Speaker 1: With robin Hood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs, trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood.
Speaker 2: Trading crypto involve significant risk. Crypto trading is offered through an account with the Robinhood Crypto LC. Robin Huid Crypto is licensed to engagement virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Crypto Health thro robin Hid Cryptos not FDFC insured or SIPC PROTECTIC Confesting involves risk, including loss of principal securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back, e y L. We have a very very exciting special episode today. First and foremost, shout out to Drvin. I didn't even tell you what. A couple months ago we were number two on the on the DR Charts for Business podcast. We have a strong following in DR and some of our biggest guests have been Dominicant. We had Caesar dj mv's partner. Shout out to Caesar. We had loaded the slumsneto. He's his best friend. Shout out to Fernando. This is the John Henry, John Henry. Shout to John Henry. So you're in good hands. So today we got shelf chef Calvin, Calvin Fernandez, so I'll do the rundown. He is legend within his own right, prodigy, legend, whatever you want to call it. He has cooked for the New York Yankees. He is personal chef to j low and and a Ron, personal chef to j Lo and a Rod. He made Forbes thirty Under thirty for Chef List. He's been on TV Network on chop on Man, First Child, Bobby Flay. He actually defeated Bobby Flay twice. He defeated Bobby Flay twice. He's partner chef in Last Lap, which is his restaurant that he's partnering right now. And he was formerly the chef at Marina.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, a whole entire VI at the height of it, at the.
Speaker 3: Peak, we'll talk, but we gotta talk about I feel.
Speaker 5: Like I got to walk around with you on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: So first and foremost, thank you, thank you for joining us. Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to be here. It's an honor shout out to you guys for doing what you're doing. I got goosebumps with you were telling me what you guys are doing in DC, because I don't know about that. So I'm happy and proud of you guys because you're always leveling up so bigger and better things on a regular basis.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the green room having me.
Speaker 3: So the thing about your Leash is that we it's really cool because it's a business podcast, but it gives us broad range because everything is a business. Like literally, everything is a business because you're making money in it. And one of the things that especially like for just everybody has to eat right and every like that's literally and figuratively.
Speaker 5: You're saying that this is one of the biggest reasons why I started this. Just getting into this business, I knew three things. I'll always be with friends, I'll never go hungry, and I always have a because we need food to survive.
Speaker 3: That's it. You need food to live. That's a fact. And it's like a lot of times so we've we've interviewed restaurant owner before, but we haven't interviewed a chef. It's a different dynamic and a lot of times people It's one of those things where people love to cook a lot of times, right, but a lot of times people don't think about how can they monetize it, how can they make a career out of it, how can they make a business out of it. But you've done all of that and you're still leveling it up. And so it's an interesting conversation because I feel like these are these are conversations that we can have where anybody, you know, could apply skills that they have and become a chef. Right. It's not something that you have to Like a lot of times, like we talk like hedge fund and stuff like that, and people get like, oh, this is over my head. Cooking is not over anybody's head.
Speaker 6: Like you got a bag of chips in your in your cupboard, you got some's like.
Speaker 5: You're doing a chop basket right now.
Speaker 4: You got a chop basket? What you got?
Speaker 3: So you're a world class chef, but you come from humble beginning. But your family is a long line of chefs, cooks things that nature.
Speaker 5: Right, especially being Dominican, you come from a line of women that know how to cook. You know, I think what's always nostalgic for me I can be out the country for three months, the first thing I need is a home cooked meal from my mom. And it's one of those things where I remember and I think about it, and when I'm creating a new dish, it's always like, how can I make this nostalgic for someone else?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: So, just like you said with food, there's so many different outlets that you can go to creating a business. And reality is you think about how many people have started a business in their own home and how they've grown to a small, little commercial and then buying the store next door. And those are some of my favorite stories, you know, people that start small and not every even I started a company at one point when I was doing meal props, and we literally rented out an apartment and just made that our kitchen, like there was no other furniture. We have refrigerators in there, we had shelving in there, we had two ovens, and that electric travelo. That electric goal was high. But at the end of the day, we were doing the job.
Speaker 6: So you said you came home to a home cooked meal from your mom, but your dad is actually the chef.
Speaker 5: My dad is the chef, you know. And then especially being in a Latino you always think about the women are the cooks, you know, and if you think about restaurants, of the cooks are men, you know. So I'm actually happy to see that there's a lot more women in restaurants and shutting it down, there's a lot of female chefs that I've had the honor and privilege to work alongside and collab with. And that's something that I like to see on a regular basis as well, because when you do think about food and love, and it really does come from both. So I'm happy to see that on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Now, I just thought about that, that's interesting because yeah, you think about it traditionally, not to sound sexist, but it's like most of the time in a household, a woman, your mom is the one that's really making.
Speaker 5: Mom, Grandma auntie.
Speaker 3: In restaurants, men are the artist chefs.
Speaker 5: And I think about it comes to a point where in restaurants you probably get paid a little bit more than your regular standard jobs. You like, even me, I was fifteen years old and I was getting paid at that time it was like ten dollars an hour, but minimum wage was seven fifty or six fifty, so I was like, I'm already ahead of the game. I'm making four dollars more than anybody else. And that was me at fifteen. So when I was getting a check of eight hundred dollars for every two weeks, I thought I was rich. Think about that now I can't. I don't even leave my house if I don't make eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: So at what point did you did you say, Okay, this is something that I could actually take serious. You went to school for this, right, yeah?
Speaker 5: I went to uh well, it started in Long Island City High School. I went to a high school that had the program. So the program was just learning how to make you know, brownies and cookies and like a home met class. I would say that, you know, But me, I was being the typical jock, and I was like, I'm not gonna wear an apron. I don't want to be in a place where you think about you know. They were my friends, but you know, we tease each other a little bit, and the last thing I need is to give my teammates on the football team and on the baseball team something else to tease me other than me being five feet tall. Thank God for those extra five inches So it's one of those things where it took a lot for me to take put my pride aside and say, all right, let me let me put my focus onto something. So shout out to my ex girlfriend in high school, Maria, because if it wasn't for her, she pushed me into cooking. You know, she wanted me to show a little bit of interest and support the way she was supported me by being at every game, every match, being my biggest cheerleader and no putintendent because she was on the cheerleading squad too, so she was forced to be there.
Speaker 7: It wasn't more of a more of a maybe she chose to be there. She chose to be I'm gonna take it off that. I'm gonna take it on that I take it. So if it wasn't for her, I would have never went into cooking.
Speaker 5: And she gave me the opportunity to to put my talent into something else because I was a good sports I was good in baseball, I was great in wrestling, I was okay in football. Uh, but being on a platform where I'm the solo star, like cooking, that was all thanks to her.
Speaker 3: So all right, so you went to c I A, which is one of the top culinary institution in the world.
Speaker 5: Right, Culinary Institut of America. The CIA is the elite school for culinary So it's like, you know, we're the cornell of culinary schools. You know. It's one of those things where they provided a program and a way for you to learn more than just cooking. You know, I thought, at seventeen eighteen years old, I'm here learning about wines of the world. I'm here learning there was One of my favorite classes was product Knowledge, where literally, by the end of the class you would have a table full of ingredients. You can't pick them up, you can't smell them, you can't touch them. You have to know what it is just by looking at it.
Speaker 4: But that was I mean, it was a process for you.
Speaker 5: Oh though, there was a process to learn that. Absolutely, you don't get that overnight.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, I mean you weren't just chosen for the school. You have to apply and go through a whole process to be so the program.
Speaker 5: Through the program, I was fortunate enough. Thank you for mentioning that SEACAP Careers through Culinary Arts program. These people are the reason why I am who I am as a chef. And I say that more because it was it was more than just an opportunity to win a scholarship. There were a family, you know, Richard Grouse and the founder. He was like my second dad, and when he sees people that he believes in, just like my old high school teacher, Terry Maxis. You know he's retired now, good for him. You know, he put in effort and he put in the hard work to make sure that we had the opportunity. You know, I did a cooking class that led me to a cooking competition that led me to winning forty thousand dollars to the CIA. You know, never in a million years that I think I would win a scholarship, let alone get forty grand.
Speaker 3: How much does CIA course?
Speaker 5: CIA now probably forty grand a year, So I saved like half.
Speaker 3: So it's a two year program.
Speaker 5: So you're getting in getting an associates degree in culinary arts and business management. So aside from that, you know, I dormed there. I'm not going to go back at home. Even though I was close to home, I still you know, took on the.
Speaker 4: Full college experience forty bands.
Speaker 5: So I just let's say, sorry to cut you off. Let's just say it's fifteen years ago. I graduated, I just finished paying off Sally Maye, and I got for the other forty It's like I.
Speaker 4: Took a long time that that was a good I'm still saying.
Speaker 3: All right, so you finished college and then you start you going to corporate where right after that I started.
Speaker 5: Right after college, I joined there was a company called there was a restaurant called Gotham Bar and Grill. So before I got into corporate, I literally did what any young chef should do in his bust your ass for the next two years and give six months to the top chefs in New York City. So I worked with Marcus Samuelson, I worked with Jean George, I worked with Daniel Blude, I worked with Alfred Portally. That was the place where I did my six month, my eighteen week internship at the CIA, and then I got hired right out of college. So I was lucky enough that and that was one of those things where I determined that I'm going to come in early even though I'm not getting paid. I got paid an internship wage, which was still at least getting paid. How much you get paid, I think it was like seven fifty an hour.
Speaker 3: After you graduated.
Speaker 5: During my internship before I graduated, that was like right in the middle.
Speaker 4: So Alfred Bortally, he he's the head chef at the Gothambarn.
Speaker 5: Grill was the executive chef at Gothenbarn Grove for about over thirty years. He just opened. It's funny because I went to Gothenborn Girl last night because I needed some nostalgia. I went to Strip House and I was like, let me just go to Gotham Bar and Grill have an amazing old fashion and so yeah, a little flashback. And I walked in and they're like, well, Alfred's not here anymore. He just opened up his own restaurant like three blocks away, and I'm like, no, I need to go there.
Speaker 4: But the restaurant itself, I mean, when he was there was it was it was Michelin.
Speaker 5: It was Michelin. Star it is that so three star. It was three star New York Times consistently for thirty years in a row, which is which is very hard to do. The highest you can get. His four stars in New York New York Times and Michelin is three. So they were one star Michelin and there were three star New York times, which is elite. Aside from that, it's one of those classifications of knowing that you're branded by the Michelin Guide knows that you're you're your top of your tier.
Speaker 3: So all right, then you started working at this strand right.
Speaker 5: So after Gotham Bar and Grill I did, I was at a restaurant called Cafe des Artis and I had my opportunity to become like a junior soux chef. That was the first time I had an opportunity.
Speaker 3: A shoue chef is a chef underneath the head chef.
Speaker 5: That's correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's like ashi chef apprentice.
Speaker 5: I get that all the time. There's people are all so you do sushi. I'm like, I shout out to the movie Ratatui. Then let everybody know who is a shoe chef and who is a sous chef and what they do because at that moment in my part in my life, I was a soush chef. I'm like, finally people are gonna stop thinking that I make sushi.
Speaker 3: So what's the what's the what's the what's the order?
Speaker 5: So the chain of command would be like when you first walk into a restaurant, like I did this. I worked as a dishwasher for a couple of months. Then I did prep, which is all you do is peel potatoes, clean vegetables, literally all the dirty stuff that people don't think about because we come into restaurants as cooks and things are ready for us. Like I don't have to peel my own garlic, I don't have to peel my own shots. I don't have to peel my own potatoes. I don't have to peel my own onions. When you do these cooking shows, you got to do everything you take for granted that you don't have your prep cooks or you're with you, you know, to help you out, but you have the chain of command of prep cooks. Then the very next step is garbage, which your salads and cold appetizers. Then if you're good at that, you move to hot apps, which is usually like little pastas Risotto's sear fagar, depending on a restaurant. I did ten years in French. I was classically Frinds trained, working at restaurants like you know, Cafe dis Artis and with Jean George and restaurant Danielle. But those are all like little six months stints I just wanted to learn a little bit from all of these great chefs, and knowing that my foundation later on, I was still gonna use a little bit of what they taught me. And then after Cafe des Artis, I got an opportunity to become an executive chef at the age of twenty two and west Chester, Westchester White Place. Yeah, we're Antipasti was the name of the restaurant Anti Pasti and it was an Italian restaurant. I'm like, shit, I don't even do Italian food. Why are you even offering me this job? Twenty two years old? And there was a guy shout out to Orlando Santana. I don't know where you are, but thank you, my man, because if it wasn't for you, I would have continued to doubt myself. And he told me, I remember, I said, how am I gonna be a chef at twenty two? I'm gonna need to know all the answers that the guys are gonna ask me. He's like, dummy, You're gonna know the answers because it's gonna be your food. And I said, ship, this guy's right, all right, let's do it.
Speaker 4: And it was.
Speaker 5: It was a memorable experience. I was a chef at twenty two. I saw my name on the menu for the first time, and I learned how to do Italian food thanks to the Sioux chef that was there. I inherited John. I don't remember his last name, but John was amazing at Anti Posty. We're friends on Facebook. I'm gonna send you a message and tell you to listen to this. But John, he taught me how to make pizza. He taught me how to do fresh pasta, and he taught me that his secret was putting some truffle oil and chocolate cake. And still to this day, I do that. So when people ask me what's different about my chocolate cake, I'm like, I can't tell you, but I just thought about that truffle so so so so.
Speaker 3: Like all right, because you're you're you're you're in a different market than like, uh, you're in a high end market like going to your education and working in like a New York City or LA cities like that. How how much money do chefs get paid? Like top the top chef, the shoe chef, the prep like it.
Speaker 5: All depends because even my even me, I'll tell you when I made. My most money was as an executive chef. Was when I was twenty two years old and I was making one hundred and fifty grand and I made them pay me because I was leaving New York City right so, and west chef made so I made that money in west Chester. I left Gotham. I left Cafe des Artist because the general manager at that restaurant was going to go to be the general manager at Anti Pasty, and he took me with me, and I said, this is what I want to leave. Because of course at that time, I was like, I live in Queens. At that point, I was living where is whit I gotta take Metro North. I've never done that in my life. I got to pay two hundred dollars a month for a train ticket. I'm like, I need to allocate all these things into my salary. But I got a reality check right away when I left Antipasti and I came back to the city, and I knew that taking a step back sometimes you got to take a couple secs back to move forward. So here I am twenty four years old. The reason I left Antipasti was because the restaurant was going out of business because of things that happened previous to me arriving there. There was just no fixing that, and they went to court and the judge ordered that the company get dismantled and everybody sell their shares. So to me, it was another learning step. You know, I was an executive chef. Here, I am twenty four years old coming to New York City trying to apply for all these executive chef jobs, and everybody was like, who is this kid? Like, why is he here? We're looking for an executive chef.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean they looking at you as a kid because most guys that exactly chefs are thirty five forty.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Nowadays you have different types of chefs, you know, so you see the inspirational people that you know, there was a movie called Chef Flynn where there's this kid who was fifteen years old and you know, he learned by reading books and watching YouTube and he literally has his own restaurant at like twenty two years old downtown in New York City. So like, I'm inspired by that story. And I remember reading that story while I was at La Marina and he came out front page of the New York Times. I'm like, there's no way that this kid is a chef. There's no way. I worked my ass off to go to school and work for all these chefs and he's worked for nobody and he's a chef. I went to have his food. He's a chef, so it documented it's a chef. You know. It's a whole different, the whole different perspective of what types of chefs they are nowadays, you know, like I was. I had a meeting with one of my friends last night, and she has her own meal prep service, and she doesn't want to call herself a chef. She doesn't want to buy herself a self a chef jacket. I'm like, you deserve to call yourself a chef. You do the food, you create, the menus, you taught yourself. It's okay, you're not an executive chef, but you are a chef. So that's why I say there's lots of different levels of chefs. But yeah, I learned the hard way because people were looking at me, and I was young and I was always hungry. So I just needed to get to the point of being able to cook for you. If I can cook for you, I want I already know that. So as an executive chef, if you're trying out, it's not just a resume. You have a portfolio and you do what's called the tasting. So you're offering me a job. Before we even talk numbers, we got to see what you could do.
Speaker 6: So you I mean, as the executive chef, you obviously create the menu, right, So you're doing the advertisers, the entrees, desserts.
Speaker 4: Are you also creating the pricing?
Speaker 5: You're doing the food costs here do the pricing. So you have to learn. That's why if it wasn't for culinary school, I wouldn't have known how to do food costs. I would have known what labor costs was that Yeah, So basically for you to make money, you multiply the amount of what a food costs by three. I would say higher expensive fine dining restaurants will do it by four. So for example, if it costs me to make a hamburger, right, I'm not gonna make just any hamburger. I'm gonna make sure of Calvinberger, right, so it's gonna we're gonna put it on the menu for eighteen dollars. So for me to make money, that burger cannot cost me more than six dollars. So that's the patty, the buns, the condiments, the French fries, and the labor to make that dish. So for you to make money, you'll always multiply things by three, depending on what the business is. So for you to learn about food costs, it really you have to break down how much does the four ounces of the meat cost. How much does one burger bun cost? How much does one slice of lettuce cost? Here's one tomato. How much does a case of tomato cost? And how many slices of that tomato do I get? So to break it down, it takes a lot of work to do food costs. But only the most successful people are the ones that do their food costs right.
Speaker 3: And that's that's true with any business. And I'm glad you said that because a lot of times people go into business and they just wing it. It's like I'm gonna i'm gonna charge, I'm gonna.
Speaker 5: Charge, I'm going to costco I'm going to say, and I'm just gonna charge twelve dollars.
Speaker 3: That's the fact. It's like, yeah, I'm gonna charge.
Speaker 5: Show me how you decided to charge that twelve dollars.
Speaker 3: I think people will pay fifteen dollars for this fish sandwich, so I'll charge fifteen dollars. Like it's like you wouldn't know that it cost you eight dollars to make it. It's no rhyme or reason why you're doing it. You're just winging it. And that's like I said, that's that's true in the food industry, but that's showing any industry. And it's like, you got to have a self formula to know you gotta have a profit margin. If not, screw you're gonna be in debt.
Speaker 5: Absolutely nobody wants a business that's not making money.
Speaker 3: So what else did like business side they did they teach you?
Speaker 5: And aside from food costs, labor costs, it's it's how to treat people, people management, you know. And I always joke around that on my Excuse me, I always joke around saying that on my resume, I'm a professional babysitter because you have to be able to manage people. And there's so many different personalities, there's so many different people, how people were raised, how people grew up in what restaurants they grew up. And this is my best advice is, if you want to be Greek, surround yourself by greatness. Surround yourself by people that you aspire to be like. Surround yourself by people that you want to be better than in a sense of greatness. And that's why I've worked for all these great people, and I learned how to manage people because I always treated people with respect. There was a restaurant that I worked at in the beginning of high school years where my weekends, instead of playing baseball with my friends, I'm here at a restaurant, volunteering my time just so I can learn and know to make sure that if I want to go through this career before I go to culinary school, before I signed that forty thousand dollars Sally may loan, do I want to be in the restaurant business. So I volunteered my time. I worked at this place called the Water's Edge and Queen's and I worked for a shref who was like, you know, you've seen Gordon Ramsey. Let's put Gordon Ramsey times ten.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Shout out to George Mansroth.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 5: He was like Dad number three, but he was tough man. And I was fifteen sixteen years old and I'm getting things thrown at me. I'm getting called every name in the book. The moment he found out I was Dominican and he's like, ah, that explains it all. You're a Dominican handicap And I'm like wow. And I knew what he was doing wasn't right, but to me, it made me tougher. Right. I grew to a sense of I became a man a lot faster. But I also knew that I'm not going to be that guy, no matter how talented he was and still is. I was not going to treat my staff like that.
Speaker 3: So what's what's the labor cost?
Speaker 5: So labor costs. When you come to labor costs, you think about how much money people are making per hour. And an example, there's restaurants where if you're in a hotel in corporate you're you're making a lot more. You're probably making double to what chefs and cooks normally make in restaurants. And that's just because I've had the opportunity to work in both. So let's say, for example, when I was at the Strand Hotel, it was a non unionized hotel when we first started, and I was there for about six years, and then I left to open up Blend on the Water, which is my first Latin restaurant. And then after that the Marriotte Vacation Club company came in bought it out, and when I got there, I came back and I saw it in a way is I don't ever like to go back to something. But for me it was like, what it's corporate now. It went from a small Boutiko hotel to the Marriotte. Maybe this is what's right for me. Maybe I do want to be a corporate chef. Maybe I want to be able to have my food in multiple Marriotts. But when I got there, all of a sudden, the dishwasher who was making ten dollars an hours now making twenty dollars an hour. The line cook who was making seventeen dollars an hour and now was making twenty seven dollars an hour. So now it's like I can't have a successful kitchen doing the food that I do because now I can only have one dishwasher. Now I can only have two cooks, not four.
Speaker 4: Or cuts into your margin, cuts.
Speaker 5: Into my margin because at the end of the day, your labor costs has to be think about this, there's one hundred percent, right. Your food cost has to be under thirty percent, right, Your labor costs has to be under let's say twenty percent, twenty to twenty five percent. Then you have to think about liquor costs under eighteen percent because all this is cutting into your profit. Then you think about rent, you think about electricity, water, You're left with like ten percent at the end of the day. So the more that I save on food labor is the more money that gets into the pocket of the business.
Speaker 3: That's a typical profit margin for restaurants ten percent.
Speaker 5: It's something that's why a lot of restaurants go out of business. There were times where I saw where we made two point two million dollars and after all expenses, we came home with two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: To two point We did an episode with a restaurant owner in Baltimore, shot with Derek Falcon, and his thing was a unique strategy that he has. We only uses mixed use properties for his thing because he gets the rent from people that live upstairs and his subsidized It takes less pressure off of him hit the restaurant. He you feel aboute hundred percent.
Speaker 5: It's smart. You're finding ways to make more money in your pocket.
Speaker 4: No, I was gonna say another thing. He doesn't open every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't have to open every day people. People are so afraid of Granted, I see the mentality of the day that the moments that we're closed are opportunities to make money. Yeah, that's also opportunities for you to lose money. It's okay to have Monday Tuesday off. Guess what, Now you have a staff that's happy because everybody has two days off consecutively. This is a business where you know, I'm grateful when I get two days off in a row. But now I'm at a point where I make my own schedule. But I'm also a hustler. I also love money and I also love working, so I I this is busy season for me. I'm lucky if I have three days off this month, you know. But I also take the whole month of January off, so there's there's It works out pretty well, right, nice, It works out pretty well. And I also I also take off two weeks from my birthday in July. So it's the heat of the business. But at the end of the day, I put myself in a position where I deserve that, and I earned that. But again, you earn your leisure. But again, other than that, you see me hustling every single day. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I'm always working. Whether it's doing a video on YouTube now, whether it's speaking at a high school or an elementary school, it's me at last Lap, or it's me doing a private dinner for twenty or doing a private dinner for ten, or doing an event for one hundred and fifty people. So I'm grateful that because of what I do, I do so many dope different things on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Well, that leads us right into our next segment. We're going to talk about some entrepreneurial stuff that you do, and yeah take it from there. All right, So now we're going to go into the second segment, and I wanted to just talk about a couple of things that we spoke about off camera. You talked about you did the pop up dinners that became wildly successful, right, Yeah, can you talk about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, It's one of those things like I'm getting goosebumps now because I got another pop up dinner that's coming up. On the nineteenth and the twentieth of December. But we got into that because of not being in a restaurant on a regular basis, my demand was hired. The only way that you can have my food is by you booking me. So it's kind of me like forcing. The other hand, it's like you want my food, you booked me, and I'm not gonna lie. What I do with food changes the way that you see food. For example, if you have my mac and cheese, you'll never see mac and cheese again unless it's my mac and cheese, because every time you take a bite of someone else's mac and cheese, like damn, it's good, but this is not Kelvin's what do you do with the Mexican and flavors? And like I'm slidated now.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking about this man. Were you about to put a new standing man all chefs restaurants?
Speaker 4: Ye gotta bring food with you.
Speaker 5: You should have told me something happened.
Speaker 4: Now you brought something else that we go to talk about something.
Speaker 5: I can never come in empty handy. I always introduced myself with food, but today introduce myself with something else.
Speaker 3: Were talking about you the only way that they could eat your food is my bookingt Yeah, that was the only one. So what restaurant were you are at that time?
Speaker 5: At that time, I wasn't at a restaurant because the first time that it was twenty eighteen where the Marriot Vacation company closed down. They just decided they didn't want a restaurant. No matter how successful the restaurant was, we weren't making money. And the reason we weren't making money because the labor was too high and there was nothing I could do. I was on the line, and that's something when on the line means I was actually cooking the food. That's a line cook's job, you know what I mean. As a chef, I'm creating the menu. I'm teaching the line cooks how to do food like me. And that's what I think makes me a little bit successful on the end where I really take into consideration the teaching part. I love to teach, Right, So if you're one of my employees and we got a new menu, me and you are gonna cook samon side by side for two weeks, traight.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So in my mind, I mean, I work with kids, so I'm thinking like the line cooker is like the Minion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, they absolutely are, and they're only as good as how you train them. So and I'm grateful that everybody that's been a part of my team is just now like ten years later, five years later, even two years later, Like I'll take the biggest example was Lomarino. Lomrino was one of the best teams that I've ever assembled in my entire life. And I'll say that because it was such a big team, so many different personalities, so many talented chefs that are all executive chefs now, like Trill Cooker is chef Jose de Hissu's one of my road dogs. This guy has been with me for about four years and he has his own pop up dinners in his home. Like he does infuse cannabis dinners as well. He does. He comes on the road with me when I need to go to jal and A Rods.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I want to talk about the pop because that's interested for a few different reasons. So you all right, so you built the following on social media at the time already.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for doing the food shows, doing Food Network, doing b Bobby Flay.
Speaker 3: That also helps out, Yeah for sure, So so so the pop up. Can we get back to that, because that's an interesting business model.
Speaker 5: So the pop up. The reason we did the pop up was because we wanted to do something once a month, whether it was a pop up event where it was like friends Giving, we sold tickets online, they sold out in one day. We're like, okay, this is this is We're on to something. So the friends Giving was around Thanksgiving, we would do almost like we run out Aloft. We'll invite one hundred people. You buy tickets online, you get food catered by meat whether it was pastor derves, plus an actual I'm always fancy, so we did like the first meal was an actual Thanksgiving meal. You get turkey, caramelized Brussels sprouts, stuffing and gravy. And then the next meal would be like something Latin like Beni, which is like a roasted pork with mac and cheese and something else. And then of course you get my ad airbus. It's not an event if my at eppas are not there, and if people walk into the building and they see me, the first question is are we having at airbus And it has to be yes. Sometimes people don't book me for at appus and I tell them if they're yelling at me. I'm appointing them to your direction. You're taking that hit, not me. So I learned that the pop up thing was was such a big demand because already I'm not giving you the luxury to have my food on a regular basis. So every time I did a different pop up, we wanted to do like a tacos and tequila, so we'd run out. There would be summertime, we run out a rooftop and do a dope event like that. And then I started noticing that I wanted to do more of a sit down experience. So Valentine's Day was like the first time that we did. We rented out of place in Modhaven. It was called Motley Kitchen, which is known for being a restaurant. It's just a bakery, and out of that bakery they do catering. So I rented out the spot. We did fifty people, three nights in a row, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, sold out. And then from that moment on, I was just like, people will follow me wherever wherever I am.
Speaker 3: So how much money when you making off the pop ups?
Speaker 5: Off the pop ups, Let's say that's when I would be making it depends on location. It depends on the rent of the venue. At the end of the day, I always try to make twenty five percent to thirty percent profit compared to like what we talked about ten percent profit in a restaurant. How many people are going with you? How many to do an event, depending on the size. So for that I had three cooks. I had a host, which was my best friend. Shout out to Eric. This guy has become like my manager, my assistant, my brother. But I also give him luck because he got to be in some do commercials with me too, So he was a host.
Speaker 8: I had.
Speaker 5: Three servers, so I would say a team of about less than ten, but about seven to eight people. But depending on the on the event, Like I have another the event that we did with the NFL Amazon and we had a team of fourteen people. It all depends on what we need to produces as a team. And me, I'm so hands on, so I'm always still cooking. I need to learn sometime to take a step back and let the team make me proud like they like they always do.
Speaker 3: So like the event in my haven, because I'm interested, I'm going through with this, Like how much would you say so.
Speaker 5: We charge one hundred and fifty dollars per person, fifty people per night, which was like, let's say, forty five hundred dollars. And then after that we paid one thousand dollars for the venue for three days, or it was like sixteen hundred for three days. Because we got it three days consecutive. It was a deal. And I mean, I'm a negotiator. I will negotiate to as much because I guess at the end of the day, I learned if you don't ask, you'll never know, right. So if you're charging me five hundred dolls per day, I'm like, can you give me four hundred per day? And I'll give you three dates in a row instead of just one event, so on and so forth. So you need to be able to learn how to talk, learn how to negotiate, and at the end of the day you offer a barter. You know, I'm very big on barters, where I'm like, okay, if you give it to me at this price, I'll give you two tickets to the event as well. So you need to be able to learn how to work with people. I was fortunate enough that my partner for this event, he was great on getting liquor sponsors because that is where and the reason why we made money, because if I had to put out on the pocket for liquor.
Speaker 4: That's gonna kill us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we're already paying for food, we're already paying for a venue, we're ready paying for staff. Take off that liquor, and that's the money that we're making. So that again, not every event that I do, I get a liquor sponsor, but I try to.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's like five thousand profit.
Speaker 5: Out of three days, five five thousand profits split between me and my partner.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, the reason why. So it's like twenty five hundred dollars, let's just say so. But that's not bad for its weekend. It's all about creativity. So it's like a lot of times, if you're not familiar with New York City, mont Haven, South Bronx, SOUTHROX, South Rox not really the best neighborhood.
Speaker 5: But up and coming. Yeah, it's a good thing to buy something now because yeah, it's good. It's gonna be big, it's gonna be big Frenchy.
Speaker 3: So so there's a few different lessons in that. I think exclusivity is very important, and it's like people the more. Sometimes the more you make yourself available, you devalue yourself. It's like Supreme the clothing line, right it's like people will play it, pay a thousand dollars for it because you can't get it. It's not easy to get right even like with the marathon clothes right now, rest in peace in it. But it's like people is lined up around the corner for that pop up store because you can't really get the clothes, Like it's hard to really get right now. Four So you by you making yourself like the pop ups like once a month. However you was doing it. It's like now it's the whole event as opposed to just having a mom and pop shop. You're just selling food every day. It's like they just walk past you. You come out once a month, and you got to be creative. So it's like you didn't pick the most expensive real estate in New York City. You picked the hood and I'm.
Speaker 5: Not afraid to pick them. There's times where, like the event that we're doing on nineteenth and the twentieth, we paid prime dollar for thirty seven Street between eighth and ninth, you know, But at the end of the day, it depends on the event that we're doing, and of course.
Speaker 3: The network and you're at that point in your career. Yeah, but like for people that's just starting out, a lot of times it's like they feel intimidated. But it's like work with the resources that you have.
Speaker 5: I think that's so important that you're saying that, because you have to be able to no budgets. Like you said, you're not going to be successful if you're breaking even You're not going to be successful if you're not charging the right prices.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Of course I wasn't able to charge one hundred and fifty dollars if this was ten years ago for me and my bread and who I am now. But with the accolades and with the awards and constantly winning, you know, an award after an award, and the people that I cook for, it is vouching for itself. And I always joke around and I say, my food is all hype until you finally experience it yourself.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was just telling I was telling one of my friends this the other day because you're talking about like a business and we was talking. Actually Jamal actually said it originally and I relayed the message. And it's like the business is only going to bring like, let's say, like two thousand a month, And at first I'm like, it's not worth it, like that's two thousand, But then.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 4: Erness What's Up?
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, Like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? I love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless.
Speaker 4: Whether it's a local coffee.
Speaker 6: Shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more. That's Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 9: Valspar Ultra starts at just twenty nine ninety eighty gallon, so we've got you covered. When your daughter wants to paint a room again after last year's masterpiece of a unicorn mural, or when you realize that maybe you went too hard on the graye I miss color, or when you were sure you wanted a home gym, but yourallithical is currently hanging your laundry. What about a home office shop everything you need for your next phase with valve spar available at Low's price varies by.
Speaker 3: She but I'm like thinking about it, like, well that's two thousands. Like what I said, you through that five times. Now you got ten thousands. So it's like, it's not about hitting. It's never about hitting home runs. It's never because if you play baseball, you don't swing for a home run. You swing and eventually you'll hit a home run if you're strong enough, but you don't plan to hit home run because you just strike out. It's like, it's never about home run, just about consistently building your name, building your brand. Getting two thousand a thousand Dad's up over the course at the time. A lot of time people like the going up And that's about one. That's how much you made too, because that's kind of what I figured you made. And I people cant intimidate like I got a fifty thousand for a weekend. It's like not when you first start.
Speaker 6: It's not how we're saying, like you made twenty five hundred, like that's somebody's month.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolute right, And I've thought of that, and there's certain times where I haven't made money on events because you have to understand what is this event bringing to me? Also, is it an event that I have influencers that are going to every single person tag me in their Instagram posts? Because those are deals that I have made too, and I was afraid to make those in the past until I finally made one and I was like, holy shit, I just got fifteen hundred new followers in a day, Like how Because every single person that was there was an influencer or was in their own and their own life a start, whether it was a singer, whether it's an actress, whether it was a songwriter, whether it was an artist, whether it was a banker. They were all at the top of the game at that And when I did that event, I was like, Okay, I need to find ways that I can do.
Speaker 4: Is not a product is going to speak for itself.
Speaker 5: The product is going to speak for itself. People are posting, people are eating, they're having their reactions, and all of a sudden, out of those new fifteen hundred, guess what I just made. Some come from those people booking me. So, like you said, supplying demand and then also you have to make sure that, like you said, I'm doing an event on the nineteenth and the twentieth that's one of the most expensive events I've ever done. I'm doing a collab with griseld Vaie, which is an incredible woman, incredible voice, and we're taching one hundred and seventy five dollars per person. You know, but at the end of the day, people don't know the expense that comes into pulling off an event in New York City on thirty seven seven, where you're just buying a raw stage, a raw form, where you have to buy stage and lights.
Speaker 6: In the highlight of the holiday season and the holiday season where Christmas is in two weeks.
Speaker 5: And that's why we sold it two months ago, where we sold out again in one day. And I'm blessed to be able to say that. You said, supplying demand, if you put yourself available every single day, I'm not going to sell an event out every single day. But if we do it once a month, guess what, people talked about it for a whole month. We're posting for the next one. We're gonna do it again already.
Speaker 4: People haven't experience said that.
Speaker 5: People haven't experienced this event. And the next next that sounds like I'm so high. We haven't even done it yet.
Speaker 3: That sounds like an event that we just did in DC and the streets is we got the streets going crazy. Love that, Atlanta. Don't play yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're telling you now.
Speaker 5: I think I'm gonna come.
Speaker 3: So talk about another thing that you did, Keith.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Puerto Rican drink traditional Puerto Rican I would say Thanksgiving holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and maybe New Year's but that's a little push.
Speaker 4: That's always the gift that they give you. No give you like seventeen bottles in the free So.
Speaker 3: If you're from New York City, you know you got Boikuas Puerto Ricans, you got the minikanos. Dominicans don't do that. They're different. Don't don't ever confuse, don't ever confuse it too right. They have different cultures, different different vibes, but so many similarities for sure, Like we all do absolutely, but that particularly is a Puerto Rican. It's a Puerto Rican thing, right, So you've been a Dominican. What what made you do that?
Speaker 5: I did it as a joke. I did it as a joke. You know, kind of like for the moment, it was funny, and you know, it was one of those things where I was like, let's test the market. This is like five years ago, you know, where Chef Kelvin was finally building his brand. And I'll talking to third person now because even in the even in the streets, I'm not Kelvin anymore. Chef Calvin, your chef. I remember I was on the train once and somebody's yo, Chef. I'm like, oh shit, I made it. Somebody's calling me out on the train. I was like, damn, I can't be on the train. No more joking around, you know. But in reality, the coquito is traditional Puerto Rican. So I did it, and I'm like, let me find ways to What makes a chef unique is making something that's classic, traditional, reinvented, right. So I didn't reinvent the wheel when I made this cokey, I just made it. Mind like everybody makes it with let's make hennessy. Everybody uses these ingredients, let's use those ingredients, but let's add something else into it. I can't tell you the secret. And then again, everybody uses cinnamon. I'm gonna use exotic spices like I'm using, yeah, things that I've used in cooking, so like, that's the cool thing about it. I'm thinking of making coquito as like making a dessert for me, because in reality, it's a little bit sweet, it's thick in flavor, it's coconuty, and it's I use it for like French toast batter. Now I use it to make ice cream. I use it to let's take that to the next level. So of course when I make coquita for the first time, there's a lot of you know, people saying that's not traditional. But it's okay. I'm not looking to be traditional. I'm looking to be Chef Kelvin. So I'm making coquito. That's why my coquito says on the label Coquito by Chef Calvin. If you're looking for traditional like, I'm sure you can find those out there. And again, there's plenty of room for all of us to eat. I know, I had people hit me up on the regular, like, please don't sell your coquito in Jersey, Please don't sell your coquaito in Brooklyn, like you already do enough. I'm like, but I want more. What's the p with one? And more?
Speaker 3: So how did you get that out?
Speaker 5: I posted it on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I posted on Instagram. Back then, I had like thirty thousand followers. I'm blessed to have like almost sixty seven sixty eight now. And I posted it and I said, I made it for myself. I wasn't even selling it. I was like, I just made Henny Cokai throw right away. There were no dms back then, there were just comments. So I posted it on my page and I got flooded with comments in like the first five minutes.
Speaker 4: You said you said the magic word hennessy.
Speaker 5: Hennessy, and They're like, are you selling? And I was like, nah, I'm not selling. So I just made it for my friends. We had it. Then the next year, I was like, let me just make twenty bottle. Let's see what happens. I made it. I sold out in ten minutes, and I said, we're going to make a business next year. Because again I knew I didn't bite off more than I can. True, I wasn't ready to start a business, and I wasn't when I launched it in two thousand and sixteen, but I was fortunate enough that I was working at La Marina and I had a kitchen of disposal. They were only they were only open for a season season, so when we were there in the winter, it was just for private events. So I ended up using their kitchen to make okay thro and I paid some guys that were on my team. They're loyal Alex and David. These guys have been through everything with me, and they're both at a last lap. So even though I'm not our last lap, you know you can get great food with them. But we started a business. We got labels, we got gift bags, we started answering, made up an email, we made up a venmo, a cash shap, opened up a bank account, and we opened up a business.
Speaker 3: How much How much did you sell?
Speaker 5: First year of officially selling, we sold two hundred and fifty bottles, which I thought was not bad for we started late. We started only in December. Yeah, the following year we sold five hundred bottles. And now we're in unofficially year five, we've already sold six hundred bottles and we're not even a peak season yet. So Christmas is our big one. Now we're looking to sell about.
Speaker 3: Three four hundreds. The reason why I love that story also see this is all things that especially food. It's like your grandmother you I you're mahome makes these these homemade RUMs and all these stuff. But it's like in p pople like it, right, but it's like, why is it just limited to your family?
Speaker 5: Absolutely right, You're absolutely right. You can you can sell anything unless the product is good. You can't be afraid. Again, don't reinvent the wheel. Like I said, I'm not doing nothing new. I'm just making the version I'm making in mine. I just made it a little bit different. I'm using Madagascar vanilla bean. That's why you know it's expensive. Each vanilla bean is like five dollars?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that the secret?
Speaker 4: That is one of them? We got some here.
Speaker 5: Already, and I tell people, I'm like, it's vanilla, It's vanilla bean is special. It's it's the reason why you see the specs in the vanilla ice cream. You know, it's it's the reason you see the specs in the criminal lay. But at the end of the day, it's the special spices.
Speaker 3: And it's it's always about the love. You can't duplicate that. But it's always about being creative too. And it's like we're gonna talk about a lot of Marina. But lot of Marina is only open for two months of the year, right, three months.
Speaker 5: I would say, more three pushing events. It would open April and it would close I would say beginning of September.
Speaker 3: But you had access to had access full year year round. So now you used that to pretty much have a free kitchen.
Speaker 5: I found ways. Yeah, I asked, you know, I said, hey, you guys are not doing anything. I even offered to rent. They're like nah, because at the end of the day, the way that no one knew really about my contract, but the way my contract worked. Again, I'm not a greedy guy, so I understand things. If if we were not open full year, I wasn't expecting to get paid full year. But what I did want was the times that we were just seasonal. You put me as an independent contractor and you would still pay me fifty percent of my yearly salary. So I was still getting a check every week, but it wasn't the full one hundred percent. So I needed to find ways to make money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had access, I had access.
Speaker 5: Okay, now I'm going to start doing caterings. Now I'm going to start, you know, doing coquito. Now I'm going to start, and that the opportunity was there. I wasn't. I wasn't afraid to do things that I wasn't expecting. And I also wasn't desperate. I was patient throughout the whole process. Like I said, I sold twenty coith those year one. We're at five hundred now and we're not even halfway through our season.
Speaker 4: Can we Dominican?
Speaker 5: Dominican?
Speaker 4: They show up?
Speaker 3: So all right? Can we talk about I was waiting. I was waiting.
Speaker 4: We just.
Speaker 5: Look at the smile. If you if you have to memory, if.
Speaker 3: You're a loyal listener to a Lisia, you know, how is a second home for us? The basketball tournament. We talked about the basketball tournament a lot because they treat us, they love us.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: Shout out to everybody there. We're actually about to do Chris Gotti Show after this, so shut shout out the Dykman. But so east side, west side, So on the on the east side, on the east side, it's the basketball court on the west side by the water. That was no, we never we didn't tell the stories about Lotarna from New York City. You know about lom Marena. If not you heard fab you was in lot Marina all summer. You see you heard French pull up Arena in a yach boy.
Speaker 5: It made some easy captions on Instagram. Just made me feel like I'm on top of the world even more.
Speaker 3: So, we were gonna get off track for one minute. You was an executive chef and lot Marina at his peak, lom Marina was a beach. The best way I can describe it, It's like a beach front party restaurant had everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, each you had a lounge, you had food trucks, you had.
Speaker 4: Stage, you had a live stage.
Speaker 5: Beautiful women, restaurant, beautiful women. I got in trouble. I was just I was just cooking.
Speaker 3: So can you just explain in a minute, like what was the vibe in lom Marena at that time.
Speaker 5: So I'll tell you two quick vibes. One was imagine being the only sober person at a drunk part. When I was leaving work, kitchen closed that twelve I'm walking down people, I'm just like what, I can't even catch up. There's no way I could catch up. We got it now we're left. So it was always a problem with La Marina because they closed that one o'clock. But the blessing of La Marina also was that entire dykeman wasohiut to Mama Sushi, because those are one of the stories that I always loved telling. Because they started small eighteen seat restaurant, bought the door next door to the right, then bought the ball, they got to the left, and now you got a seventy five seats, and then and then put seats outside, and then they're on their third fourth location. God bless shout out to them that those are the people that I inspired to be like. And I don't even have one location yet, but La Marina was a vibe. So not only the reason I worked there was because I used to party there a lot, and I joked around said in front of the wrong person, I wonder what it'd be like to work here. The opportunity presented itself and still to this day, shout out to Fernando Ma he's the owner of a zona that kuba, which is a dope.
Speaker 4: Spot the street.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and uh in the bronx on top of a post office. I think he paid somebody. I think he paid somebody because the moment, again I was living in Queen's traveling to Washington Heights, I got out the train station and somebody said, Chef Kelvin, welcome to Washington Heights. We've been waiting for you. There's no way.
Speaker 10: There's no way.
Speaker 5: Still to this day, I remember that. But Lo Marina was just it was. It was madness, and I like to say controlled madness. It was the only time where I had it. I had a walking talking on and I'm I'm talking to my Sioux chefs through this walking talkie. You O, the beach is going down. We need more French fries the beach. I need to cooks to go to the beach. French Carmelo. Anthony needs, you know, a tomahawk steak.
Speaker 3: Don't make that happen.
Speaker 5: We're gonna make that happen. It was one of the the greatest experiences ever. I had an amazing team, Like I said, Chef Traill, who they issue, Chef Andy, who's the chef of Suo in the Bronx, Like, these are just guys that are talented. Elio who's in a Michelin Star restaurant in Manhattan, Like that's what makes me proud, because I feel like I'm a proud that even though we're all similar to age, but you.
Speaker 3: You said that also in the business you you turned it around the kitchen around attle bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was hard to come into a place that. This is why when making business decisions, it's hard for me to go to a place that already has an identity because it's hard to change either bad habits or it's hard to change something where people are used to So when I got to La Marina, they already had a standard. They went through a couple of different chefs. The food was not great, and the owners themselves said it, we don't need to really worry about the food. People are gonna come for the view. And I said, what you're doing wrong is you're not giving them another reason to come. People are gonna come regardless the view, the women, the parties, the artists, the maseratis, the ferrarish. It was just cash. Cash is king in the world. Now you don't find a hooka up town because everybody got to put it on the books. But it was such an experience where we learned. So my goal was to bring Chef Kelvin's food to an area that was not understanding it. So after being there for a full summer, I was able to turn around lower the labor costs lower, the food costs increase the food sales. I remember over almost three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars. And again we were only open seasonal, so imagine what I could have done in a full year. We didn't have the opportunities because it gets cold down there by that water. So we did some great closed events, We did some great weddings, and twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen was a year to remember for me for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah we made it right, Yeah we made it.
Speaker 5: We will miss you.
Speaker 3: We will never be forgotten going, but not forgotten. That corner will never be the same, won't. Even the strip is not the same.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not. It's tough, like even me. I live in Riverdale, so I'm close to the madness, but I haven't been out there a while. It's not the same.
Speaker 10: The Dominicans up. We've been saying it also that no meal.
Speaker 3: All right. So in the last segment, we're gonna go into what you got going on now and future endeavors. All right, So we're gonna close it out, which but you have going on now. So I want to first want to talk about our last lap, last lap, so you can talk about so that's that was an establishment that was already open and you partnered right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Last Lap is it's such a great vibe. It's a Caribbean vibe. It's true to like my heart, my soul. Shout out to the guys that Last Lap. They're the reason I'm there because when we started just talking about it, you know, the ViBe's gotta be right. And these guys are young entrepreneurs doing their things, opening different establishments. There's gonna be the last Lap l A. There's gonna be last Lap Miami. There's an opportunity to continue to grow, and those are the right people to do it with. And they were open, and I went to forgot to mention this. I went to France for three months. I lived in Lyon, France. At one point when the Strand decided to close.
Speaker 4: Down, I got a nice your French trains, yeah.
Speaker 5: Classically French trained. I got a nice little severance check and at that moment I did a cooking competition. Circle back again fifteen years. The same people that gave me a scholarship to go to high school gave me an opportunity to win a full scholarship to go to France and live, all expense paid to go to a culinary school in France. Here I am, at thirty something years old, going again learning schooling. You can never stop learning. So I'm the only guy who was in this class who didn't speak French, and here I'm trying to communicate with people. But thank god that food is a universal language. Show me how to cut this, I will cut it the way you want to. Show me how to cook it, I will cook it the way you want it. But the reason I didn't get involved with Last Lap right away was because I was out here doing this three months stint in France, and I got back to Last Slap. We were doing some cool little Ada day vibes, like was there once a month again do the pop up and it was always a successful sold out night. We sat down and they made a deal that I couldn't refuse, and they offered me a partnership and I was able to establish my team there to make me feel comfortable to know that even though that I'm not there, the food is going to be great. So thanks to Chef David, thanks for Chef Alex. Those guys have been with me for ten plus years and it's hard loyalty is a hard thing to find, and these guys make me proud every single day.
Speaker 3: And one thing you said I was interested is like you have like royalties, Like it's like a royalty deal.
Speaker 5: So you know, I watched them a shark tank. As a businessman, you got to learn, right, So you know, I made him an offer of you know, I wanted to make this much amount per area and they said yes, and I should have asked for more, but again, I'm not greedy, so you know I was. I was just grateful for that opportunity. This is the first time that I made a deal like that, and it's been it's been steady.
Speaker 4: You know. I think it's the only place that you can get get So that's this is this.
Speaker 5: Is traditionally you could say Kelvin's kitchen, but in reality, it's the only place that you can get that's my food, you know, aside from getting kill than himself with Kelvin's kitchen, you know, so you know. And and last slap is a small rum bar. We got two floors. It gives you an opportunity to come have some amazing cocktails because they have a great mixology program. And then you never know who's gonna be there the same day that you either. We We've got a lot of celebrities from Rihanna to Michael B. Jordan to uh the list goes on. We're always on page six. That's a great thing.
Speaker 3: So so like, even though you're not there a lot cooking, but you have the recipe. So anytime your dish is sold, or any dishes sold, you get a percentage of that I.
Speaker 5: Get Yeah, I get a fee for each that's sold. Correct it again, it's not bad though he said it better than the people that said it on the On a few other shows, they're like a rape. I'm like, we're not raping nobody. I'm like, and it's tough because it just comes with with the culture and how we learned. But not is the dish that I be Bobby Flay with, And that is also the dish that I've won for years in a row Best Chef in America with Forbes. So I have five different versions of these APAs and the only place you can find those is at Last Lap. So that's the signature star. We have a dish called Adipa Heaven where you get twenty pieces of APAs and it's all all.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 5: It is traditionally like a corn cake almost like it's hard to describe. It's traditionally made with corn, flour and water, and I actually use fresh corn corn right kind of sort of but not really. And I'm gonna say that because it's almost the same ingredients except we're not baking it. We're not. You got to make a dough and then traditionally the doe the dough is griddled or like pan fried. I deep fry minds, so you get that crispy texture. Traditionally, an adipa is stuffed. I put all of my toppings on top of it, so and I make them mini, so you'll have like four adipas to in order. My traditional classic one is we call it the award winner now because that's the one that beat Bobby Flair. It's braised beef, short rib, guacamali, picco, the Gayo lime scented sour cream, cotiha chies, microslatro. So you'll take it, You'll dip it in the sauce. You'll have it in one bite and it's a party in your mouth. It h every every sense that your palette. It's like sweet, salty, crispy, hot, cold, herbaceous, creamy. Mommy, You're like, what the fuck did I just experience?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 6: Pulling up the last last vibe? So you mentioned beating Bobby played with the dish. Now I read this and maybe it's true or not. But prior to that, because you are French training, and were you doing Latin foods prior to this?
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't doing Latin food until I left the Strand Hotel. The first time I got an opportunity to open up a Latin restaurant and that's how I created the ideas at a restaurant called Blend on the Water. So my goal was to go learn as much as I can about Latin food. I'll tell you one hundred percent, I did not know what I was doing until I started asking my mom, asking my dad. Going to you know bar which is like the was or it still is, the number one at bar downtown in the Lower East Side. They had a line around the door, and I'm like, they must be doing something right. So I had their ADEPA. I'm big on textures. It was good, but I'm like, how can I make this different, unique and mine? So we got to the drawing board and created the EPA, the original one that I have now was nowhere near the first one I made. So not everything I make was great. Things take time, things take practice, and let's just say time that perfection takes time.
Speaker 3: Well said, So you, j Low and a Rod's personal How did that? How did that come about?
Speaker 5: Shout out to Duval. This beautiful lady was a fan of mine. Five years ago. She came to one of my events. I did a pop up event in Brooklyn. There was a restaurant called SDQ. It was also like a lounge, and she came to my event and I treated her the way I treat everybody, Like I know you for ten years and you say hi to me, I'm gonna give you a hug. If you show me pictures from last birthdays that you came to celebrate with me, that makes me even more special. So I treated her like I treat everybody. We have a conversation, we'll talk about it made you come here? Have you had my food before? Five years later, fast forward, she's Jlo's personal assistant, and an opportunity presented itself where the chef that they've had for ten years couldn't do Thanksgiving weekend and She's like, I know this chef. I don't know him personally, but I've had his food. He's great with kids, he's great with blah blah blah, this this, that opportunity came presented itself. I hit a home run, and let's say, for a rod, I hit a grand slam, And since then, they hit me up for every time they need something, whether it's a Birthday party for their kids, whether it's Memorial Day in the Hamptons, whether it's Christmas in Miami, which I'm going next a couple of weeks, and then New Year's even la. I'm blessed to say that anywhere they need me, I go.
Speaker 3: You know, a personal chef is actually a good investment something that I'm going to look into in a New Year, because I know a guy. It's like it's like I always said, like a personal trainer and a personal chef. It was a good investment.
Speaker 5: You're investing in your mind too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, personal chefs.
Speaker 3: Wife, I was like, well that's that's a good investment. Might investing investing in your mind body? You better say that for sure, especially because it's like when you want to run a lot, you can't cook like you don't have time to cook, especially like you know, you got dietary ships. I'm trying to go vegan. So it's like, stop dating a.
Speaker 5: Girl because she was vegan. You know it's tough. I'm a chef, man, I'll be and I try.
Speaker 3: You could be a vegan shock, but I can't.
Speaker 5: I can be a vegan check, but I can't be a vegan shock. I can't be a vegan check. And I tried it. Like we dated a couple of years ago when on a couple of dates and I was vegan. When I took some of the best Michelin Star restaurants that were vegan, I'm like, what the I need steak?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 5: And then yo, I would take a home and I'll go get a burger or something, and I'm like, Yo, this is crazy. I'm eating twice, I'm spending doubles of money out. It's not gonna work out. This is not gonna work out. This is not gonna work out. I laugh about it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Why I take you someone to get home? Ah, man, not traffic. I'll stop that hurricane.
Speaker 5: Shout out to you. That's that's not easy. And I have some vegan friends that they hold me to it, and like even doing this event on the nineteenth and twentieth, I had to put a vegetarian menu because I know so many people that support Grisel and support her are all vegetarians and vegans, so I got to make sure that that offers.
Speaker 3: And that's another lane too, especially like there's so many athletes and entertainers and just you know, high level business people that like personal chefs is like a whole another lane.
Speaker 5: It's a it's definitely a world in its own. But it takes a special type of person to do that because at the end of the day, you sacrifice your entire life, not only just a cooking to the person that you're working with. Then, because they they're requiring, their needs are a lot different than any other cook chef.
Speaker 3: You're like, they're beck and call at all times.
Speaker 5: And that's why I when I decided to do person no chefing, I had my own requirements and restrictions. And it's like, one, I would never stay at the person's house. I would need my own hotel because I tried it once and no matter what, I'm staying in the twenty million dollar house, I can't sleep in a bed knowing that I work downstairs. Or imagine I always joke around. Imagine I'm hungry and I'm gonna go make a grill cheese sandwich I one o'clock in the morning and somebody says, can you make me want to fucking kitchen is clothes?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: I would make it gladly.
Speaker 3: Did you hear about But that's just something I always joke around with. Did you have did you hear about ditty story with his personal show?
Speaker 5: No, I didn't hear ditty story. Imagine ditty story.
Speaker 3: I will tell you, ye shot, I got crazy, it got crazy. I got.
Speaker 6: Can we talk about the branding, because obviously you have. You've done an amazing job on social media doing that, and it's led to some deals with Fogo.
Speaker 5: On blessings and again, these are things that I tell people that are always asking me, how did you get some man followers? How'd you do this? And I was like, I am giving you what I'm saying. I'm giving you. So if I'm a chef page, I'm gonna give you food. I'm going to give you things that are related to chefs. I'm gonna give you some tips, I'm gonna give you some recipes. I'm gonna not be afraid. The only thing I'm not gonna give you is Michael Keat the recipe and my APPI recipe. So, guys, I love you to death, just stop asking anything that I make money on I can't give you. But again, it's one of those things where you have to stay true to what you're trying to sell, what you're trying to do, and who you're trying to be. So I am Chef Kelvin, my Instagram is Chef Kelvin, and I'm going to give you everything that has to do with food. Instagram stories are a little bit different. You can get a little bit more personal. You can show traveling, you can show family, you can show friends. But at the end of the day, I'm giving you what I promised that I was going to give you. You have to stay consistent and at the end of the day, you have to make sure that what you put on your feed is true to you. And you can't be afraid to post because you're not going to get a lot of likes. So I'm actually a little bit happy with the whole you know, removing likes, because at the end of the day, you'll know still that someone is getting a lot of insights and a lot of people coming to them when the comments are there, because you can tell when someone has a real fifty thousand dollars following and someone has a bought fifty thousand following. You can have ten thousand likes, but if you have two comments, something's wrong. Engagement engagements completely off, you know, because if I post something and I'm going to get a thousand likes, I'm going to get a hundred comments.
Speaker 3: And it's That's something I learned early on as far as social media. Friend of mine told me that you should be able to look at somebody's page without reading their bio and know what they do.
Speaker 5: Agree. Reading your bio is just say everything that you do, and you're, well, you can't say everything because then my my characters will run out right away. But you would have to say in your bio, you would say who you are, what you do, and what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They should be able to tell without reading it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely agree.
Speaker 3: So it's like a lot of time people through all kinds of random nonsense pictures and memes and it's like, what's happening?
Speaker 5: What are we here for?
Speaker 3: But it's going on the message I'm confused. I'm confused.
Speaker 5: If it's there for fun, then cool. But if it's for business, yeah, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: You can't. You got to sacrifice that. And this page is like a reflection of like how people are going to look at your business.
Speaker 5: I like the way you said that without reading your bios, should be able to talk just by looking at pictures.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 5: And I learned that. I even tried doing like a personal page and that didn't work because I have no time to let alone. Yeah, this is my personal life, so stop with the personal stuff. If you know me on a personal level, you know that you get the same guy that you get as a chef level. You know. But building that brand, you have to learn that it takes time. You have to be patient. You can't rush for the likes. And I know that now because I just started YouTube and I'm hitting up one of my friends who has been an expert on YouTube, and she's done multiple videos, and I'm reaching out to her. I'm like, but if I put it on Instagram, I'll get fifty thousand likes, But if I put it on YouTube, I only have a thousand likes. She says, you have to wait, You have to be patient. And I learned and I'm like, not, we're not patient in this world. We don't even read in this world. And I learned that because I get my card told on a regular basis, and I can't get mad at clients. I'm being that honest I get I'm like, oh, can I park here? It's like six signs yes, yes, yes, Okay, I forgot the last one, and I get mad at clients when I'll give you all the information, like, for example, to purchase my coquito, you got to send an email to Coquito's by Chef Kelvin at gmail dot com. You say hello, you can say all the information you want. You're gonna automatically get a response that says thank you for your inquiry. Here's the product, Here's how much it costs. Here's the size of the bottle. Here's how we can deliver, here's forms of payment. Everything that you can ever ask me first question, how much is the bottle?
Speaker 4: How much.
Speaker 5: To All the information you need is in the in the in the last, And you have to be patient. So you have to be patient all sets alike. So even now that you know ten years, fifteen years, I'm going to say now when I turned thirty five in July, I'm going to be cooking for twenty years. So building this brand for twenty years. Everything that I've wanted is happening right now at this moment. Brand deals with Infinity. You know, I have an awesome commercial that's coming out where I'm honored to know that Infinity, that luxury brand wants to follow me around for a day and tell my story, and it's going to be an awesome commercial. Can wait to share that. You know, I'm a chef and with the Institute of Culinary Education, even though that's not my alma mater, I'm so happy to be with them. They give me an opportunity to tell my story on blog posts, to use their kitchen for YouTube shows, for if I want to shoot a book, if I want to just come in and prep for an event. I'm grateful for people like that that believe in me, believe in the brand, and and help me take my career to a level that I wouldn't imagine doing.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: I think it's important and as you mentioned, you know, companies like Wells Fargo to see my Instagram page and say, you know, we want to partner up and collab with this guy because what he's doing is positive, so I know that he can be the right guy that will share our message. And I'm always smiling, so I have people say I have a million dollar smile. It comes with making people happy.
Speaker 3: Chef Calvin, Man, you want thank you for coming. Appreciate it. Appreciate it anything you want to tell the people your Instagram, social media and thing you got coming up.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Man, I appreciate you guys for having me, letting me tell my story on a whole different platform because I'm able to tell people my story and inspire. So I always say if I can inspire one person from one thing that I do per day, my job is done. The most important thing is if I can offer some people advice that want to become a young entrepreneur. Is back to what I said, surround yourself by greatness. Don't be afraid of not making a lot of money now, don't chase the money. The money will come chasing you. I'm at a point in my career where i can greatly say that I'm turning down gigs because there's just so many things coming in. So as the team expands, I'm looking forward to growing my YouTube show. Starting my cookbook in January and cookbook, yeah, that's number one thing. It's cookbook and cooking classes. So I'm going to try to get back on the cooking classes. Looking for a venue. All my social media is chef Kelvin c h E F K E l v I N. Don't look at my page after midnight. You're only going to make yourself hungry in advance. But thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 3: Thanks you man. Troy housekeeping it on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shout everybody on patreon dot com. I know that's our proud to pay program. The support on it has been tremendous, man, and it's beautiful. We got to actually get to speak and and and engage with some of our patrons and the list keeps growing. So shout everybody that's supporting that. You know that if you are a Tier four or five member, you are access to Alisia University, which is our online school. Shots wearing the merch, shout everybody, Yo, the merchant has been moving like crazy.
Speaker 4: Man. We put up the merchant.
Speaker 6: The sales were out out the door man the first day, So shout everybody that's purchased the merch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, you want to talk about university.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nivirsually, we're about to actually do a class, like right now, he's not joking. It's three classes every single week. We do a real estate class on Monday, we do a floating class on Wednesday. Me and Troy do a class every Thursday. And starting in the new year, we're going to have e Yo. Yeah for sure, so you know we it's an interactive at zoom. We get to ask questions. It's really dope. It's really dope experience. And yeah, don't forget Atlanta, Atlanta VIP experience. We are coming January twenty six. It's gonna be crazy live podcast, networking event, open bar, dinner, and then we're gonna have a workshop the next day. Alumnis is gonna be there. We're gonna be there. It's gonna be a whole vibe. So events tab on our website on your leisure dot com.
Speaker 4: Don't play yourself.
Speaker 3: No, Atlanta, we got we can't wait to touch the town for sure. And the book tip of this week is Kitchen Confidential by the late great Anthony Bardain Peace for sure, so I thought that would be fitting. Chef recommended that book himself.
Speaker 4: He read it four times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's it. Thank you guys for rocking with us. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 4: Peace Peace, Coach.
Speaker 11: The energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 8: It was the new game day scratches from the California lock Play is everything. Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 11: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 8: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach.
Speaker 11: One more question played the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace Play responsibily. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim