Speaker 1: So he goes, listen, guys, I gotta tell you this company. I'm already minus seventeen million for the year. I don't know what to do with these records. I'm just gonna let you go.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: I run out of money, and they're closing at the end of the year, and we're living off of riches credit cards right the second, and I think Rich is having an anxiety attack.
Speaker 1: I am ready to jump off a building at that point.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Idea Generations All Angles, a podcast about culture's most influential brands and the teams that build them. If you're an entrepreneur, creative, or anyone interested in harnessing the power of collaboration, join me Noah Callahan Bever each week as we dissect the most dynamic companies in culture, because the only way to truly understand success is to look at it from all angles. Idea Generations All Angles is a Will Packer Media podcast. In nineteen ninety one, Steve Rifkin founded Loud Records, and in the decade that followed, Loud would cultivate one of the most iconic rosters in hip hop history, including Wu Tang, Clan, Mob, Deep, Big Pun, three six, Mafia, Dead pres and the Alcoholics. But the label's success was a product of more than just one man's effort. Loud was the confluence of Rifkin's vision and network, childhood friend and partner Rich Isaacson's iron fisted governance, and the impeccable taste, tone and tireless efforts of an ensemble cast of hip hop obsessed young staffers, not to mention the timeless art of some of the most talented rappers and producers to ever pick up a mic or tap on a beat machine. On this week's episode, we talked to founders Rifkin and Isaacson, A and R's Mattie C. Scott Free and Shaun Sea Radio VP Mojo, as well as Havoc from Mob Deep to hear the full story of how Loud Records grew from a one room office on Melrose ab to one of the most successful record labels of the nineties, and how the inspired chaos that fueled their rise ultimately also contributed to the legendary labels undoing. But long before any of that happened, decades prior to Cloud selling a single record, there were just two best friends driving home from soccer practice in Merrick Long Island.
Speaker 1: Steve and I grew up together in Merrick Long Island.
Speaker 4: This is Rich Isaacson, co founder of Loud Records.
Speaker 1: It was kind of one of those neighborhoods where everybody played out in the street, so we knew each other just from being kids in the same neighborhood.
Speaker 2: So Marrick had a north side and a south side.
Speaker 3: The north side was all Irish, the south side was mostly Jews and Italians.
Speaker 4: This is Steve Rifkint, founder of Loud Records.
Speaker 3: So there would be fights pretty much every day that we went to school.
Speaker 1: Steve and I grew up a couple of blocks away from each other, so kind of in each other's lives since we were literally little kids. Teenage, then high school, and we got really close, I would say in high school. He was a senior in high school when I was in tenth grade. We were both on the soccer team. He was on Varsie and I was on JB and you know, we knew each other, but he was like the big kid and I was really little at that point. So Steve was driving and I didn't drive yet at that time, so he would take me home from practice or pick me up, and he makes a joke that I had to pay him, and he tells that story like, oh, Ritchie's to pay just to hang out with me.
Speaker 4: Though Steve was raised in a mundane suburb of Long Island, his childhood was anything but ordinary. The Rifkin family was a music industry dynasty. Steve's grandfather had run a popular nightclub on Queen's Boulevard, and Steve's father and uncle, Jules and Roy Rifkin, were hugely successful in radio promotion and early champions of R and B and soul music. Jewles had been a senior executive at both MGM and Bang Records, was a confidant of James Brown, and would eventually launch his own label under Polydor Spring Records. So it was almost a given that and his younger brother Jonathan would add onto the family's legacy and the music biz.
Speaker 3: My house, we could only listen to WBLS. BLS was the only black station in the one or seven point five, so everybody else was listening to the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, you know, whatever the rock and pop stuff was.
Speaker 2: I had no clue what it was.
Speaker 1: His dad was in the music business, and that household was really pretty exotic for Merrick, Long Island.
Speaker 3: He had any given time, that could be a lomo at the house and it could be James Brown, it could be Millie Jackson, it would be somebody from the Fat Back Band. It could be Kenny gamble E Leon Huff, who was the biggest producers.
Speaker 4: Founded in nineteen sixty seven by Steve's father, Jules brother Royd and friend Bill Spittalaski, Spring Records ushered in a generation of classic R and B, funk and soul, including superstars like Joe Simon and Millie Jackson, and by virtue of kicking it in Jewels living room, even Rich got front row seats to witness how the music industry really worked.
Speaker 1: The Spring Records had classic, amazing R and B, and then later on Steve and his dad put out what many considered the first hip hop record of all time, which was King Tim the Third by the Fat Back Band. Steve wasn't exactly a student that didn't care about seeing A student had a learning disability.
Speaker 3: I didn't know how to read a write till I was on to fifteen years old. I was majorly dyslexic. Nobody knew what that was then, so they sent me to Julie. I didn't have to sleep there. The little bus would come. They would come into the bus and then they would take me to a school. And my parents they tried their best with me.
Speaker 2: They even believe me. I really thought.
Speaker 3: Up until my senior year in high school, my dream was the NBA. My dad took me to a record convention one time and it was a took him that hotel, and I was like, all right, this is kind of cool, but it really didn't do anything into me.
Speaker 1: I think he went to college for a day or a week or something like that, and he's like, this isn't for me.
Speaker 4: Seeing Steve drop out of college without any plans prompted Jewels and Grandpa Ripken to call a meeting with Steve. And the outcome of that conversation, well, it would set off his career in the music industry.
Speaker 3: My grandfather called me, he goes, why don't you do what your cousin did. I'm like, what did my cousin do? He goes, he went to visit radio stations. Two weeks later, my grandfather called me, he just pick me up at the airport and he goes, we'll haveing lunch with your father.
Speaker 2: We go to lunch.
Speaker 3: They you're gonna go to visit some radio stations. You'll fly back to Florida with Grandpa, and then from there. They gave me a route of where and there was always somebody there. My first off was Florida. I don't know how to read a map. I got ten dollars worth a quarters and forty grand and gash and my father says, if you disappear, you're dead. First stop. I went from Fort Lada of Florida to Alabama, and I met a guy a name with Dave Clark. Dave Clark ran the South from a promotion side of things, and he's introducing me to like program directed and I just really did a lot of listening and I introduced myself and I just kept in touch.
Speaker 2: Day didn't ask me.
Speaker 3: To hang out with them, and I was like, where's the local college.
Speaker 4: Being much younger than the pds and radio vets, Steve headed to the local colleges, both the work his dad's records with the DJs, but also to party with people his own age. This routine would continue for the next couple of years. Steve would visit college towns, build relationships with the local DJs, and get his records played on their stations. Ultimately, this network of radio taste makers would become the foundation of Steve's career.
Speaker 3: From mobile to making Georgia and then New Orleans and I'd go back to the colleges again, and that three weeks ended up being three years where I would zig zag all across the country.
Speaker 2: So that's how the whole street Team concept came together.
Speaker 4: After a few years on the road, Steve found himself back in New York City surfacing records to Frankie Crocker, a record breaking icon at WBLS, the number one black music station in the Tri State. One Saturday night, Steve got an opportunity to roll with Crocker that would both open his eyes and transform his business.
Speaker 3: So this is when I'm around twenty twenty one. I'm at BLS Radio and then May James, who is the music director, said Frankie wants to talk to you. He goes hey, does your dad still get the limos My dad definanced the limousine company Music Express. I'm like, I don't know, let's call him. Frankie goes hey, Julie, do you still have the thing? He goes, yeah. He goes, I need one for Saturday night. My dad goes, you have no problem, but let's Steven go with you. So I'm like, where are we going? He goes, We're going to the garage.
Speaker 4: The garage wasn't just any nightclub. This was the home of DJ legend Larry Levine, who, from a later than late night underground club in downtown Manhattan, broke the sounds of disco and dance that would define pop music for a decade plus.
Speaker 3: It was a club and it opened up at six in the morning. Frankie's come to the house around three in the morning, go to the house, we go to Studio fifty four, We go to another club, Magique, and now it's time to go to the garage. He's not telling me anything, right, So around like an hour later, he disappears. I'm by myself. He's by the DJ booth and he's not talking to Larry. He's just literally like eyeing the tiger. I'm like, what is he doing? So in between eight o'clock in the morning to nine o'clock in the morning, whatever Larry played, Frankie was adding to the radio station.
Speaker 4: Having seen Frankie's system of music discovery, Steve got an idea on how to capitalize on Larry's golden hour picks.
Speaker 3: So I'm calling Atlantic Records or Epic Record. I'm like, hey, I could get your Shannon record. I'm just making up a name. I could get your Shannon record. At it to BLS tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, there's no fucking way. I'm like, I promise you who goes if you get it?
Speaker 2: How much you want? Five grand?
Speaker 3: There was a label called Next Plateau. I called that was seed Bank One more shot, and I nailed all three records, So I made fifteen grand. Nobody knows. I'm not telling my dad. I'm not telling anybody. I'm twenty two years old. I'm making fifteen grand a week now, so I'm making a name for myself. That PolyGram puts me on retainer, not for a lot of money, for like five hundreds a week, but I'm still getting those records.
Speaker 4: By getting those records, Steve means that he would watch the songs that Larry played during the peak hours on Sunday morning, knowing that Frankie Crocker would likely add them to regular rotation on bls that week, and then first thing Monday morning, he would call the labels behind each song that Larry played and offer for a fee to get those records in rotation, knowing full well that Frankie was about to do it. Anyways, Frankie he.
Speaker 3: Had two assistants, Delfina and Beth, and I'm like, just tell Frankie every Saturday, I'm gonna go up to the garage. I had a good run with that two three months until I'm dropping off Popeye's Chicken to Frankie. It's a Thursday, and I walk in and there's my father and uncle and m and it's like a scene out of the Mafia.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 3: And my uncle has a temper and he slammed the fucking a table and he's like, how long do you think you could have done this without telling us? I'm like, what do you mean? He goes, we know what you're doing. I'm like, all right, I didn't know I had to tell you. And so Frankie's laughing and he said the same thing, goes, man, you guys really think you're some mafia guys.
Speaker 2: Frank He goes, when.
Speaker 3: Did you realize I realized the first week, he goes, well, how did you realize? I said, you was just staring and listening and you weren't writing notes, but you were like giving yourself a mental note and I just watched. And then the next week you left me again. At the same time, he goes, man, that's pretty brilliant you. So my uncle says, well, how much did you make? I said I was making around fifteen to twenty grand a week, and they said, well, you got to give us a piece. And I was like, you're out of your fucking mind, like you're not getting a piece. I didn't give him a piece, but you know, we definitely had words, and I mean after money was going up my nose anyway.
Speaker 4: In those days, will Steve played fast and loose, rich walked a straight and narrow when it came to his career.
Speaker 1: When I decided to go to law school, it was more like, Okay, I need to have a profession, you know, I need to have some kind of security in life. I was always more of a realist than I was a good student, and I figured this is a career path for me, and it gives me a bunch of opportunities to do different things. I went to an Ivy League law school, I had student loans, I had debt. Come out of law school, I worked for a big corporate law firm. You know, I think I'm at the pinnacle of the success that I was trying to achieve as a kid. Making one hundred grand at the time, which was in the eighties, I thought I was like rich, and I think I've made it. And every day it was just it was like being a professional student. You have a homework assignment every night. You're never done and it never stops. And I was working, you know, seventy five eighty hours a week, writing briefs, doing research in the library on the weekend. It was just awful. I'm doing that. I have an apartment on the Upper West Side, thinking it's the coolest thing in the world, even though I hate my job. And Steve's now in LA.
Speaker 4: Steve wasn't in La by happenstays. He and Fred Hiram Hicks had gotten win at Mega R and b act New Audition. We're in the market for new management, so Steve moved to LA to cement a relationship with Mike, Ronnie, Ricky, Johnny and Ralph I.
Speaker 3: Decided I'm going to go out to LA for the summer to just get closer to that. They love playing ball. I love playing ball, and that's how I ended up in La. It's surely because a new addition. My best friend was an actor and he was on a show called Teditor Class. I moved into Brian's living room for the sammer. One of the girls on the show lived right above him, and I fall in love for the first time, and I said, you know what, I'm moving So new audition that last around a year and a half. The Stephen Rifkin Company just went into high gear quickly.
Speaker 4: While on the road working records, Steve had built relationships with many college radio DJs and stations across the country. He'd leveraged those relationships into the launch of SRC, the Steve Rifkin Company, his street marketing and radio promotion outfit. As hip hop continued to grow, so too did the opportunities to market it. And with access to the most powerful college radio taste makers, Rifkin was able to break records in local markets and charge labels handsomely.
Speaker 1: To do so, he used to come to New York to dum up business for his company. Because most of the labels were still in New York, and he'd sleep on my couch and I'd do my law job, and he'd go do what he did. I even really didn't know what he was doing. And then at night we'd meet up and he'd tell me what's going on, and I would just be like, holy shit, what a cool job he has. You know, the.
Speaker 4: Coolness of his job was not lost on Steve either. In fact, it was so cool that it bred a bit of complacency and tempered his ambitions.
Speaker 3: I got a name of Jerry Aid, who owned a big talent agency. They were the premiere like urban agency. Goes, you need your own label, and I'm like, Jerry, I don't want my own label.
Speaker 2: He was, why not? I said, I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: I'm making a few hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 3: At four o'clock. I go to the park and played well. From five to seven a show. I go back to your office. From eight to ten, I go home. I really don't have pressure. Goes, will you please meet Paul Marshall. I go I know Paul, that's my dad's attorney. He goes, Please Stephen, He says, I can get you this crazy deal, this that or whatever. I figured I was going to just try and do everything myself. I had the money, and then the second I walk into Rich's apartment, my father calls. He goes, get to the house immediately, and I'm trying to think to myself, what the fuck did I do now? He goes, I heard you just turned down a label deal. I said, nobody will ever mean anything. Your lawyers said you could get me a label deal. I said, I know if I want one, I said, I'm doing good. I'm making two three hundred thousand a year.
Speaker 4: But Jules saw the bigger picture and made sure that Steve did too.
Speaker 3: He goes, I know you don't listen to me, and I know you think you have every answer. What you're in is the service business. You're only as good as your last contract. If you start a record company, you'll be in the asset business and you'll be making money when you league. So I spend a night, called up Paul. In the morning, I said, I'm ready to get a deal. You guys, there are two places where I want to send.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Got the name of Irving days Off, who just started Giant Records, and I got the name of Lumla. BMG just gave me like twenty million dollars to start like the third major inside the BMG, I said, Irving is my first choice. And I didn't really know Irving, and I was nervous, and I went there wearing a shirt tie and he said we have a deal, and it says next time I see like, I don't want you wearing a tie like be you. So I thought we were doing this deal with Giant. So I'm like, all right, we got to come with a name that goes with Giant. Fate said Loud listening to the Urban Dialect.
Speaker 1: The name Loud is an acronym for the listeners of an urban dialect, was created by Fabian Duruiney, who was Steve's like right hand man at the time.
Speaker 4: Despite the handshake deal with Irving, had a perfect label name in Loud. Before the ink could dry. President of Giant Records, Charlie Minor, would intervene and derail the negotiations.
Speaker 2: So Charlie I let him rest in peace was the president of Giant.
Speaker 3: Charlie didn't really want to be in the hip hop gang, so we ended up at Zoo.
Speaker 4: Although it wasn't his first choice. Steve did the label deal with Zoo Records and began the process of building loud.
Speaker 3: Rich was miserable being a lawyer. He was like working in a closet and he was working from like seven in the morning to like midnight, you know, and he was miserable. And I said, Rich, why didn't you come here and work with me? You know, I need structure.
Speaker 1: He said, dude, I got a label deal. This is happening. You're ready to come into business with me. I'm like, what are you talking about? You know. He goes look and he shows me a piece of paper. You know, it's like some deal memo. So I'm like, holy shit, is this real? You know, it looks like it's real. He convinces me to come out to LA for two weeks for my vacation from my law job. So I went out there. He picks me up in a BMW. We go to dinner at some cool place in Beverly Hills or whatever. The girls are beautiful places pop and then we go to some studio there's some new girl group that's doing dance rehearsals. And out of my head spinning like this is ridiculous, we go back to his apartment. He has a two bedroom duplex. I'm sitting on the couch and he goes, how is your first day? I go, what do you mean first day? He goes, we just worked like the last six hours. They go, that's not work. We went for dinner and we checked out a studio. Goes, dude, that's work. That's what we did.
Speaker 4: The LAUD was still barely just more than a name. SRC was doing independent radio promotion for all the majors working records across the industry, including those of One Legend in particular. More importantly, though, Steve's marketing company was paying the bills to fund LOUD.
Speaker 3: At the time, and Scius to work in rspending with Tupac.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is crazy. I get totally sucked into this, you know. And then the next two weeks I would just go to meetings with him, hang out, watch what was going on, and he's introducing me to people as his general manager, and I'm like, okay, Steve. Whatever in my eyes were like when I get back home, I think it was like January. It's New York, dark, depressing, my shitty little apartment facing the alley in my cubicle office, and I'm going, why do I live like this? Like what is wrong with you? You know, like what kind of life is this? I could be there. He's like on me. He's like, dude, you got to do this. This is happening. So I figured out to like the dime how much I needed to pay my student loans to pay an apartment in LA. I said, give me fifty two thousand dollars and a piece of the company and I'll do it. He goes, no problem. So now I have to tell my parents. I was really worried to tell my dad. Surprisingly, my father, who was like a really blue collar guy, he was so thrilled that his son was a lawyer. And he goes, you know what, if you're not happy, just go for it, you know, so I don't worry about you. You'll be fine. So that really gave me confidence to just give it a shot, because that was the last thing I was expecting him to say. So I gave notice at my law firm, and I packed up and I went out to LA.
Speaker 4: However, when Rich touched down, he would quickly learn that Steve's situation in La wasn't exactly as it seemed.
Speaker 3: So he comes in on a Tuesday and Wednesday and we're having meetings. So that weekend Prim is having a dinner at this restaurant Clote Gang is Con It's a Chinese restaurant in Fairfax. And I had a BMW three twenty five and I give the car to the valet.
Speaker 2: His foot must have gotten stuck. The car goes in reverse on Fairfax.
Speaker 3: Lucky, how nobody dies, crosses over the divide a, swings ran and returned back, going back into a gas station.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? And the car gets totaled. This is Rich's first few days.
Speaker 3: I was like, this really can't be a good luck And then that Monday, I get the clote from Minutescope that they're letting.
Speaker 1: Us go Interscope was paying him a lot of money and then they decided they're going to start their own wrap division, so they stopped paying him, and he was using that money to pay me. So I'm like shit.
Speaker 4: With s RC's income influx, Rich rolled up his sleeves and immediately started trying to sort out Steve's businesses.
Speaker 1: The first week, I went to Steve's accountant's office and I said, show me the books. I didn't even know what that meant. It sounded like, you know something you're supposed to do when you're in business. They hand me this accordion file. Then I open it up and it's just a bunch of bills that were unpaid. So I take out a legal pad and a pen and I start writing down a list of all the bills and I'm like, okay, where's the money coming in? You know that much? I knew. Then they showed me this tiny little book with a couple of outstanding invoices, and I write that down and I look. I go, wait, I don't understand something. I go, he owes all these people money and he only has this much coming in. And the accountant goes, well, what do you mean? What don't you understand? And I was like, holy shit, what have I gotten myself into?
Speaker 4: Things looked a little bleak. But while Rich was fixing the finance, Steve was in the street sourcing talent, and through his SRC Street Team network, he would find Loud's first act, a fast wrapping MC from Chicago who would go on to become a legend.
Speaker 1: Steve had one artist signed, and it was Tongue Twister, who later became Twista so Loud Records at that time was one twelve inch, wasn't even an album yet. A first record was called No Peace Sign. Our deal with Zoo at the time was they don't have to spend any marketing money until we sell fifty thousand albums. So fifty thousand albums, there's a lot of albums just to sell on its own, you know. So again, well, probably when Steve made the deal, he wasn't thinking about how's this going to work? And I didn't make that deal, and if I did, I wouldn't have known any better at the time.
Speaker 4: Anyway, in order to stay solvent as a business, Loud needed to unlock that marketing money, so Steve and Rich went all in on breaking tongue Twister, known for his lightning fast wraps. The two applied to get Twisted in the Guinness Book of World Records as the faster Rapper Alive, and believe it or not, they managed to pull off the extremely cheap but priceless marketing stunt live on YOUOMTV raps, making their sole artist in overnight celebrity.
Speaker 1: We miraculously sell fifty thousand albums without any money. You know. We got him on in the Guinness Book of Records. He breaks Daddy Freddy's record on Yo MTV raps. We got him on Power one oh six. It's pretty miraculous. The head buyer for Warehouse Records, which is a big music chain on the West Coast, was this woman Violet Brown, who is an unsung hero in hip hop. Violet was one of the early believers in hip hop music as a lasting genre, and she was super powerful because her blessing and her buying a record, putting music in the stores was the only way to give an artist a chance. Violet was based in la and she was tuned into what we were doing. So Violet placed a huge order for Tongue Twister, and I remember the head of sales for Zoo, this woman Jane Simon Rest in Peace, lovely lady. She called me up and she's like, you're not gonna believe this. Dyla Brown just ordered twenty five thousand. We have fifty thousand orders for Tongue Twisted, and I'm like, holy shit, hang up the phone. I go into Steve's office like we just won the world series, you know, like we've been working on this for a year, and we get to this magic fifty thousand unit threshold. Now we can go into Lou Malley's office and make some demands, you know, like we can get some marketing money and really do our thing.
Speaker 2: So we hit the threshold.
Speaker 3: Lou clolls us well, high fiving each other like we're good, you know, like we're get to see a few hundred thousand dollars in marketing. And he says, guys, I got some bad news.
Speaker 1: He goes, listen, guys, I gotta tell you I just started this company. I'm already minus seventeen million for the year. The Germans are killing me. Because that's what he used to call BMG, the Germans. They were the corporate owners. He's like, they're killing me. He goes, I don't have an urban staff. I don't know what to do with these records. I'm just going to let you go.
Speaker 3: He says, I run out of money, and they're closing Zoo at the end of the year, and we're living off of richest credit cards right the second, and I think Rich is having an anxiety attack.
Speaker 1: I am ready to jump off a building at that point.
Speaker 4: While the loss of the deal with Zoo was gutting for both Rich and Steve, it also presented a new opportunity. They were now free agents with a modest hit record under their bill, so they headed to the Jack the Rapper convention in Atlanta in search of a new home for Loud.
Speaker 1: We go to Atlanta for Jack the Rapper, which is a big convention. Back then, this very important lawyer, Joel Katz. If we go to meet with him, he's based in Atlanta. Joel says, you know what's going on? Tell me a story, and Steven tells him, you know, we just lost our deal. And Joel says, hey, do you know who Ron Urban is? Ron is the CEO of RCAA Records. He's working out of my office. He's here in town. You guys should meet. So Steve goes for drinks with Ron Urban that night.
Speaker 3: He goes, all right, so this is going to be the deal. I'm going to give you five ten thousand a month, her budgets to seventy five thousand for our albums, and then you guys have funds for single deals, and then we're going to pay you a fifteen thousand a quarter to promote our recond So.
Speaker 1: We went from three thousand dollars a month and overhead to five thousand dollars a month, which was holy cow, and RCA was going to give us a thirty thousand dollars quarterly marketing fund to do whatever we wanted. So I'm thinking, wow, okay, this is a big stump up. You know, we're in the major leagues. It's RCA. We're getting one hundred and twenty thousand in marketing, our overhead sixty thousand. Now I'm like, okay, we're in business. So Steve really pulled a rabbit out of his ass to make this happen. So we signed the Alcoholics, and the Alcoholics debuted number seventeen on the R and B album chart, and RCA hadn't had an R and B album chart in years, So we are being celebrated, like who are these guys? You know, all of a sudden, we are like these two guys walking around the building too. Oh I got I gotta have a relationship with Stephen Rich because of the Alcoholics.
Speaker 4: The success of the Alcoholics put LOUD on the map and Steve and Rich were the new darlings at RCA. Not only were they signing artists and charting records, but they were also handling radio promotion for their parent company, Loud was finally starting to experience a real momentum, and this was just the beginning. Meanwhile, in Staten Island, a hip hop of Systeen was forging connections that would make both him and his network of new friends extremely consequential characters in the Loud story.
Speaker 5: I'm from Staaten Island, so from Chatland around that time, I was one of the few brothers to get off the island and then go away to school.
Speaker 4: This is Scott Free eventual A and R at Loud Records. At this point, though, he was just an aspiring rapper from Staten Island in a group called the Legion of Doom. This would lead him to befriending other local MC's, including a buddy star from an adjacent neighborhood named Prince Rakeem better known to the world as the Rizza.
Speaker 5: Rizza was one of the one of the cats that every now and then we get off the island, you know, we take trips to Bronx River, we go to Brooklyn and we look for records stuff like that. I think he had a crib with ghosts. Him and Ghosts had a spot Stapleton. But you know, unlike the rest of us, Rizz was pretty much living on his own, you know, hustling, but he had he had the equipment, you know what I mean. I went to University of Maryland, College Parking, continue my hip hop education however you want to put it down there. But you know, I still stayed in touch with my boys from from the Island.
Speaker 4: Well Scott attended University of Maryland. He would make frequent trips with his friends to nearby Howard University. One weekend, the Rizza, then signed to Tommy Boy Records as Prince Rakeem decided to join them.
Speaker 5: Rakeem had come down for the Howard Hip Hop Festival and me and the cru since we were down there and we scooped them out from the am track that someone whatever that was, he had dropped sexicapaides and Ooh we love you Rakim, Ooh we love you. Rakim had had a video Sessica page was like on the B side. I could see what he was trying to do, you know what I mean. He was trying to peel a little bit more outside of the box or whatever. But it wasn't really what I was used to hearing from him. What he was doing, you know, on a regular and you know what I was later on started to hear you know from him and his crew.
Speaker 4: While riz ahone did on his sound Howard Homecoming would introduce Scott to another main character in the Loud story, Maddie C, a young writer at the Source magazine. Maddy penned the famed Unsigned Hype column, which would put a spotlight on and ignite the careers of artists like Notorious, Big Common and Mob Deep.
Speaker 6: So Scott Free at the time was in MC and he was bringing me his demo material. We met in college through mutual friends, and so he started coming up to the Source a lot.
Speaker 4: This is Matti C, future director of A and R at Loud.
Speaker 6: First playing me demos by his group the Legion of Doom, and then a couple of other things from Staten Island. Mainly he knew Rizza and had been to his crib as just another Staten Island MC that was coming through to possibly record share music. And the first thing that Scott let me hear was a song called Rugged and Raw when the WU was just Rizza, Jizza and ODB and it was just them three on the song.
Speaker 5: This record was phenomenal to this, you know, to this day, I still try to sometimes go through my tapes to see if that record pops up right.
Speaker 1: You know, it's old dirties.
Speaker 5: It's like it's rugged in roll, it's ruggoed in roll. Then he comes in fook a fuck a fuck a fuck of Foo from out of the Blue, first number two. Theygas won a step to the Wu Tank, you know what I mean, Dirty had that whole that whole steeze down pad at that.
Speaker 6: Point, and then a couple other people started showing up at my office talking to me about Wu Tang just kind of beat this buzz.
Speaker 5: Wizza had blessed me with the protective next single and was like, yo, yo, take this up to your boys up there. Let them hear you know what we're working on. So I took the joint to Matt. He would do a write up on whatever new twelve inches were coming out at the time. That became the first, I think independent twelve inch to be profiled in the Source.
Speaker 6: The guys started coming up to the office to source Rizza a Meth, all of them. Rizza would be the main one who would come up as well as Meth and just kind of play music, listen to music and talk about the planet and we go into the stairway smoke weed, and he would talk about his plan to get individual deals for each of these artists before I think there was an actual plan for the whole group per se, you know, in place, and at this time was when he was envisioning this all as an independent thing.
Speaker 4: Matty's right up on Protecting Neck in the source of shureshot single column, legitimize the record and put the very local, very independent group in front of a national audience. With Wu Tang gaining serious buzz. It wasn't long until the track landed on the radar of Steve and Rich.
Speaker 1: We had a guy that worked for us named Trevor Williams, one of our LA based guys who called the college radio and he used to talk to this DJ named Jason Stateon. He's a college radio DJ, and Jason, just as a hip hop fan, sent protect Your Neck and he flipped and he sent Trevor the viron. I'm like, dude, you got to hear this record.
Speaker 3: So trev gives me the record. I just quit smoking like a week ago. I'm just like, I'm losing my mind. I go, there's no fucking hook to this song. Trevor goes is the biggest record in the world.
Speaker 1: Trevor plays it in the office just as you got to hear this crazy shit, and everybody's like, WHOA, what is that? Steve hears it, he what is that? We make some calls, He makes some calls. Everybody's trying to find out what the deal is in Wu Tang and Steve tracks down Rizza.
Speaker 3: So this is in January. I'm trying to get in touch with Rizza. I've spoke to him once, but he has no answering machine. I go to New York for my thirty first birthday. I'm at RCA. The reception goes print trak hemans here. I'm like really, and he comes up. He goes, the guys are downstairs, can we come up and played the record? They come up, there's eight of them, and the officers just picture what a guest office looks like.
Speaker 2: It's a closet, and they stop performing the record. Some guy comes.
Speaker 3: Barging in and says, that's that shit, and I never seen him again. I signed not because I loved the record, I love the energy. Whatever that fucking guy was. And Trevor beating the fuck out of me. He's saying that's that shit we start negotiating.
Speaker 1: Rizzi was kind of jaded in the music business because he had a bad experience with Tommy Boy when he put out his own record. So he decided, I'm going to do this myself. You know, I guess he liked us, felt secure enough to do this deal with us, and we said, look, this is all we can offer you. You know, we're with the RCA. So we made a deal. We get Protection Act at B side and the video for Protecting Act for ten thousand dollars and eighteen boys, and then if we sell fifty thousand units of the single, we have to put out an album. We have to give them the money to make an album. That was the deal. Rizza said, Okay, I'll do it. One caveat, Rizza said, he'll do the deal if he's allowed to shop the solo artist. I have to be able to take the guys to different labels.
Speaker 4: So the guys had a deal, or so they thought. Unfortunately, Rizzus one caveat was a much bigger ask that either Steve or Rich had anticipated.
Speaker 6: There's this inherent small print in every record deal when you sign a group that if any of you guys go solo.
Speaker 1: That stays with us.
Speaker 4: So the idea that Rizza saw this guy Steve.
Speaker 6: Rifkin as like, oh, you're gonna give me a deal and we can go solo because that's unheard of, And so I think Steve didn't really know.
Speaker 1: That that was unheard of. So we go to RCA Business Affairs and say this is the terms they want, this little caveat that they could sign the artists to other labels, and they go no, no, no, no, no, not happening, Like what do you mean? You know, there is the thing in the music industry that standard called a leaving member provision whatever. We could get this band for ten thousand dollars a song selling like not happening. We can't change this precedent. This has been going on in the music industry forever. So from somebody who wasn't in the music business to me, I'm like, this makes no sense. Of course, Steve's apoplectic about this as well. How are we going to not keep this band? And they kind of business affairs at RCAA, who was kind of like a rabbi to me, this guy Rogers Skelton, Roger said I'll help you out. I'm going to come up with a solution. So he goes and talks to his bosses and he comes back and he says, Okay, here's what we'll agree to do. If they agree that we have a matching right to any offer that they get, and if we match that offer, they have to stay with RCA loud so Rizza says fine, And so that was a great solution that had never been done before, believe it or not, in the history of the music business.
Speaker 4: Rich got the Wu Tang deal across the finish line, but in the process made a costly oversight by giving Wu Tang Clan and astounding eighteen points.
Speaker 1: Steve's unbelievably good at relationships, drumming up business marketing himself, connecting the right people, finding the right people, but no clue as to the business side of things, and that was why he brought me in. Little did he know that I didn't know anything. For instance, when we signed Wu Tang Clan, you know, I knew what our agreement was at the time. I think we got fifteen points for a single from RCA and I did the deal. You know, at that time, I thought I was learning something and we had no money to pay a lawyer even so I was like, okay, I'll get a form. I'll read the Donald Passman book. And I had a couple of friends that were lawyers in the business. At that point, I said, can you send me a production deal form? So I kind of cut and paste a production deal and stupidly, I ended up giving Wu Tang eighteen points for each single that they sold, and we only were getting fifteen points. It didn't dawn on me to look until Wu Tang started selling. I remember I looked at the contract that I drafted, and then I looked at the contract we had with RCA, and I was like, holy shit, what an idiot. We're losing money every time we sell a record. And I went to the head of business affairs at RCA and I told him what I had done, and he's like, don't worry about it. You know, we'll fix it. Because they were making so much money, it was negligible and he took care of made it.
Speaker 4: In fact, the single for Protecting It, backed with method Man, was selling so well the group's members started fielding solo offers long before Wu Tang's debut album Ever hit shows. Still, despite all that buzz, the group couldn't get the attention of RCA's top brass.
Speaker 1: By the time we closed our Wu Tang deal, now def Jam offered method Man one hundred and eighty grand. We go to RCA and said, we're gonna lose nothing, man, you got to give us one hundred and eighty grand, and they're looking at us like you're crazy. We're not giving you one hundred and eighty grand for this unknown hip hop gun. We'd sit around the table at RCA and all the guys that were running the department's great people, great executives, but they all came from Nashville. The president of the company was from RCA Nashville. The head of marketing was from RCA, Nashville. The head of sales was from RCA, Nashville. So they're like guys doing country music who are now running a major label in New York and we're coming to them with hip hop records by the Wu Tang Clan and ghost Face Killer and Jizz. So they would laugh. They would literally sit in the meetings and laugh when we'd say the names of the guys that were in the band. They're like, oh, it sounds like Chinese food, and we're like how are we going to get these guys to understand what this is.
Speaker 7: I was working at RCA LA and they weren't really helping.
Speaker 4: This is Joseph Mojo Nicosia, a veteran New York City club DJ turned radio promotion executive. Mojo worked at Loud's parent company RCA and would become Louds inside man. As Steven Rich's operation grew, they would eventually bring Mojo on board as one of their vps of radio promo.
Speaker 7: Steve and I Matt and he almost got a fight with Terry Anzalder, who is my boss on the West Coast. He was trying to talk to this guy to go to radio with Wu Tang Clan and he just wasn't hearing it, and Steve and him almost got in a fight. I like got in the middle of it and he left. Terry looked at me as he's a piece worker. I've said, at least he gives a shit about his artist. We should be helping him. And that's when I decided I was going to help him.
Speaker 4: So while Steve was ready to physically fight people in the office to get the machine behind his artists, and he did start to make some allies in the building along the way, it wasn't enough to hold on to most of the Wu Tang Solo deals.
Speaker 1: So they wouldn't agree to Method Man one hundred and eighty. So we lost Old Dirty and we lost Method Man, and then you know, we kind of had a wink and a nod understanding with Rizza at that point, and he said, look, I have a plan. I want to have my own label and I'm going to have ghost Face signed to me, and if you guys can make us a good deal, you guys could keep Ray Kwan.
Speaker 4: With Wu Tang soloists spreading out across the industry, Riza wanted to make sure that he was on top of everything going on with the group's debut project at Loud, so we hit Scott Free and asked him to be the group's A and R to ensure that he had an inside man working at the label.
Speaker 5: So once that started going down, Rizzarth told me, oh, go get in touch with this guy named Steve Ifkin go check him out. We need somebody up in the office like watching our ass and helping us out with this with this shit. I gave Steve a call. He got back to me and was like, let's sit down, let's talk. He had told Stretch Armstrong that he was gonna sit down with me, and Stretch was a good good friend of mine, and Stretch definitely gave the co sign or something like yo free would be good in helping you, you know, with A and R shit. He's got good ears and good dude and this and this and that. So Stretch kind of gave me like a real big co sign with Steve.
Speaker 4: Armed with a co sign from underground radio DJ Stretch Armstrong and a personal connection to Rizza. Scott became the first official New York employee at Loud Records. With Scott in place to help Wu Tang negate the loud system, Steven Rich would lean on Mojo to get the RCA machine behind the group.
Speaker 7: We went and saw Wu Tang Clan perform, and then I went into Butchwa's office and said, Okay, what's my budget. He gave me the numbers and I said, I'm going to put the whole thing on Wu Tang Clan and Loud Records. We had a big argument and I said, if it's my department, that's what I want to do, and he let.
Speaker 2: Me do it.
Speaker 7: I think it was within four days. I had them in vans and we were driving all over the place trying to break their record. In the van, they played Wu Tang clean all the time, entered the thirty six chambers over and over and over and over. So at one point it really hit me like how unbelievable it was.
Speaker 1: I became possessed.
Speaker 2: Riza had this style of the way that he got me.
Speaker 7: He would get everyone on the road, he would explain what the metaphors in their lyrics were, and I remember he said, we're going to spread this like a virus.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 7: Risa was all so he made milestones of where the p and ls and sales were going to be, and he was pretty much right the whole way. They worked hard, They worked really hard. They were out there going for it, and that's what really built LOUD was that we were just jumping vans and go.
Speaker 4: Just like Riza plan, Wu Tang was spreading like a virus. The group and the entire staff at LOUD knew the ensemble was special, but none of them had any clue how far The group's debut entered. The Wu Tang was about to take them all, but on the night of the album's release, both partners would be made fully aware.
Speaker 1: The night of the Wu Tang album release party, we had dinner with the president of RCA kind of to celebrate the success of the alcoholics, Like that was a big deal, Like we're getting acknowledged. The President's giving us a dinner. We went from that dinner to Webster Hall and we were about three blocks away from Webster Hall and all the streets are closed off. I'm like, what is going on here? We think there's like a police issue. So we get out of the cab, so let's just walk because we're gonna be late for this party. And we'd come around the block and we see the line wrapping around the corner and we look at each other and we're like, holy shit, this is for our event. This was for the Wu Tang album release party. And we're just looking at each other in disbelief. Like we knew Wu Tang was happening, but we had no idea what a big sensation it was gonna be until that night.
Speaker 4: Steve and Rich had witnessed Wu Tang Mania with their own eyes, but neither could have expected the global phenomenon The group would become. From starting with the Novelty Act to signing the greatest group in hip hop history. LAD was now on its way to becoming the hottest label in wrap. However, as quickly as the company would rise to the top, it would soon all come crashing down. But to hear the heights of the label's success and how it all unraveled, you're gonna have to tune into Part two of the Lab record story right here on Idea Generations All Angles. This episode was brought to you by Will Packer, Executive produced by John Valachick and Helena Ox, original music by Valentine Fritz, edit and sound mixed by Nonsensible Production, and hosted by me Idea Generation founder Noah Callahan beveret. Idea Generation's All Angles is a Will Packer Media podcast