Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It is Monday, February where I why, Wow, that was a great start February second, I may me refove.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ. Holmes. Some of us do better with a little sleep than others. This is amazing. You've been off this morning. This is a second episode we've we've recorded this morning, and you kept calling Trevor, Noah, Noah, Trevor. Yeah, reasons I can't understand.
Speaker 1: My sleep score is fifty five. I got three hours. Hold on, let's see, because we watched we stayed up and we watched the Grammys.
Speaker 3: So let's see.
Speaker 2: I got up to get into let's take it too long now.
Speaker 1: Officially three hours and thirty four minutes of sleep. Okay, So my apologies in advance for my less than stellar performance on the Morning Run.
Speaker 2: Well, expectations are now low, folks, and with that, welcome to this Monday Morning Run. Yes, I'm DJ Holmes. A run this morning. It's going to take us to Tucson, up to Minneapolis, to Washington, DC, to Los Angeles, but it will take us first to puck Satani, Pennsylvania. Time for us to pull that rope out of the ground for that annual tradition. Yes, Phil has spoken. We saw thousands out there, as they always do, gather at Gobbler's Knob to watch Phil make the prediction on the timing of warmer weather. I watched more than I usually do. I usually just see the last clip. But they do take this very seriously. But they yank the roade out of the ground, and sure enough he saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of winter. This goes back to eighteen eighty seven. And yeah, they're decked out in a huge freezing up there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think they said was it feels like negative five? But thousands of people. I mean, it's wild when you see the amount of people who travel to almost like a pilgrimage to Pucksatani, Pennsylvania. And yes, the Pucks a towny Groundhog Club members all wearing tuxedos and top hats. And they say that Phil is nearly one hundred and forty years old. Did you know he he's immortal because he drinks the elixir of life. Okay, yes, that's what they say.
Speaker 2: Can we get that somewhere? Is it available?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Can we all drink what Phil is drinking.
Speaker 3: How accurate is Phil though? That's a big question, right, So.
Speaker 1: We've just been told six more weeks of winter because he saw his shadow. Well, Noah has weighed in on the accuracy of Pucksatani Phil. His predictions over the past decade were right thirty percent of the time.
Speaker 2: What we did all this for thirty percent of a time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot of pomp and circumstance, but not a lot of accuracy. That means, because I'm really good at math, seventy percent of the time, he's wrong, you know what. I'm okay with that because I don't want six more weeks of winter.
Speaker 3: So let's hope that he's wrong.
Speaker 2: But man, if your meterologers was wrong seventy percent of the time, you would.
Speaker 3: Still have a job.
Speaker 2: They would.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're often at least fifty percent of the time.
Speaker 2: Were continuing here on this February second, it's second day now of Black History Month. We're officially in to February. This is the one hundred year anniversary of recognizing Black History in the US. It didn't always start as a month. It started as a week. Nineteen twenty six, Negro History Week. Forty years later in the sixties, that one week expanded to a full month, but not a national holiday until nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is when President Gerald Ford officially recognized Black History Month for the month of February. Why February, We all know why I put it in parentheses. Not because it's the shortest month, TJ. That's always been your explanation.
Speaker 2: Everybody's explanation. We understand it's the shortest month possible. Okay, fine, we'll take a week again.
Speaker 1: Right, So the official explanation is that February was chosen because of the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglas. They actually don't even know Frederick Douglas's actual birthday, but they celebrated on February fourteenth, on Valentine's Day. So they say, because both men were celebrated by the black community. Oh my god, at the start of Negro History Week nineteen twenty six, that is the reason why February, to honor their birthdays is the month for black you're not buying it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just that Black History Month will spawned half because of a white guy, Like we were honoring a white guy in this Black History Month. Now, it's fine, we get it. It's fine, but yes, Happy Black History Month to you all. We're gonna say it every day. We only have twenty six more days to say it, all right, continuing on this one day morning run. Now, I guess you may have seen little Liam is home. And you know who I'm talking about already, the five year old boy who's picture of that backpack and that hat pulled at everybody's heartstrings up there he was being taken into custody by ice. Well, he has been released along with his father, as so ordered by a judge. Texas Congresman picked them up this weekend. It's goorted them back to Minnesota on Sunday. They are back there. We're talking about Representative Joaquin Castro. He said Liam was depressed, not eating well, but thanked everybody for demanding his freedom.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know what, photo ops are a big deal.
Speaker 1: The ill Congresswoman Ilhan Omar was waiting with open arms for Representative Castro and of course the father and son duo posing for a photo, thanking Castro for traveling back to Minneapolis with them. Now, the judge who ordered their release also included some exceptionally harsh words for the Trump administration. He wrote a scathing court order releasing the two but chastising the Trump administration for their ignorance of an American historical document called the Declaration of Independence. There are plenty of sarcastic lines throughout that court order. But you'll remember Liam and his father were taken into custody on January twentieth. DHS said this was a targeted mission to deport his dad, but the family says they entered the country legally under a now defunct Biden program. But the good news is father and son are back home with mom and the rest of the family.
Speaker 2: All right, continuing on the run here on this Monday morning. The government is shut down again, partially, we're told. We were told also they was going to be worked out today. Now we're being told it's going to be worked out by tomorrow. Don't know how much of this to believe, but the Senate voted Friday to separate a DHS funding bill from the other funding packages. Democrats are demanding that there'd be a change to DHS before they approve all of this funding, so they've separated it out. So they've given themselves a deadline out for a couple of weeks to do that. The House was supposed to vote on the legislation, this new deal, this new package today, then it was going to head to Trump's desk for a signature. Again, was supposed to be today.
Speaker 1: What's the problem, leng However, House Democrats are saying yet, not so fast. So Speaker Mike Johnson is not going to get the two thirds majority to bring the vote to the full floor. So now they have to go through a couple more steps. He has to push this funding package through committee first before it can go to the full vote on the House floor. But Johnson said on Sunday he is confident the package will pass tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right, we share in your confidence, Speaker john And continuing, now President Trump is closing the Kennedy Center, renamed it now, closing it not permanent, We're it told, but yes, follow along here, first a new board, then a new name, now a new look, and it's going to force it to close. He says for two years. He announced this on truth Social that his decision to close and renovate the center will first have to be approved by the board. Really, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: He tried to act like I'm not doing this on my own. The board will have to approve my plans that have already been completely financed.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is the same board that chose to change the name of the building on their own.
Speaker 1: Well, and he was ready with those new shiny Trump letters to put up on that building the next day.
Speaker 2: Hobby lobby has a lot of stuff, you don't know.
Speaker 3: I think they probably have it, Okay, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: So Trump says the center is going to officially close on July fourth, and yes, financing is already ready to go and full in place. He called the Kennedy Center tired, broken and dilapidated, adding that it's been in bad condition, both financially and structurally for many years. He says there's going to be a big, grand reopening after the renovation, and of course we're already hearing from Representative Joyce Speedy.
Speaker 3: She is Democrat from Ohio.
Speaker 1: She was a former board member, but she has said, hey, President Trump, here we go again, acting with total disregard for Congress. The Kennedy Center is congressionally funded. Congress should have been consulted about any decision to shut down its operations or make any major renovations, especially for two years. Yeah, she said the same thing about the renaming. So far, Trump's just been able to go ahead with his plans.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have no idea legally, what can they stop him? Can they do this? I don't know. We I'll see all that one as well. I want to turn now to a very concerning story out of Tucson, Arizona, actually where today's show co hosts Savannah Guthrie's mom is missing. And some of the things we're getting from are really concerning in how they're describing it, and they're not being too specific yet. But this is eighty four year old Nancy Guthrie. She was last seen Saturday night at her home that's just outside of Tucson. Guthrie was reported missing by her family around noon yesterday. Police are saying that what they found at the home has caused them and I quote, grave concern. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The sheriff had a late night press conference last night and told reporters that yes, he hopes they find Guthrie safe and sound, but added, we can't ignore what's in front of us, saying this one stood out because of what we found and located just in looking at the scene, and the scene is Guthrie's home, so homicide detectives we know have been called in to process the scene, and the sheriff said foul play cannot be ruled out. This is so so disturbing, and they made this a big point even though she's eighty four years old. She has no cognitive issue, so this isn't about her wandering off or not being.
Speaker 3: In charge of her facilities.
Speaker 1: No, they say, yes, she has some physical issues in terms of just her ability to move around at eighty four, which is understandable, but this is not a case of, you know, someone who's older who's just wandered off.
Speaker 3: That's not what they're looking at.
Speaker 1: So Guthrie's family put out a statement thanking everyone for the outreach, the thoughts and the prayers, but they're urging anyone with information to call police.
Speaker 3: There is certainly a lot more to come on this story.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the Today's show, she was off work this morning. Someone is filling in for But they did again the show by talking about their family member, how they put it of course close to their home, and they spend the first almost ten minutes of the show really doing a deep dive on what's going on out there. You know, your heart goes out to that entire network, almost certainly NBC News, because something like this is for your family member, like that, something happening to their mom, This is a tough time for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and I know Savannah and worked with her for a long time and everyone, of course, most people have a close relationship with their moms, but she especially does. She has brought her on the show so many times, talked about their relationship, and yeah, my heart, our hearts go out to Savannah because that's just an unthinkable just to not know what's going on with your own mother. That is certainly heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: All right, well, folks, stay with us here on this Monday morning run. When we come back, if you haven't gotten your updated real ID yet, that will be forty five dollars the next time you fly. Also coming up, what a night at the Grammys and poor they sure didn't do right by share we'll explain some of the biggest moments last night. Also a big moment at the box office. The number three movie at the box office really did have the best weekend at the box office. There we continue on this Monday morning Ron We've been trying to tell you the clock is ticking. You need to get that real id Well haven't gotten. Now you've had to pay up if you want to fly without one or an accepted alternative like a passport. I wonder what the percentages of people in the country that have passports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know the answer to that, but there certainly, I'm sure is a huge percentage of people who are now left out of you know, not having a passport and not having this real idea.
Speaker 2: They had just started yesterday, so that was the deadline February first. They've been telling folks for months about this, but yes, eighteen or older, any passenger now will have to pay forty five dollars to have their identity verified in order to pass through TSA security if you don't have that real idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they said that this forty five bucks goes basically towards the cost of TSA workies, workers, workies. Wow, I'm sure I'll have a few more wonderful nuggets before the end of this.
Speaker 3: It's a cute podcast.
Speaker 2: TSA workers Oftentimes they don't seem to be you know, sometimes that pleasant, but if you just look at them as little workies.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Wait, they say, the cost to identify or to verify people's identification has been shouldered by taxpayers up until now. So you now, the person who chose not to get their real ID is going to have to shoulder the burden of that forty five bucks. And they made it very clear, they said there is not a free option. So apparently people may have been asking for the free option and they're like, there isn't one.
Speaker 3: You have to pay forty five bucks, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, These sixty eighth Annual Grammy Awards took place in Los Angeles last night, and what a show it was. It had drama, it had mishaps, it had political statements, and it had a joke that might even land the host in some legal trouble.
Speaker 3: At one am this.
Speaker 1: Morning, President Trump was on Truth Social threatening Slash, promising to sue host Trevor Noah for a joke he made about Trump and Bill Clinton on Epstein Island. And we said this even watching the first hour of it, the show felt more like a concert, which I'm not complaining about, than an awards show because of just all of the incredible performances. One after another. Bruno Mars was amazing, Lola Young, Lauren Hill. I mean, there were just so many wonderful performances.
Speaker 2: We had to your point. I don't know what the total count was of awards that made the broadcast, but we know in the first hour they only got through two awards, and again one award in the first fifty five minutes because the second one wasn't until like the top of the hour. But it barely got through one award in the first hour. Look, the performances were cool.
Speaker 3: They were Yeah.
Speaker 1: You looked at me and you're like, wait, have they even given out more than one award? You forgot because you were so swept up in the performances. You actually I forgot that we were waiting on who was gonna win.
Speaker 2: They were cool, and we didn't have to wait too long to see Bad Bunny and Kendrick Lamar pick up some awards. Bad Bunny had the night of the night. I guess anybody who wins Album of the Year that was the baby. But he got three wins last night. He had some powerful moments and a lot of he's been caught up in and the target of a lot of folks having to do with what's happening on the streets with ice. But last night he did have a message just about you can't meet hate with more hate, you could only meet it with love. Kendrick Lamar rap Album of the Year and Record of the Year for Lutha with Scissa and then Chaer Robes. This was a bit of a mess. She was getting the Lifetime Achievement award. They kind of did a little screwy odd intro to her. She got confused, rambled through a speech, then was wandering walking off, but hey, come back, you're supposed to intro this next award. It was a little bit of a mess.
Speaker 1: And then when she had to actually announce the award, she got confused and said that Luther Gandros won instead of Kendrick Lamar and Sissa for their song Luthor.
Speaker 2: That was her brain trying to catch out with what her mouth was doing.
Speaker 1: And I am not one this morning to throw any shade on anyone for getting their words jumbled.
Speaker 2: They didn't do her right. That just that whole segment when she was set up to not win. So last night Billy Eirish and her brother Phineas they always win something. But Song of the Year for wild Flower, and then Best New Artists had to go to Olivia Dean great, great category, great artists in that one, but they got this one right.
Speaker 1: With It was so fun to see her excitement at winning, and she was so sweet getting up there and accepting her award. Jelly Roll won three Grammys, the big one Contemporary Country Album of the Year. He was very grateful to God for all of that. And Lady Gaga won three Grammys. She's up to seventeen now, isn't that remarkable? Including Best Pop Vocal Album for Mayhem, and many pointed out, much to the annoyance of Miley Cyrus I should say, seeming displeasure, she got caught on camera looking less than enthusiastic about Lady Gaga's win.
Speaker 3: She was also nominated in the category Oh.
Speaker 2: No, I would like to hear. I mean maybe she had she ate something bad before.
Speaker 3: The show definitely could have been what it was.
Speaker 1: Lowly Young won Best Pop Solo Performance for Messi, and her performance that she gave earlier in the evening was just incredible and certainly memorable. So she had just an adorable reaction to to winning and had no speech prepared and was just sweet, and she was kind of messy, and that was perfectly fitting for the song and.
Speaker 3: For what she brought to the show. She was great.
Speaker 2: All right, final leg of the run. Here now the box office. After all that, we are wrapping up here talking about the number three film at the box office over the weekend. We don't usually do that. I want to tell you about what's number one. But it's a big deal. That number three was Milania Twenty Days to History. It's number three, but it exceeded everybody's expectations and defied all of the negative reviews. It brought in an estimated seven to eight million dollars. That now, in terms of blockbusters and all this, that doesn't sound like a big deal for a documentary, Robes, that is a big deal. That is a big number, one of the biggest we've seen in the past decade for a documentary opening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they called it the strongest start for a non music documentary in more than a decade. They thought it was going to make five million. So when you exceed those types of numbers, it's always going to make headlines. Now, I thought this was interesting. The audience they've said was very specific. Seventy two percent of people who went to go see Milania were women over the age of fifty five. Damn, isn't that remark. I mean, that's a jaw dropping statistic. Yes, And seventy eight percent of the audience was fifty five or older.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's so interesting it is.
Speaker 3: But here's the other thing.
Speaker 1: Milania beat out Jason Statham's new action film Shelter, which brought in a disappointing five point five million. I think a lot of headlines sadly written about that, saying this is Jason Statham's worst opening movie in eighteen years, Like this is just it.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty big bomb for him. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Number two at the box office this weekend was also a major upset, a huge surprise. Iron Lung. Never heard of it. This is a self financed indie film from a gaming YouTuber and it's all based on a submarine simulation horror game that's called Iron Lung. And look these gamers. You see people coming out and just they I mean they come out in mass numbers and they showed up for this film and it brought in twenty million around the world. That was a shocking number and number one of the box office dying to see this. I'm very excited Rachel mcadam's horror movie Send Help, and it's been highly reviewed ninety three percent on Rotten Tomatoes, eighty nine percent audience score. It opened to twenty eight million worldwide, so it's well on its way to doing extremely well. We will be contributing to that and to Millenia. We got to see Millenia that's happening today.
Speaker 2: We're going to try to get that in this afternoon, but we have trials to watch.
Speaker 3: It's just so much to see so little time. Right. That's where we are right now.
Speaker 1: But we are now going to leave you with our quote of the day on this Monday.
Speaker 3: I thought this was a cool one.
Speaker 1: No one tells you how hard it is to rewire your brain to allow amazing things to happen after experiencing trauma or pain. Blessings exist, good people exist, and a softer life exists.
Speaker 3: Let it happen.
Speaker 1: Once you go through tough times, you start to look at life through a lens right of it's always going to be bad?
Speaker 3: What's next? What else is going to happen to me?
Speaker 1: And you start to get just dragged down with pessimism because you've experienced some shit in your life. I liked this about rewiring your brain that it does take hard work, but you can do it. This from Instagram, I love I love my Instagram quotes.
Speaker 2: Are you almost ashamed.
Speaker 1: Because I find a lot of my inspiration on social media?
Speaker 3: But I love this.
Speaker 1: So no one tells you how hard it is to rewire your brain to allow amazing things to happen after experiencing trauma, trauma or pain, blessings exist, good people exist, and a softer life exists. Let it happen. It's also it's about manifesting. You know, if your thoughts become you know your experiences, and what you are is what you attract. I think all of that lands and again it's all about making us recognize the power we have in our own brains, in our own minds to let good things happen.
Speaker 2: All right, Happy thoughts with Amy Roebuck and with that everybody. We always appreciate you spending some time with us. Plenty of updates coming your way on our feet today it's another busy, busy news day. If you want to hear our take on what happened at the Grammys last night and why they did share so so badly. Take a look at the episode we have up right before this one. But with that, folks, always appreciate your running with us. I'm TJ.
Speaker 1: Holk and I'm Amy Roebach. We will talk to you very soon.