Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning, The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody is the j n V. Just hilarious, Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building, key clock. Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: Yo, Yo? How you doing?
Speaker 4: My brother?
Speaker 1: Now you feeling?
Speaker 4: New album Glackavelli made second? How you feeling?
Speaker 1: First of all, I ain't just okay, I'm ready just to hear what people say about the music. H No, just overall I'm ready to put it out.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, somebody said that this was one of the most anticipated albums of Spring twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Five Pitchforks a day, Pitchfork, Yeah, for sure, I think of the year though.
Speaker 2: Glackavelli is it? Is it a playoff of course Pox Machavelly or not?
Speaker 6: A little bit? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Maybe? Okay, so what is it? It comes from Covelly for sure, but it's not. I didn't like all the way copy parks.
Speaker 4: You mean the actual Macabelly studying that.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't study it, Okay, hot pop did. Like a lot of people don't even know about the Prince Michael, but I knew about it because I knew about pop I read about pop.
Speaker 5: Yeah mm hm, you have a personal personal connection to the Dear Mama song because your mom was in jail and okay, so we hear about that in the in glackall or no na Okay, so it ain't really not this song?
Speaker 3: What can we expect different from this album?
Speaker 1: And it's like it's more mature, Like I made more mature music this time on his and just fun ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so we got some mature features.
Speaker 1: Nah, I ain't got it. We ain't got there yet.
Speaker 2: So what do you mean more with your what are you talk about? You talking about more about your life more, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's just like everything is brought to the light more now. It's everything is bolder.
Speaker 2: You had a crazy couple of years, are you Are you bleeding that into the music of everything, your feelings and all that.
Speaker 1: On this tape. Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of that. It's gonna be a lot of it.
Speaker 2: What's it difficult to do because you don't talk that much, so you don't really express your feelings. We know, we know your music, we know your cars, we know jewel, your sneakers, but we don't know key clock.
Speaker 6: Let's see you know, feels the sin.
Speaker 1: The only reason was, well, the only reason why I made songs like this on this tape is because I took a break last year and I was just taking care of everything like far my personal life and at home, and like I couldn't do that by being on the road and then the studio the whole year all the time. So I had to take a pause like on music and get myself together. So while I was getting myself together, everything was just just hitting harder.
Speaker 7: So yeah, was it because you was a new father? Because what your daughter's worth three now?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: She just turned three, so you was taking the time to be a father.
Speaker 1: What it was day's takeing time with your father man being a great son, you know what I'm saying. Lawyer friends, just everything. I had to just tighten up basically.
Speaker 2: But you did that break when your record was at his peak, like well, let's go. It was really you kind of took a break because it let's go. I feel like it was just it just kept going. It never stopped you sitting on You could take a year break, bro.
Speaker 1: To take a two years break.
Speaker 5: So you said this is more mature. So obviously you did some a little bit of deep diving. Because on a song Grinch, you say, I've been running while since the Jit fourteen turned into the Grinch? What happened in your life around fourteen that influenced that?
Speaker 1: I just thought I was grown it just this when I really was like full blown in the streets. I thought I was grown already. I was fourteen, but I thought I was like twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I always want to ask, right and God rest the dead? When you put a back to Dolph's call God blessed?
Speaker 6: That was that real?
Speaker 2: Or was that y'all just doing it because you broke his windows? I'm like, nah, cousins are no cousins, family, no family.
Speaker 6: Only five minutes.
Speaker 1: After it was real. But it's like when we have when you have fun, like with money, it's like money just some materials, Like we don't idolize that. We don't too much curfect this ship, like we know how to make it. We know it's gonna come back.
Speaker 6: So, Bro, you took a baseball bat and broke his windows.
Speaker 1: There wasn't nothing, Bro, trust it might look like it was. So. I know you got a lot of cars too, But I know how much windows costs exactly you.
Speaker 4: Look at Instagram like I'm gonna get my bat one day. Reason that's just laugh about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we really do. It's a lot of stuff to just go on. They don't even be on camera, like it's just it's just total little me and all my home.
Speaker 4: We had Ryan Coogle up here last week.
Speaker 7: You know, he's the guy that just wrote and produced Centers movie, Creed Black Panther. Both of us out like for the last or at least month, I've been on Dolph so heavy. I've just been listening to Mad Dolph music and he was on the same way when I was just like, what is going on energetically?
Speaker 4: That just people on Dolphin Now.
Speaker 1: Bird just had a good spirit man, And it's like when you got a good spirit like that, no matter where are you at, no matter if you hear or not here, it's like your spirit is gonna live on through people. So that's why I feel like that.
Speaker 2: You feel like people credit Dolph and pr E for what they've done for artists, and definitely for the sound of Memphis doing cortions with With Dolphin in the family and pr you get a different experience because you see the inside.
Speaker 6: Workings on how they move and how they so as a unit, do you feel like people don't get to see that as much.
Speaker 1: It's like they know, but it's like they don't see it as much. But the way the type of person Dolph was, he made sure every year, like as far as Thanksgiving or back to school, if he wasn't doing it, I was doing it. If I wasn't doing it, another artist was doing it. So it was like it was all the same thing.
Speaker 7: I saw you signed with the Republic Records, Right? Did you think about Dalph when you did that? He was like, Okay, what would bro do right now? Like would you want me to sign the Republic when he want me to stay independent? Cause I remember you also said you didn't want to sign until you accomplished a lot independently, right, right? So what were the things that made you solidify? You know it now at the time to sign the Republic ain't all?
Speaker 1: I don't nobody even notice. Drop a bomb on y'all. The week the week or before Doll passed in Memphis, him, Daddyo and a couple of more of our circle just had, you know, just just regular talk, just had a round table talk. And she was so crazy, Dars says like, if anything go lift, like if anything happened to me, take glock too. You know what I'm saying to the maze yet because there was always me and him and talks anyway, like I never wanted to be the biggest independent artist. This it was his thing, like it was his steel though I never wanted to take that away. But we all we always knew how much money we could make with the major. So this that's why I really kind of did it.
Speaker 4: Oh so you already in your mind, you already had his blessing, you already knew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was gonna happen anyway. It just wasn't rushed or forced, like it wasn't even needing now it's just was Okay, I know wanted me to do this, Like he didn't say it for no reason, you need like there wan't no coincidence. He said it like a week before, you know what I'm saying, so like that.
Speaker 4: And it's still it's still paper rout though.
Speaker 1: You did it.
Speaker 4: Is it a label partnership? What does the paper raph family? Like this mean to you?
Speaker 1: What you just said family, It ain't even just a beingess, It's really deeper than wrap, bro deep in wrap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think most people don't know even when when you talk about family, even when you're an extended family, when you when you're out with them, it's like, if one getting the problem, they all getting the problem. If one spending money, they all spending money. If one's eating, they all eating that. And that's one thing I don't think people really see that. I got a chance to see now with with this album. Charlamae was talking about this record and I didn't. I didn't hear this record.
Speaker 4: What is Nigga balls?
Speaker 1: Heard what he said? What is who?
Speaker 4: He said? Who's on it?
Speaker 1: Hold on what you saying?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: I don't even heard the Daddy Fire.
Speaker 6: It's traunish.
Speaker 2: And the songs that are available don't sweat the Great three in the Tokyo and Nigga Balls and.
Speaker 3: Then and then they said, he on Constantine Niga ball.
Speaker 6: There no song called nigga song.
Speaker 1: He he laughing too hard. You just said you had something doing you don't.
Speaker 3: I don't got no song that called Constantace poor nigga ball.
Speaker 1: Joe he laughing too hard. Niggas an idiot, ain't I said?
Speaker 6: Nia?
Speaker 4: I said, what the nigga boy?
Speaker 6: I said, this. They said this.
Speaker 5: I said, he's taking a different route when he's saying more mature.
Speaker 1: That's what I was saying, that nigga are getting off. Hold on now, hold on.
Speaker 6: You this you said this up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look at his dumb ass. I got something, y'all.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: I do want to expound on something you said, Like you said that loyalty is an important value for you. You prioritize that over love. Can you explain it?
Speaker 1: You can't. You can't prove love. You can tell somebody all day, but you can you can show you a little. You can prove your lords real. Yeah, like with actually absolutely, yeah, for sure. By the way you move mm hmm, okay what that means? You young?
Speaker 3: I'm thirty.
Speaker 7: No, God, what's something that Dolph told you that didn't hit at the time, But it makes all the sense in the world now.
Speaker 1: Man, we can't rush and put the music out. I never understood that ship. Like my friend first two three years in the game, he was strategic with his Yeah, I never understood it at first because I was recorded so much. As soon as I record the ship, I'm ready to put it out. But I didn't. I didn't understand the industry at the time, like I do now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, they said, you got a lot of records with him before before he passes there playing the due man, I.
Speaker 4: Need some need that.
Speaker 1: It's in round. I'm just let you know. It's in round, full project, full album, it's in round.
Speaker 4: It's how do you know when.
Speaker 1: Really it ain't. It ain't up to me, you asked me, I'll drop a tape every month. That's how music got. That's how much music I got. But you just gotta you just gotta be strategic with stuff.
Speaker 7: How do you protect you know, Doll's legacy in the decisions you make now musically and personal.
Speaker 1: And we think the same way. Like before I even do certain stuff, I say them myself, I asked myself, what would bro do? Hm, Well, I just go with my gut because nine times out ten it's it's God. Let me know. So I ain't gonna go against it. So I'll be strict. Yeah, I'm stright.
Speaker 5: The fact that you have a three year old daughter, how does that impact the music for you because she I know, she's talking as she's starting to talk. Well, of course she's talking now, and you know you breaking things down, so I know she daddy's girl. How does that impact your music?
Speaker 1: Ain't a lot. Uh, it don't infect my music too much because like my lifestyle is gonna always be my lifestyle. And I don't want her her just no, her daddy is all the way is like glock. Basically, yeah, she know I'm an artist or whatever, but she don't. She don't know what I'm rapping about right now, you know what I'm saying. So it's like it's just it's just all fun to her. She don't even know I'm a celebrity. She just I'm dead at So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when when you're moving around you feel you see everything that's going on, especially in Memphis and in anywhere really La and Atlanta.
Speaker 6: Do you feel safe being an artist?
Speaker 1: Ain't a lot bright, ain't no, ain't nowhere safe, Like you gotta you gotta be on point wherever you go, Like even if you're in Denver, Colorado, like you can't let your guard down nowhere. You just never know, even if it's not mean few she just happened now all days like shit world, crazy, shit happened in churches, moved there, in the schools. It don't matter. So like just she gotta be prepared.
Speaker 7: All I can say, does Memphis does Memphis feel like you said, no place is safe?
Speaker 4: But does Memphis feel like home?
Speaker 1: Still?
Speaker 4: Does it feel like.
Speaker 1: It's always home? It's like this, there's nothing I just know when like for me to go down there, there's really no reason, you know what I'm saying. My family ain't even there. No more I go down there. It's strictly for business to give back, giving back, Yeah, business, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: So you got to you got everybody up out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been gone. I don't know what people be thinking. Like when I graduated. Once I got out of high school, that next year, Dog asked me to come to Atlanta with him and that's what I did. So, like i've been out of Memphis, I just I just don't let everybody in on my business.
Speaker 2: Basically, you feel like Memphis is a place where they don't like to see their own.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we're crabbed in the bucket for sure, until you get to a certain extent, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's interesting you said that because I always see people give you props for having a great year for beats that fit into like that Memphis trap sound.
Speaker 4: So how do you maintain that being at you? Not they a normal.
Speaker 1: It's really in me, bro, I ain't gonna lie this. I got years of of music in me, like from my grandma, uncles. It's just like all type of music, all type of sounds. Just just stuck with me. That's what I got, Like just a good ear for this ship.
Speaker 7: When you say you're making more mature music, what does that? What does that look like?
Speaker 6: What does it sound like?
Speaker 1: It's not as, it's not as young, no more like it's it's the things that I'm talking about. I'm not just talking about materials as much as I like how I did it first. Basically, Yeah, so does.
Speaker 5: This sound familiar to you? I got nigga balls. Yeah, I'm so running through the.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: Look I'm not ly playing your face at the ship. This is you nigga balls, like as soon as it out.
Speaker 8: So they don't even make that this you know is not coming and keep it smiling.
Speaker 5: Takes a lot of time to wait for.
Speaker 6: Somebody asked the question, I.
Speaker 3: Was not playing with you like that.
Speaker 6: This ship.
Speaker 4: So stupid, said me, said so.
Speaker 1: Somebody else.
Speaker 4: But I like the single The Grinch right.
Speaker 7: Was there a period where you were feeling like that, like you was feeling like I guess, just bitter and angry.
Speaker 1: I was an angry kid, bro, I was an angry kid only because like my pops wasn't in my life, like I know him, but he wasn't being the father. And my mom she was already constraate away from me. So I was raised by my grandma and my great grandmom. So it's like only so much they can teach me what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So did you did you ever resent your mom for that, like get mad her?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Of course, because I was young. I was like, I was like I only I ain't even I don't even know what she did at the time. Thing I was like nine, I was like, I was like, it's it's it's your fault that you're not with me. Like I'm just I was just basically just growing up and mature. But I was still like a kid, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like I'm having football games, I got ship at school. I'm seeing niggas MoMA's and Daddy's pulling up, you know what I'm saying, and supporting him like I'm wanted to stop players and ship. But like my it's cool at my grandma pulling up, but it's like I wanted that they feeling up my mother to see the ship, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So, where are your relationship today?
Speaker 1: Best friends? Backbone?
Speaker 6: See good night? Yeah you forget you understood?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course I was just I was just young, Bro. I didn't I didn't understand it. I didn't understand.
Speaker 2: How long did that take to forgive her to understand when you had your first kid?
Speaker 1: I was like like thirteen or fourteen. I didn't know about no state and fads and stuff at their younger age, bro, Like, I just knew I had to go visit her every every week or every other week, this building with bob wire everywhere. My grandma taken me and we gotta go through metal of texts and ship like I remember the shit like yesterday, Yeah.
Speaker 4: What did they tell you? Did they tell you that you was actually visiting her in jail? Did they say something like, oh.
Speaker 1: She's just like we're going to see your MoMA. Wise, I really didn't. I didn't know. I don't know. I wasn't Studn't that ship your mind? Like?
Speaker 4: Why you rather be heading with me at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like once I got older, it start registering. It's like something ain't right. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Did she ever have a conversation with you like this is what I did to be taken away from you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How old were you?
Speaker 1: Thirteen? Fourteen? Okay, you don't basically when I could start understanding more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you don't mimy asking what does she get locked up for?
Speaker 1: You ain't said it off?
Speaker 4: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It's some ship like that. Two of her friends and our cousin all women.
Speaker 5: The money they.
Speaker 1: Did some robbing, that's all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, make a movie already did.
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 4: From the Memphis perspective, yeah.
Speaker 1: Real, she writing a book though, she writing a book right now?
Speaker 7: Did you ever feel that same type of angle when when Dolph was tragically taken from her?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm still man, but I'm good though. I never I never get older. Ship, but I'm good. I learned how to accept it though.
Speaker 2: How does it feel every time it pops back up in the news? It feels like it gives you a chance to kind of release.
Speaker 1: I just hate I hate seeing the ship. I just I just hate seeing it. Ain't I just hate seeing it.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all. It is, like that she didn't even supposed to happen. She give me so up, Like you know what I'm saying, get me dark in a way, but I try my best to just to stay out of this ship.
Speaker 4: What do you mean when you said it wasn't supposed to happen, You.
Speaker 1: Wasn't supposed to happen. You don't suppose that. Yeah?
Speaker 7: Have you ever thought about mentoring somebody the way the way Dolph mentored you?
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't look at it. I don't look at it like mentor him. I just I just tell people it's right and it's ship. Is up to them to listen or take heed to it. Like, I can't make nobody do nothing already, brother didn't even make me do thathing. It's just he told me a lot of ship, but I only did like most of the ship that I wanted to do. You know what I'm saying? That worked out for me.
Speaker 7: Basically y'all was actually family, though y'all was cousins, right, Yeah for sure. Yeah, So it would be hard for you'd even have that kind of relationship with somebody else.
Speaker 1: Anyway, kind of kind yeah, kind of what would you think I'm not. I'm not too like, I'm not too quick to like recruit or like have a new homeboy or bloody or partner. You know what I'm saying, because like, times is so different now, and I don't put ship past nobody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did anybody you truly trust?
Speaker 1: Not really, bro, I ain't gonna lie. I can't even say it because I can't even have way trust nobody. Like if you halfway trust, you really don't trust him. M yeah, so not really, So I need to be the same way here. I have some damn yeah you nobody, But.
Speaker 5: Did it bring you any sort of relief to see that, you know, when his killers were sentenced?
Speaker 1: At least a little bit to speak on it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You gonna do?
Speaker 4: I totally get it?
Speaker 1: Do you do?
Speaker 7: You put a lot of that in the music, but just the frustration that ain't good?
Speaker 1: Like I probably did. Don't want the two songs, but it was probably one line. I ain't just go all the way in on it. Yeah, because this ship, y'all, I just don't know this ship. Drive me somewhere else, bron Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Have you have you tried the gree properly?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 7: Have you given yourself a chance to that part of the year taking off the year two.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna lie. I'm I'm agreeed for life, like I didn't accept it that I already know that. But it's not finna like interiorate me or make me. You know what I'm saying. Do some do something that I'm gonna regret? Basically? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are we should we be expecting any visuals?
Speaker 5: You know, your visuals go crazy like on a movie tip cinematically, we're going to expect any about dropping on tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Just wait, I'm just waiting on this. Uh it's final to come through. But yeah, I'm playing on dropping tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh okay.
Speaker 5: Did you have a thing about doing short films just like movies anything like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm gonna like how to write my own do my own ship because I didn't wait on nobody come reach out.
Speaker 5: Hy Dolf had he was doing move, he was about to do a movie, and Yo, this is the craziest thing. Going back to what you said about him creating opportunities for people, he had he had literally hit me up and next me to be in a movie that he was about to.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, and I really really would have loved to do that. That's something that you that you've really been thinking about doing getting into that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so she wants you to continue rep.
Speaker 3: Sup P.
Speaker 1: I don't how the talk got there.
Speaker 7: Other things that y'all had on your your your bucket list that y'all wanted that you want to check off that you got to check go.
Speaker 1: I need a diamond record, Diamond, got it. I gotta go diamond. Yeah that man, Yeah, it's gonna happen. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are you making them? Kind of are you making those kinds of records?
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, listening, Yeah, but I'm talking about like I guess I'm talking about the I want to say pop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to say no.
Speaker 6: I never my box.
Speaker 1: I never go out of my box. Yeah, rushing it like two times three times, but let's go do it's like it two times. But it's all independent though.
Speaker 4: That's that's why you can take a year of God damn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty much. Let's let's get into a record.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't even don't even know if none of these records are really records.
Speaker 6: These records what you want to.
Speaker 1: Play? No, I don't play what you want.
Speaker 4: To keep talking about that song about put it on Please, what.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Constipated?
Speaker 6: That's what it says.
Speaker 1: I really do that song got constipated though. Okay, okay, it's not on the tape though, but I got one. This was an archive. This was something that you've been Okay, this is before the maturity. I told you all cool.
Speaker 7: He's looking up trying to find on the streaming.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because it's on Genius, which is the wireless together.
Speaker 7: Well, you might need to do a song about ball do a song about balling and just call it nigga coma balls.
Speaker 6: See he's nigga ball your ideas?
Speaker 3: Yeah no, please don't.
Speaker 1: See it's a real song.
Speaker 2: You know what, kid clack ladies and gentlemen, let's get to the grins. The album comes out May second Clasp going on tour in May.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: He's in Oklahoma City, Houston, Austin, Dallas, Birmingham and Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Baltimore, and Una wore So make sure you pick up the album, pick up tickets.
Speaker 6: And it's The Breakfast Club. It's Keegly Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club