Speaker 1: Apple's Fresh Trio, new iPhones, Apple Watches, and AirPods. I'll share my first hands on impressions sky high speeds. Which major airline is the first to adopt Starlink's cutting edge internet and twenty three and meters data breach settlement? Could you be in line for a payout?
Speaker 2: Plus?
Speaker 1: Your burning tech questions answered? What's going on rich dmiro and you are tuned into Rich on Tech. This is the show where I break down the tech you need to know about and solve your digital dilemmas. My mission is to make tech interesting, useful and fun. Got a tech question, I'm all yours. Give me a ring at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you like to type no problem, just head to rich on tech dot tv. That's Rich on tech dot tv and hit the content tacked button. Let's dive into the world of tech together. Some great guests this week, Washington Post tech columnist Jeffrey Fowler. We'll talk about Apple Intelligence and his test drive and how it's still a little quirky. Then later we've got top tech YouTuber I Justine She's going to share her thoughts on the new iPhone sixteen and the other Apple products. And later in the show, YouTube creator John from gen X Grown Up is going to talk all things eighties, nostalgia, retrogaming, and how classic brands want in on the modern tech landscape. Well, this was the probably the biggest week in technology of the year, Apple's annual iPhone event in Kopertino, where they introduced new iPhone sixteen models, AirPods four, and Apple Watches. And yes, I was there, probably my fourteenth year of covering Apple events. Wow, it's a lot. It's a lot of iPhones. It's been a lot of iPhones over the years. So I was at the original iPhone event launch in New York City back in two thousand and seven, and then my job kind of took me in different directions, so I wasn't at some of the launches. Then when I got to KTLA started covering all of the iPhone events starting in twenty eleven, so it's been a bit And yeah, I've seen the iPhone evolve over the years. This is the iPhone sixteen and sixteen plus. So basically you sit through the presentation up in Cooper Tino these days. Now, they used to all be live, right, so everything was live. They would have, you know, the CEO come out, whether it was Steve Jobs back in the day and now Tim Cook, and then he would come out welcome everyone, and then they would literally show off these products to a live audience. And the products were there on stage, they would literally pull a veil off of them sometimes or hold them up in their hand to show them off. Now ever since COVID, they do everything pre taped, so it's a lot slick, but you know, not as much can go wrong because it's all they're done, and you know it's it's on tape, so it's not as it's exciting, but it's not the same energy as it used to be because you're just basically watching a movie when you go up there. But it's still fun because the best part is after the presentation ends, you all run into this other room and go hands out with the new devices. So basically everyone that's invited to the event are the first people in the world to experience these new products.
Speaker 3: So let's go through them. First.
Speaker 1: Off, iPhones sixteen and sixteen plus. These are the base Apple iPhones, modest upgrades, slightly improved camera. The action button is now replacing the mute and ringer switch. This is what they did last year with the Pro models. Now it's across all models. And then there is this new touch sensitive camera control area. They don't call it a button, but I do. It is basically a dedicated button on the side on the right side of the iPhones that not only when press activates the camera, A second press will take a picture, a press and hold will take a video, and then you can lightly press or lightly tap and bring up camera controls like focus and zoom. It's a little complicated. Yes, it's gonna take some getting used to, Yes, but this is a new way to launch the camera on the iPhone and eventually maybe other things as well. A lot of developers already tapping into this, so, for instance, if you're in something like Snapchat, you would be able to use that button for an added functionality. So it's one more physical button on the iPhone and it's going to open up some possibilities. It's a little weird, I'll be honest. My initial hands on time was a little shaky. I would say I wasn't able to master it. Immediately, but we'll see as time goes on. But it does free up one icon on your home screen because you no longer need that camera icon because now you can just press the side of the phone. Seven and ninety nine dollars for the iPhone sixteen, nine hundred dollars for the iPhone sixteen plus. Now when it comes to the iPhone sixteen Pro and Pro Max, this is where a majority of the major improvements are larger screens than ever before on an iPhone six point three inches up from six point one inches and six point nine inches up from six point seven inches.
Speaker 3: Now in the hand, they don't.
Speaker 1: Feel much bigger, but they are a little bit bigger, but Apple stretch the screen more to the edges to make them so that they can still make these bigger screens. But the phone overall doesn't feel much bigger. It does feel a little bit bigger.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest.
Speaker 1: What I like that they've done here is the specs are the same. So if you want a big phone, you can go for a big phone. If you want a smaller phone, you can go for the smaller phone, and you still get the same specs except for the screen size and battery it's the same exact thing that Sam that Google did with the Pixel nine Pro and the Pixel nine Pro XL. Samsung still reserves their best feet for the Ultra.
Speaker 3: We will see if.
Speaker 1: They change their tune this next time around, because people have a choice with the iPhone and Google. Now we'll see if they get a choice with Samsung as well. Five times optical zoom on both models. As you might remember, last year, it was a three X on the Pro and a five X on the Promax.
Speaker 3: Now it's five X on both.
Speaker 1: Improved ultra wide camera, so you're getting a forty eight megapixel ultra wide camera, so everything's going to look just a little bit better in the ultra wide and you're getting four K, one hundred and twenty frames per second video.
Speaker 3: That is quite incredible.
Speaker 1: All the nerds in the audience, especially the video creators, were going nuts over that because it is super smooth video and you can slow it down after the fact and it's still gonna look really good. Better heat dissipation, so if your phone heats up a lot, especially when it's charging or when it's in the sun. They've improved I don't know if they called it the vapor chamber, but that's what they call it in the other phone. So apparently these phones will have better heat dissipation, which means your phone should stay cooler while it's charging and while it's under heavy use. And the batteries are bigger across the board, so better battery life by the tune of a couple hours for each model, So that's always a good thing.
Speaker 3: Whenever we see improved battery life.
Speaker 1: Prices on the sixteen Pro and Promax nine hundred ninety nine dollars basically one thousand bucks for the Pro, twelve hundred dollars for the Pro Max. My advice do not get the base model. One hundred and twenty eight gigabytes is not enough for these phones. These are powerhouse phones. If you're recording four K video at one hundred and twenty frames, you're going to go through that one hundred and twenty eight gigabytes in about two days, So you need to get the two hundred and fifty six minimum. And yes, Apple plays pricing game, so it's only one hundred do dollars extra.
Speaker 3: Now, don't complain to me. You're already spending one thousand.
Speaker 1: Go the extra ten percent to get that eleven hundred dollars price point and double the storage on your phone. You'll thank me later. I don't care if you have iCloud. It still makes a huge difference to have that storage on your phone. And you're paying basically fifty percent less for the two hundred and fifty six gigs than you are for the one twenty eight. All right, now, let's talk Apple Watch ten Thinner and lighter. It is noticeably thinner and lighter on your wrist. It also sits lower to your wrist. That big back bump is sort of gone. Comes in this new Jet black finish, which is really nice. Screens are larger, so they're saying I think like ten percent larger on the screens, faster charging. It now detects sleep apnea, so this is something that's undiagnosed in like eighty percent of people. It will diagnose that now and give you if it thinks you have it. It will give you a PDF that you can print out and bring to your doctor. A new tides app, So if you like to serve or do anything with the ocean, this will tell you the high and low tides. You can save your favorite beaches, and the built in speaker can now play audio. So it used to be the built in speaker on the Apple Watch could only do Siri and also phone calls. Now you can listen to, say, streaming music or a podcast, or any kind of music you want on the built in speaker. I know it's a small thing, but if you forget your headphone somewhere, if you're on a walk, maybe you're by yourself, you just want some companionship on the audio there on the built in speaker.
Speaker 3: You don't want to have headphones in.
Speaker 1: You've got that option that starts at three hundred and ninety nine dollars to the Apple Watch ten, the Ultra two. They did not come out with an Ultra three. The Ultra two now comes in titanium black. Yes, it is very good looking. That's if you're the ultrasports enthusiast. That starts at eight hundred dollars. All right, let's go to the air pods. Now, AirPods four these are the new entry level AirPods one hundred and twenty nine bucks. Do not buy them at that price. They often go on sale for cheaper, especially during the holidays. But they have a new active noise cancelation option. For one hundred and seventy nine dollars. So this is an open ear design, which means you don't have to seal out your ears, and you'll still get that active noise cancelation. Probably not going to be as good on a plane, but for every day when you're just out and about. If you like to have some of those noises canceled but you still want to have your ear open to the world, that's a nice option. You also get a wireless charging case for that one seventy nine, And this is really neat. The AirPods Pro two is actually now FDA approved for use as hearing aids. This is going to open up hearing aids for many many people who already have these or who just want hearing aids. They're two hundred and forty nine dollars, but right now I just check they're on Amazon for like less than that, so you can get that hearing aids for less than two hundred and fifty bucks. And the health app inside the phone is going to help you test your hearing. I took a sample of this, and you basically tap the screen as you're listening to different frequencies. It gives you a little report and it says, hey, do you want us to tune these as hearing aids? And now you can hear everything around you much better than before. Finally, Apple Intelligence AI features not launching the same day as these new devices. All these new devices are going to be available on Septem number twentieth. The AI stuff is going to roll out later that will work on the iPhone fifteen Pro models and later. And if you don't want to get a new phone, September sixteenth, iOS eighteen is going to launch as a free update that's going to be compatible with the iPhone ten R and later. So that's the eleven, the twelve, the thirteen, the fourteen, the fifteen, and the sixteen, as well as the iPhone S two. If you want to check which iPhone you have it if it's been a while since you upgraded, you can go into Settings General, about and model name and that will tell you which one you have. But basically the bottom line is modest upgrades this year. I think a lot of the pro phones have some great upgrades, but only if you are using your camera a lot, your video a lot. And also if you want those AI features, you're going to have to update unless you have that iPhone fifteen Pro.
Speaker 3: But across the board, Apple.
Speaker 1: Did some really cool stuff, very exciting, and I have it all linked up on my newsletter this week. Just go to Rich on tech dot TV and you can read everything that I think about these new devices in depth.
Speaker 3: Right there, All.
Speaker 1: Right, coming up, it's your turn. Let's get some of your calls in at eight eight eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 3: If you got a tech question, don't be shy, give me a ring.
Speaker 1: I'm Rich Demiro. You are locked into Rich on Tech. Stay tuned right here. Let's go to uh Bill in Los Angeles. Bill, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I asked the question earlier.
Speaker 5: I guess I have to repeat the question again.
Speaker 1: Yes, you probably talked to Kim. Now you're talking Rich on the radio live.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted to ask you. One question was about on the web right now. You know, when you're on these sites, it always says that with the new sixteen coming on, Apple is trying to get rid of the fifteen, so there are a lot of sites giving it away for free. I don't think that's really true. It's one of those things that you know sounds too good to be true, So I don't that's probably not true, right.
Speaker 3: It depends on the website.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean, if you're talking about one of these websites that's like get a free iPhone fifteen, that's a scam. But if you're talking about one of the carriers advertising a free iPhone, that is not a scam, but it is scamy, and I can explain that. So yeah, anything that's offering a free phone with no strings attached or like you know, fill out a survey, that is a scam for sure.
Speaker 4: And the ones that with the like T Mobile, Verizon, those are because you're going to commit to them for a couple.
Speaker 3: Of years or something like that exactly. So my fends up one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So my friend and I we were chatting about this last night because we were talking about all the deals out there because whenever this happens, basically the carriers go nuts and they say get a free iPhone, and it's either with trade in or even without trade in sometimes. But here's here's how it works, and here's the basic math. So the basic bottom line is you're paying more every single month for three years to get that free iPhone if you were not sticking with that carrier. Let's just say you went with something like let's say you bought the iPhone outright for a thousand bucks and then you went to Mint Mobile, which is unlimited for thirty dollars a month. You know, you're talking a year of service would be the phone would be one thousand plus three hundred and sixty dollars. That's thirteen hundred and sixty dollars. Now, let's say you went with a big carrier that's saying, hey, we'll give you a free iPhone, but you have to stick with us for three years. And by the way, you have to be on our highest price unlimited plan, which is about ninety dollars a month. So now times ninety dollars a month times thirty six months, or let's just yeah, let's just yeah. So that's thirty two hundred and forty dollars, you know, and you're not getting the and you're getting the phone for free quote unquote, and a lot of those you have to kind of pay as well, so or trade in a phone as well. So again it really comes down to when you do the math, it's not a better deal necessarily but here's the caveat, and here's here's the thing. If you're already on an unlimited plan and you're already with one of the big carriers and they're giving you that upgrade deal, and you're not going to switch carriers to an MV and O or a cheaper carrier, then it's not the end of the world to get the free phone from them, as long as you are going to stick with them for the next couple of years, because if you don't stick with them, they will make you pay the balance of whatever they're doing. Because they don't give you that phone for free upfront. They do it as a credit on your bill over the next three years, just to ensure that you.
Speaker 3: Stick with them.
Speaker 1: So it's not like, you know, you can just leave after two months and they forget about it. No, no, no, they've got you signed there. So again, if you do the math quickly, you know there are some ways to really save if you buy the phone out right, and quite frankly, I think that is the best way to buy the phone because it gives you the most options, and then the next year when you want to trade it in, if you want to upgrade again, you can get a pretty good amount for that iPhone because iPhones do not lose a lot of value over the years. So a good question, Bill, appreciate it. I know it's a lot of math, it's a lot of kind of figuring out.
Speaker 3: But the main carriers that are really.
Speaker 1: Good with unlimited are something like A Visible from Verizon, a Mint Mobile, and even Total from Verizon. They're doing some good deals as well. AT and T has a lot of mv and os, and mv and O is what's called a mobile virtual network operator. So basically these companies buy network space from one of the big companies like an AT and T, a T Mobile or Verizon, and then they repackage it and their whole thing is just marketing to consumers, and they often don't have all of those like extra perks like a free Netflix or free this or free that, or international roaming. It's just basically unlimited data and sometimes unlimited hotspot eighty to eight rich one on one if you want to hop on the phones. Coming up, we're going to talk to Jeffrey Fowler of The Washington Post about Apple's AI. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight rich one, Oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: We'll get back to those phone lines in just a moment.
Speaker 1: But first joining me now is Jeffrey Fowler, technology columnist for the Washington Post.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 5: So thank glad to be here.
Speaker 1: So you took a look at the new AI features on the iPhone, which are not arriving on the first day that the iPhones are going to be available. It's going to be a software update later on. But this is Apple Intelligence and you wrote all about it in your column this week.
Speaker 2: What were your first impressions.
Speaker 6: I found Apple Intelligence to be useful except for when it went completely bonkers.
Speaker 5: And I think it's definitely worth explaining.
Speaker 6: To folks who are thinking about buying a new iPhone exactly what state this Apple Intelligence software is at, because from what I've seen, it might tick them awhile and make this something that.
Speaker 5: You really want to have a part of your daily life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because the iPhone has gotten so slick and so good that, according to your column, it almost takes it a step back because now we're dealing with hallucinations and mistakes by the AI.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so One of the things that I think anybody with putting the software on their phone will notice most is that Apple Intelligence is constantly trying to summarize the information coming into your phone.
Speaker 5: So every email in your inbox.
Speaker 6: Get says instead of like seeing the two lines, you get an AI written summary.
Speaker 5: Same thing goes for alerts on your lock screen.
Speaker 6: Instead of just seeing, you know, an alert that says somebody press your doorbell, you'll see a summary of all the alerts that you've gotten from that app. Sometimes those are super useful, Like looking at the first two lines of most people's email is a complete waste of time, right, That's where they say, That's where they say, oh, oh, I hope you are well.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to clear my throat.
Speaker 6: So the idea that an AI can read the email for you and tell you what it's really about to help you decide whether to tap in and read the whole thing is useful.
Speaker 5: It's useful, I would even argue most of the time.
Speaker 6: The problem is right now, Apple Intelligence sometimes gets it completely wrong, will confuse people's names and get the information backwards, and then you have these kind of like either laugh out loud moments at your phone like one that I had, for example, was when in an email summary it said to me that I was teaching a course at Berkeley.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 6: It actually meant that somebody else was teaching of course at Berkeley, but it got it confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say.
Speaker 1: The other example you mentioned was the social security spam email, and it's like, hey, hi, alert, you got this email about your social Security number being stolen or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's thet thing it does is it moves.
Speaker 6: It decides what is like a super important email, and it moves to the top of your inbox and it's just on that.
Speaker 5: For me so far has been carible. It also can get crazy when it.
Speaker 6: Tries to summarize news alerts or social media alerts.
Speaker 5: I get push alerts from.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump's Truth social and I got one the other day that said Trump endorses walls and I was like what, And again it just got it backwards.
Speaker 5: And look like, here's the challenge.
Speaker 6: We know that this is a fundamental problem with today's generative AI technology. Every big company who's putting out products with this faces this.
Speaker 5: Jack QPT faces this. Google faces this with Gemini.
Speaker 6: But what's different here is you're not using a separate app for Apple Intelligence. It's not like you go over to the Apple Intelligence app where you know, like, Okay, sometimes it's gonna be a little crazy. This stuff is integrated throughout your phone, so there is like a sprinkling of crazy all over your phone right now that I think might make.
Speaker 5: People feel a little weird or just make them feel like their phone is their smartphone is less smart.
Speaker 2: Now, now you kind of mentioned the bad, what about the good?
Speaker 1: Was there any highlights of how this AI worked to your advantage?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I actually now super rely on those little summaries of my emails to decide which ones to open up, and you know, spend the time to look at They're much more useful than than you know, looking at the first two.
Speaker 5: Lines of an email.
Speaker 6: There's a there's a capability that's kind of a new more natural language search for your for your photos, and I found that useful to kind of pull back memories from you know, like oh yeah, there was a place I went to once that had stripes on it, and you can just sort of search in that kind of way.
Speaker 5: Now, I found that useful.
Speaker 1: Is that is that as good as Apple is advertising? Because I haven't tested that feature. I've been playing with the one inside Google Photos.
Speaker 2: It's good Apple.
Speaker 1: Saying, you know, I dove into a lake and I was wearing a striped swimsuit and you can find that exact moment. Is that true?
Speaker 5: It is pretty good? Like, it's funny you mentioned stripe.
Speaker 6: So my my my test search that I think of is I asked it to find a striped playground that I once went to, and it was.
Speaker 5: Able to find it. It didn't find all of it.
Speaker 6: And but the thing is like, that's a pretty low stake situation. Well, okay, if it missed a couple, it's not not a big deal.
Speaker 5: And that's that's where Apple, I think, has mostly.
Speaker 6: Focused its energy with with Apple Intelligence on things like that. But you know, if you do the head to heat versus what Google can do with photos, I would suspect that Google probably still a little bit better.
Speaker 7: Now, why are we talking about beta software?
Speaker 1: Because typically, you know, you cover for the average consumer, as do I. Typically I don't cover beta software because it's beta, it's not done yet.
Speaker 7: So why are we even talking about this?
Speaker 5: Absolutely a great question.
Speaker 6: I I don't think I've I'm trying to think of I ever written about beta software before from Apple.
Speaker 5: You know, for the average consumer. Here's what's different this time.
Speaker 6: Apple is already selling these iPhones with the marque feature of Apple Intelligence.
Speaker 5: It is asking people to plunk down.
Speaker 6: At least eight hundred bucks today for a phone on the promise that this thing is going to that that is you know, purpose built in the iPhone sixteen, is going to make their lives better, is going to make their phone smarter. And I think that raises the bar Apple has to then really show us, well, how good is it? Otherwise we're just buying based on the promise of marketing and I don't I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't believe in that. I believe trust but verifies, and that what Reagan said.
Speaker 6: So it's important for journalists and independent people like yourself and me to really say, Okay, what can it really do and where does it let us down?
Speaker 5: Because here's the thing.
Speaker 6: With all of these AI products that have been coming out over the last year or two, so many of them that I've used and tested and written about really are up being disappointments. They end up promising things to consumers that they don't deliver on. They maybe even deliver misinformation because of this problem with just making stuff up. So I think we have to be especially attuned to sort of challenging some of the claims about artificial intelligence, because despite what marketers think, it is not just magic. It is actually software and software with a lot of known problems.
Speaker 7: What about privacy?
Speaker 1: Did you you know, because this is making use of a lot of the data on your phone, do you feel like there's any privacy concerns or do you feel like Apple got that part right?
Speaker 5: I don't think we really know enough yet.
Speaker 8: So part of the challenge in writing about Beata software is only parts of it already, and unfortunately one of the parts that's not ready even to test at this point is the part.
Speaker 6: That digs deep into your data to make serious s marter. For example, Apple has said that they've done some things that make sense to me.
Speaker 5: You know, again, we just.
Speaker 6: I think we don't really know enough information about that yet, and and independent people haven't been really been able to.
Speaker 5: Poke at it all.
Speaker 1: Right, Finally, you've been covering this stuff for a long time. Do you feel like this is a pretty exciting time in the tech world with all this AI stuff? Even though there are many pitfalls and there are many stumbles, do you.
Speaker 7: Still feel like it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 6: Look, AI is allowing people to do things that previously would have required a lot of expertise.
Speaker 5: There's so much opportunity here.
Speaker 6: I just think we're at a moment though, where the rush is on from Silicon Valley to make money from this stuff, And a lot of these big tech companies in particular, are selling snake oil, and they're promising things that these technologies can't do, or they're even introducing things that could be harmful for individual users or for society.
Speaker 5: So I think we're at this moment where it has never been more.
Speaker 6: Important to have independent journalists and researchers and other folks really probing what these things really.
Speaker 9: Do so that we can get that balance right, especially as we also think about what should the laws be, who should be responsible, what should we expect paw should we expect a big tech company to act when somebody buying a problem with the AI that it's making something that's dangerous.
Speaker 5: You know, all that still has to be worked out.
Speaker 6: So, uh, this is I think a key moment for US voices outside the companies.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey Fowler with The Washington Post check out the column.
Speaker 7: You can read them there. What's the best way for folks to follow you online?
Speaker 5: I'm on threads and on Twitter at Jeffrey Fowler.
Speaker 6: And then of course you can go over to the post and you can click on a button to get an email at the time, I have a column.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining me today to talk Apple AI or rich on Tech coming your way right after this, and Net.
Speaker 3: Wrote in on the website rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: I have an Android and I can't figure out how to stop group chat notifications. Even when I turn them off, they reactivate as soon as someone replies I've tried looking online for a solution but can't find one.
Speaker 3: How do I stop this madness?
Speaker 1: Well, Annette, I'm glad you found me because I will help you stop this madness right now. All right, you said you're on Android, So open up the messages app on Android, tap the message that you want to silence, and then you go to the upper right hand corner. There is three little dots. That's your overflow menu. You tap that and it says details Now. Once you get in there, there's an option for notifications. You are now modifying the notifications for this specific text this group text, and on a Samsung for instance, it gives you a choice of priority, alert or silent. If you're on Pixel, it might be slightly different. But what you're looking for is that silent, and so you tap that and next thing you know, you're not gonna get those notifications. Now you can leave it as alert, but you can turn the sound and the vibration off. So if you still want it to show you the alert on your screen like that, you have a notification, but you don't want the sound or the vibration of your phone. You can then tap under sound where it says default notification and then you tap silent. So if you tap silent up at the top, that removes the notification altogether, but if you go into sound that will remove the sound notification. Great question, Annette. Those group chats can really be fun to be on. But for me, I find that when people start group chatting, it's always in the middle of something. When I'm trying to do something, whether it's work, whether it's come out on a choote, whether it's you know, I'm trying to focus or concentrate, it's like all of a sudden, everyone in the group chat starts chatting and then you can't stop it and you're like silencing your phone and all these different things.
Speaker 3: So hopefully that will help you do that. Let's go to ed in Tarzana. Ed you're on with rich.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Hi, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, what can I help you with?
Speaker 10: Okay? So I heard in your earlier segment that the Apple Watch can diagnose sleep apnia. So I'm a pomonologist and I also am certified in sleep and I treat sleep apnia. And apnia is when hear doesn't enter doesn't enter the lungs for ten seconds. Hypopnia is when they are full decreases by thirty percent accompanied by a dropping oxygen. So the number of events per hour is how you diagnose sleep appen So you need to measure the flow of air, you need to measure the chess movement. So how in the world does an Apple watch do that?
Speaker 1: Great question, and thanks for asking me to clarify on here. So if I did say diagnosis in the earlier segment, it is not a diagnosis. It is meant to alert users who may have undiagnosed sleep apnea. So let me run through how it works. So it's actually using so you have to wear the Apple Watch while you sleep, and it's using the accelerometer, the sensor in the Apple Watch, and of course machine learning algorithm, so it's an algorithm that's using this accelerometer to detect what they're calling breathing disturbances during sleep. So this feature will track those breathing disturbances every night, display them in the Health app, and then you can see your nightly values and trends over time. And this feature is going to look at a thirty day window of data. So I understand if you're getting this diagnosed by an actual sleep clinician, you may have to wear something for a while or take a test or something, but this is where you wear your watch every night, and then you'll get that notification if at least in half of the nights in thirty days you show some sort of elevated breathing disturbance. So you have to wear your watch a lot, at least ten nights out of the thirty for this feature to work, and then once it's triggered, you'll get that notification saying you may have potential sleep apnea and you should talk to your doctor, and that's when they're going to send you that QR code that you can scan, download the pdf, bring that to your doctor and see what's going on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The way they validated this was with over eleven thousand nights of sleep data and they compared it, of course against clinical sleep tests. It showed sixty six point three percent sensitivity detecting cases and ninety eight point five percent specificity, which means, you know, avoiding those false positives. So it's really designed for people that don't know they have sleep apnea and to get more people diagnosed with sleep apnea so that they can do something about it. And this is going to work on the Apple Watch Series nine, the Series ten, and the Ultra two. It did get the let's see, did it get the FDA clearance. I don't know if it got it just yet, but it is. I believe it's it's pending FDA clearance. So the hearing aid I know featured that just did get the clearance. This is probably any day now as well. So it's Apple. You know, they're forging ahead with these health features, and I do think that it probably will help a lot of people, so I know I'll be testing it out, so I will bring you some updates. I don't think I have sleep apnea, but then again, how do I know? I guess I will now add in Tarzana, thanks so much for the call today.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Let's go to Let's see how long do I have?
Speaker 2: Two minutes?
Speaker 3: Oh, two and a half minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see if I can answer Tom's question in two and a half minutes.
Speaker 3: Tom, You're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: Good morning. Regarding the AirPods Gen two pros and all the new features, I have three sets of Gen two AirPod Pros, and I am a hearing aid user. I tend to use the AirPod Pro for just casual listening when it's non critical, and they work relatively well for that. But as I look at the Apple website and all the new features on the Pro twos, it says for hearing health coming soon, for voice isolation coming this fall, new hands free serie experience coming this fall. New Pro two is going to be any different than the old Pro twos.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're they changed the name. No you're getting these features. This is just this is just a software update. So you already if you already have these air Pods Pro too, you're getting the hearing aid feature. So they're going to roll this out to potentially hundreds of thousands of people overnight. So anyone who has these current AirPods Pro two only the second model, which you know they've been these been have been on sale for two years now, I believe, So it is a it is a software update, so yes, you will get the hearing aid feature. And this again is for users with mild to moderate hearing loss. Uh. And again Apple is calling this clinical grade hearing aids. And I took the test. You do it on the iPhone, takes about five minutes. It's inside the Health app, and it can detect hearing levels from little to no loss up to severe and profound loss. And then of course you can fine tune once you get your results the settings like tone balance and amplification, and you can even do that in real time. Plus you can use the microphones and noisy environments to focus on human voices. And there's just a lot going on here, and I think that this is something that Apple I think hit out of the park because AirPods, like you said, you already own a couple of pairs, and they're they're very prevalent everywhere and the fact that they've had similar features in the past, like the live listening feature, and they've had some adjustments that you can do. But the fact that these are now going to sort of check your hearing and then adjust based on that, I think is going to be game changing. So Tom, no need to do anything except just wait for that software update, and of course I will update you on when that's available. Eight to dight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is rich Dmiro. You are doing something smart for yourself. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking tech now oology. This is a show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions. You can give me a call at triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Yes, you have to use that thing in your pocket as a phone. I know it's a social media machine, it's an email device, it's a YouTube video watcher, but it's also a phone and you can dial that number and connect to me. Well, first you'll connect to Kim. If you can get through Kim, then you can get to me. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about maybe upgrading to a new phone, thinking about a new device, you need an app for something, something's not working, whatever it is, I'll do my best to see if I can answer it. The website is richontech dot tv. You can go there to sign up for my free newsletter. You can also hit contact if you want to send me an email, and you can hit the light bulb if you want to link to something I mentioned in today's show.
Speaker 3: It was funny my mom yesterday.
Speaker 1: You would not believe I've been doing a radio show now for a year and a half, over a year and a half, and you know, I've been on TV for I don't know, twenty years or something like that. But it's so interesting when someone actually sees you doing what you do. So my mom yesterday calls me and you would think that she just saw I don't know, like she it was like this this like sound in her voice where she was so excited and she's like, I just heard you on the radio. I said, oh my gosh, that's amazing. I was in my car, I'm listening to Z one hundred in New York City and I hear Ryan Seacrest say, we're talking to Rich Demiro and she said what, and so yes, I said, mom, I was talking about the new iPhone with Ryan Seacrest on his morning show. And she was just she thought it was the greatest thing. And I was like, well, you know, and she does listen to this show on her smart speaker, she'll listen live. But same thing happens all the time. Like I ran into a friend and he was like, I was in South Carolina. We're driving and all of a sudden, we tune to you and on the radio and we hear your voice, and it just happens over and over. Like people will tell me these stories what I'm out and about. I'm like, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: Is My point is there's a certain like fun of seeing yourself on TV or hearing yourself on the radio, and there's still some sort of energy that I don't think is matched in any other way than sort of that live broadcast energy. It's the reason why when you're standing at a basketball game doing a live shot and people are behind you making faces and you know, hand gestures and all trying to get on TV and all that stuff. It still happens no matter what across the world. Anyway, I thought that was pretty fun, So thank you for listening. I do appreciate it. Get to the phone lines in just a second here, but I want to tell you about this twenty three and Me settlement. Reuter's reporting that twenty three and Me has agreed to a thirty million dollar settlement in this data breach lawsuit. Some of you remember last year, this data breach that happened with twenty three and me affected about seven million customers personal information. And hackers got access to one of the databases that twenty three and Me had, and I guess they cleaned it out and got all this information on these people. And this is like you know, DNA information whatever they have in twenty three and me. If you want to check to see if you are affected, you probably got an email from twenty three and Me at this point, I guess. But you can go to that website have I been poned dot com? Have I been pwned dot com? And you can type in your email address and it will tell you. Now, I did do the twenty three and me DNA test. I guess I was not involved in this breach because it does not come up. What does come up is that my info was breached with AT and T, Bitley, Canva, Dzer, Discus, Dropbox, hot Look. I don't even know signing up for a hot Look, Kickstarter, MGM Resorts minted my fitness Pal, National Public Data, Patreon, share This, Trello, Zinga, White Pages. So yeah, my info's out there, so is yours. I'm sure that website is. Have I been ponned pwned dot com anyway? So twenty three and meters will I guess payout once a federal judge approves this, So if you were affected, you might have a little money coming your way.
Speaker 3: They expect. I thought this was interesting.
Speaker 1: Twenty five million dollars of this thirty million dollar settment will be covered by their cyber insurance. So I bet they're thinking, Wow, I'm glad we had that cyber insurance. Glad Jim recommended we go we opt for the cyber insurance because it really is going to pay off. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Jerry in Hatfield, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 12: You're on with Rich Rich Rich. I've got the Android tablet with a five point two Bluetooth and I've hooked it up to a wireless earbus. Not a problem. But I've got a keyboard. I watch you teke keyboard, and also I wanted to take the mouse, two separate ones. But I want to pair it to my tablet without using the doggle because the has a C connector, which you are very flimsy, and I have used two adapters to get the receiver built into. You know, either one can I Can I pair this tablet to either the keyboard or the mouse without using that the receiver?
Speaker 1: No, not if it doesn't have Bluetooth. So a lot of these mobile keyboards are mice that are wireless. They use their own frequency to transmit. Some of them are both, some are Bluetooth, and some have the dongle, and you can choose. But if this product does not have the Bluetooth built in, you're not gonna be able to connect it without the dog go because it does not use that dongle, does not use Bluetooth. It's not recreating a Bluetooth signal. It's it's creating its own wireless signal, probably a two point four gig Hurtz or something like that. So your options are to get an adapter, like you said, and they do make some slim adapters. But the problem is if you're using this for a tablet, you probably don't want adapter sticking out because it's going to just get caught up on things and get messed up. Do you know what kind of keyboard this is?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a Logitech tape I've done on your website. They don't tell you much about it. They gave me a bunch of letters and numbers or the bluetooth, but apparently it doesn't correlate to the tablet of it at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking up this keyboard.
Speaker 1: This does not have bluetooth, so it is a It is just using its own wireless system.
Speaker 3: So, uh, with that said.
Speaker 1: You could the popular keyboard that that you know a lot of people use with Logitech is the Keys to Go, and so it's a little bit more expensive. It's seventy bucks. The one that you're talking about is closer to twenty five. But this seventy dollars keyboard does have the Bluetooth built in, and so I know that. And Logitech has a bunch of keyboards that are like mobile keyboards, so you can check there, or you can just go online and find a Bluetooth keyboard that would work with this. So yeah, it's it's funny. A lot of people don't realize that you can connect a keyboard or you can actually just plug in a mouse to your I believe to your iPhone as well as your Android phone. But you know, if you have like a corded mouse, just do it. It's kind of funny. You just plug it in as long as it's USBC, which all the modern phones are, plug it in and it will you'll see that little cursor pop up on your phone, and it's it's kind of a weird experience. I think I did an Instagram video about this once on the iPhone. But yeah, you can do that and again with these keyboards and the mice. You know, you buy these wireless mice. So that's one good thing to look for if you're ever if you're ever shopping for a Bluetooth or I should say a mouse or a keyboard that's wireless, make sure you check to see what the specs are on the wireless sort of transmission because you want to make sure that you have something that's going to work with your device.
Speaker 3: If you don't want to use that dongle, you need to make sure it's Bluetooth.
Speaker 1: And so it throws a lot of people off because you think, oh, I don't need the dongle, I've got a Bluetooth device. No, it's the keyboard doesn't have that Bluetooth built in to take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Jerry and Hatfield, Pennsylvania, Thanks so much for the call today. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You might have gotten an email from Microsoft saying you got to do something, You got to take action or else your email is going to stop sinking.
Speaker 3: So here's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Starting September sixteenth, you will not be able to sink your email unless you switch to a modern email program for your Outlook email. And when they say Outlook, that usually means any sort of Microsoft email. So what happened is you probably authenticated your email a long time ago on the iPhone or on an Android device, or on your computer, and now Microsoft needs to make sure that it's using modern authentication, so instead of just that basic authentication method, which is your username and password back in the day, it's now using a higher level of security to make sure you are who you say you are. So in many cases, especially if you're using the iPhone, all you have to do is delete your account off of your iPhone, delete that Outlook account or that Microsoft account off your iPhone, and then just readd it. So the system has been upgraded over the years, and so all you have to do is just.
Speaker 3: Relog in and it should work.
Speaker 1: They have different kind of instructions for all these different setups you might have. So if you're on Outlook for Windows, you might have to upgrade to a newer version of Outlook or switch to Outlook dot Com slash exchange sinking. If you're on Mozilla Thunderbird, which is a free email app on your computer, all you have to do is remove and read the count the account. That should be just fine. On Apple again Apple Mail, just remove that account and read as Outlook dot com. And on any other app basically just just log in using that Outlook dot Com option and that's pretty much it. So this timeline started on June eleventh, so they probably been bugging folks since then, but September sixteenth, if that day comes and you have not switched over to a better log in, they are going to stop your email from sinking. So if that's happening to you, or if you've gotten this message, that's what you need to do is just basically delete your account and relog in. Unless you're using a super old version of Outlook, which is twenty seven, twenty ten, twenty thirteen, twenty sixteen, and twenty nineteen, you have to download the new free version of Outlook, which they do offer for both Windows, Mac, and and also the mobile devices. Eighty eight rich one on one. Coming up this hour, we're going to talk to tech YouTuber I Justine. She's going to share her thoughts on the new iPhone sixteen plus the other Apple products.
Speaker 3: My name is Rich Dmiro.
Speaker 1: This is Rich on Tech, the website for the show richon Tech dot TV. We'll get back to those phone lines in just a few minutes here. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology.
Speaker 3: Redondo Beach. So you're on with Rich.
Speaker 13: Hi, Rich. I don't know if I'm being skeptical or not, but uh, I had to sign up with Experience for three months for free through Triple A because our truck was stolen, And now that the three months have lapsed, I'm getting all these messages from Experience saying that my social Security number is now on the dark Web, And I'm thinking, do they just want me to sign up for a fee now that I surpassed the threeb three months.
Speaker 14: I don't know whether you believe it or not.
Speaker 1: Well, you can believe it. Your information is out there for sure. There's nothing you can do about it. That's the sad part. So there's a difference. And I've talked about this before on the show that the difference is there are data brokers, and that's all those like Spokeyo and people finders and stuff like that. They have your data and yes, it's like your name, your address, your phone number, your age.
Speaker 3: And then there's the dark web.
Speaker 1: And the dark web is where this stuff lives in a much more unstructured format. So this is information that is stolen from databases and hackers have gotten a hold of it and it is just freely being passed around on the Internet and there's really nothing you can do about it because it lives in these repositories online that just nobody has control over.
Speaker 3: It's just data files being exchanged.
Speaker 1: So I don't think that Experience is lying that your information is out there on the dark web. But until they give you a specific example of what that information is and specifically the data that's out there, I will tell you I feel like Experience and all these companies that we've signed up for to protect our information, like we you know, we all froze our information after the big data breach, they are using this as a huge opportunity to spam us, to sell us on all of this data protection privacy policy stuff. You know, Experience should be protecting you no matter what, because they're the ones that you know approve these uh you know, these credit score things, you know, like we're all your your credit report and things like that. So, Sue, the short answer is your information's probably out there.
Speaker 3: There's not really much you can do about it. Sadly.
Speaker 1: Now, if you want a free way to check to see what your uh what information is actually out there, I use Google. It's called Results about You, and it's free and so It used to be that you had to pay for this, but now they actually they actually give you a free access to this, and that is rolling out, so she may not have access immediately. But if you do a Google search for Google results about you, you can set up a profile to monitor the dark web. And Google obviously crawls the web every single day and they go into the far reaches of the Internet, so if your information is out there, they will unearth it. And the stuff that you can search for is your name, your address, your phone number, your email, your social security number, your use your name.
Speaker 3: And your password.
Speaker 1: And so once you add that information to your Google profile, they will say anytime that that information is found in the dark Web, they will alert you. And it's actually legitimate because I get those alerts and it tells you it's like, here's the actual information we found, whereas the experience email that you're getting is saying we found your information on the dark Web.
Speaker 3: Here sign up to learn more.
Speaker 1: That's, you know, in effect, is just kind of baiting you into into signing up for something you may or may not need.
Speaker 3: So does that help Sue.
Speaker 13: Yes, it does. But if you see it on Google and it does come out positive and all that, then what do you do about it?
Speaker 1: Then there's nothing you can do about it, sadly. If it's so, there's again it comes back to two things. So Google will do two things for you. They will tell you, hey, we just found your information on whitepages dot com or spochio dot com or housefinder dot com. Would you like us to take down that search result. It doesn't take down the information, but it takes down that link on Google to your information. So if someone's searching for you, that link will not show up, and you can do that in about a second through the notification they send you, and they will say do you want this on the web? And you say no, and it will just basically ninety nine percent of the time they approve it and they will take it down. When it comes to the dark web, it's more of an awareness thing. So the dark web is more of an awareness that your information is out there. Your usernames, your passwords, your social those are the pieces of information that are pretty much at this point out there for everyone, sadly because of some of the recent data breaches. But there's not really much you can do to pull that back. But what you can do is understand the fact that once that information's out there, you have to protect your identity at any cost, which means freezing your credit reports, putting a fraudler on your credit reports as well, and making sure you're not using the same password over and over or the same user name over and over, because once they're out there, these hackers are trying them on different websites and that's many times how people get hacked.
Speaker 3: So, Sue, great question.
Speaker 1: I know it sounds a little disconcerting to know that this information is out there and there's not.
Speaker 3: Much we can do. But is that is the reality of all these data breaches?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up, we are going to talk with I Justine. You might know her from YouTube. She's going to share her thought thoughts on all of the new Apple products right here on rich on Tech.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We will get back to those phone lines in just a few minutes. But first, very excited to have my next guest on the show. She has over seven million subscribers on YouTube. One of the ogs. She might have invented the genre of covering tech in the way that you see it covered today on the internet. I Justine, Justine, welcome to the show.
Speaker 15: Hello, thank you so much for having me. This is incredible.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being on. And saw you up at the event.
Speaker 1: This actually was one of the first times that we actually did not chat at the Apple event because things were so frantic.
Speaker 15: It was very frandt.
Speaker 16: I did see you on the news in the hotel lobby while I was eating breakfast.
Speaker 15: The picture I need to send it to you.
Speaker 1: That is awesome and see and I actually just told the story about my mom seeing me on or hearing me on the radio, And there is just something exciting. Even when I see you like pop up somewhere, I'm like, oh, I know her, Like it's just there's something fun about it, right, I know.
Speaker 15: It was so good.
Speaker 16: I was hoping to see you come around the corner of really surprise. I'm also here too, Yes.
Speaker 1: We have We've traditionally stayed at the same place sometimes, but I chose a different place this time and it was fine, you know, so I mine had free breakfast as well, which I always like in a hotel that's.
Speaker 15: Honestly all that matters. Free breakfast and Wi Fi.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh and my WiFi was not good at this hotel, which was really sad. I actually think one of the main hotel chains in French their name means bad WiFi.
Speaker 3: That's what I've come to the conclusion of.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Apple Event, what's your initial initial takeaway from the Apple Event this year with the iPhones, the Apple Watch, and the AirPods.
Speaker 15: You know, I'm I'm obviously excited.
Speaker 16: I think one of the most surprising things was the I think we knew it was already coming, but like the air Pods Pro too, Like that update is huge, you know, the fact that we're going to be getting all of those health features for hearing and health and it's just it's amazing because it's at that price point too, Like that can help so many people that need that extra hearing assistance.
Speaker 15: Obviously, the iPhone sixteen Pro and.
Speaker 16: The capture button, I feel like that's going to take some getting used to because even trying to use it during the hands on events, I kept forgetting that I could hit the button, and they kept reminding me, no, no, you can hit the button.
Speaker 15: You don't have to go and like search for the camera app and do it the ways that you normally did. So it's going to be so fun to try that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like anything else. It takes a little bit of muscle memory.
Speaker 1: Although I will say, and you can, you can tell me what your thoughts are on this. So the action button I still a year in do not. I always forget it's there, and so I haven't set a good shortcut for it. I haven't really set a good use for it. What are you using that for? That's the other button they added last year. Now that's coming to the fifteen are sorry they started it on the fifteen Pro lineup. Now it's on the entire sixteen lineup. Which is the button on the left hand side. It used to be the Ringer silent switch. Now it's like a programmable button you can make do anything.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I just have it set up as my silent.
Speaker 16: Which my phone is always on silent, so it's you know, it doesn't really get that much use, but I have seen a lot of people do a lot of really cool things with it, like set it up to use as shortcuts. But most of the time, you know, I have my camera app on like my main home screen, so I just tap that, don't even have to like log into my phone and just start going to themer because I think that's going to be the biggest feature for me, is being able to just hit that button on the side and the camera actually just pop up and open.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's interesting because I thought that Apple might because on the on the androids, basically it's all of them kind of do the double tap of the power button will bring up the camera.
Speaker 3: And so now on I phone you have it.
Speaker 1: I mean, they kind of one uped it because I was always like, oh, that's reserved for Apple Pay on the iPhone, but now they actually added a whole other way to launch the camera, which in some ways is even better because now you can launch your Apple Pay and your camera dedicated buttons, which is nice, which is rare.
Speaker 15: Oh I too for sure.
Speaker 16: No, I mean I use the Apple Pay button all the time because I don't even ever carry actual credit cards, So it's amazing to sort of have that sort of be its dedicated thing.
Speaker 15: And I think it's cool because this is still the beginning for that. So you know what.
Speaker 16: Apple showed us there could be more things down the line. That they update in the software to give us more features, and having third party developers be able to really.
Speaker 15: Tap into that for their apps.
Speaker 16: I mean, it's going to be a whole kind of new way, and I think this really shows Apple's dedication to making these be so much more than phones be content creation devices.
Speaker 15: And even on the fifteen shooting in pro res log.
Speaker 16: I mean, I don't think enough people experience the full capacity of like what you can do with that footage and how amazing you can make it look. So as soon as we get our hands on that one twenty progress and shooting in log on like an external drive, it's going to be so amazing.
Speaker 15: So I'm just getting so excited.
Speaker 1: Explain that for the light person, Like, what does that mean exactly? It's like basically like Hollywood style creation or what.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So it basically will give you kind of like a very flat image, but it's preserving a lot of the color data inside of it to give you the ability to collagrade it and kind of add your own style. So it's kind of preserving a lot of those low lights, highlights and that color to let you kind of have more creative style. And then one hundred and twenty frames a second is just some super set up video that you can then slow down to make it very slow and cinematic. And for that you do need to use an external drive, So any of those like faster USBC drives, you can plug those directly into your phone now and record right to the drive and you basically have all of your footage there that you can take edit and it's so exciting.
Speaker 1: So on the base models, you got five colors, black, white, pink, teal, and ultramarine. Which is your pick? Which one did you like the most?
Speaker 15: I mean, is that even a question? Obviously the pink one.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, because I use my Pink Eye Justine cable every single day. So I set it up actually on the side of my couch. I have the cable coming out from the back of the wall so I can like just sit down. I've got my little table and my little cable where I can charge my phone while I'm sitting there. And I love it, so I use it every day. You did that, what was it a couple of years ago?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 15: Yeah, that was like two years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I still love it. You're still selling it.
Speaker 15: I know, yeah, I know they're still there.
Speaker 16: I think we're going to be doing something for breast cancer where it is in October, so stay tuned.
Speaker 15: Very excited about that. Okay, But yeah, the pink iPhone.
Speaker 16: It's funny because I kept looking at the color and look, I had a graphic design background, so as soon as I looked at it, I was like, that's.
Speaker 15: Actually more of a barry color than pink. But okay, it's all right.
Speaker 16: It does have a little more of a purple kind of look to it, like when we were looking at them at the hands on, but you know what, pink is pink.
Speaker 15: It's pink enough for me and.
Speaker 3: I'll take it now.
Speaker 1: On the pro models, the colors are a little more muted because I guess the way that you affect titanium is tougher. I don't know, I'm not an expert in this stuff, but four finishes black, natural white, and desert titanium, So what's your pick there?
Speaker 15: Definitely going to go with the desert. I keep wanting to call it a desert rose because it does sort.
Speaker 16: Of have like that warm kind of gold feeling, which matched really well.
Speaker 15: With the new gold titanium watch band.
Speaker 16: As well and that new gold finish, because it did look a little bit different when we were kind of holding them up in the hands on events and I did compare them side by side to each other, and they just they look stunning.
Speaker 1: So you've been covering this stuff for a long time. A what keeps you excited? And B what are people saying to you about these new devices? Like what are they asking about the most?
Speaker 16: I think everyone just kind of really wants to see, like what's the differences? And I think the hard thing is, you know, there's not huge differences in between each of these upgrades, Like if you have a fifteen, like you really don't need to go and get as sixteen, but do you want to?
Speaker 15: Yeah? Maybe I think that's where it's.
Speaker 16: It's the hard thing is like there are kind of these incremental updates where you don't need to update every single year. I think if I wasn't a tech reviewer that was doing this every single year, I probably wouldn't need.
Speaker 3: To That's not true. You come on, you're I know you're like me.
Speaker 1: It's like to me, like my brain just works like I want the latest, Like I just no matter what, I'm just.
Speaker 16: Trying to be like logical, Like you know, if I'm just like, you know, every day hanging out, like you really don't need it because it's still so great. And then you know, I see photos and videos that people are taking on their you know, iPhone twelves, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 15: They still look incredible. So there is a big difference.
Speaker 16: I think when you kind of go from you know, five generations before to one of these, it is a holy world, Like everything just is so smooth and snappy. And the biggest difference that I have seen from the sixteen Regulars to the sixteen pros is the screen how fast? Because it's one hundred and twenty perks on the pros and it's still only sixty on the regulars. So there is a bit of screen discrepancy. But if you've never actually used one of the faster promotion displays, you're not going to realize it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, when I use my wife's phone, I like, you know, swipe and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, why is this so slow? It's like it literally looks to me like it's in slow motion. But again, she's a casual user. She doesn't even care, Like I'm like, don't you want the new phone? Don't you want the new watch? Don't you want the new And she's like, why what do I need? Like I don't And really sometimes it just comes down to color. All right, we've got it run. But I'm just curious. You know I said this earlier, but you know you've been covering this for a while. What keeps you going, Justine? What keeps you excited about this stuff? What keeps you energized? I know you work very very hard to keep all these things up to date for your followers.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, I think it's it really is fun for me.
Speaker 16: And I think taking these devices and going somewhere cool and kind of just really showing what they can do is what's so fun for me. And I like to use as an excuse to like go do fun stuff like oh it's a fine season, gotta go somewhere cool and make a review.
Speaker 1: I love that great, great outlook. Thanks so much for joining me today. I appreciate it.
Speaker 15: Yes, thank you, so great to chat with you.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: I Justine follow her on on YouTube obviously, but on all social media you can find her.
Speaker 3: It's pretty easy to find.
Speaker 1: Just start just type I into Google and it might be like I Justine an iPhone might come up.
Speaker 3: The first two things.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one coming up. I'll take more of your calls and I'll tell you which major airline is putting Starlink on board for super fast Wi Fi. And I've tried it and it's incredible. This is Rich on Tech Brian in Marietta, California.
Speaker 3: Brian, you're on with Rich Hey, how are you today? I am doing excellent. I hope you can hear it in my voice. What's up?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: That's a quick ones, A couple of quick questions.
Speaker 5: Actually, So, I know.
Speaker 12: You were talking about carriers this.
Speaker 5: Morning, and so like Verizon and you know, or Visible or Total.
Speaker 17: If I go with the cheap the other carriers other than Variegon he's all owned by Verizon doing peak, Are they gonna problem throw me back?
Speaker 5: Or you know I'm not going to get act.
Speaker 4: You know I'm gonna have problems getting.
Speaker 5: Onto the network today.
Speaker 4: Prioritize people who who pay for Veriding direct versus like Visible or Total.
Speaker 5: Wireless.
Speaker 1: It's interesting questions. So okay, number one. My My main response to this is that if you're doing any sort of job where you're truly relying on the speed and availability of a network anywhere you need to go with one of these high priced, you know, traditional plans, that is first party and it's through AT and T, it's through T Mobile, it's through Verizon. Because if your if your job or what you're doing relies on it, and you always need that priority, then yes, that's going to be the best possible way to get that priority. Because typically with the mv and os, there is a provision that says, yeah, we may slow you down when we need to, and that is in the provision of the plan that you're signing up for now. It's also in the provision of the major plans as well. But in general, the you know, if your Verizon, you're going to prioritize your your top customers first because they're the ones paying the premium plans. So with that said, I think that ninety nine point nine percent of people are fine on these mv and O plans because most of the time you just want to check Facebook, Instagram, whatever. Now, for me personally, I will tell you that in a lot of times, like I want to have the best access to the network because I'm uploading large videos. I'm downloading large videos and I just want to have that ability. So the cool thing is there's this new thing called Broadband Facts. It's kind of like nutrition facts, but for all of the cellular companies, anyone that provides internet in America has to now do this Broadband Facts label. It looks just like the nutrition facts on the side of you know, a piece of food or you know, some sort of food, but it's all about broadband. And so it'll tell you what the monthly price is, what the additional charges and fees are, any discounts, what the typical speeds are of that plan, the data that's included with your monthly plan. And then there's something called network management, and that's what you want. Click and you can go in and read how they will manage your network. So, for instance, I popped Mint's Network Management plan into my AI to summarize it, and it says Mint Mobile may slow down your data speeds in the following scenarios after reaching your plans high speed data allotment. So for the unlimited plan, this occurs after using forty gigs of five G or four G in your monthly period. Let's see during times of network congestion. Mint Mobiles network supplier may reduce speeds during periods of high network traffic, even if you haven't exceeded your high speed data allotment.
Speaker 3: So what does that mean.
Speaker 1: It means that basically they reserve the right to throttle your data speed no matter what.
Speaker 3: Now, does that happen every single day all over the place. Probably not.
Speaker 1: I test a lot of phones, I test a lot of networks, and quite honestly, I almost never have a problem anywhere. You might notice when you go to a football game there's a lot of people in the stadium. Sure, your Instagram story may take a little bit longer to go through if they're doing that, but in general, I think you could safely save the money and be okay.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I went to Visible's website and their network management policy is just redirected to Verizon, and so I asked to see what their policy is, and it says, after reaching your plans high speed data, we may slow down your data during times of network congestion. On certain plans, Verizon may prioritize your five G and four G data behind other traffic. If the cell site you're connected to experiences high demand during your session, your data speeds may be slower than other traffic. Once demand lessons or you connect to a different site not experiencing high demand, your speed should return to normal.
Speaker 3: So again, any of these.
Speaker 1: Carriers are going to reserve of the right to manage their network speed no matter what. And if you look at AT and T, they offer something called first Net, which is like for their first responders, and so that network is sort of prioritized above and beyond. I guess they're regular folks that are not on that you know, first responder network.
Speaker 3: So you know, look, there's a lot to.
Speaker 1: This, but I think in general, I think you're gonna be fine unless you are in some sort of role where you require unlimited access all the time and the fastest access all the time.
Speaker 3: Brian, thanks so much for the call. Do appreciate it. I say, save the money, you'll probably be okay.
Speaker 1: Speaking of super fast internet, United Airlines the first major airline to sign up with SpaceX Starlink. That means you are going to have super speedy in flight Wi Fi coming soon to United. Over one thousand aircraft they're gonna outfit with this Starlink Wi Fi. It's going to take a couple of years. It's not gonna be instant. And I'm old enough to remember when Wi Fi on planes was not a given, and I remember United was slowly rolling this out over all of their planes, and now they've got to go in and do it all over again with Starlink.
Speaker 3: But this is going to be much much better.
Speaker 1: It's going to be super super fast gate to gate connectivity, high speed, low latency internet. I've tested this on Hawaiian Airlines. They were the first. I guess you can't call them the major airline because they're not like an American or a Delta or United, but it's still a pretty big airline. But they have it and I tried it, and it is incredible. We're talking speed you have at home. The things you can do at home you can now do on that airplane from the second you get on board to the second you land. That includes live TV, streaming, social media, shopping, gaming. My kid this morning was like, you mean I could play roadblocks on our flights home to New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Now, I said, yeah.
Speaker 2: Soon.
Speaker 1: United is the first major carrier, like I said, and testing is going to begin in early twenty twenty five, with the first passenger flights expected later that year.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: This is the airline that I take home to Newark all the time, and I cannot wait to have Starlink because I do like to work on the plane. And now you don't have to download stuff in advance. It's gonna be incredible. Let's see what happens with the other airlines. Oh, by the way, did I mention they're offering it for free?
Speaker 3: Even better?
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one O one, rich on Tech dot TV more rich on Tech come your way right after this. What's going on? I'm rich Demiro and this is rich on Tech. Thanks for tuning in listening to the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions. The phone line for the show eight eight eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is rich on Tech TV. That's where you can send me an email. Just hit contact, or if you hit the light bulb BiCon, that will take you to the show wiki. This is show number eighty nine. You can tap that to see all of the guests, all of the links that I mention, and all of the information that I mentioned in the show Let's see mela in Whittier wrote in what is this high split? I've been hearing about Spectrum working on a high split. Do you have any clue what that's about? Yes, I do, good question. So this is a cable this is cable network. So the biggest difference between cable internet and fiber internet is that fiber internet typically has the same upload and download speed, So if you get a thousand down, you're usually getting a thousand up as well. Now with cable typically they have reserved fast download speeds, but the upload speed is a lot slower. And they did that for a reason. It helps them manage the network where they know most people are downloading stuff and streaming stuff, and not so many people are uploading stuff back to the network, unless you're someone like myself who's dealing with large video files or any sort of large file that you're constantly uploading back to the network. And so they created these cable networks where they advertise, oh, get three hundred down. That's three hundred megabits per second down or five hundred megabits per second down. But then if you look at the upspeeds, they're typically much slower and so they might be thirty megabit, thirty megabits per second up or twenty or ten, depending on what the download speed is. So typically the download speed is really fast, the upload speed is a lot slower.
Speaker 3: The high split.
Speaker 1: Means that they are now configuring this cable network to put a larger portion of that bandwidth for the traffic going back up to the network, so the upload traffic. That's what they've been doing in a lot of neighborhoods to compete with Fiber. I'm assuming because Fiber advertises, hey, we've got the same speed up and down. You get five hundred up, five hundred down, it's going to be super fast no matter what you're doing, and so that's been a marketing kind of differentiator for Fiber, and cable wants in on that. So they're saying, okay, let's do this high split where now we're giving people a very similar upload speed or a faster upload speed relative to their download speed.
Speaker 3: So hope that answers your question.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good thing because even with the download speeds, I mean, they're advertised heavily, but to be honest, unless you're doing something pretty wild with your internet connection, downloading big files all the time. You don't need the fastest download and upload speeds like even Netflix. If you're streaming, which is like ninety percent of what people are doing these days, you don't need that much speed. Netflix can work on a very slow Internet connection. That's part of the magic that makes streaming so great. You don't want buffering and all that stuff. But you know, a very typical connection these days will will work just fine. So if you're overpaying for your internet kind of take a look at that.
Speaker 3: You may not.
Speaker 1: Need that super super duper fast speed. Let's go to Patrick in Colorado Springs. Patrick, what's going on?
Speaker 17: Yes, thank you for taking my call. I'm coming off of thirteen years using an Apple Nano and I wanted to replace it because it's not working. And I'm wondering if you have a recommendation for a small unit that would have the two features that I need, which is FM radio and MP three player. I tried the one that Sony offers is called the E three ninety four, and I'm not happy with it. It has intermittent success with the feature that has automatically starts the next song, and so I don't want to have problems with that, But I'm looking at something between one hundred and two hundred bucks, maybe the highs to fifty. If you have a recommendation.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Well I don't have a recommendation. Off the top of my head. I have it's been a while since I used a product like this. It's very specific at this point, and I'm actually surprised that you had a problem because Sony is such high quality. What is the issue with this device? Because it looks exactly like what you need.
Speaker 17: It's a nice unit, is sixty nine dollars. It's called the E three ninety four. And when you have say twenty songs on there, and you play one and you're not touching it.
Speaker 3: When you finish that.
Speaker 17: Song, it automatically starts the next. But in this case, it doesn't work. It just sits there and pauses. I can push pause, So I said, they were very nice. We worked through it about two and a half hours on technical Sport. They sent me a new one and it did the same thing. Now it only does it about one out of ten times. It will automatically start the next song nine times and.
Speaker 12: Then it won't one.
Speaker 17: But if you're using it at night, like I am. It means getting up, putting on the lights, putting on your glasses, and then I will say that the controls are our cake and cumbersome compared to the Apple product.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, that's that's why Apple is a number one tech company in the world, because they've they've done pretty well with their software. Well look, my initial thought here is that the only other company, like the main brand that I know that does stuff like this is sand Disc. I don't know if you've heard of them, but you know, they've been around forever, and they did I mean, this was Actually it's funny because I think it was the Rio, but I had like basically, this was the MP three player that I was using before I switched to the iPod and before I switched to the iPhone. I've been a runner for a long time, so I can tell you over the years. I can't believe how many devices I have run with over the years before the iPhone and actually now it's just the Apple Watch, but it's or a smart watch in general.
Speaker 3: But it's pretty wild, like.
Speaker 1: The transition between like going from a tape player to a mini disc player. I think I had a CD player that I was running with at some point, which was rough because that was bouncy all the time, to to an iPod, to a nano, to a shuffle to a you know, an iPhone, and now of course the Apple Watch.
Speaker 3: But it's it's just wild anyway.
Speaker 1: The sand Disc, they've got a thing called the sand Disc Clip, and this is an MP three player plus. It does have an FM radio tuner built in as well, so it gives you everything you need. It's pretty inexpensive. You got sixteen gigs for fifty bucks, thirty two gigs for sixty dollars.
Speaker 3: But that is probably the one that I would recommend.
Speaker 1: Sand Disc Clip Sport Plus, and they have a couple of them, so I would just look on the sand Disc. Now, sand Disc got they're owned by Western Digital, but they've got a couple. They've got the sand Disc Clip, Jam MP three, the Sport Go and the Sport Plus.
Speaker 3: So the thing you want to make sure is.
Speaker 1: That they have the the FM tuners. So I'm going to compare these real quick and see which one has the FM tuner because I know the one I mentioned does, but I don't know if the other one.
Speaker 3: Does that the other Okay, let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, they all have the FM, so all three of them have the features that you want. So the sand disk clip, whether you go at the JAM, the Sport or the Sport Plus, they all have everything you need, which is an MP three player and the FM radio built into it, and you should be good to go. And I think, you know, obviously you're gonna have to test it out and see if it has the same issue that you had with your sony, but these are very inexpensive. I would buy it on Amazon so that you can return it if it doesn't work, and that should be exactly what you need. Now, if you don't want those, you can just go on Amazon and look up MP three FM player and there are a whole bunch of no name brands on there that may do exactly what you need. And in that case, when I'm looking for something on Amazon something like this, you're not going to find a lot of reviews online for or because they're just you know, no one's really reviewing these products at this point. But I personally would look for something that is prime, look at the reviews, make sure it has at least four maybe four and a half stars. You can look at Amazon's picks. They typically will tell you if an item is returned a lot, So click through and see if it says this item is commonly returned, and if it says that, stay away. Because Amazon has the data on these products, it looks good. They sell them on there and then people get them for a week and they return them. So I would look for one that has high ratings, maybe best seller overall, pick is prime and does not say that it's returned often. All right, Patrick and Colorado Springs, thanks so much for the call today. I do appreciate it. Sony has a new PlayStation five pro ps five pro. This is going to launch on November seventh. Can you believe this price tag?
Speaker 3: You ready?
Speaker 1: Six hundred and ninety nine dollars ninety nine cents, even more expensive than the PlayStation five. So I am curious how this is going to do. This is for really, I guess dedicated gamers seven hundred bucks. It's got a two terabyte solid state drive, It's got the Dual Sense wireless controller. It has Wi Fi seven, which I don't think the PlayStation five has, so that's gonna be nice. But the problem is who has Wi Fi seven in their house? Not many people now, of course, they're going to tell you that it is better and faster than the current PlayStation five and better at doing the ray tracing, which is all the buzzword in the gaming community. Ray tracing is sort of like what shadows and things look like when they're rendered and reflections on the screen. The higher the better the ray tracing, the more realistic things look like. If you're walking down a street and the sun is shining from the right, you'll see that nice shadow on the left of you, and it's refreshed and made to look very good when it's when the ray tracing.
Speaker 3: Is at a higher uh just a higher caliber.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Anyway. Pre Orders open on September twenty sixth.
Speaker 1: The thing to know about the PlayStation five Pro is that even though it is more expensive, it and the visuals are supposed to look better. There's no disc, so no physical drive. You have to pay extra to add that on to this device. So there you have it. PlayStation five Pro coming out November seventh, seven hundred dollars. This is not the new PlayStation. This is not the next generation PlayStation. This is sort of a stop gap until Sony comes out with something brand new. Whether that's I don't follow the rumors on that, but that may be a couple of years out. Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 3: My name is Rich Dmiro. This is rich on.
Speaker 1: Tech, the website for the show richon Tech dot tv.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 1: Have you ever wanted to listen to things from Burt Reynolds or Judy Garland or maybe James Dean. They can read stuff to you. I will tell tell you how with a free.
Speaker 3: App coming up next.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The phone line is eighty to eight rich one oh one. I told you that you can have celebrity voices read your articles to you. This is through the eleven Labs Reader app. This is a free app. I've talked about it on the show before. Eleven Labs is sort of the leader in AI voices and they have a great app that is free.
Speaker 3: And it can read you anything.
Speaker 1: So you can pop in an article or a book or a PDF and it will read it to you.
Speaker 3: Now, it's not perfect.
Speaker 1: If you pop in an article from the Internet, it will read all kind of like the it will read everything that's on the screen. So it's not perfect, doesn't like extract everything like a speech of five mite like, it doesn't do as good of a job. But it's free and it's pretty good. The voices are incredible. So they have a whole bunch of voices you can choose from to read you your articles, your books and text. But you can now choose celebrity voices. Depak Chopra, Sir Lawrence Olivier, James Dean, Burt Reynolds and Judy Garland. All of these voices can read to you now. So if you long for the days of James Dean or Burt Reynolds or Judy Garland reading to you, you can do that. Or if you want dpak to read to you, you can do it. Sir Laurence Olivier, have them read to you. You can put in text, weblinks, PDFs and e pubs and it's pretty incredible. And again it's all free. So it's called eleven Labs Reader, eleven Labs Reader, and it's available for iOS and Android. I will put the links on my website. Rich on tech dot Tv hit the light bulb, but eleven Labs Reader if you don't have it on your phone, It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I use it when I'm at the gym to catch up on articles that I am have been meaning to read. It's a much easier to have someone to read them to you. Let's go to Linda in Glendale. Linda, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 18: Hi, Rich, thank you for taking my call. How do I remove personal information from Google? Such as my past and currents addresses, phone numbers, and names of relatives and court cases?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I mentioned this earlier, but it's a feature on Google called Google Results about You. So it's a weird name. I don't know why they call it that, but that's what they call it. But basically, if you type Google Results about You into Google, the first couple of results, actually this looks like the sixth result on Google is my article for KTLA back in August of twenty twenty three, I first talked about this. But the thing is, you sign up. You already have a Google account. You sign up, you tell it the information that you want it to look for, and once you do, it will put its little feelers out on the web, and when it finds that information on a website, it will alert you. So, for instance, it found my information on a website called unmasked dot com. And the information that was in there was I don't know, it looks like my address and my name, and so you can tell Google, hey, I want this information taken out of Google searches. Now, that information is only removed from Google Search itself. That means that ninety percent of people when they're searching for you, they're just gonna pop your name into Google and these are the results that come up. That result will no longer be shown. It does not remove it from the original company. So if you want to remove it from the original company, you either have to do it yourself, which you can go to these websites.
Speaker 3: So if you if you go to a website, let's.
Speaker 1: Say for this unmasked dot com, right, so you can type in unmasked and say, uh, take down request. So if you type that in, you'll get information on how to opt out of that website. And the website that comes up is opty dot com how to opt out of unmask And you can do this for all the different websites and so, or you can subscribe to a service. There's a lot of these services like delete me and many many others out there that will. You can pay them a couple bucks a month and they will. They will remove your information from these services, or at least attempt to. It's not the fastest process in the world. You can do it by yourself, and I probably recommend doing that. So what I would do personally, Linda, is that I would go on Google whatever you're worried about, search for that information, and whatever website comes up, whether it's people results finder dot Com or true people Search, check People or whatever it is, and then just say opt out and you can fill out that opt out form. And it takes a while sometimes and they kind of throw you through some hoops to do it, but once you do that, they will say, okay, fine, we'll take your information out of there now. If you live in California, there's also another way you can opt out of these things because we have some specialized laws in California. Not many people use it, but there is a privacy kind of law in California that allows you to opt out of this stuff quicker. I don't have the instructions on how to do that right now, but I will post them as a link on the show notes. But that's another option. If you live in California, which you do anyway. Yeah, this stuff is a mess. It's all over and if you want to clean up your stuff, you can also hire a professional that does this for a living.
Speaker 3: There are people out there that will do that.
Speaker 1: I've done stories with them, and it's a big business, especially for like celebrities and things, and also reputation management. If you have an article out there that you don't necessarily like about yourself, people want to get that off Google too.
Speaker 3: That's a little bit trickier. All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we are going to talk to John from jen K Grown Up about eighties nostalgia. Fun topic coming up, rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. I know we had some questions about removing data from Google. I have updated the show notes and if you're in California, I put the specific California opt out information there from Consumerwatchdog dot org. They just came out with a report that says less than one percent of Californians exercise their privacy rights with data brokers. So they've got a lot of good information about how to remove your data from various websites, not just Google. So definitely check that out Rich on tech dot tv. Once you get there, hit the light bulb icon and that'll bring you the wiki. Check show number eighty nine for the show notes.
Speaker 3: Joining me now is.
Speaker 1: YouTube creator John Reddick. He runs a YouTube channel called jen x Grown Up, which explores eighties nostalgia, retro gaming, and all these old brands that are coming back again.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Hey, Rich, this is It's always a good day to talk about nostalgic tech and games.
Speaker 3: So great to be here. Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's so wild because I don't know why we are all so nostalgic for things, And I mean, you've created a whole channel based on it. So tell me about your YouTube channel, what you sort of cover on there. I kind of mentioned it, but I want to hear your take.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, I mean, look, I have a kid of the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 3: I was born in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 14: I grew up in the origin of a lot of I lived through the transition from vinyl.
Speaker 3: To cassettes to CDs and all that.
Speaker 14: And video gaming didn't exist when I was born, and I grew up and so I love that stuff, and so I'm inundated. You know, I used to work in broadcasting many lives ago, and you know, I had a chance to create my own stuff. So, you know, on gen X Grown Up on the YouTube channel, I cover all sorts of nostalgic you know, gaming and technology and new modern consoles that come out and throwback stuff, and you know, we host a weekly audio podcast every Thursday.
Speaker 5: I co host nineteen Eighties now every Monday, and.
Speaker 14: Anytime I get a chance to talk about this stuff that I love growing up, the nostalgic stuff.
Speaker 3: As you said, Uh, that's where I do it, and that's my outlet.
Speaker 1: I love that title, by the way, nineteen eighties now, that's like so like it's such a great title.
Speaker 3: So how do you define nostalgia?
Speaker 14: I mean, I think every generation has a nostalgia for what what what was new to them, what they enjoyed when they were kids.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 14: I people say, kind of it's a desire to go back to a simpler time. But even if the times weren't that much simpler, our lives were simpler, you know when we were you know, in our in our teens, and we didn't yet have jobs and families and mortgages and cars and you know, a roof to.
Speaker 5: Fix and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 14: And so I think that it colors the things we enjoyed at that age because we had no other worries at the time other than you know, who am I going to ask to the prom? And am I going to get my allowance this week? You know, those sorts of things, and it's so much simpler. And I think as we get older and things get more complicated and more complex, it's fun to go back and there's some endorphit. I think that kicks off when you can go back and remember that thing from a time when you had an easier or more carefree life.
Speaker 1: And of course these companies want to tap into it. So like, for instance, we had some pizza Hut last night and I was cracking up because if you look at their logo, they've gone back to like their old school logo. And when I held these pizza boxes, I'm sitting there, I'm like, I just it just warms something in your heart, right that, like, this is what I had as a kid, and now I'm having it here as an adult with a mortgage and with things and kids.
Speaker 3: And other stuff.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've seen some places that pizza have they bring back the stained glass lamps and the red cups, all the things that made pizza hut magic.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I am. I am.
Speaker 1: So there's actually a list of the old school pizza huts that are still around that where you can go in and eat there. I want to bring my kids to that, but I haven't found a location that's close by. But I really want to do that because I didn't appreciate it back.
Speaker 3: Then, but now I do. Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: So what's popular with your with your viewers? Like what I mean, gaming obviously is kind of probably top. So is that pretty much tops right now?
Speaker 5: Well, certainly.
Speaker 14: I mean on my YouTube channel, I predominantly cover gaming. It's just kind of what I've the niche kind of fallen into. Even though I enjoy all things nostalgia, you know, tech and pop culture. But I mean anything Atari is of interest. You know, Tari as a company is kind of emblematic of nostalgic gaming certainly. You know, they were one of the originators of both arcade and then home gaming, and they've had quite a resurgence in the last couple of years. Ever, since Wade Rosen took over as the CEO, and he's really trying to drive that company, you know, out of obscurity and back into the its rightful place. All these mini consoles and many computers like the Little Commodore and the Little Atari eight bit, the ZX Spectrum that just got announced. I think it's just goes back to that nostalgia we were just talking about. People love a chance to sample that stuff or remember it if they if they already know it.
Speaker 7: And all the little plug and.
Speaker 14: Play toys that you know, they oh, there's twenty games, you're plug in your TV.
Speaker 7: It's not quite right, but it's right enough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 14: Those are sort of things that are really they've had They've always been around a bit. They've had quite a resurgence and a push in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we've We've had a couple of those over the years.
Speaker 3: Also, like the NYS Classic that came out.
Speaker 1: So what what So when when you talk about these games, are you talking do they come out with new games for this or's always like old games that are just sort of new again.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 14: It's both and Atari, especially who I just mentioned, they're doing some amaze. Like just the last week, two weeks ago, they announced the Atari seventy eight hundred Plus, which is a throwback to the seventy eight hundred from the I guess late eighties. I think came out eighty nine or something like that anyway, But in addition to re releasing some older games on physical media, which is what these consoles do, these plus consoles, since they recently purchased Atari Age, which is a forum and community for Atari fans, they have embraced the homebrew developers. I just had a chance to speak with Bob de Grezenzo, who's a long time homebrew developer, and they embraced him. They took some of his homebrew games that he wrote, and you asked, but older, newer games. These are games he's written the last two or three years. And they're making the legitimate. They're making the part of the Atari library. Now it's not just a hobbyist who wrote something and had a cartridge built. So many of the plug and plays are compilations, as you said, of stuff that's been around for thirty forty years. But Atari is doing a lot to breathe new life into these consoles with titles that are written by enthusiasts and now becoming legitimized as part of the game library of Atari.
Speaker 3: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: So the reason why I found you was because I was doing a story on sort of retro gaming. Visited a store in the LA area called retro Respawn, which is like, you know, these people go in there and they buy, sell, and trade old games, and it was just wild to see that kind of community. And he was telling me Pokemon is really hot. Obviously Mario is always hot, but it's wild to go into this store where you have physical cartridges, you have games that haven't end.
Speaker 3: It's like almost like a mini.
Speaker 1: Movie compared to today's games like a Fortnite or a you know what's the other one that all the kids like roadblocks, like these games never end. Back when we played games, or I guess you still do, you know, they had a beginning of middle and an end. It was a storyline and now it's just open ended forever.
Speaker 14: Right, Or it was designed to kill you in about three minutes like an arcade game, get another quartery out of your pocket.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 14: It was either a story that had beguinea midle end, as you said, or it was something that was fast action and twitch and how far can you get? What high score can you get? Wait a second, you know you just high scores. You just made me realize something that we have been getting played by these games for many years, because nowadays, like the kids are asking their parents for these little InApp purchases, right, ninety nine cents here, a dollar there.
Speaker 1: But now I think about it, Yeah, the whole point was to get those quarters out of your pocket into the game when you.
Speaker 3: Were a kid.
Speaker 14: That was the metric for old arcade games. Try to get your quarter and kill you in three minutes because that was how long it would take before to make money. Get another quarter every three or four minutes was the goal. So better you got, the worse it was for the owner of that machine.
Speaker 1: And I guess there's probably some rev share too with the you know, the pizza place that had the machine in there, right right? What are your favorite games? What are you into these days?
Speaker 14: So look, I still play old stuff. I go back and play old Atari twenty six hundred titles regularly today. I'm also really enjoying some of the reimagined games, and I keep mentioning Atari, but they're doing so much in the space right now they are doing these recharged games where they take a classic game like Breakout or Missile Command or Asteroids or Centipede, and they're reimagining it with a techno soundtrack and power ups and things like that. They just came out with a new one called Yars Rising, which was actually a kind of a metroid Vania exploration, power up your character sort of thing, nothing like the original Yars Revenge that Howard Scott Warshaw wrote decades ago, but in that universe. I like how especially Atari and some other companies are starting to do this, are exploring their library and not just regurgitating the same games, but iterating upon them and expanding the lore or the story or the gameplay in ways that makes sense to modern gamers, but still try to appeal to the older guys like us who sorry, older guys like me, I won't group you with.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I don't know here, you're putting me in a big grout home.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, we can enjoy it too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: John Reddick from gen X Grown Up, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it one hundred percent. Thank you for having me. It's been great, all right, find his YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: If you're a nostalgic for a simpler time or simpler games, check it out on YouTube. Jen X grown up. All right, coming up, it is the feedbag. Plus I'm gonna tell you why weaimo's expanding, how much data we used in twenty twenty three, and what YouTube is doing to squeeze some more money out of you. That's all coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Closing out the show, a couple of news items before we get to the feedbag. Johnny B in Sunny San Diego sent a note that said TurboTax is discontinuing its CD format for its desktop software. TurboTax desktop products will only be available via download from tax here twenty twenty four and on. The CD format is discontinued. You could download products from retailers. I guess you could buy like the download there and TurboTax dot com. It will still have a license code in installation instructions. The software functionality will remain unchanged. The download products will be available in early November, and again this only affects TurboTax desktop customers. If you're using TurboTax dot com that's a little bit different. But this is if you bought the box at the store like a Staples or office depot and did your taxes that way.
Speaker 3: Thanks Johnny B.
Speaker 1: Waimo and Uber are teaming up and expanding their partnership. They are gonna start driving in Austin and Atlanta. So basically Uber is gonna supply these fully autonomous, all electric self driving cars, and Uber is going to supply the app. Reabook them service is going to start in twenty twenty five, and Waimo one currently provides over one hundred thousand trips weekly in their three cities, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. I know, I see them on the streets of Los Angeles and every time I see one, seeing that car driving by itself with no one in the driver's seat always throws me for a loop. But people seem to like them right now. They don't drive on freeways, that's the limitation. Apparently, Americans using a record number of a record number of data wireless data in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Wireless data, according.
Speaker 1: To the CTIA, that's the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association, the big trade group that represents you know, Verizon, T Mobile, AT and T all the rest. Wireless data usage reached over one hundred trillion megabytes in twenty twenty three, thirty six percent increase from twenty twenty two. Five G devices are now about forty percent of all wireless devices, up from thirty four percent in twenty twenty two. Total wireless connections in the US five hundred and fifty eight million. That's more than one point six per American. That makes a lot of sense because it's not just cell phones. They are building Internet connections into everything, tablets, watches, cars, pretty much anything you can think of your coffee mug. Just kidding, but they might. Let's see, total cell sites four hundred and thirty two, four hundred and sixty nine, twenty four percent more since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: So they continue to build those.
Speaker 1: And Americans exchange over two point one trillion text messages in twenty twenty three. Keep in mind that does not include I message. That's Apple's own thing. It doesn't get registered through this. Voice calls two point four trillion minutes in twenty twenty three. That's actually down just slightly. Probably makes a lot of sense. We talk on the phone less, we text more and finally YouTube introducing pause as so, if you're on YouTube on your TV, you pause the video and you see an AD. Yes, that is the new trend. We've seen all of these services do it. YouTube is the new one. It squeezes more money out of us because we're pausing. Why not just have an AD on the screen while we're pausing. There's typically a little ad on the right. The video kind of goes to the left. You see an AD on the right with a QR code that you can scan for more information. That was spotted by our pal Bensheon of nine to five Google. So when you pause, pretty much when you pause any of these services, now you're gonna see ads. Now time for the feedbag. This is where your feedback meets the mailbag. These are the emails the comments of the questions, straight from you. If you want to chime in, go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact pat rights in practical timely tech updates are essential as changes accelerate. Rich provides very useful reviews and perspectives. Good job, Sylvia writes in thank you Rich for your research and insights into the tech world. Your hard work is truly appreciated by everyone. By the way, these are all for my newsletter subscribers. That's why they're so so nice. A listener in their seventies writes in I'm not tech savvy and I rely on your expertise. Thanks for explaining the ins and outs of our phones and computers to all of us. Susan writes in love your show on ninety two nine super Talk WFHG. Been listening for about two years. Always interesting and helpful. I love how patient you are with callers Android tips. Fran says Rich, I've used so many of your Android phone tips I had to subscribe.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Cynthia writes in thank you, Rich, I appreciate you're doing what Apples should be doing.
Speaker 3: First customers take care.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny you say that, because Apple's gonna one up me very soon on the new iOS eighteen. On the iPhone, you can now ask for help with your iPhone. It's got all of the support documents built into Siri now, so you can say, hey, how do I turn off that feature on my text messages, or how do I change the ringer, or how do I do that? And we'll give you all those step by step instructions without you having to look it up, so I may be going by the wayside.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think there will always be a place for a live human that can take all this information and help you understand it and really serve as an editor as well, because there is so much stuff that crosses the wires, so to say, on a daily basis, it's like, how do you know what to trust, what to think about, what to care about? That's really my job. Bill r writes in, I especially appreciate your newsletter because I'm over seventy and you keep the info at my level of understanding.
Speaker 3: That's my goal.
Speaker 1: My goal is always to keep things simple because again, yeah, you can look up articles on the web until your eyes bleed out of your head, but unless you have someone explaining, like what is that?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It's it.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm here.
Speaker 1: Nurse Loose Cindy writes in, you have good information, good and useful information for us non tech people.
Speaker 3: That is the whole goal of this show.
Speaker 1: You know, when I started this show, things were a little different because I wanted to make it approachable by everyone and not just techies. That's the secret of this show. It's not just for techies. You can listen and pick up a few things. You may not understand everything I'm referencing or talking about, but you can still benefit from the stuff that I talk about because I try to make it understandable for everyone. And finally, no name, but love your KFI show and have benefited from it and your newsletter every single time. I want to support you and help you continue sharing with all of us, and that is probably one of the paid subscribers. I do offer a paid newsletter. It's the same newsletter that you get that if you don't pay, but if you pay, you basically just get a warm heart knowing that you're supporting the newsletter and the time it takes me to write that. So thank you so much for doing that. There are about thirty two thousand of you that are getting the newsletter, so I do appreciate that that's not thirty two thousand paid.
Speaker 3: Believe me, that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: If you can believe it. That's going to wrap up this episode. For links to everything I mentioned today, just go to Richontech dot tv. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. Can also sign up for the newsletter at the website. I truly appreciate you tuning in. There are so many ways to spend your time. I'm honored you choose to spend it with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Adam in today for Bobo, Kim on phones, and most of all you.
Speaker 3: This is richdmiro signing off. Until next time, Stay text savvy