Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Friday, January sixteenth, and only four US presidents in history have ever won the Nobel Peace Prize. But as of this morning, five presidents have a Nobel Peace Prize. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. This no shit Sherlock episode of Amy and TJ. Okay, I saw this one coming. I want to take credit and say we called it, but everybody should have called this.
Speaker 2: You called it.
Speaker 1: Everybody should have called it.
Speaker 2: Took more than one minute. You just were off on your timing.
Speaker 3: But maybe it didn't though we just found out about it a few hours after the fact. Maybe it was within the first minute, so I stand corrected, or at least I don't know. But you mentioned how many presidents have received this honor?
Speaker 2: How many of them have been gifted this honor.
Speaker 3: President Trump is likely the only person who has been given the Nobel Peace Prize from someone other than a Norwegian institution.
Speaker 1: She dropped it off, she came, she came bearing gifts. The current Nobel Prize Laureate brought her physical Nobel Prize medal to the White House, and she gave it to President Donald J. Trump yesterday.
Speaker 2: Do you think there were strings attached.
Speaker 1: They were understood strings, even if they weren't fully articulated or written down. I think obviously we know what's going on here. She wants power in Venezuela. There's another group already that wants to hold on to power. You essentially have two women now in President Trump's ears saying gimme, gimme, gimme, and they want his support. He is being wooed in some ways now publicly and who knows how much privately. But yes, she yes, she knows what she's doing and playing this carefully. So we talked about it. She is the opposition leader, yes, in Venezuela that many people felt should be in power right now. She tried to run in two thousand and twenty three, twenty twenty three, the election. Within twenty twenty four, she was essentially forced to quit that race. Has been in hiding. This woman has been in hiding over her safety and won a Nobel prize and gave it away.
Speaker 2: Think about this. She won a Nobel Prize.
Speaker 3: That she was too unsafe to actually physically personally accept. She was in Oslo, but her daughter had to accept the award for her.
Speaker 2: That's how much.
Speaker 3: She has put her life on the line for the country that she loves, and so she gets this coveted, incredible honor that again she has put herself in so much danger to receive. And then she just flies to Washington d c. Walks into the White House and hands it over in a beautiful plaque to President Trump.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it wasn't in a bag or a box, so she didn't pull it out of her pocket. This she went to Frame Bridge before going to the White House. This thing was beautifully done. It in a nice frame. What do you call that type of frame it is?
Speaker 2: It's a gilded frame. Gilded gilded frame.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: That is it's fit for a presidential plaque or certainly it looks the part, and it would be beautiful hanging just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: And he has it now. He wasn't awarded it. He's smiling fine in that picture. But roads he has been campaigning like shamelessly. That shouldn't be a bad word, but he has no shame about saying to anybody who will listen, Yep, I deserve it, and it's a shame I didn't win it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like a wanna be fiance walking by a jewelry store to her fiance, like dropping major heavy hints about exactly what she wants and when she wants it.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what's been happening.
Speaker 1: And then the more and more go that she doesn't get it, things get a little more hostile, don't they. And now this is what's happening with the president. He did, he got even I think some of his language. He said they were embarrassed by what happened by not giving it to him.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, that was one of my favorite parts about this, that this whole when he found out and he knew Machada was coming to the White House to give him, among other obviously she wanted to have a conversation with him, but he knew a big part of her visit she was going to give him physically this Nobel Peace Prize medal.
Speaker 2: And yes, the funny thing is he made.
Speaker 3: A point to say that the folks in Oslo are just so embarrassed that they've just completely screwed up and they can't believe the error of their ways.
Speaker 2: That's not exactly what we're hearing from Oslo.
Speaker 1: FYI obviously not. But he has had no shame the first year of his presidency. At every turn the number moves, he said, I've settled seven, settled eight wars, and then there was one point he said there was a half one he settled.
Speaker 2: Eight and a half. Is that where we're at?
Speaker 1: There was that, But he has absolutely said he deserved this thing. She said immediately after she got it at the end of last year, wasn't it It was just October that they announced that she was the winner. She didn't even have this thing long enough to enjoy it, so she just got it. But at the time of the announcement she said she was accepting on behalf of in honor of President Trump. So this moment has been coming robes now. We saw her walk in. I was paying look, I don't know how that that thing was pretty big. It's huge that it was framed. I was I don't know what I was thinking, as if she would be carrying it in. But I was watching the video of her going into the White House. Oh is she carrying anything? How big is her purse? Can you feel a medal?
Speaker 3: It's actually a small medal, you pointed out, you said it, and then I ended up looking at pictures later it really does kind of look like a penny, like a slightly enlarged pretty penny. But it is not a large medal. It's not what you would think. I guess I'm thinking of like our running medals or an Olympic medal. It's it's very different.
Speaker 1: It's under stated, it is, but she packaged it now in such a way.
Speaker 2: It's larger than life.
Speaker 1: And it is a centerpiece in any room. Now, this thing will tell you says it's a gilded frame, but if you had to get me, it's at least the size of a movie poster. When you say the way to say it.
Speaker 3: She's smart. She knew her audience, she knew who she was giving it to. The bigger the better.
Speaker 1: And so let's tell you now what it says on it. There's kind of a one section at the top with a line and something in the middle, and then a hole rite up at the bottom. But we'll tell you exactly what this thing says. And it's fair to say the metal is kind of fram right dead center for the most part of it, and then some language at the top and at the bottom.
Speaker 3: All right, it says to President Donald J. Trump, in gratitude for your extraordinary leadership in promoting peace through strength, advancing diplomacy, and defending liberty and prosperity. Presented as a personal symbol of gratitude on behalf of the Venezuelan people and recognition of President Trump's principled and decisive action to secure a free Venezuela. The courage of America and It's President Donald J. Trump will never be forgotten by the Venezuelan people.
Speaker 1: That's some ego stroking. I mean, that's uh, that's good stuff.
Speaker 3: His name was in there three times, in one, two, three and four sentences.
Speaker 2: His name was in three lines. She knows her audience this look.
Speaker 1: And it's a The picture is a little it's fine, but he's he's holding it right in the picture and she's standing right next to him.
Speaker 3: In the Oval office. Yes, I actually was just looking at Yes, he is holding it and it's almost as big as him.
Speaker 2: And he's like he.
Speaker 3: Has a grin on his face where he actually looks like an eight year old boy. I'm not kidding that that is how I would describe that grin. It's childishly sweet almost in a way, like he's so excited he got what he wants. It's like he opened up his Christmas present and it was the I don't know, the bb gun he always wanted, Like what.
Speaker 1: It looks like? I know this look on my face at my fifth birthday party when I got this g I Joe set that I really wanted exactly because I know there's love, but it looks like I know this look very well. I didn't think about this. You put me in that mindset, and right now I went back to a memory from forty three years ago in.
Speaker 2: My life that was child it's childlike joy it.
Speaker 1: Is and that's cool. That makes him happy. That's cool. Now what happens I really wonder what happens next year? He's going to get nominated next year? What is the is he?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I mean yes, you're right, anybody nominate him?
Speaker 1: Yes, But now that's going to be an even bigger pressure campaign. And then he'll come out and say he's the only person in the history to have received two Nobel Prizes, or it is going to be Are they going to be so annoyed with him next year?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Or are they going to bow?
Speaker 3: Look, I look, we I can't guess in this world the way people have kissed his ring and they've understood that it's just better for them to do so.
Speaker 2: And that has been what we have seen.
Speaker 3: The majority of folks do people make complete about faces like Mark Zuckerberg, and you know, you can just go the list goes on and on. But they've just realized that it's better to have Trump like you than the opposite. And so, yes, there's the carrot, but there's the stick, and both of them are effective when it comes to Trump, and he has made it very clear he is unafraid the trump. Well, no, he will give you the stick either either he'll give you the carrot because he likes you, or he'll give you this stick when he doesn't. I guess I meant he was wielding the carrots and the sticks.
Speaker 1: Even if he gives you a carrot, it's a good chance a stick is coming later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you better.
Speaker 3: It's just it's it's it's only on a temporary basis. Yeah, it's your last act whatever it was, that's what you get. Yes, But I I wonder though, you know, the Scandinavians and Norwegians they are a.
Speaker 1: A rule following, very polite, very formal group of folks. They are not going to mix. They are not going to rattle. They know that there is order there like I have never seen this.
Speaker 2: Emotion does not rule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not upset.
Speaker 3: Culturally speaking, emotion does not rule these firs. Yes, And if you've ever visited that part of the world, you'll know exactly what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Or if you're related to or you are you know, and it's just a way of operation over there.
Speaker 3: So I it would be hard for me to imagine a world in which they would then next year say, you know what we messed up last year, We're gonna give.
Speaker 2: It to you this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, anything could happen, but that will be fascinating.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. But folks, what does this mean now? Is she still officially the Nobel Laureate or has it been transferred to President Donald J. Trump. Well you could probably guess, but just to make sure there was no confusion, the Nobel Institute made sure to clear this up. Stay here, we'll tell you what they said about this trans of the prize. All right, we continue here on Amy and TJ. Robes. You pointed something out about the picture that we just don't I don't know. People have their opinions about Donald Trump. You don't get a lot of opportunities to look and go, oh that's sweet. Really, I mean, you look and you Okay, he got what he wanted. You can make complaints about how he got it, how he went about, but he got something he really wanted. And it's you don't get a lot of times to read an emotion on his face outside of anger or right, he's usually fiery. He looked like he was really happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because usually we're used to seeing these photos of Trump and look, he's made it very and he pays a lot of attention to the photos that are used of him. He switched them out in the White House, he switched them out in various areas. When he doesn't like how he looks, he makes it very clear. So he cares immensely about his facial expressions, what a photo says about him. So I just actually got a kick out of seeing this photo because it's unlike all the others where he shows this, you know, this terse face, this face of strength, this don't mess with America face, like that's kind of his thing. And you can see, you know, he juts his jaw out, he's got a stern. Look, he looks like an eight year old in this photo.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you're no, I'm not being Your heart softens a little. You're like, oh, there.
Speaker 1: Is it's in there.
Speaker 2: There is somebody in there who is sweet and.
Speaker 3: Excited and childlike. He's in there somewhere and he's in that picture.
Speaker 2: He's come out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm looking at it closer now is it awkward? Is it an awkward photo?
Speaker 2: I just it. It's unbridled excitement. And if he knew he was making.
Speaker 1: That pit you still there? Okay, Look, she looks like.
Speaker 2: She's gritting her teeth like I have to do this. It's almost like you could actually.
Speaker 3: Kind of I hate to say this, but put a gunder her head and that smile would also read like they have two very different smiles.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know, but you're right. This was not supposed to be a podcast they analyze the face.
Speaker 3: It just jumped out at me when I saw am it was such an unusual.
Speaker 2: Photo of President Trump.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Well again the Nobel Institute. Look, when this was being talked about in recent weeks, they took I don't know if it's an extraordinary step or not. But they had to clear things up for people in explaining if someone who is a Nobel Prize laureate, can you actually give your Nobel prize to somebody else? And I guess rope with the answer is yes and no, and it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yes. They put out an official statement they said this, the Norwegian Nobel Committee and the Norwegian Nobel Institute receive a number of requests for comments regarding the permanence of a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate's status.
Speaker 2: The facts are clear and well established.
Speaker 3: Once a Nobel Prize is announced, it cannot be revoked, shared or transferred to others. The decision is final and stands for all time. I love that last little bit, but it's funny. I just they wanted it to be very, very very clear, and I think that's pretty clear. They also the Post described this a medal can change owners, but the title of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate cannot. So that is what they said on X on Thursday, after it appeared that this transfer or this that Machado had given Trump the medal.
Speaker 2: That was their response on X.
Speaker 1: And it took I believe Ropes hours after she left the White House for word to officially come out, because she made some comments to reporters and a crowd that was surrounding her, and she just said, I presented the medal to him, and there was confusing did he accept it or where is it now? And we had no idea. It was more than just the handing over of them. This was a big framed, planned exchange yeat.
Speaker 3: Once she said or suggested that she was going to do it, there was no going back because he had an expectations or everything right, and clearly he expected her to bring this medal to him.
Speaker 2: He expected her to give this medal to him.
Speaker 3: So if she showed up empty handed, I cannot even imagine that would have gone.
Speaker 2: How long that meeting was, you know, expectations are everything.
Speaker 1: Wow, and to build it up. Yeah, that would have been enough. But hey, we it's what you do right. People come to your house. Last few guests we've had here at the house, they bought a bottle of wine, there were some champagne, there were little serving dishes. She brought a Nobel prize. You bring something to the house when you vidit, somebody folks want to hop out and give you that update and update that we could have recorded this probably on Wednesday and it wouldn't have changed much. But yes, five US presidents now have a Nobel Peace Prize. Four have woned with that, folks who always appreciate you's been some time with us. You can look for our morning run that'll be on the feed here in just a little bit, our News daily podcast. But until then, Framie Ropebok, I'm t J. Holmes. Talk to y'all, real, real,