Speaker 1: Mother Knows Death starring Nicole and Jemmy and Maria qk Hi. Everyone. Welcome to Mother Knows Death. This week's story of the week is a seventy seven year old murder, but it's it's still in the headlines because it hasn't been solved yet. Where you want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this past Monday, January fifteenth is the seventy seventh anniversary of the Black Dahlia murder. For those of you who are not familiar, you must not be a true crime fan because this is one of the most famous true crime cases of all. This twenty two year old woman, Elizabeth Short. Her body was found cut in half, drained of blood, organs moved around a smile carved into her face. Very disturbing case to see this poor woman and her child walked upon the scene, thought it was a mannequin lying in the ground, only to realize it was this woman. So this case was in Los Angeles in nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 1: It has gone.
Speaker 2: It is the one of the oldest popular cold cases in true crime history. There's much speculation about who committed the crime and how it was done, but it's kind of been all over the place, and there's no conclusive answers, and now that I think it's safe to say that whoever killed this poor woman is probably dead. This case will never really officially be solved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so we did since it was that seventy seventh anniversary, we are doing in the gross room a two part high profile death dis section, going through all of the details of the case exactly what happened. So that's what we did this week, and then next week we're going to go over the autopsy, what they found in the autopsy and why that was significant, and also we're going to talk about the investigation and why it's still a cold case. I think one of the most shocking parts of the investigation is that there is a man who is convinced that his father killed this woman, and he has a pretty convincing story. But then there was another book written about another person who also there is a very convincing story that he was the one that killed her too. But just even to read the autopsy report and just about the details of this case, it's very very disturbing how this woman was killed, and she was killed in such a way that with such precision that they believe it was a person that had medical or anatomy knowledge as far as how well she was dissected basically, and just other disturbing parts of the case. She had a tattoo on her leg apparently that was carved out and show into her vagina. And she had, like Maria said, a smile carved into her face, which is called a Glasgow smile. And it's a very specific injury that was common in the early or the twenties, early twentieth century with gangs, and it still continues today. But it's when you cut someone from the corner of their mouth to their ear and it creates a smile. And the thought is is that you torture the person and you either punch them, kick them in the genital, stab them, or do something to make them scream, and when they scream, this incision rips open even further, causing really horrible scars if you actually survive it. But I thought that that was one of the most interesting parts of this case because of the time period it happened. What's the significance of that when it was popular in another country and it really wasn't a popular thing to do here. The whole case is just it is so bizarre and it's sad that she'll never get justice, you know. But another interesting thing, though, is that she really wanted to be a Hollywood actress and she's she became super famous in her death, which is an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very sad, and an element I wanted to talk to you about is even though they've narrowed it down to a few suspects who each have convincing cases of why they're involved, so many people came forward and confess to this crime. And I would love to have our friend of the show, doctor Shaham das on soon to kind of talk about the psychology of why there's all these false confessions to crimes. We see this a lot with a lot of popular cases that just people will come forward and make this confession that have nothing to do with it, and it's so bizarre to me that they're fending off sometimes hundreds of fake confessions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That actually that happened with John Bena Ramsey, remember some guy. Yeah, that is true. We should make a note to talk to Sean about that and see what he thinks, because it is very weird that I don't know if it's just people that are lost that want some kind of notoriety or something. But yeah, why would you confess to something that you didn't do and then possibly go to jail for it when you didn't do it. It's it's just like kind of a weird thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's really a bummer because even if the man that came forward that was a retired LAPD detective, he had said in an interview that he collected so much evidence that he brought it to his friends at the district attorney, and they said that there was enough evidence that if his father was still alive, they would have brought the case to trial, saying that though it doesn't necessarily mean that that man would have been convicted. So it's even though we could potentially figure out who did it with all this like online sleuthing and having all these people reopen this case, it doesn't really matter because whoever murdered her is now probably more than away with this.
Speaker 1: Yeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they got away with it. So her crime is just never going to be solved and we're never going to know why she was killed and why it was so gruesome and horrific. We just don't see cases of this level that often fortunately, but it's really sad to see that she became famous in the most negative way. And this case is definitely really intriguing, and I'd be interested to see if just more information trickles out over the years.
Speaker 1: We don't have any that many cases in the celebrity section this week. Well there was a lot of repeat stories about just Shannon Dougherty and but it's we don't need to document every single, every single moment of these people's lives and their anticipated deaths. But one story that stock out to us this week was that an actor from All My Children who was only fifty years old died. Do you want to talk about him? His name's Alec Mooser, Alec Muser. Did you watch this show when it was on All My Children? Yeah no, but like my mom did, how old? But how old could he have been on it? Because it was out when I was a little kid. I mean they're talking about this the soap opera.
Speaker 2: This is the show that Kelly Rippa met her husband Mark and Swilas on they're both on this show.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, Like my my mom watched one of them, but like one of my friends growing up, her parents watched one of them too, like all the time it was really weird. I just never got into them. I thought they were so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was on in the nineties. But anyway, this guy, just Alec Muser, just died and he was fifty years old, which is so young to die. His fiance is saying he had a severe case of COVID prior to his death, which she is believing to be relevant to why he's dead. But we're still pending an official cause of death, pending autopsy results. But he is very young to have just suddenly died.
Speaker 1: Yet she said that he had he was fully vaccinated and boosted and all that stuff. But the autopsy will tell. I think it's weird that she's saying I think that's why he died, because I'm like, wouldn't you know that he was in the hospital and what they have told you that was why he died. I don't know. Well, yeah, i mean I'm assuming it. They're they're engaged that she was involved in the process. But yeah, I mean, the autopsy will tell. They'll take sections of the long and they'll do viral testing and they'll be able to figure out if just because even if he is positive with COVID, that doesn't mean that that's what killed him. So they're gonna have to see if that was his cause of death or maybe, because not only does it cause like a severe pneumonia, but it also could cause clotting issues and stuff.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: So they'll they'll see all that at autopsy, So we'll we'll report back.
Speaker 2: To you when we get the results on that. Yeah, and he died at his home, so I'm not really sure. They were also saying that he had just posted a couple of days before that he was surfing. As we know with social media, you could definitely be surfing and wait like four months to post a picture, so it doesn't necessarily mean that surfing that day. But it is sad to see that he was possibly going through a really hard time and really sick and then suddenly died and maybe the COVID kind of just just knocked them off, and he had some other underlying condition that we're just not aware of.
Speaker 1: So we'll let everybody. Yeah, and I'm not sure if I would use the word severe COVID if he wasn't even hospitalized for it. He just maybe he just had a bad cold. I don't know, but whatever. Yeah, like there's no sense of speculating. We'll find out eventually. All right, freak accidents this week. This one is something that I really always think looks so beautiful in the air and want to do it, but I'm scared to death for this very reason. So new fear unlocked.
Speaker 2: And new thing I learned also is that you could skydive out of a hot air balloon.
Speaker 1: But that's not even the problem in this case. I didn't I didn't know that either, and I was just like, people are crazy. I'm just not I'm not that breeze.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So thirteen people were on board of this hot air balloon in the Arizona Desert. Eight of those were skydivers that successfully jumped out and completed their journey shortly after the real issue began. So something happened that caused the balloon to crash into the desert terrain and the five remaining people on board. Out of the five remaining people on board, four of them died and one is in critical condition.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't want to I don't want to survive something like that. I guess there's different ways that you can die. You can get I think one got like wrapped up in electrical wires a couple of years, yeah, right, which I don't even want to think about that, but there could be fires and just blunt trauma from from a really high height. Kind of surprised that someone even did survive, but maybe they won't even pull through. I don't know. I mean, hopefully they do, but I can't imagine what their story is gonna be telling this. It's so it's just so scary. But I mean, if you ever look at them up in the air, they just look so cool and so beautiful, and obviously so many people do it all the time and they don't have any problems. But it's just it's just kind of this thing that doesn't need to exist, and it's a huge risk. And I don't know, but I imagine that if you actually did it, Like what if you go up and you freak out so bad because you're so high and you're like in the corner of the basket crying. Okay, that's what I picture I would be doing.
Speaker 2: So I have this like pop culture moment ingrained in my brain, which is remember I used to watch as a little kid that Amanda Show with Amanda Bindes which is a little kid. There is this get on that show where her mom was lost in a hot air balloon somewhere and they would show her floating around like wondering how the daughter was doing. And I feel like it was called Moody's point or something. It was making fun of a dramatic show. But I just that's like permanently in my brain associated with hot air balloons, and I always think about that. And then we have the hot air balloon at art at the Philadelphia Zoo.
Speaker 1: Is that even still open? I don't know. Every single I've never been to me neither. I didn't even go because that one's kind of controlled because it's attached to strings, so it goes up like a certain amount, and then it can't go anymore because it's attached to the ground. Every time I went to the zoo, it was like it was not open, so I never got a chance to go on it. I don't even know if they do it anymore, but it's kind I.
Speaker 2: Also remember I also remember being a little kid driving on seventy six and you being like, look, it's going on. You can see it, so as a little kid, it's cool to see. I totally agree with you. They're very beautiful. And do you ever see they do the hot air balloon festivals where there's a bunch of them in the sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might be interested in just going and like looking at that, not really being involved any other way.
Speaker 2: I'm good because there was another case where in Mexico one caught on fire and people, yeah, severely injured.
Speaker 1: Hot air balloons are like they're so eighties. They used to like when I was a kid that used to sell these posters that you would like hang up in your room of hot air balloons, you know how like unicorns were popular, it was like hot air balloons were all the rage. It's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: It's a popular nursery theme. Right now, I've noticed a lot. All right, so everything old is new again.
Speaker 1: This case, this next freak accident is it's scary and I feel like even though the mom was probably mostly in the wrong in this case, I feel like this is something that probably could have happened to me because I just feel like it's it's easy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thankful you said that because I was going to point up as well. Yeah, because so let's tell you what happened. So there was this family in Charlotte, North Carolina, and they wanted to go out to lunch, so they went to this place that was called the Common Market, and it is described as.
Speaker 1: An uncommon convenience store, deli and bar. So first, if I'm traveling and I read that, I want to go to a place like that because I want to go to somewhere fun. When it says uncommon, I wouldn't think. I would just think that they had I don't know, some like fancy or food or something. Instead of a club sandwich, it might be like curried chicken club sandwich. Wouldn't I wouldn't expect what happened. So the mom went with her her young son and they bought these freeze dried skittles, and the kid wanted to try them. And we were just on a trip and the freeze dried candy was like all the rage on the whole trip. So this same exact thing happened to me. The kids were like, can we get these freeze dried peach rings or whatever? And I'm like, okay, sure, and they bought them. I didn't look at the bag. I mean, we were in a candy store. So maybe that's why I don't know I didn't look at the bag to see like what was in it or whatever. But so she buys these skittles for her kid, and the kid eats the skittles and then it ends up that they're THHC. They have the delta nine THHC in them, and they're they're like weed candy. And the kid ate most of the bag and obviously got really high and really sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this kid learned about I'm assuming where the girls also learned about it, which is YouTube. Well I'm not assuming. This kid said he learned about freeze dried candy on YouTube, and that's why I'm assuming the kids learned about it on there too, Right, So he sees these on the counter and it was freeze dried skittles and he wanted to try them. The mom thought nothing was wrong with it. Each adult at the table ate one to two pieces, but he ate around forty pieces of this candy and nobody thinks, which is also just something that would totally happen in our house, Like I would be like, oh, let me try that, and then it's too sweet or something and I don't want it, and the kids will eat the whole bag, right, I mean listen, like there's a couple candy like skettles, for real skettles, for example, I'll eat a couple pieces, but I've just been recently introduced in the last year to nerd clusters, and I'll eat the entire bag in once a day.
Speaker 1: So totally see how it could happen.
Speaker 2: But they didn't really realize anything was wrong until they started exhibiting symptoms. So yeah, it turns out it's just delta nine, which marijuana sales are illegal in North Carolina, but there's this loophole where they could sell I guess, extracts of THG, which delta nine is considered even though delta nine is the component of THC that makes you high. So I don't really get it. But it's the same weird thing with CBD, which I don't know if you've ever had CBD, but I've had it in the past, and I feel like it's almost more dangerous because it makes your body really lethargic, but your mind isn't quite the So that's kind of really scary for me because I don't think you realize the two aren't two, like in connection with each other. But okay, so this article showed a picture of the packaging. So this is this is exactly where the story.
Speaker 1: So when you when you hear the first part of the story, you're like, oh my god, this is like a problem. But then when you when you see the photo of the packaging, then you're like, okay, like you didn't You're like, come on, you didn't know this was weird candy. You're kind of dumb right now? All right, yeah, describe it? What first? What was it called?
Speaker 2: I don't did you write it was like addle, Like it didn't say it didn't say skittles.
Speaker 1: It was like these these skittles. Yeah, it was like it was like scuzzizzles.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then it was schuizzizzles.
Speaker 2: And then there was a picture of a man, and then there was a logo with a marijuana It.
Speaker 1: Was like a biohazard label with a giant weed leaf. And then on the back it was like delta THHC. This is the dose. Like if any person just looked at the bag at a glance, you would know what it was. So all right.
Speaker 2: On one end, the store clerk is in the wrong because they did not card the person as they should have carded them per the stores policies. Even though Delta nine is legally sold in northl Okay.
Speaker 1: But what if this lady was forty five years old? Like, do you have to card people? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, they're I believe with alcohol, if anybody, well, I know, with alcohol, at least in our area, if somebody's under thirty years old, you have to card them if you think they look under thirty, not under twenty one, under thirty. So I don't know if it's the same with weed. I feel like with weed, everybody has to get carded, no matter if they're ninety five years old. But maybe this person was like, I'm definitely safe because this person's of age. They didn't say anything. That's not their problem to be, like, you know you're buying weed candy right because the package is clear as day that it's a marijuana faced product. So I'm sorry, but I'm just I'm not siding with this lady on this.
Speaker 1: It's just because we travel, you know, not a lot, but we travel with the kids and stuff, and it's like, I I don't know, I personally wouldn't think that a convenience store would just sell that kind of stuff on the edge. But I also don't know if I would just like let them have something that wasn't like a familiar brand or something. I don't know, but maybe maybe I would. That's why I say, like, eh, this they're saying.
Speaker 2: Only they're saying only after the kids started exhibiting symptoms did somebody in the family member read the packaging and.
Speaker 1: Discover what it was. It is funny though, that they were saying that. A bunch of adults at the table, so they were passing around this bag and not one person was like like, wait, why is there a giant weed leaf on here? And why isn't it called skittles. It's called like skizze it whatever it was called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like uh, yeah, I And I'm sorry, but if you've ever had any candy or anything that has weed in it, no matter how delicious it is, it has that gross tinge.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, and I guess it just does not taste. The mom said that the kids started having all these symptoms and she was like blowing them off, saying, you have to go to the bathroom or something, and then the kid said something that the water didn't taste right, and then she said that she had heard that that was a sign of poisoning and that's when she was like, oh my god, I gotta take this kid to the hospital, and took the kid to the hospital.
Speaker 2: So at the hospital he slept for seventy hours straight and so he was released. So it is a shame because a six year old should not be getting high. But I think we could agree that both sides have some wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think it's it's funny, like it's a funny kid's story. It'll be like, oh, remember that time, like mom got me high, one of those yeah, one of those good kids stories. But luckily we could like laugh about this because the kid just ended up sleeping for a whole day and like he's fine. But it is it's scary in the sense that, like how easily we talked about this with that when we were talking about poisonings and everything, that how scary it is that people can give you drugs, poison and you eat it very you trust that what you're eating. And I mean, the kid was poisoned essentially, and that's scary, and luckily it all worked out well. But yeah, I'm good. I am this. I am good. I listen, if this happened to me, I'd be super embarrassed. About it, and I wouldn't be going on TikTok being like, listen, I'm a horrible mom, like I let my kids eat some shit. I didn't even read the bag. Whatever. Well, but I'm glad she think she was going on.
Speaker 2: I think she was going on TikTok as like a PSA. But it's like, lady, you didn't read the lady, so what do you? And they're called like scazittals, they're not regular can Yeah, it looks it looks exactly like every other type of Yeah, it's like it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't the bag like like like a brown bag color with an like you just don't normally buy candy that looks like that. I don't know, listen, like you, I don't know what to say. I don't want to completely blame her because I think the same thing could probably happen to me. I'm glad she told everybody, so now people no, all right. So the next story in freak accidents is another one that has a happy ending, Thank god. This mom was driving around with her daughter in the back seat and a tire popped off of a car and that was going in the opposite direction and went over the median and smashed into the windshield. Luckily it hit on the passenger side of the windshield, and luckily the child was in the back seat of the car. Guess who I sent this story to today? Who Gabe? Because he always puts lets the kids drive in the front seat when I'm not in the car, and it drives me fucking crazy because I'm like, they're not old enough, they shouldn't be sitting there, and but he wants to be like dad hero of the year when he picks the kids up.
Speaker 3: From school and like, ooh, I let you sit in the front and your mom doesn't you know whatever, But this is They said that the police were like, thank god she was in the back seat because the windshield the most damage was right to the passenger seat, And well, yeah, scary.
Speaker 2: They always asked me to sit in the front seat when I drive them, but I'm still scared of you, so I.
Speaker 1: I say, I always say no, like if we're which it's it's stupid for going to softball. That's like around the block, Like I'll be like, okay, you guys could, which is just dumb because an accident can happen anytime. But I will even go on a major road because I'm just I always just go down a rabbit hole and stuff, and there's just no reason for it. That's if it's like, oh, we have too many kids and this and that. If there was like a reason for it, it would make more sense. But I don't know. And but one of the reasons I wanted to put this story in here is because when when I was in PA school, one of my friends LP, she was at the Medical Examiners rotating there, and there was a case of this happening on ninety five in Philly. A tire popped off of a car or maybe it was a truck, I don't know what it was, but it went over the median and hit the windshield and the guy was driving and it like knocked his head off. It was that hard, like he obviously he went to the Medical Examiner's office and he was dead, and apparently it seemed like his wife was in the car and witnessed it, and just just terrible. And it's always been a fear of mind since LP told me about that autopsy, because you know, it happened on a highway that we travel to all the time. It was like right near the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is some total like final destination death, like so weird, horrible, but at least in this case these two were okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and their car and you need to look up the article and look at their car because you would be like, holy shit, Like how scary is that?
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by stink Bomb. That and s Day is less than a month away, and stink Bomb has a variety of options as the perfect little gift for a loved one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't really know what to get someone in your life, especially someone that has a stinky job like a nurse, a doctor, anyone that works in the hospital really or even more important, like a new parent that's changing diapers. This would be a hilarious gift to get a new dad who is just totally skeeped out by changing a diaper.
Speaker 2: Yes, stink Bomb has a variety of different gift packs. They have the Mom pack, the Dad pack. They have a fruit basket, which would be super cute to give someone. They have a happy hour with a Moscow Mule, irish cream, Pina Colada bourbon flavor. There's really a cent for everybody, So check out stinkbombodor blocker dot com and use kid MKD fifteen.
Speaker 1: Thanks stink Bomb.
Speaker 2: Let's get started with violent crimes. I feel like we should have an asshole of the Week category because we have just certain stories where these people are just so unbelievable and I can't believe that these are even things that really happen. Yeah, this lady definitely deserves Asshole of the Week for sure. So this happened in June of twenty twenty three. This woman was living with her boyfriend in Newcastle, Pennsylvania. The boyfriend had visitation rights of his eighteen month old daughter that weekend, so he goes out to the store and the girlfriend calls and says something's wrong with the baby. When the guy returns home, the baby's unresponsive. Nine one one's called and the baby's rest to the hospital. Four days later, the baby dies, So the girlfriend says that the child had hit her head quote, cramped up and fell off the bed and therefore became unresponsive. The autopsy showed, however, that the child had ingested numerous water beads along with button sheep batteries and metal screw months before she died, and then determined that her cause of death had been from consuming acidtone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this this not only is this lady an asshole, but she's a stupid she's stupid. She's a stupid ass this pop Boop popa would say. She So they started unraveling what happened to the child, because number one, if you said that a kid hit them their head, and you do the all time and there's not a single bump on their head, then it's going to be a little bit suspicious. But on top of that, she had all of these crazy searches on the Internet, and she was looking for things that were common household items that were dangerous and harmful to children, looking for toys that would are harmful for children, And she was really doing research to find out how she could accidentally kill this kid. And so let me tell you about some of the things that they found her. In her blood, obviously, she had a fatal level of acetone, which is a common chemical that used to take off now polish, so that they figured out that this woman was feeding this child acetone or now polish remover. And then the other things that they found were the button batteries. So when a child in just these button batteries, they can erode inside of the GI track can cause a perforation and ultimately cause death. And these are like the little tiny silver batteries that they're called button batteries because they are the size of a button and they're common in like little remote controls and stuff. And that's why you shouldn't give a baby that because if they put everything in their mouth and the butt, the battery could get accidentally ingested. And the water beads we talked about too around Christmas time, because that's another common thing that children play with. These they're like sensory beads. They're these small beads and when you put them in water, they expand and kids like to play with them, like older kids like to play with them, but younger kids, if they put them in the mouth, the little tiny beads then expand in the gi track and they could cause an obstruction, which then could also cause a perforation, which could also lead to death as well. So this woman was intentionally letting this child either play with these things, were actually feeding these things to this child, and the child if they're saying that these items were there for months, it means that they that they were stuck in there and had some kind of an obstruction or something like that that they noticed that autopsy, and it's just it's just terrifying to think that if you have a boyfriend or you have a husband, and you guys break up or get divorced and then you have to send your kid the visitation to another house, that some other person there would be harming your child when they're not in your custody. It's so scary.
Speaker 2: So now this woman faces homicide charges, which is why it's relevant this week, and they said when they read the charges, she just stood in court totally emotionless and blank face. So that's really nice to hear.
Speaker 1: What it's wrong with these morons that are searching that they think that they're going to get away with this stuff, and they're searching it like, are you're twenty years old? You don't know how the internet works? By now? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know. Clearing your history doesn't erase it. Once you type something in, it's there forever, it doesn't matter what people are serious idiots. So we're deeming this lady asshole of the idiot of the week.
Speaker 1: All right. The next case that we're talking about is also a really old case that happened in nineteen sixty eight, this guy who has been called the Butcher of Belarus is walking free.
Speaker 2: So this guy, Vincent de Rosa, when he was sixteen year old, sixteen years old in nineteen sixty eight, he kidnapped a four year old child that lived in his neighborhood, slaughtered her, and stuffed her in a suitcase. This is really disturbing because he also joined the search party for the little girl, which I also think would be a really awesome topic to bring up with doctor Dos. Why did these killers join search parties? I know Jeffrey Dahmer took part in some of his victims search parties as well. And then the girl's body was eventually found in the attic of his family in nineteen sixty eight, eleven days after her disappearance. And so first in this case, he went to jail until nineteen seventy five, so for only seven years, and he got released when he was twenty three. At the time, he was only charged with manslaughter, which I think is very, very bizarre because this is definitely a first degree murder.
Speaker 1: I don't we don't really know what I don't. I really couldn't find if he ever said what the motive was he kidnapped her and said, apparently that she was like talking too much, so he shoved it a rag in her mouth. And I don't even know what her cause of death was, but she was her neck was broke, her bones were broken. I don't know if she was asphyxiated with this thing he said he stuffed in her mouth and put her in a suitcase. Apparently it didn't seem as if she was sextually assaulted, but like, why, like why did you do that? Why would you just kidnap a child. Apparently they were sitting on the stoop and the mom went in the house or some then to go to the bathroom, and then she came out and the kid was gone. And the most fucked up part of this is that her brother is still alive, who's now obviously an old man, and said that the mom cried every day of her life after this kid died. I mean the children, the kids. The kid that died had siblings that were only ten and twelve years old. If the dad cried, I mean, like, think about how this ripped apart an entire neighborhood and an entire family for the rest of their life, Like this woman cried every day of her life until she died as an old lady, Like, how horrible is that? And then this guy got out of jail a couple years later.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm wondering if because he was technically a minor when he committed the crime, if that's why it was a lesser sentence. But it's absolutely disgusting to serve seven years for taking a child's life.
Speaker 1: So shocker.
Speaker 2: Fifteen years later, in nineteen eighty three, he then killed an eighteen year old foreign exchange student after he went disappearing after a night of drinking with this guy, and buried him in a shallow grave in his backyard. So his brothers two years later were digging in the backyard and fine skeletal remains and their brother's glasses with the skeletal remain, which kind of stealed the deal that he did it. So then he got served or he got sentenced to twenty five years to life in prison. He has served thirty five of those years, and now he has been granted parole at seventy two years old, and he will be getting out of jail again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I can't wrap my brain around it. I just can't, And really I do like how I see things changing because you see a lot of kids that I think it was in Philly last year, like a bunch of kids beat to death this guy with a traffic cone or something, and they're getting charged. And I'm glad that they're starting to be like, all right, a kid that's sixteen years old can get charged with murder now, because when you're sixteen, although your brain is not developed, and you do dumb shit, I don't think that you do dumb shit like kill a person, you know what I mean. Like, I think that there has to be a distinction. And I'm glad that they're not just making this blanket roll like because that's how I feel like it used to be back in the day, Like you're under eighteen, it doesn't count kind of thing. And imagine, I just think about this little kid's parents. So in nineteen seventy five, it wasn't even that many years later, their kids weren't even eighteen years old yet, probably and the guy got out of jail again, they must have been terrified.
Speaker 2: Well, and who knows what he did in between the fifteen years that.
Speaker 1: He was I'm sure like he was a saint.
Speaker 2: I don't think you just go on break No, exactly. So back to your point earlier. The first victim's brother is still alive and says that nobody notified him he was out of jail. He's scared of this guy getting released. Seventy two years old is not that old, you know. The when the Golden State killer was arrested a couple of years ago, he acted like this frail old man, and they had videos of him in the jail being extremely active, and it was really scary to see because this guy could still get out and commit a crime no problem. It's not like he's ninety five and on death's door, like you just don't know. And it's really scary that they're just letting this guy out again after they already proved that he was released and killed again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not like, oh, it was he killed someone like I don't know. It was a bar fight or whatever, and there were witnesses and the guy died by accident. Like think about this. We talked about this last week. To step the train, those two people were fighting on the platform and he punched the guy. The guy fell backwards and got ran over by a train. That guy didn't I more than likely will say that that guy didn't go on the train platform that day planning to push a person in front of a train and have them die. It seemed like it was like an impulsive fight that ended up and I believe he punched the guy and then the guy fell backwards, like he didn't push the guy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's manslaughter, that's a death resulting in a reckless action. So that's why I don't understand. It has to be because he was a minor when he committed the first crime with the child, because that is first degree murder. He took her with the intention of killing her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Like I just how could you think that a person could ever be rehabilitated that thinks it's okay to just take a child off of a step and freaking kill them and jam them in a suitcase. Like I'm sorry, but I feel like those people just need to be away for life because they're just ruined, like there's no coming back from that. Let's get into the medical stories this week.
Speaker 2: So this Turkish doctor is selling weight loss quote holidays, which I believe is a vagage and Americans speak. But he told an undercover BBC reporter that she needed to gain weight in order to be eligible for a gastric sleeve surgery. So can you explain the unethical nature behind this decision.
Speaker 1: So this medical tourism is a really hot topic right now because surgeries are becoming really expensive, and especially plastic surgeries or cosmetic procedures, and people are deciding like, hey, I know in America, I could get a Brazilian butt lift for ten thousand dollars, but if I go to Mexico, I could get one for two thousand dollars and you get what you pay for kind of thing. You don't know the regulations in the different countries that you're traveling to. And this story takes place in the UK, and they were specifically talking about like medical weight loss surgery, sleeve gas strectomy, which is when they cut a portion of the stomach off to make the stomach itself smaller, and what happens during this surgery. So in America, for the most part, that's covered on health insurance if you meet certain criteria, And apparently in Turkey they won't do the procedure either unless you meet a certain criteria, which they shouldn't do it anywhere because you don't need it done. It's a surgery that's to combat obesity. Right. So this person from the BBC reporter, she went and pretended like she was going to go get this done. And when she went there, her BMI was only twenty four I think it was. It was pretty twenty four point yeah, and it was normal, so that's like a normal weight. And she went and the guy was like, well, I'm going to schedule it for surgery, but you got to make sure that you gain weight because your BMI has to be thirty. And it just seems so it's so unethical to say, hey, you're a normal weight, but gain this weight in order to get this surgery done so I could get paid. And the thing is is that in the UK, this report was saying that it's between ten and fifteen thousand with their money's pounds, right, yeah, ten to fifteen thousand pounds to get the surgery done in the UK. But in Turkey you could get the same surgery done for two thousand pounds. So they were just going undercover to be like, well, what's going on at these at these shady like things, right, And she said that she went for the consultation and She said that her BMI was twenty one. She said they never waited, they never asked anything. So it looks like this whole entire thing is to get people in. This doctor's gonna get paid two grand to do this procedure, and he doesn't give a shit a value. He doesn't care if you go home and you drop dead or anything. He's getting his two grand. So he's just telling you, like, hey, I only could do the surgery if you gain weight. So it's it's it's really kind of outrageous to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of get what you pay for. In these circumstances. It's better to like do their research and make sure you're getting a really good practice instead of just getting the right present.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, listen, a lot of people do this all the time. They go to Brazil, they go to Mexico and they get things done and they have no issues, and it's like they saved a lot of money, right. But there's horror stories, especially with the Brazilian butt lift situation, of just people dying, necrosis, all this crazy stuff happening because you just don't they don't have the same regulations as here. But there's definitely a lot of countries that have the same regulations that we do, and it's safe to get surgery in other countries, but you just don't know what you're getting if you're just going on a vacation to get surgery, so it's probably best not to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about this tide pod situation.
Speaker 1: So I feel like when I was.
Speaker 2: In college, the initial fad started where people were taking videos and putting them online of them chewing them and gagging to see how much they could handle. And then we actually have a that knows somebody whose child died eating one by accident.
Speaker 1: That fella forgot about that well. But so the reason that laundry pods are back in the news is because some politicians in Taiwan, they're having an election, they decided to give out as you know how like JFK would give out pins with his name on it during the election time and stuff. No, in Taiwan, they're given out tie pods.
Speaker 2: And this is another situation of if you guys are in the grosser room, we link all the stories we talk about so you could easily see all the pictures we're referencing.
Speaker 1: But this is a case where I looked at these.
Speaker 2: Pictures and tide pods look like detergent to me, And these did look like candies. They looked like little fun syrups and plane pouches. And some people that have maybe never seen detergent pods before would have absolutely no idea what this would be. Definitely could very easily be mistaken by candy, especially by the eighty year old man an eighty six year old woman that in Taiwan that consumed these.
Speaker 1: Yes, and like who exactly, like even in let's say that even happened in America or happened anywhere, Like why would you think that a political candidate was sending you laundry detergent?
Speaker 2: Like it's kind of rude, Like does he think that they need to deterg.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I don't even know what would be behind it, like why they would do it. But like Maria was saying, the photos shows it does have that little disintegrating like rap that they have on the outside of them. But it's like two little ones and one was green and one was blue, I think, but I could see that an elderly person could think that that was a piece of candy of some sort. I mean, obviously you would know right away that it wasn't, but it's too late. These things are filled with polymers and ethanol and hydrogen peroxide, and they're toxic. And when this happening, this was like a popular thing that was happening back in twenty eighteen. It was blamed for ten deaths, and two of them were toddlers, which you could understand that that would be appealing to a little kid, but eight of them were senior citizens with dementia. So apparently that's a thing they're saying.
Speaker 2: They're trying to get these laundry pods banned completely. I think this could be solved with a little stamp on it. That's his detergent. Like, I don't think they need to.
Speaker 1: Does not need to be banned at all. It just needs to be in because you if you go through your cabinet, especially your cleaning materials, everything needs to be banned because a kid could die from eating any of them. Right, you have to keep it closed and not available to children. That's the parents' job, right. I do think, however, that politicians should not be giving them out as party favors like that should be banned the practice of tide pods as candy favors should be banned. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: It's very weird to just give somebody detergent. I'm sorry, Like, I think it's kind of really.
Speaker 1: Rude that they're probably they're probably thinking like, hey, laundry detergent's really expensive. If we give this person like a load of free laundry, then maybe they'll vote for us. I don't know what the thinking is. It's it's so bizarre, it's so busy. I don't blame these people. They were elders and they didn't know better, and it does look like candy. So agreed, all right, This next case is messed up again. This happened back in twenty and eighteen. So there was an Asian couple that spent over one hundred thousand dollars to get IVF treatment so they could have a baby, and the woman got pregnant and was told that she was She got pregnant with two girls, and shit started on ravelin real fast when she had her ultrasound done and they were like, congratulations, you're present. You're pregnant with twin boys. So that was when they first started questioning the IVF clinic like, hey, I thought you said you put two girls inside me, and I have two boys inside me, and they kind of denied it and blew it off. But the ultimate test came when she gave birth to two boys that were not only male, but they were white kids when this was an Asian couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the most messed up part of this was they were forced to give up the kids to the true biological parents.
Speaker 1: Yes, so how horrible. Yeah, going through an entire pregnancy and then finding out quite early on in your pregnancy that something might not be right, but still going along with it, going through the whole pregnancy, giving birth, and then having to give the babies away.
Speaker 2: And the true biological mother to these embryos was also mistakenly implanted with somebody else's embryo, but that ended up in a miscarriage. So this fertility clinic is all over the place.
Speaker 1: I would be so scared if I did, if I had IVF or something, just having in the back of my mind like was that did someone there screw that up? Because how crazy is that? And especially if you went to that particular clinic, I would be like getting DNA testing done and stuff. I mean, it doesn't matter. Ultimately, if you love your kid, it's your kid, whatever, but it's you would also want to know if your biological child was being raised by someone else.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, yeah, I think there's many problems in this. The first couple that gave birth, like the woman went through the entire experience of thinking she was going to become a mother, having her body change, delivering the babies, only to find out that they're not hers, and then she can't even keep them. There's this component of it where you might there might be a switch up and you could deliver the wrong baby, but you raised that kid as your own, and who cares because a kid is a kid and you want to form a loving bond with them. But to give birth and then have to immediately give them away.
Speaker 1: How could you ever get over that? I don't know, you would have serious issues. Yeah, it's like it's like a life ruining event. And plus who knows, maybe she couldn't have any more kids or something like. It's it sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you're going through I think that I don't want to say this about everybody, but I want to say if most people going through IVF, I assume have had issues with natural conception, which is why they're going this route. So it's not only enough that you have to go through this whole mental game of I can't get pregnant naturally, but then finally there's these medical advancements that allow you to do it anyway, and then you can't even keep the babies and it makes me stick to my stomach thinking about it. And then this clinic is just totally blowing them off like this is one hundred percent not acceptable.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not. But they're gonna get theirs and it's it's gonna be good. I mean, they could prove all of it, so it's you just can't.
Speaker 2: You can't make errors like this. They're just these companies don't have these systems in place to make sure this doesn't happen. And it's really this hard.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that you can do this technology and get someone pregnant under a microscope and inject them and this and that, and then you don't take simple precautions as to how not to mix up the specimens, like it's the simplest thing in the world. It's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think everybody is just so vegged out, and you know, I find it funny because I get made of fun of so often because I have my journal. You know that I religiously schedule out every week and all like everything in my life, and everybody thinks I'm a psycho for doing that. But that's how you run a business and you keep things together. So I think some people need to take more a type and anally organized people to be kind of controlling these systems, because I just don't see how this even is possibly acceptable.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you wouldn't put like me in charge of the freezer at the embryo clinic.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would, And it's it's nothing against you. I just think I'm more organized than you, So if the job was between the two of us, I would think me, the spreadsheet queen, could could keep a little more organization going in that system.
Speaker 1: All right. So this next story I wanted, I wanted to talk about because this situation has happened to me before. Do you want to get started on it?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, as I was reading this, a sweating thing. This twenty two year old woman went to the bathroom around midnight and nothing was out of the ordinary, and then an hour later goes back and realizes her legs are turning blue, so her her and her partner call an ambulance and the medic slot she was having a blood clot and as they're going through the medical process of getting to the hospital, her fingers start turning blue as well, and she's freaking out. Nobody knows what's going on. So hours passed and her legs start then turning black and they think they're bruised. They put it on a blood thinner. Nobody could figure out what was going on. It turns out that the dye in her leggings was rubbing off on her legs, which was turning her legs black and blue.
Speaker 1: It's seriously like this has happened to me because I wear black jeans almost every single day of my life, and if you if you're outside and you get like wet in the rain, or if you sweat or something, it stains your skin. Sometimes blue jeans do it too, right, And I remember I had like a you know, those like really dark levies, the like old school color ones, those really really dark blue ones. I had them once and like I pulled my pants down to go to the bathroom and my thighs were like all blue and I was like, what the fuck, why is my skin such a weird color? And then I was like, oh, I saw it on my fingers later, and I was like, Oh, it has to be from my pants, just from like sweating or something. And I'm sure this is happened to so many other people, just not this woman. But it's you start reading the story and you're just like, oh God, this lady was having a blood clot while she was pregnant PSA. And then all of a sudden, it's like, Oh, it's it's because of her pants that die in her pants.
Speaker 2: I mean, best case scenario for the situation. She posted her this whole story on TikTok and it's gone viral obviously because it's hilarious, and she's like, I'm so embarrassed to talk about it.
Speaker 4: It's true, like she she is giving some uh information because like, if this happens to someone else, then they would save themselves embarrassment going to the emergency room for absolutely no reason.
Speaker 1: That's just like a rollback over and go to bed thing, you know what I mean. And look at all the drama it caused. Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So at least this is a good situation coming out of it and funny to talk about, but I've definitely been in that position as well. So I feel like most people that wear black jeans are leggings.
Speaker 1: Totally can really it's true, all right. In other death news, we have one story this week which is a story I don't believe that we talked about it on Mother Knows Death, but we have talked about it in the gross room for sure. That it involves a funeral home in Colorado called Return to Nature that started around twenty seventeen, and their mission was to give people to offer people green burials, which is without embalming fluid, and also cremations. So do you want to tell them so, like what bad shit they did? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So there was the police forgetting all these reports of this absolutely horrible smell coming from this building in Colorado, and so in November, the owners of this funeral home were arrested. Well, first of all, they fled to Oklahoma trying to avoid prosecution, like you could possibly do that in this case. But investigators entered the Colorado funeral home and found two hundred abandoned bodies. There was stacks of partially covered human remains, bodily fluid several inches deep on the floor, flies and maggots in the whole building. How absolutely disgusted. Could you even fathom what that would smell like?
Speaker 1: No, I can't, But I mean technically it is a burt a green burial without embombing fluid. Yeah, but this is where the problem comes. It's not there's a lot of problems, trust me, a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe if these people had stink bombs, then they give.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hope that the police did that showed up and had to and also the all of the investigators that had to take all these bodies and examine them and identify them.
Speaker 2: So twenty three of the bodies were from twenty nineteen and sixty one of them were from twenty twenty. The messed apart is that some of these families had received remains of their loved ones supposedly, but it turns out that these people were sending them like concrete mix. It's it's so messed up.
Speaker 1: Like there was one story about a woman that thought her husband was he was military, he was a VET, and thought that he was taken care of at a VET cemetery and they didn't. They didn't even it's not even him like it's it's just so crazy to think about that. They also found animal remains, so I'm assuming that they were trying to push off like dead animal cremains as as human as well giving them to people. They were saying that this was a mixture of infants, children, adults, and it's like their marketing is like, hey, we don't We're not going to put all these chemicals into your family member. And I mean, I guess I don't know what their plan was because technically they're not doing that, but like what were they doing. They were just going to plan on what was that plan? So just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Again, idiots were texting each other about it, so obviously that's been pulled up. But the police found text between them showing that they were under financial pressures. They had fears they'd be caught for mishandling the bodies. One of the coners, the coners were also the owners, were also a married couple, so one of them suggested getting rid of the bodies and digging them in a big hole or setting them on.
Speaker 1: Fact, they were going to dig a big hole and put lie on them to digest their bodies. I mean, what do you think like I want to know what their business plan was, like, all right, we're going to offer these green funerals like number one, Well, we are interviewing a funeral director that this week or next week, so we were definitely going to ask these questions like when you open a funeral home, like don't aren't there regulations? Isn't there some kind of board coming in and checking to make sure you're doing what you're said you're doing and your following all of these standards. I don't know what their plan was.
Speaker 2: I I feel like there has to be some inspection service, but I don't know. We could confirm that in the interview tomorrow. But also I wonder if these bodies were stored in a building that was off premise of the funeral home so that they wouldn't get caught, because then they would pass all the inspections because they wouldn't be looking in a random place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just think though, even with the inspections, they're not like okay, like what's your procedure, like when you accept a body, like where is it going? Unless they were just playing the part and collecting the money so they didn't have to pay for the other stuff. I mean, I understand that that's probably what they were doing. But if you, if you're especially if you work in the funeral industry, you know what happens when humans decomposed and stuff. I mean you're talking like that amount of bodies, two hundred bodies d composing like that would smell very far away. It wouldn't be like from here to the ext door neighbor's house. You would be able to smell it from a hot like a distance away, especially on days where it's like really windy or something. Just like, what are you thinking, Like what did you think was going to happen with this? That nobody would ever figure this out?
Speaker 2: I think about how psycho the restaurant health inspections are, and it just makes me wonder how some of these other industries don't get in trouble because the restaurant industry is so psychotic with the inspections. I remember this one specific time this bar I worked out, we got fined because our shelves in the basement that didn't hold any food on them, weren't painted, they were just raw wood, and they had to come they like failed us and had to come back for that. And then I think of this funeral home that has two hundred decaying bodies for multiple years in a back room show somewhere, and how they just kept going. I mean twenty nineteen was five years ago.
Speaker 1: Also, like just that, like you're you're just showing up to this displace and like throwing a human on top of a pile of humans, like you're you're you're like missing a chip, dude for real.
Speaker 2: And then you think you're going to go to Oklahoma and you're.
Speaker 1: Just gonna, yeah, charge at least go to another country, morons. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now they're accused of abusing corpses, stealing, laundering money, forging documents. They're charged with approximately one hundred and ninety counts of abuse of a corpse, five counts of theft, four counts of the money laundering, fifty counts of the forgery. They are absolute idiots, And I feel really bad for the families that don't have their loved ones like real remains, and they essentially got concrete MIxS.
Speaker 1: It's really that actually is like you know how we always talk about things that we could just like live our whole life not knowing, Like I just wouldn't even want to know. I wouldn't want to know, like I, and I know that they have to notify you and everything, but like that's like like a life ruining thing for people. Like if I if I was in if I had sent like my family member there, and just knowing what I know about, like what this visual scene was and thinking that like my dad or my anybody was like under a pile of decomposing people in a pile of like necrotics slop like that, it just would like further, it would just be permanently in my mind all the time, Like it just would. It would just be so upsetting and just thank god that this neighbor called the police and was like, what is that smell? And then imagine being that neighbor that smelled that all the time. She probably smelled it for a very long time before they decided to call, because that's usually what happens. And then finding out that you're smelling people that are decaying, It would it would make you physically sick, right to think that you were smelling that in your house.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, the Emmys were last night, and this episode remember last year they made that Jeffrey Dahmer show. Yeah, there was an episode nominated for best writing, and it was called bad Meat, and it was when his neighbor called because the smell was so bad in the apartment. And I thought that was going to win, because I was that was a truly compelling episode the way it was written. And that's all I can think about is that lady calling the police all the time saying it smelled so bad, and then blowing her off, and then finally they're like, oh, this guy's just been killing and eating people for years.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean at least. I mean thank god though that this person called, because otherwise these people might have continued to get away with this. I mean, how would you I think I remember reading a past article with people saying like, when you get cremains of someone, if you've never seen them before, how are you supposed to know what they look like? They actually look quite I would think like prior, Like we watched Meet the Parents the other day, Remember the part where he pops the cork off and it hits the mom's urn and the urn falls on the ground and the ashes are there, and then the cat peas on the ashes. Yeah, that's not really what like, that's not what cremaanes look like. They're usually like a little bit more like chunkier. There's like I mean, I'm not like, it doesn't look like cigarette ashes like you think it would look like.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, like you are familiar with it. But I would have zero idea, And I don't think i'd be googling what it looked like if I wasn't talking about it. Now I'm going to because we're talking about it and I'm curious. But I don't think in a normal setting, if I had a love one died, I'd be like, this might not be them when we look.
Speaker 1: And how are you gonna.
Speaker 2: Trust even if you're even if you sent your relative to them? In the two So they started in twenty seventeen, and they're saying the oldest bodies dated back to twenty nineteen. How are you gonna trust in that two year window that you got services done there, that you actually received the right process and you have your loved ones and they weren't just disposing of the bodies the whole time. Oh, pretty much anybody that's ever been sent there has to consider it a wash because how would you know?
Speaker 1: And how I mean, how many bodies are they getting there a year?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just I don't see. There has to be some mental illness or something going on. I just don't see how you could just keep collecting bodies. And don't you think if you got to a point where you had one body and you couldn't handle the services or you couldn't afford it, that you would have to just shut down your business.
Speaker 1: People are so weird about stuffs. It always amazes me when you have like a couple, especially that two people come together and say, like, you know what, this is how we're gonna handle this. We're just gonna put them in this giant barn and start stacking them on top of each other and closing door like, and both of them were like, Okay, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Let's keep doing that. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think I think there's just something really deep going on, and it's all gonna come out in court because I if they're I don't know. I'm thinking if they fled, they're gonna try to plead not guilty to this because something clearly, something's clearly not right.
Speaker 1: But you never know.
Speaker 2: I would be interested in watching a trial of this magnitude. But I also don't think we should waste the resources on people like this when they're so clearly guilty. All Right, onto our Questions of the Day. Every Friday on the at Mother Knows Death Instagram, we put up a little question box your guys. Questions are awesome every week, but we can only pick a couple to answer. So our first one this week is have you ever served as an expert witness in court?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think that that. Would you be interested? Now, that's I'm pretty sure because we're like for malpractice purposes, we're covered underneath of the physicians that we work for for the most part in the hospital. So I don't think, like, I don't know of any PAS that have for pathologists assistance anyway, I don't. But I'm not saying that PAS don't do that. I'm just saying that in particular, like that's never been That's never been a thing that I've ever been asked to do, or anybody that I know in my profession has been asked to do. All Right, next, are you a medical examiner? No, So a medical examiner would be the one that would testify at court. I'm not a medical examiner. A medical examiner is like probably one of the most highly trained doctors that could be out there, and I'm certainly not one of those. A medical examiner has goes to medical school for four years, then does a pathology residency for four years, and then does additional forensic training on top of that before they're even allowed to be a medical examiner. And they are the ones that perform the autopsies but also determined to cause the death at the for forensic autopsies mostly, but obviously they do natural ones too, because sometimes you don't know if a death is suspicious or not. So the person the medical examiner do the autopsy and say, oh, they had cancer, but they just have to rule out that there wasn't foul play or anything. But but no, I'm not a medical examiner.
Speaker 2: How do we pick guests excluding the people that we already know?
Speaker 1: So I just am interested in so many different things that I want to share with you guys that are really cool, and especially I have so many questions. So for example, tomorrow we are interviewing a pretty famous funeral director and she I have a lot of questions to ask her because I've been doing autopsies for so many years and I never really sat down with a funeral director and had all of these conversations about things. I've always had questions too, and I know everybody has questions too. And then there's just like all this other stuff that you didn't even know existed. So I'm going to ask her a bunch of questions that I have questions to. There's all these We just hear all of this cool stuff and we meet all of these cool people, and that's that's how we decide, like what we're gonna share with you. So we're gonna doctor Shaham Das wrote a book called Into Minds that we loved and we loved talking to him in the grossroom. So we're gonna have him on soon. Well hopefully if he says yes, we have to ask him still. But we love him and he's a forensic psychiatrist and just his perspective on life is great. His perspective on criminals is great because a lot of times, you know, we're sitting here talking about this lady that gave this baby acidtone and button batteries, but he might be like, oh no, she's got she's got this and that, and it sometimes you own us feel a little bit of sympathy for these criminals he talks about because of their mental they're not just like all of them. They're not they don't have the devil in them. It's like they just have some psychiatric illness, maybe schizophrena or something that has them hearing voices to do something. And then you feel terrible for them because they're I mean, imagine hearing someone talk into your ear all day telling you to do horrible stuff. It's like it's not their fault. It's like something's wrong with their brain, just like something would be wrong with their pancreas or their lungs. So he has a really interesting perspective because he's worked in a psychiatric a forensic psychiatric hospital, has been punched in the face by people worked with killers, and just has a really interesting perspective. So we just think of We always just think of like, wow, that's cool. People might want to know that because it's not common knowledge. So I guess that's how obviously, like I have great connections with great people who are like, hey, you might want to interview my friend. They do this or they do that, and then of course suggestions from you guys all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really lucky to have you guys suggesting a bunch of people, which is how we lined up with our interview happening tomorrow. We'll keep that still under wraps even though you can probably figure it out. But and then we have our awesome family friend Michelle that really helps with a lot of this stuff. And you know, we like to offer unique perspectives, and especially me as a lay person, I've learned so much from your interviews with people, especially your interview with doctor Stephen Lynn yesterday. I learned all this crazy stuff about how leaky gut and dental issues relate, and sun exposure, in my mind is blown. So it's cool to really expand on some of these stories that we can. We only have so much time to get into and take a deeper dive on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's that's it. And if you guys have any sig ess, Like, obviously we're on Instagram, that's our biggest platform, but like we don't know every influencer that's doing cool things or just writing cool books or anything like that. So if you guys have any recommendations, we're always open to hear it because we just want to share all the cool knowledge.
Speaker 2: And we like to go on other shows too, So if you think we'd have a good spot on somebody else's show, you should let them know you'd like to hear us. All there, So all right, our last question is what are each of our roles within our business?
Speaker 1: Well, Maria's the boss and I have to ask permissionally, but yeah, I guess I make most of the content. I would say that's my particular job. Is just like coming up with the ideas, writing all the stuff, writing all the Instagram and then I come up with other ideas that I bring to Maria's attention to say like, hey, could we do this? Obviously it's like I'm a person and I'm married and I have three kids, and she's a person and she's married. So there's only so much time in the day for us to do stuff. And I have ideas of like what I want to do, and then we have ideas of like what's realistic to do because we a lot of it is like we're the only ones that could do it. I don't know if we could really delegate it. Certain things to people we did like recently, not even recently, maybe it's been like a year now that we hired Michelle in the gross room, and she's writing articles for us, and she has a completely different perspective than I do, so so it's great. She's actually I feel like she's a much better writer than I am to but she Yeah, she writes about all sorts of interesting topics too, but mine is more for from a perspective of working in the lab and doing autopsies and what I would look for and what I would see, And she writes just from a different perspective, so that's cool. And Maria writes articles sometimes too.
Speaker 2: Maria helps, well, I like to stick to more historical things that don't require so much medical background because I feel like that's your expertise. I yeah, Like I like to write articles. I wrote one about the Great Smog in the in the forties or fifties in England. They covered it on the Crown and that's where I initially saw it. So I like to write about stories like that that have a historical component, but you could kind of just discuss what happened versus getting into all the nitty gritty like you usually do. So that's where I try to come in with cool facts and then I would say, you're the front end. I'm the back end to you all the content stuff, and I do a lot of the behind the scenes stuff like editing this podcast, setting up the meetings, making spreadsheet for everything, organizing the calendar, doing.
Speaker 1: All of that.
Speaker 2: So we both have very different personality.
Speaker 1: Types when it comes to doing things.
Speaker 2: But I think that this flow works for us. And the benefit of being a mother daughter duo is that when one of us messes up, we could scream at each other, but we still love each other at the.
Speaker 1: End of the day.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the kind of plus of working with family in that sense, is you could scream your head off and not worry about some HR complate because I am HR so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's it's just we we just have a back and forth all day. Like even if I'm writing, like yesterday, I was writing the first part of the of the Black Dohlia case, so I'll just scream across the room and say, hey, look this up for me? Is this is this something that we know about? Like I'll just because I didn't know even about this Glasgow smile thing. And then I said, hey, Bree, like, what's up with this this? I feel like this this wound is weird? Look it up? What is this while I'm writing something else. So there's like a lot of back and forth stuff we do. And Maria does all of the the av stuff just getting the podcast together. She makes the clips, she set up the videos, she set up the platforms that we use, She does all like that technical stuff. She does the whole entire grocery website too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we shockingly well I'm sure some people can't tell, but I can't believe that that when we record this, we're not together. You're you're in your space, I'm in my space. We're not in the same area. So we're not in the same house, we're not in the same place. So that's been fun technically learning how to chew that butt.
Speaker 1: And her yelling at me every time, like would you fucking get a new computer. Your computer's too old, it's too slow. Get a good computer. It's like ground hot to day, but it literally is.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and then we we do really work together every single day in person except for the day we record this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then and then the weekends, like you don't Saturday and Sunday, you don't come to my house either, But we usually see each other because we're family spending forty hours a week with your mother. It's really horrible, Like your mom makes you lunch some days and buys you lunch the other days, and you never had it. You never have to buy your own coffee. And let's go on and on about this. You can come to work and your pajamas.
Speaker 2: You do make an exceptional lot day, I will say so, I am very grateful for that. And the days you don't, you buy me bubble tea and again and very thankful. So, no, we have we have a really good dynamic and it is it is really just us too, and then Michelle helps us with some content and other little things. So thank you guys for your patience all the time, because it's fresh shooting at times where we you know, we have a lot going on. There's there's a lot happening, there's a lot of content being put out and that's only us too, so there's only so much we could do.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for your Questionence.
Speaker 2: We appreciate all of your all of you listeners, and we're stoked to do this show and it's been a really cool couple of months so far, as.
Speaker 1: We've been having a great time doing this.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you guys so much. It's snowing where we live and we're having a nice little cozy snow day recording, so I hope wherever you are you're having a nice little day. So we will see you guys next week with our interview with our Secret Guest and our Nest episode.
Speaker 1: So bye bye, thank you for listening to Mother nos Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor and I've not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts. Thanks