Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Tuesday, December seventeenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighty seven. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from this WBC Mortgage Studios at the Start, presented by lglg's the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years accounting see why at LG dot com Ford slash O lead EVO. Welcome to a Tuesday, Today's Big Picture Day. Today we'll hit different topics. In the opening segment, We're going to talk a little bit about this defense, and I want to talk about Mike Zimmer in particular, talk about what we think of him and where we think he is relative to what we thought of him coming into this year.
Speaker 3: Questions today, I mentioned it yesterday. We were going to talk about that, sorry man.
Speaker 6: And then as Mike zimmern and then we will get to that. And then in the second segment we will go inside the brain and Brian brought us and he'll have lots of questions.
Speaker 2: One then will.
Speaker 6: Not be about zimmer We'll talk about him in the first segment, and then we'll try to take some questions. You guys can hit me up on Twitter or your calls one eight eight eight five five two two nine seven, and we'll try to get some questions from you guys. Uh and if you have any comments you want to just talk to the crew here. We always love to hear from you guys, so hit us up and we'll see what we can do to engage you in the show. Let's start first with the Cowboys defense real quick, before we get into the conversation of Mike Zimmer, I do want to at least spend a little time talking about Trayvon.
Speaker 3: What is the I guess it all kind of came to a.
Speaker 6: Head over the weekend where oh my god, he's not traveling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna probably be out for the rest of the year.
Speaker 6: What do we know about that and how it developed into to the point to where it is now and when can we expect to see him back on the field.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: So it is the same knee that he dealt with last year, but there was the issue that he had been battling most of the year was fluid in his knee and it it bothered him and it kept him out a couple of games, and then he goes and plays what was it seventy something snaps against the Bengals. They come in and he has a little bit of discomfort. Early in the week, they do some testing and some imaging. He's still limited in practice early on, and then Friday is when they kind of come to the determination that he's dealing with that chondrial issue, which.
Speaker 2: Is the.
Speaker 7: It's like the cartilage at the end of your bone and your knee. He's dealing with some issues there and needs surgery to repair that injury. So I'm not a doctor anything. I'm trying to communicate as best as I can. But the recovery is looking like about eight months and that would put him Stephen Jones has Yeah, Stephen Jones.
Speaker 2: Says, I'm counting on my face, yeah, lsu. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Stephen Jones would have has some confidence that he'll be back by week one, but definitely looked at training camp and was like, yeah, we might not have him at camp this year. So yeah, that's definitely gonna be one that we will be tracking all off season and hopes that he can make it for Week one. So we're looking at him and Marven overshown already as potential missing time in twenty twenty five and we haven't even ended twenty twenty four yet.
Speaker 6: So yeah, how concerning is it that someone like Treyvon is now going to miss the entire offseason because you look at it, He's now.
Speaker 3: Had last year, that's two years in a row.
Speaker 6: Now he doesn't get the off season, won't have training camp this year. And when you're trying to get to a point where you kind of really the off season is when you're preparing your body for the rigors of NFL football, right, you're getting yourself ready.
Speaker 3: How much does that concern you?
Speaker 2: It's huge.
Speaker 8: It's huge because you know, you went through this all of last year and there's so much unknown now that it's one thing to have one injury, but to have too And this man makes his living with his feet, his knees, his legs, I mean, that's what he makes his living with and the fact that you've had now two major surgeries on those legs. It doesn't doesn't bode well. And especially when you're talking about cartilage injuries and bone on bone situations, and you know, what's the next step. Is it always going to be completely Is it going to be better?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 8: You know, you kind of feel like when you fix the knee one time that things are going to be okay. But this is a this is a very significant injury. And you know, initially you thought, okay, scope, clean it out, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: No, No, this is a very very serious injury.
Speaker 8: And you know then, I know, talking to trainers and doctors around the league, they've microfracture.
Speaker 2: You hear that.
Speaker 8: That's a scary thing when you start to talk about what's the what's the next step or the potentially next step, And you know, that's.
Speaker 2: Very few, very few if.
Speaker 8: Have dealt with that and come back and played at a very very high level. Not to say it hasn't happened, it's just a it's a very very difficult thing to deal with.
Speaker 4: I mean, one key injury is already bad enough, and then you start adding everybody else that's on that list, including your quarterback like when because they're recovering from surgery and you still there's that unknown of how are they gonna look when they do come back from injury, because most often than not, it takes multiple weeks for them to get back and sometimes they don't even go back to what they used to be. So it's gonna be a very very challenging off season for the Cowboys as they try to manage this roster and also try to figure out that'll known of these guys, key players, what's gonna happen with them, and how are you going to address all these issues?
Speaker 9: But man, for this secondary just a terrible, terrible hit.
Speaker 4: Darn Bland. I think he's on track. He's been looking good with his recovery, him coming back from injury, and so far, so good. And we still don't know what's gonna happen with Jordan.
Speaker 9: Lewis as far as his future here with.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys, and then now add this Trevon Digg's injury.
Speaker 9: It really sucks for this team.
Speaker 8: The positivity will be coming probably from the draft, but I think they'll be going into training camp when we all get back on that train in July will be I think there'll be a lot like Ambar's talking about a lot more questions instead of sure, there'll be some positivity about some of the players they got, and if they don't play in free agency, then it'll be like, well, okay, where's this team at. You know, the Commanders look like they're a better team. The Eagles clearly are the class of the division. You know, right now it's you and the Giants that are kind of But I think the positivity, just like she's talking about with all the injuries, not just the Digs, but the the Dak injury. Uh, look at you know, uh, look at the the situation.
Speaker 2: With juan Ye, Thomas and Bell.
Speaker 8: I mean, all these guys that you kind of counted on, uh, and then what guys.
Speaker 2: You're gonna lose.
Speaker 8: I think that I think teams are a extually. I think the media fan base is probably going to take a big step back and say, maybe this team isn't as good going into the season as it was coming into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Well, good thing is that there's still three games left on the on the schedule, and with that you get a chance to look at depth and the guys that you.
Speaker 2: Currently do have in seeing depth all year.
Speaker 4: We have, we have, but you get a different look and more time to see real game situation. Again, it's very hard to replicate real games. You know, you can't do that at practice. It just does not look the same and it doesn't give you the same results that you're looking for. So it's just another opportunity to look at what you have in younger guys and in depth to maybe give you a better idea of what you can do or who you can keep during this offseason.
Speaker 6: All right, when you look at the Cowboys defense right now, we're going to we're gonna move a little bit, but continue to talk a little bit about injuries as well. When you look at the Cowboys defense, how well they've played. I saw this morning Joyce Joseph Hoyd put it on Twitter. I thought it was an interesting tweet. He said that to this point, Cowboys for the season are the twenty sixth ranked defense relative to EPA per play allowed. Right over the last four games.
Speaker 3: They're fifth in the NFL.
Speaker 6: A big difference obviously in the first four games, I mean in the last four games. Now, part of that you have to consider is the competition that they were up against. Now, I will also say they played an equally poor team in Week two in the Saints, and the Saints kicked their butt, right, So you can say that. But they've lost some bad teams this year too. They've been equal opportunity providers there when it comes to giving losses. But that all being said, they've played a lot of this season without some of the key guys on defense Parsons, d Law, Diggs, Bland, Overshown, Williams, Kneeland. All that being said, how much do you how much difference do you give Mike Zimmer and this defense when it comes to the injuries and all the guys that they had to play without and having to kind of get his defense going when you try to evaluate him as a as a play caller for the season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if I look at everything after, I would say, I don't know week seven, give or take, then yeah, I think you can give some difference to that, and you understand the challenges that he's been battling throughout the year as a coordinator. Because man, it's defensive end, it's linebacker, it's corner. I feel like the safety position might be the only one that hasn't really had a lot of a turnover this season because of injury. So I have to give credit to Mike Zimmer because he's been dealing with a lot of guys. And you look at Josh Butler, how he was a the step up, Amantio Ro Warriers, had a couple of strong outings. Carl Lawson was a guy that we didn't even think might make the team out of training camp, and he's become a legitimate pass rusher for them. So with what the pieces he's dealing with over the course of the last few weeks, you got to give credit to how he's put it together. From a defensive coordinator and a play color standpoint, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Give him tons of credit and a lot of respect because even though we talked about it yesterday, Brian mentioned the whole you know, would have been good for him to have everybody buy into his new system, a new scheme earlier on to potentially win you some of this game. You got to look at it the other way too, looking at all the injuries, all the things that he's had to battle through, but also with the season, how he was going and how it's been going. How do you keep players motivated and wanting to go out there and compete and not give up and not throw in the towel and say hey whatever. And I think you've seen that with this defense over the last few weeks, that they are actually going out there putting in the effort and playing at a high level or at least the highest that you can possibly give in the situation. So to that, I think it can be very challenging just keeping guys wanting to still put in the time during the week in preparation and then go out there on Sunday and fight and battle and do what they need to do to take care of the game and help their off. And so I think I've I mentioned it yesterday. At first I was skeptical because of some of the results, but as the week went on, I'm very impressed and I would not mind him coming back and being here again with the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Jump ahead ran, Yeah, no, I it's it is one of my favorite new things. And kind of falling in love with these numbers and looking at numbers and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 8: I never was, but I was looking at overthecap dot com and they talk about contract and stuff, and you mentioned about Carl Lawson. Carl Lawson's playing like a player that's like over thirteen million dollars in value, fourteen million dollars. He's playing like a fourteen million dollar year position player and he's making a million dollars, you know, And so you know here he is, he's playing thirteen million dollars over value of what the player of How you determine his you know, how you determine what he's doing.
Speaker 2: And that's super impressive to me that.
Speaker 8: But you are getting guys that are playing now whatever we were I'm used to seeing. And I've always talked about the OSA falloff.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen the OSA falloff.
Speaker 8: You know, you're getting some guys that are You're getting to Carl Lawson, who man, we were sitting there at training camp and they just kept throwing names that, it names that, it names that, and they finally hit it right, and we're all worried about Carl Lawson.
Speaker 2: I know I was.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm like, well, Carl Lawson playing the run well, Well, he's playing the pass and the run well for you right now.
Speaker 2: So Zim deserves a lot of career. I tell you where. I really do.
Speaker 8: Like Zim and and I've been with him, known him a long time. I think that he's done a better job than And one of my questions was about him and dan Quinn, So this is how I'll answer this question.
Speaker 2: Then. The thing that I like about Mike is I.
Speaker 8: Think he knows how to match his guys up against their weakest opponents. I think he's kind of figured out how to How many times have we seen and this is really no disrespect to dan Quinn, but how many times have we seen Micah Parsons taking rushes against Trent Williams of the forty nine ers or Lane Johnson to the Philadelphia Eagles And you're just like going, man, you're beating your head.
Speaker 2: It's this is a wash, this is good verse good. You know, Zim has kind.
Speaker 8: Of figured out how to get his really good players on their bad players. And I appreciate that, you know, because that's what to me when you go out and you advance scout and you look at it and you're thinking, what's this all about? Teams trying to hide their bad players. Mike finds your bad player and takes advantage of that. And that's what I appreciate about him the most, and that he's he's taken guys like Parsons osa Lawson, Wilson, whatever he has to do, He's found ways to attack Lewis, attack these offenses by just some of the matchups.
Speaker 2: I think that's where I want to give him a lot of credit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel like dan Quinn at times last year got better at that because we saw Michael Parsons lined up over zero tech many times, lind up over center at zero tech many times, we saw him moving around quite a bit. I agree with you, but I think dan Quinn did get a little bit better at that last year specifically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just to me, it's I see it.
Speaker 8: Maybe it's because of Parsons, but I see it with all his players, you know, I see it. And maybe some of the things that's helped Osa not be Week fourteen go away Osa could be his contract that he's trying to get, maybe better conditioning, maybe the fact that like, oh wait a minute, he's he's going against their their their fifth best offensive lineman. You know, I don't know if we always saw that, but I respect what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this.
Speaker 6: The one thing that I'm keeping an eye on that I think I like more about Zimmer is it feels like at this point he may have finally solved the enigma that has been the running defense for the Dallas Cowboys. Now we're gonna find out these next three weeks, because you got some teams coming in here who can run the ball, particularly when you play Philly. We're gonna find out how good this run defense is.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: But I will say this, I so far, I look at what they did, and I know these were bad teams, not the Giants so much from the standpoint of what I'm talking about with rushing.
Speaker 3: But Carolina has a really good rushing attack. That runner really good.
Speaker 2: That's how they been competitive year.
Speaker 6: He is a really good runner, and he's run against some good defense in this league and run well.
Speaker 3: Cowboys held in the thirty something yards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think right now that's the part where if I'm trying to compare the two I look at the run defense and I say, man, finally, maybe somebody has solved this run defense problem that has been kind of popping its head up really for the last several years. It's been this ongoing thing of you get to this week and just you cannot figure out how to stop the run. And I think that might actually Zimmer might be onto.
Speaker 7: Something Dallas is fifth in the NFL over the last three weeks and rushing yards allowed per game eighty three point three, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're doing quite well.
Speaker 4: You've started to see a little bit more discipline just from the defense as opposed to last year. I feel like that kind of started taking a drop off with discipline overall and penalties. Not to say that they've played a completely clean game at all, but you see guys just tackling better, running better, being more on their assignment and do what they need to do. And again, I love Dan Quinn and I think he was very very well respected by everyone here and the players in the organization, but there's something different about what Zimmer has been able to implement in the whole defense.
Speaker 9: And also not.
Speaker 4: To make Mica Parsons like he's the I mean, I know there's a lot of debate there, but I guess what I'm trying to say, when you get a guy like him to respect you and buy in. And again, I'm not trying to make Micah like the biggest diva in the world or anything like that, but it helps. It helps when you have a guy like him buy into what you're selling and everyone kind of follows, and it's just he just made it better than what it was last year. And there were things that dan Quinn was able to do also, and again he didn't have to deal with as many injuries. And I think with the turnovers, that's something that you're starting to see in these last few weeks where it was lacking this year, but now it's starting to pick over and you see the kind of things that they're practicing out there and just reflecting back to the field in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we will.
Speaker 6: Now we have to move on to a much more complex question, which we'll have to say for another time about Mike McCarthy whether he gets that same difference with regardless of the injuries.
Speaker 2: We'll have that.
Speaker 6: Conversation at some point. We're gonna take our first pick when we come back. We dive into the brain of Brian brought us that when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But The good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 11: G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you footy deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right.
Speaker 12: Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 14: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 15: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey's store at the Star and Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucase the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 16: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back to the Break, lgoledevo is the best steam in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash Oledevo, Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Second segment of the Break.
Speaker 6: Life in that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, so Blockchain Blockchain take us into the brain of Brian brought us.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: Appreciate that Nick Harris currently the most important offensive player CD lamb or Rico daddle.
Speaker 7: Uh Rico Dawdell. I would say currently for sure. You look at what he's done to help sustate drives for Cooper Rush. I think he's been more of a benefit to Cooper Rush than Ceedee Lamb has been. And that's no discredit to Ceede Lamb. It's more of a credit to Rico Dowdell winning the time and possesion battle against teams that run the ball really well in Carolina, you know, keeping that offense off the field from Cincinnati. You know, you're one, you know, executed block pun away from winning that game because of being able to win the time position battle and stand front.
Speaker 2: So I'd have to give Zrego Dawdell.
Speaker 7: He's he's been great over these last few weeks and it's helping us overall off.
Speaker 8: And Bergarcia currently the most important offensive player CD Lamb or Rico.
Speaker 4: Daddle currently us like this weekend currently defined currently. I don't like this question because well that's the that's the point of it, right, Okay, hold on, let me process this.
Speaker 2: I currently process this. Please.
Speaker 4: I would like to say, uh, fine, I'll go with the running game. I'll go with Rico because, and this is taken into account that Cooper Rush through three touchdown passes to three different targets. So because initially my thought is like, okay, what do you have at receiver. Really, what have you been producing there? Not a whole lot.
Speaker 9: But then also now that.
Speaker 4: It's kind of opening things up, is due to reco down and moving the chains through the running game. So as of right now, in this moment, in this second, I'll go with Rico, what.
Speaker 9: Are you looking at me like that for? Is it CD? CD?
Speaker 3: Like it's CD.
Speaker 6: I'll I'll take you back to this game, right, Cowboys offense kind of been floundering a.
Speaker 3: Little bit after and then what happened?
Speaker 6: What happened there was there was a there was one drive, the first scoring drive.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 3: Third down? Three times on that drive? Three times CD CD CD. That's the difference.
Speaker 4: Saying this whole season yes, yes, no no no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 6: What you have to realize, what you have to realize, what you have to realize is on this team. Okay, to put it to you like this take away CD, you think Rico's getting much on the ground?
Speaker 2: Yes, How if.
Speaker 6: Defenses say we don't have to worry about CD, lamb, how are they going to run the ball. I don't think this is not a dominant offensive line. This is a good offensive line. When they play at their best, They're not dominant. So if defenses say we're gonna put eight guys in the box, we're not worried about any anybody on the back, and we're gonna man up across the board.
Speaker 3: How do you think they're gonna run the ball?
Speaker 7: There have been some first down opportunities where CD has been off the field in recent weeks, Bear and Rico has been able to produce. That's that's what comes to mind when I think about that and talking about Okay, Rico wouldn't have any opportunities off CD is on the field. I do see where you're coming from in that sense, but I disagree. I'm not saying I'm not saying more of an upfront situation with this offensive line. Truthfully, it's because of the offensive line. I'm saying Rico dwell in this instance. I think they would still be able to pay lanes with the way that they are.
Speaker 3: Blocking against an eight man front regularly. Yeah, I don't think I don't get yards.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 6: I don't think they would consistently do that over a game. And I get what you're saying, A player or two whenever, when when one may be on the field and.
Speaker 3: The others off that's fine.
Speaker 6: I think if a defense goes into a game knowing we don't have to deal with ceedee lamb, it changes how they look at the Dallas Cowboys offense.
Speaker 3: At that point they're like, guess what, we're gonna man up and Cooper rush.
Speaker 6: If you're good enough with these receivers to be able to beat us in man coverage, great, go for it.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, we're not going to let you run.
Speaker 6: And I think if they said we're not going to let you run, they would stop that.
Speaker 7: I think it's.
Speaker 4: Okay looking at both you're taking CD all day like if you gotta yes absolutely currently currently yes absolutely.
Speaker 9: But the point is it just goes back to.
Speaker 2: You being able to.
Speaker 4: Okay, Brian, you know what you're doing, and you started, but the point does know But the point goes back to right now, what's happening with the game. The the reason why you've been able to start doing a few little things offensively is because you started running the ball. And it doesn't go back to rica I'm saying, just the ability to run the ball.
Speaker 6: Obviously see commitment to comment, commitment to it right, and I agree with that, but my point still remains. In the NFL, as is the case in the NBA, as is the case in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Players matter. When you have great.
Speaker 6: Players, it affects how the other team has to deal with you. And and right now, you look at this offense right now, just currently constituted, how many great players are on this offense?
Speaker 3: Not good players, great players are on this offense. What who is he?
Speaker 2: CD Lamb?
Speaker 3: You're right, I'll take the left guard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll take the left I'm not to discredit cd Lamb because he he would easily be number two and.
Speaker 3: A second thinking how can I then you get my guy touches.
Speaker 7: But he is a great player, absolutely, And we're looking at the totality of it, like you said, we're taking cdee Lamb. But if we're talking about right now, specifically looking at these last three weeks, looking at the impact that Rico Dawdell has made for this offense as compared to the impact that Cede Lamb has made to this offense throughout the year. Even what we can even look at these last three weeks too, I would take doubtell. I mean it's it's like Dowdell Lamb everyone else.
Speaker 3: I mean fair, but I would flip those two and I think Dawdle's up there.
Speaker 6: And don't get me wrong, I think Dabdall has played a role really well this year, or at least when they wanted to use him like that. And I'm as big of me and Brian said back during training camp, we both were agreed, if they give him the ball, if they're willing to commit to him, he's more than enough at the.
Speaker 2: Running back twelve hundred yards, yeah right now. And you kind of gave us sat where he right now?
Speaker 3: Like where's he's eight eighty?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but yeah, twenty yards.
Speaker 4: He's had couple of weeks ago when they were not running the ball doing nothing, you say CD.
Speaker 3: Look, CD is still the centerpiece of this offense.
Speaker 6: They needed to commit to running the ball because when they run the ball, when they're committed to running the ball, it creates opportunities for CD to do what he does because now defenses have to at least be respectful of the fact that Dallas will run the ball. When they weren't running the ball then there was it was just basically like we can take CD away and they're not going to do anything.
Speaker 4: Else, You're not wrong, and I agree, but currently out one answer is slightly better than the other, and that's mine and Nick's answer.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 7: We're gonna find out a lot about what the respect that Rico Dawdle's starting to gain around the league going into this week. I don't want to get ahead of Wednesday and Thursday. But this this Tampa Bay defense. They stop the run.
Speaker 2: Really well, but they can't stop bringing.
Speaker 7: But they cannot stop the pass. So where do they dedicate their time to Do they load the box and say, hey, you have to make CD Lamb beat us. Or do they put a couple of guys on CD and say, hey you have to make Rego Dawdle beat us. And I'd be curious to know what that looks like in the first quarter.
Speaker 6: On the point is you keep them off balanced by doing different things. You move CD around, you see if maybe you can get down out of space, like there are things you can do to No matter which is that decision they go with, you make it hard on them to make that decision because you're still moving guys around doing different things.
Speaker 3: So there's a way to defeat it. You know, if Dallas can do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. If Dallas can do it's question. Boy, that was a good than.
Speaker 3: That brain and Brian Brock got.
Speaker 2: That one over. I got that one.
Speaker 3: Give me another one, all right.
Speaker 2: Derek.
Speaker 8: Bigger impact on the future of this defense, Marshawn Kneeling or Mars Leafoul.
Speaker 3: Mars that's pretty easy for me.
Speaker 6: I think what we saw this last week was my best hope for him. What I saw of him in college from the things I saw, was that he was a playmaker. He was a guy who's always around the ball, and this defense, in my opinion, that's one of the things I think this defense has really lacked for even when they were pretty good under Quinn, they didn't really have those playmaking linebackers. And you look across the NFL, and when you get great defenses, they don't just have great pass rushers. They don't just have a great corner or two. They also have somebody in the middle of the defense that can make a difference, that can get to the ball and knock the ball out, that can create turnovers. And so what I'm most excited about right now on this defense is the linebacker position. If overshown comes back, and I think he will be and just be just as good as he was before. And Maryus leafile there with him. I think Dallas is onto something with those two linebackers. And we've seen when you've got two of those guys, how great your defense. San Francisco. I was thinking that Carolina here back when they had keik Ley and and what was the other guy's name?
Speaker 8: The short uh, I'm gosh, Keiley.
Speaker 3: He one Man of the Year, he won Man of the Year, NFL Man of the Year.
Speaker 2: I know, Greg really small guy, the small line short linebacker.
Speaker 3: I have to look at it, but pay for them.
Speaker 8: No, I'm like, I'm going way too far because I I was going back to Sam Mills and guys like no, No, it was it's like way too far back for there.
Speaker 6: I see his face, Thomas Davis. That's what it was, Thomas Davis. Thomas Davis. But I thought that was a good linebacker with Keiley and him. I thought they had a really good tandem there. I think if you get two really good linebackers, and if one of them is special and one's really good, you can do some damage in this league. And I think right now, I look at those two and over showing and I think you can get too maybe two great ones.
Speaker 2: And bar how about that Marshawn Kneelan or Marshleafel.
Speaker 9: This one's easy.
Speaker 4: I'm disappointed in you, Brian great first question that you made it easy and I'm just kidding.
Speaker 9: Uh, well not, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I love Maris like I absolutely love the guy. He has been so great and it quickly took a shift because going into training camp after the draft, Nielan was the one that you're excited.
Speaker 9: For looking for.
Speaker 4: Then he gets the injury and that kind of I mean, it's sucked. But the moment that Marius got the opportunity, especially with overshown coming out, he did not miss a beat. And that's why you love. You love to have a guy ready for the moment. And he was ready for the moment, took advantage of it. And you see the in the way that he plays. You see the amount of preparation that he he has done. You see him that he puts the work in his studies and he's fast and not afraid to tackle. And like Derek said, and going back to what happened this weekend, him punching that ball out, those are the kind of players that you want, that you that don't only go and tackling out the plays over like you go for the ball, be a what is it called ballhowker ballhawk?
Speaker 7: Ball?
Speaker 9: Yeah, an eagle ball hawk that ball just.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 7: One time specially, you gotta be ready for it.
Speaker 2: What do you got there?
Speaker 7: Is this more so talking about the future or is it talking about what we see impact.
Speaker 2: In the future of this defense?
Speaker 3: Is there a difference?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I was if we're talking about the season the future, future of the future. Yeah, I'm thinking back and forth here because we haven't seen what Marshawn Niland has can do completely because he's he's been he hasn't been healthy all year.
Speaker 2: And I know what marsh sh Nieland.
Speaker 7: Didn't as as a college player and what he can bring to the NFL. I feel like he hasn't gotten a fair shot at seeing that yet, whereas Mary's Leafel is now starting to get that complete opportunity.
Speaker 3: Okay, so so real quick, not to interrupt, but I want you to answer this.
Speaker 2: Are you interrupted part of it?
Speaker 3: You said you saw what he did in college.
Speaker 6: Explain for the folks out there what you mean by that, because that that's what you could expect as very best of him in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Yeah, whenever we were going talking on the Draft show about Marshaw Neeland compared him to a poor man so Marcus Lawrence, in the sense that he can seal the edge really well. He plays the run really well. He's big, he's physical, he can overpower undersized offensive tackles or even average sized offensive tackles and get to the quarterback. The sack numbers haven't really been there for him throughout his entire career, but he does have ability at just making life difficult for opposing quarterbacks. And but it's it's his strength in the run game that I think is really, uh really fun and and if you're looking at Mary's leafel, you also kind of see a well rounded player, but maybe with more so an emphasis on on the run game that we've seen in the NFL so far, him being able to fill running lanes and be a very decisive of doing that. I'm gonna I'm gonna say, Leo foul, but I am not discounting the fact that Neiland has health. Bro I'm not riding the fences.
Speaker 6: Such a good argument, and I wanted to go he wanted you to go.
Speaker 7: I am saying Leo fl but it made such a good argument for that is I'm giving neland a little bit more credit here.
Speaker 6: Okay, So Brian, let me ask you this question. Both of you, guys, Amber jump into here. Here's the question ceiling. Let's but let's see. Let's see you just said you compared him to a poor man's Tank Lawrence. Yeah, let's assume he becomes Tank Lawrence. Give me a comp for what you think based on what you've seen, on what you think marys Leaphile.
Speaker 3: Can become mmmm man because.
Speaker 6: You're giving him best case scenario. What's best case scenario for Marris Leophile?
Speaker 2: What did I come?
Speaker 7: I gotta look at what my convoys for him last year coming out?
Speaker 2: Can he be like if you're doing Cowboys?
Speaker 3: Anybody you give me?
Speaker 2: Could he be like Brady James? Maybe a or maybe more.
Speaker 7: Notice a little bit higher than Brads. Let me cook on this all right.
Speaker 6: Reason. The reason why is because I hear what you're saying about Tank, and I have a feeling if it's James comparison, if his career plays out exactly like like Tanks, I think Tank is very underrated because he doesn't have the sacks, and at defensive end you don't have the huge number of sacks, then you don't get the same level of respect. But if you're a linebacker that's a playmaking linebacker, you're going to have those splash plays.
Speaker 3: You're going to have those plays everybody.
Speaker 6: So in a lot of people's minds, if that's the case, Marris would be a higher ranked player than Eland would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: See to me, I don't know, are we kind of is this the ceiling for Merris the way he's playing.
Speaker 9: I don't think this is a ceiling for him. What the heck the first year? Come on, what do you mean the ceiling?
Speaker 2: No? I mean sometimes players are they play at their best level.
Speaker 3: That's who they are when they come in, that's who they are.
Speaker 9: Na, I see a brighter future.
Speaker 4: Okay, the schemes, right, No, I think also it helps the scheme and like when you talk about having a guy.
Speaker 2: Like I think this guy is going to become a good pass rusher.
Speaker 3: But I don't anything. Oh yeah, I just wonder. I just wonder if Maris.
Speaker 6: If we're looking at Maris and we're gonna look up three years from now and you're looking at Merris and and and and uh demo and saying that is the best linebacker tandem in the NFL. And if you're doing that, I don't know if Neland's gonna be on that level. Gotcha, now here's gonna do. We're gonna take our final break. I love these questions so much. We're gonna do a double dose. We're gonna come back and I.
Speaker 2: Got I got one other question.
Speaker 6: We're gonna do that when we when we come back, it's Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 17: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O led Evil TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 17: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 3: No one comes close.
Speaker 17: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash Oldevo.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 5: It's a Pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 3: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions.
Speaker 18: For questions about their money. Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America Mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side, Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew A T and T five G fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 6: Back to the break, Ye, we'll continue inside the brand of Brian brought us.
Speaker 3: He's got one more question for us, Brian, what you.
Speaker 2: Got a G rank these offensive linemen and level of play?
Speaker 9: Hold on, let me pull up go ahead.
Speaker 2: And level of play? Guidon Smith.
Speaker 9: Bb are.
Speaker 2: Who am I gonna put it? Right? Card Hoffman Hoffman. I was kind of thinking maybe I'll put him. That was put.
Speaker 8: Hoffman and Steel, Guidon Smith, bbe, hoff and Steel them ranked them as a level of play.
Speaker 9: Okay, I'm talking about this season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, last year, I didn't know if we're talking about like career wise, the last.
Speaker 4: Couple of weeks almost said a bad word on there.
Speaker 9: All right, let me process this.
Speaker 4: I would go with Smith first, and then what I'm battling with is excitement versus looking at the whole year like what it's been. With that being said, I'm talking about Hoffmann specifically, just because he brings a different level of excitement that you're like, Okay, you've seen this type of aggressiveness that you kind of have lacked for a little bit. It's just something different to have in there. But also sometimes I think about.
Speaker 9: He's a little too aggressive.
Speaker 4: It's like, Okay, calm down a little bit too But Smith, I'm gonna go with potentially bbe next, and then Hoffman Steel.
Speaker 2: How about you, Derek.
Speaker 6: You know, ironically I did the exact same thing, and I was the only part I was a little bit torn on is I was torn between Guiding and Steel whether I thought Guiding was a bit better than Steel. But I think will push me on exactly. And I also think the last couple of weeks have kind of shape given me a little more towards Steele, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been pretty good.
Speaker 6: They made the change the right guard exactly, so it makes me wonder how much that was affecting his place. So I'm giving him a little bit more difference there. So that's kind of how it would go. Smith Bebe, Hoffman Steele.
Speaker 7: I also want to give credit to Steel in the run game. I feel like he's been he's been really strong in the You want to do that, yeah, I am sure this time I had the same order as well. I'd be going Smith, bb Hoffman Steel, Guiden is is guiding.
Speaker 8: The issue, like I say, is the with goe if he has not had not had the penalties, the holdings, the lining ups, the things like that.
Speaker 2: Would you give it more? Are you agree?
Speaker 7: He's also boom or bust at times though, where it's it's like he's great against Cleveland and then he has some severe breakdowns against uh trying to think of one off the top of my head where it was just a bad game for him, Yes, Saints is Yeah, I mean, may as well just go to the next week where it's just like, man, how did he allow that to happen?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I thought Geydon was might sound weird, but I thought he was actually better than I expected him to be this year. I thought as bad as the penalties were, I thought they were gonna be even worse because in camp, literally it seemed like every rep.
Speaker 3: His hands are outside.
Speaker 6: I was like, he's gonna get flagged every play, Like literally every play he's gonna have a holding call.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 6: Like he had some penalties, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 3: And so I still have.
Speaker 6: Hope that he's going to be a really good NFL player. I wonder if it may be on the right side versus the left, but I still have hope he's going to be really good player. And then when you say talk about BB, I think BB, in my opinion, was every bit what I thought he was going to be, which is a really good player. So far as a rookie, the expectation for him is that now he's going to be competing as one of the better centers in the NFL. If they keep messing and they might move in the guard my expectations. If he moved guard, he probably just as good there. So either way, I think he's gonna be a really good player real quick.
Speaker 8: Just maybe yes or no answer. Were they wrong not starting Hoffman the whole.
Speaker 3: Year at center and putting BB at guard.
Speaker 8: Or BB being a swing guy or being the guard yeah, the backup guy?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, you know, like he could have been. He could have been now the role that Hoffman hads.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I think that. I think BB's been fine, like I don't think BB was. I think BB has played well, So I think getting him reps as a rookie and he played well is a great thing.
Speaker 3: That's better.
Speaker 6: That's better for me than Hoffman being in there and maybe not seeing an appreciable difference between the two.
Speaker 8: It so, I wonder if hapman playing sixteen or seventeen weeks is a good thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is hap been playing five weeks a good thing?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And wait, what are you getting?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 2: He gets broken down? Got like he plays really really well.
Speaker 8: He's fresh for five six weeks, and then week seven, week eight he starts to get beat up and get war.
Speaker 2: Down and is not as effective.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, I had to ask him last week. I was like, this is the first time in your prayer you've been able to stack.
Speaker 3: Nick's doing his job and that's what he does.
Speaker 7: I pushed my glasses. I asked him last week, you've been able to stack games for the first time of your career. Do you feel like you've gotten better over the course of these games? And he does feel like he's playing his best football right now and his body's good. No, No, you're right, seventeen games.
Speaker 2: I wonder if you wonder if what he would have been at center for seventeen games? Yeah, what do you have? Been broken down? You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But I love what they got from BB.
Speaker 6: I think he's been a really good for them, and I think that that experience is in value.
Speaker 17: Was a rookie.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you guys.
Speaker 3: All right, that was good stuff.
Speaker 2: Brian, I try, I try.
Speaker 8: It took me to week sixteen, but here we are.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you guys. Tomorrow, tomorrow we dive in.
Speaker 6: This is gonna be the gauntless of these three games. It starts with Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tomorrow we'll start breaking down that team, that Tampa Bay offense versus the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 3: Until then, for Nick Harris, Brian brought us an Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eaglet, and.
Speaker 6: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.