Speaker 1: The volume. The eighty two game preseason is in the books, and it is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 3: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 2: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell Casino w in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins See DKG dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: The playoffs are upon us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace for playoff basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game Time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices views from your seat. The Lord's Price Guarantee game Time takes the guests work out of buying tickets, save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the Lord's Price Guaranteed or game Time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guest work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out, create an account, use code Nightcap twenty.
Speaker 3: Dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again.
Speaker 1: Creat an account, Redeem code Nightcap Nightcap for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Hello ladies and.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, and thank you for joining us again for another episode of Nightcap Olympic Style. I am your favorite UNC Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite. Number eighty five, the Route Runner Extraordinaire, the Bengal Ring of Fame, Honoree, the Legendary, the pro Bowler, the.
Speaker 3: All Pro Samoju Coo.
Speaker 1: Y'all know it from Liberty City, Chad o Cho Senko Johnson, and again, thank you for joining us. Ladies and gentlemen. Please make sure you hit that like button. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button, and guys, go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. And remember you are the reason we have become what we become, and we thank you for Make sure you check out my shade by Laportier. We have it back in stock and I promise you will not have to wait a month, two months, three months to get your ship made in We have it in stock and we'll make sure we flip it around and get it to you asap. Thank you very much again. Please go follow my media company page on all platforms. That's Shayshape Media and my clothing company that's eighty four. Eighty four is spelled out. The league is pinned at the top of the chat. We have a very very special interview later tonight with Bobby Fink, who single handedly saved the US men's swim team because they were about to get shut out for the first time and one hundred and twenty years if they did not win an individual gold medal. He saved the day with his world record winning time in a fifteen hundred meter freestyle. But first, the US women cruise passed Australia to reach their eight consecutive Olympic game. This is the first time in Olympic history the teams will face the exact same team the men phrase of France, and the women will also face France. After moving Jackie Young into the starting lineup in the quarterfinals against Nigeria, reeve it stuck with that same starting five Young, Wilson, Stewart, Nafisia Collier and Chelsea Gray and against Australia, Young, for the third time in as many games, provide a huge part for the offense team US, and she had fourteen points five assents the most and she was very good defensively on the perimeter. Oh shoe, look, I don't think anybody is surprised that the women are here. They really expected to be here. They've kind of cruised through this. We have them the women. Look, we have the best women, you got it. I mean there's no international woman that's going to track the top five, maybe not even the top ten. That's not the same. On the men's side. You know, they have Nicola Yokich. You know, they have giannis Anta Takunpo. You know they have a Shas from Canada, and they have Luca. So you know, you have four guys right there that's probably anybody that's polling is going to be in the top ten players. And so that's luxury that the men have that the women's not up against. That's not to take anything away from the women. You still got to win the game. And if we saw yesterday, I think the Serbs only have two guys that's playing professionally in the NBA, and they gave the US who all their players are currently playing in the NBA all all. He gave them more than they could handle. But congratulations to the women. Out of how much of this game did you watch Ojo.
Speaker 4: A little bit of it as they dominated, They dominate the entirety of the game.
Speaker 5: They look really good.
Speaker 4: Obviously, like you say, they've been on somewhat a cruel control because there hasn't been anybody to challenge them yet they were gonna win goal. That's what we said before the Olympics even started, that there was nobody was going to challenge them unless you know, they were just shooting crazy from the field, obviously from the three, to give them a game. And I said myself, the only way that happens if they happen to run into competition that shoots efficient from the field, then ladies will probably step up their play and win the game anyway. But right now, you know, as far as I'm gonna turn, they're going to be France. They're going to get goal and bringing on.
Speaker 1: So when you look at a situation, they shot fifty percent from the floor, they shot forty one percent from the three, they shot ninety one percent from the free throw line, you had thirty one per cent, You had turnovers. I'm sure sure coach Rivez won't like that turnover. But look at one point the game was what eighty to fifty eight they were winning.
Speaker 3: You look at the.
Speaker 1: Numbers, let you know there was really no struggle. Breonna story only played twenty three minutes. Asia played minutes Jackie Young played twenty minutes, Chelsea Gray played nineteen, car You played twenty four, and then you even the reserves got in and played big minutes.
Speaker 3: The only one that.
Speaker 1: Didn't play huge minutes was probably DT and Jewel Lord, but Khalia Cooper played twenty minutes, Kelsey Plum played eleven minutes. A Neskul played ten, BG played nineteen, and Alyssa Thomas played sixteen, So there was really there was really no doubt. You look at the rebinding, oh ho out rebounding the forty six to thirty four, UH had ten steals, had five blocks.
Speaker 5: It's almost it's almost. Yeah, it's almost unfair.
Speaker 4: Statistically in almost every category, regardless to who they're playing, even when they're not shooting well. Still, it's like nobody has a chance. And it's probably gonna be that. It's probably gonna be like this in twenty twenty eight. It's gonna probably be big guns.
Speaker 3: Will still be there. I mean, Asian Wilson will be back and you'll be back.
Speaker 1: You know, you're probably gonna have another big rebound on the glass and Reece and you would also probably have Caitlin Clark. A lot of these, a lot of these young ladies will be back in twenty eight. That's that's in four years. Uh, Asia can't be no more than twenty seven. I was Asia twenty seven, twenty eight. So if DT, if DT played DT, is like forty forty one twenty eight. Yeah, uh stut'll be back. Yeah, the big guns will be back. And now you're gonna and a lot of these younger have gotten experience playing. You see car Or she has experienced Jackie Young, Alissa Thomas, uh BG's probably the Hollers b GBG probably what thirty two thirty three. I don't know if you'll be back. I mean she walked to me and you got you got hyped. I know, I know Chilan got that one. One young lady, she's seventeen. She's too young to compete. She's seven three Oh.
Speaker 6: Joke, right yeah, three yeah, listen, go ahead, what would make wouldn't make no difference, wouldn't make no difference? Seven three eight three nine three We coming home?
Speaker 3: True? True. But congratulations to the women. Eight straight final.
Speaker 1: I think they've won like sixty games straight in Olympic competition. Nobody's surprised by that. We have the best players and they continuously show us that every time they go into meaningful competition and uh, maybe losing to the w NBA All Star served of the work wake up call because it's been whipping hell out of everybody since.
Speaker 3: So, uh, congratulations to the women.
Speaker 1: Great job. Let's let's finish the task. Uh now, oh show the US women won goal. In the four by one, she carried Richards and pulled away and style, and in the anchor leg the four by one, she didn't have to worry about getting out the block quickly despite the elitists of the American sprinters Melissa Jefferson, Tanisia Terry t t Terry hand in the Gabby she needed to come from behind. And we always man and women were addressed the man of the minute. Oh Joe, we always have the most horse power. But the problem is, it doesn't matter how much horsepower you have if the driver can't drive the car. And so we it took, it took shir Carrie did what Shaki was supposed to do, track down everybody. She got the baton in fourth and as long as it was close.
Speaker 3: Because it didn't matter who they had.
Speaker 1: The Great Britain team that had Danielle Nita on the co leg I wasn't really concerned about anybody else, and they kind of didn't have the best handoff between but I knew Germany or anybody else they didn't stand a chance. And with no Jamaicans, the Jamaican team in the field, it was a good but she was in fourth with nine meters to go, and then when she got the baton, hey she like.
Speaker 3: You thought you had that home.
Speaker 5: Listen, finishing finishing style.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm not sure if she was looking at her competitors, or she was looking at that camera to the far right of her to let people know, you know, a time competitors you think so.
Speaker 3: By girls stopped playing, okay.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, it looked like she looked right at the camera.
Speaker 4: You know that camera that's right camera with them right. That's why I said, I thought she looked at the camera, looking at the camera like oh you thought, yeah, okay, that was that's that's how that's how you finished racing style.
Speaker 5: Listen. Some people won't like it. I enjoy it. I enjoy that making it fun, making it exciting.
Speaker 4: That is entertainment, the entertainment value that track and field needs because the exposure, you know, we were.
Speaker 5: Talking about Grand Halloway.
Speaker 4: Grand Holloway was talking about some of the you know, one of the commercials and the ads and then the shoe deals, see stuff like that's why she has the makeup, the makeup stuff, the Nike commercials. Like, you got to add that dynamic and that personality to you, to your to your repertoire and it will come.
Speaker 1: It's just hard, oh, show when your two big meets one happened once every four years and the other happened. You got two of those, and you got two Worlds. So and in four year span you really got three big events. You got the two Worlds and you got the Olympics, and so it's kind of it's hard, right.
Speaker 5: You could plant though you gotta you could plant those seeds now.
Speaker 4: Though you can plant those seeds now with all the tournaments that you do have throughout the season them seas.
Speaker 1: Just imagine in the regular season if in sixteen games, you only got a chance to see Patrick Mahomes eight times, or you only got a chance to see Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: Because all these.
Speaker 1: Meets, everybody's not showing up no matter the Diamond League. So basically they're only showing up for the Worlds, in the Olympics, the big meats, they don't show what So what am I?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: How do I?
Speaker 1: How do I sell that? How do I convince the people to get behind it? When no allows it is not showing up, he's not. They're not going overseas. It's just too much. And I'm going over the seas for one oh Joe for fifteen grand.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 5: Oh they're not. They don't pay Oh shit, no, damn.
Speaker 1: So it just it's just it's just hard. I mean, it's it's right, it's sad. I mean, I mean, you know, I think people in the chat, I think we love it, we love track and field. I think people get behind it and maybe they just get behind it because it's once serious, once in every four quarter events.
Speaker 3: But I like it.
Speaker 1: But uh, like the Americans have now won three of the last four Olympics. In the one lap they lost Tokyo, but since then we've been We've burned it up. Are women very proud of them? Gabby won the UH won the gold in the two hundred jakiri UH and Melissa Jefferson got you know what they get? What do they get? They got silver? And Bronz we got silvern bronze. Right, we got silver and brons in one hundred meters. We won gold in the four by four, so the women should be very very proud. Sid did with Sid did the one, you know, the hurdles, another world record. I don't think we've disappointed. I think the women have done very very well. We still got three women in the hurdle finals, and and one of our ladies have the fastest time, so if we should, we should at least get on the podium. Wouldn't be surprised that we snuck up there and got the gold. But Camacho Quinn is not to be messed when she's the reigning Olympic champ. But I like where we've I like kind of how we positioned ourselves. We still have the four by four men's and women.
Speaker 5: Okay, you said we still have hurdles left. What hurdle events women?
Speaker 3: The women's hundred meters?
Speaker 5: Okay? When is the yes tomorrow?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, And we still got the four by four women.
Speaker 1: We still got the four by four men, so we gotta we got an We got a guy an eight hundred meter. I think Bryce Hopple. Is it Bryce hopp or Hobbes Kessler, I think only one. I think Bryce Hopple made it. I don't think Kessler only one. Only one of our guys made it.
Speaker 3: I know that. So but I'm I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I'm very very happy with over one hundred, one hundred medals total. I think we're tied right now. And we still got men's with hop hop yeah, Bryce Hopple. Uh, we still got men and women basketball. We still got the four by four. We got both of those, so I like kind of like and we got the hurdle events left, so we still have an opportunity. Nobody obviously nobody's gonna catch this for the most total medals, but I think at the end of the day, the Americans want to end up on top with the most gold as well as total medals. So, uh, that's going really well. Congratulations to the the women that's doing very good. Uh we run a silver. Oh we got silver and bronze and the what you call them shoe the two hundred two Brittany Brown.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, we got got gold bronze.
Speaker 1: And then we got silver bronze right in one hundred meters. Yeah, so hey, we we the women. The women showed out the women.
Speaker 5: Showed they did definitely did.
Speaker 1: Uh man, it's we still have three athletes, as I mentioned, Massi Russell, Alisa, Alicia Joshon and great start.
Speaker 3: So we got three women.
Speaker 1: I'm expecting at least want them to get them get on the podium.
Speaker 4: M Yeah, you know Messiah over there, she's wrong with my daughter she Kentucky with a smoker. Yeah, Massia over there with more.
Speaker 1: But the Jamaicans they didn't they I mean, they didn't qualify. They did they had a team?
Speaker 3: Did they have did they have a team.
Speaker 1: But when you lose Shelley and Fraser, you lose Eline Thompson, Harrow, you lose sha Rika Jackson. I think Tilla Clayton I think was the only one that they didn't have nearly enough. It looks like Shelley Ann just was her last Olympics. Eline Thompson harro on her body, she's starting to get a little older, her body's starting to break down, shri Rika. We'll see how that pans out in the World's next year in twenty five. But the thing that the Jamaicans do, they and they've talked about it, they got a pipeline. You go, when you go to the what is that depend relays? And you look at those high schoolers, the Jamaican teams, they went the four by four, they went on, they win it all the time.
Speaker 3: So they got.
Speaker 1: Young runners that's coming up and it's a pride thing for them.
Speaker 3: It means a lot to them, it means a lot.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like I guess they treated like when you go to Duke or you play in North Carolina with how much it means. The pride is saying I'm a duke, blu devil and you have that bond forever.
Speaker 3: You look at all the great runners.
Speaker 1: Now the women had a longer kind of a longer history uh than the men, but they've had some solid men as well. But when you look at the women, goes back to Merlin and Oddi and Julian kirkbuk Uh. They've had a run here o cho last forty years. The women have been very, very good at running. Merlin ADDI normally she's always a round on that podium, be at the one hundred or the two hundred. She was always there. I mean she was running fast times. At forty he was he was an anomaly. And then the men when both.
Speaker 5: He just they had an unbelievable run.
Speaker 1: They had for a country as small as Jamaica, they had about as good as run in sprinting as we've ever.
Speaker 5: Seen as anybody, Yeah, anybody.
Speaker 3: And we've ever seen. Now, you know, the Americans, we you know we've won.
Speaker 1: I think we've won, like we won the four by four, in the four by one, and the men like seventeen sixteen to seventeen times. We just can't get the stick around we've normally with since the Jamaicans. Now you take the Jamaicans out of the mix, but we've always had the most horsepower. But right from running out of the zone to dropping the baton, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 4: I mean, you got to think about it now when I think about it. Since nineteen ninety five, the US, we've suffered damn near body eleven baton areas resulting in disqualifications, including two years ago at a World championship. What is it about us and not being able to pass a baton like you practice it over and over and over and over, and me thinking, even though I'm not a track runner, I envisioned that the steps, hearing and listening stick knowing when to go when a person hits a certain mark, like you play that over and over, you practice it over and over and over, just like football. It's like football. You hear that play come in, you're already unvisited.
Speaker 3: Did all in your head?
Speaker 4: So I'm not sure, but we constantly consistently mess up over and over them. I don't understand what it is or what the issue may be. The nerves can't be that bad.
Speaker 1: Joe, you had a situation. Christian Coleman always leads off. He's probably the greatest starter, and you know, you look at him, Moe Green and Justin Gallan, but I would say Christan Coleman is the greatest starter in American sprint history.
Speaker 3: We're gonna lead it off. Good, We're good there.
Speaker 1: Fred Curley normally runs second leg when they run the World Championship. Last year Fred was on second leg. Okay, the only thing that got left out was no allows. So why did you change the whole lineup? You left Coleman at first, and then you move somebody. Then you put Kenny Benrrick at the second leg. Why why not keep? Why not at least get the baton? Let's have a chance, right, Christian Coleman and Fred Curley. They worked together, Christian cole I'm prink Curley. I think that if they're not mistaken, they had curtain Lindsey put Linzy in there. We we we we flubbed we we we we we keep messing it up. We keep thinking, oh, we got the most horsepower. All we got to do is get it around.
Speaker 3: We can't get it around.
Speaker 5: If ain't nobody on the stand wheel.
Speaker 3: We can't get it around. It doesn't matter how fast. I don't care.
Speaker 1: If you got nine two nine three nine four nine five, guess what the baton's on the ground.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I don't know what Kenny Binarry was thinking. Keen left so quick Kristan Colevin wasn't even close. Ain't no way he said that he left when Kristen Coleman foot hit his mark.
Speaker 3: There's no possible way that happened. None. You see how far he he and Kleben was like, well, damn, bro, what you.
Speaker 5: Want me to do? You think you think he misjudged it.
Speaker 4: As far as the speed coming in, understanding knowing, knowing how fast Christian Coleman is especially coming in, I don't I'm not sure if they slow down.
Speaker 5: But I know there's a mark on the track.
Speaker 4: I know there's a mark that they watched that they practice and when Christian Coleman hits that mark, then you go you have to I'm not sure maybe he maybe.
Speaker 5: He missed miss, miss, misreaded miss.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, but you can't make that kind of mistake like that because if that Patano, we.
Speaker 5: Win the four about one easy.
Speaker 1: We always, with the exception of the Jamaicans, we were always I mean, that's been our problem. It's not like somebody's outrunnerus. Our handoffs have always we you know, we've bobbled a handoffs and and and we've been out of the lane and we've been out of the zone. That that's been our problem. Come when you look at it, Yeah, I mean the Jamaicans have had a run from eight to sixteen. Okay, we getting that, but proud of that. Shouldn't nobody have ever? I mean we you know, we finished getting first and were getting first or were getting gold and silver in the in the hundred and we got a guy that finished fourth in the hundred. So we got the gold, the silver and the guy that barely missed the podium. Hell you should be able to run a leg and we still at least get the silver.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, but I'm looking and I knew it immediately.
Speaker 1: I say, Kenny, where are you going? Yeah, oh Joe, you set the mark. You know the guys coming in. That's why you set the mark accordingly. You cannot leave before he touches that mark.
Speaker 4: Do you think they put Kenny in? And Kenny hadn't even practiced the four by one with them. He was in the pools the thing.
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, once you once you make the US team and the one hundred meters, you're there, you're gonna be in the pool because you run hundred before. See, you have to run and see that's why you know there's like what Noah wants to be on the four by four? No I hadn't run any open four hundreds. So you don't get to say, well, I want to be on the thing, and you have it run. Kenny has run hundred meters, he's qualified. He qualified for the Olympics in the one hundred meters, so he's automatically in the pool.
Speaker 5: Were you in the pool? But if you haven't practiced it, he's there.
Speaker 3: He's practiced.
Speaker 1: Now this might be the first time, because I don't remember him running proud of this year.
Speaker 3: I don't reminate. I don't remember Kenny been there. I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: If I'm wrong enough, I'm speaking how to turn, I apologize, but I don't remember him running any hundred meters, So I just it's just it's just embarrassing. It's embarrassing that you're watching teams that you know you're better than. We're better than Great Britain, all these South Africa, even Japan and China.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, really.
Speaker 5: All because we can't get Shane's down.
Speaker 3: It's it's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Kudos to those team that were able to get the baton around. You know, those teams they practiced the batons and Carl Lewis, he was furious.
Speaker 3: Oh I was furious.
Speaker 5: I saw his tweets.
Speaker 1: He hot, he said, it's time to blow up the system. This continues to be completely unacceptable. It is clear that everyone at US Track and Field is more concerned with relationships than winning. No Athletico step on the track and run another relay until this program is changed from top to bottom. The Americans have not won a medal in the four by one since two thousand and four when Sean Crawford, Justin Gatland, Kobe Miller, and Maurice Green won silver and Athens.
Speaker 3: And they struggled with the baton too. That's why they got silver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if you think about it, in two thousand and four, Justin Gatland won goal.
Speaker 3: I think more Green won silver.
Speaker 1: Sean Crawford won two on one of the gold in the and the uh in the two hundred meters, so let that sick in and we got silver with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if Canada had anybody that I think. I think did the Grass make the finals in one hundred meters? I know he made it in two hundred meters, but he wasn't he wasn't close to the podium.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure you got guys that didn't.
Speaker 1: They they're winning medals. If the Jamaicans beat you, like when Jamaica Beatings, what you're gonna say.
Speaker 3: They got the.
Speaker 1: Gold medalist, they got the silver medalists, and they got one of the three fastest men that several run one hundred meters in the.
Speaker 3: Sopha Pile, Nestor Carter's run nine to seven eight.
Speaker 1: So I got Hey, I can't even complain if the Jamaicans beat you. But when you got teams beating you and they don't got anybody in the hundred meter finals or they don't have they have one guy that might be in the finals, but don't podium, how the hell you beating the team? They got two guys on the podium, one guy winning the goal in the two hundred meters. Fred currently the world champ of one hundred meters. He's gon won silver and bronze. Christian Coleman has won the world championship in the one hundred meters.
Speaker 3: And we can't that's crazy.
Speaker 5: What does Carl Lewis mean by blow everything up?
Speaker 1: And he said, y'all concerned about relationships. Y'all don't want to put the best place. Y'all just want to keep the relationship with the colchips and everything, copd steady, And it's not. It's actually embarrassing, really, it really is embarrassing that, oh, Joe, we haven't medal in twenty years, in twenty.
Speaker 5: And the four one has been twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Jesus, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: And Carlin is Rightfley, so because Carl has one run on the anchor, you know, hey, hey, just get it close.
Speaker 3: Are you to get it close? Call it? Do the rest. Yeah, call it, do the rest. Don't eve worry about anything else.
Speaker 1: And they've had you know, whether it was Dennis Mitchell and John Drummond and uh uh, Sam Graddy, it had Ron Bryant.
Speaker 3: I mean, it didn't matter. Just keep it close. Right. This is this is this is this is embarrassing. This is this is, this is embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Uh uh us had one gohalt is two thousand when they had John Drummon, Bernard Williams, Brian.
Speaker 3: Lewis and Moe Green.
Speaker 7: Years.
Speaker 3: They want to go.
Speaker 1: They have it, they have hold on No, they have Yeah, they have it won. I think they got the silver. They got the silver in two in two thousand and four, but they haven't won.
Speaker 3: Since two thousand and damn. It's gets embarrassing.
Speaker 1: O Joe, Oh, Joe, great news, Yo, nephew. America's Rod Benjamin claims his first Olympic goal in the four hundred meters. Rye received the level of redemption after finish the order was reversed. You remember last time they run war Home ran that world record time forty five ninety four.
Speaker 3: Ry was the second. I think he ran forty six nineteen.
Speaker 1: And then you had Allison del Santos who ran forty forty six twenty six, but.
Speaker 3: He worked though this. I couldn't understand it.
Speaker 1: And you know Ryan, now we kind of we text back and forth in the DM, but I was all.
Speaker 3: I remember talking to my brother. I said, Fank, I can't understand it.
Speaker 1: You're talking about a guy that's a sub ten second flat one hundred meter guy. You're talking about a guy that's a sub twenty two hundred meters guy. And you're talking about a guy that's a low low forty four in the four hundred meters. I don't understand. But for the first time he was in front. Yeah, and Warholmes liked to take it a Warholme like to take the pace out.
Speaker 3: He likes to go out hard.
Speaker 1: He said, if I'm gonna catch him, if you can, you remember that movie Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 5: Catch Yeah, that was a good one.
Speaker 1: Right, I won't get out, and I'm gonna make you catch me.
Speaker 5: Catch me.
Speaker 3: As I'm watching this race, mhm.
Speaker 1: When they got to the top of the bend and he hadn't caught him, and I know, I know Rid was sitting on something, go back and look at like hurdle.
Speaker 3: It might have been hurdle seven mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Were he stumbled a little bit? Not not not warhole? You didn't see what warhole?
Speaker 1: When he ran forty four nights, when he ran forty five ninety four, did he stumble?
Speaker 3: When he ran those three World championships? Did he stumble? What? Did we say? What? What? What?
Speaker 1: Would me and MJ saying they made Kashane Thompson run one hundred meters and not let him run eighty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ry put him under the gun and he says, okay, now catch me.
Speaker 5: Now you got to get me.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now you got to be perfect. Instead of me being perfect to catch you, you be perfect.
Speaker 3: To catch me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's the three two hurdles before the last when he when Warhol went over the hurdle and he didn't he did, he cleared it clean.
Speaker 5: But when he.
Speaker 4: Came down, but he was off balance, he lost his balance a little bit.
Speaker 5: I said, yeah, it's a rap because you're not gonna be able.
Speaker 3: You can't recover.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna be able to recover.
Speaker 1: And you and you got you got the for the fastest run for the four fastest four hundred meter hurdles ever you have going home? Who's the world record holder? Ry is the American record holder? You got those Santos and you had Aberdeen Somble from from cut there. They were saying cutter at one point time it's Qatar, lit'sten. Let's go with Qatar Katar. So you had the four fastest men that's ever been over ten barriers around around the track. Right it was. I know, I know, I know, I may, I know. Ryan is extremely happy. He text me talking about y'all need to get at me.
Speaker 3: Nephew. We got hold.
Speaker 4: On, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on now now now when Rob when he come back to the States. Now, you're gonna have to earn that now. So I didn't have to hop over plenty of obstacles in life. So them hurdles ain't gonna be nothing. Now we get out there, we get shorten it.
Speaker 5: We can go. We can go four hundred, we can go two hundred. We just put them hurdles out there.
Speaker 3: Now you could beat me, Well, I'm gonna probably put my money. Well, I'll tell you what I'm gonna put.
Speaker 1: All the money that I lost, I would put it on ride to get it back because he's a condition, he's in prime shape, and you hadn't run like that for a very long time.
Speaker 3: So I would take my chances with Rye.
Speaker 4: See see now you sound like my teachers in high school, never believing in me. Nobody ever believed in me.
Speaker 3: No, but see I know where you started from. I know where he's at.
Speaker 1: So if you have told your teachers, oh, I could go out, I could go out run such and such right now, what you think he was saying.
Speaker 4: Probably the same thing. See, it's the thing you don't get to see me run. So that's why you're gonna be surprised when I beat him. But okay, we on to the next one.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, we're good. I mean he's he's been unbelievable. I can't wait for the world. Oh yeah, come up, I mean the world is a year away.
Speaker 5: Where the world's gonna be at?
Speaker 1: Are they gonna be in Budapest? Are they gonna be No? I think they're gonna be in They're gonna be in China. They're gonna be in China, Japan. I think there's something they're in the Asian market. Twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Worlds Tokyo, Tokyo.
Speaker 5: Man we go, We're gonna do nightcap in Tokyo.
Speaker 4: Then I'm just I'm playing to see now I'm gonna throw it out there that just pa see yeah, somebody, somebody don't see this.
Speaker 5: Somebody that's part of the Track Federation.
Speaker 7: You know what, you know what.
Speaker 5: We want you all to come out do nightcap from Tokyo.
Speaker 1: I would love to give us an opportunity to talk to the athletes after they have media obligation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, normally NBC.
Speaker 1: Normally NBC covers the covers the world and can I understand they have their obligations, but after they get that, hey stop by, give us like five or six minutes.
Speaker 3: Boom, keep a movie.
Speaker 5: It is yeah, NBC.
Speaker 1: So it was great. Congratulations Ryck for congratulations. We swept it. It's not it's not been very often that we both won both men's and women's four hundred meters. We know we got that historic race from said but this was this lived up to the Billy.
Speaker 3: Going back and forth.
Speaker 1: But Rye has been ry has been in prime shape, he's been in tip top peak condition and actually he just tied tied his world record time, his his world leading time he ran forty six. Forty six, that was the fastest time in the world coming in. He hit that mark right on the head again and it was enough to stand up. So congratulations to UH, to Rob Benjamin and the Americans that we've been doing really, really well. I've been proud of our team the way, especially on the track. Oh, Jo, we've been great.
Speaker 4: We've been great, beautiful, beautiful outside of a few hook keeps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're athletic President hands that raising women's hurdles height after Sydney's six time breaking the record? Hold on, whoa you see? Hold on, she's broken the record six times. What y'all gonna do with that? Poe about record? Mondo the Plantiff he keep breaking. He's done, broke the world record nine times.
Speaker 3: You see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see what they do, won't Joe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely do anything, do anything to make sure to put us at a disadvantage. Matter of fact, let him raise the hurdles. You know what, she gonna come back and do you know what she's gonna come back and do adjust you break it again? Does he's gonna adjust dap and break it again?
Speaker 3: Joe?
Speaker 1: You do realize if you raise those hurdles that world record that she said will be there forever. You do understand that, right, Yeah, that's more people don't say they understand. Yeah, no they don't. I don't think they do because they think they'll be hurting. Said, I'm not so sure it can go into effect. Now they might put it in effect, but I believe Michael Johnson believes that a lot of other people believe that after the world that would be Sydney's last four hundred meter race, four hunderhard of race.
Speaker 3: Anyway, she's dropping down to the single.
Speaker 1: Lap she's wanting to trace Chase Mattermina coachs forty seven sixty only two with congratulations to Paulino, the Dominican runner. She ran what she run forty eight seventeen, which is the fourth fastest time ever run. It's an Olympic record. She broke Marie Jose's correct record of forty eight twenty five. In the Olympics. Only two women has ever gone up funder forty eight. People don't really understand that two women ran sub forty eight on the one lap.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: That can disimagine this right, just pictured this. Now, look at what sid is able to run. Yeah, when there's hurdles. Yeah, Now imagine what see as time would be if you remove those hurdles and she just running on free wheel and spirit based on training.
Speaker 1: Well, she's five tenths off the American record as it is. She's run forty eight seventy five. She's dabbled into two hundred meters. She's run twenty two oh seven, which is the eighth the ninth fastest time this year she's had. Prior to today, she had like the second or third fastest time. Now Paulino ran forty ran forty eight seventeen, Nasa ran what forty eight fifty six, and then given the Polish runner, she went sub forty nine. She ran forty eight ninety nine to get the prize. Is that was the fastest four hundred meters women's four hundred meter.
Speaker 3: In their history. Three women went sub forty nine.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. It's the same thing they did that with the javelin. A guy through the javelin. He threw it farther than on a football field, three hundred and forty three feet.
Speaker 3: Nobody, as a matter of fact, nobody has even come close. So the record's gonna be there forever ever. Yeah, so raise the.
Speaker 1: Barriers if you want a record, and people like, well, ain't no chance of me breaking the record?
Speaker 3: What am I doing? It's like that. I think I think it's the woman's shot record. The woman's shot record is so far out there, ain't nobody breaking that record? O show right?
Speaker 1: Then she throwing like seventy feet. I mean, yeah, she threw it seventy something feet.
Speaker 5: Hey what the shot put record? Their ball is?
Speaker 3: I think their ball is eight pounds? Oh, shoe eight pounds? Okay, okay, what's the women's shots of the record.
Speaker 5: Hey, that's a long wave.
Speaker 8: Boy, it's just like the high school shot record.
Speaker 1: Michael Carter threw the shot eighty one feet. Ain't nobody breaking that? He won the silver medal in the eighty four Olympics. Yeah, what's the women's world record? In the shot play? But when you change it, you do understand these records are gonna.
Speaker 3: Oh that's like seventy that's like seventy four.
Speaker 8: Feet that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Oh trying to be as I'm sorry. I'm sorry, guy, Yeah, ain't no woman. Look what the women did. Hello, the lady won the shot plut today, O joe, she threw it exactly twenty meters on the last throat.
Speaker 3: How far is twenty meters? Sixty six feet?
Speaker 5: Give it to me and give me the football yards. Give it to me in football yards.
Speaker 1: Sixty five she's threw it sixty five feet. That's seven feet below the world record.
Speaker 5: Give it to me in football yards.
Speaker 3: Uh, she throwing the shit seventy five feet.
Speaker 1: Seventy five feet, that's twenty it's about twenty five.
Speaker 3: Twenty meters. It's twenty yards. It's about twenty five twenty five yards.
Speaker 5: Well, that's good boy, eight pound ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's far. I know.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody breaking it? Said, has the best chance. Now, maybe Paulino she ran forty eight seventeen. Maybe she got some pushing right, we'll see. But do you know you're gonna have to run the perfect race, hit the perfect condition, and get the right perfect competitors to.
Speaker 3: Push you.
Speaker 5: To get you to get that time.
Speaker 3: Thirty seven sixty it's been eighty five. There's only two women in the.
Speaker 1: History of track and field that's ever been under forty eight.
Speaker 3: Paulino just ran the perfect race.
Speaker 1: Since you ran forty eight seventeen, there's a big difference between forty eight seven forty eight, seventeen and forty seven ninety nine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a whole lot, yes, hopefully lot.
Speaker 3: So go ahead and change the height and seid record.
Speaker 1: My grandkids, grandkids, grandkids say, ain't nobody ever breaking that? Just like ain't nobody gonna throw the that javelin three hundred and forty three feet? They said it was going They said it was going too far. So guess what, it ain't gonna ever happen again. I don't know as anybody has anybody ever been. I don't know if anybody's ever been over ninety meters, let alone one hundred meters in the javelin. Right, But you can't get mad because somebody is so so?
Speaker 3: So what when when you say was running those fast? Time?
Speaker 1: Why don't you say when you saying you gotta start three yards behind everybody else?
Speaker 3: Because these world records are getting out of hand? Y'all?
Speaker 4: Do realize the man with sub ninety six, Oh that's crap. Oh you know how fast I do? Everybody everybody else is already fast nine six, and on top of nine six, he still starts damn near dead.
Speaker 1: Last cod sick that broke the world record six times. Sometimes the Prodigy comes along. Uh huh so so what so what they do with with Michael Phelps?
Speaker 3: They ain't make they did they? They did make? Did they make him swim in a different pool?
Speaker 1: I mean, Katie le Decky got all the fastest times in the fifteen hundreds, she got the top twenty two fastest times ever run.
Speaker 3: I mean that was for him. Nothing not see it?
Speaker 7: Boy.
Speaker 1: They tried to, but they can't. You can't stop greatness. Guess what She's gonna drop down, go take the barriers off the track and gonna win and gonna win the goal in l A and the four hundred meters and then what and then I hit y'all with the deuces.
Speaker 3: I'm out.
Speaker 1: I'm out. I mean because what I mean, what else would she need to accomplish? She's a two time Olympic champ with the world record and the hurdles, she's a three time world champ and in the hurdles, and she'll be an Olympic champ and the four hundred meters. Yeah, knowing said, she said, you know what, a bobby, I think I gonna do it. If you get them to alter this, I do both of them. I do a double double. There's a there was a Cuban. There was a Cuban guy in seventy six. Oh shoe, he ran the full he won? What do he win?
Speaker 3: Did he win? The he won the eight hundred and the four and I think he won.
Speaker 1: I think he he won the eight hundred meters and the four hundred meters in the same in the same in the same Olympics.
Speaker 3: Yes, with the Gonzalez was was but he's from tub I know he's from Cuba.
Speaker 4: But that's crazy, that's crazy work, right. Can you imagine when the eight and four in today's lembit? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 5: You ain't got to tell me.
Speaker 1: No, I don't believe we'll ever see another man win the Florida two in the same Olympics. I don't believe we'll see another man another female with he won an eight hundred and the four hundred, right, I don't think. I don't we'll ever see another woman do it again. I think Marie jos Perek and what Michael Johnson did in ninety six. I don't think we'll see it again because that's because you have to stagger it to give them an opportunity, because that's four races. You can't have eight races in four days a fan ojoe, you gotta give him qualified.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you got to be special. Do you realize how special you have to be?
Speaker 5: Yeah, to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: And like Mike said, he he had been thinking about it because Mike first when he was talking, he had won his first world championship in the in the UH in the two hundred. So Mike started out as a two hundred. But like he said, he was splitting such great times. He's like, well, hold on, wait a minute, bro, you're running.
Speaker 3: Low forty four. You splitting forty three. We need to put your ass in the.
Speaker 5: He some blocks. Yeah, and see what happened.
Speaker 3: Think about how good he could have been had he just chosen one. There's a big difference. Now, Hey, the one and two is a is a is a beast. Yeah, but that devil that two in that four.
Speaker 4: Listen, that four ain't o joke. That four make a man out. That's a grown that's a grown man's race.
Speaker 3: Make you put your hand on your knees and shake your head. Come on, son, Oh but all one read that phone, got got on it. Yeah for that bear at the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stop there, this track, coach all said come on, fun, you could do it.
Speaker 3: You walk all you do.
Speaker 1: It to shake his hand, said I can't do it. You said, I can't. Ain't boy, that piano jump on your back. If y'all ran track, y'all know what I'm talking about. It that y'all know that that paid when that bear and that they throw that pan on your back.
Speaker 4: Listen, when you hit that two hundred fifty, that two hundred fifty yard mark, you think you're feeling good.
Speaker 5: You get to that two and fifty, that two twenty two fifty and that monkey jump on your back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, that the list that last, that last hundred and some chains. Be hell, all your form out the window. O yo, all your form is out the window.
Speaker 1: Without what what coach y'all normally have you do. You didn't really get to pick what you did. Coach y'all like, if you're a freshman, he throw you in the mile, he throw you in the half mile. I was like, coach, you know my brother would started team, so I ain't run the mile. He's a son. You gotta run the three. You gotta run the back. In high school, we had the three third. Okay, we got oh Joe, I ain't never ran them. Come on, you don't laugh. Oh you don't laugh, O Joe. Coach all says, fucker, you gonna run the hurdles, I said, coach, I ain't. He said, you fine, you fine, you can jump high and you can run. Yeah, man, o Joe, you know why, you know? Fed it up with the die. Yeah, I ain't got no farm on Joe. I'm jumping over that thing like I'm jumping over the fifth John chasing me.
Speaker 3: I'm going one leg, one leg, one leg. I look like jump man. I look like jump jump man. Got a man, But I'm good, o Yoe. I bought that.
Speaker 1: Hey, the dude that ended up winning the region, uh ended up winning the region.
Speaker 3: I think he got second of the state. Here in my heat. So you know, the first two three hurdles, I got it. I said, oh, oh man, I can do this. I can do this, man, o yo man. I got to the top of the bed. Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: At the two hundred, I was good. I got to the top of the med I probably had my four hurdles left right. I showed you somebody would have moved those.
Speaker 3: Hurdles for me.
Speaker 1: Mad oh yo man. My hamstring and my blood felt so heavy. I feel like I had bricks in my hand. I said, so by that time, o't Joe, you know, hold on, Joe, you got you know, you jump over something like one leg out of time and didn't write the other leg. Ain't no what's you man? Ain't no telling what Ain't no telling what my time was. I ain't even bothered.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know sometimes I think about it now that my kids are older. Obviously my daughter running the track, and I always always think about, damn, what happened if they get to the day when she could actually beat me running? Even if it's her events, obviously, if it's the four men, if it's the eight like that, would that would hurt me so bad that.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about. I think about it all the time.
Speaker 3: What she running? Man? Mo she run?
Speaker 5: She run the four and eight?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, she probably probably beat you in the four you thinkth Hell, yeah, y'all, why are you tell you what?
Speaker 3: You tell?
Speaker 1: All your hamstring up trying to run? She probably you run? She probably can run sixty seconds?
Speaker 3: Six? Oh she wait under that? Well, you ain't finna run that?
Speaker 5: That's you know what I'm curious me.
Speaker 3: See that's a minute you ain't finn to run that? Can she run? So what's the two other time?
Speaker 1: I mean a two eight eight hundred met of time two minutes to four to five two or two?
Speaker 5: Hold on, I'm man, where you at?
Speaker 3: Model? You're here?
Speaker 5: And you know what? Now Now I'm cured. Now we got the Olympic times.
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 5: That's that's that's a good one. I want to know. I want to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, may.
Speaker 4: What's your what's your fastest time in all in the four I'm just saying just in general, your fastest time fifty three seven? And what's your what's your fastest time in eight two or seven three?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right? Man?
Speaker 5: Say unc said you could be me in the four hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ain't gonna run. No, you ain't read to run? No fifty three seconds?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: Who man, listen, I mean like right now, because I'm in shape after you know, you got to think I just had a whole soccer season for three months, right, So I mean say, but no, I could run, I can I can open up, dude, I played leven v eleven like football field, soccer field, big football field. Right now, I'm telling you, let's say if we if I was doing four hundred right now.
Speaker 5: You are a tirement.
Speaker 3: I'll probably you ain't breaking a minute.
Speaker 5: I probably, oh, come on, this is you ain't breaking a minute. I probably come about forty five.
Speaker 3: You ain't breaking a minute.
Speaker 5: Probably forty five.
Speaker 1: I'll bet you five thousand dollars. You couldn't run four hundred meters right now in a minute.
Speaker 3: You do know I be in Vegas. I want to bet you. I bet you five thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: I'll be in Vegas in the morning.
Speaker 3: Man, go to the track. We can go to the bet.
Speaker 5: Bet beg bet, let's bet okay, bet I bet that? And you know, hey, a minute, you know how disrespectful that is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I'm in shape. I'm in stupid shall.
Speaker 1: Apple is a shape. So as a pair, they got it to do. They got it to do a run.
Speaker 4: Listen, you might you might will you might will cut you might will cut that too. Matter of fact, you know what I want I want mineing ones to want you. I want I'm going to straight this ship club in Vegas.
Speaker 5: A minute.
Speaker 4: That's like, that's disrespectful as an elite, as an elite athlete.
Speaker 3: Still, it's disrespectful that you can and you had run.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're gonna see better.
Speaker 8: Okay now this time won't Yoe?
Speaker 1: Got nice time for I interview. Oh Joe and I have a We take the interview with Bobby Fink this morning. He's the world record holder in fifteen hundred meters. Let's take a listen to the interview. All right, Oh Joe, check this out. I told you we're gonna have somebody session this morning. The guy that's joining in this this morning, he's a two time Olympic champ at fifteen hundred meters. He's a one time Olympic gold medalist at eight hundred meters, and he won the silver medal in the eight hundred meter in the parish. He swam swam at the University of Florida under the Great Anthony Nesty, and he saved the men because had he not won a gold medal, there'll have been the first time since nineteen hundred no individual man had won a swimming gold medal. Welcome to the show, Bobby Fink, Bobby, how you doing. I'm Jan Goodtt. Thank you for having me man, thank thanks for coming on. As I mentioned in your intro, is that did you feel the pressure. There's already pressure to win a gold medal. You're representing an entire country, and we understand that. But for for the first time and over a hundred years, had you not did what you did, the men would have been shut out of the individual goals. Did that add pressure to you?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean I'm someone who personally likes reading all the comments and everything. So on Measure News Sight, I was going through like every article, reading every comp and everything, and like there's a bunch of comments ins saying like Bobby better be listening to like Lose Yourself on repeat right now something, because he's the last chance. I knew about the record going in before I knew how hard it was going to be. And you know, I'm just fortunate enough I was able to get it done because I did not want my name attached to that for that to be go down.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we got it done. Now, Yeah, what was it? Like, I'm gonna start you know where it all started from. Obviously you grew up in Clearwater from Clearwater, Florida. How did your hometown shape your swimming career to actually get to the point where you are now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, so my mom grew up swimming I have two older sisters who swam, both attended college, both attended Olympic trials in twenty sixteen, And you know, I grew up younger than them. I wanted to beat them going off a bunch. And my mom's the one who taught me how to swim over and over in clearwater be so I was kind of always growing up around the water and I liked being in it. And then having childer sisters, you know, I bet you can experience a competitive sibling naturehood there is. And I grew up just wanting to beat him. And once I did beat him, I want her to get as far as as possible I could from then, you know, And yeah, I think I've done that pretty well.
Speaker 1: Michael Phelps, the great Michael Phelps. He really needs no introduction. He spoke very very highly of you individually, but he said he was very very disappointed in the men's swim team. Now we know the French team, you get a kind of like when you have the Olympics in your home country, you kind of get a little bump. Marshawn he different he ain't getting the bump. He could have swam on the moon. He could swim and the dead beat. He can swip in the Atlantic oacher. He's going to be what he is. But do you think things are going to be different in twenty twenty eight when the Olympics are going to be held on home soil, because it was it was very disappointing for the mean not to do better what they did.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, for sure. I mean it was kind of a big wake up call these past couple of years for men, specifically, just because of how deep it has gone, how competitive it has gone, which is amazing for the sport. You know, Mike Michael Phelps did amazing things for the sport, and you know, these past couple of years it was a wake up calls for us that you know, world's catching up. We got to do better, We got to figure out some ways to be dominant again. And you know, twenty twenty eight, I feel like it's a perfect time to do it, perfect time to show the world who we are and that you know, we're still there, Team USA on top always. But you know, a home Olympics, especially in LA, I think it's going to be really magical for us.
Speaker 3: That's dope.
Speaker 4: Are there any middle strategies that you go through to prepare for a high competition race, especially like for one represent an entire country. You op in Paris is still limit picks. None of us have medled in all the pressure in the eyes of riding on you are there Are there any mental shreddities that you do? Any superstitions?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know if I really got I call them like superstitions for me. But everything is really and just how I prepare for the race, especially over at the Olympic village. The I don't know if you guys have heard about, Like the food was very controversial.
Speaker 3: A bit.
Speaker 7: Food wasn't the best, but I had so much pasa just in the days leading up. I was carbloading like crazy and I hate pasa right now, like I oh my god. But like in the day leading up to that fifteen hundred, a lot of it was motivation of how angry I was after the eight hundred when I lost, right because silver medal is great and everything. I understand that, but like for me to down out was pissed to that race because I didn't win, and I needed that kind of fire in me to be motivated for the fifteen hundred because I want to stand on top of that podium. I want to hear the national anthem. I haven't heard much all meat and I need to hear it, and I need to do it for our team. And you know, behind the blocks, I was just telling myself to stay calm. But the not like a power is in you, but like you know what to do and you know how to swim, You've done it one hundred times. It's really a whole mental game you're you're having with your brain. It's just telling yourself that you know you've done it, you can do it again. It's it's nothing new to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you look at the situation and when you broke the world record, you really and you didn't get Normally when people break world records, they're getting pushed. You've pretty seconds behead. You have like you have a motor boat and they had paddles, And so I'm watching you and I'm seeing your stroke and it's so smooth when you're swimming in a race of that distance. Obviously, you know you got the fifty meters and you got one hundred meters, you got different strokes. But when you fifteen hundred meters, there's a lot of time for you to be in your own head, what are you thinking about.
Speaker 3: When you when you swim in fifteen hundred meters?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I normally race my competition and I'll start behind them for the most part, or I'll stay right next to them. So I like the one hundred to two hundred, when I had like a body like lead, I was kind of like, the Hell's going on right now because there's just so abnormal for me. But I could kind of see the scoreboard a little bit when I was racing, and on the scoreboard there were show the world record line, so I was kind of mentally racing that the whole time. And I was mentally.
Speaker 3: Racing okay, okay, yeah, So.
Speaker 7: I saw the world record line like three times during the race, and that got me own in the race so hard. But also like I'm very aware of like what is going around me. So I knew Greg pulchneri the Italian who was in lane five, two lanes over, I knew he started to inch up on me a lot, And same thing with Daniel within the Island representative who won the eight hundred previously. I knew he started to catch Greg a bit. I was kind of peeking over there, but I knew as long as I stood or stay ahead of Greg, that I would be able to stay ahead of Dan. So I was kind of keeping it. That mental is just like just stay ahead of them. I don't have to be too far away from them or like drop back to be at their pace. I just needed to stay right ahead of them, right, And that that was really a big mental game for me, was just trying to, you know, be aware where they are even though they're behind me, make sure I have a safe distance from them. So that that's really what I was spoken on.
Speaker 3: When did you When did you pick up the fifteen hundred meters?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was kind of always always one of my things, okay, because just because my sisters did it and that's what my race and I wanted to beat them. So that's why, sadly, that is why I became a distance summer. I you know now when I look back at things, I become a sprinter all day, just because it's a lot of training, more fun and kind of like more exciting. But being a distance summer, you know, I did it for my sisters.
Speaker 3: Really, that's dope. That's dope.
Speaker 4: Listen, as someone who also competed, I'm not as decorated as you, But I did compete when I'm from five years old to ten years old as a competitive swimmer. I always thought about what it would be like and I'm thinking about the memories that I had and competing at such a young age. So for you looking back on your career so far, are there is there a particular race, a moment that stands out as opposed to winning goal?
Speaker 7: You know, there there is a race and it was back when I was eleven.
Speaker 4: See I totally yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Was eleven years old. I was swimming the eight one hundred meters free style and it was over at the Orlando Yanca right off of I four and Orlando. It was our Age Group Championships. I was in the late next to Matthew Herschberger, who at the time was someone who was breaking all of the national age group records fast as ever, you know, at his age for those events. And he, I mean he was a year older than me.
Speaker 3: He whooped on me.
Speaker 7: But I thought, like when I was eleven, I went nine to sixteen, which I still think is really good to this day for an eleven year old. For some reason, that races always stood out to me as like one of my best performance as ever. And I don't know why, but for some reason, it was just it was just always like it was. It was like the first winker Paul. I was like, you know, I I'm good at this, Like I can keep doing this right, you know. And it wasn't a time that beat my sisters, but it was a time that like at the time, ranked nationally within eleven year olds, and it proved to myself that like this is a round, I'm gonna end up going on MH.
Speaker 1: Bobby, Like you're fifteen hundred meters and you say you've always been in love with the fifteen hundred mainly because your sisters did it and you wanted to beat them. Did you study the great fifteen hundred meters that came before you? The Russian vladimis Zelnikov, you look at Grant Hackett, the great Australia, or Zunyang, the guy his record that you just broke. Did you study the great ones that came before you and you look at the progression. I think this race was first contested in nineteen oh four and I think the winning time was like twenty two forty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here we are we're already down to fourteen thirty now.
Speaker 1: So when you look at the progression and where we've come from, and look at some of the names that have hild that world record, where do you where are you trying to take this record to and what do you try and what do you hope to accomplish in the fifteen hundred meters.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I cannot tell you how many times I rewatched Sun Yang's fifteen hundred back from twenty twelve, just in a backseat of my my dad's car when he would drive me to practice in the mornings and afternoon. I've watched that race hundreds of times. Like I'm not even kidding. I knew, I knew his stroke, I knew how crazy of a time he was. He was like ten seconds out of the rest of the field in that race. And you know, even one of my competitors by race, a silver medalist, was in that race, Greg Paul Senari. He was seventeen at the time and he got fifth or fourth. And ever since the Sun Yang doping controversy thing that happened a few years later, Greg Pultiononary kind of became like the distance guy who became he got really close to that race and everything, and I studied how he raced the entire time, and he was someone who always took it out fast, but he has a horrendous stroke. But so kind of just looking at how Tho's guy's race, Casenying was very conservative at the beginning and came back really hard. Greg Pultionnary was just very fast throughout the entire race. Greatest pacer I've ever seen. Two different race strategies and two very different times. You kind of just got to like what I ended up focusing on was trying to harness both of them a bit. You know, I really want to be good at pacing, and I think I nailed it almost perfectly for me this past fifteen hundred that I did. I got the pace done really well. Yeah yeah, I got that done really well. But I was still able to come home really fast and clear the rest of competition, I guess. And in terms of like taking where this record can go, you know, one of the like the worst feelings in the world, even after like breaking a record like that, is that you feel like you can still do better during that race, Like you know, like look back at oh maybe if I did that, I could have gone like three seconds faster or something because I was I was genuinely feeling really good in that race, So like fourteen thirty was amazing to me. But for some it still stings me a little bit in psych cause I'm like, I know I could have found like another like second or two when they're to get under fourteen thirty just because I was that close. But I mean, I want to be one of the guys who brings this record down into the fourteen twenties, maybe low fourteen twenties. And that's really ambitious, I guess because the record twenty years ago was only fourteen thirty four, so it's only dropped four seconds within these twenty four years. And to bring it down I guess, like ten seconds is incredible. But I mean someone's got to be able to think it to do it. And I know my other competitors are because we talked about it, so you know, you start thinking it, then the wheels start going, and then the record's gonna end up going eventually.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wait, when I when I when I listened to you talk, and I can I can sense the competitive a's that you have and drive you know to want obviously to be the best do you during your career. Have you faced any obstacles or significant challenges or setbacks in your swimming career and is there a way that you had to overcome them or how did you overcome them for.
Speaker 3: If you didn't have any.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I've been for the most part, I've been very fortunate as a swimmer. I haven't had too many issues. But the main issues I had was during college, I'd fall off my scooter and like break my wrists. When you broke your wrist for real, yeah, yeah, I don't remember how it happened, but yeah, I got like stitches on my face and yeah it was it was a pretty rough crash, but broke my wrist. Then had to skip out on our World University games, which was kind of sucky. But for some reason, when I I feel like I'm hindered a bit, it kind of motivates me more. Because I was assimming the whole summer in a brace on my arm, so mhm. When I was able to like keep up with some of the guys randomly in practice, it would motivate me. Motivate me a lot, just because I was like, yo, I got like one arm here and I got like a.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: But and like what I'm finding is I'm getting older, my body breaks breaks down a lot easier. Like this past year, I like did something to my back. I don't know. I became like paralyzed for a week. It was kind of funny because just like stiffed back everywhere and I'm stuck. Yeah, It's it's become like a running joke on our team because the two guys, Karen Smith and I were both the same age, but we're our bodies are just breaking every time we're in the weight room. His knees are gone, my back's gone, my shoulders gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I mean in terms of what I've heard from other athletes getting like surgeries and stuff and like fixing everything, I've been very fortunate everything that's happened to me. I've just been able to treat with like rehab and stuff like that. I haven't needed surgery or anything like that. So I've been I've been very good that way. I'm hoping it stays that way too.
Speaker 1: But when you look at it, when you you are fifty eight hundred and fifteen hundred meters swimmer and the type of volume that it requires in training, what is the typical how many calories are you eating in a day to fuel your body so you can get back into pool tomorrow and do it all over again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it. It generally ranges per day a lot of the time because it really depends on how tired I am after practice to be able to cook a meal or go out and get a meal. It easily over six thousand on the high end, maybe close to ten or nine. I guess it really depends. Like I'll down like a piece and a half, like no problem at all, and that's like three pizza, a whole pizza. Yeah, and like a little more sometimes depending on like if I'm eating with my we get like we get like two pizzas, so I'll eat one and then she eats like some of the other and I'll get her leftovers.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: I like it, But how much do how how how much do you wait on hundred seventy three one hundred and seventy three pounds and you're eating somewhere between six thousand and nine pousan Yeah, I should.
Speaker 7: Say so, yeah, yeah, like what I don't know why I can't gain weight, So I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work that's a great problem to have.
Speaker 1: Bobby, let me ask you this, when you see these when you see these these prodigies. You look at Marshaun, Michael Phelps was a prodigy, kate La Decki was a prodigy, and there's a lot of expectation for them to carry it on.
Speaker 3: And then we look at someone like Missy Frankel. She burst onto the scene.
Speaker 1: She was the darling, she was the sweetheart, and I think she had some injuries and I think that's kind of what set her back. But how difficult is it to maintain that competitive edge when you're a prodigy. Michael Phelpson, I think he went to the Olympics in two thousand or two thousand and two thousand.
Speaker 3: It's like fourteen, fifteen year old. And then you see Ladeki she does the same thing.
Speaker 1: How difficult is it to maintain that when you have success at such a young age and then maintain that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it's definitely one of the most difficult things I think that can happen to someone in any kind of sport, is you get so much attention at such a young age, and depending on how you kind of like handle that, it can it can really just make or break you. You you'll be successful and then you'll never hear that person ever again, or you'll be successful and you'll continuously see them in the headlines growing up and everything. I honestly probably harder than winning a gold medal, just because the amount of athletes that are so successful when they're young and you never hear them later on is so high, especially in the sports swimming, that it's it's very unfortunate just because like they had the potential to be there, but seeing how they react to certain situations or how they're they're brought up in their sport and everything like that, it really can change how they are in the future of the sport. And you know, Mike Michael got it right obviously, Katie got it right off obviously, but like Leon's there now and again out of like all those young prodigies, there's there's only three of them and it was like those three, so a lot of it. It's it's very impressive to me, and you know, I want those young prodigies to always do well every single time because it can be huge for all sports, whatever sport they're part of. But it's the I don't want to say, like failure rate, but like the like drop off rate of of what happens is so high, and it's just it's really unfortunate. But I'm ruining for them every time.
Speaker 1: I think the US wim team need to give Bob baam on the lifetime contracts that you can only coach American athletes. There, here's five million dollars.
Speaker 3: You don't. You don't coach.
Speaker 1: Anybody else but American athletes because he has something in his souls, because he has films, he has let now you have this young Yes, No, I'm not paying I'm paying you not to coach anybody else. You don't have to work, you don't got to catch the American athletes. Just don't coach anybody else.
Speaker 7: I don't think he'd take it, though, I do not think he'd take it, especially after the success he so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that.
Speaker 7: Was crazy being there and witnessing the French crowd when he swam was like it was magical, Like I've never heard something louder in my life, just when he would walk out on the pull deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to pay him back. We got to get somebody, We got to pay him back. We got to find some kid in Florida kid from the d m V.
Speaker 3: We'll get someone.
Speaker 4: Hey, outside of outside of swimming, do you have any hobbies activities that you enjoy doing. I know, you know, normally we know swimming is is your respective craft. But outside of that, I mean, there has some nelse that is your outlet. I call it, you know, my piece. So football I did all my life, but outside of football, my safe haven and my piece was gaming.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, I definitely do enjoy a lot of games, especially with the guys on the UF swim team. And you know, back in the back in the day before like all this COVID stuff happened, it was ping pong because we had a table in our team room and for some reason it just became like the game I'd do there for like two and a half hours before practice, just playing constantly, and like an hour afterwards just because, like you know, someone says some trash talk, so you got to like go defend yourself. Yeah, it was in the beginning it was pig pong, and then afterwards I started playing a lot of a lot of video games with boys.
Speaker 3: There we go. I like it. But what do you think the most difficult stroke in swimming?
Speaker 7: Is see swimming. Because there's so many discipline and like so many different races, it's kind of hard to point one out because like the most the hardest joke to be good at, I would say is breast shoke because it's so it's so technical and everything, like you have an ounce of dragon, you you're you're behind, and I suck at breastshoke, and yeah, I hate it so much. I'm so bad at it. But like physicalness, raw physic physicalness would probably fly, Yeah, it would be fly. But their races are some of the easiest, which is weird. But like for a physical choke, butterfly would be the most demanding. But the races there's other all the other shokes races are harder. You'll get like more sore and more lactic acid build up from other races, which is kind of it's weird, like something is a weird sport when it comes to that kind of stuff, because like you you ask someone who has it sud before to do fly, they're not doing it. And but you asked someone to be good at brash shure, they're not doing it. For the most part, it's it's such a it's just such a unique sport in that kind of way.
Speaker 3: Bobby. You ask anybody that's not good it's women to do any stroke, bread stroke.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be good at is the rock stroke to the bottom of it, Bobby. I just wanted on behalf of a shade she Media and Nightcap. We're very proud of you here. I know my subscribers are proud of you. I know the US is proud of you. And to show you how proud we are of you. I don't know if you can see that. Can you see that in your screen?
Speaker 7: I kind of hold on, Oh God, hold on.
Speaker 3: We're gonna break it a little closer. We're gonna make sure you're it.
Speaker 5: I can take my take my glass off.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's gonna boom in my camera. Goy, gonna zoom in. We're gonna zoom in. Okay, make sure you see this.
Speaker 5: I can't see.
Speaker 3: God. Can you see that, Bobby?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Oh my god, Yeah yeah, wow, Yeah.
Speaker 3: We got we got your information.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, wait, wait, wait a minute, wait, whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, Bobby, not in order to get that, in order to get that in its entirety, when you come back to Florida.
Speaker 3: We have to race whatever you want to do.
Speaker 7: You guys want.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you can beat me, it's all yours. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Hey, congratulations though, man, congratulations man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jacky White, I get her up and get us uthing nice. I'm proud of you, bro. Congratulations what you've been able to accomplish thus far. Stay healthy, good luck down the road, I mean the world the next year. Uh and then in two years after that, you got the Olympics in l A. So we look forward to follow your career. Continue success, bro, and congratulations again on all your accomplissations.
Speaker 7: No you got Oh wow, you guys are amazing. Yeah, jesus.
Speaker 5: You guys. Let's talk about have you writing? You're writing clear Water?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know I live in Miami. How far are you from me?
Speaker 7: Uh? About four and a half hours.
Speaker 3: Oh so you more?
Speaker 4: You more like Orlando down that way? Huh uh No Tampa, Tampa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I'm near. It's just because sorry, I'm just my brain. I think it's just because in a way, you have to get to Miami, right right, gotta like not straight through the other everybodyes, but you have to go to like Naples first and then yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 5: Right, we'll catch up. We'll catch up. We gotta we gotta, we gotta gotta get this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you got already legendary in your sport, but you guys are legendary for this. I can't thank you guys enough.
Speaker 1: You guys are no thank you and enjoy and uh, I appreciate you stopping by this morning. We appreciate you stopping by nightcap this morning, and look forward to talking to you down in the road.
Speaker 3: Bro. No, thank thank you.
Speaker 7: I I appreciate everything you guys have done for for your sports and then obviously for for the Olympic Games. It's time you special for the athletes. Yeah, it is a is a dream. This is a dream and and you guys are well a part of it. And thank you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Well all right, brow will go, all right, boss, Thank you