Speaker 1: What's that at the bed. It's spooky and I'm pretty sure it's dead. It's coming, it's way.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, help, I'm ghosted.
Speaker 1: By ras Dress. Hey boo, it's me, Roz. Happy Pride Month. Of course, that's something that means a lot to me, and I thank you for for always you know, embracing me as a member of the lgbt q I A plus community. And here it ghosted by Roz Jesepheles. We celebrate that all year long, and I think you tell you allies and and members of the LGBTQI A plus community as well. Go back and listen to some more episodes with all the wonderful queer people I've had on the show, and spread the word if people are looking for a you know, queer friendly, queer hosted, queer embracing podcast about ghosts. Oh my god, Okay this episode today, you guys, I had so much fun and this is a two parter. Okay this week. Well, first of all, my guest is Andrea Parrin, who famously grew up in the house that went on to inspire the first Conjuring movie, and so we had a lot to talk about. She's my new friend she's got a great sense of humor, she has a lot to say, and I feel like we have and even scratch the surface. So hopefully I can have her on again in the future. She sounds she sounds down to do it, so UH this will hopefully be the first of many conversations that I'll have with her on this podcast. And in this first week's UH version of our conversation, we talk a lot about bath Sheba Sherman, who I talked to Amy Brune about. And it's also there's also some some stuff about bath Sheba Sherman and Amy Brune's book as well. And you know, she's the woman that was made out to be this awful, spooky, scary witch in the Conjuring movie, and so you'll hear a lot about that today. And yeah, there's just there's just so much. And as always, I have a little bit extra if you want to hear on Patreon. She tells the story that I first heard in that documentary that came out about Edim Lorraine Warren a couple months back, I think, not that long ago. What is time? You know? It was at some point there was a documentary that's pretty good. It's on Discovery. Plus, now somebody tells a story about in the house that Andrea parent grew up in. Her mom bit into an orange and blood started gushing out in like a paranormal way. And so I asked Andrea that story, and we talk about that on Patreon. And I also asked her about like when the Amneyville Horror came out and Edie Lorraine Warren were on TV, and like there was all this talk about, you know, this haunted house case, which came after the original Conjuring case with Ada and Lorraine Warren, and so I was curious what that was like for her to see those two paranormal investigator people, the Warrens on TV. But like, wait, those are the people that were over here investigating my house. Like I don't know, I just I thought it was an interesting thing to ask her about. So you can hear that on Patreon and that's patreon dot com slash rosdres Fales And as always, I have a little video this week. It's just a fun little game where I tell I guess you could say I do dramatic readings of real encounters or statements about aliens that celebrities have said. And I have you guess which celebrities said that, So it's all fun. Patreon dot com slash roz jes Fales. Okay, let's get into it. Here's Part one with Andrea Parrin on with the show. I am so good you and I we just met through Patrick Keller. Shout out to Patrick and we we talked on the phone the other day and I had so much fun talking to you. You're you're a blast.
Speaker 2: I'm what is known as a live wire, and you know, I mean you had me in stitches because at one point, uh, you know, both of us were so wound up, and you said, okay, we have to stop because you know, I'm paraphrasing because I'm you know, this is what this is the kind of stuff we need to say for the show and that and my response to that was, oh honey, this doesn't run out. It's not like draining a water pipe. You know, there's there's more where that came from.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean you wrote about your uh just your time living in that the famous house that we all know about, and that span three books. I mean, yes, you have a lot to say on this and it's all gold and I can't wait for it. But Another thing that you were telling me is that you love drag queens. And I love that.
Speaker 2: I do. I do. Years and years ago when I lived just north of Atlanta in Roswell, Georgia, on the weekends, yeah, the other Roswell. Yeah, I used to go into the city with my sister Christine and some of our friends and we would hit the drag bars and so I got to know all the queens and oh my god, I would fall at their feet, so talented, so beautiful. It was. It was a blast. It was a period of my life that was just you know, filled with fun and excitement. And then a few years ago I went to Gulf Pour Gulfport, Florida, which is it's near it's south of Saint Pete and they had a great drag bar. So for the time that I spent there, I was I was out and about in town with the queens, you know. And it's and the thing that I love about it is my readers. A lot of my readers, you know, they have nicknames for me, and one of them is Queen of the Alternate Universe and h and I tell them, you know, but I don't have a crown, except you know, in the back of my mouth and it's gold. But it's just for you know, evening weear. And so every time I go to an event somebody brings me a tiara or a crown, it's they're precious. They're just lovely.
Speaker 1: Oh, listen to us, just a couple of queens, I know, getting speaky. Well, when you come to LA, you're gonna have to come to one my shows.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would love to, I truly would.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, where do we start in a conversation about you? I mean, I'm sure you've talked about this stuff bajillion times, so I hope that we can keep it fun and interesting for you to talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh, it doesn't you know. I'm so I'm so grateful that anybody I'm one of these humble, grateful souls, you know. I'm just so glad anybody wants to talk to me about anything at all. You know, I would have thought years and years ago that this story would have, you know, worn its legs out and become passe. And I'm just so happy when anybody wants me to come on their show. And I do thousands of interviews and they've never subsided. And my books are selling as well now as when the story first came out, and sometimes better. So you know, I just I look at this as this is my privilege and my pleasure to connect and reconnect with not only my friends and my followers, but to introduce the story to new people. And you know, even if it's just a handful of people that have never heard of it before that you know, aren't you know, I don't know what planet they would be from, but you know, didn't know about the conjuring, didn't know about you know, the backstory. Then this is my opportunity to tell them. So you know, I'm not bored by it at all. I just you know, I'll mix it up with you. You can ask me anything, Roz. Believe me. I told you the other day on the phone. There is no there's no question off the table, none. I'll answer everything.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm such a horror fan, and you know, especially like these big budget horror movies, sometimes they just you know, they come and go. And I know from you know, being a part of the horror community and going to horror conventions and that movie. I mean, it's been what eight years or so since it came out, and it is still it's still is it's clearly going to be known as one of the most iconic horror movies, especially in the haunted house paranormal horror movie genre. And then I think that the success of it, which of course has gone on to you know, a series of other films, the third one coming out like very soon, the it has caused people to now be more interested in the Warrens and you and the real story. And that's what I really want to get into today.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. Well, you know, the real story behind The Conjuring is so intense and so complicated, so spiritual in nature. I think of it as a love story with a wicked, supernatural twist. In fact, I think of our story as an odd combination of The Exorcist meets Little House on the Prairie. And so you know, when they the screenwriters for The Conjuring, Chad and Carry Hayes, they're twin brothers, lovely people read my books. They freaked out. They were like, we have to include this. You know, this can't just rely predominantly on the case files of the warrants. We need to include some of what's real in this story into the story. And they desperately wanted to do so. Unfortunately, every time they attempted to incorporate elements of the truth into the story, it scared the execs at Warner Brothers and New Line Cinema so much that they told them to take it out. They actually submitted their screenplace even times, and seven times it was rejected, and they were told to delete anything that came out of my books because you know, even studio execs or fear based carbon units, they were trying to get a PG. Thirteen rating, which they didn't get anyway, and they were trying not to literally scare people out of the theater, and so based on their reaction, their personal reaction to our true story, they told the screenwriters that they had to take it out. So the Conjuring screenplay is kind of an interesting amalgamation between the case files of Ed and Lorraine Warren Cherry picking what they felt was safe from my books than the screenwriters Chad and carry kind of conjured up a whole third story and that's what became the Conjuring. So it bears no actual resemblance to the truth, and the portrayal of my family is inaccurate at times in the extreme, but I don't mean for that to sound critical in any way, because they were trying to do something that was quite literally impossible. They were trying to compress a ten year period into a two hour film, and with the focus being on Ed and Lorraine Warren as one of their primary cases. And before Ed died, he told Lorraine that he wanted her to move heaven and Earth to get the paren family story told. He was on the record verbatim as saying it was the most intense, most disturbing, most compelling, and most significant of all of the investigations that they ever conducted. So when James wand read my books, He's like, how the hell do I not know about this? You know, he was an officionado of the Warrens. He was like totally into what they were doing and how they were doing it. And he followed them for well, practically for as long as he was alive, and they, you know, were well into their career when he was a kid, so he naturally gravitated toward them as being pioneers in the paranormal and he just he's like, how do I not know about this? When I first met with him in Hollywood, you know, he asked me, we're sitting at a production meeting and he's like, you know, why was this not out in the world. And I said, there's a very simple reason. My mother said, no, that's why. And then thirty years later I picked up a pen and started writing our truth, not even knowing if there was going to be anyone out there that was interested in hearing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I always I have a lot of conversations on this show about it's like a weird formula of things to happen for something like the Amneyville Horror to become what it is, because you have to have people that live in a house that are going to talk about it and want to go on TV. And you know, that's not always the case. There's a lot of people that live in these situations that may never even publicly share them. And so I mean, when this was happening, your family, your parents were not the personalities to say let's go on TV, right or.
Speaker 2: Oh god, no, oh my god. Now. In fact, that's one of the major discrepancies in the film, because well, there were several and we can cover them all, but the one that my mother was kind of shocked by. She never went to see it in the theater. My mother's very reclusive. She doesn't like she's like Dorothy Gale and the Wizard of Oz. She doesn't really want to go outside her own yard. And yet you know, she's been to Oz and back, except that she's been to Helen back, and.
Speaker 1: She's been portrayed by Lily Taylor, which is iconic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lily was wonderful in the role. I think she got totally screwed not getting nominated for some kind of an award for her portrayal.
Speaker 1: I thought Hollywood's idea of the.
Speaker 2: Very powerful performance that she delivered. But you know the thing is that we didn't know who the Warrens were when they showed up at our door. My mother did not go seeking out the warrants. We didn't know who the young team of paranormal investigators were that pulled into our yard in August of nineteen seventy three and why they were there, And to this day we cannot explain the mystery around that because a young and interestingly twin brothers kind of like the screenwriters were. Chad and Carrie Hayes were the screenwriters, but the twin brothers that showed up at our house in nineteen seventy three or Keith and Carl Johnson and their team of paranormal investigators from Rhode Island College, and Keith said that my mother called him and asked him to come out out to the house. And my mother never called anybody and asked anyone to investigate what she didn't even understand herself. Wow. And he said, but I recognize your voice, missus Parrin, And she said, dear, I don't know who called you, but it wasn't me. And even saying those words now sends a chill up my spine because my mother was already being oppressed by a spirit that you know, they can be very powerful, and my mother was already in transition the spirit in the house that wanted my mother out, that just loathed her and threatened her and wanted her out of that house, figured by my own assumption that if she couldn't get her out, then she would go within. And my mom's voice was changing. She was wearing vintage clothing, she was using archaic English terminology in her you know, matter of fact, normal day to day speech. And at first we thought it was because she was doing so much research on the house that she was kind of getting it into her head and you know, reading that language so much that she was incorporating it into her normal patterns of speech. But it was something more than that. And I do believe that the visage of my mother called Keith Johnson, but it wasn't my mother.
Speaker 1: God, I like that version. I like the idea of of seeing in a horror movie a ghost calling somebody or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, I've had a numerous incidents where I've been in contact with Bethjieba Sherman through spirit box, and she will attempt to throw my voice, to use my voice instead of her own. And one of the sessions that I was doing with my friend George Lopez was with her.
Speaker 1: Well white, the actor comedian George Lopez.
Speaker 2: No, my friend George Lopez is the sit on your ass comedian, not the stand up one. Oh he's yeah, he lives here in Florida and he yeah, George is always most comfortable if he's down in a chair and completely out of the public eye. So's he's the antithesis of the original George Lopez.
Speaker 1: Well, the famous George Lopez lives in a haunted house.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I really want to talk to him at some point, but oh.
Speaker 2: You should, Yeah, you should hook us up too. I'd like to have a conversation with him. So but anyway, I was at George's house, I don't know, probably about six or seven years ago, and we were doing a spirit box session and my voice came through that box and George was like, oh, hell no, you know, we'll talk to you, but you can't throw Andrea's voice. You need to use your own voice or we're not doing this. And all of a sudden, the voice of it sounded like a child came through. And Bethsheba was a very diminutive person. She was a very small framed woman with a high pitched voice, and I have her on several recordings coming through and communicating with us. Well that's how she came through. And once she finally did, we had a very interesting conversation and George asked her at one point what one word she associates with me, and instantly her response was love. And I know why because I've been her defender. You know, she was made out to be the villainous, you know, to be the offending spirit in the conjuring, and that was based on Missus Warren's interpretation of things, But she was not the one that was haunting and taunting my mother, and in fact was not even born yet when the spirit that was coming after my mother was long dead. You know, my father believes that it's actually Missus John Arnold, who was found hanging in the barn in seventeen ninety seven at the age of ninety three, who took her own life after her husband passed away. And that was according to the town historian who came and met my parents and told them as much as he knew of the history of the farm. You know, now, the thing is, none of them ever walked up to any of us and said, oh, hello, my name is You know. There was literally only one self identifying spirit at the farmhouse, and he was a little boy that my sister played with. You know, that was one element that they picked up in the conjuring that was accurate. But you know, they portrayed my family as godless heathens as juxtaposed to the devout Roman Catholic Warrens, when nothing could have been further from the truth. We were all born and raised Catholic. My father had intended on serving his tour in the navy and then coming back and going into the seminary to become a priest. He was born and raised in the parochial Roman Catholic tradition, had served as an altar boy for you know, the bulk of his youth, and had been very influenced by a couple of priests who he admired greatly, and he won to follow in their footsteps. And it was only during you know, that period where he was in the navy and met my mother that all bets were off about the priesthood because he fell in love with her, and so you know, bingo, that's where we all come from. But we were not godless, you know, we weren't paran Pagans or godless heathens. You know, although pagan does you know, Pagan is a religion, and you know, more closely akin to what I practice, because you know, I say, if you want to know God, go to the woods. But I just I look at the you know, that was the thing my mother took the greatest exception to. She thought that the whole possession and exorcism scene in the film, and she watched it on DVD. One night, she walked into the parlor and She's like, Okay, I'm ready to watch it. And I said, well, you know, mom, we were going to watch The Princess Bride. She's like, just put the movie in. So I mean, yeah, we're going to watch The Princess Bride for like the fiftieth time. And she's like, no, you can quote the script on that. I'm ready to see the movie now.
Speaker 1: Ye see me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it. So she's so funny and uh oh when I showed her, I got just as an aside, when I showed her the trailer for the first time, the initial trailer that came out for the film. She stood there and we had it up on a big mac and she is watching this thing and with her arms crossed and her foot tapping, and when it was all done, she said, I wouldn't have been caught dead in that skirt.
Speaker 1: That is something we talk about this all the time on this show, getting re enacted, because you know, we talked. I talked to a lot of people that have been on celebrity ghost Stories and various shows where they get reacted, and that is one of my favorite things is people are like, my hair isn't like that. I didn't wear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We didn't listen to music like that. We listened to hippie music. What's wrong with these people? You know? Oh God, she's so funny, she's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Well, but who the whole bad Sheba Sherman thing. We talked to Amy Bruney about that, and I know she talks about it in her book about just you know, it's it's almost it's unfortunate to see how somebody's image, even though they're long past, can be portrayed and skewed. And and there's been a number you know, that happens all the time. There's so much folklore that gets gathered around people that it's like they they that's not who they were.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I would feel about that. If my spirit was lingering around and everyone had something bad to say about me.
Speaker 2: Well, she's pissed, I can tell you that, you know. And I and right after the movie opened, some moron, some idiot, decided to go into the cemetery where she was buried, is buried and desecrate her gravestone. And when I found out about that, I went immediately to one of my producers. I said, I need to make a video right now. He said, okay, okay, okay, and I put it out, and you know, I basically said, you know, here's the thing. I don't know who you are, but she does. And woe be unto you for going into that cemetery on sacred ground and using whatever you did to destroy one hundred and fifty year old gravestone. This will haunt you for the rest of your life. And I was, I was just, you know, I really think that's why Bethsheba cares for me, because yes, I did write in the books what you know people said in town about her, what the historian.
Speaker 1: Said about her, But which is what.
Speaker 2: Well, when he came he knew her when he was a child. Who did the historian did. Yes, he had lived in that town lifelong. His name was mister mckeachen, and he was in his nineties when we met him. She died in eighteen eighty five. We moved there in nineteen seventy one, so you do. The math was she died when he was ten years old, and she had a reputation as a very mean spirited woman. She was born in eighteen twelve. She died in eighteen eighty five, and she was apparently quite cruel to her. Farm hands would beat them, would starve them, would you know. I mean when he spoke of her, he would drop his eyes. He wouldn't even look directly at you. It was like it pained him to tell the story of her. She was not an arnold. She never lived at the farmhouse. She was a product of a union between the Fair family and the Taft family, both families of extraordinary means. Both there was a president Taft right from her bloodline, and the Fairs basically helped build Brown University. Fair Street is probably the most famous street in Providence. And how she hooked up with Judson Sherman, a farmer out in the backwoods of Harrisville, Rhode Island. You know, nobody will ever know. But she was a young woman when she moved there, probably sixteen or seventeen years old when she married, and you know, and that was considered late back then, because life expectancy was around forty five years old, And so she had a reputation that preceded her when we moved to the farm, and mister mckechen told my mother that at some point she was accused of having taken the life of an infant while at our home at the Arnold estate, and we don't know if she was babysitting, if she was visiting and she had one of her own children with her, We don't know. And I'd be the first one to say, you know, they are a huge glaring holes in this story. Worry, but you know, piecing it together. He said that she was accused. Upon examining the infant's body, it was found by the doctor that there was a needle that had been impaled at the base of its skull and the cause of death was listed as convulsions. That's what he told my mother, which absolutely unnerved her, appalled her. But then there was apparently some inquest. The town that we lived in was not even incorporated then, it was just a smattering of villages. So there was an inquest in the town seat of Chapatchet, which is actually now the town seat in Gloucester Leocester, Rhode Island, the town just south of Burrelville, and there was an inquest that involved a judge. There was something written up in a local paper. My mother found an article about it in archives that were actually stored in western Massachusetts, and she included it in her notebook of historical records, births, deaths, you know, all the different certificates. When she was doing research on the house, and Missus Warren asked for that notebook to make xerox copies of everything in it, and my mother never saw it again. So she was working from memory in terms of telling me this to put it into the book. But according to the inquest, she was absolved of responsibility and if she did something wrong, then she talked herself, you know, talked her way out of it. But you know that was back at a time when things could, you know, terrible accidents could happen. There was a sewing basket in every room. We don't know if it was an infant or a toddler, if you know, a baby had been laid down in the soft of a yarn, a basket of yarn, and a terrible accident happened. We don't know. And I just don't think that it's right to accuse someone of murder if you don't have any evidence of that. So the judge said, no, there's you know, basically, there's nothing to see here. This looks like it must have been some kind of an accident. But in the court of public opinion, Bathsheba was tried and convicted and lived a long and miserable life. And you know, just one hundred or so years earlier, being called a witch in New England, just up the road in Salem would get you killed. That's still a very dangerous word to throw around in some parts of the world. Women die every day on this planet somewhere for being accused to being witch.
Speaker 1: Well, because in the movie what was how was she portrayed inaccurately? I mean, I'm trying to It's been like about a year since I've seen the movie, but I'm trying to remember she was a witch in the movie? Is that right?
Speaker 2: Or yeah? Well that's you know, kind of how they portrayed her, and she took tremendous exception to that. But her biggest gripe was she was really angry that a man played her and that she was so ugly and hideous, because Bathsheba was actually quite beautiful. And the research that I did about her, I surmised that one of the reasons why she was accused of selling her soul to the devil for eternal youth and beauty and sacrificing a baby to do it, was because the women. Some of the women in town were threatened by her, and the men would often gaze upon her with rapacious eyes. So she was a threat. And you know, had there been any evidence, any proof whatsoever, that Beth sheeba Sherman was a practicing witch and that had done something as hideous and heinous as taking the life of a baby, she would not be buried in hallow ground, hallowed ground in the middle of the Riverside cemetery in Harrisville, Rhode Island, next to her husband, with three tiny little graves right beside hers. Because three of her four children didn't live past the age of four. Wow, and that was not that unusual. That's not you know, any kind of implication that she killed off her kids as she had at all. You know, common cold could take you out in the eighteen hundreds and prior to that, you know, even today, you know, I mean, let's face it, we're in the midst of a battle with a new coronavirus. You know, it's it's it's shocking to walk through the cemeteries of New England, the early cemeteries. You are there's not a chance, there's a guarantee that you are going to trip over a tiny little gravestone that doesn't even have a name carved on it because it was considered bad luck to name your baby before it was a year old. God, can you imagine now children and going through that whole process of bringing a new life into the world, only to see the common cold kill it.
Speaker 1: Right, So you how often do you talk to her or have you been in contact with her spirit?
Speaker 2: I've spoken with her through spirit box sessions several times.
Speaker 1: And so she I mean, I don't know how it works in the ghost world, but she has seen the movie or like she knows about.
Speaker 2: Me, knows she knows, Yeah, she knows. And I was a few years ago, I was giving a lecture near her gravestone. Only had about maybe twenty or thirty people with me, and I was just talking about her and what I knew of her. And you know, I have a whole entire chapter in volume three of my book's House of Darkness, House of Light, and it's called Season of the Witch. And not only does it address what is most likely you know, I can't absolve her because I don't know for sure, but I certainly have given her the benefit of the doubt, and in that chapter of the book. It retraces the entire history of that word in use and the ramifications of such. And I was talking about that near her gravestone. I guess it was about maybe four or five years ago, and one of the young men that was at the lecture was recording it unbeknownst to me. And when I got back to my home, he called me up and he said, Andrea, you're not going to believe this. He's like, oh my god, wait till you hear this. I said, well, you know, Cody, you know, wait till I hear what. And he sent me an audio clip of a disembodied voice of Beth sheeba Sherman, screaming her name allowed over me as I was as I was lecturing, and no one heard it, but it was recorded on the videotape and it was absolutely her voice.
Speaker 1: But you think she sounded mad.
Speaker 2: I think it was more frustration than anything. She screamed, bath Sheba, like I'm here, I'm right here. No, and nobody heard it, but it was captured on tape. He was recording what I was saying, and there it was, and it was her. So you know, I have you know, and I've mixed it up with her a little bit here and there because she has a tendency to misbehave, but that she she came through.
Speaker 1: A spirit box with your voice. Is that what you said earlier?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, now here's my show bizweel's turning. We get you on America's Got Talent. You could do ventriloquist.
Speaker 2: Act smart ass?
Speaker 1: Well, can we talk about like see, I talk to people that live in haunted houses, but it's like, uh, there's just so much here and usually what we do is we kind of start from the beginning and and get into it a bit. So if we could do that as much as you're you're willing to share. I'm curious because you said that your your family was Catholic, and I always think that because I grew up Catholic too, and I always think that Catholic people tend to kind of have a belief in the supernatural. There's lots of supernatural elements to Catholicism, I feel. So before you guys moved in, did you guys believe in this stuff or have any it Wasians or anything.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't on the radar at all. The closest we ever came to go was when Mom took old linen sheets and cut holes in it so that we could, you know, go out for Halloween. It was absolutely not on the radar. My mother was drawn to that house for one reason only as a historian, someone who's deeply steeped in not just American history, but you know, ancient history. She was fascinated when she saw the place and wanted it because it was one of the last authentic colonial homes left in America. And it is absolutely stunningly beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well, the guy that you guys got it from, did he have anything to say about the paranormal.
Speaker 2: Well, mister Kenyon, I think, in his own way, tried to tell my father that there was activity in the house, but my father was oblivious to what he was. He took my dad out for a walk just before just before dusk the day that we moved in, and he was moving out, and he said, Roger, for the sake of your family, leave the lights on at night. And my father didn't know how to interpret that. The way that he did interpret it was, you know, this is a huge, vacuumous old house that is new to my children. All the bedrooms are upstairs, the stairwells are very steep and narrow, and if you don't want your kids falling down the stairs in the middle of the night to go to the one and only bathroom on the first floor, you'd better leave some lights on in the house. That's how his mind, his pragmatic Burgo mind, processed what would otherwise be a rather cryptic comment. And as things were happening in the house, mister Kenyon would stop by pretty regularly, and my mother would question him about strange noises and happenings in the house. And she was being very she was walking on eggshell She was being very delicate with it too, and he would just pat her on the hand and say, swallows in the chimney, My dear, swallows in the chimney.
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Oh, like birds or they make a noise?
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, he just didn't want to talk about it. But as we lived there, we found out from people that lived I mean we had two hundred acres, you know, couldn't even see the nearest neighbor's house. But just traveling on the school bus and getting to know some of the other people that lived in the area, we discovered that there was never ever a time that someone drove past that house in the middle of the night or in the wee hours of the morning, that that house wasn't lit up like a Christmas tree on the dark landscape in the remote woods of Harrisville, Rhode Island. Every single light was on in that house every single night.
Speaker 1: So when you guys move in, and it's always so interesting when there's a lot of people in one house, when the stories start to come out, you know, like I experienced something. Oh my god, that happened to me too, Like where did that start? And how soon did it start.
Speaker 2: We visited the house a number of times prior from the time my mother found it till we actually owned it, which was about June, about six months maybe less a little less. My mom found it in June of nineteen seventy. My parents bought it in December of nineteen seventy and we moved in on January eleventh, nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: Is this were in the area at the time or where.
Speaker 2: We well, yeah, we lived in Cumberland, Rhode Island, which, as the crow flies, is only about maybe twenty twenty five minutes away. But in all of our visits to the farm and to mister Kenyon. Prior to owning it, no one in the family ever remembered seeing anything, hearing, anything, smelling anything weird, you know. I mean, there was just no indication at all that there was anything weird or bizarre about that house. It wasn't until the day we moved in. It was almost as though they were waiting in the wings. And the day we moved in, I was the one that saw a full body apparition first. But he appeared as absolutely solid and flesh and blood as any living mortal being to me. And when I walked past him, he was standing in the door to the foyer of the dining room. And I walked in with a box that my dad had handed me off the back of the moving truck, and he said, take this to your mom in the kitchen. Mom had gone around to the kitchen door. She had my baby sister April with her, and the rest of us were big enough that we could help move things in the house. So I brought the box in through the parlor door, took a hard rite and there was mister Kenyon packing some of his belongings on the dining room table, and I stopped for a moment and greeted him, and then I turned around and there was this man standing in the corner of the room, and I noticed that he was dressed rather oddly, but he appeared absolutely solid to me. Was wearing he was wearing it looked like handmade pants and a linen shirt and kind of a handmade vest, and he had his arms crossed. He had one leg up against the wall and he was leaning against the wall, and his head was kind of cocked a little sideways with a quirky grin on his face, and he was completely transfixed on mister Kenyon and watching him. And as I walked past him, I said, good morning, sir, and he looked right through me like I was an invisible ghost. And you know, I didn't want to press it. I didn't know who he was. So I walked into the kitchen and I said, Mom, who's that man with mister Kenyon? And she said, there's nobody with mister Kenyon. His son's on the way, but he's not here yet, so I'm sure. I just presumed it was a neighbor who had stopped by to say goodbye. And I walked out the kitchen door and walked back around to the moving van. In the interim, my sister Christine walked in and she saw him and walked into the kitchen and said, Mom, who's the man with mister Kenyon? And She's like, I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I know, there's nobody with mister Kenyon. And I can't go look because I'm on backing boxes so we can have dinner tonight. And so Chris walked out the kitchen door and then Cindy comes in the kitchen and with her box and she says, Mom, who's that And my mother's like, I don't know. Maybe I don't know. And then Nancy, Nancy, I mean, it was mayhem, it's chaos. It's moving day, for God's sake. Yeah, and you know, So then Nancy walks in the kitchen and she leans over to Cindy and she says, Sin, did you see that man with mister Kenyon? I did. Buddy just disappeared. And that was our introduce, our introduction to the paranormal world.
Speaker 1: Did you ever see that man ever again?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. He was like a member of the freaking family. He was around all. He was very sweet. He was very sweet, and you know, he never caused a problem. He never made eye contact with any of us, except one time with my mother just once and acknowledged her and she acknowledged him.
Speaker 1: Did you ever figure out who that was?
Speaker 2: We don't know for certain, but we think it might have been Johnny Arnold, who was who died in the mid eighteen fifties and had apparently a drinking problem and he would drink horse liniment because it was the percentage of alcohol was so high and it killed him. Wow.
Speaker 1: So at what point do you guys go, wait a minute, I think that was a ghost right away? Or did you kind of let it go?
Speaker 2: Well, none of us knew what a ghost was.
Speaker 1: Its Yeah, you're like, he doesn't have on a sheet with holes cutouts. He's just some guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you know, the closest we ever got to anything supernatural was, you know, coming home from school and watching dark shadows.
Speaker 1: You know, I love dark shadows.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh so much fun. You know, vampires are very sexy, not for nothing, but you know they really are. I mean, have you ever seen the Hunger?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: What I mean, that's just about as erotic as it gets. Oh well, there are several but okay, all right, I digres.
Speaker 1: Well, wait, now that we're on the topic of hot guys. Was that ghost hot? Yes, but he needed a makeover with those homemade ass clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know, Oh no, I thought you were talking about David Bowie and I was talking about Catherine Denov.
Speaker 1: No, the ghost at your house with the homemakers.
Speaker 2: No, he was. Even though he was a relatively young man when he died, he looked much older than he was. He was kind of well, I guess, not short for his his time, his era. But he had very very weathered skin, aged skin, a lot of wrinkles, but very sweet blue eyes. And no, you know, I don't know. I mean we you know, we don't know for sure. We may never know. You know, it's not like, you know, they lived in the days of Facebook and Instagram and you knew what they had for dinner every day, and you know everybody that they were related to or ever slept with, or you know. I mean, it's like there's no record of this. You know, there's birth and death certificates and not much else.
Speaker 1: You just have to put the pieces together.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's time, yes, it is, you know, But I've said many times, and I think that it bears repeating. It's it doesn't matter who they were in life, that they still are is proof of an after life.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, and you believe that the house is a portal, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've described it as a portal cleverly disguised as a farmhouse. You know, it's I mean, we never knew. I mean, it was like God, we never knew if you know, if it was nineteen seventy two, if it was eighteen seventy six, it was seventeen forty, you know, I mean, we just we never knew who we were going to see, what time period they would come from. One of the most fascinating things, and I'm jumping years ahead now, but one of the most fascinating things that ever happened in that house was when my mother looked into the dining room and saw an entire family having dinner at our table, a woman cooking over a fireplace that had been closed up solid for more than one hundred years when we moved into that house, and there were two men sitting at the table. They had Pewter Stein's in front of them, so it would be you know, indicative of the seventeen hundreds because pewter was outlawed for use and you know, for eating or drinking from because of the lead content in the eighteen hundreds. And they were sitting there and one of them looked into the parlor and saw my mother standing on the hearthstone, and he nudged the man behind him and pointed her out. And she was the ghost, right, So she was looking into the past as they were simultaneously peering into the future, which would certainly lead one to think that dimensions can intermingle.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, that's so weird. It's like she time traveled, you know, in their.
Speaker 2: Eyes, Yeah, and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Yes. Well, and especially being like you know, very interested in the history, as you said your mom was. It's it's very odd when you hear about all these different ghosts from different time periods living among you, because you're literally living amongst people from history, Like, it's very strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know, dwelling among the dead. Well challenge you psychologically. You can't help but question your own sanity, to question your own senses. Did I just see that? Right? You know? I mean it? And that was I asked my sister Cindy one time. I said, sent you know, I was. I was writing the books at the time, and I wanted everybody's unique perspective, and they're all different on the experience of the decade that we spent there. And I asked her one time, you know, the age old question, what was the scariest thing that ever happened to you? I didn't put it quite that way, but I wanted her to divulge more. And she said, the thing that frightened her most about living at the farm was you never knew what was coming next. Yeah, there was nothing predictable. The unexpected was expected, and anything could happen at any time. When Missus Warren first came to the house, you know those the guys Keith and Carl Johnson. Keith Johnson saw out the Warrens at a seminar at the University of Rhode Island in September of nineteen seventy three, and he's the one that informed them of our family's predicament. And then they waited until the night before Halloween in seventy three to show up at our door. And when my mother opened the kitchen door, she had absolutely no idea who these people were. She was on Halloween the night before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she I thought they were trigger treaders.
Speaker 2: Well she you know, my mother was very cordial and had no reason to suspect that this middle aged couple, you know, posed any threat, and so she figured they were just lost, and so she let them in the house, and they identified themselves, and missus Warren walked over to our old black stove and put her hand on the corner of it and covered her eyes, and she said, I sent a malignant presence in this house. Her name is Bethsheba. Now, to her credit, she knew nothing, nothing about the history of the house, so that she plucked that name out of thin air speaks volumes. But then she blamed her for everything that was nefarious that ever happened in the house, as though she was, you know, the lone culprit, and and as though the other spirits had nothing to do with it. And it was I believe that the spirit that was, you know, that just ran my mother ragged clearly obviously had a broken neck. And Bathsheba died from a stroke in eighteen eighty five. So she did not hang from a tree. There was no exorcism in our house. There was a seance that was rather foisted upon my parents at my father's great objection in August of seventy four, but I think maybe the fifth time that they had come to conduct their investigation, and my father wanted absolutely no part of them. He didn't trust them. He thought that, you know, all of this was bs that that they were just going to exploit our family. And he didn't understand my mother having faith in them and spelling her guts about what happened at the house. I mean, he was still, you know, trying to deal with it himself. He was just coming out of complete and utter denial of it when they showed up, so, needless to say, he was highly skeptical. But they showed up one night with a priest and a medium, and they had cinematographers and they had an audio specialist, and I mean they showed up with a whole entourage, and I thought my father's head was just going to blow off. He did not want them there. And missus Warren said, your wife is oppressed, and if we do not intervene on her behalf, then she's going to end up in full blown possession and you're going to lose her. And you know, he just basically said you know, I don't believe in ghosts. And she just looked at him with venom in her eyes, and she said to him, if you love your wife, you'll let us do this. Well, thank god she wasn't a man, because had she been, he would have cold cocked her and her husband ed and the priest had to remove him from the room and take him into the bedroom and kind of talk him off a ledge. And meanwhile they took my mother and they put her at the table. And all the four of the five of us of the children, were home that night, and we were all told to go upstairs and close our doors and be quiet. Well, you know, you think we stayed up there. You know, I came down with my sister Sindy, and we snuck into the front foyer, and somebody had pushed the door closed to the dining room, but it was still open a crack about an inch ech and a half, and all the lights were turned off. Nobody could see us. And what I saw, what I saw happen not only solidified my faith in God as I prayed for my mother's life, but it also taught me that there is pure, unadulterated evil in the world. And it is with that knowledge that I deliberately choose to live in the light. Evil doesn't it doesn't, dare my mother. My mother was attacked, and some would say possessed, and perhaps if she was, technically it was for a very brief time. But my mother was attacked at that table because a medium who obviously didn't know what she was doing, threw open wide the doors to the nether world and conjured the spirits and invited everything in to an already supremely haunted house. So to determine who the actual culprit was, that is spiritual malpractice, and whatever it was that came into my mother spoke in a language that does not exist on this planet and likely never did. My mother was screaming and writhing in pain. Her body wadded up into a ball on the seat in the chair in which she was seated, I mean literally ros to the extent that you would expect to hear or her bones breaking. And she threw her head back and howled like a banshee, and then her chair levitated, and in a fraction of a second she was tossed in the chair from the middle of our dining room a good twenty feet away into the middle of our parlor, and when her head struck the floor, everyone who witnessed that was quite certain that they had just watched her die.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So you want to talk about fucking childhood trauma. There it is there, It is right there.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to Andrea Parrin. And of course don't forget next week. We will hear way more next week. You know, we get into more when the movie was made, and we talk about a whole bunch of other stuff surrounding this story. And make sure you're subscribed and you look forward to that. And as always, if you want to hear a little bit more, go to patreon dot com slash Rosdreds Falise and hear her tell the story of her mom and the Orange incident and also what it was like for her to see Adam Lorraine Warren on TV and the Amnieville horror came out and all that stuff, because you know Amnieville horror that was a huge craze in the seventies. You know that that was a big deal. I don't know. I think it's I think it's a fun thing to ask, but her answer may surprise you anyway. As always, please rate the show five stars on Apple Podcasts, and if you have a ghost story, you could leave it in a review, or you could just say something nice or not say anything at all. You could also put a ghost story in the Facebook group ghosted by ros dress Falas or send me an email at ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. If you want to be on a listener episode, put in the subject line of the email listener episode. I'm also on Cameo rozjezz Velaz, Instagram, Rose Hernandez, and uh yeah, tell your friends about the show. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me. Okay, bye.
Speaker 2: Stars a podcast network