Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club Morning. Everybody is the j n V.
Speaker 2: Jess Hilarious, Chelamaane the guy. We are the Breakfast Club Laura La Rossa Field in for just today.
Speaker 1: We got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed we have the brother Leon Thomas.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Bro. It's good, it's good. Hey y'all feeling how you feeling?
Speaker 4: Bless Black and Holly favorite Leon.
Speaker 5: You are by far the greatest new male R and B singer doing it today.
Speaker 1: Man, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: That shouldn't even be up with debate.
Speaker 1: Man, Man, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Man, how do you receive it?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, to be honest, I try to just take it one step at a time, you know, I try to stay humble with everything. But I'm glad to be a new voice in R and B. You know, it's a genre that I love. You know, I'm trying to bring back live musicianship, real songs. You know, writing with the team that I have has been in an amazing pleasure and you know, just bringing like that that organic feeling back to the live stage is like a big thing for me.
Speaker 3: You know, one of your biggest fans who's a produce.
Speaker 2: Sit up here. He put us on to you years ago. His name is Brandon, but he's actually this is the funniest thing. He's actually in Africa right.
Speaker 1: Now, really Vietnam.
Speaker 2: But he's a huge fan of y'alls. He goes to all your shows and all your concerts. Put us on to you early, but he would have he would have loved to see you here.
Speaker 1: For people that.
Speaker 3: Don't know Leon Thomas, you know you started on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody how you got your start and your way into being this R and B star.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I grew up in New York, started on Broadway. Out here. I did three Broadway plays from Lion King the Carolina changed the color purple. You assembled like, yeah, yeah, I was resembled in Lion King. And then you know, I started booking movies and TV show.
Speaker 3: But how how was that? I just took my kids to see it. It was insane. I was that training because it's.
Speaker 1: A lot of shows, a lot of people.
Speaker 3: In his lives. So you can't mess up.
Speaker 1: No, no, you can't mess up. It's eight shows a week. I was ten years old when I did my first Broadway play. Shout out to my mom and my family for you know, supporting me through that whole journey. And and yeah, man, I went from being a regular kid to starring on Broadway and a matter of months.
Speaker 2: You know, Now, how was that because it's it's not the typical thing New York kids do, right, So you're singing, you're dancing, you're doing it. So how did you get it to that point of no, because you don't go I don't know anybody it went to Brow It's very different kids.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I had a couple of homies who ended up in different plays, but for the most part, yeah, yeah, it was definitely like a bit of an anomaly for my neighborhood in Brooklyn. It was. It was kind of weird explaining it to my homies at school, like, yeah, I was just doing the show last night. They're like, what was going on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we're not from New York, from the hoods of New York.
Speaker 1: Okay, But no, it was definitely a real pleasure, you know. But but but from there, I ended up doing a lot of TV and film. You know. I shot my first movie out here with Robin Williams and Terrence Howard called August Rush which was an amazing pleasure, and that kind of brought me into a lot of a lot of TV after that with Nickelodeon and Victoria Victorious. Yeah yeah, Ariana Grande and you know, that was a big journey. That was the number one show on the network at the time. We were beating out American Idol, and it was a way for the rest of the world to kind of really tap into who I am as a creative. But it it took years of really honing in on who I am as an artist to get to this point, producing and writing for a bunch of different artists, winning a Grammy, working with Sissa and Babyface, Drake, a bunch of different people. It's been a real actually produced for Drake. But but you know, shout out to him and yeah, allegedly man, but you know, from me, I don't think there's anything wrong with it either. But it was a blessing to I mean, it's interesting because I'm an artist and people see me as a singer, they kind of forget that I also produced a lot of big records. You know, my production game is pretty tight. So but yeah, all purpose.
Speaker 5: Lyrics like that of a rap But that's why when I see Freddie Gibbs on your records, but it makes so much it SEMs to.
Speaker 1: Be anybody from Victoria's absolutely man. You know, I chop it up with Ari Avan, Joe Gia is a really good friend of mine. You know, Matt Bennett, a lot of the casts. We all hang out and do lunch. It's kind of like my last two years of high school were with them, so that's like my graduating class. Essentially. We were all in school together, so you know, we filmed, but we also went to school, so those are It was my really good friends.
Speaker 5: To Victoria and her mom. I did a host of the New Year's Eve specially with them for real.
Speaker 1: Oh that's dope, that's dope.
Speaker 4: People. You ever wrote for Ariana?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Actually I worked with her on her first album. That was my first time going number one with an album. I did about like four songs on her first album, Yours truly Wow. So that was a real, real pleasure. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was about to say like how did you know so young? And like just being like Okay, I can act, I can dance, I can sing, but I can also go produce over here, like how because a lot of people wait to diversify until they're like, you know, exposed.
Speaker 1: I mean, shout out to Jermaine Duprix. He used to have this YouTube series called Living of Life. It was a Jermaine Dupris and Brian Michael Cox, and they were always in the studio like filming their process, and you know, I saw them being rich black men, you know, also being able to be creative every day, and I wanted to kind of recreate that lifestyle for myself. Ryan Leslie as well, like seeing a lot of his YouTube videos inspired me to you know, open up logic and try to produce myself.
Speaker 2: You know, did you know you always wanted to be an R and B singer? Like it was that the goal as a kid growing up, always want to be an actor. Like and when did you pivot? When he was like, this is what I want to do.
Speaker 1: Listen. I feel like I did this role with Catherine Bigelow. She's an Oscar Award winning director, but I had to cut my dreads for it, and that was kind of like my last straw in acting. You know. I did this role for Detroit and I felt like, you know, I need to kind of tap back into who I am as an artist. And you know, grew my dreads back, really got into my internal self, meditating, really like tapping into who I am as a human being, and a lot of great music came out of that. You know, I always I wanted to be uh a singer, but I knew for a fact I needed to really present myself as who I truly was. It's so easy to play a character when you're always acting. You know, I needed to come to the world as my true self.
Speaker 5: Now you are timas the third Yeah, first to leon to have any background in music, not really.
Speaker 1: You know, but my grandfather. I didn't get a lot of time with my grandfather, but but my dad always told me that he was a real lover of music. And my dad sings, but he's an assistant principal now. But my grandfather, who actually recently just passed, God bless his soul, John Anthony, was an opera singer and was on Broadway and Hello Dolly, and used to be the music director for One Life to Live out Here in New York all of the soap operas back in the day. So you know, I was definitely surrounded by music just through through my mom and her side of the family was musician. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so so so my mom John Anthony, she she had a club day being in New York, used to play it, used to be the house band for the World Trade Center, you know, played a lot of the big clubs out here, and I just grew up backstage with her and you know, just really hanging out, you know, learning, learning music. So what was so the Black Rock Coalition. There was clubs like CBGB's and a rare of different clubs where it was kind of awkward at a certain point in the nineteen eighties where you know, rock was created by us, but there was definitely elements of prejudice within that genre. And all of the black rock stars decided to come together, you know, the cats from Living Color, a bunch of them just all came together to really protect each other through through through moments of you know, turmoil, through through that season of the eighties and early nineties, and it's just good to have each other's back, especially in the genre where you're not always celebrated.
Speaker 7: When you were on.
Speaker 6: The like the sets when you like even with like Victoria's and stuff like that, was your mom and like your parents there often oh yeah, my mom on they talked a lot about that too, Like parents were close.
Speaker 1: Now they were there, they were there. You know, my mom was never like a mamager like over my over my shoulder kind of mom. But she was also very protective of my piece and met health and sure that just like in a good, good space while I'm while I'm trying to create something timeless and you know, shout out to her always, you know, crean safe spaces for me throughout that journey, you.
Speaker 4: Know, from getting slimmed.
Speaker 1: It was definitely nuts, definitely nuts, you know, seeing seeing how definitely it's definitely definitely insane.
Speaker 4: Don't say that. Definitely nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know, you know it's crazy. It's crazy because you know, I just saw the dock not too long ago. It's not the eye opening and and a lot of my castmates we we hopped on a zoom call. We all wanted to talk about it. I mean, luckily during during our seasons it was it was very wholesome and sip. But you know, shout out to anybody who dealt with anything bad. I mean, I you know, my heart definitely goes out to them.
Speaker 2: Did you have a childhood growing up like were you able to do things that normal kids did or was it always I'm on set, I'm working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, to be completely real with you, I had a great childhood. My mom made sure that, you know, I had a good group of friends. I went to public school up until my last two years of high school. You know, I feel like having that grounded energy was definitely important for even me as a songwriter and a producer now and an artist. You know, I feel like, you know, I come from a very human place. It's not like I try to detach from who I am organically. You know.
Speaker 5: The thing I love about your music too is number one I can tell you, Ben, you got a sense of freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So did that come with money or does that come with just how you came up? You know, with your mom doing music? So you always felt free as an artiste?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, I think the greatest thing about being an artist is at it's a It's a great representation of being a free black man, you know, like, you know, being able to wear what I want, you know, say what I want on on record is really important to me. You know. I try to stay as grounded and as real to who I am as I can be. I mean, I think it's it's it's really easy to want to be an artist and play a character who you think people want you to be. But I'm doing my best to just like kind of just say what I want, do what I want.
Speaker 6: You know, when you come up with songs with like I like feelings on Silent with I Love Valle, but songs like that, like when I listen to it, each time I get something different from it. So the first time I listened to I was like, oh, this is like guys just being like we keep her feeling to herself. And then the second time I listened, I'm like, this is the trauma that they deal with because like he mentions PTSD and a bunch of other things, like how do you first of all, sitting back you wrote that, yeah, yeah, yeah, sitting back and writing with him, how do you be like, Okay, here's all the things that we want people to get when they hear this, or do you guys just write and whatever people get they get like where you dealing with something yourself then?
Speaker 1: Or you know, the way I wrote that record was really interesting. I was in I was in Italy actually, I was working with Ya and Todd Dollars on the Vultures one project, and we were at the Medici estate, which is really beautiful four seasons that they have out there, beautiful garden, and I'm listening to the instrumental from Conductor walking through the Garden and I just had some lyrics kind of you know, bubbling up in my head. Went back and we recorded it, but I think it was one of those moments that it was just kind of stream of consciousness. I didn't really think too hard on my sections. That was like my second take that you're hearing there. It wasn't like me like kind of really punching in a bunch of different ideas. It was just kind of flowing. And when Wilee heard it, that was probably the hardest verse to get because we did probably we did like five sessions to get that one verse. But Yo, he's so talented and seeing how he crafted his verse, I mean he would do like five bars at the time, and he really cared about the poetry of it all, you know, And it's why I really respect him as an artist.
Speaker 4: He's just a true lyricist.
Speaker 1: You signed the time, Yeah I am yeah, okay, yeah yeah, easy money and uh, it's in conjunction with Motown Records and just you know, between legacy and a new imprint. I think it's been really cool to to kind of break around in R and B right now. It's been a real special thing.
Speaker 5: Do I feel like mot Town Records is doing enough for you? I don't know why Leon Thomas is not in heavy rotation on every radio station off the planet. Whatever that button is that they need to push, it needs to be pushed.
Speaker 1: No, I appreciate it. Man. Well, I feel like opportunities like this are really helpful. I feel like radio stations are definitely looking at at platforms like this to say, okay, yeah, we feel comfortable, you know, trusting this new name and new face. You know, I've been doing this a long time, but I still look at this as a new artist journey because I really just started like taking the artist journey serious these these last five years. So I'm really thankful for the growth. I'm thankful for the wins. And there's you know, it's people working really hard at those labels with actually a lot of underfunding and collapsing of of uh you know, labels into one. It's it's it's just a lot of work and a lot of people are losing jobs, so people are afraid to push that button. Sometimes it could be the demise of their entire you know, careers. So I really respect the work that they're doing. I just know that this year is going to be really special for me man. I mean, I've been doing a lot of praying and manifesting for just new things, and you know, this was definitely on my bucket list. So I'm just appreciative to be here.
Speaker 5: Really, have any program directors the DJ's approached you and said, hey, if you slide me this under the table.
Speaker 1: Nah, Nah, definitely, Yeah, I got a new HOMIEI homie.
Speaker 2: We got to congratulate you on your GRAMM. Yeah, we tell everybody that we helped with that because we played Snooze every morning four times.
Speaker 1: Did you wrote Snooze produced on Snooze? Man? First of all, let's clear this up. Shout out to Scissors for writing that. We were producing in a separate room and she heard the instrumental and was like, yo, what is that? And you know there is something that I do where I like take my voice and I chop it up like a sample because clearance samples is really expensive and cuts into the publishing, so rather than it's like actually doing a sample, I'll just you know, sing a little something, right. So she really liked that and then took it into the other room and wrote an amazing song and being a part of the production on that with Babyface legendary baby Face was a true pleasure man. I mean it was a real journey to see that song go from like a crowd favorite to a Grammy Award winning R and V song. Man, that was that was definitely life changing for me.
Speaker 4: You got a deduction team, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Rascal was me, Me and and Chris tians Man. We've been working together since we were like eighteen, so it's really cool to see the growth. I mean we started off, you know, a little shaky when it came to production, but it's nice to see us, you know, really develop into the producers we are now. We had great mentors.
Speaker 7: Man, You have such you have such big moments.
Speaker 6: Like I thought I was tripping, but you just said these last what like five years is when you feel like things.
Speaker 7: That are really moving for you as an artist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Because I'm like, I know you outside of being an artist, but you have such big moments even before that and during that, but it's like, I don't know, like when do you feel like things started like to click finally where people were like, oh, shoot, Leon like we get it now.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting. I like to call it the Drake effect when I was working When I was working with Drake, all of a sudden, label executives who have known me for years were like, eh, I think you could be an artist, you know, And I was like, okay, So I kind of peeped that and I said, okay, well let's just start. Let's start kind of building this out. But I knew I wanted that that same formula that Drake had with a little Wayne and and you know, working with Todd dallas signe was a really smart move, not only because he's just an amazing artist, but because it was just nice to have a mentor who had done it already. So he's he's just like kind of like, yo, try this, make sure the look as this, or you know, even when it came to the music, like here's how you really format an album, and you know, I'm definitely doing a lot of studying, you know, shout out to Todd dallas On for sure. He definitely you know saw something in me that a lot of label executives were not sure about, and it's cool to see it developing.
Speaker 3: How did you?
Speaker 4: How did you me?
Speaker 1: I was actually working on his album as a producer on featuring Todd Dallas Sign. I was like one of I think nine producers on a song with Kanye and Thundercat and a bunch of other people.
Speaker 4: Nine producers on one record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like it was when it it was like point five, Like I was just there out of this or that vocal and like some bass or something. And then but but he had everybody play like their unreleased records and I played them some of my first album as like demos, and Todd was like, yo, you really You're really tight, you know as an artist, he was like man, And he was originally trying to record one of the songs that I had, but I was like, nah, I want you to feature on it. And uh. Over the years became really good friends. I was working with them a lot and just kind of developed into a into a whole situation with Sean Baron. Sean Barron is the guy who officially like put it all together with easy Money in Motown.
Speaker 6: Is it tough navigating because people are getting to know you now and there Airboy's fall in love with your music now, and like you have such a close association with Drake, you have to like pick and choose where you go musically and what you do musically with who you know.
Speaker 4: Honestly, can you work with Kendrick Lamar if you wanted to?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that's what she's asking. I mean, the way, the way I really look at it is just like on a political level, I make R and B. You know, obviously I make hip hop too, but I'm really focused on my artist's journey. So I mean, Kendrick is such a huge artist. I don't really foresee us working together in the near future. And even with Drake, you know, I still want to take my steps to really build on my own two feet as an artist. So I'm doing what i have to do right now to really like grow my own business. Touring is a big thing for me. I'm really focused on that. I'm hitting the road all this year and working on more records. So I mean, shout out to everybody, but I'm definitely focused on me.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you a buggess question about the production before we get into both of these great albums. But you when you are part of the Rascals, Yeah, if you all produced, but then you write, how do y'all do you get another check for writing? Is that two different checks?
Speaker 1: Or you know, publishing is interesting because you want to leave room for the artist. But I would definitely ask for more percentages if we were really heavily involved in the writing as well. But it's it's it's just an interesting thing, you know. I try to we try to keep it pretty even on the most part when it comes to production, especially if everybody who's in the room from the beginning of the record.
Speaker 5: What if it's your pin, it's everybody's production with your pin or.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like fifty to fifty, so you know, you have the first fifty is the production side, and the way I look at it is melody and drums, you know, uh, And then the second fifty is, you know, just the writing side, and it's just based off of how much you ended up writing of the song. Because a lot of artists are very involved with their storyline and lyrics and hook ideas. So I have no problem splitting that twenty five there. And then if I got fifteen on the production or twenty five on the production. Now I got fifty percent of a record.
Speaker 2: Y'all talk about that while y'all doing its.
Speaker 1: Trust me, we've definitely been through some things, you know, after the fact that people get amnesia. But I think, you know, it's it's really easier when you figure that out the day it happens. You know. We used to have split sheets there at the studio, which I thought was a really good practice, but we kind of let go of that.
Speaker 6: So talking about your phone and just in your notes, be like I put this there, Like, how do you keep up?
Speaker 7: Because you just eat.
Speaker 1: It's just way easier and I think smarter to just split everything even you know, if you can.
Speaker 7: Doing that though, people want to keep it thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean some artists with us, they are especially if you write and producing the song.
Speaker 3: You know, how is it with Kanye when you do splits and stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Oh lord, it's a little interesting, man, But you know, shout out to him. I feel like that experience was like more so just school for me on a production level. I've never seen anybody be so magical with their imagination. He would have these ideas and It was so cool to see teams of people make that a reality. And I think that's what I could take from that. I mean, publishing is important, but you know, it's the it's the true life experience from from seeing a free black man put stuff together was like, really tight.
Speaker 4: How old were you when you realize Vibes Don't Lie?
Speaker 5: One of my favorite records, When you first realized Vibes Don't Live?
Speaker 1: I think that was that was definitely early twenties. I think LA is filled with facades and people who are pretending to be something they aren't, people who moved from their hometown and create a whole new persona. So I think for me, just really studying folks, especially a lot of them. I mean, you deal without their you know, it's really important to study their actions and out their words.
Speaker 5: I love the fact that you are encouraging women women to keep their pussy healthy.
Speaker 4: Did you ever want to be a collegist?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I wasn't on the list. I just listen, Yeah, I just listen. I just listen. Man.
Speaker 4: So they tell you, like, HEYY is not feeling the best of this.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I just think balance is a conversation you know, I just listencause.
Speaker 5: You was very very specific. He said, uh, she only drink water.
Speaker 4: She keep that pussy healthy.
Speaker 6: Sat on Twitter, you'd be talking crazy like that, but you sing it so people can't be you had that conversation in real life, which your home, like you're not your home.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'm just big on shock value. I think songs, especially R and B songs, have gotten a bit not boring. But I think we've we've kind of already hit the golden era of R and B. So I'm just finding new ways to make people's years, you know, perk up and their minds move. I think social media and podcasts are really interesting to me. You know, these phone mics bring out so many conversations, and I think as an R and B artist, I want to find ways to let that live on the record, and it doesn't always have to be like verbatim of what I'm going through in real life. I think it's important to create the drama. You know, I kind of see music as you know, script and the score. So sometimes the records are just like really good dramatizations of like what I'm seeing, don't you never think.
Speaker 7: Everybody, but but like, w how does that go for you now?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't think. I don't think it's now.
Speaker 6: Expecting you to be like, all right, here's the check, Like how do you because you got the songs?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, you know, I definitely got the songs. But I think it's just important to be honest with your partner, you know, communicate. But but I think it's it's a it's a pretty interesting conversation. I try to stay out of if I don't have to. You know what I'm saying. No, I don't even know what that is. You put me all right now at a little.
Speaker 5: Bit, a little wax on it, a little pinky, put the pinky inside of hold on, jump you got something?
Speaker 4: Try to putting in his health. It should be you listen.
Speaker 1: You should do it on yourself. I don't know where you.
Speaker 4: Do.
Speaker 2: That is nothing that South Carolina the same road thing that they do.
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: I do not try that.
Speaker 7: He that doesn't.
Speaker 6: Your mom never told you that you guys to make it go drink ginger ales.
Speaker 7: Were talking about ginger up everything, not ear wax. Don't listen to him.
Speaker 5: That's why you say, that's what's crazy.
Speaker 7: Locomol used to be like go get some ginger and lay down.
Speaker 1: Wow about We love ginger ale around here.
Speaker 5: One thing I don't respect is what you did on how fast though?
Speaker 1: What's up? What's up on?
Speaker 4: People? In Honda?
Speaker 1: No, No is one of the most reliable. I love a good Honda. My dad has a Honda. I love Hondas. Here's the deal. It was a quick bar, you know. I was just in the booth wildy. I don't really have a problem with it. I think it was just more so I was just flowing, you know. And and I'm I'm big on not doing too many edits, like like when I when I record a record, it's like, what's coming to my mind on the first or second take is what's it's going to be there, you know. And I like to stand on my my you know, first mind. And it was more so just talking about the competition being slower than I am because moving at such a fast paced uh you know. The metaphor was about that. It had nothing to do with Honda, but Honda, you know, compared to a Lamborghini, is pretty you know, pretty slow.
Speaker 5: No, civics are more reliable civics to stick with you, like her bees.
Speaker 4: Bro. Yeah, what was your first car.
Speaker 1: My first car was Bene.
Speaker 6: Okay, you've been getting money for We just talked about his career.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, like, no, no, no, that was my first one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, did your therapist really tell you that you're too detached.
Speaker 4: You don't commit?
Speaker 1: Nah, I think I think you know that bar for me. I have a co writer, Busy Krug, and he lives in Miami, great rapper. That was a bar that came from him. He's very deep into therapy. But I'm glad that we talked about it on record because I mean it's something that I definitely did try out over the pandemic, and it's something that I actually really respect you a lot for a champion, you know. But but but yeah, that was a that was a bar from Busy. But I thought it was important to add in there.
Speaker 7: You know, don't try to blame Busy now, Nah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's you know, that's my co writer, you know, shout out to him, you know what I'm saying. Like, we we write a lot of our songs together, and I really respect a lot of a lot of the perspectives he brings to a lot of my poignant records. You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some great bars for Dancing with When I listen to Dancing with the Demons, do you.
Speaker 7: Ever get like Miguel references sometimes.
Speaker 1: Absolutely listening, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 7: My gosh, Like I wonder if like that, Like, are y'all do you know him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like my big bro. We actually did a movie together. He was in Detroit when I had to cut my hair for he was. He was an amazing, amazing mentor for me for some years. And you know that bridge between R and B and rock and roll, He's traveled across that bridge many a time. I definitely look up to him when it comes to that. And you know, for me, because I played multiple instruments, you know, I definitely try to just embody a lot of that energy. But but I think we both have the same influences as well.
Speaker 5: I agree with Lauren on that Miguel to me before you was the last great R and B male R and B singer. To me, I'm just talking about the new guy, right, Yeah, you know I'm talking about he was the last one, uh to me. And I felt the same way when I heard Dancing with the Demons. I feel like I feel like you're talking to yourself on that record.
Speaker 1: I am, I am, you know it was MI. I was microdosing on shrooms for a lot of like those batch of records, and it's it's it's like a very interesting thing because it connects your neuro pathways in a certain way and and you kind of start looking inward a lot more. And you know, that record was was was definitely like an internal conversation. Just on wax.
Speaker 5: You said you can't seem to save yourself or never learn to ask for help, going out all night searching for a feeling. Mm hm, So so what what what have you learned to ask for help?
Speaker 7: And so what I thought, because I took it as it wasn't talking about a woman at.
Speaker 1: Some point, well, I mean it's it's it's interesting for me, like that record. When I wrote it, I wrote it in two different days. The first day I was, you know, micro dosing on shrooms, so it's a bit of a haze. The next day I listened to it and I was like, man, this is really poignant stuff. I mean, it's just really talking about being up all night and searching for a feeling, and it's trying to fill voids. I feel like as uh, you know, when you're in your single journey, you can you can try to fill a void with a with a stranger, and that's not always very healthy. And it could be fun. It could be fun, for sure, But but but and then especially when you're when you're in the limelight. The second verse is more so talking about being in the limelight and trying to fill voice. Nobody really talks about the darkness that comes with the flashing lights. And yeah, that that that record was very deep and very personal for me. You know, I'm glad that people resonate with it.
Speaker 4: You said never learned to ask for help?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I think it's It's really interesting because one of the experiences I had with therapy was I was with a therapist and I'm talking about all this deep stuff in my life and you know, trying to unpack things, and at the end of it, he's like, have you ever been to a basketball game courtside? What's that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: He just started asking like all this stuff about like like being being famous essentially, And I don't know. It was just like an awkward moment for me, a place where I thought I could be safe in that one instance. Since then, I've found a really good therapist. But in that moment, it was that finely one of those things where it's like, damn, it's hard to ask for help because even when you ask for it, sometimes you don't get the right kind.
Speaker 5: I think when you're a black man, especially a black man in your position, it's hard to find culturally competent therapist because there's a lot of things that you're going to deal with that you're going to want somebody to understand.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, man. But you know, shout out to the great therapists out there, you know, definitely, it's definitely an amazing journey that that I'm trying to dig back into a lot more as as I continue to grow as a human being.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking about micro dosin on shrooms, But what does that put your mind? And do you always do that to produce and write?
Speaker 1: Nah? Nah, I mean, I think I think for this this album, it was an interesting opportunity to kind of unplug. I mean, I wasn't doing as many shows around that time too, so it was really helpful to to kind of just get into my own head and try to figure out who I am. You know, I definitely did a lot of manifest and a lot of just like writing who I wanted to be as a human being around that time, a lot of journaling, you know, and looking back at that season in my life, it was it was a journey for me to evolve into who I am right now. I wouldn't suggest people just go super crazy on shrooms or anything, but I think microdosing, you know, a small amount could be healthy if you're trying to just find yourself, you know, And at that time, I was trying to find myself, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, microdose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't really do nothing for me do it just makes me it feels like everything is an HD.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, But I mean if you got real things that you're trying to deal with internally, I think it can you know, put that in HD as well.
Speaker 4: In Washington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now see that that I mean, you know, I feel like I need to go down and live some more life before I really hit that that that will Smith journey. You know, he always talks about eye and stuff, but.
Speaker 4: You only do it when it calls you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Like for me, I was calling me for like six I say, about six years, seven years it was calling me.
Speaker 4: I did it for the first time last year.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wow, wow, how was that for you?
Speaker 4: Incredible? I did a three day, three day journey man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my boy, his dad runs like a whole situation and I think Mexico or something, uh for like ayahuasca and stuff. So I don't know.
Speaker 7: Maybe one day you said you were trying to find yourself. Did you find yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I mean I feel like that's a constant journey. That's like the whole part of finding yourself. You realize it. It never stops because we're always evolving, you know. But it's it's great that I was able to do it through music. That that that was like a version of musical therapy for me. And I'm glad that people are resonating with it, you know.
Speaker 5: And I love how you're normalizing dogs on but I'm not a dog anymore. There is a young, unhealed version of me that would have really appreciated that that record, because you make it sound so fun. It's almost like women are just gonna bring you in, like me domesticate you.
Speaker 7: Nah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was really just documenting what I saw, but nah, nah nah, it's definitely it's definitely to me. You post, you know, post breakup where where I just had to I just had to figure it out. But I think that's all a part of living, you know. Do you get nervous though this was a post breakup album. Yeah, this is a post breakup album. So this is me documenting, you know, finding myself. First off, like you know, you you're you're kind of broken after that, and then you got to you gotta put the pieces back together.
Speaker 4: Her fault.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, that's not her faults, our fault.
Speaker 4: It's her fault that you ended up being a dog. You went through your whole figure.
Speaker 6: Wait, so when you did Electric Dust, you said that you were happily single during that project too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you saw the relationship after that.
Speaker 1: Here's a deal. When I was when I was making Mutt. When I was making Mutt, it was at the same time that I had released Electric Dust. Like I started Mutt at the exact same time that I was releasing the Electric Dust. So we were at our tail end when I was doing how Fast of our relationship and then everything after that was breakup. So the first record was like the only season where we were still together, and then like after that was me just kind of you know, coming through my brain trying to figure things out, nights in La wilding out, you know what I'm saying. But I think it it all turned into great music, So you know, I'm glad I'm here to tell the story.
Speaker 4: Did a woman ever tell you that?
Speaker 1: For real?
Speaker 4: Like, take your time? Don't you rushing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean, you know, I don't know. I think that's a that's a that's an interesting bar because yeah, yeah it was. It was definitely a time, you know, take your time. That's low down baby.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think everybody should go through their whole phases, men and women. You should go through that phase where you get to just be free and be who you are or who you want to lay down.
Speaker 3: We get it, that whole phase with brothers Man's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nasty that.
Speaker 6: You're super famous. Your face, everything about your super recognizable. So how do you like? I don't know if you out the whole phase yet or not, but yeah, yeah, how how did you because we hear about you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, No, I mean I think it's just important to really stay focused on being grounded and nice to people and communicate, you know, that was the biggest thing. But I'm definitely in the journey of you know, trying to find my person right now. I know that may sound corny to certain people, but I think, you know, for me, I've seen so many examples of a huge artists, very rich people who don't necessarily have love and a support system around them outside of their family, and I want to build that for myself in my thirties. You know, I'm thirty one right now, so I'm looking forward to like having that. You know, at the end of it all.
Speaker 4: You got about five more years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I mean, you know, when trying to figure it out, Yeah, when I find the right person on that down.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be hard for you to find that right person because of who you are, you know what I'm saying, Like, I know my woman for twenty six years, they've been with this woman for.
Speaker 4: What thirty thirty is, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It's like it's gonna be hard for you just because you are Leon Thomas.
Speaker 4: You don't even know if girls like you for you for real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I'll figure it out. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's very commendable too that on the song safe Place, you let the person you're deal with No this isn't a safe place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think knowing that I wasn't necessarily ready to settle down. I think that conversation definitely came up a lot during I guess you were calling my whole face, you know, just understanding like, yo, I'm I'm not trying to settle down. This is a this is a fun place, you know. This is a time period where I'm just figuring me out. Work is crazy, it's ecnic, you know. And I think having that conversation was important to to, like you said, just avoid people not understanding what it was at the time, you.
Speaker 5: Feel, Lauren, Like if you when you're a woman and a guy comes you and the guy says, I'm a dog, I'm a mutter a god said, look baby, we can kick it.
Speaker 4: But just in the same place.
Speaker 7: I think it depends on the type of woman you are.
Speaker 3: You know, she's that person, she's the one.
Speaker 6: That tells don't listen to them, don't listen to them, No, you are lying. I think that you can appreciate honesty, but I also think that the honest it's unrealistic on both sides, because eventually, if you're spending enough time together regardless of what space is not you kind of get in the habit even if you're not attached.
Speaker 7: No, not of lying, but like of wanting to be with that person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yea.
Speaker 6: Then emotions and feelings come that you both said in the beginning, weren't it doesn't work out, the safe space becomes it's exploding it like everybody's all over the place emotions.
Speaker 1: That's something I didn't really you know, identify in the song.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she's it's a person because you're honest in music. But it's difficult to be face to face with somebody and be like it's very it's very difficult.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult. But I try, you know, I really try my best to be as honest as I can, you know. But yeah, those are hard conversations, man. You know, I can't sit here and say I've always done it right or I'm perfect or anything. But I try. I try to be like real, you know. I try to explain myself. But even when you explain yourself, sometimes wires get crossed, you know. So I'm packing it and communicating, you know, it's an important thing.
Speaker 4: Later on, No woman won't hear that after she just lets you hit ro.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's yeah, it's not as a woman ever said that to you when you were trying to like create, Like all right, maybe this is like a thing.
Speaker 1: She's like, Yo, remember I.
Speaker 7: Don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually yeah yeah. In my in my early twenties, I was talking to this amazing artist and yeah, she was just like listen baby, the same safe place kind of thing. You know, anybody know now She's like, no, no, no, I don't think you can tear it up a little bit. Yeah no, no, no. It was all good for me at that point.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, you know, it was definitely you know, it was definitely a realization for me. I was like, oh, it can happen on that side too. I was like twenty maybe twenty one, you know. Yeah, yeah, so I was like real young, you know, green Like, oh okay, alright, cool.
Speaker 3: So you're all looking for a relationship now if the right person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm definitely I'm definitely in that mode right now.
Speaker 6: Are you would you date other like artists, celebrities or do you like, how does that work?
Speaker 7: Are you doing?
Speaker 1: It's just tactic. I mean, you're kind of inviting the media into your life, like the one safe place you have. But I mean, who knows if I really catch a vibe with somebody who happens to be fan. I mean, I don't really care about that side of things, you know. I've been in the game a long time. I've met some beautiful women who are amazing artists. But it's just about the human being, you know, And it can be tough to to really build something if both of your schedules are super hectic. So I don't know.
Speaker 5: Even that's difficult though, because you could be dating a female artist who may be using you for your pen using.
Speaker 1: For you never know, You never know. But I mean, regardless, I feel like there's it doesn't matter. There's always an ebb and flow of like people using you for something. You know, it's it's a given take no matter how you really look at it. I think it's just important to at least be with somebody who genuinely cares and unpacking enough to get behind the facade. That is the first six month filter I like to call it, when people are acting all upright and righteous. You know, after those six months you can really usually unpack and find like a good idea of who that person is.
Speaker 4: So what does a safe place look like?
Speaker 1: For Leon Thomas, A safe place, you know, for me is being able to be honest with that person. And I'm goofy in real life, you know, so I want to have fun. You know, life can be kind of serious, So so I like my partner to be able to have a good time with me, you know, watch movies, go kick it, run around, you know, like like be a big kid with me.
Speaker 5: You also, you had an interesting line in the song where in a Safe Place where you say you put that on your trauma, and like.
Speaker 4: Trauma is something that we're all trying to heal.
Speaker 5: From, right Like you like a badge honor almost, like you put that on my mom, put that on my mom on the home.
Speaker 4: Why do you put that on the trauma? Like what does that mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it all kind of plays into the reasoning for why it's not a safe place, you know. But but but it was a bit of a badge of honor in that record for sure, for sure, because I think we should we should be able to wear our traumas in a way of being survivors of epic things and being able to move move past that and evolve from that. You know, m.
Speaker 3: Well, let's you want to get into a joint.
Speaker 5: I don't want to ask him a question too about another record on far Affetched. Yeah, you said, because he was having a big conversation to speak about tricking, because you know, Skip Bail is a legendly Oh my god, over somebody one point five and you say paid for my mistakes and benzes and diamonds too, fifty fronted like you was my artist. Five g's just across the Atlantic. We sat in silence for almost two hours.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a horrible BACA.
Speaker 4: Quarter million dollars. Yeah, benzes and diamonds.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, when I wrote that record, it was not for me. That was not a joint that I was originally gonna use for me. It was for somebody really famous and really rich. But I just love the way it sounded, and I was like, well, you know what, I love to speak in a world where I can actually afford that, why not let's manifest that.
Speaker 5: Don't you feel as an R and B artist though, when you write records for other people, but then you sing to yourself, you're setting an expectation that's not real for you.
Speaker 4: Because if I'm here, it's.
Speaker 1: It's hard, you know, like like I mean, I look at artists like Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osmore really wasn't eating thats like, but it's like it's it's so funny because like in like in and well accidentally but but but the whole thing is is that in rock and roll and pop, they get to live in these fantasy worlds. But it's so interesting in R and B and hip hop, it's it's like, so it has to be so really based and it's like, nah, I think it's important for us to be able to imagine and dream and create worlds that don't exist sometimes because I think that won't stifle new artists from continuing to do the same thing, like dream up the biggest thing. You know. Drake even said in some of his bars back in the day he was talking about rolls voices and Bentley's and shit he just didn't have you know at the time. So it's essentially me doing the same thing. And I always speak you know, future future focused, you know, abundance mindset. You know, I'm trying to build a world where you know, I can definitely definitely afford that.
Speaker 4: So why not so you would trick, you would give a girl.
Speaker 1: You know what, That's not how I be spending my money, Charlot Mane, but just the fact that I could afford it.
Speaker 5: You know, let's go in Lucid Dreams, you talk about just significant other leaving things behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a that was a fun record with Massego after a breakup.
Speaker 4: Why do you think that topic is taboo?
Speaker 1: I don't really consider it taboo necessarily, but I think it's just like it's just funny because for me, I was living with my ex for like a couple of years, so she just had like a closet filled with clothes at my crib and it had been like a year and a half since we were broken up, so we were we were in the in the studio talking about different things. Uh. The guitarist and producer on that song Freaky Rob his girl left a flat screen at the house that he had to use to watch Netflix, and he was like, man, when's she gonna take this flat screen? And uh, you know, Massego also had a similar situation like that at his crib with the couch. So we were all just kind of using all of our different experiences putting it into a song, and you know, just locking it in.
Speaker 4: It's different when it's closed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you clear you cleared out the yeah, definitely clears out the Yeah, yeah, clear out the closet.
Speaker 7: Did you move out of the apartment or you just cleared out the closing.
Speaker 1: Nah, I'm still at the crib, you know what I mean, still at the crib. You know, there's definitely a certain interior design choices I'm gonna switch up.
Speaker 6: So but it's like real recent yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: You think these labels know how to market R and B nowadays, especially Male RB.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's kind of it's kind of interesting because we used to have one O six in park. We used to have like a different perspective on R and B, and I feel like the fantasy could be alive in a different way. You know, a lot of the music is driven by culture recently, which I think is dope. But but but R and B is definitely a place of fantasy, you know, Jodasy in the desert and leather, like, you know, it's like it's like a very ethereal place sometimes when you really look at it. So I think it's really tough for labels to find that that balance and especially because most and b artists are like really inspired by by alternative music. So you know, you got you know, your babies of Scissor and of you know, Brand and Miguel even and it's it's kind of hard. It's not the same thing they used to have to market and a lot of those same.
Speaker 2: Executive as options, right because you think about it, before the label gave people what they wanted to hear, oh for sure, But now it's like you put out an album and it's almost like they wait to see what's on connects first, exactly what connects We're gonna go with Mutt, you know, dance with Demons connects.
Speaker 3: So I think you give people of an option and allow people to pick their.
Speaker 4: Own when they connect, they still don't know what the hell to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's it's it's tough. It's tough, man, it's tough. I definitely don't envy their seat right now, trying to figure out how to navigate through nine different platforms, uh, social media, a TikTok that's about to go away in a couple of months, and like Frank McCort, you think, so, Frank, all right, bet, But regardless of ship's fucking nuts, like everybody trying to figure it out. Like it's really hard, it's really hard to deal with, you know.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and it I don't feel like it's a separation either, right because if I look at Leon Thomas, he looks like a rapper cunty, you know what I mean, Like like there there used to be a look to R and B sing.
Speaker 6: But your aesthetic is like fashion your shows, like the lighting. I don't know if you did that a purpose, but like the light shoes and stuff like that, it all gives like an art creative like it's the vibe.
Speaker 7: But like, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying what I want. No, I mean, I'm doing what i want. Man, you know, I'm really just I'm really just rocking, you know. I mean I think for those of us out there in the R and B world who want to have, you know, the six pack and do the gy rating and the baby oil and shit, like you know, do you think? But no, But what I'm saying is is that like like like the whole vibe of it is is is a that's its own thing. I think what I'm creating creatively is my own world and it's it's it's rooting and rock and roll. It's rooting and doing what I want to do, you know, and and I'm I'm glad I have the creative control to go there. You know.
Speaker 5: That's the beauty of R and B artists though, because there's so many RNs B artists that are just ugly, but their music is so good that women love them.
Speaker 7: I mean like actually ugly, not.
Speaker 5: Just like cosmetically challenged cosmetically, but they get on stage and they do that the deflexing and the singing, and women they freaking mind.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, right, right right. What you're not calling I was about to say, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like beauty because there's so many ugly not at all.
Speaker 4: For sure, It's not my place to say, for real, la is the ugly?
Speaker 1: All right? Thank you, thank you, Lauren.
Speaker 3: Can we get into a song of that album?
Speaker 1: What you want to would be amazing this morning?
Speaker 4: What you want to hear? Right now?
Speaker 1: Let's play? Yes it is? It would be really cool?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's get into it right now. Yes it is. The album is out right now, make sure you pick it up. And we appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me. Man, it's a big opportunity.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's Leon Thomas the album What is out Now, and it's The Breakfast Club, Good Morning.
Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 4: Breakfast Club