, and she color coordinated the candy and everything. It's just you walk in there and it's so esthetically pleasing and everything is so easy to find.
Speaker 3: It's just I was like, Wow, maybe I could have done this, but it's like it takes.
Speaker 1: But then I sat there, I'm like wait a second, no, Like I wouldn't have thought about this to be on it. So I'm like, so we need to know in our life. So that's awesome. Yeah, But what I really want to talk to you about is like helping people now like organize. We're going into like a new year, and it's like you want to feel fresh and just start your year on the right foot. So let's talk about what is one of the biggest mistakes that someone does around the house to lead to like a disorganized area.
Speaker 2: I would say having too much stuff for the space that you have is definitely the biggest mistake you can make, because you need to live for what your current circumstances are in your current space. I also think if your storage isn't serving you, then you need to create storage that basically holds what you have without going crazy. But I will say that that is my number one thing. I believe you should be at seventy five percent capacity in all areas of your home. That gives you room to increase, decrease, move things around, tetris a little bit, and it gives you wiggle room because there are days where things aren't perfect. Do you think my laundry is perfect? And put away one hundred percent of the time. Absolutely not, because being organized is not about being perfect. Being organized is about having easy cleanup, having systems in place so that getting your life back on track is quick and easy. I live in a one bedroom apartment, and if my apartment gets a little crazy, which a one bedroom apartment can get real crazy, real quick, I can set a ten minute timer and snap it back in ten minutes. That is the key to being organized, because everything has a place.
Speaker 3: You know where it's going.
Speaker 2: You're not trying to figure it out and make it work. You know where it goes, you know what you have, and you can you know, get back to square one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. Everything should have a place. And one thing I've noticed about myself is that I'm very excessive, you know what I mean. Like I feel like I buy one or two of the same thing. It's like I should just have one and when that's about to you know, run out or something, I can get the other one. I have that thing that I'm really trying to work through. But also, do you suggest for people before they start organizing, obviously, like declutter, Like before you come into my closet, I'd like to remove everything that I'm no longer using or no longer fits me in order for you to come in and say, okay, I'm going to organize what you are going to wear, for instance.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I would say, I mean the biggest part of organizing is what I call the edit, so basically doing the decluttering, figuring out what you use. But it's actually funny that you mentioned that you like to have two of something, right. I actually believe that you're going to think this is crazy and shocking, but I believe that you shouldn't have just like one of everything. Figure out what you actually like, what you actually wear. Double down on that. So for me, I know what T shirt I like, right, I like this one specific T shirt. I like this cut, I like it in that size, and these are the colors that I like it in. And I don't have five different kinds of T shirts where I'm constantly going to the same one. I have five of the same T shirt because I wear them.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 2: That's who who I am and what I believe is like the best thing if you feel like you have to have a little black dress in your wardrobe because it's just like you have to, but you never wear dresses. That's silly, right. You have to curate your closet or your home in general to what your needs are because everybody's needs are different, so there's no formula, but you absolutely editing is the most important part of organizing because you don't want to organize a bunch of stuff that you don't need, and that's the clutter, that's the clutter in your mind.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, And that's how I feel right now. I'm like, there's so much shit in my closet that I don't need, that I don't wear anymore, that doesn't fit me, and I hold onto it because I'm like, damn, it has a price tag. But I'm like, you know what, I can donate it, like, don't look at it. It's kind of like paying it forward sort of thing. There's another word for it. I can't think of it, but it's like, Okay, donate it. Don't look at it like you're throwing it out. And that makes me feel better too, like I'm like, Okay, I'm gonna donate it and hopefully this will help someone else exactly.
Speaker 2: There's that, and it's also making room for things that serve you, because every single spot in your house is valuable and you don't want to be having it filled up with stuff that doesn't serve you right, and it also helps you to shop smarter in the future. So you're gonna look at the things that have price tags on them that you're donating, and you're gonna say, why didn't I wear this because it didn't make me feel good? I didn't like that color on me, it wasn't comfortable, it required a specific kind of bra that I hate wearing, and then you don't buy that again.
Speaker 3: That is key.
Speaker 2: You learn exactly what you like, what fits your lifestyle, and you cater what you have to that. It's also important to remember that you don't have to declutter in one big session. If you go let's say you open your drawer and you're gonna grab a T shirt if you're moving past a T shirt because you don't want to wear it, because it doesn't look good on you, you don't like it, whatever, rather than just like pushing past it and finding what you're looking for, just put that into a basket. Start a donation basket, so it's just you have that.
Speaker 3: I've been doing that is like literally two months ago. I started it.
Speaker 1: I'm like Okay, this is like I'm not gonna wear basket and I'm gonna donate it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm good. I'm on there.
Speaker 2: There you go, And honestly, it adds up one little thing here and there, and then it's like then you see the drawer differently every time you go to it. It's just little pieces. Of course, a huge edit and having a big pile of clothes that you get rid of is amazing. But if that feels too overwhelming, there's other ways of doing it, which like the little donation basket. I always have one of those, going, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: How did you start working like with all these huge celebrities. Is it something that did you go knocking on their doors or did they see you somewhere? Yeah, tell me a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually not at all.
Speaker 2: I mean I just was doing what I was doing. I was posting on Instagram sharing what I was doing. And the first celebrity that reached out to me was Jordan Woods and she just DMed me one day and I had like no followers. Really, she just like friend, I guess followed me and she was like I'm looking to like organize and her friends sent my page to her and the rest is history, and then me and her became friends through it. And yeah, it was so random. I was sitting at I was watching The Bachelrette with my girlfriends and I was like.
Speaker 3: I think Jordan Woods just DMed me. It was so wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But honestly, a lot of assistance is how I've networked.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've gotten some.
Speaker 2: Very very very cool, iconic clients that I can't I've signed NDA's and I can't share that I worked with them. But that part's really hard because I'm so it's so exciting and awesome, but it's like I'm their safe space.
Speaker 3: I'm this like.
Speaker 2: Little fairy, little organizing fairy that just comes in and I'm just for them. They don't have to share me with everybody. Yeah. But like I got to do Lance Bass, which was so cool and I was like, this is my childhood.
Speaker 3: Dream, that is and I said that to him. I was like, little.
Speaker 2: Janelle would be freaking out right now, Like I don't even know like how me as a child would have processed what I was doing and seeing.
Speaker 3: I was like this is insane. I would I probably would have been there right there with you. Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's just all referral. All my clients are referral, just word of mouth and building trust and just continue working hard and focusing on that and then the rest comes.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you are very very good at what you do. And what I noticed is like you go, you do your thing. I think you guys put on like music you had in your little Yeah, you almost like you're not even there. And I'm just like, oh, okay, Like you're just so respectful and I think that goes a long way. And obviously, yeah, people recommend you so absolutely thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I get in the zone. I listened to some podcasts so there, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, I know it Chigi's and Chill. You don't have to say that now, but no.
Speaker 3: I always I have everybody, so are you kidding? Awesome? I think that's where I saw you the first time.
Speaker 1: I'm actually on Jordan Wood's Instagram and I think she was saying thank you for I didn't know. I thought you were just organizing. But then you're like, oh, thank you for helping me decorate. She said something like that, and I'm like, oh my gosh. You Also it's heck yes, so it just saved my life.
Speaker 2: I did her house for MTV Cribs.
Speaker 3: Oh you did? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yes? And I love the it was so clean and the colors. I was like, I sound kind of like that.
Speaker 3: I want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So tell us a little bit more about organizing, Like, are there, like, what are key things? I don't know, two or three or maybe five if you have them, like things that people can do right away to start like just organizing their life a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Number one thing just to get like the aesthetic that you see on Instagram. You know that, Like organizing, perfection is symmetry and having everything matching. So if you get the organizing bug and you're gonna go get some baskets, some new hangers, whatever labels, you name it, there's so many different things get all the same. You don't know how many times I go into people's houses and they have twenty different bins and none of them match, and none of them is little. It's just like chaos. And it's like you want your organizing to be cohesive, and it makes a really big difference. So if you get the organizing bug and you're gonna go buy some bass gets have the whole house match. Yes, that's number one. Labels. Labels is so so key to being able to maintain a space because there's accountability and it's also communication with everyone in the house. Usually it's not just one person in a home. Usually there's multiple people using a space and you don't want to have to micromanage it or you be the only one that knows where things go, So you need to have labels. They don't need to be too specific. It could just say snacks or breakfast or whatnot. Okay, so labels is key.
Speaker 3: What else? Ooh?
Speaker 2: One thing is if you notice that there's like an area that constantly gets cluttered, so like let's say by the door, or like there's a spot in your bedroom.
Speaker 3: I'll give use my fiance as an example.
Speaker 2: He likes to put clothes that are not like fully dirty, but not fully clean, just like on the dresser on the top, and that literally drives me bananas. So instead of being annoyed by it, I decided, Okay, we need to figure out a solution for this. So there's a spot near his nightstand where we put a basket and that's where the stuff goes that's not clean. Enough for the closet, but not dirty enough for the hamper. We all have those things, you know, like jeans or whatever. Yes, So it's figuring out a system around your habits rather than thinking overnight you're just going to have totally new habits, because that's not realistic. We take our shoes off in one specific spot, we put our keys down in one specific spot, at a hook, at a bowl. Figure out what you need in order to add some sort of order to that problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, congratulations on your engage a glue. So I have a new fiance, right, and he does the same exact thing your fiance does. And that was my question because now, yeah, I'm learning to pick and choose my battles. I'm like, I don't want to argue about the silliest things. So now I'm just like, Okay, if it is now that you mentioned is easier for him because it's always on his side of the bed and I can't see it because I'm on the right side and he's like on the side. But I don't walk that way a lot. So there's socks and then pants that again he wants to.
Speaker 2: Wear agh the sock, yes, the sock, Yeah, I'm just like, why why are they under the bed or like under.
Speaker 1: The Like I'm just like I can't you know the night stands that I have because you put them there. So it's not like you can hide it. It's like open and there's just stuff or like you know, like Postmates, and he just leaves it there. And it's like he's not dirty, He's not a dirty guy. He's just messy. He's just like, oh, I'm gonna wear it again, so I just left it there, But like it bothers me.
Speaker 2: What's funny is that? And something that I've learned with mine is that sometimes they're looking for a system. They don't know how to say, like hey, I never know where to put X, Y and Z, so they just like do it and they can't like necessarily always verbalize like it'd be great. But like sometimes I'll put a system together or like organize his desk or something, and he's like, oh my god, wow, that is so much much better. I'm so and then uses that system. So I think sometimes it's figuring out what that thing is. Like maybe I'm putting a basket on the side of his bed near the nightstand and that gets cleared every few days or whatnot, because maybe that he's looking like I don't know where to put these, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's what he tells me. You totally gave me a solution.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, I think what I'm going to do is just organize it for him and be like, hey, this is what I suggest and now. And I've noticed that once I do it, I'm like, okay, the towels or you know, even our little Q tips and stuff like, I'm like, okay, this is where can you just this? This is where you replenish it or how And he's like, okay, cool, yeah, awesome. I'm like, it's like little things. It's not like they do it on intentionally. They're trying to be inconsiderate. It's just I think you just have to guide them a little bit more because they're thinking about other things.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think there's just different personality types. I think some people are aware of that, they're aware of their space, and then there's people that just aren't. And I think there's then there's also people in the middle. I feel like it's not a passive aggressive thing to like organize his stuff and leave a system. I think it's like a way of helping, Like this is a skill that I have, and I can help you to like have a better system so you can find what you need and then they can offer you guidance in other ways that other skills I don't have, like tech, you know, like this mic setup today, I didn't set that up. I don't have that skill whatsoever. And so it's kind of like it's a skill and some people have it, some people don't. Some people need it to be to learn, you know, and they can they can learn because they have the drive, but it's not natural. So I think that it's like a good thing. Figure out where those holes are, what are those things that are really frustrating and difficult and annoying to deal with, and then figure out solutions around them because they're not going to change. They're not going to change overnight. So it's just like accepting that breathing right and you know, then just doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I definitely don't want to come off as like passive aggressive or feel like he feels that I'm like his mom and I'm trying to organize his life because I'm trying to Obviously I'm not trying to emasculate him in any way. It's just I like things a certain way, and now that I've gotten older, and now that you've organized my life, I want it to stay that way.
Speaker 3: I'm like, dang, now that I'm.
Speaker 1: Older, I'm so particular, I'm so anal about certain things.
Speaker 3: I just want things a certain way. And that's it.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, you are preaching right now. Yeah, I'm like, what is happening to me? I was like, I wasn't always like this before. I'm like, okay, now I'm like, no, I can't leave the house until this isn't its place. And it's just getting it's getting a little like worse, you know, or better. I don't know. I don't know if it's a bad or good thing. It's just it's what it is, you know.
Speaker 2: It's everything in moderation, labeling, and also just like you want to have control of your space, because there is it's a subconscious thing. But we don't have control over a lot of things in life, but we have control of our surroundings. So at least for me, I feel like when I'm feeling stressed out, when I'm feeling anxious, that's when I'm like.
Speaker 3: The bathroom is a mess.
Speaker 2: I have to redo it, and I get a little crazy, And I think it's just because I can control that, right. I can't control what else is happening, right, and things that you know are bigger than I am. But I can control the way my bathroom sync looks, and I can control that my clothes are put away, And so I think it's like gaining feeling control, and I think that it's a good outlet. I think though, also in moderation, you don't want to go so far that then it's like you can't live your life because if it's not perfect, you're not happy. So I think it's you know, somewhere in the middle of that and making it realistic.
Speaker 1: Okay that honestly, I know we're talking about organizing, but like I feel like we're having a little bit of a therapy session because right now that you said that, I'm like, I guess that's what it is. I'm like, I just I can control this one thing and I want it to be okay. And then my mind for some reason has this space and I'm like, Okay, now I can think about work and everything else I have to do, but my home, my cars, even I cannot with a dirty car. I'm like, I can't, Like if not, I can't think it's like if that's I'm right, okay.
Speaker 2: I think it's part of it is just taking control of your space, Like take control of it, get that energy out, set a timer. I mean, my advice is always to put on a podcast and do an activity within that podcast, because it's like your mind is working, you're thinking, but you're thinking about something else. Right, So I'm thinking about the conversation I'm listening to, or I'm thinking about the story I'm listening to, and my mind is going, I'm getting some stuff done, and then it's like, Okay, now.
Speaker 3: What do I have to do?
Speaker 2: Like what do I have that I big that I need to accomplish, or that I have to deal with, or that I have to emotionally handle. I mean, I know, organizing is a physical thing, right, it's your space, it's your surroundings.
Speaker 3: But it's also.
Speaker 2: Very, very very emotional, and I feel like a lot of my clients don't realize that, especially when they do a closet edit. Like people sometimes have a mental breakdown. They like they just start crying because they're so relieved, and they didn't even realize they were so stressed out by it. So I think it's just your surroundings, your environment. Knowing what you have or where it is can affect your ability to accomplish things every day.
Speaker 1: I oh, my god, Yes, And I realize is that now that I've gotten older.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Okay, this is what it is.
Speaker 1: It just makes everything better for it to be in its place, you know, And I just have to control a little bit more. And I understand that it's It's okay. Even if the scissors aren't where I put them in the drawer and they should be there, then it's okay.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Now you gave me this amazing idea. I'm gonna buy myself a label maker, thinky And I'm gonna label the shit out of everything.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm gonna label everything.
Speaker 1: He's here, scissors here, just the cleaning supplies because I'm like, why is this cleaning supply? Because I did this the other day. I organized and then I'm like, why is this cleaning thing? I'm like, they all go together, you see it. But maybe people don't see what I'm saying because I organized it.
Speaker 2: That's totally true, Like everybody sees things differently. I mean, trust me, I see it on a daily basis. I'll be like, what, that's what you But organizing is also like my number one tip and how to figure out where you should put things. As you close your eyes and you think, where would I look for that? Where would I look for the batteries? And that's where they should be? And everybody's answer is different. And some people say in the garage and some people say in the I say, with my tools. Everybody has a different answer, but it has to be where you would think it goes and then label it because everybody thinks differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Okay, cool, I'm going to do that. I love shoes and I love bags, and I know a lot of women out there do too. I used to do this, and I don't know, it was a little frustrating, but let me know if I did good. Okay. But I bought like a bunch of plastic containers and I put my shoes in the containers and then I took pictures of my shoes and I put the Is that good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 1: Because I think I want to do that again because right now in my closet they're open. But I feel like they're getting dusty because I don't wear every pair of shoes every day obviously, so I felt like they were better taken care of when I had it in that system.
Speaker 2: I have mine in bins where they open in the front, so they drop down in the front, so then you can pull the shoe out and slide it back in. I recommend that because then you don't even need to do the picture thing and they can move around as needed and you don't feel tied to it, but you can still see them and they're protected.
Speaker 3: So yes, I love that. Okay, okay, cool? And what about bags? Purses?
Speaker 1: They can bags because we have our go tos and then we have the like do you recommend going organizing by like these are my go to bags, my everyday bags, and then a night like a date night bag or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: So it's so funny because I have such strong opinions about organizing purses, and I've organized a lot of purses and a lot of incredible collections. I am a big believer. Don't have it in the dust bag unless it can really get damaged or a snag on something else. So like maybe sometimes swayed, I say leave in the dust bag. But besides that, take it out and just make sure to dust them right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then I say I like to do it by color, and I like to do it by color because I feel like sometimes if you have like these are my daily bags and these are my going out bags or whatnot, I feel like then you get locked into using the same thing over and over again. And there's some bags that just never get to see the light of day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're so sad dying in your closet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I feel like when you have things by color instead, you're inspired, Like you're gonna get ready to go out, and you're gonna grab your you know, a bag for dinner, and instead of grabbing the one you grab every time, you'll be like, well, I was gonna grab black bag.
Speaker 3: What other black bags do I have? Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: And then you can grab a different bag, and it gives you the opportunity to wear more of what you have. I believe, see everything that you have, because it's going to inspire you to wear it.
Speaker 1: Yes. Oh my god, I need you so bad. I need you to come please help me, because that's what I see. I'm like, instead of buying another bag because It's just it's ridiculous. I'm like, I still have bags that I don't use enough, so what is happening. I'm probably not seeing them or they're For instance, there's bags behind other bags and I'm like, oh my god, I forgot I had that, you know, so okay, by color.
Speaker 2: There's no way you could go into your closet and mentally remember everything you have. Like I get to the grocery store and I can't remember if I've pasta sauce at home. Like there's no way you could go into your closet and be like, oh right, I remember that bag I got three falls ago that looks great with brown boots. Like there's just no way you need to see it to really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Okay, so see it.
Speaker 1: And then as far as you're clothing, do you like color coordinating as well?
Speaker 2: I like category and then within that color blocking or color coordinating, but I feel like the category is more important, So like jackets together, and within jackets maybe like having blazers from casual sweatshirts and sweatpants should be together, dressy tops, basic tops, hants, skirts, Those are the categories that I feel like are important and it's better to have those categories separate than deal with color. Of course, I'm extra so I do color within the category. But okay, if that sounds super overwhelming, you don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, now that you mentioned jackets and stuff. I had a friend that used to do this, and I don't do this, but she would put all her winter stuff during summertime away and just bring out like her summer stuff out.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I do that because I don't have a lot of space. So because I'm tight on space, I have to be kind of vicious about, you know, making sure that my summer spring stuff is away so I could pull my fall out, which I literally just did this weekend.
Speaker 3: It was so fun.
Speaker 2: But I think that even if you have enough space, it's really fun to do that. Because I didn't even remember doing this, but I put like some yoga stuff away that was like hunter green colors and they were like more fall colors, and I put them away to make space, and I forgot I did that, and then when I pulled them out, I literally felt like I won the jackpot. I was like, this is amazing.
Speaker 3: I have new leggings.
Speaker 2: They're not new. I've had them maybe four or five years now, but because I did that seasonal swap, it made me feel like they were new, which was a really fun, special feeling. I love that feeling, So I think that it's a really great thing to do. And it's you want your stuff in your closet to be stuff you're wearing current. Right, You're not going to use a straw bag in November. It's just not going to happen. So why see it on the shelf instead put it away and then pull it out in spring and then it's like so fun and exciting and you feel like you got a new wardrobe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, You're so right. Okay, we need to do that too, because.
Speaker 2: It's really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm sure I have like a bunch of jackets that like now I can wear and I'm so excited because it looks like it's gonna get cold. Fin'd my absolute favorite. I love falling too. Yeah, And okay, so last question. Because I am a huge overpacker, I feel like I need to be. I don't know, I think this is just me being like finding excuses, but I'm like, just in case, I stay in extra day, just in case I need my big bottle of shampoo, Like it's ridiculous because everything's always overweight. Then it spills and it's just it's honestly, it's ridiculous. But I can't help it. I mean, are there any tips besides I know, getting the travel sizes?
Speaker 2: So actually what's crazy is that I'm also an overpacker because I can pack a suitcase real, real good because I fold like really perfectly. So I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna bring twenty T shirts and we'll just see what I feel like. But I went on vacation a few weeks ago and we were going to multiple different places for like a few weeks, and my friend is a stylist, my friend Robin, So she came over and she was like, Okay, we're gonna do this my way, and I was like, show me Away's girl, and she basically was like, Okay, what are you gonna wear on the plane?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: What are you gonna wear the first night you're there?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Are you going out to dinner that night?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: What do we And she like moved my shoes around to like whatever, and she took a picture of each bundle of whatever, of each little outfit I have never packed so perfectly for a vacation. I had everything I need, and for some stuff, I packed like some stuff I rewore because I was like, oh, I can rewar this. But I had plenty and I had an extra outfit or two and I was fine. And I felt like I didn't have to spend any brain power figuring out what I was gonna wear when I was on vacation, because I was like, this is the outfit that was picked for me today, and I felt like I looked like a million bucks. My suitcase was perfect.
Speaker 3: It was game changer.
Speaker 2: So I say, lay everything out out really specifically, and then you'll see what shoes you're naturally bringing, what bags you can naturally mix between, and then you put your bra and underwear with that outfit. So what bra are you wearing with that outfit? What underwear are you wearing with that outfit? What socks are you wearing with that outfit? So you have everything right there, it's not like at the end you then have to gather at all. It was amazing.
Speaker 3: It's probably a game changer.
Speaker 1: And do you put like your jewelry or like, hey, I'm gonna wear these little earrings with it, you take a picture, and then I've seen those organizing bags on Amazon as well, like where you can put your whole outfit in there.
Speaker 2: I actually I did packing cubes. I love a packing cube because it's basically tuessing your suitcase and then I just did it by day or like by like this was the first week of my trip. This was the second week of my trip, and that worked totally fine. I highly recommend a packing cube.
Speaker 1: Okay, packing cube, got it? Labels check packing cube. Okay, right, I'm learning so much And just a silly question, do you cause I'm sure like your fiance is probably like so lucky you like, do you pack for him?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, he lives a real privileged life, Like how awesome, what a blessing he gets all his laundry folded by me and organized.
Speaker 3: And would she's so pretty?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's so fun.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome. I'm so happy for you. Okay, well, Janelle, thank you so much. Honestly, I'm so grateful that he came on the podcast. It was so interesting. I learned so much and I'm sure my listeners did too. And I'll be sending you a text message. See when you're available.
Speaker 3: To come help me with my lifey over soon.
Speaker 1: Oh actually, you should share your your social media or anywhere they can find you and your book and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, straighten Up by Janelle. That's my Instagram, that's my TikTok that's my YouTube, that's my everything. I love it straight And my book is The Folding Book, okay. And you can find that on Amazon target you name it, Barnes and Noble.
Speaker 1: I love that, Okay. I was lucky and blessed you you sent it to me, so thank you. But you guys find it on Amazon. It's honestly a really good one to have. You're gonna like, like, what the heck? I could have the craziest things. You can fold anything and everything, you guys, So make sure you check it out. And you guys, before you go, I always have a quote for you, okay. So the quote for today, you guys is organization isn't about perfection. It's about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money, and improving your overall quality of life, which is what we just talked about. And believe me, once you start, you're just gonna love how you feel and It's just kind of like, let me remove all this excess stuff that I don't necessarily need that is just taking up space, and it just gives you room to breathe in every way. So Janelle again, thank you, and I appreciate your time. And you guys, thank you for listening. And I'll catch you on the next episode of Cheeks and Chill. Guys, los Amo, do you need advice on love, relationships, health emails. I'm so excited to share with you that my Cheekies and Chill podcast will have an extra episode drop each week. I'll be answering all your questions. Just leave me a voice message person a Monday. All you have to do is go to speak pipe dot com, slash Cheeky's and Chill Podcasts and record your questions.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear from you.
Speaker 1: This is a production of iHeartRadio and the Michaeldura podcast Network. Follow us on Instagram at Michael Gura Podcasts and follow me Cheeky's That's c h i q i S. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcast, and check us out on YouTube.