Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Dog Krisner. Equity markets in the Asia Pacific are poised for gains in the Thursday session. This is after the latest print on US inflation matched expectations and that seemed to ease concerned about an imminent rate hike from the Fed. We had the S and P five hundred coming within striking distance of a record high. Chip makers rallied and that seemed to lift the Nasdaq one hundred to a one month high. Coming up, we'll hear from Aaron Si, senior multi asset strategist at Pictet Asset Management. But we begin in the Lion City. Joining me now is Mark Cranfield, Bloomberg m Live strategist. He joins from our studio in Singapore. I appreciate you being here and can I ask for you to give me a kind of your sense of what's going on with the Japanese yen. I mean, it seems like two weeks ago you had the US in Japan essentially surprising the market with a coordinated intervention. It's is it too much to say that this has failed?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say failed. They bought some time. I mean there was a possibility that if they had done nothing but not again, would have just continued to grind higher. And who knows where the top side could could be Under those circumstances, If you allow traders to think that the market's become a one way bet, you could risk sending it to unprecedented levels, and of course the contagion risk as well. It may have spread across Asia, other currencies may have got involved, may have gone global, It may have stirred up markets in Europe and South America as well. So certainly the consequences of doing nothing could have been quite extreme. If the let's say the yen had drifted onto one seventy one eighty something like that, you could have had a global crisis on your hands. So certainly they bought themselves some time. Clearly, from a big picture point of view, unless monetariy authority comes alongside currency intervention, you will not get a long term impact on the currency unless the Bank of Japan steps up and does its job and convinces investors that it is ready to really take rates to the neutral level to address the inflationary problems. In Japan, then people will start to say, Okay, both hands are clapping together. Here, We've got full commitment from the Central Bank, from the monitor authorities. Everything is coming together. Here we are it's a change in direction of the end. Until you see that, then the yen will basically stay as an undervalued currency.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of hands, what if the FED were to essentially sit on its hands and do nothing in a rate environment, that may argue for higher interest rates. If the Fed were to just remain on hold for a while longer, does that necessarily provide a little bit more support.
Speaker 3: Maybe not that much. The issue is that the markets can see there's a bit of a disconnect here. We just just last night we had the the budget deficit numbers came out above four hundred billion for July when it was forecast to be three hundred something, more than twenty five percent above forecast. That number is extraordinary and it doesn't seem to have a cap just investors are not convinced that the US authorities are trying their best to rain in the deficit in the United States. That means that the long end of the treasury curve will continue to be under upward yield pressure. We saw yesterday the ten year auction needed the highest yield since two thousand and seven to get the bonds cleared, and we have a thirty year auction coming to day. Prospects are not great for that thirty year auction today. As long as you have that continuous upward pressure in the long end of the U s Treasury yal curve, it will gradually filter through even towards the shorter maturities. Regardless of whether the Fed is on hold or not on hold the bond, Thenjilantis will decide for themselves where they say interest rates should be. And of course, at a certain level, high yields will support the US currency, so that makes the carry trade more attractive again for the Japanese and other currencies as well, not just the Swiss frank. We're seeing under pressure as what relative pressure at the moment as well, So whether the FED keeps on hold for the rest of this year or not, the Treasury yr curve will decide for itself where it thinks is the fair compensation based on the inflation data it sees, based on the budget deficit in the United States and other factors, which will it always affect the bond market regardless of what the central Bank does.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious as to whether or not you suspect that we could see another intervention on the part of monetary authorities in Japan, maybe not in coordination with US authorities. And if we wind up in that situation, is there the risk that Japan could essentially sell US treasuries to raise dollars?
Speaker 3: They really really appear to have sold some treasuries to help with the most recent intervention that seems to have already happened, so you would expect that should they need to intervene again, that's the first place that we go. They haven't. Although Scott Besson was talking about this FEMA situation where they could go to borrow essentially money through sup arrangements to get the US dollows they need without needing to sell US treasuries, that issue was raised, the Japanese don't seem to have taken any advantage of that so far. Maybe they will be pushed into into a future, but traditionally they will wear down their sovereign investments before they get to such issues. So from the Japanese point of view, yes, if they need to do arrest their intervention again, you would expect the first place they will go is to reduce some of their holdings of US bonds.
Speaker 2: So in terms of the macro story in Japan, we have a lot of economic data in the coming week, including second quarter GDP figures. Give me a sense of your read on the Japanese economy right now. How are things holding up?
Speaker 3: It's going well. I mean, Sanaei Takichi, the Prime Minister, has got a clear objective of reflating the Japanese economy. They're getting fantastic investments because of they do have some AI sectors which are very attractive at the moment. So you've got companies like Taiwan Semiconductor, biggest chip maker in the world, making huge investments into Japan to build plants to help to maintain it's amazing production. It's already production levels. People are buying whatever chips they make, and their order books are full well into twenty twenty seven. They can make as many chips as the world can take, and Japan is now becoming a big base for them. So you're seeing and that's just one example of companies who are going to the specialized kind of AI products which Japan can produce. So that's very very good for the economy. And under Takichi, the government has a clear sense of what it needs to be done to get the Japanese economy back on track, and we're beginning to see signs of it already. Japanese companies are making very good profits. Company at stock market's pretty brilliant, and of course the relatively weak yen helps their situation. I think that's partly what investors can see is that Japan doesn't have a very big incentive to change the direction of the yen. If they can keep it a relatively weak but stable that's the ideal environment for Japan. So for them to really change the mindset that the yen is suddenly a strong currency that doesn't really suit them at the time this time anyway.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, good stuff, Always a pleasure. Thank you. Bloomberg's Mark Cranfield, m Live Strategist, Joining from our studios in Singapore here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Doug Krisner. Information tech shares are higher in early Asian trading. That's after the Philadelphia Semiconductor index rose two and a half percent in the US session. There were some disappointments after the US close. Cisco Systems earnings failed to impress, and Cerebraus Systems reported a decline in sales for its hardware business. For a closer look at the AI trade and markets more broadly, we spoke with Aaron Sai. He is senior multisset strategist at Pictet Asset Management. Aaron spoke with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watson sherry on on the Asia trade.
Speaker 1: Aaron, really great to have you with us. Let's start off with these sort of AI heavy markets. We're seeing that recovery in the Korean markets again. What do you make of the volatility and where do you see the opportunities in these AI heavy spaces like Korea by extension, also a bit in Japan Taiwan for example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the good thing is that we have managed to digest a historical unwind in the momentum trade. And part of the reason we have why equity back at an all time high despite that is there is an element of a rotation within the AI space. If you look at the AI trade, we think we're already in the third phase of the trade. The first phase was the rising tide lifted all AI boats. Anything with an AI in the ticker went up. The more capex the better. That then transitioned into a phase where we saw rotations between hyperscalers and capex beneficiaries, and that has played out for pretty much the last year. Where we are today, we think is going to be a more nuanced phase where single stock differentiation and dispersion matters. We think if you take the hyper scalers, for instance, they're going to tread a very fine balance between keeping capex up, but still because they're now relying on the market for additional capex spending, they would have to continue to provide evidence for monetization. So it's a fine balance, and we don't think all companies can pull that off equally well. So that's why we're kind of seeing the dispersion between names at the single stock level, and we think that would continue. But overall, by and large, we still think that we are in the early innings of the capex built out. We are going to have cycles around it. Of course, we have digested a fair bit of uncertainty in the AI ecosystem and we're reasonably constructive now, but it's important to be selected.
Speaker 1: Does the broader monetary policy backdrop, particularly if we have inflations daying benign as recent reading seems to suggest, does that paint a longer runway when it comes to how much more we could see from the AI rally.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so, in a way we had the perfect print on yesterday. It was in a way a dull print. But sometimes boring is good because what that lets you do is then focus on the micro, on the fundamentals of the AI ecosystem, and that we think is still very wrong. Right, So we're still in the middle of the first genuine earnings up cycle since the commodity supercycle. We are in a phase where demand is hive and supply is constrained, and companies are earning what we can call super normal profitability. So what you don't need is for the macro picture to moddel that story too much, which is why it's important that the US long end bond deals remain contained. So we were getting a little worried about the FED kind of withdrawing forward guidance and the bond market not digesting that very well. But given that we've had a couple of soft prints, as you say, that kind of definitely is is a sigh of relief for the market, and that lets the focus go back to the micro fundamentals.
Speaker 1: We spoke a little bit about, you know, obviously not all companies are going to thrive in this new era. More scrutiny on AI spending. Where do you prefer to place your bets then? Is it still overweight when it comes to the US? Are you looking more at a diversification in China, for example, because that's obviously where that major threat is also coming from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we still are relatively constructive of the US. We think the earnings upswingers is quite strong. We expect about thirty percent earnings growth this year. That's quite a powerful tailwind. But the real differentiator of performance within equity markets would be along sector lines. We think not so much between regions, because if you think of a team, if you're constructive memory, you'd probably consider Micron and Skhinex if you're constructive broadening out of the AI team into data centers and spending of data centers. If you're looking for cap goods names, we wouldn't differentiate too much between a Schneider Europe or a Caterpillar in the US for instance. For US, it's not really a regional diversification but more about being in the right sector. So we still selectively constructive tech. We think that the AI ecosystem broadens out from here, but we're also constructive banks banks, both across emerging markets and the US, and finally, we like areas of industrials as well.
Speaker 1: I wanted to also ask about what we're seeing with treasury markets. We've got that thirty year auction coming up soon. Where do you see yields? You've talked about the potential for becoming unanchored from here.
Speaker 4: Right So thankfully we've got a couple of soft prints. We had a soft labor market print and we had a pretty benign CPI print, So that kind of takes the heat of what was the central debate in the bond market, which was the sudden withdrawal of forward guidance. Essentially means that bond managers now have to continue doing their job with one less tool in their toolkit, something they've relied on on for pricing, for pricing bonds, and especially if you think of the long duration they're demanding and I think rightfully so, an additional uncertainty premium, given that it's not obvious what the new framework is going to be or even what the new right data series is going to be in terms of inflation for them to look at. So I think in a way it's a sigh of relief that we had a couple of soft prints because the conversation moves away from what is happening in the long end in terms of the term premium, and the data is letting some of these hikes which were previously priced and unwind. So that's giving some relief to the bond market. So we would be a bit more uncomfortable if the data picks up again, and then it's back to how the wash FED decides to signal their framework going forward.
Speaker 1: You talked about outdated notions of sector and styles. How does that play into how you're investing at the moment. Can you give us an example.
Speaker 4: Right, So, coming back to the hyperscalers, I mean, if you think of the traditional definition of how benchmarks like LENESSEI I look at it. You have Amazon, for instance, in consumer discretionory, you have Meta in communication services, you have Microsoft in software and information technology. So if you're following a strictly top down approach of selecting asset allocation first and then regions and then sectors what you often do or you're going into buckets which don't very well capture the opportunity set. So if you want to be constructive hyperscalers and if you want to diversified basket, you need the ability to invest across a few different sectors. So the world has moved on, markets have moved on in terms of these definitions, these labels not really being fit for purpose anymore, but we are still catching up in terms of how the nomenclature works. So that's why it's important not to be straight jacketed by some of these definitions. And as another kind of the point, there is the importance of value as as growth. We think is overestimated today. I mean in the past this used to be the single different single biggest differentiator of performance within equities. We think that'll be no longer the case. If you think of AI, if you think of electrification. These are broad mega themes which have winners on both the value side and the growth side of the market. So it's no longer about just picking one style definition or sticking strictly to sector definitions, but having the ability to be flexible and nimble and not be straight jacketed by outdated labels.
Speaker 2: That was Aaron Size, senior multi asset strategist at Pictet Asset Management, in conversation with Bloomberg TV host Cherry On and Heidi Stroud Watts, bringing you their conversation here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Chrisner, and this is Bloomberg