Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan Edge Dan Patrick Show. Morale is high once again. Todd would like to be referred to as Mary Fritz Smiths.
Speaker 3: Too much trouble.
Speaker 2: It's not Mary fritzmis. You don't even celebrate Christmas.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 5: Actually, growing up.
Speaker 3: We had like a fake fireplace in our part with like a little red light bulb where it looked like a fake fire. We had stockings and matchbox cars and McDonald's gift certificates in our stockings.
Speaker 6: We did a lot.
Speaker 3: We played Perry Como music. We watched all the Christmas carsons. We did probably more Christmas things.
Speaker 6: Than a honk to think about it. Those matchbox cars, they're awesome.
Speaker 3: And hot wheels was all great.
Speaker 2: Hot wheels they were great. They were so cool. I kept thinking, when is somebody going to take those hot wheels and make actual cars that look like the hot wheels? And it took a while, but you know, some of these car manufacturers did try to emulate that because a lot of times what happens when you're growing up you see a car, but you can't afford it, and then as you get older and you can't afford it, then you might buy a Transam or a Corvette or a Portie. But when you're growing up, you can't. There's so many great cars that you see and you're like, I want that, And I remember, you know a friend of mine wanted a Lincoln Continental Mark three that had the tire encasement in the bag. And he wanted a late blue Lincoln Continental Mark three. And then I see him like twenty five years later and he's driving it, and I'm going, oh, be damn, you got your Lincoln Continental Mark three.
Speaker 6: You're yes, Marvid, what.
Speaker 4: Do you want to be?
Speaker 7: When he grew up, there's only a couple occupations that goes that car.
Speaker 2: So all right, it's an hour or two on this Thursday. Chris Collinsworth will join us on loan from Sunday Night Football. The Pennick's Cousins promotion benching. That was a big deal yesterday and Kirk Cousins handled it just like you thought he would. He'd be like, all right, I'm there to help him and Michael Pennix Junior with three games to go. I'm not going to say it's a soft landing because it's still playing against an NFL team, but a home game against the Giants certainly helps. Now, if he doesn't play well against the Giants at home, that's when and I think this is fluid. I don't think this is Michael Pennix is our starter the rest of the year. And I might be in the minority here because it felt like a lot of analysts said, oh, they're not going to go back to Kirk.
Speaker 6: They are.
Speaker 2: They will if they need to because you can still win this division. This isn't the Raiders or the Giants some of these other teams. They have a chance to win the division and host a playoff game. You got football coming up tonight, the Broncos at the Chargers. The Chargers are favored by three.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panini America. We'll get phone calls coming up. And at the end of the last hour, I'm walking by Pauli and PAULI goes, if Christian McCaffrey's career ended, now it see a Hall of Famer, And I thought, okay, random, and then I realized that PAULI probably wanted to revisit Tiki Barber's numbers with the JUNT.
Speaker 6: I think Tiki Barber's a Hall of Fame running back. You're in the minority, yes I am.
Speaker 2: But if I'm going to compare his numbers to Christian McCaffrey, I don't think it's close. Now, McCaffrey had three incredible years. But let's look at career rushing yards sixty three hundred almost sixty four hundred yards for Christian McCaffrey, Teeki Barber ten thousand career receptions, five point twenty four for McCaffrey, five eighty six for Tiki. Now he played two more seasons. I think he played ten McCaffrey's at eight fifteen hundred yard rushing seasons McCaffrey zero. Tiki had three two thousand yards from scrimmage. Tiki had three seasons, Christian McCaffrey had two.
Speaker 8: Yes, point, I'm not saying McCaffrey's going to quit the sport, but you could see with this degenitive type stuff, he has a future in the media possibly or something like that. Would he get credit if his career ended early due to injury.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a Terrell Davis type situation because he did win a couple of Super Bowls, was instrumental two thousand yards rushing. I still go back to Ricky Waters. I thought Ricky Waters, he was kind of there with Roger Craig. You know, they started this whole hybrid where Marshall Falk. I think those guys just felt like they were going to run. And Ricky Waters had ten thousand yards rushing and he had four hundred and sixty seven catches. Fred Taylor had eleven thousand rushing yards, didn't have a lot of catches. But you know, the running back is tricky because now it feels like you're grading them differently than you did before the receptions that's paramount. Now you're looking at yards from scrimmage. And I think that maybe where voters go because it's really hard to differentiate between, you know, somebody who's doing something now as opposed to the way they did it in the seventies or the eighties. And I always thought you got to ten thousand yards, you're a Hall of Famer. I don't know that's not the case anymore, because Tiki's got that, Fred Taylor's got that.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you're gonna you know.
Speaker 2: So Tiki, Ricky and Fred Taylor they all have over ten thousand yards.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, you mentioned Ladanian Tomlinson being underrated in eleven seasons. Thirteen thousand, six hundred and eighty four rushing yards, you're going in the Hall of Fame right there. He also had six hundred and twenty four.
Speaker 2: Receptions, and I was looking at his numbers. He's second in career touchdowns to Emmett. I think he's got like one hundred and fifty touchdowns, maybe one hundred and sixty. He had one hundred and forty five rushing touchdowns, so I mean you're at one hundred and sixty touchdowns. But he kind of did it where you know, you thought of the Chargers and you're like, oh, okay, they're going to lose in the first round of the playoffs.
Speaker 6: That's one of those.
Speaker 2: If he goes to the Super Bowl, plays well in the Super Bowl, then it elevates his status there. And it's blasphemous to say, like, let me compare Ladanian Tomlinson to Emmett Smith. They were different running backs. Emmett was just going to get the ball and get you yards. I don't know how many catches that he had in his career, but he three hundred catches. Maybe Ladanian Tomlinson feels like a more complete back than Emmett Smith. Although if I have to get a yard, Emmitt Smith on the short list of running backs that I wanted.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul Emma Smith had five hundred career receptions, but it was you know, he had a bunch of years where he caught fifty and sixty balls in his prime.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Four best rushing seasons for Christian McCaffrey, he had a total of five thousand yards. Tiki's four best rushing seasons. I mean he had eighteen hundred, sixteen hundred, fifteen hundred, thirteen hundred. That's sixty four hundred yards. But here's part of the problem is he had the fumbling issues and also they win the Super Bowl the year after he retires, and that hurt him. But is McCaffrey a Hall of Famer right now?
Speaker 6: No, he's not.
Speaker 2: No, he he feels like a Hall of famer, just the numbers aren't there. We'll talk to Chris Collinsworth about that. And by the way, he's not going to retire at least, I don't think. I still think he's trying to play. Just throwing that out there, all right. A couple of phone calls Luke and Charlotte. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hi guys, thanks for taking my call. I had to fill in the blank and you can either play or I'll just give it to you. Only blank is worse than losing to Craft in Bird States.
Speaker 6: Marvin, did you want to play Nobody you? Wow? Or Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 2: Dougie Fresh at a press conference where he was talking about they needed to schedule up, they need to have better I guess games opponents. They've only won two games, and then they were playing Michigan Tech and they're a Division two school, and I think people thought that he was referring to them as nobody You. Well, they lost to Michigan Tech and they lost by two I think at home, and I think Doug wasn't on his radio show on Fox Sports, and people wondered after the game, why aren't you on during your national radio show? But yes, that's a nobody university. Doug hasn't had a good week. Chefty called him out after Doug called him out over Sacramento State of all places in their NIL funds, which I think Doug was probably right about this, that did Sacramento State have fifty million dollars in NIL money? Maybe down the road, maybe they have pledges for that. But I don't know why Doug got caught up in Sacramento State and calling out Adam Schefter, and then Schefter tweets out Wisconsin green Bay's standings where they are in the Horizon League with two wins. It's like, Doug, get off the internet and get back in the gym.
Speaker 8: Yes, I was watching the ESPN scroll during Sports Center after the Bowl game last night, and on the scroll which includes like North Carolina beats whoever big college basketball games, men's college basketball, Gottlieb Green Bay lose to Division two Michigan Tech. A straight loss for Gottlieb's Green Bay team. That was on the ESPN scroll of news last night.
Speaker 2: How many coaches names are attached to their team on the scroll zero generally. I mean, that's definitely a shot to you know, for Schefty, that's a jab from ESPN. For Doug, that's not right journalistically, that's not right. Got I mean, it's it's a good shot Yeah, yes, Todd.
Speaker 3: Unless it's some type of milestone win there there should be no reason to possibly put the coach's name next to the result.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't like if Tom Izzo wins his one thousandth game. Okay, Doug lost to Michigan Tech like Gottlieb and Wisconsin Green Bay loot.
Speaker 6: Like, that's not fair to Doug. That made the bottom line.
Speaker 2: Come on, mothership, Schefty can take care of himself.
Speaker 6: He doesn't need you. Dang, here's one for you.
Speaker 2: David Montgomery's preseason prop bet for rushing yards was seven hundred and seventy five and a half. David Montgomery season is over. He has seven hundred and seventy five rushing.
Speaker 10: Gar Steat of the day, the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Here comes that?
Speaker 6: What stat of the day?
Speaker 2: Dang, that's a bad beat, Like, you got seven seventy five. You got three games to go. Man, I'm gonna wait. He's limping. Wait he's leaving the game. Wait he's out for the year.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, can you go back to all the plays where the ball was spotted the challenge Eddy half Y had somewhere you could pick up.
Speaker 6: I need a yard, I need a yard.
Speaker 11: One.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know how much money you had to. I mean, if you're that much of a degenerate and you go, hey, you know I'm loading up on David Montgomery seven hundred and seventy five yards? Yeah, what are you putting down? A couple of dimes? Now you go back and ask somebody to NFL film.
Speaker 6: Say, can you can you squeeze out one yard? I'll give you.
Speaker 2: I'll give you five hundred dollars. Let me see what do we have here, Steve and Huntington Beach. Hey, Steve, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey? Morning? Damn you and the boys taking time caller a long time listener five nine seventy And.
Speaker 6: You're not related to Gus in La are you, Steve?
Speaker 11: No, sir, But Gus is the homie.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 11: I just gotta fight the faith bet for Mary Fristmas over there for tonight's game and any other Dannet that wants to get in.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, let me let me hear your proposal.
Speaker 11: Uh, Mary Fritzmas, would you like to get in on a plight of the face bet Chargers over the Broncos And we're going to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So straight up that who's going to win tonight's game?
Speaker 11: Right up, straight up, but a little caveat. You gotta wear the Justin Herbert football is Fun shirt as well.
Speaker 3: I will look for that. I know I have it somewhere in my closets I probably can't squeeze into. Hopefully I won't come to that, but I will take you up on that. I have to go all in and believe.
Speaker 2: My let's ruy, let's right, let's ride all right, Steve, you got a bed us tomorrow pie to the phase question mark.
Speaker 8: We we have any of those extra shirts around here?
Speaker 3: Something took and find I'll.
Speaker 2: See if, I'll see if the backroom guys. Oh, by the way, I just heard from tyrak tireraq dot com just said, hey, are you handing out most valuable Dane and most valuable backroom guy?
Speaker 6: And I said, well, I forgot all about he goes.
Speaker 2: Give away a set of tires to the most valuable Dant and the most valuable backroom guy and you can vote on this and we'll have the results tomorrow at the end of the show. So tireraqt just said, hey, Christmas Spirit, you guys have been great and uh, you go to Danpatrick dot com and vote on Now you're not gonna know, maybe the brgs, but you can vote on the Danets. But it'll be funny just to have the names of the backroom guys on there.
Speaker 12: Of a sudden, this contest got a lot more serious than years past. There's uh set of tires on the line here.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 12: Last year, it's like, I don't really care if I'm wan know whoa whoa whoa Wait, hold up, we got tires.
Speaker 6: Now, set of tires. Hold up?
Speaker 2: And I'm not handing out the least valuable Danet this year?
Speaker 6: Oh why? Because it's always toied.
Speaker 3: I definitely get the least and then it's just a matter of whether I would.
Speaker 12: Get both Yes, And you've gotten both yes in the same year. Yes, you've been the least valuable.
Speaker 3: It's a wild thing to bilitar.
Speaker 5: So you did that.
Speaker 6: It's like being coach of the Year and being fired.
Speaker 2: You know, did that happen to George carl I gave his Coach of the year Dwayne Casey, Nick Nurse. They got Coach of the year and you've been fired. Okay, So you can vote on this and the winner gets his set of tires from Tire Wreck, Yes, pauling.
Speaker 8: I wish I knew this in January. I would have tried a lot harder this year. I didn't tell I would have give it some effort.
Speaker 2: I just tire Reck just you know, Dan from Tireract just said, hey, let's spice this up a little bit. I forgot about you know, most valuable Dan in. I truly forgot about it. But we've salvaged it. You have today and tomorrow to vote on the back room and most valuable Dan.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: If it's a tie, does each person get two tires?
Speaker 6: Just saying the offering question, Yeah, okay, sure you can decide. Do I want front tire?
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, I'm supposed to kind of replace all the tires at once, so that's not much of a gift.
Speaker 6: Too tires. It throws everything off with the alignment. I know, we're just we're just joking.
Speaker 3: Then you've got to be generous and do too soon.
Speaker 2: You don't even need to worry about it. I just don't want to wear a foot Forward's fun shirt tomorrow like Todd's worried about. I get too tired. You're you're not winning, Tom, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: I don't even take my copper car warks.
Speaker 2: How about we take a break. Chris collins Worth will join us. We're back after this in the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 2: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 6: I mean that says something.
Speaker 13: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio maybe the.
Speaker 6: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search will be known Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 6: That's Cavino and.
Speaker 2: Rich waiting for Chris Collinsworth Sunday Night Football analyst to join us. He'll be on the call with Mike Turco. That'll be the Bucks and the Cowboys kick off at eight twenty Eastern on Sunday. NBC and Peacock also have the Texans and the Chiefs. That'll be Saturday at one Eastern with a Noah Ego and Todd Blackledge. So we'll wait for Chris to join us here, Tom and Rhode Island. In the meantime, Hi, Tom, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 14: I wanted to talk about some of the things you were talking about yesterday. With the ratings in the NBA. I think he cannot be underestimated to the agree to which politics enters. And the example I want to give is the guy I'm getting tired of is Popovich down in san Antonio, and I think even unprovoked, he goes off on who he supports. And I think the NBA is taking the wrong side of this. It's pretty evident where they stand politically, and it goes back to Michael Jordan's statement against by sneakers too. And until they get rid of Adam Silver, who has clearly taken the other side of the political aisle, I think they're going to have problems. And it also if I could get one other shot in at Popovich is not even a relevant voice anymore, and Steve Kerr is in the same category. Two priminent coaches that I think unprovoked at talking politics.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let me and thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 6: Go back to Collin.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, when you had.
Speaker 2: Colin Kaepernick, the political venom that was available then towards the NFL and nobody's gonna watch and nobody's going to go to games?
Speaker 6: Where did that go?
Speaker 2: So there's been push from both sides here in sports, and now it's a valid point. You can be turned off by Steve Kerr and Greg Popovich, but NFL owners and they were pushing back in a different direction with Colin Kaepernick.
Speaker 12: Yes, I'm guessing that Tom would be perfectly okay if another coach came out and support of the side.
Speaker 6: That he would be.
Speaker 12: It's no different than people like Taylor Swift should shut up, but I love when Kid Rock speaks his mind. It's the exact same thing. The hypocrisy of it. It happens constantly. Yeah, on both sides. Absolutely, yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: True without picking sides. Anytime any league leans a certain way, you are in danger of aliening half of your audience, whether you agree or disagree with that side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NFL was too woke, right, nobody left, they're watching. It's just the NBA is down and people are gonna kick them when they're down. Let's welcome in, Chris collins Worth Sunday Night Football. Come on in and join the conversation. There, Chris, good to.
Speaker 10: People just tell me to shut up all the time. It doesn't matter what I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: Do you look at the comments after a game?
Speaker 10: Negative? No, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: I do not did you it's did you?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 10: Of course you know that. When I first got on social media, I had four followers, and my kids told me that I had to sign up, So I signed up, and I signed up and so after the game, I was sitting there and I had four people, so I settle over to all of them. You know, I went back on and hey, how you guys do it? I thought that's what social media was. I had no idea, and they're like, Dad, no, you just you just get on because and then they started showing me how to do it. The thing that I found in our business is that generally people are very very nice. I mean, we travel all over the country, we go in they want to talk to you, they want to talk you know, blah blah blah. Hey love your show, great, this is a great But it's still like that one in whatever. It would be one in fifty one in fifty that goes, hey aren't you Chris collins Worth?
Speaker 6: And I like yeah.
Speaker 10: And generally the firstquestion is why do you hate the whatever their favorite team is? Right, That's that's the first one. And you know, then it's something along the lines that would you know, honestly, I think you suck And it just like it hits you like a ton of bricks because you're so used to people being so nice and coming up and and and being friendly and saying nice things. And then it's like the rest of the day, you're walking around kicking the can down the you you're like all bummed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cause I and I'm not on social media, but you know, we have a social media presence with the show. I think if there's something that we make a mistake on or I made a mistake on and somebody wants to correct me, I'm fine with that. But the other stuff, you know, I appreciate people listening or watching, but I don't need to read your appreciation for the show. You're you're already you know, showing me appreciation with that. But then you'll get people saying, I hate you so much, but I watch every day.
Speaker 6: I mean, damn, thank you, that's what I just thank you.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that your reaction to Kirk Cousins not only being benched, but to have a rookie who hasn't played much with three games to go.
Speaker 10: We did an Atlanta game early on against Kansas City I think it was, and even then Dan, they were talking about, oh my goodness, we've got one here, and they you know, I'm sure they haven't come out and publicly you know, done that, but they were really excited about what they were seeing and they really did not want to play him. They really wanted to, you know, be the whole Jordan love. You know, just let him sit and let them watch and let him learn and and you know, because there's a whole cadence to being the quarterback. You know, you have to go to you know, the press steel on Wednesday or whenever that thing is survive that you have to do it after the game. You've got a million different obligations. It's almost like being the head coach of the of the team, and it's hard, and so then you have to budget your time and generally quarterbacks are going in on their off day on Tuesday and learning the game plan and you know, it's just there's a lot that goes into it and seeing the live defenses and what they're going to do, and then what they're going to do to him will be completely different than what they've done to other guys. So I think they were really hoping they were going to make it through the year. But once they got to this point and it looked like the season was breaking a little bit and they were they had to have it. Now, I think they're putting him in to win. I don't think this is anything like, hey, let's take a look. It's I think at this point they really feel like he's the best option to.
Speaker 2: Win the situation with Minnesota, Like it's a that would be a good quarterback dilemma. I would think the way Barkley's playing, JJ McCarthy, you know, got a chance to sit this year, maybe six next year, Like what do you do with Sam Darnold if you were running the vikings for the future.
Speaker 10: They really like JJ up there, I mean really like him. The plan, my opinion of what the plan was was that they were gonna let Sam Donald walk at the end of this thing. At least that's what it was early in the year. But not many teams go on a run like this, right, I mean, this is this is pretty special, and they have a chance with the way they play defense and the way that Brian Flores is so good at just bringing that constant pressure and disrupting and making big plays and all the things that they do. And then Sam Donald has this, you know, JJ is just unbelievable, and Addison has you know, proven what he can do, and this is a team with a chance to win it. I don't think there's a team currently that I would just go, oh, that nobody's beating them, right, I just don't think there is. Right now, We've seen, you know, the Chiefs struggle, Detroit's got some injuries, Buffalo's had their moments, but Josh Allen's hot and all those sorts of things. But could the Minnesota Vikings win it all?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 10: And that was always my question. Everybody's that's the whole thing. Everybody's got to a play until they get punched in the face. Everybody's got a plan until you win a Super Bowl, or you make it to the Super Bowl, or you make it to the championship game. And I was trying to determine what was the cutoff at which Sam Donald would have to be your quarterback, right, I mean, there's no going back if you win a Super Bowl. Sam Donald has to come back and be the quarterback, doesn't he. But the belief in what they saw out of the draft process with JJ McCarthy was so strong. Even if they made it to the championship game, I'm not sure. I'm just not sure that they don't switch to J Jack.
Speaker 2: Chris collins Worth will be on the call with Mike Trico. That'll be Sunday night, it's the Bucks and the Cowboys. Okay, the Cowboys are still a big rating straw?
Speaker 6: Is that why? But is that why you don't flex out of that game?
Speaker 10: I think it had a little bit more to do with Tampa in this circumstance. And believe me, do you know how involved I am in which games we get.
Speaker 6: On Sunday Zeros?
Speaker 10: They give me the same call they give everybody else. It's all sort of driven by the ratings, but ultimately it's driven by the league. And I think sometimes and I'm just making stuff up, but I do think there are teams that they want to get in front of a national audience before they get to the playoffs, right, Like, let's let's put them somewhere where that people are going to see them, because that was a surprise team. I don't think you call Tampa surprise team because they made it to the playoffs the season ago, but maybe not all the national exposures. So let's get them out front and center. You know, Baker Mayfield's player of the week, they've got, you know, Mike Evans had had a tremendous game a week ago. Let's let's get an audience used to that. So that when we get to those playoff ratings, people people know what to.
Speaker 2: Expect if Christian mccaffery's career ended today.
Speaker 6: Is he a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 10: I mean, he was the best player at his position for a couple of years. I would say probably at least goy. With what these running backs are doing this season, it's it's hard to know what the expectation is at the running back position. But Christian McCaffrey was my first overall pick in my fantasy league. So yeah, I've got a little personal you're mad at having the heart on that one. So but you know, he is a very unique player. Marshall Fulk like is how I would describe him. And you know, when Marshall Fulk was healthy and playing well, that ability, that one two punch, the tough running inside and what he does as a receiver. What they probably have missed the most this year is the ability to do you know, that little horizontal motion that they do with him and they just create one on ones. Well, teams were having to double team him at the running back position, which was opening up Debo and all those guys I U to get one on one routes and it's why you saw some big plays down the field, so yeah, it's tight.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. I think Tiki Barber's more of a Hall of Famer than McCaffrey. If I'm just looking at numbers, if I said I'll give you a player A and player B, you would go with Tiki Barber's numbers over his. You know, Ricky Waters, look at his numbers. Ten thousand yards rushing. He was a great receiver out of the backfield. Fred Taylor eleven thousand yard. You know, there's it's weird how we're trying to grade running backs because Roger Craig was a wonderful running back and was doing this hybrid stuff back then for the Niners. So I don't envy Hall of Fame voters trying to tell me who a Hall of Famer is at that position.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's my position. My position on the position has probably evolved over time. We had James Brooks here when I was playing, and James was a tremendous receiver and the ability for him to be basically a wide out helped our offense so much. And I think that today, even though you know some of these running backs Cancert. You know King Henry can certainly catch the ball. You know Barkley can catch the ball. But McCaffrey's a receiver and a running back. And I think in today's game, where the rules allow you to hold, don't allow you to hit the quarterback, don't allow you to really attack the receiver. Cop would I have loved to play it in the era where they couldn't hit you right there. You know, when you if you don't have to think about that one, Dan, you know, if you're running over the middle and they hit you in the back, I want you to think about your body a little bit behind you, right behind you. The back of your head's hard. You've got ribs all the way down, You've got soft tissue. If you get hitting the butt, doesn't hurt that much, get hurt, hitting the hamstring cap, None of that stuff hurts. It's like it's all made salt. Your eyes are what has to protect the front of your body, right because everything here hurts, but that one right there, when they hit you right underneath the chin, that really hurt. And but you get hit in the stomach and obviously the privates, and you get hitting the thighs you get hitting the shin. Think how much it hurts to get hitting the shin. Everything in front of your body has to be protected by your eyes. And I don't even know why I got in there, but that's it's a really interesting thing. Someday, when you're at a cocktail party and you're about three beers in, you're gonna love that story. You're going to say, you know what, think about football players and they have to protect the front of their body with their eyes.
Speaker 6: Did you wear a protective cup? It did not.
Speaker 10: No, I don't know of anybody that did. I could barely stand to wear it in baseball because it was like, you know, you've always walked like a cowboy, no matter what, You've got to kind of walk around that thing.
Speaker 4: You know, you can't. They can't.
Speaker 10: They can't just swing straight. You know that's not good.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, the first of its kind, Madden NFL cast on Peacock during the Texans and the Chiefs. Were you a voice on the Madden game at some point?
Speaker 10: Yes, I was for like three years, and I know John quit like it's it's the Madden is maddening. So let me tell you what they do. I'm not even kidding they get you get a book. I wish I had a book around here somewhere. I mean, this thing is like distick and you're there for three or four days and you just take the book. And I'm not kidding you. I'm sitting there and I'm reading this thing. It's like, all right, I'm on this chapter. And it's like Peyton Manning just just threw his second interception of the game on that outcut Peyton Manning back to pass. Oh, he just threw his third interception the game. I got up to Peyton Manning just threw his seventeenth interception in the first half, and I said, I'm not kidding you. If anybody ever got to seventeen interceptions when I was doing it, I don't know if they threw it out of the game. I said, somebody shoot that sob that ain't Peyton Manning out there. I mean, it's like you lose your mind after a little while doing this game, and nobody ever dies it longer than like three years.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 10: They're out there. You go crazy.
Speaker 2: It'll be a no Eagle Todd Blackledge. That'll be Saturday at one eastern. The first of its kind Madden NFL cast on Peacock, but Chris will be on the call with Mike Trico Melissa Stark. That'll be Bucks Cowboys Sunday night, eight, twenty eastern. My best of the family. Merry Christmas to you, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 10: Merry Christmas and keep reminding people you protect the front of your body with your eyes.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Chris collins Worth there, words of advice. Whenever we play our pickup football game here in the Fieldhouse, we'll take break phone calls coming up and we'll bring back something that Charles Barkley said yesterday on the show.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap.
Speaker 2: DOWUR rankings coming up, and we'll hear from Charles Barkley something you.
Speaker 6: Had to say yesterday.
Speaker 2: Alex in Louisville, Hey, thanks for holding what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hey, good morning, Dan Zant's.
Speaker 5: I recently was thinking about the NBA and how to fix it, and I did come up with what I think is a pretty good idea of how to do so. So instead of doing your overall record out of eighty two games, how about we adopt kind of an NFL model, and we do eight five game series against division opponents, so you get two against each, ten three game series against the rest of conference opponents, and then five three game series against one division of the other conference. So it rotates each year like the NFL. So you get eighty five total games, but you are it's based out of a series record out of twenty three, with the tiebreaker being the overall record out of eighty five games.
Speaker 2: I don't want to add games. I think I need to see it on paper with something like that. Charles Barkley was with us yesterday and we talked to about maybe what you can do to make the NBA a little more attractive.
Speaker 4: I think we need to consider, seriously consider starting at Christmas, because you get cancaousness. You're wasting your time going up against the NFL and college football. They own the weekends now. But if I think if we started at Christmas, we'd have all the calendar. There's no other sports I mean that we'd have to compete with. If we started at Christmas, college football would be over. Pro football is winding down we'd have the entire calendar late December, January, February, March, April, May, June. To ourself, I think it's something we need to really consider playing and simple.
Speaker 2: Now I disagree with Charles because college football is expanding. Now you have the playoffs starting around Christmas, and it's going to be starting earlier than that the NFL. Then they go into the playoffs. You will christen the college football season in January and you'll have a national championship. NFL goes into the playoffs, then you got the Super Bowl. They're already going to interrupt the NBA All Star Game because the Super Bowl is going to be moved back another week so they can have it on Presidence Day weekend, so everybody gets Monday off. You know, college football is expanding, the NFL is expanding its footprint here, and the NBA is paying a price here because if you say, hey, we'll have all of February, well you got Super Bowl and then you might have a little bit of time. Then you have college basketball conference playoffs. Then you have March Madness that goes into the beginning of April. Then you got baseball that starts, and baseball is on an uptick. Baseball had a really good year, So now you're in competition with baseball. When you get to April, then you got the NFL Draft. It's I mean, you really got a hold on to a couple of months for dear life if you can, if you're the NBA, if you want to stand out. But once again, if the NBA players don't care, then why should I care? When it comes to load management? How many games do you want to play? How many are you going to play? Even the monetary enticement of you got to play a certain number of games if you're going to be qualifying for these honors postseason, you know, we don't want to watch rich get richer. Where you go great, I mean you're getting paid. We tried to spice up the NBA Cup that there's money at stake. There's no money at stake for us, Like I assume you want to play now, you really want to play because there's money attached to it. The All Star Game nobody cares about. So yeah, the NBA really has to start, you know, throwing out some ideas just like we are.
Speaker 6: There's no bad idea, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: And then I think this commissioner really needs to start to think Mike rob Manfred the baseball commissioner is thinking where it sounds crazy, maybe it's not as crazy.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, how about not fewer games, but you bump the season, the start of the season back, so you go deeper into summer when there's more room and more eyeballs.
Speaker 2: I don't once again, you've got people who get paid to do this, you know, market research, and I don't know if that's something that you can do. They want to do, but you know, once you get to summer, are people staying inside and watching?
Speaker 6: You know, that's another thing to factor.
Speaker 2: You'll go to a game, a baseball game in the summer because it's outside. It's not like you go can't wait to go to an indoor basketball game in the summer. All right, Time for dower rankings, dour any sport like you?
Speaker 6: What do you down? What's what's making you? Dower Ton been down on.
Speaker 3: The NBA lately. This NBA Cup thing obviously has been bothering me. And now they're doing this contrived trying to save the All Star Game with the four teams and the GMS from TNT and they just how did NBA get so desperate and uh downtrodden.
Speaker 6: Okay, Dower Seaton Dower Rankings.
Speaker 12: I'm dour on Tua and the Miami Dolphins. Okay, they you know, just had a must win game. Their season has been a little bit of a disaster. They have a ton of talent. They really seem to underperform grossly and not really get a ton of attention for it the way other teams do. And I think even Tua if you look at what happened this weekend past weekend with that injury, a lot of people point to Tua not putting balls in the right place and protecting his receivers. It's just an ugly scene there. I'm pretty dowered on Tua.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Marvin, I'm dower on the college football transfer portal this time of year is not good. The Penn State backup quarterback had the transfer. He didn't want to, but he had to because of the time restrictions. So that's what I'm paul.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go with the Tennessee Titans. Three years ago, they were twelve and five, They were in the playoffs for the third straight season. They had Mike Rabel, they had Tannehill, they had Derrick Henry and AJ Brown and they're really bad and they don't have a quarterback.
Speaker 6: It looks like going forward, Yeah, I think is he going to be benched? Yes? Wow, I'm dowur.
Speaker 2: On everybody's reaction to Caitlin Clark being named Time Magazine's Person of the Year. I just think the WNBA should have celebrated this. They didn't. It just it feels like it's old school news school race plays a role in this, you know, does privileged play. I mean, it's just she had an unbelievable year. It should be a victory lap for the WNBA. It feels like they're missing out on that opportunity. Two hours in the books, one more to go. We'll get to more phone calls as well. Operator Tyler is sitting by final hour in this Thursday Is Straight Ahead Dan Patrick Show.