Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? Thanks for coming back, everybody. This is going to be part two of our favorite moments from the first six months of.
Speaker 2: Are You a Charlotte. I hope you enjoy.
Speaker 1: And I'm honored to have you for many reasons. Number One, I'd just like to see you. I love to see Number two Lena, in case you guys don't know, is a multi hyphen it. I'm going to tell you your whole resume later and you're not in front of me. But the thing that's important is that her knowledge a film and television is so expansive and deep, and this is partly why I love her. Like when we first started, and just like that, you left me the sweetest, sweetest voicemail. I don't know what panicky thing I had sent to you or whatever, but you know, you're just very grounding. Your knowledge is very grounding in terms of you know what has happened before, you know how things develop in our culture on television, in film, what it means, and as you just said to me when you sat down we were talking about this episode, you said, I think television has a time stamp.
Speaker 2: But tell me more, what do you mean exactly?
Speaker 3: Well, I think sometimes when people look at TV from say ten years ago or even twenty, it can feel in moments uncomfortable or icky, even because you're thinking, oh, well, no Onah would make that joke today, or you couldn't do that now. And what's interesting about that is what I believe art is it's time capsule, really, and it's a time stamp of where we were at that time and what was happening in the world then. And so I think of even though yes, He's are fictitious characters, in a way, this is sort of giving us a sense of what New York was at that time, what it was for women at that time, what the limits were at that moment, and what could and couldn't be talked about, and what barriers you guys were pushing up against. And so I'm really grateful that I got to grow up with it. I was, like am I I was a teenager when it first came, and so I was learning so much about what it meant to be an adult friend by watching you all. And I think I was more interest than that than the love stories per se. But the love stories were there as well sold you about self love and how you see yourself. But watching it now as a forty year old person revisiting the episode, for a lot of us who are my age, we feel a little confronted by now Sex and the City because we are now the ages that you guys were then at that time, and we're seeing ourselves play out some of these storylines, and that I think is saying that the show. You may point certain things out and say, oh, you can't make that joke now, but I do think the show is aging well, thank you, because the fact that I can see myself in it as I get older and understand things better. It's work that I've gotten to grow up with and I still get to sit with now. But now it's not a lot of us are saying, it's not just fun on the background. Now now it's okay, I'm in this stage right now, or I'm going through a divorce, or I'm about to get married, or I'm about to have my first baby, and so now it's as if you guys are still there. I think of art as an inheritance, and so we have inherited this, this work, and that's why I think within just like that is the continuation of the life of the work. And so when I go back and revisit and just like that, I will be as I get older, I will then start to understand these stories even more.
Speaker 4: He always got my eighties is the eighties. I was doing an off Broadway show at the time. It was it was the end of nineteen ninety nine, I think, or two thousand, okay, I think it was early two thousand and I he said, I wrote you something.
Speaker 2: So he wrote it for you. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: But I was doing an off Broadway show at the time. But I went in to read just make it official, and you know. So I was doing a show called The Crumple Zone, which did very well, ran for six months off Broadway, and I.
Speaker 5: I remember our night. The day we filmed. It was a tech day and the director, who I.
Speaker 6: Loved very much, not please no, he didn't want to let me out.
Speaker 5: I'm like, it's a tech day. People stand there and you light it right.
Speaker 4: And I went like this, I'm going to do this episode because there was an.
Speaker 6: Issue of maybe.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I was like, I'm going to do.
Speaker 2: This episode and I went, oh no. It wasn't desperation episode, like what was.
Speaker 3: There was one?
Speaker 4: It was one episode that was wedding as your wedding wedding player, and do you remember we had two scenes?
Speaker 2: We had a SCE scene.
Speaker 4: I remember, Okay, see I love I love so you do every episode I don't.
Speaker 5: I was recurring.
Speaker 4: I did people go how many episodes.
Speaker 5: Did I do?
Speaker 2: I did twelve?
Speaker 6: Only twelve?
Speaker 5: I did one? Season three? Yeah to season four?
Speaker 4: Are three, Season five and six season six, and.
Speaker 5: Then both movies.
Speaker 4: Regular the movies really kind of solidified it, which was nice, you know. So uh, there were two scenes in that first episode. There was the one hates it, the very famous hates it.
Speaker 2: With the wedding dress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't use Yeah, all that's okay. You're you're dragging and I'm yelling at the girl. And then there was another scene in the back of the vera Wang in this kind of little area yep, and I was fitting you and you were getting very anxious as Charlotte, and I had his scissors and it ripped the dress and you were furious and we just kind of looked at each other. That scene got cut because it was at three in the morning, four in the morning. There wasn't enough coverage, and they cut it. Luckily they cut it because it was almost like an argument between us.
Speaker 1: I dressed, so it might not have gone well. So well, they probably wanted to keep you. They probably knew already.
Speaker 2: I don't know. No.
Speaker 4: I remember running into Michael and he said, do you know how much great feedback we got on you?
Speaker 5: I said, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I said, and I don't care.
Speaker 5: I just want to know him. I coming back and I said, yes.
Speaker 1: I need some clarity though, because sometimes people say things that I'm not quite sure if I'm hearing correctly, Like basically sam is saying. Samantha saying that you don't want to be the guest star in the Three Cents.
Speaker 6: So you do want to be the guest.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be the guest star because you don't want connections.
Speaker 7: You don't want connections. You don't want to do it with like a good friend. You want to be like you want to come in and out, enjoy it and get the hell out right.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy that Charlotte's like, no, maybe I would want one of my friends, but.
Speaker 6: That's so Charlotte.
Speaker 7: She's like she would feel safe that way. It was terrible.
Speaker 6: If she tried to converse.
Speaker 8: Terrible, okay, just terrible in so many ways, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I had a moment of fear then too, because I was like, I don't remember any of this.
Speaker 6: She's like, wait, oh didn't I have a try to talk.
Speaker 2: Her into it? Oh my god. I was mortified. Thank god, I do not. But then poor Miranda.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, it's so adorable.
Speaker 2: I remember this at.
Speaker 7: All, I know, and I love I really I love how Cynthia played it through the episode so brilliant, like I'm going to get to the bottom of this, and I'm upset and I'm sorry I wasn't chosen.
Speaker 6: I am not upsetting, I know.
Speaker 1: And she's got this therapist, which like, do you ever see this person again?
Speaker 6: I don't think we did. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He's an older man and he basically is like, are you asking to have a THREESOMEE?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It's so weird and funny, and it's such a traditional looking therapy office where I'm just like, is this what.
Speaker 2: A therapy would look like in nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 7: And Manattan knows it was probably whatever set we had said that we could put up two flats, some books and some books.
Speaker 9: The first time we met Sarah Jessica was at Pat's apartment, which is above the store on Eighth Street. It had rubber floors that after parties she would like kind of hose and that was sticky liquor or whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, I don't want to know more.
Speaker 9: Let's show s j just a few little ideas. So we had won Rebecca.
Speaker 10: And Pat and I Rebecca was Pat's girlfriend at the time, as you remember, went to Aina, who had a consignment store in Soho. Yeah, and pulled a few things, which we still do for you. We still go there, all of it so much.
Speaker 9: And we showed Sarah Jessica the fur coat, Oh.
Speaker 8: You had it right then, Yeah, the clutch purse which I believe she paired on the show with the fur coat, and some little mules that were plastic. And I remember, uh, you know, I always I've kept a diary all my life, and I remember writing in my diary that Pat and Sarah Jessica were so excited because they were going to not wear pantyhose.
Speaker 2: Aha. That was a major major point.
Speaker 9: I don't think people understand that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think people remember that number one. You always had to wear them previous, like for me in melrose Land and just Los Angeles in general, like that was a normal thing. And obviously in South Carolina where I grew up, I mean, of course, you wore panty hose, right, which is what we called them back then.
Speaker 2: And then I remember Pat just like no, and she's being like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And in the beginning when I'm rewatching, obviously I hadn't remembered a lot of this, but I've got hose on a couple times, and I'm like, Pat must have been so.
Speaker 7: Mad at me.
Speaker 10: So funny. I'm glad that you understand where that's coming from, because it was kind of like not a requirement, but women just wore it. And yeah, Pat, and they were just we're talking about bare legs, bare legs, yep.
Speaker 2: Even Oh, I know, I remember those days. I remember those cold days.
Speaker 1: At one point, you know how at a baby shower, there's a tradition, I don't know if you did this where you take all the bows from all the packages and.
Speaker 11: You make something in your head, yes, did you do this? No, my baby, my water broke it my baby shower.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's like a TV show, No, I know, what did you do?
Speaker 6: I went to the hospital. Did everyone panic? Everybody panicked?
Speaker 11: And they called my husband, who was with some of the other guy thing like coming a beer on the corner. And we were here in New York on the I mean we lived here on the rooftop somewhere nearby. It was like April, so it was beautiful twelve years ago and like two weeks my daughters.
Speaker 6: About to have her birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 11: And they called and they said, and everybody was laughing because it was it was shocking.
Speaker 6: And there was only one man in the.
Speaker 11: Room, and it was the cater and he threw paper towels at us and then walked out of the door.
Speaker 6: He was just like, I cannot deal with this, Oh my god.
Speaker 11: And it was what was even more comedic about it is we were in a circle. I was opening present right and my friend goes, oh my gosh, she's about to have that baby right here. My stomach made a weird movement, Oh my god, which I guess is what happened.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 11: I have no idea, okay, and it only this has only happened with my first child and my water broke in front of every single person sitting, and everybody's reaction was so different, Like somebody cried because they were pregnant, and they were like.
Speaker 2: They just had and had so much feeling, so much feeling.
Speaker 6: Other people were dying laughing.
Speaker 11: So when they called laughing, well, it was like kind of funny.
Speaker 6: Because also I was like, what is that happening?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 11: But they called my husband and Barbara and my sister and I have a twin sister, right, We've played so many pranks on him over the years. Oh no, he did not believe, like he thought this was like a funny thing girls were doing. And also he'd been to the doctor like with me the day before where they were like, you have six more weeks, So he just was the thought. And then there is a producer that works on our show, still now works on our show, who I've known all these years, twelve years later, who was so lovely and earnest and kind, and her husband call was with her, Henry my husband, and she called and she's like, real, this is real, and he was like listen. Her husband was like, I know, Barbara and Jenna can lie, but Carrie cannot.
Speaker 6: So you need to go to the hospital.
Speaker 12: Woaw.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyway, so I we put the bow on her, you.
Speaker 2: Didn't get to Also, I'm not sure people still know.
Speaker 6: I feel like it was more no a kind of like it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Saying, but I just don't know if it still happens.
Speaker 1: So for some reason, Charlotte also manages to get a bow on her head, which I really think I probably had something to do with because it is one of my favorite pictures.
Speaker 2: It's very funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, I also think because Charlotte just really would like to be part of this club, you know what I'm saying. So then Laney has a huge amount of bows on her head, at which point one of her friends says, oh, little Sheila is gonna love blah blah blah, whatever gift it was.
Speaker 2: And I'm like.
Speaker 1: What and like, you know, kind of a big reaction for young Charlotte. I stand up, like that is my secret baby name that I told you. She's like, well, I'm just really sorry, I don't remember, and this is such an unfair thing that I'm about to say.
Speaker 2: But like I.
Speaker 1: Back then would have a lot of trouble separating the actor from the part, right, So, like later on, when Big has Natasha like I've said this to Britend, like, I'm really sorry, I just really couldn't look at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just couldn't. I just couldn't like you.
Speaker 6: I know, it's terrible.
Speaker 1: One of the things I want to ask you about is a male perspective of Big here because in this episode, which is super interesting to look back on, because Charlotte was always pro Big, but I'm looking back on this early season and being like ew ew because Carrie is very connected and very open. We start the beginning of the episode and she's saying, like, you know, we're in the middle of New York, seven million people, and it's that great shot where you know, real New Yorkers are walking acard the camera. It's so cool and it looks so seventies now to our eyes now and twenty five right close right, all of.
Speaker 2: The cars everything.
Speaker 1: So they're they're like so united and within this crowd, and she's obviously, you know, over the moon into it, and we assume he is too, and they're spending all their time together to the point where she hasn't seen the girlfriends at all, and we think she's you know, fallen off the cliff. Or whatever, and then cut to he says he has a work dinner, and yes, and we go out to dinner with her because she said, oh yeah, Big has a work dinner tonight, a work thing tonight, you know, let's go out to dinner. We go out to dinner, and we see him in the corner having dinner with another woman, which I'm just like he should have been out then, like, oh, what the heck like just because to me, I would feel that they were not in sync. That if I was in that relationship and I thought we were over the moon, not even talking to our friend's level of connected and then he's gone out.
Speaker 2: With another woman.
Speaker 6: What the heck?
Speaker 2: Boo out the door?
Speaker 6: I guess, what do you think?
Speaker 13: Well, so here's the show specifically, Yes, he said he had a work dinner, so right, a.
Speaker 2: Working I think dinner.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's a lie, a white lie there. Okay, take that away just for a second, Okay, later on in the not later on. But I love the way that that scene was handled. And it's funny you're asking me about this because I took note of it where he wasn't caught.
Speaker 6: He didn't play it like he was caught.
Speaker 13: That's true, which is that was an actor, by the way, but he didn't play like he was.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. He didn't.
Speaker 13: He's like, oh, hey, maybe a little uncomfortable, but hey, this is Bonnie or whatever her name is ew But and I just had this conversation with a friend in real life. Was there an established there was no situation, and there wasn't here was it where it's like, are we boyfriend girlfriend? Are we committed? And so you can't just assume that one is committed and the other isn't. Even if you're getting the committed vibes, you still have to have the conversation for sure, but you.
Speaker 2: Just talk emotionally.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree with you, but emotionally it would really hurt me to think that we were not on the same level, like when she goes, oh, I didn't realize I was in these feelings by myself.
Speaker 2: That's the upsetting feeling.
Speaker 13: Sure, but then you have to take into account the reasons why he might not be right, I might not be well. There could be a psychological thing. There could be something like he's been burned before, he's been hurt before, his parents have divorced, he's a noncommittal person, he's feeling love, he's feeling women.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, okay, but let's say that those Okay, He's a grown up, right, He's not twenty five, he's not thirty, he's a grown up.
Speaker 2: Okay. So she is obviously open to this in a way that he seems like he might not be. John is in.
Speaker 1: The first season, which really surprised both of us. Yeah, exactly, we thought it was like later on in the run.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I would have probably said end of the second maybe even their.
Speaker 1: Third, which I think of as our best season.
Speaker 2: If we have to pick an overall season.
Speaker 6: Episode for your episode, that's why.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I would put it in the best because it's such a good episode. It was written by Michael Patrick King, which you can completely tell.
Speaker 2: Oh God, yes, John plays guy.
Speaker 1: He has a real name, is called Thomas John Anderson, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Because John three names for three das he's.
Speaker 1: Playing Michael Patrick Kings basically and his own episode, and he is called the Catholic guy. That's what we call him in the shorthand to the friends, and he's opposite Cynthia and they are incredible.
Speaker 2: This episode was directed by Matthew Harrison. We don't have a ton of memories about him. We're really sorry, I who it's apologize if I.
Speaker 12: Do never remember the fact vivid memories of MPK not directing me, but just he's such a brilliant, extraordinary presence on set and his writing was so great that I remember him and of course have known him all these years after.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I don't remember the directors. I know, but that's not because he didn't direct a great episode.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, because that's an episode.
Speaker 5: Good director disappears a little bit.
Speaker 2: This is a good point. And you also direct, so you know very well. You know very well. So tell us your memories.
Speaker 1: And your thoughts about the new it was relatively new show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is this a G rated program?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 12: Well, what I vividly remember is being on top of Cynthia, having being in the throes.
Speaker 5: Of passion and having orgasm.
Speaker 12: After or fake orgasm after orgasm, and getting up and sharing. And you know, a lot of people have seen it in syndication and all that stuff's out, but in the I guess the DVD or box set or whatever you call it these days, you.
Speaker 5: See all of those sex scenes.
Speaker 12: So what I remember most vividly is being in bed in flagrante with Cynthia Nixon.
Speaker 5: Thank goodness. I had known her. We had done a play.
Speaker 12: Together, which is the way you get very into it very quickly, is by being on stage together. And we had such a great time doing this play and such a great rapport and such great trust that we immediately threw ourselves into it. And you know, this was before Sex and the City was Sex and the City, So going to that set and having to do such a huge sex scene was really nerve racking.
Speaker 5: Nerve racking.
Speaker 12: So that's my biggest memory is just being on top of Cynthia and you know, and then the casual after an hour or two, it becomes so casual, like what are you gonna have for lunch? I think I'm gonna have that, you know, totally both yeah, naked. I mean we all had. We've talked about cook socks and all that stuff. Yeah, right, right right, And I guess I remember the sock as well.
Speaker 2: There you go. Very memorable.
Speaker 1: I mean the thing about Cynthia too, which is a theme in every guy that I've ever spoken to who was opposite hers, that she has no real fear or self.
Speaker 2: Consciousness about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, she doesn't.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining me to recap all these little moments. Everyone, If you haven't heard those episodes, they are there. You can go back and re listen if you would like, or listen for the first time. And I hope you all have a wonderful fourth of July and I'll see you back here soon