Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast about illness by the sickest man in podcasting, Robert evans Uh. We're recording this about a week after our TV Joshua Part one episodes with the Great Miles Gray. Miles take an audio bow. Wow, what a bow, beautiful microphone. I'm technically better, I guess. I have this fun thing that happens with sinus infections where my nose is mostly better, but now my jaw hurts like hell. It's like a I think it's partly related to coughing, but it happens when you're when your sinuses get completely fucked. So I'm feeling great. Miles how Yeah, yeah, I'm always putting silver in various parts.
Speaker 1: Do you watch sorry, did you watch that documentary?
Speaker 3: Miles?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Any any time?
Speaker 4: He was a crip.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing is people taking quack medicine that turns them different colors. Dude, that's it's so good. Every time it's funny.
Speaker 3: I it's like it's fucked up. But like I was taking so many screenshots when I was watching that that I use as memes among my friends, like just this one where the guy was playing guitar. She was in the bed. Yeah, I said, just like the energy of playing guitar for a corpse like that.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, this is what's the BES needs.
Speaker 1: I quite literally forced Jamie to watch that all the way through. In the middle of the night. I was like, I was like, I can't be awake tomorrow and you have not watched this for me to talk to you about this shit.
Speaker 3: It was mean mile when they were wheeling her through that the whole thing was out of whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it was great because it led me after I was watching it with friends and afterwards we were very much like, well, I still want more cult content, and we we found fucking I think it was Netflix. We were on I forget whatever thing we were on. The algorithm was like this. It was here's a show about like this commune that might be a cult or might not. It was like a mystery show and I put it on. In the first episode feels kind of like a documentary. There are a couple of weird moments and I'm like, what's going on with this? And then the second episode it's it immediately transitions to being a reality show fully, and I was like, they tricked us. They tricked us in the thinking that we were watching like a documentary about this commune that got accused of being a cult, and it's just a reality show where people have to live on a commune, right, And I was like, you tricky bitches. This is this country, this fucking country. Horrible speaking of this country. You know it's not this country, Miles. Where Nigeria? Yes, yeah, you know. I'm not an expert on Nigeria. The of my research suggests different country than than we live. And to be honest, thank you, I thought it was good.
Speaker 4: It connected with the main thought.
Speaker 2: Which was it's not this country. Yeah, it's not this country, but it is where TB. Joshua lived. And most great cult leaders, Miles have a title or an alternate name they prefer to be known by. I'm not gonna say every cult leader, but a lot of them do, right. Al Ron Hubbard was the Commodore because he loved navies and making people pretend to be in his navy. Keith Rniery was known as Vanguard to his followers. I had a beance joke in here, but I really like, why would I that? I don't need I don't need that kind of game. We're gonna bleep it out anyway, like they did in that Donald Glover's show, Sophie. So it's fine, right. So, in keeping with the fact that he was a general creep and monster TV, Joshua had the most unsettling cult leader nickname imaginable Daddy. That's just mm, that's the good stuff. Not like their father sometimes too, but like Daddy specifically is what most of his followers refer to a mass, which is just an extra level I don't know why it's worse than Father. I guess it's not. Maybe it's just like exposure because of the Catholic Church. We're all used to religious figures being father, like.
Speaker 3: Daddy is creepy, right, No, Daddy is because it's like it's juvenile, but also there's it's sexually charged in different.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, And I mean, and it is in this context because like the people who he was most insistent call him Daddy were the young female followers that he was fucking right.
Speaker 4: Why did first?
Speaker 3: Second, I forgot I was on behind the Bastards, and I was like, oh, I finally said, chill, We're just like we're just gonna talk about Mother God. And then I'm like, oh, that's right, we're talking about TV. Fucking Joshua again. We wait, I thought I was watching a Netflix documentary about a cult and now I'm on a fucking reality show.
Speaker 2: That's such a fun cult documentary because like it's I mean, it's a story about a woman destroying herself and like dying, but she's also the cult leader. And it's like interesting because it's a cult leader where the primary victim was the cult leader. Yeah, like the cult leader was the victim of the cult in a way that's really fun. Yeah, as opposed to this, which is just horrible. But you know this is Yeah, we're not going to give you the fun story. You're not going to hear about Mother God. Here, go watch HBO if you want.
Speaker 3: Is there coidal silver at the very least in this one?
Speaker 2: There there is quack remedies. But those quack remedies are just praying until your cancer eats you alive. Okay, all right, yep, So I'm still in stuff. Yeah, I'm still in Yeah. Uh, you're contractually obligated to be. We have we have ironclad tracks with our kids. Hey, don't don't reveal the process here.
Speaker 4: I know I'm locked in.
Speaker 2: We're represented by one of those Epstein lawyers, and it's it's just anyway. Speaking of abusive relationships, let's talk about the tale of one of TV Joshua's followers. Ray Ray is an english woman. She Brighton, England, where she went to university for Nigeria. In the winter of two thousand and two, she traveled there with a friend to see TB. Joshua. Now, both Ray and her friend were strict Christians who had seen videos of TV Joshua's miracles, passed around in tapes, and heard stories from other evangelicals who'd gone to his church. Right again, as you noted, it's very much like I don't know the way that like, you know, back in the early odd's, late nineties, like punk bands, you'd get like some burnt like you get like a tape or something from a friend of yours. Right, it's like a live session from this band no one else has ever heard of. And yeah, that's how that shit spread. It's the same way with this And in Ray's accounting, she watched these videos for the first time with her church congregation when she was sixteen, so a couple of years before she went over there, and quote the whole room went completely still when they first watched TV Joshua cure people. Now, it's one thing to say these people were convinced that TV Joshua could work miracles and wanted to see that for themselves, but that doesn't get at the essential horror of what was going on here. Ray, Like a lot of TV Joshua's foreign volunteers was homosexual, and because of the religious environment she was raised in and the time again, you got to remember, this is the early two thousands, were in a very different period for a lot of this stuff. She believed that this was immoral and she wanted to pray the gay away, right, Like that was her, Like, she recognized this about her. She's raised in this culture and she wants to be cured of this, and whatever she's doing at home is not getting rid of this thing that is part of her, right right. And she sees these videos of this supernaturally powerful preacher in Nigeria and is like, maybe he can do it, right, I'm seeing you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like fixing this guy's like leg or whatever we saw last time. Yeah, yeah, And obviously that doesn't work, but you can see why she would get hope for this for the first time. Right as a result of like watching these videos, Ray Letter told him it later told an I thought, well, maybe this is the answer to my problems. Maybe this man can straighten me out, Like if he prays for me, I won't be gay anymore. And so after she and her friend went and visited Scone for a week, her friend goes back to the UK, but Ray elects to stay to like drop out of school, to basically leave her family and to join his church. She recalls thinking this is what Jesus would have done. An article published based on a BBC Africa I report states neither Ray nor many of the young people who left their home countries to meet Joshua in the early two thousands paid.
Speaker 2: For their tickets. Church groups across England raised funds to send pilgrims to Lagos to witness these miracles, and Joshua contributed scone money himself. Senior former church insiders say later, once the church was well established, he charged high prices for pilgrims to come and stay. So it's really like a bait and switch type thing, right, Like we'll put money into bringing people over here until we've established demand in the industry because there's so many people coming back home. Right, he's a good business man, right, evil business man, but most goodness susmitter evils.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there's no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't make the line go up unless you have truly despicable aliams or are You're just like no, I'm just good at getting the people here and making the money.
Speaker 2: And the line is going up for Scone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bisola, a Nigerian woman who spent fourteen years inside these Scone compounds, says that courting Westerners was a key tactic. Quote. He used white people to market his brand, and it's worth noting that miracles were also marketed, as we've said to other Africans, and that TB. Joshua was an equal opportunity abuser, but the abuse looked different depending on where you were coming from. And this brings us to how he treated members of the Nigerian LGBTQ community. I'm going to quote from an article by Open Democracy here. Hans Lean Davids, who works with the Inclusive and Affirming Ministries IAM, a Pan African network that champions LGBTIQ rights and religious organizations, says that Joshua promotes the notion that LGBTQ people are bad spirits blocking prosperity. Parents from poor communities bring their children that are lgbtiq' identifying to Joshua's services and the hope that their bad omen child will be turned into something good and they will start to have good luck and prosperity, says David's who is a former reverend with the Uniting Reformed Church in Southern Africa. And so again for kids like Ray, the preacher is that like this can fix you. This guy is so much more powerful than any of the religious leaders you've seen in your country, and he can actually fix you where they can't. And when they're talking to like when he's sort of like preaching to queer Nigerians, what he's saying is that like if you send your kids here for me to fix them, the bad luck that your family has incurred because you have a gay child in the family will be wiped away and your family will start making more money. Right, Like that's literally the pitch. Yeah, And both of those things are evil, they're just a bit different, right, yeah, yeah, Which we're just using.
Speaker 4: Different motivators to get people there, right.
Speaker 2: And it showcases that this is someone with a pretty keen understanding of both cultures. He understands the Western cultures that he's recruiting from, and he understands like his own community right and that different approaches are going to work better. Right now, This gets us to another interesting difference between sorry and I think like it's kind of key to note that when it comes to how he preached to poor Nigerians, to Ghanians, to peoples in West Africa, and largely the people he is recruiting from there, not exclusively, but a lot of them are very poor. He focuses on prosperity, right, and not just in terms of like promising that if you come to the church, if you send him your kids for him to fix them, your family will be prosperous. But he does this sort of thing that's very common in the US among prosperity gospel churches, where you have to tie a huge chunk of your income. He asks for ten percent from the incomes of all of his church members, and that will ensure that God blesses your finances. So the way this is and again a lot of this is prosperity gospel shit. You get this in the US all the time. You have to give money to the church. But that's how you guarantee God will increase your income, right, Like, that's the only way for you to make more. I'm one of God's official agents, man, So here's a deal. Give me about like ten give me a ten percent kind of your shit. I'll fucking tell God, Yo, make sure you hooked them up this month, and we're good. We're good. So, over the first twenty or so years of operations, gone perfected the practice of reaching out to people in different ways, and of course the practice of faking miracles. And this is what all of these tactics rely upon, is faking miracles. Witnesses have claimed two press that not only were some miracle recipients actors, as we've already discussed, but it was also common practice to trick actual sick people into playing their part. TV Joshua's agents would comb logos for people with health problems that were easily treated. But like, these people couldn't afford to treat those health problems, right, So it's you've got some sort of you know, bacterial sickness or whatever, a virus even that we can treat, you just can't afford to treat it. These people will be brought in and then in the food or water they're being given, they would be drugged and treated against their knowledge and told that what was fixing them was them being prayed over right. They were gaslighting people into believing that they had been cured.
Speaker 3: So like someone like has some kind of like maybe like parasitic infection or something like that, and they're like, dude, just fucking hit them with the antibiotics and they're fucking yogurt.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: Because if you've got you know, because of you know, the water, the lack of good water, and a lot of especially these poor communities. Yeah, there are a lot of people with with parasitical and with that sort of shit, with these certain sorts of like intestinal parasites. Once you get people good medicine, the degree to which people like improve is it will it does feel magical. I fel like you don't know what's being done right right, Like it's such a quick change, and yeah, it's I've never heard of anyone doing that. And it's like, I guess objectively, it's better than the other thing he's doing, which is like lying to people about the fact that he can cure their cancer because this is an HIV.
Speaker 4: They're like, yo, don't do the meds. Just pray, just pray.
Speaker 2: This is get I don't know why it disturbs me more because it's objectively not as bad, but it is like, weirdly more fucky. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you're completely you're using the their own distress over their their health to then like supercharge your shitty belief factory to then be like, yeah, man, I'm gonna take your stress about this, and I'm going to convert that into just devotion to what I'm telling you, and yeah, staying in line and promoting my message all the while when it's like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just gave you fucking a Marxis cylind or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, or literally like I've remect them. I'm sure that is like what we're giving them a lot of times because it's it's an effective anti parasitic Yeah. Also for com Yeah, and also for of course here's COVID poidal silver too. Yeah. Yeah, I just you know, myles, I just take silver. When if I start to feel under the weather, I keep a pile of silver in my gun safe, and I just eat one of those little silver bars, you know. Yeah, it's like an extended really capsule. But yes, he's eating silver bullets.
Speaker 4: No, I need those for werewolf's minds. Yeah, that's true. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to spread this information on the show.
Speaker 2: It gets a lot worse somehow. So I mentioned last episode that given Nigeria's problems with HIV, a lot of TV Joshua's claimed miracles had to do with curing people of that illness. Here's the thing. It's actually kind of hard to convince someone who is dying of AIDS that you have fixed them, right, because they continue to be really sick, so they opted to go and obviously, like HIV and AIDS are not the same thing. But someone who is untreated HIV it will eventually progress and become clear that they have not become cured, and that that's a potential danger.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: If people do eventually realize that you were lying to them, they could you know, speak out about it and cause problems. So the much safer thing that the church eventually lands on is bribing doctors to tell congregants they've tested positive for HIV and then curing them having them go get a real HIV test and an actual clinic and it comes back negative because they were not sick fucking out of here, you know, right, that's so fucking evil, Holy shit, Jesus, every this is such a different kind of bastard.
Speaker 3: You know, like the past, we've talked about all kinds of Nazis, child abusers, just general edgett. This guy is just completely fucking with people's realities in a way that's a just it's like it's I hate using the word, but it's like genius.
Speaker 2: It is, it's it's.
Speaker 3: And it's fucking it's fucking with me that like he's like, no, this is what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: You get the people who don't have it.
Speaker 3: It's get them. If pop on a fucking fake test, then you go take the real thing and then guess what we fucking won. But it feels like also something like how probably like finance works at higher levels too, you know what I mean of this same thing of like, no, just make it look like this and then why I think it's key to understand stuff like this because it's so easy, especially when people talk about cults like this that are operating in like Nigeria, for folks to have the wrong idea that like, well, you know, maybe these people are not like are getting tricked or something because they lack access to education that people have. And I would hope that the degree of misinformation around shit like COVID in the US would disabuse you of that. Like, it's not it has very little to do with your level of education. In this case, it's even less because you're dealing with people who probably can't afford a lot of medical care. And so the church says, as churches often do legitimately all throughout the world, we are offering medical tests to see if you have HIV or whatever. People who do not have access to much money go and get the test. It tells them they're sick. They get cured, so they think by you know, they by TV Joshua, and then they become dedicated members of the church and give them what little money they have, you know, and like what other options do A lot of these people.
Speaker 2: Half right, you know, like, yeah, that's an insane thing they have to deal with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what makes it, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just doubly vile because you're already you're already taking advantage of the inequity that exists within your country.
Speaker 4: To then be like, yea, let me just exacerbate this even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like one of the most comprehensively evil things I've ever heard of someone doing.
Speaker 4: It's it's pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know what isn't comprehensively evil, Miles, It's just a little evil. Tell me the sponsors of this podcast. Okay, yeah, yeah, that's our guarantee. Just a little evil. Ah, We're back. So put up against all of this perfectly managed spectacle, confused young people in their teens and twenties, who'd already bought into a fundamentally delusional strain of a miracle ridden chunk of the faith had no defense. And I'm speaking about the Westerners here primarily. I want to quote again from the BBC discuss in the story of our friend Ray. When Ray landed in the seething heat of Lagos, she saw miracles. Two dozens of people came and testified to having been healed of serious illnesses. I had a really involuntary reaction. I just broke down in floods of tears, she said. It was then that Ray was chosen. Joshua singled her out to become a disciple an elite group of followers who served him and lived with him inside his compound. Ray thought she was going to study under Joshua to cure her sexuality, to learn how to heal people. The reality was very different. We all thought we were in heaven, but we were in hell, she says, and in hell, terrible things happen. TB. Joshua sexually abused Ray, and not just here, but numerous other disciples. That was largely the point of being at least the female disciples. The male disciples got abused too, but I think it was more like literally just getting physically beaten and tortured and shit when they didn't, you know, do things because he's you know, he's an abusive asshole, right in addition to being just calculated evil. We don't know how many of these women there were, at least dozens. Most most of the people who were inside and have gotten out suspect that the number of women he sexually abused is in the hundreds. I mean, it could be higher than that. Like, this guy was in power and wealthy for a long time and had access to a lot of people. By this point the early aughts, the Synagogue Church of All Nations had expanded into a compound of several full city blocks wide, with massive towers of apartment buildings, a grand stadium capable of hosting tens of thousands of worshippers, school shops, and theaters. It was effectively a city within a city. The women chosen by Joshua were isolated, locked away from friends or family and from each other. They were often kept in total isolation, right, locked in individual cells effectively. Ray claims that she believed firmly she was the only disciple in a romantic relationship with TV Joshua, and so great was his control, and I mean that's how she described it. I don't think romantic would be the right way to actually describe this, but at the time, that was how she was looking at it, right. She also claims that his control was so great that he was able to make it impossible for most of the women he was abusing to know that other women were being abused. Right. This is something you'll hear from a few of his victims, so it seems to be probably pretty consistent. Joshua, like most cult leaders, was not a big fan of condoms, and as a result, a lot of the women that he slept with wound up pregnant, often repeatedly. Dozens of women have claimed to the BBC that they were forced to have abortions by TB. Joshua, who seems to have had no desire himself to father multiple children. He does have some kids, but most of the time he seems to have just ordered these women to get abortions. One of his former victims told an interviewer, if any of us got pregnant, he said, you cannot betray the man of God. We have to do something about it. I never had a choice whether I could keep a potential child or not. I felt like I didn't own my body. And for an idea of how prevalent this was, how consistent a thing this was for him, TB. Joshua's evangelical Christian compound had a secret on site abortion clinic just to service his victims. WHOA, yeah, oh my god, yeah it see okay, yeah, yeah. He has like an underground abortion clinic in this like little city that he's built just like for his victims.
Speaker 3: Right, and all the money that he's raking in just goes to creating this like bubbled reality city to do this.
Speaker 2: Kind of shit in yeah, where he exercises total control. And when I say abortion clinic, don't picture a clean, competent plant parenthood facility. TB. Joshua is still an evangelical Pentecostal and believes that abortion is wrong, but he primarily seems to have believed that it was wrong for the women that he was assaulting to get pregnant at all. Right, and thus he saw the procedure not just as necessary for his own benefit, but as a punishment for them, right.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, Like because they like, how dare you get again exactly unprotected sex?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am like God's prophet, and there's nothing more important than my work, and you're putting it at risk with your selfish decision to get preg That seems to be from the way they talk about it. That seems to be how he treated this, right, Okay. Jessica Kimu, who is one of his African victims. She's from Namibia, says that she was taken by Joshua at age seventeen, raped and locked away to what amounted to a dungeon. He kept her there for five years and forced her to have as many abortions over the years. Quote. These were backdoor type medical treatments that we were going through. It could have killed us. Another follower went into more detail. You know it, you skip your first period, you skip your second period, and you have to talk in secrecy. You'd be taken by one of these elder moms to this clinic of his. And he's referring to part of the facilitation process that this whole cult runs by is he's got some of these elder women who do a lot of the work of handling the younger women that he's abusing, right, because he's not going to do that himself. Right, he's got cult leadership to do. You know, he has had more important things to handle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's taking medical diagnoses.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. TB. Joshua had a ferocious temper, probably not surprising, and the man his followers called Daddy was prone to fly into rages at the drop of a hat. The most severe punishment he meted out was forced isolation, because that's pretty close to the worst thing you can do to somebody, and this was often prescribed for the women he had he was abusing. Ray says that she was locked alone in a room at one point for two years and was visited only by TB. Joshua for reasons I probably don't need to explain. She attempted suicide several times while imprisoned in the compound, but again, that's not easy to do because of the degree of control he has. Yeah, like I said, this is one of the worst stories I've ever come across, and it sure is.
Speaker 3: And like it has it's like any conceivable way to be a despicable person. He's like, Oh, like I'm engaged in that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Imprisonment, trafficking, a sexual assault, sexual violence, yeah, medical gas lighting, like fucking literally anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't want to say, you know, when you're talking about like really bad cult leaders, it's making like a moral distinction, like this one was worse than this one. Yeah, I've never been more disturbed by a cult story than this. This is like the most unsettling cult shit I've ever read about. I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and someone who's like because a lot of the times it's like it's just like an unwell narcissist with like great charisma who's like racist. Yeah, and then this guy is so deeply thinking about the myriad of ways he can control and abuse people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's when you're like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's a completely different level, or not a different level, but it's just a different level of severity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. More common punishments were meted out to regular followers or the prophets of people that he's not having sex with. Right. These would include whipping with chains or horsewhips, the use of electrical cables to whip people for punishment, and of course it was also just there was a level of average abuse that all of the people who lived on scone property were forced to go through. Everyone living on this compound is made to wake up early and go to sleep very late. They are often forced into physical labor. All of these buildings, which are massive constructions, are built by his followers who are living on site at least as much as possible. I'm sure they had to pull in contractors for some stuff. But he's and the reason he's doing this, and this is normal cult stuff. Right. You keep everyone sleep deprived because that reduces their general level of defense. You know, it's a pretty common cult tactic. Men were also given roles as his close disciples, and they were used to abuse women and other men. You know, it's a lot of the men who are his enforcers who are doing these physical punishments, but they were also comprehensively abused as well, as this passage from one of the BBC's investigations makes clear. Former disciple Giles Hurst thirty one says at first that he was love bombed, a term that can be used to describe when culture group shower or a g recruit with love and accolades to get them to join. But when he became a Disciplehurst said he saw the other side. Competition was fierced among the two hundred or so disciples for Joshua's attention, and they were encouraged to report each other for behaviors deemed wrong. He said, Sinser confessed in front of others, recorded an archived According to Hurst and other former disciples, passports are taken along with novels and any medications, including mild painkillers or malaria pills. Permission from Joshua in the form of assigned pass is needed just to make a phone call or email. Hurst said, so again, that kind of speaks to the overall level of control that everyone's under in like kind of the central part of the compound where he's got his closest followers.
Speaker 3: Is there, how many people like lived in that city.
Speaker 2: It's really unclear to me, at least hundreds. I think it fluctuates over time, in part because the amount of facilities available, and like an onion, right, you've got this kind of the area closest to him living around him, and like the most secure facilities a couple hundred people, you've got some less secure facilities where people are under less control, and you have a larger number of them, and you have a much larger number of people who are coming into the ceremonies, who are probably volunteering their time, who are certainly tithing money, but they live outside of the property, and to them it maybe doesn't feel like and maybe it just does kind of feel like a normal church that you give money to and you volunteer at. You know, that's certainly the way it feels for the majority of people, I think who are contributing to this. You know, the number of people it's it's it's a cult, but it's not recognizable as being in a cult to the majority of people who are aware of TV Joshua and think that he's a man of God, right right, right, because like, why would you there's no need to have tens of thousands of people in that kind of control. You don't have that kind of time, you know, like, why would.
Speaker 4: You any fake COVID tests I can get.
Speaker 2: Ye, yeah exactly, that's just exhausting. Obviously, this is only possible because the Nigerian government was a full patsy to TV Joshua's activities. The amount of money he brought into the country was seen as worth whatever harm he did. Immigration officials even acted to smooth the passage and long term visas of Westerners who came to join his church. There was effectively an accelerated entry program into the country just for TV Joshua followers.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you get like your visa extra fast if you're coming in, you know, because they know the officials in Lagos number one, they're getting paid directly, and they also know these people are bringing money into the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, It's like it's not like we're just getting bribed. It's like there is a tangible effect on the economy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is a benefit for like the country. You know, two ros do make a right exactly exactly, that's ours. As a result of this situation, speaking out against scone was dangerous, you know, because the authorities are on their side. It was not until the BBC Open Democracy Joint Report, published in January of twenty twenty four as both a series of articles and a documentary that any of this information came out. In one of many articles on the subject, the BBC notes a number of our witnesses in Nigeria claim they were physically attacked and in one case shot at, after previously speaking out against the abuse and posting videos containing allegations on YouTube. A BBC crew that attempted to record footage of the church's Lagos compound from a public street in March twenty twenty two was also fired at by the church's security and was detained for a number of hours.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, Yeah, the state's involvement is only just in so far, like it's just because of the bribes that they're looking the other way or other people like in like you know, Park, I think that's probably more than just bribes. I would be surprised if no one was twined. I would surprise if I'd be surprised if he wasn't kicking other benefits to to some people, you know, right right, I don't know that we have like a perfect context for precisely how the relationship worked, Yeah, but it's clear that they were.
Speaker 4: Like, no, we like we like tuberculosis, Joshua.
Speaker 2: Yeah, old tuberculosis Joe. So the sheer volume of rapes and the abortions that came with them, along with the physical and psychological abuse of disciples, created the potential for legal consequences. So yeah, TV Joshua, he's got to maintain control locally through bribery. But it's also kind of worth noting that since so many of his victims are Westerners, there is this risk that international condemnation might erupt, right, you know, because you can't you can't bribe every government. That's some you've got followers on and theoretically they're going to get concerned when they realize, like, wow, a lot of people have left our country and live with this guy, and seems like they've been the ones that come back to hell. Yeah. And so how he would shield himself from this was with the use of charities. Prior to his death in twenty twenty one, any article about TV Joshua, incredible outlets would note that he was controversial and they talk about some of these allegations against him, but then they would be like, well, he also puts a lot of money into good causes and maybe so maybe he's faking miracles. I think based on a lot of the articles I read prior to this, I think how you might have interpreted this guy prior to this BBC Open Democracy report is he's faking a lot of miracles and he's kind of a fraud, but he's he's committing that fraud to get money that he then puts into really useful charities around the world. So like, it's kind of unethical, but the ends are good. Who's this? And I want to quit? There's a segment I've got from a Daily Mail article that's a decent example of this. Followers are expected to give about ten percent of their paychecks, and the payments are monitored and people are ranked and seated accordingly. T shirts, books and frames and photos promoting Joshua are also for sale. However, even former disciples agree that Joshua himself does give a lot of money to charity and in scholarships. Joshua defended his church's resources. Without material and money, I wouldn't be able to carry out so much. Huge, huge, huge people come here for support, Joshua said, So that kind of gives you the idea of how this is sort of justified, and you know that's bad.
Speaker 3: He's like, it's just like, fuck, man, this guy takes like the learnings from so many predatory companies, industries, states, whatever, like the whole thing of like how like BP is like and that's why we're investing in like renewable blah blah.
Speaker 2: Right, right, he's doing a chevron here, dude, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: We're fucking the earth.
Speaker 2: I just told you.
Speaker 3: We just put up like seven fucking min windmills in fucking Indiana.
Speaker 2: Man, what the.
Speaker 3: Fuck, dude, this isn't Why are you fucking with me?
Speaker 2: Part of what's frustrating about this guy's early life is it's such a black box. I am really curious. How much access did this guy have to like the internet. Did he spend a lot of time in libraries? Like what was his studying? What was the process of Because this is the complexity of how he kept this all going speaks to somebody who did read really widely, right, it'd be weird if he just came up with all of this on his own, rather than being inspired by other abusive organizations doing similar things.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean you know, it's not a lot of foreign companies operate in Nigeria, so I'm sure. Yeah, his first interaction is seeing how Western companies operate in West Africa. Yeah, and you know, like he probably took a couple lessons from Royal Dutch Shell Petroleum and I was like.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, I see how y'all do? Okay, Yeah, I might be to use some of that in some of my shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just like I think it's sort of like a game, recognized game and like a fucked up demonic predatory life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh wow, I'll take a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: I'll take a little bit of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good stuff. So former Highwranking followers alleged that this was part of a concerted plan to protect himself by making any attack against him look like something that would threaten money that was helping suffering people all around Africa. So basically the question they're asking people having people ask themselves is is going after TV Joshua for a little bit of being a con artist worth hurting all of these people? Right? How else are they going to get the money? Right now? This didn't always work, and so TB Joshua's first line of defense was something he cribbed from a character in his favorite book, The Bible. On his compound, he constructed what amounted to his own personal hell, a high rise living structure that could fit hundreds of worshippers. And again, this is where you've got these like punishment cells where he can lock people for behaving badly. And I want to play you with clip from that BBC documentary with his hours talking about how these places is run.
Speaker 5: There was a steming day that he used to abuse, this woman said. The building of his purpastments, he designed it God, the whole building was just designed to keep secret, multiple doors, multiple entries and exits. The tacase you can use to get to his five story was like four. I call him, Lady properly wants to see you. He would tell you the specific take is that this person should come.
Speaker 2: He would always tell you which entrance to take, which door to get into.
Speaker 5: He can ask the ladies to come try any of the door so people don't see them. You would always ask you when you come, did anybody see you?
Speaker 2: You bea looser?
Speaker 5: Then you grape me again.
Speaker 2: It was a process, a very nasty cycle we cauldn't see it right under our nose. He designed a system for deceiving all of us disciples.
Speaker 1: A lot of women were being abused by this man. I had no idea. I thought I was the only one.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that that thing had happened to anybody else. So that's pretty bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The guards who are running this hair in prison were often teenagers themselves. They're said to have often been like boys were sixteen, seventeen, fifteen years old. So they are again both victims because they're subject to discipline and beatings themselves, but they're also being used to facilitate this abusive system and part because they're younger and easier for him to influence. Right. One of these boys after leaving told the BBC that TV Joshua usually raped four to five in each week, sometimes more. Former church officials. The highest number of estimates that you can find are like in the thousands of victims over the years that he was doing this, So really just like a kind of incomprehensible scale, right, Yeah, the fact that the root of TV josh was recruiting power are these miracles forced some action from Nigerian regulators. Again, the Nigerian government's not a monolith. There's a huge amount of corruption, which is how he gets away with this. But he is constantly subject to resistance, not just in the government but from other Pentecostal leaders in Nigeria who don't know all of this. They don't know the extent of what he's doing, but they.
Speaker 3: Know that he's taking the right right, right, that he's just a bullshit artist, and that's right.
Speaker 2: Yes, and probably I'm sure they had some idea that there was more going on, right, but certainly we're not aware of like the full dimensions of it. But there was resistance, and this kind of culminated in two thousand and four in the Nigerian National Broadcasting Commission officially banning the air ring of videos about of miracles that could not be verified. Right, so you can't publish on television unverified miracles. Now, what does it mean to verify a miracle?
Speaker 4: I was going to say, say, you.
Speaker 2: Get a blue check, this is a verifying miracle. Yeah, I don't know precisely what that would mean. I haven't found good explanations to like what kind of process they might have had for verifying miracles. Right, we'll get to the primary with his works. It doesn't wind up functioning to actually stop him from putting out these miracle videos. It just changes the way he's going to do it, right, Oh, right, And it's interesting I read some articles about sort of the reaction of the Pentecostal community in Nigeria to this law banning video miracles. There's not as much comprehensively like negative reaction to it as I would have expected. The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria or PFN, who had long made it clear that they did not consider TV Joshua to be a legitimate pastor, supported the ban, arguing we don't harbor bastards in our fold, people who have failed in other businesses and who see the church as a better option, which is a respectable stance. For his part, TV Joshua claimed in public that he was the target of the ban, and I think this is true. I do, in fact think he was the target of this ban. And I should also say, all of these pastors who are supporting the ban and who are against TV Joshua, some of them are legitimately decent people. Some of them are just protecting their own business interests. Right. That's also a factor here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right right.
Speaker 2: I found one quote from a contemporary article on the bill attributed to a pastor, and it does seem to be an only slightly veiled attack on TV Joshua quote. According to him, the nation has reached the level where people now have billboards with messages like comfort treatment of all blood diseases. That is unethical, that is unhealthy, and that is ungodly, he said, adding I think probably the fear we have is that they shouldn't have a carpet ban. Jesus said, we should allow the chaff to grow with the wheat until harvest time, where God will sift the chaff from the wheat. So this guy is being like, yeah, it's really fucked up that they're advertising they can cure your blood disease, but it's up to God. It should be up to God to make let people know who's legit and not, which is such a weird stance.
Speaker 4: Dare you yeah, dare you yeah? That's God's department.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's God's job. One preacher, Thomas Audu stated, as a Christian, the Bible is the basis. I mean, we must take cognizance of the fact that not all that call the name of the Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. The devil himself has been shown to showcase some miracles too, so we have to be careful not to be carried away, which is a really fun way of like threading that needle. You know that it's both sides of it. Yeah, And I did find a very fun quote from a guy who doesn't support the ban that I actually un ironically agree with, although maybe not in the way that that Reverend Henry Awonye meant it. Quote. If they must ban miracles, they should also look into some advertisements like alcohol, films, cigarettes, and movies that are beyond the level of children. And yeah, I'm totally fine with that. Let's bad adds to kids.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I love about people with bands. They're like, well, if you ban this, you might as well ban the Bible.
Speaker 4: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in banning any particular book, but I believe I'm fine with banning fake miracles on TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, but I'm saying the way the logic always eventually comes back for the thing they're trying to protect, where it's like, well, then we might as well do this, Like yeah, maybe you do. I mean, like you can find a sense of destruction or you know, negativity and whatever.
Speaker 4: You look for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And so what's interesting to me about this is this ban is clearly crafted to stop TV Joshua from recruiting people, but he kind of pivots. And again, maybe the worst thing about this guy is how smart he is. Right because one of the things he is early on is realizing the value of social media, and so he makes kind of a seamless pivot. He launches a satellite station, a manual TV that's like a YouTube channel, and so he gets over the benefit on televising. Shit. He's like, oh, yeah, TV is not even where it is anymore. I'm just gonna start a fucking YouTube channel. We'll get the videos out that way, We'll get him out to even more fucking people. He is considered maybe, Uh, there's definitely some expert qute in the BBC. Here's like he was the first of these pastors in Nigeria at least, and one of the first in the world to really recognize how to use the Internet to spread this kind of propaganda.
Speaker 3: God damn it, Like, is he ever gonna fucking slip up? Uh?
Speaker 2: I mean yes, but it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah right right, yeah.
Speaker 3: But it's like every single thing, it's like he but like his instincts are just like spot on. It's like, oh yeah, okay, can't I'll pivot to digital video, I'll pivot to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The two thoughts you have reading about him is like, what a monster? And also, man, this guy was fucking smart, Like, yeah, he knows what he's doing. He's got like seamless instincts. Yeah. So in following years, he would become one of the first pastors in Nigeria to create a Facebook account and again to start uploading his videos to YouTube. And I think a manual TV starts as like a satellite TV station, but like they start up a YouTube account very quickly, He's putting videos on Facebook and they get to the point where both of these accounts have millions and millions of followers and subscribers, and this really supercharges the growth of his flock to an astronomic level. By twenty fourteen, Scone has branches in London, Greece, Ghana, South Africa, and a number of other countries and millions of followers around the world. His prominence only increased in the years since the TV miracle ban. In twenty twelve, he was declared one of the fifty most influential people on the entire continent of Africa by the Africa Report. Scone became host to powerful people from across the region. Ghana's president, Zimbabwe's Prime minister, Nigeria's first lady and the wife of Nelson Mandela all attended services. Big names you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, yeah, I've heard of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard of them. So many Pentecostal pastors in Nigeria and elsewhere, or like many Pentecostal pastors not just in Nigeria but in the United States. He sold prayer cloths and holy water to followers. He claimed that the water itself was treatment for a number of illnesses, and as usual, he primed worshippers with videos of people cured of AIDS and other endemic illnesses with his holy water, and then he started hawking it to crowds of people at churches in Ghana, Sierra Leone and elsewhere in a West Africa. Here's one worshiper testimonial on the power of this anointing water. I myself have bought the anointing water and I have seen the miracles it performs. My father was suffering from pain in his leg when I sprayed the water, and after praying, the pain went away. So that's good. This guy continued, It's like in Jesus's time, he did a lot of miracles, so a lot of people followed him. Now we see that God can manifest again when people come to the church if they pray and they believe, they are healed. And I might say, like, I don't think Jesus charged anybody, Like I don't tend to believe in supernatural hearing. But at least my recollection of the Bible from when I was a Christian is he was not charging people.
Speaker 3: No, that was kind of the whole thing. It was like, here's just I mean, for lack of a better word, he's hooking people up, you know, yeah, just because.
Speaker 2: Striking things attached to his phone that starts asking you for tips.
Speaker 3: He's like, all right, what's going on? What's his dude's name, Lazarus? Hold on what y'all want?
Speaker 4: Oh? Hold on, hold on, man, he's gonna.
Speaker 2: Sell me that paper table taped over the stigmadel hole in his hand. That's got a venmo qr codes.
Speaker 4: The stigmata is a QR code.
Speaker 2: The stigmata is Yeah, just scan this nail.
Speaker 3: Size hole right there.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, there you go.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I can get your boy las up real quick.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. But that's just gonna look like five. That's like five rex all right.
Speaker 2: So, like any good business man, TV Joshua knew that both hype and scarcity were critical for driving up demand, but those two factors also have a tendency to make people crazy, and in Ghana this resulted in a massive stampede. I'm gonna quote from an article in The Guardian. Here the worshippers were hoping to obtain Holy New anointing water, which a manual TV had announced would be distributed for free. The anointing water usually costs eighty seti's, but we learned on Sunday that it would be given out for free. Said Joseph Adenvoor fifty two, who witnessed the fatal stampede. I have never seen anything like it before. People had come from Togo, been in and even from Kenya. They tried to close the church, but people were climbing over the walls and breaking in. The police and army were there, but they couldn't control the crowds. The police who are investigating the deaths so that they had not anticipated the number of people who would attend the church and worshipers arriving with as early as two am. All of us were caught by surprise. Police spokesman Freemonteta told the BBC World Service, no one knew the crowd will be so huge. Four people died and more than thirty were injured. So you know, good, I get stuff now.
Speaker 3: In this one, he took a lesson out of like hype beast, like Black Friday, doorbuster sale culture.
Speaker 2: Right yes. And in fact, a few weeks before this, he made an unannounced appearance in the capital of Ghana, which shut the city down for a full day because he was selling stickers for cars that he promised if you put these stickers on your cars, they'll free you from poverty. And it caused such a stampede that it like shuts the whole city because he doesn't warn authorities, you know, right, Yeah, It's like it's like if the president started showing up in cities with his motorcade and like no, no warning was given to like local police, so you're just it would, it would be even I mean it's already pretty bad. If you've ever been in a city when the.
Speaker 3: President's like, yeah, man, we can we'll forgive your debt. First, fifty people here forgiven your debt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you.
Speaker 2: I'll give you like a passport too. How far away could we possibly be from that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh god, God, I don't want to think about I don't want to think that too far.
Speaker 4: In the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're good. Let's just stick to twenty fourteen, when in a Bola outbreak ravage sections of West Africa, and government officials had to go to TV Joshua not for help treating the disease, obviously, but because they needed to tell him to tell his followers from other West African countries don't go to Lagos for healing right now. Right, They're being like, look, man, we know the benefit, like the deals you have do not like, we cannot encourage any religious tourism right now because that's just gonna spread a Bola to the fucking capital, right Yeah. And I will say TV Joshua was a rational and a person to be like, well, yeah, that's probably not good for anybody. That's probably gonna be bad for me if that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, I'm gonna be at the Prime Minister's house tomorrow hooking people up.
Speaker 2: Come through. He does cancel a bunch of upcoming healing sessions, which is the minimum he could have done, but he also sends four thousand bottles of anointing water to Sierra Leone with a claim that it would cure anyone suffering from a bola. The water was flown in on a private jet that cost as much to make the trip as the cash donation TV Joshua's church made to buy food for victims of a Bola from an article in The Independent Quote. The preacher's TV channel, Emmanual dot TV showed video of a man called Joe Faya Numa, who claims to represent Sierra Leone's High Commission, accepting the donation. Numa says on the video that the water will be used to curb the deadly Ebola yoke that is about to destroy our nation. So that's good. You love spreading disinformation about fucking Abola?
Speaker 3: Yeah and yeah, and turn it into a little bit of marketing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of marketing. Now, miles, you know who can cure your abola. The only people who can cure your abola the good folks at who make Yeah, so uh, you know, purchase it.
Speaker 4: We're back.
Speaker 2: Like all true prophets, TV Joshua made numerous predictions about the future with perfect accuracy, at least according to him. One of his chief claims to fame was correctly anticipating the maybe not so tragic in retrospect death of Michael Jackson. Starting in January two thousand and nine, he told his followers to expect the death of a great star when the King of Pop died a mere six months later, he told everyone that's who I was referring to all along. And this is a he does this a lot.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 2: This is one of the more fun bits of TV Joshua lore, like Bob of.
Speaker 3: Wanga type shit, where it's yeah, like, oh, you're in there. We got something coming this year, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: In January twenty thirteen, he told followers, I am seeing flame in America. Just a quarter of a year later, the Boston Marathon was bombed. And although that didn't really involve a tremendous amount of flame, yeah, I think it was more of just like a brief explosion in trapnel but like whatever, he claims victory again, right, I might also say like three months later, four months later, Like if you're saying, I think America is going to be subject to a deadly attack that happens like every week or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one way to be fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even flame like at the rate of forest fires, Like you're lucky to you know, get at least a couple of year, you can claim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you claim some sort of attack or a deadly thing is going to hit a bunch of Americans, you know, three months ahead of time, something will happen, right.
Speaker 4: There's their own health care system.
Speaker 2: There will be a crash, you know whatever. Yeah. Critics claim that there's not even any evidence that he made the prediction in January, just a video published months later that Scone claimed had been recorded in January, so who knows. That same year, he predicted an attack in France, telling the people of the country that they should pray against suicide bombers or any attack of any kind that will affect many. Two years later, Isis militants carry out a series of attacks on the Botoclon nightclub in areas around it in Paris, killing like one hundred something people. And he's like, this is what I was referring to two years previously ago. Just like yeah, like, France is a big country. If you're like, sometime in the next two years, a bad thing will happen in France, it will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's probability at that point.
Speaker 3: But hey, he's you know, he's seeing things he is as an intermediary.
Speaker 2: One of his few fuck ups is in twenty sixteen, he calls the US presidential election for Hillary Clinton. Now, ah, man, I know what you're saying, Miles, I'm pretty sure Hillary Clinton did not in fact win the twenty.
Speaker 4: Sixteen Hillary one. Hillary won, the election was stolen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are a big Hillary truther. Scoon had a response to that when people were like, it seems like he was wrong about this. And this comes from the Nigerian magazine Punch. TV Joshua has set his prophecy on US election was not off the mark. He added that people need spiritual understanding to be able to interpret it. During a service at the headquarters of his church at Ikuotun, Lagos and Sunday, Prophet TV Joshua said there was nothing controversial about the prophecy. It is human beings that are controversial. He stated that his words were misinterpreted because we're not on the same level of spiritual understanding, an explanation which drew Applaus from Sky. Literally he's like, Oh, you just don't get how right I was because I'm built different. Baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's on you.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't get you up to this level you Yeah, or just kind of like the dude from Big Lebowski's like, yeah, that's just like your opinion, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, God, that's good. That's just that's just quality shit right there, Miles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's shiitthousery to the maximum right there.
Speaker 2: Now. By far, TV Joshua's favorite use of his gift of prophecy was to engage in his by now well established tradition of fucking with Ghana for absolutely no reason. That same year, twenty sixteen, he proticts a massive terrorist attack in Ghana, which provokes widespread panic among people in Ghana and like the police and security surface services have to keep issuing assurance as being like, we have no evidence that anything is wrong. Police, don't panic that you're about to die because of what the I don't even there's not even a I think the only reason is that he's like, well, you know, probably there will be some sort of terrorist attack in Ghana at some point, like most countries have them occasionally. So if I just call one now, eventually, I'll be right and I can add this to my list of correct prophecies. Who gives a shit if it causes a panic in the short term, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He made a similar prophecy later in twenty sixteen, warning that South Africa's Orlando Stadium would be the site of a massive terrorist attack during an upcoming rap concert. Didicted twelve thousand deaths from this attack. Nothing that's your called. I think he was getting He's kind of he's getting sloppy at this point. That's what the hell would they do that?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, come on, babe, Ruth, Yeah, you're not them all.
Speaker 2: What would the what what weapon would even cause a death toll like that? That's four nine elevens right? How?
Speaker 3: And like, what's the capacity of that stadium? He's basically saying like a third of it or whatever? How many people?
Speaker 2: Like, it's a big stadium, you could certainly hold more people than that, But how would you kill everyone in the stadium? Yeah, and right, like why a rap vocal haram isis neither of them have access to that kind of weaponry.
Speaker 3: Wait, but what's the like he said a rap concert? Like was that meant to be? Like a specific artist? There was a rap concert right right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm not enoe of an expert on like the dynamics of the rap industry in Nigeria and how it relates to the evangelical movement to know if there was more going on?
Speaker 3: Right, well, this is South Africa. Maybe he wasn't a fan of deantword.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe who could blame him for that? We all saw that fucking movie?
Speaker 4: Right, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Good god?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 2: Chappy? My god? That's the real crime making champy?
Speaker 4: Why why did they allow them in here?
Speaker 3: Also, he's like the guy's a monster and the girls a Nepo baby.
Speaker 4: Apparently I ain't hip hop.
Speaker 2: I haven't kept up with Dean Twards since that movie. Why William?
Speaker 3: I think I think you you may be able to do an episode on them?
Speaker 2: Oh good, okay, cool, that'll be fun. Yeah. So obviously twelve thousand people are not killed in the stadium and when nothing happens he announces that the post on his Facebook page predicting this had been fake news, so you loved it again, he keeps learning he's paying attention to Trump. At this point he's like, well, shit, I can make money on.
Speaker 4: This, right, my god.
Speaker 2: So by twenty fourteen, TV Joshua was forty nine years old and worth I think the estimates of his wealth are all fucked because they usually say ten to fifteen million dollars, but like, he has a private jet that's worth like sixty million dollars. He's in the Panama Papers, he and his wife for having incorporated a company in the British Virgin Islands. And like, you don't the Panama Papers. I don't think. I don't think you're noteworthy among that crowd at ten to fifteen million dollars. No, that's like what their gardeners make. Yeah, exactly, my steriously. Yeah, your daughter's your gardener. Yeahah yeah, I'm gonna guess he has a lot more cash than this. But he's just smart about like he is about most things about like protecting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his presentation of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he has a lot more to hide than just money. This kind of prison harem conflex. He built for this purpose, or at least one of them, because there are, you know, several you saw the video of that, several large buildings in the compound, and one of them that he plans himself, is initially four stories tall, and this is the height of the building that the foundations had been poured to support. As time went on, scone keeps growing and he's like, I want to make this building taller, so add another couple of stories to the top. There all designed them right. All the construction on the property is carried out by cult members because that saves time and money. And he's the one designing the building himself and basically bribing the governments and architects to ignore that, like nothing is being done up to spec and this becomes a problem. Miles. I don't know if you're aware of this, but if you add more stories to a building that it's meant to support, that could cause some serious issues.
Speaker 3: Ata, No, that's just I think you're kind of like on a different level of spiritual understanding that I'm on when it comes to geometry or physics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're a big I don't know enough about physics to make a good joke about this. So maybe it's fine, but it's not going to be fine. It's got to kill a lot of people.
Speaker 3: You know who else they said, couldn't keep adding stories.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ. And then we got the Book of Revelations.
Speaker 3: Praise to now scan my stigmanor.
Speaker 2: For someation. So as Ray related quote, he just kind of kept pushing and saying, I want it higher. It must go higher, it must go higher. So that's that's great. This is not going to end well, miles hot.
Speaker 3: Wait, so what was it built for and what are the building?
Speaker 5: Ends?
Speaker 2: Were stories? And it winds up being six So they've got like fifty percent more weight on that foundation than it should have, and one has to assume other corners are being cut to. People were aware from a fairly early period that the building is not safe. It would sway, like you could see and feel it swaying in heavy wind. Followers reported that the staircases and the building around the staircases would wobble when you went up, which is a bad sign on something.
Speaker 4: You've ever been on a wobbly staircase?
Speaker 2: No, now, fuck that shit. I mean maybe if I was.
Speaker 3: Like tripping or something, maybe I've been on a few while, but like never in my right frame of mind.
Speaker 2: And yeah, firmly in reality. No, yeah, it's you. You would not want to be in a building like this. On September twelfth, twenty fourteen, one of TV Joshua's disciples warned him that the structure of the building was showing imminent signs of failure. He ignored the warning and ordered two hundred foreign visitors, mostly South Africans, into the ground floor dining room so that they could eat lunch. Two hours later, the building collapsed, and the video of this like it looks like you know, if you've seen like nine to eleven footage, it's like that kind of collapse. It just is, it's there and it goes down and it's like pancakes on It's just like, yeah, it pancakes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: If you remember back in Florida, there was that condo building a few years back, it looked a lot like that where it's just down. Dozens, perhaps more than one hundred, were killed instantly. More than eight hundred people are also trapped inside. These numbers are really vague. We have no idea how many people were in the building when it collapsed, or how many died. Really because first responders are blocked from entering the compound itself for twenty four four hours, right what he attempts to have his own people carry out the rescue efforts and blocks the government from entering.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah. From one report quote, some church workers attempted to save lives in reckless and amateur ways without the use of mechanical equipment or medical training. They use tools from the church's maintenance department. In one instance, a church worker allegedly used a chainsaw to amputate the leg of a man who was trapped under a fallen beam. He was screaming, says a manual visually shaken during his interview. He is not sure if the man survived. I saw a lot of things that really traumatized me. Faces were crushed, says Michael, a disciple who was in his late teens at the time. Followers have since told reporters that they were told during this like twenty four hour period where he's kept the authorities out, that some of his followers are ordered to drive vanloads full of corpses out of the compound to be buried in secret. What we can verify is a death toll of at least one hundred and sixteen.
Speaker 4: Sh what can be fair ify?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, almost certainly more than that. How much more is unclear, but like that's a lot, you know, that's all out on its own, a really bad disaster, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, and especially when you have to add the caveat where it's like, look, these are the ones we can confirm because we've also heard that they were absconding with corpses in that night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were driving vans of dead people away to god knows where. A coroner's inquest found that the church was culpable for criminal negligence and recommended that TB. Joshua will be personally charged. But once again he bribed local officials and reporters and nothing was done to placate his own followers. TB. Joshua turned towards the well worn authoritarian tactic of spreading conspiracy theories, and I mentioned in episode one he was generally better on like not being racist against Muslims than most Pentecostal preachers in Nigeria are kind of known to be. This is where he turns on that, because he decides the best way to try to put this away is to claim that Boko Haram had carried out a terrorist tack to destroy the building. It wasn't that he ordered them to make it in a way that was unsafe. And he even he has his people edit together a loose change style documentary that claim to show either Nigerian government or terrorist Boco Horam jets flying over the complex before the structure failed.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, they're doing like he doesn't Alex Jones, and they're they're putting like it was doctored footage or that's what they're just saying, like they have a count I.
Speaker 2: Have seen clips from this documentary and it doesn't even sound or look like there's like there's a plane in the air, but like it's the capital of Nigeria. There's always planes in the air. There's certainly it doesn't show a jet fighter bombing this.
Speaker 3: Building, right, And I'm sorry, that's a Boco Haram fighter jet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that really think Boco Haram have fighter jets. I'm sure they've got some like planes like prop planes and shit, you know, they're not a tidy organization. But I don't think there of carrying out an aerial bombing on the capital of Lagos. I think that's beyond Boko Haram's capacity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, yeah, the Nigerian government may have something to say to if that actually happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the Nigerian government probably say something like Boko Haram did care. I believe they carried an attack on like a mall in Nigeria around this period, and it was not like hushed up. It was a pretty big deal. Yeah, Jesus, So it works well enough. TB. Joshua continues to preach and Scone continues to rake in money for another seven years. He would likely still be making money to this day. But on June fifth, twenty twenty one, right after carrying out a life broadcast, TB. Joshua dropped dead. He was fifty seven years old. His wife claims that he had shown no signs of illness previously, but like that doesn't mean anything. These people are all liars, you know. Yeah, maybe he had cancer, maybe he had like a hard condition, who knows. I don't. It's not clear to me that we will ever know precisely, but thankfully he's fucking dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The one thing we know is that it wasn't karma, because the case of these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely not karma because he never really pays the price. I guess you could say he died earlier than is normal for a man of his level of wealth, but not early enough that I'm like good, you know, yeah, yeah, I mean, it's good that he's dead, but it took God took a sweet time on this one. He has a massive funeral, obviously well attended by local celebrities and politicians. An enormous crowd marches his coffin through the streets. His wife, Evelyn, has taken over scone and his wake. I think it's probably suffered without him, as he never left a clear successor. And I think the general consensus from people who know more about Pentecostals in Nigeria than I do is that he's probably The church is probably slowly on its way to fading into irrelevance, but you know, it's still around. And yeah, TB. Joshua never really brought to justice for his crimes, so that's cool. Maybe something will happen to Evelyn now that some of this stuff is come out, But I don't have a ton of faith in it in that No, No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Seldom the bad guys seem.
Speaker 4: To win a lot, yes, yeah, a weird way. But who knows, Maybe maybe that'll change, Maybe that'll change.
Speaker 2: Maybe that. Yeah, maybe we'll finally get a handle on the human race this year. Maybe this will be the one, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're starting not strong, this is Yes, it's been a good year so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like everyone's doing really well. Speaking of doing well, Miles, why don't you do well by directing our listeners towards your pluggables.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much again for listening to me right now. And I will I will count on your continued support with my miss my missionary my mission church evangelicalism podcast called The Daily Zeitgeist. It's about news, politics, comedy, and and just a little bit of good old christ talk too. Uh So checking that every day. Uh and also check out Silvermiles dot net where you can pick up some of my blessed vials of colloidal silver.
Speaker 4: Uh and you can.
Speaker 3: It cures honestly everything, like I don't even have to tell you because it literally heres.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll get better at like fucking video games. It's not really for health. I should say that, it's not for health. It's like more like stuff to be cooler.
Speaker 2: So okay, Wow, that's very responsible, Miles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll make you a better freestyle wrapper. Yeah, graffiti, it does it all, it doesn't all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I'm gonna go ahead and say it'll cure your syphilis. So don't go to the doctor if you get syphilist because silver Miles dot Net. Anyway, Sophie, Uh, we're not still sponsored by the by Big Syphilis, are we? All right now big s Yeah? All right, then avoid catching syphilis until they pay us.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production a cool Zone. Need for more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.