Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Man, Welcome back to Coast to Coast, George Nori with you, Mark Ireland with us first time guest is the assister of Helping Parents Heal Now. That's an organization with more than twenty four thousand members that assist bereeve parents worldwide. He has participated in mediumship research studies conducted by the University of Arizona at the University of Virginia and currently operates a medium certification program, which we'll talk about as well. His book is called The Persistence of the Soul. Mark Welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: Hey George, it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, and under unfortunately very sad circumstances, if you would, if it's not too painful, if you could tell us what happened.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so, I guess as a precursor to my story of what brought me back into my father's realm. My dad was a pretty prominent psychic and medium who practiced mainly in the nineteen sixty, seventies and eighties and eventually became a counselor to May West. Amanda Blake, David Jansen some other Hollywood celebrity types. And I even have a handwritten note from Mamie Eisenhower written to him in nineteen fifty six when he married my mom.
Speaker 2: So you would have been a regular on this program had we been around them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, he was ahead of his time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I grew up with that father, and I saw not only the psychic stuff, but that, you know, the spirit messages coming through at times with great specificity, first in the last names details. So even as a kid, I saw this and I had a confidence say, man, there really is more than just this, you know, there is another realm beyond this. Growing up with that, it gave me a level of confidence. But I took my own path. You know how many of us really want to be our parent, right, So I went to college, got a degree, got married at a pretty young age, and had a couple of kids. To fast forward, my eighteen year old son, my younger of my two sons, Brandon, was hiking in the mountains. They're going to go for a hike in the mountains behind our Scottsdale, Arizona home at the time, and that the other day I just had this kind of bad feeling and almost like a premonition that he shouldn't go, but I couldn't talk him out of it. And he was eighteen, and his last words to me were going Dad, So he went on his HI. My wife and I were across town for most of the day. I get a call later in the day from the boys, actually from my older son who intercepted a call from the other boys on the mountain who are with brand and they said he was having trouble passing out and so on. So they asked me to call nine one one, which I did, and we rushed back. By the time we got there, there's a horde of spectators and ambulance, fire truck and a helicopter came down and a short time we learned that our son had passed. We didn't know the cause of definitially that all I could get was what his best friend, who was with him and tried to revive him, that said, and that voice. Stu told me that, you know, Brandon had reported that his heart was beating fast and his arms were kind of numb, and then I guess he vomited shortly there after that, and then he says, I have to lay down, and he laid down and didn't wake up again. So that's really kind of what led me, you know, to get back into my dad's field and look at it from a different perspective.
Speaker 2: Obviously, did he go into atrial fibrillation or something.
Speaker 3: So here's what happened. We didn't get an autopsy report for about a week. But at this point in time, my dad had been gone for a number of years, but I had an uncle who was still alive with similar abilities, and I talked to him briefly the day it happened, and about three days he asked if there's anything he could do for me, and I said, you know, if you can get any kind of message or connection, I really appreciate it. And I was Three days later, I was in the mortuary making arrangements be connected by cell phone and he told me, he says, you know, last night I tried to connect and I got nothing. But this morning I was doing my meditation. It is how I start every day, and your dad came to me and he looked the same as he always has, and he hadn't seen me in a long time, but I have had connection with him since he passed. He said he was there when Brandon passed crossed over. He helped Brandon adjust. Brandon was a little confused in the beginning, and that he wanted you to know you're the best parents he ever could have had. But what he gave me on with that the feel good message, was the evidence. He said, your dad said Brandon's death was caused by a lack of oxton and his bloodstin' and it caused his heart to fail. So the autopsy was conducted. A day or two later, I got a call from that physician and she told me that his death was caused by a severe asthma attack that causes blood oxygen levels to drop, leading to cardiac arrest. So my uncle essentially told me the cause of death two days before it was official.
Speaker 2: And this led you on your path.
Speaker 3: It was probably the first step. Yeah, it led me down this path that kind of re engage you with my dad's field. See. I was always proud of my dad, and I would always take friends to see him and things like that. But it's not like it was the front and focused, most predominant thing in my life that I was focused on. But it did. Yeah, it brought me back into this and there was a number of remarkable things that kind of lined up right after this that almost made me seem like it was a synchronistic thing.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that in a second. Mark. Did your father try to force feed any of this towards you?
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 3: I mean he always told people that he thought I was psychic, but he has said that other people were psychic too. Well. You know, now, I know everybody's psychic to some degree. It's just how much you have of it and how much you trust it or use it or even are aware of it. But no, he never forced me to do you know that. It was pretty much he wanted me to be my own person and take my own path. And even just before he passed, I saw him like two weeks before he he told me he was proud of me. And you know, at that point in my life, it was pretty much a business career that I had done.
Speaker 2: Was your family related to the actress Jill Ireland by any chance?
Speaker 3: No relation? North Cathy Ireland.
Speaker 2: I bet you get that a lot, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah? I used to, but I guess that they're not as big a name as that.
Speaker 2: Nobody remembers or anymore.
Speaker 3: No, it's kind of a shame yeah. And part of this too is, you know, has been enabled me to kind of restore my dad's legacy to some degree, because I think he's just unknown by a lot of folks, but he was tremendously gifted and helped a lot of folks.
Speaker 2: What have you learned about the afterlife?
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. I mean, the first thing I look at is what evidence sources do we have? Mediumship is one, and I've got a lot of experience, you know with that in dealing with mediums. I've actually know a few of the ones that you've had on like Michelle Claire and Suzanne Wilson and other researchers like Trisha Robertson from the Scottish Society of Psychical Research. The nature of the afterlife itself, you know, it's I guess we could all speculate what it's like. My view of it is, you know, you're a soul and a body, and when you leave here, the part of you that's non physical gravitates to the point of existence where you belong. And I think there may be various planes, but in general terms, I lean on kind of what a lot of the NDE researchers how they describe things. And actually my dad had some thoughts about it too that make it sound like it's an environment, if you will, that exudes love and compassion, acceptance, a deeper love than you can even experience here on earth. But it's the sole purposes of progression and to evolve, and that's why we come here and go through some of this suffering that we do, and some of it's not all suffering. But my thought is we grow through that process, and this world maybe refines you faster than being on the other side, because if you're in a realm without all the challenges or where you have to be cognizant of giving and caring for others and things like that, maybe this world stretches you a bit more. Maybe it takes you refined your soul to a greater degree. So maybe that's a nebulous answer, but I don't know that any of us knows exactly how to describe that.
Speaker 2: You know, being here, What are some of the remarkable things that have happened to you, mark that continue to lead you to believe that this is the real thing.
Speaker 3: There's been so many I'll just go back to right after my son passed, but it was About a month later, I was watching the NBC affiliate news station in Phoenix and they were showing information about a study being done at the University of Arizona at the time, where meetings were being giving readings under blinded conditions where they couldn't see the sitter. Sitter couldn't see them, so there's no chance of cold reading, and a lot of really phenomenal information was being shared. It was very specific, and the first medium I saw in there was Alison Dubois, who later became famous because of the Network show Medium, and I thought, Wow, I'd love to be in that lab someday, and I'd love to get a reading from Alison Dubois. A little did I know both of those things would later happen. In fact, the very next day, I got a call from a man named Jerry Concer, who knew my dad. He was friends with my dad, and he called me and he says, hey, Mark, I know what you've been through, and I know someone who might be able to help you. Her name is Alison Dubois, and then he gave me into phone number I could call to get an appointment, which I did have later that year, and then I ended up in the lab for Actually, there was a Discovery Channel's feature filmed the day I was there, and the medium that read for me in the lab for that particular time was Laurie Campbell. But some of the affirmations that came through those readings were quite remarkable, taking the Alison Dugua one for example. She went in there with limited knowledge of me. I tried to kind of and most of these tried to shield my identity or at least how much anyone could know about me, just so I know that it's the real deal. But she two weeks before I met her or went in for that reading, I met a person who dad. My dad had a manuscript that was never published, and it was in a box with eight and a half eleven pages stacked up. It's called Your Psychic Potential, A Guide to Psychic Development. And this fell a hands this to me and he says, here, this is your dad wrote this book years ago, nineteen seventy three. And I said, how'd you get it? And he said, well, you were out of state at the time, and before your dad passed to give it to me for safe keeping. And I'm like, why are you getting this to me now? He says, I don't know, I just feel like I'm supposed to. Well, the reading with Allison was two weeks after that, and very early in the reading, she says, I have your father here and he's showing me a book, but I think it's his book and it's for you to take forward. Did that make sense to you? And I'm like, yeah, that makes sense. I'd subsequently been able to get that book published, which is pretty cool. And then she had a number of other things that she also shared from my son happy twenty fifth anniversary, which my wife and I had just had about two months before that, and she would have had no way of knowing that. She came through with a number of names that made sense and other information. But it was a really good reading.
Speaker 2: What do you say, Mark to people who don't believe in the afterlife, Well, you can.
Speaker 3: Only say so much. It depends on their perspective. If they're open minded and willing consider evidence, that's one thing. And that's really this book that I've put out. It's got personal stories, but it also has the scientific evidence to back it up. In there, I think you need somebody with an open mind. You can be a skeptic, but not a debunker. If you've already made up your mind and you're a physicalist or slash materialists, and you think that consciousness is just an ep the phenomenon of the brain, and there's nothing more than matter, then I'm gonna just waste my breath talking to somebody like that. But somebody who's open minded, I can share evidence in personal stories of things, and then they can have their own experiences too, whether that's with a medium or do some other practice. Even you know, I think it was two or three days after Brandon passed. I wanted my own kind of connection before I ever met with any mediums, and I just went into a darkened closet and tried to meditate and concentrate and just asked for something to come through. And within a reasonable period of time I had an image of my son's face smiling, kind of scrolling across, and then shortly right after that was across with an overloop at the top. And I'd seen that I didn't really know what they meant, so I went and googled it and found that it's an anc, which is the oldest cross of human history. The lower portion represents physical life that the upper Ovaloop represents eternal life. So what I had there was a message that I had to decipher that I didn't know what it meant. It kind of conveyd you hate your Son's fine, he's happy and he's in the afterlife. But there's so much evidence out there to the near death research stuff through mediumship studies. But I think the best thing is people have their own experiences, and those direct experiences that are what really will change you and change your way of thinking.
Speaker 2: Was your first book called Soul.
Speaker 3: Shift, That's correct, it was Soul Shift, and that was kind of the story that I'm talking about now is kind of the precursor to the Persistence of the soul. But yes, that was the first book, and that was more of a memoir, and it journal all these experiences that happened, you know, immediately after, including the first four readings that I had, and then information about some of the other experiences. One of the most remarkable had to do with my wife actually, and this one was not through a medium. This is a direct experience, so therefore very compelling. Well, we were going to take our son Brandon on a cruise for his graduating from high school, and since he had passed. We took our older son, and we took Brandon's best friend, Stu, who I mentioned earlier. We went on this cruise. We came back and this is six months after Brandon had passed, and my wife was sitting at the foot of our bed. And while there, she felt a presence with her that she knew it was Brandon, and she actually saw a shadow figure out of her peripheral vision. Now here's what even makes it more compelling. The next day we get a call from someone else. Now this person, his name is James Linton. Brandon was a bass player, and James is a musician. He needed to borrow a bass while we were gone, and so Susie loan and Brandon's bass. Well, he calls the very next day after Susie's experience. He has no knowledge of her experience, and he says, hey, Susie got something to tell you, but I don't know how to share this. And she's afraid he broke the bass or something. But I was recording this song. While I was in the studio, I felt another presence in there with me, and I saw a shadow figure out of my peripheral vision. Then I saw flashes of white light, and I thought I was hallucinating, so I went and drank water, I took a shower, I got something to eat. But every time it just came back stronger and stronger, and finally I said, okay, Brandon, what do you want? And he said that he was then guided to redo this song and redo the words, and it came out. It was something called the Other Side, and he said, this is the best song I've ever written, but I didn't write it.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast a m every week night at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to Coasta m dot com for more