Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tammy di Dario. Today's guest is the brilliant Emmy nominated actress and singer songwriter McKenna Grace. You may know McKenna from playing a younger version of Brie Larsen's Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel, or maybe you saw her playing the preteen version of Kieran and Shipka's Sabrina in Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Or maybe even as a young Tanya Harding in Itanya, which is personally one of my favorite movies. So good, but get this. In twenty twenty one, McKenna became one of the youngest ever actors in history to receive an Emmy nomination recognizing her work as a rebellious child bride in The Handmaid's Tale. And all of this was accomplished before she turned seventeen. Yeah, she is a total rock star. All right, Get your cozy sweaters, your scarves, a big cup of hot tea light, your pumpkins ice candle or okay, maybe twenty of them like me. Because her brand new five song EP called Autumn Leaves is out now and we are diving in. McKenna is vulnerable and open and really raw with her lyrics, and we get to see a different side to her aside that I, for one, I just I found so very relatable. She writes from her heart and it is on full display, and she leaves you wanting more, like twenty songs more because it is that good. So let's see if today we can get McKenna to say something that she's never said before. McKenna, Grace, it is so nice to see you. How are you today? O great? How are you? I am so good. I'm really good because you put me in all the fall vibes with your new ep, Thank You.
Speaker 2: I'm trying.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it is so good. It's such a perfect time of year for you to come out with this. Of course, it's called Autumn Leaves. It's a five song EP for everybody listening out now. It's ethereal yet it's powerful. It's stripped down yet it's cinematic. The instrumentals are just incredible. So describe the overall feeling and vibe of Autumn Leaves for me?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I just really wanted to make it. Thank you. That's such like a nice description. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just really wanted it to feel very I feel like I'm moving into it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't feel like I know.
Speaker 3: I am moving into a different space with my music versus kind of the pop punk EP that I first came out with. And I think that I'm just wanting to kind of represent not anymore because I did write this a little bit of time ago, but where I was as a person at the time, and I want to move into feeling cinematic and floey and my producer Cody will always get live strings on it, and I think that it's so beautiful and and just I want everything to feel really cinematic and like a story and like something that you know. I want it to make sense from start to finish, the EP, the story and all the words and lyrics that I'm singing.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I wanted it to feel really fall and heartbreak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it certainly does. So how would you describe what you were going through in your life personally when you wrote these songs, because it is a very very personal look into who you are and what you've gone through.
Speaker 2: It definitely is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wrote this about my first like actual heartbreak. You know. It was the first time I ever felt like I was in love, and now looking back, I'm like, oh gosh, it was. It was pretty silly, And I don't know. I'm the kind of person that holds onto things for a long time. And I think that I wrote this and a lot of other music I have hopefully coming out at some point just kind of in a place where I didn't get closure on the situation, and I just felt like so sad and alone and heartbroken for way too long, and so I don't know, I just happened to channel it all into music.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, heartbreak is definitely the major theme throughout these these songs, but I would actually argue you walk away with a positive message after listening. Is that something that you think as well?
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 3: My main thing was I feel like I got all of my like little AnGR or biting songs out of my system whenever I released my last EP, and I just felt really sad and I felt like I didn't have really not that I ever want to say anything bad about anyone, but anything like bad.
Speaker 2: To say about this person.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I'm just sad and I can't say anything to you because you aren't responding. So I just feel like I should put everything I feel into.
Speaker 2: This music, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's not it's negative emotions, but not negative exactly towards you. It's just like, here's what you'll never say, Here's how I'm feeling, and I know I have to let go it. And it took me a while after writing all of these songs to get that last song of like I know that I have to let go. All of this happened last fall and only kind of later into the summer did I finally feel like, Okay, I like really have got to.
Speaker 2: Let go of this.
Speaker 3: It's silly and I've just far and so I finally did. And it's just like it's nice to have that on there. As you know, I might not have closure on everything, but I can give myself my own like peace of mind and closure and like you know what life goes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and giving yourself your own peace of mind, I think is the greatest gift. We've all been through experiences where we want that closure and we don't necessarily always get it, So to give it to yourself, I think is one of the biggest gifts we can give right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, though I would love a little bit of closure.
Speaker 1: You're like, well, I think it quite enough.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, it was nice to finally be able to write that.
Speaker 1: Is there a song on this EP that was more difficult than the rest for you to write?
Speaker 3: I don't know, probably midnight in London because that was kind of like because I was writing it and I was like, well, guys, I'm not over it, so I don't want to say this, and They're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: But you have to be.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, okay, fine, God, I'll write this and I'll say it and I know I have to let go, but I don't want.
Speaker 2: To, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's not easy to do. Is your songwriting process super for anetic? Is it peaceful? Is it random? Do you wake up at four? I am like, oh, I have a thought. I mean, how do you put together a body of work?
Speaker 3: I mean, it definitely depends. It really really depends. I mean the other night, my dad and I just took a trip and we went to rock slash Metal festival over the weekend and we had gotten back and both of us were so tired. But I was just laying up like in bed in this hotel, like just writing and writing, and my dad was like, can you go to bed? We have to get up in the morning and drive home. And I was like, no, I have so many thoughts.
Speaker 2: Like I can't go to bed.
Speaker 3: And I ended up getting to bed by like three, And I have this really scrambled, big gold like paragraph in my notes app at this point. But then other times I like to write on paper and I use a lot of pinterest. I think it really depends on what it is that I'm writing about.
Speaker 1: And you're someone who likes to write about what you're going.
Speaker 3: Through completely, I feel like I feel like it's I can't write about something if it isn't how I'm feeling. Because in my last ep, you know, I wrote about heartbreak and breakups, but it was more just a way because it was all entirely true to me, but saying that it was a breakup of a relationship was easier to convey in the music. But it was more of like a breakup of a friendship, or maybe it was a about a family member, maybe it was about this.
Speaker 2: But everything that.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling, I feel like I get annoying and songwriting sessions sometimes because someone will suggest something and I'll be like, I love that, and it's like such a good lyric, but I feel like I can't sing that because that didn't happen to me. And I don't want to be lying about this situation that nobody will ever know who this person is, nobody will ever know what this situation is. But I feel like I'm like, I don't know. I don't want to lie about them or about this, even though it's not a lie, it's a lyric.
Speaker 2: It's like I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't feel right to me, and I feel like I have to be as truthful as possible.
Speaker 2: But it is different.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I write songs through a character's perspective or for a film about the film or things like that, But whenever I'm writing for my own personal stories, I always get really specific in things that I reference or mention, and it's just kind of things that only like I would know, or only other people in that situation would know, and it's just like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just makes it extra like special listening back to it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's the magic of your work is it's so visual. And you know you mentioned Midnight in London and I love that. I loved that song for so many reasons, but I could really see every single frame of that song like playing out like a movie, and I thought it's I thought the message was incredible as well, just about having to let go and the importance of having to let go? Is that something throughout your life that was a hard lesson for you to learn?
Speaker 2: I don't even think that I've learned that lesson.
Speaker 3: Still like I wrote that song, but I still like I'm the type of person it's I feel like I really touched on it in my song November.
Speaker 2: I'm just the person I don't let go of things.
Speaker 3: I don't know I have like I'm looking at this little trinket shelf in front of me. That is another example that it's just like I see things and I create emotional attachments to them, and then it's just like, oh, well, now I can't watch this movie without thinking of a person, and it's like, what can I do?
Speaker 2: You know, It's just like, I don't know, I just hold on to things for way too long.
Speaker 3: I'm not great at letting things go, but I'm definitely I'm trying.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I don't know if it's a bad thing to be able to let certain things go. I'm the same way. I attach such emotional meaning to so many things, like stupid things. I'll have something on a shelf for like ten years, and my husband will be like, do you really need that? And I'm like, yes, because in nineteen ninety eight and one day I had lunch with somebody who gave it to me. Like it's so crazy the things I attach meaning to, But I don't know if it's always a bad thing.
Speaker 3: I think that it's important to let go of things that are not healthy to you anymore. But to me, everything that I've experienced with a person or just in my life is important and it carries some sort of meaning or value. And I've like, even if I don't talk to a person anymore, or even if they like really hurt me or I don't like them, or even if everything ended happily, but I can't let go of it. I still think that it's important to not have regrets about things that hurt you, because it's just like it happened and you.
Speaker 2: Learned a lesson and it made me who I am.
Speaker 3: Like there's so many things in my life that I feel like I would regret if I wasn't a songwriter and I did not see how it changed the way I write, or how it changed the way that I think, or how it changed the way that I like interact with the world around me. I just think that it's important to hold on to little things at least.
Speaker 1: When you brought up November earlier, there was a line in that song that I was just heartbroken hearing because I feel like, again, it's so relatable, and that line was I'm so tired of being patient, always waiting for something that never lasts. What were you going through when you wrote that?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just me.
Speaker 3: I'm very, very very much a hopeless romantic, but like everything anything, everything romantically is very important to me. Like I don't take it lightly, even as silly as going on a day or kissing someone, Like to me, it's still like a big deal. It's like, oh my god, that's like massive to me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just like I love love so so much, and I so badly want to be in love, but I also never want to rush it. But I'm like, oh, but when am I gonna fall in love? But I need to wait. But if something comes along, like I wouldn't be opposed to it, but also it might not be you know, like I'm just.
Speaker 2: Always all over the place.
Speaker 3: I'm always like I can't wait to fall in love someday, but then it feels like I don't know, it's like it never lasts and I'm just so sad. And then I feel like the line either before or after that is like telling myself, this too shall pass. And that's what my mom always says to me. That's like, that's my mom thing, is that my mom's always like.
Speaker 2: This too shall pass, like you'll makeet through this and X y Z and so it's just like a little personal motto.
Speaker 1: So you were totally a hopeless romantic.
Speaker 2: Completely.
Speaker 3: It's so bad that, like completely, and it ties into me like always holding on the little like silly things I I don't I love love.
Speaker 2: I love love.
Speaker 1: Listen, there are worse things to love. So I'm a hopeless romantic too. I love it. I'm the guy that's like watching a cheesy rom com crying his eyes out because it's so beautiful.
Speaker 3: I never thought of myself as somebody who like cried in movies or anything like that until I just recently started watching a bunch of rom coms and I'm like, wow, I'm a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the same way. Do you have a favorite rom com? Hmm?
Speaker 3: I just watched How to Lose a Guy in ten Days Classics.
Speaker 2: I just watched that. That was really that was really funny. I thought that it was sweet.
Speaker 1: Have you watched The Holiday Holiday as Kate.
Speaker 2: Winslet No, no, no, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Okay, one of my all time favorites for everyone listening pop in the Holiday? It will make you cry and feel all the feels.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I'll put it on my watch list.
Speaker 1: Yeah you must so you know. Yes, there's a lot of heartbreaking your songs. But I imagine that you have to stay optimistic to be able to keep the hope alive, to be able to want that love one day, to still believe in it. Right, So how do you stay optimistic when you do experience such heartbreak?
Speaker 2: I don't know. This is too shall pass. I just like.
Speaker 3: I have a firm belief that all that is meant to be like what happened, I am putting it in God and.
Speaker 2: The Universe's hands. You know, I.
Speaker 3: Know that there's someone out there for me romantically, keeping hope alive. I just know that someday, I don't know how I know, but I'm just like, someday, I know that it'll happen. I don't know when it'll be who it'll be, and I hate having to sit around and wait, but like, I don't know, there's some sort of plan out there in the universe for something, and I feel like I don't know. My fate is just like in the universes and in God's hands, so there's nothing I can do about it. I just have to wait and see what happens, and until then I can write all of my silly, little sad songs.
Speaker 1: Yes, and having that belief is so important. I think that listen, life is a crazy, messy, windy ride and we never know what's going to happen. And I think that as long as you go through it knowing what you want, knowing what you don't want, what you're willing to not sacrifice on right and waiting for the right thing is so important. And we have to go through our heartbreaks and our messes to get to the crown jewels.
Speaker 3: I like to say, yeah, it makes you who you are, and I mean without all of the heartbreak, and all of the messy things in life, you know, like how are you ever going to learn what you want or who you are or you know what you don't like like or what you do like or all the things.
Speaker 2: I mean everything.
Speaker 3: It's like I said earlier, everything is just like a learning experience and I don't know everything's important.
Speaker 1: And it's just like, yeah, and you just nailed it. Was I was in something in my young twenties that was so wrong for me for a million reasons. Thank god I went through that because now I know what it is that works for me and that I wanted and you know, I'm happily married and all the things. So yes, you have to go through your journey, and it's all, it's all a part of it. I So I felt so many different inspirations through your music through listening, and I'm curious to hear from you. Who are your biggest musical inspirations right now?
Speaker 3: Lana Delray, I have like on my wall over here, I have like a bunch of pictures of her.
Speaker 2: I love Lana Delray. I don't know. I think that she's so brilliant in the way that.
Speaker 3: She like is so old Hollywood and cool, but it's like in a weird, darker modern way, which I think is so rad because I don't know, Like I said, I want to stay cinematic and very like old Hollywood is my favorite type of vibe, and so I don't know that's right now.
Speaker 2: But at the time of writing this EP, because.
Speaker 3: It always jumps all over the place, it went from like Letigra and Green Day and Nirvana.
Speaker 2: To uh at the time, it was honestly just so many heartbreak songs.
Speaker 3: I have like a whole, whole long long playlist here it is, okay. I was listening to a lot of Miski, I was listening to a lot of Mac DeMarco and Taylor Swift and Lord, a lot of all of your ego of course, and surprising I love the Lala Lamb soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Oh it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that that really like ties into wanting to feel cinematic in your music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. And it's funny you brought up Lana because she came into mind right away, and and Taylor came to mind too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah for real, I just I And I'm such a fan of our work. I think you are part of that that tribe now and releasing such moving and beautiful and you keep saying the word cinematic, and I know that's so important to you, and I truly feel like that's what you came out with. So it's really cool, Like, I are we gonna get some some music videos possibly?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's nice.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of them written and I may or may not be doing something this week, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 1: Fantastic because I mean, we've got to see this come to life. It's it's made for a music video, so we will eagerly await that may or may not happening. We'll see what will happen. But it's evident you love music, right and you also love acting. I know there's over seventy credits to your name, but songwriting and music is such a different thing, I imagine for you. So what is it about music that fulfills you in a different way than acting?
Speaker 2: Acting?
Speaker 3: To me is such it's really fulfilling, like playing a deep character or getting to film emotional scenes or doing something deep like that, or just playing any characters really fulfilling, like as an actress, and I love acting so much, But then music is fulfilling in like a deeper personal way.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Music's music is my very public therapy, you know. It's just like I sit and I write, and I write, and I write all of the time now, and I can't stop because it's just my way to get all of my emotions out and whether I put it out there or not, you know, Like there's dozens of songs that I've written just because it like benefited my own mental health to just like write those things down and say them out loud in the form of song, I suppose.
Speaker 2: So it's just it's fulfilling in a different way.
Speaker 3: And it's nice to be able to share my own stories as much as I love telling everybody else's and getting to dive into different people.
Speaker 2: It's I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've been acting. I'm seven, and then I've been acting for twelve years, so that's like a lot of my life. And so I've been pretending to be other people and learning how to like be younger versions of someone, or how to play a different character, or like spending all night trying to figure out how to play a real life person. And now I'm like figuring out who I am and so my songs, I feel like the mood of the music is always all over the place, but it's because I am too.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm finally just like growing into myself and figuring out like, Okay, I have my own personality. I'm my own person like who is that? And so I've been really figuring it out and music has really.
Speaker 2: Been helping that.
Speaker 1: Is being a singer songwriter easier or harder than playing a character?
Speaker 3: I'd say it's it's probably easier because I'm a really emotional person. And I probably get that because I have to be so open with my emotions and acting.
Speaker 2: But I'm just a.
Speaker 3: Very deeply emotional person and so it's very easy for me to just like spill my guts all the time whenever songwriting. But I'd say like whenever it comes to performing, doing a live performance is way scarier because you only have one shot.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, interesting, Even scarier than a camera like in your face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because at least with like the camera in my face, I have like thirty takes to do it. But I mean, I don't know, there's just something about being on stage and whenever you're acting, you know, of course there's a crew around you and whatnot. But there's just something different about looking out at everybody and they're watching you, like in that moment, and they're watching what you're doing, and you have like one chance to do it, and you're like, well, pure goes nothing, and it's just so scary, but it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Well that makes total sense. It's amazing that you can do it all in all different avenues of creativity. Going back to the EP for a minute. Autumn. Why Autumn? Autumn?
Speaker 2: Oh? I love fall, Like I'm feeling so fall right now.
Speaker 3: I have like my best cup of tea, I have my little like brown sweater on, I have like last night I had like two different fall candles.
Speaker 2: Going and two different corners of my room. I love fall. It's my favorite season. I don't even know what else to say. It's just perfect whenever it starts getting just a little bit chilly and all the leaves turn, and.
Speaker 3: Then you can start wearing sweaters without feeling like ashamed of yourself because I just love sweaters so much, and I'll wear them during the summer, but then.
Speaker 2: It's too hot and I'm dying. But I'm like, God, but this is my favorite sweater.
Speaker 3: And it looks so good and so like I don't know, breaking out the tea, Halloween, scary movies all month, and then it's just it's also such a nice time for anything romantic, and I don't know, there's always the worst heartbreaking fall too.
Speaker 1: I find I'm with you, and I don't want to make this about me, but I did happen to wear my burgundy in your honor today in my Fall theme for you, so I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm in my Fall theme for.
Speaker 1: You or Fall Twins. I love that. I'm a New York City boy. I'm in New York right now. I'm from the East Coast, so we really get fall.
Speaker 2: I love New York.
Speaker 3: I write about it all the time in my EP and album I Love New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a special city. Something else that came to mind when I was listening to this, You know, you're writing about people essentially or somebody. Do you ever worry about putting out your personal life and how that person is going to view what you're saying? Like is there a line you won't cross? Are you cognizant to change certain things? Like? How is that process when there is somebody else involved? As a songwriter.
Speaker 3: It's terrifying because I get so specific and I'm saying things that you know, like only I and this other person will know. It's scary because I'm like, oh my god, everybody's going to know who I wrote this about. Everybody's going to know this, but it's like nobody's going to know. It's just like it's nobody's gonna no except for us. And so I was. I was frustrated in my last EP, and I wrote a lot of things that weren't the nicest.
Speaker 2: And so I did have some phone calls.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know, I just feel like, man, I still have a phone call to make in regards to this EP, and I'm not looking forward to it. But I feel like it's important. Even though I feel like I'm not saying anything wrong or bad, I'm just saying how I felt and putting my emotions out there. I feel like it's only fair just to be like, hey, by the way, I wrote a lot of music, but it's also because you broke my heart.
Speaker 2: But I wrote a lot of music and I'm putting it out there.
Speaker 3: And luckily, like from my last EP, you know, those phone calls actually came a lot of good and now this person that I was so upset with for so long and who like I was like, felt like really hurt me or rogby you know, now we're like tight and friends again and it's just like amazing, and I'm like great, well, and now they make jokes all the time about remember whenever you wrote that song about me, and I'm like, yeah, if you like are mean again, then I'll write more. But actually a really funny story is that while I was recording what You'll Never Say, like singing myself the apology that I never received, I got my first phone call from this person in over like eight months, and I actually like have the take of me like like a cold, dirty out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: And so I was, I was singing this song and I have the take of me going, oh my god, so and so is calling me.
Speaker 3: And then like my producer, who like has been there through everything through whenever I was writing this Autumn Leaves Love song to now finishing this heartbreak.
Speaker 2: Epee uh you know, and we freaked out.
Speaker 3: And then I kind of got the apology like semi that semi that I never received, and it was like crazy and I was like, that's such an insane story to have now is that I'm singing myself the apology I never received, and then all of a sudden I kind.
Speaker 2: Of got it.
Speaker 3: And so it was just like so strange, and it just like goes to show the universe works so weird, Like I as soon as I finished this project, now it's like, I don't know. Everything's kind of like nice again, and it's just like, I don't know, it's strange to see how everything works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and my heart break out of my system well.
Speaker 1: Right, and music's healing. I mean, that's why I think it's such an important art form that we all need to have. And I'm such an avid music listener and I don't know what I would do without music, And that's why it's one of the most important things in the world. To you. What makes music so important?
Speaker 3: I just connect so deeply, like emotionally with music, and it, whether I'm writing it or listening to it, helps me process my emotion and it can even whenever I'm acting, you know, it can really transport me to a place of very deep like emotions or sadness or anything. Like I listen to music constantly whenever I'm playing a character to get me into that headspace or that world, especially.
Speaker 2: With emotional scenes.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, finding a song that's like that is exactly how I feel. I'll listen to it until I can't anymore, you know, I don't know. I just think that there's something also so special about music and getting to see it live is so cool. Like I said, over the weekend, I was with my dad at this rock festival, which is so different than anything in regards to this EP, but like just getting to see everybody like jump around together and like feel that emotion and that vibe and everybody's so excited and hyped together.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, it's.
Speaker 3: So cool that just some people on stage with these silly little like stringed instruments can make people feel that and connect people in a way that they never would have connected before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it creates that sense of community, which I think we all need more than ever, which is again one of the brilliant things about music. When I look at you right now, you seem so light, you seem so excited, You seem like you did go through a lot of tough things that you wrote about, but you came out on the other side. So McKenna I'm curious to know if you could fill in this blank what you would say. I am at a point in my life.
Speaker 2: Where I'm at a point in my life where I'm you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm at a point in my life where I'm starting to like like myself, which is nice.
Speaker 2: It's a really nice feeling.
Speaker 3: I for so long, like I don't know, not to get all like sad or deever weird.
Speaker 1: Oh please, so long, I just like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, I didn't like myself for so long, like I felt like there was something so like deeply wrong with me.
Speaker 2: And now I'm like sitting here and I'm like, WHOA.
Speaker 3: I think I was just like a really like sad teenager for a little bit, and now I'm like, I turned seventeen, and I've been really working on improving myself and my body and my mental health.
Speaker 2: And then I just like cleaned up my room and made it really.
Speaker 3: Like light and cleaner and less clottered, and I'm just trying to, like, I don't know, breathe, and I'm just like, I don't know, I'm starting to get to like a positive place with myself, which I think is really nice because I'm like, oh, hey, I'm like, I'm feeling myself lately and it's really nice.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, oh, I don't know, it's nice.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Good for you. That self work is something that I think we should never stop striving for. And I love that you're at a place at seventeen where you're starting to realize the importance of that and taking time to allow yourself to grow in all those different ways that you just talked about. I think that's a really honest and cool answer. I usually wrap up my show by asking all of my guests, what is one thing that they've never said before? But I feel like that maybe is something you really haven't talked about before. Is that right?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of right now, like this entire interview and just kind of with this EP in general, I'm talking about, you know, things I've never talked about it publicly, Like I don't know. As much as I write about it, I don't I don't really talk about my breakups or break up I'm singular, I don't really talk about like I don't know, I could feel so weird, like talking about my personal life or like my emotions or like I don't know, but yeah, especially that, because I feel like it's just been such a thing for me for such a long time. And you know, I have like a few songs out there about feeling into here in myself, but I always, I always felt so strange releasing something like that because I felt like I didn't have like a moral of the story, or I wasn't on the other side of it, and so I felt like it wasn't fair for me to put something out there that's like negative about myself but not know like how to resolve that or how to fix it. I go through things in life, but that's not who I am, you know. And now I'm starting to finally realize that, because it's easy to say, like I'm just a sad person and that's who I am, and I just don't like myself or.
Speaker 2: I'm just this. But it's like I'm always, throughout my life going to go through moments where where.
Speaker 3: I probably hate myself or where I probably hate this, or where I hate this or that, or where I'm deeply sad or depressed.
Speaker 2: But that's not gonna last forever. That's not who I am.
Speaker 3: It's not something that will actively take over my life, like it's just bumps and phases along the road, and then the rest of life is going to be life, and whatever happens happens, and I'm gonna have so many more adventures and I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Have ups and downs, but it just like it comes and goes.
Speaker 3: And I think that it's nice to like I'm in like a more positive area of that ride right now and I'm happy about it. Well.
Speaker 1: And that's what I loved about this conversation today and about your EP is You're normalizing feeling all the emotions, and I think that's so important. You know, one of the most irritating questions to me that I get asked or someone else might get asked, is, oh, you seem really sad today. It's so unlike you Are you okay? It's like, I'm allowed to be sad. I do have a sad side as well, like I'm not always going to be happy. And I think that you talking about this and showing people that it's okay to feel what you feel and then pull out of it and carry on and not let it define you is such an important message. And I hope you realize that through being your honest self and through writing your truth you are helping a lot of people feel seen.
Speaker 2: I hope so.
Speaker 3: And I mean I'm saying this right now as if I wasn't like crying in the shower last night to Phoebe Bridgers, like I was so sad yesterday.
Speaker 2: But now I'm just like, oh, I'm feeling good right now.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's all over the place all the time, and I think that it's healthy and normal to feel that.
Speaker 2: But thank you. I try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a great message to put out there. Autumn Leaves is out now. How can people stream download all the things?
Speaker 3: All the things I don't know McKenna grace on like Spotify, rable music, ramas on music or any of the things. I have music videos on YouTube that I write myself then I co direct them.
Speaker 1: So all the things, all the things. Well, congratulations on this amazing ep. You heard it from Mechenna. Grab your fuzziest, coziest blanket and a cup of tea and light some pumpkin candles and I don't know, throw leaves around your room and listen.
Speaker 3: To this right absolutely yeah, the leaf throwing bit is really important.
Speaker 1: Just bring a vacuum, crucial, absolutely crucial. Thank you so much. Congratulations. I look forward to hearing more from you when the next round of inspiration hits.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's already coming. There's too much good.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, thank you, thank you, and happy fall. Congratulations, thank you, Happy ball. I've never said this before. It is hosted by me, Tommy de Dario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by me, Tommy, I've Never Said this before. It's part of the Elvis de Ram podcast network on iHeart Podcasts. For more, rate review and subscribe to our show and if you liked the episode, tell your friends until next time. I'm Tommy de Dario and I hope this show encourages you to say something that you've never said before.